Let’s Boo ‘aving ya

I have spent the last season and a half bemoaning the boo boys, this week I was not alone as Arsenal fans rallied round our beleaguered manager and club in an attempt to rid us of the discontented.

But today as we prepare ourselves for our pilgrimage to the red half of North London it is time to consolidate, stand side by side and live alongside each other in harmony. So i have an olive branch for our disenchanted.

We need your boos, things need to change at the Emirates and you are the boys who can make it happen.

As well as spending the last six months bemoaning the negativity I have also been trying to encourage people to tear off the shackles of the new stadium and start creating some noise.

On Sunday I realised I’ve been guilty of cloudy thinking, the answer has been staring me in the face for months and I’ve ignored it.

Boos resonate within the ground, there is a theory that songs get carried out of time with the distance they travel round the ground, this is not true of the simple boo. You can pick it up at any point and you can even add some variation throwing in a whistle or two and some hissing, or some added variation of a few swear words. There is no requirement to know words, no embarrassment from singing on your own, or out of tune, and you can do it sitting down.

There is the added bonus of always being picked up by TV and Radio mics (some would suspect that they actually turn up the volume on the B of boo).

So far so simple, however here is the tricky bit, the animosity needs to be directed at the opposition…….I’ll just let that sink in…….I realise this is a revolutionary thought for you boo boys, but please bear with me.

Every time the opposition touch the ball we boo, if it helps just imagine that the opposition is ten Fat Bench Warmers, Almunia in goal, and Eboue set to come on as sub, that should help you reach your goal. The other tricky bit is to stop booing when we have the ball, you may even decide to cheer, but as your noise making potential appears to peak at the monodrone maybe you should leave the cheering to others in the crowd and save your voice for the next spell of opposition possession.

No more will we hear about the Library. We will create an atmosphere in which the opposition won’t think straight when in possession, it will also drown out any positive cheers and songs of encouragement from the away end.

So come on boo boys this is your opportunity to put your skills to work for the good of the team, and to change my perception of you.

Written by Gooner in Exile

151 Responses to Let’s Boo ‘aving ya

1. goonermichael says:

Good morning

2. goonermichael says:

I just read that Wenger is not ruling out Jack this season. It’s so depressing. We may get him back when it’s too late.

Haha, Skinny Legs.

I’ve seen this work twice:
    Once when Webb (I think) sent off Adebywhore early on and Liverpool were booed from then on.
    The other time was when Mason (plus officials) allowed that ridiculous Everton goal and we came back to win 2-1.

Booing the opposition, whatever will you think of next? :)

4. inventive and witty post ‘skinny Legs’

5. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Good Idea GIE, I`ve just looked out of my window to catch site of the Mother in Law, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !

I would appreciate a little help here fellow AAers, Com`on, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

GM,
    He wasn’t ever going to play a major part in the season anyway as he’ll suffer from all sorts of minor niggles on his way back to fitness.

We have got quite a few decent players coming back from injury though, so it’s not all bad news.

7. Red Arse says:

Hi GM, :-)

GIE, amusing piece, and cleverly deploying some lateral thinking to deflect a negative vibe for a positive effect.

On the downside you do realize you will now become the object of the more dopy boo boys?

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

9. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Thanks chas :)

10. goonermichael says:

Le coq and Sagna are back. Is arteta? It’s not all bad news but a little Jack cameo in the CL semi could swing it. I’m actually not really bothered about Gibbs coming back. He’ll break down after 30 minutes anyway.

11. goonermichael says:

I’ve got gary glitter playing in my salon and no one’s complaining yet. Just moved on to blockbuster by the Sweet.

Henry and Arteta could feature.

13. goonermichael says:

We don’t need Henry Chamakh is back

14. gooner lost in cornwall says:

I`m still waiting for some more Booing for my MiL.
    Did I fail to mention she has a Heart shaped framed collage of John Terry, Ashley Cole and Harry on her bedside cabinet !

15. evonne says:

GM – pee off, Chamakh :)

16. hey GM,

i wouldnt risk arteta unless he is 100%…i think rosicky can do the job at home, we need arteta come wednesday and beyond..slowly starting to become very very important to our set up this season..

17. GLiC,

BooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    BOOOOOooooooooo!!

18. evonne says:

GiE – I bet pretty Slava is already working translating your excellent piece :) Thank you Skinny Legs, lovely post

19. goonermichael says:

It’s funny how the same fans who booed the Ox’s substituition were slating Wenger for buying him in the first place. Some of those knobheads also think we should have bought Ba. Could you Imagine Wenger at a press conference “we’ve signed Demba Ba, he’s failed a medical but we’re going to risk it”?

20. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Thanks robin,

I thought that might do the trick :)

21. VCC says:

GLiC … BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

22. goonermichael says:

Stand up if you hate GiE’s MIL Boooooooooooooooooo

23. heres an interesting thought!!

how many irish internationals in the aston villa set up??

would it be wise to play henry at all in this fixture, knowing that McLeish will pump his boys up for a physical encounter??

where’s IRISH, maybe she can shed some light on wether there might still be some bad blood in the irish camp??

24. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Well done lads,
    I`m out now but will be back later to see if theirs anymore on , “The Boos at Ten” :)

25. dandan says:

GIE great idea, half of our lot have been on the BOO-ze befor they get there so they should be loaded and ready to go. :-)

26. dandan says:

Re the good wishes for my wife…… It all blew up Monday night with severe chest pains, when she was taken to hospital by ambulance, she has been returned from hospital after many test. Diagnosed with pleurisy and on strong Antibiotics she is making good progress and sends her thanks for your kind thoughts

27. allezkev says:

I recall the Scousers booing our players in a Champions Lge game about 4 years ago, as we attempted to pass them to death.
    It did seem to have a positive effect on the LFC players and a negative effect on our lads.

Errr, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO…..

Hope that does the trick GLiC… ;)

28. goonermichael says:

Good news about your Wife’s progress dandan. All the best.

29. Gooner in Exile says:

Morning all again…

Let the booing commence. Chas is right the booing of the ref at the Everyon game last year created a hell of an atmosphere, and when we got the winner (and AA23 the equaliser) the boos turned to one of the most magnificent “by far the greatest teams” I have heard in the Ems

30. Red Arse says:

Good news, Dandan! :-)

31. good news Dandan, slow and steady wins the race

32. goonermichael says:

goonermichael says:
    January 28, 2012 at 10:58
    kc says:
    January 28, 2012 at 10:40
    olumide
    most fans in naija here not only lov wenger but still adore him though i wish he sud do a gary speed,if u doubt me,go to 2go nd u wil run mad

How do you allow shit like that?

kc says:
    January 28, 2012 at 11:08
    goonermichael

i had a feeling that AKB fans originated in naija,
    most of d useless ones had already started in arsene we trust banner while minority of us are on d plans of making sure he and his crap shit does not return to emirate with our beloved team,enough is enough

I thought I’d read everything. Not sure if I should laugh or not.

33. Red Arse says:

GLIC,

TerryM asked me not to tell you, but I am totally reliable in my infidelity, so I am going to let on and tell you he hasn’t been around here for a while because he has a secret!

If you look in your dungeon, your ma-in-law is not there!
    She is actually off on a date with Lascivious Gooner, aka MerryTerry!! Oo, la la. C’est magnifique! :-)

When you see him don’t pinch his white stick – he will never get home!

ime afraid i cant take your advice GiE. Booing should be reserved for the Brian Blessed types, when i try to do it i sound more like Julian Clarey, thus incuring ammused and disturbed looks from those seated around me.

Kelsey, explaining my comment from yesterday i feel we differ in the direction the club is going. You have stated in your posts that you believe there are serious problems between the board and wenger that could lead to a parting of the ways. You also seem to have a mistrust of Kronke, which ime sure many share. I see it differently. For me Arsene is a man of honour and would not indulge owners he lacked faith in for 2 minutes, in other words he would walk out now if he perceived a no future relationship. As for Kronke, the jury is still out on him, but i sense that his transition to ownership has been smooth and the strategy of the club has remained unchanged.

I also believe we are at the beggining of an era were the foundations set for the last ten years will bear fruit. The current economic climate,FFP,the decline of Chelsea, the eventual curtailing of Citys spending, our youth policy,new commercial deals which will generate millions for the club, rivals like spurs and liverpool looking for new stadiums, fantastic talent yet to reach there peaks (god, ime ranting) and most importantly of all the greatest manager in world football will lead us to glory.

Apologies for the rant, but in 3 years time the four biggest and best clubs in the world will be Barca, Madrid, Utd and Arsenal and out of this small group we will be the best.

Hi dandan,

So sorry to hear about your wife, my best wishes for a swift recovery.

