Van Persie, Van Mystery

I am not unrealistic.

I certainly never assumed RVP would extend his contract with us. At best, I thought we had a chance, but with the odds and the world against us slightly. I was sure though, that if our captain left us, it would be in a respectful way, and his legacy with true fans would be a good one, because we really do appreciate our great players and what they have done for us. In this case, we have been blessed with a sublime performance for almost two seasons, and led back into an all important champions league spot.

I say his legacy would be intact, because, like most thoughtful people, true fans try to consider the decision he has to make, all the options he needs to weigh. I have already heard many Gunners express their understanding that he wants to be at a competitive club, with a chance of trophies, especially entering into his last big contract. Many even understanding that he should not have to ignore superior financial offers, no matter where they come from.

But, some things have occurred recently that just don’t seem to add up. I am aware that so much is rumour, speculation, and many, simply lies.

Maybe some disinformation? This is what is giving me some hope after a doom filled week on the subject of Robin’s future.

You see, I also understand the many reasons that he might want or need to leave us. But some of the reports we are getting just don’t add up, at least with the people we know that are involved. We heard about a very important meeting to take place with Robin, Arsène, and Ivan. I hope no one expected smiling and handshakes as they all emerged from the house. But, we might have expected a positive, hopeful, or respectful statement crafted by public relations people at Arsenal, to try and ease our worries, and/or pain.

Instead, all we received was silence, and ugly stories of a cold confrontation with specific numbers thrown around, as if there were reporters in the room.  Now, if that were the case, and if indeed it is true, that’s just the sad truth about modern football and economics. And we will all have to be mature and accept it. Our club will have to make the best deal they can to improve our situation if we can’t go forward with our season saving leader.

But, as I said, there are things that just don’t make much sense, according to what we know about the parties involved. Do we really think that Wenger and Gazidis walked in and insulted Robin with a shockingly low offer? You know that through back channels, all parties had a general idea of what was coming and expected. Do we really believe that Van Persie basically demanded the huge numbers being thrown around in the media, and that everything fell apart immediately?

Of course that’s all possible.  It seems the way the sport is going, and the plight Gunners seem destined to endure from now on.

But I choose to be skeptical of most of these negative reports. Firstly, of course, because I don’t want it to be true. But more importantly, something just doesn’t seem right at all. The stories were so numerous and negative, it almost felt like a punch in the stomach. The feeling you get when you have been betrayed by a friend. I’m not comparing the possible situation to betrayal, just personalizing the feeling of when someone that you think you know fairly well, really smacks you with something you never expected. By that, I’m referring to stories of a tense meeting, with large salary demands,and the club saying “take it or you’re staying for another year anyway”.

It’s a little hard to fathom because of the obvious respect and affection Arsène and Robin have built over the years. This includes sticking with him through many injuries, and the faith that Wenger has shown in him, and of course the skills he has helped him develop in a system that contributed to him becoming the player of the year, not to mention fair wages for most of the years.

Instead, my view is this :

1 Robin van Persie is not completely motivated by money ( of course it’s a big issue, but not the only one )

2 The numbers are not as far apart as reported by the media, or leaked by rivals trying to sow discontent. Especially when you add the loyalty bonuses into the weekly wages, making the disparity smaller. Also the fact that the club owns the player for another full year, in which he would stay on his smaller salary, no loyalty bonus, and threat of injury which could hurt his value going into his last lucrative contract later. Although I doubt it was threatened in a sinister manner.

3 Robin made plain his demand for serious improvements to the squad, as well as retaining with raises, Song and Walcott, who he constantly praises, especially regarding their assists.

The club laid out some details on plans for improvements to the squad, and asked for some time to accomplish some signings other than Podolski, which is a good start. Time will be needed to unload some contracts also.

5 Mutual agreement not to talk to the press, to facilitate and protect deals in the works. In, or out.

6 Lastly, I just can’t see RVP demanding a salary so large from any team, that would really weaken the amount of any transfer fee that we could receive. That would be a little disloyal, and would also be a dis-incentive to sell him now, if that really is his preference.

So, with all the mysterious silence, and all the rumours, where will the truth end up?

As always, probably somewhere in between… But I hope for all of us, it’s closer to my bright estimation.

Written by JNYC

148 Responses to Van Persie, Van Mystery

1. Jay says:

good post,unfortunately we will have to wait until after the Euros till we find out whether he will stay .This is of course after we have all stumped up for our season tickets.If he goes we know that the club will not buy anyone remotely in his class.

2. oyas says:

wel don R.v.p. We dnt need batman,we’ve got robbin.plz stay

3. TotalArsenal says:

Hi Johnnie, thanks for a well-written and sensible post. :)

As we just don’t know what has been discussed at Arsene’s house, it is very hard to pull any conclusions. The fact both ‘parties’ are not talking to the media is positive for me, as it makes me believe that negotiations are not that far from being concluded, but it is more based on gut-feeling than anything else.

Holland played a friendly yesterday against Bayern Munich but RvP did not play at all and it makes me think that he has asked for some time to think things through / talk to other parties in order to make his mind up.

I expect an announcement before Friday, and I think it will be what we all want to hear. :)

4. Timmy says:

What is particularly disheartening is seeing fans that watched him play, sang is praise, watched his pictures (particularly those he’s found with the manager brimming with warmth and cordiality towards him), heard him sing the praise of the club, are the ones now believing the doom/gloom writers than the club, Arsene and even the man in spotlight himself. what a shame.

I thought this is where fan support should start, but unfortunately it’s looking like this is where it ends.

Anyway, I’ll sit on my watch, keeping my hopes intact and believing that come the end of season 2012/2013, Arsenal will go all the way, defile all odds and define what it means to be a model of how life should be lived with high moral and ethical principles within the ambit of superlative trophy collections.

5. Okpara,Ndubueze says:

Rvp deserves d best frm arsenal management 2 enables his stay 2 our darling club beyond 2013,considering hw he single handedly projected us bk 2 d big 4 despite al ups n down during d course of d campaign last season,as such,wenger Gazadis n Hill wood must rally round 2 save his glaring future ahead of nxt season,i dnt kia woteva it tkes 2 do dis cos he deserves simply d best QED!

Hi Timmy and welcome.

Those are sentiments most of us share with you. The column of pictures to the right of this page graphically illustrate what a superb servant RvP has been to the club this season. Let’s all hope that not only does he choose to stay, but that he is rewarded with the trophies a player of his calibre deserves.

7. Timmy says:

Hi Rasp,

Only two sites I’ve found, that speaks my mind, shares my views and hold at lofty heights what I think Arsenal stand for: that we will not be stampeded into crass mentality of success. This site holds out for one and the other is ‘Untold’.

