Missing Na$ri like a hole in the bench

How much is Arsenal missing Na$ri?

The departure of Nasri at the end of August last year was used by many journalists, and plenty of fellow Gooners, as evidence that Arsenal had become a selling-club and was no longer ambitious enough to compete for the top prices. Seven months on, after a rollercoaster ride of a transitional season so far, it is becoming apparent the sale of Nasri was actually very good business for Arsenal after all.

Wenger was desperate to keep hold of Nasri last summer: losing Fabregas and Nasri at the same time, was far from ideal. Nasri had shown glimpses of his potential at Arsenal, but it was clear to most of us he was no replacement for the Spanish Maestro. The vacant role of advanced midfielder – the one who orchestrates our attacks and dictates play – was meant to be filled by Wilshere or Ramsey, with Rosicky and Diaby as suitable back-up. Wilshere suffered a long-term injury, and it is gradually becoming clear that Ramsey would fit better in a deeper role – the one currently occupied by our new Spanish hero: Arteta. Rosicky has recently found his best form again and has played a big part in our resurgence into the top-4 since February. Diaby…same old story, I am afraid.

The few times Nasri had played in this pivotal position at Arsenal, he had been ok, but not more than that. Yes, he had some fantastic games in the first part of the 2010-2011 season, but mostly in a wide position.

Having watched a few Citeh games this season in which Nasri made an appearance, it’s becoming clear to me that he has not made any progress since he left us. It looks like Nasri will remain a player with a few good games per season, who will operate mainly at the periphery of his new club – that is, mainly on the bench. He is simply not good enough to play centrally and is likely to be played on the wing for most of the rest of his career: would he have stayed at Arsenal, it would not have been any different.

Nasri joined a settled team with plenty of top quality in the squad. Mancini has played him centrally and on the wing, but in both areas he has been pretty ineffective. And there are no excuses for him: he is used to play in the PL, he has got the right age to perform at the required level and he has been fit since he joined the Etihad Oil Refinery (courtesy of Rocky Lives).

Despite of all this, he has had a mediocre season so far. In fact, compared to our three wingers at the club: Walcott, Gervinho and the The Ox, he is performing worst of all of them. In the end, that is where he left a vacancy: on the wing, and in order to answer the question of this post, he needs to be compared to our current wingers:

Games played this season Goals Scored Assists Goals/Assists per game this season Career average per game
Theo 40 9 13 0.55 0.37
Gervinho 31 4 8 0.39 0.4
The Ox 20 4 3 0.35 0.4
Na$ri 36 5 7 0.33 0.29

Nasri was sold for £22m.Gervinho (£10.6m) and the Ox (£12m) were bought in return. Despite the fact that Gervinho and the Ox are playing their first season in the PL, and have had to find their way in an unsettled team that is going through a major transition this year, they are both currently outperforming Na$ri with a better average of goals and assists per game. Theo has had a significantly better season than Nasri as well. Surprisingly, all our wingers have a better career average of goals/assists per game than Nasri too, which to me is further proof that Arsenal did very good business in selling him last summer, rather than let him run out his contract, hold back the development of the Ox and others, and poison the atmosphere at our club. Two players for the price of one, and they are both better!

So, are we missing Na$ri? Like a hole in the bench! Good riddance and good business all round.

TotalArsenal.

135 Responses to Missing Na$ri like a hole in the bench

1. dandan says:

TA you have done it again,you clever fellow, fine article, those stats are amazing, would not have realized that the Gerv had a better return than Nasri, shows how much I know, it would seem that AW’s transfer activity gets more impressive game by game. Thanks for the post

2. Big Randy says:

Another enjoyable read TA.

I don’t resent Nasri for leaving, in his position I would have done the same – he isn’t a Gooner nor is he an Oiler, he is a mercenary.

There were a number of occasions last season when Cesc was injured and Nasri was called upon to take a more central role; not once did he step up. The Ox is all that Nasri should have been but isn’t, Ox is stronger, faster, younger and with experience will be a better team player.

