What’s Your Highlight of the Season?

Having watched a video of some spuds struggling to find a highlight to their ‘best ever team’ season, I started to ponder which were the highlights of my Arsenal season. As I went back through the games, I realised that, even though this was a big dipper of a ride, with lurching troughs and exultant peaks, there were so many truly memorable moments this season I could have chosen.

5-3 at the Bridge
A game with so many highlights, but the king of the chavs munching turf for our 4th goal sticks out for me. This clip doesn’t show the goal perfectly but I love Cashley in the foreground and the Gooner faithful in the background.

Best away fans
When Dortmund came to town their fans really put on a show. The North Bank upper tier always used to bounce on big nights. This was the first time I’d felt the upper tier at the Grove bouncing. What a phenomenal atmosphere and a great footballing occasion.

Biggest away victory plus Sir Chez sings
It was my third away trip to the pie-eaters in three seasons. We’d seen two successive comebacks by the opposition in the previous two trips. Four goals, two in each half, a clean sheet, “He scores when he wants” for the first time and Szcz leading “We’re by far the greatest team” at the end of the game. What more could you want?

Arsenal’s goal of the season?
The sublime technique of Mr van Persie unlocked the door of the Everton bus and provided the perfect present on our 125th birthday

Benny’s winner at Villa
After coming on as sub with less than 10 minutes to go, Yossi snatched a crucial 2 points for the Gunners with his stooping header.

The Return of the King
Thierry returned home in January and produced two moments of such magical timing, they left our hearts aglow. First was the exquisite Henryesque ‘open up the body’ finish on his comeback against Leeds in the FA Cup.

The second was his athletic winner from an Arshavin cross at the Stadium of Light which provided another crucial 2 points and started a run of 4 league matches where we came from behind.

Mashing the spuds
Quite simply this was one of the top 5 games I have ever been lucky enough to witness. Two nil down to the N17 pondlife, the knuckle-draggers tempted fate singing, “Arsene Wenger, we want you to stay” and “Your season’s over”. Five glorious red and white goals later they weren’t singing anything with most of them half way up the Seven Sisters Road before the final whistle. The turning point of the season without a doubt.  Enjoy.

A Krul joke
Thomas Vermaelen’s winner deep into injury time caused by Tim Krul’s persistent time-wasting was the perfect answer from the footballing gods to petty gamesmanship. Another exquisite capture of 2 vital points right at the death.  “Cam on Theo, do summink Theo”

The cleanest strike of a football you could ever see
When Mikel’s boot connected with the back of the football against Villa, the red and white angels carried it with speeding wings past Shay Given. This was my favourite goal of the season.

Arsenal do the Poznan
Arteta again gave us a season highlight with his late strike to dispose of the Oilers at the Grove.

The new Home of Football has seemed more like home this season than at any time since the move from Highbury. Even the Upper Tier were doing the Poznan. Great moments like this help to cement the stadium in the hearts of the supporters. Joyous stuff.

I’m sure we’ve all had moments of great joy and excitement during this season that will live long in our memories. These are some of mine without even mentioning another glorious last day St. Totteringham’s. What’re yours?

Written by chas

132 Responses to What’s Your Highlight of the Season?

1. WiganGooner says:

Cracking article Chas, some stunning memories right there :)

Good job.

WG

2. WiganGooner says:

Peaches,

I whacked an article into drafts, I hope that’s OK? Its been so long! :)

WG

Hi Wiggy, thanks for that, a WG offering is always appreciated, we’ll be in touch to let u know which day we’ll be publishing.

4. WiganGooner says:

@Rasp,

You are too kind, I keep writing articles for here but never get around to sending/putting them up and then they’re out of date/already covered by someone else with better writing talent than me…

Time is always conspiring against me these days it seems!!

WG

Thanks for the article chas – king of the clips :P

I happen to know you’re on the golf course today so good luck with that.

My favourite moment was the Arteta goal against city. Not because I am an Arteta fan, but because that goal appeared to ensure a top four finish for us and to have killed off city’s hopes of landing the premiership.

6. VCC says:

Mine was without doubt the day my Son and I went to see our 5-2 win against Tottenham Hotspurs.

The whole day was fun from start to finish. So many happy memories of that day.

The one loll, was when we went 2-0 down, but that was not for long.

Dancing in the aisles with complete strangers, singing chants to the opposition fans when they were flooding out at 5-2, “is there a fire drill, is there a fire drill”.

Drinking and singing on the coach going home.

Stepping from the coach and walking into my local with the two of us singing “Arsenal,Arsenal,Arsenal” and being greeted by half his football team (who unfortunately could not get tickets) who were still in there celebrating. We turned it into an Arsenal party. Happy dayz.

