Arsenal: back to earth with a jolt.

Few people have wanted to write about our losses this season – there have been too many sadly – and yesterday was no exception. Watching the game on a good stream it was difficult to draw any positives from a lacklustre performance that was more reminiscent of the dark days in January than the recent exciting football we have witnessed.

There were a few shocks. The team selection was strange for a start. It seems that Arsene hasn’t noticed that the team is unbalanced when he starts with Song, Arteta, Rosicky and Ramsey, who out of that four is supposed to run the left wing? Yesterday it was pretty clear that none of them were going to be, which meant that we only had an attacking outlet with Theo on the right.

Why does Ramsey have to start? Why can’t Gervihno or Oxlade-Chamberlain play for 60 minutes and then bring on Ramsey? If Ramsey starts then surely one of Arteta or Rosicky has to be dropped and Ramsey play in their role but Arteta and Rosicky are pretty undroppable at the moment so what’s the answer? Clearly Arsene needs more time to decide but we struggled against Everton away precisely because the aforementioned four started and yesterday the same problem occurred.

Wenger’s post match pretty much laid the blame at the players feet

It is very frustrating because they left us the ball and waited for our mistakes. We took the ball, did not do a lot with it and made the mistakes. At the end of the day that made the result.

Our performance was not good enough to win this kind of game, especially in the duels. They had a little bit of extra special commitment that took advantage of us in some specific positions defensively. Overall we can only congratulate QPR for their attitude and be unhappy with our own performance.

Playing teams that are fighting to stay in the Premier League are always going to be extra difficult to play against but it looked liked one of our senior players had decided to take control of the game all by himself. What was up with Vermaelen? He deserted Koscielny early on in the first half, was culpable for QPR taking the lead and seemed to not want to be a centre-back. In addition Song was finding it difficult to make his Fabregas-like passes find an Arsenal player. I don’t have a problem with Song or indeed any Arsenal player looking to play an eye of the needle pass except when a simpler pass would have done the trick and yesterday there were a few occasions when just passing the ball would have worked better.

Anyway, moaning apart, we started well, but after 5 minutes of not scoring we allowed QPR to get into the game and they went ahead in the 22nd minute. In the 37th minute Robin was fouled just outside the box but the ref allowed the play to continue and luckily Theo was alert and managed a shot that hit the post and rebounded into his path for him to slot home. I always like it when we come from behind but could we push on and actually craft out a win?

We started the second half brightly but were hampered by not really being able to find the right ball for Robin who seemed to be limping. At around the hour mark Robin hit a great free-kick that was pushed away by Kenny and in the next minute Robin is through again but Paddy Kenny makes a great save. The pressure had been building and it did look like we would score but in the 66th minute Mackie skips past Vermaelen and squares a ball to Diakite to score. 2-1.

There was a change in the 69th minute with Gervihno coming on for Ramsey but QPR were happy to dig in and make it even harder for us to play through them. When that change didn’t achieve anything Chamakh and The Ox were brought on for Gibbs and Arteta in the 82nd minute. I’d like to see changes made earlier when we’re chasing a goal, I can’t see how either Chamakh or The Ox really had time to change the game.

And so it came to pass that we lost our 9th game of the season. We didn’t play very well, we certainly didn’t create enough and probably didn’t deserve to get anything from the game. Was it complacency that led to this, certainly I didn’t think that we would falter in west London. We are still in third though and hopefully will see the weekend out there. The chavs won, the oily chavs dropped points and the scum play today. Seven games to go and still I think there’ll be  some twists and turns on the road to staying in the top four.

I’m optimistic that we’ll return to winning ways next Sunday against the oily ones.

Written by peachesgooner

And the following was written by LB

Yet another one of those infuriating games in which on paper we start as favourites but as the reality of the game dawns we are left with the very same paper embarrassingly crumpled in our hands.

Damn that was frustrating, made even worse by the fact that I have at least ten good friends who support that team, I am going to have to suffer smug knowing looks every time I see one of them. And believe me they have memories like elephants I still find myself from time to time in ear shot of them telling that silly story of oh I was there when John Jenson scored and Impey and blah, blah, blah they won three one if you didn’t know; still, at least they will have a new story to bang on about.

What? You want me to talk about the game? Are you sure? Well, we were crap but some players played more crap than others and I am not going to do the polite thing and just say oh well that was just a bad day at the office and we should all move on and focus our attention on the next game. That my friends makes for a very, very boring blog. Match reports are supposed to be about the opinion of the author, it has to be surely because if it was just about describing the game we could all just go and read far more articulate reports from the likes of Henry Winter.