Nasri: Decent player – yes. Great player – No.

3. Panic says:

A good point well made. Judging by the the reaction of PingPong and others, he didn’t seem particularly well liked in the dressing room either.

The friendship and camaraderie in the dressing room seems so much better this season. Perhaps less egos and less division is the key to our current climb.

Even when we were struggling there was no finger pointing and the lads have worked hard together to get us back up there. I do think it helps having more good young English players at the club personally. That isn’t xenaphobia, just Arsenal being a club that plays in this country means that youngsters coming in know what it’s about.

4. John says:

I don’t understand all the stick Nasri is still getting. He has left, not our player anymore, nothing to do with us. Ultimately we got paid a very nice sum for him, I’m happy with that. Contrast this with Fabrigas, he is still hailed as a hero but we were shafted financially by him & Barcelona big time. We should have had at least £15mio more for him, their Vice (?) Chairman even gloated about it to the press.

5. bah! says:

“I do think it helps having more good young English players at the club personally. That isn’t xenaphobia, just Arsenal being a club that plays in this country means that youngsters coming in know what it’s about.”

yeah, like bentley, pennant…

6. Alex Nyam Dung says:

So far d sell of nasri is a gud one

7. Mr Finch says:

What John said. I find it embarrassing that yet another Arsenal blog finds it necessary to write about Nasri again. Like a boy who’s broken up with his girlfriend and cant let go, it’s toe curling. I don’t even care about Fabregas. They’re ex Arsenal and just like my ex girlfriends, I wish them well but nothing to do with me anymore. Get over it. Write about Arsenal.

8. mosz says:

is gud arsenal sale nasri cus without nasri dis season arsenal stil play gud footbal.

9. What would make it better is if we can somehow take second place from them, which can happen if we beat them next week

10. TotalArsenal says:

Panic, you have got a good point re having good English players at the club. Nobody should be chosen over another player for his nationality alone though. It has to be on merit. But it is good for English football that top English players are making it at a top club, and I have no doubt that Arsenal are benefiting tremendously from having the likes of Theo, Gibbs, Frimpong and Wilshere coming through as well at the moment.

11. Tunde says:

Am so much impress with your write up.Nasri’s move to M.city is a blessing in disguise especially with emergence of both Gervinho and the Ox.They all play wide role and am both new recruited players really impress me. Despite their first season playing for Arsenal fc.Nasri is a good sell for Wenger.

12. TotalArsenal says:

John and Mr Finch,

Did you read the article? It is an analysis of where we are since the departure of the fat French benchwarmer, showing we are better off and it was good business.

But he does deserve every stick he gets. Not so much because he left us for more money and was disloyal to the club, but for the fact that he stopped playing once he knew he was going to Citeh – the way he, and many others, decided they did not have to give their all for the club anymore from February onwards: an absolute scandal, or have you forgotten? That is unforgiveble and he deserves all the stick in the world for it.

But that is not what this post is about.

13. TotalArsenal says:

Well said Tunde, where are you based/do you live?

14. fana says:

lets start challenging for silver ware first,then we can ridicule ths messiahs!

15. irish gooner says:

i must admit i was looking forward to seeing that little rat playing in the cesc role,then he left im was thinking jack,then ramsey,but i never thought rosicky would be playing really well this year,,fook nasri and fook cesc,and if robin wants to leave in the summer then fook him to,arsenal will always find a replacement no matter who leaves

16. demelashbelay says:

For ever the crucial person to the gunners is Arsenwinger b/c this season is enough to apriciate arsen with out cesc&Nasri so keep it arsens ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

17. Gooner69 says:

Citeh = The A-Team.. ‘If you need them, and you can find them, maybe you can call the A Team!’ … Bunch of MerceNa$ri’s! ;-)

18. TotalArsenal says:

irish gooner, RvP is going to stay :) Agree with you on the Rosicky surprise this season, and just when we needed it most!

