Au Revoir Arsène

On 28th August 20011 we lost to Manchester United 8-2. It was the heaviest defeat in our 125 year history. Two of our best players wanted out. We were 17th in the league with 1 point and heading for our worst start in years

The press were scathing

Ollie Holt from the mirror said:

“Liverpool have strengthened while Arsenal have gone backwards”

On Talkshite Adrian Durham started using this slogan when referring to Wenger:

“he used to be good, now he’s rubbish”

The press were unanimous that Wenger had lost the plot

The blogs were worse.

Why did we only buy Gervinho?

Why do we have so much ‘deadwood’?

Why did we waste £16m on Oxlade- Chamberlain from Southampton? We need ‘ready made’s’ not more kids.

Some on here (including me) were beginning to question him.

Most people agreed we had no chance of top 4.

Arsène Wenger had lost the fans, the press and allegedly the dressing room. The board acted swiftly and he was sacked.

Au Revoir Arsene

In a parallel universe, the Board acts swiftly and appointed a new manager. The new man was young and unknown. He acted decisively, and in the little time available, he is busy in the transfer market.

He bought:

Per Mertesaker from Werder Bremen

Andre Santos from Fenerbahce

Park Chu-Young from Monaco

Mikel Arteta from Everton

And took Yossi Benayoun on loan from Chelsea.

He also shipped out Denilson, Bendtner and some other “deadwood” that the fans didn’t want

The fans and press weren’t entirely convinced…..

“who are Park and Santos?”

“Is Mertesaker is a crock?” (Even though some fans had been crying out for him 2 years ago)

“Arteta is not good enough to clean Fabregas’ boots”

But because he was a new manager most were prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt (and some time) and because he was young and British the press heralded him as the man to lead Arsenal.

In the first game we got lucky and beat Swansea 1 nil at home with a goal gifted by their keeper.

The next result was a disaster, we lost 3-4 at Blackburn after leading 2 nil. The press and the fans said it was Wenger’s fault as it was mostly his team.

We then beat Bolton and lost away to the spuds courtesy of a handball by Van Der Vaart.

But then we had a run of 8 games unbeaten including the 5-3 demolition of the chavs at the bus stop in Fulham. The press and the fans were now heaping praise on our new manager. “He’s finally got Arsenal playing as a team”. Something Wenger was no longer able to achieve.

Things changed when we lost all 4 full backs and had to start utilising players out of position. The press and fans agreed this was bad luck and anyone would have problems trying to cope with so many injuries.

After a bad spell including 3 losses on the bounce we started to get our players back and results improved. We are now on a 7 match winning streak only matched in Europe by the Catalan diving club.

We’ve set a new Premiere league record by winning 4 matches from a goal down proving our “mental strength”, something Wenger talked about but couldn’t deliver. The fans are now more vocal and the Emirates is becoming the home it promised.

We sit third in the table, 8 points ahead of the chavs and 3 ahead of the swamp dwellers. The fans and press agree; we must not get complacent. We need to stay focused for the rest of the season to make sure we get at least 4th but hopefully 3rd and we need to persuade RVP to sign a new contract.

With a couple of new players in the summer and Jack coming back we may even challenge for the big prizes next season.

Everyone is agreed, signing a new manager was a masterstroke by the Board. He’s rejuvenated the club, the team and the supporters.

The future looks bright.

What a shame that senile old Frenchman couldn’t have done it.

Written by goonermichael

147 Responses to Au Revoir Arsène

1. dandan says:

Well done Gooner Mike, welcome to the Ranks of DD authors: You are so right, bloody good job we moved the old fool on, personally I have never Liked him :-)

GM. Excellent. Hopefully the first of many!

I never trusted that old French bloke – too skinny by half and he had too much hair :-)

3. Morning all, nice to see a forthright debut(?) post from GM and hopefully this will encourage the more reticent of our regulars to put forward more headline posts(I’m looking at you Sharkeysure!)

As we’re into confessions, I admit to being quite happy at the prospect of a new manager after the summer transfer window debacle and run of disasterous early results.

I had braced myself for the change I felt necessary but as things turned out the change didn’t happen and we are, to quote a cliche, “where we are”.

