George Graham: A personal Retrospective.

There are moments in a football life that live forever. We all have them -Micky T at Anfield, TA6’s goal v Everton, TH14’s v MU, Dennis at Newcastle or Freddie in Cardiff. But it is the childhoood memories which really stand out and for me they are often connected to the ’70-’71 Double team. One of my favourite ever goals was scored by one of my early heroes – George Graham.  Nicknamed “Stroller” thanks to his languid style, Graham was a frustrating player, capable both of brilliance and walking through a game contributing nothing.

This goal was against Man Utd at a packed Highbury, 60+ thousand fans in a steamy, smoke filled stadium. I was in the North Bank, about half way up, just under the roof – I wasn’t big or brave enough to join the lads up the back. The Man Utd team included the brilliant George Best and Best scored one his goals in front of the North Bank. The signature arm raised salute was given a volley of abuse from the North Bank Gooners but we all knew we had seen something special. Then we got  a corner, or it could have come from a Geordie Armstrong cross – either way the ball came in from the wing at The Clock End, and in what seemed to be slow motion Stroller leapt into the air and scissor kicked the ball from the edge of the area leaving the keeper (Stepney?) groping for air. Highbury went wild – at least that is how it is in my current alcohol raddled head.

It doesn’t matter whether my memory is historically correct – we didn’t have the internet or Sky – what is important is the effect it had upon the young BR and his relationship to George Graham. GG went from being an ex-Chelsea Scottish striker into being The Man – and for some time he was. Imagine a taller Paul Merson, GG was the same type of player – infuriating and yet spectacular.

When he left to join MU I was upset but by then we had Charlie George and Big Raddy and had won the Double. It hurt as much as when Kolo went North.

Of course, as George was an ex-Gunner I followed his career and was delighted when he made a success of his first management job at “No-one likes us, we don’t care” Millwall. However, his management style was such a change from his playing – suddenly, the effete, artistic, Stroller had become a Sergeant Major. Gone were the King’s Rd dolly birds and the expensive suits, in their place was the 3 button Blazer and a club tie. Taking Millwall from the bottom of the then 3rd Division to the top of the Second in just 3 seasons, George was a manager to watch.

Then came the surprising news that Don Howe was to be replaced by GG!!  I was delighted to have another Arsenal man at the helm. The League Cup followed in his first season, then Anfield ´89, and the FA Cup,  and the one-loss Champions of ’91, and perhaps his greatest achievement, the classic 1-0 in Copenhagen.

GG brought all this to the Arsenal and yet we were greedy. We wanted to see the expansive football which he first brought to AFC. We were sick of seeing a midfield of shire-horses punting the ball up to the genius of Ian Wright; the time was ripe for change and when it came it was to be shocking. As shocking as anything I can remember in football. As the news leaked of the Bung Scandal, we couldn’t believe it – “Not our George. not The Stroller,. He doesn’t need the money living in his beautiful Hampstead mansion”. But we were wrong, you could take the man out of the Gorbals but not the Gorbals out of the man.  I am still in shock!

But on the terraces of the Clock End we were excited, we knew Arsenal had to move on and we knew that if George went “upstairs” his shadow would affect any new manager. This was the best for the future of the club –  certainly not for George but no-one made him dip his beak.

I was delighted to see George on the pitch for the 125th Anniversary. He is a huge part of Arsenal’s history and despite him tarnishing the reputation of the club, he remains an Arsenal great. Had he not been so bloody stupid there would be a statue of GG outside the Emirates. But he was, and despite 230 games as a player and 460+ games as manager, he remains a peripheral figure at Arsenal.

George Graham remains a massive Arsenal fan with a huge collection of Arsenal memorabilia. Let us not forget that this is a man who had a cannon mosaic in his garden whilst managing Spurs.

To me George Graham will always be the man who scored that goal against United, for that and 26/5/1989, I am eternally grateful.

112 Responses to George Graham: A personal Retrospective.

Peaches. No, you can’t!

2. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Fantastic read that Randy.

I didn’t know that about GG attending the 125th….back from exile then..?? Good.

I agree re the statue. Legend just as a manager (in my memory*) but then you throw in 230 appearances and important goals, and there’s absolutely no question.

* As I’m a lot younger than all of you…bar OzG I reckon.