Oh sorry, and least of all, meeting some AA,ers in the Tavern before KO.

Thank you Arsenal, I love you.

7. oz gunner says:

great idea chas, how quickly you forget some of these great moments.

I agree with Rasp, Arteta vs Man City was my favourite goal. Not because it was the best just because we really deserved that victory. We absolutely played all over the title winners!

I terms of emotion you can’t look past Henry vs Leeds. The celebration says it all really.

In terms of importance I loved the Sagna goal against the scum. It really jump started the season again, and i loved how Sagna attacked the ball!

Execution wise i thoroughly enjoyed RVP’s goal against the spuds. From the moment he recieved the ball you just knew he was going to score it. He dazzled, he waltzed then he bent the ball with precision!

Favourite Game: Arsenal vs Spuds

What a rollercoaster ride of emotion that was. From on the verge of sending the remote through the televison, to complete and utter euphoria!

8. Slimgingergooner says:

Oz,

100% agree with that assessment!

Nothing more to add!

9. Slimgingergooner says:

Oh, on 2nd thoughts,

A moment that isn’t on there is the Gibbs tackle v West Brom. Arguably the most important moment of the whole season.

I love this post. Thanks Chas.
    Tough decision. For me highlights have to contain a personal element, and from that point of view being at a game helps. I was at the Everton game, and Robin’s strike was the goal of the season for me, but the game itself was fairly dull. I was at neither Chelsea away or Spuds home, and for me, those were the stand out matches. However, for my personal favourite I’m torn between the CC Shrewsbury game and Newcastle home.
    I had made the pilgrimage to the CC game specifically to see The Ox. I watched the game high in the North Bank sitting with Peaches and Evonne (top that lads!) and from there witnessed the birth of a Legend. For the Newcastle game, I had taken my father in law to his first ever top flight game (he’s a Southend United fan). Last gasp winners always hit the spot for me, but most importantly, my father in law still mentions every time we speak about how much he loved the whole experience, and most of all how much he was impressed by the camaraderie and passion of the AA’ers he met before the game.
    So it’s a tie between those games for me. Friends and Family really matter.

11. Red Arse says:

Chas,

What a cracker of a post! Great memories but strung together beautifully, words and Vids. Salute!! :-)

I’m with Rasper and Arty Farty’s goal, if pushed to choose, but Oz sums it all up so well with his 10:48, and then again, Slim at 11:10 and Gibbsy’s block —— oh to hell with it, I loved them all equally, the Chavs game, the Spuds thrashing — it’s why I love Arsenal and the ecstasy of moments like those, and yes, OK, also the descant or down side of losing stupidly and unexpectedly, so bollix to the stats, football is life, man!! :-)

12. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Fantastic work Chas…I’ve only read thru without being able to watch any vids yet….

Might have to claim a dodgy tummy at work, and disappear for an hour to watch them on my mobile !

13. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Well said Oz re Sagna. I especially loved his complete and total lack of celebration. Just continued his run, grabbed the ball, sprinted back and spotted it as if to say…c’mon boys I’m tired of this ****ing shit*, are you lot with me or what…??’

Sagna’s sprit at that moment turned our season. Loved his comments yesterday (?) about his broken leg feeling better with a g’teed CL place

* With apologies to Peaches Mum

14. TotalArsenal says:

“One Chas, we’ve only got one Chas, we’ve only got one Chas, we’ve only got one Chas”

You are the King of Experiences, of making us sniff, hear, watch, enjoy and relive the games of the season again. Simply fanChastic!

Fully agree with your choices and I would like to add:
    1. Theo’s throughball for RvP in Dortmund
    2. Ramsey’s (of course :) ) late goal in Marseilles
    3. Theo’s second goal in Udine
    4. Szczesny’s double penalty save at the Dippers
    5. Arsene’s rest on Pat Rice’s chest at WBA
    6. Wilshere’s bet with the Spud supporters
    7. RvP’s free-kick winner against Sunderland (I was there)
    8. The interview in which RvP puts an arm around Theo and tells the reporter how fantastic he is
    9. Song’s performance against Milan at home
    10. Rosicky’s celebration when he scored against the Spuds

And there are so many more highlights. There is plenty to improve for next season, and so many holes to pick if we want to, but just as in live in general, we should look for beauty and enjoy it when we can, as much as possible. Your post today does exactly that, and I salute you Chas. :)

15. TotalArsenal says:

* live = life, lalalalalala

16. Derek Dryden says:

Great article………magical videos – enjoy :-)

17. Noobgooner says:

The Milan game was a topper as well as the aforementioned. It was such a turn in the attitude of the haters in media circles and a reboot for the fans who at that point had bn frustrated and sulking over the previous leg. Somehow, i thought we cld have made it thro to the next round after 3goals before halftime. The atmosphere at the emirates looked epic with wild uproar after each goal. A fine comeback after the rest of the world had trashed us after the loss at Milan. I recall vividly pundits ruling out th chances of a comebck, and if it did happen, it wldve bn history in th making. Well, we came very close to making history by defying all odds. The effort the boys put in that day, is why i see we’re Champions material. They just need to reach deep in them and pull it out. Whatever happend to that spirit that night? They need to get it back. PS I still blame the pitch at Milan for part of that loss.

