Geordie would have shown them how.

George “Geordie” Armstrong died of a brain haemorrhage after collapsing on the training field 11 years ago on the first of this month. He was a year younger than me and joined the club as a 17-year-old, two years after I had first claimed my permanent place on the terraces as a 15-year-old. He was my first footballing idol and was to be associated with the club on and off for 39 years.

I mention this because a new young full back has been thrown in at the deep end for us in recent weeks just as Geordie was and by and large has risen to the challenge.  Carl Jenkinson is 19 years old and in his first year with the club having been transferred from Charlton Athletic in June.

AA boasts a number of good judges of a footballer and this young man has caught their attention. The strength of character he has shown after surviving that 8 goal pounding at the hands of the Mancs, his work rate, application and determination as he joined the fight to recover from our disastrous start, all bode well for the years ahead.

On the other side we have another new summer arrival, this one more senior and a Brazilian international to boot. Andre Santos arrived having, we are told, supplanted  Roberto Carlos, he of the 35 Metre free kick, as his Turkish clubs first choice full back, but wanting to play in England. He signed for us primarily, he said, as we played his kind of football.

Both Carl and Andre were elevated to the first team far quicker than anticipated as both Kieran Gibbs and Bacary Sagna our first team fullbacks, were as is the Arsenal way, to suffer long-term injuries.

So the squad now has 4 speedy  fullbacks ready, when fit, to combine with our Flying Wingers, Theo and Gervinho, to form an attacking force capable of getting behind the oppositions defence and crossing the ball into the right areas.

But this is where the similarity ends, Geordie played in his early days in heavy leather boots on muddy, waterlogged, energy sapping bogs of pitches, yet would still run up and down that wing for ninety minutes, virtually non stop. At the same time, evading, receiving and accepting as part of the game, sliding tackles that would see the offender banned Sine Die, if he did such a thing on today’s croquet lawns. On top of which he was using a leather ball that grew heavier as the game went on and the water soaked through the dubbined Tee panel monster with its leather lace that was, pre ‘the valve’ the premier ball of its day.

Yet, and here’s the strange thing, what with all these disadvantages was Geordies main claim to fame? He could hit that ball on the run or from a corner and put it straight into the danger zone and on the head of the likes of Joe Baker, Raddy, Kennedy and even in later years the elegant stroller Graham. Count the amount of headed goals that came from Geordies crosses, watch us win the league at WHL as Ray thumps a header past Big Pat Jennings from a Geordie cross. Pure magic created with skill and constant practice, and regularly displayed by the little man with a heart of a lion.

So what’s your point you may ask, well I have a question for the modern footballer. If Geordie could do all that, under conditions that would probably make you guys refuse play, why can’t you on our manicured pitches, with lightweight footwear and a ball my gran would have kicked straight out of the garden. Why do you lot struggle, not just on the run, but from corners and free kicks as well, to even clear the first man, for Christ sake!!!!!?

Written by dandan

107 Responses to Geordie would have shown them how.

Just for you DanDan

DD.Thank you for a post that neatly combines nostalgia and a modern phenomena.

To be fair, we are not the only team to suffer from this problem – it seems endemic in the PL and it drives me mad.

Perhaps it is the ball?

Morning all.

I know for a fact that there was no hardship in dandan writing this post and i am sure the old memory had flashbacks whilst composing this that brought a smile to his face.

An extract from wiki about george.

Over his long career with the Gunners, Armstrong became one of Arsenal’s most consistent players, who was noted for the quality and accuracy of his crossing and corner kicks, as well as for his tireless running up and down the wing; he primarily played on the left, but was also effective on the right. As he matured, he became one of the few players of the Billy Wright era (along with Jon Sammels and Peter Storey) to become an integral part of Wright’s successor Bertie Mee’s Arsenal side, which ended the club’s long trophy drought.

After losing two successive League Cup finals in 1967-68 and 1968-69, Armstrong helped the Gunners win the 1969-70 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup and the 1970-71 League and FA Cup double; Armstrong was an ever-present in the Double-winning team that season, setting up a number of goals for his team-mates, which included teeing up Ray Kennedy’s winning header against Tottenham Hotspur, in the match that won Arsenal the League title. He was also voted Arsenal’s Player of the Year in 1970.

I also had the pleasure of watching him play and allowing for the conditions that we often played in, one had to be there to realise the speed and composure he so often showed
    68 league goals in 500 appearances for an out and out winger was a good return.

I hope arshavin will read this :)

PS: double gooner absolutely wonderful post yesterday and kudos to Red Nick for his contributions in such a cordial way.

4. fatgingergooner says:

Great topic Dandan.

IMO The modern football being lighter is probably a disadvantage over the heavier balls of old. Footballers now not only have to worry about underhitting a cross but also about sailing it straight into the stands.

