Simply the Best: Georgie Boy and Watson. Two Authentic Heroes. MU Pre-Match

For today’s introduction we are going back into the mists of time, when men were men and not floppy overcooked strings of spaghetti like Busquets, Nani and Pepe.

England were World Champions and Man Utd had recently won the European Cup. For the younger reader who has grown up in the Sky era, there can be no understanding of the excitement and national pride that both events stirred. Unlike today, all English football fans wanted MU to beat a brilliant Benfica team at Wembley, the scene of our only WC triumph just 2 years before. The following year (Sept ’69) when MU came to Highbury the side had already changed following the retirement of Sir Matt Busby, with younger blood joining Bobby Charlton etc.

At that time George Best was 23 years old, he had already played 300 games for MU and was the most famous footballer in the World. Moore, Charlton and Stiles may have been the faces of England’s WC victory but George was The Man. At a time when football was confined to newspaper  back pages, Best was front page headline news, top 10 songs were written about him, kids aped his clothes, copied his hair style, he was a friend of the Beatles, always had a super-model on his arm etc etc. But above all, he was a complete footballer, he was coming to Highbury and so was I.

A 60,000 crowd  in the same Highbury that was limited to under 40k a few years later. The North Bank was packed and swaying. An old man reminiscing is interminably dull so I will cut this short· Mclintock heads out a high ball to the edge of the area, Best leaps off the ground and sends a scissor kick volley flying past Bob Wilson. At first, there was stunned silence around Highbury followed by huge applause, we had witnessed a genius displaying his genius – what can be better on a football pitch? We drew 2-2 and I recall Stroller Graham scoring one for us.

George Best is the best player I have ever seen play live and I have seen Maradona, Cruyff, Van Basten, Gullit, TH, DB  (4 Dutchmen TA :-) ) etc etc  No-one could lift a crowd in the way he did, and he was a brilliant bloke to boot.

A young Best at what looks like Highbury (West Stand?)

Manchester United have always been a glamour club and their arrival at the Emirates guarantees tension and excitement, this fixture remains a highlight of  any season. Sadly, Ferguson’s MU are a pale shadow of the entertaining sides of their past; the cheating, spitting, vituperative Rooney being the emblem of their play. Yes, they thrashed a reserve AFC earlier in the season (a total freak result ), and today we could have problems due to our injury nightmare but the belief remains that a full strength Arsenal would beat this MU team with some ease.

However, we do NOT have a full strength team and are unlikely to see one for some time. Have we enough to win today? Certainly, if the players give their all and work as a team. There are fears about how our “FB’s” will cope with MU’s strength on the flanks;  the midfielders must concentrate and assist them.

My Team:

It would be brave to start with Oxlade-Chamberlain – his last outing at OT was hardly a success!

Famous Gooner: Today is all about courage, the ability to step forward when all you want to do is go home and play with the wife. One Gooner who has lived a life requiring a level of courage few of us can imagine is Michael Watson.

Having beaten Nigel Benn, Watson fought and lost to Chris Eubank for the WBO Middleweight title (1991, what great times for fans of British boxing), receiving a life-threatening injury which resulted in 6 brain operations and 40 days in a coma.  To go from being at the top of his profession with a healthy, immensely strong body to being  totally immobile must have been devastating. There followed a year in hospital during which time he couldn’t move, hear or speak, Watson spent the next 6 years in a wheelchair.  But Michael didn’t give up, he fought is disabilities and in 2003 even managed to complete the London Marathon (over the course of 6 days), being welcomed over the finish line by Eubanks and his neurosurgeon.

Not long out of hospital (1992) Michael was invited onto the hallowed grass at his beloved Highbury and at half-time was pushed in his wheel-chair to all sides of the ground – it was a highly emotional moment both for him and the fans who rose to greet him. I was there that day and am not ashamed to say shed a tear for an incredibly brave man and a true Gooner. In 2004, Watson was awarded an MBE for his charity work for Brain and Spinal Research.

Watson, wearing the Red & White he always wore in the Ring

Watson doesn’t find excuses when the odds are stacked against him. Can today’s Arsenal team win?  Ask Michael.

COYRRG

Written by Big Raddy

319 Responses to Simply the Best: Georgie Boy and Watson. Two Authentic Heroes. MU Pre-Match

Superb, BR.

Looks like the TV gantry on the West Stand to me.

Peaches,
    It looks like we’re planning to get to the Tavern for Citeh v Spuds kick off. See you later (if you decide to schlepp over that way, that is) :)

2. VCC says:

Would love to be in Peaches pocket at the Tavern this afternoon, but have to work night shift, aghaghagahagha.

Give em a shout for me guys n girls.

chas. Another gem of a vid.

4. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Great prematch BR,
    I dont feel anxious today, as I feel we are very much the underdog`s and dont expect much . They are the Masters at being able to grind out a result or a Trophy even when their not the best team, all down to their Manager, the way he disciplines them to keep shape and formation ( eg, would he put up with Song`s wandering`s ?).
    I was at the 4-0 win in `71, and the thing that will stand out in my mind forever is Bob Wilson diving at the feet of George Best !.
    Something differant, when was the last time the spuds wanted us to win a game ?

Brilliant Raddy,
    I could not agree more about the style that Utd used to embody. None more so than Best. What a truly ghastly, spoilt, whinging bunch of yobs they have become.

6. pat says:

I liked your great story about Michael Watson, and about the power of self belief and courage.

Big game – perfect chance to turn the fortunes around fingers crossed Vermaelen can make the game. Time for Walcott and Arshavin both to have a big game!

7. pat says:

@MickyDidIt89 – thats why beating them will feel so good!

8. evonne says:

Raddy – splendid post, thank you very much

I loved Georgie too, what a character, on and off the pitch. I didn’t see him play live, let alone at Highbury. You are a lucky man.

Same goes for Michael Watson – you are lucky to witness his trip to Highbury. I hope our lads are capable of similar bravery today.
    I simply could not live through another disaster.

Morning Evonne,
    I think the biggest disaster would be injuries to key players. As far as the result is concerned, then the way I see things is that we are in a straight fight for fourth with Chelsea, therefore even a draw keeps us in the race.

10. pat says:

Just read arseblog – looks like Vermaelen is in – fantastic. I would rather have him in the middle but I’ll still take it.

Blimey,
    Its the lull before the storm here. Everyone going through their pre-match rituals.
    I hate Sunday afternooners, as its nigh on impossible to go. Ooo to be at the Tavern :-(

12. Gooner In Exile says:

Thank you Raddy, in one pre match you have summed up how football has changed, worshipped at the altar that is George Best and reminded me of one of my top ten “I was there moments”.

Watson has always had a special place in my heart, that wheelchair assisted lap of the ground was a special moment for all in the ground, and I’m sure for Michael himself.

Like others I am not in an upbeat mood, its going to be a tricky day for our defenders and United will surely overload and force AA23 and Theo back to defend using their fullbacks to full effect.

Today though will be about the midfield battle, if we can get good ball in the centre of the park, we have the ability to pick a runner and we have RvP up front.

COYRRG

Pat,
    Great news. What time is it with you?

Great PM Raddy. I remember the days when we used to applaud a brilliant goal by the opposition. The most recent time I can remember it happening was when the Pompey fans applauded Henry.

I really hate the unreal silence that engulfs the ground when we concede with the distant cheering of the away fans sounding like its coming from a radio somewhere. Within no time an Arsenal chant drowns them out, but for a while its like time is standing still.

Today’s game will be won or lost in the midfield. By the sound of it, SAF plans to try to keep RvP quiet so that gives a chance to our midfielders to get into the box and start adding to the goal tally. If our mids run their hearts out as they should, then one or two will need to be subbed around the 70 minute mark, I hope we have the personnel on the bench to allow that to happen.

GiE,
    Utd will try and snuff out Robin for sure.

Rasp,
    Relying on our quality from the bench? Now that’s optimism!

Morning Micky, I will eat LB’s sofa if TV starts as a DM, but it would be a bold statement by the manager and one I’d love to see – Fortress Emirates hasn’t been built yet.

No Micky, its delusion I’m afraid. I don’t expect a high scoring game, but I do expect the last 20 minutes to be the telling time.

Tell you all what. I don’t normally suffer from pre-match nerves, but frankly, I’m shitting bricks here. Wandering around the house like a lost thing. Nearly bought two things on ebay I don’t want. Its that bad!

20. An evocative post there Radders and one to put rivalries into context.
    Just a brief visit to confirm I will be in Peachy’s pocket, quivering a tad, and hoping for the best.

Come on the (Proper) reds !

Rasp,
    Hope we’re in the game with 20 to go. If we don’t come out of the blocks a whole lot faster than we normally do, we’ll be two down in the first 20!
    I expect to see them sweating as they emerge from the dressing room, not one handshake or friendly smile to the opposition, and preferably some pre-match verbals at the very least.

22. pat says:

Hey Micky – its 1235am – I better turn in – 5am kick off NZT!

23. pat says:

Night (Morning) guys I thought I was being too optomistic when I was thinking about a 4-1 victory to the Arsenal. I have now revised it to 3-1 :-)

24. gunnern5 says:

Today is not just about how well the team will do but also how well they will be supported.
    The most important man today may well be the 12th man, lets hope that all 60,000 find their voices.

