Arsenal vintage, 2011: Gunshot memories (or oxidised cordite clouds)

In looking back at 2011, in my capacity as a particularly grizzled campaigner of many seasons, I’ve decided to pick out some highs and lows that have stuck in my Peroni-soaked mind, Arsenalistically speaking.

We started 2011 very much in the title race and in contention for all four trophies and early on that year my favourite goal of the season was scored.

The winning goal against the Catalan Diving Association at Ashburton Grove scored by my favourite player, set up by my least favourite player/bench-warmer, was my highlight of the year. The flowing counter attack that led to this goal was a sensational end to the first leg of the game shown on ITV, although they had to spoil it by damming us with faint praise from Clive I-love-ManU Tyldesley, thusly:

“A Barcelona goal scored against Barcelona.”

The media can be so far up another team’s sphincter at times that all rationality is lost.

Another so called defining moment a lazy media decided to pick up on was the late defeat at Wembley at the hands of Brum FC, then managed by the purple nosed alchy mini-me, McLeish, one of many of the evil Glaswegians acolytes plying their trade in the Premier League.

Who can forget (actually who is trying to forget?) Ferguson cuffing Kozzer on the head after his clanger allowed old man Martins to hand Brum FC their first trophy in an age?

Classy stuff from another Ferguson (surely must be related to the dark overlord of Govan?).

A painful moment and one I was reminded of when a group of Brum FC fans began to goad my younger son, who was wearing his Arsenal 2010-11 home shirt, while on holiday in the south west the following month.

Brum FC’s subsequent relegation and the arrest of their owner on money laundering charges proved that football isn’t always a justice free zone.

The agony didn’t stop as the next day Bolton scored a 90th minute winner to finish off our title hopes at the Reebok as apparently in the hotel lobby all the other holidayers(deep in the Bolton territory of Burnham-on-sea) were Trotters as they celebrated our demise with glee.

The path of a Gooner is, as we all know, strewn with strife and scorn from jealous unknowing rival supporters.

A case in point being Tony Pu(gil)lis’s team of hoofers and hyperthyroid Carlton Palmer type players who compounded our misery with a 3-1 trouncing at the S*itannia a fortnight later.

By then our season had petered out (culminating in the last home game featuring a protest march before a defeat to Aston Villa) and only the good start to that season prevented our loss of a top 4 spot.
The manner of our late season collapse was cause enough for gooner melancholy yet the summer transfer window continued the travails.

The late(ish) exit of the homesick Spaniard left a gaping creative hole in the first team which has either not been filled or was filled late depending whether Arteta is seen as a direct replacement or not, an argument for another day however of the new arrivals he is my favourite.

In the way that a new girlfriend may have something about her that reminds you of a previous girlfriend you have good memories of, Arteta was like a reprise of the homesick Spaniard that made moving on from our ex number 4 a bit easier.

The acrimonious departure of the world class bench warmer referred to earlier was less a cause for sadness and more a sign of the times, in my opinion.

The late flurry of arrivals into London Colney was preceded by the slaughter at Old Toilet(a week after a painful home defeat at the hands of the ‘dippers) where a decimated Arsenal team travelled north west and lost 8-2, a coincidence that many of the phone hackers (journalists) proved Wenger was panic buying. An example of lazy, simplistic thinking from writers with an agenda to adhere to, regardless of facts or the application of intelligence.

By then our year had well and truly bottomed out and while the subsequent recovery has given cause for optimism it is tinged with the caveat of recent draws against lower ranked teams. The leadership style and sensational form of our present Captain Robin and our improved resilience will need to serve us well at the business end of the season as the days begin to lengthen and things hot up on and off the pitch.

A highlight of the season has to be the elimination of the teams from the so called power house of English football, Manchester, from the elite European competition, and the subsequent schadenfreude. Whilst most supporters of other teams would be ecstatic at this being gooners I sensed we then indulged in a bout of, if I may borrow from the Rose the Sage-Stalker from Two and a Half Men, “Glaukenschtoken” – guilt at enjoying the schadenfreude.

The sight of Fergie of Red Nose flouncing out of a Champions League press conference where a rogue member of the Press pack suggested maybe the Old Toilet crew were struggling in Europe was comedy gold when viewed in the context of their subsequent exit into the teams that populate the Channel 5 trophy.

Due to results for Abu Dhabi FC preceding the last group game their exit was more expected yet the Old Toilet team’s departure was the cherry on the top of a tasty Mancunian cake.

The Robin hatrick at the bus top in Fulham is also something to cheer us up in the bleak midwinter we find ourselves in now, especially the swerve and arc which Robin imparted onto his third goal.
The image of him kneeling in front of the always magnificent away support, arms perpendicular in supplication it seemed, was a memorable and vivid image encapsulating our slow and painful recuperation from the early season traumas.

As 2011 draws to a close I’ll not be too sorry to see it go, from an Arsenal point of view, and I look ahead to 2012 for better times.

Charybdis1966

178 Responses to Arsenal vintage, 2011: Gunshot memories (or oxidised cordite clouds)

1. Morning all, arghh just spotted a typo Rasp – the 3rd para from the end should read “Old Toilet team’s departure” – sorry !

OK chary, amended :P

3. Thanks Raspers.
    I love that pic of Robin at the Bridge – and thanks for pepping up the post with the pictures.

I’ve been looking forward to this Chary post, and was wondering how many references to Old Toilet would appear. Our man has not disappointed his fans.
    Nice work Chary.

5. I have to get them in there MDi89 – it’s the law !

6. It’s an Arsenal blog so I don’t like to harp on about other teams supporters – well except the scummers obviously – but I have to laugh when I think about us getting beaten in mankville and both of them being dropped out of the Champions League :lol: :lol: :lol:

7. Anyway …….. ‘He’s coming home’ :P

……. and I’ve just found that I can still watch the whole of the Barca home tie and the chavs away game on Arsenal player :)

8. Yeah Peachy, you have to keep back scrolling on the side bar menus – it’s where I go to see the chav game re-runs.

Anyway, talking of TH14(or should that be TH12 now?) Wenger said that’s he’s 2 weeks away from match fitness – so he should be available for the game at Swansea maybe ?

