Where were you when ….. ?

Johnny Jensen scored?  No, not the one-off on that sunny afternoon defeat to QPR, the one which prompted the ” I was there was Jensen scored”  t-shirts. No, I am talking about the one which led to our signing Mr Jensen, that phenomenal shot which won Denmark Euro ’92.

It was 20 years ago today (good opening line for a song!) in the sun of Gothenborg when John *Faxe* Jensen marmelised the ball for the first goal during the Euro ’92 Final against Germany. It was the first time I had noticed the curly haired battler in the tournament; prior to that he was just a member of a Danish team who were lucky to be at the tournament let alone in the Final. And I,like many thousand of Gooner’s thought – “Hey, here is a DM with a dynamite shot who would be great at Highbury”. Next thing we know George Graham has signed him and JJ went onto have a 4 year, 132 game career at THOF.

And what of our free-scoring new Dane, “Faxe” Jensen? Well, the nickname should have been a clue …. Faxe is an extra strong Danish beer . In fact the Brondby stadium he left now has a Faxe Jensen stand, which is testimony to John’s drinking talent!

Joining an Arsenal midfield including the mercurial talent of Rocky Rocastle, Jensen was the water-carrier. A hard working, energetic, give and go player with little pace and little creativity, but a man who would put his body on the line – he was to be the embodiment (pardon the pun) of the new George Graham Arsenal. A dull player in a dull team.

JJ is a regular commentator on Danish television and his goal has been shown countless times during the run-up to the Euro’s. When questioned in ’92  as to what he thought when the ball came to him JJ said ” I just thought, kick the thing as hard as possible in the Arse” – which immediately became another T-shirt slogan.

If ever a goal flattered to deceive, this was it.

Written by BigRaddy

138 Responses to Where were you when ….. ?

1. [...] Where were you when ….. ? [...]

2. Scott says:

Can’t remember :)

To answer the “where were you?” question, I haven’t the foggiest. Not 100% certain where I was yesterday :-(
    Funny post Raddy, thanks, and welcome back.
    Me, back later.

Scott,
    I would say “great minds” and all that, but that’s clearly not the case :-)
    Work.

5. vernat1066 says:

Never minded John tried his heart out, shame he was not as talented as he was determined

6. Morning all, thanks for the nostalgic trip down memory lane Bug Daddy…BREAKING NEWS, AFC finally confirm Giro’s signing on Arse.com. http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/olivier-giroud-agrees-deal-to-join-arsenal

mmmmm strikeforce of VanGiroPod … all left footers …. interesting

8. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Raddy how very dear you bring up the win by Danes to further highlight Englands lack of trophies. Is tomorrows post ‘My memories of Greece 2004′..??

England could have done with John Jensen over the last two weeks or so. The willingness to give and receive short passes simply to retain possession in your own half until you are ready to move forward, is a much neglected trait in the UK game of late.

GK or def has the ball and everyone runs away.

9. Surely Giro has to have the number 9 shirt ? The riddle of the current number 9 must be solved one way or the other, and PDQ.

10. Arsenalista says:

I was sitting in the same spot as I was when Micky Thomas scored that goal at Anfield. The lounge floor.

I must object in the strongest terms to us using the nickname Giro for Giroud.

I think we have enough forwards on benefits as it is, Bendtner, Vela, Chamakh, Arshavin.

Not been around for a while, not getting neurotic about Arsenal this summer. It was a long season.

Well done to Arsene two deals of what i think will be a very busy summer done.

Moved out of Islington up to Highgate last week. Very sad but you can still see the Emirates with a short walk. Summer is very relaxed up here.

Hi Arsenalista,

We need to find a moniker for our new signing, I see what you mean about Giro, – can you think of anything better?

‘Larry’ perhaps (Olivier)

12. Arsenalista says:

It isn’t easy, his name does make him sound a bit of a dandy.

Big Ollie?

I always feel a right plonker yelling from the stands at the French players we had.

