Arsenal at Euro 2012? Interim Report

I can’t speak for anyone else but my prime interest in what has been a very good tournament (so far) is the Arsenal players. After one round of games how are we faring?

Arshavin.  AA had a super game and was involved in most of the attacking Russian play. Contrary to the pundits knee-jerk reactions, AA played in his normal position of right attacking midfield. He was pacy, beat his man at will and his passing was excellent. We have seen games like this from him before but they are few and far between. More of the same please and then let’s get a juicy fee for him.

Rosicky. TR struggled in a team which look poor. Forced to go wide to find space he could not influence the game,  and his own high standards he will disappointed. There were some tidy flicks, turns and passes but in a team with Milan Baros as the lone striker it was always going to be difficult against a Russia team possessing a fine midfield. Expect better tonight.

One for Irish …

Bendtner. Didn’t score but played well. He plays a different role for Denmark than earlier in his career when he was primarily on the left. Used s a lone central striker he had his back to goal most of the game and looked to bring the onrushing midfielders into the attack. I thought he worked hard but without much success. His new role for Denmark is what I hoped Chamakh would bring to Arsenal – why didn’t AW give Nik the same opportunity?

Szczesny. Nightmare of a game which will haunt him for years. A poor decision led to the Greek goal and another to his sending-off. It could be said that he took the red rather than concede a certain goal, in which case it worked well for Poland. Can’t see him getting another game in the tournament.

RvP. Another man who disappointed. I cannot recall him being so wasteful in any game last season. Was it the expectation? Was he too tense? In his defence he created the chances and was in position to score, if he continues to find the space he will punish Germany.

Podolski. My first real look at him and I liked what I saw. Played much deeper than I expected. He is strong, direct and has a good shot. Early days but I can see why we bought him and why he scores so often.

The Ox. Needed much better service from an England team which showed no creativity. If Hodgson is looking to O-C to be the spark then he must tell the team to get the ball to him early. A few good runs and a couple of decent passes. He was understandably tense and frustrated with himself when things went wrong. We have signed a gem.

Walcott. 3 minutes of action. One touch. Better than Ashley Young.

All in all a bit disappointing. I hoped to see Koscielny start ahead of Mexes (who has the worst haircut I have ever seen) – perhaps he will get his chance later in the competition.

How are we doing?  5 out of 10.   Have the ability – Could do better.

Written by Big Raddy

173 Responses to Arsenal at Euro 2012? Interim Report

1. Scott says:

It’s great to see Hodgson showing so much faith in the kid.
    He will learn a great deal from his experience.

2. I’m enjoying the Euros too BR.
    AA
    Yeah i was amazed at people saying he had a free role & different position, looked the same as AFC to me. It hurt to see how excellent he was, but its great as the sell on price is increasing.
    TR
    i thought he out shone all his team mates, felt sorry for him, one diamond in a dross team. Stick him in at Sunderland and see how he fairs, so no i’m not going to stick the boot in.
    NB
    Played a good game, nothing outstanding, hope he plays better and starts a bidding war.
    OX
    Like at AFC, showed some promise, quick feet but suffered from the lack of quality around him. A problem that doesn’t surface for him at Arsenal.
    TW
    i hope he plays instead of Milner next game, but i doubt it.
    RVP
    did he have such a bad game, he was just as wasteful at AFC last 5 games, maybe he’s jaded but he stood out for me and Holland would have won had Robben not been so greedy all the time.
    WOJ
    mistakes are creeping in to his game, is he still playing with an injury?
    i hope we sign a decent backup – old hat to continue his development.

Talking of signings – Podolski, M’Vila, Giroud & RVP new contract – would that quell the Arsene critics? Not that they frequent this site anyway.

3. Morning all, a subject I was thinking about last night too Bug Daddy and tack så mycket för det.

For me AA’s performance showed just what happens if you don’t boo a player and as supporters get behind him.

I thought AA’s usual position was to the LEFT attacking midfield so I naturally assumed his improved perfromance was due to him being given more licence to roam more centrally.

However I saw his “heat map” on twitter and he was very much playing left of attacking midfield – shows how much I know !

As for Robin, call me a selfish idiot but I’m happy to see him have a quiet tornament, it might just ward off the oilies from trying to buy him, both of the siberian and camel shagging variety as well as the match fixers from Serie A.

4. TotalArsenal says:

Thanks for a fine summary of the Euro action until now Raddy. :)

We are lucky that so many Euro games have had an Arsenal element in it. Watching our players play in an entirely different team feels a bit like spying on them and by doing so we get an alternative view of their qualities.

I thought NB was poor for Denmark and the game showed that he is absolute miles away from RvP, who did not have a good game himself in terms of finishing, but as a footballer he showed Niklas how it should be done.

The Ox looked so confident and mature for his age. What a gem indeed!

Tomas was a bit disappointing imo. He has the will and the energy but just lacks the accuracy in his final pass too many times.

