Prince Robin saves the Big F****** German

Written by Gooner in Exile

After two weeks of interlull we could once again enjoy proper meaningful football with a trip to the Fine City of Norwich to take on Paul Lambert’s promoted Canaries.

The only selection problem facing Wenger was whether to field Koscielny, Djourou or Yennaris at right back. In fairness it was a no brainier, Koscielny is one of the first names on the team sheet on current form and out of our relative plethora of centre backs probably most adept at playing right back having had experience there in the lower French leagues.

The team started brightly with Walcott using his pace to scare Tierney and Gervinho causing problems on the left. The skipper was showing why he is the most feared attacker in the Premier League right now with movement and sublime touches that the Norwich defence could not cope with.

One of the early chances fell to van Persie, to the shock of Arsenal fans everywhere he failed to convert it. The team was carving out opportunities and controlling possession so easily that it was only a matter of time before the deadlock would be broken.

The best chance of the opening fifteen minutes came as Gervinho found Walcott arriving in the box he cleverly stopped and curled the ball past Ruddy with his left foot, Martin lunged towards the goal and somehow managed to clear the ball over the cross bar to prevent the opener.

It was Norwich however who took the lead against the run of play, Mertesacker came over all charitable (perhaps a Children in Need Hangover and a confusion of Pudsey with a Canary) and became the Big Friendly German, unnecessarily allowing the ball to bounce when playing it early or just clearing the ball into Row Z would have been the better option. Morrison bundled past the German and slotted the ball under the advancing Szczesny.

Szczesny’s look at Per summed up how we were all feeling about him at that moment.

However this is the new Arsenal, goals given away are just another obstacle to overcome, there was no ten minute spell where we felt we could go more goals down, the team instead set about getting the equaliser.

After another period of more spurned chances we equalised, Gervinho advancing down the wing brought the ball inside and fed van Persie he turned and found Walcott, he pushed it past Tierney, sprinted onto it, looked up and drove the ball towards the centre of the goal and Gervinho. The Ivorian managed an air kick back heel when a simple tap in would have sufficed, thankfully Robin couldn’t miss the opportunity to add to the seasons tally and he had ghosted into the box unmarked to tap in from two yards.

The half played out with more opportunities for Arsenal to take the lead but unfortunately they could not make any of them count.

The second half started well with more fine attacking play. Vermaelen breaking forward and managing to deliver a cross which found Gervinho but he could only head weakly at Ruddy. Soon after Gervinho had another chance to break the deadlock, played in by a beautiful reverse pass from van Persie he rounded the keeper but did not have the composure to pass in to the empty net.

It started to feel like we would not find a deadlock, and some legs were looking heavy from International duties. Then Ramsey disposed Martin and was immediately brought down, Song collected the loose ball and drove forward, Gervinho broke left, and Robin broke right, Song took his time and played in van Persie, it looked like he may have forced him to wide on his right foot, Ruddy came to narrow the angle and but Van Persie calmly lifted it over him with the chocolate leg and the ball nestled in the net.

The rest of the ninety played out with little incident, our new found maturity and responsibility meant that our attacks were limited to three or four players rather than five, six and seven of last season, and the defence rarely looked exposed or troubled.

All in all a job well done, three points were much needed to continue the form we have been showing in the last few weeks and to keep the momentum five Premier League wins on the bounce 15 goals for 6 against.

Undoubtedly there will be more people saying we rely on van Persie too heavily and calling us a one man team after another brace to get us over the final hurdle. Well here’s the thing, thats the laziest punditry I currently hear. Robin van Persie is a centre forward, you expect him to score the bulk of the goals. He does not score all goals by picking the ball up on the half way line and running past everyone, he scores goals by finding good positions and being played in by one of his talented teammates, that nearly every chance he has goes in means the team look to find him with the final ball more often.

Ratings:

Szczesny 8 – Goalkeepers union speaking here but i dislike a keeper getting a 7 just because he didn’t have a lot to do, everything that was asked of him he did well, no chance for Norwich goal, if he had saved it he would have got a 9.

Koscielny 7 – Strong defensively and Norwich did not get a look in on our right flank. However judged as a full back he did not get forward enough to support Walcott.

Mertesacker 6.5 – I know most will expect him to get a lower score because of the mistake that led to the goal, but in all honesty it was the only mistake he made al day, unfortunately he was punished for it. Other than that he swept up and closed down well and looked comfortable.

Vermaelen 8 – Won everything in the air, solid in the tackle and offers an alternative when bringing the ball out of the back line.