Thanks for the welcoming

Thanks JNYC for a view on van Persie’s future from across the pond.

I don’t know anyone who wants to see him go, I’d be happy to pay him £150k a week if the wage bill can be balanced by the exodus predicted in today’s media. As ever, there are some hard facts that have to be considered.

He will be 29 before the start of next season
    There will be a price offered that the club can’t refuse if he definitely wants to go.
    We cannot be sure that he will remain fit and maintain the form of this season.

But we should do all we reasonably can to keep RvP at Arsenal.

It is unlikely be resolved until after the Euros. As far as new players are concerned, I’d also be surprised if many deals were concluded until after the Euros as clubs will want to judge players and players will hope to put in good performances to secure the best possible deal for themselves.

9. Double98 says:

I love RVP – The MVP – I want to say that from the outset

I will also say that i don’t think this is the case but I would be more disappointed if RVP was waiting for Arsenal to prove there ambition than if he just wanted to leave for more money.

What disaffected bubble do players live in that allows them divorce their own failings from the performance of the team and then demand that one of the biggest clubs in the world panders to their ego and buys other players like pets for them.
    If RVP hadnt had legs made from spaghetti until last year then i have no doubt that we would have won a pot or two.
    Infact he got injured scoring in the Carling Cup final against Birmingham and we lost that.
    IIt might not be his fault but it sure as hell isn’t his team mates or a lack of ambition.
    If RVP had of not got sent off against barca then we could have won that game
    If RVP wants to win something at Arsenal then the best thing to do is take the gigantic mind boggling weekly wage on the table and sign up soon so that we can have a full preseason without further speculation.
    Take on the captaincy and lead off the pitch by example.

but if a big offer comes in and he wants to go – then take the money, its a no brainer. I don’t want him haunting the club for a year knowing that his earning potential just took a nose dive as one of his last 3 peak year perfomance levels is being denied him
    Plus given his entire history with arsenal we will be lucky to get 60 – 80 more games out of him so if he wants to go take the money and buy a 24 year old with legs made of less al dente pasta.and for 60 games i really don’t need the hassle of a saga

i hope he stays, i really do but urge you all to not get emotionally involved with this until he decides whether he loves us or not.

10. TotalArsenal says:

Hi Rasp,

Raul will be 35 next months and yet he played 98 games over the last two seasons for Schalke and scored 40 goals. Also have a look at Thierry and VanHorsefacelrooy.

RvP is still young at 28/29: he could be a Gooner till 2018/19 for us.

So, I agree we will need to do what we can to keep him. Around him, we should continue to build our team. It isn’t necessarily his goals we will be missing if he is sold on – Arsenal will always find ways to score a lot of goals- but his leadership skills will be very hard to replace. RvP represents our culture on the pitch so well. Without him, we would start again and we run the risk of being in a perpetual state of transition.

I would be very surprised if Arsene is prepared to let RvP go this season.

11. Relax guys, we have the solution, Heskey is available :)

Nicely done jnyc, I agree with a good deal of what you say and am past the fretting about it stage now.

I am preparing myself to deal with all possible eventualities concerning RvP.

12. DroumgarrGooner says:

The comments are very fair and a little more thought out than most I have seen recently. No one knows what went on/and is going on following the meeting last week. All we have is speculation and conjecture. I would not expect much to come out from either side. Yes there are many hangers on and agents sniffing around to get their 10%, and they are likely to leak things to try and benefit themselves.

Now I know loyalty does not rear its ugly head, very often, when footballers are mentioned, however there just might be a glimmer with RVP. Again this is only conjecture on my part, but when Robin was not long after joining us, he had to spend a period in a Dutch jail for, what turned out to be, false allegations of rape. During that time Arsenal rallied around him and supported him. I would like to think that he has not forgetten this and I am sure he has not. Which reporter has even alluded to loyalty and support given not just while injured but also outside of the game to RVP?

Having said all that who would begrudge him taking some £250k/£300k per week, if a club is prepared to offer it. Very few clubs can afford this sort of amount and again the figures are merely conjecture. What I would say is that would any of us mere mortals turn down a 100% salary rise if they were in the position today to be offered such a rise. I know the answer and it is very very few.

Let RVP make up his mind based upon his family’s needs. He deserves that for the season he has just given the fans.

13. TotalArsenal says:

Timmy, Droumgarr, nice to see you here on AA and with some fine comments. :)

14. TT says:

Here’s my take:

1. Given this is RvP’s big contract decision, it seemed unlikely that he would commit at the end-of-season meeting. This will drag on, unfortunately.

2. ManCity winning the league didn’t help.

3. RvP talking up Theo and Song is a good sign.

5. All the negative talks from ManCity, such as citing RvP injury concerns, are attempts to lower the price.

4. Barcelona have been quiet, but if Villa has further setbacks, will they want RvP as replacement? I think RvP would seriously consider this move.

4. This is a time of temptation for Arsenal as well. What if someone comes with a £50m offer? Would Arsenal sell? How about £70m? £80m? We could do a poll to see where is Arsenal sell point :(

I hope RvP stays, but I think Jens Lehmann talked sense when he encourage fans to have faith in Wenger on this matter. Of course Jens is probably a company man now!

15. mak says:

this is totally funny wen he was not firin not at his best arsenal still kept him now 1 good season and all this transfer n all wer d fuck is loyalty man if arsenal is not competetive club den u r not a fan its simple if he truly believes he will stay if he goes i believe we can produce 10 van persie s and i think we should not keep players who are not loyal simple.

Hi TA, I didn’t say RvP was over the hill at 29, just putting his age into the context of the debate. A 4 year contract at 29 would mean that his sell on value at the end (assuming he or the club wished it) would be substantially lower than if we sold him now.

We must remember that the club played the ‘game’ of bluff over Nasri with all the statements about him going nowhere etc but when a player says he wants to go its just about getting the best price you can.

To keep RvP if he really wants to go would be madness. We would lose his leadership as captain and the motivational skills that have been so influential this season would be replaced by uncertainty and a smouldering resentment.

17. TotalArsenal says:

Hi Rasp, always good to have a bit of debate with you. :)

I know you did not say RvP was over the hill, but you were trying to say something with putting his age in your comment…. ;)

In my view, Nasri’s loss is not comparable with the potential loss of RvP. The impact on our team would be as significant as Cesc’s loss last year. I also think RvP will not even consider going to Citeh, and I don’t think he really wants to leave Arsenal, but if the likes of Barca or Madrid really, really want him, he might consider that.