The amount of spin that can be applied to a modern ball also makes it difficult to beat the first man as the ball has a tendency to dip as well as swerve.

I think the level of goalkeepers has massively improved at the top level too. Not in the quality of the top 2 or 3 keepers, but as a whole. Even teams in the lower end of the PL have keepers with real ability. Goalkeepers these days are taught to diffuse crosses as often as possible. This means that the person crossing the ball has to apply pace and pinpoint accuracy to a cross in order to keep the keeper on his line.

Add to that the change of striker from 6 foot 6 inch monsters to the agile, pacy midgets that now lead the line and you can see why crossing is quickly becoming a dying art.

5. VCC says:

Memories, memories Dandan. It was during Geordie’s time at Arsenal when I used to go mostly every week, North bank and all. What a smashing player, never ending work rate together with quality crosses. Arshavin/Walcott should take a look at some of the clips featuring this GREAT servant for Arsenal. You have brought a tear to my eye.

6. A Modern Footballer says:

Look, that is an unfair question see wot i meen.

Last Saterday right, i was bollocked by the boss yeah – cos i put in some right tasty crosess which he said were piss poor.

i told him straight right – look guv i was out shaggin til free this mornin and i strained me nee gettin my leg over big brenda and he says big brenda is orf limits and put me in the reserves like.

you’ve no idea abart the problems us modern foot ballers ave.

7. VCC says:

AMF = LMFAO

Lovely post Dan. I was to young to appreciate Geordie at his peak, my memories of Arsenal realy start from the 1975 season onwards so i did have the privlege to watch him for a couple of years. What struck me as a kid was the affection the crowd had for him.

When my old man goes into one of his rants about the modern teams, the one player he always mentions as a true player that shoild be looked on as an example is Geordie, and i must say from what i saw, its hard to disagree.

9. jim lamb says:

what a fantastic post! Watching the video brought great memories flashing back. Although we’ve seen the best and nicest football in our history under AW, there was something special about that double team and little Geordie in particular was a huge favourite…always put in a proper shift. He’d have walked into todays team, along with a few others. I love the PL, but I do miss the blood and thunder games that we saw in those days, the never say die attitude of the team, and the last two games of that season will never fade, (WHL and Wembley).

10. Morning all, a fine appreciation of a footballer from a more noble era there Dandan and, like Terry the syrup man, he pre dates my time as a fan.

That level of commitment and dedication to the team is probably unlikely to be seen in this era again, sadly.

Kelsey, I have to say that, in my capacity as the vice president of the AA Arshavin fan club (Rapsers being the President), you are a tad harsh on the meerkat.
    30 goals in 121 appearances to date is none too shabby either.

Jenkinson’s crosses have been good from day one, he is now realising that they are wasted when it is impossible for anyone to get on the end of them which in actual fact must be his fault and not that of the attackers for not being there.
    We had a similar debate about this concerning Walcott: the general idea is that if Theo whips in a good cross an attacker should bust a gut to get on the end of it but this is flawed if due to the previous passage of play it is impossible for someone to be in the box, so if Walcott or Jenkinson send in a cross when it is impossible for anyone to get on the end of it, the fault and the blame lay firmly at the feet of the Walcott and Jenkinson and not of the attackers.
    Not convinced: we play a 4.2.3.1 this has aerial disadvantages, most of the teams we play of the orc variety have one good skill if they have any and that is to deal with an aerial threat. With Van Persie as more often than not the loan striker it is easy for the orcs to mark him so sending in high crosses is 9.9 times out of 10 wasted, far better to get the ball to RvP’s feet; Gervinho always tries to do this and we score quite a few gaols from it. Walcott is getting better as is Jenkinson but our present day system can never be compared to the Armstrong, Radford, Kennedy time; they played a 4.4.2 system with a huge focus on our aerial attack.
    I was wondering if both teams were to play each other who would win and the conclusion I came to was that it would be dependant on the pitch, if the two teams played next week at the Emirates out current team would wipe the floor with them but on a February afternoon at Highbury with the pitch all cut I suspect it would be the other way round.

Good post as ever Dandan.

12. pat says:

the vid shows real goalkeepers don’t wear gloves…

chary,

LB has answered the question in his last paragraph.One can’t compare the pitches,boots and balls and in some ways if AA was around then he would never have made it in the top flight IMO

I realy envy some of you guys. My old man took me to some games in 71 but i was only six and cant remember a thing. i wonder if i can invent a drug that can enable you to recall memories at early stages of childhood, i shall get cracking immediatly.

15. True Kelsey, the age old question of lack of comparability of playing conditions does make lining up players stats not truly representative.

It reminds of a cricketer for India in the 1960’s called Durani, whose bald statistics are not impressive yet he had such a mystique about his style of play and how he stood out from the others of his era that knowlegdeable cricket fans remember him as fondly as you, and Dandan, do.

