Traffic Update : Parked Bus causes congestion in N5

At the final whistle Arsène turned to shake Di Matteo’s hand and you could feel the disdain, as has been commented many times before Arsène is an artisan, he expects both teams to at least try to win the game, Chelsea to his surprise didn’t or at least didn’t try by playing attacking football. Why it was a surprise I am not so sure, Chelsea have a history of coming to our place shutting up shop and trying to nick a goal on the counter.

Chelsea set up in what Sky ambitiously called a 4-3-3 but which the watching audience could see was a more pragmatic bus shaped formation last seen employed at the Bridge against Barca it was simply a case of driving it to the home of football, changing some wheels to preserve tyres before its long journey to the Camp Nou on Tuesday night to be positioned somewhere around the penalty spot. Thankfully they were without Drogba, so often a thorn in the Arsenal side, which meant that they used the unhappy Torres up front in the lone striker role, or in this particular formation the most advanced defender.

The game started slowly, Arsenal dominating possession as Chelsea dropped into their formation, conserving energy for any counter attacks and looking to put bodies in the way of all passing channels. On a couple of occasions in the early stages sloppy play from Ramsey and Song led to us losing possession deep in our third and gave Chelsea the encouragement to attack, solid defending by Vermaelen, Koscielny and Szczesny prevented any real danger.

The first clear cut chance fell to Arsenal, and Robin Van Persie, Theo providing a whipped in cross from a free kick that Vermaelen and Van Persie raced to meet, Robin won the race but could not find the back of the net with his touch. Had this goal gone in I think we would have seen a very different game. With the way Chelsea had set up it was imperative that we found an early goal which would surely have brought them out of their half a bit more.

Another chance from a set piece found Koscielny unmarked on the penalty spot, he flicked Van Persie’s delivery goal wards but it came back off the bar with no-one following in.

The half played out with only one more clear chance in front of goal, Song picking out Van Persie with a delightful chipped pass into the 18 yard box, Robin found space but could only fire his volley straight at the onrushing Cech.

The only other meaningful attack was a counter from a Chelsea corner, the ball eventually made its way to Oxlade-Chamberlain after some quick passing through the team from defence to attack but Bosingwa managed to recover and put the Ox in two minds as to whether he should drive for the box or cut back to find another pass, he chose the latter and Bosingwa read it well and managed to break the momentum and allow his teammates to get back.

Overall we lacked width, Sagna and Gibbs were clearly conservative, concerned that the pace of Kalou and Sturridge would be dangerous if they were caught upfield. Oxlade – Chamberlain was moving infield to find possession, and Theo was getting swamped whenever he got possession, and he had few passing options when he did have possession.

The second half started in a similar pattern to the first, Arsenal a bit sloppy in possession and almost trying to give Chelsea some encouragement to attack more to then give us more space, any danger was quickly averted by good solid defending on our part.

More chances came and went for Robin, the best of which saw him cut back twice before seeing his eventual shot blocked.

Gervinho, Santos and Diaby were all thrown into the action to try and find us a new dimension, Gervinho’s movement caused more concern to the static Chelsea defence, but they just pulled more midfielders into the back line to cope. Both Diaby and Santos retained possession better and tried to find some killer balls but to no avail.

Robin was also denied a penalty, a victim of recent refereeing blunders or too soft to be a penalty? For me Cahill puts his hands in Robin’s back and anywhere else on the pitch thats a free kick, also if an attacker does that to a defender in the box its a free kick, for some reason referees seem to believe that it has to be a bit more of a foul to be a penalty.

Another point earned on the way to Champions League qualification, a point made better by Spurs demise at Loftus Road. Three points would have been better but it wasn’t to be, several players are running on empty, and I wonder if rather than Podolski we need to find ourselves a 6ft 4 battering ram to throw on in games like this for the last ten to fifteen minutes.

Ratings

Szczesny – 7.5 – Strong commanding presence as we have come to expect from our Pole in Goal. Quick to arrive at a couple of dangerous counters, good handling and a couple of solid saves.

Gibbs – 7.5 – Showed what a good engine he has, up and down the flank, and kept Sturridge quiet all afternoon

Vermaelen – 7.5 – Solid performance from our number 5, good in the air, quick across ground and quick in the tackle.

Koscielny – 8 – A number of good blocks and saving tackles, unlucky not to score, brought possession out of our half well.

Sagna – 6.5 - Not the best game from Mr Reliable, didn’t seem to have the energy to get up and down as much as normal (suffering from his lay off with the broken leg?)

Song – 7.5 - Slow start (which seems to be part of his makeup) but eventually bossed the midfield area, and almost chalked up another assist with some through balls to Robin.

Ramsey – 6.5 – Our young welshman is struggling at the moment, but there is only one place you can recover your form and thats on the pitch, he doesn’t hide and towards the end of the game as he was pushed further up the pitch was beginning to produce more threat with attacking passes (especially when assisted by Santos and Gervinho and their movement).

Rosicky – 7 - An off day for the in form Czech but it was made clear that he has been suffering from illness this week.

Oxlade-Chamberlain – 6.5 – Hopefully some of the over exuberance about this young talent will start to ease now, he will undoubtedly be a talent in the future but he is still young and yesterday struggled to impose himself on the wily old fox Bosingwa.

Walcott – 7 – Struggled to find room to operate, lacked the support of Sagna which he needs to thrive. Unfortunately we won’t see Theo again until next season after pulling up with what looked like a hamstring pull.

VanPersie – 7 – An off day from the skipper, he had enough chances (half and better) to win us the game but failed to find his scoring boots today, kept getting on the end of through balls and crosses.

Subs:

Gervinho – 7.5 – Showed good movement played some good one touch pass and moves, was key in creating the chances towards the end of the game.

Diaby – 7 – Some touches and passes to remind us what he is capable of, a couple of tackles. He should probably get a 10 for coming through unscathed.

Santos – 7.5 - Would have raised a few eyebrows coming on in the attacking half of the pitch, but he has that side to his game and tried to find the passes to unlock the game.

Written by Gooner in Exile

180 Responses to Traffic Update : Parked Bus causes congestion in N5

Thanks GiE, it was a game to divide support in terms of the performance of the team and individuals.

