At Last: A Real Captain for Arsenal

If there is one image that defines the revival that Arsenal are about to embark on, it’s this one:

There were many positives to take from our dispatching of Bolton Wanderers on Saturday but, for me, this was the one that really counted.

Robin van Persie, mobbed by a herd of Bolton spongiforms, didn’t give an inch. When they mooed in his face he bellowed back at them; when they jostled him he put out his arms as if to say: “Yeah? And what?” He stood his ground. He faced down the bullocks with a show of real bollocks.

If anyone doubted whether Robin was the man to lead this team, that moment should put their mind at ease.

For Alan Hansen to subsequently criticise him on Match of the Day for not ‘leading by example’ and not being captain material tells you a lot more about Hansen than about van Persie. And it also tells you that he probably watched no more of our game than the brief highlights that were shown on MoTD.

Devout Christians sometimes use the question “what would Jesus do?” as a method to guide their actions.

At Arsenal we used to have a Jesus. His name was Cesc Fabregas. And if you ask what Cesc/Jesus would have done in that scenario, I offer the following speculation:

1) The scenario would not have happened in the first place because Cesc/Jesus, seeing a Wanderers player poleaxed in the box, would have put the ball into touch.
2) But if it had happened, and Cesc/Jesus was mobbed by a thousand pounds of Bolton beef, he would have backed off and walked away.

I’m not saying that either course of action by Cesc/Jesus is wrong. But Robin’s actions were those of a warrior. And by heaven, we have needed a warrior of late.

It may mean that Cesc is a nicer and more sporting person, but it also means that Robin is more of a fighter, someone who would rather be the winning guy than the nice guy.

To continue the religious analogy, if Cesc was Jesus, Robin is the Archangel Michael – the field commander of God’s armies in the war against the devil, with the title “Prince of Angels”.

Prince Robin. That will do for me and that is how I will refer to him from now on.

You may think I’m reading too much into one brief incident, but sometimes fortunes in football hinge on such intangibles. We all talk about confidence, desire, mental strength, morale – well, they are influenced by moments like this.

Prince Robin acted the way a Keown or a Vieira would have done. He handled it probably even better than his compatriot Dennis would have (I suspect Dennis might have chinned one of the cow-faces and got himself red carded).

But Prince Robin kept his arms down and spread wide in a gesture that both ridiculed the ox-minded simpletons of Bolton and ensured that the ref could not accuse him of violent conduct (Gervinho and Diaby, please take note).

He refused to be intimidated.

It’s this kind of leadership that is essential to helping us regain our status as one of the top teams in the country, capable of competing in all competitions and making our opponents believe that we are no pushover.

Cesc was a brilliant player – one of the best midfielders I have ever seen. But he was not a captain. Nor was Gallas and nor was Thierry Henry for all his gifts.

Arsene Wenger thinks we Brits place too much emphasis on the role of captain, but he’s wrong. A real leader on the field can make the crucial difference at the margins between success and failure.

And I really believe that Prince Robin is a leader. His public utterances of late have carried the weight and maturity of someone who knows he is in charge. He supports his team mates but is not afraid to remind them about what’s expected of them. He does not try to say everything in the garden is rosy – but he also refuses to accept that it’s all manure.

Quite possibly it is only his appalling luck with injuries that has stopped van Persie from becoming captain much earlier in his Arsenal career.

Having a striker as captain is not necessarily ideal, but there have been some outstanding srtiker-captains in the past (Shearer, Rummenigge, Maradona to name but three). And our No 10 is really showing leadership on and off the field.

This new Arsenal team is beginning to take shape. There is much to improve on and I don’t expect to see our best until the second half of the season. But the pieces are beginning to fall into place.

And no piece is more important than our new captain.

Prince Robin, I’m your man.

RockyLives

220 Responses to At Last: A Real Captain for Arsenal

1. oz gunner says:

@ Rocky

Prince Robin it is. So he should of stood up for what he believed in. The bolton players didn’t quick it out when robinson went down, heck they nearly scored a goal from it had it not been for gibbs’ pace. So if they keep playing, RVP had every right to attack. At the end of the day its the refs call, if it was in the head fair enough.

Its just alarming that no-one went over to help out (no doubt jack would of, surpised arteta didn’t), however with our recent red card exploits probably best no-one did.

Thanks again Rocky

2. GAMBIT says:

Get in captain Persie………WE SHOULD QUADRUPLE HIS SALARY…….MAKE NASRI WISH HE DIDN’T LEAVE……

3. Fatgingergooner says:

He may be a short term captain if the squad isn’t added to in January or our performances don’t bring us silverware soon. Could be another Nasri situation.

4. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Great read Rocky. If he can nick a few goals, in a win at Shite Hart Lane, shall we call him Robin Prince of Thieves!.

5. Great article Rocky,

I’ve long since given up on MotD except when Arsenal games are on ESPN and the highlights are not therefore on Sky’s Football First.

Let’s hope the Prince decides to sign the new contract on offer, despite his comments about not being certain of his future.

Congratulations to Mark Cavendish on a fantastic season culminating in yesterday’s victory in the World Road Race Championship. My stone cold certain banker for BBC Sports Personality of the Year.

Morning all, top top post Rocky.

Although we may not have quite the level of quality of last season, it would not be hard to improve on the ‘team strength’ and that would more than compensate. Individuals don’t lose games, teams do and what RvP did was to show that he is prepared to put his body on the line.

Had Song or Gervinho been at the centre of the fracas, they may well have reacted and got sent off, as it was RvP was inviting the opposition to assault him and that would have resulted in them losing a man – maybe we’ve learnt something from Barton!

A small negative is that I’m a bit disappointed that other Arsenal players didn’t turn up to support their captain, but maybe that would have led to an escalation and the cards being shown.

Brilliant, Rocky.

As Oz says, Bolton were happy to play on while they had the ball but when it came back down their end, they acted like petulant little brats. Absolute two-faced hypocrisy of the highest order.
    Spongiforms. :)
    Besides he’d only got the ball in the crown jewels; hardly life-threatening.

I was so pleased no-one went over to help Robin. At last a valuable lesson has been learnt from the Barton incident. As it was, the only players likely to get sent off were Bolton ones. Long may it continue.

8. London says:

What a great read, an absolute pleasure.

FGG

The world could also end tomorrow, I expected more from you!

I was about to say ‘snap’, Rasp, then you spoilt it with the ‘small negative’ sentence (even though you finally concluded it was probably a positive) :)

Morning chas,

I came to the same conclusion as you about other Arsenal players joining in, but solidarity/team spirit would usually mean that others would wish to back Robin up but maybe it is a scenario that has been discussed in training and they have decided to try to avoid picking up cards for avoidable reasons.

11. Fatgingergooner says:

London,

Haven’t we heard the ‘games are more important than my contract right now’ excuse enough times already for it to ring the alarm bells???

Just saying!!!

I agree, Rasp.
    Since when has piling in mob-handed ever resulted in a good outcome for us? Never.

13. TotalArsenal says:

Super Post Rocky. I love it :)

RvP was truly outstanding on Saturday, and the tears-of-joy-evoking video Chas posted earlier this morning is testimony of it.

The bad, really bad news is, we cannot have a captain who is not on a long-term contract. I just cannot see him sign a new contract in the foreseeable future. RvP is ambitious and will have been hurt by the departures of Cesc and Nasti, as he probably sees this as a lack of ambition by Arsenal. I very much doutbt he will sign a new contract unless Arsenal win something major this year, one or two big stars are added to the team, and he is offered a big wage increase as well. Of course, all these are not impossible to actually happen but looking at pervious BoD strategies, I am worried we will lose him

There is a big chance (70%+) that RvP will be sold next summer. But that is a long time away, and we might as well get used to the thought of it: makes live easier if you ask me.

14. Fatgingergooner says:

Rasp,

Maybe they are thinking the Fair Play league could be a route into Europe!!!!

Personally, I don’t give a flying f*ck about contract negotiations. If Robin decides he’s not going to sign a new contract, there is absolutely nothing we can do about it. Therefore, as a fan, it’s completely and utterly pointless worrying about it.

Nice one Rocky.

Robins definantly got a nasty streak to him, which we need cos weve probably got to many nice guys around the squad. Van Persie is at the age age now were the captaincy and the responsibility suits him.

Ive got a nice feeling that Robin will shoot down the Henry Norris haters on Sunday, making them very sad. They will probably cry in fact.

Good point FGG :P

It seems many managers are getting tired of their players getting needlessly sent off – don’t you just love Neil Warnock ….. this is what he said about Traore…..

“I thought it was a disgrace, not the referee, the player,’ said Warnock. ‘I am going to fine him as much as I can. Total amateur Sunday league sending-off. He was a little bit thick and naive.’

18. oz gunner says:

if RVP goes i think it might be the last straw for many arsenal supporters, we shouldn’t have to sell our big stars anymore now our debt is sorted. Why sell and set ourselves back when we should be looking to build. Then again what am i saying logic isn’t in our boards makeup.

@ TA
    oh i hope you’re wrong. With cesc going at least we had Wilshere and ramsey waiting in the wings. If RVP goes who do we have? JET’s gone, so is bendy, we’ll have military bound Park and ‘Minus Confidence’ himself

19. prince robin says:

Great post,long may this revival continue

20. oz gunner says:

@ Rasp

got to feel for traore though hearing that spouted about him so publicly. That sort of thing should be kept behind close doors.

21. TotalArsenal says:

OZ, I hope I am wrong too. We might just have to get used to uncertainty for a while. The one thing we can all count on is that RvP will give everything in every game he plays for us this season (whilst looking after himself when needed so he does not get injured) and that is the most important thing at the moment.