Ok the game; there were two clear managerial strategies in play: QPR’s was to sit back and wait for us to make mistakes and ours was to play a close, tight, quick passing game in the hope of finding a way round them. The result says all we need to know as to whose strategy turned out to be the most effective.

For long periods we moved the ball around the half way line with all the penetrative thrust of a two month old banana. QPR just waited until we made mistakes and picked us off. And that is the fixture and the match report consigned to the dustbin after one sentence.

Szczesny: starting to believe his own hype, he is taking more and more risks and because of that he will not go the whole season without one major embarrassment. Should have held onto the ball and calmed play down just before QPR’s winning goal. 5

Sagna: a shinning light in a sea of mediocrity. 7

Koscielny: just when I was sitting back smugly thinking, well TA do you still prefer Mertasacker’s slow, giraffe-like style to the lightning mobility of the Frole and the Belgiun, Kozzer goes and puts in a scatter brained performance like that. 6

Vermaelen: Tom you were all over the place mate. 4

Gibbs: time for a change, I expect Santos to start in the next game, we needed attacking nous today and Gibbs left us wanting. 5

Song: you can’t blame him for the lack of chances created, well I can’t anyway. I wish he would be a bit greedier and have a shot when he gets the chance. 6

Arteta: The Spaniard gets my MOTM if one has to be awarded; he at least looked as though it really mattered to him. 7.5

Rosicky: went back to his ineffectual dreadful self, missed placed passes, running into dead ends, poor tackles. 4

Walcott: now you would think that I of all people would save the bulk of my wrath for Theo but even though there was very little space to operate in and his control still leaves a lot to be desired he was not bad, the goal obviously helped but all in all I liked Theo’s attitude. 7.25

Van Persie: service, what service? Isolated for most of the game, not at his majestical best when he got the ball it must be said. 6

Ramsey: we have a problem here, young Aaron is too good to be left on the bench and not good enough to be playing. Wenger knows he would never accept being on the bench for any length of time, he would be off, so the Welshman is shoe-horned into the left wing which as we all saw was no good for him and no good for the team. Yes, I know he is young and yes I know he will improve but this comment is about his performance against QPR. 4.5

I have gone from not caring one way or the other as to whether QPR go down to yelling: open the trap door now and let the bunch of banned words drop.

Written by LB (Not a happy bunny).

134 Responses to Arsenal: back to earth with a jolt.

Well that killed the conversation, shame we couldn’t have a picture of a beach up there.

Well played Peaches and LB.
    No score for Arsene I see. I ask the question “do the players have the first idea who does what and where with that formation, whatever it was”. Rosicky had no space. RvP had no space. Why? Because it was us that sucked the whole game into a clogged middle. Yuk game.
    Off to the beach. :-)

Really pleased I didn’t report on my Loftus Road experience, else we would have missed out on those two. It was another of those days where I enjoyed all of the day except for the bit between 3pm and 4.55pm.

Thanks Peaches and LB.

Not one but two interesting reads. Much to agree with in both posts.

This morning I am more in LB’s camp – pee’d off and not caring about the how’s and why’s.

Thanks peaches and LB, I agree with you both :P

My observations are this:

1. I’m not sure having a week between games is good for our team, we didn’t look sharp or match fit yesterday.

2. Sending out a team to accommodate Ramsey just because he’s good is madness. We have two very capable wide left players, one of those should have started.

3., The midfield was narrow, cluttered and ineffective. No-one seems to know their required position except Areteta and he just uses his intelligence to plug the gaps.

4. Those who said Song was MotM were way off the mark. He misplaced far too many passes and twice kicked the ball straight off in the last 10 minutes when we needed to get the equaliser. LB is correct, Arteta was MotM.

5. Theo is really showing his worth, I hope he signs a new contract. 10 goals now this season. I’d bet that at least half the side would have put the rebound over the bar but he was very composed in the finish.

Why Chamakh? Did he touch the ball?

And if AW is going to use him, give the lad a chance to break sweat.

Yesterday’s loss was as much about AW as the team. He started badly and compounded his mistakes by leaving the subs so late (not that they made any difference)

7. oz gunner says:

cheers for the very good read peaches and LB

Really liked the player ratings LB, and i too felt Arteta was the man of the match. Numerous times Adel tried to get passed him with skill but every time Arteta stripped him of it (A shame vermaelen couldn’t do the same).

You raise a good point…it is very very rare seeing Song shoot. Which is surprising because the last goal i saw him score was executed brilliantly. I worry now that Song has had a few top notch assists that he’s going to go for the hail mary everytime. Yes he has it in him, but sometimes simplicity is needed.