Player ratings are subjective, I would have given SZ a 9 as he hardly put a foot wrong and was quick to come out and snuff out the ball over the top. I would also have only given Song 6.5. He was poor in the first half and as you say he improved in the 2nd, but a player of his experience should be super reliable in our midfield by now, and taking the pressure off of Ramsey.

Ramsey was very poor in the first half, I never saw him break out of a trot, he was ponderous on the ball, negative in his passing and his movement was limited and seldom forward. He improved no end in the 2nd half particularly when Diaby came on. I think the problem is that he thinks he has to be the main man in the midfield and when Diaby arrived that pressure was taken off his shoulders and he played with more freedom. The manager (not just the crowd) is expecting too much too soon from Ramsey.

It was ridiculous to leave Theo on, he should have been subbed when he firtst pulled up and was holding his hamstring – when will we ever learn?

We have to be very careful, with contracts not signed, the loss of our most effective midfielder, and the goals dryting up, these next 3 games could be very difficult.

One thing the game highlighted for me is that we need a playmaker in midfield. Song produces the odd brilliant assist but we need someone with the vision and ability to pull the strings and focus our attacking play.

2. Gooner In Exile says:

Rasp on player ratings you are right it’s subjective. As a start mine is 7 for an as expected solid performance. (doing what is expected of you like). So whilst Szczesny didn’t put a fit wrong he also wasn’t called upon to be exceptional….which means the keeper has to be very busy to get high marks.

And anyway Kozzer was my MotM and he was worth no more than 8 so I set the rest from there.

As for Rambo being better, it was as much better movement ahead of him and outside him, but I agree Diaby seemed to bring better out of him.

3. Keka says:

I agree tha Chelsea didn’t show much ambition, but that was because they lacked the players for that. If Sturridge played just a bit better in the final third, Chelsea would’ve had much more chances than Arsenal and had a fair amount of possession.

4. Gooner In Exile says:

Apparently Theo asked to stay on but when hepulked up Wenger turned round and glared at Mr Lewin

Hi GiE, yes I’m sorry, I forgot to mention that kozzer was excellent. For smudger to give MotM to their debutante LB just because he’d coped was ridiculous. Kozzer was head and shoulders the best payer on the pitch and even bailed TV out a couple of times.

6. tony barr says:

Have you looked at the match stats, Chelsea had more possession, the same number of attempts on goal and in terms of the penalty claims …straw clutching. Arsenal must be v careful they don’t finish fourth as Newcastle have really hit a purple patch, if the “bus parkers” actually win the Champs League.

7. CB says:

8. TotalArsenal says:

GiE in previous post:

‘I also looked at Rambo yesterday and whilst I agree with most that his first half was poor I’m not sure it deserved the audible groans coming loud and clear from the ground. And he got slower and more cagey.

He made a good pass and got a round of applause and suddenly he looked brighter again.

I know I don’t do my best work when the clients are unreceptive to ideas or question my methods.’

CB at 11.15:

‘I thought Ramsey did well, I was at the match and spent time looking at his contribution. Covered a lot of the pitch and was involved a lot. 97% pass completion, so did an Arteta type job well. Only rider was giving the ball away in the challenge (twice?) but Arteta also has done that in matches.

My opinion is that he is the current boo-boy but is doing very well for a 21 year old who is still learning his trade. Glad to hear encouragement at the Emirates when he did good things.’

That’s what I call supporters! :) :)

Excellent. GIE.
    Almost exactly as I saw it.

Regarding the match stats, we couldn’t believe the chavs had had 11 attempts at half time which is what the ones broadcast on the big screens said after 45 minutes. We could barely remember one. I still don’t understand why the didn’t go for the 3 points as one was very little use to them.

Chelsea team formation

One of the things we commented on was Robin’s body language. We couldn’t work out if he was not very interested or just worn out after his longest season ever. A lot of this wouldn’t have been seen watching on television, so I thought it was worth mentioning.

…why they didn’t go for the 3 points….

My main gripe with the midfield is that they move the ball forward so slowly and Ramsey is certainly part of that scenario. Diaby made an immediate impact as he drove play forwards. Great players know the pass they’re going to make before they receive the ball, I don’t think Ramsey is at that stage yet.

I hope AW is as frustrated as I am that we slow things down with short lateral passes (and often back to the CB’s) and give the opposition time and spoace to from ranks behind the ball.

We had one fantastic breakaway attack when the Ox fluffed his lines unfortunately. The downside of our style of methodical build up is that we slowly compress all our players in a narrow band across the pitch and are vulnerable to the ball over the top and being hit on the break. If it wasn’t for the pace and quality of koz and TV we would have conceded many more goals that way this season.

12. Gooner In Exile says:

Tony are you referring to the BBC stats? They are unreliable to say the least:

Sky stats:

56.6% plays 43.4%

BBC somehow says:

49% plays 51%

And if you watched the Arsenal v ManCity game the following stats were given:

Sky: 64.3% plays 35.7%
    BBC: 58% plays 42%

So in short choose which stats suit, personally I watched the game with my own eyes and didn’t refer to either stats when writing this report, it is true and if you think it isn’t then enjoy eating the sand.

One of the worst comments from the w*nker alongside me was, ‘Every time, Ramsey’. This was when he got caught in possession with virtually his first touch of the match.

Just imagine watching the game with such ridiculous anti-Arsenal player sentiments going through your mind. Every tiny thing will be magnified to the point where, even if the lad had a stormer, you would still only see the bad bits. I’d rather not go if my matchday experience was going to be like that.

Rasp and Peaches,

I’m going to volunteer to do a ‘view from the terraces’ match report on the Stoke game next weekend.

At least you won’t have to nag for one. :)

15. TotalArsenal says:

GiE: great match report. I am impressed you can write one which such depth and sharp observations in just 1.5 hours time- it takes me easily double that amount of time to get anywhere near that level of quality. :)

Fully agree with your ratings. Our defence did well and Koz was indeed MotM, and Song was not far away again. We won the midfield battles and both Song and Rambo performed well in that aspect. We struggled again to attack from midfield but you are right; it could have been a very different game if one of our very decent chances had gone in, especially from the set-pieces.

In the second part of the second half we got a bit cagey as the prospect of conceding a late winner by the Chavs was weighing more and more on our players’ minds.

