Ox-tale super

Having missed the opportunity to ensnare London or 26may to write a match report I’m shamelessly using their comments from after the game and adding a few of my own.

Like many I was looking forward to seeing Oxlade-Chamberlain, Park and Ryo in addition to other well-known young guns show off their silky skills. Micky had been banging on about giving Mert and Kos some more playing time together which I also felt was a good idea but clearly Arsène didn’t as he started with Miguel and Djourou – as captain – as the centre-back pairing.

The joy of Carling Cup teams in the past has partly been the surprise at how well a team of youngsters were able to perform in front of an Emirates crowd. I was there the night Nik and Carlos set the pitch alight with their fabulous link up play that put Sheffield United to the sword in the same round in 2008 but I quickly realised that most of this team hadn’t had very much playing time together and so the frailties of the first team were also in evidence.

On reflection, AW missed a good opportunity to bed Mertesacker and Koscielny as a partnership before the coming fixtures. I was disappointed that Djourou was leaden footed for the Shrewsbury goal, he didn’t even jump and needs more time to get his head back together before getting in the first team. I’m willing to listen to other’s thoughts of what Chamakh brought to the team last night, he looked out of his depth to me and if he’s our answer to when van Persie next gets an injury we’re in trouble.

London’s post match comment

Ladies and gentleman

Be in no doubt, we have another star in the wings, Oxo was excitement personified. Not ready for a starting place in the first team but will be making more and more cameo performances as the season progresses. Theo can learn a lot from this young man, yes that is right. The Ox’s ability to operate in tight corners and create chances for others is second to no one in the UK that I can think of right now, there is an Argentinean dwarf overseas but we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

Other thoughts: Park is nowhere near ready for first team duty neither is Ryo but we probably all knew that one already.

Chamakh got better as the game went on but he was pants to begin with; nevertheless, I still say he has a role to play at the end of a game when we need to change to 4.4.2 in order to add more aerial threat in an attempt to get a winner or such like.

Benayoun: will someone give that man a decent meal, his mother’s chicken soup is just not doing the trick, feed the poor boy. Still, he did just fine tonight, I like the way he puts serious pressure on Ramsey for a first team place.

Gibbs was good, Jenkinson is getting better although just how far he can go, I am not so sure. Frimpong was calmer which I liked.

Djourou arrived on a horse wearing a ten gallon hat and proceeded to give a cowboy performance at defending.

By contrast Miguel was as slick as a cat on Vaseline.

Oh well, that was the best £20 I have spent in a while, naturally I joined in whole heartedly in singing:

One Arsene Wenger, there’s only one Arsene Wenger.

Trolls be gone lol

Post match comments from 26may1989

On the train home, I was thinking about what I take from this evening’s game. The fact that London has already covered many of the points I wanted to make in his 10:47pm post (darn you, London), isn’t going to get in my way.

What I learnt:

1. A 40,000 crowd at the Emeratess isn’t so bad after all, especially when so few of the whiners from the regulars aren’t there. The atmosphere was surprisingly supportive – no-one was impressed when Djourou gifted a goal to a side three divisions below us, but there wasn’t any panic and the fans remained pretty supportive.

2. Oxlade-Chamberlain is tops; both in terms of quality and appetite. Shooting, dribbling, crossing and passing, all were on display tonight. If anyone can’t see the potential in this player, their comments don’t deserve to be taken seriously. He oozes class, and £12m already looks like a bargain price to me, even before he’s faced top level opposition.

3. Coquelin’s distribution was a bit wayward at points but he grew into the game and was fantastic by the second half.

4. Miquel was tremendous.

5. Djourou is still very much in the doldrums with zero confidence.  Sorry, but he needs to be kept away from the first team.

6. Gibbs had a  good and very mature game – he was willing to take on leadership in a very young side.

7. Park was worryingly nervous for much of the fist half but with one Henry-esque cut-in and shot he found himself and did much better after that.

8. Ozyakup was a slick sub – his passing game was very nice.

9. Wenger is determined not to be shaken by the current crisis – he could have played a senior side tonight, but he stuck to his (young) guns instead.

10. The team out tonight, like the first team at Ewood Park, began the game not knowing each other very well. We’re in pre-season and the Wenger Out brigade would do well to bear that in mind. Sack in haste, repent at leisure.

11. Shrewsbury were dangerous for much of the first half, and could (should?) have scored another goal. They may not be a fashionable side, but there’s quality there, especially the two CBs. But they used up so much of their energy that they began to tire before half-time. Their keeper did help us though.

All in all, this evening was more positive than it was negative. Before the game, I would have said the same as Sharkey, that conceding even one goal and not absolutely slaughtering such lowly opposition would mean the evening would be a failure. But the youngsters out there this evening played the second half with a refreshing level of enjoyment and desire – it might have only finished 3-1 but it was still a pretty good performance from the kids and their minders.

It was a lovely prematch this evening, meeting up with Peaches, Evonne and Micky was great. Bit disconcerting being at The Tavern for prematch drinks and being able to get served at the bar immediately.

162 Responses to Ox-tale super

1. pat says:

snap! Good post – hey why not leverage off those posts – very informative guys. So would it be second half of season that we will see more of the ox in the first team?

Shame to hear that DJ was having trouble again – there was that period mid last season where he was starting to find his feet but now cant put a foot right!

Oh well a wins a win and now we can say to spuds that we are still in all comps :-)

2. Dandan says:

Good saving post well done Peaches.

As an armchair fan last night listening to Arsenal Player, it was good to hear the crowd singing AW’s praises loud and clear.

An attendance of 46k is an interesting figure being a larger crowd than we were able to accommodate on big nights at Highbury, yet still the Mirror chose to headline with a picture of empty seats to illustrate the poor attendance. Given it was the biggest crowd of the night it just shows how the knives are out for us.

But we won, the spuds didn’t and we still have four trophies to play for. :-)

The answer obviously lies in the chicken soup.It’s what you put in it that really counts :)

I hate to say it but Fab was a bit jumpy last season now he is a nervous wreck, the Porto game really mentally got to him and he is 5 years older than the wonder Pole.

