Thierry Henry – The Gunner Galactico

Written by Jamie

When Thierry Henry scored in Madrid in 2005, the ITV commentator, Peter Drury, I think, called him “the gunner galactico” and since we have now given our record scorer a statue, it seems a fair representation of his greatness.

In April 2004 I stood in the lower east stand, just over an hour before kickoff. The gates were open for a morning kick off against Liverpool. A game which after losing and FA Cup Semi Final to Manchester United and a Champions League quarter final to Chelsea only days before had taken on increased significance.

If Arsenal were to fail now, that would surely be the end.

There were probably only a hundred gooners in the ground. Henry was making a joke of the fitness test Gary Lewin was asking him to perform.

Jogging round cones with all the enthusiasm of a teenage boy doing the washing up. Gary Lewin shakes his head with a wry smile. As the five/ ten minute session ends on the sundrenched Highbury pitch both Lewin and Henry walk for the tunnel, Henry seeming to plead like a kid who had not done enough to earn his pocket money.

Henry started the game with a back injury and had an awful first half but did manage to lob Dudek. Arsenal ended the half 1-2 down.

Months later the players were asked what Wenger said at half time and they replied that the only instruction was to keep passing.

Suddenly Ljungberg and Pires where everywhere and pretty soon Pires had levelled the score from close range.

Then it happened, Thierry Henry picked the ball up just inside the Liverpool half. Faced with a wall of white shirts he first jogged then sprinted, faced with Carragher a change of feet was enough. Each row in the East and West stands rising as Henry went passed.

Then faced with Dudek, Henry side footed the ball to the corner of the net. You often hear the phrase, that lifted the roof, well that doesn’t do it justice.

After a week of torture, everybody convinced we would blow it, we came back from the dead and blew Liverpool away.

Henry often recalls this to be his favourite goal, largely I assume because of the significance to the team. You see, that is what great players do, they take a bad day, they take fear and panic and they blow it away in the blink of an eye.

Henry went on to score a lucky third and Arsenal went on to win the League and become the first English team since football became a serious game to go a season unbeaten.

That moment changed the course of football history.

Arsenal had other great players, gladiators like Campbell and Vieira, the extraordinary Bergkamp, First goal Freddie and Thierry Henry’s delightful sidekick Robert Pires.

As Bergkamp was in his earlier career, Thierry Henry was now Prima Ballerina, the star turn, and elegant mix of dexterity and finesse. The perfect first touch, pace, poise and technique.

Henry had his moments though, he sat in tears after the 2001 FA Cup Final defeat against Liverpool. Henry among others missed a hatful in a game that Arsenal dominated and lost. He was out of sorts in Copenhagen 12 months earlier as Arsenal lost the UEFA cup final to Galatasaray.

Henry would lead the Arsenal’s scoring charts again in 2001/2 as the Gunners went on to lift the double. Henry and Pires were telepathic by now and the first two thirds of the season swept all before them.

The following year Arsenal were to throw away the league title after having held a big lead over Manchester United.

Henry had been incredible at times including a stunning hat-trick in Rome and a monumental performance against Spurs at Highbury in a game where for the last ten minutes Henry and Pires continually humiliated Spurs’ Stephen Carr after Carr had flattened Pires in the first few minutes of the game.

From 2001-5 he and Arsenal got there rewards for the work the team had put in since Henry’s arrival in 1999 as a replacement for Nicolas Anelka. The trophies flooded in.

Dennis Bergkamp played a role in Henry’s development, Henry spent the first two years of his Arsenal career trying to bend shots around the keeper. The Bergkamp-esque curler, something which he eventually mastered and made his own.

Bergkamp taught him where to run. Pires taught him how to hang out on the left and let the game come to him. Like Cruyff’s theory of creating space by standing still.

Late in a game Henry would stand, hands on hip on the half way line, usually on the left. Arsenal defending a lead, only to spring to lightning paced action should the ball be fed to him on the counter attack.

• The trademark dummy and drag back,
  • the blind runs to the by-line only for him to wriggle a way out,
  • the explosive one on one finisher,
  • the frustrated whack from outside the box,
  • the corner flag showman in the dying minutes,
  • the pumped match winner in Madrid.

Whatever you remember King Henry for I am sure you will be recalling it now with a smile on your face.

It is also time to dispel a few myths about the great man.