8. robbinURpersie says:

Thanks Peaches and LB, i agree with you both.. i love wenger and all he has done and will do for us,but yesterday was criminal..he gets a 4 from me..our style was narrowed and our midfield congested..

Agree with Rasp, some players dont seem to know their roles..not once did we attack on the left and when pushing forward two of our three midfielders were not coming back.. and why oh why is ramsey taking the ball away from arteta deep in our half..has wenger suggested he wants the kid to take this role from Arteta..on 3 occassions he did this and twice Arteta looked frustrated..

thanks for the report, im back off to beach mode for a while..

9. oz gunner says:

good points Rasper. I agree BR, there really is no point in subs that late unless:

1) solidifying the defence and locking the game down.
    2) giving a youngster some valuable game time.

It rarely works, and most times as we see with MC he can’t even find the ball

10. robbinURpersie says:

hey Oz,

whats that place/beach up north in your state where they feed the dolphins? is it monkey mia or something like that? have you been there?

11. oz gunner says:

yeah monkey mia. Nah never been, a lot of family and friends have been and they all loved it though

12. robbinURpersie says:

can i ask a question of AA readers..

strikers aside, are we in need of a creative midfielder (flair player) in the next TW?

robbin. Name a PL club who isn’t desperate for a top quality creative MF?

We have JW to return though he isn’t the classic creator in the Cesc mould,

14. oz gunner says:

Nope we have young jack!!! He is the COMPLETE midfielder. As soon as he adds goals to his game (easier when he’s playing further up the pitch) like the Spaniard did he will be the best midfielder in the world

15. robbinURpersie says:

BR and OZ, your both right..its been a long long time i seem to misplaced him in my memory, i was concentrating on players weve had playing and forgot we have a bigger squad to rely on which includes diaby..

i agree about jack, he will become a complete midfielder over time though

16. dandan says:

C’mon guys all this doom and gloom, you’re having me on, it’s an April the first wind up isn’t it. :-) We have lost one game in eight. You saw the narrow pitch and long grass the cup final mentality, so it worked for them, and we had a dodgy one. But hells bells not even the press are rattling their sabres the way you lot are. Carry that ratio over to next season and we will lose five games, guess I can live with that. Next week is the big one, move on.

17. dandan says:

OOP’s sorry peaches and LB, thanks for the reports you seem to have touched a nerve or two :-)

18. goonermichael says:

Thanks for the report Peaches and LB. It must be difficult to write without being really negative I thought Arsene had stopped the very late substitutions (statistics would probably prove me wrong). Robin seems to be struggling a little bit. Do you think that shearers record is playing on his mind robbin? :) sorry I’ll get my coat

19. goonermichael says:

We’ve lost one in 9 dandan. Don’t be a doomer :)

20. Theo gets bumped off the ball says:

Theo should be sold. How many times did he run into a dead-end and then failed to chase the ball back. Have I ever seen him chase back? Only when it makes him look good. He just watches defenders play out. They say he has speed. But he never uses it to win the ball back. If that is not enough the way he was politely moved off the ball time and time again says only one thing. You are not fit or strong enough to play Premier League football so go back to Beach Soccer.

Oh, and Arsene the great tactician. He should be CEO of the club not the manager. The Ox devastated them when he came on while Ramsay looked lost like most of them. I wonder what they did all week at training? Did they expect to be playing Barcelona in the Emirates Cup or a determined, physical, well-drilled and sometimes creative team fighting for their lives?

21. dandan says:

Thanks Mike never could count. Welcome to AA Theo If thats a first contribution it doesnt pull any punches,but hey that’s allowed on here.Come back and join in when were busy.

22. robbinURpersie says:

GM, :-)

i think that question has been asked over 27 times….

yet to be answered :-)

leave your coat…your a funny bloke, beaches, fishing and your one liners will do the trick to get me back to good spirits

Tgbotb,

You choose a strange time to come on and lambast Theo when he scored our only goal yesterday. IMO Theo is at worst a potentially devastating sub and at best, (if he continues to improve) a mainstay of the side.

I agree he needs to be better when we’re not in possession. If he read the game better he should be able to use his pace to intercept passes.

Its crazy to have him back defending corners, he should be on the half way line ready to instigate a lightening attack. He would tie up at least 2 of the opposition’s defenders as well as posing a goal threat on the break.

24. dandan says:

Arsenal is launching a perfume that smells like the Emirates Stadium.

The £23 perfume includes a whiff of oils in the players’ massage area, the fresh-cut pitch and leather from boss Arsene Wenger’s dugout seat.

