January – Deal or no deal?

Written by FatGingerGooner

With so much grief given out to our esteemed manager during pre season, and with another transfer window just around the corner, I thought it might be a good time to see how Wenger’s apparent ‘panic buys’ have compared to the big money signings of some of our closest league rivals.

There were many comments written on this blog, and loads of others, slating Arsene’s dealings during the last window. Fans were worried that he had lost his touch and  that the likes of Nasri, Fabregas and Clichy were not being sufficiently replaced. But with a good chunk of the season passed, what do we think of these signings now?

First up we have the defenders. Mertersacker, Santos and Jenkinson were drafted in by AW as replacement for the outgoing Clichy and the mistake ridden Squillaci, all for the price of £17m.

In contrast, Chelsea paid £24m for Luiz in January, Man Utd went for Jones for a princely sum of £17m, Liverpool snapped up Coates for £7m and Man City threw £9m the way of Savic.

If we look at the centre backs, none of the above have really set the premier league alight. Mertersacker has been a calming influence for Arsenal but prone to the odd mistake, whilst Jones, Coates and Savic have all been used sparingly by their managers. David Luiz has however become a bit of a joke figure at Chelsea due to his awful defensive displays and his ability to start a fight in an empty room.

On the other hand, Santos and Jenkinson have both proved real bargains for the Gunners. If you think that AW paid just £7m for the pair, compared to the £17m Man City forked out for the inconsistent Kolarov last year, you can see that Arsene’s touch in the market is very much in tact.

For defenders, Wenger has definitely done better than his rival managers.

Moving on to midfield, Arsène had a massive job to fill the huge hole left by Fabregas and the even fatter, I mean bigger, hole left by Nasri. In the end he opted to draft in Arteta for £10m, Gervinho for £10m, Oxlaide-Chamberlain for £12.5m and Benayoun on loan. His rivals on the other hand splashed out on the likes of Nasri (Man City) £22m, Mata (Chelsea) £23.5m, Downing (Liverpool) £20m, Henderson (Liverpool) £16m, Mereiles (Chelsea) £12m and Young (Man U) £16m.

For Arsenal, Arteta and Gervinho started relatively slowly, but after finding their feet they have started to show the quality they possess. Arteta espescially has grown into a real force, oozing class and running games from start to finish. Ox has shown glimpses of the star that he is no doubt going to become, but Benayoun has so far struggled to get playing time.
The stand out players for our rivals have been Mata at Chelsea and Young at United, though neither has yet to live up to their hype. Nasri, Henderson and Mereiles on the other hand have all failed so far at their new homes, espescially the fat Frenchman, whos arse must have more splinters than a joiners finger!

I have no doubt that Mata and Young will prove successful purchases, but I reckon the £20m for Downing and £22m for Nasri just goes to show the value AW has found in his purchases.

For midfielders, I think AW loses points for missing out on Mata, but overall, his signings look like value for money. Espescially Ox, who looks like a future star.

Finally it’s the strikers. With Chamakh misfiring and RvP still prone to injuries, AW needed to strengthen. In the end he paid out £3m for Park and just £1m for Campbell. Other clubs were relatively quiet in the striking department so we have to look back at January for comparison. City paid £38m for Aguero, Liverpool spent £30m on Carroll and £23m on Suarez, whilst Chelsea blew £50m (yes, that’s right, £50m) on Torres.

Wenger opted to send Campbell straight out on loan to earn his stripes and his visa, whilst Park has only really been seen in the Carling Cup. It’s difficult to compare these to the others mentioned as they are not first choice, big money signings.

Looking at our rivals additions, Torres and Carroll have so far been very expensive flops, between them they have been firing £80m worth of blanks. On the other hand, Suarez and Aguero have both lived up to their huge fees. Suarez, though, has been the pick of the bunch. He may be a cheating prick, but the kid can play!

I think the real comparison may be made in January as Arsene needs to dive into the market to find a replacement for Chamakh. Watch this space.

I’m sure you will all have your own view on Arsène’s dealings this season, but for me, he has once again proved his doubters wrong. If you look at the price tags attached to some of the rival players mentioned, you can see that Arsene has lost none of his ability to spot a bargain. Let’s just hope that he doesn’t fall into his old habit of hanging onto sub standard players for too long. If Chamakh and Arshavin can be moved on in January and then adequately replaced, this new look Arsenal squad could be a real force heading into next year.

204 Responses to January – Deal or no deal?

1. Red Arse says:

Excellent FGG,

A Thoughtful, well reasoned and clearly explained summary and comparison of the value for money purchases, or not, of the top clubs’ new players.

I particularly liked your comment imploring AW not to fall back into his well meaning but pointless desire not to ditch under-performing players.

I suspect that this can arise out of a virtue in that AW wants to believe in our players and give them every chance to succeed, but somehow, occasionally, gets mixed up with his natural Gallic tendency to be obstinate!

I will try and find something to disagree with you about, FGG, otherwise I am finished for the day!! :-)

2. oz gunner says:

Cheers for the post FGG, we definently picked up a few gems and its helped the team find its feet. However, i feel the job is not complete, podolski needs to be brought in January with MC and AA departing. Wouldn’t mind goetze but thats me dreaming.

Also cheers to 26 for a great post match, although i’d like to forget the match your report was bang on.

Dictionary of RA:

Gallic:of or relating to France
    Obstinate: Stubbornly refusing to change one’s opinion or action, despite attempts to persuade one to do so

3. oz gunner says:

For all his brilliance i still wouldn’t want suarez at arsenal, mata is another story though, he has been chelsea’s best by a fair margin

4. Herb'sArmy says:

Morning all!
    As it’s Yuletide, the season of goodwill to all, I’d like to extend hearty congratulations to both Manchester clubs for reaching the last 32 of the Europa League with Stoke. I hope they learn to embrace those Thursday nights on Channel 5 and ITV4
    It couldn’t happen to two more deserving clubs, so charge your glasses and toast their new-found success!

5. Red Arse says:

Morning (here) Oz, :-)

I don’t know what is happening with me this morning, but first I agreed with everything that FGG wrote – tho’ I am still forensically picking away at his Post :-) — and now I agree with your points too!

Wish I was in OZ now too — weather over here has returned to its normal winter weather – brrr! :-(

6. Gooner In Exile says:

Sorry haven’t stopped gloating yet:

From RedAction:

This one’s for you, $amir :

“Nana nana nana nana na na na, you’re on Channel 5, Channel 5, yooou’re on CHANNEL 5….”

