Proof that Arsenal will score more goals this season.

Someone questioned on the blog yesterday whether our new line-up would be able to score enough goals, so I thought it would be interesting to compare the goalscoring prowess of the new players against those who have departed based on past performances.

Now I realise that stats are generally just a way of manipulating figures so they masquerade as facts. There are many factors such as playing in a different league, in a different team etc. etc. which completely undermine the validity of the comparison, but I decided to persevere with this lighthearted analysis because we should all be excited by the prospect of a new look Arsenal with more bite in the final third.

I believe the benefits of having a team packed with players who want to prove themselves, who want to play for Arsenal and are unsullied by the grubby attentions of billionaire suitors means that we will at last possess the much vaunted yet ultimately fragile team spirit that evaporated completely in the latter stages of last season.

The following stats are based on the player’s time at Arsenal for those who have left, and games played at their previous club for those have just joined (Benayoun’s stats are from Liverpool as he hardly played for Chelski).

gpg = goals per game.

Likely first team replacements:

Samir Nasri: 18 goals in 86 games = 0.21 gpg

Gervinho: (Lille) 28 goals in 67 games = 0.42 gpg

………………………………………………………………………….

Cesc Fabregas: 35 goals in 212 games = 0.16 gpg

Mikel Arteta: (Everton) 27 goals in 161 games = 0.17 gpg

………………………………………………………………………….

Gael Clichy: 1 goal in 187 games = 0.006 gpg

Santos: (Fenerbahce) 10 goals in 52 games = 0.19 gpg

Assuming that Gervinho, Arteta and Santos will start most games in place of Nasri, Cesc and Clichy, their combined gpg is as follows:

Ex-Arsenalplayers = 54 goals in  585 games = 0.09 gpg

New Arsenal players = 65 goals in 280 games = 0.23 gpg

Goals from the bench:

Niklas Bendtner: 22 goals in 98 games = 0.22 gpg

Park: (Monaco) 25 goals in 91 games = 0.27 gpg

………………………………………………………………………….

Henri Lansbury: 4 goals in 22 games (on loan to Norwich City) = 0.18 gpg

Alex Oxlade Chamberlain: (Southampton) 9 goals in 36 games = 0.26 gpg

………………………………………………………………………….

Yossi Benayoun may well be used as an impact sub as a more attacking option to Ramsey or Wilshere, he also represents a greater goalscoring threat with stats of  29 goals in 133 games = 0.22 gpg

Wilshere: 1 goal in 37 games = 0.03 gpg

Ramsey: 4 goals in 37 games = 0.11 gpg

So the results are conclusive as you can see - we’re going to score bucketloads more goals with the new line-up.

The defence is also more solid so we should also be shipping in far fewer goals. We at last have a worthy No.1 keeper. Vermaelen is back (how we’ve missed him) and we have the added experience and height of Mertesacker and the class and pedigree of Santos.

The squad has greater depth and balance than we’ve seen since 2006. We have players like Park and Benayoun who can come off the bench and change games, and the emergence of Jenkinson, Oxlade Chamberlain and Miyaichi to keep everyone on their toes. The squad suddenly looks able to fight on all fronts and will need to do just that to keep everyone involved.

We also have 2 more players who can take a free kick in Santos and Park and hopefully we won’t have the ridiculous situation of our leading goalscorer taking corners instead of getting on the end of them.

Forget the first 3 games of the season, we were still reeling from the effect of the long drawn out departures of Cesc and Na$ri and the squad had been decimated by injuries and suspensions.

The new players will make a difference. Our season starts again this Saturday against Swansea.

Written by Rasp

121 Responses to Proof that Arsenal will score more goals this season.

1. Illybongani says:

Rasp – very uplifting and well researched. Thank you. I’m hoping we’ve bottomed out now with Jack’s injury news and it’s now onwards and upwards.

A healthy win against Swansea and the mood will have changed for the better. Maybe Arsene can then concentrate on what he does best – winning football matches.

Great stuff Rasp.
    In the free kick department, I have a feeling Arteta will be our long overdue new Noddy Talbot :-)

Morning Micky, I’d forgotten that Arteta too can take a free kick. We’ve been woefully short in that department for a long time. Verrmaelen can deliver a thunderbolt and Theo was showing promise at the end of last season.

I hate to say it, but we haven’t had a single player (possibly with the exception of RvP) who can deliver from a deadball situation as well as Joey Barton.