SSG. And Irish and GIE and Rurp and Peaches ++++ :-)

4. TotalArsenal says:

Hi BR, what a warm and beautifully written post! :) Really enjoyed it!

5. TotalArsenal says:

And TA, thank you v much! (only by three months though)

6. GunnerPete says:

At last another Gunner who remembers the facts about our best manager GG. Always remember..George was the one who got caught (many others inc Cloughie & Venners had good lawyers) but only after he had told the club about the money he received and after he gave the money back! AFC always take the high ground and although most of the directors and chairmen of the past 50 years would not stand such scrutiny of where and how they achieved there assets , George was left high and dry.

If he had been allowed to stay, I have no doubts that his teams would have gone down in this countries history as one of the top four alongside Madrid and Barca. As it is Manure filled the gap left by AFC after Georges defence retired and left Arsene exposed as a great attacker without a defence so a loser.

SO COME BACK GEORGE AS OUR DEFENSIVE COACH AND CHIEF SCOUT FOR UK PLAYERS.

7. Red Arse says:

Excellento, Big Randy, :-)

I love Posts like that to fill me in on an era and events I am sketchy on!

The one item I think he should always be remembered for is that as a Gooner, he went to Utd, as you say, after his Arsenal career had come to an end, and managed to get YooNited relegated to the ‘old’ Division Two. Class! :-)

8. Red Arse says:

Hi TA, :-)

Why did you thank yourself at 9:51? :)

9. Red Arse says:

Hi Glic, Itour, Stig, :-)

You asked me a question last night, for which I owe you an answer.

“Redders, I once asked (you), ” am I being too gullible, taking UEFA`s word and to expect FFP to work ? “, you replied , ” yes ! “.
    My new question to you is, What has made you change your opinion ?”

My answer “yes” was for one part of a three part question! :-)

My change of attitude was in response to an article I read, about a month ago, that UEFA had removed the ‘enforcement’ from their own lackeys, and had already commissioned an independent panel of accountants and lawyers to ensure that in future clubs kept to the FFP rules.

The article went further and reported that this independent panel were already working on deciding whether or not the Citeh/Abu Dhabi/Etiad ‘commercial’ deal was compliant within the terms of FFP.

Fingers crossed they are making all the right noises. :-)

10. Gooner In Exile says:

Nice post Raddy about the man who embodied the class of the club during my formative years. Players turning up in club suits to every game, everyone wearing the same sleeves (choice of captain for short or long)….and then he let us down. We went from a high scoring entertaining side to a more functional midfield….and then the brown envelope.

The attacking football he gave us in the early years had sadly disappeared into a midfield of Selley, Hillier, Jensen. Oh the pain of defending that team to rival fans as the ball sailed from Seaman’s boot to the edge of the opponents penalty box (and once he even hit the cross bar which resulted in the North Bank urging Shhhhoooooott every time Dave had the ball).

Gunner Pete what was the Invincibles defence?

11. dandan says:

Memories of some great times BR. and I can understand your point of view.
    But for me 1 – 0 to the Arsenal, they shall not pass, 11 dustbins in the right place, “sod the spectacle”, sum up GG. But worse in the final analysis he besmirched the name of a great club, he was lazy as a player, a bully as a manager and when tempted was found wanting. Not fit to lace the boots of AW and certainly not needed on coaching staff.
    Sorry Mate I shall now put my helmet on and retire to the shelter. Before Dads Army comes for me. :-)

12. Red Arse says:

Hi Dandan, :-)

I rather liked George, in as much as you can judge from a public persona, brown bags aside. :-)

But from my very limited knowledge I could not and would not disagree with what you have written.

For balance I would say he also had Rocky Rocastle, Micky Thomas, Alan Smith, Paul Merson and of course the great defensive line in Tony Adams, Dixon, Bould, Winterburn and Seaman. Not bad.

And who could forget the 88/89 league champions win at Liverpool?

A naughty man, but a very good manager too, tho’ what I remember/saw of the style of play it was pretty dour.

13. goonermichael says:

Great post Raddy. GG got caught and clough died before they got him. I imagine there were a lot more. Give me Arsene though. We’ve won things in style. Whether he ever will again remains to be seen though.

14. Double98 says:

I love to imagine what a bung free Graham would have done for the club – would Alex Ferguson have had such success? would we have won more or less.