16. dandan says:

Morning all. Thanks for the input guys, and the Video Raddy. Lb how does your comment apply to Corners and free kicks. I am one who has always advocated getting players to attack the far post for crosses and as you say often the penalty area is bereft of attackers due to the speed of our wide men.
    It is then they should hold the ball up or cut inside, but it does not alter the fact they we do too often hit that first man from dead ball positions, why?
    Will not be around for a bit: off to see the Grandkids: will catch up later

17. VCC says:

Have to agree with you Kelsey. AA would never have made it in those days.

18. VCC says:

jim lamb 10:48 = I watched the game against Spurs at White Hart Lane and was lucky enough to get a ticket for the final at Wembley. Happy Dayz.

jim lamb,

wait for a forthcoming post about the day we had our lowest ever attendence at Highbury v Leeds in the mid 60’s, about 4500 attended., the younger generation wouldn’t believe it.

20. gunnern5 says:

‘Wenger won’t take suggestions’

November 10, 2011

By ESPN staff

Andrei Arshavin has lifted the lid on Arsene Wenger’s unilateral style of management at Arsenal.

Wenger has always been a man of strong principles, and Arshavin has revealed the players are given no input into the way the football club is run.

“When you have a mundane, domestic problem, he’s always very supportive,” Arshavin is quoted as saying by The Sun. “But when it comes to Arsenal, no-one would dare approach him with questions about football or suggestions to change something round. Everyone knows what the answer would be.

“We’ve never had the ‘big talk’, although I have voiced my opinion a couple of times. He smiled in an understanding way but he has his own ideas.”

Arshavin has found himself marginalised at Arsenal this season, with Gervinho and Theo Walcott preferred in advanced wide positions. His contract is due to expire in the summer, leading to suggestions he will return to Russia – perhaps as soon as January, should Arsenal want to recoup some cash for the man they signed in 2009.

“If my situation does not change, I may look at it [in January] – but not right now. But it is clear the salary is important,” Arshavin said.

Another who may leave the Gunners in the forthcoming transfer window is midfielder Francis Coquelin, who has lamented his lack of first-team chances. Coquelin has started two league games this season, but wants more action, having been given a taste of top-flight football whilst on loan at Lorient last term.

“I thought I had a shot to play so I decided to stay at Arsenal,” he said. “I played a lot at first, even big games, but when players came back from injury I just disappeared.

“It is often said that when you are young you have time but I played a whole season at Lorient and now I’m virtually not playing at all. It’s annoying. Given my playing time here, the idea of a departure this winter is in my head for sure.”

21. TotalArsenal says:

Well done DD, great post full of nostalgia that I don’t recognise but do appreciate :)

LB’s comment is spot on and covers it all, but DanDan is right re corners and free-kicks: some deliveries are woeful and there is no excuse for it (sorry FGG): practice, practice, practice until your foot falls off!

22. A Modern Footballer says:

DD,

I am not surprised by your very interesting and nostalgic look back at George Armstrong as your avatar is a give away.

I never saw Geordie play but he was always around the club and at Barnett when the reserves and youth teams played there, for many years, and seemed a very nice man.

You are right about the, generally, poor free kicks, corners and crosses. Drives me mad too, at times. And why is our tallest forward, RVP, taking the corners and crossing for giants like Arshavin, Walcott, and Rosicky? Weird!

23. Camberwell Gooner says:

GN5 – Nice one for posting that.

A word for Arshavin (or more accurately, a sentence): perhaps you’d be the preferred wide man over the Gerve or Theo if you actually got off your lazy arse more than twice a match?

Last thing we need is layabouts, er, laying about whinging about not being picked. He’s fast becoming dead wood.

24. Danny says:

Geordie knew how to take corners – probaly our best corner taker ever. I remember one beauty against Man.Utd when Paddy Rouche couldn’t stop Geordie scoring directly from a corner – classic.

Having just read that piece from Arshavin, I am now convinced that he will be gone by February.

from The independent, not quite the same thing.

Andrei Arshavin, the Arsenal midfielder, has issued a forthright critique of his manager, Arsène Wenger, suggesting the Frenchman makes substitutions based on philosophy rather than performance, revealing players feel he is so stubborn as to be unapproachable and describing him as the “most severe” coach he has ever worked with.

In a revealing interview in the Russian newspaper Sport Express, Arshavin insisted he is not contemplating leaving the Emirates Stadium despite finding himself out of favour for much of this season.

The 30-year-old did, though, acknowledge that remaining a reserve for a long period of time might force him to reconsider as he offered a frank insight into life as a substitute at Arsenal and the futility of hoping Wenger will change his mind.