9. When I moved house, those nice people at sky offered me a new box which was very kind of them but they took away my Barca game :(

10. Public announcement – if you’ve booked tickets for the QPR game through the Ticket Exchange you may not get the ‘Ticketfast’ email and will have to go to the box office to collect paper tickets :( :( :(

What’s the point of having an electric ticketing system if you then decide to issue paper tickets????? I shall be complaining

11. I do wonder how long they’ll keep archived matches available for viewing on Arsenal player.

You mean an “ElectrONic” ticketing system Peachy ? ;)

I wonder why they are not allowing you to print off the ticket for Ticketfast like I did for the Wolves game. Strange.

12. Hmmmnn what’s he been doing in training then if he’s not match fit :( Come on Thierry, get with the programme …………. we want to see you not dream about you.

13. chary – they have an archive section, that’s where the Barca game is along with all last seasons Champions Lge games. They seem to have about 5 years of games on there. I suppose once they’re loaded there’s no reason to remove them just keep adding more on.

The archive section is in the old format.

14. Too much of me on here, you’d think I had nothing else to do. Catch up later ;)

15. It’s great having you here Peachy, otherwise it’d just be me droning on.
    I just wonder how much data storage the Arsenal Player archive servers will have.

16. goonermichael says:

Peaches
    You used to be able to download the game and keep it.

17. Hi gm – It says you can download it, can I store it on my pc then? OOOOWAH how exciting

18. Red Arse says:

Nice on CharyB, :-)

Extremely well written in your own incomparable style and brought back memories that had already started to fade (for me anyhoo) as I tend to the futuristic ‘what’s next’ syndrome. :-)

19. evonne says:

Chary – start writting the next one, this post is so good that I want more!!

20. evonne says:

Peaches – don’t complain, please, paper tickets are the real deal, they are so nice and probably collectable. If anybody has any, please don’t throw them away, I will provide good home and plenty of tlc

21. Red Arse says:

Errmm, Peacher, you have written more comments this morning than in the whole of last year’s Posts combined!

Are you in love? :-)

22. evonne says:

he’s coming home,
    he’s coming home
    Thierry’s coming home :)

23. Gooner in Exile says:

Morning all, nice summary of the year just gone. Although so hard to look at that picture of Koz and Ches. We can only hope for

My final word on Thierry, if he is a success how big will the hole he leaves be? Will be very disappointed if it’s the only signing, don’t say I didn’t warn you all. I should like Irish BR happy to get the chance to see him play live for us. Surely it’s not what the “we’ve kept some reserve funds for January” quotes from Wenger and Gazidis was intended for.

24. Thanks GiE – Wenger has already ruled out permanant signings in January unless someone leaves so I fear TH12 will be our only signing.

Redders – a foot in the past and looking ahead is a good way to go mon ami.

Evonne – this is my 22nd post for AA so the creative juices are starting to run a bit dry in this old boy. :)

25. evonne says:

Micky – i don’t have virtual desktops, just a couple of laptops :)
    I have searched, found and read some very good reviwes about Dexpot, but have not tried it.

It’s usually a good idea to upgrade to the latest version of any software, but Windows 7 have own problems and patches are still being released. If I were you, I wouldn’t upgrade it, as you can find that some components can stop working with the new operating system.

26. evonne says:

Chary – nonsence, keep writing :) you are a star!

or is it a case of too few Peronis??

27. I’ll try Evonne(especially if you are the one doing the post volunteering duties) but I’m so laaaazzeeeeeee !

Looks like the only thing holding up the TH12 deal is the insurance – maybe Gazidis should “Go compare!”

28. Red Arse says:

Hi Evonne, :-)

Having read yesterday’s comments and yours this morning, I find my thoughts on Titti’s ‘coming home’ somewhat ambivalent!

[For Oz -- my definition of 'ambivalent' = not sure if it is a good idea - or not - but also hopeful it will work] :-)

Pros:
    Fills a potentially serious problem at CF.
    Great to see Henry back, anyway.
    Could raise the level of confidence in the Arsenal squad, and increase the worry and fear in the opposition teams.
    Titti knows AW’s plays and will bed in swiftly.
    Knows how to play in the EPL, and is still physically a great specimen.

Cons:
    Mitigates against the purchase of a new, longer term quality striker in the January Transfer Window.
    If the loan move is not successful, it will allow the dogs of war who hate AW renewed licence to savage him.
    Will inevitably start the “cheapskate Arsenal” jibes running with some “loyal” bloggers.
    May upset some of the younger players (Afobe/Oxo/Park etc) if it prevents then getting a run in the team.

Both of these lists could be extended, of course, and there are other factors in play to justify the loan decision, but also bring in to question the Summer purchases, but that will suffice for now.

Where do I stand? Well, unsurprisingly, I find myself in the camp of that well known, tall, party pooper GIE ( :-) ) and leaving aside the emotional element of the loan, I do not think this is anything other than a mistaken attempt to bridge a forseeable failing of foresight!

GIE and I might have come to the same conclusion, but I hasten to add that his reasons may have been very different to those I am expressing!! :-)

Anyway, there is only the three of us about this morning so I am safe!! :-)

29. Gooner in Exile says:

Damn now there are three of us in the “Just Say No to Titi” minority.

Chary I hoped Arsene was just lowering valuations at other clubs with those comments.

The other issue here is it has been said recently that Sagna and Gibbs expected back by end of January, when have we heard this before AAers? So no full backs and no forwards. Not happy bunny here had convinced myself we would be doing some business and believe we need to do more than a “swansong” signing.

Arsene always talks about looking forward, can’t help but think this decision is based mainly on the past.

I would be happier with no business than this.

30. Gooner in Exile says:

I might have to write a post I am in fact fuming!

31. pat says:

@peaches Its all right Henrys coming back….

32. pat says:

@peaches was also wondering why 2 weeks for him to be match fit – too much xmas dinner?

33. Red Arse says:

Slow down, GIE, young man. :-) [origin: Brian Clough]

The signings on loan of Titti, as seems likely, and of another decent long term forward in January are not mutually exclusive! And both may yet happen.

My advice would be to hold fire on venting your ire in a Post until things become somewhat clearer.

We would not want a member of our famous ‘dissenting trio’ to be charged with the accusation of ‘crying before he was hit’ would we? :-)

34. evonne says:

GiE – why are you fuming?? Because of TH?