Santos 7 – This guy is marmite you either love him or hate him, I think I love him, he is an under-rated tackler and does well going forward. Has a tendency to give me kittens every now and again with a relaxed pass, he just plays the game he knows, pass the ball and trust the receiver.

Arteta 7 – Seemed to suffer really from two weeks off, once up to speed set about providing a useful screen to break up attacks and kept the ball moving in the right direction.

Song 7.5 – Comfortably dealt with all Norwich could chuck at him, filled in at centre back when Vermaelen went wandering forward, and good work to seize on the opportunity to set up the winner.

Ramsey 7 – Worked hard to get in good positions, but wasn’t always found by his teammates. Pounced on the poor touch by Martin to allow Song to break forward for the winner.

Gervinho 7.5 – Getting better all the time, movement good, dribbling good, passing good, finishing must do better, but I’m sure it will come with time.

Walcott 8 – Purple patch time for this young man, finding a way to beat his man every time, and using the ball to good effect. Unlucky not to have scored but a fantastic all round performance.

van Persie 8 – Great movement to be on the end of the first, sublime finish for the second. Good link up play and leadership.

MOTM – Walcott, constant threat and end product.

153 Responses to Prince Robin saves the Big F****** German

1. 26may1989 says:

Nice one Exile, excellent write-up. I thought Arteta did a shade better than you saw but we’re talking about minor differences.

I don’t really care what Sky’s pundits think re who the MOTM is, but you just know that, when the great van Persie scores two goals, there’s only one possible decision from Sky Towers. The fact Walcott played at least as well, arguably a bit better, counts for nothing, because (and here’s my point, finally) minds have already been made up before the game starts. For someone as routinely slagged off as Walcott to be recognised as being the best performer, he doesn’t just need to be the best performer on the day, he needs to do it by a distance. Much safer for these pundits to stick to the guy who’s scoring for fun, and who they can build a “one man team” story around (esp when there’s chat about that guy’s contract).

Grump over, back to cooking lunch. If I don’t get the chance to check in later, here’s hoping for a great result in the Chelsea v Liverpool game today. Beyond lots of injuries and red cards, I’m not really sure what a great result would be, but I’m sure I’ll convince myself after the event that the outcome is the one we wanted….

Morning all,

Thanks GiE, as match reports go, that is a beauty!

Thanks to chas for the screenshots (I hope Sky don’t sue)

Apart from Walcott not getting the credit he deserves, I think TV and kozzer were immense again and had Jenkinson not been injured, they would have been our CB’s and we would have won the game at least 3 nil.

As regards pool v chavs, we want a draw as we do in all games between top 6 sides.

3. Having watched the game on television I think that is a very fair write-up GiE.

BFG is getting a slammed in the papers, and on the Interweb thingy, for a split second of hesitation, yes it resulted in a goal but that’s not the end of the world is it? I much prefer him at centre back than Djourou or Squillaci, and that is not faint praise. I’m convinced that he will turn out to be a stalwart of the defence for some time.

Andre Santos may be Marmite, but my favourite snack is Marmite toast so you can see where I stand. How many games has he played on the trot? Reliability is just what we needed.

Walcott for MotM, no question, RvP? Well that was just a normal game for him wasn’t it?

Onwards and Upwards!

4. oz gunner says:

Great write up GiE. I love it how when peaches puts the pressure on you give the ‘oh alright i’ll do it’ and though its going to be a half-arsed job. But everytime it’s quality. I agree with most of it, walcott was my MOTM, BFG deserves a bit of a lower rating (yes it was only one error but considering it finished 1-2 the error is magnified. If we won 1-5 then we could say error smerror and give him a great rating.).

As for Arteta i strongly believe he is the main person behind our resurgence. In the past we have been caught out by songs positioning at times, yet now when it happens arteta is there to mop up. Yesterday he did it a few times (especially late into the game). I love how he goes about it.

cheers GiE

Great report, GIE.
    (is the BFG from Hanover?)

I voted for Vermaelen as MotM. That 5-10% lift he gives everyone else is crucial at the moment.

