What was Djourou doing?

How funny was that, watching England scrape a 2-2 draw against the Swiss yesterday? Dreadful defending by England to give away two free kicks (Scott Parker and Frank Lampard obliged) that were neatly converted when the England centre-backs failed to do their jobs and allowed Switzerland two goals inside 35 minutes. Joe Hart gets a special mention for showing his ‘flappy’ skills.

One of my favourite centrebacks, Johan Djourou, then brings down Jack Wilshere – surely the future of Arsenal and England in the penalty area, and Lampard converts the penalty to make the score 1-2 at half time.

Soon after the re-start Ashley Young brought the scores back level to 2-2.

Our Big Johan wasn’t finished yet though, he earned a yellow card for bringing down Theo Walcott and some say it should have been his 2nd after felling Jack for the penalty. So this guy does know how to be ruthless, he knows that Jack and Theo are real threats and he was willing to snuff them out and take one for the team. He knows they are threats because he sees them in training all week. Or did he take the safe option?

What would we have said if Jack had put Johan’s knee out or Johan had put Theo’s ankle out? It’s a very real risk this International football.

But still, it was very nice to see that Jack really is the future of football in this country, I hope Capello can use him to influence Englands progression to the European Championships. I wouldn’t want him to be part of  two failing teams – now that really wouldn’t be good for the soul.

Written by peachesgooner

108 Responses to What was Djourou doing?

Rasp,
    “If we sell Bendtner and buy Defoe, I’m giving up football”… WHAT????? Please tell me this is just another “reliable source says”.

Peaches,
    Thanks. What exactly does England Goalkeeping Coach Franco Tancredi do to perfectly good keepers?

3. Can’t you see Defoe in Red and White – how fun, that would really upset the scummers wouldn’t it?

It’s such a shame about Nik, I bet he’ll go on to have a great career somewhere else as I just don’t see how we can use him :(

I very much doubt that Capello will be a good influence on Wilshere, as poor Jack would not understand a bloody word he says. Our Jack speaks English :-)

5. To be fair to Hart there was real panic in the area when the Swiss sent in the free kick for the first goal – rather familiar actually ……….

6. Gunner2301 says:

I think rather than trying to put a positive spin on Djourous performance, why not see it for what it really was, a shocking performance that fully explains our problems at the back when we are reliant on someone who is positionally naive, not commanding at set pieces considering his height and not good enough to be a starting CB for a club looking to challenge for titles. Djourou made Senderos look good and we ditched Senderos because he wasn’t good enough. We need a CB badly so that Djourou can play his rightful position as backup only.

Despite Defoe being a Gooner, I am convinced AW will stick with his 4-3-3’ish formation, and for that reason, I don’t believe Defoe is right for the 15/20 games when RvP is injured.

8. And there I was just trying to be kind Gunner2301 :)

Does anyone think Scott Parker is what we need. I know he was world footballer of the year or something, but I say someone taller.

10. Loh says:

I agree with gunner2301. Djourou. Absolutely shocking and is definitely not our answer to our CB problem. Should even consider selling him if a good offer comes by. AW need to buy 2 quality CB in this summer.

11. The advantage Djourou has over other tall footballers is that he’s pretty nifty with the ball at his feet, a quality that Arsene really admires – although I’d rather Nik had some of Djourou’s skills to use up front.

12. Carlito11 says:

Morning all- nice positive spin on djourou’s “lapses” yesterday. Twitter was full of neg comments about the man from out support- I feel we too easily judge based on form rather than ability or “class”. For me big Johan has been one of our best and most consistent players but hit bad form 5-6 weeks ago. It’s been his first full season in the position for us and it’s asking a lot for him to maintain consistency throughout 10 months of the year. Jack was good yesterday but the England midfield reminded me of ours at times this season with a quick ball being played through meaning 3 midfielders had to turn and chase back towards their own goal. A familiar sight!

13. Carlito11 says:

Btw Scott Parker is NOT the answer!

14. London says:

“Djourou made Senderos look good”
    Very funny, but sadly oh so true. Someone forgot to tell Johann than the season had finished and that he didn’t need to play in such a nervous, erratic way. When it comes to exuding confidence Djourou is at the back of the cue. All in all a very embarrassing performance.

Walcott: what do you guys see in him, his close control was awful yet again. Look at the Barça-manu game, close control was everything, pure speed was an almost unnecessary second.

Parker: and some on here want us to sign him, are you crazy? Denilson is more effective with the ball. I know that Parker runs around fast looking all very serious alla Flamini but did you notice how ineffectual he was when he got the ball? For me Parker would be a step backwards, no question.

Wilshere: he is unable to shield the defence on his own, his goal threat is virtually non existent; he fluffed about five opportunities to play various players through on goal leaving me at a loss as to what exactly he was supposed to be doing out there — and then — he played a slide rule pass that put Bent through on goal and the question was answered in full.