“I am not thinking about changing clubs,” he said. “If I am on the bench for a very long time, then such an issue might be relevant. I still want to play for 90 minutes, but now I am glued to the bench.

“At the moment, he has more faith in [Theo] Walcott and Gervinho [in wide roles], and under his current scheme, I bet there will not be [a chance to play centrally]. Our midfielders are now playing deep.

“He has his own philosophy, a special Wenger look. He is not as stubborn as [Russia and former Zenit St Petersburg manager] Dick Advocaat, but he is perhaps more severe. When difficulties occur, nobody in Arsenal even considers going to him on matters concerning football to try and change something, everyone knows what the answer will be.

“It is true [he does things in his own way]. Sometimes you can see it on the field: no matter how well you have played, you will still be replaced on the 70th minute. And sometimes you sit on the bench in full confidence that you will just come on in the 65th minute.”

In Moscow to join up with his national side, Arshavin suggested the “unique philosophy” which has led to Arsenal’s steadfast refusal to invest large sums on Wenger’s playing staff does make it difficult for the club to compete in an age dominated by the oil billions of some of the world’s richest men.

He did acknowledge that he and his fellow team-mates understand the business rationale behind the stance, something explained to them in person by chief executive Ivan Gazidis.

“That is the Arsenal philosophy,” he said. “Ivan Gazidis came to the training base and said a lot of interesting things on this subject. He says clubs are divided into three categories. Some climb into the pocket of a master, some into debt, and some, like us and Bayern Munich, live on the funds we raise ourselves.

“From a business perspective, it’s the right approach. It is just that it is difficult for such a team to be competitive, though Bayern prove otherwise. But in football there are more and more financial magnates, who are willing to shell out any amount for a player for short-term success.”

Anyway I think he finds it too warm living in London ;)

27. evonne says:

LB – so what you are saying is, that you are not prepared to eat your gloves if AA stays? Very wise

28. jim lamb says:

Hi there VCC.
    I was lucky enough to get to all league and cup games that season- the only season I ever managed to do it. I’m sure that most of that team would be valid today- there was grit from back to front and a hunger i’d never seen at Arsenal before. I started going in the fifties and yawned my way to the fairs cup win- what a night that was,too, against Anderlecht, and what a game Georgie had that night. Ah, sweet memories. I love how we’ve played over the last few years since Wenger, but sometimes I do miss the likes of Bobby Gould bundling goalkeepers over the line in the mud. The generation coming through now would never believe what we saw in those days and I think something has been lost. Maybe i’m just getting old.

jim,

we may even know each other i went to both legs against anderlecht, sat next to jack kelsey on the way out, the first arsenal player i actually ever talked to,

Evonne

Winter is coming……….my gloves are staying put.

31. Danny says:

@jim lamb

Bobby Gould – refused to give me his autograph, admittedly he was a West Ham player at the time….and Trevor Brooking who was with him also refused, can’t recall now why I even bothered!

It will interesting to see what happens with AA. he said on his own website last week that he knew he was not playing well and i believe is one of our top earners, he didn’t say what was quoted above.
    It seems he is a following a pattern set by bendtner,walcott and now himself that he is playing out of position.
    Arsenal paid about 15 million for him in 2009 so for us that is a lot of money, will the club take a loss or hope he can regain his form over a whole 90 minutes.
    We tend to call many players an enigma but I don’t think that applies to AA.he has undoubted talent,vision and could be a greater asset to the team than he currently is.I would say he is infuriating.

33. Danny says:

I reckon because he scored those 4 goals against Liverpool our expectations from him have always been very high. Obviously it was just a “flash in the pan”.

People with side partings make better crossers of the ball. Fact.

dandan,
    Marvellous post. I absolutely love all that muddy pitch, heavy balls and boots stuff. Thank you.

36. evonne says:

Micky – Torres with blond hair we win!!

37. evonne says:

Dandan – big THANK YOU, great post!!

Evonne,
    Take off those blonde goggles of yours. It was brown. We won. :-)

Lovely post, dandan.

No apologies for posting this again as it features an interview with Geordie at 5:20.

GIE (from end of yesterday’s),
    I’ll certainly have a go at an Arsenal based picture quiz. Not sure it’d make a post though, as quizzes don’t really generate debate.

dandan
    lovely clever post. I started reading it as a nice nostalgia piece about a great player – and would have been very happy with just that.

But then you provided a clever sting in the tail with your thoughts on our regular inability to beat the first man with a cross.

One thing that has always frustrated me is that our “technically very gifted” players regularly hit the first man from free kicks and corners, whereas the orc and clogger teams always seem to have someone who can get their crosses in the danger area 90% of the time (Etherington at Stoke, for example).

I would have Jenks take all our corners from now on – and at least from a c owner, LB won’t be able to chastise him for crossing to nobody!