35. pat says:

unless the pin is pulled on Arshavin (he will get until the end of the season to come good maybe) I have a feeling that we wont see any more additions. Thats my 50c…

36. Wonderman says:

Afternoon all and seasons greetings to you.

Great post Chary, I have to say my favourite goal of this year has to be Arshavin against Barcelona. I was at the game and the atmosphere that night when the goal went in was indescribable.

On Titi….great bit of business in my opinion for the following reasons
    A) another proven finisher at the club, which we need!!
    B) wont need bedding in
    C) I believe will serve as an inspiration to the younger players ( not many will have played/trained with a player as decorated and gifted as he)
    D) will only cost two months wages

For me the one thing that needs to be managed sensitively is Van P’s captaincy, Wenger needs to ensure that he is not undermined in anyway

Ideally I would sign Podolski, but I don’t believe that deal would be possible just before the Euros

37. VCC says:

Charybdis1966. A very enjoyable post.
    Boy how right you are, there were some highs and lows to this year. Lets all hope 2012 brings better fortune the The Mighty Arsenal.
    If (?) Wenger brings in a top striker this January I think the loan deal regarding Henry will be fine. Have my doubts though. I can’t remember a time when us Gooners are relying on one player as much as we are right now (Van Persie). If he gets injured and NO other striker is purchased we can kiss good bye to Champions league next year. Surely investing some money in a quality forward will have pay back time on qualification money alone.

38. pat says:

Cmon guys – we get the chance to have back one of the greatest Arsenal players ever! You all know how great he is – he wont be the same Thierry Henry, but I cant wait to see him in the red and white again. I think he will still have the magic.

39. pat says:

I understand that its the worry about not getting more than just Henry to boost the attaching ranks is the problem. I dont know why but as I just said I think that will be it and their wont be any more business. If there isnt going to be any more though we might as well get Chambo and Park in a few more games. Arshavin may fire again but we dont know how long it will take. I am afraid that Chamakh better just have the tournament of his life at the African Nations Cup. I think Wengers stuborn/loyal nature will see him persist with those players (Arshavin / Chamakh) just hope we get more squad rotation

40. pat says:

anyone got the full rundown of who we lose to the ANC – or is Gerv and Chamakh is it?

41. Wonderman/VCC – thanks guys.

Pat – I believe he has just come back fron holiday and hasn’t ben training a while and you are right, it’s only Chamakh and Geronimo we lose to the African Nationalism Cup.

GiE – my view is that if it’s only TH12 we’re getting on loan thsn that is not enough. TH12 + others is ok however; just keepnig my minority in a minority status intact. :)

Firstly, may I wish everyone a HNY and hope you all had a super Xmas.

Things in RaddyWorld went a bit awry but a huge thank you to all who took time to write to me.

TH14 (or 12). To me this a no-brainer. The mere fact that AW wants to take TH is evidence of his awareness of the need for a striker. Should Henry perform well (and I am sure he will) AW will have yet more evidence to put to the Board and the money will be forthcoming.

As to the idea that this is a backward step …. How? Will a 2 month own stop AW signing another striker? Are you so much in doubt of AW’s abilities?

In the highly unlikely event of TH failing, what have we lost? Perhaps TH’s reputation may suffer but it cannot sully his Arsenal heritage.

If nothing else, the opportunity for the youngsters to play alongside a Living Legend is worth every penny IMO.

Chary. Fine post. As always, it was good to meet you and chew the fat about obscure HM bands!

44. To those who think they are in the minority I would say unless you really think the Henry deal is pants then you’re not really in the minority. Practically everyone has said – me included – that we need another forward.

Thierry will be a great boost the team, have the crowds singing his name and will, hopefully, be a great bonus to have coming off the bench and I for one can’t wait to see him :oops:

If there are no other reasonable offers around in terms of a striker then those who think they are in the minority should be thrilled to have Thierry as an option surely!!!!!!!

45. Wonderman says:

Those of you who are looking for signings, Arshavin is being lined up to take Gervinhos starting place in his absence with probably Rio and The Ox as backup. I can’t see a signing in that department

With Robin, Titi, and Park with possibly Afobe coming back, again I can’t see a signing upfront either.

There will not be any midfield or defensive signings IMO as we are over subscribed in those departments and whilst I would agree in the lack of acceptable quality of some players, I can’t remember a season when there has been much movement in January. I reckon Chamahk and Squil get moved on in the summer along with Rosicky with Chamahk and Rosicky being replaced . Until then fellow goners I think what we have is what we battle the rest of the season with

46. Welcome home Big Raddy :)

47. TotalArsenal says:

Superpost Chary! It is so typically you to point out the non-qualification of the Manc clubs for the next round in the CL, as one of the year’s highlights LMFHO :D

You are right it has not been a great Arsenal year, especially from March until September it has been dire. You capture this very well in your post. The highlights for me are (in no particular order):

1. The home win against Barca
    2. The home wins against Chelsea and MU
    3. The away win against Chelsea
    4. The 2 qualification games against Udinese
    5. The away win against Marseille
    6. The home win against Dortmund
    7. The new Arsenal with a lot of FEETT
    8. The captaincy of RvP
    9. The development of our spine
    10. The wall of ARS
    11. RvP’s incredible goal scoring (quantity and quality)
    12. Koscielny’s breakthrough and Mertesacker’s arrival
    13. The desire of sheer joy in football of Arteta (A Treat)
    14. The calmness and creativity of Santos
    15. The hunger of Vermaelen
    16. The cockiness and fear-invoking qualities of Szczesny
    17. The tigerish tenacity of young Jenkinson
    18. The Gerv-RvP-Theo attacking machine
    19. That performance of Wilshire against Barca at home
    20. Songinho’s assist against Dortmund
    21. Theo’s stumble and rise and subsequent finish against Chelsea
    22. RvP’s winner against Everton
    23. Arshavin’s goal against Barca
    24. Benayoun’s header/winner against AV (you could not make it up)
    25. Ox’s CL goal
    26. Ramsey’s winner against Marseille
    27. Our ‘second string’ performance in CC against the Oilers
    28. Arsene’s ability to manage a crisis
    29. The incredible re-siging of TH14
    30. The discovery of ArsenalArsenal with so many like-minded, passionate and knowledgeble Gooners!