I will have a damn good idea about the outcome the moment the players appear. If its all lovey dovey, we’re fucked. If its all Adams Vieira style “what are you looking at?” we’re in with a shout.

I agree Mickly, but I don’t think we have those kind of characters in the team.

We don’t have a midfield enforcer or a beast in the defence. I mentioned the body language when we take to the pitch earlier in the week. I much prefer the zombie-like fixed stare to the relaxed saunter! Someone in our management team needs to get the players fired up for this one – the 8:2 and the fact that we’re at home should do it.

27. gunnern5 says:

BR,

As always a fine pre match.

Our EPL home record against Man U has not been that bad–

GF28, GA24, W8, D6, L5, Pts30 = 52.6%.

The odds are with us so it all depends on the gods…………….

28. WAYNE ROONEY HAIR TRANSPLANT says:

Behind the sofa quivering gooners, how many will you score ?. As many as the hairs left on my arse and bollocks since the Op` !.

Cheers for the post Raddy. Ime a bit to young to remember Best. My memories of him is when he played for Fulham with Rodney Marsh. Can recall a couple of games of “The Big Match”, were Brian Moore had a blinder. He must have cum several times at the skills of the Best & Marsh show.

Respect to Michael Watson, true gooner.

We will bounce back today, and it will be the beggining of another unbeaten run. I sometimes feel we under estimate the charachter of this team. 3-1 to The Arsenal.

30. gunnern5 says:

BR, I has not heard the Watson story before so I looked on line and here are a few more bits of info….

……………………………………………………………………………………….

Watson sued the British Boxing Board of Control (BBBoC) for negligence and won damages reputedly of around £1 million.The High Court ruled that the BBBoC was responsible for medical provision at a fight and that administering oxygen and resuscitation on site would have made a considerable difference to Watson’s outcome. Mr Justice Kennedy said that the board was “in breach of its duty to Mr Watson”. This decision was upheld at the Court of Appeal, and the BBBoC did not appeal to the House of Lords, selling their London headquarters to pay out a £400,000 compensation settlement. The judge said that this was “sadly a long way short of the damages that [Watson] would have received had the defendants had the money or had they been insured”.

On 4 February 2004, Watson was awarded the MBE by H.M. Queen Elizabeth II. She told him that she had heard of his achievements. Watson was overjoyed and noted that this was his family’s first visit to Buckingham Palace, although they had passed in front of the alace many times before.

hahaha Cornwall, got my Villa ticket, so will meet up with you and your boy for a pre match beer if you want.

32. WAYNE ROONEY HAIR TRANSPLANT says:

Mr Mancini,
    How did your Op go ?. Waynetta said the best bit for her is licking my spam buttocks !

33. WAYNE ROONEY HAIR TRANSPLANT says:

OK Terry, See what time the inner circle of AA is getting to the tavern at the end of the weeek, will look forward to it .

34. WAYNE ROONEY HAIR TRANSPLANT says:

oops, waynetta`s tonge was a bit cold when I spelt week ! :)

hahahaha

Arsenal have won none of their last 10 Premier League games with Mike Dean as the referee – I hope that stat has been pointed out to said Mr Dean so that any latent anti Arsenal bias will be expunged!

37. fatgingergooner says:

Wow,

This is what Sundays were invented for!

Like others, I have set low expectations. However, we should not be fearing this United side. They have a lot of players past there peak or underperforming.

We owe these fellas a hammering. If that doesn’t motivate us then the players should leave now!

Starting with Djourou makes no sense to me. Kozzer offers much more from RB than JD and TV is better at centre half than LB. I like the look of Miquel. He doesnt panic, unlike JD, and I would rather see him in the side.

I would love Arteta to start because he offers more discipline than Rosicky. United will look to counter and Arteta has been utterly brilliant this season at breaking up opposition attacks before they get to the edge of our box. Something that we never used to do, which always ended up free kicks, penalties and chances in and around our box.

Up front is the worry for me, strangely. The wide players must perform today or RvP could be isolated. Evra has been very poor defensively this season. Hopefully Theo can produce in the big game again and attack the Frenchman. On the other side, if Jones plays RB then he can be a bit rash with his tackling. Hopefully AA can get him sent off!

Good luck today Gooners. It’s gunna be a tense one!

38. Royal Arsenal says:

One would also like to meet one`s common subject`s at the Tavern.One`s second in line is a Villan, whereas One`s third in line ia a gooner like One.
    William shall be up the clock end with his Father Charles ( First in line and One`s son) and Harry will be up the North Bank with his Father !, Har Har Har.

39. evonne says:

Micky – I disagree, I think it is the other way round – lovey dovey we win, Mancs thrieve in tension and anger fueled matches.

I actually wrote to AW several years ago, when the Vieira – Keane hatred was at its best. I adviced Le Boss to calm the northern feckers in the tunnel, and finish them off on the pitch. I am not sure if he read my letter, but next game with ManU our players were all smiles in the tunnel and we won the game

Dagleish was totally out of order slamming his players in public yesterday but anything less than 100% from any of our players today and they should be banished to the reserves.

This is a showpiece game even being televised on Fox, and for some of our players a good performance MAY mean putting themselves in the shop window .if we lose, top 4 is gone, it’s as simple as that.
    I would like the Ox to play and though Henry is fit I cringed at Swansea watching his cameo, I would rather remember him as a great, and only hope he can gee the players on from before the game and lessons have been learnt from the last two defeats which in each case we were leading.

Raddy I love your posts and saw Best many times. how many players could have a shag at half time and then produce a winner and be at it again that same night. ;) what do these dietians and fitness coaches know.

I would start with the OX and Walcott.

41. Royal Arsenal says:

e va va vonne,
    Of course he would have listened to you, are you not Royalty of the Cuckoo Club ? You are One, like I am One too ! . Ahh , the old One Two , Pass and Move, I think One shall take training !

42. VCC says:

according to Sky Sports. = Arteta out and Vermaelen doubtful.

43. Hi guys

Please would one of those watching on tv volunteer the match report ……. pretty please ;)

44. Gooner In Exile says:

Watching MotD last night I was struck by Fulham playing three centre forwards in their advanced three. Zamora, Dempsey and Johnson played a lot narrower than our three attackers do which resulted in them not being isolated. Maybe Theo and AA23/Gerv should start more central in future. Preventing RvP from being isolated and also allowing him to find space wider whereas presently I fear he stays as central as possible because other options are dragged so wide.

Altho without regular wingbacks I accept this has disadvantages.

45. Gooner In Exile says:

I’m going to say no as I had to write up the 8-2 :(

46. Gus says:

Here on AA we talk allot about having anthem for Arsenal. Well across the other side of the world I need your helpto support the cause of some like minded people, In a world that has become so artificial, so corporate, that even the great old traditions of sport and particularly football are contrived and manufactured, something special has happened. A footy song has emerged from the fans of the GWS Giants AFL team in Australia. It has formed totally organically, not from some external source, or out of work muso, but from real fans!! Its a blissful return to the old days when players were your mate and all the terrace chants and great songs were coined

Recent songs have been so awful. This song has something of the timeless quality inherent in the great songs. The great songs are not just ‘marketing tools’ they are something deeply intwined in the culture of the club. They are songs the fans become nostalgic about, well up with pride, and keep them coming back week in week out.

This song is he song of the loyal old lady who’s stuck with her club all her life and sings it with tears streaking down the face at the final siren of a long awaited grand final; its the song of a new father who proudly embraces his newborn baby and sings it softly in his ear.

So AAers, please help support this cause for Giants fans in western Sydney. watch the clip, like it etc.. AFL is a different sport by the way, probably should have mentioned that hahaha.

47. Gus says:

sorry about the rant, not even arsenal related. Ok I pledge to focus on arsenal tonight. I’m dreaming of a Oxlade-chamberlain winner for some reason. or a van persie hatrick.

48. Gooner In Exile says:

Word on Twitter is Ox starts.

This from Josh McEchran

“Good luck @Alex_OxChambo!! #ripituplad”

Now this is before any team news so we can only assume the two are mates and Josh has had a text from his mate Ox. Although if he did he should have kept it to himself!

49. evonne says:

Royal – I am sure he has many nutcases writting to him daily :) If I was him I would bin the whole lot. BUT I happen to know someone who received a personal reply from Wenger

50. evonne says:

come on Shitty, wakey wakey!!

51. evonne says:

good goal Fatso!

52. goonermichael says:

I love nasri more than cesc now

53. gunnern5 says:

Brilliant run and goal by Nasri – top drawer stuff.

54. Gooner In Exile says:

Here comes the twitch, brought on by the fat witch

55. Gooner In Exile says:

Brilliant pass from Silva

na na na na na na na na Samir Na$ri ….. but he’s still a %£&*

57. Gooner In Exile says:

Have only watched second half, struggling to see that he’s worth £150m

I want to know how its a Record…..they only value him that much, if someone is foolish enough to pay it.

Altho London Zoo may have a rare primate breeding programme

58. goonermichael says:

let’s hope this is the start of thier decline. I had a really annoying spud girl in my shop yesterday.

59. gunnern5 says:

Bum-ped in by Lescott.