Get in there Pascal, put some effort in Gael. Some how it’s not quite the same.

I like Big Ollie. Let’s Englify him.

13. “Giro” is nice and easy to say, but it does have bin-dipper associations, as in they live off their Giro’s.

14. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

10.53 *how very dare*

‘Oli G’ ? (as opposed to Ali G)

16. glic says:

If he ends up like Chamakh, I can think of a few choice names !.

17. glic says:

Was It Oz who implied the French stink with his bar of soap jokes ?.
    Arsenalista suggests Big Ollie , fine , or BO for short !.

18. Come on, give the guy a chance; don’t write him off as another Chamkah before he’s even kicked a ball in anger for us.
    Let’s get behind our new signings and get the best out of them while they wear the blessed red and white(with blue hoops).

Here here chary. I think the Pod has performed excellently for Germany and is just the sort of no-nonsense player ( a la Arteta) that we need in the side.

Giroud’s history so far is infinitely better than Chamakh’s before he joined so there is no comparison there …. he can score with his feet for a start and is far more aggressive in his play.

20. glic says:

Dont worry guys, I shall be a 100% behind any player once their on the pitch wearing the shirt. Like others, I shall voice my opinion ( good or bad ) much further on into the season.

21. glic says:

I dont know what Park has kicked in anger, hasn`t been a ball !. :)

The new signings are on the right hand side at the top of the page

23. glic says:

Well done Rasp, being the first man with knowledge of the G-Spot !. How much you going to charge for giving this imformation ?. :)

Hi glic,

It is located between the goal posts, top right corner :lol:

25. glic says:

I`m willing to bet the “Outs ” will be a longer list than the ” In`s “. What odd`s you gunner give me ?. :)

26. glic says:

Damn It Rasp, I can never reach that far even if I jump !. :)

Considering we only need 2 more ins (GK and MF), and we could offload up to 6 players, I’d have to agree with you on that one glic.

28. glic says:

Who do you fancy for them 2 spots ( within reason. no Iniesta as aparrantly he`s a crap goalie ) Rasp ?

Hi glic,

M’Vila for the MF and an experienced second choice keeper like Schwarzer/Jääskeläinen if Fab2 decides to go.

30. @Rasp (re: 10.27am)
    mmmmm strikeforce of GiroPod … both left footers …. interesting.
    Plus Chamakh.

31. glic says:

Have to agree Rasp.
    Plus If RVP signs and Jack hits the ground running, plus ( hopefully ) the two newbies settle in, then a decent season Is In the making !.

Hi Big Al, I’m fraid I’m noit a big fan of Chamakh.

If he has any ambition he will ask to leave as he’s now at least 4th choice striker – although I suspect that would result in him accepting lower wages if he went elsewhere.

With you on that one glic. If the worst happens and RvP and Theo both leave, we will still be in far better shape than at the start of last season.

Rasp,
    I think oppositions need to start “tooling up” the right sides of their defences. I have a hunch we’ll be doing a little attacking down the left :-)

Hi Micky, you’re right. It’s good to see two players with a bit of muscle in the side, I can’t see either of them getting pushed off the ball too easily.

36. @Rasp
    I agree with you actually, and I’m not a big fan of Chamakh either. HOWEVER if RPV leaves (and I personally think he WILL), and if the other three mentioned leave (and I personally think they WILL), that leaves us a striker short. And Chamakh has shown no desire to leave. That was actually my point, or would have been if I hadn’t been so childish with my daft copy-and-pasting.

37. @ Rasp (continued)…
    I must grow up! Some complete b#st*rd referred to me yesterday as “not so big al.”
    Him and a few dozen Thai babes…

Thanks Big Al,

I find Chamakh’s reported statement that he is ‘happy at Arsenal’ rather disappointing. Strikers above all other players, should want one thing only – to score goals. Chamakh unfortunately seems contented to be a bit part player, he should be saying that he is unhappy with his performance and wants to force his way back into the side.