18. TotalArsenal says:

Noob, good comment. I don’t think it was a ‘one-night’ spirit though – we had a great period which started with the home defeat of the Spuds and finished after the Wolves away-win.

chas. Happy Days ……

My faves:

First Half v Milan (home) was awesome

Best moment. Without question TH14 v Leeds

Best 2nd Half. Tie between Spurs and Chavs.

In a season full of ups and downs the Up’s must be beating the runaway Double German Champions (BD), Winning home and away v Udinese who are a fine team. Newcastle away, Liverpool away. Blackburn home.

Worst? The final 25 mins v MU away

Wilshere’s got to have an operation on his knee :(

It’s not thought to be too serious and may not delay his return greatly – but hopefully will be enough to persuade the powers that be to invest in a midfielder this summer.

JW off for a knee op :-(

Rasp
    In Arsenal speak it translates as “just having the left leg off. Back playing in ten minutes¨

23. evonne says:

Oh Chas, what a wonderful idea of a post! See, it was a great season full of memorable moments. For me it was Milan at home. I and many others were prepared for a lack boring 90mins, with our resigned team and Milan on the bus outside their goal. It was anything but that, great game, very good result (almost perfect) and terrific atmosphere. And I was there enjoying every minute of it.

I’d say that games you go to stick in memory for longer. Gosh, Peaches and Chas might need to archive theirs somewhere

SO JW tells the BBC that he is back in training and raring to go. Next day, he is undergoing a knee op. ??????

As you say Rasp, we need midfield cover. But the difficulty is how much do we spend, because JW will return at some point and become an AFC great.

And do we buy a DM or an AM or both? Do we rely on Diaby to cover for JW? Do we keep Bennie?

Not so easy but then again I am not paid for the answers

Also there appear to be no leaks as to the outcome of yesterday’s meeting with RvP.

IMO, this is not good news.

Hi Raddy, we actually have plenty of midfielders, but not one who is defensively minded enough (except Arteta) and not one who can direct our attacking play.

I thought the same thing about Wilshere – on the mend one day, under the knife the next!

Micky, unfortunately we have learnt to take what the club says about the longevity of injuries with a pinch of salt. I don’t know whether that is because our medical staff are crap at predicting recovery tinmes (unlikely) or whether its the PR department who decides what message to give.

27. richie says:

For me it has to be the Spuds game not because we played so well or scored wonder goals but because of all the emotions involved. Before the match the no nothing Jurno’s and pundits had written us off, it was all about how many we’d lose by?Then to go 2 nil down inside 35 mins, especially with the soft pen given, and scored by Ade buy buy that was sickening! I couldn’t believe it because I thought we were playing the better football. To come back and win by 3 topped everything. Especially wonderful to see all the experts having eat humble pie.

I have got another favorite moment though less football more of a joke John Terry falling over as Malouda’s back pass eluded him in the 85th min allowing RvP to score his 2nd of his hat trick that was priceless, especially JT’s face.

28. richie says:

Bad news about Jack having to go back under the knife, the injury is now going to be as much about the psychology of it as the physical. If everytime you make a come back you are re-injuried you’ll be scared to push things so recovery could take much longer. Plus if psychologically you try not to favour the injuried limb you can inadvertently put more strain on other limbs or joints “a la Diaby” our physio’s have now really got to earn their keep.

29. oz gunner says:

i wouldnt worry guys these sort of key hole surgies happen all the time. They often call them tune ups or tidying up the joint. You would be surprised just have fast they recover and just how common they are (Rafts of players have them in Aussie Rules Football yet are ready for pre-season training).

@ BR

i agree with the meeting comment. You would think if it was good news that it’d be out in the open. I’m just hoping it’s not a long drawn out affair (for instance “i want to focus on the Euros ect ect”) because then we have to deal with story after story.

I really hope he doesn’t play out his contract with us, leaving all Arsenal fans praying he signs another one during the season instead of leaving on a Bosman! We deserve some respite after the cesc saga! come on RVP give us all a break, we want relief for once dammit!

Oz. Given that RvP will certainly take us to the CL next season and that without him there must be some doubts; I would keep him and drop the €20+m .

