2 Prizes; 4 Teams; 5 Games; 29 Days

- 2 CL places up for grabs

- 4 teams in contention

- 5 games to play

- 29 days left of the season

Well it all comes down to a nervous final month of the EPL season.

Given our awful start to the season we find ourselves in a far more favourable position then we could have realistically hoped for, Arsène has almost pulled another rabbit out of his hat.

It’s (almost) a given that the 1st and 2nd places will go to Manchester so lets concentrate on the 3rd and 4th positions.

Arsenal’s run in:

Blackburn (h)

Currently we have:

3rd Arsenal 64 pts.

4th Spurs 59 pts.

5th Newcastle 59 pts.

6th Chelsea 57 pts.

Only 7 points between the four teams with 15 points left to play for.

On paper Spurs have the easiest run in but QPR away will not be easy (as we found out) and Aston Villa away may prove to be a handful.

In their last 8 games Spurs have managed to win only  6 out of the 24 points – so let’s hope the rot has started to set in.

Newcastle has an onerous looking run in and may be fortunate to get  6/7 points out of 20.

Chelsea have by far the toughest remaining schedule and with FA and CL Cup commitments complicating things they may end up 5th.

That leaves the Gunners – last but never least – we should finish in a CL position and my earnest hope is that it’s the automatic 3rd spot.

What are your thoughts??

Written by GunnerN5

255 Responses to 2 Prizes; 4 Teams; 5 Games; 29 Days

1. Benny from Lagos Nigeria says:

Gunners are going to finish 3rd

2. goonermichael says:

Great post . I think we’ll get third. I think we’ll get at least a draw against Wigan. Wigan’s style will suit us and we’ve been very good at home even when we went through our bad patch.

Gn5. Thank you – it saves me spending time looking it all up.

As I understand it we need 10 points to guarantee CL qualification, given the highly unlikely assumption Spurs and Newcastle win all their games.

I think if we can get 8 points from the final 5, we will finish 3rd, which is remarkable seeing we have lost 9 games already.

Furthermore, just 5 more points will be an improvement on last season.

Thanks GN5, nice to see all the options laid out before us.

You are the king of the stats so I’m a little cautious stepping into your territory, but I think I am right in saying that although we’ve lost 9 games already, it’s the fact that we’ve had the fewest draws (therefore more straight wins) for many a season that has got us up to 3rd.

GN5,
    A great Sunday Post. Thank you.
    Its a given in my book thatwe will finsish 3rd, so all I am really doing is looking at the others and trying to engineer results for Toon to finish 4th. Let’s see, Spuds lose them all. That’s tidy and simple. The next bit is quite tricky.

6. goonermichael says:

we are on exactly the same points as we were last season

Rasp,
    What’s a gay win?

Hi Micky,

Best case scenarios now are:
    manu win the prem (Na$ri wins nothing)
    the chavs win the FA cup
    Barca humiliate the chavs in the CL but lose in the final
    we finish 3rd
    toon get 4th but fail to get out of the CL knockout stage
    the chavs and tots end up playing on Thursday nights.

gay win? – who what where?

10. luc says:

We will finish 3rd, think we wil collect our next 6 pts at home, the trouble is stoke away.

Rasp,
    The moment has passed, but in response to “(therefore more straight wins)”.

Must outside now.
    Certainly back for the game. Happy sundays all.

:lol: you’re too sharp for me Micky

Thanks for the detail, GN5.
    I can only think of it as one game at a time. My predictions are useless. :)

The semis are decided on pens I assume so we can’t even hope for a replay. In which case, extra time would be nice.

Is a ‘gay win’ when you come from behind?

16. TotalArsenal says:

GiE, no we did not go to Porthcurno and the Minack Theatre, but thanks for the tip! Looks fantastic :)

Loved the video Micky. I have a painting at home called ‘storm clouds over Port Isaac’ (by an East-Anglia based painter), so I went to see Port Isaac last year to find out from which angle the painting was painted. Great place. Do you know whether the song they were singing in the video is a ‘prisoners song’?

It would be great if we can finish third. Arsenal are not there yet and another win is needed against Wigan. Wouldn’t it be great if NU finish fourth, in front of the second and third best team in London?! :)

I remember Rasp and many others being very annoyed about us ‘dropping’ two valuable points against NU in our first game of the season. Who would have thought both teams could finish in the top-4 by the end of the season?

17. TotalArsenal says:

Chas :) brilliant!

18. goonermichael says:

What about “gender reassigned” Wins or “bi” for that matter. I thought this was an inclusive blog.

19. Kunle odu says:

Arsenal to secure 3rd spot while newcastle for 4th spot. Totinham nd chelsea out of champions league spot

20. TotalArsenal says:

A straight win is one with strictly no man-love (to the big disappointment of VCC and Big Randy who appear to fancy Bacary) :)

21. TT says:

Should that be “Big Raddy”? Although admittedly “Big Randy” goes better with the topic :-)

22. Strus says:

Final points should be near that:
    Arsenal 74,5
    Tottenham 68,2
    Chelsea 66,5
    Newcastle 65
    I know these are not integer, but it is statistical mean.

Very tight. One slip/upset from any team fighting for the 4th means out of the race.
    If Newcastle can maintain ther current run and win against Chelsea and Everton, they will be 4th.

Very slow Rasp……

I take nothing for granted, if we achieve 3rd it will be an enormous achievement.

If we take 8 more points it would have been enough to take 2nd last season

24. TotalArsenal says:

TT, you are totally right. It should be Big Raddy, but somebody called him Big Randy by mistake a while ago and he quite liked it. Big Randy lives in Denmark where everybody is randy (not much else to do then having sex all the time), so ‘Big Randy’ is very appropriate indeed! :lol:

25. TotalArsenal says:

Strus, good stuff! Any ‘mean-statistical’ idea what will happen with the bottom three i.e. who will drop out?

Strus. On what do you base your figures?

Rasp @11:04.