I wouldn’t want to keep him even if Theo and RvP leave because he’s not hungry enough. I think he’s better suited to continental football.

39. RVP won’t leave now. M’Vila will be next in.

Big Al, your comments are absolutely fine, don’ take any notice of what other bloggers say …. anyone can try to be a big man when hiding behind a keyboard.

Rasp,
    Is “better suited to continental football” a bit like saying someone is “overweight” or even a “buddhist”?

Hope you’re right there gg. If RvP wanted to see some ambition from the club then M’Vila and the 2 we’ve signed should prove the point. If he’s not happy with that maybe man city beckons.

haha micky, you spotted my euphamism for ‘not very good’ :lol:

44. Where was I when the Danes did a Greece? Here

I think City does beckon. Let’s wait and see.

Rasp,
    So we can now add “continental” to the ever growing list of AA’isms.

47. jnyc says:

I agree Rasp, i do really want mvila, i would feel so confident about next season – then, it would be a shame to have to worry about depth at gk. Just an experienced pl keeper as insurance. I think jaskelainen was signed somewhere already? We would be really strong with these additions, and the coming subtractions. I think the fact that we bought before offloading, shows wenger trying to make a point to rvp , and to all of us! i think much of the problems of last summer were beyond his control.

48. Some one on Twitter says that on Giro’s “bio” he claims to be Arsenal’s number 9.

Suppose we’ll have to wait till the squad numbers are sorted in August some time till we know for sure.

Chary,
    My dear boy, some on Twitter say the world is ruled by reptillians!!!

Johnny/Rasp,
    I do like the little ins/outs box, but does anyone think the monies ins/outs will balance at the end of the window or are we going full steam for a net spend. Consider also the Robin situation, which if he stays, would amount to a massive net spend in itself.

51. True, Mdi89 – it’s no better than Facepalm for solid facts, but sometimes it’s not complete tosh.

52. Reddawn says:

Three cheers for Fulham, they want to buy Ramsey.

All true,
    I even heard that it was reported on Twister or Faceoff that Heavy Metallists really do wash :-)
    Reddawn,
    Come on now, be honest, is that another bit of Tweetage?

54. MDi89 – think about the pungency of a french, heavy metallist, red headed or not, lol.

55. Rob Lucci says:

Giroud is also looking forward to meeting up with his old teammate Laurent Koscielny. The two played together at Tours and will cross streams again next season in red and white.

“I’m happy that he’s here now and that I can join him, and it’s a nice story because we were together at Tours four years ago, and we just missed out on getting promoted into Ligue 1.

“Laurent and I have talked a lot. I asked him about life, the club and the environment of the club. We talked about English football because like I said I’ve wanted to play here since I was a kid.

“It was my dream to play in the Premier League so Arsenal was ideal for me and Laurent told me it was a good choice.”

- So, there it goes. Mertersacker talks to Podolski, and Koscielny talks to Giroud. I hope he can talk to Mvilla as well.. :-)

Good Day AA’ers.

May I regale you with a tale from my London trip?

Thank you …….

I was in the train heading towards Lewisham, it was a dark and dank afternoon and the train was full of young people. A black ticket inspector entered our carriage a young white girl was discovered not to have bought a ticket. As the inspector was writing out the fine, the young woman accused him of “being a Racialist”

Is this a new word peculiar to South London?

Anyway….. enough of that, back to football…….

Very excited about our 2 new players, though I fully expected the focus to be on midfield. Addressing the left side of the pitch is excellent – we have been lacking real threat since Pires left (sorry AA but you just weren’t potent enough)

Hi Micky @ 3:09,

Yes I think you’re right, the ‘outs’ will have to considerably outnumber the ‘ins’ for the wages to balance out – especially if RvP stays as you say.

In reality they should with Bendy, Vela and Denilson all out on loan and openly stating they don’t want to come back.

I don’t know if the club will bite the bullet and accept smaller offers just to reduce the wage bill. At least Nik upped his vakue at the Euros.