7. Red Arse says:

Hi Herb, and an extra smiley for your heart warming good wishes for the Mancs!!! :-) :-)

8. Arsedave says:

Personally I think one of our holes has been filled by the now accomplished Ramsay, the other one by El Bellas Artes and with Song behind them it’s looking good.

Suarez, the kid can play but can’t finish (49 shots – 4 goals).

But good post FGG to set the day off, lots of opinion and speculation to come.

9. Red Arse says:

GIE, :-)

See, it’s still good to be a Gooner by comparison with those conceited, gloating, over hyped pillocks who support Citeh and Manyoooooo. :-)

10. Gooner In Exile says:

Top post that FGG very timely.

Oh I remember all those plaudits of Fergie and getting business done early snapping up top talent.

Since the game against us Young has disappeared without trace and Rooney has been firing blanks, that truly was an “everything turns to gold” day for them.

Smalling looked ponderous last night too. And DeGea maybe one for the future in Fergies eyes but if he isn’t I see him losing quite a bit of that outlay.

Ask City fans and they will tell you Clichy has been their best signing solidifying the back four. Strange that ours is more solid without him. And I have told them to watch how he forgets the right winger.

As for our signings they were the usual “who?” or “really?” signings that Wenger seems to make that normally result in an “oh I see it now” from us fans.

Yes they have not all been as good as required (Park and Squid) but everyone takes a small gamble in the market. Wengers hit rate has always been higher than most.

Shame Lyon progressed last night because their forward Gomis looked a bit tasty last night (altho Zagreb did not put up a great fight).

11. Gooner In Exile says:

RA it’s always good to be a Gooner!

12. oz gunner says:

beautiful down here RA, 32 degree days, suns shining, birds are chirping, and i’m sweating it out in a warehouse. Life isn’t fair haha

Some of the twitter jokes posted on here have been hilarious, i’m still laughing at the channel 5 fragrance!

@ GiE

i’m hoping degea’s confidence is damaged and therefore never reaches his potential at manure, but that’s just me being petty. Agree with the demise of young and rooney. Give me the ox and walcott over young any day of the week!

13. Herb'sArmy says:

I don’t want to appear petty, RA. Credit where it’s due, especially after the way their class-less miscreants behaved on here, after narrowly beating our second-string last week.
    Maybe Earl Hickey is right, karma does work!

14. Gooner In Exile says:

Twitter is still providing amusement this morning.

Olly Holt from The Mirror is insisting all Arsenal fans are suffering collective amnesia about their criticism of the boss and that the Press had nothing to do with it and we’re supportive of Wenger?

He is being told by me and several others to maybe use more than one blog site and callers to TalkShite for his barometer of Gooner opinion.

Anyone hear Jack on the radio this morning he was unfortunately on TalkShite at least it was Brazil and Irani not Durham. Would have been happier if it was Keys and Gray.

15. harry671 says:

Interesting synopsis FGG……….

As usual the press slant was always going to negative and hence the tag of panic buying, anything to have a pop at the arsenal.

Certainly the buys, irrespective of whether they were indeed planned in a 60sec makeover or part of a strategically executed Forward Maintenance Plan, have settled down nicely.

They have along with wengers cunning, enabled a quite outstanding rear guard action thats propelled us nicely up the league, seeing us now sitting ahead of the bin dippers, which I forecast straight after the defeat at the emirates at their hands, even though the press were positively glowing at them and gloating at us.

Agreed that our purchases in the striking department need reviewing and a purchase in the window would be good, if wenger does indeed make a move.

I would disagree with this statement:

“On the other hand, Suarez and Aguero have both lived up to their huge fees. Suarez, though, has been the pick of the bunch”

Not a chance, imho, Aguero has been far more consistent and made more telling contributions. Suarez, although sumpremely talented has been inconsistent, considering he has had longer in the premier league, aguero has scored quite a few more goals and made a difference at key moments.

For me the stand out purchase has been Arteta, simply oozes class, much better than i realised. Big game for him at the weekend, looking forward to it, who is in the Tavern?

Morning all, great post FGG. We could not have dreamed of being in this position at the beginning of October and we certainly wouldn’t be were it not for the new signings.

A proper striker really is the only piece missing from the jigsaw (taking into account the return of Jack and Sagna)

I do hope that if Podolski is available, and no other club is offering silly money, we try to sign him. I don’t really care if AA or Chamakh go or not, as long as we get a striker who’s first instinct is to create a shooting chance and who then has the balls to take that chance.

17. harry671 says:

I agree GIE, wengers hit rate is higher than most, often he hits the bullseye, Kosceinly been a good example……

Morning Harry,

So far I think the Taverners will be Peaches, yourself, Rasp, chas and Micky …. anyone else going please let me know …. I’ll reinstate the widget later.

19. Gooner In Exile says:

The one problem in the striker market is the fact that ManUre will probably be in the market too.

I know people see midfield as their problem but they have young Cleverly out injured and prefer to play Rooney deeper. Chicarito pre injury hasn’t exactly been in the form he showed last year and Owen and Berba are both shot.

20. Gooner In Exile says:

One bit of good news on forward front is Afobe is now in training again. I think he looks like a talent…strong and pacy and a goal scorer.

Hi GiE,

I agree that manure will also be looking for a striker (and maybe a goalkeeper!!), let’s hope they don’t focus on Podolski.

Also the fact that the chavs are letting 2 strikers go suggests they will also be in the market. I reckon they’d both look more up market than Podolski – which would be good because I think he would flourish in our system.

22. Gooner In Exile says:

Interesting Rasp, hadn’t thought about the Chavs until end of season to be honest.

Anelka will go, but do you think they will be signing anyone in the window?

I’d still think long and hard about taking Anelka, small fee and short term contract. think he could add something to the team and has PL experience, problem is he will probably be looking for his last big money move and a 2 year contract at the Emirates is likely to provide that.

“I think AW loses points for missing out on Mata”

Why do people still think that we missed out on Mata, why do people pesist in the nonsensical idea that if Wenger had moved quickly Valencia would have sold one of their most prized assets to us?

The transfer market does not work like Tesco’s: you cannot walk in, see a player on the self for twenty million, take him to the check out and pay for him.

When are people going to realise that as soon as Wenger shows an interest in a qualty player the first thing the selling club do is alert Man City or Chelsea to see if they are prepared to pay more.

In the case of Mata, Chelsea were in the middle of changing their manager, Valencia sensibly waited to see if the new man was going to show some interest in the Spaniard, Villas Boas certainly did that and from that moment on we were never going to be able to sign him and that is not Wenger fault.

Why? Please don’t make me have to explain, the financial imbalance should be glaringly obvious.