60. goonermichael says:

savic is a bit of a liability

61. goonermichael says:

dzeko you donkey

Bollocks. Surely not!

63. Gooner In Exile says:

Is that City fans booing Dzeko? poor

Excellent. Balotelli to finish them off.

65. goonermichael says:

oh well

Shiiiiiiit

67. Gooner In Exile says:

Sorry…..that ones on me

68. goonermichael says:

coleman is really annoying me.

69. evonne says:

GM – you mean you hate Fatso less than you hate Cesc?

70. goonermichael says:

That’s it evonne

71. goonermichael says:

coleeman just said “if anything tottenham look more offensive now” best commentary so far

72. goonermichael says:

101greatgoals.com @101greatgoals 1m
    Reply RetweetedRetweet
    FavoritedFavorite · Close Open Details Rumours on Arsenal XI is that Vermaelen & Chamberlain will both start

Retweeted by Gooner Tom

73. evonne says:

GM :)

Scum would be happy with a draw. Fair play to them, they really took the game to Manchester, no fear

74. evonne says:

TV on, and Ox is starting, interesting

75. goonermichael says:

ox is starting

76. goonermichael says:

we’ve got a very weak bench. no striker

77. Cory (Gooner In NYC) says:

“floppy overcooked strings of spaghetti” = pure genius
    -My brain says a 2-2 draw today, but my heart is feeling bold & says 4-2 to the mighty Gunners today with Verm(2), RVP, & Theo on the scoresheet (yup, Verm with 2!!!)
    -With his goal today, that’s the 1st positive contribution nasri has made for Arsenal since last Nov/Dec

78. goonermichael says:

sorry missed park

79. evonne says:

what a spectacular miss :)

80. goonermichael says:

savic is really bad. sending kompany off was so important

81. goonermichael says:

we had savic on trial thank god we didn’t buy him

82. evonne says:

Cory – you right about Na$ri’s contribution for over a year

83. evonne says:

Penalty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

84. goonermichael says:

have that (nasty word here)

85. Gooner In Exile says:

Ok thats f*cking hilarious!

86. gunnern5 says:

Super Mario

87. goonermichael says:

How funny is that?

88. Nick says:

Unbelievable… Balotelli plays for a penalty and gets it. He should’ve been sent off for stamping on Scott Parker. Hahahaha Spurs lose! Brilliant goal from Bale though.

I’d like to see Balotelli battle out his thuggery vs Pepe.

Come on you Gunners!!!!

89. goonermichael says:

the way this weekends results have gone losing today would’t be that bad. I wonder if that will take some pressure off? If our boys play with a bit of confidence we can beat this weak manc team.

90. Gooner In Exile says:

Szczesny
    Djourou……Mertesacker……Koscielny…..Vermaelen
    Ramsey….Song……..Rosicky
    Walcott…..Van Persie…..Oxlade-Chamberlain.

91. Gooner In Exile says:

Verm fit, Ox starts…….that’ll do….shame no Arteta

92. goonermichael says:

It didn’t look like a stamp to me. I bet he gets a ban though, remember shreks elbow last seasson? he got off.

93. Gooner In Exile says:

From Twitter:

“Howard Webb gets his own back on Fergie after being dropped for Mike Dean today.”

GiE,
    Very good :-)
    Certainly adds pressure on Utd.
    Ox to start. Massive :-)

95. SharkeySure says:

Ok, kids footie out of the way….kids cycling out of the way…

Saw the last ten wonderful minutes of the spuds game…

Just seen the team news and I’m very happy.

Song owes us a good performance today. At his best he can boss the midfield (like Frimpong did for Wolves against totnum :roll: )

Right. Who’s on the AA sofa for this one. Raddy and Rocky down their boozers I suspect. Rasp, Peaches, Chas, Chary, 26, LB Tavern.
    Everyone else present and correct?

Tremendous second half in which Spurs were the better side – something it pains me to write. They looked real quality and had Ade started and not the dwarf Defoe ….. but he couldn’t :-)

Decent team, shame about Arteta but I like Ox starting. Gutted Thierrry not fit.

Very warm and comfy in Peaches pocket

Rasp,
    You’re in the wrong place!

and me,with one foot in the air. if we go one nil up inside ten, i will definitely be behind the sofa.

luckily i am in peaches top pocket ;)

as long as the talking point of the match is not the ref.

I was about to write that I’m more of a back pocket man, but it just sounds wrong!

Haha, I’m working Micky. 10/10 for AW for his team selection. He now needs to use his subs appropriately and get the team fired up and the points will be ours :P

The link to Untold Arsenal’s Ref Watch was very interesting – not sure about alluding to Asian Betting rings etc but the fact we haven;t won in 10 games with Dean reffing is a concern

106. Gooner In Exile says:

Right see you all at half time.

“Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger says it would be a disaster if his team fail to qualify for the Champions League: “For me it would be,” he says. “Because I want to play with the best. We want to be in there, in the top four, and to play in the Champions League, and anything else would not be good enough. Quite right, go and have a word with your chairman.

Well at least we’ve got that cleared up Raddy.
    If we lose, its the Ref’s fault. Simple :-)

blimey, rasp positive, raddy nervous and a little down.

Let’s get ready to rumble.
    Come on you Gunnnnners

kelsey. What can I say without being naughty?

112. evonne says:

Micky – what was it like in the tunnel, I just came in

COYRRG

Come on Song Billong, Get a Grip

115. allezkev says:

Delighted to see Oxlade-Chamberlain start….

The Arsenal bench looks worryingly thin on players who can come on and save the day…..

116. goonermichael says:

song looking lethargic again

117. goonermichael says:

I know it’s not nice to laugh at other players injuries but HAHAHAHA

118. goonermichael says:

The press will make sure Balotelli gets a ban.

119. allezkev says:

Nice to see some other team suffering a few injuries.

Good player Jones. Wish we’d got him last August…

120. goonermichael says:

Iain Weir @IainWeir1988 4m
    Reply RetweetedRetweet
    FavoritedFavorite · Close Open Details Walcott not even getting booked for that on Phil Jones?? There doesn’t have to be contact if there is intent!!! Absolute joke! #AFC #MUFC

121. goonermichael says:

walcott needs to score if he doesn’t want a slagging. he’s already been poor

122. allezkev says:

Listening to 5Live and i gotta say it sounds quite scrappy, poor passing, poor crossing…..

123. allezkev says:

We still hear from certain sections of the media/Press about Pires diving……
    Do we ever hear a peep about Rooney diving???

124. goonermichael says:

That was coming. JD is so weak

125. goonermichael says:

Can’t really see us scoring

126. goonermichael says:

We’re looking shit since the forst 10 minutes. I think yennaris should come on .

127. fatgingergooner says:

Been coming for 20 minutes that goal.

The job of a full back is to stop crosses. Djourou has stood off Nani all game.

The lack of closing down in the middle is just allowing United to pick that pass over the back 4 to Nani. Our midfielders are shit at defending. Fact! They dive in to try and nick the ball and just get turned and taken out of the game. They don’t communicate or defend as a 3. Song looks like he’s playing on a beach somewhere. Sauntering around like it doesn’t matter. If he hasn’t already decided to leave then I will be very suprised. He doesn’t care.

a bit like the alamo isn’t it. what has happened to our team? Ox is breath of fresh air but when we occasionally break whoever is on the ball doesn’t know what todo, and united are in second gear. whose on the bench …exactly.

129. goonermichael says:

Jonny @JonnyOneill 2m
    Reply RetweetedRetweet
    FavoritedFavorite · Close Open Details Easy really. Your opponent has no full backs and you have good direct wingers. Easy. Genuinely easy.

It was obvious from the start that djourou is not a right back.i won’t mention walcott.

No link between defence and attack. Said it so many times, Ramsey is not yet an AM. Arsene has got AR and TR the wrong way round.

132. Gooner In Exile says:

We need to play higher up the pitch. Same frailties as against Swansea and Fulham. We need Song to push the rest of the midfield up.

Too big a gap between defensive lines and midfield.

JD not being helped and he needs to be by at least Walcott.

Rosicky, Chambo, Merts and of course Kozzer playing best of our bunch. RvP needs support.

Question Sz a bit for the goal,could probably have come for it, but it was a great cross (and should be when no pressure on the ball).

133. goonermichael says:

John Cooney @johncooney1 3m
    Reply RetweetedRetweet
    FavoritedFavorite · Close Open Details Djourou is a woeful defender, hard to argue with the score line. Walcott to Liverpool please. Give us 35m Kenny

134. goonermichael says:

I’ve turned the tv off for half time. don’t want to watch any of that again.

135. allezkev says:

This is set up for the usual ManUre favourite of soaking up our attacks, as much as they are, and hitting us on the break in the 2nd 45….
    We mustn’t go gung ho or this could be messy….

Very very disappointing. Every attack exposing JD who is getting buried, BUT how stupid are our team not to give him assistance?

Whenever JD is beaten the attacker has a free run on goal. Where is our right sided MF?

Once again AW has been out-thought by SAF.

We haven’t had a single decent chance. I would take Walcott off now.

Totally outclassed.

137. Gooner In Exile says:

Yennaris on….