For the younger Gooner – The difference between Wenger and Graham is this

Wenger is a father figure and a visionary, he brings people along with his passion for the aesthetic and his total football philosophy, his squad love him. He rewards you with bumper contracts and his force of personality compels you to follow him.

Graham on the other hand is more, how do you say, old testament – you do what he says even if you need to develop an alcohol/gambling/cocaine adiction to square that circle. You do not want to see his passion. He will coerce you into signing contracts for less than you were on and his scarey ass eyes compel you to follow him.

I miss George sometimes – i really think he’d make a contribution to the club.

15. Oh no, I’ve just realised that tomorrow is the 26th May and the anniversary of one of the greatest nights in our history so far …….. sorry Raddy, I probably should have kept this one quiet for a while :oops:

16. Gooner In Exile says:

I have to say that GG is not the only man to blame for the style of football we started to play towards the end of his reign. There were many others adopting a similar approach at the time. Some like Stoke still do it but now they are a rarity rather than the norm.

Nice work Raddy. Thanks.
    There is no doubt that GG engineered the greatest moment in my life that night at Anfield. As a man, I simply never warmed to him, and I gather he was his usual dour self on the return coach journey that night, but I still have every newspaper from May 27 ’89, and it is not the picture of the Mickey celebration that sticks the most in my mind, it’s the one of George coming back in to the tunnel holding the trophy with the “This is Anfield” sign above his head. He, at last, has a grin on his face.

Bad day to do a post Raddy. Its stonking here and everyone I know in the private sector has gone “sod it, off to the beach”. I’m sure those in the Public Sector are “out”, but paid, on health and safety grounds :-)

19. 26may1989 says:

Thanks Raddy – Graham’s playing career came just before my sentient time as an Arsenal fan (I started off with Supermac, Chippy, Rix, Jennings, Big Willie etc), but it’s always interesting to read about his character and playing style, which contrasted so markedly with the manager he became.

I have very mixed views on Graham as a manager. Having suffered in our inferiority complex period (Neill and Howe) in my formative years of going to Highbury (1980 onwards), his arrival was fantastic: the League Cup Final of 1987 was one of the most magical of footballing experiences, and then two years later to be slugging it out with the mighty Liverpool for the title, that was beyond my wildest dereams (my username being in homage). Having thought the title itself had been thrown away, and then to triumph against all the odds and so dramatically, well that was beyond perfection. It was a pity we didn’t win the title in 1990 but Graham’s greatest achievement was the 1991 title win: no questions this time, we were supreme. “Stick your two points up your…” A season record of P38 W24 D13 L1 F74 A18 GD+56 Pts83 bears testimony to both our attacking prowess and our defensive solidity. (The lone defeat, as many will remember, came in a 2-1 defeat at a midtable side called Chelsea…)

But after that, it all went wrong. Rocastle and Thomas were soon moved on, and the genius of Ian Wright was used as a justification to de-midfield-ise our tactical approach. We saw the likes of Carter, Kiwomya, Morrow, Hillier, Jensen, Lydersen, Pates and McGoldrick promoted or bought (yes, we catually paid money for these players, and some of it, so it turned out, to Graham himself). The quality of play, and league success, failed; we became a bunch of cup-game ambush-artists, but were falling further and further behind where it really mattered.

I know we won some cups in the years that followed, I went to several of those finals. But it was anti-football at its worst. George Graham’s natural successor is Tony Pulis, that’s how bad it was. I’m just sorry Graham was sacked for having his fingers in the till, and not for what we did to the team. The season Graham was sacked was the worst of it, when we finished 12th and just six points above the relegation zone. True, we did get the ECWC Final but then there was Nayim from the halfway line…..

Was Graham a genius? I don’t think so. He was very good, and had the advantage of a definite philosophy and style. But he was also lucky to arrive at Arsenal at a time when an extraordinary generation of players came through to the first team (Adams, Keown, Merson, Rocastle, Thomas, Parlour), plus there were a few older heads to rely on (O’Leary, Davis). The creation of THAT defence, including Seaman, was his crowning glory, a true work of footballing art, and he supplemented that with Limpar and Smith, even Richardson and Groves. But the fact is Graham failed in his second phase at Arsenal, at a stage when I believe we really could have pushed on and enjoyed a sustained period at the top of the English game. And what did Graham do after he left us? Failed at Spurs and failed at Leeds.

