Carling Cup Curse Will Help Arsenal

The euphoria of last Sunday’s win will soon dwindle if we don’t get any points at Anfield on Saturday.

Not that it hasn’t been fun.

Even the densest of Spudders (which is a bit like saying ‘the tallest of giraffes’ or ‘the reddest of tomatoes’) have learnt to think twice when asked “what time is it?” by their Arsenal colleagues.

Meanwhile a quick trip round the Spud blogs reveals a hilarious outpouring of rage at ‘Arry, at Monkeyboy, at Adebarndoor, at Assou-Ekotto… in fact at anyone in a LilyLivered shirt.

But in terms of our league campaign it’s still only three points. Beautiful, heart-warming, Spud-humbling points, but still only three of them. Now it’s time to get another three in Liverpool.

With the return of real full backs and with Rosicky hitting his groove (hopefully he’ll be fit), with Theo having found his scoring boots again and with even Benny the Goon showing what he can contribute, there are reasons to be optimistic.

And there may be one other factor in our favour.

As we all know, Liverpool charged to a triumphant, buccaneering victory on penalties over Championship Cardiff in the Carling Cup Final last weekend.

You would think that would fill them with new confidence and vigour, but if you look back through the records, you’ll find that teams that win the CC often struggle thereafter.

The phenomenon is so marked it has even led to talk of the Carling Cup being a “cursed” trophy.

Look at Birmingham last year. They nabbed the cup in the dying minutes thanks to Koscielny and Szczesny’s Laurel and Hardy act, then went sliding down the table like a turd down the toilet pan, except with less glamour.

In 2010 Manchester United were gunning for the title. They won the CC final – and promptly let Chelsea in to take the Championship.

In 2008 the power and might (sorry, I meant “shower of shite”) from up the Seven Sisters Road captured the Carling Cup. They managed only three wins from the 12 games they played afterwards and ended up 11th in the table. Which sort of suits them, if you ask me.

In 2007 Chelsea had title aspirations, won the CC and gave the league away to Manchester United.  In 2006 the reverse happened – Man Utd got the CC and the Chavs got the title.

In 2004 unfashionable Middlesbrough picked up the trophy while also going good guns in the league. Like the Spuds after their victory, they went on to finish 11th, winning only five out of 13 after lifting the CC.

Liverpool were the CC winners in 2003, but couldn’t subsequently get themselves into the all-important Champions League places, finishing 5th.

Then there was Blackburn in 2002 – Carling Cup champions, 10th in the table at the end of the season; they took 8 points from a possible 21 in the seven games after their trophy win.

Liverpool again in 2001: In the five games immediately after winning the CC they took just 5 points out of 15.

There have been a couple of exceptions in that period: Man Utd in 2009 and Chelsea in 2005 both managed to win the CC and the EPL Title in the same year, but in both cases they had incredibly dominant teams during the seasons in question.

Will the Curse of the Carling Cup strike Liverpool on Saturday?

Who knows, but we can all hope…

RockyLives

146 Responses to Carling Cup Curse Will Help Arsenal

1. Morning all.
    Entertaining uproarious stuff from the Rock, as ever. I will always think of the Spuds when I hear the something similar to sinking like a turd down the toilet pan but with less glamour and a good point to be made about Carling Cup winners hang-overs.
    With any luck Stevie Me won’t be available and the Mickey mousers should experience some “after the Lord Mayor’s show”itis.

Moving onto injury news for tomorrrow, from Wenger’s presser it seems Robin and the Verminators “knocks to be assessed” but Rosicky and, more unbelievably, Diaby(who he?) are available.

2. Inspector says:

You are very funny! Arsenal didn’t win the CC last year but the ‘curse’ still followed ‘em! They were eliminated from all competition… Ah, wait, they finished 4th.. I will get my coat.

3. Inspector, only one team wins the Carlnig Cup – plenty of others don’t so of course the ones that don’t will include teams that lose form.
    The point of the article is that the most of the ones that HAVE won the CC then go on to flounder in subsequent games.

4. TotalArsenal says:

Another quality post Rocky, based on sound research! :)

Really looking fwd to tomorrow, only 27 hours to go!

Regarding numeracy (previous post): numeracy/arithmetics is tought predominantly at primary school, so it does make sense that 11 year olds are able to achieve quite a decent level before they move on to secondary school. Therefore it should not come as a surprise that adults will not be much better at arithmetics than 11 year olds.

Older generations have always complained about younger generations and that will probably never change. For what it is worth, I actually feel that our society is holding very well together giving the enormous tensions currently created by record levels of unemployment and the financial pressures many families/individuals are under, and the bleak economic prognosis for the forseeable future.