*at least from a corner

LB
    “winter is coming”
    Have you been watching Game of Thrones?

43. evonne says:

Rocky – I don’t know what London has been watching, but we all know what he’s been eating :)

44. For all the good points about RvP his corners are s**t, seldom clearing the first defender. Why does he persist in taking them? Does Le Profeseur’s myopia prevent him seeing the squandered chances? Arteta has been taking corners on the left and has seldom been any better than our Dutch Maestro. I can’t figure out why two of our most skillful players are isolating themselves by the corner flag, surely they would be better off in the box ready to take advantage of the corner kick.

I think RockyLives has got it right , let Jenks take them .

Anybody know what our scoring percentage is from corners?

45. Double98 says:

I wonder is it the inability to cross or the lack of a target in the box…

Chamakh seemed to get on the end of some juicy crosses before he got fit and up to the power and pace of the PL!! which coincided with a loss of form not seen since samson got a flattop.

Bendtner is not good in the air for a big man, and he can’t trap a ball and has the turning circle of a travelling circus.

Van The man is not a header but he is a lover

Walcott, Arshavin, Rosicky etc are more likely to be tossed in a new zealand bar than win a header in the epl.

Vermaelan and Koscielny get on the end of corners but they are generally up against taller defenders

And even if we could get a man in the box sure the ball never gets past the first defender…
    oh.. chicken and egg

D98
    @4.51
    Too many funny lines in that to single any out.
    Hilarious comment :D

47. I seem to remember one corner ploy from way back, just before the corner came in David Court grabbed the balls of the big centre half, marking John Radford, and ran towards the edge of the box, naturally the defender went with him leaving Raddy with a free header. Referee saw nothing and the goal was awarded. I suspect that may have been a Don Howe tactic.

Lovely memories.

Lieflong,
    If you want to know my thoughts on our “scoring percentages from corners”, then ask Evonne as she was the last person to hear my thoughts on the matter “live”. I can confirm I was very clear on the subject.
    D98 :-)

Sorry. Lifelong.

50. Red Arse says:

DD,

Excellent post. :-)

After some wonderful Posts over the last few months, which in turn sparked an incredible amount of lively debate between our AA colleagues, with heavyweight point making, and a lot of complex statistical data thrown in for fun, I suddenly felt I could hardly lift up my laptop.

What am I talking about?

Well, as you will all know, data, is a word used to describe the storage and or exchange of information on, in this instance, a computer.

So, the question is, can the increased weight of my computer be attributed to this huge build up of data, and does this data have a ‘mass’ (OK, I know it is definitely not Catholic -but you get my drift) ?

Data is stored on a computer as a result of the transfer of electrons, so the real question is – do electrons have a ‘mass’ or weight?

Now, I know, as do you guys, that there is a complicated calculation to be made here regarding the energy used to generate the electrons and there is also some heat loss as a result of the process. But let’s skip all that crap, and agree that electrons do have a mass and this is represented by weight.

You are going to tell me – “Yes Red Arsey, but it is just a teeny, weeny, itsy bitsy, fluffy wuffy little bit of weight per each electron!

But we have arrived, at last, at my salient point. All the fantastic Posts and the loquacious, brain quiveringly juicy comments derived from them are generating umpteen billions upon billions of electrons, and it is these which are weighing down my laptop and putting me at a cataclysmic risk of a hiatus hernia!

So, I beg you, stop writing wonderful, fantastical Posts, like today’s which cause a crashing crescendo of orgiastic comments to follow as a direct consequence of these eloquent paeans of verbal syntax.

Let’s all just calm down please, make the site amazingly boring and keep the weight down.

In the meantime, I am throwing my battery away to reduce the weight, so I …………………………………………………….

51. That sounds ominous Mickey.

I guess they are as bad as I thought.

52. Dial Square says:

What a great post many memories. Jenks is the best crosser we have at the moment.

53. Double98 says:

red arse, while you raise a valid enough concern its not laptops or desktops that i worry about… they hold the data on screens that are specially designed to represent the data at a verticle arrangement with gravity so that the weight just drops off and disappates into the earth.
    Smart phones and tablets however are generally configured for horizontal data presentation which means that the data lays heavily on the internal mechanisms and so a site like AA which invites verbosity and incite can often rupture the components that compute – leading to data corruption and valid “comments” becoming nonsensical or even ill informed. the data weighting when lying heavily on the horizontal plane of the smart phone / tablet can lead to its permanent loss of mobility

54. Red Arse says:

Damn,

So what are you saying D98? Are you telling me that my impending hernia is caused by your IPhone? Well sod me. (I mean that in a very manly way ….. obviously!)