No, he’s not a genius. But despite my bitterness at what happened between 1991 and 1995, I’ll always be grateful for what he did before that, in leading us out of perpetual mediocrity and showing us that we could aim for the top.

26,
    Do you remember the detail from memory, such as finishing 12th and six points above the relegation zone? Unbelievable :-)
    You did forget Paul Davis though. GG did show one momentous piece of tactical brilliance. Anfield ’89, and when the team sheet appeared, there would not have been a single fan anywhere that would have guessed he would play with the back four and O’Leary just in front of them.

26,
    Don’t you think that maybe GG’s failure towards the end of his time with us, and then at Spurs and Leeds as you rightly say, was that he simply got left behind. This was a time when the so called foreign invasion began, new diets, training techniques and so on, and George simply refused to budge from the work ethic/disciplinarian type of approach?

BR
    Fine piece – thank you.
    I have plenty to say but 26 has just said it all at 1.47pm :)
    I can’t add anything to that! GG’s Arsenal managerial career was a game of two halves. First half brilliant, second half deadly dull. I do also feel that most (if not all) the managers were “at it” back in the ’80s as far as bungs were concerned. It’s a little unfair on GG that he was the only one punished, but then, to use your wonderful phrase “no-one made him dip his beak.”

Didit Major… pay attention at the back of the class or I’ll have to throw the blackboard rubber at you!
    Contrary to your assertion, M’Learned Friend, Mr 26, did indeed refer to Paul Davis in his 1.47pm: “plus there were a few older heads to rely on (O’Leary, Davis).”

There’s stuff on the interwebthingy about Clint Dempsey again.
    Given Kelsey’s previous information about our interest in him (Kelsey, Kelsey, wherefore art thou Kelsey?) I wonder whether people feel he is someone we would want.
    All I really know about him is his goalscoring record, which seems very good.
    But I have no idea what sort of MF position he plays.
    If anyone has seen a bit more of him and can illuminate me I would be grateful…

Oh my bad Rocky :-)
    By the way, I was DidIt Minor!
    Talking of the Interwebby, I scooted on over to Transfer Gossip on Sky, and they have us making a bid for Montpellier’s Giroud, which would be good news in my book.

25. 26may1989 says:

Wotcha micky. Re the 12th and six points thing, believe it or not, I’ve had the Graham-good-or-bad debate a few times before, and reminding others quite how low we sank is useful! We also finished 10th in 1993.

Off topic, I went to see Duke Special at the Union Chapel on Upper Street last night – bloody excellent stuff.

26. 26may1989 says:

Real shame to see that John Ruddy has had to drop out of the England squad, he’s been impressive this season and even assuming as third choice GK he wouldn’t have got a game, it would have been great for him to be there.

27. Red Arse says:

Hi Rocky, :-)

Excellent chastisement of Diditminor! :-)

Altho’ it is interesting that you said;
    “If anyone has seen a bit more of him and can illuminate me I would be grateful…”

A very nice non sequitur, if ever I saw one; unless, of course, you felt that if ‘anyone’ was using a torch to see more of Dempsey skulking around in the dark, they could light you up as well?
    Anyway, if so, what were you doing skulking around in the dark yourself?

Mischief? :-)

Here’s an idea. Just to help coordinate conversation during sizzling weather, it should be meet on the hour only. Cool breaks or something. Just like GiE and I meet outside for a fag at half times.

29. dandan says:

Hi Rocky. Kelsey is very proud of this blog that he. Rasp, Peaches BR and a couple of other like minded individuals set up, due he tells me to the tone of the blogging going downhill both in language and content on the site they all used and had become friends on.

Recent interaction he feels on here have moved some way in the same direction and rather than get involved in personal arguements, he has decided to take a rest.

Hopefully the collective will of the blog will stop that from happening and Kelsey who loves his blogging will return to enlighten us all again in the near future.

Hope so dandan. Kelsey always has interesting insights.

Redders :)
    Sadly I am in the dark, as usual. And still no-one has cast their flashlight (as I believe you Americanos like to call them) on me as regards Mr Dempsey. :(

DiditMinor… I feel sure you have become a Didit Major by now, or else your own progeny will be Didit Minimuses (Minimi?)

31. glic says:

Very busy, 17m2 dry stone wall to build.
    Fine post, $troller was one of my favourite players , luv him !.

