Arsène Wenger manages the Dream Team

Written by Gooner in Exile

Arsenal.com are currently running an all time dream team vote. The problem with this it is often only the young who vote and recent memory can skew the result.

We have a wide church here with regard to ages so how about we all pick our all time eleven, manager, coach, physio and you can even throw in a few squad players.

One stipulation you must have seen them play or manage whilst you’ve been alive. On second thoughts this could put the younger members of the forum at a disadvantage so perhaps we can allow two wild cards for positions where you believe a player from before your time may have added some.

I’ll start us off:

Merson
Campbell
Caesar

Coach : Don Howe
Physio : Gary Lewin

Manager : Arsène Wenger

That was tough and I’ve only been watching them for 29 years, good luck to our older supporters.

So just to say I know that’s not going to be everyone’s cup of tea but hey it’s my fantasy you all get to have yours too.

Admittedly some have been chosen for how they did things on the pitch, they may not all be the best in their positions but in the case of a few:

Wright……his pure enthusiasm for the game, affinity with the fans and love of scoring goals and also because of that goal against Big Nev, the whole of Highbury singing Ian Wright Wright Wright for a good ten minutes after he scored it.

Limpar…..I was there when he beat Hooper from the halfway line and it was probably the best goal I ever witnessed at Highbury.

Caesar…..you have to have an anti hero to have a hero, he was always good for a laugh (unfortunately for him we weren’t laughing with him).

So there is the challenge pick away. Don’t ask me to justify my selections I made them in five minutes and will probably change them every ten.

161 Responses to Arsène Wenger manages the Dream Team

Who wrote this fine article?

Carry over from the previous post…..

Micky, Crabs, schmabs, poor man’s fare..Give me a lump of cheddar anyday.

Evonne. I agree €27m is insulting but is purely an opening gambit. Perhaps they are looking to repeat the superb bargain they got when signing TH14, the best striker in world football for just €16m. Hence the “wear and tear” nonsense.

2. Stanley says:

Are you kidding me? No Henry in the starting lineup? For all of Wright’s scoring, he still wouldn’t come close to Henry in his prime. Dixon over Lauren for me. Dixon was a better def while Lauren was a converted midfielder. Where’s Liam Brady then?

Apologies Raddy, GiE is the author.

Hi Stanley, absolutely, that’s the idea, we will all have our different favourites, but when you try to pick a team that will gel, sometimes it just can’t include all the best players.

Stanley. Having witnessed the entire AFC careers of both of them I would say that Wright would have scored far more goals had he played with DB10. IW made goals from nothing because he had to.

Noddy Talbot. Anyone else remember coming away from games thinking all our problems were solved as we had the Worlds’ Finest dead ball specialist!

7. LOOL says:

LOL HENRY ON THE BENCH GIVE ME A BREAK ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Oh lighten up LOOL

It’s all about opinions LOOL, why not tell us who is in your team – oh and please don’t shout, there’s no need to use capitals.

10. dandan says:

GIE. You and I will end up banned mate, i write about the team fighting, which ends up in an AA fight. Your response, giving them all Carte Blanche to kill each other over the best ever amalgamated Arsenal team, let battle commence. Me I am gonna keep my head down. :-)

Now, how do I fit in Chippy, Cesc, Paddy, Petit, DB10, Henry and Wrighty mmmm

Cesc
    Merson
    Winterburn
    Bould
    Parlour

13. Gooner in Exile says:

Well I knew Henry not getting a start might inspire a reaction, but like I said it’s for you all personally to choose. For me Wright was my hero always will be I was at an impressionable age when he joined and the simple enjoyment you could see in his play was what made him that hero for me.

Don’t leave me hanging here guys I expect lots of Brady, Ball, McLintocks in the starting elevens of some of you.

I would have thought Limpar Talbot and O’Leary were more contentious.

14. 26may1989 says:

Hello all you bastard AA insiders…..

I love “Best of” posts, always good fun. Thanks Exile!

I would go for:

Fabregas
    Overmars
    van Persie
    Anelka

Manager: Arsène Wenger
    Defensive coach: George Graham*

(To be denied access to the transfer budget or any club bank account or funds.)

The ones I can’t believe I can’t get in: Winterburn, Kanu, Petit, Campbell, Merson, Paul Davis, Rix, Rocastle, Limpar, Ljungberg, Malcolm MacDonald, Nasri, Lehmann, Gilberto, Bould, Alan Smith, Stapleton, Vermaelen, Parlour……

15. The Law says:

Jennings,
    Rice, McLintock, Simpson, Sanson

Storey, Viera, Brady

Bergkhamp. Wright, Henry.

Wenger……. Adams, Petite, Armstrong, Radford, George,Rocastle, Seamen

17. evonne says:

GiE – fine post and excellent idea to provoke a discussion! However, Cesc not even on the bench??? No, that cannot be right

26may – who are you calling a bastard, I’ll sue you!! Agree about Cashley, I’d have him in my team any day

Raddy – did we only get 16m for out Tel??? Really??

18. Gooner in Exile says:

Who’s got time to count the votes? I notice 26 chose an unconventional formation to shoehorn Wright and Henry in.

19. 26may1989 says:

Hi evonne – you want to sue? You should find a decent lawyer for that….. :)

Whenever I say anything positive about Cashley, I feel dirty; unlike others, I definitely do bear grudges. “Forgive sometimes, forget never” would probably be a good motto for me to live by. Not a very healthy attitude, granted, but that’s the way I am!

But Cashley is an excellent player, no doubt about that. And to be fair to him, after Mourinho managed to make him look very ordinary, Cole has really blossomed in the last 2-3 years. Talk of him being the best left-back around today is no longer embarrassing.

But he’s still an A1 prick.

OK, I’m off, catch up later.

20. Gooner in Exile says:

By the way thanks for the headline…..made me smile straight away.

21. Gooner in Exile says:

26 we don’t need GG for defense when we have Don Howe

26,
    Switch Pires for Petit, and I’ll go with your set up, after all, you managed to squeeze in the Big Three.

23. goonermichael says:

Has anyone used Arsenal player yet?

24. Jamie says:

Smashing post especially as i think it was a bit last minute.

To make it easier on myself and to make sure i get some work done. I’ll make it a squad of 22 in the modern day.