I also enjoyed watching Fabregas for Spain and both the Spanish and Italian goals were top class: the highlights for me until now. Especially the Pirlo – Di Natale goal was poetry in motion.

Having seen all the teams now, I am going to put my neck out and say Holland will win the Euros. Tomorrow the Germans are going to get a proper spanking with clogs and after that there is no stopping them. :)

Thanks for the post Big Radford.

All i know about the Euros is this. During the England France game we witnessed why Arsene Wenger is the greatest manager of modern times. Both Cole and Nasri were excellent and both were lost to us through forces beyond our control. Chamberlin will become a star, so the question is, can we keep him? If Mr Wenger had the financial backing which enabled him to pick and choose which players stayed and left the Club we would be the greatest team on the planet. So suck on something unpleasent you Wenger bashers.

6. Crikey Mr Syrup man, who rattled your cage ? :)

Ime annoyed Chary. Ive spent the whole of last week preparing a paper on how to save the world economy which i kindly submitted to the IMF. But when i called them to find out there response they fobbed me off, and to make it worse i could hear sniggering in the background.

8. Oh right, I hate it when that happens too.

9. It’s quiet here today…Jeff been in ??

Might as well blog in Swedish..Som vanligt valde fel Tema kväll och hoppades för svenskarna att slå Ukraina. Tyvärr dykningen ex Chav bestämde sig för att göra mål två gånger och muck upp min kväll. Den jäveln!

Chary, looks like were on the grave yard shift. Whos Jeff ?

Ahh, mutt and jeff.

Well Chary, since ime mutt and your jeff, let me tell you a ghost story.

When i was a little kid and holidaying in Crete, to get fresh water we had to walk a mile down the road to a well. Anyway, one night i was bored so decided to take the walk on my own. It was a warm balmy night but very bright because of the full moon. Half way to the Well, i was startled when this girl, seemed about 16, came out of the field and stood right in my path. She was dressed all in white, and looked lovelyl. She started talking to me and when i told her i was going to the Well, she said she knew a short cut so i followed her off this beaten track to we got to this little house and i could see the well about 50 yards up the track. I thanked her and she wished me luck, as i went to get the water and she went into the house. When i got back i told my gran about the girl in white and she freaked out. Apperently the girl in white was often seen to strangers on that road and would lead people to the Well. The next day i asked my grandad to come on that detour with me and when we got to the house it was nothing more than to ramshackle walls surrounded by debris. to this day i cant get my head round what happened, but through fear have nevr been near that well again.

12. oz gunner says:

cheers for the post Big Daddy, I haven’t seen much and all i care about are the arsenal players so cheers.

it is quiet on here today isn’t it

I’ve watched every Euro12 game and IMLTHO the star of the show, so far, has been Nasri, with Arshavin, Fabregas, and A. Cole not too far behind.

It could well be that I’m biased and have had my eye on Arsenal players, past and present, and have not paid full attention to other players but I still believe that they have been superb.

A real credit to ASW and his techniques.

14. TotalArsenal says:

It is very quiet, we need to liven it up a bit….

15. oz gunner says:

spooky TMHT

Very coincidental as I just watched an episode of supernatural with the mrs of that myth.

A White Lady is a type of female ghost reportedly seen in rural areas and associated with some local legend of tragedy. White Lady legends are found around the world. Common to many of them is the theme of losing or being betrayed by a husband or fiancé. They are often associated with an individual family line or said to be a harbinger of death similar to a banshee.

You were chosen TMHT! The Arsenal force is strong in you

16. TotalArsenal says:

Terry, that is a beautiful story. Are you sure it was a girl and not Aaron Ramsey wearing his number 16 shirt?! :)

GN5, very true. Arsene is a genius.

Oz, TA, When i think about what happened i just cant rationalise it. Everything seemed so real, the girl, the house, everything. I made a few enquiries about it afterwards and no one seems to know the origins of this girl or the house. i do know the house has been derelict for at least 100 years. I wish it was Aaron Ramsey, i could have got his ghostly autograph hahaha.

Oz, a Banshee? AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRGGGGGGGG.

19. oz gunner says:

If you were in your early teens then i’d say your normal…i used to have those dreams all the time…never that ending though!

Mix that with the attack at the bus stop and you’ve had a strange upbringing TMHT haha

20. TotalArsenal says:

Terry, I think you missed an opportunity there. If you had asked her to accompany you to the fountain (of life, love, totalfootball?), you might have lived an ever happier life – definitely one without carrot-salade treatments! :lol:

Dont know about that TA. With the amount of physical contact ime getting these days i think ime married to a Ghost already. hahaha

22. TotalArsenal says:

Terry – join the club! Hahahaha!

A little off subject…..

………………………………………………………………………………..

Twelve monks were about to be ordained. The final test was for them to line up nude in a garden while a nude model danced before them. Each monk had a small bell attached to his privates and they were told that anyone whose bell rang would not be ordained because he had not reached a state of purity.

