Gunners – Reasons to be cheerful are 3

The summer of unrest has descended upon us, bringing in the usual speculations subdued by delays in transfer activities, caused by the Euros and worsened by terribly bad weather. There are not many things worse than getting up on a Saturday morning and realizing that there is no footy and it is raining outside. I check the list of football fixtures regularly, in case I slept for 3 months and missed the beginning of the season. Sadly, I am just deluding myself.

But I’d be damned if I am going to be miserable all day as I remind myself that it was the biggest achievement of the 20th century to discover that we can change the way we feel. I therefore will highlight a few reasons to be cheerful and one to be miserable, the choice is yours.

Reasons to be cheerful are three –

1. We have the best stadium and best training facilities in the country.

Emirates Stadium is the most technologically advanced football stadium in Europe, incorporating state-of-the-art facilities with stunning features from Arsenal’s Highbury past. Since its opening it has won several prestigous awards and it is widely acclaimed the most modern stadium in Europe.

‘The magnificent Emirates Stadium has become a landmark piece of modern architecture dominating the north London skyline. One of the most technologically advanced arenas in world football, Emirates Stadium provides a stage befitting for Arsenal’s ambition to remain one of the world’s greatest clubs.’

I can hear voices complaining that the building of the new stadium ruined our chances of trophies and will cripple us forever. That is not the case. Highbury could not be extended further due to environmental factors (including residents protests), the fact that parts of Highbury were Grade II listed objects and because of the safety directives at footballing grounds resulting from the investigations of the Hillsborough disaster.

To compete at the highest level, the Club had to build a new stadium. Did you know that monies received from premium seating and corporate boxes is nearly as high as the revenue from the entire stadium at Highbury?

Ashburton Grove is ours and that my fellow Gunners nobody can take away from us.

2.  We have the best manager in EPL.

Arsène Wenger epitomises everything that is The Arsenal – class, culture, discipline and hard work. I have no doubt that many will laugh at me for saying that, simply because the team has not won in anything for 7 years. Does ‘not winning’ make him a bad manager? I think not. There are factors out of his control, including luck, poor referring, oil freely flowing from the soil in wrong countries and the unwanted transfer requests of players who want more money.

Wenger has never embarrassed the Club. There were some unfounded rumours about his personal life and a few refusals to shake hands with some dubious characters, but other than that he has been a gentleman through and through. I cannot even begin to imagine Fergie being in charge of the beloved Club. The arrogant, bullish, unpleasant little Scott throwing boots at players, with the hairdryer treatments, and embarrassing his employer by the horse racing dubious dealings. His notorious mind-games and manipulations are unpalatable.

Some of you could comfortably cope with SAF’s shortcomings in return for a few more trophies. Not me.

And who is to say that any other manager would win trophies within Arsenal’s financial constraints? Will any other manager stay and try to do his very best to achieve The Clubs ambitions?

We are often reminded that he failed to sign Ronaldo, Torrez, Mata and many others. No manager can sign all of the players, there are limits. Nasri and Hazard snuffed ManU for City and Chelsea respectively, it happens to other clubs too. Those that Wenger has signed over the years have not been bad, have they? Every manager makes poor signings, look at SAF’s Bebe, Veron and Anderson.

3.  We play the most tantalizing football in EPL.

Again, I have to refer to sir Alex Ferguson and for that I apologise to GM and Chary. However, he is held by many as the best manager in EPL, to which theory I do not subscribe. He has recently issued a message to the season ticket holders (are the numbers falling down already?) stating that ‘There is no club in the world who can create the drama that we created last year’. On your bike Fergie, if you want drama, you come to the Emirates.

I attended a horse racing meeting a few years ago. Bob Wilson was there as a guest of honour; he delivered a short speech promoting his charity Willow. When he was asked about Arsenal’s chances of winning CL that season, he replied ‘We never do things the easy way’. Tell me Mr Wilson!

Nobody would disagree that we play exciting and interesting football. The technical abilities of players are superior to most competitors. And although concentration and motivation can be an issue at times, there is no other team as watchable as Arsenal.

Take away half a billion of pounds from City and 11 penalties from United, and then let’s compare who’s more successful.

4  Ok, I was to write only 3 reasons to be cheerful, but there are so many more!

The new season with all its excitement, joy and pain is about 9 weeks away. New fixtures, the prospect of watching Podolski, Jack will be back, we might even have a new captain! Only joking, Robin is going to stay put.

Written by evonne

186 Responses to Gunners – Reasons to be cheerful are 3

1. Gus says:

Lovely piece to lift my spirits

2. Scott says:

I love to read positive things about the club.
    We are supporters,so we should support,especially when things are a little tough.

3. MJB says:

Good to see posistive postings amid all of the dire ‘transfer-rumour’ trash.
    Positive outlooks tend to breed positive results. :-)

Great piece Evonne, thank you.
    “There are not many things worse than getting up on a Saturday morning and realizing that there is no footy and it is raining outside”.
    Not only is that just so true, but it really hits home today. Bank holiday, chucking it down and no footie on the box :-)

That was meant to be a :-(

6. The BearMan says:

Now I want to see improvements on the coaching front. Players should be always progressing, but over the years we have seen many standing still or going backwards.

The worst aspect is good players leaving and slagging off the club, and others on high salaries salary and loving the bench.

7. Kkb says:

1. We have the best training facilities, but with high injury rate during the season.
    2. We have the best manager who believe in school boys.
    3. We have the most tantalizing football which can’t win any trophies.

MJB,
    While I admire your “positive outlooks tend to breed positive results”, so do good players and Kagawa has joined Utd. 14 goals last term :-(

9. Scott says:

Podolski will have a bigger influence than Kagawa in the PL,and we got him.