22. 26may1989 says:

Good one Rocky, agree with much of what you say – it was good to see our senior player and captain tell the Bolton players where to go. And he was 100% right, they forfeited any right to demand the ball be put out when they chose to attack us. Fair enough, I don’t begrudge them that attack, but please, don’t come and whinge when we neutralise that attack and launch one of our own.

Van Persie’s an interesting character: the son of two artists, brought up in an ethnically mixed part of Rotterdam, and married to a girl of Moroccan descent he knew from those days. For his marriage he (I think) converted to Islam. Not your typical footballer’s biog. But the spiky aspects of his character have been retained as he has matured.

Did Hansen really say that? What a tool. That’s why I watch it on record and FF past those “experts”.

Contracts? Who knows? As Chas says, it’s not something we can influcence, or even know what is going on, so let’s just get on with rebuilding the season and the team, and start worrying about the other stuff in 2012.

Rasp: I though Warnock’s comments about Traore were spot on! But his whining about the referee (“Those fouls don’t usually get given”) was pretty silly. Having watched much of the game yesterday, I’m looking forward to us bagging 6 points from each of QPR and Villa, very low quality fare.

23. Fatgingergooner says:

Oz,

Warnock bollocked him when he was walking off!!!

Traore was awful yday. Gave away a pen, sent off, and if you thought it was just the Man U game where he was only passing backwards or sideways then you would be wrong as that’s all he did yday! No loss to AFC

24. 26may1989 says:

Oz

Generally, I agree about doing things behind closed doors, but occasionally going public is no bad thing. In fact, if memory serves, one of the few times Wenger did so was in van Persie’s early days with us, when he got a red card against Southampton. Wenger said afterwards van Persie had to grow up.

25. OG,

When I saw the sending off I thought it was a pretty stupid act on behalf of Traore, then I saw Warnock put his hand on the player’s shoulder and talk to him I thought now that’s good management, consoling the lad. But oh no! That’s not what he was doing at all, he was giving a right bollocking which, on reflection, was the right and proper thing to do although, it could have waited untill they were in the privacy of the dressing room

RL,

as usual an excellent postand in a sentence RVP has grown up and cooled his temper and that is a pleasure to see as opposed to the young man who I believe only 2 years ago head butted the Stoke keeper. Keown also had his mad moments the one that sticks in the memory was the jumping up on RvN after his penalty miss at OT.

As usual i don’t take the usual line on here as i believe a captain especially at this moment of time should be a defender, but there isn’t a suitable candidate bar vermaelen, but longativity at Arsenal at the moment counts for a lot so RVP it is.
    I would like to continue our debate about player contracts. They are worthless as has been seen with many top players including our own Cesc who had 4 years still left on his contract.
    One has to accept that supporting the club and showing critism doesn’t make one a better or less supporter of the club.if not I just won’t comment anymore.

I know everyone is taling about the FFP rules but I think the board/wenger have cocked up big time. There has to be a balance in the squad and the purse strings have to be loosened a bit.
    if gibbs improves if santos fits in, if kos starts to make less elementary mistakes, if mertsacker slowly gels and provide a decent performer to vermaelen if he remains fit, then we have a nucleus of a decent defence.
    If RVP remains uninjured one of the best in the world. Will gervinho provide that extra bit in attacking option ?. Walcott has to be played on wing or centrally if he remains fit, as yet he needs to improve his gam more to see where he really fits in best
    i expext Arteta to make a mark but yet another who is prone to injury.benyahoun the same but more of a cameo role,.
    can song and frimpomg both play in midfield with ramsey and then of course there is the enigma Diaby who may slot in.
    Too many ifs for me, but chamberlain should get his chance as well as Park but will they ?
    I am nowhere near confinced this team is ready to challenge for 4th.as we are literally experimenting but more importantly don’t have a settled team.
    Chamakh,Squillacci,Vela Rosicky and Almunia hould be sold by the end of th season,Lansbury’s loan move was to me a bad decision, Fab should go out on loan but personally I believe he has gone mentally, and interestingly Bendtner has changed his tune and maybe he will come back a rejuvinated player.
    Strangely enough we have three clean sheets this season but to me we are nowhere near the team we could be.
    If we make the top 4 i would be overjoyed but all it is is extra revenue for the club.it is imperative that we win something otherwise players like RVP will be approached and leave.Money speaks all languages.

4th league win in 16 is pleasing but nothing will convince me that we are nothing more than a pretty good side on certain days, at least for now.

27. Red Arse says:

Rocky the Master scores again; in off the Post! :-)

That is an insightful and somewhat intriguing take on Robin.

There is tho’ a slightly cynical thought in my mind (I know, I Know, typical me) that Arsene’s decision to make RVP captain follows a well worn route.

Thierry, Gallas and Cesc, before Robin, were all offered the captains armband when they were agitating for moves or had other ‘issues’ with the club. Perhaps RVP had been voicing his concerns to AW about the Cesc – Nasri moves and told him he was unhappy and was given the captaincy. Who knows?

I loved Chas’ comment at 10:09 – “Personally, I don’t give a flying f*ck about contract negotiations.” :-)

But of course everyone will worry about the contract extensions, in due course, as the Nasri situation left a bad taste.

Finally, given London’s propensity for rubbish forecasts, his 9:59 comment -” The world could also end tomorrow.” – leaves me feeling a little worried. :-)

28. TotalArsenal says:

26, interesting background info on RvP. He did indeed grow up in a mixed-race neighbourhood in Rotterdam. He was known as the ‘Hollander’ at his local square where he played street-footie, being the only white kid among Blacks and Arabs.

Regarding religion he was quoted in a Dutch newspaper, saying:

“I believe in myself. When you are a good bloke that will bring positivity to the society. A better world starts at home, they say. No?”

His wife is a Muslim.

And on certain websites it reads that Van Persie has also converted to Islam.

So what’s the story?

“It’s not true. I am not a Muslim, nor a Christian or a Jew. I have been raised liberally. If you want to become a Muslim it should come from the heart. I would not do it just to please my wife. To believe for me is a quest for being a good man.”

29. harry says:

Rocky, tip top as usual………..

Robin, The prince of gooners for sure……..

I think the reason the other players didnt rush over was, that there was only 5 of them and Robin had that covered, so our boys stood and waited to see if it got to 7 or 8 before been needed? Thats my take………

On the Contract issue, we are all falling into the media honey trap as usual. As GIE pointed out yesterday, the press have twisted words to suit. Ok we havent a good record with regards to dealing with contract extensions, but we cannot force players to sign and we should focus as fans on the here and now. I for what it is worth, believe that the PoG will sign if we are challenging…….so lets get behind them……

30. oz gunner says:

@ 26

sometimes i agree it can be a good thing, and arsene said it in an acceptable manner a personal motivator perhaps, but warnock…that is degrading a player at its best. What does he hope to gain by exposing it to the media? For someone who would be low on confidence after the manure game, and not cutting the mustard at the mighty gunners, he must not even be able to look himself in the mirror atm. True great characters have it in them to bounce back (after all warnock may think his character is one that can handle it and fire him up, he’d definently know more than me), but theres a time and a place

31. TotalArsenal says:

Love this quote from RvP about the Iceman (same article back in 2008):

Van Persie (24) remembers sitting in a Jacuzzi after a recuperation training.

Looking to the left he could see the training ground through the window, where Bergkamp was training with a few youth players.

“In 45 minutes he did not make a single mistake. And no one was watching. Only a fitness coach and some youths were there. I thought: that man is so unique. Purely for his own sake he does not want to make any mistakes. That is what I wanted as well. As a youngster you need answers. These don’t always come in the form of words.”

32. j says:

The Jesus analogy, when you started to talk about archangels, showed you up to be a simple man tripping over his own feet to impress. It was cringeworthy writing by even GCSE standards.

It’s okay though, we need people like you to fill in Excel sheets.

33. Gooner in Exile says:

Morning all, great post Rocky, I must admit I hadn’t looked at RvPs defiance in the face of the mob as you have, but now you have pointed it out it is obvious.

Read with interest about the players dinner last week, bit of bonding, also that Wenger said part of the reason for his captaincy is the respect he has from other players.

For me he has something of the Iceman image that DB10 had.

Regarding contract talks as Chas says it’s out of our hands, but I will give it a go by tweeting him a copy of this article :D

But for the time being I am more concerned with performances on the pitch….and as long as he shows the fight on the pitch

34. oz gunner says:

Sounds like something Ralph Waldo Emerson would say. RVP is a wise man

35. Red Arse says:

Oz,

I can’t really be arsed to worry about Traore to be honest, but I think you have a point, if what was reported was accurate.

Warnock has often made ‘ironic’ comments, such as praising the ref when he meant completely the opposite, for example.

Yesterday he was fuming about the penalties he claimed QPR should have had, and one of them, I think, was legitimate; and also bemoaning the pen Villa was awarded, again I think he was right, so whether he really meant what he claims he said to Traore, or not, is open to doubt. Enough. :-)

36. Gooner in Exile says:

Impressive comment J! Do you expect people who believe Football to be the only religion to really have a detailed understanding of a fabricated myth…maybe you both are reading different versions.

37. gooner lost in cornwall says:

I would like to think that , RVP, Verm`and Theo have characters of substance,loyalty and integrity. All three have spent a significant part of their Arsenal careers on the treatment table with decent payment. They owe us, for standing by them!.
    RVP, absolutely sure he loves us, has his own box at THOF. I think the only sticky point with him is, our ambition, who, we do or dont bring in, in January could be the decider. All three have been shown so much love,loyalty and respect by the Arsenal world, now it`s time to payback in kind.
    Call me as optimistic as TMHT(MAD) but I think they will do the right thing.