138. goonermichael says:

Yennaris is coming on. We can see if I’m really stupid now

Madness

I don’t blame JD. He’s not a full back. Arsene needs to sort the midfield out. All wrong.
    Kelsey,
    Notice I didn’t mention Walcott!

141. fatgingergooner says:

We haven’t even made them work for the goal. Just sat back and said here you go, I’m lubed up ready for ya!

Carrick just say I’m front of RvP and made it impossible to get it to his feet. The odd occasion he has had it to feet we look more dangerous, but he’s having to drop 20 yards to get in front of Carrick.

Walcott shouldn’t even be on the pitch. Ox is showing him how he should be playing, but he’s not good enough.

142. oz gunner says:

yennaris should have started, djourou is a liability normally, let alone against nani. Very shocked at verm for not dealing with the giggs cross. As for our attack all i can say is…walcott oh dear! Ox showed him how it was done when he left evra for dead. When walcott was opposed to carrick in the same position what does he try and do?send in an early cross. RVP is not going to win the aerial ball against Smalling and evans

My solution:
    Ox Robin Ros
    ……AA
    Ramsey..Song

144. goonermichael says:

for fucks sake

145. fatgingergooner says:

Started well but we must score in the first 15 minutes.

146. goonermichael says:

again

Come on
    We can win this

148. goonermichael says:

that was close

Ox will be our AM one day.

150. fatgingergooner says:

Ox is gunna be a star.

What a pass

151. goonermichael says:

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS in a really girly voice

152. goonermichael says:

why take him off?

153. fatgingergooner says:

Come on now lads.

Let’s go on and win one of these games. Sick of fucking it up!

154. goonermichael says:

the crowd look really pissed off

155. Gooner In Exile says:

Shouldn’t have taken him off……but crowd response being shown on TV not good.

156. goonermichael says:

our nemesis is coming on

157. goonermichael says:

Piers Morgan @piersmorgan 33s
    Reply RetweetedRetweet
    FavoritedFavorite · Close Open Details Look at @Persie_Official ‘s fury at The Ox being taken off. Outrageous decision. Wenger’s gone, I’m telling you.

disaggre wit the last part btw

158. goonermichael says:

this looks bad.

159. goonermichael says:

I hate wellbeck

160. fatgingergooner says:

Brilliant defending

161. goonermichael says:

Iain Macintosh @iainmacintosh 55s
    Reply RetweetedRetweet
    FavoritedFavorite · Close Open Details I wonder what Arshavin thinks about as the game passes him by. The exchange rate, perhaps? Holiday homes?

162. fatgingergooner says:

Why o why does Wenger not learn.

What was the point of bringing Arshavin on. He has contributed nothing and nothing could have been gained by bringing him onto the pitch.

We had a full head of steam until Arsene brought The Ox off !!!!!!!
    We then lost our rhythm. Seriously pissed off with our tactical approach.
    Bollocks.

164. goonermichael says:

Wenger subbed our best player just after he sets up a goal. I’m too angry to blog, I don’t want to see arshavin or walcott playing for us next season and I’ll behappy with a new manager. They can all fuck off. wankers

165. goonermichael says:

What a wanker. The mancs are a shit team. Wwe make them look good. Totally expected result for me.

166. goonermichael says:

Oliver Holt @OllieHoltMirror 2m
    Reply RetweetedRetweet
    FavoritedFavorite · Close Open Details Wenger being jeered and baited by Arsenal fans at the final whistle. Arsenal boss looks up at them wearily. Sad to see

167. goonermichael says:

Opta Sports @OptaJoe 2m
    Reply RetweetedRetweet
    FavoritedFavorite · Close Open Details 3 – Arsenal have lost three consecutive Premier League games for the first time since April 2007. Barren

168. fatgingergooner says:

GM

It’s like watching a DVD. We all knew what would happen before we kicked off.

Thankfully, I set my expectations as such this time around. If the players aren’t gunna learn from their mistakes then I will have to.

169. goonermichael says:

There is real anger now. That was a stupid decision. Why would our captain sign a new deal? i wouldn’t. I’d go for better money and more chance of a trophy.

170. Gooner In Exile says:

If someone can explain how Theos injury, Nanis injury plus three subs and two goals only added up to 5 minutes injury time.

Good second half display we played further up the pitch and looked better for it.

Wenger will be abused for taking Ox off but I guess red zone is the answer. But 2 minutes after the pacy threat was taken off Fergie puts on Park and moved Valencia to right back….and he sets up the goal.

That said TV didn’t cover himself in glory helping out AA23 either.

Kozzer did not deserve to be on losers side again.

171. goonermichael says:

The manager doesn’t learn either ginger. I’m fucking livid,. He can go now. I really couldn’t give a shit anymore.

172. goonermichael says:

GiE AA was shit. He generally is shit I’m afraid sooner he goes the better.

173. fatgingergooner says:

No suprise that both goals came from our full back errors.

Djourou stood off for the first and Arshavin and Vermaelen were nowhere to be seen for the second.

174. goonermichael says:

Craig Eastmond @craigleastmond 10s
    RetweetedRetweet
    FavoritedFavorite
    · Close Open Details Hope I get home for #GotToDance

Get your prorities right. tosser

I am a huge fan of AW but he lost the game for us today. An inexplicable substitution, and very poor tactics in the first half,

Perhaps AW’s worst performanvce in many a year.

Because … we were on top. We had just scored thanks to a sublime piece of control from the Ox. Raphael was shot and what does AW do? Bring on a player who has been totally off form all season.

Had RvP been as sharp as normal … lots of what if’s.

BFG and Kos were magnificent today.

176. Gooner In Exile says:

I’m not disagreeing GM about AA

177. fatgingergooner says:

Red Zoney my arse!

Talking about an 18 year old kid who has played about 90 minutes all season.

Not often I slate Wenger but that was a piss poor decision to take him off.

178. GhostFace says:

Raddy,

Arsenes been getting the subs wrong for ages.

This one has been the most blatant and obvious because of the magnitude and the opponents.

179. goonermichael says:

I think he’s lost it really.

180. goonermichael says:

QueenofSuburbia @QueenofSuburbia 28s
    Reply RetweetedRetweet
    FavoritedFavorite · Close Open Details Van Persie has to be off after this. Won’t stay.

I agree. QoS is a positive person usually

181. goonermichael says:

Oliver Kay @OliverKayTimes 22s
    Reply RetweetedRetweet
    FavoritedFavorite · Close Open Details Gary Neville on Arshavin: “You don’t like to criticise players, but he looks the most disinterested player in the league to me”

182. Irishgunner says:

That was fucking genius by Wenger, complete fucking genius!

183. goonermichael says:

He’s lost the plot on that one so badly. There were a couple of wenger ot banners in the ground apparently. I don’t care anymore

Walcott was dreadful today, so was JD, and AA.

My hope is that Theo will regain his mojo when Sagna returns because right now he creates nothing.

185. goonermichael says:

I’m off to play Legend of Zelda skyward sword. Much better than that

Know I shouldn’t write this but SAF was as good as AW was bad.

His switching of Valencia and bringing on Park won the game.

187. goonermichael says:

Watch this. I can’t imagine why Robin would sign his final contract with us.

188. goonermichael says:

Did he win it or did Wenger lose it? Raddy. The mancs never really have to be that good to beat us.

189. Irishgunner says:

BR – Hate having to agree but I do. Ferguson reorganised his team well when they were going through a bad patch, Wenger fucked it up when we were going well.

190. goonermichael says:

Arteta Olsson Fans @MikelArteta08 1m
    Reply RetweetedRetweet
    FavoritedFavorite · Close Open Details Alex Oxlade created 4 chances v United, including 1 assist. No Arsenal or United player created more chances than him. (via @ReviewFootball)

GM Both.

192. Gooner In Exile says:

FGG I’m not saying he was in the red zone, but as said in commentary there is probably a physician somewhere that says once he has covered x amount of yards he is susceptible to injury as he hasn’t got the conditioning under his belt.

However to strike up a bit of balance:

RvPs miss after 5 minutes of second half, how different if that shot goes in?

193. Irishgunner says:

Where did this red zone shit come from?

Not having a go at you GIE for bringing it up but its not like OXO is played a lot and you can get injured after 30secs. It was a ridiculous sub.

GIE. Or Ramsey’s. They could learn from strikers like Wright, Dalgleish, Lineker, Messi etc that getting the ball over the goal line is the target, not breaking the net.

Grace under Pressure.

195. Gooner In Exile says:

Irish I hate the red zone terminology, but enough fans have bought into it that it can now be used as justification for substitutions like that.

AW about to comment so we’ll see what he has to say.

I think RvPs face said it all….guessing dressing room might be fractious this evening.

196. fatgingergooner says:

It astonishes me that this United team are challenging for the league.

They are poor. In the middle of the pitch they have Carrick, Giggs, Scholes, Anderson, Park. That is not a line up that should be challenging for titles.

It’s so frustrating as a fan to watch us make the same mistakes over and over again.

Why bring on Arshavin at all? Why make a sub for the sake of it? Why let Valencia get into the box before trying to challenge him? Why keep Theo on when he’s been the worst player on the pitch? Why start with Djourou at RB when you have a RB on the bench? Why bother!?