When I saw Djourou play for Switzerland against England in the early Summer I thought how bad he has become and unfortunately he appears to have got worse. I am not doing “a denilson” on him but he really is playing badly and needs dropping completely.

otherwise i have already given a summary of the highlights earlier today.

Look at the attendences in general involving PL clubs.7000 at Wolves, so 46000 wasn’t a bad turn out.

Now for Bolton a totally different kettle of fish.

NB: Wenger said last night he wants to stay another 14 years and with Gazidis also giving him the backing at an appropriate time, watch this space.

The Bolton game is huge for a number of reasons.

Morning,

Thanks for the insight peaches, London and 26m. I had intended to be at the game but a bout of food poisoning that left me yodeling down the big white telephone half the night put paid to that ambition.

The game has met with a mixed reception with the obvious boost of seeing the enormous potential of the ox. Those who were there tell me that Chamakh was woeful again, calling for the ball as if he was in a position for an easy tap in and then passing it straight back and running off at a tangent – he doesn’t even have the slightest inclination to try to turn a defender and get a shot off. What he does well is attack the box for headers and so I see him solely as a sub when we need a ‘plan B goal’.

peaches alerted me to how good le Coq is when he joined a couple of years ago. I had worried that he might be sold but hopefully he’ll continue to get his chances as he is more level headed than Song and Frimpong but equally busy in midfield.

Danny,

I happen to know Alex Flynn he is a spurs fanatic.brought up in Cricklewich he holds no clout.

Rasp “peaches alerted me to how good le Coq is”

please this is a family site :)

7. Grepppo says:

Was at the game last night, Miquel, Ox and Coq looked good, Coq was my man of the match. Although Ox got the standing ovation when he was substituted.

Ox and Jenkinson overlapped well, Chamakh and Frimpong were a bit anonymous.

Djourou and Fab were fairly awful and Shrewsbury could easily have ben 3 up, and they attacked well and in numbers, whereas we didn’t seem to be arsed esp in the first half.

There was a general feeling of fear whenever the Swiss had the ball, although to be fair he was winning more headers by the end of the match.

Somebody obviously told Benayoun at half time that constantly playing the ball sideways in front of the penalty area does not make for an effective attacking team.

Rasp. As kelsey pointed out .. 10.47. Had me laughing :-D

First game for Park and I have only seen the highlights. How is his control?

9. pat says:

I wonder why is it that we never see Chamakh try and beat a player – a confidence thing perhaps? You see enough players try and fail but he doesn’t really try…

10. evonne says:

Peaches – well done, great read!

Why hasn’t anybody mentioned Yossi Benayoun?? He was SOOOO good last night! Worked his socks off, guided others, scored a good goal.

Little Ox (both Peaches and I expected someone considerably bigger) was tremendous, agreed, but Yossi was the man of the match for me.

11. evonne says:

Pat – he was pathetic, sleep walking, not in tune with anybody else on the pitch. Every time he was a bit too far or a bit too close to the ball, no ‘feel’ of the game.

He was gesturing at others to place the ball at his feet! What, he cannot run to meet it? No, no, no. He is not part of that team, defo. Detached is the word I was looking for

12. 26may1989 says:

Morning all. Well done Peaches for recycling the late night comments and adding your very fine observations.

People will choose how to interpret a game like last night’s: one can look on it as another mark of failure and stress; or one can see it as the kids and squad players throwing off the blanket of self-doubt and getting down to the simple business of enjoying playing football again.

While accepting that there was some negative stuff there last night, I honestly feel it should be viewed as a positive experience, with some very fine indications for the future in Ox-Chamb, Coquelin and Miquel, plus some good stuff from Benayoun and Gibbs. The only real downside came from Djourou, but even that’s a good thing if it keeps him away from first team action.

Those who were at the game last night came away feeling positive about it, even if it was just 3-1 over lower division oppo that we might have wanted to post a cricket score against. My guess is those Gooners who criticise last night will not have watched the 90 minutes and will already have their minds made up about what should be happening at the club.

As Kelsey says, Bolton up next, and another make or break match (at least that’s how it will be presented).

And Rasp, was sorry not to see you last night – I hope you’ve made a full recovery from that yodelling!

13. goonermichael says:

I thought the match was a generally positive experience. JD was woeful though.

14. Red Arse says:

OK, I have thought about it ………. dah dum!!

I enjoyed watching the game. I loved the cut and thrust. I know it was a lower league team etc, but so what?

There were some sterling performances, and one or two not so good, but that is life, that is football.

OK the tricky bit.

Other blogs, the media, and so on and so forth have castigated our defence again, and frankly are boring the arse off me.

I watched the defence formation and individual players as carefully as I could, and, after deliberation, I believe things are NOT as bad as everyone is making out. I have certainly seen worse!

We had defenders bodies in the right places, the defence and midfield seemed cohesive, blah blah, so what is the problem?

Well the thing is ……. I don’t know! I feel exposed (metaphorically) at being, apparently, the only one prepared to admit this, but it is true ………. I simply do not know what is wrong

There are many out there who will tell me they do know …. but I do not understand how so many ‘experts’ can have so many different explanations for our ‘defensive problems’ and yet for all of them to be so certain they are right. That’s simply not possible, is it?

I will hazard a guess. OK! ……. I admit it is just a guess.

So …. It seems to me that this ‘problem’ has little to do with the lack of coaching, and more to do with the fears and concerns of the fans, together with the ill intentioned musings of the media, which have struck home with our players, and is rapidly becoming a self perpetuating, and self defeating belief that they (our defence) are rubbish.

Isn’t it more likely that it is simply a lack of confidence?

Any working person knows that being praised or thanked for doing your job, the best you can, makes you feel good, and even if your work, at the time, was perhaps not of the highest quality, praise makes you want to strive to do better, and eventually you will do better, just to please the praiser?

We all need to stop criticising, and to start praising, even one good tackle, one good pass, one good interception and suddenly it will all start to come good!

You catch many more errant CBs with a spoonful of honey than you do with a barrel of vinegar.