Although i started supporting Arsenal in 1986, my dad brought me up on videos of the 1971 double side, so i include a few here on top of my own experience.

GK Seaman, Wilson (Both the temprement of Arsenal Keepers)
    RB Sagna, Dixon (I Just think Sagna is the best. He never gets beaten.)
    LB Sansom, Cole (Sansom was superb, great on the ball, a real footballer and a good defender too.)
    CB Mclintock, Bould (Leaders)
    CB Adams, Keown (Leaders)
    DM Vieira, Storey (Steel)
    CM Brady, Fabregas (Inspiration)
    RW Rocastle, Ljungberg (Both battling and skilfull)
    LW Pires, Merson (the classic right footer on the left, coming in for a shot, a trick of Arsenal down the ages.)
    SS Bergkamp, Smith (Bergkamp was the best and as such, you can have no replacement as a No.10. Before anyone jumps on the fact I have put Smith in i would say that you always need a clever target man and a plan B in your squad.)
    CF Henry, Wright (The sharp end)

I feel rotten about leaving Limpar out and it would have been lovely to find a space for a few of the supersubs we have had down the years, Groves, Kanu for some humour and cricus tricks respectively etc.

Goontastic!

I am trying to fugure out a way to get Marc Overmars into my team!

26. Gooner in Exile says:

Jamie that’s a fantastic looking squad.

In ten years I may have to find room for Wilshere, Nasri, Cesc and the Verminator.

Wonder what that squad would cost to assemble in the current transfer Market assuming we had to buy them all?

27. waykilmer77@gmai.com says:

LEHMANN
    DIXON – ADAMS – BOULD – AS.COLE(sorry! but he’s good :))
    VIERA
    OVERMARS – CESC – NASRI
    BERGKAMP
    HENRY

Subs:
    SEAMAN – PERSIE – WALCOTT – WRIGHT – MERSON – LIAM BRADY

28. TotalArsenal says:

Seaman
    Dixon – Adams – Campbell – Cole
    Cesc – Viera
    RvP – Bergkamp – Overmars
    Henry

Bring on the best 11 Mancs, Chelskies, Dippers, etc and we’ll f**king devour them skin, teeth and hair included ;)

29. irish gooner says:

Great post GiE! My favs:
    Seaman
    Dixon Adams oleary winterburn
    Viera cesc Limpar
    Bergkamp
    Wright Henry

Might get overrun in midfield on occasion but those lightening quick counters would be something to behold! And goals galore!

Not a mention of Jack Kelsey.Look him up his club and International record was outstanding.
    Pity he just played for the Arsenal in the wrong era.

George Eastham another, a wizard on the ball.

The point i am making is that we had some outstanding players but they don’t feature as they were not in trophy winning sides.

32. SharkeySure says:

Pretty heated day yesterday, but some good stuff was written as well. Whilst reading thru them this morning I made notes:

Evonne: I know why there are so many Polish builders, but cannot work out the goalies

Wibble: if he’d asked me to jump out of the window at that moment I’d have been half way to the pavement before it would have occured to me to ask why!

TotalA: Best fight I can think of: Song beating up Evra. I’d pay good money to see that happen.
    I’d probably buy a season ticket if it was twice a week for a year.

Herb: “I try to be polite and respectful to everyone”. Followed by “If you really are that ignorant please don’t talk to me” and “You at least have a great deal of intelligence and common-sense” Lol

Evonne: “you don’t even have an avatar, is it the only thing missing in your life? I bet not” As comebacks go that was pretty damn impressive.

Evonne: “The guy really gets on my tits”. I liked this comment for all the wong reasons. ;oops;

Heb: “It must be an eastern European trait.”. Thats well out of order, and reflects very very poorly on you.
    Jamie: “you only go to a samba class if you are worried about your mrs and the instructor” True !!

Chas: cracking pic. Lauren is STIL one of my all time fave players. Very good footballer and proper tough guy, who really looked out for his team mates. http://www.flickr.com/photos/27453474@N02/4237658676/in/photostream Worth seeing again !! The start of the slideshow looked fantastic

MIDI. Agreed, Paul Davis….one punch legend

Jamie says: “Mannings back” – Simple but brilliant.

Gooner in Exile says: 7:53 pm. Well played big fella

GM “Well done Carlito. I would have shit myself.”

Evonne: “you don’t drink? That’s the root of the problem, you should have said from the start”. Brilliant

GiE: “Carlito – you sir are a brave fool….have you thought about goalkeeping?”. Lol

Unknown??: “the reality is that the AA insiders will always become a bunch of groupies to defend their own against newbies” – complete and utter shit, and not worthy of any further comment from me !!

RedA:” we can all pile in and have a lovely big ruck! I bags I am on Sharkey’s and GIE’s side”. I’d deffo glad to be with you and GiE, but not sure why you’d want someone my size backing you up

33. SharkeySure says:

Off to read todays offerings.

Can’t do it in the format. So I will just try my faves

Seaman
    Rice McLintock Adams Cole (pre-phonegate)
    Vieira DB10 Charlie George TH14
    Wright Radford

Subs: . Wilson, Overmars, Keown, Peter Simpson, George Graham (as a player), Freddie, Nutty, Brady, Bobby.

Manager: AW
    Coach: Howe

35. redarse says:

I don’t think you could argue against any of the teams, they are all fantastic. :-)

But what I would like to see alongside those brilliant players is your ‘worst’ players’ team?

Seaman…………………Almunia
    Sagna …………………Hoyte
    Cole face ……………..????
    Adams …………………Stepanovs
    Campbell ………………Blockley (OK my dad told me)

Well, I can come up with the good uns, but I am struggling with the duffers. Any ideas?

SS. I must be getting boring!!

37. mjabber says:

the best is really hard. How about this for an alternative

Lukic

Kosima Caesar Stepanov

Denilson

Eboue McGoldrick

Hawley Chapman Hankin

Scary hey!

38. redarse says:

Sharkey,

GIE and myself could provide the brawn, but you have a good bite!! :-)

39. mjabber says:

oops forgot the left back….must be still in the changing room

40. redarse says:

mjabber, :-)

I think you meant the worst?