What makes me sick the most about this dig at the club is that it was started by Arsenal supporters and amazingly it is still perpetuated by “Arsenal supporters” on here.

24. Arsedave says:

I think a lot of ManUre’s demise has been down to the absence of Cleverley. He destroyed us up at OT even though that game could have been a lot closer maybe 8-6, and he destroyed ManBillions in the Community Shield at 0-2 down. Obviously a great young talent for England as well alongside Jack.

25. Red Arse says:

Very true Herb! Plenty of money but no class! :-)

Of course you are right GIE, it is always good to be a Gooner. :-)

I was referring to the somewhat glum responses from some of our friends on here, after our admittedly dismal game on Tuesday, when I said then that it was OK to be disappointed, but we had to remember the context in which the game was played with a scratch team and not to get too down.

Not only did the big spending Mancs not top their respective groups (unlike us), they did not even qualify (unlike us) and have to play in the Europa Cup (unlike us) and have to play on shitty Thursdays and Sundays (unlike us).

How very unlike us they are!!!! :-)

Do you think the chavs would sell him to a rival and strengthen the team that could take their CL place GiE? …. dosen’t seem likely. I had assumed he would go abroad

27. 26may1989 says:

Morning – cheers FGG for the post, I agree with everything you say!

Rasp, I’ll try to be at the Tavern on Saturday – if I manage it, I’ll be with my lad, who’s only six and likely to be a bit awestruck by the pub thing!

28. Fatgingergooner says:

LB,

How do you know Mata rejected us for money?

He’s already said in the press that he turned us down, maybe Arsene could have done more to get his man?

Also, if AW gets the praise for the signings he made then he must be held accountable for the ones that he missed out on.

Don’t take it so personally LB, we all love AW, but maybe would have just liked to have seen Mata at the club. He’s looking tasty afterall!

29. Fatgingergooner says:

Surely Podolski would prefer CL football when he moves!!!!!

Too soon!!?

30. Good post FGG – it;s good to get new(ish) bloggers here with posts that are a breath of fresh air – you’ve heard from old farts like me enough times, lol.

Raspers, I’ll be at the Tavern(with my 2 boys) on Saturday around 1.45 trains permitting but will hope to get into the ground before 2.30 as the club have promised various events befroe kick off in connection with the 125th celebrations.

Morning LB – did someone get out of bed the wrong side? :?

FGG

Wenger could have said that he was prepared to adopt Mata as his son and heir and Valencia would have still told us to go to hell.

Basic ecomomics, Chelsea lots of money to waste, Arsenal, self sustaining business.

Wanting Mata at Arsenal has nothing to do with Wenger not doing enough to get him, so stop slurring Wenger’s name with your little digs at him.

Morning Rasp

Three hours sleep, if someone mentions Alonso all the toys are coming out.

Hi FGG,

Hope you didn’t mind me adding the graphic to your excellent post and flagging up my personal quest to get Podolski.

LB is correct, if we came out and stated he was our target it would only serve to alert other clubs and push the price up. Let’s hope the BFG has had a word in his ear and told him how great it is at the Arsenal.

:lol: LB

Any chance we might see you pre-match at the Tavern on Saturday?

36. Red Arse says:

GIE, do you know how long it will be before Afobe will be match fit?

If he is fully back in action by January, that may explain why AW has said, on more than one occasion, that he does not intend to buy anyone in the next trf window. (Other than when he was being flippant about someone knocking on his office door and offering him a world class player for an affordable price). :-)

37. Wenger’s summer purchases have, with one exception, proved to be shrewd if not brilliant. Santos, Meretesacker, Arteta, Benayoun, Gervinho, Oxlade-Chamberlain and to a lesser extent Jenkinson have all contributed to the squad and in most cases have prove the critics wrong. The one exception is Park, since we have him for only two years, before he goes into the Korean Army, he needed to hit the Arsenal ground running. That he didn’t seems to indicate that either he hasn’t adapted to the Premiership or doesn’t have the class required. The jury is still out. Jenkinson is another slight doubt, suspension and injuries have limited his appearances and disrupted his progress, we’ll just have to wait and see.

January can not pass without the purchase of a top quality striker, Anelka?, and, after Tuesday’s pantomime performance, a goalkeeper.

Can’t help thinking we missed in a trick in not getting Alonso :-)

So glad 26 and Chary are bringing young Guns as I won’t have to waste good money buying that ghastly Perroni rubbish. Hopefully they like a good Guiness or Stout with a splash of Ribena on top.

By the way FGG, for what it is worth, apart from that bit I thought it was a very good read.

26m, bring your son along to the Tavern – it will all be part of his Arsenal education. He will look back on it in the future with nostalgia :P

Cripes, sorry FGG.
    Thank you for the post.
    I would definately like to do some underlining with regards to the need for a goalscorer in Jan. Arsene absolutely blew it two season’s ago when we ended up playing AA up top.
    So come on Arsene, out with the magic bag.

43. Arsedave says:

What’s all this about Alonso, is he available or something? The team bus would get there quicker.

44. Red Arse says:

LG,

I agree overall with your appreciation of AW’s purchases, altho I think Park can still come good,

I am puzzled tho’ why you have never given Jenkinson much credit?

To balance your view, which of course you are entitled to, can I say that my own view, in contrast, is that I have the highest hopes for a young guy who really does love Arsenal, has a pride in playing for the club, and has always put his heart into every performance.

If you are referring to his lack of experience, then, of course, I agree but surely the solution to that is more playing time?

Arsedave, the Alonso thing is a long standing joke that refers to the assumption by some bloggers that we didn’t get him because we weren’t prepared to stump up an extra couple of million …. it’s a thorny subject for one or two :roll:

46. Red Arse says:

Morning 26M, :-)

I am so pleased that you explained that young 26M minor, might find the pub environment a tad daunting.

I had visions of him swaggering into the joint with a big cigar going, and yelling “Barkeep, the milky bars are on me! — or my dad!!” :-)

47. Red Arse says:

Rasp, you mean we could have got Alonzo for just a couple of million more? Jeez — why didn’t we then? :-)

48. Gooner In Exile says:

RA all i know is about his recovery is from his twitter feed, which said scan said all ok, back to playing with the ball and running.

According to many sites at the time it was 4 months out after the groin injury he picked up in the RedBulls game.

So arguably that means back late December/January, i remember reading about Arsenal players having core strength exercises to do whilst injured so that they could get back up and running quickly after injuries without huge strains on the body. Hopefully he will start to emerge again, he was told in the summer that AW wanted him at the club this season not on loan and signed another contract in June.