Experts who blended the scent also included a hint of matchday food prepared in the posh Diamond Club by celebrity chef Raymond Blanc — and even a touch of striker Robin van Persie’s hair products.

England star Jack Wilshere, 20 — who helped pick and test aromas — said: “This brings me right back to the heart of Emirates Stadium whenever I want.”

25. Arsenalista says:

Poor performance yesterday which to me highlIghts three things.

1. Song is an anchor man who hits a good long through ball and should play that role. He isn’t and attacking midfielder. However many assists he get. Protect your back four. He is best when he does that.

2. When Rosicky is not at his best we still require a creator. That could be JW but it is an issue.

3. This team doesn’t balance without two wingers, daft leaving Ox, Gervinho and Benayoun all on the bench but I understand why he did it.

Rasp.You make a good point about corners.

Being an armchair fan I always assume we have someone on the halfway line. The camera rightly focus on the penalty area

27. John says:

It was the team selection that lost the game. It’s no coincidence that team that got battered in Milan was beaten by QPR yesterday. Wenger has to learn this, if the team is to move forward and progress to the next level.

Hi Raddy, I have never seen Theo or any other Arsenal player on the halfway line when we’re defending a corner under Wenger.

If you view football as a game of chess, putting Theo on the halfway line and tying up a couple of their defenders who might otherwise be in our box is like sacrificing a pawn for a castle – no brainer you’d think?

John. Difficult to argue with that.

Rasp. AW is a better tactician than either of us.

I would like to hear his explanation as to why no-one goes forward. And why we don’t have 2 players on the line at every corner.

Good point about players on the goal line Raddy – for me it should be obligatory unless the keeper is dead against it. If we’re not careful we’ll get into the zonal marking debate again :roll:

Rasp.I have spent a couple of disgusting hours sorting out a kitchen sink drainage problem.

Zonal Marking would be a pleasure :-)

I shall respond to that in the manner of Red Arse Raddy, I take it you’re not laughing like a drain, it must be driving you round the u bend – hope you’re flushed with success, if the missus is responsible I’d sew’er

34. robbinURpersie says:

:-) :-) :-)

35. goonermichael says:

I hope the barcodes batter the bindippers today

…. not to mention the swan’s ‘upping’ the spuds gm

37. robbinURpersie says:

carroll booked for diving and appealing for a penalty..
    wow, never thought id see that from atkinson

38. TotalArsenal says:

Well done Peaches and LB to make a bit of sense out of yesterday’s game. :)

39. TotalArsenal says:

Nice beach videos from across Europe and Australia earlier today.

This is Holkam beach in North Norfolk, 40 min drive away. Have a good day.

40. goonermichael says:

Get in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TA,

I love Holkham beach, I’ve spent many a happy afternoon there. The tide goes out miles and the water is crystal clear – but isn’t there a dangerous undertow and the tide comes in very quickly and often catches holidaymakers out if I recall.

42. goonermichael says:

liverpool are so damn ugly

43. robbinURpersie says:

i heard they have glass windows in merseyside so that liverpool supporters can go window shopping

44. goonermichael says:

Good match reports.
    Busy today so I can’t join the debate.
    But let’s all stay positive – we’re not just the team that lost to QPR, we’re also the team that put together a great run just before that.

46. robbinURpersie says:

why do pidgeons fly upside down in liverpool?

coz theres’ nothing worth shitting on..

Thanks for the post peaches and LB and I commented on all there was to be said yesterday.
    Watching the newcastle v Liverpool match I think ben Arfa would fit into our team so well, good buy by Newcastle.

This diving is really getting out of hand.Carroll should have been sent off,, or any player who simulates like that, surely that would stop this once and for all. If the decision is marginal that’s another matter.

The beaches in Marbella are shite.,Dirty, ,not maintained properly, the sea is polluted but they know how to charge for drinks and food..I leave the beaches to the tourists.

48. Red Arse says:

Good Posts, and interesting comments.

I cannot escape the feeling that it is as pointless to give any number of excuses/reasons for yesterday’s result, as it is to talk about who was our MOTM.

Let’s see — there have been understandable suggestions that the team selection was wrong; the tactics were wrong; the substitutions were too late, the grass was too long; the ref allowed too much strong-arm tackling; the half-time oranges were too sharp; etc, — all or some of these may be true, but it is unlikely there will be a consensus (especially about my oranges theory), and anyway, for a top team, all these excuses sound a bit lame frankly.

The incontrovertible difference, between the winning Arsenal teams of the last month or so and, yesterday’s losing team, and one that surely we can all agree on, was the lack of impetus, caused by a dreadful lack of pace in our passing game, resulting in too much of the ineffectual slow, slow, not-quick, not-quick just slow rhythm.