36. Not!

GM,
    that is appalling, the friends and family of the late Gary Speed are still in mourning and do not need reminding of the tragedy in any way..
    i know these dickheads may well be kids, but there is no excuse for that crap..football and some of its fans are stepping way out of line..
    i guess it started with sepp blatter, great example of whats wrong in football nd our world 2day..

is it true that ferdinand recieved a death threat and bullet in a package sent to his training ground?? things are just so upside down sometimes…

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

37. harry says:

DanDan, all the best wishes to your wife………….

GIE, interesting, wasnt sure where the article was heading, i do believe something needs to happen……..

I am there tomorrow in Platinum…!!

Oh GLIC..for your MIL……..Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

38. goonermichael says:

I really hope Ferdinand doesn’t shake terrys hand. People telling them they should need to have thier IQs tested. Let’s kick it out by shaking a racist’s hand. Better idea let’s keep him as England captain! football is run by total wankers.

39. GLiC’s mother-in-law’s answer Moooooo!

40. Gooner in Exile says:

Platinum? Enjoy the caviar and champers…..how fans have changed ;)

41. i dont believe ferdinand will.. wayne bridge didnt, why should ferdinand..bridge can change and find a new missus..ferdinand can do nothing about the way he was born and nor should he, or anyone for that matter..
    sorry to say this, but if terry remains national captain, the whole world will be laughing at england an its fa, and police force..they will look as bad if not worse as LFC with the suarez saga

Redders, that dungeon sounds most appealing, i will have to enhance my telescope hahahaha

43. goonermichael says:

terry should have had the captaincy taken off him as soon as the accusation was made.

44. “Innocent until proven guilty”

45. is Rio still in the England set up?..why would anyone in the team with coloured skin or high morals for that matter, wana fight and defend for him(terry)? surely its got to have a nregative effect on the squad..
    England look dangerous and a decent chance for the euros, but with terry in the team i wouldnt put a cent on them, even if you paid me!!

46. Norfolk,
    everyone saw what his lips said..dont need sound..no one can defend that dickhead

They bottled out. No pre-match handshake between the teams. Though Barton shook Terry’s hand as opposing captain. Similar people I suppose.

Robbin, i cant get worked up over cock face John Terry, in fact i cant get worked up about anything. Ive just had a look at that Slava birds website, link kindly provided by Evvone,and had to take some time out with my telescope hobby to calm myself down.

49. However much we think we know, either by lip-reading or heresay, the most basic tenet of English law must prevail. I repeat “Innocent until proven guilty”

NG,
    Was I right about you confusing Rocky the King (Fabregas the King) and our own RockyLives?

51. terry,
    i thrashed my telescope..its broken to bits.. Slava and her girlfriends should have been around to see it..they would call the whole episode CUCKOO

52. terry,
    95% of people do it…and 5% are lying………………… about their hobby that is ;-)

53. goonermichael says:

“innocent until proven guilty”

Go and tell that to a teacher who is accused of any kind of child abuse. They are suspended until they are found innocent. Why should a player who is accused of racism be allowed to carry on as captain of a team that incldes black players? How long was Dave Jones (forgive me if it’s wrong as I am going from memory) out trying to clear his name?

Why lie Robbin?, star gazing is an excellent past time, very stimulating and rewarding.

55. Jamie says:

GIE – Nice post. I hope the fans do it. The bit about imagining that the opposition are our bench warmers was great.

Dandan – hope it all turns out ok. Those times are the hardest times.

On to the Arsenal- I reckon the team tomorrow will be Fabianski, Yannaris, Miguel, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Coquilan, Rosicky, Benayoun, Ox, Park, Arshavin.

You might see Sagna for a bit.

I don’t beleive le gaffer when he says he is taking it seriously.

56. hey jamie,

why not? hes played near full strength sides for previous cup matches

Thanks TMHT
    Loftus road holds 18ooo and there are hundreds of spare seats.

58. Jamie says:

Because RVP can’t play three games in a week and we need him for the other two. Same worry with Vermealen because he is only just fit.

Arteta’s groin would be a massive risk with one days training. He always plays Fabianski in the Cup if fit. Sagna will get some king of a game.

You might see Song and Walcott if he is in a brave mood. We need six points this week. I just think there are too many players he can’t risk.

59. fair enough, is chamach back in time? does he make the bench, or henry, or RVP..i agree with all the risks and injuries, but i believe hes gunning for the fa cup, the way he did with the cc last season..some big names are out already nd maybe more after 2nite and wenger can smell blood….dont count on Park starting up front by himself, hes still green(raw)

Well said GIE.