Scott,
    I’m taking that as a Fact and feel better already :-)

11. herbsarmy says:

Just a quick comment from me and them I’m off again.
    Congratulations and well done on a wonderfully scribed maiden Post.
    On a side note to the author, there are three ways of disagreeing with a blogger’s comments.
    a) A cordial, polite response – “Sorry I don’t agree with any of that, but as a fellow Arsenal supporter, I respect your right to have an opinion.
    b) The warm friendly disagreement, as always seen from the likes of Dandan, Kelsey, Peaches Rocky, MickyDidIt, Red A***, TMHT, Chary – people from whom we can all learn.
    c) The nasty vindictive type, which achieves nothing but animosity, and does no-one any credit. And this Blog site deserves better than that.

12. keys says:

All that you’ve mentioned I think we are loosing two of them. Yes we have the best stadium which has never seen a trophy. Our manager was once the best but not any more. His tactics are so predictable. We have world class deffenders but he doesnt know how to make them protect our goal. His subs have been so horible. I dont want to see him leave though. He only need to be flexible and be a bit more ambitious. The beautiful football too we are loosing it gradually because we dont have a creative play maker to give the incisive passes.

Well done evonne – you see it wasn’t that hard :lol: That’s a very accomplished and upbeat maiden ‘maiden’ post

I hope we can find 5 or 6 reasons to be cheerful by the end of the transfer window

Herb, that was a nice assessment of evonne’s post, the rest was unnecessary I’m afraid.

evonne – please don’t respond

15. evonne says:

Rasp – of course we will :) The future is bright, and it’s red and white

16. herbsarmy says:

Rasp,
    if you think it was unnecessary, then I would question the validity of your core moral values.
    It wasn’t written as a criticism, I was simply saying that with a little effort, people, myself included, could be a lot more pleasant to one another.

Oh here we go.
    This can be cleared up quickly. I ask you Evonne “were the comments about tophies and the stadium move aimed at Herb?”

18. herbsarmy says:

And furthermore, I’ve had a lot worse said to me on here that you’ve never felt the need to intercept or raise issue with.
    The world is a much better place when people aren’t constantly sniping or involving themselves in petty point-scoring.

19. Karare says:

Culdn’t agree more especially about AW, even the self proclaimed special one would need miracle to perform like him with our kind of budget. we only need to take it from where we left last season and more belief of coz.

20. Phan Kitale; Kenya says:

What a nice and truthful article! Football can regain its lost glory when we re-instil this kinds of thought processes and inculcate the policy of winning decently.Arsenal is the yard stick for real football and i cant afford to miss a thing about this lovely club.Let’s sing on until trophies come to crown our facts and put the icing on the cake.A gunner for life.

Beautifully put Phan Kitale.

22. evonne says:

Micky – no, but who cares?

I am so grateful for your comments guys. It was the first post I have even written and was petrified that I’d be slaughtered. I should have known better – we are all related, right ?

23. Scott says:

My worlds bloody great,because I wake up and see what’s right with the world,even with Arsenal,and especially when things aren’t going so well.
    Seriously,so many carry on as if their entire life revolves around Arsenal,and life will soon end if we can’t manage to win a trophy.
    That’s sad.
    People always laugh at this,but one of my favourite Games last season was the 2-1 loss v Utd at home.
    It was one of the best and most exciting games I’ve ever seen,and though I love Arsenal and dance a jig when they win,I certainly don’t feel the need to slit my wrists when they lose and you know why….regardless of how some carry on,it’s a bloody game!!!!
    Seven whole years…boo bloody hoo.

Evonne,
    Thanks.
    Herb, I urge you to accept Evonne’s answer that they weren’t aimed at you.
    I care. For the sake of the site.

25. Scott says:

Evonne,anyone who can stick their neck out and write a post deserves kudos for a start.
    Anyone who has the decency and class to write a positive post on Arsenal is a bloody champion,as it’s pretty easy to drop down to the level of plenty of bloggers…well done again.

Herb, you misunderstand.

My motivation is not to pass moral judgement on any individual. It is to provide a platform for Arsenal supporters to air their views in a grown up and respectful way and to ensure that their hard work receives the exposure and fair responses it deserves.

I have done that for you and I am now doing the same for evonne.

Please respect this and only comment on footballing issues in relation to this post so as to avoid any further antagonism.

Scott,
    It’s all very well for you. Whatever happens, you have the sun AND Kylie.

28. James Allen says:

Reasons To be cheerful my arse FFS get your head out of the sand .. Our best players are leaving in their droves and the best available are signing for our rivals. Wenger treats fans with contempt by constantly misleading us with his often juvenile public statements, the owner has no passion for our club or tradition we are just a branding franchise to him, Gazidis is an egotistical joke whose begrudging transfer dealings cause the club much harm and we have at least 10 players in the first team squad who are nowhere near good enough to be at Arsenal but we can’t get rid of because of their ridiculous contracts. We are miles behind the Mancs 19 points worth, they continue to improve their squads which put us even further behind, we only finished ahead of the Chavs because of their In house fighting over AVB, we scraped into the CL by one point courtesy of WBA reserve keeper gifting us the final game. We will go into next season in the 2nd string of clubs fighting Spuds, Scousers & Toon for 4th place after yet another summer of failed promises from That buffoon Hillwood, the out of touch set in his ways Wenger & the utter jokes that are Gazidis & the Yank .. Wake up gooners and for drying out loud take off those rose tinted specs

29. herbsarmy says:

Micky,
    I didn’t for a moment think they were, my comment was more in relation with what has gone before. A call for peace and solidarity among the Arsenal ranks within the confines of this site.
    Isn’t it a fact that some bloggers stand out as being more friendly than others?

30. gnarleygeorge9 says:

31. herbsarmy says:

Rasp,
    My comment was written in the spirit of the Post, and in recognising that on the whole this is a friendly place to visit, although sometimes that spirit goes a little AWOL. No animosity was intended.

James Allen,
    Never have I read wiser more apt words than your final “for drying out loud”. Its chucking it down here :-)
    Let’s wait until the end of the window. I have a very good feeling we will address the weaknesses.

James, you are clearly an angry man, your comment is well over the top and disrespectful to the author and the Arsenal. However…….. your points could have been expressed in a way that would have invited a response and no doubt some level of agreement – instead you are just rubbing people up the wrong way.