Fully agree with your assessment of Gervinho and we need him and the Ox to step up in the next games to help us pull through.

In the end it all worked out well for us. We kept the Chavs at bay, the Spuds re-mashed themselves and the Barcodes are the only team that reduced the gap, but then they are the ones who have the toughest games ahead.

I agree with RurP earlier comment today; I am also looking fwd to the season being over and the CL spot in the bag, although I will miss the club football badly over the summer.

16. Michael Gregory says:

Chelsea had to park the bus.They had to do that and play on the counter. Wenger must be naive to expect every team to play to his way and into his game plan.
    That is why Arsenal will continue to lose to teams like Wigan who packed the md.And that is why Wenger was deluded and naive to think he could attack at OT and lost 8-2. Have areality check. If he had played the way Chelsea,perhaps the gunners could have lost 4-0.5-1. 8-2 was unbleievable and shows tactically he is not shrewd enough to know his limits.
    Next stop Stoke. Having lost 3-0,Pulis will be in no mood to give the gunners free rein to their attacking prowess. He will tell his players to deny the gunners time and space.

17. Gooner In Exile says:

Thanks TA.

Michael Gregory as I said I have no idea why Wenger thought it would be any different, earlier on in the season teams thought we were there for the taking and tried to attack us, they then paid heavily for such desire. In a way we are a victim of our recent success in that teams like Chelsea are back to trying to nick one and defend. I also suggested that it is because he is an artisan. The PL is one place where settling for a point is acceptable. It makes for very dull football. As for United away, are you suggesting that losing 5-0 is a better result than losing 8-2?

Thanks chas, you’re booked in for that one :P

Michael Gregory,

Who said Wenger expected Chelsea ‘to play to his way and into his game plan’?
    Chelsea needed more than one point. Parking the bus didn’t help them achieve 3 points. It’s pretty simple.

One of the phrases I detest the most on the internet is, ‘wake up and smell the coffee’, as if to say, if you don’t think exactly like me, start digging out the Leonard Cohen records and sharpen up the cut-throat razor, you must be an idiot.

Bye again.

21. Gooner In Exile says:

Chas I feel your pain having to sit next to a moaning fan, at least on the terraces you could move at half time….and I agree it can sway your perception of the game. For me I just pity them.

Re Robin I think tiredness (and he is wearing undershorts and I’ve seen him feel his groin a couple of times so I guess playing through an injury) and a bit of feeling isolated in attack yesterday. I’m not sure we should worry yet and I’m glad he was quick to come out and discuss his visit to Barcas hotel. Would he have been if he hadn’t been seen who knows, but it’s or like he was going in through the back door, as he says sitting in reception in an Arsenal track suit is hardly conducive to negotiations.

There seems to be a lot of worry over Song and Theo signing new deals, but I’m sure they’ve got 2 years to run. But it would be nice to settle it now.

Rasp I share your thoughts over speed of pass, but in game’s where the opposition don’t commit men forward the only thing to open them up is a magician and they are few and far between.

22. James says:

You should try stepping out of arsenal world hanging on to every word mr burns speaks. There was only one penalty incident worthy in the game and that was the challenge of Sagna on Bertrand in the first half but in typical arsenal fashion you probably didn’t see it. Chances were rare and your best came from set pieces. Fortunately for you we have a hectic schedule hence the selections the selections of kalou, sturridge

23. Gooner In Exile says:

Actually James are you sure you watched the match?

The best penalty shout you had was when Song cut across Torres, no one (commentators, media, even Jamie Redknapp) felt that Sagna outmuscling Bertrand was a penalty at most it was obstruction and an indirect free kick, but if you get a foul for running into the back of someone we wouldn’t have much of a game of football would we?

Hi GiE, with a heritage of Dennis and Cesc, we are used to having a magician in midfield :) Unfortunately we cannot afford a ready-made one (Goetze, Hazzard) so I’d settle for a midfield enforcer (M’Vila?) and give Jack and Aaron time to develop.

25. James says:

What! Running into the back of someone is not a foul. Saga was the wrong side of Bertrand. If any challenge was deemed to be off-struction then that would be the song challenge even though it was a nothing incident. If you are to take Jamie redknapps analysis as anything then we are all in trouble!

26. robbinURpersie says:

tip top match report GIE,

just for the record…I WANT CARLOS VELA BACK WITH US LONG TERM!!

He is on fire, and would definately be handy for cup games and CL round robins…The boy has our style game and when he did play for us he had more positive impacts than negative…and he can play out wide left ;-)

James, all this is academic. If chelski wanted to have a chance of top 4 they needed to win yesterday – in fact a win in the game was more important to you than us.

But your manager (probably on instructions from above) chose to put out 2nd string players and to use the same gameplan as worked against Barca by defending deep and stifling the game with the hope of nicking a goal on the break.

It didn’t work and created a game that was poor entertainment and did the premiership no credit.

28. James says:

Chelsea had several good opportunities in the final third but unfortunately these kept falling to sturridge and kalou who passed to red shirts rather than blue. Mata from the start and Ramirez wouldn’t have been so kind.

29. Gooner In Exile says:

James you don’t get sarcasm do you…..”even Jamie Redknapp” because if anyone likes to ramp up controversy it is he. I don’t think much of the commentary from him at all.

Johnothan Pearce on MotD, “Di Matteo seems upset, but when he sees it back later he will realise its no penalty”. Bertrand ran into Sagnas back, Sagna was ball side (the right side). Song doesn’t try to play the ball and runs across Torres and barges him to the floor. But hey go and whinge on a Chelsea blog, if there are any….

30. robbinURpersie says:

i said on the day they signed him up that Jelavic would be the best bit of business all yr, so far only cisse has had a bigger impact…

everton 1- manure 0

31. James says:

Don’t worry there are plenty. But like on here every is blinkered.

32. robbinURpersie says:

i like my blinkers spank you very much

33. James – what are you upset about exactly? That di Matteo played a team to stifle the game and it worked or that the team he put out should have beaten us anyway?

All supporters are entitled to be blinkered at various points in the season, if van Persie was in form you would have got well beaten yesterday ……….. ;)

34. James says:

Robbinurpersie – quality

35. James says:

If the queen had cajones she would be the king!

36. Gooner In Exile says:

RurP – interesting on Vela….not sure he was the 6ft 4 battering ram I had in mind :D

James, who do you think will be your manager next season if you don’t win the CL?