I was at the Liverpool game when Adebarndoor got sent off. The booing was brilliant (I was hoarse for about three days) and definitely put the Scouse players off their game.

61. Jamie says:

Robinurpersie – I would love to see us win it. Fingers crossed.

62. allezkev says:

Question for you guys [ & gals ]

Given a choice, what would you prefer..?

3rd/4th in the EPL, or,

Winning the FA Cup..?

63. harry says:

Well GIE, I aint changed, gift horse etc……

I understand your thinking Jamie, think he’ll have a strong team out and stronger bench……Its not about the boss taking it serriously as he will tell you he takes every game seriously and 100% believe the team he picks should win……….

What I’d like to see………….

Szczesny

Nico Kozzer Miquel Vermaelen

Song Rosicky

Arshavin Ox Ryo

Walcott

Bench
    RVP, Arteta, Sagna, Ramsey, Benayoun, fabianski, BFG……

64. pat says:

In the end a big let down “cancelling” the handshake – why cant we just have people man up and face each other?

65. harry says:

oops, swap, Sagna for Henry

66. harry says:

Pat, the handshake is a farce anyway, imho.

67. pat says:

At what point can you get a red card – is it only once the whistle is blown to start the game or is it as soon as you walk on the field? Would have liked to see Ferdinand punch Terry in the face…

68. pat,
    i disagree, why doesnt terry man up and admit he did wrong..2 go along with a hand shake would be to sweep it all under the rug..this is too big now..criminal matter as they say

69. harry,
    wheres le coq in ur line-up..hes back fully fit

70. pat says:

true harry – maybe noone in the QPR wanted to shake his hand – dont think anyone in the Chelsea team wants much to do with him either – such a POS…

71. go the DIPPERS..start engraving the sacred name of ARSENAL on the FA CUP.. woot woot

72. pat says:

fair call robin – no shouldnt be swept under the rug but why has it dragged on for so long? Any way sorry – who cares about that dickhead – back on to the Arsenal… good to hear le coq is back in the squad – where do we put him?

73. if song plays and sagna is short, le coq is the closest thing to a ful back that we have and hes got speed to burn..if song needs a rest i say giv him a run in MF to develop into the flamini sort of player that he’l no doubt become…..on the field that is :-) i dont like the match up of gabby nd djourou

74. oz gunner says:

@ GiE

good idea, but if we boo the opposition what do we do when terry, ade, nasri, evra, and clichy touch the ball? Suppose the whole crowd could shout out “CANT”, any fan saying the proper word will be put into peaches pocket for moderation!

won’t be able to go to the BDO unfortunently as i’ll be in Bali for two weeks. I would like to have seen Kasabian and cage the elephant,

@ GLIC

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    I trust you to take care of micky if needed!

@ RuVP

i agree, i’d like to see coq play at DM just so song can worry about his position a little in hope that he will pull his finger out.

Why would you want to shake Terry’s hand. It’s always made to be such a big deal. I wouldn’t shake hands with a whole host of players if i was player. Starting with the whole of man united, chelsea, the scum, liverpool, karl henry, man city (except dzeko in an attempt to lure him to our team, ect ect).

75. Red Arse says:

Is £18m Downing the most over-rated player in the EPL?

76. goonermichael says:

Do they have replays this round? That wouldn’t be a bad result those two having to play again

77. Red Arse says:

Pool 2, YooNited 1

78. evonne says:

Pool stuffed United, brilliant :)

79. goonermichael says:

ya boo you silly billy mancs

80. kennys’ gonna make ferguson hate football!!

@RA,
    i think 23mil david de gea is worse..they should buy almunia from us

81. oz,

lol, id shake silvas’ hand……….in an attempt to lure him to the emirates…and maybe buy balotelli a bag of fireworks..

82. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Thanks for the Boooooos. :)
    Redders,
    Thanks to you, my Dungeon now has no Dragon ! but on the plus side it helped Terry put in a Magnificent rant ! :)
    Walking the dog this morning I came across a lovely boomerang shaped piece of wood, I`d always wondered how they worked, then It hit me !

83. Gooner in Exile says:

The handshake thing is a PL and CL thing, can’t remember if it’s an FACup & CarlinCup thing too?

Wish we just went back to the centre circle wave. I know we did it for Everton game have we done it since?

84. Red Arse says:

GLIC,

As an expert boomeranger, I’m sure you will have some sympathy with poor old TerryM’s boomerang shaped telescope. Keeps poking himself in the eye when he gets excited! :-(

85. Red Arse says:

GLIC,

Just came back to re-read your comment about the stick, and then it hit me too. :-) Nice one! :-)

86. goonermichael says:

Crawley are beating Hull.