Why don’t you come back and explain maybe one or two of your points in a form that invites discussion rather than shouting things in our face.

Thanks Herb

35. goonermichael says:

What a fantastic post evonne. Herb’s talking about me :) You may notice that I never get irate with anyone else herb. You just wind me up. You remind me of my second wife.

Poor old Rasp,
    Something tells me he had plans other than peacekeeping for today :-)

Herb,
    That’s a compliment from GM. If he’s really cross, you get likened to number 3 or 4 :-)

:lol: Micky

39. Illybongani says:

Well done Evonne, you’ve come over to the dark side with apparent ease – or rather the right hand side column! Very uplifting – these are the kind of comments that, come August, will have us chomping at the bit.

I can’t help but notice there’s an undercurrent of ill-feeling and irritation going down at the moment. I missed where it all came from and frankly, I don’t really want to know. Can I suggest a truce in true Kofi Annan style? This is a wonderful vehicle for anyone to voice an opinion, whether it may be controversial, interesting, boring or just plain stupid! Which ever category your post falls into, and I’m sure there are many others, they all deserve to be treated with respect and valued for what they are – another person’s opinion. Freedom of speech and tolerance are commodities that not all of us on the planet have easy access to and they should not be taken for granted…but heh, that’s just my opinion!

40. goonermichael says:

Kagawa is actually a sign that the mancs are losing thier dominance. They either wanted hazzard and lost him to a club with more money or didn’t really want him because they can’t afford him (very popular theory among manc fans). He is a good player and Japanese international. They need to sell shirts to increase revenue as they can’t compete with the oil money. Podolski is a much better signing (footballwise) IMO.

41. herbsarmy says:

I wish people would just accept it for what it is. We’re all reasonably intelligent people, and good manners and respect costs nothing.
    We’re not knuckle-dragging neanderthals, we’re football fans who support the greatest team in the world.
    There’s no peace-keeping to be done on my part, I was only going to leave the one comment until Rasp responded, and it wasn’t an ‘attack’, it was simply saying certain people could perhaps be a bit more friendlier to each other considering we are supporting the same cause. If I’m wrong for saying that, then I’m calling for the men in white coats to lock me away in a padded cell.

42. Scott says:

James,you’re one of those sad people I mentioned earlier.
    Gives us a smile champ,it’s just a game.
    You reckon I’ve got rose coloured glasses on,fair enough.
    I’d suggest you have blinkers on.
    Take them off,you’re missing some great things out there in the world!!!

43. goonermichael says:

I’m still with number 4 Micky. She’s OK

44. Slimgingergooner says:

Isn’t it a shame that the club do so much behind closed doors these days. I used to love the rumour mill to see who we may or may not sign. Now I don’t take much of an interest until an official statement is released. As I’ve said before though, I think we may have transfers in the bag and won’t release statements until after the Euro’s. Would love us to get Hoillett and Jaaskelinen on freebies. Does anyone know how many players we need to get rid of before we can sign players under the new squad rules?

45. goonermichael says:

I still love you herb :) (don’t love my second wife though)

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your support. I have written the post we will be publishing tomorrow. The title could get people like James wanting to put a hammer through their computer screen but the content (in the latter half) addresses some of the concerns held by many. My guess is that the majority of malcontents will not read all the way through and jump to conclusions resulting in a barrage of insults – it will be interesting to see.

47. herbsarmy says:

In future GM, I shall endeavour to make more effort and not irritate you so much.

48. goonermichael says:

Sorry herb. I shouldn’t get agressive and I apologise for that.

49. goonermichael says:

My initials are MJB but that wasn’t me earlier.

50. Scott says:

Rasp,I support anyone,any group who support Arsenal.
    The problem is if we defend the club or Wenger for one second,we’re AKB’s.
    Never mind the fact we may have given honest appraisals of things and how the club and Wenger can prove their performances,we’re labelled.
    Those constantly knocking the club truly believe we are all delusional(they’re favourite description).
    I just do not understand how anyone can wake up each morning,kick the dog,look in the mirror and cry,jump on the net and abuse Wenger and the club,then claim to be a supporter.
    They may well love the club,but I’d suggest if the club and sport upset them so much,find something else to do.

GM,
    Sincere apologies for getting the wife count wrong.
    On Kagawa. I like your optimism about Podolski, and now that he’s signed up, so have I. However, he’s a front three man, whereas Kagawa is an AM who bagged 14 last season. I would think its a good signing for Utd.
    I’m really struggling with our AM position (as a post I’ve submitted will illustrate), as I’ve no idea who Arsene has in mind long term.

Thanks Scott – so when are we going to publish your debut post? You aussies are always good performers as you said earlier :P

53. Afa-hide says:

Good write up!

Hi Micky, we’ve scheduled the first of your articles for Thursday if that’s OK with you, have you any preference as to which we use?

Nope. Unless the AM position has changed by then!

56. Scott says:

Hahaha Rasp.
    It would take some convincing for me to write one.
    I was asked once,sent it off only to see it cut to ribbons.
    I asked the forum admin why,and they said it needed to be more sensational.
    I told them if they wanted glossy,media crap and lies,they’d asked the wrong bloke.
    One day.

57. goonermichael says:

Kagawa is a good player Micky. He’s an Arsenal type of signing though. The mancs are crying out for an attacking midfielder though and in the past they would have spent more.

58. Scott says:

GM,I agree on Kagawa.
    I do believe Podolski is a fantastic signing for us,but Kagawa is going to the wrong club to show his worth,imo.

I’d like to hear from someone in the Far East. Do most Gooners buy official merchandise, or do they buy cheaper copies. Really just wondering how much is really in the shirt sales/player aquisition stories.
    My personal feelings on say Park is that it was simply a question of mistaken identity and Arsene mixed up the youtube clips. Nothing whatsoever to do with shirt sales.

GM,
    Oh, I see what you mean.
    In terms of Hazard, I think he’s way over priced, and more a wide player than AM anyway.

61. goonermichael says:

If we get Mvila isn’t he a defensive midfielder? Does that mean Jack can play a more attacking role? Or Song even?