However, they are unlikely to pay Arsenal enough to consider it – Barca have apparently said he is too expensive and too old – and that’s why he is most likely to stay at Arsenal. It that is against his heart’s desire, then so be it, but I have no doubt he would be totally professional and play with full commitment for us next season. Add to that, that in order to get a lucrative offer, at another top club, he will have to keep performing.

Hi TA, yes we have a lot of good natured fun in our discussions :P

So Barca think he is too old- so my point has validity don’t you think?

Keeping a player who wants away never works. You may get a decent first half of the season out of them, but as we have seen with Cesc, TH, Na$ri and Modric, their performance tails off as their departure nears and the last thing we want is for the end of the season collapse to become a tradition at Arsenal.

19. goonermichael says:

Nothing I’ve read (even th most anti Arsenal and negatve) has suggested to me that he actually wants to go. I think he’ll stay even if it’s just to see out the contract.

Hi gm, you’re correct, the club and RvP are handling the situation with dignity. If RvP had definitely decided to stay, we’d probably know all about it. We have made him an offer apparently so the ball must be in his court. The fact that his wife made it public that she was happy in London can be viewed as either good or bad – I don’t suppose she is particularly loyal to Arsenal.

As it stands we know nothing about RvP’s situation but we do know from previous summers that there is a domino effect usually towards the end of the season when some top players play musical chairs. Add the delaying effect of the Euros into the mix and I think we can expect some frantic action in the last few days again unfortunately.

21. TotalArsenal says:

Rasp, that i a fair point re decline in second part of the season. Still think RvP would remain focussed and professional right till the end (and same goes for Fabregas imo).

Thanks TA, I think RvP seeing out his contract and leaving on a free is the least likely of the 3 possible scenarios – it flies in the face of all our business post 2006, and would be very unKroenke-like to allow a valuable asset to dwindle to nothing.

23. TotalArsenal says:

Another fair point Rasp. But don’t forget what he could earn for the club if we can keep him another year – in terms of qualifying for CL again, worldwide T-shirt sales, goodwill factor with the fans and associated advertising income, etc.

24. Red Arse says:

A very good Post, JNYC. :-)

You have summed up very nicely the uncertain background to the unconfirmed stories circulating, probably from agents, as to the likelihood of RVP leaving or not.

There is always a dichotomy between those who will love RVP, if he stays, but who will simply hate him, if he goes.
    Others take a more sanguine view of the negotiations and do not think either love or hate have any part in contract negotiations between an employer and an employee.

For myself, I would prefer not to foist my own value judgements, on the rights and wrongs of the current proceedings, which would only be based on inaccurate and often misleading information.

Jens Lehman has the right of it when he says that fans need to trust AW in these circumstances

The fans are the club, and the interests of the club must come first, irrespective of the importance of an individual player.
    That means that the club cannot throw caution and common sense to the winds and be coerced into agreeing an unjustifiable or unsustainable financial package simply to keep a player regardless of the cost.

Let’s face it, you know who will bear the final cost of any such onerous contractual agreement — YOU.

Of course, that is only one man’s opinion! :-)

25. Red Arse says:

Hi TA and Rasper, :-)

I rather like watching you two heft your handbags! bring it on — I’ll hold the coats!! :-)

26. johnnie nyc says:

hi guys, it was a big fear of mine that real or barca would get involved at all. i never really pictured Robin going to city, but it’s always a possibility. I couldnt imagine him in italy either.
    And, as I mentioned in the post, that i’d be surprised if he demanded such huge wages as to diminish the transfer fee we could receive. I do believe he is loyal, and if he had to go, he would want us to be compensated decently, if possible.
    I do hope we keep him by showing some effort in bringing in quality. because, we all want to see that determination, and we do have some glaring weaknesses that need to be addressed. Robin would be right to want to see the clubs committment.

Hi RA, we are in harmonious disagreement :lol:

Hi Johnnie, you make a good point. It would be sad to see RvP leave because his ambition for the club is greater than that of the management – but as many have said before, we simply have no idea if that is the case.

29. TotalArsenal says:

I rather call it an agreeable disharmony Rasp! :D

30. TotalArsenal says:

Quick question, IF RvP were to leave this summer, who should replace him as captain? Who has got the verbal skills, interpersonal skills and can set an example like he does during games?

31. Red Arse says:

look you two, can I arbitrate by calling it “rhapsodically agreeable disagreement”! :-)

32. DannyBoy says:

The Media have a made a mountain out a mole with the Van Persie issue.One wonders if Van Persie had got injured in March if all this talk of a transfer here or there would have sufficed? The media and Agents (Darren Dien) are w/nkers!

33. johnnie nyc says:

well said Rasp, and good question from TA. i need to think on my choice for captain in the worst case of RVP leaving. I used to think of Vermaelen, but im not sure he would be right now. a little undisciplined, and he did complain about playing left back. A captain wouldnt do that publicly.

34. TotalArsenal says:

RA, did you mean Raspodically? :)

Johnnie, good point re the LB position.

35. Bayonne Jean says:

Provocative question re the captaincy. You’d think the vice-captain would assume the mantle, as RVP did vis-a-vis Fabregas, so that would be Vermaelen. There’s also the school of thought that says the captain should come from the back line, to organize the set pieces both ways and fire everyone up in all-hands-on-deck situations; another plus for the Verminator, although a defender doesn’t always work out [see Gallas, William]. And you know Vermy would never back down to anyone. You’d also have to consider the fallout if the vice-captain is skipped over, so again Vermaelen, but good points made above re his downsides.

For me, the captain should be the “house pro”, the one who leads through experience, example, and sheer professionalism. That defines Mikel Arteta. And don’t discount the BFG as a possible vice-captain. vice-captain

JNYC. Fine post.

Difficult to assess whether we should keep RvP should he not sign an extension. There are arguments for both sides.

As to a new Cpt. Can’t look further than TV

Fine post jnyc

You are certainly right to be skeptical of all the people who claim to know what’s going in.

Even the more respectable journalists are just offering their own best guesses.

AW very clearly said that Robin would not be leaving this summer and I believe him. After he ended up with egg on his face last year for saying that we could not consider ourselves a big club if we let Cesc and Na$ri go, I believe Robin’s departure would be a resignation issue for Arsene.

So… if we can negotiate an extension with our captain (which I believe is by far the most likely outcome), I am certain we will hold him to his contract.

I agree with TA (sorry Rasp :) ) that in those circumstances Robin would still give us a very good final year as player and captain.

Hi Rocky, no worries, it’s not as if I wouldn’t also prefer TA’s version to be the truth – however :roll: I was proved correct in everything I forecast last summer.