Excelent news Rocky,
    With “The Curse” it looks like a nailed on three points, and with this away victory, a nailed on top four as far as I’m concerned.
    You have brightened my day immeasurably, thank you.

6. Red Arse says:

Morning CharyB, :-)

Do stop spoiling Inspector’s effort to be sarcastic!!

Or maybe he really doesn’t get it?? :-)

I cannot add further to earlier comments on education in this country, especially in conjunction with the total lack of moral guidance from the system. I get too angry.

Chas,
    Just read your Chrome comment. Thank you, I will attempt the switch, although me and technology fell out quite badly a while ago.

9. Morning Redders, not sure if he was being sarky or not – a lot of these “one comment and scarper” merchants often miss the point.

10. Red Arse says:

Hi, Rocky, :-)

I like this! Straight in with a dose of Spud bashing, followed by a necessary reminder that, wonderful tho’ our victory over the Spuds was, it still only equates to 3 points, but neatly raising our spirits for the ‘Pool match with a reminder of the past woes of previous CC winners.

The master has produced, again!! :-)

Chas,
    It works :-).
    I have zoomed down and I don’t vanish behind the name boxes.
    In theory I can now write long intelligent Arseesque pieces.
    In practice, however, I may just stick to the shorter simple stuff :-)

Luvvly jubbly. :)

The densest of spudders.
    Haha, Rocky. :)

Chas,
    Panic Level about 7 going on 10.
    All my bookmarks have vanished!

15. Big Randy says:

RL. Top piece of original research and as always a highly entertaining read.

Loved “the densest of Spudders (which is a bit like saying ‘the tallest of giraffes’ or ‘the reddest of tomatoes’)”

16. Red Arse says:

Micky,

If you have switched from IE (a deeply flawed program IMO) to Chrome, your B/Marks will disappear they are very different pieces of software.

You will need to revisit your favourite sites and bookmark them again.

Doesn’t take long!! :-)

17. Red Arse says:

Micky,

Just (another) thougth — if you are in Chrome you can bookmark Google, for example, and then when you click on Google it will have retained any bookmarks you have in there.

The same should apply to IE. Bookmark it in Chrome, click on IE, and your bookmarks will still be there.

I am no geek, but that should work — altho b/marking anew in Chrome would be best! :-)

Piece of piss. :)

RA and Chas,
    Thanks.
    “Won’t take long” . cough..splutter!
    You have no idea how many I had and they go back years :-(
    Now to attempt the near impossible For me!

One thing,
    This chrome thing takes far longer to refresh a page. Is that normal?

21. Red Arse says:

Chas, :-)

You are a secret anarchist. That vid is dynamite and contains info on how to crack anyone’s passwords with ease.

Extraordinary!

RA,
    If you store passwords in your browser, then anyone else could use them on your machine anyway. Is that what you mean?

23. Red Arse says:

Micky,

I have to admit I am not big into bookmarks, and have about a dozen at most, so ‘won’t take long’ might be optimistic in your case.

Chas’ vid method will do it pronto — but don’t get scared looking at the other vids — especially if you bank on line! :roll:

24. Red Arse says:

Chas,

The vid leads you onto other vids.

“Rockoman” shows you how to get anyone’s password, on line. But I do not know the extent of it — and if it does what it says that could be bad news.

That’s not online, RA. That’s on his own computer. It’s just showing him his own passwords, isn’t it?

26. Red Arse says:

Micky,

No. Chrome is usually fine. You might be well advised to re-boot after you have transferred your bookmarks etc across.

It will allow the browsers a chance to reconfigure. — “Won’t take long” :-)

27. WiganGooner says:

Fantastic optimistic post Rocky, I love it.

I agree that there isn’t a better time to go there. We’re off the back of a great result and they struggled for 120 mins against Cardiff.

I think we’ll be the more confident side and a class-apart from the reverse fixture on August 20th 2011.

Come on you Gooner’s!!

WG

28. Park Royal Gooner says:

Good write up Rocky.Hope we can smash the Mugsmashers tomorrow.My boss is a Liverpool fun and had the oourage to wear a T-shirt with “2012 Carling Cup champions”.Hope we win and i will ensure that i wear my Anfield 89 top to work on Monday see how this will go down with her.

On a side note there is a Spudder wiring one of our trucks at work, he told me that he worked on the sound system at the Emirates and mentioned that some spudder burried his top on our pitch before it was liad.

