Ask not what Arsenal can do for you, Ask what you can do for the Arsenal

Written by Gooner in Exile

This is a plea to all fans lucky enough to walk through the turnstiles at the Emirates this coming season. Since we moved there from our beloved Highbury, I can count on one hand the amount of times I wished I had been there rather than watching on TV or on the radio, those games are:

Liverpool 2008 when the crowd went ballistic against Howard Webb after sending off “he who shall not be named” with a second yellow, it was the first time I had heard the Emirates really rocking as the support got behind the team.

Spurs 2009 to have been there when Cesc nicked the ball straight from the restart and dancing round the defence before slotting home the second and sending the faithful into raptures.

Barca 2011 the atmosphere sounded incredible the result even better, that night the fans did something they so often don’t they made noise even though we weren’t winning, they were singing at 1-0 down coming in at half time, they were singing to the rafters as Arshavin came in to pass the winner into the net.

Personally I have been to one game where the atmosphere was memorable and that was Everton at home last season, again suffering an injustice the crowd made noise, pressured the ref, and lifted the team on to win in the second half.

This coming season I am worried more than ever about the lack of natural atmosphere in the Emirates.

To be quiet until given something to cheer or applaud is one thing, the growing prevalence of the boo boys (and girls) is another. I wrote a post last season about the growing moaners and groaners greeting every misplaced pass or shot, now I am asking that all who go to a home game go a little further, its time for everyone to unite in vocal support of our team.

By the way I should mention here that a long drawn out “SHOOOOOOOT” is not my idea of vocal support, if there is anything more ridiculous to be heard at a sporting venue I have not yet heard it, yes its more ridiculous than those teams in the Premier League that play a bit of music after every goal scored and the fans dance and singalong.

We need to create an atmosphere that not only lifts the players but also gives the players something to play for.

So how are we going to achieve this…….thats right what are WE going to do, no more excuses about it doesn’t feel like home, that the club don’t want an atmosphere that the stewards tell you to sit down. How many were standing for the last ten minutes against Barca, did you all get thrown out? No because they can’t they have no way of removing the whole end if you’re all standing and singing, its a football match they do expect it to happen.

The club gave us our Clock End back, and whilst the North Bank is not the same it can still be identified. So this is your mission if you find yourself sitting in the Clock End I ask you to stand on your feet, and sing loud and proud, you know the words:

“We’re the Clock End, We’re the Clock End, We’re the Clock End Emirates.”

Undoubtedly some around you will look at you like you’re the maddest fool ever to walk in the ground, but all you do is repeat again, louder if possible, and again. Now this is where your resolve will be tested trust me others want join in, they just don’t know it yet. If you still can’t get a response turn round make eye contact spread your arms wide and gesture to your fellow supporters that they might like to stand up and give you a hand in your stirring rendition. If at all possible make eye contact with the few that are singing with you and make sure they follow your lead in encouraging others to join in.

Hopefully if all goes to plan soon the whole of the Clock End will be singing and the North Bank (and RedAction) will have no choice to respond, if they choose not too I would suggest a rendition of “Can you hear the North Bank sing?” to get them stirred into action and try again with “We’re the Clock End.”

By the way I realise that I am asking that we include Emirates in the song, but if we haven’t accepted that is what our new home is called yet then we are stuck in the past unfortunately and I worry that we will never move on.

I know I am asking my fellow supporters to cast off the inhibitions but why should we care, we’re amongst friends, why should we feel we cannot express our love for the team in anyway we see fit. Its been five years since we moved to the Emirates its time we made it our home, its time we the fans built a fortress that other teams don’t like to come to and one that our team can’t wait to play in front of. The team needs us more than ever this season, I want them walking out feeling ten feet tall.

Whilst we’re discussing atmosphere we need some songs for the new additions, and a few for players who have not really been given songs unique to them. This lot either have boring songs (in my opinion) or no songs, time to get the thinking and lyrical caps on lads and lasses.

Aaron Ramsey

Jack Wilshere

Gervinho

Theo Walcott

Laurent Koscielny

Johann Djourou

Kieran Gibbs

Robin Van Persie

Bacary Sagna

133 Responses to Ask not what Arsenal can do for you, Ask what you can do for the Arsenal

1. London says:

Great post GIE

A passionate plea that all Arsenal supporters should take notice of.

2. Vishal, Bangalore says:

Aaron Ramsey, Aaron Ramsey,
    The ball at his feet, Defenders at sea.
    Ahoy!! Ahoy!! Full steam ahead!!
    Our Aaron Ramsey!

3. harry says:

GIE, a man after my own heart, sing loud and be proud, a gooner till i die……

The fans can make a difference, unfortunately there are too many that cannot see the wood for the trees…….

I read a comment from the independant arsenals supporters meeting with Big Ivan, that just tickled me…….

Supporter” Why are Arsenal not agressively pursuing a centre back?”

Ivan “How do you know we are not?>”

Quality, some people just need to calm down and relax, wengers found his wallet and is spending, so that is a positive and with all the possible injuries AOC might get a game on saturday, if the country isnt in total melt down………

Actually really positive about season, let them all write us off……

And watch us go………COYRRG

4. dandan says:

Sorry GIE. Very eloquent and heartfelt plea my friend.
    But I must disagree in part though I suspect I will be in the minority here again. yes by all means shout and sing but Stadia were made all seating for a very sound reason, good people died. So seats are made for sitting on. Many of us remember what a swaying crushing crowd was like, I like you am a big lad 6’1″ and at your age a fit 14 stone, still I was like a leaf in a brook when the crowd moved with a goal or a near miss. Tragedy was always just a stumble away
    Get behind the team, sing your hearts out if that is your thing, but don’t endanger others by flouting the rules.

5. Jenweya says:

A few years ago there was a competition for a new tune… i think it was about rvp, the season he got 20 goals. One was

*tune of ghostbusters*

If theres trouble on the field, who ya gonna call? VAN PERSIE!

Could put jack wilshere instead…

6. KennySansom says:

Brought a tear to my eye, GIE…

Anyone remember the old Subbuteo adverts??

Subbuteo! Oi! Oi! Oi! Oi!
    The champion game of all…(or something like that)

One possibility for Gervinho??

7. Gooner In Exile says:

Morning all, thanks for comments.

DanDan I agree about why sitting was introduced but it is frankly impossible to surge (except sideways) in an all seater. I am not suggesting we stand for 90 minutes but I am saying that it is possible to stand for a while as a group to get some atmosphere going.

I was thinking something along the tune of His Got the Whole World in his Hands for Gervinho:

He’s got the biggest forehead in the land
    Biggest forehead in the land…… :D

8. dandan says:

GIE, I respect your judgement and having never been to the Emirates would not wish to argue with your obvious experience.

Again though as an armchair fan the banking does appear steep and I have seen several articles levelling that criticism at Wembley, how do the two compare

9. goonermichael says:

Vishal. Are you a fan of Gilbert and Sullivan?

10. Gooner In Exile says:

DanDan depends if you’re in Upper or Lower, the Lower is safe, the Upper at the back would not be food for suggested of Vertigo.

In fact a friend of my Dads went with his wife and they were at the back of the Upper. Such I’d her fear of heights she could not take more than thirty minutes and asked to leave, as they were about to exit a steward asked if they were ok, they explained and the steward found them a pair of seats in the lower tier…..class act.

11. Gooner In Exile says:

Food for suggested = good for sufferers….damn iphone

12. Red Arse says:

Excellent Gee Up Post GIE, :-)

I cannot help but agree with everything you say, except, like Dandan has said, for the safety issues of the standing bit.

I agree the idea is a good one, in theory, for generating a feeling of togetherness for singing and support, especially as the seats at the Emirates are generously proportioned and a bit impersonal, but I wonder, from a practical viewpoint, if it would be a good idea for children and older people around such a group who might not be able to see?

Darn! I am beginning to sound like my dad!! :-)

13. RedMJ says:

Great post. Articulate and with passion. How do we get it out to those that don’t, won’t or can’t read AA cos otherwise it feels a bit like preaching to the converted (with the odd notable exception).

It’s a bit like telling mindless rioters that they are only destroying their own back yard – they just seem unable &/or unwilling to comprehend the damage they are doing to themselves.

14. Gooner In Exile says:

I know we shouldn’t discuss other Arsenal blogs so I will use a code name.

I am annoyed that the Lunatic Garden has the ear of the media:

Apparently we are ALL fuming that we’ve spent £15m on the Ox. Twitter reaction attests that not all Arsenal fans are fuming and in fact they are more disappointed that The Lunatic Garden has become our mouthpiece to the red tops.

Anyone know any media types where we can put across another PoV? Seems like as with the London Looting that the actions of the minority will tear apart the majority.

15. Gooner In Exile says:

RedMJ stick it on Twitter, FB wherever. Hopefully a few will drop by, but in fact I’m not sure I aim to convert the naysayers I want to galvanise the quiet majority into being a little bit more vocal.

16. Gooner In Exile says:

Harry I love that Q&A excerpt with Ivan.

RA stand the youngsters on the seats like we do at away games.

17. goonermichael says:

GiE
    The media have thier agenda and they will source anything that backs it up. They don’t usually give a damn about any fan sites/groups. I haven’t read LG today yet but I find it weird thet we’ve spent money on a 17 year oold. It’s not really what we need. We’ve got young players coming out of our ears. Has Ryo’s permint been turned down?

18. GusMcManus says:

What about Vermalen? We have no good song for him. this is to the tune of pop eye the sailor man.

Vermalen the Arsenal Man,
    Much better than Ferdinand.
    He’s strong to the finish,
    He pisses on Vidic
    Vermalen the Arsenal Man.

19. The BearMan says:

The Bear is ready to growl and dance if our Manager can do us one BiG favour, bring in a defensive coach even Martin Keown on a temporal basic. Arsenal can score goals, but our singing will soon turn glans when we see holes appearing at the back again.

Mr. Wenger you cannot do it all, bring in a little Help! During these desperate times, give us a temporary fix, let us see our beloved team compete an show some character week by week! Decent defenders yes, but also a decent defensive coach could make all the difference.

20. HateTheMancs says:

GiE – brilliant idea! Can I really stand up and sing loudly, on my own without a care? How much I would love to do that…..Maybe if I go on my own, I wouldn’t do it with 26 around, he’d get me sued for being sober and disorderly :)

Red Arse – ha, ha, ha, I am brain ‘death’ all right

Gus – I like it very much :)

21. Gooner In Exile says:

Gus I like that one.

I also like it when we all sing
    “Tommys Gonna Get Ya”

In that ner net ner ner playground way after he floors someone.

22. Andy says:

President Kennedy didnt realise you were re-incarnated!!! Lol

23. Gooner In Exile says:

Course you can Evonne you just have to make sure 26 hasn’t got his hand on your knee :)

24. HateTheMancs says:

GiE – on my throat more like it, I cannot sing to save my life :)
    How about this:
    to the same tune as Viera…….comes from Senagal…

Koscielny oooooh, Koscielny ooooooh,
    Laurent comes from France
    He won’t give Mancs a chance
    Koscielny oooooh……

?

25. Gooner In Exile says:

Now Evonne you told me he was Polish ;)

Not bad though I was thinking for Kozzer the tune of Rock the Casbah:

Laurent Koscielny
    He’s a Gooner, he’s a Gooner

Good post

If the fans get behind the team, win lose or draw, the atmosphere will improve and that stadium could be electric

We must support the team, its our club for heavens sake.

Wonderful rousing post GiE.

I think the singing is hampered by the design of the stadium to an extent. Aren’t a lot of the songs started by the brilliant away fans and then they are adopted by the Emiratasia!

On a side note, Newcastle (the city) seems quite a calm place at the moment, maybe our game will be one of the few to take place this weekend.

Incidentally, I think the purchase of Exox means that the Nasri deal is all but done.

29. goonermichael says:

We’re the yellow quadrant
    We’re the yellow quadrant
    We’re the yellow quadrant ashburton grove.

Grvinho oh oh
    Gervinho oh oh oh
    He hasn’t got a song
    Bet he don’t give a f**k

(i’m working on it)

30. mikee says:

Same old type of post.

even if I agree with it!

I think you wrote the same with the same article last year or almost.
    Come On face it! Wenger nurtured a talented young team with now players really keen to play their hearts out for arsenal, … but unlike barcelona, we never bought the couple of world-class players who would raise the level at the right time!
    man u is still looking stronger on the paper, and would arsenal have come back like they did in the community shield.. I hope so! but I doubt so!
    Now WTF Wenger is ready to selll Nasri to one of the manchester teams???????????

I hope he is ready to buy SNEIJDER in counterpart.

THE REAL QUESTION IS WHY CAN’T AW BUY FOR ONCE A PLAYER THAT YOU KNOW HE S GOING TO PROVIDE ?

and on top of that I think Sneijder could fill the steps of Bergkamp at Arsenal.

imagine him with Van Persie???

He definitely would suit better our type of game than the one at man u or man city or wherever in Premiership.

I really hope our team get stronger with a couple of real signings….

Because this year competition will be tougher thaan eveeer

Come ON ArsenaL!

31. WiganGooner says:

Hi all, wonderful post GiE.

I was only saying to ‘er indoors last week how much better it would be if we could stand. Unfortunately she didn’t really understand.

I’m quite beligerant about it and I generally stand until asked to sit, but mostly I manage to last most of the game as everyone around me stand up too.

But then, I only get to go when my friends in London get me a spare or whenever I can get tickets to see them oop north.

WG

32. WiganGooner says:

@Mikee

I love the idea of Sneider, but we will never sign him. In my opinion he costs too much money and Arsene doesn’t like big transfers, with big players, with big ego’s.

Plus, I think we’re covered in that role, even if we lose Nasri and Cesc, Arsene will buy Mata and that will be that.

I expect Mata and A N Other defender to be signed before August 31st.

I don’t expect Nasri or Cesc to be here, although I’d love to keep both I just can’t see it at the moment.

WG

33. ros says:

HIS QUICK HIS SLICK ,HIS BETTER THAN MODRIC JACK WILSHERE JACK WILSHERE 9(petits old song)

34. 26may1989 says:

Exile, great post that one. I’ve come to the view that the greatest threat to our success isn’t weak defending, disloyal players or complacement management; it’s the fans. Time for us to buck up our ideas in a big way, by contributing to the team’s success at games and stop constantly bleating about what we’re entitled to.

And now for some words I never thought I’d type: I disagree with Dandan (@9:53am)!

Many of us remember what the terraces were like before Hillsborough and the Taylor Report mandated all-seaters for top division clubs. Often fun, grubby and communal but occasionally dangerous, and once in a while fatal. They had to go. But there are safe seating stadia, in particular at the most fan-friendly football league in Europe, the Bundesliga in Germany.

There is a campaign to develop this new, safe version of standing (see http://www.safestandingroadshow.co.uk), and I think it would be fantastic if we saw those principles adopted here. It would help rebuild atmosphere, would likely increase numbers who could attend and would help offer fans cheaper tickets. If memory serves, Gazidis confirmed at the club’s Q&A that the topic is on his agenda.

35. mikee says:

@WiganGooner

Well I think Wenger and Arsenal will be financially strong to get Sneijder and his wages if we sell and Cesc and Nasri…

and thy would be greatly inspired to get him and not leaving one of the 5 best players in Europe actually…

But as Arsene knows, … We Fans know our manager is not seriously mounting a strong challenge with his team, he just prepares future. For that we have to thank him.

But I’m sorry, although I’m happy our team is prepared to mount the 21st century; MY FUTURE IS NOW!

36. 26may1989 says:

And by the way, I resemble any allegation that I touched Evonne’s knee, or any of her other joints. You’ll have noticed that Sharkey, the original purveyor of such scurrilous filth, now desists from such behaviour. I’m not saying I got my lawyers (Rarter-Cuck & Co) onto him, but his silence should tell you all you need to know…….

;)

37. Red Arse says:

26,

I know lawyers don’t speak English (UK or US) but; “And by the way, I resemble any allegation that I touched Evonne’s knee”.

In what way do you resemble this allegation or the knee? Explain, please?

38. 26may1989 says:

I’m bent?

39. HateTheMancs says:

26 – you are the funniest lawer I’ve ever met :)
    RA – sadly, he didn’t touch me :(

I have a song for AA, to the tune of ‘I wish they all could be Californian..’ :

‘I wish they all could be like Arshavin
    I wish they all could be like Arshavin
    I wish they all could beeeee like Andrey!!!

Brilliant, init?

40. HateTheMancs says:

GiE – they are ALL Polish when it suits me :) Koscielny, Jagielka, Andy Johnson and the Milliband brothers

41. HateTheMancs says:

Kelsey – I am not shocked, it was a timebomb ready to explode. There is a complete breakdown of society in London; I have lived here for more than 30 years and have never seen it so bad. Dog eats dog here, that’s all matters.

42. oz gunner says:

@ GiE

great post, arsenal fans must unite. The only thing worse than hearing the doom and gloom fans, is hearing them say “i told you so” as though they wanted us to lose just so they were correct. Makes me sick.

I don’t bleed red…i bleed red currant!!!

GiE
    Inspirational post!
    If the Ems crowd can stop the loud groaning over every mistake and actually start making some positive noise, maybe the lads will play as well at home as they do away from home.

Was your title inspired by Redders’ referencing of that famous JFK quote the other day?

44. Gooner In Exile says:

Quite like that one Evonne, Aaron Ramsey fits quite well

I wish they all could be Aaron Ramsey
    I wish they all could be Aaron Ramsey
    Repeat

45. Gooner In Exile says:

The post has been in mind for a while Rocky wanted to leave it as close to the start of the real business, and then you two were discussing along those lines and Redders did indeed give me the title.

46. allezkev says:

AFC.com report that Miyaichi has been granted his work permit…

47. goonermichael says:

みやいちさん おめでとうございます やったああああああああああああああ

48. Red Arse says:

Goonermichael,

どのように彼がAAを読んで知りましたか blog? :-)

49. Steve says:

Great post. Here’s my tuppence worth.

To the tune of Back in the USSR:
    Bacary Bac’ry Sagna
    Na na na na na na na na
    Bacary Bacary Bacary Sagna

To the base line of You Really Got Me:
    Lau-rent-Ko-sciel-ny
    Lau-rent-Ko-sciel-ny
    Lau-rent-Ko-sciel-ny
    Lau-rent-Ko-sciel-ny
    (repeat to fade, or do the whole 12-bar thing)

To the tune of Delilah:
    My, my, Aaron Ramsey
    My, my, Aaron Ramsey

I’ll get me coat.

50. dandan says:

If you want it to fit that John D, Ballad that I think Evonne is quoting…It probably needs to be something like. ……. I wish they all could play/be like Aaron Ramsey, needs the extra word, don’t you think.

51. Gooner In Exile says:

Evonnes doing Californian Girls by BeachBoys no?

Steve I need to YouTube the bassline and songs to which you refer.

I like the Aaron Ramsey one that’ll get right up the Stokie see you next Tuesdays noses.

52. Gooner In Exile says:

Steve that Aaron Ramsey to Delilah we need to add some bits for the next few lines and get that one out there I really like it, singing in my head now that’ll be fantastic.

53. harry671 says:

Micky @2.21……..absolutely our biggest Achilles heel is our fanbase…….they have an inate ability to suck any positivity out of the stadium and then unfurl the negativity blanket over the pitch…..
    Great news about ryo, just bag any half decent cb and confirm Joel Campbell and we will rock the premiership………

54. HateTheMancs says:

how about : we are all insaaaane on this bloggggg ….to any tune you like :)

Harry – did Ryo get work permit??

55. Ok I have used the original Delilah Lyrics and come up with something that scans I think.

My My Aa-ron Ramsey da da da da da
    My My Aa-ron Ramsey da da da da da
    We can see, that leg is back in one piece
    Now you’ll score goals and you’ll lead us to victory

Original
    My my my Delilah
    Why why why Delilah
    I could see, that girl was no good for me
    But I was lost like a slave that no man could free

56. Right you all need to record yourselves singing that, send peaches an email of the MP3 and she can forward it to me, and i’ll do a bit of Garage Band trickery to put it all together to sound like a crowd of us. Then we get it on YouTube and off to Twitter etc.

Well done Steve

57. HateTheMancs says:

GiE – no, that’s going too far, I am depressed, not completely mad. Not going to start recording Delilah, no fecking way, sorry

This song could apply to any of our want away players.

They’re Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa

Remember when you ran away and I got on my knees and begged you not to
    leave because I’d go berserk?? Well…
    You left me anyhow and then the days got worse and worse and now you see
    I’ve gone completely out of my mind.. And..

They’re coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
    They’re coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa
    To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I’ll be
    happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they’re
    coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!

You thought it was a joke and so you laughed, you laughed when I had said
    that loosing you would make me flip my lid.. RIGHT???
    I know you laughed, I heard you laugh, you laughed you laughed and
    laughed and then you left, but now you know I’m utterly mad… And..

They’re coming to take me away, ha-haaa,
    They’re coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa.
    To the happy home. With trees and flowers and chirping birds and basket
    weavers who sit and smile and twiddle their thumbs and toes and they’re
    coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!

I cooked your food, I cleaned your house, and this is how you pay me back
    for all my kind unselfish loving deeds.. Huh??
    Well you just wait, they’ll find you yet and when they do they’ll put you
    in the ASPCA, you mangy mutt!!! And…

They’re coming to take me away, ha-haaa.
    They’re coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa.
    To the funny farm, where life is beautiful all the time and I’ll be happy
    to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they’re coming
    to take me away, ha-haaa!!!
    To the happy home, with trees and flowers and chirping birds and basket
    weavers who sit and smile and twiddle their thumbs and toes and they’re
    coming to take me away, ha-haa!!!
    To the funny farm, where life is beautiful all the time… (fade out)

Hey, buddy!
    Yes officer..
    You a head?
    No, but I’m catching up, ha ha ha….

original recording by Napoleon XIV

59. harry says:

Yes HTM Ryo got his work permit………

60. The plot thickens:

Nasri and Cesc in the squad for CL Qualifier

61. But Arsene has used the dreaded words:

“We are absolutely delighted that Ryo has been granted a work permit.

“This is almost like a new signing for us, as we weren’t completely sure we would be given the authorisation.

“Ryo has worked extremely hard in pre-season and performed very well during the matches in Asia, Germany and Portugal.”

62. Nik B’s in the squad too….has AW masterminded some crazy plan where the whole of the footballing world believes we’re in disarray but actually all is set to come up roses as everyone stays and a CB is signed?

63. harry says:

Not bad GIE, but needs to be catchier……not sure why you have not used why why why on second line helps the tune flow…………

My My My Aaron Ramsey,
    Why Why Why Aaron Ramsey,
    Oh so impressed with Arsenal, he said Man U was no good for me,”
    He said yes to the boss and no to fergie…………

I’ll get my coat as well

64. harry says:

I just want the Nasri / Fabregas issues sorted, not bothered either way now…….

65. harry says:

Rasp, Think you need to add returnees from Loans under your ins for the season, Ryo is a definite addition to the squad……..

66. harry says:

GIE, I actually hope that Nik B stays, but he seemingly is off………

67. critic says:

gr8 post, but not usual high no. of comments. SAD.

68. harry says:

Early Line up for Newcastle: Assumption that all injuries cleared up:

Szczesny

Sagna Koscienly Vermaelen Gibbs

Song Wilshere

Walcott Van Persie Arshavin

Gervinho

Subs:

Fabianski, Jenkinson, Frimpong, Ramsey, AOC, Ryo, Djourou….

Fancy them smashing the barcodes…….

69. Gooner In Exile says:

RvP in the hole….interesting. Think I’d actually stick Theo up top, let the three of AA Gerv and RvP rotate and find space and holes.

The way you have it there really is no need for the back four or Song to join in as much as they do. Can’t see Pardew putting out ultra defensive in first home game.

70. gunnern5 says:

Outside a lunatic asylum one day
    Arsene Wenger was plying his trade
    When up popped a lunatic who said to him
    Good morning Gunner Wenger
    How much a day do you get for doing that?
    Fifty quid, he replied
    He looked at him with a lot of glee
    And here is what he cried

Come. inside, you silly bugger, come inside
    I hoped you had a bit more sense
    Working for the Arsenal, take my tip
    Act a little crazy and become a lunatic
    You get 3 points quite regular
    And the odd trophy beside
    What for Fifty quid a week
    And ungrateful fans to please

Come inside, you silly bugger, come inside

Some of you may know the original by Spike Milligan – only names and circumstances have been changed.

71. London says:

GIE

Lovin that 8:26

72. London says:

Do you remember when we played a qualifier in the CL and Rayes was on the bench desperate to get a move to Real Madrid, I can’t remember who the opposition were but Rayes had absolutely no intention of coming on.

73. London says:

Ooooh we can play guess the line up again, I love this game.

—————Szcznesy

Sagna, Koscielny, Vermaelen, Gibbs

—–Ramsey, Song, Wilshere

—-Gervinho, RvP, Arshavin

The thing is if Nasri is fit I can’t see how Wenger can leave him out.

That team would destroy the bar codes.

74. harry says:

London it was against Dinamo Zagreb in 2006/07…..I see the same situation, but can we afford to name 2 subs that wont play?

GIE,

To be honest the complete top 4 can rotate, happy with GMan out wide and Theo up top……..As usual we are all so interchangeable……….

75. HateTheMancs says:

GiE – the fact that both Cesc and Samir are included in the squad means nothing, they could still be sold. If they were not included, then we would have our answers, for now all we have is faith and silly songs

76. VCC says:

GIE = 8:45. I’m with you here, I would give Theo several games up front, imo I think he would do well in this position especially with AA/RvP/Gerv/ just behind, with AA and Gerv traxking back with Ramsey and Song in the middle. Sagna Vermaelen Kos Traore.
    Then we have Jack (when fit)/oxlade/rosicky/Diaby/DjourouGibbs/Chamakh/Lansbury as back up.
    Send a taxi for Nasri and Fabregas, pack them off to the airport and lets move on.

Hello VCC
    I’d love to see Theo getting a run-out up front. We have enough players who are capable of playing killer through balls – then his speed and finishing could really come into play.

Evening,

I think the inclusion of Nasri and Cesc in the CL is a very clever bluff/ploy to force their respective suitors to come up with a sensible offer. This way, if the buying clubs are serious, they will have to conclude their business early and so give Arsenal the time to secure the new signings it will fund.

79. Mr London you’re on a roll :D

80. VCC says:

Hi Rocky.
    Looking forward to the week end and Saturday evenings game, especially as I have just received ESPN upgrade for free. San Miguels in the fridge ready.
    I’m sick to the back teeth over this Nasri/Fabregas saga.
    Can we blame Nasri for wanting to double his weekly salary considering the lack of activity/ambition Arsenal have shown in the summer period? If my Son was lucky enough to be in his boots I think I would say the same, considering a footballers life can be short. Fabregad, well he has been a great player for us but I’m afraid to say his body language tells me he does not want to be at the Emirates any longer. We should pick ourselves up sell them both and move on the best we can. Fingers crossed we might still surprise one or two this season (hopefully)

81. London says:

Rasp

I was going to say which of the two do you think will play in the first leg of the CL, my hunch was that Nasri was going to be pushed on but I have just realised that he is banned for the first leg.

82. Wigan Gooner – I need to email you but I’m not sure which of your email addresses to use, can you email me using your preferred one please ;)

83. London – Camberwell Gooner had submitted a post a couple of days ago, is it ok with you to use his tomorrow?

Thanks for helping out this morning xx

Hi London,

I think Nasri will go to City and they will secure the deal before the CL qualifier – with their sort of money it would be ridiculous to let him play if they really want him.

Cesc is a much more interesting situation. It really seems that he is more of a political signing than a football necessity. They don’t really need him and may suspect that he is a bit of a crock. If they do buy him for £40m and he becomes a bench player they will get stick from their own fans (who apparently aren’t that bothered) They bought TH when he had a chronic back condition that meant he could only use his pace sparingly and was only half the player he had been for Arsenal.

When you look at it, we’ve won almost every hand of ‘player poker’ that we’ve played with Barca – and they’re still trying – laughable really.

85. London you have just made me realise that RvP is banned too? :cry:

86. London says:

Hmmm, I still can’t see Nasri going to City; of course I could be wrong there was that one time in 1987 but that was just a glitch. lol

That said, if Nasri went and Cesc stayed I would be over the moon as they say in football parlance.

87. London says:

“Player poker” I just thought about it, that’s a clever term.

88. SharkeySure says:

Cracking read GiE.

Evening all

Night all

89. London says:

Hope you are well Sharkey.

90. I will be appalled if Nasri goes to citeh, it can never acceptable for a player that would definitely start for us to go another Premiership club ……………………

I think City need Nasri as much as Barca need Cesc (= not a lot!) and they are paying the price for glory buys in the form of Adebayor, Santa Cruz and several others on impossibly high wages that won’t move on to take a pay cut. However, I think their disregard for the value of money (100m for Kaka) means they will press ahead and buy Nasri.

92. Can i buy tickets in the Family Enclosure even if i’m not accompanied by a JG or Senior Citizen?

93. Answer soon will be good as I’m trying to book a reasonable price ticket for Swansea Home, if not I’m gonna go on Ticket Exchange fort a ticket for Liverpool game, can you believe people are giving their tickets away on Exchange for first home game?

94. London says:

Has anyone else noticed how that signing of AOC has becalmed the blog world?

It has just shut people like Ghost Face and Spectrum up completely they have got nothing to moan about and as they don’t know how to say anything good about Arsenal they are flummoxed. I know AOC is not the defender that everyone was hoping for but the doomers can’t be sure now that a new CB is not on the way.

I love that question to Gazidis: well you have brought another attacking midfielder why didn’t you buy a CB.

Answer: what makes you think we won’t?

Love it.

I paraphrase of course.

London,

The row between Nasri and AW on the plane suggests a breakdown in the relationship bewteen the two. I never thought we’d turn down 20m+ now and let him go on a free but I would put a 5m premium on the price if he wants to stay in the prem = 22m to city or 17m to Inter

96. GiE – I’m pretty certain you can’t just buy tickets in the Family enclosure. I think I tried it once and it didn’t work.

97. Oh by the way a song for AOC.

“The Ox The Ox The Ox is on Fire”

To the tune of Roof on Fire natch

Evening peaches, are the fires still burning on the horizon?

99. London says:

I wondered what on earth you were talking about then GIE, Swansea? Has the CC draw been made already. And then the penny dropped doh.

Night, night.

Hello 26 when you come on at 3am.

100. Bugger to be honest not sure I want to sit in their and try to get everyone singing anyway :D

I’ll check with wife in morning then I’m booking tickets for Liverpool through the Exchange.

101. London says:

Wow, do you think that row actually happened? I have not been sure whether to believe it or not.

102. London says:

I must go, see ya.

103. 2 club level for Liverpool anyone? £229 each on Exchange but they are together.

104. i’m off ski too, frovelling time, night all

Who knows, it was widely reported and for some reason seems believable. I get the impression that Nasri is quite immature – the long standing feud with Gallas wasn’t exactly professional.

106. frovelling = grovelling, but you knew that

107. Hi Rasp – apparently the locals in Enfield are fighting back or at least were up for being present on the streets.

108. Rasp – I’ve put Camberwell Gooners post in drafts. You must’ve been snoozing all evening ;) I’m going to bed, nite all

Yes peaches, vigilanteism is breaking out widely because the police are perceived as not having done enough to protect businesses. Apparently in Enfield, some far right extremists took the opportunity to attack the looters – which also leaves a bit of a bad taste.

110. 26may1989 says:

An early evening for me on AA – but thanks London!

Anyone seen the news of Millwall fans protecting Eltham High Street? http://twitpic.com/63k6tg

Though their version of “protecting” doesn’t seem to exclude a pint or two……

I’ve done some work on CG’s post peaches.

112. Wonderman says:

Very good post GIE

113. Gooner In Exile says:

26 can’t say I’m not worried by that pic, have to wonder if they’re just looking for a scrap, have just read some of Nick Griffins Twitter timeline, he is an odious little **** and he is using this to spout absolute poison. And he is giving plaudits to Millwall fans and having a pop at the Police for stopping them.

114. GiE
    I bought a ticket in the family enclosure for the game against Celtic in the CL. That was the most swearing I’d heard at the Emirates.

115. Gooner In Exile says:

:D GM

Morning all,
    I’m really not clear in my mind how to value Cesc. How does his apparent injuryness impact his value?
    Also on the Cesc/Nasri fiasco, I kept hearing there was unrest in the camp last season and I can’t help thinking Nasri may have been the culprit.
    Keeping Cesc and Nic (only played CF) and signing a Cahill/Jag/Subotic and I would be happy. Would still like a 6’+ DM but hey ho.

26,
    “Though there version of “protecting” doesn’t seem to exclude a pint or two…”. (-:

It appears that with the introduction of the loathesome Nic Griffin mob, we are in a win win situation. Both sides can kick many bells out of each other. In place of the Wembley friendly, perhaps rounding up both sides and selling Gladiator style spectator tickets could raise cash for the clear up. Then for a Grand Finale, choppers would swing by and drop in the SAS for a final tidy up. Oh how the crowd would enjoy themselves.

119. London says:

Micky

Will there be a familly enclosure? Lol

London,
    No, not with the likes of the 6’3″ GiE sneaking in on the cheap!
    And morning.

121. London says:

So having foolishly just scanned the BBC gossip column and NN I have found that Nasri and Fabregas are likely to leave. According to Chamakh these deals will happen as soon as Wenger has identified replacements.

This does conjure a funny image: I can picture Wenger frantically looking down a list of players names because after all it would never have crossed his mind to do so before.

And morning Micky.

122. Gooner In Exile says:

London you have such a great tone of damning these idiotic reports.

123. HateTheMancs says:

GiE – but he is right, AW has probably been preparing for it since last year.

Micky – 6’3″ GiE sneaking in :) that made my day

124. WiganGooner says:

Break out the rubber bullets, the little shits won’t be able to run away with a broken kneecap will they.

Its a win-win.

WG

Wigan,
    Rubber bullets?
    You old softie!

126. HateTheMancs says:

And what should be done about the cops that lied that Duggan shot at them and the bullet was in the radio??? The looters have no respect for police, but respect has to be earned, it is not a given. I think the looting is a disgrace, but so are the police.

Evonne,
    It has absolutely nothing to do with Duggan. The looters have no respect for anyone or anything.
    Sorry, but this will have to be my last comment on the subject. My bad for bringing it up on a Footie/Accounting Blog.

128. Gooner In Exile says:

Where’s the dance emoticon?

See you all at The Tavern on 20 Aug

Morning all,

New post ……..

130. new lyrics says:

new lyrics…

[...]Ask not what Arsenal can do for you, Ask what you can do for the Arsenal « Arsenal Arsenal[...]…

131. adofojeffren says:

please i want the arsenal board to sign gotze

132. adofojeffren says:

please wenger i don’t u to leave rrvp and sign m’villa

133. adofojeffren says:

i love arsenal done mymelf