38. pat says:

Warnock signed Barton. Do we need to go any further about his credentials as a manager?

RVP did great today – I have said before that I thought he was struggling with the captaincy but he came up trumps today – well done Robin. Great write up Rocky.

39. oz gunner says:

@ GLIC

i agree, i think our faith will be returned

j@11:05

Please feel free to never visit the site again as we clearly fall well below your standards.

FYI, Rocky is one of the most admired writers on any blog and is a professional journalist by training – I’m not sure what qualifies you to make your judgements but I would be more than happy if you choose not to respond.

J,
    Whats Jesus got to do with Excel?

Cornwall,
    Thats the spirit.

j,

Presumably you have very recent knowledge of GCSEs.

Shouldn’t it be “even by GCSE standards”?

“showed you up to be” isn’t very good English either.

2/10 could do better.

Morning all and thanks for the comments.

While he’s been with us Prince Robin has grown from boy to man, and for me he hasn’t put a foot wrong since he came back from injury last season.

The point (above) that AW made him captain to try and stop him leaving (just like Cesc and TH14) is probably right, but this time, by good fortune, the captaincy has landed on someone who really deserves it.

As for the Prince’s comments about a new contract, to me his words read completely professionally: he is saying that for now it’s all about the football and that the negotiations will have to wait for the right moment. In other words he was trying to deflect the journos’ attempts to make an issue of it (not that it stopped them).

And a final word on the Warnock/Traore stuff. If you read the full quote Warnock went on to say what a great player Traore was and how he would learn from moments like that. As a youth graduate of Arsenal, it’s probably the first bollocking he’s ever had. Who knows, that sort of handling might turn him into the sort of player he could never manage to be for us.

44. pat says:

J re your 11:05 am – WTF? Totally uncalled for and off base… do not include “me” in your “we” thank you very much.

45. Red Arse says:

GLIC,

I hope you are right.

On the other hand, look at the example of Owen Hargreaves. I do not have any time for Manyoo, but for the purpose of this debate, they appear to have done everything possible for Hargreaves, sending him all over the world to help his recovery and paying for everything he needed.

He hardly played a game for them despite being paid a huge wedge of money, and the first thing he did when he joined the other Mancunian club is to bleat about how badly he had been treated and that they had made him feel like a lab rat. (Or something similar :-) )

Nasri, Adebayor, Gallas? Loyal Gooners? – not where money is involved.

Rasp
    I meant to say, thanks for finding and including that picture. Great job.

47. Red Arse says:

Hi Rocky, :-)

‘Twas I that raised an alternative, possible reason for AW giving RVP the captain’s doo dah.

It was not that I disagree with you regarding Prince Robin’s suitability for the job.

It was much more a reflection of my concern that AW may have given it to him for different reasons; a la Cesc, Titti, Gallas etc, none of whom in my mind were particularly good captains, but each of whom were causing Arsene concerns about their future employment and we all know that if RVP had requested an exeat at this time we would be totally buggered.

As if I would disagree with the Master. :-)

No worries Rocky,

I had to search far and wide, but eventually found it – usually there is a mutlitude of pics when there is a controversy with one of our players – nice to see the press concentrate on his 2 goals although they have reverted to type and it’s all about his contract now :(

49. Red Arse says:

Rocky,

Now you mention the picture that accompanied your Post, I am afraid I had an irreligious thought. It seems to me that Robin is adopting a stance similar to mine when I am offering a dishy dolly the time of her life.

— *Stand by* —- I think Prince Robin is going to kiss the Frog Knight! — Oh no, what have I just written? Forgive me Archangel!! :-)

50. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Life`s great mystery`s. This is a plea! . There is a great depth of knowledge and experience of everything on AA. This is not football related.
    I have always said, the worst place for getting knocks on a car, is the supermarket car park. Tescos have just extended the one in Launceston, so its big!. I always go to the furthest part, and park so that there are no other cars within 100m. When I return to my car, there is always someone parked next to me, so that we are both the only cars there alone!. With all the open space, why park inches next to me ?, open their door and bash my car!.
    It`s a mystery and pet hate, please help me AAAA(Arsenal Arsenal agony Aunt. ) :(

RA,

How dare you mention the Archangel. I demand that you come round this moment and assist me with the technical difficulties i am experiencing with integrating Excel and Sage.

52. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Redders, @11:29
    The big difference I suppose ,is that Manure let Hargreaves go, before City took him off the scrapheap. We dont want ours to go!

53. TotalArsenal says:

It is all true, that at the moment it is RvP’s performances on the pitch which really matter and that we, as fans, cannot influence contract negotiations – even the BoD will need Robin to want to tango along. However, it would be wrong not to view this as a crucial issue right now. We need stability in the squad and our captain’s longterm plans need to be with Arsenal. It just cannot be ignored, however inconvenient this is and powerless it will make us feel.

54. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Well done Arsenal Ladies, for winning the Treble :)

Cornwall,

Your soloution can be found in the film Midnight Express, specificaly the scene were eveybody in the mental institution goes round the monument east to west. The key is to defy the masses and go round west to east. In your case it is to park the car across 2 parking spaces, thereby confusing the sheep who drive into the carpark and see your car as some form of beacon. i gaurantee you they will park there car the furhest distance possible to yours.

56. Red Arse says:

GLIC, and TerryM,

As you are friends, I think I can help you both at the same time — but do not call me Auntie!!

Using the sagacity (sage, geddit) that comes from each being an afficionado of AA, print a large sign using an excel spreadsheet that says;
    “IF YOU PARK NEXT TO ME, GOD MAY FORGIVE YOU, BUT I WILL BREAK YOUR F*CKING LEG.”

Seemples!! :-)

Morning glic,

I’m wondering why your name does not appear in the list of authors – long overdue I’d say :)

Redders
    I was agreeing completely with your assertion about the reasons for the Prince being given the armband :)

But I was making the point that, by accident rather than design, this time AW has actually chosen a decent captain.

59. Red Arse says:

He’s too busy working out parking permutations Rasper! :-)

:lol: RA,

I have had a similar experience with ‘magnetic parking’. It seems that it is human nature that if there is only one car in a car park, the next to arrive parks alongside – maybe we don’t want our cars to be lonely?

TMHT
    I like your solution to the parking conundrum. People will always steer clear if you display “nutter” behaviour.

62. Gooner in Exile says:

TMHT…..simple answer to your Sage/Excel comment is to not bother and just export CSV from Sage and play in Excel.

Rocky, although I quite like the ‘Prince’ prefix, going by his european roots and dark side, don’t you think Count Robin van Persie has a better ring? :P

64. Red Arse says:

Rocky, what a combo! :-)

(I also know, that deep down, you are referring to yourself as the Archangel Rocky, sent to smite down the “J”‘s of this world!) :-)

Rasper how discriminatory of you against Hair Transplants to not extend the same invitation to TerryM to write a Post as that you have made to GLIC.

Perhaps they could write a joint one?

GLIC; “I love superb football.”
    TerryM; “So do I.”
    GLIC; “Terry and I both love superb football.”
    TerryM;
    :-)

The parking issue that bugs me is this:

You’re in a busy car park, no empty spaces and you see someone walking up to their car and getting in, so you wait for them to leave. They have clearly seen you waiting. But they fiddle in their pockets/handbags, they adjust the mirrors, they tidy up the seats, do their make-up etc etc. In other words, they take ages before they pull out.

An American university once rigged a multi-storey car park with hidden cameras to study the psychology of parking. They found that a person returning to their car will take, on average, twice as long before driving off if they can see someone waiting than if there is nobody waiting.

I’m not sure what that says about human nature, but it can’t be good…

Thanks GIE.

Rocky, i have found nutty behaviour also works very well on london transport.

67. Red Arse says:

GIE, you are such a show off! Typical accountant!! :-)

Redders
    Your 12.18 was very funny.

By the way, thanks for everyone responding to J. To be honest, I can’t be bothered giving the hit-and-run merchants the ‘oxygen of a debate’.

He clearly has an axe to grind though. Perhaps he was raised by Christian Brothers in Ireland and his arse is still sore.

:lol: Rocky

TMHT, Red Arse has quite rightly pointed out that I should have pressganged you into writing an article for the site way before now.

Consider yourself invited. The behind the scenes gang can give you any help, add pics etc etc. It’s not obligatory by any means but I’d hope its nice for contributors to see their name in the side bar.

Thanks Rasp, hard acts to follow on here thats for sure.

71. gooner lost in cornwall says:

RA and TMHT,
    Thanks for the advice, I`ll go with TMHT`s suggestion.
    RA, I thought your suggestion, was a bit over the top, until I realised you only said “LEG” not LEGS! ,your far too big hearted! :)
    Rasp,
    Thanks, maybe one day , when I`ve got something new or interesting to say but I`m not in the league of you gentlemen. You (all), pretty much cover most subject`s on The Arsenal, with great knowledge,depth and debate with humour, always great reading.

Not a bit of it TMHT, you’re right out of the AA mould :) My only concern is that I won’t be able to get your full name in the widget – I’d hate to have to reduce your point size :roll:

glic, my answer to you is the same as to TMHT.

There are a multitude of topics we can write about related to Arsenal – as obscure as you like. We can always suggest topics if anyone is floundering for ideas :P

…… although I reckon an article on great Cornish footballers would be quite short?

Rocky,
    Coming as I do straight from dribbling over an Excel sheet, and then reading your 11:26 where you say that “Robin has grown from Boy to Man”, I have to disagree. Having a GCSE in Lipreading as I may do, I can confirm that if you look carefully at Rasp’s pic in your post, Robin is saying “ooooOOOOOoooo, haandbaaaags”, which is frankly rather juvenile.
    A damn good Mooning would have been sufficient.

76. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Rasp, “magnetic parking” brilliant!, I shall forever refer to it as that! :)
    Rocky@12:18, Have you noticed they do the same in petrol stations, whilst queueing!

A good article for tomorrow might be to compare man for man, the likely first team choices for our game against the spuds.

Rasp,
    Paul Mariner?

79. Red Arse says:

Rocky,

I did not know about that car park study, but like you I have observed the same phenomenon.

The only time I did something about it was when baulked by two young blokes who saw me waiting, got in their car and just started to adjust mirrors and light up cigarettes etc.

So, losing patience, I parked my car across the back of theirs, and sure enough the driver quickly got out, followed by his mate, and came around to me swearing and cursing and said he was just going and politely asked me to eff off.

Being slightly large does sometimes help. I grasped each of them by their T Shirts and pulled them towards me and whispered that I was going in for a few items, and I wanted them to make sure my car remained unscratched when I got back.

When I got back, they were acting all nonchalant as if they had always intended staying, but became desperate when I pointed out a scratch on the side of my car. (It was already there :-) ).

Pretending to be reluctantly convinced, I drove off feeling all was well with the world.

Three days later, a security guard at the same place approached and told me there had been a complaint made, which he had seen on the CCTV, and asked me not to fool around with my friends and to observe the stores parking rules.
    Apparently, someone had reported two “layabouts” acting suspiciously and punching each other while waiting for their big friend to come back!!! :-)

RA,

Ha ha ha, thats brilliant.

81. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Rasp, Looked on Wiki, only 19 Cornish footballers and none that great!. As you said short article! :)

Well done for accepting the Cornish footballer challenge Micky, wiki has Mariner as born in Farnworth wherever that is?

More of a rugby and tug of war county then glic

Redders
    Brilliant :)

…and rolling burning bales of straw down packed village streets…

Strange people those Cornish.

They’re Celts, but even the Bretons think they’re odd, and that’s saying something.

86. gooner lost in cornwall says:

And they like to do thing`s “drekkly”

87. Red Arse says:

GLIC, TerryM,

I have a topic suggestion for you.

What about debating a comparison between unsung players of the past, as compared with their opposite numbers in the current era. Did they, for instance, amount to more than the sum of their parts – umm – were they individually hopeless, but good in the team.

Who? Well what about Sammy Nelson, Alan Skirton, John Sneddin, Ian Ure, Laurie Brown from days past (don’t know them really but have looked them up.) :-) As opposed to Senderos, Denilson, Reyes etc.

Everyone talks about their heroes from different eras, but this could be a very interesting first about those with less exalted careers who contributed to the Arsenal of their time — or not. Or it could be total bollix! :-)

Just off the top of my head :roll:

Physical isolation provides the key to Cornish history. A rocky peninsula, jutting out some 90 miles into the Atlantic Ocean, Cornwall stands at the extreme south-western corner of the British Isles. Surrounded by waves on all sides but one, it is practically severed from the adjoining lands to the east by the River Tamar, which runs almost from sea to sea.

Following the collapse of Roman rule in Britain, this natural fortress became a place of refuge for many of the original British inhabitants (sometimes referred to as ‘Celts’) of these islands, after they were driven westwards by Saxon conquerors. An independent British polity was established in Cornwall, and was defended against Saxon incursion for many hundreds of years. Not until 838 were the ‘West Britons’ finally subdued – and for centuries after this Cornwall retained many of the marks of a separate country.

…the culture of the ordinary Cornish people remained entirely different from that of their English neighbours
    Although mediaeval Cornwall was – technically speaking – an English county just like any other, the culture of the ordinary Cornish people remained entirely different from that of their English neighbours. They still spoke in the Cornish tongue: a Brythonic language, closely allied with Welsh. They still prided themselves on being descended from British ancestors, rather than Saxon ones. And, as late as the mid-16th century, they still possessed their own styles of dress, their own folklore, their own naming-customs, their own agricultural practices and their own games and pastimes.

In addition, the English Crown had established two special administrative institutions in Cornwall – the Duchy of Cornwall and the Stannary organisation (which oversaw the local tin-mining industry)- and this made it easy for ordinary Cornish people to believe that they had been granted a unique constitutional status to reflect their unique cultural identity.

89. gooner lost in cornwall says:

RA, Alan Skirton was one of my first heroes, scoring 54 goals in 154 games, not bad really!

90. Red Arse says:

Hanging Judge Jeffries soon put an end to all that nonsense – didn’t he? :-)

Rasper, 1:07, “Just off the top of my head” — far be it from me to disagree with you, except for the use of the word ‘Just’! :-)

91. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Blimey Rasp!, I do about 15 words and you do a hard back, not in your class Raspy. :)

The wonders of google eh? :)

Nothing ceases to amaze me on AA how at a flip of a coin the subject matter changes.

I could understand about teams parking the bus but now where best to park in a supermarket has stretched even my imagination.

Kelsey :)

By the way, I agree with your earlier comment that, generally, it’s better to have a defender or MF as captain, but in our case I feel The Prince is the right man just now. We need our confidence rebuilding and he exudes confidence.

As for your long list of ‘ifs’ :(

But I still think that if we don’t get any further bad luck (in particular, serious injuries to key players like RvP, Szcz, Song and Theo) we can be in with a shout at the title.

Right, off to work now.

Will pop in later.

96. gooner lost in cornwall says:

kelsey, Maybe there is a connection. You know when Theo has the ball and there`s acres of space, yet theo manages to run into the only defender in the acres of space. Well the next time I park in acres of space at Tesco`s and the “magnetic car” parks next to me, I shall say to them , nice parking Theo.
    Shall we call Theo, Magneto! and will Redders want to break he`s leg! :)

One thing that might change my mind is that gazidis said about 10 days ago that we would be hearing from Kroenke soon. Now how do you define soon. (over to RA)

It would just nice to hear something positive from the club itself which is actually meant.

When AW quite rightly says that the recession will bite harder at least for another few years what is he actually telling us in football terms ? Everything can be intrepreted in many ways.
    I wont go over the obvious with City being able to blow anyone out of the water but they can only buy so many players.

The inferstructure at Arsenal is there,no doubt in my mind but is the squad strong enough to maintain at the minimum a 4th spot.
    Can Wenger be more flexible in his formation to suit each game ?
    I am sorry i have my doubts as we keep getting mixed messages from PHW,Gazidis and Wenger these last 18 months or so.

More lke a DB7, went like lightning but always broke down :)

Hi kelsey,

I share our bewilderment over the messages coming from the club hierarchy. They all seem to function as saparate entities.

Does PHW ever run his statements past IG? – I doubt it.

Is AW being critical of the Board in a covert way?

Does IG only ever speak spin?

The much reported “Arsene has our full support” is usually an indication that the process of replacing the manager has begun.

RL. Another fine post. I have always enjoyed RvP when he is confronted as he never backs down.

kelsey. Your assumptions regarding the “if’s” appear to be negative. Mine are positive and I am sure you would like me to be right :-)

101. Gooner in Exile says:

I bet PHW’s comments come from the Old Boys Club after too many ports and a slip of the tongue and the Daily Star reporter he drinks with just writes it all up. Bet he buys a lot of the port too :D

102. 26may1989 says:

How long will it be before Nasri and Clichy are quoted saying something like “It would be fantastic if Robin came here, he would love it”? Two days? Four? Maybe we should get a sweepstake going.

103. Gooner in Exile says:

Rasp your take on that comment by IG is I’m sure to gather debate, but you must know that when asked “is Wenger going to be sacked?” he has three options, and all could lead to negative media spin.

1) Answer : If form does not improve we will have to consider = Headline : Wenger at Risk – Gazidis Piles Pressure on Arsene

2) Answer : No comment = Headline : Gazidis Avoids Questions On Wengers Future

3) Answer : He has our full support = Headline : Gazidis Gives Dreaded Vote of Confidence.

And that is the long and short of it, what else should he say? He didn’t just spout it out without being questioned, it wasn’t a press release, he was asked the question at the Sporting Breakfast shindig thingamabob and he has few other options.

104. gunnern5 says:

Re the parking issues;

My pet peeve is with the jerks that drive exotic cars who invariably park them diagonally across two parking spots.

I don’t have to ask “Who the hell do they think they are”? because I already know the answer……….

It’s as much as I can do to stop myself from putting the boot in.

Gn5
    Those are not jerks – it’s TMHT trying to stop people scratching his car by purporting to be insane. I think.

106. Red Arse says:

Kelsey,

I suspect your query as to the definition of ‘soon’ was rhetorical, else you would have referred it to 26. :-)

I did not see the quote, but Arsenal’s results/accounts are due to be announced soon, and I suppose Hissing Sid — scrub that — Silent Stan — will deign to visit London for that occasion, and perhaps he will grace us with his vision for the future of the club.

In the meantime, relax, GIE is right, everything emanating from the club is being over analysed and the entrails closely examined for signals of one sort or another.

AFC will never sack AW. He is a loyal member of the management team, and has made a lot of meulah for them, altho times are getting more and more difficult to run the footballing side of things on a shoestring and the stress is beginning to show.

107. Red Arse says:

Rocky, :-)

That flaming TerryM — he’s everywhere!! :-)

Do you have any more trips across the pond planned Redders?

I’m occasionally in NY, so we might even manage a discreet tete-a-tete to discuss matters Arsenal and gossip about Rasp.

109. Red Arse says:

Kelsey,

Your 1:38,

In case 26 is not around, I think in the context of the sentence you reported – “One thing that might change my mind is that gazidis said about 10 days ago that we would be hearing from Kroenke SOON.” –
    I think ‘soon’ could be defined as ‘in the near future’.