59. glic says:

I agree with what Redders ( think it was you Redders, your getting the credit anyway :) ) once said, except lower offers on these fringe ( The Unwantables ) players just to get rid of them and reduce our large wage bill .

60. Red Arse says:

Bug Daddy, :-)

Racist and racialist are both accepted words meaning the same thing. Both can be used as nouns or adjectives depending on the context.

Other. even odder, English words, and there are many of them, include inflammatory and flammatory which seem to be opposites but have come to mean the same thing, (I suspect one of them was used wrongly but became accepted), a little bit like “of” and “have”, as in “he should of kicked it” instead of the contraction “he should’ve kicked it” or the more grammatically correct “he should have kicked it”.

In time, the dictionary, and people like me, will say they mean the same thing. :-)

That’s living languages for u! Lol :-)

61. Red Arse says:

Nostalgic Post, Raddy, and very nice. :-)

62. Reddawn says:

Mickydidit89…….I hope not! I was thinking of whipround to start the Fulham bid off.

Hi Reddawn,

I still retain hope that Ramsey could be a great player for us – based on his performances before the legbreak when he finally replaced Denilson in AW’s heart.

I think a loan to Fulham would be great for him next season and let’s see how he progresses.

I’d also send jenkinson out on loan until Christmas at least and try to find pitch time for Coquelin as we really don’t want to lose him.

64. Red Arse says:

Hi Glicster, :-)

You are right — I did. It’s simple economics.

The law of supply and demand. You have too few plums you charge a premium (for plum read Cesc) you have too many plums, you sell them cheap (for plums in this context read Chamakh, Bendy, Squilli etct, etc)

Most of the value of these “assets” has already been written down to zero, so it’s better for the balance sheet/profit margin and the cash flow!

I did not know you are also an award winning accountant! :-)

65. glic says:

All them sums and plums, an Accountant and a Plumber, I`ll send for you the next time I`ve got a dodgy leak !. :)
    Rasp
    Cant we give Fulham 2 for the price of 1, just chuck in Denilson aswell !.

66. jnyc says:

Micky, i also am hoping as someone said, that we will be open to accepting much lower fees on some, to clear wages but also, just to start somewhat fresh in the squad. One of the rarely mentioned benefits is getting rid of malcontents in the squad. Not neceessarily trouble makers, but just unhappy players. Arshavin, denilson, bendtner, vela etc. We must admit that some are unhappy justifiably because they believe they deserve more chances to show their talent. I think we will have a very united team with rvp as captain (after showing his loyalty) and positive transfer business. I cant wait for the season :-)

I know where you’re coming from glic, it’s time Denilson went. But I also remember the early years of his time at Arsenal when he would come on to sub Cesc and the game would flow seamlessly on as if no change had been made.

I don’t know what happens to these young players, they show the potential and then somehow the spark is lost … I do hope it’s nothing to do with our training techniques.

68. Reddawn says:

Hi Rasp, the voice of reason as usual. I do agree with you about Ramsey and Jenkinson, they are both not ready at the present. Time will tell, but I still have my doubts.

69. glic says:

Rasp
    Give Denilson his due, unlike some England players he can play “keep the ball”, probably lacked an engine and a bit of pace.

I hear that Fulham are chasing Ramsey,
    he’s so slow it should be an easy catch!.

Perhaps Denilson’s problem was expectation. Coming into the side at the same time as Cesc and often playing as Cesc’s understudy, he was always likely to fail.

He is a bits and pieces player – not a good enough DM, not a good enough AM, but decent nonetheless.

Could it be that AW is hamstrung with buying a DM, what with the difficulties of selling Diaby and Denilson allied to the development of Coq, Frimps and Ramsey?

From Arsenal.com

………………………………………………………………………………….

Giroud – I have the weapons to do well here

By Rob Kelly

Olivier Giroud believes he has all the necessary attributes to thrive in the Premier League next season.

It was announced on Tuesday that the France international has agreed to join the Club after a hugely successful two-year spell at Ligue 1 champions Montpellier.