Yeah, I know ….. I didn’t understand that last sentence myself!! :-)

Minor rant over, and all that is left to say, Rasper, is that I am pleased with that ‘little and large’ picture, (above right), of you and I in our Arsenal kits. You were wearing something weren’t you? :-)

15. goonermichael says:

Did anyone hear any booing? I didn’t but in another match report they say there was.

Good post Peaches

I was at the game last night and am obviously excited by the OX. I realy do beleive that in a year or two, Wilshere, OX, and Walcott (playing up front) wiil be fantastic (we just have to find a way of keeping them). I anticipate us been the best team in Europe once the youngsters mature. (the minor blips we are having now will all pale into insignificance.)

One last thing, when we do dominate Europe, Arsene Wenger should be made a peer of the realm (even though hes French).

17. 26may1989 says:

I agree with the Gigantic Accountant @ 12:00 – so many of our problems right now are the result of expectations of failure from us, the fans. Which is why it was so nice to have a mood-change last night, in terms of both the fans and the players.

GM: There was a tiny amount of booing at half-time last night, but it was only a few people and quickly died away – in fact, those applauding the team off for the break, despite then being 1-1 with a League 2 side, were louder than the boo-boys.

The regulars at the Ems could learn a lot from the fans who turned out last night.

18. pat says:

thanks evonne – but doesnt leave me feeling happier. Another player that has had a good run of form and “lost it”.

RA I think you are definately on to something – the problems are definately more mental than physical. Fear of failure? I enjoy playing football, but playing in front of 50,60,70 000 people is bound to change things slightly :-)

19. pat says:

Reading Yossis past he does have a penchant for goals at vital times. He could be our dark horse this season.

I guess these guys are just going to have to be benched that are not cutting it and try someone else.

Thanks for the match report, peaches.

RA,
    Confidence must play a huge part in a footballer’s life. We need to find some of that ‘unbelievable belief’ that Paul Merson said was installed at Arsenal when AW arrived.

Saw this elsewhere and thought it was worth sharing for those that haven’t seen it even though it’s from a while back. Le Coq seems a very likeable young man.

21. Fatgingergooner says:

RA,

I tend to agree that confidence is the thing that is killing certain players at the moment. Take Liverpool last year, for 4 months they couldn’t buy a decent performance. Players like Glen Johnson, Carragher etc were looking awful, but they don’t become poor players overnight.

Some footballers are what’s called ‘confidence players’. They need to be praised and they need to do something well early in a game to get the confidence to play well. I know this because I am one myself! If I have played well the week before or do something really positive early in a game then 8/10 I will play really well. If I make a mistake early or I’m not on the best run of form then I find it very difficult to turn that around. Now if you imagine that sort of attitude being taken in front of 60,000 people, then it’s not good! Players like Szscesny, RvP, Song, Wilshire etc ooze self confidence. I mean Szscesny let in 8 against United then played a blinder for Poland against Germany. RvP went on to score 4 for the Dutch.

People like Djourou, Chamakh, Denilson are all players that need to be playing regularly and in a confident atmosphere to thrive. Unfortunately for Arsene and for Arsenal, the only way to get rid of this self doubt is to play through it. If the team starts to play well and they are part of that then confidence will return and they will look like quality players again.

22. TotalArsenal says:

RA, a very fine comment of yours @12.00, especially:

‘Isn’t it more likely that it is simply a lack of confidence?
    A fear that whatever they do, they will get it wrong because they are beginning to believe they are rubbish and will be chastised for that failure?’

Let’s just add it all up Johan Djourou: lack of form + lack of confidence + constant media cover of his every mistake + generally disgruntled fans who are looking for somebody to aim their frustrations at + a home game against a team who have nothing to lose + 46,000 home fans who are worrying about you = a high potential for failure – and it only takes one mistake! And, as the saying goes, confidence is lost very quickly, but regained very slowly, and a CB without confidence i

23. TotalArsenal says:

and a CB without confidence is a dead man walking.

24. Red Arse says:

Hi Chas, :-)

That was a very interesting video. Thank you.

I thought Le Coq, as Rasper likes to say, was, next to Jack and JET, the pick of the youth team, and was horrified when he was shipped out on loan, and Eastmond (sorry, but I did not rate him) seemed to leap frog him into the first team squad.

Afternoon all, especially you Peacher. :-)

That was a clever knock off of a Post quoting the post match appraisals of London and 26 and garnished by your goodself. I liked it! :-)

25. DM says:

“Benayoun: …his mother’s chicken soup is just not doing the trick”

I’m Jewish and I enjoyed that :)

26. Clearly he just needs more kneidlach ……………

27. Danny says:

Why is his nickname “Benny”? Surely it should be “Joey”?

Thanks for the Coquelin vid Chas. I’m really impressed with the lad. He even had a good game in the 8-2 (it was only 3-1 when he was inexplicably taken off).

However, I can’t bring myself to call him Le Coq. Not because it conjures up images of Rasp’s todger, but because it makes me think of the knuckle-staggers from down the road.

So I shall refer to him as Cockle from now on.

Redders – great comment.

29. Red Arse says:

Hi Rocky, :-)

You’ve convinced me. Your evocative “images of Rasp’s todger” made me cough up my lunchtime chicken soup”! Cockle it will be then!! :-)

30. gooner lost in cornwall says:

Afternoon All,
    My favourite from last night. After about 30 mins of first half, we had a corner, they broke quickly and Coguelin sprinted (take note Denilson) back and made a brilliant interception,superb.

RA,
    Hope your soup is heartier than Yossi’s mum’s.

Had to look up kneidlach. I just fancy some Jewish dumplings, too.

Is Rasp’s todger French?

32. DM says:

peaches – LOL :) are you of faith too, or just knowledgeable in random soup ingredients..