Very astute observation Rasp, this season we have tied just 4 games – the last time we tied so few was in 1939/40 when we tied just 1 game.

28. Strus says:

My base in DecTech match simulator
    CastrolFootball uses this engine.

I’ve put fixtures match by match there and then worte down in Excel to summarize.
    Deviation from expected points in the last 3 matches:
    Totenham -2,4 points
    Arsenal -0,1 points
    Chelsea +1,4 points
    Newcastle +4,5 points

I don’t want to waste time with relegetaion battle. Only Arsenal counts ;-)

Since Bacary returned to the team we have played 11 PL games

W 9 D 1 L 1.

Is a hermaphroditic win one where you score an own goal?

Thanks for laying it all out Gn5
    I’m not really worried about Stoke away. The Orcs will be planning their summer holidays when we play them and, in any case, we’re not so easily bullied these days.

I have real high hopes for Toon to get the 4th spot. They have momentum, and also some really good players in rich form. I could easily see them doing the Chavs and Everton. They could be Citeh too if the blue Mancs have blown the league by then.

Did I read somewhere that, from next season, we’ll only have three CL places up for grabs in the EPL? Can any one illuminate?

32. Afternoon all, good to see thew terminal position possibilities laid out there so starkly there N5.

Can I be the first to put myself down fro the “AA’ers at the Tavern” for tomorrow widget ?
    I’m aiming to get there for 6.15ish to get thoroughly sozzled due to Wigan no longer appearing to be the push overs I had them down to be when I got the ticket to the game.

33. Gooner In Exile says:

Bloody ell I thought I was Statto but Strus is making me scratch my head in puzzlement.

GN5 thanks for the summary of the last 5 games, based on swings so far we will finish on 75 points. As Rasp pointed out earlier, we have already lost one more game than we did in the whole of last season but are level on points. That’s all because we have turned draws into wins, Dippers away, Shitty home, Newcastle home all could have easily ended as draws but the team found a goal to win it. And that’s what we need to carry in to next season.

Can someone remind me the name of the Turkish restaurant next to the Tavern? Hope to eat there tomorrow before the game.

TA
    Sounds like you had a brilliant holiday. I love that part of Cornwall and have spent a lot of time around Boscastle, Port Isaac, Padstow and Rock. St Ives too.
    Wouldn’t mind living there one day, but only if the Dididts don’t move to Canada :)

Hi GiE,

It’s called Yildiz and is about 6 doors down from the Tavern.

chary, hope to see you at the Tavern tomorrow, I’ll put the widget up in a while.

I just when back and read the pre-New Post comments from earlier this morning.

I have been crying with laughter. All I can say is Micky, BR, evonne and Chas, thank you. What a brilliant way to start a Sunday.

As for the singing jolly-tack-tars, that clip sent shivers down my spine (or was it me timbers?). I have sat in the pub in Port Isaac with some of those blokes for their weekly singsong. It’s magical. Very happy memories.

Hi Rocky, great place Port Isaac – you probably know it’s the location for Doc Martin. In my view the most scenic (next to Polperro) of the Cornish coastal villages.

Have you been to Mevagissey? It used to be a great place to watch the trawlers unloading their catch but I gather the fishing fleet is all but extinct.

38. Best Egbiremhon says:

From d table,we can afford to drop 5 point n end still finish on par with Tot n N. Castle..that is hoping they don’t drop any point at all..and of the four teams fighting,we are in d best of form I guess (9 wins from 10)..N. Castle n chelsea still av to meet…if the boys can stay focused which am sure dey will,We have 3rd place to ourselves…

Redders
    Include me in (as Sam Goldwyn used to say) for your one-legged jump experiment to discombobulate the Spuds when they shoot :)

Morning Rasp
    I don’t really know Megavissey. I used to stay with a friend in Boscastle – a really talented artist. Sadly he died last year. He was a wonderful singer and sang every week with those Port Isaac fellows.

I also had a curious fondness for Launceston, this odd, slightly bleak town on the Moors.

Yes I know Launceston. What a shame Jamaica Inn has been reduced to a tacky tourist attraction. A few years ago when the kids were younger I played the talking tape of Jamaica Inn in the car on our drive down to Cornwall, it really set the scene for those bleak moorland areas.

Best
    You hit the nail on the head: “if the boys can stay focussed”.
    They didn’t against QPR and it cost us. Wigan tomorrow will be an important game.

If we can win that, then beat the Chavs in the early kick-off on Saturday, we’ll be 11 points ahead of the Spuds before they start their game :)

Jamaica Inn is a real let down.

Fortunately, you don’t have to wander far into the moors to taste the air of mystery and moodiness.

Yep and Land’s End is also a big disappointment. How can we have let the famous southerly tip of Britain fall into commercial hands? It should be owned by the National Trust.

45. goonermichael says:

I had dinner in Megavissey a couple of years ago with my wife. It absolutely poured down. Nice resturant though. Corwall is a lovely part of the world. I love Kynance cove.

Dollar Cove near Helston is also worth a visit – so named because a galleon carrying bullion ran aground offshore and gold doubloons are occasionally washed up on the beach.

The best thing about Cornwall is that it really does have echoes of ages past, which is why those fishermen are so appealing.

If you’ve ever wandered round the remote bits as it’s getting dark you won’t be so quick to dismiss things like piskies…

Helston – isn’t that where they do the “burning barrels” festival?

49. goonermichael says:

Peter de savory fucked up Lands end. went there and it was complete bollocks. So tacky

Dunno Rocky, it has a naval station, RNAS Culdrose nearby from where the air sea rescue helicopters operate

Anyway, we’d better start talking about football again or we’ll scare everyone away.

I take it we all want the Chavs to win today after extra time (as the lesser of two smelly evils)?

Rasp
    I think I’m muddling it up with Ottery St Mary.

53. goonermichael says:

I wanted Everton to win the cup but that’s gone tits up. Any of the other three is unbearable.