The 25-year-old has spent his entire career in his homeland, but insists he is well suited to English football and to Arsenal’s style of play in particular.

“I think I have the weapons to do well here,” Giroud told Arsenal Player. “I will need some time to adapt of course, but I’m not worried about that. I think I will adapt well.

“I’m a player who likes to play, who likes to participate in the game. That’s why I think the way Arsenal play will suit me. I like scoring goals and Arsenal create a lot of chances, so if I do well, then we will do well.

“Of course, there are big strikers here, it is a big club and there will be a lot of competition for places. But it’s up to me to win my place.”

Giroud is a lifelong fan of the Premier League and admits he cannot wait to test himself and try to “create history” with Arsenal.

“For me it’s the best league in the world among the five big countries. That’s why I chose Arsenal and that’s why I dreamt about playing here,” the 6ft 3in striker said.

“Also the environment appeals to me – the fans, the full stadiums, the different mentality here. So I’m happy to be able to discover this league.

“It’s about the fervour around football here. The [supporters] come as a family, they’re very passionate, it’s in their blood. They live football, eat football and sleep football. It’s different to France.

“There is a nice sporting challenge as well at Arsenal, and I will play to create history and enjoy myself and give pleasure to the fans. I think that the Premier League corresponds well with me.”

Hi Raddy,

It is conceivable that Denilson would have played towards the end of last season had he not been out on loan.

I think you have put your finger on the problem right there. I get the impression that some of our midfielders don’t understand their role fully or perhaps they haven’t yet developed into a particular type of midfielder – certainly true of Ramsey last season.

Cripes Raddy, just had a thought.
    Maybe AW watched Italy and thought “Mmmmm, look at Pirlo just in front of the defence. Who needs a DM. Let’s play Jack there”.
    Not such a bad idea!

Denilson also carried the expectations that come with being Captain of Brasil. Under 19′s, I think.

Afternoon all and thanks for the post Raddy.

I am always a little sceptical if there is such a change of policy at our club.

I know nothing about the so called Ramsey loan/transfer to Fulham, but the fact is we went for Dempsey and now we have bought two attackers in Podolski and Giroud before anyone has been sold.
    I am not comparing like for like but just can’t see all three left footers in the same line up.We got the CL money, we got the 25 million for The Queensbury Road project but now we have to offload several players regardless of transfer fee but to reduce the wage bill and to adjust for the new signings.
    The fact is we still leaked 49 goals last season and although we all know that Wenger is basically attack minded, i would like to see some more cover in defence.

Also, Jack won’t be ready until September according to AW and he will need gentlle introduction.

I am not a Ramsey hater in fact I rate him but maybe as with Eduardo after his leg break, Wenger sees something that we the fans don’t, and may be prepared to let him go, though I might be way off the beacon track.

Rasp,
    “Our midfielders” didn’t understand their roles. I watched all but one game and couldn’t quite work it out, and everyone knows about my tactical awareness :-)

Hi Kelsey,
    I am absolutely thrilled that Arsene has decided that the best way to deal with the “goals against” column is simply to score many many more :-)

Oh yea i forgot that Micky :)

80. goonermichael says:

Rasp
    If Jenkinson goes on loan who’ll play right back? Le Coq maybe. Sagna won’t be ready by all accounts

Kelsey,
    I have more good news. Talk of M’Vila is actually utter rubbish. We’re after two more strikers. Fact.

Get with the script here GM,
    No need. We start with two defenders. 2-3-5, oh yeah!

On a less serious note,
    We have signed Pod and Giroud, and yet I was under the impression the European window didn’t open until July 1.

correct, paper work to follow as i understand it.

85. Afternoon all

I’ve just noticed an ‘in out’ box as my page refreshed should we add a staying column too :oops:

86. Chas says:

Big John Jensen. What a player, BR.