33. DM says:

meant to say of my** faith.. last thing I want to do is spout a religious battle.. lol

Ah Nigella has arrived, i thought you only came out at night like meatloaf ;)

Redders :D

Thanks Kelsey
    Just watched the highlights.
    A few things…
    Chamakh was unlucky not to have two goals in the first five minutes.
    Djourou was directly responsible for the Shrews chance that hit the post shortly before their goal (for which he was also the main culprit).
    Fab2 was poor. Chesney would have attacked the cross that led to the goal. Fab also looked shaky every time the ball got near his goal.
    Park looked a bit lost but showed some good skills in flashes.
    Ox-Pot is a handful (one goal and one assist – not bad at all!).
    We were shooting from distance a lot (which was a refreshing change).
    Coquelin made a few errors but, as was mentioned above, he gave a lesson in tracking back and showed some excellent long and short passing (unlucky that his cutback for Chamakh did not end up being a goal assist).
    We put in some very good crosses – notably from Jenkinson (who looked good overall) and OxPot.

37. 26may1989 says:

DM, peaches is very knowledgeable but you guessed right, she is indeed a woman of the book.

Has anyone worked out who our last Jewish player was? I’m assuming Yossi isn’t our first.

Elijah Eboue :)

Spurs had ronnie rosenthall

QPR had mark lazarus

Liverpool what’s his name was it avi cohen

us, can’t think of any.

er…
    Manny Petit
    Manny Eboue
    Manny Adebayor
    Manny Frimpong
    Manny Almunia

and…
    Gilberto Silver :)

40. DM says:

^ Gilberto Silver hehehe

41. Red Arse says:

Rocky, :-)

Hi 26, I read an account recently of a journalist who was kidnapped recently in Libya by tribesmen loyal to Gadaffi.

They eventually released him when he told them in mitigation, among other things, that he was a devout Christian. They no doubt had a number of reasons for releasing him, but one of them was because they referred to him as being “of the book”.

I had never previously heard the term, but I presume it includes the Muslim, Jewish and Christian religions by deduction, if the story I read was accurate.

Interesting.

42. Red Arse says:

I cheated by looking up Wiki, for any Jewish Arsenal players, and there does not seem to have been any, other than Yossi.

43. Red Arse says:

There must be at least 150 Jackdaws who have descended into the oak tree at the bottom of my garden, all jockeying for position, all squabbling, all calling abuse at each other; but obviously very much ‘family'; puts me in mind of loyalist and dissident Arsenal fans. :-)

Redders
    from wiki: “Czech superstition formerly held that if jackdaws are seen quarrelling, war will follow…”

Oh dear.

But maybe it just means there will be war in the Czech Republic. Sorry Tomas – don’t blame me, blame Redders.

In an alternative to ‘the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog’, ‘jackdaws love my big sphinx of quartz’ also includes all of the letters of the alphabet.

Any news on moshea sagna’s injury.

47. Red Arse says:

Well blow me down and call me Maybelle, just as I read your Jackdaw aphorism, Rocky, the whole gang of them buggered off and are probably on their way to the Czech Republic as I write.

And, yes, I have often found my big sphinx quartz well loved too – did not know about you and the Jackdaws’ fetish tho’.

You are a man of intriguing tastes, Oh Rocky one! :-)

Love a bit of bird lore Redders…

49. Danny says:

I can think of only 3 British Jews who have played in the league. One was a bloke called Mark Lazarus who scored the winner in the League cup final back in 1967 for QPR.. Man City had a player called Barry Silkman. The 3rd played last night for Shrewsbury! – Joe Jacobson. George Cohen who played in the ’66 world cup winning team is a bit jewish – what ever that means. Basically British jews don’t go in for professional football – so Yossi is Arsenal’s first jewish player.

50. Red Arse says:

Rocky,

Talking about your big sphinx quartz put me in mind of another enduring concern of mine. Did you know that;

“No quasiperfect numbers have been found so far, but if a quasiperfect number did exist, it must be an odd square number greater than 10(35) and have at least seven distinct prime factors”!

Imagine that?

Danny,

Sorry but if you read the comment at 3:31, you will find that Rocky has told us there are 6 others, all of whom played for Arsenal.

51. Stix says:

‘we’re in pre season’….errrrr

I’m glad you raised that one Redders. It troubles me too.

I spend a lot of time looking for quasi perfect numbers. I’ve tried under the bed, down the back of the sofa, in the door pockets of the car, but nothing. Nada.

Stix
    Where do you stand on quasi perfect numbers?

Do you have one?

If so you could make yourself a legend here on AA.

54. Danny says:

As Alf Garnett said “ITV have the Rabbi – Jiimy Hill”!

55. Danny says:

Jimmy Hill – I can’t even type a joke properly…..

56. Stix says:

Has it got anything to do with Quasimodo from Beauty and the Beast?

Danny
    The chinster certainly looked the part.

Stix
    I like you.

59. Stix says:

Oleg Luzhny was Jewish…probably

60. Stix says:

Is theis site for real? Or does the Arsenal circus merely fuel what is clearly a curious bunch?

61. Stix says:

Do they sell Frimpongs in the club shop??

I want one with a button on its foot that will sing me songs when I go to sleep at night.

I’m full of questions.

62. Red Arse says:

Stix,

You ask “is this site for real?” And the only answer I can offer you is that we all have a different reality. We all create our reality every day with our own thoughts.

Maybe this site is only real to you. That must be really scary. Sorry, scrub ‘really’ ……. obviously! :-)

Stix
    This site is full of passionate Arsenal supporters, but the regulars are an eclectic bunch.

All opinions welcome if expressed respectfully.

I like your questions – have you got any more?

Stix
    Regarding Redders 4.51…
    See what I mean?

65. Red Arse says:

Not sure about a button on the Frimpong foot, but I understand the one on his belly squeaks if you squeeze him.

Stix
    Oleg Luzhny wasn’t Jewish, he was a horse.

Unless you can have Jewish horses. Can you?

67. Stix says:

They should definitely manufacture some, based on my design spec – I have the blu-prints at home.

Revenue would rocket through the roof and it would open up marketing opportunities in the middle east.

68. Stix says:

Cristopher Wreh was Jewish

Igor Stepanovs was Jewish

Darren Caskey was Jewish

Justin Edinburgh was a muslim

Adios

Sadly I fear the singing Frimpong will have to go a long way to outsell the Wayne Rooney “Mr Potato Head” toy.