The model danced before the first monk candidate with no reaction. She proceeded down the line with the same response until she got to the final monk. As she danced, his bell rang so loudly that it fell off and clattered to the ground. Embarrassed, he bent down to pick up the bell, and all the other bells went off.

GN5, hahahahahaha

Dougal was a typical Scot. His wife Janet had just died and he wanted to place the least expensive death notice. He went to the newspaper office and wrote on the lodgement from, “Janet died.”

The clerk explained that there was a minimum charge and he could have five words. Dougal added three more words:
    “Janet died, Toyota for sale.”

26. oz gunner says:

haha good 1 G5, i was wondering what happened to your and VCC’s jokes

@ Kelsey and RuVP

get back on here dammit!

Best day of my life was when I walked down the aisle towards my wife, everyone was smiling, her mum had a few nice things to say, I gave her a kiss and shut the coffin.

28. TotalArsenal says:

Nice one Gn5 :)

Angela Merkel arrives at passport control in Poland:
    “Nationality?” asks the Immigration Officer;
    “German” she replies;
    “Occupation?”;
    “No, just here for a few days”. :D

Last one……….

…………………………………………………………………..

John O’Reilly hoisted his beer and said, “Here’s to spending the rest of me life, between the legs of me wife!”
    That won him the top prize at the pub for the best toast of the night!

He went home and told his wife, Mary, “I won the prize for the Best toast of the night.”
    She said, “Aye, did ye now. And what was your toast?”
    John said, “Here’s to spending the rest of me life, sitting in church beside me wife.”
    “Oh, that is very nice indeed, John!” Mary said.

The next day, Mary ran into one of John’s drinking buddies on the street corner.
    The man chuckled leeringly and said, “John won the prize the other night at the pub with a toast about you, Mary.”
    She said, “Aye, he told me, and I was a bit surprised myself. You know, he’s only been there twice in the last four years.
    Once he fell asleep, and the other time I had to pull him by the ears to make him come.”

30. oz gunner says:

hahaha i’ll be pinching that one

Hahaha – some great jokes there chaps! Thankyou.

Bag Reddy
    Excellent idea to send “news from the front” on how Our Boys are doing on campaign in the far east of Europe. Be interesting to see how they progress…

TA
    Your now reminds me of the old question:
    “Why are so many roads in France lined with trees?”
    A: “So the German tanks can drive in the shade.”

The Giroud stories seem to be gaining momentum (even in the Telegraph today).

I hope they’re true. From YouTube he looks great. Big, strong, brave, good in the air and – Rasp – he has a shot on him!

(Yes, I know I know, even Chamakh can look good on a You Tube compilation, but this guy does seem impressive).

It strikes me as a good piece of business for us if it happens: adds to our attacking threat if RvP stays (and may help persuade him to stay), but also gives us an option for a new out-and-out striker if RvP goes.

34. evonne says:

Raddy – nice summary, thank you. Not much to disagree about, mixed performance from our lot.

Just my 2 penny’s worth – Ox received a very warm reviews in the press and from the commentators after the game. They praised his personality, bags of potential, mannerism. He is going to be BIG!

35. Red Arse says:

Well, I suppose we are what we are, and having whizzed thru today’s Post and comments, I am afraid I will just have to come clean and admit my enjoyment is graded like this.

A) Brilliant: GN5, :-) Victor Ludorum!! [Could not choose between the 'bells on the ding-a-dongs' and the 'ear pulling']

B) Bug Daddy: A very good Post done on the fly! :-) Best in Show!!

C) Nefarious comments from the usual suspects: Excellent, as usual! :-)

36. Red Arse says:

Just read a little further and there is a new category;

D) Best German jokes: Split decision: Rock of Ages and The Viking Lord!! :-)

37. Brigham says:

Some good jokes there fellas, made me giggle.

Two policemen knocked on my door the other day and showed me a photo of the wife. One of them said “Sir, is this your wife?”

“Yes it is” I replied.

“Sorry” he said, “It looks like she has been hit by a bus”.

I replied “I know shes ugly, but she takes it up the back and is great with the kids”

38. dandan says:

Terry Re your ghost Story.30 years ago I spent a Saturday afternoon at friend’s new house in the middle of the fens, listening to the second half of the Arsenal playing away up north. When it ended we then listened to sports report, so it would have been 5.30ish on a dark, wet and foggy late November evening that I left my friends and set off for my brother’s house in Peterborough, some 25 miles away.
    I smoked in those days and lit my last cigarette as I pulled away, it was a lousy Fenland night, made worse by the knowledge that if you got it wrong it was a straight drop into a drain (river). I had not been here before my friend having only recently moved to the area, so my attention was fixed on the road ahead. After a while through the gloom I saw a light, it was illuminating a pub sign and an empty car park, I pulled in and walked to the door opened it and walked in. Imagine my surprise that the pub was packed as this was in the middle of nowhere and there was not a vehicle in the car park. I walked to the bar in silence all eyes on me, asked for twenty Cigarettes was served turned round and walked out. Jumped in the car and drove off feeling distinctly uneasy.
    At my brother’s house I offered him a cigarette and told him of my unnerving experience, he had lived in the area for many years and travelled the area daily for his work. Imagine my surprise, when he said” but there are no pubs out there”, I laughed and said “come off it you are smoking a cigarette from there”. But he was adamant no way is there a pub around there. I stayed the night and next day resolved to return the way I had come, I did and was unable to find a pub.
    Soon after I moved to the area and am totally in agreement that there is not, nor has there ever been a pub in that area. But I brought a pack of Benson and Hedges that night on that road which my Brother helped to smoke, so you tell me, how did I do that.