Scott, we wouldn’t cut anything you submit to ribbons. We aim to publish the antithesis of “glossy,media crap and lies”.

We offer ‘sensitive editing’ and pictorial enhancement if required and never publish unless the author is happy with the finished article.

63. goonermichael says:

I agree about hazzard. I think Jack or the Ox are just as good prospects. His fee is so over the top considering his stats are not as good as Gervinho’s.

64. goonermichael says:

Scott
    I wrote a psot once and if I can anyone can.

GM,
    Correct about M’Vila. With a true DM on board, there are, in my opinion, many more options for both Song and Jack as to an extent they could be relieved of some of their defensive duties.

66. goonermichael says:

and how is Hulk worth 40m?

It looks like M’Vila is our first choice for DM/box to box, so it would be a shame if we looked elsewhere purely on the grounds of price (addressed in tomorrow’s post :P ). I agree with Micky, we also need a midfield playmaker.

Good to see that the club is considering improving Arteta’s contract. That says a lot about Arsenal. We don’t have to offer him anything at this stage, but recognition of how well he played in the form of an improved contract is very good man management IMO

GM,
    Has Hulk signed for someone?

Thanks Evonne, its great to be positive and upbeat about the team, and like you, i see plenty of reasons for been so. I think we will surprise a few people next year. sometimes we lose ourselves in a quagmire of football depression, and in our case its useuly centered around players leaving, lack of players arriving, and failiure to compete financialy. But i believe we can overcome these obstacles and hopefuly next season.

Herb my dear fellow, i have my beady eye on you and Barry Manilows, Lola/Herbie awaits. hahaha

Artsenal..great news.

71. goonermichael says:

I think we’ll get M’vila or someone similar. Arteta is getting a payrise apparently

72. James Allen says:

The tactic of the club is to make false promises each year and put tight deadlines on season ticket holders to renew the most expensive ST’s in the world.. Hence the promise from AW that we will be challenging for the EPL next season.. Bullshit, we will not be anywhere near challenging I guarantee it & this bothers me because I am passionate about the club and I can see Gazidis & Kroenke are not. Reading some of the responses & comments on here I have concluded that not only are too many On here wearing “rose tinted specs” but I fear they also have too much happy baccy in their roll ups. Stop being conned by the Gazidis/Wenger spin .. I have sadly decided not to renew my ST for the first time in 37 years & will refuse to attend another game until Gazidis & Kroenke are gone?.. There you have it.

73. Scott says:

I’ll do it one day Rasp.
    On the merchandise…..I buy a genuine shirt most seasons,but every now and again the boss lady will grab my son and I one each from who knows where on the net.
    My sons bedroom is decked out in everything Arsenal,and all sourced from the UK…..should I assume it’s genuine???
    Here in Oz,I’d say Arsenal is second most popular behind Utd.
    Next would be Chelsea.
    Next,funnily enough a recent phenomenon,would be Citeh!!!
    This is based on seeing people wearing club shirts,and what I see in people’s homes….I’m a sales rep,so visit 7-8 a day.
    Of course,those with Arsenal posters on bedroom walls get looked after on price!!!

The way I see things is that we are two players short of a title contending side. My guts say we will get only one without a bit of sell-to-buy, and to get sufficient funds for the quality needed, that would mean a current first teamer.
    I’d do it in a heartbeat.

75. Scott says:

As I said James,maybe you’re better off,if it depresses you so much.
    It really is only a game though mate.

Hi James, why don’t you at least give it until the end of this summer’s dealings. The reasons given for our modest transfer activity in recent years are beginning to disappear.

I assume you accept that we can’t compete financially with city and chelski – but we may well be overtaking many of the 2nd tier spenders in the next few years.

Oh well James,
    Guess we won’t be seeing you for a pre-match willy stiffener then :-)

Quite right Scott.
    I once employed someone purely on the grounds of their Arsenal allegience. He was easily the worst amplicant!

Jeepers, the “m” is nowhere near the “p” on the keyboard either

80. Scott says:

Lol Micky?

81. dandan says:

Morning all, Super stuff Evonne,

Bye bye James, how strange that some one of your maturity has not learnt that cutting off your nose to spite your face is a pointless exercise.
    I suggest you watch England play their next three games and you will perhaps understand just why the majority of AA’s think we are lucky to have our club and why they are value for money.
    Rose tinted maybe, Red and white biased definitely, but that is what 60+ years of following the greatest club does for you. I could have been a spud as all my family are, but common sense has always been one of my Virtue’s, :-)

82. Scott says:

I’d love some fans with the opportunity to watch games live know what it’s like to wake up at 3 am on a Monday morning to watch his club play.
    I’d give my right arm to be ale to see them each week.
    Next year though,the Grizwolds are coming to The Emirates….well,the Jacksons are.

Scott,
    Well said, and I hope to meet you when you bring the gang to a game.
    We shouldn’t knock those who jack in their season tickets when the going gets tough, as firstly, the atmosphere improves in the stadium, and second there are many good people on the waiting list who inch their way closer.
    I am sorry people like James feel that way, but its a whopping Hey Ho from me.

84. Scott says:

I shall be indulging in pre and post match ales somewhere near the ground,so all will be invited!!!
    It’s about 90% sure to happen next year…..if not,certainly the year after.
    I can’t wait.
    Even my wife,who has no real love for the ame,says there’s absolutely no way she’s missing out after seeing the stadium and crowds on tele.

85. dandan says:

Mickey to be fair, I am pretty certain that many who, give their season tickets up, do it for financial reasons rather than the sentiments they express on here. Who can blame them in these difficult times, a choice between your family’s wellbeing and a ticket is no choice at all really is it

86. Andy Mack says:

Hi, Good article. I’d add;
    1) Not sure we sstill have the best facilities, but certainly one of the very best. I hear the Allianz Arena is also special.
    2) AW isn’t perfect. He has put faith in some players that completely failed to deliver and some who delivered far to little, but the same can de said of every other managed (anyone want djembe djembe?).
    3) With Jack (and hopefully a fully fit Diaby) coming back plus some seriously talented younsters coming through, the season ahead looks good.