Just another example of how we’re lagging behind in commercial exploitation of our great brand.

70. Red Arse says:

That’s the sad reality, Rocky. :-( Mashed by Mr Potato Head! Is there no end to our tribulations?

By the way, where are all the electric football fans that light up this site?

What do you mean eclectic?

Ciao Stix
    Call again :)

72. neamman says:

Thanks for posting the highlights. All in all not bad considering the circumstances.

73. gunnern5 says:

Bug Bunny was out grocery shopping.
    The shop assistant said ” We have a promotion on and if you can tell me what 19,866 times 10,543 equals, we’ll give you a years supply of carrots.
    Without hesitation he said 209,447,238.
    An astonished sales assistant said “How on earth did you do that”?
    He said “Oh it’s simple – us rabbits are great at multiplying”

Tumbleweed…

Oh – hello Gn5
    Are you ready for the first snowfall?

76. gunnern5 says:

Two owls are in the final of an owls pool competition.
    In the last frame one of the owls wings accidentally touches the ball.
    “That’s two hits” said the first owl.
    “Two hits to who” said the first.

77. gunnern5 says:

I sure hope not, but we are in the middle of a thunder storm right now. When winter starts here in London it stays until April – so lets not talk about it.

Gn5 :)

I noticed last winter that whenever we got snow here in TO, you always had at least twice the depth up your way.

80. gunnern5 says:

Rocky, talking of weather here are the four seasons.

Salt, Pepper, Mustard and Vinegar.

or, down your way, as I suppose it actually is.
    Being so close to two lakes I thought you’d get less snow…
    Shows what I know.

82. gunnern5 says:

That’s right London is in the snow belt –

and we sure get belted…………..

When I lived in LA the locals used to say there were four seasons:

Wildfire Season
    Earthquake Season
    Landslide Season
    Heatwave Season

Any plans for a trip to Toronto any time soon? I’ll buy you lunch!

85. gunnern5 says:

No, the lakes are to far away for us to get the benefit, unlike Toronto.

86. gunnern5 says:

I’m going today to drop my sister in law off at the airport. She’s on her way back to Chester.

I’ve been in the house with the two of them for a month – it’s been surround sound noise!.

87. gunnern5 says:

Q) What is Britains highest military award.

A) Nelson’s column.

88. gunnern5 says:

Q) How is dew formed?

A) When the sun shines on the leaves they perspire.

89. gunnern5 says:

Q) What is a terminal illness?

A) Being sick at the airport…………

Nice

91. gunnern5 says:

Q) What happens when a boy reaches puberty?

A) He says goodbye to boyhood and looks forward to adultery.

92. evonne says:

Hold on a second here. Yossi is an Israeli, it doesn’t automatically mean he is Jewish. He could be a good Catholic like me :) Top guy whatever his religion and I am delighted he is with us

Moshea Sagna ha ha ha

Rocky – why do you think Luzhny was a horse? He wasn’t that bad, not as good as Lauren of course, but not exactly a mare

hello evonne
    It was the song people used to sing about Oleg:
    “Oleg Luzhny is a horse, he’s a horse, he’s a ho-o-orse…” etc

It was meant to be complimentary and referred to his strength and stamina. Well, unless there was anything else about him that I don’t know.

94. evonne says:

Hi Rocky, now I see :)

Fans have already got a little song for little Ox, the same tune that was Na$ri’s but with the finer name for a finer fellow.

There was some, not much booing after we sung ‘There is one Arsene Wenger’.

95. evonne says:

GiE – are you connected again?? I have to tell you how good I was last night, I was not only following your orders but I was constantly nudging those sitting next to me to sing. At one point MickyDidIt looked well cheesed off, sorry Micky

96. goonermichael says:

brighton are playing well

97. evonne says:

GM – what are the results tonight? Anything shocking, apart from Hargreaves scoring for Shitty?

98. goonermichael says:

Nothing wierd yet evonne

99. GiE – I have to tell you that evonne did indeed sing loud and proud at every opportunity :)

evonne – I’m pretty sure that Yossi is one of mine

100. goonermichael says:

gerrard is back. that’s the end of the bindippers revival :)

101. evonne says:

Peaches – you seem to be forgetting that I’m Jewish by association and therefore Yossi is mine :)

GM – have you noticed how Gerrard is always injured around holidays and xmas time? He and Jamie like to spend time with their families

102. goonermichael says:

Yossi must be Jewish with a name like Yossi. Isrealis are quite secular though so he’s probably partial to a bacon sarnie :)

103. goonermichael says:

He probably gets dole money when he’s injured being a scouser evonne

Bindippers just scored against the run of play

104. goonermichael says:

shame. I was enjoying watching the gays

105. goonermichael says:

pen to brighton

106. goonermichael says:

scored it 1 minute left

107. goonermichael says:

Shame I was enjoying that. brighton pass the ball well. Nice stadium too.

108. goonermichael says:

welcome to the goonermicheal comments section. feel free to join in :)

109. 26may1989 says:

Apparently Yossi, along with Paula Abdul and the Saatchis, is Mizrahi, who, like Sephardi Jews, trace their ancestry to the Middle East.

110. 26may1989 says:

Sorry, I forgot to log in as goonermichael, like everyone else has.

111. evonne says:

GM – know how you feel :) how many times I have been blogging with myself in the morning and the only interruption was Rasp’s ‘New post’

My cousin lives in Worthing and he often goes to Brighton games; he absolutely loves it. The new stadium is smallish, about 20k, but it is very modern. I have not heard him or his mates complaining after a game or asking for the manager’s head. They just love footy and enjoy it as it comes. And my cousin was a big, big Arsenal supporter; born and bred in Muswell Hill he went to almost every game since the 70ies. I have actually got some of his lovely old programmes from those days :)

When I asked him to go to the Ems with me, he said he is not interested, not the club he loved.

112. 26may1989 says:

Barca are losing to Valencia. Interesting.