RL. It takes longer to get to THOF from Cornwall than it does from here. Best to move close to Peaches and Rasp – long way from the sea though.

I once did the cross-Cornwall coast to coast walk. Beautiful

Thanks GN5, i dont have to look at the fixtures or any stats to know we will get 3rd spot, ive thought 3rd since the Chelsea game. Shame about our summer, if we had not had a terrible pre season we might have been in the mix for the title, but we will make up for it next season when we win the league and champions league double.

Every one seems to have gone Cornish crazy today, except Cornwall, whos not around but is crazy anyway. Going against the tide, the more i hear of the place the more wary i become. Ive seen the Wicker Man, Terry is to good looking to be sacrificed to some pagan God. what ever you think of the muggers, looters, thieves, con artists and other associated delights of London, at least they wont sacrifice me so there crops have a good one.

56. 1tourettesgooner says:

Nice post GN5,
    After what I still think was a shambles of a Summer TW, I expected 5th ,6th or 7th, so to get 4th would be astonishing, 3rd means Arsene likes to take casual walks across water hand in hand with Dennis.
    Yesterday, my job took me to Charlestown ( Tall Ships in dock ), Mevagissey, Rock ( sell your house there Rasp and you might be able to afford a Beach Hut ) and Port Isaac, It`s a hard life down here !. Best beach imo, Constantine Bay. Cadwith Cove is very pretty ( unusual that it has Thatched cottages dotted around the harbour ), when i first went there, I thought I had stepped back in time, It was so old looking and they all sat around telling old tales whilst stroking their long beards, I suppose it takes allsorts but I prefer my women clean shaven .

Hello Terry :)

I think the Wicker Man was up in Scotland somewhere, so GLiC should be safe for the time being.

Unless the lezzer piskies get him :)

58. Aidan Collins says:

Arsenal 3rd
    Newcastle 4th
    Chelsea 5th
    Spurs 6th
    Liverpool 10th

59. oz gunner says:

cheers for the post G5, now i know whats on the table finishing third looks a done deal.

@ Micky

Thanks for the port isaac’s fishermans friends clip. Love it. It’d be great drinking at a pub with them and signing the night away. I know what i’ll be listening to for my morning run tomorrow.

60. Terry,
    If you pop down here I`ll look after you, I`ll keep you away from the Inbreds. I`ve been here over 20 years now and I`m still looked upon as a cockney bastard who pushed the house prices up so locals cant afford to buy and shags their women ( only the clean shaven ones, but I bet your telescope is playing havoc at the thought of the bearded ones ! ).

61. I played 5 a side on Thursday night and done both my calfs again, so I went to the Doctors and he checked me and found that my right calf Is 3 cm`s bigger than my left one, so i`ve got to exercise ( calf raises ) the left one, but in the mean time to help my balance, Mrs glic whacks my left nut with a club hammer to even things out , maybe I should just give up the football !.

Hi Rocky, i get in a cold sweat as soon as i pass the M25. hahahaha.

Cornwall, at least that Wicker bloke got sacrificed by some top women, i think Ingrid Pitt was one of them so Raddy would probably be begging for it. Now what have i got to look forward to if i ever venture down there?…..sacraficed by some old hags with beards? You should work for the Cornwall tourist board.

“Come to Cornwall and experience the delights of a bygone English heritage. Your travel guides will be Cornwall and Didit, who after getting you copiously high on some strange cornish mushroom, will leave you out to dry on some wierd moorland, and thats when the fun realy begins. You will be accosted by burly men with beards, knocked unconsious, and then handed over to some burly bearded women to burn you alive. Dont miss this fantastic opportunity, book now to enjoy the pleasures of the hirsuit, followed by a damn good Roasting”

63. oz gunner says:

Don’t go Terry, it’s a trap to lure you there. This video shows you what GLIC’s home town is really like, with the ghost of GLIC leading the way! You’ve been warned!

Oz, Christ, thats scared the crap out of me, so glad ime in London. Ime going out, and the first mugger that i see ime giving them a great big sloppy kiss. hahahaha

65. Terry,
    I always fancied Madeline Smith, I think that was her In chas`s video being Lesbianised by Ingrid Pitt , damn, women are so lucky !.
    There Is a job here waiting for you, I`ve got too many clients with my “Feels on Wheels ” business, I need help, your Greek Demi – God good looks will be a hit with cornish wenches, gargling of Greek Yoghurt is their speciallity !.
    I hope Rocky Isn`t being put off with a view to moving here !. :)

66. oz gunner says:

hahaha Terry they can steal your money but you’ll always steal their innocence and dignity!

67. Nice one Oz, I`ve been to a few of them Cornish Barn Dance`s, when you get over here, I`ll get you an invite !.

68. Bayonne Jean says:

Gunners 3rd. The hoped-for order for the rest: Geordies; Chavs; LWCs. The likely for the rest: LWCs; Chavs; Geordies. Best hope for the Geordies is that ManU and Citeh draw, Citeh thus out of it, so Citeh would tank their next game at St. James.

69. Bayonne Jean says:

What about bottom of the table? Wolves are dead; who do you PREFER to see go down? Easy — QPR and Villa, because of their loathsome managers. Would most like to see Bolton (play decent style of football, plus good place to get Arsenal youth EPL time) and Wigan (again, football the right way). Even Blackburn has some merit — comic relief with Paul Robinson in goal, and also fun to watch an EPL side physically resembling a pub team (Yakubu et al.)

Prediction: Blackburn and QPR to go down, with QPR having murderous run in (LWC; Chavs; Stoke; Citeh)

70. Red Arse says:

Have been watching M’Gladbach/Cologne and have to say Podolski has looked decidedly average. Time to change your mind Arsene? :-)

Have an uncle who lives in Rock (opposite PadstoweStein). Love the estuary beaches, and the surrounding area including the surfing.