15. javea says:

Guys you are deluded if you think Djorou is a defender for Arsenal. The guy has been hiding all season along and slowly he is exposed now. You don’t want him anywhere near the defense next season if we want to go on all four front.

16. London says:

Bendtner and Chamakh are too similar we only really need one of them and so it seems to me that the variety that Defoe would hypothetically bring to the table would benefit the squad.

London Hi,
    “Walcott: what do you guys see in him”. You can count me out of that group, thank you :-)
    He is a 2nd XI’er/Impact Sub for me. Ok a very expensive one.

18. Davi says:

Djourou started the season really well, but fell away dramatically after his shoulder injury. Not really sure why. Hopefully he’ll put it right in time for the start of next season, but we need him to be able to last the entire season, otherwise, what’s the point?
    I think wenger will sign a more experienced, tall CB to partner TV or Kos, and JD will slip to 3rd/4th choice for a while. No need to write him off, he’s still young for a CB and to be fair I think this was the first time he has been able to play for almost a complete season as a CB. He was a midfielder until fairly recently and I think his positioning will improve with age and experience.
    Don’t think senderos was/is a bad defender at all btw. He was also fairly young when he played for us, and aside from the odd lapse against drogba (who was good against drogba in his prime anyway!?) or in one game against torres, he actually did a good job for us. Think he suffered mentally from those bad games, and felt he just needed to switch clubs to put those bad moments behind him and move forward.

19. London says:

Hi Davi

I always enjoy your well reasoned comments; I am not sure why you don’t comment on AA more often?

However, as usual, I do slightly disagree with something: I do not believe that Djourou would accept being 4th choice; he, like Senderos, would leave. Wenger knows that Djourou would not accept the idea of spending key years of his career on the bench and it is for that reason I think you may be disappointed in your expectation of a new tall CB arriving in the summer. Naturally, I hope I am wrong as I want the squad strengthened as much as the next supporter.

20. goonerwife says:

Djourou is just out of form. he did really well this season i thgought. At the time alot of people seemed to think so too. i guess one game is all you get these days. Christ!

21. TotalArsenal says:

Good post Peaches. JD did not have the best of games, but let’s indeed not judge JD’s performance on the last game of a long football season. Davi’s comment at 12.21 sum it all up. Djourou made great progress this season and more is to come next season when he is partnered with TV. Just think back about Chelsea at home and Birmingham away when he was an absolute rock for us.

22. London says:

No Goonerwife

One game is not all you get, the comments above have all been aimed at his performance yesterday which was poor. This does not mean that we have forgotten his fine performanace against manu at home, for example.

23. London says:

Who are these people who are summing up Djourou’s career on yesterday’s performance, where are they?

24. Carlito11 says:

London- they were all over twitter yesterday- felt like an avalanche of comments writing him off based on one performance. I think I agree with the gist of Davi and Goonerwife’s comments that the man is in a slump but he has the overall quality to continue to improve. I remember TA looking ordinary and having bad games and while JD isn’t in his league I think a better 3rd/4th choice would be hard to find.

25. gunngunn says:

JD looked jittery, “erratic” since his shoulder injury he’s kinda been that way. Perhaps he came back too soon? I personally think so.

26. London says:

Hi Carlito

Probably the person who counts the most is not going to be writing him of in the foreseeable future. (Wenger)

27. Jamid mohd says:

Nasri may be asking for more money. It could be he is getting fed up because the gunners can’t seem to be winning a trophy. I don’t blame him for wanting to move to Ot where the promise of trophies is better.Blame Wenger for this state of affairs.
    While he dilly dallied last term,the rf went ot win the title. I need say no more. If the gunners don’t win a trophy next term,he better resign.

28. willy young says:

Shocking game for the gunners!! Doujouro was awful sadly I really thought he might make it but looked 4th / 5th choice!! What were Theo and Jack doing on the invisisble wall?? Shows Arse players can’t dont understand defending. Theo no end product again. Jack was ok but needs long rest.

Quite worrying really

29. del says:

hot of the press, Nasri will NOT sign a new contract and will leave……. remember where you heard it

30. Carlito11 says:

I notice Wenger says we need more height to stop leaking goals from set pieces but willy young has it right- it’s understanding HOW to defend set pieces that will make more difference than having one more tall player in the mixer

31. TotalArsenal says:

RvP had a decent game yesterday against/in Brazil. He doesn’t receive the same level of service when he plays for Holland as he does at Arsenal. Especially Arjen Robben seems to forget him too many times, otherwise he would have surely scored yesterday. Affelay had a great game (especially first 45 minutes) and if Cesc were to leave for Barca, I really hope a swap for him would be part of a deal. Affelay can play left and right midfield, in the hole as well as centre of midfield in a 4-4-2. A quite complete football player who surely has a great future ahead of him.