39. evonne says:

Oh dear, I have just checked Polish online press and all the papers have tonight’s match on front pages. You’d think they are going to war with Ruski! Those Poles are ever so dramatic

For those of you who don’t know – Poland was under Russian occupation many a times, most recently under the communist regime imposed by Kremlin. Russians are as popular in Warsaw as Osama bin Laden in New York

Raddy – AA is still on loan, Szczesny is playing for Arsenal so I expect you to support the red and white team tonight

Blimey – we’ve turned into the Fortean Times website!

Great story dandan.

So, hands up, who on here has seen a ghost? (And I don’t mean the ghost of GLiC)?

I have – so that’s me, Terry and dandan all chalking one up for the spectral encounters…

41. goonermichael says:

Dandan that is very strange.

evonne
    you never really answered me properly the other day: who do Poles dislike more – Germans or Russians? You were occupied by both…

Despite the two World Wars, there are a lot of Englishmen who will tell you that our real enemy is France. We’ve been fighting the French for a thousand years. The Germans only got under our skin in the last 100 years.

dandan
    believe it or not, there are a lot of documented examples of people having encounters like yours. Did you notice anything odd about the way the people were dressed or how the pub looked and felt?

Thats a great story dandan. After what happened to me i wouldnt even attempt to explain it. At least you got a packet of fags out of it. All i got was bulging eyes and every hair on my body now permantly stands on end. hahaha

45. dandan says:

The pub was noisy as I opened the door but it went Quiet as I entered, all seemed normal but I felt very uncomfortable and could not wait to get out. It was the absence of vehicles that troubled me most though.

Did you look at any of the punters in the eye dandan? That girls face, for want of a better word, still haunts me to this day.

47. dandan says:

No Terry I didnt but I rememeber my backside was going Half a Crown, threepenny bit :-)

dandan, hahahahahaha

49. Ah, I drifted off there when it all got quiet there Mr Syrup – it’s now gone all ghostly, however you sre bang on, you would be Mutt as I am a lot closer to Jeff than anyone else.

50. Red Arse says:

Paranormal sightings are commonplace and, in the minds of those affected are ‘real’. For the sceptics these stories defy comprehensive scientific explanation.

That is to say, if asked, a scientist will offer an explanation which the individual who has had such an ‘experience’ will steadfastly refute.

The usual explanation a scientist will put forward is that people are responding, subconsciously, to environmental cues and the general “spookiness” of their surroundings.

In other words, those who claim to have had ghostly experiences, will remain convinced they had them, whatever anyone else says. Whereas a sceptic will say they are particularly sensitive to the environmental cues that result in haunted feelings — spooky fens in bad weather; or a young kid in a foreign country walking a mile to a well for water in the dusk. [Being alone, at dusk or at night, in a new 'difficult' environmental experience, etc.]

For the ‘believer’, or someone who has had a ‘ghostly’ experience, no proof is required – but to the sceptic, or scientifically inclined, no proof can ever be sufficient.

Guess which one I am? :-)

51. evonne says:

Sorry Rocky! I am not sure whom we dislike most. My grandfather was a political prisoner in Auschwitz, yet my grandmother truly hated the Russian.

My family escaped from Warsaw during the war to their little house in the country on the russian border. Some Germans were moved into the house, and one in particular was a good man. He cooked for my mother and uncle when grandma was at work. She said that she was REALLY scared when the russians invaded; they took no hostages; robbed, raped women and killed and ate anything on 4 legs. They were savages.
    Then during the communist regime russians destroyed my country, took everything. So I guess the answer has to be Russians, German occupation didn’t last 50 years.

Also, my son’s family escaped from the bolsheviks in Lituenia and left with the German army

52. dandan says:

Red arse, The cigerettes were real and they dont come much more cynical than me.

53. evonne says:

Dandan – that is a really scary story!

Redders
    Are you saying you’ve never had the willies put up you?

55. glic says:

Just back from picking Max up, he looks gorgeous. One of the stylists ( groomer ) said , ” I like your jacket (white Arsenal one ) “, I said , ” you a gooner “, he rolled up his sleave to reveal an Arsenal tattoo just like gm`s avatar.
    I then wondered, is there a big difference between Dog stylists and what gm does ? On one hand you have a frantic demanding temperamental bitch probably needing her anal glands clearing and on the other hand a well behaved puppy waiting for a doggy treat after being pampered !.