It’s like when I broke up with a girlfriend some time ago, I wandered around at work, and elsewhere, feeling a lack of love, which was pretty bad when eating alone in McDonalds; or when alone in my cold, empty bed; or even when not in my cold lonely bed; or was it when I was simply thinking about bed – nah – it was just all the time.

I tried to get back with the lovely lady in question, and promised to stop farting noxious fumes, or picking fluff from my copious belly button, especially when we were entertaining guests, or at parties, in the hope of ameliorating her hostility towards me.

Didn’t work! :-(

Now you have thrown me into a similar pit of despair by rejecting my electron mass thesis. Is there no end to man’s cruelty????

I think it is an excellent idea to let Jenkinson take the corners, it may seem obvious now but it hadn’t crossed my mind.

The only potential flaw I can see in having one of our backs take the corners is that it might increase the possibility of being caught on the break.

56. jim lamb says:

Kelsey.
    Its entirely possible we do know each other- I went to nearly every game through the late sixties and early seventies. You talk of Jack Kelsey, I remember well when the training facility at Highbury was the red cinder pitch behind the old south bank, and as kids, we’d wander in there and watch them kicking around. He always has time for you, and so did big Mel Charles. I used to stand behind the goal at the south bank and Jack would chat away to the crowd throughout every game- a goalie and a half.As for the Leeds game with our lowest attendance ever, I remember the demo at the end outside the marble hall screaming for Billy Wright to resign. As i remember, we lost the game badly, but at least Wright left.

LB
    No it’s OK – when Jenks takes a corner, Arsh can cover for him :)

58. Dial Square says:

jim was that protest not against Leicester?

Redders
    Regarding your interesting comment at 5.13 (you do like a bit of quantum physics, don’t you?)… I thought you might be interested in this:

60. Irishgunner says:

Dandan – nice post. Not a player I’d know much about apart from hearing the name, thanks for the write up.

61. VCC says:

jim lamb 2:13. unfortunately we are all getting old, but great memories, spilling onto the Highbury pitch after the final whistle against Anderlecht. Jumping for joy after Charlie George scores the winner against Liverpool at Wembley (in the Liverpool end, what a brave/stupid boy was I) Screaming for joy like a demented lunatic in my living room after we won 2-0 last game of the season against Liverpool. Many Many more, so glad I chose Arsenal as a 5 year old all those years ago. I will have to get those old video tapes from the attic and have a week off work, and enjoy watching old Arsenal games.

62. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Great to be back from my weekly jaunt to the land of the Orcs. I passed through a Village(Woodseaves,I think) where I discovered a pub called “The Cock Inn “, as I left the Village I saw a pretty wench and could not resist the temptation to stop and ask her ” how far`s The Cock Inn “, how I did this with keeping a straight face, I`ll never know, but she replied ” not far” and pointed to the direction. :)
    Anyway, dandan, great post. The two best players never to play for England, “Geordie” and Peter Simpson, I wont except any arguements on that one, No I`m not listening !.
    I`ve said It plenty of times on here, Arshavin, watch “Geordie,Mr Perpetual Motion” Armstrong. Does anyone know whether they do stamina work, and I mean proper miles of running ?. I think fitness and stamina (lack of it) is all that stops AA from being Top Class,and all It Is , Is a bit of hard work, simples.

63. VCC says:

GLiC….Spot on, Armstrong and Simpson, best players never to play for England. Both would be strong contenders in our squad today.

64. TotalArsenal says:

GLiC :) You sure she didn’t respond with: ‘Oh you’ve gone totally wrong – you award-winning, fine young man: now let me guide you a bit’

65. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Total,
    I `m not sure which one I`d rather have, the” now let me guide you a bit” or to be a ” fine young man” again!, I need some ” award winning” youth regaining cream!. :)

66. Fatgingergooner says:

Was it Santos who slung over that wonderful cross against Blackburn away that Chamakh slammed into the net? I know it’s been forgotten due to the fact that the game was an all time Arsenal low (for me anyway), but it just goes to show that of you put it in the right area and someone is willing to bust a gut to get on the end of it then your onto a winner. But you can’t have one without the other, and that is our crossing downfall.

Numerous times I have watched Walcott throw in an epic cross to find no one making the effort.

But then again, the strikers would argue that for every good cross there are 5 bad ones, so why bother!

Like I said, you can’t have one without the other. Therefore, strikers and crossers are equally at fault.

67. TotalArsenal says:

It was RvP’s fine cross for Chamakh’s goal, FGG.

GLiC: you are as young as you allow yourself to be :)

68. Fatgingergooner says:

Could you not also argue that our ability to get to the byeline and play a low cross into the box has been more effective than any other source so far this year?

Just off the top of my head there is Walcott v Udinese, RvP double v Stoke, Arteta v West Brom. Maybe getting rid of the high cross is the answer and concentrate on getting to that touchline behind the defence.