Ghost of Garlic, :-) I thought you were supposed to be a good boy now? Anyway, it’s good to see you back!! :-)

Rocky, sorry you mistook my heavy handed attempt at self deprecating humor as a complaint yesterday. :-) My Posts are crap and my comments are not much better. I am trying to convince myself to take the hint! :-)

GN5, Nice idea for a Post, well done! :-)

71. Red Arse says:

Bayonne Jean,

Liked your comment! :-)

Where are you based? Bayonne New Jersey, or Bayonne, France?

Or wherever? :-)

72. Red Arse says:

Yeah, OK — I will take the hint!! :-)

73. evonne says:

GM – do you still hate any of the ManU players, except for Evra, Skoles and Giggs? Oh, and Shrek of course. I just cannot stand Evra, Skoles and Giggs are too good footballers to dislike

74. evonne says:

GLic and RA – leopards and spots :) Hi Glic

75. evonne says:

GN5 – I am so sorry, forgot to thank you for the post, and a very good post it is indeed.
    I cannot see us not finishing 3rd, it would be a huge disappointment. Newcastle 4th be a dream for use and a nightmare for Scum and Chavs, lovely

Cannot see Villa doing anything today :(

76. evonne says:

here we go again, an early penalty to settle Fergie’s nerves

77. goonermichael says:

Sure it’s not fixed

78. goonermichael says:

Anyone who wants this shower of dogturd to win wants thier brains tested. Why is buying worse than cheating?

79. robbin says:

wrestlemania XXII is more realistic..they dont call em “manUre fc.” for nothing, how bout mancheaters united…

In the Women’s Champions League it’s goalless at half-time at Borehamwood in the the first leg of Arsenal’s semi-final against German side Frankfurt

81. robbin says:

theyre both buying…same shit

Was it a fair pen?

83. goonermichael says:

Rocky. No another dive by ashley young.

The FA should impose a retrospective red card on Ashley Young for his second dive in as many games – disgraceful. I wanted him at Arsenal but after that behaviour I wouldn’t touch him. It was different with Bobby – he was an artiste ;)

85. goonermichael says:

Hope someone breaks his leg.

86. robbin says:

when is it ever fair when sir alex f**kuson is involved…ashley young dives like clark kent in blue spandex

87. robbin says:

why do i call him sir…when he is the grime underneath my toe nails

Ashley Young is a disgrace. I apologise in advance to any animal rights activists, but he goes down now like a shot pheasant….but unlike the poor bird the horrible bleeder gets up again.

89. Gooner In Exile says:

And I know there was contact but Ashley Young spread both legs wide in the dive/tumble to make sure it was there.

They keep talking about established PL players going to the Olympics but someone needs to amend the memo and tell them it’s for football not to accompany Tom Daley off the high boards.

Rasp thanks for the name, it’s in the memory bank now. Me and Mrs GiE will see you all in the Tavern….or Yildiz if anyone’s eating.

90. robbin says:

carricks tackle from behind? cleaning up the ankles….why not red?

can we get a worldwide petition for video technology please….im gonna throw up again…

It’s made all the worse by the fact that Young used to play for Villa – they’ll hate him forever after that blatant cheating.

GM, robbin, Young brings the game into disrepute, and that annoys the hell out of me. It is also a timely reminder, for any one thats softened there stance in recent years, what a total bastard Ferguson is by indulging this nonsense.

93. nmcmaho1 says:

@ Rasp

is there a few ‘HOT’ players on their team? or are they all ‘DOGS’?

I’ll get my coat

94. oz gunner says:

@ Rasp

is there a few ‘HOT’ players on their team? or are they all ‘DOGS’?

I’ll get my coat

95. TotalArsenal says:

I predict a draw at Old Toilet today. Justice will be done!

96. evonne says:

scholes has done his knee, good

We can’t want citeh to win the prem. Na$ri alone is enough reason, but there is also the fact that still only 4 (?) teams have won it.

98. goonermichael says:

He’s scum robbin.

99. goonermichael says:

I want City to win it. They don’t cheat like those red scum and they play much better football. Nasri is a better human being than young, giggs or rooney ever will be

100. robbin says:

sorry rasp, disagree..not only do united buy titles with bent refs but they also decide which clubs go down through their favourable desicions….this has got to stop and we all make it justifiable by putting on the blinkers…ferguson is “cancer” to the EPL

Stuff them both. Next season we will do them, and it will be the beggining of an era of Arsenal dominance. Ime so confident of winning the title next year, that if we dont i will book into GM’s and get my hair permed.

102. 26may1989 says:

I’ve just switched on and seen Young’s dive – bloody outrageous. If a player other than Suarez deserves some physical attention, I’m sorry to say it’s Ashley Young. In fact, Young is even more cynical a diver than Suarez.

But what happens when the two (ex United) pundits discuss it at HT? About as strong as it gets is Ray Wilkins saying Young will get himself a reputation. Dwight “I’ll say whatever I need to to keep getting this Sky TV gig” Yorke says it’s a good penalty. These people are just so utterly sycophantic, they can’t bear to say something that would upset Ferguson, absolutely nauseating.

103. goonermichael says:

yorke is an absolute retard though. his IQ must be close to a monkey.

104. robbin says:

from all the coke he hoovered whilst playing for sydney fc, back with his mate bosnich…

white line fever they call it

105. Gooner In Exile says:

That’s doing a disservice to monkeys GM, I’d suggest more closer to a goldfish.

106. Reddawn says:

I’m sorry chaps, but statistics are a bit passé for me. Fortunately, I am able to time travel…I know what you are going to say ’doesn’t that rather take the fun out of the game’. No, not if you are selective. Anyway, I’ve seen the end of season table and all I can say to my fellow Gooners is, relax it’s in the bag! I will not give any more details encase I over excite Big Randy.

107. 26may1989 says:

Thanks for the post GN5.

I reckon it’ll fall like this:

Arsenal WDDWW 75
    Spurs WDWWW 72
    Chelsea WDWDW 68
    Newcastle LWDLD 64

With Chlsea and Stoke to follow, beating Wigan is very, very important.