Rasp,
    RvP cannot shoot from distance. Theo, yes but from the left, which is why I keep advocating Theo playing on the left. You get the argument that he cannot cross with his left foot, but so what. How many goals do we score with headers from the front three? Theo cutting in from the left is deadly.

While I’m here, I am stalling for a moment on my Marseille plans as I have a business trip to the US, but no confirmed dates as yet. Hopefully, will avoid a clash.

Good point Micky, I’m hoping with the width the new players will provide that our front three will attack the box with more urgency. Obviously Park is untried in the prem, but he is the nearest to a fox in the box of the new signings although Gervinho’s gpg is better.

7. Greenoe says:

mate this is great to see on paper and i hope and in a way believe its going to happen, swansea are going to get the full force of that defeat to man utd, but only if the new boys fit in and gel straight away, im hoping they will and dont need a couple of games to adjust. saying that i feel the Gunners are now on the right path shame we dropped the points in first couple of games but in the past we start well and finish rather poor, this year its other way round, well im hoping!!!!!! KEEP THE FAITH

8. Johnny Smith says:

It’s not a “fact” until it has happened. Also you can’t just look at the GPG ratio, you need to look at how many chances the midfielders create etc., Cesc for instance it the most creative player in the world (fact, over the last 5 years even, in terms of both assists and chances created), so the relevant question isn’t really “can Arteta score as many goals as Cesc?”; the relevant question is “can Arteta provide the attacking players with the same amount of chances as Cesc?” because that is what will have the largest impact on the amount of goals scored. Good try, but a bit naive and simplified in terms of statistical analysis.

9. fatgingergooner says:

Micky,

Having watched the first few games of the season you will have probably noted that Walcott and Gervinho have switched on a regular basis during games, to most effect against Udinese away. I agree that Walcott is more effective coming in from the left ala Henry. His goal against Udinese away was a perfect example, but his goal against Udinese at home also showed he could play down the middle. I hope he gets chance to do all 3 this year.

10. maz says:

i like your optimism but in almost all cases the the new players are coming from leagues weaker than the premiership – that’s not to say they won’t adapt but just that the comparison is unfair – how many goals do you think nasri would have scored if he had been in the lille attack for example – also it is a feature of arsenal’s play that they spread the goals around rather than relying on a couple of main scorers – i would not be surprised to see the new players’ rates drop for both of the above reasons.

People are worried about lack of goals because in the absence of Cesc, arsenal are creating many fewer chances – this is a novel problem – for a long time we created endless chances but couldn’t put them away but after cesc’s injury at the end of last seasons we were struggling to break down well organized defenses – which is increasingly how teams line up against us. Don’t forget – cesc has had the best rate of assists out of any players any European league over the past few years.

Hopefully with the addition of Arteta and the development of Ramsey and Wilshere (when he’s back) and a fit RvP they will be able to take up the burden of provision in cesc’s absence – but this is far from clear – if you are looking for comparative statistics i think assists will be more revealing.

11. maz says:

also – one other point is that when comparing say bendtner and park – bendtner made the vast majority of appearances form the bench – whereas park was a starter for Monaco – perhaps goals per minute on the field would more useful – i suspect bendters rate would be considerable higher than parks.

Hi Johnny, the clue is in the use of the word ‘lighthearted’ in the second paragraph and the acknowledgement that statistics can be used to prove whatever you want.

The tone was intended to raise our spirits and get everyone behind the team from now on. It appears our players can score prolifically for their national teams (9 goals in the last week), I’m hoping that they can transfer that form into the Arsenal.

Morning maz,

I made the point about the lack of validity in the comparison and specifically that they had played in different leagues.

Treat it as a rallying call not a scientific study.

I agree with your point about assists, and officially invite you to write a post for the site on that subject.

14. I hate to cast a gloomy note, but according to a few lines in the Telegraph, this morning, “no date is given for the return (from injury) of Vermaelen”.

Apparantly he has a thigh injury, latest update on arsenal.com was 30th August.

15. maz says:

Fair point – i spend my life in stats so those things just jumped out at me – don’t get me wrong I’m hopeful of the new recruits – i just worry that pundits and analysts have misidentified the biggest threat to arsenal’s continued success – my view is that actually arsenal’s defense was not so far off being very strong as everyone made out – all we needed was a couple of reliable signings (which have now come – giving us more strength in depth in our defense than i have seen since the late 90s) – i think the real threat is the failure to create chances – walcott and arshavin have not developed as hoped and Rvp cannot do it alone. but with a few senior recruits with a bit of quality we may have solution while the younger prospects find their feet

Hi LG, yes, I’d heard that about TV too – looks like Mertesacker and kozzer will be our CB pairing against Swansea.

