Arsenal Question Time

Morning all. No surprises last night with Germany progressing to the semi-finals. I wasn’t sure they wanted it until Greece equalised but then they went about their business with a typically cool Germanic air to break the Greeks hearts. They will be hard to beat.

To fill in some time before “life” starts again, on August 18th when we play Sunderland at home, GunnerN5 has set the following quiz to test  your knowledge on Arsenal history.

1. Q. How many times have we appeared in the FA Cup Final?

2. Q. How many times have we won the FA Cup?

3. Q. What season did we have the most wins – and how many?

4. Q. What season did we have the least wins – and how many?

5. Q. What season did we have the most losses – and how many?

6. Q. What season did we have the least losses – and how many?

7. Q. What season did we score the most goals – and how many?

8.   Q. What season did we have the least goals against – and how many?

9.   Q. What season did we get the most points – and how many?

10. Q. How many seasons did we play in the 2nd Division?

11. Q. How many seasons did we have in the 1st Division?

12. Q. How many seasons have we played in the Premier Division?

13. Q. How many games did we play in the 2nd Division?

14. Q. How many games did we play in the 1st Division?

15. Q. How many games have we played in the Premier Division?

16. Q. How many consecutive seasons have we played in the top flight?

17. Q. How many people have managed Arsenal?

18. Q. How many total trophies have we won?

19. Q. How many of our managers have a winning % above 60%?

20. Q.  How many of our managers have a winning % below 50%?

Have fun and good luck, we’ll put the answers up later today.

81 Responses to Arsenal Question Time

1. oz gunner says:

I’ll have to give this some thought after.

@ GLIC

i should have corrected that:

Aussie Rules > Football

Arsenal > Aussie Rules

haha I don’t think terry will part with his syrup that easy, he only just wrestled it back from those aliens! But to fend off and attacks i’ll do what everyone else does on here and say: “hi everyone I’m Rasp”

2. [...] Arsenal Question Time [...]

Couldn’t you have made this quiz a bit more difficult :)

Kelsey – You guy’s are too smart so I decided to make it challenging.

5. goonermichael says:

I don’t know any of them. I’m not going to google the answers

GM;

I understand, you have to be a stats nut, like me, to know most of the answers.

I thought it would fill in some dead time – but it appears to have created dead time of it’s own…………oh dear.

7. herbsarmy says:

Hi GN5, wow! That’s some set of braLin-teasers. Here’s my attempt for what it’s worth.
    1) FA Cup final appearances – 17
    2) FA Cup winners – 10
    3) Most wins in a season – 29 (1970-71)
    4) Least wins in a season – 3 (1912-13)
    5) Most losses in a season – 23 on two occasions, (1912-13 & 1924-25)
    6) Least losses – Unbeaten 2003-04, only one League defeat 1990-91.
    7) Most goals in a season – 127 (1930-31)
    8) Least amount conceded – 17 (1998-99)
    9) Most points in a season: 2pts for a win – 66 (1930-31): 3pts for a win – 90 (2003-04)
    10) Seasons in Division 2 – 13 (1893-4 to 1903-04 & two seasons before WW1.
    11) Seasons in Division 1 – 75
    12) We have played 20 seasons so far in EPL
    13) Games played in Division 2 – 428
    14) Games played in Division 1 – 3,096
    15) Games played so far in EPL – 772
    16) Consecutive seasons in the top flight – 86
    17) How many managers have we had? – 18. (Not inc. Stewart Houston who was caretaker manager when George Graham was sacked).
    18) Major trophies – 27. 13 Titles; 10 FA Cup; 2 League Cup; Fairs Cup; ECWC.
    19) Winning % of 60% – I’m guessing only Arsene Wenger.
    20) Winning % of below 50% – 14.
    Phil Kelso – Pld 148 W 59
    George Morrell Pld 266 W 95
    Leslie Knighton Pld 252 W 87
    Herbert Chapman Pld 359 W 171
    George Allison Pld 271 W 123
    Tom Whittaker Pld 392 W 178
    Jack Crayston Pld 70 W 30
    George Swindin Pld 168 W 67
    Billy Wright Pld 168 W 64
    Bertie Mee Pld 420 W 181
    Terry Neill Pld 311 W 134
    Don Howe Pld 98 W 47
    George Graham Pld 350 W 162
    Bruce Rioch Pld 38 W 17

8. Hi GN5, thanks for the post.. i agree with herbs army, no need to re write all the answers..

thanks herb, ill save you a nice cuban cigar for when i visit, on the proviso your correct..haha :-)

9. GN5, I bet you a caramello that even Wenger wouldnt get this quiz 100% correct :-)

10. glic says:

Before I go and plant 3 shrubs ( £ 6 for 3, Bargain, a secret little garden centre in the Inny valley ), I will give the same answer as robbin, but I did think of all them answers before Herbylicous wrote them, bloody copycat !.
    What I would really like to say is, them stores like DFS, Harvey`s Furniture World, Comets etc, wouldn`t It make it a more enjoyable experience if Taser`s were issued at the door before you go in !, as soon as your foot hits the carpet, ” Can I be of assis….brzzzzzzzz “.