Bayonne Jean @ 3:38pm: Completely agree about your preferred teams to get relegated and your predictions. But have to disagree re Paul Robinson: he’s been one of the best keepers in the PL this year (well, he does get a lot of shooting practice). His “comedy” issues go back to that backpass Gary Neville needlessly played towards goal and which then hit a divot as Robinson was about to kick while under pressure. Not his fault! He is a bit of a tool though, I’ll give you that.

Aston Villa have to be one of the worst sides around, how Bolton, Wigan, Blackburn and QPR aren’t above them is a bit of a mystery. Surely Darren Bent wouldn’t want to stick around with this rubbish?

108. 26may1989 says:

Villa are just so, so lame, such crappy defending.

Lot of empty seats at Wembley.

“big clubs” my posterior.

110. robbin says:

zzzzzzzzzz’ Z

111. Gooner In Exile says:

In the Corporates or all over Rocky I’ve not started watching

Rocky,

What do you mean “empty seats” I think they are full of ‘bums”

113. goonermichael says:

photo/1

Gn5 :D

GiE
    In fairness it looks like the pricier ones.

115. robbin says:

ashley young can represent in the olympics……

he’d do alright in the hurdles…

116. robbin says:

cesc ‘drogs’ n rock n roll..

drogba does the damage 1-0 half time

Great goal by the Drog.

118. robbin says:

it was a “TRIFFIC” goal

119. goonermichael says:

Fantastic goal. Hope he get’s sent off later :)

120. dandan says:

Opta Arsenal‏@OptaArsenaIReply
    Retweet

Favorite
    · Open

41% of Arsenal goals have come from Van Persie. 42% of Barcelona’s goals have come from Messi. Barca = Great Team. Arsenal = One Man Team.

Retweeted by Mikel Arteta

Dandan
    Says it all.

122. goonermichael says:

terrible decision

123. robbin says:

i dont care that its spuds, but that decision for the 2nd goal is another cry for video replays..

if that happened to us, id be frothing at the mouth..

After Atkinson ‘not seeing’ Balotelli’s attempted leg-breaker on Song, he now gives a goal where the ball came nowhere near crossing the line.

Chavs 2 up.

125. dandan says:

Opta Arsenal‏@OptaArsenaIReply
    Retweet

Favorite
    · Open

17. Arsenal have had 17 different goal scorers this season. One man team.

True Robbin
    But it IS Spuds, so….
    Hahahahahahahaha

127. Paddywhack says:

Did you know that Ashley Young is a Gunners supporter – pity but there it is.

128. goonermichael says:

dandan. there is an agenda against Arsenal by the press. I’m not sure why though.

129. robbin says:

should be a red card

130. robbin says:

i thought bassong set the precedent

football is mad at the minute…it really is

I wouldn’t be surprised if Spuds came back and won this.

132. robbin says:

pamela andersons’ boobs have more authenticity

133. Slimgingergooner says:

Red card or goal? Surely red card and penalty is the advantage?

Ref is having a shocker!

Adebarndoor started going down before any contact and Cech was trying to get out of the way.

It could be a red, but it would be a bit harsh.

Extra time please!!!

135. Gooner In Exile says:

Right ITV Commentary moron Beglin does it again!

So what that they scored, so what that a foul wasn’t given, it is still a denial of a goal scoring opportunity, it is still a red card…surely?

If I score a goal and in the process someone comes through me over the top and cuts me in two, is it still a red card? Yes.

Anyway probably better that Chavs keep 11 on and Cahill replaces the loony Luiz (hope its not too bad).

Shocking decision by Atkinson for the second goal, how that guy is reefing the semi final after seeing Balotelli’s assault but deciding it wasn’t a foul let a lone a red card is a complete mystery.

Mind you, it would be quite funny if the score stays the same and the Spuds go out to a non goal.

Agree with Robbin though – the FA are making the English game a laughing stock at the moment with their refusal to retrospectively look at incidents.

137. Gooner In Exile says:

Ok 4th official has confirmed laws, i was wrong!

138. Slimgingergooner says:

If yellows are allowed after the incident then reds must be too.

I’m no Spurs fan but I love football and that is a disgrace.

139. robbin says:

GiE,

in this case isnt the keeper (cech), the last man?

140. dandan says:

Wilson‏@BobWilsonBWSCReply
    Retweet

Favorite
    · Open

The worst season of incorrect decisions by officials hits rock bottom at Wembley. Technology please like all other great sports

141. dandan says:

@OptaArsenaIReply
    Retweet

Favorite
    · Open

Arsenal’s last 15 premier league home games (W12 D2 L1). Fortress.

142. dandan says:

pesty genius‏@kerazehReply
    Retweet

Favorite
    · Open

HAHAHA RT @AnfieldCat: new football rule being trialled at Wembley, the ball only has to go near the goal to be counted, Torres is ecstatic

143. goonermichael says:

If Cech had gone we’d be attacking hilarious on Saturday

144. robbin says:

football No.1 sport in the world but is dead last in the pioneering stakes and going forward…

Sepp Blatter you are a friggin dinosaur

145. Gooner In Exile says:

As we’re on a stats day heres the League Table for games after the closure of the August Transfer Window (but before this weekends games):

ManUre…..67
    City…………62
    Arsenal……60
    Spuds……..53
    Chavs……..47
    Dippers…..39

OK It shows there is still a gap between us and the top, but take out 4 full backs of any teams around us and I doubt they would have got 60 points from 29 games.

146. dandan says:

One of Martin Atkinson’s ancestors was lookout on the Titanic.