87. ak47 says:

enjoyed that thanx.

88. COS says:

Evonne, very nice post, well done! good to see some positivity around. This is not to say that the club have not made any mistakes – of course they have. However, the truth iswe cannot compete with the petrol dollars flooding into our league,and the fact that we remain top four is miraculous. I actually kind of enjoyed last season – though my heart cannot take many more like it! Bring on next year!!!

89. evonne says:

Cos – thank you :)

90. evonne says:

Dandan and ak47 – you are very welcome

Andy – someone drunk half of your glass :) We can only succeed by staying strong and positive. Doubts and negativity could only result in more negativit and weaken the morale. I am not blind (yet) and can clearly see some shortcomings of the Club and the manager. But they are not the enough a reason for me to criticise something that is so close to heart, without fully appreciating what’s been given to me

Three cheers for the Polish Princess

Hip, hip, hurrah.
    Hip, hip, hurrah.
    Hip, hip, hurrah.

Nice one Evonne.

92. Red Arse says:

Well done, Evonne, :-)

An excellent debut Post, well constructed and written like a native born Hertfordshire girl! :-)
    I hope you will entertain us with more, please!

Inevitably, your sentiments will attract dissenting voices, like James A above, and that is fine – we are all entitled to our own views.

What irritates me, a bit, is the slightly insulting comment that I, and others like me, are incapable of seeing anything without the aid of ‘rose tinted glasses’ because I do not share his/their rather ‘gotterdamerung like’ description of Arsene and every other official at the club.

I have my doubts about certain aspects of Arsenal’s transfer policy too, from time to time, but to ascribe malicious intent to Arsene and others, without any proof, is just a little over the top.

But then I am clearly too stupid and gullible to know any better, so thank goodness for the likes of James A to lead me into righteous thinking and to throw away my non-existent rose tinted specs. :-)

Anyway, Evonne, I enjoyed your Post! :-)

93. evonne says:

RA – thanks, means a lot to me :)

“Glass half empty or half full” is so profoud. Two people present at the same scene and seeing the opposite! Took me long time to grasp that phenomena

94. jnyc says:

:-) made me cheerful :-)

So, having not read the early morning comments, I jumped straight into this post without knowing who the author was.

Usually I’m quite good at guessing the author of AA posts.

Reading the introduction… ah! it’s another fine piece from Mr TA.

But wait a minute… into the “reasons to be cheerful” – it must be Terry and his Telescope…

…although, the writing style is less direct than Terry’s. I’ve got it – GiE is back with a bang!

But then that whole bit about Arsene never having embarrassed the club and having kept up its standards as the classiest club in the land… sounds more like BR or dandan.

Having said that, they don’t go round hobnobbing with ex Arsenal stars like Bob Wilson these days. It must be Kelsey… or maybe Rasp.

Our playing style is a joy in and of itself? Maybe LB got off his bike and onto the keyboard for a change :)

But now I’m approaching the end, and this piece is clearly not the work of any of the above. Its style is completely individual. One might say it’s poles apart from anyone else’s style.

And there it is: the author by-line :)

Well done evonne. Who knew that, in addition to all your other blessings, you also happen to be a damn good writer.

As Redders said earlier, beautifully constructed and engagingly written. As good a debut Post as we’ve had for a long time. Congratulations.

And, by the way, I agree with every word :D

96. neamman says:

Mickeydid it
    Most shirts in the far east are fake. The quality is so good you wont ven know
    anyone think Arteta has done enough to warrant a revised contract? I say no.

Hi neamman, I’m afraid I’d have to disagree with you. Do you not think that Arteta is worthy of at least the same wages that Almunia and Diaby have been receiving?

Is Arteta asking for his contract to be revised?

99. evonne says:

Rocky – i am giggling like a cretin :) But you are right, all of the guys that you have mentioned contributed to the post; they and You are my mentors and inspiration. I owe you much more than you will ever know. Thank you.

Hi LB, there were numerous reports this morning that Arsenal were entering into talks with Arteta to negotiate a new contract. There may well have been a clause written into his original Arsenal contract (in which he took a pay cut compared to his Everton salary) to stipulate that it should be reviewed if he met certain performance based criteria.

neamann
    I’m afraid I have to disagree. After RvP (and maybe Kozzer), I think Arteta was our most important player last season.

Just look at how we struggled when he was out through injury. His selfless willingness to defend whenever Song (or others) surged forward, plus his own attacking threat, were much needed additions to our first team.

If anyone merits a pay rise based on performance, it’s him.

Doesn’t mean the reports are true though – it could be spurious Fleet Street nonsense.

103. neamman says:

Rasp, I think he played well..but he has a 4 year contract and hes 30..its all downhill from now. ok mayube the first 2 years hes underpaid..but thge last 2..probably overpaid.. IMHO. Im not knocking him..hes great..and if it were 2 years I say get a raise..but 3? Not so sure.

Evonne. A fine positive post. I really enjoyed it and look forward to reading more from you.

I thank my lucky stars every day for guiding me into the way of the Arsenal when I could so easily have succumbed to the forgotten attractions of the Spurs Double side.

A definite reason to be cheerful

Hi Neamann, Arteta’s greatest assets are his intelligence and reading of the game. He, like Cesc, has never been blessed with pace, but he does have the attributes that allow a player to perform well into their 30s.

I think Arteta made the difference between CL and no CL to Arsenal this season and so has already earned the value of his contract in advance.

106. evonne says:

Raddy, Rasp, GM and Micky, and anybody that I missed out – thank you.

107. glic says:

E va va vonne, A lovely ” rose tinted ” post !. :)
    Finding out your 2nd wife was a man ( ” Herb, your just like my 2nd wife ” ) must have been awfull for you gm, hope you weren`t looking for the Clematis at the time !.

evonne, your post has attracted over 3,500 hits, that is very respectable for your first effort particularly taking into consideration that it is a Bank Holiday – well done.