Despite no pots, there has been plenty to enjoy in 2011-2012!
    :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

48. pat says:

I think given the current spirit of the team and the desire of the man himself, Henry giving less than %200 to arsenal is very unlikely. I think we are in for some exciting times – it all depends what happens in Henrys head – he could light things up (or not!).

I just hope if we do get a new signing we go for proven quality – Podolski or higher, not some random… If the new player is not going to be that much better than giving Park or Ox a go, whats the point?

49. pat says:

21. Theo’s stumble and rise and subsequent finish against Chelsea

for some reason when I saw that goal I couldn’t stop laughing for about 5 minutes – such a crazy goal! One of the best moments of the best game of this season so far. Can I add a 31?

31. John Terry face plant after RVP wins the ball ahead of him in Arsenals away win against Chelsea. Second goal of the hatrick I think!

50. Good to see you at the game as well Radders, I enjoyed the trip down NWOBHM memory lane too.

Thanks TotalA, and a great vignette of your highlights of the year too, I especially should have mentioned the joy that Arteta shows when he is playing for us.

Compare that to the homesick spaniard who gave the impresssion that he had been kidnapped and enslaved.

51. TotalArsenal says:

Pat, your ’31’ is spot on ‘She fell over, She fell over’ (Chas’ Asian fans’ video was totally awesome!).

Chary, full agreed on Arteta – his smile when he is being interviewed is priceless.

52. TotalArsenal says:

Good to see you back Raddy. You have been missed, although GiE and Chary did some great PM reports in the meantime! Hope your personal situation has now improved!

53. Red Arse says:

I elected, tongue in cheek, to ‘join’ the minority movement after my usual deliberations, and listed a few of the pro and con positions and also mentioned that there were other factors which had to be considered but which I had not mentioned due to the length of the comment.

There is nothing I have read since that contradicts the items on that list. As Peaches rightly says, the views of the ‘minority’ group are not so very different from the views of the ‘majority’. Where we differ is in the conclusions reached.

I have said that the loan signing of Titti and the possible signing of a new striker are not mutually exclusive, and would be my preferred option, with the caveat that I doubt a class striker can be found, at a reasonable price, in the Jan Trf Window.

One of the items I did not mention was my perception of the inclination of AFC, in recent years, to sign, on loan, ex-players in the Jan Tfr Windows, as ‘cover’. Lehman, Sol Campbell.

This has frequently led (as I said in my list) to the AW haters accusing him of penny pinching and not foreseeing, before the start of the season, what to them was the obvious lack of depth in the squad.

I really cannot stomach another bout of vicious personal attacks on AW, so I hope that in addition to the loan of Thierry, we do sign another CF, my preferred solution.

Sorry if my logical approach offends anyone, and I am certainly happy to accept the opinions of others.

Welcome back to the fold, Raddy, and I hope the family health problems have been resolved satisfactorily. :-)

54. Red Arse says:

What a brilliant listing of memorable moments and events in 2011, TA! :-)

Did you remember the time sensitive points (4; 23; 26; etc) or did you have to look them up?

I’m not sure I want to know the answer — it will only show me up!! :oops:

55. VCC says:

Good health to you and your’s Raddy.

56. ozgunner says:

@ Chary

great year in review, i also want to move on from 2011. Love the comedy that you add to your posts. Beating Barca was definently my favourite moment (at 4 in the morning i celebrated like i’d won the lotto). Worst moment was the RVP red card + loss (i really thought we had them out the door!)

@ BR

Welcome back, i hope all is well! Perfect timing aswel, we all could do with a BR pre-match, poor AA’ers would have had to suffer through mine!

57. ozgunner says:

@ RA

thank you for the definition, however there is a reason why i have a dictionary.com app on my phone, and it’s largely because of you haha. I love learning new words that i never knew existed.

58. TotalArsenal says:

Hi RA,

My seven year old daughter is competing with me for recording space on BT-Vision. She summoned me to start deleting my many recorded Arsenal football matches, so she has more space for the Horrid Henries, Tracey Beakers, Jadie J’s, How do they do its, etc etc. As a result, I have been through a great many games again recently and was able to re-live the year 2011 so to speak. So, as per Johan Cruijff’s wise words: ‘Every disadvantage has an advantage’! I am sure though I have missed out on many other highlights.

59. Thanks OZ, when we’ve had so many dark moments this season I tried to lighten the mood with stuff like being riddled with glaukenschtoken for having enjoyed the schadenfreude.

60. ozgunner says:

@ TA

it’s ok Micky and i have already found the perfect striker to add to our squad along with Henry…none other than the french international…Olivier Giroud. I know torres and Carrol were shockers but they were panic buys and a half. I have a lot of faith in arsene when it comes to buying players, just wish it happened sooner in transfer windows.

61. Herb'sArmy says:

Welcome back BR, hope everything’s ok and that you had a great christmas.
    Belated birthday greetings Rasp.
    Great post Chary, following on from Jamie’s excellent tribute to a true legend.
    Happy New Year fellow Gooners!

62. TotalArsenal says:

An impressive find by the Micky-of-Oz scouting foundation. Wenger are you listening?!

63. TotalArsenal says:

Happy new year to you Herb! :)

64. Thanks Herb and a Happy New Year(in advance) to you also.

65. ozgunner says:

@ Chary

haha it works, cheers for the laughs. I’m always up for some manu bashing also

@ TA

I often download games from the net and copy them to dvd disc’s. That way you can keep them forever. If the fuzz are reading this i don’t condone pirating whatsoever, also RA told me to do it!

66. Gooner in Exile says:

I am very much in agreement with RA.

And I think my ire is heightened by the glee with which Titis signing is being welcomed. To me it is a case of ” that will do to appease the crowds”. And it appears to be working….as many have said more vociferously than me we cannot rely on RvP staying fit to see us into 4th spot (or higher). We need a back up striker for 5 months and further. If the dreaded sale of RvP happens we will be forced into breaking the bank to find a replacement, if we get Podolski now he has 5 months where he doesn’t need to be the main goal getter and time to acclimatise.