69. Gooner in Exile says:

I’m a bit peeved to have only sat down to read this blog now, and a wonderful post it was today from DanDan.

A fantastic read about a player my Dad can’t talk highly enough about. I have only memories of Geordie as our Youth Team/Reserve coach bringing through the likes of Adams, Rocky, Thomas, Davis and Merson. I am sure he even had something to do with the early days of Parlour probably.

We have so much to be thankful for, the comparison of players in different ages is always difficult, and bless FGG for trying to forgive the players their inability to cross a ball due to its weight.

For me as you DanDan there is no excuse, these players play with these balls for at least two to three hours of everyday, if they haven’t worked out how to cross a ball yet there is something wrong. Even me (a goalkeeper raised pre no back pass rule) can ping the ball anywhere i like in my midweek seven-a-side games. To be fair I am hardly ever running at pace whilst i try to do it (more Jan Molby centre midfield holding role :D )

As for other comments today the Arsh interview is interesting some of it sounds like his very dry sense of humour, read his regular Q&As on his own website and you’ll get the idea.

However there is an element of truth in what he says and perhaps we are going to be seeing the meerkat depart to earn money somewhere else.

Peaches/Rasp you should now have my re submitted post with images correct this time. (In order to send it I just had to pay £5.99 for BT Open zone outside another hotel as my hotel’s wifi is not working…..thats commitment…..or the power of the RHWP persuasive emails ;) ).

See you all later.

Off to get pizza

70. Gooner in Exile says:

FGG interesting, i was having a debate with the bloke behind me in that Stoke game, he was complaining that we shouldn’t keep aiming high with crosses, but I said if you always slide it on the floor they will just constantly cover, variety of crosses will lead to the goals you mention, if all you did was cross the ball there and the keeper never had to worry about a high ball to the back post the keeper and defenders would just crowd that near post area.

71. SharkeySure says:

Cheers DanDan..I love hearing about the old timers.

One tip though…don’t let Radders put videos on your Headline Posts again….

4.10 Geordie trots away to take a corner. 4.12 corner cleared by Palace defender at near post. Respectfully (?).

I’ll watch Chas’s video in a tick, You just know you can really depend on a Chas video…I could probably put Kelsey’s villa/Dandans house on it unseen. No offence intended BR.

72. SharkeySure says:

I got a bit misty eyed watching that Arsenal Derby video.

Brian Moore – LEGEND.

GKs picking up backpasses…lol

Radfords towering header (plus his one in BR;’s video). What a leap.

Geordies’ clothes…lol. I bet he had on beetlecrusher shoes as as well

One question. How come the footage was B&W, but the studio stuff was colour. Transitional time I know…so was it just cost..?

Night no one

73. SharkeySure says:

Final point..how mad was it to hear of a ‘young Pat Rice’.

74. Fatgingergooner says:

GIE

Makes sense, if the Opposition know your every move then it’s easy to defend. However, Drogba always scores against us, even though we know it’s coming! Every team knows RVP is gunna score against em right now, but they can’t stop him! And everyone knows that Spain are gunna hammer England this weekend, but will we be able to stop it? No chance!!!!

75. I know I know, I should have wiped him from my twitter :(

cesc4official Cesc Fàbregas Soler
    #IJustLoveLondon Goodnight everybody!!!! Buenas noches a todos!!!! Bona nit a tothom!!!! Bonne nuit!!!!

Loser ………………

Arsenal Football Club has announced that world-famous rock band Coldplay will be performing two dates at Emirates Stadium next summer.

British band Coldplay, who have just released their new album ‘Mylo Xyloto’, will appear at the Gunners’ home on Friday 1st June 2012 and Saturday 2nd June 2012.

Coldplay is one of the world’s best-selling music artists, selling over 50 million records worldwide.

The Club has negotiated with the event promoter – SJM Concerts – for an allocation of tickets for Arsenal Members to purchase 24 hours prior to the general ticket release.

Tickets are priced from £49.50 to £75.00 each plus handling fee and will go on sale to Arsenal Members on Thursday 17th November. The tickets will go on General Sale on Friday 18th November.

Tickets will be available to Arsenal Members from 9am to 11.59pm UK time on Thursday 17th November 2011. Arsenal Members who have provided the Club with appropriate contact details will soon receive an email giving instructions on how to apply. The Club would like to stress that tickets are limited and do apologise in advance if Members are unsuccessful.

Emirates Stadium has previously played host to Bruce Springsteen in 2008 and the Summertime Ball in 2009. Arsenal Chief Executive Ivan Gazidis said: “We are absolutely delighted that Coldplay have chosen to perform at Emirates Stadium next summer. We are all very excited at the prospect of Coldplay performing to a packed Emirates Stadium.