The whole team from defence to the midfield and offense seemed to suffer from this reversion to cross pitch, over elaborate passing, to static, well marked receivers, who played like strangers not anticipating the passers intentions.

It happens – let it go. Big games coming up! :-)

49. goonermichael says:

I’m not really a beach person as I can’t spend time in the sun. I like beachcombing though. I like Ben Arfa too Kelsey. My son just told me we bought nasri instead of him. not sure how true that is.

50. Red Arse says:

That is my understanding too, GM.

The deal for Ben Arfa was supposedly well advanced when the possibility to get Nasri instead came up, and Arsenal changed their target because they judged him to be a better player.

OK, for those waiting to say “how do you know?” – I don’t.

I read that story in L’Equipe at the time, and he certainly looks like an Arsenal type player.

51. goonermichael says:

What a calm finish

52. goonermichael says:

The bindipper fans are ugly too

53. robbinURpersie says:

wouldnt have been great for our dressing room harmony..its well known he and diaby are bestest friendz ;-) (check out youtube)

but than we can argue that neither was nasri

how are you redders?

54. goonermichael says:

RA
    How are you? Haven’t seen you for a while

55. goonermichael says:

well offside though

56. robbinURpersie says:

definately

On my stream, Cisse was at least 3m offside.

Was he?

BR,
    he was initially but not interfering with play but then when the ball was crossed he was onside. Stupid rule IMO

59. Red Arse says:

Hi guys, :-)

Been reading your Post, GM. Excellent! — you obviously have a latent writing talent to go with your terrific professional life! :-) More, please!

RurP, love Australia, and the fantastic lifestyle, altho I read another guy who was spear fishing in Western Australia, (near Perth?) was killed by a Great White yesterday. Terrifying!

Tomorrow! :-)

60. robbinURpersie says:

close enough to 3m Raddy ;-) ..but it was 100% offside..

alot of refs seem to get confused by this second phase rule which wouldnt and shouldnt have applied here as no one touched the ball before it got to cisse..

61. Red Arse says:

BR,

First ‘phase’ he was offside, but when the other players passed him, he became onside in the second ‘phase’. All bollix.

Bye! :-)

The Newcastle player should be banned for 6 games for getting Reina sent off.

Yes, Reina was stupid but Perch needs a good shoeing for that.

Thanks for explanation. Don’t understand it but thanks.

64. robbinURpersie says:

And still they will persist with king kenny..

i feel sorry for benitez and hodgson, their records were great compared to this mugs and the money spent…

65. goonermichael says:

Reina was stupid though Raddy. That’s 2 dives from English players. Obviously a foreign disease :)

66. goonermichael says:

There was only one “phase” as no one touched it.

67. robbinURpersie says:

does winning the FA cup guarantee europa league place?

Errmmmm. Don’t know.

69. goonermichael says:

I think so robbin If Everton may already have a place but I think I’m wrong

70. oz gunner says:

by all accounts ben arfa is quite a bother in the change room as well. When he was heavily linked with us his misdemeanour’s and attitude was well documented. Alan Pardew also stated that he is very high maintenance player off the pitch but his class is undeniable.

Cisse seems to be a very handy pick up by newcastle. You can’t fault their transfer dealing: tiote, cabaye, cisse, ba, santon

71. robbinURpersie says:

not bad oz,

do you think that team will get picked apart by the big fish of world football?

72. robbinURpersie says:

winner of CC goes to Europa..

winner of Fa Cup goes to europa, if the winner has already qualified for Europe at all, the runner up gets the spot..

id like everton into the final, that way theyre guaranteed win or lose

73. oz gunner says:

no doubt RuVP, but then again they will be playing european football so that may fend off a few sharks. I just can’t see players like ben afa, tiote, and ba sticking around a team like toon if the big teams come sniffing about. I mean essien is falling apart and getting on, if they asked about tiote of course they’d go.

I don’t know how they did it Newcastle. Yes they underperformed badly in their relegation season, but it seems to have galvanised the squad. They got rid of the bad seeds, got a big financial push from liverpool (sale of carrol) and presto look where they are now!

74. robbinURpersie says:

if im correct most will be on recently signed contracts so funds will be coming in as well..
    Not bad getting a clean sheet without colloccini..
    your fav. player at toon did well (williamson)

75. Gooner In Exile says:

Afternoon all, after our beach chatette this morning I decided to sort my compost heap and mow the lawn. Now TA has posted that link to Holkham im thinking I should have gone there instead.