87. Red Arse says:

Don’t forget all you NY Giants fans, the Super Bowl is tomorrow at Indianapolis!

Oh, oh, that’ll be me then!! :-)

88. Troll Loon On A Screwing ( glic ) says:

Seeing as I wont be around for the blog tomorrow, I shall put my own take on what I think the team shall be .

Anal Footballers Club (Arsenal) Vs Bill fools local anal butt (Aston Villa) FA Cup.
    We Earn Greens (AW) and his assistant Crap Tie (PR) have injuries to many players.
    Injuries will keep out : No Ninja Clerks (CJ25), No Satan Reds (AS11),Big Bear Skin (KG28) and He Wrecks Jail (JW19), not sure about, Bags A Canary (BS3) , Our John A Judo (JD20) and I Talk Meerkat (MA8). Freeman Poling Mum (EF26) is on loan and Veg Rhino(G27) and A Humane Oak Charm ( MC) are in Africa.

The Team :
    Blunder News Room(WS13, You try and get an anagram of his name)

Inches In Rosy Anal (NY)
    Racketeer Sperm (PM4)
    Kaiser Lonely Nut (LK6)
    Love Them Arse Man (TV5)

Anglo Sex (AS17)
    Fans Quoin Circle (FC39)
    Easy Man Roar (AR16)

A Bleached Oral Minx (AOC15)
    Penis Over Brain (RVP10)
    The Total Cow (TW14)

Subs : Genius, Mail IQ (Miquel), Stay Sickroom (TR7),A Orgy Junk Up (JYP9), Hurry Yeti Returns ( TH statue 12), I Nosey Boy Anus (YB30), Danish Rear Navy (AA23), Um Um Alien Anal (MA1) and IQ ? It Slices Bale Anus (SS18).

On a more serious note, our two main shareholders good or bad ?.
    The good , Alisher Usmanov : His Arsenal Ovum(egg), does he want to nurture and grows us into a dominant force ?, also Anus Rim Has Love ?.
    The Bad, Stan Kroenke : Trek On Snake.
    Alisher Usmanov :Removal His Anus, So Harm Evil Anus,…. Best for last ? , A Manholes Virus ! :)

89. Red Arse says:

When I said tomorrow – you know I meant ‘next’ Sunday …. obviously!!

It’s the Arsenal tomorrow —– sheesh what a pillock!! :-)

90. goonermichael says:

You’ve got to much spare time glic. Very funny and clever though.

91. goonermichael says:

Crawley knocked out Hull. Sanchez Watt played 90 mins for Crawley. Mannone was in goal for Hull.

92. goonermichael says:

I’m off to Rules for my anniversary dinner. See you all later

93. gooner lost in cornwall says:

gm , apart from writing on the cave wall , not much else to do ! :)

94. Gooner in Exile says:

GliC I have a feeling meeting you tomorrow will be an interesting time.

95. gooner lost in cornwall says:

GiE,
    As I said yesterday, shy polite person will be at the tavern, glic will still be in the cave somewhere ! :)

96. Red Arse says:

GLIC,

Just read your team names. Do you know, everyone seems normal, even you and MerryTerry, until you get to know them!! :-)

97. harry says:

RuVP if Le Coq is fit, defo instead of Song, but I thought he was a little short for this game, woudl be chuffed if he plays, he is excellent…..

Who is meeting in the tavern? Where’s the widget Rapser?

98. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Redders,
    Where Is Terryannasaurus Sex ( or is it Terrydactyl ), has he become extinct ?. I`m supposed to be meeting him at the Tavern !

Harry,
    The list is:
    Award-winning bull breeder and son,
    Terry the transplant,
    Peaches
    You
    Me
    Rapser
    and Skinny Legs.

possibly 26, Carlito and Queen Cuckoo.

100. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Happy Anniversary gm !

101. gooner lost in cornwall says:

chas,
    The only looking normal one`s on that list are, You and Me, and I`m not Me and your not You, so If I`m not Me and your not You, who the f**k are we ? :shock:

102. harry says:

Nice one Chas, looking forward to tomorrow………Hope to be in the Tavern by 1445hrs……..for just a quick one….

103. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Nothing happening here, so I sneaked on LG for a look, they had a Podcast ( whatever that Is ) interview with a chap called Alex Fynn who has co written a book about Arsenal. quite a long listen , but very interesting, whether you believe or agree with any of It, is down to you ,but I recomend listening to It.