This from elsewhere,

To PinBall Wizard;

Ever since I was a young boy
    I watched the Arsenal
    From White Hart lane to Anfield
    I must have seen them all
    But I ain’t seen nothing like him
    Since Adams kicked a ball
    It’s Tommy Vermaelen
    He loves the Arsenal

6. dandan says:

Superb article GIE, I am now waiting for one or two on here to say ooopps sorry I was wrong about Theo and by Christmas the same about Ramsey. Why do Arsenal fans always have to pick on a player, ever has it been so. I know some will call it constructive criticism but it has been far to consistant for that.
    RVP,Jack, Theo, Aaron , Song, TV, Arteta and Chesney all playing together after Christmas gives me great hope for the season end, Plus i believe that AW will buy a new partner, alternative for RvP and hopefully another left back as, I worry about our Brazilians lack of defensive nouse, although as an attacking FB he is superb and IMHO would be great to bring on from the bench on those occasions when extra pace is needed in the last half hour
    BFG then will become our reserve centre half and a squad player with Kos and TV our major pairing

7. Faniju Adewale says:

Well play gooners nd thanks 2 d great VAN PERSIE i tink dis guy worth any kinda salary per week (150,000) pls wenger shd note dis to tie d player down

8. DB says:

I totally agree with you about Santos. I feel I am one of the few who actually think he is a VERY good player and coping with the physical aspect and speed of the Premier league.

The general plan for him was to ease him into games and the team so he would be able to adapt but because of injuries he has been put into the team and thrown in at the deep end and yes his positional sense needs improving but under the circumstances he is doing a great job.

Remember the Turkish league is nothing compared to the Prem. I also agree about Theo, he was great yesterday and Mert made a horrible error yesterday but he for all the same reasons as Santos will become a great player for us.

Here’s to Chelsea and Liverpool sharing 8 red cards, 6 cruciate ligamnets and a 0-0 draw

9. Florencia says:

Walcot was the man of da match

10. oz gunner says:

Henry:

243 games (14 as a sub) – 179 goals

257/179= 1.43 goals a game

RVP (since the start of 2011):

34 games (4 as a sub) – 33 goals

38/33= 1.15 goals a game

espn.com
    (not 100% obviously because of the sub appearances, and not knowing how long each player was on the field for, but interesting nonetheless)

11. oz gunner says:

sh*t i meant ‘games per goal’ bugger

Oz. Confused until I realised it is games per goal.

GIE. Another masterpiece. It is always interesting to see which players / highlights others remember.

I had the pleasure of watching the game in the pub with California Gunner. He was not happy with Song’s performance, I was unhappy about BFG. I thought The Gerv promised much but delivered little, CG thought he was excellent.

Thankfully we agreed about TV, Theo and RvP. All Men of the Match.

oz :-) Being a young fella, can you explain to me why someone would write THE man of DA match?

Is it some kind of signal that one belongs to a certain club/clique, like the Masonic handshake?

14. Gabby says:

Please show some respect to Per…He is an experience international player and also a great addition to our defence line.
    Nobody is immune to mistakes, and to say that i am utterly diappointed by the caption of todays blog would be a great understatement.

Nice write up GIE.

Man of the match was Mertsacker, it takes character and balls to play like he did 2nd half after his mistake.

On a side note, according to my calculations, Arsenal and Man Utd will be the 2 biggest clubs in the world in six years time.The 2 things i hope for over the next few years are that the fans remain paitent, and that Arsene stays to guide us there.

16. oz gunner says:

Bobby Pires:
    *179 games (+ 41 sub) – 76 goals, 19 assists
    = 2.89 games per goal
    = 11.58 games per assist

‘Fat Boy’ Nasri (since the start of the 2010/11 season. including games for Manchester City):
    *51 games (+ 11 as a sub) – 18 goals, 10 assists
    = 3.44 games per goal
    = 6.2 games per assist (would be alot lower however already has 6 assists to his name at manchester city due to their high scoring games thus far)

Theo Walcott (since the start of the 2010/11 season):
    *39 games (+ 16 sub) – 15 goals, 12 assists
    = 3.66 games per goal
    = 4.58 games per assist

So many raved about Nasri last season yet compared to Walcott it wasn’t all that spectacular. Theo has struggled getting a run of games going due to persistent injuries (also affecting his stats). If he continues on this rich vein of form he will be a monster.

Gabby. It is just one man’s opinion.

Please write a post in defence of BFG. See Be Our Guest.

18. oz gunner says:

@ BR

haha it mystifies me, i get some people want to shorten words when sms’ing and stuff, but come on its one bloody letter!

Urban Dictionary says it’s most likely to be because the individual is a:

Wigger
    A male caucasion, usually born and raised in the suburbs that displays a strong desire to emulate African American Hip Hop culture and style through “Bling” fashion and generally accepted “thug life” guiding principles.