Redders , Thanks for the reply. I take a lot on board with most on here, but especially your comments. I take what UEFA want to do as Gospel and I`m confident they will police it and the league will be a fairer place. So to hear people like 26 and yourself give It the thumbs up makes me more confident.
    I know Terry also says It will work, but him like me Is not the full ticket !. :lol:

ps, Just kidding Terry, like Redders you are extremely smart and funny, still mad though ! . :lol:

GLIC
    Are you actually building it from scratch, or repairing it.

I love a bit of dry stone wall me.

DiditMaximus
    You’re a bit of a sage when it comes to the French league. What can you tell us about Giroud? What position does he play? Who’s he like?

34. jnyc says:

i learn so much from u guys. You dont just give the history, But also the flavor and feeling of it. Thanks!

35. glic says:

Rock Star

From scratch, I`m putting the mortar behind so it still looks dry,but it wont going anywhere. With hindsight , I should have got the more expensive stone, which is easier to work with, It`s easy to split, whereas the stone I`ve got is quite brittle and fractures into bits, a lot harder to work with, but hey I`m getting there, I`m putting in an old granite post on It`s side as a seat, should look sweet !.

DD;

I somewhat agree with Kelsey’s stance about the tone of the site, but perhaps for different reasons. I happen to have a very thick skin and am able to ignore the clannish manner of several posters and I make a point of not reading either their posts or their comments.

They happen to think they are “smart” or protective of their mates – to me they are simply juvenile.

I read every day, comment infrequently and post only occasionally, however the reason I am here every day is due to the outstanding work of Peaches and Rasp.

To have someone like Kelsey suspend his involvement in the site should be an eye opener to those that caused him to make that decision.

37. glic says:

Lets be honest . Kelseys remarks were made at me and possibly a couple of others.
    A eye opener GN5 !, Smart !, Juvenile !,. I make some serious comments but If I`m accused of being someone who likes to break It up a bit sometimes with some lighthearted stuff, then I`m guilty . I dont take myself too serious and maybe others shouldn`t too, maybe they should get a sense of humour, lifes too short to be miserable and maybe they should look in the mirror and think, ” I`m too old to be chucking my dolly out of the pram “.
    I look at all comments, I dont pick and choose, I `m not into snobbery. Yes I even read yours !.

Oh dear , did I chuck my dolly out of the pram ! :lol:

GLIC;

I don’t remember the authors but gutter humour belongs in the gutter – not on AA.

Having been born on Avenell Road in 1937 – our house had no electricity,no bathroom, one toilet for two families, and one faucet in the basement scullery.- I could never be accused of either a prude or a snob,

You seem to have a nice life down there in the land of the piskies GLiC.

No-one else seems to want to answer my question about Dempsey. have you seen much of him?

If I started this by wondering where Kelsey was I apologise…

…but (echoing a request from Peaches some while back) can we leave the navel gazing off the site?

It was boring the first time.

RL;

Site policemen are also boring………………………

Whatever

43. 26may1989 says:

I spent two years of my childhood living in Cornwall (had a hippy mum who was into that sort of thing). The toilet was was an out-house with a cesspit, and the bath was a tin job that was filled in the kitchen once a week.

Oh, and GN5 is probably the only AAer born nearer the ground than me (Liverpool Road).

Are GN5 and I related???

44. glic says:

So GN5, I`ve got you calling It “gutter” humour, Kelsey calling It “toilet” humour, Raddy said it was ” rubbish” humour. So thats 3 different types of humour, anymore ?. I can see one thing that stands out, the word , HUMOUR !.
    Unbelievable that with all the troubles in the world, someone can get slated for having one. Some people need to get a life or a sense of humour !. Sad. :(

45. glic says:

Rocky
    I wont complain about my lifestyle, I`m very lucky. :)

46. glic says:

I bet that was a laugh, having a toilet like that, some farms In Cornwall still have the same !

Or maybe It wasn`t a laugh, `coz it could be classed as toilet humour !
    What next, someone peeing in the gutter and someone having a dump on a rubbish heap ! :)

Rocky,
    No expert on French Football. I did take a particular interest towards the end of this season. Two reasons. I wanted someone to beat PSG, and second, I kept reading about players who I thought would be a good fit for us. As for Giroud, he is a very aggressive type of centre forward, quick, good in the air with a great shot. Top scorer this season, I think. He is, to my mind, what Chamakh was meant to be. Maybe a simple mix up :-)

26M,

Both sides of my family were born and bred in Highbury, around 20/25 of the male members would gather under the clock for every home game, I also went to every reserve game.

