Winning dirty – Match report

“We had a very strong start in the first 20 minutes, 30 minutes, dominating the game.  We didn’t take our chances and then Everton came back into the game. They became stronger and stronger and we became weaker in the second half, especially. Our link play was not good anymore.  I felt it was a psychological circumstance. We just wanted to keep the result because it’s so important at the moment. But Everton played very well in the second half.”

Those post-match words from Le Prof pretty much summed up the game. It was a fairly tense affair, in which we opened with waves of attacks and stifling pressure applied to Everton whenever they had the ball, before they fought their way back into the game with tigerish tackling and in-your-face pressing.

Everton would say they were unlucky to lose, citing a Drenthe goal wrongly disallowed in the first half for offside.  But then we had a perfectly good penalty call turned down in the second half, when Drenthe clumsily bundled over Rosicky on the edge of the box.  It looked a penalty at first glance and so the replay showed.

So on big calls, it was even (Gary) stevens for gripes against the officials. But the Toffees fans were sore about three poor offside decisions on the trot in the first half, and from that moment they decided the officials had it in for them, so even when good decisions were made later, they were met with howls of complaint. They shouldn’t have felt so aggrieved, most of the decisions were fine, and we were the victims of a big, bad call too.  And Tim Cahill was lucky not to get sent off; he seemed determined to add to his collection of red cards with a series of dirty, late challenges that betrayed his Millwall pedigree, and showed he’s not really up to playing in central midfield.  So I wouldn’t say that Everton were robbed in this game, they just didn’t turn their hour of dominance into clear chances.

One of the defining features of the game when we were doing well was the extent to which the newly-restored Aaron Ramsey supported van Persie up front.  Between them, they were able to carve out a series of chances for one another, with cushioned headers dropped back into space and sharp first-touch passes.  Ramsey completely fluffed the first chance he had, slicing a pass he received on the penalty spot and which he should have buried.  On other occasions, Ramsey’s efforts were on target but were blocked by Howard or defenders.

Van Persie ended the evening with the strange feeling of not going home with a goal against his name, and truth be told, wasn’t at his glorious best, but he still tested Howard on a number of occasions.  He hit the base of the post after Kieran Gibbs nodded down a cross-field ball from Alex Song.

But it wasn’t one or two touch passing that won the game, it was the simplest goal that we’re ever going to see and from an auxiliary attacker, Vermaelen, getting the crucial goal directly from a corner. In the 8th minute, from van Persie’s cross, Verlamelen rose above four 6-foot-plus Everton players, who bizarrely remained rooted to the ground while the smaller Vermaelen out-jumped them to nod the ball in.  The vulnerabilities of zonal marking were on display, with no blue shirt guarding the back-post, and a gaggle of defenders blocking off any chance Howard might have had to clear the cross.  With a traditional back-post defender, Vermaelen’s effort would have easily been cleared.

After the initial phase, in which we completely dominated the Toffees, we ceded control of the midfield and became inefficient in keeping possession.  Everton were able to overrun our midfield, and created a fair number of openings, but despite all their energy, the only time they really threatened was when Drenthe broke free on the Everton right after Song unwisely tried to pass from deep through the centre of midfield.  But Drenthe saw his legitimate goal chalked off by the linesman.  The only other time Szczesny was in a worrying position was when he stupidly tried to chip the ball over the onrushing Jelavic.  We were lucky the ball ricocheted off for a goalkick rather than towards the goal.  Other than that, Everton really didn’t threaten our goal.

I can’t say there were any startling performances from Arsenal players, with the midfielders in particular struggling to match Everton for most of the game.  But there was plenty of gutsy play, with a one-goal lead being defended for 85 minutes on a ground on which Chelsea, Man City and Spurs have lost this season.  We were probably assisted by having a 9-day break (tortuous as it is for us fans), during which time Everton had a Merseyside derby and an FA Cup Quarter Final.  But the most satisfying aspect of the game was the result.

Robin van Persie said it was time for digging in and winning dirty if necessary.  Well, this pretty much met that requirement, with a resilient, if imperfect, performance from the whole team tonight.  Fantastically, Spurs’ continued slump and our sixth win in a row (best run for two years, and this time against a better basket of opponents) leaves us in third place and top of the mini-league playing for the non-Manchester Champions’ League spots.  Chelsea’s defeat in the battle of petrol pump meant we’re six points clear of them as well.  Happy days.  Now just the small matter of consolidating and holding onto third place….

Written by 26may1989

263 Responses to Winning dirty – Match report

1. Morning all.
    Fab report 26M thank you.
    Well wasn’t last night perfect, well apart from the spuds injury time goal, but you can’t have everything can you?
    Looking at the side bar we only need 14 points from a possible 27 to overhaul last seasons point tally. Without
    Nasri and fab and LJW, a declining club? i beg to differ.

BR,
    You’re probably more ‘in the loop’ than me.
    I’ve started listening to stuff my bro likes such as The Rifles, Pigeon Detectives, Maccabees and the Young Knives, mixed in with a bit of classical to keep me calm in the car!

Off out to yoga.
    I’ll save the match report as a treat for later. :)

3. If that is our first choice back four, it has acrued something like 8 wins 2 draws no defeats, that all but confirms to me that our early season woes were down to that they weren’t available and that only.

4. Lonely here :-/
    I just hope some sections of the media give Arsene some credit now,
    at the start of the season we were written off and some were saying that it would be Arsenes greatest achievement to get this side in to the top 4, a couple of (decent) additions in the summer and we can be fighting for top spot,Manu are contending with the moneybags why shouldn’t we, although ManU have quite a bit more financial power than us, but nevertheless they don’t have the same muscle as the sugardaddys, maybe FFP is already having an effect.

26. BAng on the money. An average performance but an excellent result.

In both games in Liverpool we have been severely under the cosh and yet left with the points.

One can highlight many reasons (full squad, tight defence, RvP etc) but ultimately it comes down the the fickle lady herself. Right now Madame Fortune is shining her light upon us.

6. Ian Cameron says:

Am I the only one who was increasingly frustrated with Aaron Ramsey’s performance yesterday. He missed an absolute sitter and severely slowed the pace of the game especially when on the counter attack. It was as if he didn’t receive the memo that Arsenal are playing beautiful possession football again. I was disappointed with the performance yesterday.

7. GLH says:

Great post, and that statistics table needs update, i think, don’t we have six (6) straight wins now?

8. Reddawn says:

I’m sorry chaps, but you are not going to like this. Our best performences are when Ramsey is not playing. He didn’t look good to me and what’s worse he didn’t look good for Arsenal.

9. Ian
    RVP & Ramsey created chances for each other thats good enough for me.Ramsey gave 100% thats also good enough for me. I get frustrated with players all the time, especially when they do something stupid (WOJ), or miss hit a simple pass (SONG). But at this moment in time i’m happy with everything, including Ramsey who is rusty thats all.

Nailed that one 26. Thank you.
    One question, and yes I did watch the whole game, is what formation were we playing? We had four’ish midfielders and dominated things until they dropped one back to help out, and with that, pretty much neutered our fluidity. Most of our attacks came from the left and yet we had no wide left player. Confused I am.
    Power shift in North London eh Mickey Hazard. Yeah right :-)

Ian. Thanks for the comment.

Not having seen the whole game I do not know how we can judge. Sure he missed a “sitter” though the ball was high, RvP’s miss was a much easier chance. From what we witnessed on MoTD he dallied a little but to me he is the future of the AFC midfield.- AR, Song/Coquelin, JW

First game back after a month out and in his first full season Ramsey is doing OK, not brilliantly but OK.

And …… I do not understand how you can be disappointed with 3 points at a ground where Spurs, MC and Chelsea have lost in Everton’s last 3 home games.

As 26 says in the Post. Sometimes you have to win dirty.

On Ramsey,
    I understand the concerns, and as I’ve said before, I believe his long term position is alongside Jack, but, as far as last night is concerned, it was a very un-Arsenelike line up. My guess is that he thought Everton would have heavy legs and the plan was to swarm (c/o Rasp) them from the off and grab the vital first goal. That we did, it worked, and AR was instrumental in that tactic.

Another point on AR selection. Think how fresh Gerv and The Ox will be for the Villa game. Whoa :-)

14. robbinURpersie says:

Fantastic 26M, 10/10 for the post,

before i start i would like to say @ dandan, i am a stranger to yourself but a friend in the Arsenal family..just want to let you know that my thoughts are with mrs dandan and yourself through these testing times..

26m,Spot on..we were irresistable in the first half and had we buried some of the chances created we could have killed the game early on with some sublime football..Ramsey should not lose confidence nor the fans crucify him..today the goals just didnt go in, any other day he could have had three but the main thing is he is getting in with some clever runs…the goals will come..(even ibra’ has bad days :-) )

the game became tighter as the game played out but we have to give a special mention to our entire back 4..defensively perfect, in unison and a choreographed offside line that made everton look like eager 12yr olds and the linesman’ biased

im still smiling!!

sorry for yesterdays premature mention of St Totteringhams day, i meant to put question marks when i said it but i was soo pumped..so sorry @ Arsenalista

In sying that though i have a renewed belief/ confidence that the spuds wont be looking down on us any more this season..at times in the first half we looked like a swarm of angry WasPs, eveybody running off the ball, verm n kozzer in attack, id swear that Genius Wengers next project is a starting line up of super quality,utility players that can do everything in any position, in fast forward :-)

ps. @ GiE,

i CAN’T STAND Piers Morgan…arrghhhh, makes me wanna pull out my own teeth :-(

Hope everybody enjoys their day as much as i did mine :-)

15. Double98 says:

I don’t care what happens from here in… the fact that wenger has taken us from turd to third with “panic signings”, “kids” and “Djourou” shows that he is the best there is, the best there was and the best there will ever be.

Cockerels Crow Early on but the Booming of a Gun is the last word

Raddy,
    I am slightly surprised to see you on here today. Filled to the brim with culture and all that, I thought this might all be a bit low brow.
    Hope you had a nice evening though :-)

Micky. That I did. Got tanked up first though :-)

D98. Fine last sentence.

Right. Off to enjoy a day’s swaggering the sun

20. Good point Micky, That team will change for our home game against Villa.
    Last night seemed like 4 in MF and it worked well initially.
    Our home formation i think will be reverted back to 433 with Oxo for Rambo, & of course our new born 12th man that is obviously also a big part of our transformation.

Excellent report 26. i particularly like your reference to how Ramsey supported RVP.

Courtesy of my 2 metre satelite dish and my rather dodgy Albanian viewing card, i observed the whole game last night. There can be no argument that in away games this season we have had periods were the fluency of our game has been fantastic, followed by periods were we seem to lose control and are under pressure. This Jekyle and Hyde phenomenum can only produce consistent results if you have a solid back five, and boy do we have that.

I understand the criticism of Ramsey. At present he does disrupt the flow to our natural game, however, make no mistake, this kid will go on to be a world class player. He has everything in the locker, in fact the locker is overflowing. Show some paitence and dont lose faith. Very soon, Ramsey, Wilshere, and Ox will be our answer to the likes of Man Utd and Barca, and they wont like it up em.

Great match report 26m, I agree with Raddy, lady luck has at last decided to smile upon us – but its better to get the luck now and have the bad stuff at the start of the season so we can have a storming end to the campaign and break the hearts of the pretenders.

On Ramsey: I’m sure he will come good again but it is true that he holds onto the ball too long and tends to slow down our attacking moves – hopefully this wiill change as his confidence grows.

As it stands, I’d rather see Diaby on the pitch than Ramsey as he is a more commanding presence and has outreageous skills.

23. oz gunner says:

great recap 26, will re-read again later with the comments. cheers

24. robbinURpersie says:

still smiling oz :-),

my song dedication to Piers Morgan right now would be ‘Its oh so quiet’ by Bjork…hahahaha

I would also like to praise the following,

Chesney, will go to be the best goalie in europe, and also the most egotistical

Sagna, great player, great hair

Gibbs, lovley prospect, apparently loves his mum

kos, new keown, but slightly better looking

Verm, brilliant, evonne loves him

Song, warrior, not to be messed with

Thomas, is this man realy Lazaus in disguise?

Ramsey, (again), because i like him

Theo, like his mum more than Gibbs, and is quite quick

Arteta, class player and a good looking Devil

RVP, scores when he wants

26. robbinURpersie says:

Quick Question,
    anyone who watched the game – ‘in the 91st minute gervinho was released down the line, a ball he could have reached and held possession, he chose to let it out for an everton goalkick…..WHY?

i dont want to be nit-picking after an emphatic win but our players must be switched on for 98min if need be, and these schoolboy errors must be eradicated if our team are to evolve into champions..

Hes a very good actor robbin. I reckon he thought it was a corner, but he showed no emotion or reaction when a goal kick was given. Steven Spielberg should be contacted imediately.

28. robbinURpersie says:

terry :-) haha

29. TotalArsenal says:

Hi 26, an excellent match report, thanks :) I don’t think we won ‘dirty’ but I guess you mean ‘ugly’ or ‘by grinding it out’. It is absolutely amazing we have found this new resilience at the crucial part of the season – what a contrast with last season!

I like your point about how well Ramsey and RvP worked together yesterday, and Micky and RurP have made some good points as well subsequently. With a bit more confidence and less rustiness Ramsey would have scored a brace and he would have been our hero. The fact that he got himself in those positions is what really matters.

Luckily, fans like you, and many others, recognise our role in helping Ramsey achieve the top level of football that is clearly within him. Giving him the tag ‘he slows us down’ is not going to help – people wrongly see Aaron’s composure and the desire to pass accurately as a weakness. Once JW is back, Ramsey is likely to play in the Arteta position more regularly, and then we will see how his qualities will help to transform this team.

What makes Wenger such a good manager is that he knows when a player needs to play to get his confindence back and well done to him for starting Ramsey and keeping him on till the end. I have chosen Ramsey’s shirt in my new avatar as I can see that the next few months will be very important for him, and therefore for us. He is going to need all the support we can muster as fans are fickly and always like to have somebody to have a go at – even when we are winning. C’est la vie.

30. Slimgingergooner says:

Great set of results last night.

A win at the weekend and a Spuds/Chelsea draw and we are laughing all the way to Europe.

It’s a marathon, not a sprint. Maybe that’s a lesson we can all learn this season.

31. 26may1989 says:

Morning all. Gracias for the kind comments.

What has that Class A tool, Piers Moron, been saying now? Or is it what he’s not been saying?? If there were one Arsenal fan I wish would defect, it’s him. How he’s made a career on TV is beyond me – who wants to watch him?!

Ramsey’s quality. To succeed in a season we need a range of midfielders and he is a valuable member of that unit. Fans may get pissed off at perceived slowing down of the game, but he’s got a great engine on him and rarely gives the ball away, both valuable commodities. Plus he breaks into the box in the space behind the striker – his execution may have been off last night, but we know from experience that the boy has an eye for goal.

Four PL matches last night: two come-back victories (Shitty and QPR) and one at-the-death draw (Spuds). I thought we were meant to be the ones that recovered?! Not that I’m objecting.

Gervinho looked shapr when he came on – as Micky says, could be good versus Villa.

Sticks in the throat to say it, but Na$ri did well last night.

Hi TA, I couldn’t disagree with you more :lol:

After the start we had to the season and the magnificent way we’ve clawed our way up the table, the team, the investors, the supporters should all come first, not the personal development of any single player. I’m hoping Ramsey was played yesterday because we are going to see the Ox or Gerve on Saturday.

There is nothing anti Ramsey in what I’ve said andd I very much doubt he reads my comments :roll: he will no doubt be a great player for us as he matures, but at this precise time we have other players who will bring more to the team.

I’ve said he slows the game down because …. he slows the game down. I get the feeling he is always looking for the killer pass (the Cesc effect!) instead of being happy just to move the ball on quickly.

33. 26may1989 says:

“I get the feeling he is always looking for the killer pass (the Cesc effect!) instead of being happy just to move the ball on quickly.” – very fair comment, I think.

34. 26may1989 says:

By the way, I haven’t noticed any reference to any effect there may be on Miyaichi of the Muamba incident. I don’t necessarily think he’s going to be damaged by it, but in the footage, it is noticeable that Ryo is one of the players who was closest to Muamba when he was being treated. I’m sure Ryo will be fine, but he’s a young lad a long way from home, and something as shocking as seeing that at close quarters could have an impact on him. I assume Wenger has that covered.

35. 26may1989 says:

Orc Watch:

Tony Putrid: “We’re disappointed. Tottenham created good chances, but I thought we were fantastic.”

So fanatstic that Stoke had 8 shots to Spurs’ 24 (of which 2 were on target versus 18), they had just 29% of the possession and had 1 corner versus Spurs’ 13 corners.

Funny for us of course to see Spurs drop points but it’s telling to see what Pulis thinks constitutes a fantastic performance.

36. TotalArsenal says:

Hi Rasp, the personal development of Ramsey cannot be seen seperately from the performance of the team, or the imporances of the fans and ‘the investors’. We only win games through having players on the pitch, and as Wenger persevered with the previously below-par Rosicky – and many many others over the years – he is doing the same with Ramsey now. That’s what Wenger is all about and makes him second to none in developing players to the top level. He will do this not to the detriment of the team/the result, but he will take a measured risk. This does not always mean he gets it right, but he very often does.

I do think you like to pick on players, or should I say point out their shortcommings at the earliest convenience, but that’s your style and I have to respect it.

I have only seen the highlights of yesterday’s game, so I cannot comment on Ramsey’s performance on the night. Ramsey is not looking for the killer pass, in fact, it is Rosicky who is more prone to that. Ramsey likes to maximise on the opportunities available and as the team develops as a unit, we will see how phenomenal his vision and allround midfield skill-set are. What I have seen of him in the earlier part of the season is enough for me to know that Wenger will make sure Aaron will be in the first 11 players for many years to come.

37. robbinURpersie says:

i believe wenger chose the line up according tactics he thought were best…maybe rotation had something to do with it, im not sure?

i was both suprised and annoyed when i saw the line-up, why tinker with a winning formula, why move our most in form player out wide and out of position and why bring in a youngster when our morale had just started to peak with the same 11 that had started for the last few games…these were all the questions i asked myself??

after accepting the line up i kept convincing myself we’d bring on the ox late in the game, half expecting a tight game..

i believe wenger chose to start with ramsey and rosicky because they are more aware than say the ox or gerv, whilst hoping to nick it at any time..the fact is that the two R’s were everywhere,confusing even us , left wing, right mid, centre half, anywhere to collect the ball and make tackles..we had our chances to bury em, we didnt and as the game wore on so did their chances..there was no need to open up too much in search of a 2nd in the latter stages and wengers faith in our team to do the basics and ground out a clean sheet and the 3 points..shame we didnt take our chances, but Wenfer got it right today and the boys had to fight hard again..

whats that thing they say about hindsight??

it could have ended in so many ways and so many different factors could have been blamed or praised..

ahem, 1-0 win away to an in-form everton at goodison…id take that any day of the year…

38. robbinURpersie says:

*meant to say ‘bring in a youngster just back from injury’ *

39. Red Arse says:

Excellently detailed post match report, 26. :-)

I think the ‘new’ Arsenal, that is to say an Arsenal with a full complement of backs and a settled CB partnership are now gelling into an excellent team.

In the first phase last night, up until we scored, we played some of the best flowing, skilful football you are going to see anywhere.

Then the next prolonged phase was down to inexperience in this ‘new’ team.

Instead of continuing the classy, quick passing style that is so effective, we decided to play slow, measured passes across the back line, or to the Keeper.
    The result? We lost that oh so important momentum, and handed the initiative back to an inferior Everton. They will learn – they will learn! :-)

Why do some commentators feel the need to be so curmudgeonly in their comments about Rambo? He has just returned from injury – he needs to get rid of the rust and get up to speed. As TA has said, OK he missed a couple of chances, but my goodness he puts in a fine stint up and down the pitch, and was there to miss the chances.

Thank goodness AW did not listen to much the same comments when RVP was maligned for his tempestuous temperament and then for having chocolate legs. Enough said.

The end result of last night’s game was not ‘dirty’ or ‘ugly’ but a fine game and credit to Everton for their contribution. The whole team showed they are up their with the best, and the defence in particular were superb, with the only proviso being we showed a certain naivety in changing tactics after the goal.

I loved it — and it’s a shame some cannot accept that we are a young and inexperienced team, but capable of great improvement with time, and destined to go right to the top!

40. robbinURpersie says:

*more aware Defensively*

It’s good to see a more open dialogue on Arron Ramsey, for far too long there has been a “Three Brass Monkey’s” approach where any constructive criticism was met with an avalanche of excuses.

To say he slows the game down is, although factual, is an understatement. My belief is that he lacks the level of technical ability of his team mates and that shows in his indecision, instead of intuitively making a killer pass he plays a safe pass – typically sideways or backwards.

It’s said that he gives 100% and shows an abundance of energy – well let’s face it that must be the minimum requirement of a professional footballer.

All that said I really hope that he surprises me and becomes an all time Arsenal great – but I have my doubts.

42. Red Arse says:

RURP,

I think you have that right. It is a mistake to read too much into the teamsheet lineups.

Rosicky may have been expected to play on the wing, but AW’s teams do not stick rigidly to such preconceived or static positions, so he was everywhere – left, right, in the hole and giving everything, as you would expect of him.

The interchange of positions and speed of thought and passing were awesome for the first 20 minutes, and I love that style of play.
    Everton could not handle it.

One thing that really surprised me about last nights game was that we totally dominated for the 1st twenty minutes and should have had the 3 points wrapped up but for some erratic finishing.

Everton then made one change and pushed Fellani further up the pitch and that changed the whole complexion of the game, my surprise was that AW had no answer to such a simple change.

44. Red Arse says:

That’s odd – I thought we won.

Thanks TA,

I would only consider I was picking on a player if I knew in my heart of hearts that for some reason I didn’t like him – nothing could be further from the truth as regards Ramsey. I have immense respect for the lad. I do not however restrict myself by avoiding discussing what others would view as negatives and I would categorise as observations.

With the rest time betwen games for the remainder of the season, I would pretty much start with our strongest side for every game. If Ramsey is in your strongest side then you’d pick him, the way he is playing at the moment, I’d have him on the bench and start with a midfield 5 of Song, Arteta, Rosicky, Theo and the Ox/Gerv.

RA,

Yes it was odd – considering that Everton took over control of the game, we won dirty, but could just as easily dropped points.

Hi GN5, I thought our midfield was very lop-sided. Everything was going down our right Theo/Sagna for the first 20 mins, they eventually reacted to that and as you say afterwards pretty much stiflked our midfield.

48. Red Arse says:

Rasp,

After reading the dialogue between yourself, CharyB and Raddy, when discussing guitars and the related music, yesterday, I admit I was baffled by the terminology used and have now swatted up on the subject.

As a result — I am still baffled! :-)

I wish I knew more, or had some ability to play a musical instrument like you guys, and am just a tad jealous! :-)

Thanks for the report 26th.i unfortunately didn’e see the game only brief highlights.

I and others have questioned this season but as I said previously we now have a settled back 4 and though there is still room for improvement the fluidity has returned. Until quite recently we have had 28 different combinations in defence and having lost Fabregas,Nasri and Wilshere and at one time no recognised full back, times were tough. Walcott is now performing,perhaps as he has Chamberlain competing with him, and Rosicky who many thought was finished is relishing his game and playing as he did for Dortmund.
    It’s just a shame we got mauled in Milan but the 3-0 return leg showed a renewed confidence in the team even though we went out of the CL. That is character, and consistency and as Wenger says “a belief” has now followed.
    Name me another manager who could get this team where it is today after our dreadful start to the season. .
    Rambo is getting quite a lot of unnecesary stick for one so young.

Does Wilshere get berated through his lack of goals. Rambo is getting in the right positions time and time again and IMO he is if anything trying too hard, It is etched in his face when he misses what is generally called a sitter.

Hi RA, its a product of growing up in the sixties – playing the guitar was obligatory :P

I do think AW was experimenting with playing Ramsey in a more advanced position yesterday and had he buried one of his 3 chances we’d all be singing his praises.

What I didn’t like to see previously was him collecting the ball off Arteta’s toes instead of running forward into space and calling for the pass. There have been times when our midfield has looked too narrow and they’ve been getting in each others way.

Not having a specialist player in the wide left midfield was baffling when we had 2 players on the bench ideal for the position.

You were baffled Redders?, i have never purchased a record, album, cd or any other music media in my life. I have never been to a concert or watched a band play either. Never mind playing an instrument, my musical knowledge is akin to Harry Rednapps knowledge of calculus. The great thing is, that when music vids are posted on here its all new to me and i quite enjoy it.

53. Red Arse says:

Rasp,

I agree that there is occasionally confusion when the midfield is constricted and our players do sometimes get in each others’ way.

That, at least in part, is surely a consequence of so many changes caused by so many injuries and the team not having had the time to settle in together from the start of the season?

The defence, having been decimated in the first part of the season, has, in the last few weeks, begun to look much more settled, and the results are bearing that out.

I am hopeful the same will happen with the midfield, given time.

54. TotalArsenal says:

Rasp @12.40 fair comment. I find it quite hard to decide what is the strongest midfield formation at the moment. Luckily, Arsene has a choice again.

If only we had the same level of fitness of our midfielders when we played Milan in the home game, we would have finished them off in the second half.

Very true TA. I’ve been banging on about our players ‘swarming’ over the opposition and that is exactly what they did brilliantly for 45 minutes against Milan, but it is impossible to maintain that tempo with the same 10 players for 90 minutes – you need fresh engines off the bench as you say.

56. robbinURpersie says:

rosicky and ramsey both started to numb out their most biggest threat in Drenthe, i love the ox but he has been known to leave gaps down his side when we are attacking and i believe todays line up was a tactical change, which in hindsight worked..

GN5 they were not all over us, they had at best 2 half chances..
    amazing what we’d be saying if we brought on an attacker and conceded..my oh my…ramsey was our 2nd attacker today but defensively his game is more solid..it worked today even though i was against the line-up..

sometimes the managers’ are allowed to get it correct. ;-)
    when RVP was missing sitters why didnt we bring on Park…beats me, im no proffessor ;-)

still friggin’ smiling :-)

57. Red Arse says:

Fair point Terry, I too enjoy the vids, and many of the tunes/songs are vaguely familiar. :-)

Rasp, I think you are being too modest. Playing an instrument probably comes easily to you and others with that talent. I assure you, I am totally without any such God given gift!! :-)

When I read that one famous guitar player said he had been concerned, in his early career, that his hands may have been too small to play the guitar, I thought “What?” surely you use a plastic pick to strum and then twiddle the fingers of your other hand to change notes. Hey presto!

Now you can see why the guitar (and all other instruments) will forever remain a mystery to me!! :-)

58. TotalArsenal says:

Rasp, swarming is definitely a term you introduced to AA!

I read a few interviews with Milan players afterwards and they all said they feared the worst at one stage of the game, but we had to let them off the hook and that was so frustrating. Just imagine, we could have brought on two out of Diaby, Ramsey, Arteta, Coquelin or Wilshere after 60 minutes: we would have made ravioli of them :(

59. Red Arse says:

Perfectly true, TA, @1:03

Now say something I do not agree with, so that we can stop this love in!! :-)

I make you right there TA. If we’d have had a full strength bench we’d have won that game – but not the CL so who knows, maybe it was a blessing in disguise.

I read yesterday that some people thought that we were at a disadvantage against Everton because they were match hardened and we’d had too long between games – I wonder what the truth is?

61. TotalArsenal says:

RA :) with such a romantic avatar how could I possibly disagree with you?! :lol:

62. Red Arse says:

Does anyone know anything about 17 y.o Isaac Hayden who has just signed a professional contract?

I have lost touch with the kids teams over the last couple of seasons, especially since Setanta went bust.

I used to go and watch them regularly at Barnet but time and tide etc……… :-( CharyB too, was a regular, I believe.

63. Red Arse says:

The avatar reminds me of Hawaii, TA, but that makes me wistful, so I might have to change it!!

Then we can argue!!!!! :-)

64. TotalArsenal says:

I did worry about that as well Rasp. 9 days without a game is long and it could have had a negative impact on our momentum. I guess the early goal was just what we needed, although I believe it often goes against a team, especially in away games, as it motivates the opponent and their fans to have a real go at us.

Like 26 said, to keep a clean sheet for 85 minutes, the first one in a long time (since Bolton in PL?!), is a great feat.

65. TotalArsenal says:

RA, you should ask Oz to put a cannon or a picture of a menacing looking DB10 in the background of your wistful sunset.

66. robbinURpersie says:

Rasp and TA,

Awww, Gus would be so nausias with you two right now :-)

67. robbinURpersie says:

Hey Redders,

your last gravatar wasnt too bad?

Kermit the frog squatting :-)

What did you think of the line-up when the team sheets were announced?

68. Red Arse says:

Robin,

I wonder where Gus has gone? He seemed a good guy and I thought he was going to write a Post.

69. Red Arse says:

Cheeky sod, RurP. :-)

I never take too much notice of the team sheets.

They are dictated by injuries, tiredness (rotation) or tactics, so I go with the flow and accept AW will pick the best available.

He does ‘phone me when he is not sure, of course!! :-)

Excellent report 26, thank you.

Very fine discussion.

I watched Ramsey very carefully last night and thought he had a good game. In fact I would argue he was the pick of our midfield (well, him or Song).

I specifically watched to see if he was “slowing the game down” by “passing sideways or backwards”. He wasn’t.

He was instrumental to our period of absolute swarming (love that phrase :) ) dominance in the first 20 mins, at the end of which the game should have been done and dusted in our favour. He fluffed one really good chance to score.

At that point Everton started to compete with us in MF. We seemed to deliberately try to slow the game down by repeatedly passing from MF to the FBs, CBs and sometimes the GK in an attempt to keep possession. The main players responsible for that were TR7, Theo and Song.

Redders thought (12.28) this was down to inexperience. I think it was exactly the opposite. Our players have been lambasted in the past for getting themselves in front but continuing to charge forward as if chasing the game. Last night was evidence, I think, that the coaches/players have decided to be less cavalier when we get our noses in front: “let’s sit back a bit and try to hit the opposition on the break when they come at us to chase the game”.

However, in last night’s game it had the effect of stopping our early momentum dead in its tracks and we never quite got it back again until, perhaps, the last 15.

So back to Ramsey: some people have decided to label him as a player who slows the game down. Labels stick. So last night, when we were given a tough game by very tough opposition and when our fluidity was lacking for large periods, some people seem to have reached out to blame the currently in-vogue target… young AR16, perhaps more because of that label than because of his actual performance.

Apparently we would have been better off it our ‘first choice’ MF trio (of Arteta, Song and Rosicky) had been retained in their usual positions (rather than moving TR7 wide and adding Ramsey to the mix). That would be the same ‘first choice’ trio who were completely outplayed by Liverpool a couple of weeks ago in a game where we were fortunate to claim all three points. Perhaps that was Ramsey’s fault too – maybe he was giving off “pass sideways” vibes from the treatment room?

Someone above also mentioned that Ramsey was guilty of trying over-ambitious “Cesc” type passes rather than playing it simple. I am struggling to remember him doing so, but if others say he did then so be it. But I certainly do remember Song, Rosicky and Walcott all losing possession while doing exactly that – but, strangely, no-one has singled them out for criticism.

Where I do agree with Rasp about last night’s game is that the MF players did occasionally seem to lack a bit of mutual understanding and did seem to get in each others’ way a bit. But I don’t see that as being a “Ramsey” issue – just an issue of a different line-up and a very committed opposition.

Sorry… this wasn’t meant to be an essay…

71. TotalArsenal says:

Rocky, that is a super-comment. Really happy you chose to watch him carefully last night and shared your observations with us. You should really have this comment taken off and transform it into a post for next week, but I guess it is too late now.

72. TotalArsenal says:

RA, is that your dog?

73. robbinURpersie says:

RL,

in the past Ramsey has frustrated me as have other players, but your comments on his play tonight and our desicion to defend our lead and believe in our defensive game echo my thoughts and what i was trying to explain in some previous comments..the hardest thing for our young team in this transitional season is to find their own identity, players are stepping up…

74. Red Arse says:

Agree with 99.9% of that excellent summation, Rocky, (afternoon to you) :-) and reflects my views exactly.

I did say, as you indicated, that I believed the lack of momentum, after the goal, was down to inexperience. This was because I thought the team, as a ‘newish’ group, had decided to close shop too soon.

I do accept tho’ your view that it was also possible they had been coached to curb their madcap ‘attack at all costs’ attitude once they had their noses in front, to prevent a sucker punch counter attack.

Either way, we seem to agree that, whatever the cause, they overdid the possession football a bit and handed the initiative back to Everton, who had anyway raised their game.

You saw the Rambo situation in exactly the way I did!

You write as many essays as you like — they are as good as Posts!! :-)

Thanks TA
    I was really pleased when you chose AR16 as your gravatar.
    We have a young player with huge talent and potential, but some people (and I’m not referring to anyone on AA) almost seem to have a vendetta against him.

Cheers Redders
    Perhaps the ‘dropping off’ was a combination of both our theories – the players may have been encouraged to be more conservative when we get a lead, but their lack of experience meant that rather than slowing down and controlling the game, they slowed down and ceded control of the game.

There – we’re both right :D

77. Red Arse says:

He is, TA, a large, beautiful, black German Shepherd (except for the white spot on his chest)!

Gentle and good natured, but very protective of me! :-)

Right, work calls…

Talk later…

79. goonermichael says:

Great match report and a massive 3 points. We kept a clean shhet and didn’t have to come from behind. Someone called Ramsey a pub player last night on Twitter. I just ignore it. He’s closely followed by Gervinho in the slagging off stakes. I’ve come to realise that some people just need to slag others off. I find it easy to take it with a pinch of salt though.

RurP;

I never said “they were all over us” what I said was that they “controlled the game” – which they certainly did. All it would have taken is for them to have made something of their “one or two” chances and we would be singing a very different song.

81. evonne says:

RA – that’s my mad Shirley!! Where did you get a picture of her?

82. evonne says:

26may – a bet you are gutted you have chosen a miserable profession in law, when you could be a fine writer! Sports journo for example. And the world would have been a better place for it, for you would write the truth and nothing but the truth.
    Thank you for such excellent match report.
    Yes, the captain set us an objective and the team has met his target, brownie points to all!

83. evonne says:

Monster – how do I get a picture to show in a comment?

84. evonne says:

Terry – correction, Evonne LOVES him

85. robbinURpersie says:

GN5, yes you are correct

my apologies..i just never saw them as a threat, our back 4 played near perfect and it was that type of game..had they opened up to attack us we would have scored on the counter..they parked the bus and hoped to nick a draw…they never came close, learning the offside rule may help..

86. evonne says:

Robbin – about my ‘bit harsh’ comment last night. It is a long story, but in a nutshell – Micky winds me up about Szczesny because he knows I don’t like him. And I don’t like him because he is just like his father, whom I never liked when he played – arrogant, mouthy so and so.

87. WiganGooner says:

Great review, honest and insightful.

I felt that it was all about the result last night, i felt it before the game and I bet with it and doubled my money.

Let’s hope we can keep up that focus against Villa on Saturday. We are massive favourites and well we should be. We will need the 12th man in the crowd to help us out and see us to the 3 points and hopefully Chelski will smother the spuds a little bit and either win or hold them to a draw.

Now that would be a perfect saturday and I wont see any of it :( (off at a christening and after-party) how inconvenient and rubbish!!

WG

88. evonne says:

Wigan :) Micky and son are going to the game, they will be the 12th man, have no worries

89. WiganGooner says:

@RA

I used to go to Barnet quite a bit too, but as you say, time, tide and distance curtails the most determined of travellers…

..that and ‘er indoors doesn’t like me running off at a moments notice to go 200 miles down the motorway :)

WG

90. WiganGooner says:

@Evonne

Sweet, I hope they scream a bit for me :) I’m no fan of Villa or “Big Dick” or whatever his nickname is…

WG

91. TotalArsenal says:

RA, as if you need protecting! :lol: You might know from previous comments that I am not big on dogs, but yours looks fabulous. Recently, my daughter has fallen in love with dogs and she keeps asking me to get a chocolate coloured – now there is a surprise! – labrador. I am not sure how long I can keep fibbing her off with excuses…

RA,
    Frankly that is a pathetic attempt at sucking up to Evenne. You know full well she has a German thing, and I know full well that you went out and bought the beast only this morning.
    Pah, the lenghts some men will go to!

Arsenal are the only EPL team with a 100% record over the last six games.

Top 7 …………..

Arsenal —— 18 pts 100%
    Man U ——- 16 pts 89%
    Man C ——- 15 pts 83%
    Newcastle — 8 pts 44%
    Chelsea ——-7 pts 39%
    Tottenham — 5 pts 28%

TA,
    Wow, my daughter is exactly the same and wants a chocolate labrador as well! Its bye bye to let’s jump in the car and clear off for a few days though.

95. Afternoon all and an excellent view of last nights excellent result from my learned friend, 26.

Redders – @ your 1.25pm true I did go to Underhill to see the pre season friendlies with Peachy back in the day, got to see the debuts of a fair few players, Kozzer, the Verminator, Chamakh and that famous occasion wqhen Raspers and me tried not to ogle Chesney’s g/f with legs up to our eye level.

For me playing the guitar was down to getting bored of playing the bass, something I was forced to do as no one else in my school group wanted to play bass.

I don’t have the talent/skill of Radders/Raspers – I’m more an enthusiastic amateur.

I’m fairly limited in my abilties, a bit like Midge(From “Mary, Mungo and Midge”), who could only play one tune on his flute. :)

Oh boy how soon we forget — I left off the much vaunted – this is our year –

Liverpool – 4 pts 22%

97. TotalArsenal says:

Micky :)

Bang on the money, 26, thanks. As you say, the result was all important.

Aside from the superb result, the main talking point seems to be the ‘offside goal’.
    Last night I was convinced that each time they paused the video it was before the ball had been kicked. I thought I’d attempt a forensic examination of the decision from Arsenal Player.

Freeze frame no.1.
    This is the shot used by everyone to prove it was ‘miles onside’. As you can see Cahill’s boot is a foot away from the ball. The lino (ringed in white) has chosen Jelavic as his line of sight. Isn’t it meant to be the last defender?

Freeze frame no. 2.
    The ball is now 5 feet from Cahill’s boot and by my rough estimate Drenthe is now in an offside position. The lino is still in line with Jelavic so he can only guess about the relative positions of Kos and Drenthe.

Freeze frame no.3.
    The ball is just passing Vermaelen and Drenthe now looks 5 or 6 feet offside.

In conclusion, the decision was probably marginally incorrect, but in the time the ball travelled 5 feet, the relative positions of Drenthe and Kos changed. You have to have some sympathy for the lino who has to make a split decision and had Jelavic confusing his line of sight.
    Also the question arises, ‘where was Gibbs?’. The answer is, on the halfway line, hence the big hole at left back when Tommy moves over to cover.

Anyone that says I’ve wasted my time, you’re probably right, but I enjoyed doing it, so what the hell. :)

GN5,
    Totts 5 from 18
    Pool 4 from 18
    Comedy Gold :-)

100. TotalArsenal says:

Micky, it is hello to picking up hot dog poo and continous conversations with fellow dog owners about the virtues of theirs and your four-footers. Yippee.

Chas,
    You have a forensic approach to detail. That’s all. Nothing crazy or anything :-)

TA,
    Too true. Us pussie lovers simply do not bang on about our “four-footers” (love that term. Adopted) :-)

103. goonermichael says:

Chas
    Fellini (yes I know) was 2 yards off side and that may have distracted the lino. Or possibly he’d put a bet on us winning.

104. TotalArsenal says:

Yep, pussies are perrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfect :D

Evonne,

There seems to be something in WordPress which shows photos when the link from when it was posted on Twitter is copied into a comment, but I can’t even get that to work some of the time. GIE is the expert.

Otherwise, if you want to post a link to a photo you have to upload it to somewhere on the internet such as Twitpic (which I use) or Photobucket and then copy the link address on to here.

Rasp knows how to put a photo directly into a comment using html code, but that’s too complicated for us mortals. :)

Clearly AR has been the centre of some debate here today, but can I throw another fly into the ointment. Its Gerv. I am not convinced it has really dawned on him quite how priviledged he is to be playing for The Arsenal. I just don’t think he has been fully converted yet.

107. TotalArsenal says:

Chas, that is a super comment. I am imagining you doing your yoga-session this morning, in which you should be concentrating on the deeper meaning of being, or the beautiful mathematical measurements of your yoga-teacher’s bodily trophies, yet instead, you are thinking over and over again about last night’s off-site decision. :lol:

Let’s face it, we all have football on the brain! :)

I’d like to add my support to Rambo for his performance yesterday. I thought he was outstanding in the first 20 minutes when we were at our swarming best (aside from the slice over the bar, of course).

The whole team slowed its passing after the first 20, so I don’t understand why Rambo suddenly becomes chief culprit. By the way, I was pleased nobody stumped up any player ratings. I find them too subjective to be of any worth. I suppose they do provoke discussion though. :)

If there’d been a man of the match poll, I presume the Verminator would have won it because of his match-winning goal and overall Lion of Flandersesque performance?

109. SharkeySure says:

Cheers 2*4+18

Great defence of Ramsey as well. I agree that he has minor faults, but he brings so much to this team with his work rate and driving runs.

He will score a hatful once he ‘breaks the seal’

110. SharkeySure says:

The two Ronnies
    Morecambe and Wise
    Bert and Ernie
    TMHT and GLIC

And now we have Randy and MIDI:

MickyDidIt89 says:
    March 22, 2012 at 10:18 am
    Raddy,
    Hope you had a nice evening though

Big Raddy says:
    March 22, 2012 at 10:20 am
    Micky. That I did. Got tanked up first though

At my desk having a right good chuckle at that one

Haha, TA.
    Surprisingly football didn’t enter my head once as I was downward dogging and practising my tripod asana. :)

112. SharkeySure says:

Agreed Chas.

Our CBs don;t make it any easier to pick who’s no.1 do they..??

Defensively they wre two absolute beasts..but they both add so much more.

Kozzer brings the ball out of defence as if he’s Gazza and creraes a lot for us.

Verm seems to run forward without the ball to cause havoc.

Remember all the blarney about Verm being too short, and then we see him soar past Fellaini’s afro as if he wasn’t there.

113. Crikey Chas, you’re embarrassing me with your yoga skills as I’m “to the manor born” in that respect and am as inflexible as they come and I should really be better at it.

Dogging, and using a tripod as well Chas? hahahaha

115. goonermichael says:

Micky
    Gerv got some stick last night on twitter. I didn’t see him live as I got bored with a stream that stopped working. On motd however he set up a chance from a great run. I really like him. If he’s the type of player who doesn’t whinge if he’s on the bench I think he’s going to be a success.

For those wanting to compare Ramsey’s pattern of play to the other midfielders, have a look at the pass maps on the fantastic 7am kickoff – it does show that he was asked to play the more advanced role which could explain why he wasn’t too close to Arteta and not guilty of slowing the game down as much as recently….

Chary, not sure I understand the ‘to the manor born’ comment?

Here’s a litlle video for you. Drinking versus yoga.

118. TotalArsenal says:

Tripod Asana, wow Chas, that sounds exotic! I had to look it up and found this:

Pretty impressive, if this is the sort of yoga you are doing!

TA, what the devil is going on?, is that vid real?. Chas a couple of questions a) Are there lovely women at these yoga classes?, and b) If there is, can i come along?

Her arse is too high in plank.
    I quite like it when I feel my landing gear engage!
    I can do that standing on my head. :)

121. goonermichael says:

She’s not working her stomach muscles that much with her bottom that high. Even I know that. She’s supposed to be straight.

122. evonne says:

Micky and TA – get your girls beige pugs, they are bestest dogs on earth, clever, easy going, cute and small. Can put one in the car and disappear for a few days, no problemo, they love cars. Plus, they truly enjoy watching footy, especially Arsenal games

Chas – thank you, I just wanted to show my Shirley to RA, but what’s the point, it’s the same dog :)

Everton fans are going on and on about the offside that wasn’t. What about the penalty that we should be awarded?? It was a bloody good game though, proper game, not pussing around

Ahhh, ignoring me i see Chas. Threatened by Terrys explosive Tripod Asana? You just want all those lovely yoga chicks for yourself, but ime not aving it. Come on weres the venue?

Terry,
    All the girls that do yoga are like this. :)

Rasp
    Thanks for the 7am link.
    Re-reading my earlier comment about Ramsey I hope you didn’t think I was suggesting that you had formed your opinion of his performance based on his ‘label’ of being someone who slows down our play.
    I know your comments are always based on what you saw… and it is perfectly possible for two people to watch the same thing and come to two different conclusions about what they saw (just ask any copper who has ever had to take multiple witness statements for the same incident :) ).

chas
    Yoga v drinking – hilarious. I never realised before that I’m a yoga expert :)

No worries Rocky, that didn’t cross my mind. The stream I had yesterday was so poor I found it difficult to recognise some players. I just think that we’d found a successful midfield formula and suggest that maybe we should stick to it at this vital time.

The freedom we had for the first 20 minutes (when Ramsey looked at his most dangerous) was more to do with Everton allowing us the space. Once they’d sorrted that out, we weren’t able to penetrate them as easily as at first.

Of all the great vids you have posted Chas, that, with a bit of imagination on my part, is by far the greatest. hahahahah.

129. Red Arse says:

Oh come on, Rock, that is precisely what you meant about the Rasper! :-) What an argumentative and confrontational journalist you are!! :-)

Anyway, I will have to ask the Rasp first what he was watching when I chance to disagree with his opinion! :-) [I didn't see it guv -- but he were definitely off side!!] :-)

Evonne, my beautiful [male] shepherd will bite your ass for calling him Shirley. Surely you cannot be serious? [his bits and pieces are definitely still in place] :-)

130. Red Arse says:

Terry,

What has happened to the Glic? You promised he would be back!!

In the meantime, you can put that magnifying glass down when watching Chas’ vids. You would be better off just counting them! :-)

131. Red Arse says:

Do you know, Rasp, I think you should consult 26M about suing the Rock.

He said “(Rasp) I know your comments are always based on what you saw…” when you had clearly admitted you made your comment when you could not see a thing on your stream.

I think I have caught both of you there, and I am working on incriminating 26, too! :-)

132. Red Arse says:

Yikes — has anyone else got shitty adds appearing at the bottom of their screens?

That is disgusting!!

Redders
    eek!

Thank goodness I complimented 26 on his fine match report. Come to think of it, it may be the best report I’ve ever read. (Please don’t take the suit 26… )

Redders
    No ads.
    Do you mean ads for Man City (called Shitty by some on here)?
    Or ads that are horrible?
    Or ads for kiddie diapers (as you colonials like to call them)?

Micky. I had the most beautiful dog which is great with kids and cleans up it’s own poo if properly trained.

He was (died last year) a chocolate flat-coat retriever. Have a look at the pics and you will agree they are stunning looking, and superb for a country gentleman like yourself. They can even to trained to the gun. What I liked best about my dog was his temperament – full of energy and fun when needed but chilled out when in the pub.

Check out Google images for a flat coat

There is a breeder near Newbury

RA. No ads here. You must have picked up a virus from a porn site :-D

137. Red Arse says:

Rocky,

When I go to post a comment, an advert for Life Ins pops up at the bottom of the screen, which in the circs is a bit worrying!! :-)

Your OK with 26, Evonne has already insulted him by saying;

@ 3:14 –” 26may – I bet you are gutted you have chosen a miserable profession in law, when you could be a fine writer! Sports journo for example.
    And the world would have been a better place for it, for you would write the truth and nothing but the truth.”

As opposed to telling whoppers all the time? :-)

BR
    “Whatever you do, do not buy one of those ankle biter dogs – they are for women and gentleman who wear handbags.”

No truer words were ever written on AA :)

139. Red Arse says:

TA, and Micky,

Chocolate flavoured labradors or retrievers are fine, :-) but be careful to check out your breeder carefully (if you buy for your daughter(s), and you know you will give in, eventually). :-)

They have been so popular over the last number of years and a lot of disreputable people have bred dogs with very suspect temperaments.

140. Red Arse says:

That weird add has buggered off now that you have returned Very Randy!!

Probably the Rasper teaching me a lesson!! :-)

Sometimes the obvious gets lost in the heat of a fashion explosion.

The streets of CPH are filled with young people who have a rat masquerading as a dog on a red lead.

As a lifelong dog-owner I have learned the hard way which is the best dog for a family.

Ive never had a dog, and know very little about them, but why do they always stare? My mates got one of them Boxer types, and he just sits opposite me staring. Theres no way of telling what hes thinking because the rest of him is motionless, but he certainly likes to clock.

Terry
    Perhaps he fancies you :)

RA. That is true of all dogs..

First port of call has to be the Kennel Club with their list of approved breeders.

Right that is enough dog talk from me.

145. Red Arse says:

By the way, Rock, you Canucks call ‘nappies’ diapers too, don’t you?

We should have invaded in 1934 and that way we would all speak the same language!!!! :roll:

— “The U.S. plan in 1934 was titled “Joint Army and Navy Basic War Plan – Red,” and it included plans for the invasion of Canada by the United States as part of a larger worldwide military action.

War Plan Red was actually designed for a war against England and it’s Commonwealth. The scenario imagined a conflict between England (code name Red) and the United States (Blue) fighting over vital international trade and commercial interests.

Oh dear!! :-)

The damned adds are back — WordPress seem to have their own invasion plan!

Terry. It is because a Boxer is so stupid there is nothing at all happening inside his head. It might as well stare at a wall – not that I am suggesting you look like a wall ……. but perhaps it is as Rocky says ;-)

Don’t cross it though – it will have your arm off.

Yes, that explains it Rocky, very understandable hahahahah

I prefer Rockys explanation Raddy hahahaha

149. Red Arse says:

Randy,

Five policemen in London, trying to arrest a man, were attacked by a ‘pitbull’ type dog, with 3 of them suffering serous injuries, and two requiring plastic surgery.

Pictures on TV show a lot of blood all over the road. The dog was eventually shot dead.

Bloody owners!!!!!!!!!

My taste in music…..

151. Red Arse says:

Terry,

The Boxer is probably worried in case you fancy him – a dog has feelings you know! :-)

152. Red Arse says:

Brook Benton for me, Raddy! :-) But I like that vid of Otis too!

If Otis’s band were any cooler, they would be ice!

154. Chas @ your 4.46 – yoga is part of my cultural heritage so technically I should be good at it; however that line of thinking is rather like me saying I have a genetically in built capability of being able to perform any of the karma sutra.

I know what you’re thinking, it didn’t work as a chat up line and doesn’t work now. :(

Yes Redders, thats even a better explanation hahahahaha. So basicly, its a who fancies who stand off.

RA.. No No No No.

Both Premier League but Otis is RvP to Benton’s Jermaine Defoe

Oh TMHT my two favorite subjects apart from Arsenal.

I hear vynil is back and I have about 1000 LP’s from the sixties and seventies and a few presley 78 singles on HMV. ( I know you don’t know what i am talking about ;) )

Dogs, we had 6 and now sadly only 4 .Two are Boxers, Boxers are people friendly that’s why he stared at you or was it the syrup :)

By the way just finished drying my hair.

RA: I beg to differ. No dogs are born aggressive.i t is how they are brought up.

Chary. Keep trying!

159. I’m too old for that now Radders, to quote Danny Glover(Lethal Weapon) – both the yoga and the chatting up.

Kelsey, hahahahaha. you can keep the music thingeys and the Dogs, but i would sell my soul for your tremondous Barnet. hahahaha

Ta;lking about Barnets what happened to Barnet Gooner, seemed a nich chap when he popped in during all the mayhem.

Next time I have a haircut TMHT I will send you the cuttings,that should do you hahahahaha.

BR,

telling porkies again.Another bald eagle on here but loves his music. :)

163. evonne says:

Pugs are not ankle biting dogs! I had big dogs all my life and have never appreciated joys of having a small dog. I cannot wait till I get another pug, already have a name for him – Jenks! or Sagna if it’s a girl
    Plus the dog is not for Micky, but for his daughter

“By the way just finished drying my hair.” :D :D

Subtle but brilliant Kelsey…

165. Red Arse says:

Kelsey, my dear, you are begging to differ with me over something I did not say! You hairy beast! :-) Wait till you see my dandelion clock hair! :roll:

I blamed the drug dealing owner for that poor dog being made into a monster by using two words ” bloody owner”. So we are on side!! :-)

166. dandan says:

Afternoon all, A fine read 26 I had a lousy unwatchable feed last night so was glad to share your account.
    Funny 1 – 0 to the Arsenal has a sort of familiar ring to it and the fact that we held it for 85 minutes is a real blast from the past.
    Ramsey, fine player in my book but like Theo expectation tends to demand more than is sometimes reasonable, God forbid the ox has a bad run, but as I have remarked many times before it is in the Arsenal DNA to have a player to blame.

Raddy as for dogs, i have been the lucky owner of a string of Border Collies throughout my life, the latest one lies at my feet now as I type, for me the brightest and the best of dogs, gentle tireless playmate with kids, but god help anyone who threatens any family member when a Borders in charge.

Evening dandan
    My wife has relatives who are farmers in the north east of England and they always have border collies. Wonderful, intelligent dogs.

Hope Mrs DD is improving.

168. HI all

Just settling down to read the days comments and wondered if anyone had written a post for tomorrow. Be back in a while :)

Apologies Thou who I cannot understand a word of. I misread your comment RA :)

I am not a bald eagle, I just have a wide parting.

Brad Friedel says Spurs are definitely not crumbling under pressure. hahahahaha

Give me a break Peaches. I will be writing 3 this week. Pick on someone else.

DD. Border Collie is a wonderful dog.

Peaches
    I’ll try and knock out a quickie.
    (Stop it Terry).

173. dandan says:

why dont you look in the bin peaches one has been there all day lol

RL- Teachers pet. The RHWP clicks her fingers and …….

It’s not sucking up, BR. It’s fear…

176. dandan says:

No real change Rocky, just loads of test’s

177. Irishgunner says:

Evening all.

Nice write-up on the game, I only got to see the 1st half, my stream gave up in the 2nd.

I only managed to find one Liverpool fan today and I pointed and laughed at him, but he agreed they were shite and there was no fun to be had in that ….

178. Thanks dandan – I should have checked there first ;)

179. Red Arse says:

It’s the accent when I type Kelsey!! :-)

DD, as a self confessed wuz, I have always hated needles, injections whatever. But I have had so many over the last year I have become totally indifferent to them – nearly – almost – (currently undergoing weekly venesection) so I particularly feel for Mrs DD! :-(

Brilliant comments today. You are all on top form.
    Keep it up as it will give me excellent reading matter for the morning until I manage to wake you all.
    I have to go and make a fish hot. Nite.

181. Red Arse says:

Nite, Micky, and from me too, guys!

182. Irishgunner says:

Benik Afobe has gone to Reading on loan – hope he can get a game, they are going well.

183. dandan says:

Thanks Red Arse, you had me worried there I read that as Vivisection :-)

184. TotalArsenal says:

Thanks for all the dog-advice. A PUG sounds good. Is it short for Persie U Genius? Also like the sound of the Border Collie. Shame I don’t like dogs though.

Evonne: it it is a girl I will call it Sagna hahaha :)

185. Irishgunner says:

A friend of mine at work got a ferret … she takes it for walks :lol:

186. Irishgunner says:

I’ve killed the blog …….. come out and talk you guys

187. evonne says:

Irish!!! You and the cats! I sometimes read your Facebook comments, you are soooo very funny!

TA – both my mother and my almost-ex hated pugs before they met Romeo. You cannot not love pugs, they are born comedians. And look, do you really want your girl growing up resenting you because you would not let her have a dog, or would you rather she loved you even more for getting her a puppie? Children growing up with dogs are more immune to alergies and bacteria, for obvious reasons :)

188. Irishgunner says:

:lol: Evonne – I do love my cats :)

My facebook basically goes football,football, football, football, Lady Gaga, football :lol:

189. goonermichael says:

I don’t like dogs. Maybe it’s the owners. If I had one though it would be a pug. Has anyone eaten dog?

190. Irishgunner says:

Not knowingly GM

Post in drafts Peaches.

192. I have to say that evonne and I do favour the black variety – pugs that it – here’s what they look when they are very small

and they do do that funny little tongue thing

……. lots more to come, I’ll try to find some of Romeo and Ralphy

193. Look at that face, you’d have to love it wouldn’t you

194. evonne – if you’ve got pics of the boys send them to arsenalnuts and i’ll put them into my photobucket ;)

195. Irishgunner says:

“Romeo and Ralphy” – Who are they? :lol:

I wish tomorrow was Saturday, work is going to be shite tomorrow, the fucking drama some people create over nothing. If they watched football they wouldn’t have time to be moping. Wrecked my buzz there now today, and it’ll be killed tomorrow – be a bitta craic though :lol:

Fecking women and their feelings.

196. Two posts!!!!! My cup runneth over :)

Have I mentioned how much fun I’ve had today meeting and smiling – nay grinning – at spuds :lol:

You lot that live away from North London, you’re really missing out on the best fun :) I’ve been able to check the time with half a dozen, asked them what they see when they look up …….. it’s great :lol: :P

197. Hi Irish – I know you do cats but our Pugs are silky and slinky like tiny panthers. They love stretching out in the sun, they are amazing. Ralphy belongs to my daughter and her boyfriend and Romeo belongs to evonne who is the boyfriends mum.

198. evonne says:

Peaches – ‘ if you’ve got pics of the boys’ !! IF??
    I will send them soon

Irish – you seem to be enjoying a few nights out too, good girl!

Right GM our engagement is off :)

200. Irishgunner says:

I’ve nothing against dogs Peaches, just love the cats. Pugs are cute , and I do love that Ralphy and Romeo have each other ha ha

This is Harry – Harry died in May last year, she was just 2 :cry:

And this is Jo (Catnaijo – as in Cottoneye Joe, the song, I just wanted to spell her name fancy :lol: ) she’s treated like royalty, got attacked there late last year by something and we feared she wouldn’t make it, but she’s right as rain again and like nothing happened.

I also have Cpt.Jack Sparrow (she’s only one eye) and Phoenix, and my baby Bailey – she gets whatever she wants, whenever she wants it.

201. Irishgunner says:

Evonne – Ah yeah, nothing like the bit of craic. Being good this weekend though – learning to drive part II :lol:

202. evonne says:

Irish – driving is a doddle when you are a blond; you are expected to be stupid, just use it to your advantage when doing as you please :) Oh, just don’t forget to smile broadly and wave the hand

203. Irishgunner says:

:lol: Evonne – I’m not really blonde anymore though, 85% brown hair again …

Courtesy of the Internet.

……………………………………………………………………

A police officer stops a blonde for speeding and asks her very nicely if he could see her license.