Often characterized by his car, or “whip”: usually an econobox modified with at least twice the car’s book value in non-power producing modifications or an SUV with at least 5500 lbs. of curb weight. Traditional trucks can also qualify here, depending on locale (southern states’ percentages are higher). All vehicles are also mandated to have at least 19″ chrome alloy wheels, regardless of make. The typical wigger is also characterized by a strong desire to adorn gold jewlery (especially heavy gold chains) and athletic warm up suits. All equipment and clothing will be paid for by the parents of the individual in question, or the parents of said individual’s “shorty” through the use of said shorty’s credit cards.

A general disposition of “hard” will be displayed among other wiggers and to kids around their neighbohood (usually labelled a ‘subdivision’ or ‘gated community’ due to its mass produced housing develoment origins). This disposition will immediately be dropped and replaced by a more typical “white boy” disposition when in the presence of actual African Americans

19. oz gunner says:

In saying that i’m shocking at English so i can’t really judge

Hi Gabby,

Mertesacker has been affectionately known as ‘The BFG’ on here for some time. You will note that he is not berated in the comments and the author says this in his ratings “I know most will expect him to get a lower score because of the mistake that led to the goal, but in all honesty it was the only mistake he made all day” so I can’t help feeling that you’re being oversensitive.

21. Morning all thanks for the comments. I have a brief interlude in a shopping expedition.

Sorry for a couple of mistypes/grammar. Chas …. I don’t know if the BFG is from Hanover but I meant to say Hangover.

Gabby not sure if you read the report but you will see that I give the BFG a 6.5 and I say how it was just one error. You will also see that I say he had a good game apart from that mistake. You may also have heard the Arsenal fans singing We’ve got a Big F***ing German as a term of endearment. The headline was supposed to intimate my feelings at that moment and the fact that there would have been a more negative emphasis on the swear word. It also was intended to be a hang man type thing where you could easily choose to insert Friendly as the adjective. Now I’ve explained it and you’ve had a chance to read all the way down to the ratings maybe youve changed your mind.

I know I shouldn’t listen to TalkShite but when I switched on some numpty Gooner caller was suggesting we needed to rid ourselves of “two clowns” at the back and sign Cahill and Jagielka, then in addition sign some blood and thunder type for the heart of the midfield, AND a forward to join RvP and then we may have a chance of finishing top 4. Sometimes I swear I watch a totally different team.

Oz. That is very funny and helps in my understanding. Thank you

23. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Afternoon gooners,
    The usual quality write up. I agree, the BFG had a decent game and the next time it will be in row Z. Ramsey looked like he covered a few miles ( you know I love the workrate thing , I heard he was a distance runner at school? ). I thought it was a classy performance overall and Norwich were flattered by the scoreline. My only gripe was with Santos “diving” in a bit too early leaving us a bit exposed sometimes, maybe he should try “jockying” the player more.

GIE. “I know I shouldn’t listen to TalkShite” …… exactly.

25. Jamie says:

I think Vermealen was excellent yesterday, there are a few leaders in this side now.

Just need to ignore the press, keep our heads down and graft.

Still think we are one short in centre mid, lack creativity at times but Ramsey is steadily improving.

I worry about Walcott, Gervinho or RVP getting injured because the replacements all worry me.

I am getting to like this side though. They have some guts.

Jamie. At some point we have to release The Ox, and Arshavin is not a bad sub for Gerv, is he?

RvP is another matter completely

Hi GiE, I have amended ‘Hanover’ to Hangover :P

28. Gooner In Exile says:

Raddy in my defence it was left tuned in as I was listening to the only commentary for the ManUre game and I heard that call before I had realised what I was listening to.

Another title could have been…… “Thanks to Robin, it didn’t go all Per shaped” …. looking at our favourite German’s face after the goal, it was plain to see that no-one was more disappointed than he!

30. Gooner In Exile says:

Thanks Rasp, it was a wee small hours job, I’m sure there were plenty of other errors.

Rasp. Excellent. Hope we don’t need to use the headline in future!

GiE,

I heard that numpty too. He prefixed his condemnation with “and I think I am speaking for all Arsenal fans” …. he’s obviously hard of thinking.

Agreed Raddy, I don’t know if he’d played much for Germany in the interlull, but it was an uncharacteristic slip that I’m sure he won’t repeat.

34. oz gunner says:

@ GLIC

in all fairness to Santos he rarely misses that one v one tackle, yes he did a couple of times yesterday. However, time and time again when faced with an opposition player he sticks a leg in and wins it (he did it numerous times against chelsea)

35. Gooner In Exile says:

A text from my Brother who was in the Barclay Stand yesterday (home end)

“Yes, it was a bit strange sitting in the home end while your teams fans were going mental . They had police horses at the game for the first time in an age apparently”

Anyone else notice that it was their record attendance (all seater). “you’ve only come to see the Arsenal”….. Never a truer word spoken.