17. Illybongani says:

the thing is, when you go out and buy a quality CB it doesn’t really matter that much! If only we’d got Mertesacker (or his like) last season we wouldn’t have missed TV so much

Thanks maz,

One thing is for sure, we had no choice but to recruit and in so doing accept that our style of play will inevitably change. I’m one that believes Arteta can pull the strings in midfield and feed the attack. It says a lot that a player of his age would take a cut in wages for the chance to prove himself on a bigger stage.

19. Chappers says:

The over reliance on Cesc has always been a hindrance more than a blessing. He is world class, he creates a bucket-load of chances, but he was frequently absent through injury in the last couple of seasons, undermining his impact IMO.

We have a much more balanced side now, with wingers with genuine pace and flair, something we’ve lacked since we moved to the Emirates. Having players like Overmars again is truly exciting (not that I expect our new recruits and youngsters to emulate his impact) and it bodes well for the future.

Nasri had an incredible goals-to-chance ratio during the early part of last season. Over the course of his Arsenal career he was neither prolific nor creative, which he was often criticized for, so I have faith in his replacements to fill the void.

Benayoun has always scored goals, Gervinho has already showed signs that he’ll create more chances than Nasri, who, truth be told, has an inflated reputation in that regard. Park looks a versatile and shrewd buy and we have two real gems in Ryo and Ox.

That being said, Nasri may well become a better player at the Man Shitty, but bar 3 months, he didn’t perform well enough for me during his tenure at the club, to regard Gervinho as a step down.

Only Cesc will be sorely missed and I don’t think we have or could have realistically replaced him.

I like the new direction we’re heading, both with the addition of experience and the qualities our new signings possess.

20. Rasp,

I think Arteta is going to surprise a lot of sceptics, his passing and dead ball situations will help enormously and the rest of the team won’t feel the need to play everything through him as they did with the Spaniard. Arsenal, as a consequence, will be less predictable.

Gotta go, the shopping trolley calls, as does the missus.

21. Rocky Jay says:

wait.. Tommy V is injured again??
    oh whyyyyy???
    Why does it only happen to The Arsenal?
    Jack is out, now Tommy V is out…
    Screw the Arsenal Medical team!

Morning Chappers and welcome,

Great comment and a very fair analysis of where we currently find ourselves.

Time will tell and there is plenty of cause for optimism. The nature of the signings tells me that we are not just building for the future but addressing the ‘now’ and that is an approach we have needed for some time.

Rasp,

Interesting stats which I am sure GunnerN5 will enlarge upon,but we have to change the system slightly for the moment with cesc and Samir gone and jack out.the three play makers and therefore a lot of the emphasis will be on Rosicky.he threaded a great pass through for the Czechs on saturday which led to the dubious penalty.
    So often when we have a free kick in a scoring position, we just pass the ball a few yards to another player,RVP being the exception .The new squad will give us indeed more options but firstly we need to win the free kicks in the first place.
    Last season there wasn’t one goal scord by us or the opposition from outside the area in all our home games.

Hi kelsey,

Yes, I agree. That’s why I keep saying that I hope the new players will herald a new more direct style of play.

What worries me is that our training techniques in the past seem to have removed some of the forward momentum and I’m hoping we will not similarly neuter the new players.

I agree Roisicky looked very effective for the CR, he just sat in the midfield and pulled the strings and was instrumental in the majority of the attackling moves.

25. Chappers says:

Cheers Rasp and I hope our optimism will prevail in the coming weeks and months.

Arsene has described the development of a young player as a house, where it’s critical to start with a strong foundation to build upon. I have felt that we’ve lacked that in recent years and while we’ve had young players who have risen to the occasion and performed beyond their years, some of them have failed to carry the expectations unfairly thrust upon them. Now we can buy a big talent like Mario Götze or Hazard without them having to carry the team from day one, making us more inclined to pay that little bit extra to sign players of that caliber.

I’m not saying we will, but we now have the foundation to go for it.

I’m one happy Gooner.