197. pat says:

re your 6:18 Big Raddy I agree… although JD was “dealt with” correctly at half time which was a big call to pull him. However same as the crowd – no idea why Ox was pulled, he was the single biggest threat we had. Very disappointing tactics there. Ox was all over Rafeal esp since he was on a yellow. Did great harm to the team to have Ox come off crowd was disappointed, the team was disappointed as was I. RVPs reaction was understandable bewilderment as well.

Arshavins time is definitely up I am afraid – Walcott has done no favours either – did not put much heat on evra.

Interesting to know that Park actually exists… but this game? Why now?

I genuinely think we face early implosion this season.

199. fatgingergooner says:

Must say, we did play well second half.

If our aim is top 4 then this weekend isn’t a disaster.

200. Irishgunner says:

The Ox had cramp – as I said, complete genius by Wenger, we wouldn’t want him out for a long period and risk injury :lol: . He’s definitely going to start against Villa over AA23.

Think Wenger should have went for Yossi over Arshavin, at least Yossi would have put in a good defensive shift, we’d have taken the point today.

FGG,
    Our aim is definately top four, and we are in a massive fight with the Chavs. We will get more injuries and there are no guarrantees that all on the current sick list will come back on time and stay fit.
    Fortunately for us, Villas-Boat has problems too.

Need some food and a stiff drink.

203. goonermichael says:

I thought we already had ginger. it’s only that the chavs and bindippers are so bad that we aren’t already out of CL contention already

I would never boo our manager,but that was a really mistimed substitue. The Ox was on fire and RVP looked at Wengr and clearly said NO. United defensively aren’t that great but as a squad far better than us.
    The ref was certainly not impartial.
    Walcott and Arshavin would be rested with a full squad and in Arshavin’s case, enough is enough.
    Kos really is turning into a class act,but first half we were piss poor.

What does it take for Ramsey and Rosicky to score.

A hard time ahead and most probably the CL is gone for this year.

I can’t put it any more polite than that.

205. Gooner In Exile says:

Ok so hopefully AW has cooled some of the abuse over explanation that he was seen stretching out his calves (ie getting tight and ready to pull something).

I bet there is someone in Arsenals PR dept hurriedly searching for the pic to prove it :)

I wonder if these decisions are influenced by the injury record of Cesc (maybe not last season but the one before) and now he is taking even more care over their introduction.

206. Gooner In Exile says:

Also he did start the interview by saying a tactical mistake cost us. JD over NicoYennaris or his substitution.

When you play any Pl game and half the team are just not good enough,or out of form or potentiall, that’s what you get.
    Squad depth is the key.

GIE,

the pressure is getting to him, from where i am not sure,but he is not the clear thinking man of a few years back.

209. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Disappointed, but with all our injuries and Gerv` away, nothing less than I expected. Arsene Wenger is a great Manager of a football club, but like I said a while back, how hard Is It to pick and change a team ?. My answer was , most people on this site would do a fair job of It !. I bet I`m not in the minority to say, I wouldn`t have taken the Ox off . RVP`s face paints a thousand words .
    Anyway, have we bought anyone yet !

210. Irishgunner says:

Something will always make you laugh :lol:

photo/1/large

211. fatgingergooner says:

I could probably sit and slate the team for a good hour or 2 but it’s of no benefit to me or anyone else.

Second half we played some decent stuff and could’ve got a result. We are still in the mix for 4th and we all new this was going to be a tough weekend. It could be 7 points but it’s only 5, so by no means impossible.

Players need to stand up and be counted, and it’s Wengers job make sure players aren’t allowed to hide. If the likes of Song, Theo and Arshavin are allowed to continue cruising then we are in for a bad few months.

I still believe that our first 11 is a match for anyone. Whats worrying though is the reserves. Time for a change of personnel. This club badly needs an injection of confidence and hunger.

212. pat says:

nice irish – evra is going like WTF?

213. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Nice one Irish, I suppose with no hairs left on his arse, It will be a smoother entry !

Where do we go from here? We certainly didn’t help ourselves today.

Continued poor decision making, an owner who is not interested in football and a manager who is unchallenged. What will it take to turn things around? – or maybe this is what the future holds for us.

215. pat says:

@fgg OX = confidence and hunger

Rasp,
    it’s a bit like just before a buy out.don’t spend don’t win too many matches but the potential is there for all to see.

217. gooner lost in cornwall says:

fgg,
    Thing is mate, we`ve known for years our strongest eleven are a match for anyone in this league, but when have we last had a strongest eleven + subs for a sustained period ?

218. Irishgunner says:

Pat – Evra is most likely thinking “Can I join in?”

GLIC – :lol:

219. gooner lost in cornwall says:

The mighty Bolton next in the league, the slayers of the dippers ! :)

220. Gooner In Exile says:

OK calmed down thoughts on the game.

Second half we played much much better showed some fight, lets be honest at half time no one expected even that from us. Before the game some were predicting another massacre.

That we scored a great Arsenal like goal….Kosser to TR7 to Ox to RvP goal is evidence that we can play the stuff we used to.

Still need to be more efficient in front of goal, RvP, Rambo, TR7 all had good chances to level before we eventually did score a far harder chance. 6 shots on target (of which 1 at least should have been scored with more composure) , 6 off target (2 of which if had been on target were certain goals).

That Ox is a serious talent to accompany Wilshere and Rambo.

Yennaris should play right back until Sagna returns.

TV is not a left back and is capable of having a bad game.

BFG still turns like an oil tanker, but reading of the game rarely puts him in positions like he got into today. Should be used for CL more than PL eventually.

Kozzzer goes from strength to strength.

Song needs to have some shots of red bull before taking to the pitch as he takes so long to get into the game.

TR7 works his socks off and could still do a job in certain games with the right players around him. Filled in for Arteta well today.

221. Gooner In Exile says:

Actually that Bolton game is important for my like for like table as reversing the loss last year is much needed for me to continue to produce the spreadsheet which I am afraid is looking bleak.

222. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Anyone heard the Romford Pele`s “Best ever signing ” on Talksport.
    He said the place was as high as a kite when we bought Bergkamp in. We need a big big buy to lift the place, otherwise there could be a lot of “behind the sofa time ” for poor evonne !

I agree kelsey. We’ve been here before – its a perennial situation.

The idea of building for a team in 2-3 years time is ridiculous. Yes we have wonderful young players coming through, but that has been the situation for 4 or 5 years. It is not coming to fruition because the players lose belief in the fantasy and move on, or stay and become infected by the malaise that seems to engulf our players. Of course there are exceptions.

Who would offer Theo more money to stay now? He’s in the last year of his contract and his value in the transfer market is diminishing the closer he gets to leaving on a free. He could attract higher wages from elsewhere and leave with the excuse that he wanted to ‘win something’

I have never wavered on my opinion of Theo and he would go to another club, for that i am sure

.if you watch him carefully football doesn’t come naturally to him,

225. gooner lost in cornwall says:

I said once before, Theo is the player I most want to succeed, he`d make a fine son in law, I even had his name put onto my boy`s shirt, but I dont see him as a typical winger. Downing, Johnson, Sinclair,Lennon and others, all players with the tricky dribbling skill`s which Theo lacks. I just see Gerv` and Ox as the better option in that area. I`d rather Theo come on as the “impact ” sub when defenders are tired .

226. fatgingergooner says:

I agree Kelsey,

I was hoping that age would see his play develop, but he is still pace first, football second.

He never looks comfortable on the ball. He doesn’t relax when in important positions, which is why he often chooses the wrong decision. Also, his positioning doesnt come natural to him. The Ox highlighted those differences today. Everything he did looked effortless.

Maybe it’s because Theo is a striker by trade (apparently), but after 4 or 5 seasons playing in one position, you would think he would at least have improved.

227. gooner lost in cornwall says:

It looks like Ramsey`s saying to Rooney, ” thats it, hold my hand, take deep breaths and push, harder, I can see it`s head “

I’m not really here, but need to say that Kelsey’s: “Football doesn’t come naturally to him” comment has made me laugh for the first time in four hours. Diplomatic Corps would be a better option than say….snake charme,r for example :-)
    Remember lads, if you want to blame someone, always go for the one at the top. That’ll be Stan!
    Final thought. We do have the players to finish above Chelsea…..just….I think.
    Nite all.

And he was delighted with the impact that young winger Alex Oxlade-chamberlain had on the game.

“He did well,” added Wenger. “I feel, like the rest of the team, he suffered a bit in the first-half. In the second-half he did well.

“I thought he was a bit tired in the end and I took him off but if people were not happy when I took him off at least it shows that it was a good decision to start him.”

AH, yes you could read it that way ;)

230. So sad about the result. The only thing that cheers me up is Ox, what a great talent he’s.

GM 6:23, I definitely would not hate RvP if he decided not to sign a new contract. He deserved better reward.

I don’t want to admit that our club is lack of ambition but at some point you have to accept that. For years we’ve been self-satisfied ourselves with top 4, CL qualification and finish above the scum. I absolutely realise the financial constraint but I think we could/should do better.

Sorry if my words offended some gooners.

Bolton next. COYRRG.

231. Irishgunner says:

13Szczesny13 Wojciech Szczesny
    Its just about time for me to grow up, delete twitter and focus on football! Thanks for all the support I have received here.