Also enjoyed the ‘Arry song to the tune of Na$ris song.

“Arrys going down”

A word here for Benayoun. He is the perfect sub to bring on in the latter stages of a game. He injects energy and experience and is very good at gaining and retaining possession. I’m sure he’d like to start more games but I also hope he appreciates what an important role he has performed for us this season.

GIE,

Looks like Levy could be joining him. I wonder wether they will let them share a cell? If they do, Arry would be well advised to keep a guarded eye on Levy at all times.

Hi TMHT, I can’t find any info linking Levy to ‘arry’s court case, do you have a link – or is he being indicted on another matter?

Hi Rasp,

The cops are looking into claims of criminal hacking over the Olympic stadium. Besides, Levy looks like a wrongun and deserves to be done.

Anyone associated with that shower is by necessity a “wrongun”

I notice that there are 4 votes for ‘Other’ in the MotM poll – I wonder who they had in mind?

42. Fatgingergooner says:

My guess would be Arteta.

I thought he was excellent yday and went about his job effortlessly. He cleaned up a lot of Songs mess and apart from Songs assist, I struggle to see how he came out of the game with a higher rating than Arteta. The only thing I can think of is that some will see his extra pace and hustle as more than what it is. Arteta doesn’t have the pace but his positional play was excellent and he controlled the midfield without looking like he was doing as much as Song.

He’s a great signing

43. oz gunner says:

It would be interesting to see come seasons end who thinks our best signing was:

Arteta
    Park
    Gervinho
    Ox
    BFG
    Santos
    Yossi

Could be a toss up between Gerv and Arteta. So far i would give the nod to Arteta. If Gerv lifts his finishing i think he’ll take out the honour

44. Gooner In Exile says:

True Oz. Altho I really think Santos will be up there too.

Raddy, TMHT making me laugh.

The Olympic spying stuff seems to have come through their Accountants PKF, the only football team we did when I was there was Fulham….I’m glad I wasn’t there when they took on Spuds as a client I definitely would have found wrongdoing. :)

GIE

A fine post as BR would say and I would add, great structure.

46. oz gunner says:

class act that Robin

FGG, I completely agree about Arteta, he is becoming the lynchpin of the side. I think he is a very unselfish player and has become the brains of the midfield.

OK here’s a challenge for a slow sunday afternoon, equate every Arsenal footballer with a part of the body relevant to their importance to the team ……i.e. RvP is the todger etc etc

…. Song is the thighs and TV and kozzer the left and right buttocks respectively …… OK, I’m doing this on my own :oops:

50. :) you’re on your own there Rasp

Where’s Red Arse when you need him, ???

I see LB’s favourite player the legendary Alban Bunjaku scored a hattrick for the academy over the weekend.

53. Gooner In Exile says:

Haha Rasp definitely on your own with that one!

Altho surely Santos is the buttocks?

Rasp
    Na$ri was the knob.

GiE
    Great match report.

I voted Theo for MoTM but there was a good shout for RvP, Arteta and Verm.

55. harry says:

GIE, Great Report……..Agree with pretty much everything said by your fair keyboard………….

Onwards and upwards……….

Dortmund on high after beating Bayern, next, cannot wait………

Working so too busy to say more………..

Oh 2 be Gooner……….

56. TotalArsenal says:

GiE, thanks for sacrificing your evening and writing such an excellent match report. It reads really well and you picked out all the key moments. Fully agreed with the player ratings.

There is a lot of discussion about the individual performances of the midfielders today. Football is a team game and individual performances do not stand on their own. For me they all performed pretty similar, but the key thing to remember is that they bossed the Norwich midfield defensively and all contributed to ten shots on target in an away game. TEN SHOTS ON TARGET in an away game! So job wel done midfield – top job! Same against BD please.

57. TotalArsenal says:

Hi Oz, at 2.27: you left out Jenkinson. He is a strong candidate :)

Shame David Luiz wasn’t playing against us, we would have scored 7,

The man is a clown

59. gooner lost in cornwall says:

I know Arsene said TH14 was only here training, but in January we lose Gerv` and Chammy. I just wonder ?

60. TotalArsenal says:

GLiC, and you call TMHT a dreamer :)

61. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Total, Did you go yesterday or watch in a “award winning ” Norwich pub ?

62. TotalArsenal says:

GlIC, I watched at home and met up indeed in an award-winning pub with a few award-winning Gooner-friends who did go to the game. And you?