19. TotalArsenal says:

MerceNa$ris – like it G69!

20. John says:

@ total arsenal: your article is not an analysis. You’re comparing apples with pears and pick out what suits you, it’s called finding a stick to beat a dog. I trust Wenger to do a proper analysis of the needs of our club and if he was desperate to hang on to Nasri than I’m sure we would have been better off with him, whatever the qwerty experts think of it. Enough of this though, he’s gone, we have a new team and 8 games to battle for 3rd place. who knows, Citeh might collapse?

21. Mos says:

Total Arsenal..I agree with Mr Finch this article is embarrassing. We shouldn’t be concerned if he is playing well or crap.
    Even though he is having a crap season his stats aren’t too behind Ox or Gervinho.
    I think we know he would have played better at Arsenal this season as the club suits his style.

Its no surprise that Wenger wants Hazzard or Goetze, players with similar styles to Nasri, it obvious we miss his type in the squad

22. robbinURpersie says:

Total,

you write so well mate, and it was indeed a headline post written by yourself that initially got me hooked to this place.. from that first piece till now i doubt that i ever disagreed with any of your points or arguements…well here is a first ;-)

whilst i do agree with majority of the post im not sure i agree with you that had he stayed with us he would have likely ‘not improved’.
    I doubt that very much, and there was a reason why wenger really wanted him to stay..Not everybody develops as quickly and as rapidly as others..You only have to look at our Songhino, i thought he was finished when he detoured to Charlton..

Bit busy at the moment, will come back later for a peek..

Ps. Dandan, i really do hope things are on the rise with your wife and yourself, i have you both in my thoughts..I did read your post yesterday but was too busy to hang around..It was excellent and positive as usual which is great..

23. robbinURpersie says:

Bad mouthing Robin is not allowed, its in peaches mums’ guidelines.. ;-) the day he stops caring like nasri and cesc did is the day it will be up for review….NEVER ;-)

24. Stuart says:

Would have nasri over gervinho anyday

25. TotalArsenal says:

John, thanks for your response. I have not picked out what suits me but what I believe matters most. By all means, argue against me and try to convince me we are missing Nasri badly. I am open for your views! :)

Mos/Robin, maybe you are right re Nasri progressing better if he had stayed at Arsenal, under Wenger’s developing wings.

Mos,

I have not seen you on AA before, so welcome and thanks for your comment.

MC is set up very similar to the way Arsenal played last season, so there is every reason for him to have done well at his new club this season. Re the stats: Nasri should be well ahead of Gervinho and the Ox but instead he is below them. Combined with his club career stats, they tell us a lot of how he is developing and that Arsenal did the right thing in letting him go.

I am sure but have you ever heard Wenger saying he wants Goetze or Hazard? I think what he wants/wanted most is Wilshere being available to fill the big hole left by the departed Fabregas.

26. Big Randy says:

Mr. Finch. Perhaps you are right but we write post every day and this post primarily focusses upon how ell our Nasri “replacements” are doing.

bah!. And Gibbs, Wilshere, Ox, Ramsey (Brit!)……

Masz. You are right

And to all the new bloggers, welcome to Arsenal Arsenal.

27. goonermichael says:

Great post. There’s nothing wrong with talking about him. I’m with one of the early posters. I dislike cesc more than nasri. I wouldn’t swap Gervinho for nasri personally. Nasri is a good player though. Fat little lesbian.

Just because the papers and websites link us to players doesn’t mean than Wenger wants them.

28. Big Randy says:

Mos. I have to disagree with you about needing a Nasri type in the squad. What does he bring that we don’t have already?

I assume you mean “guile”, but when JW returns next season we will have it in spades.

TA…… oops, just read your last comment :-)

Good post TA
    It is nice to see how effective our wide players are compared with Nasri.