Terry
    After downing a few bottles of Ouzo on a hot Cretian day, you also probably saw a black and white spud lofting an imaginary trophy singing glory, glory, arm in arm with his carer mates !.

56. Red Arse says:

Rockadiddly,

The Germanic tribes are documented back to pre-Roman times, but the German Empire was only established in the 1870s, at which time they started to clomp around in their hob nailed boots and lederhosen giving the British Empire a hard time in Africa and saying ‘for you Tommy, alles kaput – vee hef durch forsprung tecknic!” :-)

Whereas the French were pains in the derriere ever since the 100 years war in the 14th Century, which really was lots of wars, and before France was France as we now know it. History, eh? :-)

57. goonermichael says:

How very dare you glic :)

58. goonermichael says:

Did he really have the same tattoo as me?

59. Red Arse says:

DD, rather proves my point about believers and sceptics :-)

Rocky, No. :-) and no thanks! :-)

Redders, i wasnt spooked at the time, just a bit startled by the girl appearing from no were. Your probably right, there must be a logical explanation, but i still cant work it out. Mind you, Cornwalls got a point, i knew i shouldnt have downed that last bottle of Ouzo. hahahaha

61. glic says:

If your tattoo is the same as your avatar, then yes. It looked really classy gm.

62. Red Arse says:

It was you, GM, don’t act all surprised. The Glicster has sussed you out! :-)

63. Red Arse says:

TerryM, :-)

I don’t doubt you and DD (and many others) for a moment. To you it was real and nothing I say will convince you otherwise.

Nothing will convince me otherwise either. :-)

God knows what Rocky was up to when he was with the spirits? :-) He is being very coy.

I have seen a ghost. Late at night driving in Wales. I saw a woman in white floating about 3 foot above the ground. Thought it was just my headlights reflecting the mist (though it was a dry summer’s evening) and said nothing. After 15 minutes I asked my then wife whether she had seen anything and she said she was so scared she couldn’t say a word. It was on the road to Bala Lake and when we arrived at the hotel in Bala we told the receptionist who replied that this was a ghost of a young woman killed over a century ago and she was regularly sighted.

I do not believe in the para-normal, and am highly sceptical but we definitely saw this woman.

65. dandan says:

Red A Please humour me and explain the cigarettes try as I might I cannot ignore them.

66. glic says:

Terry is often talking about the “Spirits of the 30`s “. I think too much consumption of ” spirits “, is what is causing this mass AA phenomenum of AAers believing they have been grabbed by the “ghoulies ” !.

67. glic says:

Being grabbed by the ” Ghoulies ” is not something Redders has experienced ( correct me if I`m wrong :) ) but be did have a bad painfull experience with a hard of hearing nurse just recently, as indicated by the shocked Doctor, ” Nurse , I told you to prick his boil ” !.

68. goonermichael says:

glic
    You saw a doppleganger in a paralell universe

69. Red Arse says:

To show willing; :-) I recall seeing an interview given by an eminent archaeologist (name escapes me) in which he said he was excavating a site uncovered when some new building foundations were being laid in London.

He said he was alone, one evening, carrying out measurements etc, in a large basement like structure lit by some lamps.
    The air became very cold and still when he heard the tramp of feet approaching from the other end of the room with hoarse shouts in an unknown language and the clink of equipment.

Terrified, he huddled down and watched in awe as a Roman platoon materialised and marched across the open space, and never once did any of them even glance at him. The platoon carried on thru the wall at the end and disappeared, as, eventually, did the sound of their marching sandals.

Recovering, he yelled for his assistants who came running to see what the problem was. He recounted what had happened, and said that the wierdest thing of all, which added to his fright, was that the centurions were all marching about 2 feet above the floor of the basement room.

His assistant, who was already working on plans and maps of the area, said to him “you do realise that Ermine Street, (a major Roman road) ran thru here and it’s original level was 2 feet above the current floor level of the room, which had been originally built over the old road in 1640?

Spooky, or what? :-)

Still falls within my criteria, tho! :-)

70. goonermichael says:

parallel?

71. glic says:

I see ” Sharkey ” Wiltord has retired, good luck, he gave us a memorable moment !. :)

72. 2 NIL DOWN AFTER 5 MINUTES says:

Sod Ghosts, 2 down after five minutes, crashing out of the Euro, in more ways than one,and as skint as a Totnumb fan on benefits. I dont care if i see 1000 ghosts tonight, i will tell them to go do one. Now weres that bloody Ouzo.

73. glic says:

Yes gm . In a parallel Universe, you are pampering pooches ,instead of pampering pu**ies !. :lol:

74. Red Arse says:

Dandan,

I have said more than I should, as I am not a paranormal scientist, (or any sort of scientist). Just a dopey accountant. :-)

As I previously said, whatever the explanation offered, and I do not have one, the experience was real to you and it would be akin to convincing you that I am a handsome devil. Impossible to believe!! :-)

75. evonne says:

Glic – you promised to be good!! Remember?