38. James says:

God knows. The champions league might not even be enough for rdm. Things could be in place from the moment avb left leaving rdm with no chance. I would personally like to see rdm in charge with Zola coming back in some capacity.

39. SharkeySure says:

Very good write up Big Fella.

On another day we get three points from yesterday, we certainly had the chances. Real shame cos those three points would have almost guaranteed at least 4th

I agree with those who suggest that this group of players are more conscious of not getting caught out at the back. That’s a good thing in my book.

After our game I suggested that we were better for having the points in the bag, then the Totts went and proved my point. Shame Newcastle didn’t – but they still have some pretty big fish to reel in if they are to catch us.

That’s good to hear James. RDM is a good man and should be given the chance. Your team has had far too many managers since RA bought the club and I suspect his ego/interference is the main reason. Getting rid of Ancelotti was madness surely?

41. TotalArsenal says:

What is the best thing left for Barca? Beat Madrid in the CL final.

Will they be focussed on that? Oh hell, they will.

Whose in the way to get to the final? The bus parking Chavs.

Will they get spanked? Oh hell, they will. 5-1 –> Cannot wait! :)

Will the Chavs’ season implode after that? Very likely :lol:

Thanks for the report GIE, I usually agree with your general assessments but I take a different point of view to many on here.
    Rasp, this is not personel but if you look at the stats both teams had more or less equal, possession, shots on and off target, corners and fouls.

Kos was to some man of the match but in general the defence played well. Maybe Arteta is a bigger loss than I thought, but for all the jinking shown by Walcott (who again was average) and gervinho, it all looked to me that the instructions are regardless of the opportunity the ball must be played to RVP who should have scored with his first attempt and the other 4 chances were not so easy and he is human and i agree that he is either jaded or carrying a niggle,but why are playing a system which is always so predictable. Why can’t gervinho, or Walcott or even ramsey try a shot more often. If vermaelen played more forward he would be more effectual.
    We are a long way off despite a great comeback after a dreadful start this season, not helped by injuries but now the pressure is on to gain at least 5 or 6 points to secure third.
    I know we have a limited budget,but looking at RVP’s face at the end, I thought he was thinking, “why is it always down to me”.
    I have said it many times this season as to which team will turn up on the day.
    Why was chamakh on the bench ?. only in case RVP got injured, as the manager has obviously decided not to play him and Park remains a mystery.
    It was a poor game with wayward passing by both sides and hopefully we will secure CL qualification, but we are short of quality in attack and in midfield.
    to me diaby wasn’t influential, but at least got through his cameo role,but again wasn’t a player on the day to change the game.
    10 losses this season and a terrible record of conceding goals,shows to me at least that we are a long way off.
    Please prove me wrong with wiltshere back next season but don’t count your breath that RVP will stick around as the much mooted Podolski maybe his replacement, though i hope they both play together.
    Santos i am always told,being brazilian has a natural instinct to attack, and in fact he does it well but gibbs is better at defending,but injury prone, so that is another are to lok into.
    This is difficult to write as i am a realist and am not surprised at our recent two losses.
    Wenger must change his tactics.we are far too predictable, though i doubt he will.4-4-2 for me is a better option IMO

43. Red Arse says:

A good reliable report, GIE, proving, if it was necessary, that you are worth your weight in gold when everyone else is a bit shell shocked.

No one has asked me, BUT,

— It was a dire game.
    — We did not have the creativity to counter the crap Chav tactics.
    — Sorry GIE, but some ratings were far too generous.
    — RVP looks physically spent, very ponderous and needs a break.
    — Why is Chamakh on the bench?
    — Allegedly, AW wanted Theo off. He chose to stay on. What????
    — The slow, lateral passing is killing us.

There’s more — but in fairness, no one asked me!! :-)

We will win the next three games. Of course, if we don’t we will not deserve 3rd place.

Yours, sincerely,

Disappointed of AA

44. robbinURpersie says:

GiE :-)

Velas’ goal scoring record compared to a battering ram like Andy Carol is childs play, vela plays in a relegation battling team and even though the league may arguably be weaker than the EPL he still puts em away against the big boys like barca etc

and im sure his cheaper by the kilo

he has CL experience… and this latest loan spell is doing his confidence wonders and hes developed physically with at least 5-8kg put on (so hes no more a mosquito ;-)..his pace is still there, and i dare say that his technical skills are as good as walcotts or gerv..

i just question the desire and belief especially when you look up and RVP is in your way and the system at best gives you 10-15min

wouldnt be suprised if Wenger has the corner of his eye on his lost toy..in any case his form should be acknowledged in any potential transfer, quite frankly he is up there with the best this season..(who is diego milito? get wot i mean ;-) )

by the way, im sure that when you said battering ram, the last person you were thinking of was Andy Carol? ;-)

45. Slimgingergooner says:

I thought Ramsey was poor yesterday until the last 10 minutes when he seemed to find his range.

His distribution was pretty dreadful, but his chasing was excellent and he made up for the majority of his mistakes by winning the ball back. Unfortunately, thats not really what you want from a playmaker!

Theres no doubt that he has the passing range and composure neede to be a quality player, but he needs to take a leaf out of Arteta’s book and learn when to be looking for the wonder pass and when to just be nudging the ball on.

I would have given him a 5 yesterday for his effort, if nothing else.

As for Chelsea, i just dont understand how a point is of any value to them! Im still bamboozled by their tactics.

46. robbinURpersie says:

Total @1.44pm,

i can Not see it any other way..lol :-)

Hi kelsey,

I think you are attributing a comment from someone else to me in your @ 1:52, I haven’t been discussing possession stats etc

48. robbinURpersie says:

4-3 for manure with 8min to go..everton for the comeback? yes please, that would be hillarious

Now manure v toffees is how a game should be played :roll: 4 all!!!

50. robbinURpersie says:

THEYVE DONE IT….WHAT A PREDICTION..its 4-4 Amazing game when the ref doesnt interfere!! ;-)

Fergie not happy…hahahhahahhahha

GIE Thanks.

I agree almost entirely.

Good to read James even if I don’t agree with his viewpoint. But then I wouldn’t. To begin with, Kalou is a fine player wasted at SB, he would flourish at a club without Drogba or Torres. Torres the same, put him alongside RvP and we would win the league. And Sturridge is an England International.