113. evonne says:

26may @9:50 – you are hillarious :)

Gosh, now I have to go and check who are Mizrahis, things you do for Arsenal

114. goonermichael says:

Don’t all jews trace back to the middle east?

GM
    Not the Australian ones.

116. goonermichael says:

i saw an amazing documentary about a lost tribe of Jews who went to Japan. there are 500 words in japanese that are the same as Hebrew. A lot of japanese tradition is similar to Jewish stuff. The ark of the covenant is hidden in a mountain in Japan (that bit is only someones theory)

I thought the Ark was in Ethiopia?

Or in a big Government storage warehouse in America.

118. 26may1989 says:

evonne, I have some chums who are Brighton season ticket holders too. Having watched them go through some tough years, I’m delighted they’re having a good time now. The PL some time soon?

And picking up the thread of eventual successors to the Professeur (a long, long time in the future), could we one day be bossed by an ex-Chav and ex-Spud? Step forward Mr Gus Poyet.

119. goonermichael says:

I’m watching the chavs game. a bit boring but penalties are loomimg

120. 26may1989 says:

GM, now we’re getting right into it: your essential split is between Ashkanazi jews (whose ancestry is usually in Russia, Ukraine, Poland, Lithuania etc) and Sephardis (Morocco, Tunisia, Spain etc). There are various other groups, like the Ethiopian jews, and (I now know, thanks Wiki) Mizrahis. So usually, Sephardis are usually thought of as the Middle Eastern jews (Israeli Sephardis are often from Iraq, Iran, Yemen etc), and Ashkanazis from Poland, Russia etc.

Your question about ultimate Middle East ancestry raises another historical and theological question: there is debate about how Ashkanazis came to be Jewish, and interestingly there are Jewish and anti-semitic commentators who join forces to say that Ashkanazis aren’t “proper” Jews.

Personally, I think they’re talking crap, if someone is raised in a tradition that everyone in their family going back oodles of generations was also raised in, they belong to that tradition, and everything else is just details.

121. 26may1989 says:

The BBC just used the words “brilliantly cleared by Philippe Senderos”. Djourou, have a chat with your Swiss mate.

122. goonermichael says:

Lampard penalty saved

123. goonermichael says:

Zamora scores with weaker foot

124. 26may1989 says:

Lampard misses!! Ho ho ho.

125. goonermichael says:

I’m a yock so what would I know already

Fulham have missed one

126. 26may1989 says:

Bugger. Bleedin’ jammy chavs…..

127. goonermichael says:

dirty fucking chavs (sorry peaches)

128. goonermichael says:

they are a bit shit though

129. goonermichael says:

I have to pack. I’m off to the land of the rising sun tomorrow

130. 26may1989 says:

Night GM, and bon voyages.

131. goonermichael says:

I went to school in Balham. Bedford hill was a huge brothel now it’s the new fulham.

132. 26may1989 says:

And Cesc has just equalised for Barca.

133. goonermichael says:

Thanks. I’ll be on in tnhe morning as my flight is late. I’m going via Korea. Can I try dog in Seoul airport?. I didn’t realise I could have got it in Vietnam

Safe travels GM

Are you going to be blogging while you’re out there?

135. goonermichael says:

I actually dislike cesc now. He’s the enemy as far as I’m concerned

136. goonermichael says:

I’m not sure where I can get on a computor Rocky. My in laws don’t have access

137. goonermichael says:

Thanks Rocky

138. goonermichael says:

Great save by the valencia keeper

139. 26may1989 says:

You’re right GM, fantastic save, almost Szczesny like…..

And what a ball through from Messi.

I’m not going to nag about packing…..

140. 26may1989 says:

What a crap referee. He should come over to the PL.

141. And so it starts …………….

YossiBenayoun15 Yossi Benayoun
    by 80sirishlegend
    So happy for the win yesterday and with my first goal for the club but very disappointed as I have a strain and will be out for a week or so

142. 26may1989 says:

Peaches, if only he were an Ashkanazi, …….

While I was googling for news of Jewish Arsenal players, I found something posted by an American who was a talented ice hockey player; following an unscheduled meeting between his face and a puck, his Gran told him “Hockey isn’t a Jewish sport. Accountancy is a Jewish sport.” I liked that one.

143. Excellent 26may – those traditions have lasted thousands of years :lol:

144. In the USA so much sport goes on around college that there are bound to be youngsters that slip through the law/accountancy net

145. TotalArsenal says:

Great post/comments today PL26 :) I only saw the highlights, but it is great to read your enthusiasm about some of our young, and not so young, squad players.

Bolton won their CC away game against Aston Villa yesterday, so they will come to us with high confidence on Saturday. A big test, but we can do it.

146. neamman says:

GN5/RL if you ever get together in TO let me know. Im in Mississauga.

147. Gooner in Exile says:

Evening all, I am indeed back online, I have sidestepped Sky’s draconian measures and have managed to get a username and password to work with my own router.

Glad to hear all who went enjoyed themselves and that Evonne was leading the singing :D

I’m looking forward to seeing everyone Saturday who is and who isn’t attending Bolton?

Now I have interwebs back I will go to have a look on Arsenal Player for the highlights of last night.

Morning all.
    Peaches,
    Love the write up style and great to see you, Evonne and 26.
    Rasp,
    Hope you are better.
    GM,
    If you are having a last read before blast off, then have a great time.
    Evonne,
    Really impressed reading back over your post match comments. Who impressed you more, Ryo or Park?

Micky. Who impressed you most? Ryo or Park?

150. evonne says:

Hiya Micky – Park. Hard working, everywhere, really trying. Ryo was only there for 20minutes, perhaps not enough time. I almost emailed you last night – reading some comments will never be the same :) Did you see the exchanges about Rasp’s todger ?? I found some images of the band

GiE – you would not be so glad if you heard my singing, it’s horrid, scary to the opposition :)

Hi BR,
    Sorry a couple of things to do.
    Really tough question for me. The reason I went to the CC rather than Bolton was to see the new guys. As far as Park was concerned, I was hoping to see whether he may be the logical replacement for an injured RvP. Then he was played wide left! So for me its difficult as I really don’t know where his best position is. Arsene talks about him being good anywhere accrooss or even just behind the front three. My fear is that we have a Nic situation in that AW does not know Park’s ideal spot, but that is a silly assumption from me after less than one game.
    I really like the look of Ryo and we know exactly where he plays. Sorry, now typing blind because of this stupid comments box.