Thanks again Chappers, unfortunately although I believe we can meet the asking price of a Götze, Hazard or M’Vila, I don’t think we are prepared to meet their wage expectations and that was the main reason we didn’t land one or two of the bigger guns we were linked with – but I hope I’m wrong.

That said, my optimism derives from the quality and attributes of the new players. I wouldn’t mind of hearing about some new additions to the training squad to freshen their approach too.

27. 26may1989 says:

Good post that one Rasp, well done. (Johnny Smith, and your oh so patronising “a bit naive and simplified” comment, do read a post before you inflict your wisdom on us mere mortals.)

Some interesting comments from Cesc and Arshavin appearing today, which give an insight into where the club stands today and into the significance for the Board of financial issues above all else. See http://www.football365.com/news/21554/7151803/Cesc-Wenger-got-me-Barca-move and http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2033820/Andrey-Arshavin-Arsenal-losing-Fabregas-Nasri-catastrophic.html.

With the scale of change we have seen, and with no form in six months, we have plenty to prove before we can seriously put ourselves forward as contenders for anything. But I feel we have a decent defence (though we have to wait to see how Santos fits in), decent defensive midfield, and good creative/attacking midfield. Up front, much depends on Park doing well from the off and/or Chamakh remembering how to play. If those two misfire, we are weak up front, and the rest of the team will need to make good the deficiencies. But I see plenty to feel good about, and the figures Rasp cites (however unscientific they are) underline the point.

Where can one find the article that says vermaelen is injured again,thanks.

26th.
    under that article was this post.

“then maybe you could pull your finger out of your backside Mr Arshavin and midly attempt to try and fill the void they left? you havent got too long left as an arsenal player mate..”

The poster may well have a point :)

30. dandan says:

Good article lets hope fact follows statistics.

26; Thank you for that link, would you believe Kelsey had the nerve to say that my post this morning on the subject was less than accurate cheeky sod :-)

Afternoon dandan,

It’s been a while since we’ve had one of your articles to publish, any chance of an offering for this week? :)

32. Illybongani says:

…and here we go – the madness starts right here. Not long now to the January window!!!

33. Illybongani says:

Rasp – if you get stuck I emailed one for consideration earlier

Thanks Illy, that’s great, I’m sure it will be perfect. I’ll have a look later and get back to you.

35. Hi All

Thank you to Illybongani, Camberwell Gooner and FatGingerGooner who have all sent posts in for this weeks and remarkably they are all different – even better :)

36. neamman says:

I am so scared about RVP and Theo injury performance. We are over reliant on them.. Gerv and Park will need time to adjust although Gerv looks exciting. I am still one who wishes we kept Nic and loaned out Chamakh.

37. London says:

Neamman

Everyone would have prefered to have loaned out Chamakh and kept Nic but only one was prepared to sit on the bench for what could be be the best part of the season while the other wanted regular first team football which makes a lot of sence to me.

Here is the list of players who could play should Walcott get injured.

Arshavin
    Park
    Gervinho
    Benayoun
    Oxlade-Chamberlain

Some how I think we will survive that one.

38. Illybongani says:

London – I am aware of the public house to which you have previously referred, however I do not frequent the aforementioned drinking establishment as the good lady wife won’t let me out.

39. so dandan, wenger had the last say on cesc being sold at below market value. over to you ;)

Thanks for the link, illy.

Is Mr. Red Arse on holiday?

Rasp. The stats make interesting reading even if some do not understand the first para’s :-)

With the removal of our two most skilful players we will inevitably play a different style of football, but I hope it will be based upon the lovely flowing soccer introduced so many years ago by our Leader – actually I am certain of it.

Can’t wait to see how our new boys bed in

Hi Raddy,

I must admit that today’s post was written more by virtue of necessity than inspiration :?

What I would like the blog world to do and Arsenal supporters in general, is build up to an almighty crescendo of positive energy exploding the minute the whistle blows at 3 o-clock on Saturday at the Emirates.

The Management have done their job, we have a good squad, we need to show the players new and old that we are behind them and that Arsenal supporters are turning over a new leaf too.

Total agree ment Rasp.

Can anyone explain to me how AW’s 2 match CL ban is upheld when The Chosen One was discovered to have been smuggled into RM’s dressing at half time to give a talk and bugger all happened?

Furthermore, the referee who essentially won Barca the CL title by sending off RvP (slight exaggeration :-) ) is now the UEFA head of referees and one can start to see an Anti Arsenal bias.

Once again, UEFA show what a shower of shite they are.