“We’re also delighted to have been able to secure an allocation of tickets which Arsenal Members can purchase before the general sale commences. We hope many supporters take up this exciting opportunity.”

Tickets for the two Coldplay dates at Emirates Stadium will go on General Sale from 9am UK time on Friday 18th November 2011 and can be purchased by visiting one of the following:(blah,blah,blah)

So Stan is a man of his word,concerts it is Never mind the quality feel the width.This is the way forward under Kroenke.fuck the CL let’s have concerts, apt name “Coldplay” ;).

There’s an idea for you peaches.get your band on the phone to Stan and do a sell out concert.
    Peggy Sue at the Emirates, tickets from £100.00 each, under 16’s half price :)

78. I went to see Muse at San Siro, much better venue than Wembley as they set the stage in the right place (on the half way line facing the dug outs).

They will probably copy old Wembley tho as it means more boxes and club level viewing.

It’s a clever choice of dates, end of season two days covering the pitch with boards and then it’s got time to recover.

I’m all for generating other revenue streams, it means they can hold off ticket price increases. And with the state of the EU right now it’s necessary.

I was being sarcastic.

The Ox and poppies on the armbands.

81. A song for Ox from Twitter (Oasis – She’s Electric)

“The OX excites me.

He’s electric. He’s in a family full of eccentrics. He does things we’re never expecting.

But he needs more time.”

82. Didn’t think you weren’t Kelsey I guessed by the ;)

83. evonne says:

Morning all
    Cannot have Mancunian song for Ox, no, that ain’t right

I am not opposed to concerts being held at the Ems, providing all the precautions are taken not to cause any damage, why not? I have been to some fantastic concerts at Twickenham, Emirates are much closer to home. And I like Coldplay

84. Didnt think you were=Didnt think you weren’t

Too early need coffee

maybe Mike Ashley could get Eric Burton and The Animals to perform in zebra suits at Newcastle. He has lost millions and thinks he can make Newcastle a world wide brand name.

The House of the Rising Sun is falling down :),

86. evonne says:

Kelsey – good to see you in such good mood :)

Evonne,
    Any Adele songs you’d like to pick for The Ox?

88. List of celeb AFC fans includes these musicians:
    Judge Jules – DJ
    John Lydon (a.k.a. Johnny Rotten) – Musician
    Natalie Appleton – Ex All saints
    Nicole Appleton – Ex All Saints
    Dido – Singer
    Shovell – From M People
    Rachel Stevens – S Club
    Margherita Taylor – DJ and presenter
    Pete Tong – DJ
    Martin Ling – Musician
    Roger Taylor – Queen drummer.
    Lisa L’Anson – DJ
    Roger Waters – ex Floyd
    Michelle Gayle – Actress turned singer
    Ray Davies – Musician
    Dave Davies – Musician
    Roger Daltrey – Musician

Well that’s not going to give us the greatest back catalogue of songs to choose from.

Anyone but coldplay please :(

More wiff-waff

The Who even had a track called The Ox. Sadly no lyrics though.

92. Illybongani the PC Guru says:

Chas – isn’t Adele a Spud?

93. Illybongani the PC Guru says:

It’s curious that there is a real dearth of songs for individual players at the club at the moment. Maybe we have learnt a lesson for lavishing group worship on the likes of Nasri (the last individual song recipient) and Fabregas.There really IS only one Song at the moment.

Maybe modern day footballers don’t deserve a song until they have completed 10 years with the club, maybe a more fitting reward than a testimonial.

Illyb,
    Evonne told the till operator in the Arsenal shop to turn off an Adele song for that very reason. :)

Speaking of John Lydon, this is one of my favourite videos..

96. evonne says:

Illy – yes she is, and a VERY annying Spud coz I used to love her until she publically declared her love for the Scum

Chas – you are a monster!!

Rasp – coldplay are all right, hardly classics, but easy on the ear

The Who, Floyd, Queen, Pistols and the Kinks …. no back catalogue?

Waht about “We are the Champions” for a start. Must be better than The Wonder of You.

God save the team (Queen) – S.P’s

Or Happy Jack by the Who?

I could go on but life awaits …..

chas. Another fine video from a much loved album

How about singing Rob-in-van-Per-sie to the chorus of this….

Or… Thom-as-Ver-mae-len

Rasp. You can spot a good tune. Lovely stuff for a chilly morning.

Morning Raddy, the trouble is most of the tunes I would like wouldn’t be known by younger supporters. Ther must be something by Oasis?

OK folks, in recognition of 11/11/11 it’s time to get your calculators out and digest this offering from GiE….

…. New post …..

104. Simply want to say your article is as astonishing. The clearness
    in your post is simply great and i could assume you are
    an expert on this subject. Well with your permission let me to grab your feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post.
    Thanks a million and please carry on the gratifying work.