67. GiE – as you said earlier we can only hope that Wenger’s comments about “not buying unless someone leaves” are merely a valuation lowering ploy aimed at the selling clubs.
    If not, I fear I shall start sulking as January drags on. :(

68. @ Micky and Oz

Thank you for tracking down a suitable transfer target, i’ve got my best scouts onto it. He looks very promising, and judging by his youtube video he is a handful in the air, and quite a tour de force, the Crème de la crème (looks like i bought the wrong striker in MC). If there’s anything i can help you two with just give me a buzz. I’ve contacted the finace department in regards to setting you both up with a starting salary based on what i give gilles grimandi. Perhaps you can help with:

* finding a suitable team for frimpong to go on loan
    * a new winger to replace AA
    * a new backup LB, because Gibbs is giving me the willies
    * a new CM because i hear wolfsburg want Rosicky, and Diaby is to injury prone (but C’est la vie)

Thank you in advance, your pal Arsene. Au revoir

P.S arsenal will be a Force majeure once again!

69. VCC says:

ozgunner. 3:29. Nice one. About time someone shopped that RA. He will have such a fright when visited by the Fuzz this evening. He should be kept off the streets he is a menace to society.

Thanks for the post chary and nice to see Raddy back.

We managed a whole year without conceding to a post by Red Arse, what a coup ;)

Plenty of ins and out by the Summer if I understand correctly.

The biggest under achievers so far this season has to be Chelsea and the Spurs have yet more than half a season to keep their momentum going.God that modric is ugly ;).

We are written off annually so no surprise there and allowing for everything finishing third with the CL trophy in our cabinet would be quite a reasonable season.

71. TotalArsenal says:

GiE, chill out man :) It is very unlike you to jump to conclusions and lose your so well-regarded, normal cool: the TW has not even opened yet properly! Maybe we should discuss this next week in a separate post, but my question to you is: do we need a back-up striker to RvP i.e. a better no.2 than Chamakh, or should we change the system – or ‘culture’ – in which we are so over-reliant on our central striker to score all the goals, i.e. is it not time to change the system so Gervinho, Theo, Arteta-Ramsey-Song, the Ox, AA etc start scoring the majority of the goals…?

72. TotalArsenal says:

In addition to my last comment: you said yourself yesterday that we are not scoring enough goals compared to last season and our competitors. Therefore, is finding a very good back-up striker the most important action for Arsene right now?

73. Sounds like chelsea will be getting Hulk (i player i’d love to see at arsenal). Life must be easy as a manager if you get given enough money to buy cahill, hulk + more just like that.

You’re right kelsey, midric is uglier than sin!

74. Gilles G says:

Oz & Micky, would you like to disappear in a Cul-de-Sac, monde dieu? Leave the scouting to me, or else…

75. Ha Ha, Basel have not been ejected from the Champions League (as Sion have been punished by the Swiss FA) and therefore no last minute chance for ManUre to re enter the ECL.

Don’t we all love the sound of crying Mancs in the morning/afternoon ? :)

76. Gilles G says:

Oz, isn’t really nice of Abramovic to allow his annual manager to spend a small fortune in January before he gets royally booted out five months later? :)

77. TotalArsenal says:

Chary, what a fitting development to your today’s post! :)

78. I’m sure old bacon face was secretly hoping they’d sneak back into the Champions League somehow TotalA.

Ha ha !

79. ozgunner says:

haha Gilles that is true, You would think he would start offering smaller contracts, because either way AVB is in for a nice pay day. I hope the bloke arranges pre nuptial aggreements!

It’s as though Abramovic throws money at managers half way through the season in a last ditch attempt. Soon there will be no managers left to sign

GIE. I am surprised at your negativity regarding TH14. I see no down side.

Your argument about the potential departure of RvP is unrealistic as we must do everything to ensure he stays. If that means signing a better backup striker or better MF’s then so be it. Or should we spend a huge amount on Podolski who would be a bench warmer awaiting an injury to RvP. Ryo and the Ox are such good prospects that they will surely get chances should other of our speedsters get injured. Then there is Campbell who looks as though he is sure to play some part next season. And Afobe who looks a fine prospect.

However, despite the previous paragraph I do think we will try and sign another CF in the summer when Chamakh and others leave.

81. Thierry Henry says:

Bon Jour Mon Gonorrhea`s,
    Va Va Voom Titi`s in da room ! :)
    I az been a silent AAer for Sex Month`s now, So police foreskin moi English.
    I iz juice waiting four da Legal stuffing to be salted and Ice will be a Gonorrrhea again !. I hope tobe scorring quicker than JT in Wank Bridge`s boudoire .
    I feel az zo I no ewe whorereddy .
    Rouge rectum, ee iz so clever, zome ov them words, az ee swallowed da Hieroglyphic`s ? .Enuff to blow ze fuse in Stephen Hawking .
    Thierry Mankini, Zis guy iz Foutre Mad !. I need to speek to ewe, I iz finking of making use of your container load of Syrups, I wanks to make bikini`s wiv zees beavers, Thierry`s Beaverkini`s az a niece ringpiece to it, non ?.
    And E..Va..Va.. Vonne, I eez seeing ewe getting sexcited earlier !, Je Taime E..Va..Va..Vonne.
    Cornwaland, Now whillst ewe lot av been creme de la creme your budgie smugglers over ze last 2 daze, diss “award winning” cockerknee ad ze foreskin to see vis back in “Nov 20th @5:04pm. Only to be ricedicled by Total Van Arsenal @Nov 20th, 5:29pm, norty VanMan.
    Gie, do not ze worri, I iz better van Chumpmakh, chimpmakh,crapmakh wotz iz name ?. I av ad a lot of prat tiz playing wiv moi bulls in NY. :shock:

Au revoir, fellatio gonorrhea`s

congrats on 2 fantastic post`s over last 2 day`s

82. Delaps towel says:

Balls ,balls all i ever do is clean his effing balls ! what thanks do i get ?

83. The REAL Arsene Wenger says:

ARSENE WENGER’S DIARY

Bon Soir, mes amis,

I cannot see very well but I notice everyzing.

My boyz – zey are playeeng ver well. Just a leedle beet leggy.
    Zey are tired-but of course – zey are shaggerd out.
    Eet is because zis minority of jiants zey are zo — mmm ‘ow do you Eengleesh say eet? ah, mais oui, zey are seely peelocks!!
    Zut, Titti will show zem ow to technicaly play jig-a-jig And zee futball at zee same time! Zeempels!