110. Red Arse says:

Rocky,

Everyone gossips about Rasp! :-)

I had a contract pretty much sorted out to take me back to NY last Jan/Feb. My rather unexpected illness stopped that. I then hoped to go this July/August (it is tax work etc for a show bizzy relative) but again things have still not been quite right.

The current plan is Dec/Jan, but I am not building up too much hope, but as soon as I am able I will def meet up and buy you a Coors! :-)

111. gunnern5 says:

I’m somewhat in agreement with Kelsey’s sentiments.

Earlier in the pre- season I said that this will be our true transition year. I fully expect us to win nothing, including 4th spot.

The team is weaker than it has been for the best part of 8/9 seasons.
    I’m not interested in the whys or wherefore’s of what got us to where we are, I’m only interested in where we go from here.

Silverware has never been a priority for me, in my 64 years of supporting the Gunners we’ve only won trophies in 15 – so I’ve already experienced 49 barren years and a few more will be nothing new. Nothing this season, and it will be 50 – more years than many of you have been alive.

Our last minute additions to our squad can only be seen as last gasp buying and I’m not (as yet) enamoured by any of them.

Gervinho – constantly runs into trouble, moves break down because of him and he displays a poor ability with his final pass.

Mertesacker – Is very slow and has not used his height to gain us and advantage. He never appears to be dangerous when we have set pieces.

Arteta – is the best of the additions but at 29/30 is here for the short term and not the long term.

Benayoun – a one year loan speaks volumes. One year.

Santos – so far has looked slow and out of place.

Park – only saw him against Shrewsbury, but he did not look at all comfortable.

I hope that in a few weeks time my negative assessment of them will change because I would be thrilled to be proven wrong.

We have not shone in any game so far this season and have looked ragged in most, Bolton (IMLTHO) was not a step in the right direction, or a great improvement – it was a good 35 minutes against 10 men. We could have been blown away by our porous defense in the 1st half but good fate and a great save by Szczensy saved the blushes and the day.

I believe that the January window will be an important period, Arsene will have had 4 months to evaluate his new players and if he finds them wanting he should, repeat should, put the window to good use.

112. Red Arse says:

You raise some interesting points GN5, as usual.

I am unclear about what you mean, in part.

You say;
    “I said that this will be our true transition year. I fully expect us to win nothing, including 4th spot.”
    Later you say;
    “Silverware has never been a priority for me.”

So if you do not envision relegation, and you are not bothered about silverware, I do not understand what exactly your fear is?

With regards to the new signings, surely it is too early to judge. They need time to bed down and I think Saturday’s game showed a distinct improvement in Arteta and Mert.

113. gunnern5 says:

RA,

My comments were really meant to be an offset against the euphoria over us winning against Bolton.

Why wouldn’t Arteta and Mertesacher look good against – firstly a wall of defense and then ten men – they should have shone not shown improvement – especially Mertesacker.

My, as yet, unspoken fear is that in buying sub-standard players we may have just doomed ourselves to a period (X seasons) of mediocrity.

114. gunnern5 says:

RA,

Me again.

Just to be clear.

I can do without silverware, but I cannot stand even the thought of mediocrity.

I agree with GN5, mediocrity and that awful phrase ‘mid table respectability’ go pretty much hand in hand. IMO it will be a very sad day if we fail to get into the CL next year. Everything about the club is ‘top four’ except the results at the moment.

I bet most of the supporters who used to complain that simply getting top 4 was not good enough would gladly take that achievement this season at the moment.

The question that only time will tell is whether the group of players we currently have are capable of gelling into a team that can compete with the best.

I personally think it extremely unlikely that we will be making any significant signings in January, particularly as TV and Jack will probbaly be just coming back.

116. Red Arse says:

OK, GN5 I understand your point now. :-)

The euphoria is probably just a re-action to the clouds of doom that have hung over all of us for some time now. I don’t imagine that anyone believes the performance to have been anything but the first steps to recovery, and an injection of much needed confidence.

We may have different styles of expression but we are both similar in challenging what we see and hear, and do not blindly swallow any guff that is blown our way. Actually, your ‘nemesis’, Rasp, is also of that mind, and frequently questions the PR that is dished out.

But back to your point about sub-standard players. I do not profess to know the ins and outs of our Summer transfer dealings, and faced with the facts of the players we did buy, I intend to give them every support.
    However, once they have had a fair chance to settle in with the team, I do reserve the right form my own opinion as to their worth to the team, and express that opinion. So I could not and will not deny you that right too. :-)

If it was possible to wind the clock back to early August (and with the new scientific discovery that sub atomic particles can travel faster than light, that may be possible) :-) I would not have had Arteta, Mert, Park, Santos or Gervinho (who he) on my wish list.

Like many, I would have had, Benzema (no chance), Mata (no chance) Subotic (no chance) and Baines (maybe) on my list.
    For (no chance) say instead (no money). :-)
    But that brings us back around in a circle to the same question about what funds were available, if any.

So I am content with what we have, in the circumstances, and will give them a chance and I am sure you will too! :-)

Gn5
    How many of those 49 barren years were also mediocre ones?

I haven’t lived through as many seasons as you, but I’m old enough to remember times when we were pretty dire.

None of us knows quite how the cards are going to fall this season and your forecast may well be accurate.

But I think you’re being a little bit hard on some of the newbies. Santos has played one game, so, for me at least, it’s a bit early to write him off as slow and out of place. Likewise Park. The conventional wisdom used to be that it takes half a season to settle into the EPL, so we need to give these guys a chance.

Mertesacker had a good game against Bolton and looks (again, to my eye at least) a calm and assured presence at the back who will get better as he gets more used to his team mates.

Apart from that shot on goal in the first couple of minutes, I don’t remember Bolton looking dangerous at all. I don’t know what the stats are, but I’d be surprised if they had more than 3 or 4 attempts on goal.

Benayoun – a loan seems a perfectly good arrangement. If he has a great season we can try to buy him, if not, cheerio. I happen to like him as a player and I feel he’ll get important goals for us this season.

Gerv – I agree that nothing came off for him on Saturday, but he is also feeling his way into a new set-up and has shown glimpses of real talent.

I always respect your view Gn5, but I don’t feel as worried as you currently are (although I would not be surprised if we lose at the weekend).

Also, I can’t see much in the way of euphoria. People are (naturally) pleased with a win, but there aren’t many on here who think we’re out of the woods yet…

119. gooner lost in cornishloonybin says:

RA,
    Me and TMHT have just floss capivated sub-atomic particles to our Kergeltungswaffe zwei(Per mert` the biggest thing to land since), in our shared cell and made a time machine. We are now back from the past, and if you turn onto Sky Sports, you will see ,after buying Cahill ,Goetze,Hazard, we are top of the league! :)

120. Red Arse says:

Rocky,

What I think would be a better way of judging the new players and the team falls into the “if only” category.

The loss of our best two players (Cesc and Nasri) and an experienced and pretty decent player on his day (Clichy) is a given, but to also lose the next two best players (?) Jack and Vermalaen was pretty catastrophic by anyone’s reckoning.

Losing 50% of last years outfield players in one go, all of them the best players to boot, and then to try and add in new players to make a cohesive team unit was always going to be extremely difficult.

They are sobering statistics and allowances should be made, for the team and the manager! What do you think, Oh Great One? :-)

121. Red Arse says:

GLICLoony Bin,

That’s nothing!

I got my sub atomic particles back to front and have returned as your Mrs, so yesterday I was arrested for going into the Ladies! Damn these Kergeltungswaffen!! :-)

122. gunnern5 says:

Rocky,

We were mediocre for 22 of those 49 seasons, so I’ve both witnessed and had my fill of mediocre.
    If it does take half a season for the new recruits to settle in then we will be out of everything by Christmas. If that becomes a reality then it will be very difficult to get our class players to sign contract extensions.

123. gunnern5 says:

RA;

Rasp and I have buried the hachet and I’m seeking a new nemesis – any takers?

124. Red Arse says:

GN5,

I am pleased to hear you have buried the hatchet with the Rasper, and I am always willing to learn — where exactly in Rasp did you bury it? :-)

I would happily offer my poor services as your new nemesis, but unfortunately, I laugh too much at your one liners and would fail miserably at the task. :-)

A high percentage of the bloggers on here have been involved in management of one kind or another and so I am sure would agree that the prime task of management is to get the very best out of the resources at your disposal and by virtue of experience and foresight plan for the future. Its all about decision making.

So the questions I keep asking myself are:

1. Did we get the best outcome possible from the summer transfer dealings?

2. Are we getting the best out of the players we have?

3. Do these players have the quality to keep us in the top four?

No-one knows the true facts behind what went on in the summer but I would imagine that the majority are disappointed at the way it panned out.

We are clearly not getting the best out of the new players yet, but that is to be expected. If they can perform near to their best once settled in the side and we still don’t make top four then we will in reality be going backwards as a club.

126. gunnern5 says:

Oh bury the hatchet irascible Red.
    For peace is a blessing the White man said.
    The savage concurred – and said weapon was interred,
    with imposing rites in the White mans head.

. My darling, my lover, my beautiful wife:
    Marrying you has screwed up my life.

. I see your face when I am dreaming.
    That’s why I always wake up screaming.

Kind, intelligent, loving and hot;
    This describes everything you are not.

Love may be beautiful, love may be bliss,
    But I only slept with you ’cause I was pissed.

. I thought that I could love no other
    — that is until I met your brother.

Roses are red, violets are blue, sugar is sweet, and so are you.
    But the roses are wilting, the violets are dead, the sugar bowl’s empty and so is your head.