If he refuses to sign at the end of next season then so be it.

But I remain hopeful he will sign an extension.

31. oz gunner says:

im confident he will too BR

32. WiganGooner says:

Hi all,

With regards to RvP I put this on the stupid le-grove this morning who are determined that RvP is leaving.

“Perhaps it is because Robin needs to consider the offer? Signing the rest of his career off might be a simple decision, but he has family to consider along with his own personal ambitions.

If you were negotiating a deal, would you accept the very first offer? I wouldn’t. I’d use a bit of kidology, convince the other party that others were involved and it isn’t cut and dried and let them make their very best offer possible before I commit.

Simple contract negotiations.

Until anything is announced it is foolish to speculate either way. Robit might sign it today, he might not sign it until after the Euro’s. They might have made an agreement to meet again next week to sign leaving Robin a brief period of consideration without stress or pressure,

Who knows. Don’t panic until there is something to panic about.

WG”

WG

WG. You used logic and a 5 syllable word – waste of a comment on LG :-)

34. WiganGooner says:

@BR

I know, I generally refrain from commenting on that site, but they were just too ridiculous for words today.

WG

WG. It is such a shame. I used to lve that site until the lunatics took over.

Still, if LG hadn’t gone tit’s up there would be no AA

36. tomstoned says:

Chas what a truly superb post :)awesome,and i wish you all gooners a splendid summer from Svalbard !..

37. A great idea for a pick-me-up kinda post Chas, for me the highlight would be a match which I was at that would clinch it, namely the last minute winner against the bar codes.

The euphoria was orgasmic(sorry Peachy’s mum) and in view of how Krul time wasted from the 10th minute onwards, it bloody well served him right.

38. TotalArsenal says:

My view on the RvP talks are that if both parties were miles apart, they would have come out by now to say so, in order to get external bodies to put pressure on the other party.

If they are quite close but have to go back to their (business)partners i.e. wife / other board members, they would both agree to keep quiet to the outside world about what has been discussed.

I see the quietness as a good sign. :)

39. Red Arse says:

Of course the silence might be because both sides are running for the hills! :-)

RVP to get the Citeh oil money sorted out;
    and Arsenal to get replacements lined up before the news breaks.

I see the ‘quietness’ as a bad sign. :-)

Or ………………….. maybe not! :-)

40. Red Arse says:

How come my avatar name was ‘blue’ at 11:06 and now it has been blackened?

Was it something I wrote? :-)

41. Red Arse says:

WordPress are a bunch of pillocks!

Is ‘bunch’ the collective noun for ‘pillocks’? :-)

42. Red Arse says:

TA, :-)

Where are you when a guy needs answers? :roll:

I noticed you went on a sabbatical yesterday!!!!

43. Red Arse says:

Now my avatar has gone ‘blue’ again. Maybe I am sad and don’t know it?

Everybody clocked off for the day? Maybe that’s why! :-)

44. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

My single fave moment has to be Songs ‘Messi impression’ against Dortmund. I think of that one as Song’s goal and Robins assist…its the only way that it seems fair !

45. Red Arse says:

That’s typical Sharkeythingy, Here I am in the depths of blue despondency and all you can talk about is bleedin’ Messi and singin’ a Song!!!

I bet Frothin’ is on your side too!! :-(

46. Red Arse says:

And don’t think I haven’t noticed you have become a scarey ghostly whatnot, just like that world famous Clic’s Ghost!!

47. Red Arse says:

Well I never! Ian Wright has become a coach at Milton Keynes.

Next stop Arsenal manager? :-)

48. I cannot allow you to become a world famous ‘blog fartus’!!

49. Dingus says:

Yeah, but, no but, whooo is gonna stop yees been the grandadddy of all farting bogguses

Ang on, whooo is gunna stop me been a bloggin fartner ….. feck

50. evonne says:

I wonder if we are going to have the worst moment of the season? If so I happen to know Sharkey’s darkest hour, sorry Sharkey but I thought it was really funny when you said:
    “My lowest point was last week with Norwich’[s equaliser. I was sat on a chair in the Computer room at home. I was tempted to just fall sideways and let my body and head just hit the floor.”

Wigan
    Every time I try to comment on your site I get a ‘server error’ message.

Chas
    Brilliant happy-maker of a Post :)

52. Red Arse says:

Rockford;

You do realize you have to answer a simple maths query?
    (The answer is ‘2’) before you can Post your comment! :-)

My hero has feet of clay? ……………………… Nooooooooooooooooo!