Je ne suis pas – non, zut alors — in Eengleesh — I am not a skinnyflint – I buy two papers everyday. Zat is beeg time spending, or my name eet is not Arsene Wenger, n’est-ce pas?
    So, my papier seller, ee eez appy. my players, zey are appy — what is eet wiz zees minority? Sacre bleu!!

Do not tell anyperson – zis is top top secret, you understand? I ave met a cheeky leetle feminine people.
    Unfortunatement, my wife – she has thrown me out on my eer — mine girlfriend she ees so ugly – I ave thrown er out on er eer.
    But now, I ave a delicioso bint and she eez a leedle bit leggy too – just like the Arsey boyz.
    Now I am a veery appy man – no more can Twat Nose Fergie call me a French Vinegar Face — mon dieu zat man eez a sheet!

Until zee next Diary – au revoir – see you soon Gooner eyes!!

84. Terry`s syrup`s says:

Listen towel , think yourself lucky !. We`ve been stuck in a container since the gooners last won a trophy ! He doesn`t brush us beavers no more since he had his transpant, absolute neglect !.
    syrups against transplants, join the SLO , syrupinian liberation organization !

85. goonermichael says:

TA
    Fantastic comment 2.00

86. Kroenke`s seamless "i cant see the join" syrup says:

Terry`s syrup`s,
    dont worry fluffers of diferant muvver`s, stan spends a fortune on syrup`s, why do you think he spends nothing with Arsenal !

I ask you this Mancini home wrecker,
    Toupee or not Toupee, that is the Question.

87. The REAL Arsene Wenger says:

I em not sure why you cannot make up zee mind mon petit garcon.

88. Good point TA @ 4.04 – why has it been mostly RvP scoring? Maybe it would always have been like that if he’d been fit in previous seasons? But it does seem very strange that a team that scored goals from so many different positions now seems reliant on a Centre Forward.

89. The REAL Arsene Wenger says:

I am so sorry Kroenke Bonker – je suis desolee — I thort you say ‘i cannot see the john’, now I see — oui, I can sumtimes see — you have saying ‘I cannot seeing the join’ — zut alors – Terry Mankini ee is made of plaster? Non?

90. stan`s syrup says:

Real Arsene,
    I know what`s going on in his head, we`re that close !. He only employ`s you because he`s after your fine full head of hair, but i`ve been talking to the SLO, and I know the truth, we have video evidence of you making frequent visits, kerbcrawling around the “traitorous Mancini`s container” Spam Wenger .

91. Gladiator Stan says:

I`m Syruptacus !

92. The REAL Arsene Wenger says:

Now you ave reely upsets me Stan! I am goin ome to throw zee darts at Sir Red Schnozz’s picture hanging in mine kazzie – you understand?

Au revoir, mon tightarsing peelock!!

93. TotalArsenal says:

‘I ask you this Mancini home wrecker,
    Toupee or not Toupee, that is the Question.’

What would the world be without The GLiC?

Followed by: ‘To pee or not to pee? – ow is zee Bladder? You pay im and you can pee anywhere n’est-ce pas?

And what would the world be with the Cul Rouge?

Two brilliant nutters :D :D

94. TotalArsenal says:

GLiC, you were spot on back in November: you predicted TH14 signing for us and I declared you madder than TMHT. Well done you.

95. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Total,
    Have you looked back at Nov 20th @5:04pm and 5:29pm comments, Looks like this Nutter could be right ! :lol:

96. TA – your parking spot has been reserved for you ;)

Superb post, Chary. We must have more, please.
    A fine and amusing summary of 2011.

Re-reading Fever Pitch, I have to agree with Nick Hornby when he says that we all know the year doesn’t end in December and begin in January, but ends in May and starts again in August. Mine does anyway. :)

That photo of the game against the Catalan Diving Association reminded me that the whole of the lower tier was stood up for much of the second half. The atmosphere is so much better when people stand. Sitting encourages people to sit and moan, waiting to be entertained.

98. gooner lost in cornwall says:

oops ,you beat me to it , you are still the Total Tactician and even Lord Wenger gets it wrong sometimes. :)

Herb,

I’ve found the perfect screen saver for you. :)

Chapman statue

I meant desktop background, of course.

101. That game was so much more than a game though wasn’t it ……. the whole day was full of excitement ……… just thinking about taking your seat made the heart flutter ……………. loved it ;)

102. gooner lost in cornwall says:

As Titi said before, Two fantastic post`s over last two days, Top mark`s Jamie and Chary .

103. I’m very disappointed :( Thierry was re-tweeting people but he stopped when I tweeted him :( :( :(

104. It’s real shame that GiE isn’t going to the game tomorrow, I’m pretty certain I could beat him into submission about Thierry …….. RHWP rules ok …. :lol:

105. TotalArsenal says:

Peaches, you are a star! Will we meet at Evonne’s and travel together, or is it easier for you to meet up at the Tavern?

106. TotalArsenal says:

Peaches, I think GiE might need some Thierry Loving Care rather than being beaten into submission :)

107. Better to meet at the Tavern, Arsenal have managed to not email me the tickets so we’re going to pick them up first in case theres a queue later on. Do you remember how to get to the Tavern?

108. TotalArsenal says:

Ok Peaches. I don’t realy remember the way to the Tavern, but I will get there, no worries.

109. TotalArsenal says:

Ancelotti new manager of Paris Saint Germain. Nice club for him, and Arsene is safe with us for a while longer!

110. TotalArsenal says:

Chas, you are a cruel man. When are we getting the lovely Nigella back?

Nice quote I found.

“When you’re dealing with someone who only has a pair of underpants on, if you take his underpants off, he has nothing left – he’s naked. You’re better off trying to find him a pair of trousers to complement him rather than change him.” ~ AW

112. What kelsey? What does that mean?????

Hi Kelsey.

What does it mean?

114. Thank goodness for that @Raddy :lol:

115. Must have something to do with working in a menswear shop? No?

I can see Mr Wenger serving in the Men’s Dept at Grace Brothers

117. Red Arse says:

I suspect it is an allegorical saying, meaning it is better to add something to a player’s attributes rather than take it away.

Either that or Arsene is as potty as GLIC. :-)

Spot on RA (again) ;)

119. Motorway Gooner says:

Kelsey how weird is that ?
    A quote I found.