Saying they hadn’t the right players to attack is not true.

Furthermore, anyone watching the game saw Chelsea playing with 10 men in their own half for most of the game.

I hope they get hammered in Barca. If only to show that anti-football doesn’t pay (unless managed by Jose)

52. robbinURpersie says:

5min fergie time…why does that not suprise me?

53. Gooner In Exile says:

Couldn’t have someone told me the game was getting interesting, for some reason i chose to watch F1….damn!

54. robbinURpersie says:

damn, i missed F1, forgot all about it..who won?

55. robbinURpersie says:

the Title race is back on Mancini..

56. robbinURpersie says:

theyre still racing, 7 laps to go? is it live GIE?

57. Gooner In Exile says:

Wow see the United fans streaming for the exit….no glory glory today then? Please tell me it was a De Gea mistake or two, or Phil Jones, or even Johnny Evans.

Thanks RA, Raddy and Kelsey. Just goes to show three regular bloggers can have such a different view on the same game we all watched. Don’t you just love football.

58. Gooner In Exile says:

Still on RurP its between Vettel and Raikkonnen

59. Gooner In Exile says:

Its all been about the tyres (and more dodgy McLaren pitstops)

It’s great that ManUre have dropped more points. We really need Citeh to be still in with a shout at the title when they play Toon.

61. Gooner In Exile says:

Fellaini……..discuss

62. robbinURpersie says:

bad day at the office for our boys…retiring button with a lap to go so they can change the gear box without a penalty..the track doesnt suit mclarens set up…dont like bahrain, the track doesnt excite me

63. robbinURpersie says:

Fellaini= fantastic, hes a bull, if i had a choice id have him on our side before having him play against us..big impact on the result today

Good report GiE
    I was really concerned in the run-up to yesterday’s game. I had a feeling we’d be a bit off and as soon as we started I could see that we were.

There was a mix of hesitancy and sloppiness to our play. I have no idea why. The starting 11 seemed pretty strong. But the Chavs were much slicker than us for the opening half hour and I felt we were lucky not to have conceded a goal on one of their breaks.

In fairness we perked up for the last 10 minutes of the first half and certainly made the best chances.

I didn’t get to see the second half until much later. Again I thought the Chavs started better, but this time their dominance only last 10 minutes or so before we resumed control.

Overall we were a bit flat and uninventive but still did enough to have won the game. A month ago one of those late chances would have gone in.

Full credit to the Chavs. When we made 8 changes a year (or two?) ago against Wigan (I think) we failed to win and everyone slaughtered AW for making so many changes. The Chavs did it and played just fine. It shows it’s not the principle of making multiple changes that’s wrong, just the execution.

I feel we’re on a bit of a knife edge for this run-in and, right now, we could tip either way – a smooth, three-win finish, or a really bad collapse.

Nervy times.

65. robbinURpersie says:

and the tackle fellaini made in the dying minutes was not a foul..but you’d expect a desicion like that to go in manures favour at old toilet..

66. Big Daddy says:

RL. 2 wins will be enough. But our 2 away games are tough. Hodgson always does well against us and the Orcs…….

Bloody typical watched a dull F1 and missed an exciting game. I turned over at 20 minutes and it was 0-0 so I thought – I watched enough boring football yesterday and went to the F1.

Must be the first time this century Everton have scored 4 away!

67. Gooner In Exile says:

I just watched the second half goals RurP as you say Fellaini was involved in all. At 24 he is coming into prime years, Belgian so knows TV5? Could be useful in midfield as he knows Arteta, and could be used in physical games instead or alongside Song…especially as Song could be off to African Nations next season (if Cameroon qualify this time).

I don’t know why but I would still like to see a more robust ability in some of our players rather than being all about creativity.

68. Big Daddy says:

Fellaini has no pace. Decent player but inconsistent which may be due to his youth.

69. Big Daddy says:

Dzeko is out of favor. He could be good.

70. goonermichael says:

Robbin
    Vele doesn’t want to come back. Piissing myself at all the presstwats wanking about united and shrek when the mancs were 4-2 up

71. TotalArsenal says:

Hi Slim,

Ramsey did not play in the Playmaker role – Rosicky did. Ramsey and Song were our defensive midfield wall, with the aim to break up and redistribute.

You also said: ‘but he [Ramsey] needs to take a leaf out of Arteta’s book and learn when to be looking for the wonder pass and when to just be nudging the ball on.’

Well, he ‘nudged the ball on’ quite well if we can believe CB’s earlier comment that Ramsey had 97% pass completion. So, he did that part quite well. Both Ramsey and Song produced a number of fine ‘wonder passes’ during the game. I mention them both because they play as a partnership in our system. The bit that I cannot agree with is the idea that Arteta knows how to balance nudging on with wonder passes on a regular basis. He managed 3 assists in 37 games this season, which tells me ‘wonder balls’ have been part of his repertoire this season, and that he is not a Playmaker either.

72. TotalArsenal says:

*wonder balls have NOT been part of his repertoire*

73. Hello fellow academics, thanks for the match report GIE, I was planning on watching the game when I got back from work yesterday having recorded it, but some bastard informed me of our goalfest win !, so I deleted it to save myself committing suicide.

Oh well, it`s getting rather interesting isn`t it, as gm said yesterday, ” we would really have to f**k up to lose 3rd “, are we capable of f**king it up ?, who knows ?. Well I know, from my advantage view point of behind the settee, I knew we were going to get hammered at the Bridge, I knew the scum would wipe our Arse at THOF, I knew we would beat both QPR (A) and Wigan (H). I look at the run ins and think we`re all capable of ” f**k up`s but I wouldn`t change our position or games for any of their`s. I only thought we would get 5th or 6th this season, so well done Arsene.
    I had Sunday Lunch at the Fingle Bridge Inn earlier and I`m full up, It`s a beautiful spot ( ask Micky or google images ), I wish I owned the place, it`s right on the river Teign and you can walk to Castle Drogo ( sounds like a Bond villain ). The bit I personally like, is that you can take your dog inside and let it sit there whilst you eat you lunch, Do i here disapprovals, ” what if your dog cocks it`s leg or even Peter Crouche`s down and has a dump “, Well all the dogs i know do their business outside, My dog Max is so clever he comes and sits in front of me puts his paw on my leg and says, ” Dad I need a shit ” !.