76. Listen hear Redders, there`s only room for one handsome devil on this site, you fake handsome devil you !.

77. Yes, I remember now. It`s coming back to me.
    Thank you e va va vonne ! :)

78. Bloody blimey peeps, me and my blud Terry are getting peeing de off, our bubbles are 2 nil worsty for wearers, it`s looking like check de mate innit mate, them ouzo tranny games are makking us looking the poor bloody peeps of urupland innit .

79. 2 NIL DOWN AFTER 5 MINUTES says:

hahahahahaha.

80. 2 NIL DOWN AFTER 5 MINUTES says:

That linesmans been paid of by the checks. I would be more than happy to hit him over the head with my bottle of Ouzo and turn him into a spirit.

Excellent first half from Rosicky. Back to his Arsenal best.

82. Wheres me peeps Zorba,, If he ain`t innit for de next blimey `alf, I`ma off to smash me`s bubbles economickies, I`ve got 5 billiyons of me drachma`s in platies innit, blimey am i gonna av a smashing time innit peeps !.

83. The Ghost of Dickens says:

Why do you pimples argue?

I wrote a damn fine novel about the Ghost of Glic’s ghoulies, the ghost of Xmas past, the ghost of Xmas future, and my fave, the what the dickens Xmas present. What have you got me? Hmm?

Ghosts have feelings you know!

[Just between us -- sshh -- the ghost of Glic is as handsome as the curly tail on a warthog. True!]

84. 2 NIL DOWN AFTER 5 MINUTES says:

hahahaha, didnt think about that. I could smash that lino over the head with a plate, pleading not guilty coz i was doing a traditional Greek dance.

85. Red Arse says:

You are spot on Bug, our man Rosicky looked the biz. He is still a quality player. :-)

I have just read that Everton have turned down a bid of €15m for Baines! Of course, this could be total rubbish, but €15m for a player who isn’t even England’s first choice and probably not even 2nd when Gibbs is fully fit is complete madness.

Podolski is a bargain.

87. glic says:

Redders, have you ever seen Harry Enfields Stavros stuff on youtube ?, If you haven`t have a look, then you`ll get a good idea of our Terry !. Coz he`s a bloody blimey good peeps innit. :lol:

88. glic says:

Get in Zorba !

89. Red Arse says:

I know Glic. He is merry Terry to me and a ghost hunting star! :-)

BR, football transfer prices are all madness!

90. Red Arse says:

Cech seems to have lost his nerve. That head injury – that helmet – have unmanned him. Poor, poor keeping!

Will Greece leave the Euro before Greece leave the Euros?

RL. Top Punning!

Greece didn’t look the slightest bit threatening for the final quarter, despite only being one goal down. They really are pants. Sorry Terry.

94. 2 NIL DOWN AFTER 5 MINUTES says:

Thats ok Rocky. By the time the euro crisis is over they wont even have any pants. Now weres that bottle of Ouzo. hahahaha

95. goonermichael says:

the mancs have just bought Powell from Crewe for 3M. If they don’t buy a big signing this summer then I’d say they are banking on FFP like us.

96. goonermichael says:
  97. Irishgunner says:

Evening all,

Great picture BR :) TR7 had a great first half today and the Czechs fell apart when he went off. He was controlling the midfield. He’s to have a scan on a Achilles problem I believe.

This Russia vs Poland match could go off – bit tense.

Strong rumours that ‘Arry twitchy face has left Spuds.

Poland-Russia – what a good first 20 minutes. Best game so far.

99. evonne says:

GM – nothing to do with football is right. 5000 russians marching through Warsaw to the stadium was a blatant provocation.
    How would you feel if 5000 Germans marched through London to Wembley?

100. evonne says:

Rocky – and the better team is….

101. Irishgunner says:

Ah ‘Arry has denied it – it was fun for 10 mins :lol:

102. Irishgunner says:

Evonne – It has been said for days they would march, the Polish authorities shouldn’t have allowed it. They also managed to get a massive “This is Russia” banner into the ground – that wasn’t snuck in in someone’s back pocket.

103. evonne says:

Irish – I know and I believe that because the security was very tight it didn’t get even worse.
    Anyway, I thought you are Polish today, no?

Irish. I would be more worried if Harry left!

His record speaks for itself.

Awful defending by Poland. Another assist for AA

106. Irishgunner says:

Evonne – I hope ye win or draw, I think ye can beat the Czechs and go through, and I expect Russia to beat or draw with Greece.

BR – Great ball in by AA23.

evonne
    to answer your earlier question: Poland were the better team for the first 20, then Russia after that.

I reckon Poland will score – but so might Russia again.

Nice summary, BR.
    The only bit I disagreed with was that Bendy played well. I thought he was pants.

Loving the ghost stories, peeps. Did I miss yours Rocky or are you still to tell?

109. evonne says:

Rocky – wrong answer :(

110. evonne says:

Chas – you cannot believe Rocky’s ghost stories. He actually believes in angels :)

Chas
    I haven’t revealed my spooky story – it’s a bit lame after dandan’s and Terry’s.