My guess is that Park may prove to be more effective central than MC as he is firstly a more intelligent player (read in the Standard he has an IQ of 150!) and also he is clearly capable of creating chances for himself backed up by a good shot in his armoury.

Evonne,
    Here’s my weird take on your support. You are a dog lover, while I’m a cat man, and yet you purr throughout while I sporadically bark.

Morning all,

just to put a final point as to the jewish footballers and population.

There are approx 1.35 billion chinese in in china and 13.4 million jews world wide, yet you don’t see many Chinamen :)

So Yossi is injured, is Rosicky and Sanna fit…. any up dates.

This is could be a post or open to a good debate:

The board need to be stronger with Arsene Wenger’- Goal.com MUST READ

Arsenal author on why the Gunners and their long-serving manager have reached a crossroads
    Football consultant Alex Fynn explains what the future holds for the club and the most successful manager in their history, whose powerbase has now been weakened

EXCLUSIVE
    By Wayne Veysey

Football consultant Alex Fynn, described by Arsene Wenger as a “football guru” and one of the leading figures in the formation of the Premier League, has collaborated with Kevin Whitcher, editor of the Gooner fanzine, on an updated edition of Arsènal: The Making of a Modern Superclub.

Here, in an interview with Goal.com, Fynn explains how Arsenal are at a crossroads in their history, why Wenger’s powerbase has been weakened at the club, the players the manager has regretted not signing and what lies ahead for the Frenchman and the club he has been in charge of for 15 years.

It has been a tumultuous few months at Arsenal. Where do you see the club now?
    The club is at a crossroads now. They have to decide on a strategy that significantly improves the playing side and the commercial side.

Should the club’s current position be attributed principally to Arsene Wenger or the board?
    Both. The board are fortunate to have had Arsene Wenger as their manager for so long and they have supported him wholeheartedly. In so doing they maybe gave him a bit too much scope and it is difficult to take some of these powers away from him. Because the board placed so much faith in Wenger they didn’t have an alternative plan. They let him get on with what he did so well, which is to win trophies, but the emergence of Chelsea and Manchester City altered the playing field significantly and Arsenal have not responded. The bottom line is the board need to be stronger with Wenger and challenge him more. Wenger needs to change the playing style.

Your book chronicles the fall-out between the board and Wenger’s great ally and friend, David Dein. How much has he been missed since he was forced out of the club in 2007?
    Without David Dein, there would be no Arsene Wenger and without Arsene Wenger there would not be the Arsenal we have today. Dein saw the financial threat from Chelsea and felt the team should be prioritised rather than the stadium but the rest of the board disagreed and, as a result, we have Emirates Stadium. For the first couple of years after the stadium was built Arsenal were contenders for the main trophies because of Wenger’s supreme ability, but that time has passed.

Do you believe Arsenal have the resources to compete with the big guns at home and abroad?
    If you look at the club’s revenue and take the property into account, Arsenal vie with Real Madrid as the biggest club in the world. Even without property, and just including football revenue, they are the fifth biggest club in the world. They are very successful in terms of the bottom line and they make a profit. Wenger has a wage and transfer budget in this financial year of £150 million. Before the sale of Samir Nasri and Cesc Fabregas, he had a transfer budget of £40m. He hasn’t spent that in the way many fans feel he should have spent it. He could have spent and strengthened at his leisure. Instead, Arsenal did their business in the last hours of the window.

Do you sense that Wenger’s powerbase has been weakened this summer?
    Yes, the situation has changed. There were two key incidents. The manager would have preferred to go on his annual Austria pre-season tour but the board thought it was important to service the fans overseas as Arsenal are a worldwide business. In order to promote their commercial activities they needed to go to the Far East and Wenger accepted it. Secondly, he wanted to keep Samir Nasri. The board pointed out to him the facts of the situation, namely, ‘You want to keep our most expensive wage earner whose contract expires in 12 months, who doesn’t want to be here and for whom we have been offered £23m. That doesn’t make good business sense.’ Again Wenger agreed.

Would it have been chief executive Ivan Gazidis persuading Wenger to sell Nasri?
    It probably would have been Ivan Gazidis but he would needed to have kept the board informed of what he felt should have been done. Gazidis has been a force for good at the club, particularly when you look at where Arsenal are lagging behind commercially. Their football revenues make them the fifth biggest club in the world, but in terms of commercial revenues, they are 13th. So there is a bit of leeway to make up but they are progressing well. Gazidis has always had power. He has just chosen to use it discreetly in the past.

Sold to the highest bidder | Nasri’s departure was against Wenger’s wish to keep him

Are you surprised that Wenger caved in and sold Nasri?
    He might be stubborn in terms of the way he runs the football side but when the facts of life are spelt out he will accept them. The problem with Arsenal is they haven’t spelt out the facts of life too often to the manager.

So, there is now someone to knock on Wenger’s door and have a quiet word with him about the football strategy?
    In the past, the knocking on the door was few and far between. Now it is a little bit more frequent. There are still obvious decisions that need to be made, first of all on the playing side. It is perfectly obvious that Arsenal need an experienced defensive coach. Wenger also needs a strong number two. Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City and Manchester United have these people in place. Wenger has taken on too much himself. However, he has earned that by his success. When he came Arsenal were overjoyed to qualify for the Uefa Cup in 1996. He has given them 14 seasons of the Champions League, a couple of doubles and, unforgettably, the Invincibles season. He has earned the right to do it his way.

Do you think Wenger’s youth project is a result of his own philosophy or the restrictions caused by building Emirates Stadium?
    The restrictions were placed on him when the stadium was being built. He did so well with these restrictions that he felt even when they were lifted that he could continue with the same policy, forgetting that Chelsea were a competitor and there was now an even more competition in terms of Manchester City, while Manchester United were there all along. Someone needed to challenge him in the summer of 2008 and say: ‘You must buy Xabi Alonso. Saying it will kill Denilson is not acceptable.’