74. Pogygooner says:

Ramsey needs to get his act together he is no Ineista or Fabregas he is constantly being dis lodged of the ball through his dilly dallying!He makes our attack toothless!Van Persie doesn’t look happy when he plays with Ramsey ! I know this blog is so Pro Ramsey judging from all the comments I have read ! Fabrigas was 16 / 17 when he broke into the first team and was impressive and Ramsey is 21 and is no spring chicken in football!

Excellent match report GIE, loved the title, sums the game up perfectly, Chelsea came for the draw and got what they wanted.

I wouldn’t have given the MOTM to Koscielny even though I agree he had a good game, the reason why was that he made some really poor passes that not only didn’t find their man they went miles astray.

The person who got my MOTM was the very unlikely person in the form of Gibbs. As my memory serves he was nigh on faultless, he defended superbly and worked that left wing extremely well.

Just in and seen scores. Great news for us with City needing to be in with a shout when they play Newcastle.
    Right. Post.

Arsenal v Chelsea

The sky was blue, the grass was green and Ramsey was poor, these are facts.

I have argued on here so much how Ramsey and Wilshere are very different only to have to deal with comments like: they are both young, extremely talented and can play any where in the midfield.

Well, for all those who argued against what I was saying I hope you now realise that that is not true.

Ramsey can not play the defensive playmaker, the Arteta role if you like.

Don’t try and blame the fans for getting on his back, he brought what he got on himself, just look at how his fellow team mates yelled at him when he got caught in possession and that happened far more than it should have.

Ramsey can play in the hole.

Wilshere can play the Arteta role.

I told you that was the case with Ramsey, you will soon learn that is the case with Wilshere.

Pogygooner

Great name by the way, not everyone on here feels the need to pretend Ramsey had a good game when he didn’t.

The other thing that no one has had the balls to say is that we were far more effective when Santos came on for the Ox.

Fact.

80. Micky,
    I was at the Half Moon , Sheepwash yesterday , anywhere near you ?

Unsurprisingly, i disagree LB.

Until we have seen how AW prposes to play the two together no-one can know who will take which role.

And we are discussing two players who are at the start of their careers.

Furthermore, the sky was blue, the grass was green are facts. Ramsey was poor is opinion ;-)

No arguing about the ineffectiveness of O-C. But how else does he get experience?

83. Gooner In Exile says:

Pogy a couple of things, there is no blog agenda, there are many different points of view from both commenters and authors. I don’t think many will disagree with your opinion on Ramsey during yesterday’s game. Some have pointed to the 97% pass completion I also understand his long passes were 5 or 6 all completed successfully. The stat that some haven’t used is that he was dispossessed 6 times due to that dilly dallying.

However I think the prevailing spirit of this blog is we try (in the main) to remain supportive of the good ship Arsenal and all that sail in her. We understand that occasionally they hurt us with silly results and performances. But in the main they give us some of the biggest highs we experience second only to getting married or the birth of our children.

It is that spirit that causes most of us to back a player when others are writing them off as deadwood or not good enough. And is anyone comparing him to Cesc the boy was a genius at 16/17. That player for us is Wilshere. If everyone was compared to Cesc at that age we would be writing off the Ox probably Jack too.

That said Rambo has as many goals and assists as Cesc did in the same number of appearances for Arsenal.

GLIC you are so right about our expectations being often wrong as fans, how many told us Liverpool would finish above us this year.

Also I had a City friend ask me at the start of the season whether both Liverpool and Spuds would finish above us, I asked why and he had some silly odds that Arsenal would finish above either Spuds or Liverpool, he stuck £20 on and now waits to be rich.

Pogygooner

I see what you are saying.

85. Gooner In Exile says:

LB I thought my 6.5 for Ox was having balls, like you I agree Santos had more influence. I also think Gerv had more than Theo too.

The expectations we Arsenal fans sometimes put on youngsters is ridiculous, Ox will be good, possibly great, but the fans and our media talk as if he is ready to go win England a world cup. He has a lot to learn, this is not the Championship.

As for Gibbs it was close but for me Kozzer was there tidying up when others were beaten and helped us to the clean sheet.

Hi GIE

I am glad you noticed Gibbs, I thought it was just me.

I also agree about Gervinho being more effective than Theo.

I think we forget that Gerviho’s drop in confidence may well have a lot to do with being forced to play out of position, he clearly prefers the right to the left.

87. Gooner In Exile says:

Interesting LB, it is strange that whenever Gerv is on the pitch on the left he seems to want to switch wings regularly.

I thought he actually played quite close to Robin yesterday when he came on, and that his movement did open up a few more gaps.

I believe Kelsey named Gibbs his MotM yesterday also.

Some very interesting points have been made today – does anyone fancy developing one of them into a post? We currently have nothing for the week ahead.

i said yesterday based on the whole ninety minutes gibbs was our best player. I think the tackle by kos which appeared to save a certain goal, swung many into saying he was the man of the match.

Interesting Mancini adopted similar tactics to Di Mateo yesterday.At 0-2 up he took off attacking players and replaced them with defenders when Wolves were there for the taking, and goal difference may still decide the title.
    Rasp, if you are there, apologies it must have been someone else.

No worries kelsey :)

Nice one Kelsey.

Rocky,
    Didn’t copy your 2:38 nearly word for word honest :-)

BR

To pose the question: how does the Ox gain experience is to purposely move the goal posts away from my comment which was very obviously based purely on his performance yesterday.

As for Ramsey’s performance: the sky became overcast at one point, baring that in mind I would have thought you would have had a stronger argument if you said I was wrong to say that the sky was blue, rather than to argue that Ramsey’s performance was anything other than poor

CliC
    Half Moon is about 5 miles from us, but easily the nicest pub. Go there often. I’m a liver and bacon with mash man when there :-)
    Next time you go, give me warning.

Wow, lots of great comments.
    Can I add in the defence of the midfield, that I thought the off-the-ball running of Ox and Theo was really poor. Ok there was little space, but we did break once or twice and I felt they were too narrow.
    For me Ox is not going to be a wide player, and I agree with comments that Robin needs a partner at times, which of course means adapting the system occasionally.

Rasp,
    LB is doing a post on overhead climatic conditions :-)

With Theo injured, can we assume that Ox will be moved to the right with hopefully Benny on the left?

Hi Micky

Theo is a bit of a sacred cow, with him out, the team selection becomes very interesting.

LB it was a blue sky day here :-)

As to OC , I agreed about his ineffectiveness. I was asking a reasonable question ……..

LB, “dont blame the fans for what he got, he bought it on himself”.

What the hell you on about geezer?, you seem to have a vendeta against the kid and delight in the notion that your point is correct.Passing such premature judgment on a young player is daft. When i watch football one of the main things i look for is character, and Ramsey has it in spades. Not once did he hide yestreday. He has the abiity to go with his mentality and in a few years time he will play the deeper and more offensive role standing on his head.

Great post by the way GiE. hahahaha.

TM

Did you go to the game yesterday?

If you did then I will take what you are saying seriously, if you didn’t you did not see what we did.

My comments about Ramsey are based on his performance against Chelsea on the 21 April 2012 and he was pants in the postion he was asked to play.

Please try and grasp this bit TM

That comment has nothing to do with what I expect him to turn into in the future only his performance YESTERDAY.

Yes, i was there LB. My point is based on when you say that he bought the stick on himself. You seem to be saying that its ok to give him verbals, but when he becomes a great player then we can cheer him and for me thats misplaced. He needs our support now, not when he is bagging 15 goals a season, which i my oinion he eventuly will.

Your a true gooner, LB, and i agree with a lot you say, but i can never concur with your sentiments about Ramsey deserving stick.

LB,
    While I don’t see Ox long term as a wide player, he’s not ready yet for a central role, however, he’s better on the right than left and think he will take over Theo’s place.
    I hope Benny comes back into the side on the left as I think his cool head and experience will help see us over the line in third, with Newcastle forth :-)

Evening BD and TMHT.

105. goonermichael says:

What time is the player of the year thing. Rumours on twitter that shrek will win it.

Evening Micky.

The great thing about the current debate over Ramsey, Ox, Jack etc, is that none of us realy know were the best positions for these guys will eventuly be……that shows our great potential. I mean, who would have thought a few years back that RVP would be a great front man up front on his own, not me thats for sure.

107. goonermichael says:

108. Big Daddy says:

GM. It’s fixed.

GM, If RVP dont win that, then i will agree with all your fixing theories. I reckon Ramsey will get second. hahahaha

monkey suit for monkey man

Terry,
    I would have flogged RvP in 2005 :-(

112. I dont know if this is a contradiction ( or an oxymoron ). Terry, wise words from a loony ! :lol:
    Micky,
    I`m not sure which way to take that ,” give me a warning “. :lol:

GM :-)

Yeah, i remember that period Micky, to injury prone, to left footed, bad attitude etc. Dont be harsh on yourself Sir Micky, i commited the biggest sin……i thought DB10 was to soft for the English league. hahahahaha

115. Irishgunner says:

Evening all – anything new?

Didn’t get to see the game yesterday but seems I missed out on little. Hopefully Citeh beat Newcastle, Barcelona beat the Chavs and we beat the Chavs and all will be right.

Spuds are falling apart :lol:

116. Big Daddy says:

Were you there when RvP first signed and came onto the pitch wearing black and white striped clown’s trousers?

I thought. He will fit in well with Ray, Martin, Bouldy and TA …. ….

GliC,
    I wouldn’t mind betting we’ve been in the same boozer at the same time already. Fingle Bridge for us today :-)
    Half Moon is a big fly fisherman’s pub. They own about five miles of the Torridge.

118. Big Daddy says:

Hi Irish. Do you mean the Orcs or are there other Chavs?

119. goonermichael says:

Huge disappointment for RVP at the PFA. The United legend Howard Webb has won it for his exceptional contribution.

120. Irish,
    I tell you what would be new, If we play the chavs again this season ! :lol:

Irish,
    We beat the Chavs? Yesterday happened already you wild thang :-)

Cornwall, hahaha, i love the word Oxy. When i was a kid i used to suffer such bad acne that i would bathe myself in oxy10 spot preventing lotion. It got so bad i used to bunk of school to avoid getting the piss taken out of me.

Come on lads, who thought Tony Adams was any good at football after his first season?

124. Micky,
    What time was you at Fingle Bridge today ?, I got there at about 13:45pm for lunch.

125. Big Daddy says:

I thought Overmars was too small and that his knees were shot.

And Glenn Helder was going to become an AFC legend.

126. Irishgunner says:

Ah balls – I meant we beat Stoke at the weekend.

I’m still in dreamland – saw the Backstreet Boys and New Kids On The Block last night ha ha the teenage me is so happy …. happy in many ways >;-)

127. What do I know, I thought Jeff Blockley was going to be the new Bobby Moore !

Raddy, hahahahaha. I was there for Helders debut, he was brilliant.

129. Big Daddy says:

It should be noted that a Spurs in total free-fall are still 13 points ahead of the big spending Liverpool :-D :-D

130. Big Daddy says:

ThMT. So was I. He was superb that day. The Arsenal Lionel Richie …

Is this a good idea to help Rasp and Peaches out for tomorrow.
    Anyone on here for the rest of the evening send a team line up for the opening game of next season. Any formation and you are allowed one new signing. Money and availability irrelevant.
    No discussing your choice here tonight. Could make for a fun discussion.
    Oh, and let us all off the hook :-)

hahahahaha, ive got a real soft spot for Jeff Blockley. Never knew who he was, but some of my earliest memories were of my old man saying shit Blockley, effing Blockley etc.

133. Gooner In Exile says:

Haha Raddy.

I too was in the flog him camp with RvP….I wrote a post admitting it earlier this season.

On Ramsey I think we all have to take a minute to realise what is being said. OS it wrong to say someone had a bad game? No it is not. Is it wrong to say someone can improve aspects of their game? Again no. On these two though there must be even treatment every player should be held to account in every game by the same standards. Future and Past performances cannot be taken into account.

What I can’t stand is to write a player off on the basis of a run of bad form.

134. They say Spuds have the easiest run in, but 3 teams fighting for their Premiership lives, is that easy ?.

135. Big Daddy says:

glic. In light of QPR and Wigan’s performances, clearly not.

136. goonermichael says:

Walker from spuds is young player of the year

137. goonermichael says:

YES ROBIN

138. goonermichael says:

See it’s not fixed Raddy. You’re so cynical :)

139. gm,
    Have the spuds won ugliest team of the year again for a record successive years ? and their supporters ” most deluded” of the year again ( although they have been pushed quite hard this year by the dippers ) ?

Ramsey second GM?

GliC,
    Are you serious about Fingle bridge? We were early. With another family. Probably walking out as you came in. Then walked along the river for about an hour.

142. Big Daddy says:

So, we have won a trophy this year !

143. Yes Micky, had a lovely Sunday roast. Great setting, didn`t go for a walk, as we didn`t have our walking gear, It was just a spur of the moment thing , felt hungry , lets go somewhere nice ! :)

144. Big Randy Daddy,
    Thats the second, we recently got a “Groundsman of the year” award again, we win them like Manu win Titles !. Damn Grrrrrr :(

Well done Robin

As for Young Player – is Walker as good as all that?

146. goonermichael says:

I hope city and RM win the prem and la liga. I’d rather see nasri with a trophy than cesc

147. Robin Van Personality of the year !

148. TotalArsenal says:

Nice one for RvP – he will love this recognition and now he will definitely stay at Arsenal :)

149. TotalArsenal says:

Robin van Personality!!! GGlic you are a genius!! :)

150. TotalArsenal says:

LB@6.35 time will tell my friend and, one of us will have to eat a fair bit of humble pie :)

Statement 1: Ramsey is made for the second DM role/box to box midfielder – he will share /compete this position with Arteta next season

Statement 2: Wilshere is made for the AM in the hole, in front of the two DM’s – he will share /compete this position with Rosicky next season

Over to you!

151. Gooner In Exile says:

TA that one could run and run!!

Well done Robin.

152. Gooner In Exile says:

153. Gooner In Exile says:

Midnight blue dinner jacket…interesting choice from the skipper

154. TotalArsenal says:

GiE :) Feel free to join in – hahaha :)

155. Gooner In Exile says:

Always nice to hear an ex Arsenal player say nice things about the club, here speaks Tony Woodcock

156. Gooner In Exile says:

TA I plead the fifth!

TA
    I agree with you about Jack’s position. I’m sure he’ll play the “Cesc” role.

Not so sure about AR being an alternate Arteta. To be honest I’m still not certain what AR’s ultimate position is in a 4-3-3.

Mind you, I used to be very unsure of RvP’s position.

158. TotalArsenal says:

GiE :)

RL, I can understand that – it is easier to see him in a traditional 4-4-2 formation. Ramsey had less than two games in the ‘Arteta/former Wishere’ role and naturally it will take time to make it work. I remain confident he will become a big success in this role.

He is going through a difficult time and on top of that he will have to face some of his darkest demons on Saturday, when he will have to play at the ground where his leg was smashed to pieces. Would it not be sweet if he plays a blinder and win us the match against the Orcs? :)

159. TotalArsenal says:

Rasp, I am writing a short blog on RvP winning the PFA Player of the Year award at the moment. I will email it to you in a bit.

160. Gooner In Exile says:

161. jnyc says:

Ive been saying here and elsewhere, that rambo has been a big disappointment as attacking midfielder, not just choking on easy shots, also not creating anything really.
    BUT, i also have said, i love his effort, energy, spirit,and hes been through alot in the past couple years.
    also i have been saying that he should be sharing time in artetas role, because mikel played way too many minutes this season. And that rambos future is in this role, and without the pressure to score and create, the goals and assists will come to him eventually.
    on yesterday, he was so obviously tentative in the first half, in a new position,, in a big match, not wanting to stray forward afraid to make a defensive mistake, he played like merts or kos alot of time.

162. jnyc says:

Passes safely simply forward. Much better when free to go forward a littlw in second half. Maybe the boss told him to have confidence. It will take a while, but he will be good in this position, and thats where i want to see him next season sharing with arteta, Also a great late sub for posession and energy too. . NOT as attacking mf, and definitely not on the wing. But i still love his effort and spirit. WE NEED TO SUPPORT HIM.

Quick summary, please, TA?

164. Big Daddy says:

JNYC. Good stuff. You have been blogging on AA for a little while now. Why don’t you write a post?

Perhaps on this very subject.

Morning all,
    Might it be an idea to play Coq and Song togther for tha last three games?
    I would

166. Gooner In Exile says:

I think Diaby has to play in at least two, and come through without injury. We are talking make or break with him now.

Would also play Coq.

167. Gooner In Exile says:

This graphic makes me think just what might have been over the last few seasons.

168. Big Daddy says:

Diaby Song Rosicky

BD,
    I think Coq is the better defender, so he gets the nod for me in that position.
    Must go for a while.

170. Red Arse says:

Morning Peeps, :-)

Not a bad idea Micky. Could be brill in fact, but if it cooked our goose and we lose 3rd place, we can all blame you! :-)

171. Red Arse says:

TA,

Totally agree with your 9:58 last night with the statements concerning Rambo.

Admittedly Rambo was very tentative Saturday – so what?
    You are so right to say it is important to look at a players contribution in the round, not just on a few games.

RVP, the PFA Player of the Year, hasn’t scored for a few games now — does that mean he is now a crap player? Would that be fact? or Bollix?

I particularly liked the intelligent comments of TerryM and JNYC on the subject. Well said guys! :-)

172. Red Arse says:

Chas,

I just got back from a dental check up. The waiting room was very quiet so while waiting I played the Cock Song using my headphones. Disaster!!

I immediately burst out laughing, to the amazement of the other patients, and that made me laugh even more. I tried to stop the song because I had totally lost it, but I was shaking so much I accidentally pulled out the headphones socket.

The cock song lyrics burst out at full volume for all to hear and that made me laugh even more. Oh, the embarrassment, and then I dropped my pc and the bloody song started again.

I apologised to the receptionist and left. Not sure I can ever go back.

The trouble you cause me Chas!!!! And the fun!!!! :-) :-)

Morning all

New Post ……………..

174. news says:

news…

[…]Traffic Update : Parked Bus causes congestion in N5 « Arsenal Arsenal[…]…