109. evonne says:

Glic, you silliness :)
    Rasp – ta! I am working on another right now. You will regret ever asking me :)

110. glic says:

Terry`s singing seems to have scared Herb off. Singing was the second choice to try and get Herb`s “optimistic juices ” flowing . I suggested to Terry that we should give him our version of the ” Chinese water torture “, the Carlsberg Lager torture ( probably the best torture in the world ), but Terry said it was to risky as our previous attempt at torture didn`t go too well.
    Our version of “Waterboarding”, Carlsberg Lager boarding ( probably the best boarding torture in the world ). We tried it on our unsuspecting ” guinea pig ” aka GIE. We tied him down on a table at the Tavern, with a beer matt and plenty of lager , we tried our best to torture him, but GIE kept asking for more, he was lapping it up, crying for more, the man was untorturable, we even tried to suffercate him with one of Mr Popperlopperdopperlous`s mega kebabs with XXL everything on it to no avail. We gave in, after continueously tipping lager on him, we both ended up with Repetative strain injuries to our wrists and walking down Blackstock Rd with limp wrists after leaving the Tavern, we were chased by Homophobic gay bashers !.
    Terry`s singing, so much easier and cheaper !.

111. glic says:

Wasn`t it Chary`s birthday yesterday ?. Champagne Chary !. :)

112. evonne says:

Rasp – I have just remembered something. A few years ago an Austrian had advertised for a “young well-built man, who wanted to be eaten”. He had a few thousand hits and 200 resposes :) Isn’t internet marvellous? Where else would you generate such interest :)

Yes evonne, and very delicious he was too :oops:

114. weedonald says:

Evonne….well done…you are a true Gun- ner…….we need your sun!

The BearMan-you claim that: ¨Finally we invest in young players, only to dump them in countries and club without so much as a development plan.¨ – with all due respect….Back that ridiculous statement up! Its rubbish negativism and has no basis in fact.

James Allen….Its a free country mate but there’s only one response to your anti-Wenger, gloomy, doomer, anti-Board rant and threats to give up your ST and never go to another game again until that board is changed ….So what?

I heard a rumour that the Emirates is going to build a special soundproof booth, with polarized windows just for the AAA and anti-Wenger crowd (will seat 25 at a time). the soundproofing is to ensure that true Gunners don’t hear fellow fanboys booing their team and the polarized windows will only allow poor plays and adversaries goals to be seen by the fanboys inside. As well, suitably funereal music will be played inside the booth to enhance the ¨mood¨! Why don’t you apply for a St for that booth….youll be among fellow travellers mate!

115. evonne says:

ha ha ha :) his manhood was consumed first, when he was still alive

Cornwall, hahahaha.

Evonne, i remember that.I know that i shouldnt make a joke about it, coz its pretty horific but the bloke who got eaten was Chinese so i always wondered who was the first person to ask the Austrian “did you enjoy your Chinese ?”

117. evonne says:

weedonald – all dog lovers think alike :) My GS bitch is called Shirley :)

Rasp, hahahahaha,

119. evonne says:

Terry !!! Why should we not laugh about it? Both concented to the act, both enjoyed it, so why should we not laugh now?

I feel a bit guilty about Evonne, specialy now i know “Rasp the Cannibal” did it. hahahaha

I wonder if Rasp put some soyer sauce on him first?

122. glic says:

E va va vonne said , ” his manhood was consumed first “, who said Rasp doesnt get the grasp of it ?. I`m thought of a good limerick for that , but I`ve binned it myself ! :lol:

123. evonne says:

Terry – I don’t think so, I had seen some pics and it looked like he uses a lot of ketchup.
    I was on a business trip in Switzerland around that time and my colleague and I laughed about the story at dinner, until we noticed that our Swiss guests looked green, oh dear…

124. glic says:

I`m = I`ve

125. TotalArsenal says:

Hi Evonne, I doff my cap to thee! :)

Thanks for a well-written and super positive maiden post. I always knew you could do it, and am really happy you found a bit of courage to put pen to paper. Please let it it be the start of many more to come! :)

You have touched on the essence of what sets Arsenal apart, with your three reasons – the very foundations of our club in the modern era.

Anybody who enjoys football, enjoys life and is proud to be a Gooner should heed your advice at the end of your post:

‘We, the fans have a role to play as our belief is passed on to the team, so let’s give our best. The trophies will come, they will be ours, do not worry about that. But for crying out loud, do not spoil the fun of being the part of the greatest Club in the world and when the first whistle goes in August and the aura lifts, embrace the feeling that something special may happen. Oh boy, bring it on!!’

Lovely stuff Evonne.

I like weedonald’s booth idea, a bit like those very funny glass smoking booths at airports.

Always make me laugh watching those poor folk forced to become anti-smoking adverts.

Thats all wrong aint it Cornwall, ‘Cock au vin’ should never be a starter. hehehe

128. weedonald says:

Big Raddy……right, never thought of that. We could have a banner over or under the booth saying something like ¨Beware becoming an AAA or anti-Wenger whiny gloomer otherwise you’ll end up as an advertisement for human failure!!!¨ Lets see if we can get AFc to actually try this out…anyone game?

129. glic says:

Terry :lol:
    You know there`s so much I could say on the matter, but I promised to be good ! . :)

Cornwall, hahahaha. know what you mean. Been serious for a minute this austrian bloke would have no chance on masterchef. He should have gone for the testiceles first. They make a delicious starter in many world wide cuisines.

131. glic says:

Anyone who thinks that would be delicious should have gone to SpecSavers first !.

132. glic says:

I was going to have some pickled onions with my cheese sandwich, but I`ve now returned them to the jar !

133. evonne says:

TA – you have competion now :) I truly appreciate your comment coz I learnt so much from you xx

Glic promised to be good, ha ha ha, how old are you Glic?

134. TotalArsenal says:

Hi Evonne :)

Apparently 25,000 Poles will attend Holland’s training session in Krakau tomorrow!

135. goonermichael says:

I agree about the shirts being fake in the far east. i saw the check manc one before it had been released in Vietnam. I think shirts in Japan are more likely to be genuine as they are quite strict about that. I found all that bollocks about the mancs having trillions of fans worldwide. They sell less than 2 million shirts. If Lady Gaga had a kit she’d probably outsell them.