49. 26may1989 says:

GLIC: I remember those years very fondly, I had a great time mucking around with all the farm kids in the area, we just got to run wild. It was near Portreath, if you know it.

I remember a whale got beached nearby, and I recall, as a 4 year old, wondering around its body, before it was buried there. Just one of those very strong childhood memories.

There was one terrible memory though: we had a serious car accident, in which my brother almost died.

50. 26may1989 says:

GN5, I can’t trump that: I may have been born in the area but my family are all out of towners.

Every reserve game though, that’s some commitment. During the time I came to hate what George Graham was doing, I decided to boycott first team games and only went to reserve games. For a couple of seasons, I wrote match reports on them for The Gooner.

26,
    Plenty of hippy types around here as well. Like me mate “Charcoal Pete”. Arrived 20 yrs ago in his bus. Parked up in a bit of woodland. Broke down. Still there. I wouldn’t buy charcoal from anyone else.

Okedoke,
    Cooled down. Off out again.

I was born south of the river, but my 19-year-old son (who is currently using my season ticket) was born in Highbury and is very proud of the fact.
    Well, he was actually born at UCH, but we were living in Highbury at the time…

Micky
    Thanks for the reply about Giroud. So, presumably, with Podolski already acquired, we would only be going for Giroud if we needed a goal scoring centre forward? Oh dear…

54. 26may1989 says:

Micky, for a man who smokes a lot of food, that is some commendation for Charcoal Pete.

I do miss some of that hippy stuff, it was great when we were kids. We had a year in Spain as well as the two in Cornwall. There was just so much freedom (not for everyone in Spain mind, Franco and the Guarda Civil saw to that). But for us lot, we just had a fab time. I love my home comforts a bit too much now, but I do wonder if my kids are missing out on something I loved.

55. 26may1989 says:

UCH? Rocky, you make sure that boy gets his facts straight! Born in Highbury indeed…. :)

Just a legal technicality 26 (ahem)

I think I want a combination of Micky’s life, GLiC’s life and your childhood…

57. glic says:

Yes 26, know it well. My job takes me to all the beaches and beauty spots of Cornwall and South and East Devon, the moors etc`, It`s like being paid to have a Holiday. Today I was in Lyme Regis, Branscombe, Torbay, Spreyton, tomorrow I will be In Charlestown ( the tall ships look spectacular, have a look on google images ), Lanhydrock and Bude, then back to sort some stone out .

26M,

The elder members in my family raved about Chapman and my Dad insisted that he was our best ever manager. I missed him but I’ve witnessed every manager since George Allison and IMLTHO Arsene trumps them all. I had no time for GG’s tactics or his ethics – but 1989 is simply unforgettable.

59. glic says:

Sugar, I`m out to water the plants, they are thirsty !.

60. neamman says:

I was there!!! You described it pretty well spot on as my memory recalls. I thought Stroller was a class player.. well worth the cash and Tommy Baldwin [not a bad player in his own right that we paid to Chelsea. I remember he scored on his debut [against Everton?] and he was certainly one of the best headers of a ball I have seen.
    I remember people speculating whether GG didnt like Colin Addison as his passes to him never clicked when compared to his passes to Radford.
    As we are in memory lane did you remember the overhead kick David Court scored around the same time.

61. neamman says:

My birth certificate says Highbury and Islington, but I was born in Kentish Town.

hello neamman
    I once saw a compilation of GG headed goals and goal attempts. I’m not sure i’ve ever seen anyone better in the air.

Superb post, BR.
    As you’ve said, George will always be loved for his time at Arsenal.

George and the Clock End.

Watch at 1:29. A finer header you never will see.

George in ‘501 Arsenal Goals

Haha, look at the snow. The Arse playing in red? shorts because of the snow

Big Raddy strutting his stuff, Bob Wilson taking the piss out of Best and George with a great glancing header.

George at 125th celebrations at 5:00
    Love the cannon at the side of the pitch!

Great stuff Chas

70. TotalArsenal says:

Re dandan@5.43

Kelsey come back and GLiC make sure you stay. :) :)

Kelsey and GLiC both enrich ArsenalArsenal and belong to my favourite bloggers on here.