49. Herb'sArmy says:

Sorry FGG, cracking post.
    Defensively we’ve done ok, and have definitely solidified since you know when. We still don’t keep many clean-sheets, nor do we currently have a recognised full-back fit and available, and as you know, next week we visit Mansour Mansions.
    Midfield looks ok, young Wilshere is due back, Song and Walcott have upped their game, and with the exception of Arshavin, I think we are healthier and stronger than when we had Fabregas and Nasri.
    Podolski could be the final piece of the jig-saw, to compliment RvP up front.
    LB will confirm, after the OT game I couldn’t see us getting out of our CL Group. With Podolski on board, I’d fancy our chances of winning it.

50. Ah Mdi89 – on account of not being grassed up by Chary Major or minor to the Managing director I will be drinking “non alcoholic peronis”; at 12 and 14 their drinks of choice will probably be coke.

I remember Sharkey minor going for some sort of juice carton with a straw, what the yanks would call “Goofy juice”

51. Red Arse says:

Thanks GIE, that is interesting and hopeful.

I saw him playing for the youth teams some years ago, and he is another I have high hopes for, fingers crossed etc!! :-)

52. LB is The Grinch! says:

LB,

I am one of AW’s greatest supporters and certainly wasn’t intending to have a dig with that comment.

Everyone else, thanks for the positive and negative comments. Good to see so many cheery Gooners today, I have a feeling that Xmas has nothing to do with your gleeful moods!!!

Podolski.
    Can’t be around to debate this one until later, but not for me. No no no. One trick pony and not Arsenal style at all. I hate this idea that we need a tough old fashioned centre forward type. We need someone far more dynamic.
    Pato for me (slow down LB, I’ll throw in the extra tenner).
    He’s quick of thought, fleet of foot, he’s Brasilian and he’s brilliant. Arsenal style through and through.

54. evonne says:

Hi Ginga, great post, very interesting comparisons. I was one of those supporters who thought that AW fucked up this summer. We lost 2 best players and bought second rate replacements. How wrong can you be?? Years and years, time after time Wenger showed us what he is capable of, and yet we doubt him again. For me Jenkinson, Gervinho and Ox are revelation, would not swap them for any other player in PL.

Ha ha ha: “Moving on to midfield, Arsène had a massive job to fill the huge hole left by Fabregas and the even fatter, I mean bigger, hole left by Nasri”, fat arsehole he is! Smiling away when his club was kicked out of CL; he clearly could not care less, as long as he gets his millions

55. Ra,

I’m by no means writing Jenkinson off, my appreciation of the player is based on what I have seen so far. He does look like a prospect but is not the finished product. Perhaps I’m a bit old fashioned but I expect defenders to defend, any ability in getting forward is a bonus but at this stage in his career he needs to hone the defensive skills. I suggest he watches Santos whose positioning and tackling are excellent.

Given time no doubt he will turn out to be another of Wenger’s gems, unfortunately that time is not available right now, Djourou’s depiction of a pantomime horse playing at right back on Tuesday demonstrates why.

56. evonne says:

Micky – don’t worry, AW won’t buy Podolski, after all Podolski is well known. We will get someone whom nobody has heard of before, as usual :)

57. holly says:

There appears a glaring absence of ‘lets all laugh at manchester’ on here this morning……

…..I always try to be gracious in victory and not laugh at other’s misfortune; perhaps more in fear it will all come back to haunt me further down the line, but today is different.

Not sure whether it’s the 8-2, or the na$ri factor, the millions spent by city or the arrogance of united but i have littered my facebook and twitter accounts with cheap shots and jokes about manchester’s demise without a second’s hesitation, nor a care in the world for when it inevitably comes home to roost!

today is a good day :-)

‘manchester, on channel five, oh manchester on chanel five…….’

58. Gooner In Exile says:

Was doing my like for like games comparison this morning.

Quite a change from when i posted, we are still 3 points up but Dippers are now only 3 points up, Chavs 1 and ManUre 0.

I bring this up to reflect on Herbs comments about our defence. We have conceded 4 more goals in the like for like games this season, considering this is made up of 10 goals from 2 games (ManUre and Blackburn) we are actually 6 goals better in defence than the 12 comparative games last season. Which is not bad really. Our scoring record is like for like (more concerning as this cost us at the end of last season).

59. Gooner In Exile says:

Holly think we laughed ourselves out last night but you’re right not enough glee
    :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hi holly, you should have been on last night – it was wall to wall gloating, but feel free to rekindlle the joy :P

61. LB is The Grinch! says:

Ready made replacements and stars are few and far between and usually have the moneybags vultures circling above, which is why Wenger deals in potential (with a few exceptions). It’s his ability to spot potential that makes him a cut above the rest when it comes to the transfer market. Players like Jenkinson, Gervinho and Ox have been plucked from as far as League 1 for their potential.

What he is also good at is picking up players who the moneybags clubs feel are not quite upto scratch ie Mertersacker (too slow), Arteta (too old), Santos (too fat!) etc.

He may have had the odd miss, but his hate rate is top of the table and he is a genius in the market place.

62. LB is The Grinch! says:

#hit rate!

For you micky :P …….

64. Brigham says:

Very good post FGG and some excellent points and comparisions raised regarding the pre season transfer market.

Like many, I would love to see Podolski arriving in January and also wave goodbye to Chamakh and Arshavin. Will it happen, I doubt it, but we can hope.

I posted this to my FB status earlier.

UEFA have completed the draw for the next phase of the European Competitions.

Representing England in the Champions League will be the City of London.

Representing England in the Europa league will be the City of Manchester.

65. Holly, at the tail end of yesterdays post I gloated this:

“Morning all – this continual victimisation of the suffering must stop.

Oh ok then…

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ! :) :)

So where is this power shift in English football away from the capital to the north west that the Feerige/northern loving football media told us about ?

Mick Hucknall,Eammonn Holmes, Angus Deayton, Zoe Ball, Mike Atherton, plastics and glory hunters from every corner of the south east and Xhing-Jiang – your boys took one hell of a beating.

Enjoy battling it our with the Spuds for channel 5 airtime you northern monkey mugs.”

66. Red Arse says:

Fair enough, LG, good point.

It seems we are more in agreement than I thought! Not that agreement with me is in anyway a requirement! :-)

67. Arsedave says:

Ha Ha Ha very funny, in the voice of the London Olympics announcement I take it.

Who would buy Chamakh though?

Rasp,
    You choose. A one footed striker who plays to German marching music, or a biped from Brasil to the sound of Samba.

Haha micky, you know I’m a sucker for outrageous skills :oops: its just that we won’t/can’t pay the money for that kind of a player so some big bugger who wants to break the back of the net will do for me as a foil to RvP’s silky abilities.