There is no way we would let RvP run down his contract, its simply not going to happen – that is one of the reasons we bought the Pod I’m certain.

I’m not suggesting that Robn would deliberately underplay if he was being kept against his will, simply that the psychological effect would impinge on his performances and have a negative effect on the rest of the team.

39. goonermichael says:

Rasp
    If Robin runs down his contract it would be in his interest (especially considering his age and past record) to stay fit and replicate his form of last season. Unless we get a stupid offer (£40m plus) I think he’ll stay. i think he wants to anyway.

I hope he stays gm, but only if he signs a new contract. I wouldn’t keep him if he doesn’t, it sends out all the wrong messages.

Just imagine if he does as you suggest and then puts in a couple of poor performances – he’d get slaughtered from certain quarters.

Anyhow, it seems you can have anything you want written ino a contract these days so RvP could have a release clause to enable him to go in 12 months if that’s what he wants, the difference is, Arsenal would get money for him.

Thans for the post jnyc. Its certainly a mystery, going staying going staying going staying, i aint got a clue mate but i have got a headache.

One thing ime pretty confident of though, and i concur with Rasp on this, i very much doubt we will let him see out his contract. Theres simply two much money involved for the club to sanction such a move. A selling price of £25 million is 10% of Arsenals annual turnover, thats to much money to take a risk with.

Why hasn’t RvP signed a new contract before now? Becasue he has been uncertain of what exactly he wants to do. Makes sense, yes?

It does not seem as though RvP is about to sign in the very near future. Why? Because he is still not certain of what he wants to do. Makes sense, yes?

Our club have the luxury of not having to do anything while this unfolds other than make clear to him that he would be welcome should he want to stay.

I believe Rasp makes a very valid point above: “Keeping a player who wants away never works”. Arsenal know this and should Barça or Real show some serious interest which will finally tilt RvP’s decision to leave in that direction the result of which will force Arsenal into the familiar situation of trying to get the most money they can for him bringing what will almost certainly be the long drawn out thing to an end.

Good post, deserves more comments.

44. goonermichael says:

Hi Terry
    i know you’re the accountant but We would have to buy someone decent which would cost10m at least and also pay them 90k a week at least to cover losing.

45. goonermichael says:

So if Robin wants to go to barca and they offer 15m we let him go?

46. goonermichael says:

We should have put fabregas in the reserves for a year

47. Reddawn says:

I have the feeling that we have all missed the vital clue with regard to the RvP saga. Well, today I have my Miss Marple hat on for clue solving. Firstly, there has been no indication from the locked room at Arsenal as to weather a deal has or has not been made. Secondly, RvP apparently wants to leave the decision until after the internationals. My analysis of the subject is, the deal has been agreed, but will not stand if RvP is badly injured during the international games. Wenger cannot have RvP recuperating from injury for another season. Therefore, it makes sense to wait until after the internationals before signing his new contract.

Hi GM

Fabregas in the reserves, yep that would have worked. We may not like it but Barcelona are a big draw. RvP was not brought up in Islington, why wouldn’t he want to continue in the long line of Dutchman who have played there before. One call from Cruyff and it’s all over.

By the way have Barcelona named a new manager yet?

GM. RvP is irreplaceable at present.

He has almost 10 years experience in the PL and is trained the Arsenal way. I am afraid no-one is going to be at his level next season – whoever we sign as a replacement. It is not a question of t a fox in the box, RvP is so much more than that.

I disagree with Rasp and LB about commitment. Robin is a pro, he will give his all for whoever pays him. Of course, this is a subjective assessment!

What I do agree with is Rasp’s idea of giving RvP a contract release clause.

Miss Marple. Why would RvP accept that? He and his agents have the control in this negotiation.

LB. Yes they have. Guardiola’s assistant.

Hi BR

Where is Rasp’s suggestion of a contract release clause, I can’t find it.

Hi gm, we would use the proceeds of the transfer fee to purchase a new player on say a 4 year deal. This should gaurantee that the new player will have resale vaule. If we allow RVP to see out his contract we would have to find the replacement money from our own resources, a costly endeavour. A club that allows its players contracts to depreciate to the point were all players are on a bossman would in general have no funds available to enter a buyers market to procure replacments.

Guardiola’s assistant…….bloody hell.

That is not exactly a statement of intent, that’s even more inward looking Catalan naval gazing.

Woo, I have reduced my view as to whether RvP is likely to go there.

54. goonerjake says:

I hope he stays, I want to think of VP as a gooner. I love our players past and present who are gooners.

Anyone heard Fabregas comments saying as a Arsenal fan I hope he stays at Arsenal ….. hypocrite or regretting his decision to leave ? – Discuss!

LB, my comment @ 5:54

Raddy, I didn’t say RvP would lack commitment, I said that psychologically it would affect his performance and also have a negative effect on his teammates

56. goonermichael says:

I hate to use this as an example but madrid wanted ronaldo and bacon face basically told them to fuck off. He also said that the glazers were prepared to let him rot in the reserves. They got a very good price for him. No one has answered my question.

If Robin wants to go to barca and they offer 15m do we let him go? we wouldn’t want to keep an unhappy player would we.

57. goonermichael says:

58. Red Arse says:

GoonerJake,

What is there to discuss?

Interviewer: Cesc do you think Barca should sign RVP?

Cesc: As an Arsenal fan I would be happy for him to stay at Arsenal and help them win …… yada, yada, yada.

I suppose he could have said “Yeah, fuck Arsenal, sign him, and while we are about it, let’s sign Jack, Chezzer, TV, ………….. well the whole team”.

Now THAT we could discuss! Sheesh.

Sorry gm, you’ve got that wrong. Ronaldo wanted to leave and fergie got him to sign a new contract with a clause to let him go after one year. The result was that everyone saved face (important to Fergie), Real got their man (only one year later) and manu made £70m. Ronaldo signed a new contract – we need RvP to do the same.

60. goonermichael says:

61. Red Arse says:

I agree, Rasper.

62. goonermichael says:

Ronaldo signed a 5 year contract in 2007 and went to madrid in 2009 (it says here)

Really well written post there “Johnnie from my favourite City”.
    Thanks.
    Oh and I like a man who refers to us as Gunners.
    Hate to say this, but LB does make a great point 6:05, but also that the news of the new manager at Barca does cast some doubt on Catalonia as a likely destination.
    My view remains that he’s off as we’ll simply take the money. This way being wrong will feel very very good.

64. goonermichael says:

Drogba just scored a bullet header and a decisive penalty while running down his contract.

Here’s another thought to lob into the equation. Might some interested parties simply be waiting until after the Euros. Let’s face it, everyone knows his track record with injuries while playing for Holland is at best brittle.