Although walk the wrong way and you can get surrounded by naturists. As Rasp said there is a bit of a vicious undertow but it’s worse at Brancaster where despite endless warnings and a memorial to a youngster who got swept away I still see parents let their kids off with inflatables and see families crossing the inlet to get to a shipwreck.

My next post will be more footbally

The converse is true of Liverpool. Sell Torres and spunk the money on no-marks.

Carroll, Adam, Henderson, Downing ……. all cost a bundle. Suarez is a good player but I would hate to have such a cheat at AFC.

So, 100m on players and they win the CC. Great investment.

77. Gooner In Exile says:

Thanks for the reports LB and Peaches. Very much fans perspective which is good.

I’m surprised more haven’t commented on TV both Peaches and LB do and I agree with them both. Don’t get me wrong as much as I like him and detest picking out players I don’t think he helped the team in an attacking sense. He made two mistakes for the goal but that could e put down to an off day.

Many have commented how narrow we were yesterday TV going forward as often as he did made sure we had no outlet on the left as Gibbs could not dare to move forward with no cover. At one point TV bypassed Song and Arteta and you could see the quizzical look on their faces as they had to decide who was going to fill in.

If he had done that at 1-1 with 5-10 minutes to go and going for the win that’s fine, but throughout the first half and lots in the second half he kept going forward when he should just have concentrate on being a centre back. Maybe he is worried that when BFG returns he needs to find a new place in the side. If Djourou or Squillacci had played like that yesterday they would be getting pelters from all angles, but as TV is the one we all love he escapes heavy criticism and it’s called an off day.

The same applies to RvP who whilst starved of service had one chance to put us 2-1 up and should have done better, remember the castigation of NikB last year in CampNou. Ok people will say RvP has earned our goodwill and NikB rates himself too highly, but moments to be ruthless win leagues. Robin himself said recently that the team must prove they can be more consistent, I hope he will recognise that yesterday he failed to be consistent himself.

78. goonermichael says:

liverpool are a joke atm. everything about them is being ridiculed

79. robbinURpersie says:

GiE, i agree with everything you said..we were poor all over and if we had strength in depth than TV5 shouldnt be starting next game, but shouldnt we be able to create multiple scoring chances…especially at a team like QPR?

80. goonermichael says:
  81. Gooner In Exile says:

Deleted cos GM beat me too it.

82. robbinURpersie says:

c’mon swannies

83. goonermichael says:

Early in this game a Swansea player could have gone down for a penalty but stayed on his feet. contrast that with monkeyboy despicable little simian cheat,

84. SharkeySure says:

Cheers for the write up LB and RHWP.

Yep, odd team set up yesterday, however that doesn’t cause RVP to give Kenny achance, not does it gift themtwo goals.

GiE. I fully agree with your comments re Tommy V.

Oh well, its gone and we move on.

I’m just mailing new undersized boots to Sergio Aguero…help him keep those blisters going…..

85. Gooner In Exile says:

Bollox!

Got it. Here’s how it goes.
    Utd win at Blackburn tomorrow. 5 point gap over City.
    Spuds lose at Sunderland on saturday.
    Utd win on sunday before we kick off. 8 point gap.
    We go for the jugular against City straight from the off with our “winning line up”, and get an early goal. City give up. We thrash them and restore our gap.
    Yip, that works well.

87. Gooner In Exile says:

Sunderland are playing well right now Micky so anythings possible.

I’d still rather 21 pts from 24 than the haul of the sorry spuds over the last 8 games.

My money says every single AA’er living within 20 miles of a beach was seasiding it today after this mornings session on here :-)

GiE,
    Its simply not possible for that lot to finish above us. Relax :-)

Pool losing is sooo good. Newcastle to finish above Spuds and Chavs? Not impossible, I’ve looked at their run in. City at home in may, who may have given up on everything by then, and Chavs away where a draw might do it.

Micky. Not here mate. It was 5C with a freezing cold wind blasting it’s way over the Baltic Sea.

I was luxuriating on the ‘net looking for the best snorkeling beaches in the world.

If we beat the Chavs we are kushty

93. goonermichael says:

We have to beat them Raddy

Raddy,
    In your boots, I’d find it almost impossible to drag myself away from the mountain retreat.
    True about beating the Chavs. Spurs will collapse though :-)

95. goonermichael says:

I’d have liked to have Eduardo on the bench rather than Chamakh

96. goonermichael says:

assou ekotto should have got at least a yellow card

I did the BBC predictor and I make it 16 points from 21 giving us 74 points and 3rd by 4 points from Spurs, .