That’s a pretty good shot, except for Lukic they all have merit, but who is/was Kosima!! :-)

41. TotalArsenal says:

Great summary Sharkey – you somehow seem to tell a story with our yesterday one-liners :)

……….Charlie George
    Freddie Cesc Nasri Pires
    Rocastle DB10 Chippy Overmars
    ………..Henry Wright
    That’d learn ‘em!
    And yes, it took me two hours to come up with.

Actually, set them up like this:

………..George
    Ferddie Cesc Nasri Pires
    ………….DB10
    Rocky Henry Chippy Overmars
    …………Wright
    and they could play forwards or backwards. Now this is Total Football.

44. SharkeySure says:

Chas. That slideshow, absolutely incredible.

I thought that look of fear on DB10’sface when being faced up by the clown was gonna be my fave pic….

I’ve just seen Eboue with has afro, ghetto blaster, and tight shorts. Oh dear.

Once again Chas, I salute your mastery and presentation of the visual media. Top top work.

45. goonermichael says:

I enjoyed your summary Sharkey. Quite a few I thought ofbut couln’t be bothered saying as I’m lazy.

46. Jamie says:

This has got me thinking, would it be possible to come up with a classic cartoon character football eleven.

For instance, Daffy Duck would have made a quacking Keeper shouting inswuctions at Scooby Do at Centre Half and i could see Top Cat as an elegant midfield stroller.

Captain Cave Man a midfield enforcer.

With Dick Darstedly as manager with Mutley barking out instructions from the touchline.

I would have the Roadrunner and Wylie Kayote in a classic big man, small man strike partnership with Batman and Robin providing the width.

Any ideas on full backs?

Jamie. Maybe before your time but Twizzle would make a brilliant CB

And Torchy the Battery Boy would be a fine box to box MF.

48. goonermichael says:

Tweedle dee and tweeedle dum

49. goonermichael says:

God Raddy
    Twizzle gave me nightmares (or was it sarah hoppity?)

50. Gooner in Exile says:

Foghorn Leghorn as centre back surely?

Daffy duck as Eboue.

I was thinking Yosemite Sam as full back.

Would it be a stretch to include Roy of the Rovers?

51. goonermichael says:

Billy the fish obviously

52. Jamie says:

GIE I’m with you completely but I think Roy of the rovers may be cheating. I think daffy could move to one full back position. You are right foghorn leghorn is a must.

Raddy, looked up battery boy on internet and frankly got some iffy sights originally but now I know what we are talking about, there is always room for that kind of player in the team

53. Goalkeeper can only be Popeye and obviously the centre back to play alongside Foghorn would be his arch enemy Brutus.

I also think we need room for Barney Rubble, just because he brings a long a cracking wag in the shape of Betty……purrrrrr

For that reason we should find a berth for Roger Rabbit too.

GIE. No, not Roger Rabbit, he has Spurs all over him.

& I have to say that I am more a Wilma man.

Billy the Fish is a must.

No place for Micky Mouse? Or the Danish CF, Anders Ånd? (Donald Duck)

55. goonermichael says:

fat slags would keep rooney and giggs occupied

56. SharkeySure says:

Raddy. – “SS. I must be getting boring!!

None of us wanted to be the one to tell you. I’m truly sorry that you’ve now joined the dots together and learned such an awful truth.

I just hope it doesn’t spoil your weekend too much.

Watch the Stu Macfarlane slideshow that Chas put up yesterday…that’ll lift yer spiruts

57. Jamie says:

Right so what we are saying is.

Popeye in the sticks,

With Duffy Duck and Yosemite Sam at full backs.

Foghorn Leghorn and Billy the Fish at Centre half (I’m sticking with him over Brutus, I don’t think we can risk having a Bridge/Terry situation with Olive Oil being such a tease.)

Holding Man is Captain Cave Man as skipper?

Top Cat as the schemer

Battery Boy providing an engine from the right with Roadrunner moving wide left. Is he a natural lefty?

With Wylie Kayote now partnering the box of tricks Mickey Mouse up front.

Scooby Do, Fred Flintstone, Barney Rubble and Brutus on the bench and we are selling Roger Rabbit to Spurs.

With Batman and Robin as the reserve stike pairing.

58. 26may1989 says:

Have just read jamie’s 22-man squad at 11.17am – jamie is an outrageous cheat for listing 22, but that squad is epic. Well done that man!

Sharkey at 12.12pm: top summary of yesterday’s hostilities, eloquently makes many points with a minimum of fuss. But Sharkey, you make notes about AA?? You are sadder than I thought!! ;)

And re mjabber’s worst ever XI: Did you mean John Kosmina (Aussie from the 70s)? If so, isn’t he the one who was meant to have (to use the Anglo-Saxon terminology) shat himself just before going onto the pitch for his debut?? Or am I thinking of someone else?

I challenge the inclusion of John Lukic in that worst XI: we’ve had better keepers but he was still more than decent. George Wood was certainly worse, as is Almunia. And Paul Barron, Richard Wright and Rami Shabaan would be in there before Lukic too. I also think people are too hard on Eboue and Denilson, but that row has been done to death.

My worst ever Arsenal XI:

Wood
    Selley Stepanovs Caesar Vivas
    Kiwomya Hillier McGoldrick Carter
    Diawara Jeffers

59. 26may1989 says:

Have just realised that the midfield listed in my worst XI (Kiwomya, Hillier, McGoldrick and Carter) may have played quite a few games together. Shows how far we fell after the glory of 1987 to 1991.

I should probably also have put Pal Lydersen in instead of Selley.

60. SharkeySure says:

My ‘summary’ wasn’t actually intended to be a ‘summary’ as such, but more a collection of things that I would have responded to had I read them in ‘live’ mode. ie expressing my gratitude for things that made me smile, or my displeasure at things that I thought were out of order.

From here on in, I will no long refer to a certain lady as a ticket stealing, hand on knee inviting, womenly wiles using vixen who also goes in for a bit of kidnap. Step forward Evonne the Legend. Your mention of your tits yesterday has nothing to do with your elevated status, well not too much anyway.

Night all

61. Ferventgooner says:

Young so haven’t seen a lot of Arsenal
    Lehmann
    Sagna Campbell Adams (wild card) Cole
    Ljungberg Vieira Fabregas Pires
    Bergkamp (semi wild card, only saw a few times)
    Henry

62. Gooner in Exile says:

Fervent nice team and shows why these dream teams polls are never a true representation. Kelsey would love his namesake Jack Kelsey to be in our line ups but not many of us saw him play.