53. TotalArsenal says:

RA :) Sorry I missed you after my comment. This is the time of the day when I earn my keep…

I loved your comment yesterday re the value of stats and the difficulty of fair and truthful interpretations. :)

Re the ‘quietness’, I reckon a deal is nigh. Robin asked for £150k pw and a new contract for his assists-tants Song and Theo, whether he can play in the hole behind the Pod, and whether the club is prepared to sign another beast of a winger/AM, and to put the Verminator in the DM position, and Gazidis and Wenger said ‘sound doable, let us check with Stan the Man. Let’s talk again on Friday… :lol:

54. dandan says:

Interesting article Chas. Only problem I have been unable to get in all day, I suspect it may have something to do with wordpress and all those video’s. any way good luck to all will try and catch up tomorrow.

55. Red Arse says:

Wow, TA, :-)

You have me salivating, if you are right that Robin is asking for those terms. That would do me!!! :-)

‘This is the time of day’ etc, does that mean you have found your cafe/restaurant?

If you are still looking for something suitable, think “Fish and Chip” shop. Dandan and I will be among your first customers!!
    Got to be really good, even excellent tho’! :-)

56. Red Arse says:

Hi DD, :-)

Maybe that’s why my avatar has oscillated between black and blue all day, bit like my arms!! Bloody WordPress! :-)

57. the ghost of glic says:

Great post chas

Favourite ?. Getting up for the Villa FA Cup tie, meeting some AAers and jumping up and down hugging my son when the winner went in after being 2 nil down. Magic moments that will become precious memories , something that cant be bought or taken away from me. :)

58. TotalArsenal says:

Hi RA, it is when I cook for my wife and daughter and look after them like a proper househusband should :D

You are right re Fish and Chips – it can be a licence to print money. Unfortunately, the smell and preparing the fish is very unappealing, but if it means that you and dandan come to visit, I will consider it :)

59. Red Arse says:

TA,

Excellent fresh fish won’t smell, and after a while you will manage and reduce the local unemployment figures by recruiting a fish fryer! A win/win!

My local Chipper smells delicious!! Bit like the award winning women magnet, aka, Glicster!! :-)

60. Red Arse says:

I forgot to say/brag, TA, that I make/bake the most beautiful bread, which slavered with salt free butter and some deeply aromatic coffee has me dribbling (non-football) at the very thought. :-)

61. the "award winning " glic says:

Hey Redders if TA moves to Cornwall and opens a fish and chippie it will be award winning !

Pssst, dont tell him that they hand out award winning certificates like confetti down here though, lets keep it our secret schhhhh. :)

62. TotalArsenal says:

RA, sounds delicious (the bread) :)

My local bakery does very fancy breads called ‘The Field’ and ‘Spotty Wombat’ and I buy their bread twice a week – a total feast for the tongue.

63. the "award winning " glic says:

Bloody Hell Redders are you psychic, Mrs glic has just made her first attempt at making bread and called me down to taste test, back in a while to tell you if it is “award winning”. :)

64. TotalArsenal says:

GliC :) In Cornwall, I have been to award winning toilets, gardens and museums, and I ate award winning pies, fish and chips, bread, ice-cream and sweets. I bet you are all behind this: Gooner Loves Issuing Certificates! :)

65. Red Arse says:

There are a lot worse places to go to, Glic.

My geography is not my strongpoint, but I think Weymouth is in Dorset, but I had an uncle (now sadly deceased) who lived there for a time, and I loved it.

Then I went to Rock in Cornwall, as you know, and just loved the whole deal. It was usually in the ‘off season’ and it made me think that it must have been the way England was like 50 years ago.

I understand the traffic in the summer was more like Piccadilly Circus.

Whereabouts do you live? [be general -- never know which woman is trying to find you!!!!] :-)

66. Red Arse says:

Now you have all come out to play, I have to go!

I can see the men in white coats coming for me, and the give away is the “Rocky Restraints Co.” signs printed on their jackets!

Tomorrow guys!

P.S. Glic, I hope the Mrs’s new baked bread is delicious — I am sure it is, but I am available (for an accountants fee) :-) to give dodgy advice. :-)

67. glic says:

Yes TA, you have sussed me out, Cornwall was never “award winning” untilI moved here ! :).

Redders
    Mrs glic is a great cook and I`m not surprised that her first attempt at bread making was delicious ,Mmmmmm !
    I live near to the village of Lezant ( as you can imagine, I like the Leza bit of Lezant ! :lol: )

68. Gooner In Exile says:

That Chas, sums up what supporting football is all about. Top post….I haven’t watched the vids yet but I remember everyone clear as day.

Thanks you Chas “Video King”. Love this post.