What a goal!

Angel on his shoulder there, evonne :)

113. evonne says:

what a goal???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

114. evonne says:

sometimes I am proud of being Polish :)

115. Irishgunner says:

Nice goal that.

Evonne – Is ye’re manager Tony Pulis without his cap? :lol:

I really liked BR’s story too. Two people seeing the same thing means it can’t just be in one person’s mind. Though I’m as much of a sceptic as RA, I’d love to see something. My old man was convinced he saw an old boy carrying a swinging lantern walk through a steel bulkhead when he was at sea in the war.
    Dandan’s story with a whole ghost pub, landlord and regulars is an absolute pearler. Real B&H too.

117. Irishgunner says:

I don’t believe in ghosts or any of that. I went down the dungeons in Edinburgh hoping to see/meet/experience one and change my mind – not even a candle blew out :-/

118. evonne says:

Irish – you just worry about your old Trap

This is the best game so far.

Chas
    Mine was an old lady in a house I used to live in. I saw her twice and my daughter (then a toddler) saw her too.

The story Redders described earlier (about the ghostly Roman soldiers) actually happened in York, I believe. I used to live there and I saw the place where it was supposed to have happened. It could be that Redders’ version refers to a similar story from London, but it sounds very close to the York one, except that in York the witness said the soldiers were about two feet BELOW floor level (so only visible from the knee up – the rest of their legs sunk below the modern floor). It was only subsequently that archaeologists found the Roman road buried two feet below the floor of the building.

There are a lot of sightings of ghostly Romans at some of the Hadrian’s Wall fort remains too.

120. Irishgunner says:

Evonne – We’ll give it a lash against the Spanish sure and the craic will be had and the hungovers will be suffered on Friday. G’wan Trap and the lads

Lovely goal. Game is stretched and the ref is a homer. I can see Poland winning

Us poles are doing alright evonne. I need them to get to at least 3rd place to get my stake back – what are the chances? :P

Can’t see Szczesny getting his place back.

124. evonne says:

I lived in a basement flat once; my brother came to stay with me. He does not believe in anything you cannot prove mathematically, utter through and through unbeliever. When he stayed with me he begged me to let him sleep in the sitting room; he was petrified of the little room and what was going on at night there – noises, light switch going on and off, someone opening and closing the door. I have no reason to disbelief him, he never lies, never.

125. evonne says:

Rasp – musimy i tak wygrac z Czechami. Bedzie dobrze, spoko

Tyton (tabbacco) is good all right

126. Illybongani says:

Here’s spooky….15 years ago I had a ring made at considerable expense. It was designed and made to my own specification – a real one-off. About 10 years ago I was on a cross-channel ferry leaning over the side playing with the ring, I’d lost a lot of weight and the ring was a little loose. To my horror the ring slid off and disappeared below the waves. To cut a long story short, 3 years ago I went into Greggs at Finsbury Park and bought a doughnut. I bit into it and guess what was inside?

Arshavin has lost/given the ball away a lot in the second half.

Illy
    Jam :D

129. evonne says:

Illy – jam?

130. Illybongani says:

Of course!

evonne
    Russia will beat Greece, so it’s very simple for Poland – you have to beat TR7 and his boys…

Arshavin disappeared in the second half. Lewandowski was completely anonymous, what happened to the player we saw v Greece?

Fair result.

133. dandan says:

AA was shot, his legs gone should have been subbed. He wont last a third 90 minutes if they have to work

134. evonne says:

Great game!

I lost my grandfather’s ring. I was in agony, looked everywhere for it, hired a metal detector, put signs on lampposts in the area promising a huge reward, made a replica and 2 years after I found it in the garden. Peaches daughter was here to confirm my screaming and joy were….huge.

135. evonne says:

Rocky – I don’t know, football can be funny. Remember how Arsenal lost to Portsmouth, against all the odds and Totts were relegated? Russian would do anything to hurt us

Rocky,
    Did you and your daughter see her at different times?

137. Irishgunner says:

Polska, Biało-Czerwoni! Polska, Biało-Czerwoni!

I once found a ring whilst diving in the Channel. It was very fancy so I had it melted down.

139. evonne says:

Irish – that’s my girl :) xxx
    I am always green for Eire

140. glic says:

I once found a doughnut in a jar of jam !.

141. Irishgunner says:

Evonne – its one of the few Polish phrases I don’t know that aren’t swear words :lol: I was singing it the other night when ye were playing Greece – well, humming along :lol:

142. Irishgunner says:

*I know that aren’t swear words

143. Illybongani says:

Raddy – couldn’t have been mine. Wood doesn’t melt…

When Ant and me were in Paris in 2006 some woman tried the gold ring scam on us. She got decidedly twitchy when we said she should take it to the police. Haha.

Chas
    separately

And you’d told her about it first, Rock?

147. Gooner In Exile says:

From wantaway stars having the best euros to ghosts to polish swearing another typical day on AA.