I think you’ve hit the G spot with that one , Rasp. :)

87. I think he might be my new Mr Yummy :oops:

88. For what it’s worth I don’t think it’s appropriate to talk about Ramsey going out on loan, he’s the captain of the Welsh team and how would that look if he doesn’t get to play for his parent club #just saying

Nice one BR
    I can’t remember where I was, but I certainly remember JJ’s screamer.

He was actually a decent player for us, if not quite the MF goal threat we all thought he’d be.

Where have all the “we signed Podolski for the season ticket renewals but we won’t sign anyone else – you wait and see” people gone?

RL. A deafening silence. Strange :-)

Wonder what Gervinho thought when he read of the Podolski/Giroud signings?

“I’ll practice my right foot stuff, that’ll learn ‘em” or “Yikes”

92. goonermichael says:

Gervinho will be a great player for us Raddy. He’s off to the ACN again in Jan. He seems the type to be ok on the bench. We’ll also have great options in the wide areas.

More than anything, I’m desperate to know who AW has in mind for the AM role.

micky
    Jack, surely?

Wide players: Pod and Gerv on the left; Theo and Oxo on the right. Sounds good to me – quality cover on both sides and plenty of scope to rest/rotate.

Hi Rocky,
    I’ve never seen him as an AM, but maybe. Thing is, we could begin the season with a broken Rosicky and an unbattle hardened Jack, on top of Twisters rumour of Ramsey to go on loan.
    I have a feeling our leader has a plan.

Looking at things that way Rocky, and I agree, we are going to seriously challenge next season.
    However, I do have a feeling there will be a few more significant twists and turns, but it does look positive in that we are cracking on with the business, thus ensuring a healthy and fruitful pre-season of bonding and hugging.

I agree about the twists and turns Micky.

I know not everyone agrees (LB?) but I definitely think Jack has everything to be a great AM.

However, as you say, he might not be up to speed at the start of the season and, to be honest, there has to be a bit of a question mark over his fitness now. If he comes back, plays a few games and is then out for another long spell, who plays AM?

Hmmm….

Irish
    I don’t think that young man knows how to tie his shorts properly!

100. Irishgunner says:

RL – I’ll give him a hand :oops:

Irish
    I’m shocked :)

102. Irishgunner says:

:lol:

Just talking to a friend there, do you reckon we’ll sign a midfielder or will Wenger hope Diaby, Wilshere and Rosicky can get through relatively injury free?

103. Irish @ 8.26 Thank you :)

104. Irishgunner says:

Knew you’d like it ;)

105. Gooner In Exile says:

Top postage Raddy as ever, aaaahh JJ the man who brought about GG’s demise.

And I think possibly the first man to bring the “Shoooooot” fans out, although in those days to was more for comic effect. :D

Only a fleeting visit, off for more work.

Catch you all later.

Oh by the way.

O-li-vi-er Gi-roud

(to the tune of the old Eboue song)

106. Gooner In Exile says:

The G-Spot :D :D :D :D

107. paddy says:

I still have nightmares about the ball being passed to Jensen at the edge of the box

108. Gooner In Exile says:

:D Paddy

109. paddy says:

And I remember where I was when he scored that bloody goal. I was at the Glastonbury festival as a wide eyed, completely trollied 18 year old frustrated at lack of a big screen to watch the game on. Even to get the result we had to find someone who had queued up to use the non mobile telephonic systems.

Little did we know how many times we would watch him try and recreate his moment of glory

This is for you, paddy.

Ahoy Chas,
    Judging from the pics at the top of our new striker force, Arsene has clearly decided that thin and spindly is no longer the way to go.

Micky,
    I think you’re right.
    Power, Thrust and More Power.

I like the little dinks and lobs over the keeper in this vid. The G Spot seems to have a little finesse to go with his power, too.
    (from 3:30, it’s disallowed goals, then assists, but you’d know that Micky having spent 4 years in France!)