It has to be beating the fools down the road. ive seen a new side to them this week, and i lurrve it. Usualy, at the end of the season there emotions are anger and defiance. Comments like “were closing the gap” or “you lot will be finished soon” are the norm, but this year its different. Bewilderment, shock, disbelief, numbness, confusion, yes its all there. Every single one of them, and i know hundreds, have come out with “cant believe it” or “your shit, were brilliant, yet you still finnished above us”. If you see someone walking down the road, head bowed, Nosferataly pale, muttering to themselves, there probably Totnumb fans.

I intend to write a paper on this pshcological behaviour. My thesis will centre on the premise that years of anger and resentment finaly gives way to resignation and disillusionment. The title will be, “I LURRVE IT”

70. Dear chas

What a truly wonderful idea for a post. I loved all of your choices.

Mashing the spuds after going 2 down was a fantastic day for all sorts of reasons – beating the spuds, coming from 2 down, the weather was amazing, the boy sitting next to me had a hangover and should have gone back to university that morning, was slumped in his seat at the start of the game and practically on the floor at 2 nil down. Mainly it was a day of laughter and screaming – unbelievable.

But when Henry scored the goal against Leeds, that was a wonderful moment. The love and warmth that was in every person that stood and cheered that night at the Emirates was heart stopping. I’d seen Henry score goals before but this goal was filled with love and it exploded as the ball hit the back of the net. The noise was incredible as the Emirates rose to cheer our much loved son – it was as if he was your own flesh and blood – you had to cry. I’ll never forget it.

Thank you for your entertaining videos

peaches xx

71. herbsarmy says:

Thanks Chas,
    Top Post, one that makes every Gooner happy, yes, even me!
    Best memory for me has to be the ‘mashing of the Spuds’. Brilliant!
    And thanks for that appropiately funny clip earlier.
    Hi GiE – I was bemused that you felt the need to apologise. There’s nothing wrong with healthy honest debate as long as it’s done in the right spirit. It keeps the old grey matter ticking over. I don’t disagree with everything you say, and I fully understand that we (Arsenal) are working within strict financial restrictions, I just happen to think our resources could be used more intelligently sometimes.
    You can be quite beligerent at times.

72. Gooner In Exile says:

Regarding Jacks knee I’m gutted but clinging on to feint hope that it’s just a ploy by the club to ensure he doesn’t get picked for the Olympics, from what they say the knee injury is old, if that’s true why didn’t they sort it when the ankle needed fixing. Let’s hope that his size means recovery is not going to take a biomechanics rebuild that has held Diaby back.

As for RvP talks my guess is it went something like this:

AW: What will it take for you to sign
    RvP: More players
    AW: Ivan?
    IG: Errrr…..
    AW: Ivan! We kept some back remember, kept our powder dry?
    IG: Errrrr…..
    RvP: Who we signing boss?
    AW: Ivan!!!! If he goes I go.
    IG: Iniesta, Ronaldo, Messi!
    RvP: Not Ronaldo….now get the other two and I sign.
    AW: Get them or I leave.
    IG: Errrrrrr

73. Gooner In Exile says:

Highlight of the season? Spud Mashing Comeback, Terry flat on his face, Ox’s pass to RvP at home vs ManUre, RvP goal away at Liverpool.

Top I was there moment, Song mazy and cross for RvP vs Dortmund was second only to seeing Pulis get all irate at the Emirates.

74. goonerjake says:

Well Done!

What a good idea for a article. Truly inspired. Their are too many gooners moaning now the season is over about this and that… mainly about being so many points off the top however you choose the right portion. You looked at what was great in the season…. we need more gooners like you positive!! Plus when the new season starts if the crowd is positive this translates to the players and they become more positive.

Im afraid ive done it again though (sorry peaches) I listened into talk sport today. Durham was talking about liverpool and possible new managers (how on earth could he possibly have a dig at my beloved Arsenal.

Well a caller phoned him to say whom he would like to take over from kenny he said Jurgen Klopp of Dortmund to which Durham said ….”no he led Dortmund no where in the champions league … they could nt even beat arsenal” then casualy moved on.

How can he possibly get your arsenal bashing into everything you say you moronic imbecile.

I guess ive only got myself to blame. Which is why i value positive posts such as this one.

Can some one please take all my radios and wipe talksport off the dials… o if it werte only possible.

I know you can say just dont listen but its like when your driving along and slow down to take a look at a accident … wrong YES but somehow hard to stop from rubber necking.

Take care all my fellow gooners.

goonerjake

75. goonerjake says:

Quickly my highlight of the season was a game we lost. The League Cup against City when Nasri tried to sub himself . Poor boy looked like he was going to cry!!! “let me off now these nasty gooners dony like me” Ha serves you right you money grubbing buck toothed goit.

76. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

That goal against Everton was how many months ago….and Tim Howard still hasn’t moved. Absolutely motionless.

I can picture him being carried on to the Everton coacjh horizontally like a cardboard cutout…albeit quite a portly one.

Wot a strike that was ! Right… next vid

Thanks for all the kind words and fantastic comments.
    Apologies if the site has been taking ages to load because of all the video links.
    cheers
    chas

78. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

There’s a kid aged about 6 in the crowd for Benny;s late winner at Villa. That was an evening kick off wasn’t it….on a school night !!

His old man is a legend in my eyes.

Well said Jake…Nasri showed his true colours that night…yellow stripe right down his middle…and now has the temerity to talk shite to us fans of the greatest club the world has ever seen. Dickhead.

goonerjake
    Well said.
    Durham is a twunt.
    Have you tried switching to The Archers?

80. Gooner In Exile says:

I remember when quite young when being taken to Wembley to see England play Holland. My memories:

Seeing Tony Woodcocks name on Scoreboard
    Someone walking in Horse Shit and bringing it on to the Metropolitan Line with them, it’s the smell of a football ground to me

81. Gooner In Exile says:

Just looked it up 1982 I was 6 and Woodcock and Mariner scored.

82. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Jake..those same whinging fans were moaning about how much money the likes of Liverppool Chelsea and the Spuds were spending and that we were going to get left behind and struggle to even get a Europa League place…lol

In your face doomers !!! Is that what young people say nowadays..??

83. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Even back then you were prob stil bigger than I am now. Forthose who don;t know I am baiscally Sylvain Wiltord, height, weight looks …the lot.

And lets just say that GiE is a lot bigger…

Night (*Sharkey running away*)

84. SharkeySure'sGhost says:

Opps ..last words. The post looked good at work with black squares where vids should have been.

Now that I’ve been through them (bar one) its absolutely tremendous work, from the undisputed video king.

The one vid I haven’t watched is the Spud mashing. Too late for that right now. I want to be nice and relaxed, time enough to watch it four or five times, comfy chair….

…and a cigar !!!

85. Rob Lucci says:

There’s a wonderful piece by Tim of 7amkickoff on why finishing in Champion’s League spot is way way more important than winning Fa cup or League cup..

86. Gooner In Exile says:

Wiltord :D altho I’d say you were slimmer Sharkster.

87. oz gunner says:

damn you RA, GLIC, TA and your talk of home made bread!
    When the Mrs cooks it the aroma makes me salivate (i feel like a dog sitting by it sniffing away)! Nothing is better than slapping some butter on it while it’s still warm and putting some polony on top!

@ Sharkespeare 10.32

hahaha very well said

88. oz gunner says:

Sharkespeare after a good victory!

89. Redcore says:

Great Article folks and a great compilation of Videos.

Could not help but compare this article with Le Gr***s season summary a couple of days back which just had a picture of the middle finger sign to represent the entire season.

No matter which team you follow a fan should watch football to hope for enjoy and treasure moments like the ones compiled above. If you can not do that you are better off staying away from football.

Morning Redcore,
    You are so right. I really don’t understand why some on LeGrove bother.

Rob. Thanks for the link. As you say, a fine article.

Oz. Superb! Having met Le Shark I can only say it is an exact likeness.

Morning Raddy,
    Enjoy the mountain air? Are you back in Denmark?

Micky. Did you get kelsey’s email address?

Loved the story of you braving the elements to find reception.

Yes thanks. BR had a wonderful time. But annoyed to have missed what appears to have been a fantastically tense and exciting end to the season

I will be very interested to see where Roy Hodgson plays Ox and I’d also love to know where AW sees his long term position. We know the man himself fancies a central role.

Where do you stand on the CL Final outcome?

Micky,
    Do you want the Ox to play centrally by any chance? :)

I would like to see Bayern to win 7-0.

…… and the spuds to get knocked out in the qualifying round.

Given the personnel at AFC, I would think an AM role is inevitable.

We have strength out wide with Ryo, Pod, Gerv and Theo. Whereas in the AM role we have the old and brittle bones of TR, Diaby and JW (who knows where he will play).

Would a MF line up of Ox, JW and Ramsey be the smallest ever in PL history? Would this line up have enough defensive ability?

BR,
    I liked your ‘retreating up a mountain to get closer to the football’ story immensely, too. :)

chas. You are a hard man. Let the Chavs score. first.

7-1 to BM

I got absolutely drenched! Then sank a bottle of Prosecco.

Wiki has Rambo at 5′ 10″ and the Ox at 5′ 11″ !

BR,
    AM for me too.

Sorry if I interrupted the flow of your conversation, boys.

Did Dennis Bergkamp only ever wear black boots?