Morning, thanks and thanks gm, no longer a ‘post virgin’ :lol:

Most supporters of other clubs thought that talk about getting rid of Wenger when we were languishing in 17th was mad – they’d give their rigth arms for a manager of his quality. Also I’m sure the stats prove (in the PL at least) that the sides that keep ytheir manager for longer generally are more successful.

5. dandan says:

Ahh Chary: Yea of little faith my friend, remember the old adage “class is permanent” lesser clubs would have made the changes; luckily we are not a lesser club.

6. The font says:

Is the new manager arsene wengers twin brother

7. Panic says:

I love that article. Brilliant work.

I’m sure we weren’t 2 up at Blackburn though. Arteta scored and Yakkiboo equalised. Gerv scored and they went 4-2 up courtesy of us scoring loads of oggies.

Still brilliant article though.

8. Panic says:

Did anyone see that article yesterday of net spending over the last few years? It shows that Wenger is even more brilliant than the most brilliant of brilliant blokes from brilliantsville.

The man is simply brilliant.

9. SharkeySure says:

*SharkeySure grinning from ear to ear*

Thats really set my Friday up nicely GM. Quality read fron start to finish

10. Goons_with_Guns says:

Wenger has simply, ridden his luck on this winning run which overshadows his obstinate and miserly inadequacies to manage our team effectively. Wenger out as Manager, In as Director of Football. Whom should be in his place? The f**k if I know, not my problem, but sort it the f**k out, ffs already.

11. Petey says:

Brilliant!!

12. dandan – those were dark days last summer/autumn.
    I blame the homesick spanaird partly, I feel betrayed by him and every match he is fit and available for the Catalan Divers is a slap in the face of gooners who backed him while he faked injury and went through the motions of the last season or two with us while he greedily received a huge “loyatly” bonus.

13. TotalArsenal says:

‘What a shame that senile old Frenchman couldn’t have done it.’ :)

Great post GM: that is our season in a nutshell and what a journey it has been until now!

The big difference between this season and the previous ones is the purchase of a number of experienced heads during last summer. Mertesacker, Santos, Arteta and also the on-loan Benayoun have all added a different dimension to the club. It is not rocket science that combining young supertalent and a number of established quality players at Arsenal, with experienced players with the right attitude, will lead to success. My gut feeling is that Kroenke has had something to do with this change of philosophy.

So, maybe we are seeing a slightly different Wenger this season, and if so, I have even more respect for him.

14. SharkeySure says:

Agreed Panic.

The likes of Sunderland and so many others have net spends so much higher than us, and then you look at their squads and you wonder where the money went.

Myu opinion is that a lot of it is wasted. Buy in ‘next big thing’ for £10-£15m, realise 4mths later he’s average at best, rotate himn in and out of the team, then loan him out whilst still covering most of his wages. Sign his ‘replacement’ for another £10-15m.

Its all outgoings and no incomings.

Contrast that with Nasri out +£22m, Ox in -£12m. Fabregas out +£35m, Wilshere in -£0m

Berbatov in -£32m, Berbatov out +£0m

Yes, I am an Accountant.

15. Zane Khan says:

Beautiful thank u my fellow goon!

16. Panic says:

New manager wanted. Must create a transfer profit every season and continue to deliver Champions League football. Applicants will be paid handsomely but get constantly critisised for daring to upset the forces of nature by creating stability at a football club.

17. SharkeySure says:

Works been mad Chary, four children, sons footie team to coach, limited co to set up…and most of all my Alzheimers !!!

18. dandan says:

Chary if those are the darkest days you see as a gooner you will be a very lucky man indeed, but next time you will have the memory of this time to fall back on and it will be easier, believe me.

19. TotalArsenal says:

Chary, you are so contrary! :) You say that highly subjective stuff about Cesc and yet you are always happy to defend the continuously absent fart-lard of a pocket-Russian to the brink! :lol:

20. Well darkest days in recent times dandan – the era of a midfield of Selley/Hillier/.Morrow were pretty bleak too.

TotalA – I defend The Arsh as he is always brutally honest about his intentions and himself – the homesick spaniard was duplicitous and held our club to ransom.

The homesick spaniard disrespected the club by his actions – The Arsh has never done, and he’d certainly never manufacture phantom injureis ‘cos he couldn’t be bothered to turn out for us anymore while he pined for mama’s paella.

Sharkey – I’m sure you could spare a few moments to pen something to, for example, disprove my appreciation of the Arsh.