Nasri had an excellent spell for us in the first half of last season, and prior to that he had some great individual moments, but he was woeful in the second half of last season.

I expect him to be back in the French Ligue 1 in the next season or two. He’s a decent player but certainly not a great one.

John and Mr Finch
    I can see where you are coming from, but after all the criticism of AW and the club from some sections of the media and fan base when we were forced to sell Nasri, it is perfectly reasonable at this stage of the season to analyse how his ‘replacements’ are doing and to ask whether we are better off or (as many predicted we would be) worse off.

And yes, it is an imprecise science, but measuring goals and assists is about as quantifiable as it gets for an attacking player.

stuart
    why?

31. TotalArsenal says:

BR, GM, good to see you on here. Other than the two of you only rURp and dandan of the regulars have been posting today. Started to wonder whether it was something I said… :)

Good to see quite a few new bloggers today though :)

32. TotalArsenal says:

And there is the Rock! :)

John and Mr Finch
    One other thing. You may both have no further interest in players once they leave Arsenal, but supporting a football team has always been a tribal business and when someone leaves your tribe for someone else’s there can be ill feeling. You may not feel it, but many fans do.
    It’s the other side of the coin that saw the likes of Bobby Pires and Eduardo given incredibly warm receptions when they returned to Arsenal wearing other clubs’ colours. I guess neither of you took part in those warm homecomings because you no longer cared about either player?

Morning TA :)

35. dandan says:

TA get your head down mate you forgot Irish @10:57 yours could be a painful demise :-)

36. robbinURpersie says:

Rocky :-)

can i stand by your side on our front lines please? it would be an honour!!

THIERRY HENRY??

37. dandan says:

Off to see the good lady, catch you all later Byeeeeeeee

hehehe, you have stoked up a bit of controversy today TA, i like it.
    I guess we will never know for sure how Nasri,Cesc, Flamini etc would have progressed if they had stayed under the tutorlige of Wenger, but i suspect we would be chalanging for the title if they had not all been poached.

The wonderful thing about all this is it just reinforces what a majestic club Arsenal are. Yes, in recent years we have been raided and denied the chance to see how far we could have gone with those players at there peak years, but what happens? We get up, dust ourselves down and start pushing again. Arsenals spirit can never be quenched.

This current lot, are in my opinion, potentialy the best weve had since the Adams, Merson, Rocky crop, and will push us on to inevitable glory. The time for retrospective analysis is amost at an end, lets push on with the team and enjoy the ride.

39. goonermichael says:

I was pleased to see cesc warming the bench yesterday. Vindictive? me?

40. TotalArsenal says:

A good Toronto morning to you, RL :)

Dandan, that was not the one and only, Lady Gaga-loving, Irish Gooner, but somebody else (who has posted a few times in the past on AA before today’s comment).

How is your wife doing and are you ok?

41. goonermichael says:

Give her all our love dandan. Hope it’s improving

42. goonermichael says:

You made me think of this Terry :)

43. TotalArsenal says:

GM. thought you would say that re Fabregas! :)

Terry, I agree with you :) What has happened to Flamini? Him and Fabregas and, to a certain extent, Adebayor have left holes over the last few years. I don’t feel the same about Nasri, as you gathered from today’s post! :lol:

44. goonermichael says:

We can live without him (nasri) TA.

Total,
    I really like this post and I think it is a very valuable exercise in measuring a teams’ evolution. Your stats make very interesting reading, but as has been pointed out, no stats measure dressing room atmosphere. Talented though Nasri is, I think it is easy to see how the new togetherness has developed over the course of this season. It is also easy to see the effect of this new spirit has had on the home crowd, with team and support growing together.
    Comparing the selling price of Nasri to the buying price of The Ox makes a fool of financial valuations.

46. goonermichael says:

All phones are ouit in our part of Covent Garden. Can’t take any money. What a joke

47. Big Randy says:

Flamini smashed his knee pre-season and has yet to re-establish his place in the first team, which considering Ambrosini and Seedorf have a combined age of 168, is surprising

Micky. 22m for Nasri appears good value when compared to Spurs paying €18m for David Bentley,

48. Big Randy says:

GM. Bizarre that you have internet access ….

49. goonermichael says:

Having to send clients to the cashpoint is embarassing

50. robbinURpersie says:

Hold ‘em hostage

51. goonermichael says:

The woman on BT said I was lucky. It is weird. No phones and no PDQ

52. goonermichael says:

It’s on the same line as one of the phones that are off Raddy.

GM, count your blessings. In my game i sometimes have to wait months before been paid and incur bad debts every year. Send em to a cash point?, if i could get away with it i would gladly march some clients there aided by the use of a revolver and a stop watch.

Raddy to Randy,
    Why when? Sun up sap?

Lunch outside now. Gets cooler from saturday I think, so enjoy it I will.
    Back later.

56. Big Randy says:

Didit. Selvfolelig solen skinner her i dejlig Danmark. (means, Yes)

And don’t call me a sap, sap :-)

57. Panic says:

bah! I didn’t say say that all English players are better than their foreign counterparts by any means. I couldn’t care less if we had 11 players from Outer Mongolia if they won trophies. My point was that the spirit within the group seems much steadier these days and it’s good for the foreign lads to have English players in there to let them know that The Arsenal is an institution, not merely a football club.

And the examples you use are pretty pony to be honest. See how much profit we’d have got on Pennant and Bentley. You could have used 100 that would have served your point better.

And don’t ask me to list the number of foreign players that have failed to make it. We’d be here for a week.

Nobody English can tell me that watching the national team with Gibbs, Wilshere, Ox, Walcott isn’t an exciting prospect. PingPong too if he doesn’t choose Ghana.

Have a look at the amount of teams that have won the Premier League without a core of English players………mmmmmm strange. Our invincibles were probably the only example and there were still 4 England Internationals in that squad.

58. RAZOR says:

BLOODY GOOD ARTICLE MATE, THOROUGHLY IMPRESSED AS EVERYTHING U’VE STATED IS 100% FACT!

Panic, just to expand on your point, for me our biggest problem in the last few years has been holding on to our players. Ive got a feeling the English contingent are more likely to stay in general, as opposed to there foreign counterparts. Like you, i get an extra buzz when i see English players in the team and am excited about seeing them become a mainstay in the national team. I dont regard that as xenophobia, its perfectly natural.

60. Big Randy says:

It wasn’t xenophobia when Arsenal won the World Cup in Paris in ’98!

61. goonermichael says:

Panic
    Frimpong has already chosen Ghana.

62. Panic says:

Cheers TMHT, i’m glad you see the point I was making. Read the way LJW talks about The Arsenal on his social networking obsessions and it’s plain to see his love for the club. I don’t care if he supported West Ham or Washington Hamsters as a 4 year old, he is indoctrinated with the ethos of the Gooners. If that rubs off on the young foreign kids it can only be a good thing. And also, how nice for the other kids coming through to see what can be achieved with hard work and dedication. It would certainly inspire me.

63. goonermichael says:

I’m not xenophobis. I don’t like foreigners much though

64. Panic says:

gm, if that’s the case then it’s a shame. I didn’t think he had played a competitive game for them so was still in a position to play for England if required. But, in that case, good luck to him. Just a shame that it’s another player to lose during the ACN.

65. Panic says:

I like foreigners, I couldn’t eat a whole one though.

66. goonermichael says:

Essien really wanted him to take his place in the Ghana team. If I was him I’d choose Ghana. Jenkinson wants to play for England if he gets the chance.

67. goonermichael says:

Like dogs and children Panic :)

Panic :)

Is Jenks committed to England? I thought I read somewhere that he was also eligible for Finland…

Speaking of Jenks, when you see that pic of his bedroom as a kid (walls and ceiling plastered with Arsenal posters, scarves etc) you can’t help but be delighted that someone like that is now in our first team squad. Also, we can add him to the future England team list (unless he goes off with the Finns). I’m pretty sure he’ll be England’s future right back.

69. Gooner In Exile says:

Good article TA which has garbed some unwarranted criticism for being a dig at Nasri.

For me the question is was the better outcome for the team more from luck than judgement by the prof?

As others have said Nasri is a good technician of the game, but I never felt he had the power in his legs to smash a goal in from twenty yards or to cross the ball past the first man. I don’t really see Ox and Gerv as replacements either as Wenger had done that business before the sale of Nasri. If he was around we wouldn’t have seen the Ox yet, I also doubt we would have seen the unity we have this season. Nasri for me was very much an individual on the pitch in a similar vain to Arshavin. I look at the side now and I see a team which is greater than the sum of its parts.

As for English youngsters vs overseas debate i’m not sure it matters too much, I think it depends on the age they arrive at the club in terms of how much they live it.

Exhibit A : Szczesny

Show me a more passionate Gooner than him.

70. Panic says:

gm, i’ve been hungry in Thailand. Dogs are fair game.

71. Panic says:

G.I.E I think you have found a very good subject to balance the debate. Chez is going to be a legend.

Exactly Rocky, Jenks is a proper fan. The only difference is that his bedroom ceiling probably now has a mirror, hehehe, were as mine, much to the disdain of Mrs Terry, is adorned with a poster of Kanu leaping over Wiltord at old trafford. hahahahaha

Terry :)
    I love that image of Kanu and Wiltord. It makes it look as if Kanu has vaulted 8ft in the air (what you can’t see is that Wiltord is kneeling down :) )

74. Shevo says:

love the post AA. Selling that piece of camel shit turned out to be an excellent piece of business. I only wished Arsene had got rid of him sooner and given himself more time to bed in the new recruits. I’m sure Arsene won’t make the same mistake again the same I’m sure this will not be Ca$hri’s last move to try and “win trophies”..LMFAO

75. Big Randy says:

RL. You have ruined one of my AFC images. I had no idea Wiltord was kneeling!

RE: Showing the kids what Arsenal means. Has there ever been a better example than the return of TH14 ? Some questioned our ambition when he came on loan (quite reasonably) but January will stay in the memory of all employees (and the fans) of Arsenal for a long time to come.

76. Big Randy says:

Shevo. You are right. Nasri will be in Italy or France by 2014.

Strange there has been no reaction to Arshavin’s move. It feels like he wasn’t an integral member of the squad.

How such a great player becomes peripheral is a mystery.

BR, Shevo
    And playing “soccerball” in North America by 2015…

79. goonermichael says:

Just been reading about a vicar with a potato up his bum. Can’t stop giggling

hahahhahaha, what was his explanation GM?

81. goonermichael says:

He was changing the curtains naked and fell onto the kitchen table. Why is everything so much funnier if it’s a vicar?

Do you think he’s found the root of all evil?

hahahahaha, i mentioned some time ago GM, that i have a Doctor friend whot old me this an often recurence at A&E, and the usual excuse is falling over. In the Vicars case he should have pleaded Divine Insertion.

84. goonermichael says:

I can’t stop giggling like a 12 year old. Naughty vicar. Why a potato? What’s wrong with cucumbers?

The good news for him is that potato crops qualify for 100% agricultural tax relief, so hes arse is basicly Tax Free.

86. Panic says:

Quality gm.

BR. I’m a firm believer that Henry turning up when he did was the catalyst in our season. Not just important goals against Leeds and Sunderland but when he arrived up we were definitely on a downer. He certainly left us in a much healthier and happier place.

The atmosphere at the Emirates is testament to that. I’m enjoying going there again.

87. goonermichael says:

The funniest one was the signalman who lacerated his penis with a mini vacuam cleaner at work.