29. Red Arse says:

You could be right, Chas, I did not want to watch it, in case I was tempted! :evil:

But the use of “anyone’s” rather than “your” concerned me.

e.g. “I can help you find your passwords” or “I can help you find anyone’s passwords” is quite different to me—-but you know what I am like with the English language! :oops:

RA,
    I always tick the option, ‘Never ask to save passwords’ anyway. My years of working in computers taught me that much at least. :)

31. WiganGooner says:

Jumping into the browser debate, I love Google Chrome and use it at home. However, at work, I choose to use a mix of Internet Explorer and Firefox because I find them more efficient for work.

…clearly I’m just a browser whore and have no allegiances whatsoever in any camp…

..and thats the last time I admit to being camp.

WG

RA,
    you can do the same with Internet Explorer, just not in the browser.

33. Gooner In Exile says:

The Brother in Law is a dipper, not sure he has ever been to Anfield, but he hasn’t crowed at all at the CC win. Let’s hope the curse affects them
    tomorrow.

Anyway in other news Arsene Wenger wins PL manager of the month for February, how strange for a club in crisis? ;)

And have I heard Abou is fit? Well available?

I use all three as well, WG.
    And Safari on my phone!!!!!

35. Red Arse says:

Hi TA, :-)

I would describe myself, if asked, as fairly middle of the road – neither a pessimist nor an optimist – but quite a pragmatist.

Having ‘known’ you and others on AA for some time, I now realise I am possibly a closet pessimist and possibly superstitious to boot.

I shudder when I read peeps saying “we will win 3:0″ or other optimistic forecasting, thinking it will bring bad luck, perhaps because we should have beaten Fulham and others of that ilk having been told by some that we would win easily, by big scores, only to lose or draw.

Yep! I am a superstitious pessimist after all!! :-)

36. WiganGooner says:

Oh well if we’re going mobile I use Safari on my iPod Touch and Blackberry browser on my Torch :)

WG

37. Gooner In Exile says:

ParkRoyal if true its probably why our pitch grows so well, nothing like raw shit to fertilise the earth :)

RA,
    If someone nicks your laptop, first thing to do is change all of your passwords on another machine.

Trouble is you probably won’t remember what they were as they’re all stored in your browser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

40. WiganGooner says:

@Chas

You might find the utility Produkey more to your liking, it will tell you every product key in use for Office, Internet Explorer and Windows.

It is on that Nirsoft site, I use it all the time for my job.

WG

Look at the state of Highbury in 1975!
    Terry Mancini playing made me laugh. :)

42. Red Arse says:

OK, thanks, Chas. :-)

WG,
    I don’t use that other product, I was just saying that your passwords aren’t secure held in browsers (any of them). Thanks for the tip, though.

My last comment has gone into moderation, so I’ll try again.

Look at the state of Highbury in 1975!
    Terry Mancini playing made me laugh.

Whoops still in moderation, I give up.

45. Park Royal Gooner says:

I use Netscape on my Laptop any tips??

46. Arsedave says:

RL

That is a fantastic observation or research, I like my stats and facts but have never come across this curse thing. However, that said the Dippers were really on a curse before the CC Final, all their good results recently have been against Man$ity and ManU in the cups, their league run has been nothing short of pathetic. I think they are at their lowest points total at this stage of the season since the Prem began. I fully expect nothing more than us carrying on from last week and I predict a 5-1 win.

47. Park Royal Gooner says:

Lawros Prediction:

Last week’s fantastic comeback to beat Tottenham 5-2 was a great way for Arsenal to bounce back from a difficult couple of weeks.

That game probably summed up where the Gunners are at the moment, because for half of it they looked a complete mess – almost shambolic.

If Tottenham had reached half-time leading 2-0, then I think they would have won comfortably. But, after that, it was just irresistible Arsenal.

Liverpool’s big problem will be coming back down to earth after winning the Carling Cup on Sunday.

What won’t help them is that they might be without Steven Gerrard, who came off early on in England’s friendly with the Netherlands on Wednesday. He had a tight hamstring and it was just a precaution, but he is still a doubt.

But whether Gerrard plays or not, this is Liverpool playing at Anfield, so I have really got to go for a draw haven’t I? That has been the story of their season at home.

Their failure to convert their chances almost cost them against Cardiff City at Wembley but I think they deserved to win the game. The Reds’ big problem, though, as I’ve said before is that I just don’t think they get enough people forward and into the opposition penalty area at key times.

This is a big game in the race for fourth place and the final Champions League spot, and I think it will end with the points being shared.

Prediction: 1-1

48. WiganGooner says:

@Park

Netscape? Lol thats a blast from the past :)

WG

49. goonermichael says:

Arteta Olsson Fans ‏ @MikelArteta08
    Reply RetweetedRetweet
    FavoritedFavorite · Close Open Details The winners of the Carling Cup receive just £100,000. A club in the Champions League receives €550,000 for each group game they play!