“When your dealing with someone who has a syrup on, if you take his syrup off, he`s bald – it`s spam, you can have it with eggs, chips and peas. Your better off trying to find him Terry Mancini`s Hair Transplant Trichologist to complement his open top sports car driving, syrup`s flying about are effing dangerous, driving on the M5″

120. evonne says:

Hi Raddy, good to have you back and even better you agreeing about our Tel

121. Motorway Gooner says:

Spot on peaches,
    In my time ,I have had many open top sports cars, not now, I had to build an extention for my ” Best slapped in the face with a syrup drives around Britain collection “.

122. evonne says:

Oi Micky – I Did It :) EvonneDidIt :) Installed, tested and liked Dexpot, go for it son!

123. evonne says:

Gordies winning

124. Motorway Gooner says:

A new law was brought in, so it`s now illegal to wear a syrup whilst driving on the Motorways of Great Britain in an open topped sport`s car. It`s in the Highway code, honestly, you read it !.
    There are special ” Toupeecams” all over the place !
    I once had to go to pick out an offender in a “syrup line up”!

125. Toons 1 up bizarrely

126. Aha, thought you’d caught me out evonne :lol:

127. fatgingergooner says:

All I ask is that I get to hear a commentator shout the word HENRY! before watching the ball fly into the opposition net!

If it happens just once, I will be a happy boy!!!

128. evonne says:

Peaches, we should really move in together and cut down on the electricity bills :)

129. I’ll need to bring my own dog though :)

130. evonne says:

No Peaches, I have enough dogs for both of us :)

Bloody pool winning – not the result we wanted :(

132. allezkev says:

Despite the reservations of some, i think that the vast majority of Arsenal fans will once again come under the spell of our record goalscorer.
    The opportunity to watch Thierry Henry in an Arsenal kit again, will be like a stroll down Memory Lane when Arsenal were truely serious contenders for honours.
    I shall relish every moment of seeing TH12 in his familiar Gunners attire. Relish it with a passion….

133. fatgingergooner says:

AK,

Is 12 the number he has been given?

134. allezkev says:

FGG, that’s what i believe mate.

135. allezkev says:

Think he will probably make his comeback vs Leeds.

136. fatgingergooner says:

AK,

Do you believe he will be used as a replacement for RvP in games like the Leeds one or do you think Park will start along with AA and Henry will only get the odd 20 mins or so. Personally, I think the later.

For the benefit of our club it makes sense to give players like Park and AA more minutes so they can get their game going. I don’t see the sense in starting Henry unless it is due to injuries to others. Afterall, he is only with us 2 months.

Also, Alan Smith has just given Gerrard MotM for a 30 minute cameo featuring a goal and 2 good crosses when Bellamy has scored twice and been the best player on the pitch. What a dick!

137. fatgingergooner says:

Frimpong to Wolves for rest of season. Good move by Wenger.

138. allezkev says:

FGG. yes, i tend to agree. I Think, like you, that TH will be effective as a sub vs tiring opponants, especially if we’re chasing a winning goal or to give RVP a breather.
    Not sure about Park tbh. He looked ok against Bolton in the Carling Cup, but ineffective against Man City a few weeks later.

139. allezkev says:

Good night FGG.

Good post btw.

140. A child has requested a ticket for tomorrows game so if anyone hears of a spare can they let me know please.

141. Gooner in Exile says:

See its having the desired effect. QPR sell out on Exchange, bet Leeds FA Cup tickets sell out as soon as loan confirmed.

142. Gooner in Exile says:

Interesting opinions from three legends:

143. Gooner in Exile says:

I hate being negative about this and TA I appreciate that the window hasn’t opened yet, but Coyle and AVB openly admitted a fee has been agreed for Cahill. I know we are often quiet on things and I am normally content with whatever goes on at the club. But this feels like the only move…god knows what the Insurance is going to cost.

4th is going to be a big ask, even bigger if we look past February and only have Cham and Park to choose from if anything happens to RvP.

The reason I am keen for another frontman is I have concerns about our goals for.

144. GiE – what do you think has changed? Why is RvP scoring so many goals? Did you see I asked the question earlier – if RvP had been fit these past seasons would we have scored goals from so many different positions?

145. TotalArsenal says:

Peaches, if you are there: am I right that Finsbury Park is nearest tube station to The Tavern?

146. fatgingergooner says:

The ACN could be the best thing to happen to Arsenal.

Henry is going to give the players a massive lift.

Also, Chamakh has the chance to play with different players and opportunities. 3 games of 90 minutes could be just what he needs to get some form back.

Come the end of Feb we could have the replacement striker we are looking for in the shape of MC. Fingers crossed.

147. harry says:

TotalA you can either get off at Arsenal or finsbury park, actually think Arsenal Tube is easier, out of main entrance turn left and walk to end of road and its in front to your left at 45 degrees. I’ll be getting off at Arsenal around about 1pm-1.15pm……

Sorry been out all day……..Chary cracking review very well wrote…………….

On the TH12 two month 8 game plan, for me its a no brainer……regards to the remainder of his transfer plans or lack of I am absolutely gobsmacked……..GIE an article from you on this would be interesting……

148. TotalArsenal says:

GiE, I understand your concern and I would love us to sign another central striker as well, but there are no guarantees that it would work straightaway. If RvP gets injured in March, I think Arsene could try a few options. Why not play the Gerv in the middle with Theo and the Ox on either side for example? Why not try Chamakh or Park with the Ox or Gervinho right behind in the hole?

I love RvP and what a great year he has had. The truth is we have become over-dependent on him/ his role as the main goalscorer, and as a result we are scoring significantly less goals this year than the previous ones (although I have not done stats on this recently). This problem does not necessarily get resolved by buying a replacement for RvP i.e. a better no.2 to cover for his injuries and suspensions. We need to score more from the wings and midfield and this requires a different approach/system/mindset by the players, in my view.

149. TotalArsenal says:

Thanks Harry! Looking fwd to seeing you tomorrow.

150. ozgunner says:

In all fairness to our goals for tally Ramsey and Gervinho have missed quite a number of chances, they start becoming more clinical and we are looking more and more dangerous. Plus in walcott and gerv we are utilising cut backs, and low crosses more, which RVP has been dispatching thanks to his brilliant timing and positional sense.