136. glic says:

E va va vonne
    Not sure what my age has to do with me promising to be good ? but if you care to expand, I may give you the answer of how “young” I am ( not that hard really, have a look on 30th May post ) :)

137. tomstoned says:

just in from the far North to say…great post Evonne..and wish All Gooners a great summer :)

Hi Tom, and a stress free summer to you too :P . What level of achievement for Norway would be acceptable to you in the Euros?

139. goonermichael says:

They will do as well as us Rasp. The Irish look better than our pikey team.

140. tomstoned says:

Hi there Rasp..sad to say Norway is not very good at the moment,so we’ll have to look ahead and hope that we can improve in the future,,,its kinda funny..over here we look at an *old*gunner to be part of the rise of a new generation..Nordtveit….he slowly becoming a very decent player..but we have to be patient…i think if we can qualify next time it would be a big step in the right direction for us ..so my only hopes for the Euro is that Spain loose every game they play….Spain smells like *barca*to me and them i really really dont like Rasp ;

141. goonerjake says:

Nice positive post.

142. Irishgunner says:

I love the picture of the Queen in her cap :)

The Irish will surprise people at the Euros, we’re not going home after the group stages, we’ll be seeing ye in the quarter-finals, or preferably the French.

Great post, Evonne.

Having read your uplifting homage d’Arsenal, I feel even more cheerful that I was born a Gooner. I love the description of our football as ‘tantalizing'; just perfect. :)

144. goonermichael says:

Irish
    I doubt we’ll get out of the group.

145. Hi all, arriving to the party late and well done Evonne for a great, brave post.
    I wouldn’t have the guts to write a post in anything other than my first language so I doff my sombrero to you.

146. Irishgunner says:

GM – England intrigue me. I watched the game with Belgium and ye looked a bit sluggish, lacking any real creativity. Yet, ye were set up really well.

If I were Hodgson, I’d do a Newcastle and put everything around Carroll, he’s not as bad a player as everyone makes out, just Liverpool aren’t set up for him. Whip in some crosses for him. Wellbeck does look like a good finisher.

Monday 5pm – England vs France, going to be a good one. I like the French, think they are right in there under the radar.

147. Scott says:

Irish,I’ve got a nutcase,psycho aliverpool supporting mate,and I told him Carroll signing would be the end of Dalglish.
    What you say is correct…..he’s a Newcastle,Stoke,Sunderland the player,not a Liverpool guy.
    Imagine him at Arsenal….he’d be even worse!!
    It’s the same reason…well,in reverse…that Torres would be a hit with us,but struggles at Chelski.
    Horses for courses……

148. Gooner In Exile says:

I’m not really here…..I’m on holiday and the phone is switched off.

But Im up early and cheating. Have only read the post, and what a fine post it is Evonne. The corporate revenues at Emirates being greater than the entire income from Highbury is a great stat. That probably still means 50000 Gooners get in to the ground as ordinary paying customers.

I see United gave signed Kagawa for £12m rising to £17m, whilst Chelsea have finalised Hazard deal for £32m. £32m for a 21 year old! FFP not working? Well it’s more forgiving for 100% owned clubs they can overspend by more than us, but also FFP is about the wages rather than the transfer cost. So we will have to see. I think the money we paid for Ox is looking better every day.

Finally here’s a vid compilation of young Aaron, if someone else has already posted it I apologise:

GIE,
    Nice vid but it needs a health warning. I still haven’t watched video of Rambo having his leg snapped. Just the thought turns my stomach. Whenever I see Arsenal in blue and those hideous Stoke shirts my hands automatically cover my eyes in an instant; the online equivalent of LB and his sofa.

150. Gooner In Exile says:

Just read the days entertaining comments.

One question went unanswered thy was from SGG re squad, so here goes, our PL squad from 1.2.2012:

1 Santos
    17 Henry
    18 Song (HG)
    19 Squillaci
    20 Van Persie
    21 Vermaelen
    22 Walcott (HG)

As you can see it wasn’t at 25 man limit but that’s because we reached limit of 17 non home grown.

So for next season we can remove Henry and Yossi. One of those non homegrown berths has been filled by Podolski already.

Now we also need to find room for those who will be over 21:

Szczesny (HG)
    Ramsey (HG)

Plus we have to sort the futures of all the loanees like Lansbury, Bendtner, Arshavin and Vela.

Coquelin, Wilshere, Chamberlain, Jenkinson, Afobe, Miyachi, Frimpong and Miquel. All except Miyachi count as homegrown although I think Miyachi will if we keep him this season (or at least in the PL).

Do we really want to lose all those youngsters for the sake of buying world class now. This is what Wenger means when he talks of stifling youngsters.

151. Gooner In Exile says:

Apologies Chas….it’s one of the most awful moments I have witnessed on a football pitch, up there with Buust and Eduardo, and only Muamba has given me more shivers.

GIE,
    Are you suggesting if we buy two more experienced players we will lose 8 youngsters? The youngsters that are good enough will play as Wilshere and Chamberlain have proved.

No probs. Having had dislocated ankles and knees myself, I’m really squeamish. My brain sends pain signals down my nervous system which make me wince even just watching video. Big wuss, yes. :)

I’ve still to catch up on the weekend’s action on the blog.

I did see Micky sparing a thought for ‘camping chas’ (thanks for not making it camp chas :) ).
    Astonishingly, we managed to get the tents up on Sunday before the rain hit, Monday was beautiful and sunny day on the beach and the tents were packed up on Tuesday before the rain moved in. Perfecto.

155. Gooner In Exile says:

I’m not suggesting we will lose them I am suggesting that when they turn 21 (for some in the next year) we have to name them in the 25, we only have Arshavin, RvP, Sagna and Arteta up in the late 20’s early 30’s. So if everyone already in the squad stays it makes it difficult to find room in the 25 for that crop of youngsters. It’s just a fine balancing act that needs to be understood before we get critical of spending policy.

