Robin van Persie – 2011- My Favourite Year

Robin van Persie is the son of a sculptor and a painter and his inherited creative genius shines through on the football pitch. Beginning his career at Excelsior Rotterdam, he moved on to Feyenoord and earned caps for the Dutch u19 and u21 teams.

Robin always dreamed of playing for his hometown club and then moving on to Arsenal or a small club in Catalonia to further his career.

Robin has always loved the red and white.

The highlight of Robin’s Feyenoord career was winning the UEFA cup in 2002 with a 3-2 victory and being named Dutch football talent of the year for the 2001/2 season.

van Persie’s early Arsenal career began fairly slowly largely due to injuries. From the 2004/5 season to 2009/10 he scored 5, 5, 11, 7, 11 and 9 league goals respectively. 2010/11 saw his total leap to 18, many of which were scored in the second half of the season when Arsenal’s unravelling was taking place.

This season he has scored 16 goals in 17 appearances, including 2 goals against Bolton on 24th September to take his Arsenal tally to 100. Of these one hundred goals, 71 were scored with his left foot, 23 right foot and 6 were headers which goes some way to dispel the myth of the van Persie ‘chocolate’ leg. His current tally for 2011 stands at 34 goals in a staggering 34 games. This draws level with Thierry Henry’s 34 but these were scored in 39 games and puts him two goals away from Alan Shearer’s all-time record of 36 scored in 42 matches.

Here are a few illustrations of Robin’s prowess in front of goal which has taken him to 115 goals, currently level with Alan Smith.

RVP with his right foot versus Wolves home 12th Feb 2011

The next goal versus Fulham on 22nd May 2011 illustrates a magnificent first touch.

A hat-trick of very different goals at 55secs, 3min 5 secs and 6 mins versus Wigan on 22nd January.

Robin’s goal against Everton encapsulated his self-professed desire to take risks by taking the volley on, resulting in his best goal of 2011.

RVP is now a world class striker who scores goals from all angles as the following illustrates

Robin’s son looks a prospect, too, so let’s hope he grows up with the Arsenal gene and follows in his father’s footsteps.

What’s your favourite RVP goal?

Robin would probably say, ‘the next one’.

Written by chas

60 Responses to Robin van Persie – 2011- My Favourite Year

1. fatgingergooner says:

Have not watched the vids but didn’t notice THAT volley at Charlton!? Please tell me it’s in there somewhere!!!

I loved the goal he scored against Inter Milan I think in the Emirates Cup when he dragged it from left to right to bamboozle a defender then smashed it in the near top corner with his (so called) wrong foot!

2. allezkev says:

Back to goal, turns, beats two defenders and slides it home.

3. Laker says:

I like his winning goal against manchester united in january 2007 when we beat them by 2 goals to 1

4. Chubbytoad says:

Yer the flying volley against Charlton was immense! One of the best goals and technique I have ever seen. I also love his goal against Barca from that tight angle, I will never know how it got that in.
    Legend

“CHAS THE VIDEO KING”, Barca last year for me, fantastic buzz when that hit the net.RVP is the closest thing to a subbuteo player ever, scoring from crazy angles with imense power,

6. Morning all. A lovely ode to Robin.

So is he the greatest ever Robin to play football?

And how much shall we sell him for in the summer?

7. SharkeySure says:

Chas – WOW !!!!!

8. goonermichael says:

When I saw the videos I knew who had to have written the post. I loved his volley against Charlton. Great post btw. Herb once asked if we had anyone in rooneys class. I think the question is do they have anyone in Robins class. I had money on Robin being top scorer in the league twice before. I wish I’d done it this year. I hope we sign Henry on loan.

9. SharkeySure says:

It really does feel like Xmas now…..

Every day should start with a video laden post like that.

Robins ‘shoulder shimmy’ celebration at Charlton, is almost as good as the goal….or maybe not, cos he scores that like he really is Superman flying thru the air.

Wot a truly tremendous talent.

Its great being an Arsenal fan…I feel blessed. Some of the players that we get to ‘call our own’ have been truly memorable.

I also feel like our greats our ONLY OUR GREATS, ie no other club can lay much claim to them. That back five, Thierry, Le Bob, King Dennis, Paddy, Brady(?) etc etc….