I would like to conduct a mini survey.
    I keep hearing Gunners coming on the radio and saying how if Robin goes its the end of the world, but is it.
    Here’s my question:
    Lets pretend we operate an entirely sustainable business model (?! I know), but what it means this window is no net spend/loss. Here is my one option for the sake of this survey. No change of personnel from last term whatsoever being the non option, or we swap Robin for Pod, Giroud and say M’Vila.
    Bovvered……Ain’t Bovvered
    ….1————–10

I’m in the ten zone or Ain’t Bovvered.
    Why? Because I think he will get injured and I don’t think he will stay for more than a year.

Chas,
    I did spend a fairly unhealthy amount of time towards the end of last season watching/recruiting at Montpellier!

Micky,
    Three for one can’t be bad. I definitely go for that rather than the non-option.

If he wants to go then, just let him. Get it done with quick though. No waiting until the start of the season. If he wants to stay, even better.

I’d go for an eight. Though it would be partially dependent on which of our opposition he went to.

Micky,
    Did you see Oz there?

Chas,
    Have to say that it was Micky speaking with his business hat on, not his emotional. It’d be great to have all three and Robin, but I look back and see what a disaster it was, in my opinion, keeping TH for that last token year.

Micky,
    I agree, no more one extra season bollix, either sign up for the rest of your career or ship out.

It didn’t work for Cesc either, if you believe he wanted to leave the summer before he finally left, that is.

Chas,
    That’s it then.
    My survey proves conclusively that Gunners “Ain’t Bovvered” if Robin goes for piles of cash that is all spent on new recruits.
    Survey closed :-)

Arsenals greatest fan :) Still makes me laugh

Kelsey,
    Find that man and send him a scarf immediately.

If the survey is still open, I am a 5. Happy for him to stay or leave.

This way I do not affect the results of the survey

I think I still want him to stay – I’m about a 3 – just because he’s been a great captain and our turnover in captains recently has been scandalous.

However good our new signings are, we know they will take time to bed in sadly.

126. Gooner In Exile says:

Morning all,

I think the only argument against the self sustaining model is with one out and three in the wage bill will remain costly.

We still have the likes of NikB, AA23, Denilson, Vela to think about moving on. We have Theo not yet renewed but these signings have made it less necessary for the club to be held to ransom by wage demands and maybe that is the thinking.

That’s why M’Villa signing is important as it does the same to Song as forwards arriving does to Theo and to an extent RvP.

However RvP resigning is important for continuity.

Micky, cease all discussion of your poll immediately …. it is a very tasty little nugget for a post …. get working on it!!!

Here lies the problem with RVP.

In 8 seasons he has made on average 24 league appearances and in the last 5 seasons 15-28-16-25-38 so the club as well as the man himself have to decide if taking 20 million + now is better than letting his contract run down or to offer him a huge salary by Arsenal standards.He is 29 this year and undoubtedly had a fantastic season and his goals and assists amounted to 27 points.

Is that resigning or re-signing? Sorry …. pedantic

I still maintain that teams that win titles must start with a solid defence and at this moment of time we don’t have that though to be fair last season the back four changed countless times through various injuries.

131. I agree on solid defending Kelsey but think Stevie Bould may help, and also think its down to whats in front of back 4 as much as the back 4 itself.

As for your question on RvP he is actually in a very tricky position, can he risk not accepting a new deal?

Say we keep him for a year (no new contract but refuse to sell).

In a years time he is 30, would he still be able to justify the increase in wages, would any club be prepared to sign him up on a 3/4 year deal? Lots of questions

kelsey. I agree entirely.

It is likely we will start the season without Sagna. Is young CJ ready to be in Arsenal’s first team? Not in my opinion.

So what are the alternatives? Coquelin is not by nature a RB. The Djourou experiment failed as did shifting the defence over and playing Kos at FB.

And assuming Fab leaves we need a back up GK.

133. GiE – I agree with you, I don’t think Robin actually has any choice but to re-sign now or risk walking away next summer with no new deal in place. Although there’s always Shanghai as an option ………….

134. Peaches love the Kozzer gravatar :D