@ Micky

The montpellier owner has gotten wind of our transfer plans and stated arsene would have to dish out 50-60 million for him! I know we got 24 million out of nasri for half a season but come on this bloke is dreaming

151. Gooner in Exile says:

Peaches it’s a tricky one to answer, looking at last seasons scoring charts the goals were scored by centre forwards.

According to wiki we scored 114 goals last year, centre forwards (RvP, NB, MC) scored 42 (37%)

Wide Midfielders/Attackers (AA23, Na$ri, Theo) contributed 38 (33%).

2011-12 scored 49

Centre Forwards (RvP/Park) – 21 (43%)

Wide Midfielders (Theo, Yossi, Gerv, AA23, Ox) – 15 (30%)

This could have something to do with TAs theory that Cham gives room for others to score whereas RvP stays more up front. Or it could be our wide players are not in the same form as they were last season :( but my main bone of contention is who plays up front when RvP doesn’t play, we need someone to lead the line, and unfortunately it isn’t Cham or Park this season.

152. TotalArsenal says:

GiE, those statistics are interesting: both seasons are pretty similar with a 6 per cent point increase in CF contributions currently. It would also be interesting to compare the start of the 2010 season till Christmas with the start of the 2011 season till Christmas. In the former Chamakh was our main striker and in the latter it was RvP. I bet we scored more goals per game and with a better share between departments (wingers, midfielders, defenders) during the start of the 2010 season.

I am off to bed now, but let’s continue this discussion over the next few days!

153. evonne says:

Morning all
    Match day!! I am scared of getting excited, it is such a downer when we don’t win. I suppose it is like a heroin shot in the arm, no? I am a football junkie

Micky – did you get my message last night?

154. evonne says:

Peaches – what child??

TA – Arsenal and Finsbury Park are both about half a mile away from the Tavern. My driveway ready to receive your vehicle, welcome! I won’t be in, but park away and have a great day!

155. fatgingergooner says:

Personally I dont believe it’s the right time to buy a striker. Firstly, we would end up paying way over the odds due to it being the January window. Take Podolski for example, come the end of the season he will have a year left to run on his contract and his club have already stated that they won’t take him into next season if his contract isn’t renewed. I understand more clubs will be sniffing around if we wait, but the flip side of that is that more clubs would also be willing to sell given the fact they have more time to find replacements. Also, by the end of the season we may know more about RvP’s plans. If he is leaving us then Wenger will know that a top drawer replacement is needed and not someone who is happy to play half the games a season.

Secondly, what happens if we pay 20m for Podolski (example) and RvP stays fit? We only play one upfront so rotation will be more regular making it more difficult for the strikers to put a run together like RvP has this year. Yes, it’s important to have a squad, but continuity is just as important.

Lastly, if Wenger sees anything in Afobe, Campbell or Park then bringing in a new striker is going to be detrimental to their progress. Look at previous years, we begged for a DM and Song came through. We begged for a midfielder and Wilshire appeared, and we pleaded for a keeper and Szscesny was promoted. People say you have to pay top dollar for strikers, but not if you get them young enough. Our current Dutch striker is a prime example of this.

156. evonne says:

Hiya Ginga, I completely agree with you re purchasing a striker in January. Boy Wonder will stay fit, he put his injuries behind and is at his peak. The cunning plan of bringing TH back on loan is a stroke of genius, I am sure of it. Players like him keep at least 2 defenders tied up to him.

Summer time is a different ballgame, plenty of time though

157. evonne says:

Fergie is 70 today – best wishes for sir Alex? GM , Chas :)

Morning all.
    There are pros and cons on having TH14 back.(First player (I think) to have a statue whilst still playing for the club, even if only on loan.

if he secures wins for us mission accomplished,if he doesn’t the expectancy of some is that he should be the same player of some 3/4 years ago will be just a dream.

I honestly thik it is a no win situation for the club.it won’t sell anymore seats as they are all sold and when he finally leaves we are left with a totally out of form Chamakh to help RVP.
    The crowd will be ecstatic but I just don’t see the benefit of the signing, except more off the field in a semi coaching role.

159. fatgingergooner says:

Kelsey,

the benefit to the club of TH14 is that if RvP or Park get injured then we have another striker.

that is the point of him being here, to cover Chamakh and Gerv.

if selling seats and fan happiness is increased then so be it.

if TH14 wasnt here then we would still be left with an out of form Chamakh come end of Feb.

TH14 is better than no signing at all.

FGG,

Is the loan deal for Henry to play instead of RVP or to play with him ?

If RVP has to be rested it’s a big ask IMO.

if they play together even for say an hour that might be a different ball game altogether.

Park doesn’t even come into the equation.

As usual, I reserve judgement.

Is it?
    Could it be?
    I mean, it is match day, and we know the big man is back in town!

Evonne,
    Yes, I saw your comment. I will give it a whirl :-)

My quick thoughts on TH12.
    Nothing to lose.
    Games maybe sold out, but not all turn up, and also TH will do wonders for the atmosphere, thus reinstating the twelfth man.
    RvP is very, very Red Zoned. No team can rely on one goal getter for the entire season.
    It comes down to exactly how valuable 4th spot really is.

164. evonne says:

My guess is that TH will be played for the last 20mins of every game, regardless if RvP is injured or not. He will step in and deliver what AA23 and Chamakh failed to do.

“If we don’t buy an additional goal source as well as TH, I think we are buggered, well at least taking a massive gamble.”

Exactly Micky, that what I was saying in a round about way.

166. fatgingergooner says:

Kelsey,

Henry will not be playing 90 minutes, let’s put it that way.

If AW wants to rest RvP then Park will start.

But RvP would be starting our League games anyway, with or without Henry.

RvP will be rested against Leeds and may only play an hour in certain league games if we are comfortable. I think that would be the case anyway even if Henry didn’t sign.

The point is we now have 3 bodies Instead of 2, thus more options and more chance to rest RvP.

Another question, particularly in light of dicussions about areas of the pitch where are non-Robin goals come from, is maybe we should be looking at the AM position rather than the wide boys.
    Hypothetically, which player would generate more non-Robin goals, Hazard (wide) or Goetze (AM)?
    My answer is Goetze.

168. TotalArsenal says:

Cheers Evonne, shame though I won’t meet you today :(

169. ozgunner says:

Goetze for me micky.

OK folks…. Raddy is back in the room…

….. New post ……..