21. dandan says:

Sharkey, Dont wury aboot the Aly zyma’s you cant not ave it, cos you can stell spill it. :-)

22. Panic says:

I coach my boy’s team too Sharkey. A lot of hard work, but boy is it satisfaction personified when they play well and win.

23. TotalArsenal says:

Chary, fair enough: those are your views. I have never doubted Fabregas’ commitment when he was on the pitch, and I am a firm believer that had we bought the likes of Arteta, Santos and Mertesacker a season earlier, we would have won some major prices last year. Cesc had asked for experience to be brought into the team but to no avail.

Arshavin has always been happy to at our club for himself. If that is what you mean with brutally honest then we are on the same line.

24. TotalArsenal says:

nadnda :)

25. hantsgooner says:

get your point but 8-2 is not the worst defeat in our 125 years history that was something like 12-0 v loughbourgh l think against whom we recorded our biggest win the following year

26. I think as the saying goes TotalA – “we’ll have to agree to disagree on that one” – the homesick spaniard/the arsh.

What’s “nad nda” mean ? :)

A very enjoyable read GM.

Well well, GM, scores a glorious hat trick on his home debut. Back of the net for the cockney hairdresser. I have this image of GM, writing this splendid piece whilst reclined in one of his own saloon chairs ,been lightly carressed by Kiera Knightly, and fed grapes by some kid on work experience. hahahaha.

The truth of the matter is that Arsenal have never been in crisis. We have just been financialy constrained that is all. Once those constraints are loosened Arsenal will be like a set free Lion, and our opponents better start running.

“Cesc had asked for experience to be brought into the team but to no avail.”

Do you really believe this? Do you really think this would have changed his desire to play for his boyhood club TA?

30. hantsgooner says:

just checked my facts an 8-0 was biggest defeat

31. Looking on the upside, anyone else heard that Aguero may not be available for the visit of the Arab Camel shaggers to the Grove next Saturday ?

That’s good news as I rate him, however the downer for us tomorrow is that Kozzer probably won’t play.

32. yea i saw that this morning, he is not available since he didn’t train for the week

Thanks for the heads up on the heaviest defeat – hopefully the author will be on shortly to ‘admit defeat’ on that one, but we don’t want to dwell on such things in these positive times ;)

34. TotalArsenal says:

Hi LB/London,

Nice to see you back.

Yes, I have read quotes in the past in which Fabregas pointed out that the young talents were coming through had nobody to guide them and help them develop to the top level. In my view, Fabregas did/does not want to be a leader but be part of a team in which he plays an important role. The added experience is something he wanted.

I don’t think it would have changed his desire to return home though, but winning some silverware could have meant he would have postponed his move to Barca by a couple of years.

Would you agree with me that Fabregas would have enjoyed this season’s additions a lot if he had stayed, and that we would be challenging now for one or more prizes?

35. Super, it seems like Mancini is a bit annoyed at Aguero for the way in which he got injured, but he’s not saying exactly how the injury happend or what it is.
    Bizarre.
    Be good if Silva is out next week too – hopefully the Sunderland kickers can give Silva a good seeing too tomorrow. :)
    Am eagerly awaiting the Press conference from London Colney, any minute now.

36. Silva playing so horrible recently it does even matter if he plays or not

i think Mario out of favour also, so think Tevez would get a start

37. Super, it does look like Ribery’s long lost uglier brother will get the nod next week, if not tomorrow as well.

38. goonermichael says:

Thank you for the kind words. That’s something I thought I’d never do. I just think if we had sacked him, got somone else and the season went exactly the same as it has the new man would get so much more credit than Wenger gets.

I feel really proud of myself :)

39. Sorry we don’t have Frimpong for next week game to put the Deench on Nasri

40. I remember ready on Another blog, who said we should sack Wenger, guess who they were suggesting we get

AVB

that’s when he was still at Port

I immediately stop reading that blog, so anyone wanna get rid of me just have a post about sacking Wenger and am gone

i love that guy, My kid is even name after him

41. goonermichael says:

You named your kid Wenger?

GM,
    Todays post is the work of an artist who also has a fabulous sense of humour. Yip, you my merry fellow. Brilliant and so right.