50. TotalArsenal says:

Hi RA :) I fully agree with you. I also don’t like to predict we are going to win (big) in case it will bring bad luck!

I just read an interesting article on the German ZDF website (the German equivalent to BBC for those who don’t know) re Podolski (see below).

Although there are no direct quotes that a deal is done, it is interesting to see that a serious website like ZDF heads the article with: ‘Bericht: Lukas Podolski wechselt nach England
    Kölner Liebling geht wohl zum FC Arsenal
    – Berater hält sich bedeckt’ –> Lukas Podolski moves to England – Kolner darling will surely go to FC Arsenal – Agent is saying nothing….

It is as if they know something but cannot quote anyboy but felt the need to write about it with such a strong headline… From the article it is clear that Podolski is unhappy at Koln and he has come out with a statement that the club has not honoured an agreement with him as regards to investment in the club etc. Although it says there is possibly already an agreement between Arsenal and Podolski, it also states there is no agreement between the clubs and that Koln might wait till after the European Championship before selling him (hoping for a good tournament by P in order to increase the price).

So not sure what to make of it in the end, but I like the link with ZDF and the headline is very positive…

51. goonermichael says:

Diaby is back!!

52. Arsedave says:

Goonermichael

Whose pocket would you like £100,000 to go into? I’m sure Rangers, Pompey and Port Vale wouldn’t mind a smack round the head with it.
    Plus Liverpool would have made approx 43,000 x £30 a ticket plus TV programmes, pies and hospitality in the Semi comes to about £1.5million.

53. Red Arse says:

Talking of passwords, I do not think it is a good idea to have them written down or stored anywhere. Sounds obvious?

Trouble is I have so many passwords for umpteen different applications. Trying to remember them when applying a mixture of letters, numbers and ‘signs’ to passwords must be a nightmare, right?

Well no. I use a formulaic method of password construction that is at least 15 digits long, using a combination (as above) and dead easy for me to remember, however complex they may seem – and are.

OK, nothing can beat a professional decryption process, but I always thought mine would beat the ordinary Joe. Then the thought struck me — if anyone did crack one of my many passwords, it would probably show them the strange workings of my mind, and by extrapolation they could very well work out the others, given time.

Passwords — what a nightmare in this modern era.

54. goonermichael says:

Arsedave

Arsenal take over £3m on the gate for every home game x 3 in the CL group thats almost £10m

I’d rather barnet had the CC money though :)

55. goonermichael says:

An irishman (or a blonde if that’s not PC) was inputting his password dopeysleepygrumpyaragornsteedbondmickeyminniedaffydonaldistanbul

Someone asked why he chose that password

It had to have 10 characters and at least one capital

56. Gooner In Exile says:

I reckon I could break most passwords of people on here with a combination of the following:

Arsenal
    Highbury
    Emirates
    Viera
    Henry
    Brady

Maybe have to throw a few numbers here and there. :)

Mine on the other hand are totally non related to anything about me as I always remember those tech geeks who given family members names and birthdates cracked about 90% of the passwords in organisations they tested. :)

57. 26may1989 says:

Not quite Exile, but you’re pretty damn close to cracking most of my passwords. You demon, you.

The Carling Cup Curse, like it Rocky. Massive game for us tomorrow, if we fail to get any points, it will set us back significantly in terms of morale and the race for CL places. Win and Spurs will seriously start to panic.

Do we have what it takes to break down the stingiest home defence in the PL other than City’s? Maybe, and the fact Agger is out will help. But it’ll be tough. And Suarez will be a real danger of course, and the lanky Geordie bloke loves playing against us.

58. Ade David, a Nigerian Gooner says:

They have won a cursing cup. Surely, curse will be on them on Saturday. Up Arsenaaal.

59. Park Royal Gooner says:

I told my boss that you won the Bevvy Cup then she replied we haven’t won anything for seven whole years.silly scouse.

60. 26may1989 says:

Park Royal: something to throw back re Arse vs Pool over the past decade:

Average league position in last ten years: Arse 2.8 vs. Liverpool 4.1
    Average points: 77.1 vs. 69.5
    Average goals scored: 75.2 vs. 69.5
    Average goals conceded: 35.8 vs. 33.5
    Number of times finished in top four: 10 vs. 6
    Number of titles won: 2 vs. 0

And how long is it since we were champions? 7 years. And Liverpool? 23 years.

Even in decline, we’re better than them!

Bloody hell
    My laptop has a file on the desktop with all my passwords in it. I have rather cunningly called it……Passwords.
    Time for a re-think?