You have also been blessed to grow up in an era when so many of our players could feature in our all time eleven.

For those of us with a few more years under the belt (and weight above it) it’s hard to pick a team.

No one has put the Horse in our worst team (Luzhny)

63. 26may1989 says:

I love The Horse, great man, rubbish haircut.

64. SharkeySure says:

Hey XXVI. I’ve made a note of your rather unkind note and here’s my explanatory note in response.

I don’t ordinarily make notes, but if I’m on a long read back I do copy and paste the bits I intend to respond to. Note (!) that this is only when I am playing catch up the following morning.

Happy now. I knwo you;tre only upset cos Evonnne mentioned that someone had gotten on her tits yesterday, whereas you only got your hand on her knee. There’s a lesson in setting your sets higher.

On that rather low note*, I really must bid you all good night.

* I just about avoided calling that a bum note. Ooops…

65. SharkeySure says:

Evonne The Legend.

Sincere apologies and flowers are on their way.

66. SharkeySure says:

Right off to read the post and comments. And you know what, I might even make some notes along the way !!!

Who cares what a man with a number for a name thinks. He’s clearly a big Patrick McGoohan fan.

67. 26may1989 says:

Sharkey: :) !!

SS. May I respectfully ask you to go forth and multiply?

I don’t mind being dull nor do I mind being boring but being unable to join dots together is unacceptable

OK? Slaphead :-)

I had better leave before Sharkey gets nasty ……

70. SharkeySure says:

Fervent: “Bergkamp (semi wild card, only saw a few times)”

My heart bleeds for you. Ask Chas if he’ll repost the video which has Bergkamp pass vs Chelsea. Its like he guided that ball using a hidden remlote control.

71. SharkeySure says:

@ Raddy.

Hey there Mr Pot, I’ve got a caller on Line 1 for you. Bloke by the name of Kettle. Shall I put him thru..??

72. SharkeySure says:

Any off to go forh andmultiply just cos Raddy askem e so ‘respectfully’

I ‘respectfully’ make that 3 yrs and counting now Mr Radders. How oxymoronic* that we started that over on LG of all places.

Yeah I could have used ironic, but oxymoron is just about my fave word. I even got it listed as word of the week over on LG once.

Thats up there with gettng a man on the moon in my book. Not as hard as getting an Eastern European woman up there granted, but a tough task all the same.

I knew it, I stayed around for too long. Sharkey got me.

SS. I have an excuse – I am 20 years older than you.

74. 26may1989 says:

Sharkey, surely the most sublime Bergkampism (at least for the Arse) is the goal against Newcastle – receiev a pass with back to goal and a defender behind, send the ball one way round the bamboozled defender, go around him the other way, meet the ball on the other side, now one-on-one with the keeper and a tidy finish. Simply the most magnificent piece of footballing skill I’ve seen an Arsenal player execute.

God, I love Bergkamp.

75. dandan says:

If this is true we have a half decent player’

Palermo president Maurizio Zamparini has claimed that Velez Sarsfield midfielder Ricardo Alvarez has agreed to join Arsenal.

The 23-year-old Argentinian has long been linked with a move to Arsene Wenger’s side after playing a part in Sarsfield’s 2009 Clausura success, with interest in his services intensifying having recently helped steer Velez to another Clausura crown.

Serie A side Palermo – who reached the Italian Cup final last season, eliminating AC Milan in the semi-finals before falling to Inter – were among the contenders to secure the attacking midfielder’s signature, with Inter, Roma, Malaga and Sevilla also believed to be tracking the former Boca Juniors youth player.

However, Zamparini has since revealed on Italian radio that they have lost out, and that it is the Gunners who Alvarez had agreed to put pen to paper with.

“We lost him due to our mistake and I know that he has already signed for Arsenal.”

Velez Sarsfield have demanded €12 million for Alvarez’s services, with Zamparini previously telling Corriere dello Sport that he was not confident of landing the midfielder due to the interest of the Emirates Stadium outfit.

“We are very interested in Alvarez, but it will be difficult to bring him to Palermo considering that there are other clubs like Arsenal and Malaga interested in him,” he said.

“We were interested in Alvarez, we were very close to him in January,” he told Radio Kiss Kiss.” :)

Malaga my home town club(nearly) flirting with relegation up and down like a yo yo until last year they were bought by part of the Quatar family that own City and Malaga finished 8th.They have just bought Rudd van Nistlerooy(sp) so money is no object.

77. evonne says:

Sharkey – you are un-be-lie-vable, how can you do this to me?? I was truly upset about yesterday and hardly slept, but wanted to put it all to rest. But no, now you have stirred shit good and proper again. It will cost you, next time I see you!!! Grrrrrhhhhh….

78. evonne says:

Nobody mentioned Cygan in their worst team, or Reyes. They were both pretty shit, no?

And how about Telly Tubbies on the pitch? Lehman would be definitely LaLa

79. evonne says:

Kelsey – Palermo claim that we signed Alvarez; if it is true would he be a replacement for Fabregeez?

Evening all, I named Alvarez as Cesc’s replacement yesterday …. catch up :?

81. redarse says:

Hi Rasp,

Alvarez originally appeared on the news blogs some 4 weeks ago as a ‘free’ signing by Arsenal.

No one had heard of him and assumed he had been signed by an ‘Arsenal’ in Argentina, and eventually the story was revealed to be rubbish.

I have, despite my better judgement, scoured the web (and the Italian web sites, using translate) and could not find a drachm of worthwhile info about his so called transfer, other than this Palermo guy’s pronouncement.

I would not give it credence, personally, until a more authoritative source, such as XXV1, issues a promulgation as to its truth. :-)

Evonne, he is alleged to be a 6’2″ midfield/winger with tricky skills and pace. If we get him he will probably play in goal in place of our boy Post …. erm sorry pole! :-)

Hiya RA,

My buls**tometer tells me that Gervinho is 70% likely, Alvarez is 50% likely and Samba is 40% likely …. but it changes every day :(

83. SharkeySure says:

Ha ha Radders…I hope and pray that I’m in as fine a fettle as you in 20 years time.