We fans crave players as passionate about our club as we are (like Jack, Pong, Sz etc). I think we need to do quite a bit of juggling to truly strengthen.

It would appear Fabianski and Arshavin are on their way out the door, but we need to shift others too, Bendtner, Vela etc. then we might be able to add a couple more non home grown, so I think even though it might not be a money issue we still need to sell before buying.

156. Illybongani says:

Bit random (as I think the kids say today)…but with with Neil Banfield and Steve Bould being promoted to first team duties, just what does Boro Primorac do?

The official website doesn’t even say “Boro tends to stay out of the limelight, but can be found at first-team, Reserve and Academy matches alike – providing an important and hugely positive influence on the Gunners’ players and staff”….oh he’s a fan then?

Thank goodness you are here “I’m not really here” GiE,
    I think I finally understand the situation. Thanks.
    Monrning to you both. Glad weather held out Chas.

158. Gooner In Exile says:

Illy it’s a question LB raised recently too and neither of us knew the answer.

Interestingly you’ve made me look at all the coaching staff now. I’m glad Tony Roberts is on GK coaching staff as I always rated him highly as a keeper.

I also notice at the bottom we have a young fellow called Ben Knapper whose responsibility is to provide video breakdowns and analysis to Arsene, and we are always told Wenger doesn’t use this stuff by the critics.

159. evonne says:

Chary, Illy, Chas and GiE – thank you.

I am beginning to be very nervous about Euros. I so want Poland to succeed off the pitch. I hope English are going to like my country. My little Ox is going to Krakow, aaaahh.. Dandan, does your wife know that?

Hi GiE, don’t start me on this :(

The idea that bringing in developed talent will stifle our young players because they will (hopefully) come good in a few years time is one that really infuriates me. That future never arrives and if the players do turn out to be good enough we struggle to hold on to them. We simply cannot plan for a team 3 years ahead, we’ve proved that does not work. We should only plan for the next season and if that means bringing in players who are currently better than what we have – then so be it.

Rasp,
    100% agree.

Here’s an interesting ponderer.
    Have more young players really established themselves since we have been more exclusvely following a youth policy than when we were bringing in the likes of DB, TH, Vieira, Petit etc?

163. Illybongani says:

I can’t help but feel over the last 2/3 years the title has been there for the taking, ultimately won by not particularly great teams. Not in the same class as our ’98 or ’04 sides anyway. I honestly feel that if we’d gone out and bought recognised quality instead of waiting for the kids’ balls to drop we could have been realistic title challengers.

If ManU had won the title this year I would have been even more convinced. Their poorest side that I can remember. Can you imagine if we’d signed Arteta 2/3 years ago as cover for Cesc? Instead of us imploding when Cesc missed a few games we could have carried on seamlessly.

Morning Micky,

Another interesting point – not many is the answer. Also how many players have had one good season and then left? …. Hleb, Flamini, Adebayor, Na$ri …. RvP after one season injury free?

165. Gooner In Exile says:

Rasp, so we sign 2 non homegrown and 3 home grown and get to our 25 man limit.

Next season we need to add Jack, Sczcesny and Chamberlain to the squad, what do we do then?

I’m not saying it stifles but I’m saying we need to strike a balance and it needs to be carefully considered. If we end up with 25 proven players on 3 year contracts, what do we do with the youngsters?

The thought that we can’t hold on to them is true of Cesc and Nasri but surely you see these are different to Jack and Frimpong?

Hi GiE, I appreciate the problem. it is a difficult balancing act. Personally I doubt whether Frimpong will make the grade – Coquelin is a better footballer. Also Frimpong’s twitter activity etc is unlikely to impress AW.

167. Gooner In Exile says:

Micky, in effect the following:

Wilshere, Song, Gibbs, Szczesny, Walcott (altho more spurious in terms of homegrown).

168. Illybongani says:

Rasp – I guess he would rather him twitter than stagger out of nightclubs bloody and beaten?

Illy/GiE,
    Balance is the answer, I agree. I do think one commanding experienced leader in the middle would make all the difference. In other words, we are not far off.

170. Gooner In Exile says:

You might be right on Frimpong but I’d keep him. This is one aspect I think Fergie gets right keeping the likes of O’Shea, Brown and Fletcher for 5-10 years of loyal service to a club they love, who are happy to be in the squad, know they are not first team regulars but able to put in a shift give 100% and not complain when they are dropped the next game.

Haha, I agree Illy. He has the heart of a lion and clearly loves the Arsenal, but I get the feeling he is not an Arsène-type player.

My secret suspicion (not quite so secret now) is that Walcott will be the big money flog in the sell-to-buy equation.

I’d keep him too GiE if he would be content to be a bit-part player.

Hi Micky, here’s a dreadful thought to ponder – was Podolski bought as replacement for RvP and Theo?

Although long term I see Ox as an AM, he’s not ready yet, and I simply don’t see Walcott winning the battle for a starting birth against Ox and Podolski. I also feel a second season improvement from Gerv.

Rasp,
    I’ve stated my thoughts that the board would take the money for Robin rather than run the injury risk as well as the getting nothing in a year, but I am changing my mind.

Micky, IG’s recent statement about the ‘deal has been done’ re RvP suggests to me that he is going

Some fascinating and complex early morning issues.

The 25 man squad is complicated. What do we do with Diaby? Can a player be replaced in the named squad if long term injured?

If AFC allow RvP to leave it is the clearest indication yet that we are a business and not a football club.

180. VCC says:

Was told this a couple of weeks ago ….RvP to Juventus.

Source = Daily Mirror insider (employee).

Hope my source is wrong though.

VCC. My Italian friends were saying that in early April …. I didn’t believe them :-(

VCC,
    Interesting about Juve, as I was about to ask in response to Rasp’s comment, where would a likely destination be. Fiscal affairs in Spain may mean a 60+% tax band, and Italy is in some corruption scandal limbo.

Guys, this is a fascinating discussion please continue it on today’s

….. New post………….

184. Scott says:

My source says Messis coming to Arsenal lol.