. I want to feel your sweet embrace;
    But don’t take that paper bag off your face.

I love your smile, your face, and your eyes
    Damn, I’m good at telling lies!

My love, you take my breath away.
    What have you stepped in to smell this way?

. My feelings for you no words can tell,
    Except for maybe ‘Go to hell.’

. What inspired this amorous rhyme?
    Two parts vodka, one part lime.

Now who sent me this ode :)

128. gunnern5 says:

My wife was looking in the mirror and she said
    ” Oh dear, I look old and fat and ugly, I wish somebody would pay me a compliment”

I told her that she had perfect eyesight.

Rasp,
    yes and no.

cesc could have been sold in fbruary for more money than he actually went for, but though it seems unlikely to me there was a lot of talking between him,his agent and AW that AW admitted he let the guy go at the end,without trying to squeeze Barca for a bit more, which i still find hard to believe as it had been on the agenda for over 18 months.
    Nasri was the right decision as to get 22 million on his last year was unbelievable.

One questions today how long a footballer has to play in the top tier.if he is wise, three years and he is made for life .
    The wage structure should be examined as though we are dealing with a squad some players are worth more than others (as in any business) but the key that is missing is an incentive or bonus structure,but that theory goes straight out of the window with the top top players as they can demand ludicrous wages or move on. A sort of blackmail to replace loyalty. All a bit sad really.

130. gunnern5 says:

My friend was discussing sexual preferences and asked If my wife and I did it doggy style.

I told him no because my wife was more into tricks.

I sit up and beg
    She rolls over dead………….

131. Red Arse says:

GN5, Kelsey,

Thank you both! :-) I shall snaffle both and plagiarise them as my own ……. obviously!

Rasper,

Not bad questions, sir. But to test out the answers I suggest you would also need an agreed criterion against which to measure the success or otherwise of the outcome.

For example: It would not be sufficient to give a simple yes/no answer to question No.1

1. Did we get the best outcome possible from the summer transfer dealings.

Upon what was the outcome posited?
    Determination of Need? Meeting Need? Planning? Negotiating? Financial? On Field? Etc.

Without addressing the method/criterion against which the answer can be measured there would be no hope of arriving at an objective answer, but instead it would allow all sorts of subjectivity to be introduced and make any conclusion meaningless.

I am sure you would agree?

132. Herb'sArmy says:

Hi Rasp, GunnerN5, Kelsey, RA, RL, GLIC, TMHT & any other Gooners here today.
    Sorry I missed you the other day, RA, just got back too late.
    Nice one Rocky, RvP is in scintilating form, coinciding with what must be his longest injury-free period since he joined us.
    GunnerN5, anyone who has been following Arsenal as long as you deserves respect, and to have their views heard. I’m just hitting 50 years of age, so I’m not qualified to be your nemesis.
    And as RA alluded to, your one-liners and jokes (honourable mention to VCC too), provide us with the much-needed humour during difficult times.

133. Red Arse says:

GN5, :-)

There you are, I told you so! :-)

I actualy believe time travel is a theoretical possibility, allinged to the principle of string theory and multi universes of course. In one particular universe all the bloggers on here are premeir league managers battling it out for premeirship supremacy. I wonder who got the short straw and is now managing Tottenham?

135. Red Arse says:

Hi Herb, :-)

Good that you are here.

I was just thinking about you while I was trolling thru’ the other blogs this afternoon.

The Bleachers Report (a Yankee Doodle Blog – I like it :-) ) ran a Post this p.m. and guess what? … it was all about Herbert Chapman and his impact as a manager. Someone liked your Post and pinched it. Tut tut, there’s no shame in the blogosphere!! :-)

RA – all those criteria!

137. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Have never been in Management Rasp, but have been on shop floor plenty of times. In all them times,not once did the management ask the shop floor opinions, they would rather spend £1000`s on a Uni` recruit or some new fad they had heard of, nearly all of the time the answer was in the ocean of knowledge on the shop floor.
    Do the BOD listen to the Army of Arsenal ?
    Does Arsene listen to the Players ?.
    We, the the “shop floor” supporters, have known with crystal clarity what we have needed for a few years now and so have the “shop steward” players (past and present).
    Morphined faced Management, it`s been slapping you on the chops for years now, wake up!.

RA,

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.

PARAPROSDOKIANS. I had to look up “paraprosdokian”. Here is the definition: “Figure of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected; frequently used in a humorous situation.” “Where there’s a will, I want to be in it,” is a type of paraprosdokian.

Quote from na$ri ;)

140. Umm excuse me, but I have lost myself in time travel, all this backwards and forwards, can you believe it, I am often back before I have gone.

Now can anyone tell me where I am, please?

Hi glic, the Board manages AW and IG. IG manages the business and AW manages the team (or at least I wish it were that simple).

As I said earlier, it would be good if they were a bit more cohesive in their approach and the messages they convey. IG lives for PR whereas I actually believe that AW finds it very tiresome to have to spout spin and so he sometimes speaks in cultured riddles.

142. Herb'sArmy says:

I spotted it RA, and wondered whether it was just pure coincidence?
    There’s so much to enjoy about our history, to which Chapman contributed greatly, and the wider the audience, all the better for our fantastic club.
    TMHT – Appreciated your comment from the early hours, cheers mate.

It has been mentioned here and on other blogs but Darren Dein’s name keeps cropping up as he is RVP’s agent.So as Wenger and Dein senior are extremely close friends i don’t think it is unreasable to think that there are maybe one or two options regarding RVP’s future that have already been discussed thoroughly.

144. gooner lost in cornwall says:

TMHT,
    Your now talking too intelligent, get out my cell! :)

I thought I wanted a career. Turns out I just wanted paychecks.

i wonder who said that.

I used to be indecisive. Now I’m not so sure.

You wrote a brilliant article Herb.

Dont worry Cornwall that wasn’t me, that was my smarter self from another universe.

148. Red Arse says:

Kelsey, @ 5:14 :-)

And your 5;15 bolt from the blue! Well you can include me …… out! :-)

Rasper, that’s why they pay me a lot of dosh to do project appraisals. Ask GIE. :-)

If you had agreed, I was about to ask you what your criterion was …. for each question! :-)

Of course, I had ruled out yes/no answers, :-) but if that was what you were looking for, and they were your questions after all, you would get a % Yes and a % No. :-)

149. TMHT,

Will you stop zipping about.

We will get into a time warp paradox, if we are not careful, and then I will have to marry you.

RA, its all academic, arriving at the right place is the ultimate aim, whether by conventional means or something a bit more lateral (my preferred). In the end you are only judged by results.

151. Herb'sArmy says:

There’s so many fine authors on here TMHT, I merely wanted to do the site justice.
    As RA and Rasp said earlier, with your knowledge and love for The Arsenal, I’m sure you could write a literary master-piece yourself.

152. Red Arse says:

Rasper,

I am sure I would agree with you, if I only knew what you meant. :-)

153. Red Arse says:

Kelsey,

Before I go …. were you the one who told me that the early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese?

Thought so! :-)

154. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Sorry people, I`ve just travelled back in time. The Emirates Stadium project has been re-applied to Cornwall County Council, Arsenal now play in Launceston, I get to all games, you lot pitch tents on my 5 acres, ouch!… one of you , have just kicked me in the nuts, complaining about relocation, now i`ve got 2 acres! :)

155. Red Arse says:

Herb,

You are absolutely right about the quality of the Post authors on this site, except one!

I had to retire from writing Posts on the day WordPress itself fell asleep trying to publish one of my dreadful efforts! :-)

156. gooner lost in cornwall says:

@5;31pm,
    Who said that?.
    Was it my other self in a differant dimension?
    Damn them Flux Capasiters. :)

157. gooner lost in cornwall,

That was a good one. I did not know I knew it, so I’m going to go back to AA at 5:41 and be the first to tell it! :-) thanx me.

158. Sod, now my acres have got achers. :-(

159. Herb'sArmy says:

I don’t believe that for a minute RA! You are a fine wordsmith, maybe even on a par with Paul Merton.

160. 26may1989 says:

Interesing comments from kelsey, Rasp, GN5 and RA. Relatively speaking, is there a serious argument against the suggestion that we have moved backwards? With all the ludicrous money sloshing around now (City, Chelsea and PSG, over and above the old hands, Real Madrid and Barca), it just seems obvious that we’ve been overtaken by many clubs we were (thanks to our manager) light years ahead of.

The gutting bit, which winds up so many of us, is the fact that the resources we do have (and which come from the fans) haven’t been utilised fully or in good time. Is there a viable excuse for that?

I was nodding furiously when reading GN5’s words about not being obsessed with silverware, it’s pending mediocrity that’s the pisser. I do feel we’ll see some quality come from this new side (and feel especially optimistic about our buggest buy, Oxlade-Chamebrlain). But I just think that we’ll be going for 4th place (and if Chelsea do really badly, as they could) 3rd place maximum. 5th or 6th is just as likely. And that’s how it will probably be for the foreseeable future.

I hope I don’t get too upset about it as it plays out over the next few years, but the fact is, even if our resources were fully deployed as they should be, we’d still be playing catch-up on the Manchester clubs at the very least. Perhaps we can in time catch United, but City? Sorry, but no. And I hate saying that, as what they are doing destroys what I consider to be the sporting challenge.

Like all of us, I’ll still be rooting for my team of course, but watching the quasi-Arsenal side assembled at the Wastelands hoover up trophies in the coming seasons and play scintilating football, I’ll have a feeling of depressed disgust at what has happened.