44. Camberwell Gooner says:

Rasp – Yes indeed! Am already building up like a pressure cooker ready to blow sky high on Saturday. And scatter hot lentils and pork all over the kitchen ceiling.

BR – Right again. UEFA are a pathetic, venal little organisation full of small-minded, petty little men with vested interests. Double standards indeed.

Why on earth don’t they just let it go? The man has already served his ban and here they are fumbling around in the dark for excuses to punish him further, like a 13-year-old attempting to remove a girl’s bra.

Their energies would be better spent dishing out serious punishments to national FAs who tolerate racist chanting.

45. Idaho Jim says:

The referee Massimo Busacca is Swizz, same as Blatter. The referee was born in Zurich, same as Blatter. Any ideas?

Platini admitted the rules of banishment were wrong and needed changing. Except for Wenger. Any ideas?

46. Camberwell Gooner says:

PS If they enforce the ban, would you allow a blog entitled “The A-Z of Why UEFA are Twits”?

“A is for ass, as in ‘their laws are an ass’.
    B is for breathtaking incompetence, i.e. what they display in almost everything they do…” etc.

47. Idaho Jim says:

Camberwell,

As long as it is jest lentils and pork scratchings. Anything else is unhygienical.

48. Camberwell Gooner says:

Idaho – Well, there will of course be trace amounts of coriander and basil in there, plus the odd chilli.

49. Idaho Jim says:

That’s right fine Camberwell,

A little bell to signal you are going to vent would be good too.

CG, you’re pencilled in for ‘The A – Z’ post :P

51. Camberwell Gooner says:

Sweet!

Camberwell,
    We’re hungry and we’re coming round. Get out the big plates.

53. Camberwell Gooner says:

Idaho, how about a bell AND a little tin whistle? :D

and Afternoon All.

Hi Micky,

Are we having the pleasure of your company at the rub-a-dub for a pre-match bevvy on Saturday?

56. Camberwell Gooner says:

Micky – you bring the booze, I’ll supply napkins.

Rasp,
    There is a fly in the ointment at the moment but I’m working on the little critter.

onlinefooty.com has killed my pleasure .I was kindly given access at first by one poster on here and then another but they have got wise to people sharing an account and furthermore they are saying they are not accepting new accounts which is rather strange.So no swansea for me.

Camberwell,
    Bugger the napkins but I’m loading the barrels as we speak.

CG, am I to take it that you will be watching the game from the comfort of your food spattered kitchen then rather than joining the AA throng on match day?

61. Idaho Jim says:

Good thinking Camber. Shoot, if you could stump up fer two tin whistles and a bell you could cover both ends and sound like a band to boot..

62. goonermichael says:

I was told (by someone who says he is in the know)on Saturday that Usmanov will own the club within a year.I think it’s really funny that a lot of the people who want him to own the club are the same people who support the “we want our Arsenal back” campaign. As for Uefa it’s run by someone who is married but is notorious in the gay clubs of Paris (again on good authority.

63. Camberwell Gooner says:

Rasp – I will in fact be at an alternative festival on the day so the best I can do is probably listen to it on my car stereo…eating lentils out of a metal tin…

Idaho – Good plan. If you bring two spoons you can do the percussion!

64. Camberwell Gooner says:

GM – You’re giving me plenty of ideas for the A-Z post. Think I just found ‘G’

65. Idaho Jim says:

OK, I’ll give it a rip.

Camberwell and Idaho,
    Throw in the wash board (metal obviously) and we have ourselves a Zydeco Band.

GM,

you are such a bitch ;)

68. goonermichael says:

I can think of much better A and B too

69. goonermichael says:

40 years in hairdressing. What do you expect?

70. goonermichael says:

I’m off to Lawrence hall (whatever that is) for a hairdressing bash. Should be a laugh. See you all later.

71. Idaho Jim says:

I’m right fond of Cajun which is a kissin cousin to zydeco, sounds like a deal.

Lets dont be formal 89, you can call me Jim.

Jim,
    Every year or two I have a summer party and always a Live Band. One year it was Cajun and another Zydeco. Both England based but play the festivals around Baton ROuge or Lafayette. Great summer music.

73. gunnern5 says:

Idaho Jim, I lived in Coeur d’ Alene for several years.

74. dandan says:

Rasp I have stuck one in as you asked :-)

Thanks dandan :P

76. gunnern5 says:

I find these comments from AA really infuriating. The little toe rag needs to ask himself the question ” what I have done for Arsenal”?