70. Hey Raspers, why aren’t I ( +2 ) in the widget for the Tavern on Saturday ?

Apologies chary – I’ll put that right straight away

Rasp,
    That’s the problem with the Podolski line of thought. We don’t need someone as foil for RvP, we need someone who can compliment him while playing in the same team as well as cover for him when injured. Podolski is a one trick pony and not the Arsenal front total three type of player.
    I do see where you are coming from, I just don’t agree. He is an old fashioned type pf player. He would be good at Utd!!!

I think you can relax micky as I doubt Podolski is Arsène’s type of player either. If you want a Pato-type, it will have to be one of evonne’s ‘never heard ofs’ as the real thing will be out of our pocket. The problem is that any player signed in January will have to hit the ground running and that requires some sort of track record.

AW has tried and failed to get the RvP foil type of player in Chamakh. That type of player will never work in a fluent footbally side like ours. Thank God. We need a Brasilian Wrighty. Oh yes, Pato.

Right.
    Off for a while.

Oooh that’s not fair micky, the only reason the Chamakh experiment has failed is that he is not very good (but free!!) Podolski is an altogether more attack minded striker than Chamakh.

77. Great post FGG. Podolski might be the solution for our forward. I didn’t see any of his match this season but 11 goals & 4 assists from 13 match in Bundesliga could only tell that he is on good form. However I doubt he’ll come join us at least for the Jan TW, since Koln coach has rules out the transfer chance for Podolski in Jan TW.

@MickyDidIt89, I would definitely love it if Pato could come, but personally I don’t see that could happen.

I’d prefer Pato over Podolski too, but one is likely to be under £15m the other in excess of £25m and a possible target by manu and the chavs.

79. A 5 years old son talk to his father,
    Son : Dad…! Dad…! I watch United match last night, and they were beaten by Barcelona AGAIN.
    The father laugh and then reply,
    Dad : That’s not Barcelona my son. That’s FC BASEL.

Rasp,
    My mission on saturday is to un-doom you :-)
    Can’t afford £25m…pah
    We could raise half that without missing a beat through sales.
    I really am trying to work here.
    Nike :-)

I’ll hold you to that micky – I don’t believe we will sign anyone we’ve ever heard of in January :roll:

Rasp,
    I’m beginning to think you’ve been LB’d. In other words, its totally impossible to ever sign anyone any good as Chelsea, Utd or City will get them. Thing is, the world’s a big place with lots of good strikers in it :-)

True micky and we may just have found one in Joel Campbell – unfortunately he can’t play for us due to some ridiculous UK ruling I believe … 26may knows the details.

84. fatgingergooner says:

Btw Rasp,

Love the picture that you attached to this.

Sod FFP, get Noel Edmonds and his boys in and this could be the future transfer market!!!!!

Rasp,
    I bet you all the Perroni’s you can drink in one pre match session that we buy a current International in Jan.

I’d bloody love it if Balotelli played for us.

If you mean international striker micky …. you’re on. Your forfeit if I am right is that you have to come on this blog every day for a year and post this ….. “Rasp is never wrong” :lol:

Rasp,
    What a fabulous attitude that man has. Love him too.

89. Brigham says:

Micky, you could have opened yourself up there mate. Maybe we will sign an international from Zaire!

Ha Ha

91. Brigham says:

Just to add, I love Peroni also. :-)

Brigham,
    I think big and on this one, so should Arsene. An International is an International.

Peroni is a drink for Italians with Alice Bands. Fact.

94. Brigham says:

Si, dove posso comprare entrambi per soddisfare? ;-)

Wow, it’s busy on here today.
    Did something uplifting and heart-warming happen last night? :)
    Or is it simply the quality of FGG’s excellent post?
    A fine summary of ours and others transfer window dealings.

Wasn’t Andy Carroll £35 million?
    Just imagine if we had a manager who could show ‘ambition’ like that.

96. Gooner In Exile says:

Chas :D now now don’t be over critical of King Kenny the transfer value in his words is “meaningless”….wonder what the board think to that?

Actually Micky, real ale is my preference – Adnams, Green King IPA, Theakeston’s Old Peculiar etc etc. I am partial to the odd Guinness but it goes straight to my tummy and my body is a temple as you know.

98. 26may1989 says:

Having caught up on the morning’s debate re missing out on Mata, I have to say I agree with LB (whether he’s in sleep-deprived Grinch-like mode or not). I’d skated over FGG’s reference to it supposedly being Wenger’s fault that Mata is now wearing the wrong coloured shirt.

Truth is, none of us knows the reason for something as specific as that. It might have been Wenger’s fault, or Dick Laws for failing to get things moving decisively at the start of the summer when there was (apparently) a time-limited fixed fee transfer arrangeement (i.e., something Valencia couldn’t have controlled), or it might be exactly as LB describes it, Valencia quite rationally working it so they got the best money for a prozed asset. And then there’s the small matter ( :) ) of what Mata wanted, both in terms of money and football – we might have done well recently, and Chelsea might have sailed into choppy waters, but the Bridge would have looked a safer bet in July/August than the Grove.

I might criticise the club (but never one person) for not going into the summer transfer window more aggressively, because we can make judgments according to knowable facts (who’s left, who’s leaving, who’s joined etc). But without a reliable inside source there’s no way to know about what specific attempts at purchases have been attempted and failed. By definition, that’s unknowable and therefore there’s no point using it as ammunition to criticise anyone, Wenger included. Like LB, I’ve always bridled at the Alonso story for exactly the same reason: we just don’t know what did and didn’t happen, all we have is speculation. That speculation shouldn’t be invested with any sort of credibility until there is something solid to hang it on.

Manchester: whahahahahahahahahahahahahha!!!

99. 26may1989 says:

Nike’s 12:31pm: Brilliant!! :)

Brigham,
    If could kindly like to meet for soddomy?
    Ooooerr

Rasp,
    Do I like soddomy just because I’m partial to sparkling mineral water?

I wouldn’t put it past you micky :?

…. you are the ‘pink’ panther after all …….

26,
    Let’s not forget that AW alluded very heavily that things were not as he would have liked during the window.

105. 26may1989 says:

Rasp, re Joel Campbell (what sort of name is that for someone from Central America by the way??), it’s just UK employment law: as any non-EU citizen would, he needs a work permit to work here and the special rules for professional footballers stipulate that work permits will only be granted if the player has played 75% of games for his national team in something like the last two years or he deserves exemption on grounds of special talent. The question of special talent is (I think) assessed by the FA (though could be UEFA), and Arsenal’s request for a special talent permit for Campbell failed. Probably didn’t help that it was made a couple of weeks after we got a special talent permit for Miyaichi.