98. Gooner In Exile says:

Micky I like that more than my “Like for Like” schedule right now which has us and Spuds finishing on 72 pts (if current swings compared to last year are maintained). Maybe I need to add a Peter Snow swingometer to the spreadsheet.

(We are 4 points up on our results from the same games last year).

Swing away GiE :-)

You know what, some Gunners will be a little unhappy as the Spuds have drawn level on points today, but many of us have the odd Spud friend, so I really don’t begrudge them a little moment of hope today. They will have gone merrily home thinking top four is on the cards, but come on. No chance. Does anyone here honestly believe we won’t finish above them? Nah.

101. Gooner In Exile says:

I realise now Kelsey had done the predictor, I got us to 71 pts with 1 to play and Spuds on 70 at the same time.

Anyone know why we play on Saturday 5th against Norwich but everyone else plays Sunday? Is it Cup final day or something?

102. oz gunner says:

i have us finishing on 76 points with the spuds finishing on 71 points. But i also took into account gut wrenching food poisoning but the remainder of man united and man citys season, so that leaves man united stuck on 73 points and us winning the league!!!

We did it, what a turn around!

103. Gooner In Exile says:

Really?

“Strong arm Stoke accuse Wigan of roughing up Etherington”

GIE @ 10:01
    You were right about Cup final day.
    (see 3rd paragraph)

105. robbinURpersie says:

King Kenny’s comments on Carrolls dive after pool lost to toon

“No, it wasnt a penalty..I felt he was already losing his balance”

Errrm, Great save Ken…can this guy get any better?..

Forget the “king” title, he is more like the joker in the pack

106. Gooner In Exile says:

Chas thanks.

I haven’t seen the dive Oz but I spoke to a LFC supporting friend last night he said it was an open goal if he stayed on his feet as he was round the keeper. This made me ask two questions:
    1) Does Kenny encourage diving so much that it’s second nature?
    2) Did Carrol not want to score against his old team?

Spoke to another LFC fan on Saturday night who predicted the defeat, he said if it wasn’t Kenny the fans would be calling for his head. At the moment he still has the goodwill of many older fans. I asked on twitter last night :

Have the LFC owners employed an unsackable manager?

The reason I ask is there is not great feeling towards the US owners if they sack the Liverpool legend will they get a massive backlash?

It beggars the question, Would L’pool fans prefer 8th and the Carling Cup or to be in our situation?

According to the BBC and Sky pundits, silverware is all important. I disagree entirely.

108. Morning early birds, we’re going to need loads of posts this week so get writing please – no game until Sunday :(

109. robbinURpersie says:

clearly open goal when he forced a one v one with the keeper and could have slid the ball under the keeper before deciding to round him, and yes he could have stayed on his feet to score..

Dont think Carrol didnt want to score though, the crowd had turned on all the ex toon players..and when he was subbed he was seen mouthing at the LFC dugout saying “F*k this, i dont need this F**kn shit, this is an F**kn joke”..I think the pressure is getting to many people at LFC

Catch 22 with Kenny, his status as LFC legend is the only thing keeping him in a job..

Amazing that Luis Enrique left toon for pool saying that Newcastle lacked ambition for a top 6 finish compared to what the table looks like most recently

110. Gooner In Exile says:

Morning Peaches I’ll rustle something up for you. I had a post in mind but fear the result on the weekend has screwed it up. At the moment it may be why the f*** has my Sky box stopped working. A phone call to customer services beckons and that’s never good.

111. robbinURpersie says:

Big Raddy,

in regards to your comment @8.03am.
    I cant remember which recent season Pool missed out on the EPL title by 1 point when Torres was firing, but i remember my brother (pool fan) saying that they dont care for Europe anymore and that their sole focus was to win the domestic league..

These days he barely watches the team, deleted his LFC account and said he would give anything to watch pool mix it up in the Champions League again..

From here on in, it will only get harder to attract quality players and they cant survive on their history alone..

To put it simply, that is the importance of finishing in the top4 and i wouldnt swap our position for a CC and Fa Cup only to finish 7th, 8th… No WAY!

112. GiE – have you done the re-booting thing? Turn it off at the wall, unplug it and leave it for 5 minutes before turning it back on. It will take another 3-4 minutes to re-boot. Have you done that?

113. rURp – I have to agree wholeheartedly with your 8.21, it’s much more important to finish in the top 4 than winning the CC or FA cup however nice an outing to Wembley would be. I know so many season ticket holders who won’t go to Europa games if that’s the competition we end up in ……………….

114. robbinURpersie says:

thanks Peaches,

would you give up your season ticket if that was the case with us?
    and how did your birthday go? hope you had a great day :-)

Peaches. Not sure I agree. The CC is Micky Mouse but IMO the FAC is remains a big trophy.