Sq rt of 49*7-2. I figured that our young newbie would have seen that one, so went for something a fair bit more obscure, but no less sublime. The Bergy highlight reels will primarily consist of his great goals, and his more outrageous skills and tricks. That pass against Chelsea was done without even the merest ruffle of his own feathers. Thats not to say he broke into sweat* untwisting poor Dabizas’ intestines.

I first wrote ‘bust a gut’, then the whole sentence seemed almost Dutch – with apologies to TA and Raddy’s ancestors ;-)

84. redarse says:

Rasp,

It’s like there is a transfer storm brewing. it just needs a sizeable transfer to be completed by Barca, Man Citeh, ‘Pool or the Chavs to set off a sequence of transfers with an almighty domino effect.

Wish they would just get on with it. :-)

85. SharkeySure says:

Evonne The Legend.

I’m your biggest (not literally of course) fan and I’ll defend you and your Eastrern European-ness against any foe, such is my love and admiration for you.

Then you go and call Reyes shit. I’ve marked you down from a perfect 10 to a 9.999.

You’ve got work to do now ‘love’.

Ps. Your sterling work yesterday will live long in my memory

I agree RA, but I would say that it is now 60% likely that Cesc will leave and Barca is the ONLY destination in contention, talk of another prem team or Real are way off the mark. Today’s silly low offer is just the first in the negotiating process, I’d imagine we will eventually settle for around 40m euros

87. redarse says:

Sharkey,

I thought you had said g’nite at least twice already, when up you pop, again, with a non sequitur! :-)

Leave poor old (49^*7)-2 = 47 alone. Who he anyway?

Whereas, (49^*3)+5 = 26 said he was in love at 4:24, or so he told God! :-)

88. Gooner in Exile says:

Evonne you are queen of bees these days aren’t you. We seemed to have encouraged a bumblebee queen of the red tailed type to nest in our loft.

A few young appear to be dying and falling through our loft hatch gaps. Any suggestions for going about removing the nest….obviously I know theyre protected and theyre doing a wonderful job on my flowers but I’m worried my dog will feast on a dying bee and end up with a trip to the vets with a stung mouth. Any ideas?

89. redarse says:

Rasp,

Barca are the only team in town for Cesc — agreed.

I was referring to the nefarious machinations of who will buy Sanchez for £40m.

If it is Citeh, Barca will switch more of their funds to buying Cesc. We will then buy a replacement (?).
    If Barca buy Sanchez, then they will not have enough dough to buy Cesc, and Citeh could switch and try to buy Nasri and that could mean Utd trying to buy Modric, which would set Madrid off to counter that etc, etc.

I am, of course, wildly speculating, but it the domino effect I was talking about in some form!!
    Could be interesting after the first ‘buy’ is made!

90. dandan says:

Redarse you are wrong 26 told me no such thing :-)

91. dandan says:

GIE phone any local bee keeper he will bite your hand off to come and take them away.

evonne, don’t think so more a replacement for Diaby.

With regards to Cesc I fear this may just drag on and on and really is igood for Arsenal .
    My bet is Clichy will be the first to leave and then ……

redarse says:
    June 24, 2011 at 5:55 pm (Edit)

Rasp,

Barca are the only team in town for Cesc — agreed.

Not by my understanding but in all probability they are the only club he wants to go to.

94. redarse says:

GIE,

It’s very unusual for bumble bees to nest in lofts as they are mostly ‘small scale’ nesters. If they are dead when they drop down, they are also unlikely to sting as they need to ‘vibrate’ their stinger to push the venom into man or dog.

Are you sure they are bumblers and not a species of wasp?

If they are wasps or worse hornets, be very careful, as they can swarm, unlike the good old bumble bee, and can cause serious injury. The local council will help, but probably also charge you a small fee.

You are going to tell me to but out, aren’t you? :-)

95. evonne says:

GiE – I will get you a number for your local beekeeping association. I am not sure if they will remove the bumble bee nest, as they usually deal with honey bees, but they should have the number for BBKA in Norwich

bees,wasps we have the lot.If any of your dogs get bitten in the mouth rush and give them an anti hystamine (sp)tablet otherwise they may choke to death

97. redarse says:

Hi Dandan, :-)

I think you had better have a word with 26, and perhaps throw a bolt of lightning at him, because at 4:24 he def said;

“God, I love Bergkamp”.

He is of course a lawyer, so enough said!! :-)

98. dandan says:

Oh sorry RA, god you said, I got that the wrong way round. :-)

99. evonne says:

GiE – the Norwich Beekeeping site is rubbish, almost empty. I will get you another number soon.
    But don’t worry about them too much, they are solitary bees and a bumble bee colony is very small. They are pretty dopey and seldom sting. Bees do not like smell of dogs and alcohol, so keep Alfie away especially on Friday nights :)

100. evonne says:

GiE – cannot find anything in Norwich, sorry. If you are sure it is red tailed bumble bee, then leave them till winter. They only live one season with the queen hybernating.

If you want to remove the nest yourself, which should not be too difficult do it in the early evening, blow a few puffs of Marlborough and pack the nest into a box. Wear gloves and put your trousers into your socks. They are usually small nests and easy to move. HOWEVER, if in any doubt, call the experts.

Trousers in socks may leave him a little exposed.

You lot have been on top form this afternoon. Alvarez. How exciting.

103. evonne says:

Sharkey – I was warned about you before that day in the Tavern :) But gosh, I wasn’t half prepared for the real you :) Cannot wait to see you again at the Emirates

104. evonne says:

Micky – I know, he should probably wear a proper suit….I am a bit ruthless and often tend to bees without, but should not encourage others. Would you worry about bumble bees’ nest? Harmless, wouldn’t you say

——————————————————————————————————-

Excellent advice but i have this vision of a man with a packet of marlborough,stark naked except for his socks pulled up over his trousers,wearing huge gloves.

106. redarse says:

Leave them alone GIE.

Bumblers are pretty harmless unless provoked. As I previously said, they are unlike honey bees or wasps and do not swarm as they are mostly solitary by nature.

If they are dead – no need to say more. :-)

If they are wasps — don’t go near them. If you turn out to be allergic and get stung by one, you could go into anaphylactic shock. Not good.