104. Red Arse says:

GLIC,

Give us a quick resume of what he is saying. Make it good or he will miss out on my patronage!! :-)

I was just thinking of giving it a listen. The title of the book sounds a bit like the ‘I support Arsenal FC not Arsene FC’ line with the grave accent on the ‘e’. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm…

106. gunnern5 says:

The Book is titled –

Arsenal
    The making of a modern superclub.

By Alex Fynn and Kevin Whitcher

ISBN 978-1-90532-620-4

It’s a good read..

107. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Bloody hell Redders It was over an hour long (seemed like it, anyway ).
    He was talking from George Graham to Present.
    Some Points.
    Arsene has lost both his parents in successive recent years.
    He`s family would like to go back to France.
    DD brought in DB10 and Ian Wright , not Rioch.
    DD wanted Wenger before Rioch, but Hillwood put a stop to It.
    DD says we should Speculate to Accumalate.
    We should Pay top money for Top Players (wages) and not have the likes of Nikki on £52K a week.

Some of this stuff you might already have known. Anyway It was a long listen, If you`ve got the time have a listen .

108. Gooner in Exile says:

Thought Wright was signed under Graham?

I think glic meant Platt not Wright.

gn5, have you the read the revised version with the five new chapters?

As glic says, the podcast is well worth a listen regardless of whether you agree with it or not.

I’d imagine that if a different blog had interviewed Alex Fynn a different picture might have emerged.

With regard to substitutions, the point is made that last Sunday was an accident waiting to happen because of the way substitutes are planned by AW and Boro Primorac before the game. Almost as if they are planned beforehand with a number of options depending on various match scenarios. The implication being that The Ox was always going to be replaced around the 65 to 70 minute mark because he would be blowing after 60 in his first full game in the prem (this would be regardless of how he was performing during the game).

Apparently Boro Primorac sits up in the stands and communicates how the game is going to Wenger at half time.

112. oz gunner says:

absolutely RA. I thought downing was overrated a few seasons back when boro off-loaded him. Nothing has changed.
    Then again there’s andy carrol who was double the price so i think they are about even.

113. oz gunner says:

oh and Jordan Henderson, wow Liverpool sure can pick them

114. oz gunner says:

G5 if you are floating around could i grab a copy of your spreadsheet? i’d like to check it out

115. oz gunner says:

I see they’ve released a new movie based on the life of TMHT

116. TotalArsenal says:

GiE, thanks for a clever and well-written post. Totally agree with you!

OZ – Peeping Tom hahaha :) I think our Terry is a pussycat compared to him :)

117. gooner lost in cornwall says:

GiE,
    Sorry for mistake, It was a long interview and RA asked for some points, but Ian Wright ,according to interview was a Dein signing ( not GG`s).
    As chas said, well worth listening to.

118. slimgingergooner says:

Read the book a while ago and well worth a read for any Arsenal fan. Wish a lot more of our fans would read it, maybe then they would realise that the running of a club is a lot more complicated than just pointing at a player and saying ‘I want that one’!

119. Gooner in Exile says:

Remember when everyone was saying how good it was United had done their transfer window business early…De Gea for £20+m seems a bit rushed now. His positioning for Liverpools second was something I would expect to see from a ten year old.

He is clearly a goal line keeper and that works in Spain where defences tend to sit deeper, and to a certain extent Italian football as well.

120. Gooner in Exile says:

Interesting GliC.

I’m sure Dein took a lot of pressure off Wenger but to be fair to the current incumbents of contract negotiations he walked from the club when his hands were going to be tied by the financial pressures of the stadium and he wouldn’t have been able to deliver the top players as he had done in the past.

121. I’ll be at the Tavern at about 2:30

122. oz gunner says:

de gea positioning vs Liverpool.

I think united did their business well in terms of getting it sorted straight away so they can get some chemistry before the season gets under way. However, whether or not they were wise investments was another thing. Jones will be good but is a touch error prone early on, and de gea is very overrated. He has had a few good games but he is by no means worth the price tag. I said it at the start of the season VDS is a massive lose because he was so consistent and reliable. Now they are susceptible. I rate our squad better then ours

Good morning all,

as I won’t be around today or tomorrow I hope those of you going get a performane from the lads, something we have wished for on a number of occasions in the last few games.