66. Reddawn says:

BigRaddy….. because any one other than Arsenal signing on RvP would have an injury clause in the contract, which would be more costly to RvP than you can imagine. They may be rich, but they are not stupid.

67. Illybongani says:

Newcastle have shown that no one is indispensable … The system played by the 11 is much more important than the individual. Likewise Swansea and Norwich holding their own with little more than journeymen footballers this season, and as I’ve mentioned previously Montpellier in France.

Illy,
    And all three you mention playing great football. Have to add that in Belhanda and Giroud, Montpellier have two outstanding players.

Hi gm, I’m not sure how the dates worked out, but Ronaldo only played one more season with manu after he signed the new contract.

Abramovich is a billionnaire who is quite happy to throw away 50m, we are run quite differently. Drogba gained by staying that year and played his heart out and Abramovich gained too – it would be different if Arsenal did the same as the club would lose.

Hi Rasp and GM,
    Sorry for butting in here, but we had a poor last season from TH despite him knowing he was getting his dream move and taking home 200k per week.

One thing I don’t understand is that despite only a year left, the paltry sum of £25m being bounded about. Proven strikers of his quality playing in a league like the Prem are in short supply.

Hi Micky, it’s the 1 year left part that reduces his value as you probably know. If he had 3 years left he may have been worth £45m……. but bugger that, we want him to stay anyway :)

Ah I see, a Ronaldo type thing.

But Rasp, I am not clear on something how would that benifit RvP?

If you have already written a lengthy comment that I have missed just point me to it.

74. goonerjake says:

ra

Its sometimes the smaller issues you have to look at. It is sometimes the things left unsaid, by looking at all the smaller issue just like a jigsaw you get the big picture.. Its the questions why? what if? but? if only you?
    If you dont get that I guess you just dont get it. Now I feel disinclined to explain it to you after your aggrssive response.

Hi LB, since the buying club would not be paying a purchase fee, the player can demand higher wages – exactly as Sol Campbell did when he came to Arsenal. This is accepted practice in football and something RvP’s agent would be sure to enforce.

A few points.

1. Given what we already know about our BOD and our sustainable model it is inconceivable to me that we would allow his contract to expire.

2. If there was any positive news from their little chat over a cup of coffee we would have heard already which indicates that the news is of a negative nature.

3. It’s entirely possible that Arsenal are waiting to see how much is saved by offloading players before they offer a contract.

Hi GN5, I am in complete agreement with your points.

I would only add that RvP will make the best choice for himself and his family, he is just waiting to see what his options are – and who can blame him for that?

78. goonermichael says:

If he goes to city there’ll be plenty of blaming

Now there I completely agree with you gm :P

I will be very disappointed if RvP goes to any other Premiership side. Having said that, it only leaves Barca- if David Villa’s injury/recovery is a problem, Real if they think RvP is better than Benzema or perhaps one of the Milan sides….. all this assuming Robin would not go anywhere where he would spend time on the bench.

Not sure I agree about motivation. Perhaps I am naive but if a man is playing in front of 60k fans,, being paid 100k a week and is a proud man, then I believe he will give his all and leave on a high.

As to his teammates being affected by his departure … They are playing for their own careers.

That said I must agree with Gn5’s synopsis, but Despite logic believe Robin will stay.

I would blame him Rasp. one thing we can all agree on is whatever RVP’s choice, him and his family financialy will want for nothing. i dont buy this crap about winning trophies. If some of these greedy bastards stayed then we would win trophies. One of the big things about football is a sense of belonging, and the way people like Nasri and adebarndoor behave they are slowley killing it. We should never accept that.

82. goonermichael says:

Why would he go to Italy? To win a serie a medal? they are 10 a penny. he’d never win the CL. he’d have to go to RM or Barca. At RM he’d be behind Ronaldo and possibly Higuin. I haven’t read one rumour about them wanting him anyway. If he went to barca he’d be going to a team that just finished potless and has an inexperienced manager. If it is only about money he can go to China or Anzhi.

83. johnnie nyc says:

thanks mickey, yes i hope you are wrong too, and let me know if you ever come to nyc, we’ll get some beers and go to the arsenal bar

If he does leave GM imagine how Arsene Wenger will feel.He came here as a young guy and despite his problems and injuries Arsene and the Club stood by him. One good season later, and we are all discusing his possible departure. Its ridiculous shouldnt even be an option, but we all know it is.

85. goonermichael says:
  86. johnnie nyc says:

for the record…if it’s not already decided, signing a couple good players would really encourage our captain to stay

jync, that shouldnt be an issue. he said he “loves” the club. Do you leave those you love for more money, or because times are tough and they need your help? of course not. There has been a lot of talk today about money, contracts, options, etc, but what about morals and the truth for heavens sake?

88. johnnie nyc says:

great comment terry..i often wonder how Arsene feels about some of the players he trusted and treated like a father.. a little sad

89. TotalArsenal says:

Why would Wenger want to start again building a team? RvP is going to stay unless he made a gentleman’s agreement with Wenger like he did with Cesc, or somebody offers £30m+ and RvP wants to go there. Both are very unlikely scenarios imo, and I am still convinced RvP wants to stay anyway.

But even if RvP wants to leave: why would Wenger agree to let him go for anything less than £30m? The risks of not qualifying for the season after next CL are far too high. On top of that there are many more negative associations with losing our best player yet again. The money would not be worth.

It made sense to let Nasri go: he was a fringe player with the wrong attitude and Citeh offered Arsenal a shed load of money for him. Good business as he did not leave much of a gap behind.

RvP’s departure would leave an enormous gap behind, easily as big as the one Cesc left behind. And that would be two massive gaps in the space of 12 months. I would be very shocked if Arsene were to agree to this without a fight. He is far too ambitious for that.

I am not sure how anybody can doubt Robin would give his all in a last season at Arsenal. He is the absolute opposite of Nasri. A total professional who will keep doing his utmost for the club and his fellow players.

90% sure he’ll stay, and 80% sure we’ll get confirmation of this within the next 2-7 days.

Hope your right TA. Hope ime not coming over to harsh. My frustrations are not directed at RVP but at footballers and football in general and what it is turning us, the supporters in to.

91. johnnie nyc says:

ta, i agree with keeping him under these circumstances..you are right to look down the line at future consequences

TMHT, you are such a romantic :?

I would suggest that for the majority of players, the criteria by which they decide which club to play for are:

money
    quality of life
    potential for achievement
    loyalty to an area/a particular club

The order of priority in which these criteria are arranged is dictated by the values of the individual.