18) is wrong I am afraid, depending what one calls a major trophy .

12. herbsarmy says:

Hi Kelsey,
    I don’t consider Charity/Community Shield a major trophy, outside of that I can’t think what else I left out.

Kelsey
    I hope you’re not including “finishing Fourth” in the answer to Q.18 because it is “like a trophy.” :)

Looks like Kos will be playing tonight but I must still go with the Spanish.

RurP and GLiC
    You both got Q.18 wrong :)

Predictions for tonight’s game anyone?

I’ve got a funny feeling that France will win.

Interesting story today that there is discord in the French camp and guess who’s at the heart of it… a certain Fat French Benchwarmer.

We are so well shot of that little twerp.

Blimey Kesley
    You answered my question before it was published!

Have you hacked my Mac? :)

Herb, well you are correct but when we lose to Swindon,Luton etc in the Milk,Carling or whatever Cup I disregard that as a major trophy.:)

RL,
    very good.:)

The Community Shield is open to arbitration but I suppose you are right and I am wrong.

Your Mac,

Oh yes i forgot you have run out of coats :)

By the way Kesley, I am growing my grey hair longer in a bid to emulate the luxuriousness of your own fine barnet.

Seriously.

What colour knickers do the Arsenal Ladies team wear. (careful with your answers)

I haven’t actually got long hair,it’s just still all there.Salt and pepper silver grey I believe is the term

23. Red Arse says:

Pink!

They used to be red and white, but Peaches put them on too hot a wash and the colors ran!

Can’t get cleaner than that.

Kelsey
    Exactly – mine’s the same but was much shorter (almost crop) and is now growing.

To answer you Ladies question: Green Paddy Power ones?

Greeting Redissimus :)

France are one of only two countries whose strikers haven’t scored at Euro 2012 – the other being the Republic of Ireland. (still fancy france)

Knickers are like a newspaper : black and white but red allover.

Howdy darling :)

28. evonne says:

Spain to win and my Cesc to score.

Kelsey and Rocky – you made me laugh :) Just imagined big Rocky with long grey hair and a dirty Mac :)

29. glic says:

Yes Rocky , I missed out the Emirates Cup. I stayed behind to see it lofted, no open bus tour though !.

30. glic says:

My hair is about as long as Kelsey`s now, but not as salt and pepper silver grey, then again Kelsey has got a head start on me !. :)

You have me stumped again GN5. Clean bowled old chap, googlied and left without bails.

But i can tell you how many trophies we will win in the next 10 years.

6 Titles, beating the Ghosts of the Thirties
    3 Champions Leagues, keeping Herb happy
    1 FA Cup, coz the fans demand a day out at wembley
    1 PoxoColo cup, won by our under fifteens, beating Pullis Stoke in the final.

evonne
    that’s me :)

33. herbsarmy says:

That would go some way to fulfilling our rightful status Terry.

Herb
    “some way”
    Haha – very good :)

35. herbsarmy says:

We’ve spent more time in the top Division than either Liverpool or MU, Rocky, and yet we trail them by quite a margin.

“our rightful status”, i could not agree with you more Herb. Nothing wrong with a bit of arrogance, its in the Arsenal DNA, Totbum fans love it. We will get there

37. evonne says:

Rocky – yes, you did make a big impression on me :)

I agree Herb.
    Bout time we started catching them up.

Torres out Fabregas starts.

Spain: Casillas, Arbeloa, Pique, Sergio Ramos, Jordi Alba, Xavi, Busquets, Alonso, Silva, Fabregas, Iniesta. Subs: Valdes, Albiol, Javi Martinez, Juanfran, Pedro, Torres, Negredo, Mata, Llorente, Santi Cazorla, Jesus Navas, Reina.

France: Lloris, Reveillere, Rami, Koscielny, Clichy, M’Vila, Debuchy, Cabaye, Malouda, Ribery, Benzema. Subs: Mandanda, Evra, Valbuena, Giroud, Nasri, Matuidi, Menez, Diarra, Martin, Ben Arfa, Carrasso.