I have a feeling of trapadation about this game and listening to various quotes from AW he appears to want CL qualification first and foremost yet obviously states that an FA Cup win would be nice and he thinks that would pacify the supporters.
    TV rules all, but in the last round the games were spread over 4 days and this round is over 3 days, which to me is getting away from the original concept.
    Only 8 or 9 PL teams will go through to the last 16 and on our day and with the luck of the draw we could have a great chance to lift the trophy, but the team is not playing well to dictate a game over 90 minutes, and when you see how few goals we have scored at home and the reliance of RVP and the next best goal scorer has only scored 4 in all competions I feel again we maybe looking for a huge turn round in fluidity,passing, effort, commitment and goals but I am not to sure.

With regards to the above comment re David Dein, he took immense pressure off AW but even if he was still there we can’t compete on transfer fees with may clubs not because we don’t have the money but we are carrying too many players on high wages. We will never pay 20 let alone 30 million for a player but what gets me most are the various contradictory quotes from the manager thee past two seasons and the buffon PHW making things worse.
    I doubt the fair play rule will work, and there is a heavy reliance on the club that it will and we may get back to a somewhat level playing field. We will see.

TMHT i am no guro but there has been a stand off with AW and the Bod and there have been rebelious players who now no longer feature at the club, yet many are still out on loan.
    I support the club, but my expectations have never been so low, and even if we have a resounding victory today will the team carry that on at Bolton. recent form says no.
    I believe confidence with some players is at a low time low and the odd cameo role does not improve these playes whilst some of the talented younger players like Wilshere(before he got injured) and Ramsey are having to play too much
    Our squad depth is pretty weak and again I use the word motivation, is just not there. Why i ask myself.
    I don’t wish to be negative just realistic in the present situation we find ourselves in.
    A magic wand and the gamble FPP rules will make this a much longer drawn out period than many expect..

124. Jailhouse Legs Malone says:

Kelsey Morning,
    Have you gone yet?
    Your excellent early morning comments spark zero confrontation with me as I always agree with everything you say.
    If I wanted to add anything to that it would be about your expectations never being lower. Ummmm, yes and no. You remember the early eighties when I really don’t remember expecting anything t all. So while my expectations are on a par with that period in terms of winning trophies, my gripe would be that at least under AW we have come to expect great football to watch. Right now, that aspect is an only just.

125. Jailhouse Legs Malone says:

Have any of the top six signed anyone during this window?

126. Jailhouse Legs Malone says:

Off to to the village to buy things.

127. jailhouse,

can you pick us up a creative midfielder wen you get there please..il fix up wen you get back..thnks ;-)

128. evonne says:

another thing well worth listening to is an interview with Joey Barton about ‘social awareness’, I had to laugh :)

129. slimgingergooner says:

The level of transfer activity this window has been very low, not just in the top 6, but throughout the leagues. It’s not as if clubs don’t need players either. United need a midfielder, but opted for the cheaper option of Scholes, we did the same with Henry when in desperate need of a striker. Liverpool badly need a forward, Chelsea need a finisher and Spurs need anyone that AW or SAF show an interest in!

I know it’s January, and top players are difficult to come by, but maybe we are really starting to see the effects of the Financial ‘Crisis’ that is going on throughout the world.

With FFP rules due to take effect, surely there aren’t many more opportunities for clubs to go out and splash the cash freely. The fact they haven’t speaks volumes in the way that certain clubs are being run on a deficit in this climate.

The FFP may not be the saviour that we hoped, but add it to the current financial mess that some clubs find themselves in, and it could be the very thing needed to get Arsenal back in the race.

Still here ;)

my expectations about never being lower, should be expanded.I am comparing to the situation where we were prior to the takeover of majority shares by kroenke.
    As i have said on numerous occasions I sat freezing my cobblers off in the early to late sixties when we had a very poor attendence and the club were middle to lower placing in the league.
    In just less than a year ago when we were fighting for 4 trophies the collapse began. Others will agree with me that some of the experienced players were allowed to leave IMO a season or two earlier than they should have but going back to last February we had a non motivated captain, nasri who though turned out to be a mercenary played a major part that half seson and the two seasons before on their way out. Our total net spend in the Summer was 4 million and project youth had been implemented to a higher degree than was possible to achieve a trophy or trophies.
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but if fiszmann hadn’t passed away maybe things would have been different. PHW had said to kroenke eighteen months before he bought the shares,”we don’t want your kind here”. Fiszman had said at one of the draws for the CL that if AW wanted 100 million it was there.
    So what is really going on ? If, and i hope not we don’t achieve CL qualification it will have ramifications at the club.
    Great or good players want others of the same stature to be part of their team.it doesn’t need hefty spending but over say the last 4 years it could have been achievable .
    3 first teamers are up for renewal on contracts in the next year and though they are expected to give their all will they be motivated without some cash injection on players.
    i get the feeling that blindly many fans shout numerous names via the gossip and rumour columns and though I take little notice of that, the fans i believe want to see a side that has a few star players,heroes who are proud to wear the shirt, who perform week in and eek out, more than anything.