93. TotalArsenal says:

Hi Terry :) You are not harsh at all, and we are all frustrated by the lack of info at the moment. And we have been let down a few times recently…. :(

Why say “Love the club” then Rasp? Why should the club invest all its efforts in a player when he is going to jump ship? why should we bother investing our emotions in those same players? If this continues in football the spirit of the game will die completely and supporters will become more cynical and nasty in reflection of the game they are watching. Do we want that? I dont

95. TotalArsenal says:

Rasp, fine comment @9.34pm. I would add style of football as nr5.

96. goonerjake says:

rasp 9:34 so true , great comment

Good point TA, quality of football should be high on every player’s agenda – but I’m not sure that is always the case, rather something many spout when they are signed as a smokescreen for their less virtuous motives.

Thanks gj, I am not leading a one man campaign to justify RvP if he decides to leave – I’ll be gutted like all the rest of you :(

I will never conform to the reality of the modern game. Rasp is right @9.34, but as long as i live i will be one of those old gits who moans and complains about the lack of morality, ethics and dignity of this great game we love. “Baggy shorts and socks rolled down” you Bastards.

99. goonermichael says:

Do you think Robin is like the majority of players Rasp?

100. TotalArsenal says:

Bayonne Jean, fine comment at 3.52. For me, a captain ideally sits in midfield and, like you, I think Arteta would make a fine captain, but would also be happy to see Mertesacker become our captain.

101. TotalArsenal says:

LB wrote: ‘So what is he waiting for? The answer is surely to see which clubs, if any, show some interest in him. I think there are only two serious options here: Real Madrid and Barcelona whose new manager may well want to stamp his own authority with a formidable ally in the dressing room. But, yet again, this will take time.’

Hi LB,

You could be right, but don’t be surprised if it turns out that RvP asked Gazidis and Wenger to explain the strategy of how Arsenal are going to make the next step up and he has made some suggestions himself of how it could be done. This would be a typical Dutch thing to do, as they like involvement in decision making, especially with RvP being the captain as well. On top of that, there could be package related issues that need to be resolved. All this takes time, and is not easy to communicate to the outside world.

If it is not resolved and communicated in the next 7 days, then I will go with your version of events as per your 6.05 comment.

102. TotalArsenal says:

Hi Rasp, good point. I think style of football is particularly attractive to young recruits, as in the likes of Fabregas, Ramsey, Theo, the Ox, many French players (Arsene being French helps as well of course). I am also quite sure that Arteta and Mertesacker opted for us because of our style of football, although other factors will have played a part as well.

TA
    @9.27 – I agree with every word of that.
    Wenger’s no mug and he knows we can’t let our best player and captain waltz off into the sunset for the second year in succession.

As AW has said very clearly (although most people in Arsenal Land seem to be completely ignoring him), RVP is going nowhere.

I didn’t think RvP was part of that ‘majority’ gm – we will all find out in due course.

Hi Rocky, he said the same thing about Cesc and Nasri. If RvP asks to leave, the club will take the highest offer that is acceptable to all parties and that is likely to be less than £30m due to his age.

Excellent post, Johnnie.
    The number and quality of the comments is testament to that.

I find it hard to give, or even have, an opinion on something about which we have so little information. I really hope Robin wants to stay, if not, he must be sold. I disliked watching Fabregas with his head bowed in his last season. I was hoping an agreement could be reached early: last summer was a masochist’s paradise.

I love your comments Terry. They get right to the heart of the decline of our loyalty as supporters to the players. The modern footballer largely disgusts me with his badge-kissing, chest thumping, wallet-bulging emptiness. It’s only the red and white that stops me loathing all of them.

107. goonermichael says:

I don’t think he’ll go for less Rasp. I think we’ll hold him to the last year. I actually think he’s going to sign a new deal personally. Who is going to pay £25m and give him 200k a week? He’s an injury prone 29 year old.

Thanks chas. Your spot on what you say, its the red and white that keeep me going to. Thats why i bang on and bore people about the Club keeping its traditions, and despite the corporatizion of the club we have maaged to keep strong semblences of our identity. I can live without trophies but i will be heartbroken without our club.

Rasp
    “If RvP asks to leave, the club will take the highest offer that is acceptable to all parties and that is likely to be less than £30m due to his age.”

I completely disagree… but (as you say, you were right about everything last summer :( ). Time will tell.

As to the Cesc/Nasri comments from AW last year, as I said in the comments above, it’s precisely because he had egg on his face over those comments that I feel so confident on RvP staying, given what AW has said this year.

Gn5
    I just don’t buy the “no news must be bad news” theory in relation to the meeting between Robin and AW/IG. I think they will have discussed broad terms of a deal and Robin’s agent will now be thrashing out the nitty gritty with the club. I get involved in quite a few contractual “talent” deals and they’re never quick, even when both main parties are in agreement about the general principles.

Chas, Terry
    Strange as it may seem, we are more important that any of the players. If the fans fall out of love with the game, who will pay the players’ ridiculous wages?

A pertenient piece from Football365.

…………………………………………………………………………….
    Why RvP Leaving Isn’t The End Of Days

Of course, if Robin van Persie leaves Arsenal then it really won’t reflect well on the club, but Nick Miller argues that his fitness record means it won’t be the end of the world…

The general feeling among Arsenal fans is that, if Robin van Persie leaves this summer, it will be the end of days. Stop all the clocks. Pack up and go home. They might as well give up because all hope is gone.

Should Van Persie leave, the damage will indeed be great. Arsenal will lose their most potent attacking force, their captain and the man upon whom all their hopes are placed. His will also, after successive summers when their best players have moved to shinier places, be another name added to the list of men who see their best chance of winning something away from the Emirates. To say it’s be a bad sign would be an understatement.

However, if Van Persie does decide he wants to leave (and from his public statements, the signs are not great) it might be a blessing in disguise. Admittedly a brilliantly deceptive disguise that could fool even the blessing’s closest friends and relatives, but a blessing nonetheless.

Last season, Van Persie was ever-present in the Premier League. His season wasn’t once interrupted by injury – something that really should’ve been greeted like that scene at the end of ‘Magnolia’ when it started raining frogs. Rare is not the word.

And this is the point. 2011/12 could well be the exception in terms of his fitness, rather than the rule. Indeed, all the evidence points towards this being so. Van Persie managed 38 league games last season, which was the first time he’d broken the 30-game mark for Arsenal. Hell, it was the first time he’d managed it in his entire career.