Dennis Bergkamp and friends

108. Gooner In Exile says:

For me Ox will be better centrally. But he is a bit like Rooney in a football sense can pretty much play anywhere, but I think Rooney has always been misused by England as an out and out centre forward. The big difference is Ox seems to have his head screwed on off field (the benefit of his Dad being in the game).

The difference with Theo is that I think Ox could play centrally now, as he is physically stronger than others we have had.

How’s this for a starting XI

……………………..Sz……………………..
    ……………………..BFG……………………
    ……………..Koz………..TV………………
    Sagna……..Arteta….Song……Santos
    …………………….Ox……………………….
    ………..,…RvP………..Pod……………..

GiE,
    That is exactly the line up I used in my invincible 3-5-2,other than I had the more mobile Vertonghen in for the German.

110. evonne says:

Morning
    I never thought I’d find myself cheering for Germans. Come you Bayern!!! I want Spuds out of Europe, but could just not bear Chelsea celebrations. I want my cake and eat it!!

111. Gooner In Exile says:

Anyone see Viera’s comments.

He is out saying we should have settled the deal with RvP a long time ago….problem is, can you imagine the reaction if we had extended RvPs contract when he was spending another month or two on the medical table? Well we can just look at the reaction to any contract extensions for Diaby I guess.

Off for the day. Bye.

113. evonne says:

Raddy – I remember the pains I went through to watch the Barcelona game in March 2010. After 4 hour implant surgery at the dentist, with my mouth full of blood, swallen to the eyeballs, in pain I ran to my brothers house like I never ran before. I got there in time, but blacked out for a moment :) They were all scared for me, but I was petrified I would miss the game. What an idiot :)

114. Gooner In Exile says:

Micky I like BFG, just for his organisation and reading of the game, and distribution from the back.

If RvP stays we are starting to get the makings of a really good spine.

11v11 first choice players we can beat anyone. 16v16 (when subs are looked at ) we are weaker than City, but I’m not sure if we are any weaker than United, Chavs or Spuds when you scratch beneath the surface.

I’ve got a couple of posts planned to compare us to other squads, as football fans we focus so much on our own navels without truly comparing to others.

115. Gooner In Exile says:

:D Evonne

116. evonne says:

GiE – I’ve read somewhere that Shitty have to get rid off almost 40 players out of 73 this summer to comply with the FFP. Big sell off at Etihad? Buy one get one free, or 3 for the price of 2?

117. Gooner In Exile says:

Wow Evonne that’s a big number, I guess Santa Cruz, Adebayor, and others who have left on loan are part of that number.

But proves my point about navel gazing as we have 34 players apparently (when all return ).

118. Gooner In Exile says:

So who would we take?

Adam Johnson, Carlos Tevez, Edin Dzeko.

That’ll do, oh and bring Kolo home to the club he loves :)

I would take De Jong

evonne. I didn’t like reading that ….. I am due to have 4 implants next year!

120. evonne says:

Yes, let’s get Tevez. Dzeko? not sure. I thought he was such a hot signing and then nothing. Until last week, he hardly played so I guess Mancini had seen something during training and decided to seat him on the bench next to fatso

121. Gooner In Exile says:

Have just looked at City’s website, according to them their first team squad is 35 players including loanees. They will (like us) need to sell before buying to balance the FFP books. Unlike us they will be looking for big money to recoup what was initially spent whereas our self raised players can be sold on a free if necessary without affecting FFP.

122. evonne says:

Raddy – no gain without pain :) My sinuses were very low, hence the lenghty op. The second implant was much easier and it’s almost done. Marvellous invention, feels and looks like your own teeth, can chew through a tennis racket with them :)

GIE. I am not so sure MC will want big money.

In order to compete at the top they will have to buy this summer. Their wage structure will prohibit potential buyers so they will be forced to sell at a discount.

Or am I missing the point?

124. Gooner In Exile says:

Raddy i guess it depends on the implementation of FFP

As far as I understand it contracts prior to last season don’t count. However if they can make a profit on players they would boost the FFP coffers (I think).

It’s all up in the air until we see what happens with UEFA tests.

You may be right and the wage bill would be of primary concern, but if we have trouble shifting players on good contracts and wages what chance City with some of their figures?

125. TotalArsenal says:

Morning AA’ers

No Tevez for me please but De Jong and Johnson yes and yes. :)

We won’t be able to get him, but I watched Pirlo the other day playing for Juventus against Novara, and it would be brilliant to have him at Arsenal for one or two years to show the likes of Ramsey and Wilshere how to orchestrate play from midfield. It was an absolute masterclass.

Oz, that’s a great picture of Sharkey – he really is that cool, you know! :)

New Post ……………..