Referee: Nicola Rizzoli (Italy)

As everyone is out and I am schvitzing,my ollocks off I will bid you all a good night (don’t sell coats down here :) )

42. evonne says:

are you schvitzing? what’s that Kelsey?

43. evonne says:

Fatso warming the bench :)

44. Rhyle says:

Evening all…busy day done and duster…time to kick back, drink some fancy Raspberry flavoured Belgian beer that I got for Fathers Day and see what’s tickling people’s fancies in the world of Arse(nal)…

Great to see Kos starting – think the French can do it as I don’t think this Spanish side have got 2 goals in ‘em against a decent side…

GN5 – had a nose at your post. Great quiz…but haaaard. You broke my google for about 2 mins before I noticed herb had already put up the answers…good work, must’ve been tough to get questions that tough!

45. TotalArsenal says:

4-1 to Spain. Promises to be a cracker!!

46. evonne says:

TA – no, France have Koscielny, remember?

A very difficult quiz, GN5.
    Once someone has googled the answers, guessing becomes a bit pointless.

Clichy’s hair keeps making me laugh. Hahaha. Wasn’t he bought by Wenger when he was playing 2nd Division football in France?

48. Rhyle says:

TA – 4 goals to the Spanish? I’ll take that bet!

49. evonne says:

who did they just say is strongly linked to Arsenal? M’Villa?

I’ve just realised Clichy’s hair looks like he’s got an oil slick on his head. Quite appropriate really.

3 more to go.

52. Rhyle says:

Second thoughts, TA…think I’ll pass on that bet…where the fuck was Clichy? He’d been sucked in to the same space as Kos. Poor.

Can’t say it hasn’t been coming…

53. evonne says:

Chas :) you are in great form again :)

54. Rhyle says:

France can’t get near the ball…

Get the FFBW on.

I’m not sure we need M’Vila anymore,. especially if Coquelin is being schooled by Arteta.

56. evonne says:

good technical game, but not terribly exciting

57. Rhyle says:

exactly, evonne…seriously considering turning over to Sky Arts for Pearl Jam at IoW…

What a shit game……..like watching paint dry.

59. TotalArsenal says:

Wow, that was poop in the pants! A cracker? 4-1? Tells you how much I know! :(

Rhyle, I am happy I did not read your earlier comment, cause I would have taken on the bet. Nice avatar btw! :)

The French were never in this game, totally sedated, no cohesion, no game plan, 11 individuals and no team. Bah! First the Dutch, now the French. Long live the virtues of individualism!

Fabregas as the most attacking player in the Spanish midfield armada is just surreal to me. Put Fabregas in the French team as a playmaker tonight, and they would have been a proper match for the Spanish.

Thought Koz was brilliant tonight and some good stuff by M’Vila too. I like him a lot and this the first time I had a proper look at him.

Nasri showed to all of us again what he is all about. Enough said. Selling him on to the Nothern Oilers for £25m was probably the best transfer business in recent history. Adieu to the French Bart Simpson!

60. herbsarmy says:

There’s no point taking part in a quiz if you’re going to Google it Chas. It’s more about how much you know your club, or how much you want to know. A good few of the questions were maths related.
    As with many other Arsenal fans, I have books of historical reference, which is far more important than Google.
    In the end it was quite embarrassing to discover that I was the only one who had taken part.

61. Rob Lucci says:

From what I’ve seen in the euros so far, only two sides have a player withe the calibre of Alex Song, that is Spain and Germany, and that is the sole reason why both of them will make the final.

Though I am mightily impressive with the Italian midfield. Andrea Pirlo must be the most impressive midfielder in the tournament so far, well, maybe alongside Schweinsteiger…

62. Rhyle says:

Rob…not sure I’d agree wholly with the Song love but certainly agree with your thoughts on Pirlo and Schweinsteiger…although, for me, player of the tournament, let alone midfielder of the tournament so far has to be Khedira. Amazed by how good he’s been going forward let alone how good he’s been with the opposition going forward!

63. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Well said Rob.

Songs defensive strength plus his quality on the ball would have set this tournament alight. He’d turn defence into attack almost quicker than any player I’ve seen at the Euros.

Likewise watching the all round quality of RVP compared to Benzema scurrying around almost aimlessly tonight.

TA – Frankly I agree with you 100% re Fabregas. Its truly mad that he plays second fiddle to the other five MF’s. Busquets and Alonso….?? One will do – and give the other spot to the best CM seen in quite a while. Its truly criminal how they waste his natural talents.