232. Irishgunner says:

A BBC journalist had just confirmed that Oxo signaled he needed to come off. That solves that then.

233. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Irish,
    About time, all this social networking stuff probably leaves them to knackered for training ! :)

234. Irishgunner says:

GLIC – They can be fun at times, but at least he sees (and hopefully some more) that they need to knuckle down and cop on a bit.

Theo doesn’t even have twitter so don’t know what his excuse is :-/

235. goonermichael says:

Right I’ve cooled off now. Theo can fuck off, arsavin can fuck off and unless he picks up wenger can fuck off too. I said before the game that JD against nani was scaring me. i also said to start Yennaris. If I can see that it is bad because I know the least about football of anyone on this site. I think it’s bad that a lot of fans are saying arshavin was booed too. The substition of Ox was the problem.

236. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Arshavin just tweeted.”
    “If I could grow up, I would be taller. I need to take more interest In my football, instead of counting how much more interest my massive wages have made “

237. gooner lost in cornwall says:

gm
    Glad to see you have cooled off. :lol:

238. Gooner In Exile says:

Eden Hazard allegedly watched the game at the Emirates today

After the way the fans treated our last big January arrival I guess he is having second thoughts.

I think we need to temper our comments and avoid any form of personal abuse. This site was set up precisely because the base level of critical comment elsewhere was intolerable. We can express our opinions freely without descending into insults.

240. gooner lost in cornwall says:

GiE,
    Was he “allegedly at the game or “allegedly” watching on the Box ?

241. Gooner In Exile says:

Just read this on twitter and I think i entirely agree with the sentiments, and sums up the fickleness at some sections of Arsenal fans at the moment:

“We didn’t appreciate it when he bought him for 12m. We didn’t appreciate it when he started an 18 year old against united. But we are first to smash the criticism to roof when he subbed an 18 year old after 70 mins.”

242. Gooner In Exile says:

i have no idea GLIC, but if he was there it was probably to talk to Fergie :D

243. gooner lost in cornwall says:

You just read my mind GiE ! :)

On the up side we scored on a break away and the last time we did that Robert Pires was still at the club.

That is such a crap manu side, they get worse every year, the obvious problem is — so do we.

245. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Shall I go and peep on that other site, I bet some are jumping off high building`s and others melting their Gold and praying to “other” Gods ! :evil:

246. harry says:

Well I am still hiding under my quilt, the bread is stale and water supply low, but after that result, I must not venture out, safety is paramount in times of such woe.

The angry Gooner mob are flooding the blogosphere yet again, what disappoints more???

“The poor results or the near instantaneous kneejerk backlash and vitriolic abuse that spews out of some illogical, traitorous nethanderals gutter box”

Fans can be disappointed and even irate, but remain rational, loose emotions, serve no purpose when berating our own, surely??

Understanding of all the external factors is needed when analysing where we are and where we are going.

Back to my quilt for a quiet reflection and stale bread, still love been a Gooner, always will……….

Defeat only but sweetens Victory……..

~ PS I am not speaking about the regulars that I have got to know over the last 2 seasons on this site.

I didn’t think anything could lift me today but your comment Harry has managed to do so.

There is of course one thing that could have made things a whole lot worse today: if you think your feeling bad now, just imagine how you would feel if spuds had won.

I know, I know, clutching at straws but as Tony Soprano would say

Whatcha gonna do?

248. SharkeySure says:

That was a bit like my sons match this morning….they lost 3-1 but comfortably had enough chances to win it.

Our finishing was horrible.

Song is starting to worry me lately. He’s still ‘doing a job’…but he sees to have lost a bit of his drive and tenacity. He still managed to pull out possibly the pass of the day at the end to get Theo in behind.

Ooops…I didn’t plan on mentioning Theo !

Kozzer…best defender in the League in my eyes. Unbelievably high standards of late…even drives us forward when required.

249. Gooner In Exile says:

:D LB

Thought the same, altho the last time we scored a goal like that was actually Barca at home last year when AA23 was brought on as sub to send the Emirates mental. What a difference 11 months makes!

250. Irishgunner says:

I was initially very angry but once I knew why Oxo came off that was fine although Yossi still would have been a better choice to come on in my opinion. However, AA23 came on against Barca last season and won us the game, so – win some, lose some.

Jaysus, if people think Arsenal are in crisis, HELLO LIVERPOOL – they are just a mass of shite and have a whole load of rebuilding to do … with no new stadium.

It may well be that Ox was tired but I cannot believe an 18 y-o in his first really big game at THOF having set up a goal and having the beating of his FB signals he wants to be subbed.

Would you at 18?

GIE. The 3 “facts”have nothing to do with each other. To take off our most potent attacker and replace him with a man who has completely lost his form is going to be a red rag to the fans and rightly so.

In doing so AW exposed AA to a booing he doesn’t deserve who would not have known the boos were not aimed at him specifically but at AW’s decision. That said to hear the fans singing “you don’t know what you are doing” is totally unacceptable.

The persistence with Theo when he was so clearly in Evra’s pocket was another cause for concern.

I have no concerns about the future direction of our club at all, on the contrary, the inevitable emergence of Alex Chamberlin is what wil be rememberd from this game, not the result.

Everything will fall into place soon, i know its hard to fathom tonight, but we are at the dawn of a new era of Arsenal dominance. Stay calm and paitent, in 12 months we will be fighting for the league and the emerging Arsenal will be hailed as a revelation.

253. Irishgunner says:

BR – I would think that he signaled to come off before he set up the goal cos the sub was made straight away. I believe it was an injury/strain.

OK… I don’t buy the ‘Oxo axed to be subbed line’. I think AW made a big, big blunder that cost us the game.

But… some positives:

After a first half in which we were really outplayed (almost entirely due to our lack of FBs) we turned it round really well in the second half and did enough to have won the game. The turn-around showed grit and determination.

Oxo is a serious talent and must surely now be a starter ahead of AA.

Our two CBs played exceptionally well, even in the first half when they had to deal with a succession of crosses from our poorly defended flanks.

As many have said, with some of our missing players (including some real FBs) we would be more than a match for ManUre. Our best six players in the club, in order (and in my sole opinion) are:
    RvP, Wilshere, Vermaelen, Sagna, Arteta, Kozzer. Today only three of those played and only two were in their rightful positions.

Park looked tidy when he came on.

TR7 looked good in the second half.

Szczesny had a good game.

I don’t see this as the start of an implosion. This defeat will come to be seen as the end of our bad spell and we will now go on a good run. Mark my words!

OK. Before I try and sleep, some positives

The second half showing was good, particularly after the dire first half.

RvP scored again

Kos, BFG and Ox had fine games.

For a few minutes in the second half I genuinely thought we would win.

In Oxlade Chamberlain we have a player who can get people on the edge of their seats. When Gerv returns we will have a really exciting attack.

Prior to the game the consensus on AA was that if we were to go down it should be fighting. For 45 mins the team did that.

Spurs lost :-D

Irish
    AW had prepped two subs (AA and Park) before the goal. It was purely tactical because we were chasing the game.

Then we scored and AW inexplicably stuck to the subs plan he had made when we were trailing. Bizarre.

Haha BR
    We’re both digging out the positives :)
    By the way – another excellent pre-match. One of my great regrets is that I never got to see Besty play in the flesh but, like you, I rate him in the very top rank of the world’s best ever players.

RL. I am so old I saw Stanley Matthews play at Highbury :-(

259. Irishgunner says:

RL – That could be very true as well.

Either way, we’ll be ahead of Spurs come May. They will implode as Villa did a few seasons back and we’ll start to get our players back and go win enough to make the top 4.

I’m off to do the lotto since I’m so optimistic :lol:

260. Irishgunner says:

No class

photo/1

261. SharkeySure says:

RL – My six best

1st tier – RVP, Song, Wilshere, Kozzer

2nd tier: Sagna, Vermaelen, Arteta.

Ok, thats seven…but it was tough. I fully expect AOC to be in bucket one next season.

Only problem is …will some of the others still be in there..??

262. goonermichael says:

OK I’ll be rational if you are referring to me. Arshavin hasn’t played well for ages. He clearly isn’t interested so I don’t see why he plays him. Theo has never been and probably never will be good enough. bale, lennon, a young, nani and valencia are better. jd has been poor at right back so why play him there? It’s not a knee jerk reaction.

263. Wow this really is a team in transition isn’t it …………………… great young players knocking on the door and some that we’ve tired of lining up at the exit.

Theo has had enough chances now surely ……….. he can be fantastic but I’m pretty certain its more by luck than judgement. AA’s undoubted magic could have turned up today but it didn’t. Why Park??????

I sat lower tier in the North Bank so I really can’t comment on the mid-field but it was funny to have Mert and Kosser camped in the box for the final 5 minutes of the game ……. just hoping for a ricochet to add to our goal tally. It could have happened only it didn’t.

We definitely could have beaten that mank team :(

264. gm – agree with all your 9.26. Why not start Yennaris for goodness sake??????

265. Did anyone offer to write a post for tomorrow while I was at The Emirates?

At least the pub was fun, peaches.

We definitely should have won the second half.
    Game-changing substitution…..