147. Gooner In Exile says:

They explained SGG that it only applies with cases where the booking or red card would occur anywhere on the pitch, as the red card in this case is for a professional foul (i.e. denying goalscoring opportunity..if a goal is scored it doesn’t matter…..apparently)

148. Gooner In Exile says:

DD you are in fine form today :D

149. goonermichael says:

dandan :)

Brilliant dandan

151. robbin says:

dandan :-) LMAO

152. 26may1989 says:

As you say Exile, play on after a foul denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity and it’s a retrospective yellow for the offender; stop the game and it’s a red (as with Lehmann in Paris). Different if the red card offence is something else (violent conduct etc), in which case it’s red in any event, and referees aren’t meant to play the advantage in the first place.

3-1 Chavs
    All over

154. 26may1989 says:

What a goal from Lampard.

But I still hate Chavs.

155. Gooner In Exile says:

Lets see the Spuds head for the exit now

4-1 Chavs
    Lampard 30 yard FK

157. robbin says:

triffic twitchy

It’s going to be hard for the Spuds to pick themselves up for the league run-in.
    :D

159. 26may1989 says:

I missed the start: why is Cuddicini playing, not Friedel? And did van der Vaart start?

Not sure why no Friedel
    Van der Cheat did start.

161. dandan says:

Great substitution by ‘Arry, 2 goals follow

” Twitchy for England “

163. 26may1989 says:

BTW, in an idle moment, I checked a little anti-Stoke fact today: of Stoke’s 17 away games so far, they have drawn the lowest attendances for seven of the hosts – comfortably more than the next in that list (Fulham, with three). Fans voting with their feet, they don’t want to watch the miserable fare on offer from Pulis.

164. robbin says:

in all fairness the 2nd goal changed the complex of the game…

off course chelsea fans will say they thrashed spuds but it would have looked like a different game had the officials not all blinked at once

No doubt there’ll be masses of media coverage about the crisis at Spuds: out of all competitions, desperately clinging on to hopes of scraping top four…

Oh no, it’s just us who get that…

166. robbin says:

*complection* of the game

167. 26may1989 says:

Cheers Le Roc.

Spurs look completely lacking in energy. Title winning material? You’re having a larf.

Just saw the replay of the second goal: so we have a linesman from Azerbaijan on do we?

168. dandan says:

Feel for Martin Atkinson this weekend. First he had that massive row in the bookies claiming Sunnyhillboy crossed line first, and now this

169. 26may1989 says:

“not all blinked at once” – :)

Chavs fans singing “there’s only one team in London”.

Nice of them to sing a song about The Arsenal :)

171. Gooner In Exile says:

I’m Scott Parker ; “LOOK AT MY PASSION!”

Twat

Gallas has had a stinker.

173. Gooner In Exile says:

This is really funny…..who pressed the self destruct button at Shite Hart Lane?

174. robbin says:

RL, they should have played Nelson?

hahahahahhaahahahhahahhahhahahh

175. 26may1989 says:

TBH, I’d have preferred Chelsea to lose today, but if Spurs were going to grab that honour, I’m pleased to see they’re getting tonked. 5-1 indeed.

176. dandan says:

Dare I phone my spud brother in Spain :-)

177. 26may1989 says:

For those who haven’t checked newsnow recently, take a look at Joel Campbell scoring a peach against table-topping Montpellier: http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/lorient-2-montpellier-1/

Joel back to us for 2012-13? Yes please.

178. 26may1989 says:

DD, what’s his number, I think we’d all like to give him a buzz. Got to cheer him up after all…. :)

179. Gooner In Exile says:

Nice to see the spuds end turn red 10 minutes before the end of the game. :)

181. Gooner In Exile says:

That’s what I call entertainment.

Harry for England.

183. dandan says:

“Once more unto the breach dear friends once more” :-(

184. goonermichael says:

dandan says:
    April 15, 2012 at 7:55 pm
    Dare I phone my spud brother in Spain

I’ve already upset mine on Facebook

Oh when the wheels go falling off…………. LOL

Harry Barnes You lower the tone of Arsenal. 9 minutes ago
    Michael Barnes That’s brought a smile to my face.6 minutes ago ·

185. 26may1989 says:

“There’s always question marks over Spurs. Is there a weakness through the fabric of the club? Are there enough characters?” Got to love Roy Keane as a pundit.

The day Herbert chapman walked through the door at Arsenal, Hotspur have always been an inferior club. This is there eternal problem, just like poor old City and Everton. Exsisting in a shadow of someone superior is very difficult and leads to poor descion making. I had a look at there plans for a new stadium the other day and saw that a hugh Sainsburys will loom over the new ground. So now they will also be on the shadow of Sainsburys. There foolishness knows no bounds.

189. dandan says:

Danny Baker‏@prodnoseReply
    Retweet

Favorite
    · Open

At least after this we won’t have to see that shot of Harry, depressed & helpless, at the side of the Wembley pitch again. Oh hang on

Why is anyone surprised by a lack of backbone ?

A chicken doesn’t grow into an eagle.

Come on, who in there right mind thought at any stage this season Hotspur were a better team than the Mighty Arsenal? Today there centre back pairing was a joke, both Gallas and King are finnished. Gareth Bale thinks hes Pele, and Adebarndoor is not fit to lace RVP’s boots. Oh, and we have Arsene Wenger, whilst they have a man who is so thick, his dog takes takes the financial descions for him.

193. Stop being so cruel, the Spuds have their good points, they make great chips, crisps, mash, roast………………………

Evening all,
    Excellent result.
    Chas,
    “Coming from behind” Brilliant :-)
    Rocky,
    Helston is The Floral Dance. Bit like Padstow’s MayDay and the oldest Pagan Festival in Europe. So they say.

RA,
    Saw your Podolski comment. I am very worried at the prospect of signing him. All I can say is that he is better than the present back up strikers, but in my opinion, not the type of player we want and nowhere near good enough to play alongside Robin or as a replacement should he get a long term injury.

Ah, that’s it Micky – the award winning Floral Dance.

Never seen it, but Padstow on Mayday is a right laugh.

Hi there Rocky,
    Are you in Boston before June? There’s an exhibition there I think you might be interested in that I learnt about in Ireland. If you are, I’ll email you details.

Not planning to Micky, but I wouldn’t mind visiting Boston (never been).

Are you going?

Highly unlikely. States maybe, but not Boston. Agree Mayday is a blast. Been many times.
    Tragically, I have work to do, so until matchday, bye bye.

I am surprised that Chas missed this one.

201. dandan says:

Redknapp: “I’ve spoken to him [Atkinson] and he said he feels worse than I do [about the mistake]. I said to him ‘I don’t think so'”

Spuds are certainly consistent.

In their last six FA Cup semis… they’ve lost every one :)

203. goonermichael says:
  204. evonne says:

Rocky – the last time Spurs won at FA semis was at our expense, remember Gazza?

You lot are heartless so and sos. No compassion whatsoever. Have you not seen little Spuds crying at Wembley today ?!

I normally love kids, but crying little spuds made me laugh :)

I wonder if the Spuds fans are turning on Twitchy?

Oh… just found this comment on a Spud forum:

“Billy Legit Says:
    April 15th, 2012 at 7:27 pm
    Wot a bunch of fakin’ bottlers……..sick and tired of this shit……….losing is one thing, to get gubbed by 5, by those b*stards!!!……….where are the the Twitchy arse-lickers eh?, i haven’t got a dog or cat to kick up the a*se………..feel sick, tired, drained, a little confused and very, very fakin’ pissed off!!!
    Put this score-line on your grave stone Twitchy, coz that’s wot i’m gonna remember you for………..you can go and f*ck off to Soho Sq now and don’t slam the door on your way out, yer fakin Dagenham pikey barrow-boy spamhead toss-pot!!!”

206. Gooner In Exile says:

He seems quite restrained Rocky :D

207. Gooner In Exile says:

I always love to see kids crying at football…its one of those things that you should all go through

208. evonne says:

LB – no, Chas doesn’t miss a thing, it was on the blog a few weeks ago, brilliant clip :)

209. Gooner In Exile says:

Was it that Hitler one? There are quite a few about I think.

210. SharkeySure says:

Cheers for the post GN5…for me I look no further than Wigan…then Chelsea…etc etc

We often hope for both teams to lose or a demoralising loss. Today is almost as good as it gets with Chelsea winning but losing two CBs to injury. Terry still has his rib problem, and Ivanovic has a domestic suspension.

LB/Chas..that clip is truly tremendous, I even tolerated the over use of a certain word. I guess most f you know its from ‘Downfall’ a brilliant film about Hitlers last days. Bruno Ganz (Hitler) is amazing throughout…

Can’t stop…night all

Ps. Big holler at Ghostie….its been too long. Welcome back you award winning nutter

211. SharkeySure says:

Literally hundreds GiE. One of the top ‘memes’ on the web

212. oz gunner says:

some brilliant jokes on here tonight, well done dandan and co.

As for spurs, we all knew they were going to collapse sooner or later. But they truly have nosedived in spectacular fashion! Come on Geordies rally your Newcastle!

213. 26may1989 says:

Re diving, aside from fans all getting het up whenever there’s one of these blatant incidents, like dealing with any wrongdoing, it’s all about detection and punishment. If offences aren’t dealt with, there’s only an incentive to carry on, especially when so many dives yield the goods in terms of penalties and free kicks; it’s just human nature. So whether it’s against Villa, QPR, Man City, Montenegro, Argentina or anyone else, Young (and Suarez, Rooney, Busquets, Owen etc) will feel they should carry on.

Many assume FIFA and UEFA get in the way of dealing with the problem. Wrong. There are two not so important leagues, the A-League in Oz and the MLS in the States, that are using videos of games to look for diving and are then punishing it.

They may not be in the footballing mainstream, but on this one, where they lead, we should be following.

214. goonermichael says:

The fa hide behind non existent rules to cover up thier mistakes and corruption

215. 26may1989 says:

Cowards and sycophants, GM.

216. 26may1989 says:

Spurs’ form in all comps since the end of Jan: DWDLLWLDDDWWDLL.

And that includes two matches against Stevenage.

217. goonermichael says:

At least they are calling him a diver

218. Gooner In Exile says:

TalkShite were blaming FIFA last week for tying the hands of the FA which as we know is bollox. If A and J leagues do it is It possible UEFA are probably to blame for not using video evidence post match? Just imagine the financial claims in the CL if you a team were put out from the competition due to a dive which was retrospectively punished….oh and the fact Barca would have to field a youth team.

Whilst no retrospective action is taken Managers and Coaches will keep telling their players to do it (and they do even at the lowest level) I witnessed a youngster get taken off once in my league and the manager told him there and then he should have gone down for the penalty.

Last week at Wolves we could easily have had a penalty when Ramsey was taken down, but because he got up and got the ball again nothing was given. Why be honest if it gets ignored?

219. Gooner In Exile says:

GM it’s good to see the Mirror give it full status, and also it seems they have said it was a goal. So despite ITV saying their conclusive evidence would have meant the right decision was given in seconds that picture suggests it was over the line.

220. 26may1989 says:

Hi Exile. No, this isn’t one we can pin on UEFA at all, other than in CL and Europa matches of course. It’s different re goal-line technology, which is a FIFA issue. But in domestic footy, national FAs have discretion to do what the Yanks and Aussies are already doing, so there’s no excuse for the FA and PL.

You’re right to raise the knock-on issues re results affected by retrospectively punished dives, but hiding behind that would be very unconvincing. It’s not as if punishing the dives changes anything about them being dives in the first place. It might be awkward for the FA/PL, but it’s silly not to do good just because you can’t achieve perfection.

221. goonermichael says:

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has suggested that Wigan will beat Arsenal when the two sides meet at The Emirates tomorrow night.

The Gunners have the opportunity to move eight points clear of fourth placed Tottenham with a win but the Red Devils manager believes that the Latics can pull off a second consecutive upset after triumphing 1-0 against the league leaders on Wednesday.