43. sorry no Arsene lol

44. Probably my second one i could name him that

hantsgooner,
    I spend a great deal of time explaining to people how clever I am. Today you bring devestating news. For manny years I have told people that both our greatest league win as well as our greatest league defeat were both 11-0 scores against Loughborough.
    Damn you :-)

Super,
    Brilliant. So your son is called Arsene Super Arsenal. That is superb. My son is called Son of DidIt, the poor sod.

Well well GM
    What a fantastic debut Post. Even Gus might be tempted to come on and say “well done” :)
    You’ve made a great point in a clever way and with humour. As you say, if AW had got the boot after the early season’s troubles and his successor had got us to this position, the press would be bowing at his feet and the haters who call themselves Arsenal fans would all be saying “I told you so.”
    AW is not perfect. I happen to agree he should have brought more experience in earlier, but who knows how constrained he was financially. Also, at times the “young” team looked like it might be able to do the business after all, so perhaps it was not unreasonable of him to persevere with them, even if, ultimately, they were not up to winning trophies.
    So he’s not perfect – but he’s still arguably the best manager in the world and he’s ours.

48. Good going UEFA, listen sympathetically about the San Siro pitch when The Catalan Divers complain about it, but ban our manager for 3 games when we do.

UEFA – bent as they come and know which side their bread’s buttered.

CHEATS !

Platini, your vendetta is getting obsessive isn’t it ?

49. But on the upside Kozzer is in the squad for tomorrow, and hopefully he can make sure Geronimo doesn’t fall for the Barton wind up again.,

50. Might as well go for the hat-trick……..in the nut sack…I mean “onion bag” !

Chary – AW’s going to appeal.

Not that it will do him much good.

52. The Rock – I wouldn’t bother appealling, I’d use it to build up some siege mentality for the run in – Arsenal against the world, just the way we like it.

53. goonermichael says:

Chary
    Platini is the archetypal closet queen. Bitchy little queen.

There may or not be corruption in the EPL, but I have no doubt there’s corruption in European football, particularly surrounding Barcelona.

There’s no way the sending off of RvP in the away leg at Barca (at a time when were ahead in the tie) was not bent. And the ref got promoted to be head of all European refs afterwards!

55. Gooner In Exile says:

GM before I’ve read any comments I would just like to doff my cap. Fantastic maiden post which brought a chuckle as only the best Rocky post can.

Top work…..shame about Arsene losing the plot.

56. Sucking up to Farca/Real Madrid is what keeps UEFA’s gravy train going, the Rock
    Combine that with Platini’s obsession with screwing over Wenger then it’s obvious UEFA are going to piss on our chips any chance they get, GM.

57. TotalArsenal says:

Because it is so good, I have taken the liberty to post again Chas’ dancing-Wenger video from a couple of mornings ago. It just goes so well with the post:

58. TotalArsenal says:

And if this does not put you in a good mood, nothing will! :)

59. Gooner In Exile says:

HaHa TA I have just been playing with that for about 5 minutes….so funny.

As many have said on Twitter it is probably the best use of the internet ever.

Someone just tweeted this quote from Arteta:

“We have a lot of players who are 17 or 18…when I see players like TheOx coming through, I’m jealous. I wish I was 18 again.”

Not sure if he called him the Ox but would be great if he did.

Also while we’re having party games Friday has everyone seen the Great Jenkinson Hair Saga?

Search for “Special Report:Jenkinsons Hair” on Arsenal Player….give you a clue of the tone here is the opening lines:

“Its been a testing campaign at times for everyone at the club…but the recent haircut displayed by Carl Jenkinson has provided the latest test of character for Arsene Wengers side”

And on a more serious but joyous note have you seen this:

60. Gooner In Exile says:

The best thing about the hair report is firstly just how close Jenks and The Ox are and secondly that RvP has been involved (and even leading) the micky taking and features in the video.

61. Gooner In Exile says:

Just read news about Stylian Petrov. Bit of a shock http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17566188

TA

I can agree with pleasure that Fabregas would have revelled in the opportunity to play with this season’s signings, the idea of him with playing along side Arteta is mouth watering.

I just don’t buy into this idea that he was disappointed by the lack of signings and somehow that altered his desire to return home. To put it bluntly, I believe we could have signed Messi and Ronaldo and he still would have been yearning for the opportunity to wear those silly strips of Barça.

I don’t really blame him, if anyone of the regulars were playing for Valencia, let’s say, which one of us would not have given his hind teeth for the opportunity to wear the glorious red and white.