Other EU states have different systems, often more relaxed than ours, which is why Campbell has been able to go to France and others can go to Spain, Portugal etc.

106. Brigham says:

Micky – nothing wrong with a bit rum, bum and baccy mate and remember, I am ex Royal Navy, so be careful what you wish for sweetie! :-)

107. 26may1989 says:

Jens Lehmann, bloody love him:

“Man City play very, very boring football,” he said. “They just make their opponents fall asleep with lots of possession. But to be honest, that is not tactically very demanding. The way they play here is the way any amateur team plays, only not on such good grass. They just pack men behind the ball, have five against two and just move the ball around. The goal then just comes from a fortunate circumstance.”

“There was no life in the stadium. It was dead. The fans are so quiet. You have got to say, though, that they have not got anything really to get excited about here. They had possession all of the time, albeit in their own half where nothing was happening. It is a shame because it is not typical English football.”

“Napoli have heart and passion and I liked them. It is good that they have gone through. We don’t want to see Manchester City in the Champions League.”

Fantastic!

108. VCC says:

ManUre and Shitty have joined together to bring out a new perfume for Xmas……
    Chanel No.5.

109. VCC says:

United are red
    City are blue
    They both outspent Arsenal
    But the Gunners got through.
    Qualiteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

110. gunnern5 says:

An Arsenal fan is walking along a beach, when he sees an old bottle. He picks it up, and takes out the cork. Out pops a genie who says
    “I am the football genie. I grant 3 wishes, and everything you wish for wish for, you shall get, but every Manchester United fan will get twice what you wish for.”
    “Fair enough”, says the man.” I wish for 1 million quid”.
    “You understand that every one of the scum will receive £2 million?”
    “Yep, I can live with that”
    And, lo and behold, there appears a case of £50 notes.

“Now I wish for Arsenal to win the European Cup for 10 years running”
    “You understand that this means Manchester United will win the Cup 20 years running?”
    “Yep, I can live with that”
    And, lo and behold, there appears a sports almanack from the year 2050 showing the English dominance of the European Cup

“Final wish”

After some thought the Arsenal fan replies:

“I’d like to give a kidney transplant……”

111. VCC says:

G5…..OOOHHHH your are awful…..but I like you. he he

112. gunnern5 says:

Q: Did you hear that the British Post Office has just recalled their latest stamps?
    A: Well, they had photos of Manchester United players on them – folk couldn’t figure out which side to spit on.

113. TotalArsenal says:

Nice post FGG. I like all our new signings but Jenkinson is probably our best value for money signing in a long time. I am surprised you did not focus more on the signing of Gervinho though. The best player we have signed in a long time and what a difference he has made since he arrived.

114. gunnern5 says:

Q. What would you call a pregnant Man United fan?

A: A dope carrier.

115. gunnern5 says:

Q. What do you call a Manchester United fan with half a brain?

A: Gifted.

116. gunnern5 says:

Q: How many Man U supporters does it take to stop a moving Bus?

A: Never enough.

117. gunnern5 says:

Q: What do you call a Mancunian with no arms and legs?

A: Trustworthy.

118. VCC says:

TA…I agree with you, Gervinho looks a quality signing. Jenkinson is a good back up to Sagna.
    Arteta gives us balance and experience. I like Santos, but he needs to work on his speed over the first 15 yards. Mertesecker will be a good back up to Kos and Vermaelen.
    Just want Wenger to help Van Persie out and buy a quality back up striker, then we will be sorted.

119. gunnern5 says:

Q: If you see a Manchester United Fan on a bicycle, why should you never swerve to hit him?

A: It might be your bicycle.

120. gunnern5 says:

Gervinho is only one of three quality signings, don’t forget Jenhinson and our Ox in the Box.

121. gunnern5 says:

Q: Have you heard the one about the Manc who bought an AM radio?

A: He’d had it two years before he realised he could listen to it in the afternoon.

122. gunnern5 says:

Q: What do you get when you offer a Manchester United fan a penny for his thoughts?

A: Change

123. TotalArsenal says:

Hi VCC, hope your wife is feeling better.

Like you, I’d love a quality back-up striker who, ideally, can also play on the wing. Would also be happy to get another quality winger, so either Gervinho or Theo can play in the middle. It is time for Wenger to buy Arsenal’s Dutchman of the decade: Bergkamp (’90ies) –> RvP (00ies) –> Ricky van Wolfswinkel (10ies)?

The most important thing for me is to keep the extra dimension we have upfront at the moment. Theo, Gervinho and RvP have between them almost everything an attack needs and as they change positions during the game, we are now so unpredictable and difficult to defend against. Gervinho has added that extra dimension, and both RvP and especially Theo are benefiting from this tremendously. Long may it continue! :P

124. California Gooner says:

Does anyone else feel we could use a player who can fill in at right back, left back, midfield…

(just kidding)

New perfume being sold in Manchester

CHANNEL 5

From twitter

“Merkel and Sarkozy have called Sir Alex Ferguson to discuss the best Euro exit strategy”

127. Red Arse says:

Brigham,

re: 1:07; Dove vuoi, Marinaio! :-)

128. evonne says:

Chas – brilliant! He will exit soon, they haven’t got a squad to play in Europe. The blue Mancs can play bench warmers to give them playing time and practise in Europe, and possibly collect a trophy. Fergie cannot afford any more injuries, so he will exit swiftly.

How long is Vidic out of action for :)

129. evonne says:

sorry Chary and GM, Vidic = Vile Vidic, of course

130. Gooner In Exile says:

They’re talking medial ligament Evonne. If its minor we are talking 2-4 weeks looking at the incident and the pain I’d guess 2 months if very lucky.

131. Definitely vile, Evonne.

I’m hoping he’s out for the season, add that to the turtle faced drug cheats loss of form and ManUre will be looking quite weak at the back.

FGG. Very enjoyable read. Thank you. It was a surprise not to see Park play on Tues, however he performed it would have been better than Arshavin.

CG. Hope all is well. You know my opinion ….

Chary. “turtle faced drug cheat” I thought you were a big fan :-)

Chary has mellowed BR.

135. mick hucknall. Shit face, shit team, shit music.

136. Just seen kenn dalgliesh talking about the fa (fucking arseholes). Fair play to him. If an Arsenal player appealed one of thier bans they’d increase it. We’ll get what we deserve in the euros.