She replied in a huff, “I wish you guys would get your act together.

Just yesterday one of you took my license away and then today you expect me to show it to you!”

205. evonne says:

Irish – bad mistake, now you really need to pay attention to the traffic on the roads :)

One more…………

A car was driving down the street when all of a sudden it started swerving. The car was going back and forth till someone with a cell phone called the police. A police officer pulled the car over. A blonde rolls down the window and says, ” Officer, I’m so glad you are here. I saw a tree in the road, then I saw another. So I had to swerve to keep from hitting it!” The officer looks at her, then says, “Ma’am, that’s your air freshener

207. evonne says:

GN5 – exactly! That’s how a blonde gets away with trying to run over an ex-husband, clever girl

208. Gooner In Exile says:

Evening all, bit late to the party …long day.

Have only seen highlights so can’t really comment too much on the performance except I’m glad we won.

Thankfully 26 has filled in the gaps that the highlights didn’t show, surprisingly enough no penalty appeal to be seen on MotD.

As for early discussion of Rambo that I started to read, I think there is a case for him being a slowing player, when in fact he is just a different player to what we are used to.

In fact I would go as far to say we haven’t had a player like him since Ray Parlour or David Platt. He may not be the clever passer that Cesc was or the clever dribbler that Nasri was, but he has got a shot, and he puts himself in goalscoring positions regularly. Its a good thing that he does things differently to TR7 or to Wilshere, Arteta and Song. Its called variety and its maybe the plan b we haven’t been able to call on before. Ramsey will be as influential as Gerard is for Liverpool, he will be the one in the future dragging the team from defence to attack and busting a gut to score all important goals.

On the slowing play maybe he has a few more touches than most, but he can also do things quickly, one of the opportunities for RvP came from a series of one touch passes which involved Rambo pushing it quickly to TR7. He also then found himself on the rebound.

Anyway off again, sorry I haven’t had a chance to read all the comments, always feel like I’ve missed out on days like today.

209. Gooner In Exile says:

Peaches said: Look at that face, you’d have to love it wouldn’t you”

Not really ;)

You have to love this tho http://www.dailypuppy.com/member/anonymous/album/260/photo/707

And one just won Crufts :D

210. Gooner In Exile says:

But here’s the real deal:

211. Gooner In Exile says:

Back to football Kos has 3 big games not to get booked:

212. goonermichael says:

This was the night my Mum was taken into hospital. It was waiting outside my door when I got home and came in and kept us company all night. they definitely have a 6th sense, It stayed the nighgt after my Nephews wedding too. I see it around but don’t know who it belongs too. I’ve always been a cat lover.

If you look at the pug comments, they are all from women apart from TA who obviously wears a handbag :-)

214. TotalArsenal says:

A manbag thank you very much you hairy (Dutch-)Anglo Viking! :P

215. SharkeySure says:

Cracking work today ladies and gents.

Loved your offside analysis and some other comments across today and this morning.

Same to you for yesterday Oz..

Sharkey
    The blog feels more ‘balanced’ now there’s some football to talk about :)

217. Gooner In Exile says:

See the Mail are saying Thierry made a transatlantic flight just to pay a secret visit to Fabrice Muamba..went in through a back door by all accounts.

London, saturday, 19 degrees, sunny. Perfect.

Sensible Micky say a Spuds win, in conjunction with an Arsenal win, leaves us nine points ahead of fifth.
    Trouble is, Micky is a Gunner and quite likes the idea of Spuds in fifth.

What is the latest on Totts Stadium plans?

221. evonne says:

Morning Micky the Gunner!
    Spurs draw on Sat, defo
    Is Micky Junior as excited about Sat as you are?

222. evonne says:

GiE and co – having looked at all the comments and picutres I have decided that the best dog is a happy dog :)

Micky. Deeply envious Dutch-Anglo Dane here. Going to see if I can find a super cheap flight.

Morning cat and dog lovers.

Micky,
    They’re not going to need one anymore. :)

Evonne,
    We’ve been talking about it for the last hour!! We are deciding what to wear :-)

Micky,
    Tavern at 12.45 for chav v spud kick off?

Chas, :-)
    Somewhere even more modest perhaps? A nice cosy little 20,000 all seater !

Re: Spurs new ground.

They have been trying to buy 135-142 Lordship Lane but Harry’s Kebab’s (Award-Winning) have refused to sell, so have the Mukaji Newsagents in 142, so the plans have been shelved.

Raddy,
    That would be brilliant. You know exactly how much sense it would make. I reckon it would be a shorter round trip from your end. We could have a race!

Chas,
    We get to Paddington at 11:20. Finsbury 12. So will come straight to Tavern. Have to slot in the kebab though. Its now a ritual thing.

Enfield have a nice 5k stadium.

Close to the marshlands of the River Lee, so an easy knuckle drag from home for the fans.

Perfect.

232. evonne says:

Morning Chas! You cannot start boozing in the morning, be pissed before 3! I may pop in to meet Oscar and give JC my final answer

233. evonne says:

Micky – full strip of course! The one you were going to wear at Highbury square last year

Micky,
    Haha, the match might be a bit raucous and sweary anyway. Any outcome does us some good.
    Definitely no changes to lucky pre-match rituals.

Bum. No early flight to Stansted,

I used to live fairly close to Enfield stadium on Southbury road.
    What a sh*thole, it’s absolutely perfect.

Evonne,
    I’ll make sure JC changes his shreddies. :)

Ooops. I forgot DD’s ceasefire on Spurs fans.

Off to work. Unheard of, I know. Back later.

Get rowing Raddy

DD stated very clearly that the ceasefire was for the weekend only. Reload now :-)

241. Gooner In Exile says:

Don’t let fashion designers anywhere near sports kit

“attempted to redraw the union flag” – WHY?

242. Gooner In Exile says:

Morning all.

243. evonne says:

GiE – agree, I think the kit is awful!! No red, mostly blue and all somehow dull, dreadful.
    I like Polish strip – all red and white, beautiful

244. Gooner In Exile says:

So Afobe off to Reading and Aneke off to Preston for remainder of season.

Should be good to see how both do….hope they both get games.

245. Gooner In Exile says:

Evonne it just strikes me that Ms Mcartney thinks the Union Flag carries some negativity which in my mind plays further into the hands of those elements who use it as a symbol for their extremism. The flag needs to be reclaimed by the majority and by changing colours to some turquoise she is not doing that. I just don’t get it.

I see why you like the red and white of the Poles :D

GIE. 100% agree (he said putting down his Daily Mail).

Without getting into the flag issue, why change a great kit? It is like our away kit – bloody awful. Torquoise has no place on a sorts kit.

247. dandan says:

Morning all. Mickey I is watching you :-)

Raddy your 7.12 is that fact or a joke either way its funny, cheered me up no end ;-)

248. goonermichael says:

Personally I think the union flag should be dumped for the cross of St George, I don’t recognise the union or the national anthem. That kit is shit and an insult. mccartney is a shit designer too.

249. oz gunner says:

morning all, great comments yesterday. loved rockys words of wisdom on rambo and the drinking vs yoga vid. The crouching one reminds me of a 18yr old oz who passed out between rocks on the shoreline after i stumbled away from a club for fresh air.

@ Evonne

is it true what you said about pugs? the mrs wants one because she has heard similar things. I on the other hand want a sausage dog

250. goonermichael says:

Among those unimpressed was double Olympic champion Bradley Wiggins, who tweeted: “Oh dear — the Olympic kit” shortly after its launch. Wiggins, who was sponsored by Adidas until last year, later deleted the comment.

What a pussy. Can’t even stand by an “oh dear” comment.

Morning all.

I wonder how much Stella got payed to design that mish mash. Should have come to me as that is something I know I could have done better.:)

252. goonermichael says:

If it was up to me I’d have given you the job Kelsey. Adidas are making nearly 200,000 uniforms and by all accounts they are horrendous.

and each top is £50.00 retail, GM

I wonder if they were made in Asia in a Primark slave factory by kids.

254. evonne says:

Raddy @ 7:26 – on your bike!

Morning all…..

….. New post ………

256. evonne says:

Oz – ab-so-lu-tely! Fan bloody tastic dogs. Tiny, but with HUGO personalities. Funny, clever, easy going and ever so cuddly. Good guard dogs too.

My vet, a very old and very grumpy man, hates people, loves animals said only 1 full sentence to me in all the years I have been going to his surgery – pugs are a superior breed!

257. oz gunner says:

cheers for that Evonne, i’ll definitely relay that to the mrs. much appreciated

258. I am bored says:

I am bored…

[...]Winning dirty – Match report « Arsenal Arsenal[...]…