I am not sure who said it above but I agree with the comment that he always gave one hundred per cent every time he took to the field in Arsenal colours.

The gapping whole that Fabregas left is slowly being filled, it is no there yet but we are making good progress.

63. goonermichael says:

leukaemia Is one of the most treatable cancers. I hope he’s ok.

64. TotalArsenal says:

LB, ‘I just don’t buy into this idea that he was disappointed by the lack of signings and somehow that altered his desire to return home’. You are probably right: the pull of Catalonia and the Nou Camp was simply too strong. It would have been great to have seen Cesc play at least one season with the likes of Arteta, Mertesacker and Santos though. I still think he left a couple of seasons too early but I also understand why he felt he had to take the opportunity now.

65. To put it bluntly, Cesc is dead to me now.

If he ever returns to Ashburton Grove he won’t get a warm welcome from me (I know what you’re thinking, “Why should he care?”).

66. goonermichael says:

If Barca were a mid table team in Spain I don’t think the dna would have been that strong. I don’t have any respect for him (as everuone on here knows) I wish he’d shut up about Arsenal and move on. We have.

67. TotalArsenal says:

GiE, good news about Muamba and sad news about Petrov. It just goes to show we all should aim at seizing the day, everyday.

Loved the hair story. I just cannot believe how mature The Ox is – he brims with confidence!

68. GM – it was funny to see him doing a Nasri on the bench at the Milan game on Wednesday.

You deserve what you get.

Hi gm, 2,400 bloggers have read your post so far today, total hits 3,300, very good for a friday.- that’s almost as many as attended the totnum game the other night :?

70. TotalArsenal says:

GM, Chary, there is here and now and there is the past. I have many fond memories of the past and Cesc has played a big part in it. He has been one of our very best footballers and I have many high-quality, fond memories of him in an Arsenal shirt. I love football as an art and I love football as a tribal supporter, but the beauty of Cesc’s football will always remain a joy to behold.

I think we all need to accept he was given an opportunity to play with the very best players of the world in the city of his birth, at the club he has supported since he was a little boy. He stayed two more years at Arsenal after talking to Wenger, and finally he took his chance.

I just cannot understand why anybody would not see that as reasonable, given the circumstances, and if he were to return to THOF football, he would get the warmest possible welcome from me. Like you said Chary, we have to agree to disagree on this one. :)

Hi TA, that’s exactly how I view Cecs’s decision to leave. The money side of it wasn’t down to him. No-one knows that went on in the negotiations between the two clubs. Whatever the process was that led to that price tag, I don’t see we had any choice but to take the highest figure they were prepared to offer.

72. dandan says:

FIFA are at it again, they have ordered all clubs to release any players under 23 years of age, who are chosen for their country’s olympic team, bye bye Jack, Theo, The Ox,Kieren and probablyy Aaron too. AW gonna get banned again if he tells em what he thinks.

73. goonermichael says:

TA
    I have some very fond memories of my ex wife in the fellatio department. I hate the ***** now though :)

I don’t intend to offend anyone. Hope it’s OK

74. That’s true TotalA – we’ll have to leave it there, it would be a good subject for a post by me, if only I wasn’t so dam lazy about post writing nowadays !

75. goonermichael says:

Is that good Rasp?

Very good gm :P

77. goonermichael says:

I think it was a very good title though Rasp.

78. goonermichael says:
  79. Gooner In Exile says:

DD they will all be injured (if we are sensible).

80. goonermichael says:

I find it understandable that GM and Chary take the view they do about Fabregas, after all he left us, and because of that I never challenge them. But for me Cesc vies for the second most brilliant player I have had the good fortune to watch play at Highbury and the Emirates, Liam Brady being the other contender for second place but the memory is fading now. We were just plain unlucky that we never won anything while Fabregas was captain, I would welcome him back in a heart beat. (but not as captain)

The answer to your question, well you know who my first choice is really don’t you?

82. goonermichael says:

Is it Kiwomya LB?

GM. It has to be Glenn Helder. I know LB is a big fan of the” Little Lionel Ritchie”

It’s Gus Caesar obviously, surprised you didn’t get it straight away. How do you do those smiley face thingys, anyway, imagine there is one here.

85. goonermichael says:

I wouldn’t put cesc above Dennis and Henry.