88. Panic says:

If that’s the case where were the Pet Shop Boys dancing naked when they kept landing on small furry animals????????????

89. TotalArsenal says:

‘His arse is basically tax free’ :)

90. SharkeySure says:

I’ve only read half the post so far….and I’m mightily impressed.

Frankly, you really should be getting well paid for write ups like this.

91. goonermichael says:

That was Richard Gere Panic

92. goonermichael says:

Sharkey
    When you consider what sports journos are being paid for. The writers on here are better.

Tax-free and Root of all Evil. LOL

Fundament -ally wrong :-D

94. TotalArsenal says:

GM, I think your vicar joke is ample evidence that for a Spud to defy gravity the only option is to be stuck firmly up the Arse(nal)! :P

95. TotalArsenal says:

GM :)

96. Gooner in Exile says:

Another typical day on AA :D

Panic you’re right about Szczesny a legend he will be.

Excellent post, TA.

Why some can’t enjoy the fact that the FFBW’s stats are worse than our own boys’ stats is beyond me. It’ll be so funny if he ends up with no cups.

Mind you, I doubt the mercena$ry will give a flying f*ck as he sits at home counting his cash while staring at a picture of Liza Minneli wishing he looked like her.

98. Arsenalista says:

Top article.

We miss Nasri like Libya misses Gaddafi.

We don’t miss Clichy either shanking and slicing everything he touched. Frankly a dont miss having a left back called Gael either. You sound like a right nonce yelling out, “go on get in there Gael”.

We miss Cesc, maybe less when JW gets back but the side still lack a Cesc or a Dennis.

They don’t grow on trees though.

The side are coming good. We are gradually getting rid of the bad influences.

99. gman71 says:

Nasri is not world class so will never command a definite place in their line up!!
    Wenger would have got more out of him not least because our style of play would suit him better.
    Anyway good riddance to another failing ex Arse.

Hi Jamie
    Not many clubs have a Dennis or a Cesc. If you look round the EPL, who would you say could be considered in that class?
    Rooney?
    Silva?
    Gerrard?
    RvP is better than Rooney and I’m not sure the others come into Cesc/Dennis levels…

101. Arsenalista says:

Rocky, they don’t but they aren’t trying to play wengerball are they?

The position behind the striker. JW might fill it. If not then we need one. Ramsey is suited to playing deeper.

102. TotalArsenal says:

Chas, Chas, Chas, once again you have adding fabulous videos and pictures. I love the Lisa-Na$ri one and the spud-arse as well, but I really loved the Wenger-dancing video: what a gem!! :)

Arsenalista – yes they don’t grow on trees, but they do come down beanstalks. Jack is going to be our man next season.

103. Gooner In Exile says:

Btw seems like you can now use your normal email address and blog name to comment without logging in…..no gravatar tho.

Any news on Kozzer being fit for QPR?

104. SharkeySure says:

“in an unsettled team that is going through a major transition this year, they are both currently outperforming Na$ri ”

Amen to that.

My nightmare summer scenario was Fab going and Na$ri staying. N**** in CM would have been a complete disaster.

For me its quite simple, N**** always wants too many touches of the ball, going back and forth with touch after touch with no net gain in yardage. He never seems to take one or two touches and move the ball on. He never seems to pass the ball more than 5-10 yards either, its as if he never wants to be too far from it, or he’s basically loaned the ball to a team mate so that he can have it straight back again.

Contrast that with Fabregas. An absolute master of the early pass, pplayed long or short, forwards or backwards, inside a full back or over a CB. Fab at his best, made all of his team mates look like better players…even that lanky one from Togo.

In short, Nasri plays for himself, wants to make himself look good, and has little or no thought for his team mates are diomng, uinless its about them making him look good..ie when he linked well with Fabregas.

Ps. Fantastic work on the stats….

105. SharkeySure says:

“yes they don’t grow on trees, but they do come down beanstalks”

Excellente !!!

106. SharkeySure says:

Chas = Legend !!!!

“Lisa-Na$ri”

Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

Almost wetting myself here…..

107. TotalArsenal says:

Sharkey, sorry to have missed you. Thanks for the fine comments and you are right Fabregas was/is of a totally different category than the bench magnet.

Night all. Looking forward to GM’s maiden post! :)

108. TotalArsenal says:

GiE, no update on Koz as far as I can see. But I am not bothered too much as JD will do fine next to the Verminator if Koz is unavailable.

109. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Whats the difference between the MCC & Arsenal F C. Arsenal has English players

Talk about chocolates to boilled lollies :lol:

Gnarley,
    Ashes :-)

GM,
    I share your sense of humour. I have only just read your naked vicar changing the curtains story. Spudded.

Or perhaps a musical man of the cloth. Just taken up the tuber.
    Disgusting. Coat.

Taken up the tuber. :)

Morning Chas,
    I read you are off to the CL Final, so here’s something to ponder. At the CL Final in Paris I was offered £1200 for my ticket by a tout. What price a pair for a Barca Madrid kick about?

Morning Micky,
    The ballot rules say your name will be printed on the ticket and identification required at the turnstiles. I should have put my name down as Carlos. :)

Off to work again. Sure does get in the way of a good blog.

I know you have gone Chas, but there was no name on my ticket although apparently the same rules applied back then.

Morning.

Just read Barton’s quote about livelihood.

Jay Boothroyd has a house in the road I used to live in (crouch End). Costs well over a mill. (sadly, not when I sold) and he has a collection of cars which must have cost 200k.

This for a player who has spent much of his career in the Championship.

Footballers earnings are obscene, Mourinho earns €120k a DAY!

Where are you Oz Gooner?

120. dandan says:

Morning BR. Papers this morning are tipping Brendan Rodgers for the Spurs job at season end, hope not he would be dangerous, a proper manager who knows how to manage a group long term through growth, unlike Arry who works on turnover if he cant deal he is neutered.
    Funny I had suggested to my pool supporting son that Rodgers would be the man to replace Kenny, I dont want him turning the spuds into real competition.

DD. I fear they already are. Spurs have a very good squad of players and a poor run does not make them a poor team.

If Monkeyboy ad Ratface stay and Spurs buy a couple of decent players in summer,…. there may be trouble ahead (but while there’s music and moonlight and love and romance, Let’s face the music and dance”. Irving Berlin)

RA – look that one up and listen to Diana Krall’s version.

122. dandan says:

BR you are a man who likes your food: I have just cooked and eaten a couple of freshly laid local double yolker eggs, lightly scrambled on toast with black pepper, delicous, being retired does have some advantages :-)

123. dandan says:

BR As for face the music, I cant see much beyond Ella for that one mate

DD. Absolutely one of my favorite repasts.

One of the negatives of all these low fat milks is that they are rubbish when working with eggs. Full fat or nothing!

125. dandan says:

BR Agreed, I am lucky that I get a tray of very large farm eggs many of them double yolkers each week, 30 eggs six quid, hows that for value

Morning all……

…..New post ……..

dandan,
    Down country lane in these parts, 30 eggs 3 quid, but then again, its about £100 to The Arsenal :-(
    Swings and things!

128. Patrick O'Neill says:

Forget Nasri he is no longer an Arsenal player and also forget Fabregas – I am still not convinced that Cesc back-heel at the Nou Camp was an error – he knew he was going to Barca. He could have kicked that ball anywhere, not backheeled it into his own penalty area. Arsenal are best rid of the both of them. Lets concentrate on our OWN players not someone else’s. ROSICKY deserves praise as he is now putting in some excellent shifts, keep it going Rocky. Also SONG needs special praise, not many midfielders can lift a ball so cunningly as he did to RVP at Liverpool and Theo recently.

COYG