So, level on points with the Chavs and Liverpool.

Nice.

GiE,
    You are The Match Report Man. Excellent.
    I probably would have given every player more points, but then again, I have spectacularly tinted glasses. Thanks very much.

65. gooner lost in dreamland says:

Total, I had to wait `till this morning to watch the whole game on Arsenalplayer. One day I`m going to try and avoid the score and watch it “live” on `player the next day, could be hard though!.
    Question . You have “award winning” turkey`s in Norfolk, Do they have “award winning” Norfolk`s in Turkey ? :)

I read 26’s earlier comment about finding good whatever the result of Chav Pool game, and I had been thinking the same. I hate Pool more than any other team, but seeing Chavs losing at home does feel very good.
    Level on points with both eh BR? As you say, nice.

GliC,
    Have you looked into liveonlinefootie? £26 year season ticket.

One reason I am really beginning to fancy our chances of continuing this run is that there really aren’t too many bus parking teams around where Gerv and Theo would be denied space, and our lack of a truly “creative one” would be exposed.

It’s soooooooo passé to win at Stamford Bridge. I mean, it used to be something special but now every Tom, Dick and Bin Dipper can do it. Yawn.

By the way is it good that Liverpool won or not I can’t work it out?

70. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Thanks Micky, I will look into it.

71. Gooner In Exile says:

LB its good, I am currently listening to the first Chelsea fan on 606 realise that the team is too old, now waiting for the rest. :D

Other than that it probably didn’t make much difference, and to be fair they won there last year too, from what I hear Liverpool were playing the old 80’s Liverpool way, soak pressure and counter, it may work in the big games when the other team wants to score but does not work against mid to bottom table teams as they will be happy with a point. Just like Benitez era they will be undone by draws.

LB,
    Soooo passe to win at the Bridge :-)

GliC,
    For years I used to go into a local town to watch games, but preference in every pub would be given to Utd games, plus there were never any fellow Gunners.
    BR introduced me to liveonline a few years ago and I have been a loyal fan ever since.

74. Rasp and I definitely didn’t agree on the result at Stamford Bridge – of course Rasp, a draw would have been the best result but the Chavs losing at home is pretty priceless and twice in a row is gobsmackingly wonderful – are you reading ex-husband :lol:

75. Didn’t ‘pool end the chavs unbeaten run at the bridge a couple of years ago and we followed on their next home game? Oh how I’m laughing, its inconceivable that I can be soooooooooo wicked where the chavs are concerned. The only upsetting part is that the scum will be the beneficiaries should they win tomorrow night :(

Clearly much more voodoo required …………

76. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Micky,
    I had a look, but alas they are not taking any new signups until further notice. :(
    I have sometimes looked on First Row Sports live streaming, but it`s abysmal, never mind I will keep looking for updates.

77. @ladyarse Arsenal (club in crisis) level on points with Liverpool (Club on the rise) land Chelsea (title pretenders) !!

Just been on The Ticket Exchange looking for tickets and saw the “Buy a Granite Stone” for Armoury Squ. Then it says for early 2010!!
    I want one for my son.

79. evonne says:

glad that the Chavs lost, but liverpool winning puts us back to the 7th place, not so good :(

Evonne,
    Next week we play Fulham while Pool play City. Patience!

If we climb one place every three weeks, we’ll be Champions in May.

A totally random question: what position does Benayoun play?

LB,
    Over there :-)
    I thought I knew where Arteta played until Arsene got his hands on him!

Complete and utter bollocks. Just found out we have a 5:30 KO on saturday, which means leaving ground 5 minutes early. Something we refuse to do, as we miss the goals!

85. TotalArsenal says:

So true Micky! :)

We are catching up and doing fine. Look at it as a Formula-1 race (big cliche, I know). We had a very bad start but are overtaking those in front of us now. At the moment we are level with Chelsea and Liverpool, and it that respect, Liverpool winning today was the best result for us. Now we are in the slip-stream of the rather smelly Spuds and in three weeks we’ll let them sniff the mighty Arse, and next up is MU – in six weeks time we are in the slip stream of the slippery customers of Citeh, and in nine weeks time it’s Arse over oil! COYRRG!

86. SharkeySure says:

Great write up GiE. So so true about RVP, he’s finshing off some very good passages of play for most of his goals, and throwing in a few crackers of his own.

I love Santos. There, I’ve said it out loud !!!

87. Gooner In Exile says:

I always thought Benayoun was an in the hole (let’s call it the No10) kind of player. He was at West Ham from memory.