As long as GLiC’s humour is not of a discriminatory/insulting nature, it is my view that he should be allowed to post his comments. Some of us find them funny, some of us don’t. If you don’t like it, just don’t read his comments, or those of anybody else who you do not approve of. It really is that simple.

We have almost three months to go till the season starts again, and with the best will of the world, we will not be able to speak about football all the time. What I like of AA is its diversity in views, thought-provoking posts, intelligent debate, and its ability to have entertaining blog-conversations about non-football related diversions. I hope we are not going to lose that, as variety is the spice of life, although it comes at a small price.

So please, let’s be more tolerant, and a bit less puritanical towards each other.

71. oz gunner says:

@ BR

great idea for a post, like RA I like looking back through different Era’s, especially those I wasn’t around for.

@ GLIC

gutter, toilet, rubbish…no way, I call it brilliant! I’ve lost count at how many times your comments have left me with tears strolling down my face. As TA has said, 3 months left and it’s going to be nail biting for all of us. A bit of humour makes it a lot easier to get through.

72. oz gunner says:

Rocky, Micky and my scouting report mid-season pulled up Giroud. He is a great player. Linked with Bayern but they already have Gomez who is very similar. We need that plan B player because Bendtner and Chamma didn’t turn out. Lille won the title and we poached Gervinho, mont win the title and we poach him…sounds fair!

Thanks Oz
    He looks great in that compilation and clearly has a shot on him, unlike the Chamster.
    He’s very left footed – and given that Podolski is left footed (I think) it makes me doubt that we are really in for him, but you never know.

Thanks for that Raddy. You have invoked emotions in me that i have tried to surpress for the last 15 years. On contemplation i am no longer undecided about GG. He personaly gave to me the greatest football memories any one can have, Userping the scouse monopply and winning the league in such an aggresive way that all previous years dissapointments evaporated to dust. Ok, he dismerbered the midfield and replaced it with dross, played rubbish football after 92, and commited the cardinal sin of joining the fools. For 89 i forgive him his sins. GG, your a jekyl and and Hide, and i hate i love you at the same time, but you resurected the club, so i love you all the same. Sinner or Saint?, it dosnt matter any more. George Graham, you are an Arsenal Legend.

As for the earlier debate, i am not ashamed to stick up for my mate Cornwall. Hes my favourite poster, apart from myself hahaha. Any one that meets him will realise hes a top geezer. Hes proper East End. Ok, we may sail a little bit close to the wind, but humour is part and parcel of people from that backround, and that, despite what any body says will continue.

75. Gooner In Exile says:

I don’t want to get dragged in to the humour debate as others have said it’s personal taste. But I’d ask those who post to consider being more Frankie Howerd than Roy Chubby Brown. That should save too much upset. For the record I’m not offended but I listen to Bill Hicks so it would take a lot, but I wouldn’t listen to Bill Hicks with my mum and dad, I do listen to I’m Sorry I Haven’t A Clue with them though…..

No one wants to start censoring/moderating the site heavily. And no one should want anyone else to stop visiting or commenting because of what they are posting.

Very Happy May 26 everyone.

Rocky/Oz,
    This is the man we really want. Also from Montpellier. 23 yrs, AM with 12 league goals last season. Monsieur Belhanda:

78. Gooner In Exile says:

Dempsey on his way?

“I am grateful for everything Fulham have done for me, some of the best memories I have in soccer have been there, but the fact remains that I want to play in Champions League. I want to play at the highest level possible,”

79. Gooner In Exile says:

If Dave Whelan was my friend I certainly wouldn’t tell him any secrets, the blokes a walking gossip column!

Firstly telling us Martinez offered Pool job and discussing all the flirtation, then Fergie going to retire in 12 months, what next?

80. oz gunner says:

Micky i’m not picky i’ll have both thanks!

On Censorship:
    Look lads, everyone wants the GliC here with his football input, stories and his humour, but, anyone who thinks upsetting the site founders and those who manage the site on a daily basis is a good idea are plain wrong.
    Check out LeGrove if you don’t believe in moderation. I censor my children every day and rightly so. If AA doesn’t want willy type humour, then drop it. It’s so simple. Real life DidIt swears like a trooper, and I used to on LeGrove, but not here. Horses for courses and above all Respect for those that put in the hours to make this site possible for us all.