My answer would be SQUAT.

……………………………………………………………………………………………..

Andrey Arshavin admits that Arsenal losing Samir Nasri and Cesc Fabregas has been catastrophic for the club.

The Russia international has revealed his disappointment to see the two midfield stars leave the club.

But he admits that the signing of Mikel Arteta and Yossi Benayoun have gone some way to helping them over their loss.

“At the moment, losing Fabregas and Nasri is a catastrophe,” the forward told Russian newspaper Sport.

“Watching the Udinese match I said to [Nicklas] Bendtner that now we have no-one so comfortable with passing the ball to Robin van Persie or who ideally utilises the qualities of the other forwards.

“He smiled and replied, ‘Yes, the only player who could properly replace Cesc is probably Xavi’.’ I’m very glad that I was able to play in the same team as Fabregas – he is a truly class footballer.”

But the 30-year-old was pleased with other business done by manager Arsene Wenger.

“When people say no-one is irreplaceable I don’t agree. With [Mikel] Arteta or whoever replaces those who have left, we will play different football, not as we played with Cesc and Samir,” he said.

“Arteta and Benayoun have long proved themselves in the Premier League, they’re not bad signings. And we needed strengthening in those positions.

“Perhaps another holding midfielder wouldn’t hurt and, as far as I know, we were trying till the last minute to get [Rennes midfielder Yann] M’Vila, but unfortunately we weren’t able to buy him,” he added.

“Judging by the quantity and quality of our signings, Arsenal’s football will soon undergo some changes.”

77. 26may1989 says:

Ah, a Louisiana discussion: my sister lives there, married to a local. Visits are right good fun, esp on the music side. And for those who haven’t sampled TV’s most musical series, check out Treme.

78. Thanks dandan :)

We’re well served with posts for this week, thank you to all the contributors but I’ll be nagging again for next week by Sunday :lol:

IF and as always it must be an If, AA’s translation is accurate, then the little fellow has gone down in my estimation.

I thought his performance at OT was dreadful, sure he put himself about for 20 minutes but then disappeared at a time when we needed a cool, experienced head.

The man should shut up and try to convince AW he deserves his place in the first 11 because at the moment he is a bench player and deservedly so.

GunnerN5,

when i first read your opening paragraph , i thought you were talking about this site :)

I tend to agree about Arshavin, it would be nice to see him doing his talking on the pitch.

He will be gone soon, as i said before London is too warm for him,is a very high wage earner and is over 30.must be one of the very few wealthy Russians that actually wants to bo back to Russia.

All of the costas is flooded with them and i hearr all the top priced real estate is being bought by them inLondon and elsewhere.

Nice one dandan, i thought it was your new bath being delivered.

The best I can do is having the Abba tribute band at my Villa for a September party.it was a charity event (mine) Seriously good time held by all.

83. Gooner in Exile says:

Afternoon all thanks for the statistical lift Rasp.

As I hinted at yesterday Cesc has moved to a team that will create him as many chances as he will create for others, what I hope for is that in his absence the same happens for us. I’m sure we all remember the sight of Henry rolling the ball to Pires, or Denis to Freddie, or Pires to Denis etc.

For the last few seasons we have looked for Cesc to pass to x, almost in the same way that the last years of Thierry saw our players looking for him.

So as well as sharing round the goals I hope to see us share round the assists.

84. gunnern5 says:

Kelsey,

I hope that after that article (if correctly translated) London gets a lot HOTTER than he can tolerate.

Hello All
    Been away for a while but have enjoyed catching up on some great posts and comments.

Nice to see a mood of optimism (even if it’s mostly cautious optimism) around the place.

cesc and barca is a drawn out love affair until they finally got their leg over ;)

i think red arse must be writing some more poetry.

87. Red Arse says:

Hi Guys, been busy.

Rasper, I have worked out a formula for you.

The formula for proving the increase in goal scoring is …..

Ball radius (x) 3.14 (pi)

The goal area is…

Radius ballicus2 x 3.14

Or put another way…

circumference of the ball = 2 * radius * pi
    penalty area = radius ballicus * radius * pi * area of the goal posts.

The answer = The Rasper is right!! :-)

More goals on the way.

When I look at meretesecker he reminds me of boris becker but with more of an elongated face.

ah the red arse has arrived.