But most importantly it appears he is a i’ll play anywhere I’m asked kind of guy.

Pals with RvP too….well it seems they were having a joint kids party today for their children’s birthdays according to Twitter.

That actually led to some good banter with the Pong.

88. TotalArsenal says:

LB, Benayoun does not have a position other than the bench. He is simply given a task when he comes on.

89. Gooner In Exile says:

TA love that optimism.

90. SharkeySure says:

I didn’t think that either Song or Ramsey were at their flowing best yesterday, but both did the job of keeping control of midfield along with Arteta.

I think Arteta has been a truly fantastic signing for us, and plays like a real skipper in that area. The know how that he brings to our midfield is invaluable.

I’ve just about gotten used to seeing him playing so deep for us, it seemed quite odd in the forst few games, even though he was playing very well. Masterstroke putting him there.

91. Gooner In Exile says:

First before I reveal the RvP/Pong banter heres what Robin said to young Aaron on Twitter:

AR: Gr8 performance from the boys today, on a good run @ the moment. Fans were great!

RVP : True, wednesday u get ur well earned goal

TA,
    Very good. As I said, nice and easy. Nothing chavvy and flash like having to let it all hang out from the off like the big swinging dick’s.

Sharkey,
    Nice to see you.

94. Gooner In Exile says:

OK here is the Pong/RvP banter

Yossi : Important win today,gr8 win robin shows again how great he is well done guys

RvP : thnx m8 tomorrow we celebrate! Kids party

Pong : where my invite on this Party Skip Don’t 4get The Dench Man

RvP : dench ur invited.. as clown

Pong : RvP is Tryna Mug me #Notdeeeeench Might Have to Wear my studs For Training On monday #Onlyjokingarsenalfanscalmdown

RvP : Ha ha ha Pong ur are officially the new eboue! Deeeeench

Well said TA.

The scary thing is we will only get better. There is no reason why we cant emerge as late challangers. I hope its City were chasing, they will definately bottle it.

96. TotalArsenal says:

Citeh will be properly tested in the next four weeks. Hopefully, hopefully justice will do its work and sort them out properly before we play them on 18th of December. They could be out of the CL, CC and dropped points in the PL. Fingers and other body parts firmly crossed:

Tuesday, 22 November 2011

——————————————————————————–

Sunday, 18 December 2011
    Barclays Premier League
    Man City v Arsenal, 16:10

——————————————————————————–

97. SharkeySure says:

Benny the Goon is just a very good footballer. Thats it.

98. SharkeySure says:

You’ll see me in the flesh next week MIDI. Fulham game full steam ahead.

Works been proper sh*t this last few months, which leaves me only throwing in a few comments late in the day, whilst I know you’re an early bird.

Hows that fantastic head of hair of yours…?? If you were from Cornwall I’m sure it’d win an award !

99. SharkeySure says:

Officially the new Eboue. Brilliant

I love these twitter extracts from GiE and a few others.

I’m quite the Luddite when it comes to social media, and I’m quite averse to panning thru ALL of their ramblings in search of a nugget(!)…but I do love the few pearls that come to me via AA.

Sharkey,
    Don’t think I’ll come as its a 5:30. It means leaving the ground five minutes early to leg it to the underground, and I’m not doing a nine hour round trip to cut it short. Also means no time afterwards to enjoy the company of friends.
    Looks like Everton next up.

Sharkey,
    I’m being strongly advised to start a Twitter and Facelift for work, and I’m absolutely dreading it. Never been on either and do not want to start.

102. TotalArsenal says:

Sharkey :)

It is a contradiction in terms: anything (in) Cornwall IS award winning. In fact, that is a tautology. Micky’s hairdresser is of course award winning (and still a lot cheaper than GM):

Micky, you can buy a stone for the North Bank steps, if you haven’t seen already.

Here’s a photo of my old man’s stone in situ in Armoury Square.
    (it’s the one roughly in the middle)

104. SharkeySure says:

Mickey – there’s many a luddite who ended up riding a train and liking it, even finding it a little useful.

I remember avoiding CDs for quite a while…

In your shoes I’d be filled with dread too…but its seems a little King Canute like trying to resist. Get someone like GiE to give you a heads up on how it would suit someone in your/his/our profession.

I must admit I find it very odd when a company such as BMW invite me to view them on Twitter. I just can’t imagine what they’d put on there that would be worth ‘following’,

105. SharkeySure says:

I’ve had cars repaired for less than the cost of a GM haircut.