10. Red Arse - Sssh ... Not so Loud says:

Morning People, :-)

Chas, I am feeling very fragile this morning but after after watching those Vids I am already on the mend! :-) :-)

Mind you, after reading the comments yester’evening between VCC, GLIC and MerryT I have hurt my ribs laughing and then made them worse cheering the goals.

They are mad those three — and I am happy to have them in my gang!! :-)

11. Cory (Gooner In NYC) says:

Happy X-Mas from the other side of the pond, hope all you Gooners have a safe holiday & get want you wanted.
    Any thoughts on the possible King Henry loan?? As much as it hurts to say, I think we need to go with our heads & not our hearts regarding this one.
    Think about it, if Titi never played for the Arsenal (oh god, I started to get cold sweats just typing that horrible thought & I think Santa might have just put me on the naughty list for telling Gooners to think about it), what would we say if we were looking to sign a 34 year old, 70k-a-week striker from the MLS? Like I said, in our hearts, I’m sure 99.99999% of us would have him back even if he was using a walker to get up & down the pitch, but footballing-wise it’s just not a good decision for us unless we are going to sign another TOP striker & Henry.

12. goonermichael says:

Cory
    Mery Christmas to you to!
    I think a 34 year old Henry coming of the bench for 20 minutes is still better than AA or Chamakh. Unless he actually sells Chamakh in Jan he won’t buy another striker.

13. Red Arse - Sssh ... Not so Loud says:

Hi Cory,

Thing is Arsene has had Thierry strutting his stuff in training for a couple of weeks, so he would not be signing him ‘blind’.

If Titi was not up to scratch, AW would simply not do the deal.

My own concern (not trying to second guess AW) is that Thierry was such a brilliant player (probably the best ever in the EPL) while with us, I would not like him to throw away his reputation as an all time great by being just “OK”.

great clips from the video king….chas.

After considerable thought I give my vote to the recent goal against Everton, as body position and angle had to be 100% accurate for him to execute that goal,and it also secured the points. The volley against Charlton looked more spectacular but the everton goal edges it for me.

With regards to TH14 he did get 10 million in his final year as part of his contract off which I don’t have the full facts , has a statue to honour him, so the least he can do is play 6 weeks for free :)

A very Merry Xmas to you all.

15. Red Arse - Sssh ... Not so Loud says:

Just a Festive Wish to all Gooners, especially AAers with family who are unwell;

have a GREAT MERRY CHRISTMAS, and hope to see you later!

16. My heart say’s yes but my head says no. TH14 is a legend, the statue outside The Emirates confirms the fact, but the risk of tarnishing his image is not worth the candle.

Let’s remember the imperious Thierry, the way he played in his pomp, the pace, the skill, the goals.

Could he hack it in today’s Premiership? Maybe, but lets not risk it.

Thanks for the memory Thierry, it’s time to call it a day.

Happy Christmas to all AAers.

17. Cheers chas, as always your videos are a smash hit.

@ LG

i never really thought of it that way tbh. You are dead on. My heart says yes please (if he scored for us i think tears would stroll down my face), but he should be remembered as that unstoppable player that we will only see once in a life time.

18. Merry Christmas to all the AA’ers.
    Hope everyone enjoys it, i’m sure some are sinking more peroni’s than you can poke a stick at.

Thank you all for making this a great place to visit, you’re all top notch people that i hope to have the pleasure of meeting sooner rather than later.

What a joy to read and watch Chas – great stuff.

For his 2011 goals I can’t disagree with you. That volley against Everton was perfect technique – but also a really, really important goal that brought us three points in a game where, for a while, we looked destined to get only one.

20. gunnern5 says:

From Arsenal.com

………………………………………………………………………………….

Wenger – I’ll take time over Henry decision

By Rob Kelly

Arsène Wenger says that he will use the Christmas period to decide whether to re-sign Club legend Thierry Henry.

Arsenal’s all-time record goalscorer has been training with the Gunners during the MLS close season and could offer a short-term fix for Wenger when Marouane Chamakh and Gervinho depart for the Africa Cup of Nations.

Wenger insists he has not yet made his mind up on Henry.

“That’s why I have Christmas Day off – I have to think about that,” he said.

“Short-term is ideal for us, but I haven’t made any enquiry yet. Thierry is not here at the moment. It has never come up in conversation!