A quick glance over Van Persie’s injury history reveals four spells out in 2010/11, a couple in 2009/10 and four in 2008/9. In those three seasons he was unavailable through injury for 45 Premier League games, basically meaning he was no use to Arsenal a third of the time. When he was available he spanked in goals for fun, leaving everyone with an overpowering sense of ‘What if…’

We found out ‘What if…’ in the season just gone, but what evidence do we have that his perfect fitness record will continue? Is the probability not that Van Persie will revert to crocked type next season?

It’s dangerous for a team to rely so heavily on one man at the best of times, but when we don’t really know how often he’s going to be fit, it’s doubly risky. This summer will most likely be the last time Van Persie is worth big money, so if a club will pay £25million for a man with his fitness record, it might be a shrewd piece of business for Arsenal, providing he is replaced. Admittedly, that is another conversation entirely – although Lukas Podolski could already have been purchased with this in mind.

Should Van Persie decide to commit his future to the club, then Arsenal fans should hang out the bunting. But if he decides to leave, there should be no urgent need to remove all sharp objects from north London homes.

Nick Miller

RL;

I was intimating that “no news is not positive news” – not as you say -“no news is bad news”.

113. Gooner In Exile says:

Thanks for the post Jnyc, sorry I’ve only just read it, and I plead guilty to only skim reading the comments.

For me he has three options, stay at Arsenal, go to Italy, go to Germany.

Juve have retired Del Piero so will look for another talisman the slower pace would suit. Bayern missed a goalscorer on Saturday and RvP could replace Gomes. I don’t think he will play for anyone else in PL. Barca haven’t got funds, they are saving up to settle their pre agreed deal for Neymar for which they’ve already paid a deposit of €10m and the banks aren’t lending them any more money. Real are covered up front. The biggest worry is that RvP signs for another PL club but I just can’t see it.

Let’s not forget we signed Henry to a new contract and sold him the next season to Barca, he was quoted as saying it was good for the youngsters to lose him as they were playing the ball to him when there were better options on (but he used to scream loudest for the pass). Our play this season became RvPcentric, do we need a fresh start?

114. 26may1989 says:

Another late one to the party: fine post jnyc, thanks.

I pretty much agree with Exile’s summary: Real and Barca would be the big threats but both look unlikely. I don’t think either of the Milan clubs have the money. The rejuvenated Juve would be a more logical option, but despite their return to the big time, Italian football remains unattractive compared with Spain, England and Germany, not least due to match-fixing, hooliganism and racism.

Bayern could be a draw but I don’t see that van Persie would get much from going there that he hasn’t got already. I wonder if the sheikhs behind PSG might try a cheeky bid – it wouldn’t work, French football is still behind the big four, but loads of cash to live in Paris, there’s something attractive about that option.

Closer to home, City is an obvious threat for obvious reasons. If (as rumoured a few months ago) Real go after Aguerro and he fancies going home, they could easily be in the market. But FFP is a real issue – City’s 10% increase of ticket prices, which is not needed for any reason other than contributing to balancing the books for sustainability reasons, shows that City are beginning to look ahead. Is it worth them putting themselves back by paying us £20m and van Persie between £20m and £30m on his contract, all for an injury prone striker whose decline may start any time?

The interesting thing is that the club that probably need someone like van Persie more than anyone other than us is not mentioned in all the tittle-tattle: United. Five years ago, they would have been leading the chase, now they’re nowhere.

As was suggested the other day, FFP is likely to have its greatest impact on players like van Persie: ostensibly high value but in reality lacking a sell-on potential, and coming with the most expensive pay packets. With just two more seasons to go before the FFP system goes live, and with expenditure from the beginning of the 2011-12 season counted, the big clubs are jockeying to try to make sure they aren’t left exposed come August 2014. My bet is that the right offer from the right clubs will not, in the end, be made to van Persie.

I’m sure he is genuinely looking at the options, and it would be foolish to count on loyalty – we all look at our options from time to time, and while the money for playing football may be obscenely high these days, it’s pretty much the same principle for footballers; I have no problem with anyone thinking about whether to stay or go. True, he does have that rancid little toad, Darren Dein, in his ear, no doubt pushing him towards the door, but my bet is van Persie hasn’t decided anything yet and is waiting to see what comes his way, and will then choose whether to stay or go, weighing up the money, the trophy potential and lifestyle issues. If he does decide to go, he should and I would wish him well, unless he joined another PL team. But I hope he stays, it’s taken so long for him to prove what he really can do in a sustained way, I would love to see him spend the next 2-3 seasons continuing that in the red and white, while a new generation grows up alongside him.

115. johnnie nyc says:

26MAY, thoughts perfectly laid out. could’ve been a nice article on it’s own. The reason i come here every day, is that there is more intelligent discussion than in the regular media.

116. Gooner In Exile says:

Johnnie last night on TalkShite the odious Durham was telling us Arsenal fans that Henry didn’t live the club because he left for Barca, and we all bought the fake tears at his Statue unveiling.

Ahoy Chas and GiE,
    I loathed Henry at the end. Just saying. However, I do think the romantic notion of player loyalty is just that. As Kelsey (can’t you come back now) reminded me, Lauren was summoned into the Wenger office and abruptly told that he had been flogged to Pompey.

And just possibly my last thought on Robin is that maybe Robin wants to stay, Arsene wants him to stay, but it is the Board waiting to see what offers emerge.
    Is Arsene on a “need to sell to buy” policy? Probably.

I keep refreshing to the top of the page. Any ideas?

120. Gooner In Exile says:

If in doubt blame wordpress.

Occasionally I post a comment WordPress doesn’t like and it chucks me back to the top of the page.

Computer help desk solutions:
    1) Come out of the site and then go back in.
    2) Clear your temporary files
    3) Delete your Arsenal Arsenal cookie
    4) Power down and reboot.

Number 4, ‘Have you tried switching it off and then turning it back on again?’, never ever changes and often is the only thing that works. :)

WordPress is strange. Why ruin a perfectly good system? It was simple and efficient before the “upgrade”.

Does anyone have an iPhone? I am thinking of buying a smartphone and don’t trust online reviews.

GiE,
    I blame WordPress for Chelsea winning the CL.
    Chas,
    It worked :-)
    BR,
    Depends on what you do on your phone. I have just switched to an enormous Samsung Note and would never go back. Its like a cross between a phne and a Pad, but I cannot stand small keyboards. Also, it has a pen that is so easy for making quick notes. However, I do alot of emails on mine for work, so the big screen/keyboard is brilliant. If for you its really just a phone, then go for Iphone as I know you are a Mac man and therefore you have great compatability. They are very good phones.

124. Gooner In Exile says:

Yes Raddy I have one. What do you want to know? Let it be said I’m an Apple fan tho, so may not be the most independent person in the world.