The one that got away | Wenger declined the chance to buy Xabi Alonso in 2008

In your book you say that Arsenal were only a couple of million short of Liverpool’s asking price for Alonso. Does the failure to buy the Spaniard and others like him highlight how much David Dein has been missed?
    Many people misinterpret the role of Dein. Although he wouldn’t challenge Wenger by saying ‘for goodness sake Arsene, we need a defensive coach’, he would say, ‘Arsene, if you want Xabi Alonso, forget about the money’. They were close friends and worked together as a partnership. Wenger says himself that ‘David did my dirty work for me’. Wenger didn’t have the time or inclination to sit down with agents but Dein did. He was a tough negotiator and enjoyed the cut and thrust of negotiations. Unlike Chelsea and Manchester City, Arsenal no longer sit down so often with the mega agents like Pini Zahavi or Jorge Mendes, but if Dein was around there would be more contact.

Richard Law has taken on Dein’s role of transfer and contract negotiator. What do you make of him?
    He is a lawyer and not a football man in the way that Dein is and not an Arsenal man in the way that Dein is. Although Dein could have done more in terms of challenging his friend [Wenger], his absence shows how badly he is missed.

Should the board regret ousting Dein?
    They acted the way they did because the stadium was the priority. Dein acted unilaterally. He believed while the stadium was being built that money should be found for the team. That was the point of difference, even though his friend, the manager, promised the board he could make do and mend. Dein went against the board policy which was supported by Wenger.

Would Arsenal have bought five players in the last 48 hours of the window if they had not lost 8-2 at Manchester United?
    If they had drawn 2-2 would they have bought anybody? I don’t think they would have acquired all the players they have. Wenger has been a critic of the loan system among Premier League clubs and has never before loaned a player [Yossi Benayoun] who he felt probably had his best days behind him. He used to only give one-year contracts to players once they got to 30.

There were well sourced rumours that there was pressure from the top of the club to make radical signings in the final days of the window. Do you believe Wenger was forced to act by the board?
    He is making the decisions because he can now see that he might have been looking too far ahead in the past. If he could have his time again maybe he would have bought Xabi Alonso, maybe he would have reorganised the defence earlier. The Man United debacle brought it all home to him that there was just enough time to adjust the situation.

We’re Gunner need new stars | The 8-2 defeat at Old Trafford led to a flurry of late buys

Did you find it odd that Wenger was at a Uefa coaching conference in Switzerland on the final day of the window?
    It is unusual. Dein wouldn’t have made it easy for him. Not by saying, ‘Arsene, you can’t go’, but by forcing him to face up to last-minute decisions that would have involved both of them.

Wenger is under contract to Arsenal until 2014. Do you envisage a situation where he could leave the club before then, possibly even this season?
    If he has another disappointing season like how the one ended last season and he is roundly criticised he might feel he has done all he can for the club, particularly because he wants to go home to France eventually. The French version of Manchester City, Paris Saint-Germain, have him on their wish list and he has had close ties with that club in the past. He would feel another challenge may revitalise him as manager. He wants to be hands on. Like Sir Alex Ferguson, he can’t envisage not being hands on with regards to the playing side. Wenger has turned down offers in the past from clubs of the calibre of Real Madrid because he couldn’t envisage the same freedom that Arsenal can give him.

Could you envisage him in a director of football role at PSG?
    PSG have got a very good director of football in Leonardo, who is exceptionally experienced. If Leonardo and Wenger can work harmoniously then that might be an answer and a new challenge, so long as he decides who the club acquires.

There have been rumours about Manchester City targeting Wenger, a switch that would seemingly contradict his ‘financial doping’ stance?
    I don’t think he would go to another English club. Also, he is not materialistically inclined and does not spend money in a lavish way. What is important to him is job satisfaction. Last season, he wasn’t getting the same job satisfaction as previously. If he is not getting job satisfaction this season then I think he might seriously consider calling time on his Arsenal career.

Given that there is a strong possibility that Wenger could leave Arsenal, would the board sack him if results go downhill?
    No, because of what has gone before. They owe him too much. The only way that would happen is if there is a complete change in the current board. That might happen because all of the key men who have supported him over time are in their 70s. If the board remain in place, he will be at Arsenal as long as he wishes, even if they finish mid-table this season. But there would be unilateral criticism from fans and he would personally feel that he had let the club down and that maybe enough is enough.

Which brings us to ‘Silent’ Stan Kroenke, the majority owner who lives in the US, who doesn’t care much for football and who keeps his own counsel. Would his view be different to the septugenarian-dominated board?
    That is the big unanswerable question. It would be very nice if Kroenke publicly stated his position. What happens if suddenly Arsenal don’t sell 60,000 tickets but they sell 40,000. You would probably think Kroenke might be a bit more proactive. He doesn’t have the same feel for the club as long-term English supporters like Peter Hill-Wood, Dein and Ken Friar and if Arsenal were facing a financial problem he would have to protect his investment.

156. evonne says:

Micky – ha ha ha ha :) Yes, but pussycats have very fast claws, I often find myself scratching the table

You are right, Park was all over the place, I thought it was a good thing, making himself available. But maybe he simply did not know his position, hm not sure

Kelsey Hi,
    Given that they are not your words, I can be critical of a few things.
    Was Alonso ever available as it hinged on the Barry deal and I’m sure Pool would never have let him go without a replacement. Also, I have never read that he wanted to join us, rather he wanted to go to Spain.
    He says Arsene must change the playing style. Why? We came fourth and frankly where it not for a couple of want-away bad seeds I reckon we could have been higher.
    Why should SK clarify his position?
    Sorry stopping, pissed off with typing blind

There’s a New Post …………………

Mickey,

i have my own thoughts and i happen to know Alex Flynn i literally grew up with him in the same block of flats.He is a confirmed Spurs supporter, but there are a few paragraphs which interest me.