“They’ve got to get a goal, of course, but if they do they’ll beat Arsenal,” Ferguson said.

“They are playing really well. They should easily be in the middle of the table, rather than down at the bottom, but at times they can’t get a goal.

He’s worried about us for next season so he’s started his playground games early. wanker

222. Gooner In Exile says:

Why the f*** is Fergie getting adig in? If they score they win? Have you watched us at all this season Fergie? I agree with you GM.

26 the thing is the FIFA code allows retrospective action for obvious errors…so I guess part (a) will be what is deemed an obvious error. I just wondered whether because we were governed by UEFA after FIFA whether UEFA had issued their own disciplinary code. It’s too late to look it up now. But maybe I’ll have a dig around and come up with something for a post as there’s not a lot Arsenal’ish to discuss in the coming weeks (assuming the good times continue to roll)

I’m really looking forward to the Ems tomorrow night first time I’ve been to the new found wall of noise, will Wigan inspire an atmosphere? I fear it’ll be one of those games that needs a ref cock up to get us going in the stands.

223. ne says:

I wont predict anything, cause football is unpredictable, better if we take the game one by one approach. Hope same approach being use next season….

224. jnyc says:

Please, lets not over think this. There are thousands of permutations of how this can play out. Just hope that the arsenal players and manager are focused on wigan right now. Because if we blow it, we will all say they were looking ahead, or not paying attention to the task at hand. We must do our job, and hope our continued success demoralizes our competition.

jnyc/ne. You both echo the stand taken by AW since the turn of the year.

He has been consistent in his assertion that Arsenal will not look beyond the next game. In every interview he stonewalls any prediction.

However, being fans we cannot influence anything, so why not have some fun about it?

226. Gooner In Exile says:

Raddy, it’s that strange dilemma of a footy fan we actually think things we do affect performances on the pitch. I guess jnyc and ne are thinking they should be like the players.

Didn’t you have some lucky socks?

GIE :-)

I know, I know …….. but this morning logic is ruling my usual emotive viewpoint.

Won’t happen again.

I’m with ne and jnyc.
    I’ve seen some say that 3rd is sown up already. How can it be sown up with 5 games to play?
    Slack, lazy, complacent thinking will cost us. If the fans turn up tonight assuming we’ve already beaten Wigan, will they support the team properly? Will they heck.

229. Gooner In Exile says:

In honour of tonight’s visitors I’d like to change Chas’s last sentence to:

Will they ‘eck as like!

Raddy I try and be logical when it comes to accepting bad results and emotive in my defence of such defeats. :)

Well put it this way, if GiE turns up, we’ve had it!
    aaaaand, gooood morning all.

Chas,
    I guess the thinking is there must be a fine line between “lacking confidence” and being “over confident or dissing the opposition”. (been desperate to use “dissing”)
    Naturally, along the lines of the tactical bollocks, its all psycho babble as far as I’m concerned.

232. oz gunner says:

Morning all

I get what your saying Chas, but really is there anything wrong with having confidence in the team? There is a difference between being complacent and having faith that they WILL not take it easy and therefore belt the opposition. I get what your saying but i don’t think anyone on here thinks we are going to breeze through the rest of the games. Last year yes, this year no!

233. oz gunner says:

damn you micky!

I was ‘confident’ we’d beat QPR.

I wasn’t really because I know that anything can happen in a two horse race.

236. evonne says:

Chas – no you were not, you texted me ‘maybe’ when I asked before the game :)

Morning all

Hey, what about Arry for England? Surely the FA cannot appoint that total loser to be the national team’s manager?

So, does that mean that Redknapp will stay at Spurs and make some of their fans even less happy than they are at present? Future looks bright, so much piss to be taken of the neighbours :)

237. I`ve just seen JT`s clearance off the line for the Chav`s second goal, unbelievable !, the Reff has a clear view of the ball entering JT`s Rectum and being headed out by his pet Gerbil, a good case for Anal Technology imo.

238. evonne says:

Oh yeah, apparently Arry is spurs longest serving manager this centuary, 3 years, pah! What did we say about continuity?

Oz,
    A few weeks ago some said Citeh at home and Stoke away were the most difficult fixtures we had left. They could quite easily turn into the two easiest games for us in the run-in.
    It just doesn’t make sense to me to judge games in advance. I’d rather leave that to the bookies.

240. evonne says:

Chas – or you could use GM epic line ‘I have no idea, I am a hairdresser’

241. Morning all, I hope you early birds have been laughing at any spuds they may happen to know :)

Incidentally, why am I not on the “AAers at the Tavern widget” ?

Have I been barred because of my drunken antics last time out ? :(

242. I suppose It`s fitting the FA are called the “FA”, as you get sweet FA out of them !

Yes is the answer Chary, although I understand it was a request to the site from the Landlord concerning behaviour and excessive drinking. There’s an offy over the road doing a fabulous range of strong cheap cider, and I’m sure the regulars will wave and smile at you through the window.

Is that the one where you have to pay through a grill?

That’s the one Chas. They do provide paper bags, and there’s a sturdy bench but 10 yards away.

Morning chary – you’re top of the list now :)

I’ve booked an early train to save a few quid, so I’ll see you at the bench at 5 ish, Chary, ok?

Apparently this was Martin Atkinson’s view of the incident at Wembley.

249. Chas/Mdi89 – I blame having to play form teams that I fear for the excessive drinking – it’s the only way to keep the nerves in check.

When I got the ticket Wigan were poo – dam them and their recent improvement !

250. Raddy – can you let me know when you’re out of the post please

251. New Post …………….

Pressure, pressure.

Very funny Mick/chas. I have a wonderful picture of Chary paying for his Thunderbird through a grill while you sit in comfort :-)

253. penn state jersey…

[...]2 Prizes; 4 Teams; 5 Games; 29 Days « Arsenal Arsenal[...]…