But imho Apple iOS5 > Android because like Windows PCs if the phone hasn’t got the hardware specs Android is limited and what one user can do on his Samsung Galaxy another user can’t do on his HTC. I have a friend with the Galaxy and he is getting all sorts of problems. Also whilst a lot of Android apps are free (due to OpenSource) there is not the quality control. If you’re considering Blackberry my answer is don’t.

Grab my email off Peaches or Rasp and ask away.

BR,
    Thought of you yesterday. I was in Port Isaac helping one of the Fisherman Friends set up a food smoking business. There I was thinking how many people who performed at Glastonbury last year could you be talking to while he was in his wellies and holding a bucket of water and a mop!

BR,
    I’ve got an old iphone 3g. A mate who gets a new phone from work every year on contract gave it to me, because they changed the size of the sim card for newer versions, so it wasn’t worth him keeping it as a backup. I put my existing pay as you go sim card in it and it worked straightaway. You can get an old iphone handset fairly cheaply, but I’m sure you’d want the most up-to-date model.

I use it every day for internet. I don’t use “apps” simply because I’m too lazy. I love it though, but then again, I loved my old Nokia 6420i. :)

Some friends swear by the Android phones as being cheaper and more versatile.

GiE is right on the Samsung Galaxy. Its Note or Iphone.
    If serious work then Note otherwise stick to Iphone.

Thanks. I knew you would help!

I have a friend with the Note and he thinks it is the chiens coulees.

As I just want a phone with iTunes and ‘net access the iPhone seems best.

Now I have to decide whether my phone can get me through to iPhone 5, which is highly unlikely.

chas. Second hand may be the way to go for a year. Like you I use pay as you go. By far the cheapest method

130. Gooner In Exile says:

Raddy iphone5 would likely be November based on recent release schedules.

I have the 4S but doubt that the 5 is going to be extraordinarily better, and the 4S is not much better than 4 (it has the Siri gimmick and is a little quicker). Personally I’d try and get a 4 on eBay or via Apple Refurb online.

As you have Mac you would find a lot of the features and sync ability very useful

Two top top quality comments up there, the first from GIE at 11.52 and the second from 26 at 1.26. I bet there weren’t two better comments on the whole of the Arsenal blogsphere yesterday.

Oh no, Kalou has just been released by chelski – now that is one player we do not want. His rate of conversion of chances is very poor – we’ve already got plenty of players like that :(

Why would they be chasing us to sign Benayoun and yet letting Bosingua and Kalou walk away for nothing?

LB. 8.17 Agree. I read both comments thinking ” I wish I had written that….. “

134. goonermichael says:

Raddy
    Personally I think apple are tha tottenham of technplogy. Absolutely hate them. If you have a mac and an ipad though it would make sense to buy one. My colleague at work had an HTC but now has an iphone and says it’s not that good. I know a lot of people with iphones that have dodgy buttons. Another colleague at work has one that calls people randomly becuase her button is stuck. The screen cracks very easily too. I have the cheapest HTC with the lowest android os which doesn’t play flash (like the iphone) anyone who says you don’t need flash is not getting that much out of thier phone.The only app I have ever bought is 101 great goals and I uninstalled it because 70% of the videos are flash. Next phone I get will be tha HTC Hi def one or the Galaxy note.

LB.
    I’m stunned you did not think my comment was the best of the day. That’ll be the one where I said you were right :-)

Its inconceivable that once you have had a Note for a day or two that you would consider anything else.
    I thought “too big” but now think everything else is simply too small to be of any use other than a simple phone.

137. Gooner In Exile says:

Flash is dying GM, HTML5 is removing the need for Flash, there are a lot more websites able to play vids without flash now (which is good as its a security nightmare for PCs and Phones alike).

As for phone problems you only ever hear the bad, two of my friends have the NexusG, one guys constantly reboots itself and he has problems syncing it because drivers on his PC have updated, the other guy thinks its the best thing since sliced bread.

My wife’s iphone4 died last year, it’s signal reception became unusable at home, however I has the same phone for same length of time, and she is now using it 6 months later and it works fine.

I would say Raddy that if you’re going Pay As You Go then pay the £30 for AppleCare to give you cover against any issues.

Rasp my guess is Kalou and Bosingwa are out of contract according to this they are:

Benny still has a year left, Chelsea need to free up wages to beat FFP, those that say FFP won’t work just have to look at the movements by the super rich clubs. And they also need to recoup some cash if possible.

Would I sign Kalou? Well he isn’t first choice but he gives an option of pace and game changing off the bench. Altho I would doubt we will sign Kalou (assuming he is still part of ACN Ivory Coast squad. Pure madness if we did considering we will lose Song and Gerv again in January.

I think as teams drop out of Euros we will see more movement. But until then it’s going to be quiet, agents won’t have as free access to their players and they will also be letting them concentrate on football to ensure the agent can maximise his commission….FFP will affect agents too….GOOD!

GIE. Thanks. I can’t find a link for a refurbed IPhone from Apple. Maybe a Danish thing …..

GM. I am Macced-UP. It is too late for me ……

GiE, yes Kalou and Bosingwa are out of contract. Signing Kalou would be nearly as bad as signing Silvestre (our worst ever signing under AW) He’s not good enough for chelski, we already have Chamakh who’s goal shy, why on earth would we want Kalou? He’s supposed to be a striker and scores only 1 goal every 4.5 games.

140. Gooner In Exile says:

Btw having read back over some comments I’d say there are legs for a post in TMHTs 8:54’ish regarding players leaving for trophies.

This from D98 is for me on the money too:

“What disaffected bubble do players live in that allows them divorce their own failings from the performance of the team”

This is how I feel about Nasri particularly.

141. Gooner In Exile says:

Rasp depends if you see him as a centre forward or not, I think he is more a Theo/Gerv player, gives more competition and some experienced squad depth. That said I still wouldn’t sign him due to African Nations alone and my guess is he will be looking for big money (and signing on fee).

Raddy can’t find on UK store either….my bad…they refurb everything else!

New Post ……………….

GiE,
    Chelsea are freeing up space for the £35m bid they’ve stuck in for some Brasilian.

144. Gooner In Exile says:

Oh and Joey Barton 12 games …. not enough, should have been:

1. Elbow on Tevez – Red Card (3+1 for earlier sending off)
    2. Kick at Aguero – Red Card (3+2 for earlier offences)
    3. Butt at Kompany – Red Card (3+3 for earlier offences)

Total imho should be 15 minimum

145. I constantly emailed this blog post page to all my associates, because if like to read it then my
    contacts will too.