Redders… are you fishing for compliments?
    If so, consider me hooked :)
    Your work on AA was greatly admired at the time. I think you might just be a tad, er, lazy… :)

162. gooner lost in cornwall says:

26,
    “buggest buy” oh matron! :)

163. Red Arse says:

I am a boring fart of an accountant, Herb, I do not have the depth of footballing knowledge of all you other guys.

My stuff was written about Arsenal or the FFP rules or the Offside rules etc but always gravitated to maths, science or humour (well my idea of humour :-) ).

What is important is for everyone who has made his or her debut is to follow up with another article. Think of a subject and give it a crack.

You might think it has already been done, but in fact everyone has a different slant on any subject written about and it is always imbued with their own knowledge and experience. That is what makes a Post so interesting and enjoyable. You certainly have it in you! :-)

164. 26may1989 says:

:) Glad you approve Cornwall!!!

“Buggest buy” – Alex Oxlarva-Caterpillar

166. gooner lost in cornwall says:

26,
    I agree with your comments, even the “buggest”one. :)

167. Red Arse says:

Rocky,

Thank you. :-)

It is not laziness really, and neither am I fishing for compliments or displaying false modesty, because I do have a lot to be modest about! :-)

I just do not have the patience, I suppose, to write constructively, altho’ I do enjoy chatting (have you noticed) and probably write many “posts” during the course of a day’s blogging.

I genuinely love reading Posts, especially yours, as you know, because it gives such a good insight into how others see the glad, bad, mad, happy, wonderful world of Arsenal footie. And I try to encourage others to write because there is a wealth of talent out there that deserves to be expressed. :-)

168. gunnern5 says:

The RICHES of the aged.

We have SILVER in our hair
    We have GOLD in our teeth
    We have STONES in our kidney’s
    We have LEAD in our feet
    We are loaded with GAS…………………..

Redders
    I’ve often thought we just bolt together a few of your comments on any given day to make an excellent and entertaining post.

In fact I suspect that’s what Rasper is up to when your comments occasionally go into moderation for no obvious reason. But you always catch him out… :)

Personally, I would love to read one of your pieces again. No-one else on AA writes like you (and yes, that is a compliment! :) )

170. Red Arse says:

26,

My buggest bugbear is lawyers trying to change the course of the English language. :-)

Oxlarva Caterpillar indeed, Rocky. :-)

171. Herb'sArmy says:

Whole-heartedly agree with your last paragraph RL.
    26 – I think Vilas-Boas is initiating his own quiet revolution at Chelsea, and if they don’t win either of the big two, they’ll go close.
    Painful watching for us Arsenal fans at the moment.

172. Red Arse says:

OK, 26,

That is clearly a heartfelt lament at 5:31. :-(

What is/are your solution(s) to the problems you have outlined?

Knowing you, I am sure you have suggestions about how we should address the problems, other than the prosaic remedy of throwing barrels of non existent money at buying new players, or to simply give up and accept mediocrity.

I did mention last week, that even if the FPP rules start to bite, and again I am sceptical, the only way to get on an even par with the big spending teams (other than the obvious solution of improving our commercial income streams) would be to put the squeeze on the innocent Emirates attending fans, which could quickly become counter-productive.

I do know one thing that you are against is to let Usmanov (or someone else) introduce money into the club via an increase in the Share Capital of the holding company, (which would also let more fans buy shares too) and I too would worry about the precedent this would set.

I am agog to hear your views.

173. Red Arse says:

Darn it, I was supposed to be doing something else an hour ago.

Now, where is that Gooner Lost in Dooflung? Maybe he can stop whizzing around in his time machine for a millisecond, and help me out!! :-)

Nite all! :-)

174. Herb'sArmy says:

Take it easy RA.
    After doing your best to discredit and play down Chapman’s legacy and over-all influence at Arsenal, the other day, I’d like to see your views on how to fix our predicament as well, 26.

175. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Where`s redders gone?
    I`ve been looking everywhere in Dooflung for him!
    Nite, be carefull not to wake up with a Vergeltungswaffe zwei up your Jacksie! :)

176. 26may1989 says:

“Agog”? Blimey, I don’t think I can live up to those expectations!

Very few solutions from me. FFP will be a good thing and will help IF it is enforced – I think Platini (much maligned, but not by me) will do his best to enforce those rules, and I do think the so-called sponsorship deals at City will be shot down (the FFP rules do give enough scope to attack them).

But City’s gargantuan youth development plans, which fall outside FFP, make me think they’ll dominate the recruitment of young talent soon, and the silverware-chasing fans who once flocked to United, Chelsea and (let’s face it) us will all be wearing sky blue in a few years. And hey presto, a super club is created.

So FFP, yes, a good thing. But enough to save us? No, I don’t think so. And neither will seismic shifts in the economy – that will weed out the domestic competition, but it’d do nothing to check what the emirs of Abu Dhabi are doing.

Go sugar daddy ourselves? Not for me, I’d hate it, but truth be told, it’s the most likely way to get us back to the top. Just without my involvement, I’d hand my season ticket in.

So, without sugar daddy zillions, it’ll be Europa League mediocrity until the mother****ers who are destroying the game I love with their money disappear.

Told you I was depressed! But then perhaps I’ll just learn to enjoy watching my team attempt to finish in the top six and be happy with it – bit like my early days in the late 1970s supporting the Greatest Football Team the World Has Ever Seen.

177. Gooner in Exile says:

A fine debate as always today now the important question.

Anyone got a spare for Wednesday? Or shall I buy tonight from the club?

178. 26may1989 says:

By the way, a quote from Darren Dein, van Persie’s new agent and the same agent who of course got Henry, Adebayor, Clichy and Fabregas out of the club, about the possibility of van Persie leaving: “He wants to be at a big club”. This is second-hand info (taken from someone who knows Dein Jr), so could be wrong. It also doesn’t necessarily mean van Persie is trying to leave. But I think it’s meaningful that van Persie would recruit as his agent the person who’s virtually built a career on extracting our talent.

A big, big few months ahead of Arsenal.

179. Red Arse says:

Just back for a second to say thanks for that 26. No easy solution in sight, especially with AW coming to the Autumn of his wonderful career. :-(

Still hope springs eternal, as they say.

GLIC, your alter ego has already helped me out thanx ….. it’s just 6:17 p.m. here :-)

180. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Time will tell, 26,
    In three years time, all the Income, outgoings,wages,transfers etc will be calculated, and if UEFA have the dogs do da`s, it will be interesting to say the least, what they do to the likes of City, they are the Anti-Christ of Football in my eye`s, worse than Completely,Useless,Nonsensical,Tottenham supporters(C,U,N,Ts).

181. 26may1989 says:

All agreed Cornwall and RA!

OK, I’m off, have a good eve one and all.

182. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Jack out for 4 to 5 month`s. Please Arsene, just one “super quality” in January, please ,pretty please!.

183. Carlito11 says:

Cracking post Rocky- I think RvP has the right character at times but I’m still in the “strikers don’t make the best captains” camp and RvP will have to go far beyond the call of duty to change my opinion on that. Still, the optimistic note stirred me and as I read down the comments enjoyed the laughs until 26M brought me thudding back to earth. :-( If it were mere moroseness I would shrug it off but it is well reasoned, heartfelt and likely to be true. On the bright side, forewarned is forearmed!

184. gunnern5 says:

Moral of a porcupine.

Learn to live with the pricks in your life……………

185. London says:

To me, one of the most depressing topics in blog world is the idea that the club could have and should have handled the Fabregas departure better than they did.
    It is particularly depressing to read such criticisms on this site, where, as has been mentioned, many have been involved in management in one way or another and really should have a better understanding than most.

Of all the emotional nonsense that is spouted, there are a few facts in the affair: Laporta the outgoing president did offer 35 million for Fabregas, this was turned down and Cesc stayed one more season. Ramsey, the heir apparent, was not fit enough and Wilshere had not fully broken into the first team — Rosicky, Diaby — do I need to explain.

The season comes to an end, Barça have a new president and the club re-offer 35 million. Now tell me, bearing in mind that Fabregas is worth 60mil in today’s market what else could or should Arsenal have done apart from turn the offer down in the hope that Barça would improve it?

Barça made two public announcements: firstly, they felt that due to Fabregas’s continued injuries his value had gone down rather than up and secondly that they were prepared to wait until the final day of the transfer window – posturing, no more no less.

A classic Mexican stand off ensued but as time went on it became clearer and clearer that Barça were not going to budge and why should they have done, it was never a certainty but who would have bet that Cesc would have gone to any other club. The clock was ticking; the pressure was on as it was becoming fairly obvious that if Barça took the negotiation to the last day then Wenger would not have time to find replacements. Arsenal had to bring things to a head and the only face saving option was for the board to try to improve the back end; we have heard rumours that the fee will go up if Barça win the xyz.

So now we come to the accusations:

As Fabregas still had four years on his contract the club should have insisted that he stayed? This is totally impractical, Fabregas would have been moping around right now causing all sorts of discontent, the result of which may well have been that we found ourselves in deeper trouble than we have already been in; the sad reality is that he had to be allowed to go.

The club were “almost” certain that Fabregas was going to leave and therefore should have brought in replacements earlier. No more obvious signal could have been sent to Barça than we would sell Fabregas than to have attempted to buy a replacement before their deal was completed. We can’t have our cake and eat this one, either the club were wrong to have tried to get as much as they could for him or they should have taken the 35 mil earlier than they did and just hoped that someone would be interested in coming to Arsenal and please don’t say that players should be honoured to play for us — Nasri wasn’t.

Arsenal chose to try and get as much as they could for Fabregas and rightly so because for all the snidy little anti Arsenal comments we have to suffer now we would never have heard the last of the criticism had the club sold him for 35 mil shortly after the window opened – you can hear it now? What, you sell a 60 mil player for 35 without even waiting to see if Barcelona will improve their offer.