86. goonermichael says:

Or kiwomya

87. Gooner In Exile says:

GM and BR you’re both wrong its Perry Groves

88. goonermichael says:

89. Gooner In Exile says:

By the way anyone see that Petit has done a bit of a U Turn, apparently now it wasn’t all Arsenes fault and the methods that needed to change it was just that the team needed to be humiliated in Milan and at Sunderland before they could realise their greatness.

Ok then Manu, i loved you as a player but you are going a bit Adrian Durham on us all now. And i’m not sure about your new hair style.

Manu today http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17554188

Manu a few weeks back http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17095045

Gus Caesaaaaar. LB told me in secrecy.

Not wanting to get back into the Cesc discussion. I agree entirely with TA and LB.

Fabregas is one of the best players I have seen in an Arsenal shirt.

For 8 years we sang “We’ve got Cesc Fabregas”.

Love is a fickle master.

Re: Manu. This is a man who wears tight leather trousers. Nothing more needs saying.

93. goonermichael says:

I like Perry Groves.

Flippin heck, GM, what a belter. :)

Off to read the comments.

95. goonermichael says:

Raddy
    Cesc is a fantastic player. There is no arguing that.

Bloody hell LB,
    I hadn’t seen your comment.
    That’s spooky

97. goonermichael says:

Thanks chas. I feel like a celebrity :)

98. goonermichael says:

I’d love him to still be here but he’s not :(

Oh God GM, are you going to go all orange on us and tweeter Piers Morgan?

100. Gooner In Exile says:

GM We all lived in a Perry Groves World for a while :D

It was fun and ginger….speaking of ginger where is the SlimRedToppedGooner been lately? Have we missed his nuptials? Surely he didn’t get married during the season? Poor form

101. goonermichael says:

God forbid Mickey :)

GM. You deserve all the plaudits.

So now you have some educational letters after your name and lost your cherry as an AA author.

What a season you are having!

Nothing like the smell of a freshly opened bottle of Chablis :-)

104. goonermichael says:

A freshly lit spliff is quite nice too Raddy. Not that I’d advocate that sort of thing.

105. goonermichael says:

Or napalm in the morning

Thinking of illegal substances. Where is Peaches?

107. goonermichael says:

She’s busy working probably Raddy

Peaches as an illegal substance. Hahahahaha.

Has ball juggling moved on since this?

Nah, no-one could be better than Sir Stanley Bowles.

110. Irishgunner says:

Love the post GM.

I don’t need to weigh in to the Fabregas debate, he went to win some easy trophies, just man up and admit it at least, grow a pair of balls before its too late boy.

Maybe I’m bitter, but if the Mancs and Madrid win the Leagues and Madrid/Bayern win the CL I may never stop laughing – leave Arsenal to win trophies will you? :lol:

photo/1

photo/1

113. goonermichael says:

I’m watching a film with nicolas cage and the bloke from hellboy. Thay are medieval crusaders with american accents that say “let’s get the hell out of here”

GM
    It’s nice to see your name up there in the list of authors!

115. goonermichael says:

Thanks Rocky. I never thought I’d do it. That may sound funny but I’m an uneducated, poncy hairdresser.

Well Mr poncey, uneducated, barnet trimmer, you just produced a very accomplished piece of journalism :)

117. nmcmaho1 says:

I’ve just come back from the lab, been working on Arsenal’s future. I’m sure you’ll agree it’s going to be bloody fantastic!

118. nmcmaho1 says:

great debut post GM, loved it. hopefully there will be more in the future.

@ TA thought your post yesterday was brilliant also, and the stats backing up your point were very surprising. I hope his career continues to stagnate and he ends up as the next wright-phillips.

@ Dandan

i hope your mrs is on the mend and all is well with you both

119. oz gunner says:

oops wrong name again.

In terms of the cesc debate, chalk me up on gm and chary’s side. i hate him with a passion.

@ GM

that movie lasted all but 10 seconds in my dvd player. He’s a far cry from the actor who was in movies like con air, gone in 60 seconds and face-off

120. Ade David, a Nigerian Gooner. says:

Funny but a brilliant post from GoonerMichael . The new coach must be a magician. Thank God that the Board listened to the press and we the fans for sacking the old coach. GM, is the new coach an Indian? In this part of our own world, we believe the land of Ghandis is full of magicians. They can turn man to woman. Honestly, the former manager, (what is his name now?) had lost it. If the man is still incharge, we will be battling for relegation now. I believe if the new man can buy two or more quality players, we shall compete for trophies next season. Up new manager, up Arsenaaal.

121. robbinURpersie says:

goonermichael, :-)

well well, i didnt see that one coming, not for a country mile :-)
    nice piece of work on your debut post, and with the monkey off your back you must feel both relieved and proud, and so you should..its definately worthy of celebrity status ;-) and a fantastic title..

im so glad we have Arsene Wenger on our side..i dont know it any other way..in a far away dreamland, if i was owner i wouldnt swap that genius for 10 mourinhos..and by the way…F**K Uefa!!!

damn, i missed a great days blogging and some really juicy arguements, in particular the cesc debate..i love the kid, the way he plays and its a real shame that we didnt win any silverware with him..i dont blame the boy but the board for not realising what potential was there already and adding some experience…i remember we went skin bare, down to the squid at the back and the transfer window was open..our defence crumbled and along with it our confidence and we were quickly out of all four trophys..

Then came the transfer window and cesc starts whinging!! Yes hes a fantastic player but once again the board caves in against Wengers wishes and the kids cries and sells him for 15 mil less than what he is worth..

the board should have grew some, and said if you dont like it and perform you can sit on the bench, we have three years on you and we gave you a loyalty bonus..i guarantee with Euro’s and world cups on the brink, he would have been dancing for us again..if he were in this current side we would definately have won 1 if not more trophies this season…his attitude was questionable and between the lines it stunk but no one can question his talent..

in the top 5 midfield players in the world, and with time on his side its scary how good he will become..wenger said “I havnt seen a better 17yr old since i watched pele at the same age” and we have learnt that we cant really argue with our manager can we???

Sorry I missed your virgin post GM, but what a really good piece, and not a swear word in sight :).

Most has been said but I doubt any other top club would have reacted cooly as we did knowing would get it right and even if we lose the odd game or so until the end of the season, all the makings are there for a fantastic side that will challenge next season.

I see we are split on the Fabregas situation and I tend to sway with those who say he didn’t do himself justice in his last season (whilst still under contract) as the captain of the side.
    When he first came into the side he was mentored by some truly great players and though taking nothing away from his natural talent at 16 he had an easier intro than perhaps other young prospects, take OX as an example.

Most probably those 8 years from 16 to 24 he was obvessively homesick to an extent and could be persuaded by several older catalan team mates to leave us and join them .
    I didn’t like seeing him wearing the barca shirt joke or not after the WC, not attending some Arsenal games, going to the Spanish grand prix and walikng out at half time when “injured” during one of the Emirates Cup games..
    I am absolutely convinved that the club sold him at a cut down price and knew for months it was going to happen and as we all know Wenger gave his blessing in the end.
    One can’t replace players like for like as cesc nor any of our recent great players such as DB10 or Henry but I am sure the club tried to get quality in earlier than they did,but transfers are not as simple as they were especially with agents involved.
    Everything hinges on RVP and him signing a new contract for us to advance next season and I believe we will bring in one quality player,maybe two and release at least a handful to cut down the wage bill on many and increase it to a few..

123. dandan says:

Morning Kelsey good to see you in a blogging mood. :-)

Morning Oz, rURp, Ade, Kelsey and dandan.
    Match day. Very groovy. I’ve only just noticed that Newcastle are level on points with Chelsea.

Kelsey,
    I don’t blame Cesc for wanting to return to Barca, although I agree with you that he didn’t give 100% in his last season. Exactly mirroring the Henry situation. Only thing I really don’t understand is how Utd got so much for Ronaldo when he also only wanted to join one club.

126. robbinURpersie says:

Morning Mickey,

Darren Bent 22mil, Milner 26mil, Andy Carroll 34mil, Downing+Henderhope 39mil, i dont know whether to laugh or cry?

Fabregas was no grandpa compared to these other boys, theyve all had similar lay offs when compared with injury time out and you cant compare with international appearances and for which team..No offence to England but it is a massive feat to break in and cement a minimum 35min appearance for spain..Just ask Arteta (arguably our best player this season)

just for the record, Wenger didnt cave in and finally give his blessing!! still to this day he has stated that the summers transfer window was a disaster, you could write a film about it..

the board have alot to answer for in our transfer dealings, but one can argue that its not my place to question the board or owner(s), they may be right, it hurts, but i love the Arsenal all the same :-)

To not sound complacent, but rather confident- i believe the points are guaranteed tonight/day..with the form we’r in, and no fresh injuries its what we should be aiming for as a must win..Playing Wengerball at its best away from home will be icing on the cake..

Only three teams out of the top 5 leagues in europe have won 8 league games in a row, it will read 4 teams after the 90min have been played at 2am in the morning, my local time…

I cant wait!!! COYRRG! :-)

Rup you said,

“just for the record, Wenger didnt cave in and finally give his blessing!! still to this day he has stated that the summers transfer window was a disaster, you could write a film about it.”

I beg to differ and know for a fact that as not for the first time Wenger acted as a shield for the board.
    Even if his autobiography eventually comes out, Wenger being the man he is, would never spill the beans..

128. Ade David, a Nigerian Gooner. says:

I dont know why this post came to my box late. Early this morning, I thought I was responding to a new post, not knowing that I was 24 hrs late. Goonermichael, congrat mate. Hope it is not too belated.

129. robbinURpersie says:

kelsey,

of course hes acted as a shield to the board. He covers up and keeps all our business affairs internal and private.That is what our manager has done/ does/ and will do..He acts with class and always has, the club will alaways come first. But thats not to say that he wasnt frustrated and hinted that his hands were tied..He always said he was against the sale of Fabregas, it was also stated he didnt want to sell Na$ri..now, being the economic proffessr that he is i dont see him blessing the sale of Cesc at that price when on the flip side of the coin he refuses to pay any more than 17mil for “top class talent”..with the nasri sale it made sense with that sort money and a yr on his contract..but it was never intended, not after the unforseen sale of Cesc…

Deep joy, time to blog :)

How is everyone?

gm – loved your post and all the posts this week, just haven’t had time to blog ……. but today is match day and I’m really looking forward to it. Just love watching the Arsenal :)

dandan – how is your lovely wife doing, I’ll try and call you later ….

kelsey – is Cesc celebrated as a great talent in Spain? I think he should have been made to stay for another 2 or 3 years, he would still have gone on to have a great career at Barca ….. he was always going to go back there.

But then we wouldn’t have had Robin as our captain and lets face it he’s a much better captain than Cesc would ever have been IMHO

Do we have anyone in the sick bay for today?

That some keyboard warriors blame the player says much about the level of stupidity out in blogworld.

Hopefully, part of the deal will be a discount on any Barca player signed to AFC.

Robbin. As you say AW had no intention of selling both players, nor of missing signing Mata once he knew Cesc was leaving.

As kelsey says, to read AW’s memoir would be fascinating, not that he will write one.

Morning Peaches.

133. Morning Raddy – did any of our heatwave reach your skies? It’s been a nightmare doing landscaping this week …..

No injuries other than the long term as far as I can see.

In a chilly Danish way. Clear skies but a cold Northern wind – temps about 14C which is very good for March.

BR is heading South for 10 days (3-12). He is not sure if he has internet access but will try to get a pre-match in. He will sms if he can’t.

136. Excellent planning BR, have a great time :)

137. robbinURpersie says:

David Rocastle -(1967-2001)

May he Rest in Peace..

The memories remain..Thank you

Morning all (again)

You have to live here to understand the real hatred between Madrid and Barcelona and that the Catalans regard themselves as a seperate country with their own language.

If I lived in their region I would read nothing but despise for RM and it’s visa versa from this region.

Morning all…….

………New post ……..

“Good discussion about the Cesc transfer. My tuppence worth is that Arsenal paid for their brinkmanship – they thought they could pressurise Barca into paying more and they were wrong.”

I think you sum it up well here BR. The thing I would add which I imagine you agree with is that the board never really had any other choice. They may have failed to achieve his true market value but had they accepted the price they ultimately did at the beginning of the transfer window the anti Arsenal brigade would screaming for blood even loader than they did.

That negotiation wasn’t perfect but I believe the best was achieved under very difficult circumstances.

Thinking local: Since Bendtnerjoined Sunderland they are on TV every bloody week and gues which game they are featuring today?

Thank goodness for Liveonlinefooty.com