I would take the FAC and 6th for one season.

If they don’t go to Europa League then it allows real supporters to get a ticket. We didn’t complain about winning the Cup Winners Cup did we?

Don’t start me off on plastic fans ……

Snowing here !!!!

117. robbinURpersie says:

thats the catch Raddy..

there is no guarantee that it will only be for one season..im sure all pool fans were hoping and believed it to be a one-off transitional year, and boy were they wrong..

118. We’ll have to disagree then Raddy ;) Good thing you’re heading off for a bit of Italy and leaving cold snowy Denmark behind you ….

119. oz gunner says:

i find it coincidental that carrol’s form dipped once he split from his cocaine dealer Nolan. I wish steven taylor was fit last night because seeing them two go at it would of been worth the price of admission itself (considering carrol broke steven taylors jaw in a training ground bust up).

I was talking to a pool mate the other day and he is blaming it on the injury to Lucus. I find it funny how they pine for him so much yet he used to get ridiculed more than denilson did.

120. Exactly rURp, no guarantee except we are The Arsenal but I still don’t want to chance it :D

robbin. Unlike the Scouse, we would not need to buy our way out of the problem. With the superb kids coming through we would bounce back. And the senior players should be even more fired up

But of course, that scenario will never happen.

122. dandan says:

Morning all, nice positive start to the day, My pool supporting son wants Kenny away and he thinks there is a place for Carroll in fact he has offered to dig it :-)

Waiting for the phone to ring Dr is doing his ward rounds, Wife still very weak, but wards so full they may send her home today for me to look after.

Big question for the Experts on here with hose pipe bans starting, do I spend good money on a load of plants or let it go for a year and manage what I have with a watering can.

123. [...] LB correctly points out in Arsenal Arsenal’s review post yesterday, Ramsey presents a problem for the manager. Too good for the bench, but not enough to play. Wenger [...]

124. oz gunner says:

i hope she starts getting stronger soon Dandan, how can she not with you taking good care of her. All the best

Wow did LB and AA get a mention in an article???

125. Red Arse says:

RurP,

I watched highlights of the Pool/Toon game last night, and I have to tell you, you were right and I was wrong, yesterday, about the second Toon goal.

Altho Cisse was in an offside position at first, I thought a Newcastle player had touched it on, in second phase, for him to score a valid goal, so I called it good, but it was clear in the replay that Ben Arfa did not get a touch, and so the goal should have been disallowed for offside.

Not that I care about Pool, but fair do’s to you on the offside.

I have argued long and hard that these offside rules are poor, and that is one example that proves it. ‘Goals’ like that can be ruled ‘out’ or ‘allowed’ based on whether a ref sees a ‘bobble’, or not, or whether the player was ‘active’ or not.

Rules or laws that are not understood, or cannot be seen by all, or are not consistently applied by officials, are bad laws — in football or general life!

Auzzies 1; Yanks 0 :-)

126. robbinURpersie says:

Morning Dandan,

Be strong mate, all the best..

when you say ‘hose pipe bans’ is that in regards to water restrictions..if so, we have that occurrence here in Oz and people wisely invested in rain water tanks and connecting your hose to that..and yes the grass does stay greener on the other side ;-)

127. Planting expert here – don’t buy any annuals, they are high maintenance and need much too much watering to do by hand. Geraniums – pah – will survive though if you must. Get loads of horse manure compost, lay it really deep and mulch your soil – buy worms and they’ll do a great job for you improving moisture retention.

I usually charge a huge fee for that information ;)

128. New Post ………………

129. robbinURpersie says:

morning Redders :-)

agreed on the offside rule..IMO if 1 player is offside whether active or inactive it should stand as offside..this 2nd phase rule only benefits lazy players who choose not to read the play..its schoolboy football..

in regards to your scoring system between Aussies and Yanks, i think you used the term ‘wordsmiths’ to describe some writers on here at AA and in that dept. im excluding ozgunner so…

Yanks 200 Aussies 0

(its probably why i feel intimidated in writing a headline post..i compare the situation to a gym where the scrawny guy(me) doesnt want to workout because of the steroid junkies (wordsmiths on AA)
    does that make sense? :-) :-) :-)

130. dandan says:

LOL Thanks peaches!!! was soooo proud of my display of Geraniums grown in my greenhouse last year :-(Garden looks miles ahead at the moment but fear this frost we are having. Even the Cherry trees are in bloom, will not bother with Annuals thank you. :-)

131. recipe cooking guide…

[...]Arsenal: back to earth with a jolt. « Arsenal Arsenal[...]…