107. evonne says:

Kelsey – you have not met GiE, so I will help your imagination further – he is a very tall guy with long brown locks of hair and chest size 50+. He puffs like a chimney and somehow manages to drink from 2 pint glasses at the same time.

Don’t push it, he is not one to mess about with

108. evonne says:

God is probably right – leave them if you can. I read somewhere that bumble bees can recognize faces. They would not sting someone they ‘know’. I was thinking about getting a bumble bee instead of my failed guard dog

109. Evening all(as Dixon of Dock Green would say) – it seems my day time blogging has come to an end as the work I gestapo have banned AA and many other football blog sites, so it looks like I’ll be an evening commenter for the forseeable.

110. Evonne – you forgot to mention his high decibel, deep booming voice as well.

Definitely a guy you’d want on your side in any sort of competition/battle.

111. Typical, I manage to get on and everyone scarpers !

I’m off to sulk…..

Rocastle
    Overmars
    Wright

113. V.C.C. says:

Beat that Fergy

114. SharkeySure says:

“For those of us with a few more years under the belt (and weight above it) ”

Line of the day…??

Top quality GiE !!

115. SharkeySure says:

Recurring problem. Geoff at LG would always accuse me of saying, ‘right I’m off now’ only to come back in response to some shite or other that he posted once he thought I had gone.

Some of my commnets today have been a bit near the knuckle, so I’ve ended them with good night so that anyone who was worries or offended will been given hope that I was at least done for the day, lest they fear what was coming next.

Its not really worked has it.

116. SharkeySure says:

Finally read GiE’s excellent post on the bus home. Still tickles when an author caveats a post as GiE has done, only for some poster to immediate ride straight over it and start questtioning the author’s sanity.

Better still when they fail to put up their own offering, that I might run thru the SharkeySureSanityMonitor.

Going forwards authors should suggest a no. of posts til it happens, ie todays result was 2.- ‘and no, I’m not kidding’.

That’ll take some beating.

117. Gooner in Exile says:

Thanks for the bee advice they are definitely bumblers, I’m into my nature and did have a bit of a look to make sure.

Saw them quite a while ago have left them be but was a bit concerned by the falling bees in the throes of death and damage to be done.

118. evonne says:

Chary!!! Welcome back! Were you on holidays?

GiE – bees don’t live very long. Summer honey bees only last about 1 month, hard work kills them. Winter bees live for several months. Queens live longest, upto 5 years, now there is a surprise

SharkeySureSanityMonitor my foot, mad hatter more like

119. Jamie says:

Worst eleven

Gk Wright – good keeper but couldn’t hack it at Highbury.

Rb Gilbert – after an unlikely series of injuries threw him a chance he briefly grabbed it with both hands, getting offered a five year deal in the process. AW was sold a pup by Gilbert who almost immediately turned in to a chump.

Lb Pates – that bad at centre back that he couldn’t even get in this side in his chosen position. To blame for the Benfica game, clueless.

Cb Stepenovs – for many games but especially that old Trafford disaster. As Kenny Sansom remarked he should have been steppin up not steppin off.

Cb Ceaser – for the Luton game although he was fouled for the goal.

Mf Selley – he may very well have been a great player but we will never know because in his entire time with Arsenal which spanned some years, he never once touched the ball.

Mf Jensen – crap tackler, crap shot and a crap hair cut. I love GG but it must have been a hell of a bung.

Rw Carter – I think my mate pete was a better player than Carter was when he played for Arsenal and Pete was 18 stone with and a first touch that could make Edward Scissor hands blush.

Lw Mcgoldrick – just when Eddie finally got it right at Arsenal in a game at highbury, he pulled the worst hamstring injury I have ever seen right in the middle of a counter attack. He barely played again.

Cf Diawara – Couldnt score if presented with an open goal and half an hour and a diagram.

Cf Kiwomya – was average at Ipswich and must have though his number had come up when in one of GGs last acts he bought him.

Bischoff and Maltz were bad too.

120. Evonne darling , thanks but no not been on holiday, I’ve had trouble commenting on wordpress via my work PC and can only do it at home on my laptop.
    Off on holiday in August, for a scandinavian sojourn, though.

121. SharkeySure says:

Team of players (off the cuff, with little aforethought) who I absolutely loved to see play. Not necessarily the best.

Jennings .Just those cup replays against Liverpool alone)
    Lauren. Tough guy, very good footballer, looked out for his team mates as though they were his own children.
    Sammy Nelson. Sammy the dog bared his arse at the North Bank, Do I need more than that to include him..??
    Keown. Sheer dogged determination, which was infectious to his team mates. Legend in my eyes.
    Senderos. Shock choice? I loved him, I loved his game face, and I remember our run to the CL final. He’s one of the few since Keown to have that dogged do or die determination.
    Rocky. Skill pace power goals, do or die determination. What a player.
    Paddy. My all time No.1 Arsenal player. Would improve any team that played at any time, anywhere, no matter how good or poor the other players are/were. I’ll write a post about him one day. He made most PL players look like schoolboys trailing in his wake.
    Brady. Fervent – he was a cross between Fabregas and Bergkamp. Absolute master of a football and seemingly in complete control of his surroundings at all times. 5-1 at the Lane.
    Fabregas. As gifted a player as I have ever seen play live. I love the simplicity of his play more than anything.
    Reyes. Had everything bar the support of his skipper. Speed, skill, pace, an eye for a goal, an eye for an assist. There’s a very good reason why the Neville’s targetted him
    Wright. Not the nicest of people off the pitch, absolute legend on it. would have outscored Henry with the same service.
    Limpar. A player of real quality at a time when we were crying out for it

System. 4-3-3.

Ok, thats actually 12 players. Limpar as impact sub.

System 4-5-1 / 4-3-3

Back 4,

Vieira at DM

Rocky Brady Fab Reyes

Wright up front,

Absentees/Subs.
    Henry. I often felt that for all of his amazing feats, he could have given us more if he had the hunger and attitude of Wrighty.
    Bergkamp. Absolute master. But he too could be a bit too laid back at times, and I already have enough creativity.

Others:
    Malcolm McDonald
    Edu
    Parlour
    Grimandi
    Rimmer
    McLintock (wild card)
    Kanu. Magical player.

Phew.