RA,
    Anyone with the slightest grasp of Latin will know you made that up as “Radius Ballicus” translates as “Testicular Elephantiasis”.

Quick question for any computer techies. I am a PC man so use Excel alot, but on the design side of my work everyone uses Macs. It would make some sense to switch to Mac to have the same software as the arty lot but do other PC users understand Mac version of spreadsheets whatever they are called.

Kelsey,
    When I see Mertesacker I think: “Yes. Have some of that Drogba, Rooney and Crouch you bunch of poofs”.

92. dandan says:

MattLawExpress Matt Law
    If manchester city really want to get on arsenal’s nerves, they’ll sack garry cook and replace him with david dein.
    1 minute ago Favorite Retweet Reply

93. Fatgingergooner says:

When I look at Mertesacker I think “this is hurting my neck!”

FGG,
    By the way, really great Post the other day. Sorry I wasn’t around to join in.
    More please.
    Thank you and goodnight all.

Micky. I am a Macman (sounds a bit iffy). but as you know I have no use whatsoever for numbers. It works brilliantly and simpy for graphics.

It is possible to get Office for Macs which includes Excel , so you can use the programme you are used to as well as the Mac design packages.

Be warned – once you take the Apple plunge you are lost. I have an Ipad,a couple of Ipods and a stationary Mac. I also have a PC laptop which I use for cricket streaming – the Mac security stops Veetle and Sopcast because they are prone to viruses.

Apple products are expensive but they work.

96. Amazing response to the whip cracking today, thank you, we have plenty of posts in the cupboard.

There will be a suspension of nagging until Friday pm when I’ll start looking for someone to write the match report :)

97. TotalArsenal says:

Great, uplifting post Rasp. Now you are getting positive, I know we will be okay this season :P

Drove back from London this evening and heard on the radio that the Ox set up three goals this evening for England U21 against Israel U21. 1-0 down at half time, but England turned it round with a brilliant performance from the Ox, and Lansbury scored a goals as well.

Did anybody watch that game tonight?

98. I didn’t see the game but I saw the Ox being interviewed afterwards. He was very influential by all accounts and drove the team forward :)

99. Gooner in Exile says:

Micky as regards switching to Maci would recommend. A numbers man here who uses a Mac will wonders never cease?

For what it’s worth I have no need for graphical design software, as a computing experience Mac > Windows.

Things work and they work intuitively. I have iMac and MacBookPro.

If you use Pivot Tables or complex Excel functions Apples iWork will not be enough. But there is a solution. I have to use Sage and there is no Mac version, so I have to use a VirtualMachine. I use one called Parallels you can load on your existing Windows OS and install whatever packages you use and it works in unison with OSX and seamlessly once running a Windows App runs as if operating on Mac OSX which leaves many surprised when first witnessing.

If you email me (via peaches I guess) I will send some screen grabs so you can see what I mean but if you google Parallels VM you should see plenty of demos. They even do a Switch to Mac version which comes with a lead to enable transfer of your existing Windows PC but due to potential security issues probably on your machine I would always go for a clean install (assuming you have the OS disk).

As Raddy says start up costs are high but old Mac users are rarely left behind by software updates and software itself is cheap. Upgrade from Snow Leapord to Lion £29. Upgrade from Vista to 7 £200. MS Office £200, Apple iWork £50.

Right I have probably bored everyone, so …..

Football, beer, goals, victory….. better?

100. Gooner in Exile says:

26′s recommendation for Treme totally agree!

101. goonermichael says:

will we ever see TV and mertesacker play together?

102. 26may1989 says:

Three assists (count ‘em) for Ox-Chamb tonight, one of which was nicely finished by Lansbury. Here’s a slightly chaotic vid (I’m sure better will appear soon): http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/england-israel-(u21)-15370121/

103. 26may1989 says:

I think (I’m not 100% sure) that Cameroon have now been formally eliminated from the African Cup of Nations qualification. So Alex Song will be ours next Feb/March.

Questions really have to be answered by the medical and fitness team.Reoccuring injuries time and time again, and often by being overplayed when not fully recovered can lead to more serious injuries.
    How often has this got to happen before we change internal management ? I read jack played 53 times last season and now I think with Vermaelen maybe we have another Rosicky case.
    A club the size of Arsenal who supposedly have the best facilities in the world,need to look at themselves and make a full investigation. It just doesn’t add up that we are continuosly unlucky with injuries.
    If we had a proper balanced squad we would have adequate cover, but the demons seem to have struck again.