In relation to the post I need to see more of the Arsenal players to say who is having a decent time. It does not surprise me that Theo has not featured in Hodgsons pragmatic 4-4-1-1, although I’d say it is another managers view that he is not right for the central role.

On ghosts one of my clients recently showed me a pic taken by his wife in his house when she took it she instantly screamed and went a paler shade of pasty, the camera had apparently snapped a ghostly image of a young girl who was sitting next to their young son (alive and well). I’ve seen the image and there is definitely something there…he ran it past a few photo whiz kids and they said it wasn’t a lens fault or any kind of flaring. This came after a month or so of abnormal goings ons in his house. Since showing it to other relatively sane people who then gave many of their own tales they all involved their children or grandchildren. I remain a sceptic.

Where’s peaches, Rasp. GIE, Sharkey, kelsey, LB, Micky and everyone else? I want more ghost stories. :)

Right on cue……. spoooooooky.

150. TotalArsenal says:

Evonne, your boys did your country proud tonight, and what a fantastic goal! :)

Nope.
    She used to talk about the “nice old lady” who used to come into her bedroom.
    We just thought it was her imagination. Then a few weeks later I had my “encounter” and it set me thinking about what my daughter had been seeing.
    I asked her to describe the old lady – how she looked, what she was wearing etc – and it was a perfect match.

152. glic says:

When building the annexe for the Mother in Law, she stayed in the bedroom next to ours. One lightning filled stormy night, I was awoken by the most blood curdling scream emitting from her bedroom, a life sapping scream that sent a shiver down my spine. Me and the wife run to the bedroom to find her shaking, weak , pale terrified looking mum, what happened I asked, she said that she saw the most horrendous hideous looking face lying next to her after a lightning flash, I entered the room and immediatley noticed her vanity mirror on her bedside table facing her bed. Stupid bitch !.

Ah, thanks, Rocky.
    Another case of two people seeing the same thing.

glic,
    I find my reflection scary every morning. :)

154. glic says:

chas,
    My reflection gets the first wolf whistle of the day !. :lol:

155. Gooner In Exile says:

Ok so here’s the weirdest I’ve heard, and it came out of the conversations my client had after his experience.

(Talking to another relatively sane person)

The story is as follows:

This guy and his wife moved into a new house, whenever their grandchild came to say she kept mentioning this pilot who came to see her in the bedroom. They put it down to some childhood fantasy thing and too many movies. Anyway when they were doing some research into the house’s past they discovered that a bomber had crashed in the grounds during WWII all on board died. A book on local wartime history had a picture of the downed crew. The next time their granddaughter visited they opened up the book and started flicking through the pages as soon as they got to the picture of the crew she pointed to the pilot and said “that’s who comes to see me”.

I’m still a sceptic

156. oz gunner says:

hahaha glic

and Illy, that was hilarious too

I’m a sceptic like RA, but like Chas i’d like to experience something, i’ve been to old prisons asylums, haunted houses and nothing!

I’ve heard stories about how back in the 60’s and 70’s hallucinogenic drugs were quite common, your ghost stories all confirm it to me!

Oz
    Cheeky blighter :D

158. Gooner In Exile says:

Kyle Bartley in 1st team squad next year?

159. oz gunner says:

yes thanks GiE, perfect person to step in if we cash in on djourou. He and Miquel will be great Cb’s

Seen much of him, Oz or GIE?

161. Gooner In Exile says:

Rocky to be fair I watched him in Youth Cup Final and liked what I saw. And since then it’s just been brief highlights from Sheffield United and Rangers matches. Most reports from their fans have been good, and Rangers were pleased to take him back for the whole of last season after his previous half season loan was cut short by injury.

It appears Samir’s ssshhh gesture after scoring was aimed at the French Press who have been less than impressed by the little scrote
    :-) :-) :-)

163. glic says:

Actually Raddy when I watched Na$ri against England I thought to myself ,” he`s definitely lost quite a few pounds “, but I suppose living next door to a Greggs in Manchester he needs the extra wages !.

164. evonne says:

Morning all
    I love all your ghosts stories. Sadly, they cannot be true

TA – yes, I am proud as a punch. I was sure we would get slaughtered, but like Roy Keane said – any shortages in skills the Poles covered with heart and determination.

Rocky – we definitely hate Russians more.

165. evonne says:

Russians are very disappointed; they were sure they were going to sail through Euros and win it with ease.
    Also, the Russian FA were adviced to stop the march of their supporters; they were urged to stop known hooligans travelling to Poland. All of it was not even acknowleged by the reds

166. oz gunner says:

Morning all

@ Rocky

Pretty much like GiE, just highlights and word of mouth from rangers fans. A mate of mine from Scotland is a massive rangers fan and he raves on about him a fair bit. Including hoping he stays on a permanent deal

167. Brigham says:

As Lord Horatio Nelson once said…

“You must consider every man your enemy who speaks ill of your king; and . . . you must hate a Frenchman as you hate the devil.”

Brigham. Never a truer word ….. (apart from my French mates!)

New Post ……………..