At the end of the day it is not about a transition period it is about the Bod setting out a policy so we don’t go to the dogs or/and AW has full control and whatever he does will be sanctioned.A middle ground should be stablishd.
    7 years is a long time without a trophy and though we have no given right to one I honestly think that there is too much conflict within the club and the players are fully aware of that.
    That we should lose all 4 full backs in one swoop couldn’t have been accounted for and most probably Jack is the biggest miss,but the attacking options seems to have dried up and as results have shown every week in the PL the margin between top and bottom is often paper thin.

131. Jailhouse Legs Malone says:

rURp,
    Easy peasy lemon squeazy.
    The only person presently at the club who has the potential/ability to play the AM in a three man midfield is The Ox.

132. Gooner in Exile says:

Kelsey whilst it’s difficult to disagree with most of that there is unfortunately a rarity in there.

Star signings who are proud to wear the shirt. In reality that’s difficult in the modern game. Star players move for money and the best chance of a trophy.

The ones who are proud to wear the shirt will arrive younger or from our own youth team. Or I guess come from a lower club.

Jenkinson is proud to wear the shirt, how couldn’t he be. Wilshere, Frimpong, Yennaris clearly are. Then Arteta.

133. Jailhouse Legs Malone says:

Kelsey,
    Still here?
    The most important element of the club right now from a financial point of view is Corporate sales. Although only a few thousand, they account for something ludicrous in terms of % match day revenue.
    So, what we are up against is only the London teams, and apart from the trophy issue, its about the entertainement. Something I touched on earlier. This is what puts expensive bums on expensive seats and a large part of that is the big names (ie the only ones’ the corporate mob will have heard of!).
    Like it or not, we are in the entertainement business as far as aabout 30% of our revenue is concerned.

134. Gooner in Exile says:

Micky Cahill to Chelsea is the only one I can think of.

There was a big meeting on FFP recently with a lot of journos being explained the ramifications etc. the UEFA bods said that they would look weak of they did nothing with regard to FFP rule breakers. But further explained it is about wages not player transfers. They aim to reduce wage demands across the leagues as they say that too many clubs are losing money as a result of high wages and that this subsequently will destroy the game.

Also going back to our ticket prices discussion yesterday I spoke to a Dipper last night and he said that Liverpool cheapest seats are £35 but the top price ticket is £50. Also said in a review of the cheapest football club days out Liverpool were the most expensive.

135. Gooner in Exile says:

Good point re Corporates Micky. How important is CL football to that? I guess Milan will have sold out in a corporate sense. But Blackburn home is a trickier sell

136. oz gunner says:

the biggest moves have been toon bringing in cisse, and chelsea purchasing cahill. You are bang on the money slim

137. oz gunner says:

honda reportedly going to lazio for 14 million. A lot less than the advertised 25million last transfer window. Goes to show how much a players value drops when they are not hyped up constantly by the media. Reminds me of arshavin, if we had of got him straight after the euros we would of had to fork out 25million plus

hahahahhahahahaha

139. chas,

crying song alright! had me in tears….after i fell off my chair…
    keep em coming mate..

140. Jailhouse Legs Malone says:

Chas,
    Are we allowed to say who that is?
    Where did you find it?
    Brilliant. Love that bloke :-)

I don’t know, Micky.
    I put his blog name into youtube search.

142. Jailhouse Legs Malone says:

Thanks all to answers about transfers.
    GiE,
    How important? Vital, me thinks.

143. Jailhouse Legs Malone says:

Chas,
    My son just overheard the vid and came rushing through. “That’s your mate ….. ” he said.
    My daughter “Is he famous?”
    Me: “Oh very”
    Such a celebrity tart me.

I can’t believe the number of famous people I’ve met through AA.
    Famous hairdressers, famous garden designers, famous gourmands, famous Polish women, famous musicians and hundreds of famous accountants. :)

I’m waiting with bated breath to find out who glic and transplant are!

145. New Post ………………..