122. SharkeySure says:

I love you too ETL !

123. SharkeySure says:

Robert Pires !!! How on earth.

I was struggling between him and Reyes at the start and somehow missed him out altogether.

Its still Reyes to start though

124. SharkeySure says:

first touch that could make Edward Scissor hands blush.

Lol

125. evonne says:

Sharkey – Reyes??? Nay, no way. But Sanderos and Keown are an excellent choice. Both highly intelligent players, totally committed. Do you think that Reyes and TH14 had fallen out over that dickhead Arragones comments and Reyes trying to defend him? I know that R had a brill start scoring against the Chavs (I was there), but then he was regressing rather than progressing. And the bloody paellas made him fat

Chary – I am going to email you soon, glad you are back blogging, I was worried a bit you know why

126. 26may1989 says:

Sharkey, you really do love Reyes don’t you?! Gets in ahead of Bergkamp and Henry, now that’s a brave call (though you do say it’s the players you love(d) to watch rather than necessarily being the best). And Senderos in ahead of Adams, Bould and Campbell? Blimey.

I still think Lee Dixon was a better RB than Lauren, but Lauren’s hard-as-nails facial expression was a valuable quality – no-marks like Patrice Evra or Kevin Davies wouldn’t dare try it on against Lauren, he would just stare them into submission.

Don’t agree re Wright potentially outscoring Henry. Wright was the perfect striker, but Henry scored goals with and without service. Some of the goals Henry scored were just outrageous, and frankly I don’t think we’ll ever see the likes of Henry at his best ever again. And he also created many, many goals for others. Epic player.

Jamie, great call on the worst XI. Kaba Diawara was absolutely hilarious wasn’t he? I just reminded myself of what he did after Arsenal (12 games, 0 goals), and here it is:

Marseille: 14 games, 0 goals
    Paris St-Germain: 15 games, 0 goals
    Blackburn: 5 games, 0 goals
    West Ham: 11 games, 0 goals

So that’s 57 games in a row, as a striker, without scoring. He then started scoring again a bit as he wondered around clubs in Turkey, the Gulf, Cyprus, and low level clubs in Italy, Spain and France.

127. Yes, I can see why you may have thought that Evonne. (Needs “thoughtful” emoticon at this point)

SS – I’ve got a liking for Senders as well; I know a crazy thing to say, but I loved his attitude and I wished desperately for him to make it with us.

Oh well.

128. evonne says:

Lee Dixon, of course! It seems that we are spoiled for choice

I forgot about Kaba!! He didn’t last very long, did he?

Off to bed now, have to catch up on last night’s sleeplesness, good night all xx

129. 26may1989 says:

A good night’s sleep, evonne.

130. Hi all

I’ve been knee deep in horse manure and plants for a couple of days, I don’t suppose we’ve signed anyone have we?

131. SharkeySure says:

Chary – two words summed up Big Phil…’Game face’

28-2, Heresy alert !!

With respect to Bergkamp and Henry, whilst they are undoubtedly two of the greatest players that I have ever seen in an Arsenal shirt, who both produced some of the most outrageous pieces of skill that I have ever seen on a football field, I sometimes/often felt that they weren’t always trying their hardest for the team.

Both of them won us many games almost single-handedly at times (especially TH), but I still found myself asking why neither of then hardly ever scored with a header, or even challenged for headers, considering that they were both over 6ft.

When I saw goal kicks being returned by a CB, under no challenge from either of those two, I found myself questioning their desire.

I fully understand that genius and industry are not the best of bedfellows, but especially in Thierry’s case I always wondered how much better he could have been if he had Wrighty’s hunger and desire.

TH chased every lost cause in his earliest days, starting with his debut as a sub vs Leicester. He missed 3 or good chances that day, but I travelled home that evening feeling very very good about his efforts that afternoon.

132. SharkeySure says:

Reyes rolled his injured self back onto the pitch at the Bernabeu in our fabulous win over there. Can he be a legend for that alone..??

He really could have been one of the greats had he stayed.

Oh and btw, it was Edu who introduced Pythagoras to trigonometry. What a great footballer Edu was. Poise, control, technique, balance, eye for a pass, and a fair bit of steel when required.

133. Herb'sArmy says:

Evonne,
    I apologise for my part, and a simple disagreement shouldn’t have spiralled so out of control. In retrospect I think we were both right within the context of our respective points.
    Your knowledge of Arsenal, and football in general is as valid and succinct as everyone elses, as is your undeniable passion.
    I must admit I was quite shocked at how nasty you became, and whilst I understand people leaping to your defence, it is also an indication that they were endorsing such behaviour.
    For that reason I have concluded that blogging isn’t for me. When it stops being enjoyable and fun, it’s time to find something less stressful.
    Hopefully, Arsenal will give us all something to celebrate this coming season and for many more years to come.
    Good luck and good health to you and everyone on ‘Arsenal Arsenal’.

134. evonne says:

Morning Herb, I hope you are still reading this.

Don’t go away because of me. I have been blogging here for a while and made a fool out of myself more than once; it is not difficult amongst guys that know so much; their knowledge base is truly impressive. Yet, none of them had ever called me ignorant, unintelligent, told me not to talk to them, they simply ignore me fro a while :) . I was terribly upset, then angry, then fought back. And I don’t fight by the book, hard life tought me to fight dirty.

As soon as I realised that this argument was goint too far I did apologise and sincerely wanted to stop. It took you a bit longer to accept. But hey, do not cut your nose despite your face. This is a great blog, I will never bother you again and others would be very pleased to hear from you.
    Please, be a man not a mouse :) xx

135. evonne says:

Herb – better still, meet us at the Tavern before a game, I will buy you an orange juice. I don’t drink either :)

136. evonne says:

Herb – one more thing. Bad behaviour is not tolerated on this blog and I was badly told off yesterday for going too far. Peaches gave me a proper dressing down

137. dandan says:

Herb: You have undoubtedly acquired much Arsenal knowledge over the years and have the verbal ability to argue a case. Why then do you feel the need to be so forceful and aggressive, when sharing this knowledge?
    Nobody on here doubts your love of the team or the breadth of that knowledge. What a pity then that you should allow the relentless intensity and negativity of your arguments to alienate fellow Gooners, who in many cases feel as you do, about many of the aspects we discuss.
    This is a friendly forum of many shades of opinion, not all pro Wenger, as I freely admit to being. But you are right, some including me, deliberatly ignore you, knowing that a reply is bound to result in yet another of your tirades. As you strive to convert those that are happy to read your opinion, but do not share it, nor are they likely to, however often you reiterate the points you are making.
    Even if you are right, have you ever considered there are those on here who love the Arsenal as much as you, who want no more than to chat about the club they have followed all their lives and do not wish to be taken out of the comfort zone that their beloved club provides.
    They are not blind or stupid, but still retain the excitement, magic and wonder that the wearers of the Red and White have brought into their daily lives since childhood and have no wish to see it eroded. In a world that is not as comfortable for some as it is others, continual detailed negative analysis is the last thing they need
    So Herb, stay with us and blog away, you do not have to leave, just strive to be not quite so intense and understand as others have wisely suggested to you, that there comes a time when it is obvious, that to agree to differ and move on to something else, is the best result for all concerned.
    By the way we all get ignored from time to time apart from Rasp and that whip cracking redheaded lady, who runs the joint.

138. evonne says:

Morning Dandan,

You are so right – the thing that attracted me to this particular blog is the optimism, cheerfulness and unconditional love for the Club. Many a times I was down after a lost game or another dismal performance. And then I would read the New Post and draw all the positive vibes and the gloom would lift. This blog has undoubtedly enhanced my life and my knowledge. I’d better behave in the future or I’d be kicked out 

I was told times and times again by AAers that there is no point to wallow in sorrows, we cannot change much, but together we can support not just the club, but also each other. And for free!! Cannot ask for much more, can I ?

Bloody hell,
    I thought the stench had cleared. You both have tried to apologise.
    Everyone let it go.

140. evonne says:

Hiya Micky,
    Before you go to get your papers and before I march the German and 2 Chineese fellows, and before there is ‘New post…’ please tell me how on earth did you make your own salami??

141. Thank you dandan, great comment, I hope Herb is still reading xx

Sorry I’ve been out of the loop and Rasp assures me haven’t bought anyone yet – Is this possible or is he pulling my leg?

142. redarse says:

Morning Peeps, :-)

Herb, Evonne, I am glad you two have kissed and made up! :-)

It is one of the hardest things to do in life, that is to apologise, so credit to you both.

It does not hurt all of us to remember, that blogging tho’ great fun, usually, is done without the major human communicating instrument …………….. the face.

An unintentionally hurtful comment, made in jest, can be seen as such, face to face, by a grin or a smile, but with only a screen to communicate, the same comment can read very differently. Once started, a misunderstanding can very quickly escalate to the detriment of both parties.

Hence emoticons are essential when putting our points across, so as to avoid unnecessarily causing offence.

None of the above face to face stuff applies to me, of course. I have one of those fizzogs (is that really an English word?) :-) that is so ugly it causes offence just being there!! :-) Thank Dog for the unseeing screen! :-)

143. Micky – when are the lobsters coming for breakfast?

Evonne – are you taking the little one out aswell? I managed to make it down the stairs :)

144. evonne says:

Red Arse – no offence meant, but I don’t believe a word you said. I bet you are a handsome devil :) There is so little we know about you, the enigmatic Red Arse… tell us your age, go on :)

Peaches – no. No need to take the Pugs out, they’ve done it all at house now!!! Grrrrrhhhhhhhh….. I am not sure I can cope on my own with 3 dogs, a petrified cat and bees…….help!!!! Thank God there isn’t a man to look after too :)

Evonne,
    So simple. Natural casings from your butcher. Some pork mince. Some diced back fat. Salt. Mix. Leave overnight. Stuff. Hang in airy and dry shed. 3 weeks.
    All other flavourings optional. Wine good. Juniper. Whole peppercorns. If outside mould goes green, bin. If mould white, then good. A cheap sausage making machine makes life much easier (£30 online).

146. And you too Red Arse, thankyou xx

Peaches,
    Next new/full moon ie spring tide.

148. redarse says:

Evonne, :-) Enigmatic? Moi? Well at least you got the ‘devil’ bit right!! :-)

Hi Micky, :-)

Lobsters, crabs, saucissons …. no wonder you are popular. You could have a harem with all those skills ….. perhaps you do? :-)

149. I’m so dumb, I just saw a headline on NN about David Villa being excited about playing alongside Cesc and for a moment I was excited that David Villa was coming to us durrrrrrrrrrrrrr – its been a long hard week

150. evonne says:

I am absolutely , useless at cooking, I burn literally everything. Last week I burnt strawberry jam, lots of it. I was too upset to throw it away, so I put it in little jars and labelled them ‘Burnt Strawberry’. You should see Peaches face when she came round to my kitchen :) If she didn’t think me mad before…. I gave her one jar :)

151. redarse says:

Hi Peaches, :-)

If Barca buy Sanchez, with what cash they have, Villa might be surplus to requirements so ……. No Barca cash for Cesc — stays; with Sanchez bought — Villa might go — joins Arsenal — plays alongside Cesc.

You were right all along!! :-)

152. Raddy – are you about, I’ve emailed you

153. Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee – ooooh Red Arse that would be amazing :)

154. Gooner in Exile says:

I see Nasri is giving Arsenal hope he will sign according to the Telegraph.

Altho he is not enamoured with the £80k five year deal we are offering apparently it is more important we will have a team to win trophies.

Now I admit there’s no direct quotes but two things (if true):

1) No one else has offered a better deal
    2) Someone needs reminding that his awful form in the second half of the season contributed to a failure to win trophies.

Morning,

New post……

156. evonne says:

GiE – didn’t Nasri play out of position during the second part of the season? I thought that he played his best during the first half alongside Jack

157. evonne says:

I have just checked Alexis Sanchez on YouTube – geez christ almighty, no wonder Barca want him, who wouldn’t?

158. apple ipad future…

Recently, I did not give lots of consideration to leaving responses on site page reports and have positioned responses even less. Reading through by way of your enjoyable article, will assist me to do so sometimes….

159. I like the helpful information you supply in your articles.
    I’ll bookmark your weblog and test again right here regularly. I’m rather
    sure I’ll learn a lot of new stuff proper right here! Good luck for the following!