137. I’m quite laid back about ManUre nowadays MDi89 :)

138. GiE – 2 months if we’re lucky or red nose is lucky ?

139. evonne says:

I cannot believe the TalkShite radio!!!! They are asking listeners why they are laughing at both Manchester teams exit from the CL??? They don’t seem to think it is funny and went on to say that to enjoy their exit is anti-football!!! Because 2 great teams are no longer part of that competition??

Are they having a laugh?? Ha ha ha ha ha, not funny? No, not funny, fucking hillarious :)

140. Well said Evonne, Talk Spittle are just another bunch of media whores who pimp themselves out for Red nose and his Old Toilet crew.

If we went out they would be inviting their listeners to phone in with their obituaries for AFC.

Cretinous muppets, the lot of them.

141. VCC says:

TA 2:32 ..Many thanks.

CA 3:00 ..What a shame we could not keep him. Good character.

142. Gooner In Exile says:

Surely two great teams would be in the next stage of the CL? Like I don’t know Barca, Madrid, Milan, Arsenal, Apoel Nicosia.

Still not sure how Chavs got through on that criteria.

My my the language is spicy on here today :oops:

It looks like Santos may miss the next 3 games – I blame chas for writing that post singing his praises. I’m not as confident as the rest of you that we have the personnel to fill the missing shoes. At the very least, the attacking threat of our fullbacks will be reduced.

Last one ever, I promise.

145. pato says:

pls 4get big money player 4now and have a look at oscar cardozo of benfica.
    he is at d last stage of his contract
    and a player who can stand his ground in any league. pls pls and pls

146. evonne says:

Sorry Rasp, but such an occassion does not happen every day!

The wind is Scotland – I think someone might be getting the famous hairdryer treatment from Fergie :)

You’re not getting out of it that easily chas ;)

Hi evonne, I’m beginning to think Fergie’s days may be numbered – not now but maybe at the end of the season. What the disgruntled manu fans don’t understand is that like us, fergie doesn’t actually have the money to splash out on a £50m superstar who may or may not come good. Either way, it is great to see manure decomposing :lol:

148. Hello all

I can’t believe I missed all the fun last night and the sniggering all day today. We are a great band of supporters aren’t we, why on earth should we mourne the fact that the oily ones and the mankie ones couldn’t manage to get out of their groups????????????? They had 6 games just like any of the other teams, if they couldn’t hack it then they couldn’t hack it ;)

Great post FGG, I love our new Spaniard and our new Brazilian and Yossi. The decision may have been forced on AW to buy but I think he bought well.

Shouldn’t listen to it I know but I just heard talksport declare that Fergie needs to buy a defender, a mid-fielder and a striker ……… sound familiar :)

149. evonne says:

Rasp – let’s hope he’ll be gone soon. Love him or hate him, he was great for ManU, without him they would never win half the trophies that they did. The day he goes, they will start on a downward spiral, the sooner the better

Rasp. Hold hard there. What makes you think that MU are potless? And quite frankly, if they sacked SAF there could be a couple of lynchings of those Americans.

Much as we detest them, MU are PL Champs and what money they have is earned from merch ++ not a “gift” from some media hungry billionaire.

Fergie has said he will stay in the job as long as he can – End of the season? Only if he thinks his health is failing.

But as you say, great to see them decompose

Evonne. Damn right.

Hi Raddy, I make that assumption based on their transfer activity over the last couple of seasons, they have to service a huge debt. The £80m for Ronaldo was not invested back into players and they didn’t push the boat out that much last summer when it was apparent that they needed reinforcements.

They didn’t sign Schneider when it looked like all they had to do was meet the asking price and wages (which were very high)

Interesting discussion and after last night’s results I see more activity in the transfer window than for many a year but for United,Chelsea, even Spurs and liverpool and us, slightly different reasons.

IMO most of the dealings will be loan deals as i never second guess what AW is thinking and of course quality players are not often available in January.

With regards to SAF I wouldn’t under estimate him, as despite not qualifing he has a way of building a winning mentality which is second to none..
    With regards to our squad I think we might see up to 6 players leave in the Summer and possibly 2 come in.
    Anyway roll on Evertoon, have fond memories of thrashing them quite recently at least twice at home and away first game of the season away a few years back when denilson (remember him) scored a screamer.

155. kelsey, kelsey kelsey how are you, so nice to see you ;)

156. Just looking at the Tavern widget for Saturday -we have a confirmed starting XI, just need some subs to fill out the bench(or push the other XI for a starting place).

Is this a record ?

157. Gooner In Exile says:

Indeed Chary and Chas is almost always a +3 with JC and brothers in tow.

Think the Stoke home and Bolton home were good numbers. As was Fulham the other week.

How many of the other blogs have such regular pre match Peronis I wonder.

158. Irishgunner says:

My, my, my those Manc fans are work can be a tetchy lot.

I had my fun today … :lol:

159. Yeah, I remember the Bolton game GiE, sadly through a Peroni haze, oops.

The matchday isn’t complete without the pre match AA libation.

160. Irishgunner says:

*at work

161. Hi Maire, there are a few gooners at work who I shared grins and chuckles with today, the lone ManUres kept their heads down.

162. SharkeySure says:

Loving this post. Sterling work FGG.

I remember arguingwith two Arsenal ‘fans’ who bemoaned that we’d bought Kozzer whilst the Blue Scum had bought Luiz. I asked them if they’d actually seen a lot of Luiz, cos the little that I had seen of him had made me question his mental state.

Six months on and its generally accepted that Luiz is controlled by a 10 yr old on a playstation.

163. SharkeySure says:

UEFA, FA, FIFA. Scum.

Violent conduct, 3 match ban, end of story.

If that was an appeal to the PL, you would get a game or two added for being ‘frivolous’.

Maybe it was Rooney’s ‘previous good character’ that swung it.??

What a complete and utter joke

164. Irishgunner says:

Chary – The Manc fans were trying to keep their heads down today, I was having none of it :lol:

165. evonne says:

Irish – go on, tell us, i was waiting for your story :)

I only had some fun with a blue Manc, but he wasn’t too gutted

166. Irishgunner says:

Evonne – Well, the guy that was been a smart yesterday, I did as was suggested to be yesterday I went up, pointed in his face and laughed.

And for my female friend …. I went up, pointed in her face and laughed :lol: And every time I passed her I was like “BENFICA, BASLE, AND GELATI???? :lol: ” just rubbing it in.

They tried to moan on about been ahead of us in the league, I told them they should concentrate on the Europa League :lol:

167. evonne says:

Good girl Irish, fantastic :)

168. Irishgunner says:

Evonne – It might just go on until tomorrow, I think I missed the odd Manc fan or two :lol:

169. SharkeySure says:

I was at work for 9 hrs today and football was not mentioned once. What a completely mad dept I work in.