267. Irishgunner says:

Gonna go watch a film now, fucking Manc fans tomorrow are going to be a pain ….. uuuurghhhhhhh stupid working with non-Arsenal fans when we lose

268. gunnern5 says:

In the end result we are not a team in transision we are a team that professes transisition – but the reality is we are now a mid table team.

We have taken 7 points out of our last 18 = 39% = CRAP!

269. tomstoned says:

Thank God we’re not in this game to win,cant wait to see our profits for the last six months,it must be sky high and that my friends are far better than any victory or trophy..
    lets not feel down,we do reach our ambitions…makin money and im sure at the end of the season the Gooners are being appreciated wtih another rise in ticket prices and we’ll even make some more money when we sell RvP ..

and about todays disaster, one good thing it seems like we have discovered another player-The Ox-that will bring us a lot of money when we sell him in a year..we sell the best and keep the rest remember ;great

270. gunnern5 says:

For those that can bear to think about stats… this season we have a points won % of 54.5% which is the 2nd worst in the last 24 seasons. It was only worse under GG in 1992/3 at 44.4%.

Quite underwhelming…………

271. goonermichael says:

I don’t understand your comments sometimes tom.

272. harry says:

@RL 9.12pm……..bang on the nail mate…………Once we scored would have left it as it was……..

@GM 9.26pm Wasnt referring to you mate hence the PS at the bottom, it was borne out of my frustration at some of our so called fans…….None of the contributors on here…..

GM I also agree about Djourou, been saying that for 18months now, even at centre back he gives me the jeepers………..When I saw Yennaris in the cup v Bolton, was impressed, i cant believe we havent played him against swansea, fulham etc

But cannot agree that lennon is better than Walcott, both are inconsistent and have moments of brilliance, dont get sucked into hype about players, lennon is nothing special and will drift, would I swap them, NO WAY……

Bale is over rated at the moment, one good game here and there and gets voted Player of the year. He is good, but not world beater yet, has lots to learn…….Swap?, maybe……

Nani is 18months ahead of Walcott, would i swap them? maybe not sure…….

Valencia will get no better, he is an average winger. Would I swap, no way……..

A young, quality on his day, but again, so inconsistent……would take him to Arsenal, his boyhood team defo, would I swap? NO.

The thing for me, is that he doesnt suit out wide, we dont play to his strengths and he struggles through this……I would stick with Theo for a tad longer, IMHO.

273. goonermichael says:

OK lennon is shit I agree. i’m not saying that lot are any good just that theo isn’t good enough. valencia can cross theo can’t

274. goonermichael says:

photo/1

275. tomstoned says:

no worries goonermichael..

im just struggling with Our Belevod Arsenal’s new ambitions…being a bank and just be in football for one simple reason=making money..
    its just silly me who felt better back in the days when The Arsenal did have a go at winning and wasnt satisfied with being 4’th,..

and goonermichael mate some days im better at hiding my hate for the new Owner and his slick henchman (?)azidis,and the fact that many gooners are willing to be ripped of for years to come like zombies..we shold be investing in Our team..NOT trying to act like a feckin bank,.and by investing i do not mean players like squllacci,senderos,cygan,almunia,park,silvestre..etc the list is endless…we are being build down…i need no further evidence..

and wenger..oh my..its really really sad to witness him these days,he is clearly not the manager to get us back on track..

276. Gooner In Exile says:

Yawn is that the time , good night all

Forgot to add : Ox, Koscielny, Vermaelen, Sagna, AA23 (the good one), Santos

277. Gooner In Exile says:

Before I go, GM Theo has one player to cross to. But I don’t think two or three options would help.

Apart from Djourou playing poorly was there any other reason he went off. Something was up, it was if he couldn’t run properly, does anyone know anything about that?

279. Gooner In Exile says:

Not seen anything LB but you’re right he looked very immobile

280. 26may1989 says:

Good evening all. Yes, I know, I’ve been very slack and have been ignoring the greatest Arsenal website there is. Apologies for that.

OK, I have’t read through others’ comments on today’s disappointment but I suspect I have some views on today’s game that will leave me a bit isolated.

First, for me Chamberlain showed both a superb degree of attacking potential AND a degree of positional immaturity that only confirms he’s still quite a long way short of being ready for regular first team action. I don’t want to slag off a player who has all the makings of a future star but his contribution to defending in the first half was woeful. Djourou was getting ripped to shreds for pace by Nani, yet Chamberlain consistently failed to come back, and when he did, he got caught the wrong side of the player he was marking on at least three occasions. Part of the reason Djourou was in the wrong place looked to me like he was compensating for not having the right support from his winger.

Second, I don’t think Djourou played that badly. Yes, I know I said he was getting shredded, and he was, but that’s because he’s a mediocre centre back filling in at full back, and was facing a fast, clever winger who sussed him, or rather his relative lack of pace. You can’t make someone run faster just by wanting them to run faster; Djourou (who I have often criticised) just didn’t have the pace to cope. His substitution was exactly the right move, and changed the whole shape of the game.

Third, I wasn’t keen on Arshavin coming on for Chamberlain (I’d have brought Benayoun on before Arshavin), but it wasn’t shocking that Chamberlain came off. Yes, he did well to create the chance for the goal, but he’d started to slip out of the game from half time up to the point of the goal, and as I said before, had a poor first half in terms of positional play. Given his assist, I would’ve liked Chamberlain to stay on a bit longer, to see what more he could do going forward, but the reaction of the fans to his substitution was nothing short of scandalous. Even if I’m wrong in my assessment of Chamberlain, it beggars belief, to think that self-indulgent booing might help drive the side on, when the game was finely balanced at 1-1. Players pick up what comes from the crowd, have we not learned that yet? And those in the crowd who I heard after the game saying we lost the game because Chamberlain was substituted, frankly they don’t know what they’re talking about.

I’m gutted by the result, it was a game we needed to win after the two previous defeats, but I’m more pissed off by the fans. I’ve been going to Arsenal games for over 30 years, and I can’t remember feeling more antipathy to the Gooner collective at home games than I do these days. I want to feel some sense of pride being in that crowd, but on days like this, all I feel is a bit of embarrassment.

None of which should take away from the obvious need to shore up the squad. The bench today was poor, we need more quality, obviously up front and at full back. That’s just stating the obvious though.

Anyway, I hope all you guys are well.

281. Gooner In Exile says:

Well said 26

282. allezkev says:

To me, the FA Cup game with Aston Villa, has now become a must win game…

Even after todays defeat, Arsenal are only 5 points behind an erratic Chelsea, and could still finish in the top-four.

I have to admit, that i’m not at all confident that they will, but it is still a possibility.

Some may argue, that the CL games with AC Milan are more important than the Aston Villa game. And from a financial viewpoint, they probably are.

But in reality, this Arsenal team, even a fully fit Arsenal team, are not, imho, equiped to win the CL.

And if, as i fear, Arsenal are not going to finish in the top-four, then the FA Cup, as we stand, remains our best opportunity of saving a season that is fast dying on it’s feet.

Arsenal’s last trophy was the FA Cup of 2005.

Maybe we need to win it again, to finally end this damned trophy drought?

A fine and impassioned comment.

I wasn’t there, but even on the telly the booing of the decision to take off Oxo was deafening.

This negativity in the ground has got to stop – the boo boys are contributing to the potential recurrence of a collapse in morale throughout the team, just like last year.

However, I have to disagree with you about the effect of the Oxo substitution. The kid was having a really good game and was tracking back defensively much better than Walcott (quite a lot of Djourou’s problems were during the times when Theo switched to right wing). The crowd were behind him (Oxo), he looked dangerous every time he got the ball and the wind was in his sails. After providing Robin’s assist he must have been feeling as if he could walk on water. Instead he was made to walk to the bench, to be replaced by our worst performing player of the season.

If RvP couldn’t understand it, neither can I.

Who knows what would have happened if Oxo had stayed on, but we can say with certainty that AA was weak and ineffective (as usual) in the build up to Utd’s winner. At the very least I feel Oxo would have made a more physical challenge in that move had he been still on the pitch.

I can’t see it as anything but a bad mistake by AW which took the momentum away from us and handed it back to them.

allezkev
    The FA Cup is surely our only realistic chance of a trophy this year.

I do still feel that with our fullbacks back, and with Jack, Arteta and Gerv back, we are capable of a strong finish in the league.

I’m looking forward to finishing above the Spuds so we can sing “10 points and you f****d it up” at them.

285. allezkev says:

Rocky, i’d love to finish above ‘them’ as well, but as much as it sticks in my throat, i have to admit that they have a very good team this year.

Hopefully, a flash in the pan… ;)

286. allezkev says:

And yes Rocky, a top-four finish has to be the priority and it is still very much attainable.

But if the worst came to the worst, i think i’d sign up for the view of Arsene holding the FA Cup over his head this coming May.

I still think the Spuds will slip. They’ve been astonishingly lucky with injuries (and with a lot of decisions early in the season when they were picking up points in games they deserved to lose).

They’re clearly a good team, but they’re punching above their weight at the moment and I could see one more defeat sending them into a bit of slump.

That said, it’s a big ask to make up 10 points on them.

288. pat says:

At least Ox has shown some willingness to take the ball past players and was pretty good in possession. He has shown more than Arshavins last 10 games in 3/4 of a game he was on.