Hi Oz,
    As Rocky says, Giroud AND Poldolski surely spells the end of Robin don’t you think?

Does anyone know for sure what wages Chamakh is on?

GiE,
    I’m sure Kelsey said Dempsey does not want to join The Gunners.

85. Gooner In Exile says:

Micky you should be looking closer to home:

Most unfair GiE,
    Noone has pushed harder than me for Ox to be our long term AM. If that is AW’s plan,and starting next season, then absolutely we don’t need Belhanda.

87. Gooner In Exile says:

I thought Kelsey said Dempsey wasn’t fussed either way. Seems like he is ready to leave Fulham anyway, and as he has stated CL football the alternatives are limited.

As I said yesterday during a cooling down moment, I went over to the transfer gossip bit of Sky. If true, some unbelievably bad political manoevering from Mr Vertonghen. “I really want to join Spurs, but if not, then Arsenal will be second choice” kind of talk.
    Mmmmm Mr V, that’ll set you up really well in Goonerdom!

GiE,
    In short, if AW plans to play Ox as AM, and we keep Robin, then I’d be very happy with the addition of just one more player. A world class DM.

90. Gooner In Exile says:

:D Micky I know I know.

I agree, his strength is what sets him apart from a lot of our other technical/flair players of the last few years.

He reminds me of Rooney (on pitch) thankfully judging by interviews he is more cerebral off it.

91. Gooner In Exile says:

Micky Mr Vertognhen has clearly not spoken with TV5 about how to endear himself to Arsenal fans when he realised that Spuds were not in CL.

GiE,
    Spot on. The Ox has everything needed to be the modern day AM. Strength, speed, vision, aggression and shot. He would need a very powerful pair behind him, hence my call for a specialist DM.

Top this Chas.
    Cool as it is scary.

94. dandan says:

Mickey @:6;45 Thanks for that clear and reasonable post. I had no intention of starting a war, when I gave my earlier straight answer to Rockys Question.

Happy 26th May, Gooners of the world.

96. Red Arse says:

Morning Guys, :-)

I think the mature, sensible and intelligent, non-judgemental comments of TA at 12:04 a.m, and Micky at 6:45 a.m. says everything that needs to be said on the subject of humour.

I am a little uncomfortable discussing a specific individual, but it should not be forgotten, that if the catalyst for this is Glic, he has since modified his humour and complied with Peaches’ original request for him to do so.

That still leaves a wide array of humour for someone like him to amuse us, as he is a natural comedian who first practises his jokes on stone walls!!! :-)

97. oz gunner says:

@ Micky

Unfortunately if we did i think it would be the end of RVP, and as much as i want giroud at Arsenal i don’t ever want to see RVP go!!!

Vertonghen needs his head checked out i think. But if Arsenal came knocking he wouldn’t make such ridiculous statements so we clearly haven’t inquired about him

You some it up perfectly at 6.35. It makes sense because i swear non-stop around my mates yet i tone it down around others. I’ll just keep my two cents to myself though because I enjoy everyone’s comments, I love the work of the behind the scenes crew, and i believe GLIC would be a top top bloke. Can’t we all just get along?

That works Chas :-)
    Are we having a 26th styley post, or can we pop up the Mickey goal now. I can’t wait much longer and won’t be around at post up time.

99. Go on then put it up, if it’s a good one I’ll add it to the new post …….

100. evonne says:

Happy 26th May Chas :)

I love the dialogue in this.

102. Red Arse says:

They all look so young — unsurprising — and so skinny — not as I remember them!! :-)

The voice overs are ace!! :-)

“You watch, theyl go straight up the other end and score now. You see if they dont” hahahahaha

One minute, one minute one minute…… one minute….. one minute. hahahahaha

104. Thanks chas, I’m pinching that one for the new post :)

105. I’m sure we all know someone that watches football like that but you have to love them ;)

Peaches, for some reason that guy reminds me of Rasp. hahaha

107. New Post …………………

108. the article posted in this site is informative, the blog appears great

109. thanks for sharing valuable information with us

110. I am genuinely thankful to the owner of this site who has shared this wonderful paragraph
    at at this time.

111. website says:

It’s rather a great along with very helpful little bit of information and facts. We’re satisfied that you choose to distributed this useful details about. You need to stop us updated like this. Many thanks expressing.