Another gooner and I had a few laughs via email, but that was it,

Thankfully I had a bellyful on here last night.

170. Irishgunner says:

I actually met a fellow Gooner at 8:05am this morning walking down the corridor.

Me: Did you watch last night?

Him: Yea … hahahahahahahaha

Both of us had a right proper belly laugh :lol:

171. Brigham says:

RA

re your 3.38pm – In a tall glass please! :-)

172. pat says:

a player I have always liked is Agbonlahor – got pace, skill, can play on the wing or through the middle and premiership experience. Might be able to do a job for us?

173. gooner lost in cornwall says:

I said on here last night, that I was looking forward to listening to Talksport today as they would not be slagging The Arsenal off. It was going fine until Aidrian Durham came on at 4pm, he never disappoints, that chip on his shouder could feed Africa.
    Incase you haven`t heard it, on a more serious note, could all you AAers, with the rest of other football fans, before kick off ,please observe or join in a one minute laughter, at the two Manc`s relegation to the Europa league.
    FGG, a good read there.

174. Brigham says:

To mark the exit of both Manchester sides from the Champions League, each football match this Saturday will be preceded by a minute’s laughter.

175. SharkeySure says:

Count me in Brig and GLIC….

Can I start now….??

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

176. Gooner In Exile says:

Pat I thought about him the other day, think under McLeish she will soon want out of Villa, be difficult to tear him from his club though.

177. VCC says:

SharkeySure…. I started last night.

178. VCC says:

Tv guide for watching European football. Arsenal and Chelsea Sky Sports. City and United Channel 5. Liverpool ESPN Classics.

179. Gooner In Exile says:

GLIC not sure if your on Twitter but its worth following @TalkShite they go in to overdrive when Durham comes on airwaves, kind of rehash everyything he says but in a more truthful way.

180. gooner lost in cornwall says:

GiE,
    Sorry , I`m not on twitter, I spend enough time on this site let alone something else, I think Mrs glic would take a barbed wire baseball bat to my goolies if i spent even more time away from her ! :roll:
    I shall sneak a look if i can though !. Durham comes out with some right corkers, and now i just lap it up ,as i dont take him seriously !, I seem to find him somehow entertaining.

181. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Off to laugh in my sleep. :lol:

182. pat says:

Yeah my thoughts as well GIE – hard for him to leave, but apparently he was thinking about leaving if Houlier hadnt got the boot. I think he would be in a similar vein to Arteta – would jump at the chance to join a team like the gunners. He would get alot more goal chances with us thats for sure.

183. ozgunner says:

good call pat. I remember when henry left we were linked with Ag. He was suposed to be the next big thing at one stage, in a declining team like villa he is wasting his talent. His pace and strength could be a real asset, and as you said could be an arteta like signing (cheap and of the highest quality).

Podolski/Ag i’m not bothered. I trust Arsene will pull out an Eduardo like rabbit (F’n taylor that man was going to be an arsenal legend!!!).

Click on the CC button for subtitles.

185. pat says:

I heard a couple of names that I cant recall in the youth setup – we seem to have mid / def players making the break through but seems as though no strikers ready to break into the first team…

Another prem player that could be good backup is the American from Fulham – whose name I also cant remember… got it – Dempsey.

Or do we give Walcott the central role he craves?

186. ozgunner says:

hahaha chas, that could be a useful tool. I’d like to put one on AA to shock him into games.

@ Pat

i liked what i saw from Afobe in the emirates cup, he looks very promising. As does campbell. I can never tell with youth though because i liked the look of simpson, JET, sunu and watt (i know he’s still on the books but he won’t make it as a first teamer at arsenal) but they never made it through. Hopefully freeman can continue developing through the ranks also

187. ozgunner says:

Walcott deserves his chance down the middle. However, he has been amazing down the right so i wouldn’t change him while we are on the up. I don’t know whether he trains down the middle at times to groom him for the role, if he isn’t surely a good pre-season as striker would do the trick. Then we can judge him from there

Haha oz.
    My first thought was Arshavin too.
    Then it moved on to Van der Faart, Nani, Evra…..what fun it would be.

The FA could give one to the 4th official to combat diving.

Suarez would be jumping around like a landed fish

190. pat says:

The Ref got shocked too – Crappenburg could have done with the electro shock treatment last weekend…

Looking for a good book (for kindle). Any ideas?

192. Arsedave says:

Wolves fans are going to sing this;
    Man U number 5. (Sung to the tune of Mambo number 5) A little bit of Chico’s broken toes. A little bit of Fergies whìskey nose. A little a bit of Evra crying ‘race’. A little bit of giggsy’s pixie face. A little bit of Vidic seeing red. A little bit of Rooney’s baldy head. A little bit of Nani taking a dive …you can see it all on Channel Five

193. Arsedave says:

Sorry meant to say, that’s after Brigham’s minutes laugh before the start.
    (Sorry Brigham, misread your name last week, thought it said Bingham)

194. Red Arse says:

What genre is your favourite BR?

195. pat says:

They wont be seeing Vidic on Channel Five – maybe ward 5 – he did his cruciate ligament apparently…

RA. Novels. History. Anything entertaining and not too highbrow e.g. I just finished Bill Bryson’s “Home” which was educational and fun

197. evonne says:

Raddy – have you read ‘Three bags full’? It is a sheep detective story, great easy read, very clever :)

198. Red Arse says:

Raddy,

I was going to give you a list of different novels I have read and enjoyed. But many of them are not yet on Kindle or other e-books formats.

You have probably already thought of perusing the Amazon Books site. They list books by ‘type’ – crime thrillers; science fiction, romance; historical etc/or by author – but the list of books tells you which are paperback or e-book or whatever,

I buy many of my books there, and there is always a ‘deal’ on offer, it seems!

199. TotalArsenal says:

Good morning to all AA’ers :)

BR, you might want to have a look at Helen Dunmore’s books (The Siege, The Betrayal). Both books combine a bit of history with fiction and are set in and around St Petersburg. They are quite serious books though (especially The Siege is not a bundle of laughs), so they might fall under your ‘too highbrow’ description. But they are very good books of which I learned a lot.

200. Hi Radders, if you like your scandinavian noir, how about some Henning Mankell ? I’ve been reading Faceless Killers and have been quite caught up in it thus far.

Morning all,

….. New post ……..

202. Brigham says:

@ Arsedave – no worries mate, quite a few people do that! ;-) :-)

203. copd says:

copd…

[...]January – Deal or no deal? « Arsenal Arsenal[...]…