“The first of January is the vital date for us. We have seven days to make decisions and I will make a decision in the next seven days on players.”

21. Sometimes I think Wenger should say “no comment” to things he is asked.

22. Ajileye Clement ADEOYE. says:

RVP’s best goal of d season is d goal against Everton in d EPL.

23. Hi all

Just checking in quicky to see that everyone is fine. The goal against Everton was supremely amazing and that would have to be my favourite for best goal of the year.

Two games to go and a record to be smashed ………..

Thank you chas for putting together a really enjoyable post at such short notice.

24. TotalArsenal says:

Hi Chas, thanks for a very entertaining post. Best van Persie goal: van Persie junior :) There are so many quality RvP goals; I just cannot decide. I loved his header from Song’s cross against Dortmund the other day: I didn’t know he had that in his repertoire.

Hi Rocky, brilliant post yesterday, and I fully agree with you :) BFG should always start, if fit, and either TV or Koz should be paired with him.

Merry Christmas to all AA-ers. Have a great time with friends and family! :D

25. VCC says:

Smashing post Chas.

May I wish ALL AA’ers a Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year.

Love this Chas. Well done.
    Everton for me. Firstly, its a great goal and selfishly secondly, I was there, getting cold and also getting a little oooer about the result. So not only genius finishing, but great timing as well.

27. Right I am off for Christmas time.

See you all in Tavern on Tuesday.

28. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Great post chas,
    The goal against Charlton is my favourite goal ever , love it !.
    I`ve only been on this site about 5 or 6 month`s, but it`s been a joy for me. Great technical football knowledge , great knowledge fullstop !. Oh and then there`s the loonies, my favourites ! . No wonder were called Gooner`s ( the best name). :shock:
    A fantastic multicultural brother and sisterhood of everything Arsenal.
    Thanks for putting up with me !
    A Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all.

29. harry says:

Great post Chas……..Robin is a truly world class player….

Favourite Goal:

His strike against Barca

@GIE—-@2.46 I disagree, replace sometimes with “most of the time”………

I understand some peoples concerns about Henry watering down our memories of him by coming back, but I dont think 8 weeks will harm what we remember him by at all………He truly will give us an option whilst Gervinho is away, and I am sure he would like to add another couple of goals to his tally…….And he would be available for Champions league, his experience would be invaluable………

I will say an early Happy Christmas to all now for those not around or busy (!) tomorrow, but will nip in early tomorrow for the full bells and whistles version.

31. SharkeySure says:

I’m in the let Legends remain Legends camp regarding Mr Henry. No doubt he’s a better option off the bench than Chamakh…but thats not really the yard stick that we should be using is it..??

32. SharkeySure says:

The SharkeySureSeasonalCheerGenerator has generated some Seasonal Cheer (cos that what it does !) to all AA’ers.

I have loved this site from my very first visit.

I’ve now met up to 15 of you (plus siblings) and hope to meet many more.

I also feel fortunate to have witnessed many newcomers turn into site mainstays, and I’m glad to see that trend continuing…..

I actually get a little misty-eyed when I think how good this site is. The intelligence, the footballing insight, the incredible writing, and best of all the humour,

The humour on here ranges from highbrow comedy thru pythonesque farce, and right on to the sort of childlike lunacy that even the Chuckle Brothers and The Krankies would deem to be beneath them.

I feel honoured to be a part.

May many thanks to all who contribute, and even greater thanks to those special few who make it all happen !!!

Best wishes to you all

33. SharkeySure says:

Plus siblings..? I meant one or two offspring.

No gags in there about Norfolk …thanks

Well said SS, nothing more to add.

35. Carlito11 says:

Lovely piece chas! Just dropping in to wish all the AAers a god jul as they say in Sweden!

36. TotalArsenal says:

Beautifully said Sharkey :) With such technical footie insight and command of language, I am looking forward to a few more post of you in the new year!

Zalig Kerstfeest!

37. SharkeySure says:

Haha Total..it looks like I’ve bolted myself up with that last post!!

I am long overdue to do one…and I do have a couple of ideas.

It shall be done !

38. fatgingergooner says:

I don’t want want Henry to tarnish his name in any way, but this has to be looked at from an Arsenal FC point of view and no other. If Wenger is reluctant to bring in a new striker in January for big money, which the majority of us think will be the case,then bringing Henry to the club has to be done.