Having said all this I know that certain people will still say that, of course, the club should have done better but cries like that come from people using hindsight and as any right minded person knows, if we were able to use that we would all have been the best manager in the world.

GIE,

All of our tickets are taken.

Euphoria, flippin heck, if this is euphoria, the whole world’s upside down.

Can anyone remember what BlueValentine’s blog is called?
    I fancied catching up with how the Citeh supporters are dealing with their petrodoped rise to the top.

188. I’ll check for you chas – back in a minute

Bendtner, “the first touch was exquisite” !

Thanks peaches. I couldn’t even remember when he was posting on here.

191. London says:

Chas

Look up the date of the last Citeh game and then just scroll back on AA.

You’re right, London.

Stop looking peaches, I’m just being lazy.

193. Blimey, that took forever, here it is chas

Thanks peaches.

195. It was actually the post on the 3rd Jan which was a Rocky post that brought a lot of mancs onto the site

196. I’ve just noticed that we don’t have a post for tomorrow if anyone has an idea that they’d like to send in ………………..

Whoops.

That was the hastily written post where I said something about the new owners not investing any money into the local community. Got that one a bit wrong.

But the rest of my criticisms of Citeh were on the money (no pun intended).

And it did flush out a couple of decent City fans who stayed around for a few days.

Chas – if you get hold of BlueVal why don’t you invite him to pop back for a chat.

London. Thanks for the rationale behind the Fabregas deal. Given that Arsenal have maximised so may transfer deals (Anelka, Overmars, Kolo, Adebayor, Na$ri etc etc) it defies belief that so many fans think we didn’t get the best possible fee available.

Some superb comments today.

Watching Sunderland and poor Nik hasn’t had a single decent pass in 70 mins – they are truly awful.

Bendtner just missed an open goal from 4 yards.
    You can write a book about it London but IMO the cesc situation was handled very badly and he didn’t come out of it with his head held high,at least to most Arsenal fans.

200. 26may1989 says:

OK, I was thinking about it while I cycled home, and I’ve come up with some of the solutions RA wanted to the City problem:

1. Start up a fund for all non-City, non-Chelsea fans so that we can collectively invest in renewable energy R&D. Make oil worthless, that’s got to be a runner.

2. Introduce His Highness Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan to Liam Gallagher. The funding should be cancelled within 10 minutes of the first introduction.

3. Ferment civil conflict across the Arab world – oh, done already you say?

4. Get football fans across Europe to stop going to football until the game becomes so completely uninteresting that it is useless as a vehicle for ego maniac sheikhs. The footballing equivalent of a dirty protest.

Who says I’m not a solutions man?

201. London says:

Kelsey

It is very rare that a player who leaves for a rival club is thought of well by the supporters of the departing club but as transfers go I think Fabregas, who has only ever shown gratitude for the opportunity that Arsenal gave him, can hold his head up high.

We view Arsenal in fundamentally different ways you seem to love finding a rumour to spread about something that has gone wrong at the club, today’s was Barcelona offered more for Cesc in Febuary or some such thing, without explanation this sounds totally ridiculous to me, I on the other hand find the kind of anti Arsenal muck racking that Le Grove are so good at absolutely deplorable…………I guess we are just different.

202. gunnern5 says:

Bendtner is a goal scoring machine.

Just ask him………………

203. gunnern5 says:

Kelsey,

Barcelona must have thought it was a SAFE GRAB………

Gn5
    I’m sure you know this one: what’s the difference between a porcupine and a coach load of Spud supporters?

London,

I have been consistent with my posting about barca offering more for 6 months not just today, check my history.

What other so called rumours have i spread out of interest.? yes we certainly have different opinions.
    I dispute that it was a rumour as you and others well know and please don’t regard me as anti Arsenal muck racking such as le grove.

if you think I just come on here to spread rumours that’s your opinion, and quite frankly not for the first time i don’t like the tone of your post to me. Think what you like but is there really a need to make your point the way you did.

if you think everything is rosy at the club and we will carry all before us so be it, I don’t. I am entitled to my opinion as much as you, but once bitten twice shy with you i am afraid.

206. gunnern5 says:

Yep they are on the inside……………

207. TotalArsenal says:

Peaches, hi, you still should a post of mine (which I emailed you last week). Happy to email it again, unless you don’t think it is suitable.

208. 26may1989 says:

London

I agree with most of what you say about the Cesc sale; as you say, it wasn’t an easy situation to manage and much was beyond the club’s control. It’s the rest of the summer business that aggravated me, the bits they could have influenced.

It’s a matter of public record that we had money in the transfer account at the beginning of the summer, and especially because the Cesc situation was going to be a drawn-out experience (whatever the outcome), that money could and should have been used early on to bring in proper signings that were needed in defence and attack. Paying premium prices to get the business done early, rather than always seeking to nickel and dime every deal, would have fortified the squad and created the right mood, and so it was a price worth paying.

None of that would have changed the Cesc sale, and I reckon with hindsight (I didn’t think it at the time) that we were always going to lose Nasri, but our chances of starting the season in healthy shape would have been considerably improved.

As for Arsenal fans’ views of Cesc, yes, I agree again, he will be viewed positively by most, me included. I have no doubt that he played a part in forcing the move by making it clear this was the time for him to return home, come what may. But he resisted the pressure Barca no doubt applied for him to do it publicly, which would have eroded Arsenal’s negotiating position. He’s not bad-mouthed the club since he left, and (if I understand the transfer deal properly) he also part-funded the transfer price by waiving payments he was entitled to. I won’t be slagging him off, and I’m pleased he’s enjoying his new chapter.

209. Gooner in Exile says:

Ok got my ticket for Wednesday night Clock End Upper. Should be fun. Hopefully will get to the Tavern for a bevvy. Is it far enough away for UEFA? I haven’t been to a European night for ages, last time was sitting in the Highbury North Bank Upper right at the back for a ECWC game. Remember my Dad brought a Canadian business colleague who was excited that he heard 1-0 to the Arsenal despite the game ending 1-1 I think….memory a bit hazy of that night. I think that was his first game but I understand he goes pretty regular since moving to London.

Excited already …… I love that crowd numbers have dropped and I can get tickets this easily….every cloud, silver lining, jumpers for goalposts. Oh yes.

210. SharkeySure says:

Rocky fantastic…I’m just gonna c+p Oz G’s comment:
    “one of the best articles ive ever read rocky well done. pleasure to read in every facet.”

I absolutely loved that moment from Sat’s match, and to read a post that damn good all about it…brilliant.

Only downside is not reading it til 11pm. I feel like a right div just now !!

Thanks Sharkey. Very much appreciated.

Peaches
    I’ve slipped in a quick one :)
    You probably didn’t even notice…

Morning all.

London as you didn’t reply I feel I am justified in having the final word on your accusations.

A few months ago you said something to the effect about Denilson having a Star of David on his football shirt and I and at least four other regulars on here thought it was in bad taste or even anti semetic. One of the authors told me having met you that you didn’t mean the way I had intrpreted your remark, and a few days later I sent you an e mail to apologise (the author can verify that) as I had given you the benefit of the doubt, but of course you didn’t reply.

We are a good bunch of people on here and as you well know we always try to be polite to one another even if we have differing views, otherwise a civiliseddebate
    You were completely out of order in your assumptions about me last night and you at the least shouldn’t have gone public with your slant on me .Think what you like but that was below the belt. I know this will fall on deaf ears,but i have just as much right as you to express my opinions on here without being resorting to being rude, or have i misunderstood you yet again.

Morning all,

Rocky,
    a google answer to your question of a while back

A ‘logger-head’ was literally a ‘block-head’. A logger was a thick block of timber which was fastened to a horse’s leg to prevent it from running away. In the 17th century, a loggerhead was also recorded as ‘an iron instrument with a long handle used for melting pitch and for heating liquids’. It is likely that the use of these tools as weapons was what was being referred to when rivals were first said to be ‘at loggerheads’.

Shakespeare used it in Love’s Labours Lost, 1588:
    “Ah you whoreson logger-head, you were borne to doe me shame.”

215. kelsey and London

Loving you both as I do I have to say that you are each entitled to your differing opinions on all things Arsenal but that I would prefer it if you didn’t take swipes at each other in such a personal manner.

Having realistic thoughts about where our club is at the moment and how we got here and wearing the rose-tinted glasses are positions that many supporters find themselves in at the moment.

‘Forward’ is the motto for this season, I feel there’ll be steps forward and backwards as this team grow into each other.

Hopefully the mistakes that were made behind the scenes this summer will be rectified for the future and the club can move forward too.

peaches,

I defended the swipe aimed at me, what should i have done just ignored it ? so I had every right to do so, so don’t blame me

As i said in my post if kept private, no one would be the wiser..Anyway the matter is closed as far as i am concerned.

Morning kelsey,

Your ‘inside info’ has been spot on all summer and I respect the fact that you are honourable and do not betray a confidence by disclosing your source – please keep the titbits coming :P

London’s choice to always be optimistic must be admired even if he has had to devour a full Arsenal kit as a consequence! It’s a hard time to be a gooner and the tension is already mounting over the spud game – the CL has almost seemed insignificant.

The polar opinions on the site are part of healthy debate, and no-one should take it personally.

New post …….

219. Dandan says:

Peaches |Have just tried your number for the umpteenth time, no answer just a full mail box., so will give up . Have emailed you my number, if you want to call, am out all day from !0 Oclock. Regards Dandan

220. How Many Are There Left…

[...]At Last: A Real Captain for Arsenal « Arsenal Arsenal[...]…