62. Gooner In Exile says:

Nice stats 26 have you got a Dipper in your office by any chance? Well rehearsed :)

What I was really surprised about was that when they triumphed on Sunday the commentators mentioned it was their first trophy in 6 years, strange I’d heard nothing about that before then.

Oh, and I always tick the “remember password” box.
    I am actually doing quite a lot of yikesing as I sit here.

64. Gooner In Exile says:

Has it gone quiet because everyone is off hacking each others accounts or because everyone is busy repasswording :D

65. Gooner In Exile says:

Micky depends what your remembering and how bad your anti virus is. In the MacWorld we are oblivious to such threats, and our keychains are behind firmly locked doors. :)

66. critic says:

Liverpool are a midtable cup team. They will be up for it against arsenal though. They will press much better than tiny tots did.

GiE,
    I could swear I just saw Chas zooming about behind some of my desktop files. He’s camouflaged as a pointy thing, so watch out for it.

Good day everyone.

I have to agree with AW blasting the Belgian FA (in particular) for making TV play a full 90 while carrying an injury. Belgium’s game was a friendly and they’re not even competing in the Euros this summer. It’s a disgrace, and almost makes you wonder whether someone without Arsenal’s interests at heart bribed them to do so.

The result is that TV is doubtful for tomorrow and, even if he plays, is more likely to either perform poorly through being knackered or to aggravate the injury further.

Sprout-eating twunts.

If we can beat ‘Pool (and with a strong team I’m sure we can) and if the Mancs beat the Spuds, the gap between us and third place will be 4 points and we will definitely make that up as the Spuds implode.

Hi Rocky,
    Chelsea at West Brom. I sense a very good weekend ahead. Words I thought I would never utter: “Good news. Looks like Rooney is fit”.

70. 26may1989 says:

@Exile 2.52pm: You should know better than that. Obviously, the phrase “Have not won a trophy for x years” is reserved for discussions of Arsenal and Arsenal alone. The facts that it is equally apt for almost everyone other than Chelsea and United, and that Arsenal have sustained a position in the top four for years without cash, are neither here nor there.

Plenty of scousers in my office and amongst my friends, I’m sorry to say……

Sorry. Can’t engage, I have work related interference.

Haha Micky,
    I knew RA would have put the wind up you just as I’d managed to persuade you to try another internet browser!

Anyone bored with the highlights from Sunday yet?
    The commentary on this reminds me of John Motson……….
    ALLLAHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

74. Park Royal Gooner says:

Yahoo is the eastiest to Hack into no need for password.Some twat managed to hack into my Yahoo Account and changed my password.Being a smart cookie i use different Accounts for everything so the fool only got himself useless info ie church meetings.

75. TotalArsenal says:

Chas, that commentary is bloody brilliant: so much better than listening to Sky! :)

Rocky, it is indeed a disgrace that Vermaelen had to play a full game. Stupid Friendlies in the middle of the season – a total nonsense.

Great watching it again Chas.

The commentator seems to be referring to RvP as “Robin Hood” quite a lot after his goal…

Couple of things I enjoyed from watching the goals again:
    Gibbs’s superb disguised pass to Arteta for the first goal: he shapes to cross and then cuts it back to Mikel. That little move undoubtedly helped create more space in the box as the defenders started moving to deal with an expected first time cross.

The sheer quality of Song’s pass for the fifth goal. He had to get it up and over two defenders but with sufficient spin on the ball to bring it down quickly into Theo’s path once it cleared the second Spudder. Theo’s first touch was also fantastic.

Funny moment when Friedel is sitting on his arse after the fifth goal goes in. He seems to look at his left hand as if he’s counting the goals… Yes Brad, it really is FIVE :)

Haha, FIVE?

Each time I see the fourth goal I wonder if Theo would have scored if his first two touches hadn’t pushed him wide. Once they had, chipping Friedel was the only option and what a glorious job of it he made.

Minsk

79. goonermichael says:

My passwords are unrelates to any family members or birthdays. Some are in japanese and misspelt. I think it’s a bit shit when they ask you for a memorable date though. It’s going to end up being obvious.

One day macs wil start getting done by viruses

80. goonermichael says:

I liked the way one spud fan was holding up 7 fingers to the Arsenal fans reffering to the points gap but all he did was emphasise 5-2

81. Big Randy says:

GM. PLease don’t say that about Macs. It is the principle reason I use them and pay the ridiculous premium.

Spuds. Bless.

82. goonermichael says:

You’re fine with a mac for a few years yet Raddy. No one writes viruses for macs as not many people have them.

I can’t stand Apple.

83. goonermichael says:

photo/1

84. Park Royal Gooner says:

hu hu hu allaaaah lol i thought he ejaculated when Rosicky scored.