105. pat says:

Vermaelen out for 2 months!!! FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARK!

106. pat says:

such a shame – he was looking so good at the start of the season. I feel so frustrated about that – he must be what I feel x1000….

Pat,
    Would that be an Earthling two months or an Arsenal Medical Team two months?
    Horrible feeling I know the answer :-(

108. Fatgingergooner says:

Would rather he have the op and come back fit n ready than have a repeat of last years mess. Per and Kozzer are more than capable for the upcoming games we have.

BR and GiE,
    Thanks both for your answers last night.
    BR, I have emailed you.
    GiE, Interesting. Later today I will be talking to my designery man to see how compatible his software is. Sounds like a Mac can be both.

If you look at the list of players in our squad these last number of years with injury after injury it is mind blowing.
    Ramsey and Eduardo had leg breaks, but I don’t have to list the others as you know them all.Over a season it is far too high a percentage of first team players.
    Our so called first 11 is a match for anyone, but will we actually ever see them play together.

As you can see i woke up in a good mood today :)

Prediction from me (and others) Usmanov will make a huge move to get control of the club or joint control of our club in the next few months.Not saying it is good or bad.Let’s just wait.

I think we saw last season how important TV is to the team- probably more important than Cesc.

AW must be a very unhappy man knowing the 2 most important players in the squad are out for at least 2-3 months.

I am in a good mood as well …..

113. Gooner in Exile says:

Kelsey I agree our level of injuries is high and it’s a concern.

But where I find it difficult to think it is anything happening in coaching or medical teams is the fact that the famous back four/five credit Wengers methods (yoga/stretching etc) with extending their careers into their late 30′s. For it to now be something internally means methods have to have changed.

I think it’s a basis for a post to see how many are impact injuries, and see if the feeling we have holds up to scrutiny.

I commented the other week that losing Gary Lewin and our club doctor to England could have been two of our biggest losses I was slightly tongue in cheek but it seems to get worse.

I wonder if we are reluctant to give cortisone injections, or do we give too many that cover injuries and make them worse.

114. Idaho Jim says:

Morning Guys, :-)

Kelsey, I am sure you have your own reliable sources regarding the Usmanov story.

I spent some time chatting about this on AA some time ago, and also on another site.

I had heard that, prior to selling his shares, Fizman had asked for an undertaking from Kroenke that he would not sell his shareholding for at least a year, in the hope that Usmanov would lose interest..

Given that Usmanov subsequently did not accept Kroenke’s buy out offer, and that Kroenke is a businessman interested in the main chance, I posited that he would indeed sell out to Usmanaov for a tidy profit, in due course.

What concerns me is that I have seen versions of what I wrote appearing on a number of sites. This may be because it has a strong element of truth. But equally, it is possible that a theoretical discussion has taken on a life of its own and become a self fulfilling prediction..

I hope not, for a number of reasons.

115. Gooner in Exile says:

Jim I hope you’re right.

I also hope that there was something in the deal that gives the sellers first refusal on buying back shares from Kroenke.

I am concerned that the Black Scarf Movement who are having a further protest on Saturday will drive the club further away from it’s traditions by giving Kroenke the push he needs to sell to Usmanov. But maybe I give them too much credit.

Jim,

nothing to do with sources,just a gut feeling.There is absolutely nothing to stop Kroenke selling his shares at a profit and the likliest person to buy would be Usmanov.
    I don’t know enough about kroenke except his isn’t called Silent Stan for nothing and appears to be very very careful as far as expebditure goes.
    People say this can’t be sustained in football(ala City) but i believe we are in for a world wide double dip recession which will take at least 5 to 7 years to get out of.
    I think a compromise solutin of joint ownership might be the answer.
    We have to face facts about financial stability and the reality of football in the top tier today .
    I would not lke to see the club have another period of experiments with a fanbase which only lives for instant success and a half empty state of the art stadium.
    I have to admit that Usmanov may be a better bet as times change and we have to accept them.
    the alternative is perhaps a mediocre season by our standards but it will gt harder to get into the top 3 let alone the top 4. (should have been a post)

us old un’s like dandan and myself have seen far worse times but where we disagree is that the football of today and the rewards can’t be compared to 40 odd years ago.

117. I said this the other day. Someone told me on Saturday the Usmanov will own the club within a year.

There’s a New Post ………….