Night

64. Rhyle says:

Herbs – I’d had a read through and a crack but it was VERY tough! The only ones I knew on first pass were 2, 3, 8, 12, 16 & 17. Everyone’s had a read and a crack at ‘em…you were just quick out of the traps with the answers so no one else felt the need!

Herb,

Well done, you bothered to take the time to figure out the answers and you have my full respect.

I don’t use google as I have completed my own spreadsheets and I’ve spent a lot of time and effort in authenticating my data.

Now according to my personal data you have scored 16/20.
    The ones in doubt are—
    Q11 – I make it 76 seasons.
    Q14 – 3099 games played.
    Q16 – 88 seasons in the top flight.
    Q20 – 5 managers.
    Leslie Knighton 42,1%
    George Morrell 43.9%
    Billy Wright 46.2%
    Phil Kelso- 47.1%
    George Swindon – 47.6%

I’ll agree to disagree on Q17 as I believe that either Stuart Houston or Bruce Rioch should be considered as a manager and not just a caretaker – but I still scored you as correct on that one.

Well done my friend and I hope it gave you a few hours of enjoyment..

66. herbsarmy says:

Hi Rhyle,
    I didn’t submit my answers until at least 3 & a half hours after the Post came up, I thought there may have been a few before me. As I said some were maths related, others were historical reference which can be found in a lot of Arsenal-related literature.

67. Rhyle says:

Bruce Rioch was certainly a manager. If you’re going to include Stewart Houston you should include Pat Rice and Steve Burtenshaw…

68. Rhyle says:

I know what you mean – others, like me were probably happy with the 5 or 6 they could get off the bat and were working on the others…you did good work in a relatively short space of time in my books!

69. herbsarmy says:

Hi GN5,
    no problem, my maths might have been a little out on some of them, so I shall graciously accept your calculations.
    It was enjoyable, because it meant reading up on literature that I hadn’t read for a while.
    Thanks for setting the quiz, I’m only sorry more people didn’t take part, especially as you proved some of my answers were wrong.

70. Rhyle says:

…I just assumed they were right. Except for 16. I knew that was wrong. :lol:

71. herbsarmy says:

You could have told me Rhyle!
    GN5 is older than me, that’s why he has all the answers.

72. Rob Lucci says:

Rhyle,

Imo, for me Song and Arteta partnership is as good as Schweinsteiger-Khedira and Pirlo-DeRossi though Pirlo cannot maintain the same ‘aggressiveness’ for 90 minutes.

Re Song. When I said ‘a player with the calibre of Alex Song’, I mean a player that have a complete control of the midfield. In the tournament so far only Spain and Germany have that.

Anybody seen Fabregas dive to get a penalty last night? So much for a Barca DNA..

73. Rob Lucci says:

The only missing jigsaw on Holland side is Alex Song. If he played for Holland they will go all the way to the final..

74. Rhyle says:

Rob…cheers for the response…so you like Alex Song I’m guessing?! I can see why – he’s a good player, no doubt, and has improved and evolved in to more of a box to box player over the last couple of years. That for me is the issue – I think, because we use wing-backs, we need a disciplined DM to cover. Too many times over the last couple of years our CBs have been isolated as our WBs / DM was stuck in the top third of the pitch. It was particularly a problem last year.

Holland had some pretty big problems in terms of first XI quality, imo. What did you think of the Dutch centre-backs? I thought they were pretty poor to say the least…and Jetro Willems should’ve been put out of his misery early doors…

Then there’s the age old clash of egos problem in the Dutch camp. I’ve seen these problems in the Dutch side going back to Euro ’96…

Think these are both problems that Alex Song would’ve struggled to have contributed to solving…

75. oz gunner says:

@ Rob

It’s definitely the CB’s that are the problem for Holland. All the CB’s are at Belgium (verm, kompany, and vertonghen) whilst all the attacks are in Holland. I think TA is secretly planning a unified country so they can challenge their neighbours France, England and Germany (it’s only fair they are two small countries).

United Bafflewings (beer, waffles, windmills, clogs), good name for a country i think, could do some fine tuning though

76. oz gunner says:

also appropriate because their style of play will ‘Baffle’ the opposition, and they will attack mostly down the ‘wings’

ok i’ll leave now!

77. Scott says:

Good riddance Oz lol.
    Evening all.
    Song…..just lacks a little discipline.
    He’s a terrific player,but could be world class….the tools are there.

New Post ……………….