85. VCC says:

Chas. How could you get bored with a fantastic win like that?

86. Red Arse says:

Macs have had virus attacks but the news is suppressed. :-)

One more

88. Red Arse says:

As it is a relatively quiet Friday on here, can I address something GIE and others have remarked on regarding the lack of singing or volume of support at the Emirates?

Anyone not interested can skip my musings, please!! :-)

Everyone who attended the Spuds massacre and even those of us who watched on TV remarked on how great the crowd singing and chanting was (leaving aside the nasty bits re Theo).

Earlier in the season there had also been some very good chanting from visiting supporters, particularly from the German fans in the second leg of the Champions League. On each occasion the stadium had been filled with noise.

This has not happened too often though, where the home fans are concerned, and many had questioned Arsenal’s support at the Emirates.

Why is it that the sound levels can be so different, from game to game, and from one group of fans compared to another?

I don’t think it is all the home fans fault, and has a lot to do with the principles of acoustics, and here’s why.

What is ‘sound’ and how does it work?

A basic statement can be made without getting too deep into scientific malarkey, and that is sound like water can manifest in waves, and, like waves in water, two or more sound waves can constructively interact or ‘interfere’ with each other and increase the volume of the resulting noise, (like the size of a wave at the seaside) or can ‘destructively’ interfere and cancel out the volume, (like cross waves which remain small and choppy).

In simple terms, if two or more sources of sound are present and produced at the same time, the new sound wave created is the sum of the different sound waves, where the compression of the waves line up, and strengthen each other resulting in a much larger volume of sound.

This means, GIE, if you and I shouted/sang together, at the same time, we would produce a much greater volume and intensity of sound than either of us shouting/singing alone.

However, the opposite is also true.
    If we shouted/sang at slightly different times, the sound waves would interfere (destructively) with each other and drastically diminish the level of the sound, and in some areas of the ground we would cause a sound ‘dead spots’ where the waves would completely cancel each other out.

So what does this mean in practice?

A bank of supporters on the North Bank singing in unison, i.e. AT THE SAME TIME, can generate a volume of sound that can be very loud and intimidating. Witness to this is the chanting of the away supporters who unknowingly do just that, to great effect.

However, if a part of any group of fans is singing fractionally slower/later than the others, (out of phase) then destructive ‘interference’ waves are set up and the sound is drastically reduced.

Evidence of this are the pockets of home fans who separately try to enliven proceedings and sing out of time with each other resulting in reduced levels of sound as well as the dreaded ‘dead spots’

There is an additional complication, in that if the South Bank and the North Bank sing the same song, but slightly later than each other, the resultant sound waves generated by each Bank will get cancelled out when the sound waves meet.

What to do? Well, just think about how Cup Finals at Wembley have been conducted for generations. There is usually a song fest before the game, with a solo singer and a conductor who leads the way, both to start the song and setting the timing for all parts of the ground to follow at the same time, with great effect.

Why shouldn’t Arsenal attempt such a mass chant controlled by a central conductor or master of ceremonies? This would synchronize the phasing of the sound waves, and swell the volume.

It could well be the very simple answer to our supposedly poor crowd support, and could revolutionize our reputation as quiet little church mice!!

Everyone else can come out of hiding now!! :-)

89. Herb'sArmy says:

Evening All.
    One for the wonderfully warm ladies that frequent the site.

RA,

I think you have a great point. A singing section behind the dugouts or opposite the dugouts would be a great idea. Both North Bank and Clock End could then join in at the same time.

It just struck me as weird that we still call them dugouts even though they’re not dug out anymore.

Redders
    Thankyou. I think I understood…

As you well know, in US sport they have no objection to using the “conductor” method even in the middle of the game action.

The “conductor”, however, is often a big screen in the arena, pumping out the words that the fans are meant to sing/chant.

For example, at NBA basketball games the big screen will rhythmically display “De – Fence, De – Fence…” when the home team is defending.

It works, too (although it always feels, to me at least, a poor relation to the spontaneity of football chanting).

We could try it at the Ems, but the trouble is, I can’t imagine the big screens getting the singing going by displaying: “Oh… the wanky T*ttenham H*tspur went to Rome to see the Pope…”

….And this is what he said…….

93. Herb'sArmy says:

…whose that team they call The Arsenal…

Thanks for another cracker, Rocky.

94. Red Arse says:

Rocky/Chas,

I am not sure the American way would suit football fans over here, you are right, but it seems such a simple solution to bring the fans together, and based on science, (apologies to any serious scientists out there) :-) and I am quite drawn to Chas’ idea of dedicated sections to lead the rest of the stadium.

It would be great to get the crowd going — big time.

I am pee’d off that my hospital appointment and tests tomorrow will make me miss the ‘pool game — apart from me being a total, scaredy wuz!! :-)

Anyway it’s a flaming Saturday!!! :-(

95. Herb'sArmy says:

Hi RA,
    good luck for tomorrow, hope everything goes well for you.

96. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Rockstar, Hope the curse is on top form tomorrow.

Redders, :shock:

Know wonder Haircules Is a Love God, It`s just hit me, he looks like Ingleperv Humpanything.

I`m busy today, Whilst making my “Award Winning” love potion, I did not realise how strong It was going to be and I`m currently working on an antidote in a secret location just below my Harem, I`ve had to barricade myself in, my concubines are in a frenzy !.
    Sorry Big Randy, You`ll have to put up with a bit more Pole dancing from Mrs Big Randy for a while yet !

97. Red Arse says:

Thanks, Herb, :-)

Off to have my annual bath and make myself look pretty for the ‘morrow! :-)

Nite.

98. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Hope It goes all well Redders, Nite.

99. VCC says:

Hope all goes well tomorrow Red Arse.

Best of luck Redders

…just don’t mention Terry’s Telescope to those naught nurses…

102. goonermichael says:

Whatever’s happening tomorrow RA good luck!

103. gooner lost in cornwall says:

I could have give Redders some XXXBig Randy love potion but the chances of Redders being released by the nurses would be slim and I wouldn`t want him to endure night upon night of non stop lesbian nurse`s dancing around his pole !

It’s interesting, looking round newsnow, to see how little fancied we are to get a win tomorrow.

Most of the betting pundit predictions seem to think it will be a draw or a ‘Pool win.

Great! I love it when we’re underdogs, just like last week.

Bring on the win! I am feeling very confident…

105. VCC says:

Hi rocky. Me too, I’m confident we can get a positive result. I can,t help it but I still can,t come down from the spurs game. Run out of how many times I’ve watched the goals.

106. Gooner In Exile says:

I can’t quite believe this, Mannone was in goal for Hull, Blackpool had 11 shots on target and only scored 1.

Miracles can happen :D

107. Gooner In Exile says:
  108. Gooner In Exile says:

Oh and we’ve signed another winger

First of all, good luck for tomorow Redders.

Nice stuff Rocky, i certainly hope the scousers are not at it, there a good side and it promises to be a right tussle. Ive got a feeling they will go on and nick the FA Cup, there good at that, just like they nicked my mates trousers in 1986.

If we pull it off and grab the 3 points, ime convinced we will go on and grab third, which isnt bad for a club in crises. Its tough but i think it will be us doing the nicking and i dont mean trousers, 2-1 Arsenal

110. Gooner In Exile says:

Think Frimpong is going to be on sofa too, will be good to see our players in the press a bit more, there was a time where it felt like the players considered themselves above this.

111. Gooner In Exile says:

TMHT if we get the 3 points tomorrow Spuds will feel the heat….

And it will be bloody marvellous considering most of us thought 2 points from Spuds and Dippers would be a good outcome, the win last week takes a bit of pressure of this one. I’ll happily take a draw if I thought our lads could go and play for one.

Do hope TV is fit, if not I’d guess Carrol will fancy it and Dalgliesh will pick him.

One of the best things about the second half last week was TV winning everything played up in the air like his life depended on it, he was taking no prisoners.

GiE
    You’re right – if Carroll plays we could really do with TV.

113. slimgingergooner says:

Evening all.

Just back from the Rhinos game!

Let’s hope the Gooners can play as well tomorrow and give me the perfect ending to my birthday week! Lol

114. oz gunner says:

thanks for the post Rocky.

I also have a very good feeling about the game. They are without Agger, Lucus, and possibly Johnson/Gerrard which helps a great deal. Carragher will have to step up, which bodes well if the game has a lot of space. Nothing from Liverpool really worries me besides suarez. Downing and Henderson…nothing. Carroll…shadow of the player he was before he left toon. skrtel…error prone. Reina…overrated.

that commentary was brilliant Chas. When RVP passes it to Walcott for the fourth it sounds like he is saying ‘hub hub hub hub hubba hubba’ haha, he might have a thing for theo haha.

Personally i prefer Chrome (based on peoples advice on here a few months ago) as it’s set up better, and has a spell checker when i write on AA (very much needed)

115. oz gunner says:

@ RA

good luck with the tests. Hope all goes well.

@ Slim

happy birthday for thursday

116. oz gunner says:

@ Dandan

i hope the next lot of testing goes well and your wife is in the clear

117. slimgingergooner says:

Thanks Oz.

How selfish of me to bleet on about my birthday when others are going through rather difficult times.

RA, Dandan,

I hope things go well for the both of you.

118. Herb'sArmy says:

Happy birthday for yesterday SGG.
    I’m feeling quietly confident about tomorrow. We’re better than Liverpool, and as GiE says, 3 points for us and Tottenham get even twitchier.

119. oz gunner says:

I don’t think that’s possible Herb. He has already gone into twitch overdrive!

Redknapp sleeping

Morning all.

Can anyone confirm that RVP has only ever played once at Anfield since he joined us, as i just read it somewhere else..
    chas most probably will know.

121. evonne says:

Herb at 6:23 – thank you for Engelbert, but personally I prefer Eminem and SnoopDog :)

I don’t understand why I am not scared yet?? My almost ex Pool supporter laughs at me saying that ‘all yous care is that you beat Spurs’, maybe :)

No, seriously, it’s a big game. A win would bring us much closer to N17 and a massive morale boost before Wednesday. i can sense a draw though, not good for anyone

122. oz gunner says:

morning kelsey

according to a few tweets from including charlie adam it is true RVP has only played once at Anfield.

also:

@MickTheGooner: Using the Fernando Torres ‘methodology’ of goals to transfer fee ratio, Robin van Persie is now worth £483.3m! #CaptainVantastic #Arsenal

funny picture of jenks and RVP

123. oz gunner says:

apparently rosicky, vermaelen, and RVP are all set to play. Good news all round

124. evonne says:

Morning Kelsey and Oz – are you scared?

125. oz gunner says:

morning Evonne. Cool as a cucumber, i don’t rate Liverpool at all, Suarez will get pocketed by Kozzer with ease, just like he did to messi.

On the other hand Liverpool play very very defensive so i hope it’s not a grinder. Open it up and lets see who scores more i say.

126. Gooner In Exile says:

Evonne these boys are better than Delap :)

127. Gooner In Exile says:

Click on the yfrog bit if you can’t see the pic.

I am not scared of you Evonne :)

I see a red card today which isn’t wishful thinking as they occur every other game when we play them.

129. evonne says:

Ha ha ha, all good replies, I am not scared anymore :)

Even if you were shitting themselves you would never admit to it, you are men and don’t do ‘scared’ !!

GiE – oh no, them is butty boys?

130. evonne says:

Chas – do bears shit in woods?

131. Morning all – I’m scared but then I’m a girl ;)

Rasp – are you still about?

132. barumgooner says:

Morning all. I’m a little bit nervy about today. In theory we have the beating of em but we need to score first to open the game up otherwise I see Liverpool just sitting back and letting us have lots of fruitless possession. I think the Verminator will blast a rocket in from distance today.

133. Gooner In Exile says:

I don’t think Dippers have enough pace to beat us with counter attacking. They do have a very good centre back pairing tho (if Carragher doesn’t start). So it’s really important we see the same movement from the attacking 4 that we did on Sunday.

134. oz gunner says:

i beg to differ GiE, i don’t rate any of their defenders (other than agger), Enrique is solid though and won’t drive forward.

I agree barum, def have to score first

135. pat says:

hey guys and girls… heres to us doing over the scousers today. Good to hear Rosicky is available, he us starting to put in some good games – Mr Sagna is back big time as well – great goal and great game last week overall from him. Lets go gunners!

Starting with RvP, Rosicky, Verm/Kos, Sz down the spine and I cannot see anything other than a win.

I really hope BR sticks with the bile and puts the boot into the Pool supporters.

Last night I said these words to my lads
    I know you always try, lads
    Come on, come on, come on, come on
    Please, please me, woah yeah, like I please you

recorded in london by A.Wenger

139. evonne says:

Kelsey – :)

140. New Post …………….

141. Jamie says:

Nice pre match rocky.

Dead right, we need at least a point today. Let’s put it this way, would settle for 4 points from this and Newcastle however they come.

Nervous about the team sheet, no doubt RVP and TV are carrying knocks and Song and Rosicky didn’t train yesterday.
    I’ll be happy if we see a teamsheet with them all on it. Our overall away for is iffy but we might be ok today.

142. goonermichael says:

I think RVP is referring to Jenkinsons terrible haircut. I’m not taking today for granted. I’d be OK with a draw. We should be able to beat them. They are unbeaten at home this season though.

143. highlights says:

highlights…

[...]Carling Cup Curse Will Help Arsenal « Arsenal Arsenal[...]…

144. Best Webdesigning company…

[...]Carling Cup Curse Will Help Arsenal « Arsenal Arsenal[...]…