I go back to Rafael being on a yellow = Ox could have forced something more I am sure. I don’t agree with the decision to sub him and I am sticking with it. IMO the substitution was a mistake and handed momentum back to the mancs as others have said.

However we did have 2 golden opportunities 1 each from RVP and Ramsey that should have been on target. Once again they were not taken. That and the other factors talked about were the difference today.

289. allezkev says:

Yeah, they did look pretty devestated at the final whistle today….

Hopefully it’ll be playing on their mind next weekend when they play Wigan at home.

Wigan are a funny team, occassionally they turn in a really top performance when you least expect it.
    Next weekend would be very welcome….

Long term, i can’t see it lasting, once Harry leaves, whether it’s to the FA or HMP…

290. oz gunner says:

great comments harry, very well said.

The substitution was poor, yes it may of worked but it wasn’t playing the percentages especially when AA is well below par.

So that’s szcz, song (at CB), and now the Ox who have had a baptism of fire against Man united. And all three acquitted themselves well on the big stage. 2 became regular and now Ox will be the third. Theo should be very worried about his starting position. I agree with the person who aid song needs to start games having had a couple of red bulls, because his energy levels are way to low for someone of his talents.

You compare the work-rate and eagerness of song and coq, and then walcott and ox. Yes it may be youthful exuberance but to me they both appear complacent. Calm heads are needed, but problems tactically and squad wise need to be rectified.

@ GM

loved that ‘ok now i’m off calm, piss off AA,theo….’ haha funny stuff when you get hot under the collar

291. oz gunner says:

wow just read a few comments on legrove…i think i died a little inside. the racism, vile dribble that is said on there is a joke. I hope no player ever sees that filth.

How can a ‘fan’ hope that we lose so that arsene will get the flick. thank you rasp and peaches

292. oz gunner says:

well said kelsey. One thing i don’t like is hearing arsene during the post match trying to justify the decision to take off ox

Bit worried about RVP’s position now, his facial expressions and distain at the sub was dreadful to see

oz.

I don’t think we should jump to conclusions about RVP just yet.he is a world class player but there are contracts to sort out with him,Walcott and Song and even Wenger himself in the not too distant future.

Will arshavin go in the Summer ? probably yes as will Chamakh and of course the others such as Bendtner,Vela,squillacci,Fabianaki,Denilson,Almunia and will lansbury return and will benyahoun be offered an extension to his loa. Personally i would let djourou go as well as he is nothing more than 4thchoice. Thats a hell of a transition period to come.

Spurs are of no interest to me.they are playing well and will get a top 4 .,maybe for one season as they will lose Harry and probably Modric and even Bale.At least they are motivated and were unlucky to lose yesterday.

I know TMHT will oppose my views and i would be gratefult o read what he thinks and LB aswell, a staunch Wenger supporter to express his views in detail.That’s what this site is all about, different views about a situation at the club which to me is at this moment of time is quite alarming.

Strange how a whole game has been reduced to a discussion about a substitution.

It was completely wrong for two reasons:

Firstly, its timing sucked the momentum from both the team and the crowd. It seemed as though we hadn’t even had a chance to sing and celebrate the goal before our own manager decided to hose down the celebrations.

Secondly, if it was a good idea to bring on our under-performing Russian captain (who is so completely shorn of confidence at the moment), then at least bring him on for the wide man who had had one of his worst performances of the season in a season littered with poor performances.

Morning all,
    Some very good comments on here since the game. My last point on the Ox substitution is that before it, I really believed we would go on to win. We had our tails up and a full head of steam. My comment on an impending implosion was in the heat of the moment, however, it must be a very bad thing if your captain and manager are not on the same wavelength.
    Here’s something to be positive about. Many suspect SK is in it for the money, well, no CL Footie will cost him an arm and a leg while a Pool or Newcastle are a sugar daddy away from making it very difficult to break back in. Therefore, SK probably realises what an opportunity lies before us with a whole week of the transfer window still open :-)

Does anyone know why the Blackburn game on Saturday 4th Feb is down to be a 1pm kick off? It doesn’t seem to be on TV.

298. Gooner In Exile says:

Think it’s tubes Chas….either no Victoria or no Picadilly they’re are also putting on some post match club activities to ease congestion.

299. Even after sleeping on it I hope we tell Theo where to stick his payrise. Arshavin will be gone so I don’t care about him. I think Wenger will go too.

Thanks GIE.

301. No Victoria line that weekend

GM,

what were you sleeping on ;) a hedgehog.

A couple of interesting thoughts up there all serious, although one brought a smile to my face “We are playing with the choke out” what a wonderful image. Back to the serious ones, “We might as well get rid of Djourou as he is only forth choice” while I understand the frustration this ignores the fact that we need a forth choice CB and it is not easy to get someone with EPL experience to come to the club, let alone stay at the club and play that role. And that is the only justification I can see for starting with the Swiss, had he been overlooked it would have signalled his exit in the same way as Senderos left. These are not glamorous players but we need the depth. Just look at what has happened to our backs — the same could happen to the centre backs.
    Chosing Djourou over Yanaris must have been a difficult decision for Wenger to have to make.

304. Gooner In Exile says:

The question with Theo is the same chicken and egg situation we had with Nasri last year.

Contract negotiations not to players liking, dip in form. What came first? Is it the same with Song?

To be honest this is where I think the separation between Wenger and contract negotiations is unhelpful. But it’s not like it’s different at other clubs. Look at Rooney/United saga last season.

If they are stalling Wenger should drop them. It won’t happen because Wenger will say he shouldn’t scupper himself for something that might or might not happen in a few years.

Now this is where I see the future and why it is important for fans to allow it to happen.
    Let Song go let Theo, AA23, JD, RvP, TR7, Squid, Diaby, Cham and probably a few others go.

Allow the youngsters Yennaris, Wilshere, Bartley, Afobe, Frimpong, Coq, Lansbury and other products of the youth team to take their place. And really enter a proper transition. Yes we would suffer a fall, but we would also have a team with Arsenal in their heart, then and only then will we truly start to be happy as fans again.

305. Choosing JD over Yennaris is a decision that a leader makes LB. Trying to massage egos at the expense of winning is what losers do.

306. GiE
    Theo isn’t really in a “dip in form” sometimes he flatters to decieve

And my thoughts on the substitution — I thought the booing crushed the team’s momentum not the actual player for player change.

My thoughts on Kroenke, hmmm tricky, I have a view on the reason why every other foreigner who has come into the EPL except Stan but there is one thing I am sure of and that is he is not going to start running up dept before he is the 100% owner, no one in their right mind would do that and the fact that he does not own the club out right is not his fault.

308. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Micky,
    Is It Stan or Wengers opportunity, I dont think Stan knows a corner flag from a goalpost !
    GiE,
    Agree with a lot of that, apart from RVP going, we still need some “Super Quality” in to lift the club. Is it a bit “chicken and egg”, do we have to sell first to buy, or can we buy first ?

309. Gooner In Exile says:

GM 9:19am :)

Altho I thought he had a good run at the start of this season.

Some people question his touch, I think there is not a lot wrong with it, it’s what he can do after he brings it under control that’s the issue.

Judging by his remonstrating with Ox early on over his misplaced pass, and generally a livelier first twenty from Theo than we’ve seen in a while I think it’s clear to see he knows he is under threat from the younger player. What Ox has that neither Theo or Gerv do is a threatening shot from distance.

GM

Yes, leaders make decisons, they are not always easy and it stricks me that chosing between Djourou and Yanaris was not an easy one.

Woke up this morning depressed an I hate that, sours the whole week.

Ok we lost – I can take losing. But it is the manner of the loss which is so infuriating. We were extremely fortunate to even be in the game after the first half – MU missed chance after chance.

So – we ride our luck and RvP gets a sitter which he misses. Ramsey a good chance which he skies. We were on a roll and the goals were sure to come. We score but unlike Fulham ad Swansea instead of pushing on and winning AW decides to change the team thereby halting the forward momentum.

Instead of saying he stands by his decisions perhaps AW could admit his decision was costly.

26. I disagree with you. Football like mush in life is about momentum. MU had it in the first half, AW tinkered and got us back into the game, then tinkered again and we lost it.

However, I agree entirely with you about the minority of the fans who boo our team. This comment would go into trash if I express exactly how I feel about them!

312. Gooner In Exile says:

That’s the thing GliC let’s forget the super quality for a moment. Let’s look at getting a bunch of players that leave it all on the pitch.

The Ox/Arsh fury has unfortunately overshadowed the great performance given by Yennaris yesterday. A fan playing for the club, like Jenkinson, like Wilshere, Frimpong. There is such a different look to them on the pitch than players such as Theo and AA23.

313. gooner lost in cornwall says:

GiE,
    So if we could only find a couple of “Super Quality ” fans ! :)

GIE. Are you suggesting RvP doesn’t give 100% or is fully committed to Arsenal?

I have seen nothing in his demeanor to suggest this. A decision not to talk about contract extension until summer when he can see the way the club is going forward is pragmatic rather than treacherous.

New Post …………………………

316. Fitness Reader…

[...]Simply the Best: Georgie Boy and Watson. Two Authentic Heroes. MU Pre-Match « Arsenal Arsenal[...]…