We all agree that we need someone to cover Gerv and MC, so if AW decides to leave the purchase of a new striker until pre season so that he can take his time and get the right man for the job, then Henry must be brought in.

Henry is better than relying on luck with injuries and youngsters. It’s as simple as that.

39. TotalArsenal says:

Good news Sharkey!

Agree with you FGG.

If Henry were to join us, who would bet against him doing a really good job for us, in terms of assists and goals? I would not. Who would doubt he would give his all for the club? I would not. Who would doubt he still has the skills and fitness to do a job for us for two months? I would not. Who would doubt that the rest of the team would not get a lift if he were to play in an Arsenal shirt again? I would not. Would he excite the fans with a short return for the team? Oh yes, he would. A no brainer for me.

40. fatgingergooner says:

The thing is TA,

I would put a lot of money on Henry playing very little if he did sign for us and we suffered no injuries during his time at the club.

He would be a back up and used as such, but behind the scenes, he would be invaluable.

If injuries do occur then as I said before, he has to be a better option than Afobe or someone playing out of position. IMO anyway!

41. TotalArsenal says:

FGG, Wenger would love to give RvP a bit of rest between the games in January, but he knows he cannot risk it at the moment, with Chamakh desperately out of form and Park not ready. On top of that there is the risk of injury to either the Gerv and Theo, with Arshavin suffering from the same problem as Chamakh. Wenger played Soll a lot more than we expected, and I would expect the same with Henry, if Arsene were to sign him.

42. fatgingergooner says:

TA,

I think Sol played a lot more than expected due to injuries to others. I don’t think AW ever intended him to play as many games as he did.

With Henry I think it would be the same situation. I have no doubt that he could do a job if we were desperate, but I don’t for one second think that Arsene would use him for 90 minutes in games to give RvP a rest. That would only happen if others were injured. If Arsene thought he could be used to rest RvP then he would be on his way to the airport now to pick him up!

43. TotalArsenal says:

FGG, you might be right. It will be interesting to see what will happen in the next week or so. Wenger is hard to gage in these circumstances.

44. fatgingergooner says:

TA,

He is hard to read in all circumstances! Let’s hope this is one of the occasions when he pulls a rabbit from his hat and all this talk of Henry is just mindless babble!!!

Who knows, maybe we will get the next Henry in January!

45. TotalArsenal says:

FGG, maybe he’ll get them both: Henry de l’histoire et Henry de la future.

46. TotalArsenal says:

Henry you’re kidding

Happy Christmas to the best set of bloggers around.

48. Well said sharkespeare. i second that also.

@ TA

what a goal. Who knows he could enhance his legend status if he comes back all guns blazing. People may think ‘wow that henry has still got it at aged 34!’

Sol did a very good job for us, to the point were we we truly missed him when he got injured. I’m shocked a lower team in the EPL doesn’t play him (is he still at toon?)

49. pat says:

Henry – definite yes, he still has it! Short term loan would fit the bill I think…

Very Happy Christmas to you all.

51. evonne says:

Merry Christmas guys!!

52. evonne says:

Chas – just read your post, that was my Christmas day present :) I opened all the other presents last night, but left your post for this morning

I must have been a good girl, so many wonderful presies :)

But the best thing this year was finding this blog. I mean it, it really has enhanced my life, so thank you all, but special thanks go to Peaches and Rasp who work in the background making sure that we have this wonderful forum. Thank you Peaches and Rasp!!

53. evonne says:

GM – you are right my friend. I’d rather have Thierry for 20mins then Chamakh or Arshavin, any day

Teddy Sheringham played till he was 40 and did ok in the last years, Becks is 36 and still has it. And so does our Tel

54. Red Arse says:

Irresistibly drawn to AA for just a minute on this Xmas morning.

Morning all, and have a Great Day. :-)

Chas, a special thanks to you, altho’ you gave the game away that I was looking at the internet, because I laughed so hard at your ‘farting elves’!! :-)

You are a very, very naughty boy!!! :-)

Merry Christmas one an all…….

Just a simple message for todays….

…….. New post………

56. [...] out some of his amazing goals over here. That last video on there is pretty neat as [...]

57. Samuel A says:

Please i want somebody to give me the number of goals Van Persie has scored this season with his right foot