Idiots might tell you that Henry didn’t score in the big games, He scored great goals against Manchester United, Real Madrid, Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea, Roma, Inter Milan and Juventus.

He didn’t score against Barcelona in Arsenal’s the 2006 Champions League final defeat.

He did go on to play for them though.

Henry scored his final Arsenal home goal to win a tight game with Manchester United.  As Sky’s Martin Tyler remarked, “a great moment from the great man”.

Henry was excellent for Barcelona and won everything he hadn’t already won with England and France. He might not of recaptured his Arsenal form but he did edge Ronaldinho out of the left side of Barcelona’s attack.

My favourite memory of the great man is probably this.

In 2003 I travelled to Milan to see the second group stage game against Inter. The first a 3-0 home defeat fell like an axe.

In the San Siro, minus key players Arsenal won 5-1. Late in the game Henry picked up a ball on the break and sprinted towards the box. He stopped, waited for the Inter defender to catch up, teasing,  only to shift the ball past him and smash a left for shot in to the bottom corner. The away end went bananas and I got very drunk in one of Milan’s Irish bars.

Arsenal had been slated for the first Inter game and the Old Trafford brawl which followed but as Henry’s shot smashed the net it was all consigned to history.

Thierry Henry, The Gunner Galactico.

130 Responses to Thierry Henry – The Gunner Galactico

1. Red Arse says:

Well written Jamie, and such great memories!! :-)

Fantastic piece of writing Jamie and fitting homage to the great man. It seems the story of his love affair with Arsenal may not be over, but we’ve already had memories that will remain forever. For me, he is the best striker ever, I’m biased obviously but when you look at the quality of his goals, who could disagree.

3. Is it going to happen or not? Either way, looking at videos and photos of Thierry is a lovely way of spending time.

Find your favourites and drop them into the post.

I think for what he can bring to the team and the chance of seeing him run out of the tunnel in Red and White we should sign him for a couple of months. It’s piffle to think that any of his previous achievements will be sullied. Of course he hasn’t got the pace but he has still got the skills and the desire to win.

I would sign Podolski aswell because our other options of Chamakh and Park and an out of sorts Arshavin are just not good enough.

Come on Arsene, don’t let making the decision on Thierry use up all your thinking time please.

4. evonne says:

Jamie is back! We thought the new wife killed you for blogging on the wedding day :)

Good post, thanks. I remember when TH first arrived at Highbury and we were pronouncing his name the English way as Terry Henry :)

5. evonne says:

Micky – Trojan in Dexpot?? I doubt it, why do you think that?

Great moments Jamie.
    Oh go on then. Sign him up!
    Maybe he’ll do for us what Larsson did for Utd. Will he be around for the CL Final? :-)

Evonne,
    Can’t be sure it was Dexpot. I was scanning the net, eyes half shut, brain disengaged in an area that is pure darkness to me at the best of times.
    I would ignore me. I know I do.

8. evonne says:

Micky – ok, I will try it for you. I am busy today, but I will install it on my Vista laptop tomorrow and let you know the outcome

Good point about Larsson, but I think our Tel can do better than that, of course he can :)

I can’t believe so many fans want TH14 back.Look what it would do to Chamakh’s confidence.

Kelsey,
    Top comment :-)

11. kelsey :lol: great comment

12. TA – if you’re around I’m trying to get in touch with you, I’ve got my ticket fairy hat on ;)

13. goonermichael says:

Kelsey. You are joking. Larsson scored 1 league goal for the mancs and everyone thinks rednose was a genius for signing him. Henry is on a different planet to Larsson.

14. Jamie says:

Cheers all.

I hope we get him back to cover Gervinho.

I also agree with the calls for Podolski but I don’t think that will happen.

We have a good team, we need reliable options.

15. fatgingergooner says:

Nutmeg on Danny Mills in the corner!

Mills epitomised everything that Henry wasn’t. He was the polar opposite. He was a thug, a brute, and not happy unless he was kicking someone in the air. Henry was finesse personified. Elegant, a gentleman, a pure footballer of the best kind.

That nutmeg on Danny Mills was so good that even Danny stood there embarrassed, knowing that he couldn’t get anywhere near the great man.

It pretty much ended Mills’ career, and summed up perfectly in just 10 seconds everything that Henry was to football.

Brilliant!

16. fatgingergooner says:

I already said this a few days ago, but signing Henry is always a better option than signing nobody.

If AW Intends to wait until RvP has made his decision before signing a striker, which is highly likely, then TH14 has to be a good option for the short term.

17. harry says:

Jamie, Super post and brilliantly written……..

Did I want him back before your post, YES….

Can I wait, NO……….

If only for 7 -10 games, it will give the whole place a lift and give us an extra dimension, players like Park and chamakh will learn something, and even Ox and Theo can only benefit from the Legend returning……

18. Afternoon all, a heartfelt post Jamie and all the more sincere for letting your admiration for the player shine through.

I was talking to Radders & Raspers about this outside the Tavern on Tuesday and I have my reservations – one of those is what if TH14 is our only addition during January, would that be enough if Wenger thinks his work is done ?

Having watched him in training for the last few weeks if we do loan him in I hope Wenger has assessed him correctly.

19. This is a good read about the pros and cons of Thierry’s return, just popped up on twitter

20. Hi chary – I’m brimming with the sentimentality of watching Thierry Henry play again. How bad can it be when you consider the other options available? But I do agree with you, as I said earlier, that he should not be the only addition. Greedy moi ….? :)

21. Cory (Gooner In NYC) says:

Wonderful, brilliant, beautiful……..Thank you Jamie, you just made my morning. That 2nd video might just be the perfect tribute to The King, from the emotion/accolades shown in the beginning to the highlights of the great mans goals & tricks that follow, it epitomizes what he meant to our club & vice-versa. Watching his tribute videos is like watching a “Greatest Football Goals of All-Time” compilation, not a “Greatest Arsenal” compilation, most of them were that good!!! “There’s only 1………”

22. allezkev says:

What a great post.
    I was at the Dell when he got his first goal.
    A right old knees-up on the terraces [seats] was had by all that day.

There is a very good indepth post by yogi on ACLF about the pros and cons of the “proposed loan” and the complications involved with the ruling of players over 25 and that we could possibly have to offload certain players for the 6/8 weeks he may come to us on loan.

I prefer to stick to the memories of a player in his prime and the wonderful pleasure he gave us We were truly lucky o see such a genius at work.

24. Hi Peachy, I ‘m just worried if Wenger views Henry on loan as the only thing we need, a stop gap is not going to help us get to 4th(or above).

Given the choice of say Podolski only or TH14 noly on loan I’d have to go for the former.

Of course like you I’d want both(and a left back/utility defender) but I realise there are complications.

25. Irishgunner says:

Afternoon all,

Belated happy holidays to y’all.

I hope Henry comes back, it will warrant a trip from me, it kills me I never saw Bergkamp play for Arsenal (be at the ground) now is my chance to rectify that with Henry.

For the team, he will boost morale. Has any other player than Henry that has left in recent history loved the club as much? And don’t say fucking DNA Fabregas, bloody liar – least Henry was honest when he left unlike that twat – if Barcelona were playing like Levante now his DNA wouldn’t be bothering him.

/endrant

26. Hi Maire, and top rant there. Liked our chat about Lady Starlight the other day.

As usual i am in the minority.When henry was with us he was arrogance personified and rightly so, but he was the main man and reyes for one fell out with him.How would RVP take to our idol coming back for just a few weeks ?.
    There is no doubt henry could give the less experienced players more knowlege about what is expected of them by AW, than AW himself, but the thought of him having a cameo role with 15/20 odd minutes in various games just doesn’t seem right and he certainly wouldn’t be effective over a full game unless he played in an alien position to before, and even then not sure if it would work..
    Many things to consider and that is what AW is doing right now.

28. Irishgunner says:

Chary – That chat brought back memories ha ha been 14 months since I saw her and thus the Gaga live – too long :( I just realised I only saw 4 gigs last year … and 3 of those were Imelda May O_O

Rammstein in 2 months though – have you heard of them? European Industrial metal is the genre they are put under by most.

29. Ah ha Kelsey not completely in the minority, I said exactly what your first point was to Radders/Raspers at the Tavern the other day.
    I’m conflicted about his return to be honest – so I’m in a different minority.

30. Irishgunner says:

Kelsey – that is a good point about Henry’s arrogance .. would AW consult RVP befopre bringing him back? As our main man and captain.

31. 3 gigs out of 4 being the same band, now that’s knowing what you like Maire!

Rammstein does ring a bell but I’m really an old skool metal/NWOBHM man and would probably be out of my depth in the various black/death metal genres.

Having said that I stumbled upon an interesting black metal band consisting of a solo female Iraqi; the lyrical themes I can appreciate although the music itself is probably a bit too grindcore for me:

That’s one brave girl !

32. Irishgunner says:

Chary – No else caught my interest to be honest. The first time I went to Imelda May was a gift from my sister, the second I bought and the third time (last week) I was on the guest list (cos I’m such an epic fan ha ha) so I’d only to pay for one of the shows :D

I’m following up the Rammstein gig with the Backstreet Boys and New Kids on the Block in triubte to me teenage years ha ha Not heard of that Iraqi band, will listen to them when I get back to my own house, slow ass internet at my parents.

Why can’t today be Saturday? I need football, although back to work next week :(

33. Signing Henry is not risk free. What would happen if it went pear shaped? What if the Premiership proved to be a step too far? Tear down the statue and sell it for scrap? Devalue the legend?

Sign Podolsky and let’s preserve, in aspic, our fond memories.

34. Brigham says:

One of my Xmas presents from the wife this year was the Legends DVD, with Berkgamp. Wright and of course Thierry. I have only watched the Henry one so far and it is great viewing. I had forgotten just how many great goals he scored for us.

I am going to watch the Bergkamp one in a minute. :-)

35. Irishgunner says:

Brigham – you have a good spouse there :D

36. They were just toddlers when they started Maire, it’s why they were called “New Kids without co**s”.

37. Irishgunner says:

Too many jokes to be made there Chary and since I’m a lady I’ll not go there ;-)

38. Hi Irish – nice to see you, hope you’re sticking around a while. I need to pop out and buy light bulbs :( be back as soon as.

Anyone want to volunteer a years round up kind of post for tomorrow – favourite game, favourite goal, favourite player ………. as it will be our last chance what with a pre-match on Saturday.

Don’t alll rush and I’ll be back to nag in a while ;)

39. Irishgunner says:

Hiya Peaches – I have a flu and lady problems :( Feeling sorry for myself beside the fire :lol:

40. Peachy, if no one else volunteers something by 8pm tonight I could knock up a very biased and jaundiced take on my highlights of the year, however I’m more than happy to step aside for anyone else, especially Sharkey who must owe you a gazillion posts ! :)
    Let me know either way – I’ll have to set aside time from shredding power chords tonight if no one else proffers up a post. :oops:

41. TotalArsenal says:

Jamie, beautiful introduction to the imminent return of our living legend. Good stuff.

Hi chary, I’ll accept on peaches behalf – you beauty :lol:

Can everyone intending to meet up at the Tavern on Saturday make themselves known please so I can put up the widget.

44. harry says:

Rasp, I’ll be there…………

Having spent most of christmas in self pity mode due to man flu, looking forward to getting out for some festive cheer and 3 points…and the raising of a glass with the clan of AAer’s……….

45. harry says:

IrishG – I know how you feel……… it dampens the old spirit…..

Get well soon :D

Thanks Harry, glad to hear you’re feeling a bit better, I’m hoping VCC will be there too to add another face to a blog persona.

47. harry says:

Thanks Rasp, one of the worst xmas in recent history……..Only added to by the result the other day, lets hope for a better all round performance and some goals……..

Yeah will be good to meet another AAer, shame I missed Big Raddy the other day…..although I met him last season.

48. charybdis1966 says:

Sadly I won’t be at the match on saturday Raspers but I’ll wait till 8pm my threat of post is carried so if no one else wants to avert said threat by then you’ll all be sorry !

Poor you harry, I assumed it must have been something serious to keep a trouper like you away from the Emirates.

I have to admit I felt more down than I should after that result. I think the main reason was that I wanted to believe that we had banished all the ‘character flaws’ of last year’s team – but it seems we still have a problem capitalising on an opportunity to gain ground when those around us drop points.

Oh, that’s a shame chary, we’ll look forward to reading rendition of Fergie the Red Nosed Alchy in your post :P

51. Hi Rasp – can you add VCC into the widget please, he’ll definitely be joining us.

chary – you can’t offer a post and then withdraw within the hour ;)

52. harry says:

Expectations are always a let down I suppose…………. :d

Just had a look at these goals for 2011, some peaches (excuse the pun) to choose from…………

OK thanks peaches :)

54. Thats the nature of the beast Harry. We sat having a lovely lunch and then a drink together without ever imagining that the three points were in doubt, mustn’t do that again. Probably Rasps fault, he didn’t at any moment say ‘I’ve got a bad feeling about this game’ :)

Yes I did peaches, I said I had a bad feeling and that it had draw written all over it.

My main fear about the QPR game comes in the shape of Joey Barton :(

56. 10 minutes before the end doesn’t count ……….. :lol:

I said it before the start as well you know – Raddy will confirm…. not that I’m proud :oops:

58. harry says:

Lol, so its your fault Rasp, tut tut………amazing how women can find guilt when needed……

59. I’m sure I heard that Joey Barton has just become a dad so maybe he hasn’t slept ……………. or gone a bit soft ……… :evil:

Just watched the goals on Arse.com – Nik’s goal against Ipswich was pretty special, his first touch was excellent and he came in from the wing ………….. shame about Nik really :(

Both goals against Barca were amazing though … what a night.

60. You’d better wear the right knickers on Saturday then :) xx

61. evonne says:

Peaches – you are not the one tell anyone to wear knickers, you only wear the furcoat :)

Rasp – did you get our Happy Birthday Old Boy wishes??

Yes thanks evonne :P – but less of the old, its getting too close to the truth :?

Just off out for a bit, catch up with you all later

63. TotalArsenal says:

Happy Birthday young Rasper! I will be at Tavern as well on Saturday + 1 mate.

64. harry says:

Happy Birthday Rasp……….

Nice one TA, I can explain my post to you!!

65. TotalArsenal says:

Harry, it will be a pleasure to meet you again! Good to hear you’re feeling better again :)

66. evonne says:

Rasp – what is the proverb about being as old as the woman you are ***** ?
    I like being old, being young is such hard work

67. Peachy, I was only offering to step aside if someone else wanted to, you know how lazzzzeeeeee I’ve become nowadays – this is your last chance to avoid a Chary view of 2011 for tomorrow’s post.
    Anyway you’re getting it now – I’ll have it in drafts by 10.

See you later,love to stay and chat, especially to you Evonne, but i must get cracking on that post.

Great post, Jamie.
    My favourite Thierry goal is that half volley against West Ham. There’s something about half volleys that make the ball travel even faster than a volley or a shot from the ground.

Happy Birthday Rasper

69. Go for it chary you we love your posts :)

70. allezkev – he looks ok to me :)

71. Peachy, the post is in drafts but I’m having trouble saving it. Can you look at it as it disappears when I try and save it(good job some of you are saying :) )

72. The one against Dallas is a peach. (Excuse the pun too)

73. And the one against fire

74. it’s ok now Peachy i’ve got it to save.

75. Good job……………………………..

76. Sorry Gm, I’m at cross purposes there.

Who were fire ?

77. Gooner in Exile says:

Read this first thing this morning but this is first chance to post as I have been back at work…..boo!

Great read Jamie and a true homage to our former great….it appears news of his rearrival is growing stronger. That does not fill me with joy. Let’s try and get a couple of proper deals done first then if failing sign him up.

Right now to digest the comments!

78. Gooner in Exile says:

Ok I’m in a minority with Kelsey….who’d have thought that would ever happen….Chary should be here too but his developed his own clique minority :D

79. gunnern5 says:

It’s all speculation but, I for one, hope it happens.

………………………………………………………………………………

Henry set for Arsenal return

Striker understood to have been offered two-month loan deal

Last Updated: December 29, 2011 9:43pm
    Sky Sports sources understand Thierry Henry has been offered the chance to rejoin Arsenal and is poised to agree a two-month loan deal in the next 48 hours.

Speculation about the possibility of Henry re-signing for the Gunners has been building since he linked up with Arsene Wenger’s squad for training at the end of the Major League Soccer season.

Wenger initially insisted that he had no plans to bring in Henry on loan, with his French compatriot merely keeping fit during the winter before returning to New York Red Bulls.

However, the Arsenal manager has softened that stance in recent days and admitted before Christmas that he was thinking about trying to reach an agreement with the striker.

It is now understood that a deal is on the table and Henry could accept by Saturday, allowing him to start the New Year back at the Emirates Stadium.

Henry is the all-time leading goalscorer for the Gunners following a hugely successful eight-year stint in North London earlier in his career.

Mouth-watering

He left for Barcelona in 2007 before heading across the Atlantic last year, but he has maintained his form and is now set to return to the Premier League.

A number of Arsenal’s players have stated their desire to see Henry link up with the club once again, and if a deal is finalised he may be asked to play a key role.

Wenger’s attacking options will be depleted when Marouane Chamakh and Gervinho leave for the African Cup of Nations.

The new MLS season does not kick off until March and Henry could feature in a number of mouth-watering fixtures, including the clash with Premier League champions Manchester United on 22nd January, the North London derby at home to Tottenham on 26th February and both legs of the UEFA Champions League tie against AC Milan.

80. Yup, I’m a bit of an anti-social git like that GiE, lol.

81. Gooner in Exile says:

I know some will say he gives the place a lift but I think it will make us look weak to our own fans and to opponents.

We should be signing someone not just to kick this season on but next season too, that ain’t Henry, I welcomed Campbell and Lehmann re signing but try we’re totally different circumstances.

The African Nations is 21 Jan to 12 Feb, assuming players go off a week or so before the games we will be without Gerv and Cham are:

Swansea A
    Man U H
    FA Cup 4th round (poss)
    Bolton A
    Blackburn H
    Sunderland A

That’s of they go all the way through the competition. Are we really happy to see Ox deprived chances by Thierry’s come back?

82. I think they are Chicago Fire but on the clip they are just Fire Chary. Talking about Thierry’s goals in the MLS video

83. I think we’ll be getting Joel Campbell next season GiE.

84. Oh right GM.

GiE, what I don’t get is if Oxo Chamberpot is supposed to be filling in for Geronimo why hasn’t he been allowed some sub appearances yet ? Is he not ready or does wenger see another solution because surely it’d make sense to give him a few cameos before he has to start a full game ?

85. Just seen a hilarious article from Piles Palmer of ANR where he says Henry is not a striker,

Shows how much HE knows.

86. ozgunner says:

Welcome back Jamie, thanks for the great post, reliving the henry years is always a treat.

Happy birthday rasp

I think Henry would be a good signing…IF (and thats a big IF) others are brought in aswel. Unfortunently i don’t think it’s enough to only bring him in. If he can do what sol did then he will be a great addition. The thought of him terrifying manu again makes me grin ear to ear.

Peaches is that a yes to the pre-match?

87. ozgunner says:

@ Irish

jealous you get to see rammstein. They are very hit and miss however, if they put together a best of it would be a great CD. Although i have no idea what they are signing about it often does the job at the gym

88. Anyway, that’s enough from me, I’m off to catch some zzzzzzzzzzzzz’s.

PS – an almost belated happy birthday to Raspers – all the best.

Thanks oz, I’ll find out about the pre-match and let you know ASAP

90. Oxo is very young though. Henry can also replace RVP if he needs to.

91. Myles palmer is a F ing C==t. Don’t encourage the tw=t.

92. ozgunner says:

Henry at MLS:

40 starts, 1 sub – 17 goals, 5 assists

Podolski (last two seasons):

FC Cologne- 47 starts, 1 sub – 27 goals, 8 assists
    Germany- 24 starts, 2 sub – 6 goals, 5 assists

Red hot: So far this season podolski has scored 14 goals, and 4 assists in 15 games.

I’d grab both if we can

93. ozgunner says:

Goal average the past two seasons:

Henry- a goal every 2.4 games
    Podolski- a goal every 2.15 games

On-form podolski: a goal every 1.14 games.

Park + MC who? we have your replacements

94. Park hasn’t had a chance yet.

95. official14henry Thierry Henry
    I told you never say never ;) paperwork needs to go through should be done by end of tomorrow I can say it feels great to be back TH

96. ozgunner says:

@ Micky

how about Oliver Giroud?

18 appearances, 13 goals, 5 assists. Just debuted for France. 25 yrs old. leading ligue 1 scoring. second in assists. Lowish transfer fee. From Montpellier (small club but may not want him to go as they sit currently in second spot.)

97. Gooner in Exile says:

Just a quick reply…GMis was talking about Sol a couple of seasons back (in re signing past masters context).

Perhaps Ox is being kept away from injury?

Ok hear me out for a second when Gervinho and Cham goes here are the players that could play CF:

RvP, Theo, Park, Verm (yes he could)

And here are the wide men:

TR7, Theo, AA23, Yossi, Ox, Gibbs (if needs must)

98. Vermaelen????? Have you been drinking GiE?????? :lol:

99. …….. and if you don’t play a player so that they don’t get injured, you’ll never play them ………….. OX should play!!!!

100. We need Verm at the back though. Gibbs is injured. AA is not very good. Having Henry won’t hurt. I agree that he is obviously not a long term solution. That sounds stupid considering it’s a loan deal but you know what I mean. I think if we are getting a new striker it will be in the summer.

101. ozgunner says:

Haha GiE verm could do a Samba. Fair enough his stiking of the ball is quality, but in terms of positioning and offside traps he would be severly lacking. Park hasn’t played enough so to risky, as would playing theo there (play him there in the pre-season matches so we can all see how he goes, not when we are in a fight for the top 4).

102. I think Ox will play whether or not Henry comes Peaches. I’m off now see you tomorrow. I’m looking forward to him wearing the shirt again (number 12 apparently)

103. Gooner in Exile says:

Ok he was last on my list of four. But as Oz says he could do a job if really desperate.

Point about Ox was making sure he wouldn’t be injured when Gerv goes away.

I really do dislike this Henry signing. Sorry to be a party pooper.

104. Gooner in Exile says:

Everyone talking about two months as if it’s ok, I must have missed the memo that said the PL ends in February. If we’re going to sign anyone it should be a bit more permanent!

This business makes is look as small and unambiguous as most fans have been saying for the last year. What a way to prove them right!

105. Gooner in Exile says:

Unambiguous = unambitious

106. ozgunner says:

I agree GiE, people always say (arsene included) we will go for them in the summer ect ect. Look at our past record, in previous seasons if we picked up a CB or a striker we would of won trophies! Arshavin brought with him an instant boost, he hit the ground running. Why not do it again, bring in a red hot player and give the team a boost again. It doesn’t have to be a fight for 3/4, it should be a fight for the title, with a new signing we are even closer!

107. TotalArsenal says:

GiE, Oz, if it only was so easy to bring in a red-hot striker in, who hits the ground running and helps us forget all our worries. If Wenger is to buy somebody in January, it will always be a long-term investment, as there are no guarantees (Torres, Carol anybody?). Thierry provides the perfect cover: he is keen, experienced in PL, and would only want to do help the team. He would jump at the opportunity to have one more chance to be a Gunner. I just cannot see we can lose with this one as he can play in both positions of the Gerv and Chamakh.

Wenger bought two strikers over the Summer and clearly at one point he is going to use them properly. I guess this will be next season. Chamakh is our no.2 striker and Wenger is likely to make a decision about him now. Sell and try to buy a replacement, or keep and nobody will be bought.

If he decides to sell Chamakh and buy his replacement in January, he would still be keen to have Thierry available to allow for quality cover and give the new guy a chance to settle down on the team (especially if and when RvP would get injured).

It will interesting to see what Arsene’s plans are this January! :)

108. evonne says:

he’s coming back,he’s coming back, Thierry’s coming back!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am fucking delighted.

Oz,
    Sign him up as well :-)
    Quality Youtubing my friend. We are the recruitment King’s!

GiE,
    You forgot Diaby. Excellent CF material. Well away from the ghastly business of defensive duties!

111. evonne says:

Morning Micky, have you sorted the virtual desktop yet or would you like me to try Dexpot?

Hi Evonne,
    Does it work with Vista, or is the easiest solution to update to W7 and simply use the microsoft option?
    Are you already using the multi desktop thing?

Evonne,
    Just tried the microsoft powertoy version and it says works with XP only!

Thinking aloud here, who is Madrid’s creative midfielder?

115. Gooner in Exile says:

Ozil?

116. Morning all, and if Peachy or Raspers are around I forgot to say you can change the title of my post if it’s too clunky; I never could get the hang of catchy titles. :oops:

117. clunky :)

Rasp – he says we can change the title :)

I’m leaving Rasp to play around with the post ……….

evonne – I’m with you, singing out loud that Thierry’s coming home. I suspect he’s rather chuffed about it too.

Don’t worry GiE, it’ll be fine …… still hope someone else comes too as I agree with you that it’s only 2 months and we’ll still have work to do after he’s gone. I bet he’s looking forward to playing at the San Siro though :)

119. True Peachy, I’m not precious about that sort of thing. :)

Morning all…..

….. New post ……

121. web seo services…

[...]Thierry Henry – The Gunner Galactico « Arsenal Arsenal[...]…

122. freeroll says:

freeroll…

[...]Thierry Henry – The Gunner Galactico « Arsenal Arsenal[...]…