In fact I remember buying a Renault 5 Gordini back in the late 80’s for £170. Thats a wash and dry at GM’s gaffe I reckon.

I’m in no need of barbers these days anyway…hence my hair envy of MIDI. Think Sylvain Wiltord and you’ve got me to a ‘t’, not just follically – looks, height, weight – he’s pretty much my doppel.

Look lads,
    Clearly I missed “Hair Day” on here. How do you all know so much about GM’s Hairworks? Oh I guessed, Twitter?

Chas,
    Brilliant. I’m buying myself a slab saying “Best Dad Ever” and then one for my son!

108. SharkeySure says:

Fair do’s MIDI…that would be a bit mental. I was astonished to hear of your timetable last season at the Blackburn meet up. You’d already left by the time I’d got out of bed if my memory serves me correctly.

Here’s GM’s link.
    Click on “photos” on the left hand list.
    Proof that FaceLift works!

Sharkey,
    Its a nightmare. Hour and a half to train. Two and a half on train. Half hour to Finsbury Park. Nine hour round trip. You’ll understand why I’ll be buggered if I’ll miss even a minute. 5:30 KO’s pah!!

Haha, Best Dad Ever.

My Dad used to say I was his favourite no.2 son.
    I was the middle one of three, if you were wondering.

Chas,
    Strewth. Went to link of GM’s website and thought “OK, done all those and more in my youth”. Then went to Avant Garde and thought “No I haven’t”.

Sharkey,

Will recomend my surgeon if you want. You will go from Wiltord to Bill Clinton in no time.

Chas,
    Actually, you can’t use the “photos” link if you are not a Faceoff Member, but he has his website listed.

Micky, I just realised you had to be signed up to FacePack to see the photos.
    I hadn’t even seen the website. Wow.

116. Gooner In Exile says:

Chas, love that your Dad is remembered there. “3 Sons Proud Gooners” thats superb.

Sharkey look forward to catching up with you for Fulham. Micky surely 5 mins can be made up in taxi? Rocky is going to be with us so will be quite the gathering of AAers.

You see, there are ways and means of getting around Facemask!

Going to bid ye all Bon Nuit.
    Goodnight.

119. Micky – can’t you stay over somewhere? Are you bringing Oscar?

120. Gooner In Exile says:

Hmmm this is where my Missus goes to get her haircut….remember these are Norwich prices, and to be fair GM’s looked reasonable in comparison and thinking of location.

121. SharkeySure says:

BR 11.44 (train time?) Lol.

The kids lose me too….

Best bit of kids slang I EVER heard was a thick kid described as ‘fudge’…on the basis that those letters would represent his exam grades…with a U being for ‘Unclassified’ ! Oh dear..

122. SharkeySure says:

90mins just to get to the train. F**k me !!

123. Double98 says:

Dec 18th Away to city = if thats a win this juggernaut might not be stoppable… we have the big momentum al we need is a right back

124. SharkeySure says:

“go from Wiltord to Bill Clinton in no time.”

With a kneeling Monica L thrown in….??

Where do I sign..??

(if the above is deemed inappropriate for a family site, on a Sunday, then feel free to delete it)

125. SharkeySure says:

D98 – I think we have one in Koz. He has had some terrrific forward runs from CB, but offered very little going forwars yesterday. I put that down to caution in a new position.

By the time of the City game he’ll be more confident, I’m sure of it.

126. SharkeySure says:

Sharkey Sure’s Sunday Confession

I had the teeniest of doubts about TV5 before this season. Whilst recognising what a beast he was, I wondered if he sometimes wasn’t a bit too quick to vacate his station and leave a hole which could be exploited. I partly blame ‘zonalmarking’ and an article I read there.

Against Liverpool I watched him batter Andy Carroll in such a fashion I almost called it in to the local police. Since then he has done nothing but convince me that we have one of the best two CBs in the PL. We also have the other in Kozzer.

I can only (re-) echo LBs echoing of Harrys comment…..TV in the side adds 5-10% to everyone elses game. He really is that good.

On TV signing a new contract ‘one blog’ emarked something like ‘out for a year and rewarded with a new contract’.

Strewth Ruth* – just when you think a nadir has been reached, they find new depths.

* No offence OzG ;-)

127. SharkeySure says:

OK too many unidentifiable yellow square doily type thingies…..

Nite all

Ps. Yes GiE. I’l see you at Fulham, and catch you after for the walk back to H&I like last time.

128. Gooner In Exile says:

Hear Eboue has had a bottle thrown at his head and suffered racial abuse in Turkey. Sad if true.

129. Gooner In Exile says: