Pure joy and life before Arsène

I watched the highlights of the Fairs cup of 1970 again last night on Arsenal player, was that really 40 years ago? I can remember that spring night as though it was yesterday.

For 11 years, ever since leaving school and starting our apprenticeships, my mates and I had stood in all weathers and shouted ourselves hoarse, as we won nothing. The modern-day supporter sitting in his comfortable seat, complaining of 6 years without a trophy. Would not believe the conditions we endured standing in all weathers.  Toilets? Do me a favour a wall, a trough and what was basically an open sewer was good enough for us.

Two managers had departed in that time, George Swindon our ex goalkeeper, had been followed by Billy Wright, ex Captain of Wolves and England, in his first attempt at club management, a universally acknowledged  nice guy, he was married to one of the Beverley Sisters a well-known female singing trio, who sat together every Saturday in the front of the East Stand dressed in identical Red And White outfits.

Billy never won anything for all his hard work and with his health suffering under the pressure,  he resigned in 1966. But the legacy he left,  was a  core of young players 6 of whom would be part of the first double winning side.

His replacement Bertie Mee, previously the team physio, was a major disciplinarian and hated by most of the players, he was anything but a track suit manager, cleverly leaving the coaching to the talented Dave Sexton before he left to manage Chelsea, then Done Howe and Steve Burtenshaw. It was Mee who moved Mclintock from right half to centre half and begun to shape the team that was destined to earn a permanent place in Arsenals history.

Two league cup final appearances at Wembley were to be reached and lost in 68 and 69. firstly against our archenemies at that time, Leeds Utd. A team loaded with skilful internationals, but ruthless and cynical under the leadership of Manager Don Revie and his on field lieutenants Billy Bremner and Johnny Giles. Matches between the two teams over the next ten years were no place for the faint hearted as we refused to be intimidated by them and adopted the same do or die attitude.

The ’69 debacle was even worse, on a Wembley pitch so badly cut up by the show jumping at the horse of the year show staged there a week previously amid torrential rain showers, that it now resembled a bogey ploughed field.

The team most of whom had been laid low by a flu like virus in the week prior to the game, were run ragged in the heavy conditions, by third division Swindon Town and a tricky little winger called Don Rodgers, who deservedly won  3-1 after extra time.

So all that baggage, expense and heartache was in the long-suffering supporters minds as we stood and watched the players run out on that May evening in 1970, to a morass not dissimilar to that Wembley horror.  But this time an hour and three quarters later it was all worth it.

Eddie Kelly one of the graduates from the reserves, a sort of Scottish Little Jack, scored to make it 1-0 at half time, John Radford then powered home a typical Raddy header and minutes later Jon Sammels so often the butt of the Arsenal boo boys, settled it,  hitting a sweet 20 yarder across the keeper  into the back of the net,  Highbury went mad and at the final whistle.  I and thousands of others sang and danced on the waterlogged pitch, our shoes filled with muddy water and we couldn’t give a monkeys, after 17 trophyless years, we had a pot.

The hoodoo was broken, allowing across the years, doubles and cups to follow. Bertie Mee’s reign lasted until 1976, since when he has been succeeded  by 7  managers or  caretaker managers, including the enigmatic George stroller Graham and the 1-0 to the Arsenal days. Before the arrival of Arsène  and his marvelous Wengerball, immaculate pitches and eventually a proud new modern stadium and training facilities.

But it all started, when Anderlecht were put to the Sword and a 3-1 away defeat was overturned on a rainy floodlit evening of unbelievable joy, at the famous old ground, that not even the first leg of the double on another wonderful night away at the Lane could equal.

Written by dandan

91 Responses to Pure joy and life before Arsène

1. London says:

A very enjoyable read as always Dandan; I was too young to remember the Anderlecht games but having become familiar with your writing over the months and having read the post carefully I am starting to get a sense of the scale of achievement involved in overturning a 3-1 away first leg defeat. You guys must have been in seventh heaven that night.

2. Ben says:

Brilliant, I am still a fan of Arsene’s, but he is not synonymous with the club. There was life before him and there will be after. My memories start with Charlie Nicholas in the flesh, but with 1886 – 1986 on video. Funnily, that particular history did not mention Arsene, very strange…

As you know dandan it was my first favourite night since following Arsenal.One must mention Ray Kennedy, a fledging who came on towards the end of the first leg and scored to give us that glimour of hope for the second leg.

4. WiganGooner says:

Fantastic Article DanDan,

A great read and an interesting insight into what it was like on that night. Unfortunately I was only a twinkle in my father’s eye at that point.

WG

5. evonne says:

Marvellous stuff! Thanks Dandan

I’d swap soft seats and luxurious toilets with the tai chi style hand dryers, for the old standing Highbury, muddy pitch, the atmosphere, the rain. I can almost feel it, you described it so well.

6. gunnern5 says:

dandan,

We may well have stood next to each other peeing in the troughs at Highbury.

I’m sitting here looking at my programme (cost two shillings) from the 1969 final and I remember just how low I felt after the game sitting alone on the tube on my way home. I thought our years in the wilderness were going to be over – but we had to wait another year.

I’d been supporting for 23 years before we won the Fairs cup and in that 23 years we won just 2 League titles and one FA Cup plus a couple of charity shields so for me 1970 was a year to stand tall and proud as an Arsenal supporter.

When I listen to and read today’s diatribe about 6 years without a trophy I am aghast and wonder if today’s supporters have been so spoiled by their mum’s (AW) that they expect everything to be handed to them on a plate.

As cold and wet as I was standing under the clock for all those years without a sniff of a trophy I never gave up on my team – after all they were the ARSENAL…………

Thanks for stirring up the memories.

7. Exiled Gooner says:

Great night many tears were shed. But You glossed over the fans boycott that effectively got rid of Billy Wright. Lets all hope that isn’t needed again. no players are bigger than the club but likewise no manger is either. In the days of Mee, Neil, Graham we had little money but we were all united cos we signed who we could get – the Groves,Hayes, Alinsons, Dixons but when available money wasnt left diminishing in value due to some strange whim of the manager that only untried work permit less youngsters are worth signing for millions – you dont have to sign superstars but a full sized squad of experienced pros is clearly essential at the top of the EPL.

Great read dandan, thank you.
    My first game was ’73, so it is always night to read first hand accounts from that era by “Grown Ups”. :-)
    Ultimately nothing really changes. As you say, there were the “boo boys” back then, and still the happiest night of many fans was as the result of winning silverware.
    Life in general is now more materialistically orientated, and the “Sky” football era merely mirrors that. Sometimes I do envy aspects of some mates’ lives who follow clubs around me like Plymouth, Torquay and Exeter, but, once a Gooner always a Gooner.

Super stroll down memory lane again thanks dandan,

Billy Wright used to come into my work with Joy Beverley in his later years – the poor bugger could never get a word in edgeways. She thought she was the star attraction, but her achievements were nothing compared to his. I used to talk football with him and he still had a keem perception and wicked wit.

10. goonermichael says:

Fantastic post. How fantastic to have seen that. Puts some of the whinging from fans today into perspective. If you don’t have the lows you won’t have the highs. all the mancs i know are miserable gits.

11. Gooner in Exile says:

Great read DanDan.

I wonder how security would react to a pitch celebration if we were to wu something next season? I’ll lead it from the front as long as there are a few behind me.

12. V.C.C. says:

I was there that night of the Fairs Cup win. I was with Geoff Strong (Alias not real one), we got lost in the stampede onto the pitch. Fantastic feeling when you win something, lets all hope next year is a new era of wins for THE ARSENAL.

13. Hi Guys and Guyesses, :-)

Another blog has reported that AW has had an interesting interview with a French radio station and I have pinched a bit of it to report to you! :-)

“When questioned on possible future transfers, Wenger said that decisions made on buying or selling players will not be rushed, as clubs still have two months before the transfer window shuts.

“We are in a waiting period, everybody is waiting that the other [club] moves,” he told Alsace TV.

“It is a transfer period. Everybody has their cards in [their] hands, hoping for the big transfer. There is nothing moving yet. The period will me more active at the end of July when we will need to really strengthen the team.

“There is always pressure, England is the hardest championship in the world, some teams have more money than us. We have to accept it and do the maximum.

“We decided to respect some rules in our club, especially on the financial side in an environment that does not respect that. We respect [the] quality of the game and human quality too. It means it is harder for us when you respect these three topics.

“We live exactly in the way everybody should, with a balance between revenues and expenses. I think we should be seen as an example and it is often not the case. We have been very constant for many years now.”

Wenger continued to stress that Arsenal are very close to fulfilling their potential as a team and he believes that only injuries have kept them from claiming an elusive league title.

He continued: “I think we were very near to winning the championship. The problem was that we were playing a lot of competitions together and we physically paid it in the final sprint.”

So there you have it. Not much is going to happen, transfer wise, for another month, it appears!

He could have told us directly!!

Hi RA,

Pretty much what I said in my post on Tuesday … we have to wait because the power lies in the hands of others :)

15. Hi Rasper, :-)

Very true O Omniscient one! :-)

It is an understandable comment from the Professor regarding transfer timings, but it makes one wonder about the insistent rumours circulating about Gervinho, Cahill and Alvarez being imminently transferred, and what about the effect of such late transfers on the pre-season training and trips to China and Malaysia?

No! On second thoughts it is less than understandable why transfers are being left so late, unless, as you imply, we are not masters of our own destiny.

16. Gooner in Exile says:

I love AA23

“the new away kit will make us look like jockeys”

Well Andrei you are all definitely the right height and weight :D

RA,

We are not masters of our own destiny when it comes to the ‘big players’ whether in or out. If we can compete on buying/selling price, we cannot compete on wages.

RA,

I agree le boss’ statement on transfer timings is understandable but it is contrary to what he (or was it Gazidis?) said about getting the transfers sorted early. It seems no-one wants Denilson, Bendtner or Eboue, but many are vying for Cesc, Nasri and Clichy – I wonder why?

19. Rasp,

I have no doubt why other clubs are after the latter trio. Altho’ we were surprisingly naive allowing Nasri and Clichy to run their contracts down.

With regards to Denilson and Eboue I suppose others share the common view, (held by many) that they are not fit for EPL purposes.

With regard to Bendy (sorry, GIE) most (all) of the lower clubs who might take a punt on him probably think his salary is a bit too rich for them – literally. But I don’t mind if he stays tho’. :-)

20. goonermichael says:

I don’t believe injuries cost us the title last year.

RAtMyAnW, (can’t you just go back to RA? :? )

I think with Bendy it’s not just the wages, he wants to go to a big club, preferably in the CL. I can’t see him being happy as a makeweight for the Cahill deal to Bolton – can you? His confidence/ego is part of what makes him and I think it may also be an obstacle to him moving on. He craves first team football but not in a lower half prem team.

22. Red Arse says:

You have a point Rasp.

Bendy might have to bite the bullet and make the choice;
    — stay at Arsenal, and fight for his place as No.1; or
    — go to whichever club makes an offer for him, in whichever league.

Not exactly falling over themselves for him at the moment tho’.

23. Red Arse says:

GM,

Most of us were bitterly disappointed at the breakdown of first team morale last season. (Lack of mental strength, according to some).

No doubt injuries and tiredness played their part, but that applies to all clubs, so it is not really too justifiable, is it?

Although AW did not say that (about injuries) in his interview, to be fair, he said the players were tired fighting on so many fronts, in a number of competitions cost us in the end.

But then he would say that, wouldn’t he?

RA,
    That all kind of translates as “our squad is not good enough” innit! Fair point I think :-)

25. dandan says:

Sky say Nasri is going to Manchester city for 20 million quid. and 180 thousand pounds a week

Do all you cricketists get off on tennis. Me, can’t wait for tomorrow’s semi’s.

27. Red Arse says:

Dandan,

Having come onto the site a bit late today, it was remiss of me not to commend you on an extremely well written and interestingly nostalgic Post. Excellent! :-)

Being there is what makes both the players AND the fans part of history, and leaves those who were lucky enough to be there with happy memories, which they will have for the rest of their lives, to the envy of those of us who weren’t there! :-)

28. Red Arse says:

Micky,

I read that a number of criketists ‘getting off on tennis’ were arrested by the police at Wimbledon last week!

RA,
    Was Rasp involved?

Did you know, they have two cells in the basement of Centre Court?

31. Red Arse says:

Dandan,

The moment Nasri and his agent started the ‘we will sort out the contract later’ dance, he was a gonner, not a Gooner.

His contract negotiations with us when we bought him were also extremely prolonged/protracted and was all about money.

He is clearly someone who is nakedly in pursuit of the highest buck, (which won’t come from us) and frankly there is a part of me that understands that, but, as a fan, I can only wish he sorts it out quickly, and ———- f*cks off!

32. Red Arse says:

I don’t know Micky, perhaps he will tell all! Altho’ I noted your, as yet unassuaged, desire to get to the semis tomorrow.

I did not know that there are two cells in the basement of the Centre Court, perhaps there is one for each of you!! :-)

33. Red Arse says:

Right! having boosted the comments count, a bit, I’m off. Ta ra! :-)

34. Red Arse says:

Just read a really amusing report in the Guardian, and present it below for your ineluctable delight (I hope)!

THE GREAT EMIRATES SALE?

Last month Arsene Wenger promised to be “very active” in the summer transfer market and, as ever, the avuncular Frenchman is proving as good as his word. Because over the past week he’s been actively flogging most of his best players to anyone with a chequebook.

Gael Clichy looks like being the first out of the Emirates’ crazily whirling revolving door, with the left-back apparently likely to join former Gunners Kolo Toure and Emmanuel Adebayor at Manchester City, as Garry Cook continues his blanket policy of signing every Francophone footballer Wenger makes available.

Still, there’s a strong business case for his signing – just look at the fantastic success City have had with their recent recruitment of international left-backs Wayne Bridge (£10m, 2009), Aleksandar Kolarov (£16m, 2010) and Jerome Boateng (£10.5m, 2010). It’s basically a no-brainer. Pretty soon Saudi Arabia will have no oil left and all they’ll have to show for it will be an enormous collection of ageing Alderley Edge-based full-backs that nobody else wants. Why not sign a few more while you’re at it, eh, Garry? We hear Paul Konchesky’s available.

Then there’s Cesc Fabregas, for whom life since leaving Barcelona has been one long quest to rejoin Barcelona and appears finally, 1,339 newspaper stories later (really, we looked it up), to be approaching his goal. And finally there’s Manchester United-bound Samir Nasri, for whom the prospect of joining Ashley Young and Nani in a posse of vaguely similar players assembled Lord Ferg for no obvious purpose trumps an improved contract and the promise of being a key cog in Wenger’s well-oiled (until March) footballing machine.

What on earth will Ferguson do with Nasri in Manchester? The suspicion remains that he is putting together some kind of physically-slight but impressively skilful boy band with which he will enter next year’s Britain’s Got Talent, one of the few trophies which has eluded him during his 25 years at Old Trafford. Once in front of the judges they will dance enthusiastically to this Status Quo collaboration while performing lollipops at jaw-dropping speed. Which is more than what’s left of the Arsenal squad will be doing next season.

Good question in the final para!! :-)

35. Gooner in Exile says:

Haha RA.

Okay Nasri can go that’s £20million in the bank and a years of salary (£50k per week?) added to the transfer kitty, same for Clichy and £35m for Cesc plus four years of salary (£100k per week?).

That’s approximately £100m conservatively on top of any transfer kitty already available. That is a war chest to add some real talent to the squad and retain some of the players we thought would be the makeweight.

Clichy and Nasri will have more of an issue building bridges with the fans after making want away noises regular first teamers who fell short. As would Denilson as his perceived underperformance and claim he wants away for the chance to win the trophies.

I would guess Bendtner would be forgiven as we can all see he wants first team football, we would also forgive Cesc as we know why he wants to go “home”.

36. dandan says:

If its true they are going, we will have fun with the fans who want us to buy Messi and his ilk. :-) Next season will be interesting I feel.

They wanted a clear out they got a clear out :-)

37. Red Arse says:

Hi GIE,

I have a certain sang froid about these rumoured/potential transfers.

Like you, I have been keeping a mental tally of the affect these ‘outgoing’ players transfer fees will have on our transfer treasure chest. (Silent Stan won’t syphon the money off will he? — No, no, perish the thought!) :-)

These guys did not win anything for us last season — so bollocks to them– let’s see if we can’t buy some other skilfull and more resolute characters who will!! :-)

38. Red Arse says:

Dandan,

That’s still a big ‘if’ regarding the clear out.

Denilson’s agent is now saying that there has been no talk of him leaving Arsenal. (No one wants him?) :-)

Anyway, I believe whatever happens the Board and Arsene will continue on their prudent way, despite what some fans are demanding.

Have you noticed how some of the more vocal are extremely profligate with someone else’s money? — “They are billionaires — they can afford £200 million!” — and variations on a theme.

Some of these guys have lost touch with reality.
    What do you suppose would be their reaction if someone told them, as fans, to “fork out twice as much as the face value of your season ticket next season — you can afford it — with the extra cash the club could afford to buy new goal posts which would look much sexier on TV!”
    Of course, they would be only too happy to do so —— I don’t think!!

39. dandan says:

Have just texted my son, his club will be known in future as Manchester Arsenal. What price we take Adabarndoor back as part of the fee… With no Gallas or Nasri he might want to come home :-) would we have him, Within our salary plan of course

40. Red Arse says:

Really a gone Gooner, now.

41. Red Arse says:

Zut alors, Dandan! :-)

Pleez — do not zay thees, even as a jokke — la plume de ma tante – ‘ow you zay thees in English — ah yes — she is a trembling!!

A demain, mon ami!

42. dandan says:

RA Wonder if Rasp is mulling over his tea leaves or casting bones, Now is the time for a what will our side look like for our first CL qualifier in a few weeks. Article.

43. Red Arse says:

Stop drawing me back Dandan! :-) My spreadsheet is calling to me.

I think that the crystal ball gazing about our first CL qualifier team would be the bare bones of a very good article for someone brave enough or foolish enough to embark on it!

Always provided the Rasper and Micky have been released from the Centre Court dungeons in good time — allegedly! :-)

Hope to chat tomorrow. Bye now.

Hi dandan,

I can’t stop as I’m just off to cricket nets.

The answer is that I feel sick to my stomach. The prospect of losing our best players and keeping those we want to sell because no-one wants to buy them is a nightmare scenario.

We are indeed unique in the footballing world – a top four club that is a feeder club for the other top four clubs. Talk of us spending £100m on players is completely delusional.

45. goonermichael says:

Bendtner and clichy need to be loaned out if we can’t sell them.

46. dandan says:

Rasp Time for us to get on the front foot and play down the line. We will have an influx of guys who want to be winners and who combined with the best of our young players will suprise you,

You should know better than most that bumpers only bother those with no bottle. We will duck those and come at em, you wait and see.

47. Irishgunner says:

I’d happily give Cesc and Nasri a piggy back from London to Barcelona and Manchester if Wenger signed Schweinsteiger. Him alongside Jack in midfield would be amazing – skill and fight.

dandan,

you of all people don’t believe these rumours :)

we will fight them on the beaches …. etc

49. TotalArsenal says:

DanDan, thank you for a great historic post again :) If you continue like this, I will know all about the ‘Arsenal pre-Bergkamp years’ in no time. Cheers mate.

50. TotalArsenal says:

Hi Irish, nice to see back here again. It is not the first time you have mentioned Schweinsteiger as the ideal midfielder for us. I don’t know him that well. The few times I saw him playing for Bayern, I thought he was ok, but he did not really stand out. What do you like about him?

51. Irishgunner says:

I’m just saying I’d not be adverse to letting Cesc and Nasri go if we got Schweinsteiger :)

52. Irishgunner says:

Hi TA – I think he is a great all round midfield player. He has a great engine, gets back well to defend, and he used to play out wide for Bayern and Germany for a few seasons before being moved infield so he knows how to attack as well. He does the simple things well and keeps the game flowing. He never gives up either – not ranting at Cesc but I hate how his head drops so quickly when things aren’t going our way – he is meant to be our captain. I think Schweinsteiger and Wilshere would work great together in midfield. I’d play Jack that bit more forward than Schweinsteiger.

53. Irishgunner says:

Also, sometimes a player is better if he doesn’t stand out. I mean players like Arshavin and Nasri are all about the tricks and step overs but if they don’t do the basics right, what’s the point? We need a couple of players in there that do the basics of the game extremely well.

54. Jamie says:

Great stuff Dandan. My father and uncle have told me a lot about that night. Let’s hop we don’t have to wait 17 years for a trophy again. I’m not convince we won’t have fo wait that long for a major signing at the moment.

55. Hi all

Irish – nice to see you ;)

What on earth is going on? Our beloved team is going to be decimated – I’m not at all happy :(

The main point is that Nasri was one that didn’t do the business in the 2nd part of the season so how come he suddenly has a value to Citeh – and Clichy also needs a kick up the backside – obviously Citeh didn’t watch any Arsenal after December. Maybe the Barca game and the Mank game!!!!!!!!!!

What RATS ………. I can’t believe it of Clichy, I thought he thought he had a job for life :)

56. Gooner in Exile says:

So the justification is Nasti wants to win trophies…..he did play in the CC Final didn’t he?

One of our best players? Maybe for 3 months at the start of this season. He as much as anyone else played enough in the final stages to have made a difference to our trophy ambitions.

That’s what is really annoying me about this situation and why now given this speculation and his stumbling over a new contract I’ll wave goodbye.

57. Apologies dandan – this post is a great read. I love hearing about our past successes.

58. Snap GiE – there we were singing his name and he stopped being ‘super sam’ – obviously no-one told him that hardly any other players have songs and he should be inspired by it :)

I’m very disappointed in him – there that’s told him

59. Gooner in Exile says:

How about this solution:

Perceived opinion is we are not doing much business. So keep Nasri keep Clichy stick them in the reserves and see how many clubs want to sign them come next summer…I’d guess not many.

I’m sick and tired of player disloyalty.

60. Irishgunner says:

Hiya Peaches. I’m not pushed on Nasri and Clichy but am still hopeful of keeping Cesc – unless we get the German ;-)

61. Harry says:

Dandan, great article mate, thats one game I wish I was old enough to have watched……

Gutted Nasri as well, Need to buy a special player but who Schweinsteiger maybe, for me Yohann Gourcuff would be brilliant……..

Anyway been told that Clichy and Nasri within 48hrs will be city players with 20million and Shay Given coming to us……….Gutted about Nasri…….

62. Jamie says:

Nasri and Fabregas out the door, I couldn’t care less about Clichy and want is the gaffer up to? He is giving interview to provincial French radio stations saying that it will all happen in late July, well Ive got news for you Arsene. It’s all happening now, your two best players have walked out and with them taken any chance of winning the league.

Wenger loyal? Just about ;)

Gervinho is great pals with nasri, who convinced him to join Arsenal and now it appears nasri is off.Even if he isn’t he can walk next year.20 million for a player with one year left on his contract is big money.
    For Machester City read monopoly City… the day football died.

Of course then there s cesc, i am 99.9% sure he has gone and the only saving grace is that only AW knew what was going on with the three players mentioned and should have had time to make arrangements for quality replacements, yet today as RA quoted he appears to be in no rush.

64. TotalArsenal says:

IrishG, maybe you will get your wish, but I guess he is too expensive for us. We definitely need an experienced midfielder (at top level) to come and join us if indeed Cesc and Nasri will both leave us this summer. I still don’t believe Wenger would allow both to leave though.

65. Harry says:

I agree Jamie, could care less about Clichy and I put him forward on my list of leavers anyway…..to me he is the weak in defence…..

Fabregas is a done deal, thought it was going to happen, said it before, thanks for the memories, you could have been a legend, nearly……..

Nasri, just gutted……..if he moves its pure money which in a way, can you blame him, 80k a week more, but then again, he would the highest paid player and team built round him at the emirates, football eutopia….?

As you say TA and I mentioned above we need an absolute star to come in, Wilshere and Ramsey will be the future and will be pivotal next season, but they need someone else in the trenches with them……..

Great post, dandan.

I’m hoping for some good news tomorrow with the arrival of July 1st. If we wait until the end of July, I fear we are done.

I’m struggling to understand the money involved in today’s football transfer market, especially with regard to player’s wages. GIE, I’m with you, how can players blackmail a club so that they can receive £100,000 a week instead of £80,000? The world’s gone mad. How much money does any one person need to be set up for the rest of their life?

Today’s post makes me hanker for a time gone by in so many different ways.

67. dandan says:

Just back from baby sitting so missed you all, thanks for the compliments,
    Kelsey yes I do believe these rumours and we will lose all three, but as I said earlier AW knows we need some fight in the team and no doubt has the guys he wants lined up. Even if they are not the super stars some crave for.
    will be interesting how Arab City Gooners do next year and how there squad looks under the new rules.

68. Jamie says:

Anyone got any idea how you book for members day. The website keeps sending me round in circles.

69. Gooner in Exile says:

So Clichy is more likely moving to City cosidering the BBC website….£7million…not bad business I guess.

70. Gooner in Exile says:

Young Benik Afobe has been called up for England U20’s for World Cup later in the year, should be good experience for the youngster….lets hope he sticks around for us next season

71. goonermichael says:

If Nasri goes I hope he rots.

Morning,
    Our collapse last season. Weak squad for sure, but lack of heart and fight massive. Some players should go for that reason alone, and I have a feeling both Cesc and Nasri were part of that problem.
    My big worry, is the very strange noises coming from Arsene and he does not sound like a man who has identified replacements.
    Very interesting window about to open.

Regarding the Nasri to City gossip. Mancini has said in public that the one player he would like most would be Cesc, in other words a playmaker. I wonder if he has put in a massive offer for him and/or failing that, he sees Nasri in the same role.

July 1. Let the fun begin.

75. London says:

Clichy to City for 7mil.

If this happens It will be with Wenger’s unstated blessing. We don’t need 7mil, we might need 50mil but 7 we can live without. That being the case Wenger would be allowing Clichy to go.

Clichy may not be loved by everyone which is understanable but selling players just when they reach their playing maturity does not strike me as the best way forward. Personally, I don’t thnk he is going anywhere, our left back is just being allowed to explore his options before re-signing in a better frame of mind.

76. Gooner in Exile says:

There is a twitter account @Clichy_official which says:

“Signing for Manchester City. Everyone involved in Arsenal Football Club, thank you, your support was greatly appreciated and will be missed.”

Now I can’t work out if it really is official. I haven’t seen any of the other players I follow announce his arrival on Twitter or banter with him.

By the same token I never see much banter with Nasri on their either….is he the disruptive influence as claimed. Anyway Nasti has been denied by City apparently.

77. Gooner in Exile says:

Nasti was a typo…..maybe a prophetic one but a typo nonetheless

Hi London,
    If “exlporing his options” means going as far as talking to City for example, doubling his wages and having a better chance of trophies than with us, then surley he’d be off.

79. evonne says:

Morning all
    Arsenal to buy John O’Shea from ManU, that’s more like it! Lets start spreading rumours the other way – Arsenal to bring Tevez, Rooney and Hernandez to the Emirates. Why should we be the only fans to lose sleep??

I have been saying in the autumn that Nasri is playing out of his skin, which can only mean 2 things – he is looking for a lucrutive deal elsewhere or wants to become out next skipper. Sometimes I just hate being right :(

80. goonermichael says:

Evonne
    o’shit better be a joke. i can imagine us buying him though. Useless manc

81. goonermichael says:

Guests at a testimonial dinner in Malta for Manchester United stalwart Gary Neville were stunned when an entertainer began a rendition of Manchester City anthem Blue Moon.

classic

82. evonne says:

GM – Blue Moon classic! What a great story :)

Let’s hope that all the goss is a pile of poo, except for Tevez leaving City of course

83. London says:

Micky

If you were Mancini with all City’s resourses at your finger tips, would you buy Clichy?

84. evonne says:

London – you don’t really want an answer :) Good point

Would you buy Nasri though?

Nice to have you back London – have you cycled again since your return ;)

Do Nasri and Clichy want to leave because they think the team will have been weakened by Cesc going? Or do they just want more money?

Morning all.

The media are having field day talking about us.Even Talksport are saying that City are raping us and how this cannot be good for football.

The fact is that Nasri ans Fabregas will leave either now or next season(Nasri on a free) so the boss has to make a decision and.Clichy wants out.
    There are no takers for Denilson and Rosicky says Wenger wants to keep him..

The trouble is that none of s know the whole situation but my gut feeling is year after year the more senior players are being told we will strengthen with established quality players and and it is just not happening.
    Greed of course comes into it.Maybe City will offer Messi a million a week some time soon, would he refuse ?

87. The question is can we keep blaming the move to the new stadium for what’s happening within our club? The City stuff obviously has an impact financially but the 25 man rule and Fair play rules should keep them under some control.

What’s happening in our dressing-room and at the training ground?

88. kelsey – I know you won’t talk to me but I’m saying hello ;)

hello peaches :)

90. Very rapidly this web site will be famous amid all blogging viewers,
    due to it’s pleasant articles