32. Davi says:

Hi London, thanks for the comments :)

I think with injuries and rotation, JD will get enough football. If eboue leaves, he could get games at fullback as well.
    If not, I’m still not sure about whether he would get fed up so quickly tbh. There were a lot of issues that could have caused big phil to get fed up, before he left, apart from just being 3rd choice for so long. He got mauled by the fans and media pretty regularly, and it seemed to affect his performances. I think he made a good decision in leaving and looking for a fresh start elsewhere, and I still believe he will end up being the top defender he was always meant to be.
    Djourou is a less natural defender, but improving. From the interviews I’ve seen of him, my impression is that he is a nice guy, not necessarily the sort of person to lose patience quickly and seems to be well aware he is still in a learning stage of his career. I don’t think he will want to leave for being 3rd choice for the next couple of years at least – unless he suffers similar problems to senderos of course. Could be wrong, I’m just speculating.

33. TotalArsenal says:

Davi, agree with you. JD would be going nowhere and fight for his place, if a new CB would be bought. Any player who would want to leave and not fight for his place if and when a new ‘competitor’ arrives, should not be at Arsenal in the first place.

34. goonermichael says:

Do I want to go to Man United? First, we should see if it’s real and if it is concrete.”

Does anyone know if this is a direct quote from nasri?

35. barumgooner says:

I agree that JD would be happy as as a 3rd choice but would he not be 4th choice if a new face came in, with TV + Anovr and Kos next ?

If you believe all the rumours then we are set to lose Nasri, Cesc, Clichy, and AA in the coming weeks plus Den and Nikb who look certain to leave. I must confess I am a little bit concerned not only at the loss of good players but also that it might mean that a couple of the lesser players who should be moved on will end up staying out of neccessity.

36. London says:

It is all very well to start banging the chest about this but there are a few subtleties that are getting missed.

Surely we all agree that if a new CB was brought he should be better than Koscielny and Djourou after all if he wasn’t what would be the point of signing him, right?

Ok, so now we have a situation in which everyone will demand that the best CB pairing play every game when they are fit and that should obviously be the new CB and Vermaelen.

In theory, being the best pair they should play together for the whole of the season. I know injuries happen but that is less guaranteed than people think and if there is an injury then Koscielny may well be the person who stands in.

This leaves Djourou out in the cold for the majority of the season and tell me, how does a player improve if he is not playing? It’s a rhetorical question – he doesn’t.

The macho idea of fighting for your place only exists in the mind of supporters, professional footballers want to play football which in itself strikes me as a reasonable desire and not a sign of weakness.

Djourou has done plenty of bench warming while at Arsenal. Defenders with EPL experience are in great demand, he would ask to leave and get snapped up in an instant.

37. barumgooner says:

GM, I honestly didnt see Nasri as a mercenary but It doesn’t sound good does it ?

38. barumgooner says:

I see your point London but not buying a more experienced central defender given JDs past injury problems would be a big gamble which norally AW would more than happily take. This year i’m just not sure he can afford to risk it.

39. goonermichael says:

If it is a direct quote we should break his legs.

40. You find him gm and I’ll break his legs ;)

What a creep!!!! We get rid of Gallas because he and Nasri didn’t get on and now he wants to go to the manks!!!

By the way, I don’t believe he said it :lol:

41. barumgooner says:

Perhaps I tiny bit harsh gm. haha. It does sound more like an agents quote to me to test the water and raise his players hand a little.

42. That’s the reason I feel Koscielny should be TommyV’s partner next year.Not Djourou.Not a new player.But Kozzer.Just take a look at the extremely big matches, especially at Koscielny’s performances in those games.
    Never seen a defender play so well against Messi tbh.

43. It seems every summer we need a centre-back.

I would say that Djourou had a great season and only fell away when everyone else did too and we should be pleased for him as he was out for the whole season the year before.

A rotating Verminator, Kosser and Djourou with a new 4th choice perhaps is what we’ll get or maybe not even that. Squidgy must have signed a 2 year deal so no pressure to move him on.

44. barumgooner says:

I have to agree that Its a bit strange considering we have had a bad season defensively I am pleased with both Kos and JD. Both have been very good and had TV been available it could have been so different.

If it’s a direct quote from Nasri I hope AW comes out and says we will never sell him to another British club.

Let him spend next year on the bench. I know it would mean him leaving on a free, but seriously… he’s inviting an approach from ManUre?

46. 26may1989 says:

Thanks for the post peaches.

Djourou: Was crap yesterday, had half a good season this year (including some epic performances) but varied from poor to utter liability from February on. I think we need better as a first pick, though am happy for him to be in the squad.

Wilshere: Did pretty well I thought, pretty much England’s most dangerous player before Young came on. The pass to Bent (who should have buried it) was fantastic – and who says LJ doesn’t do defence-splitters? Pah I say.

Theo: Did ok for me. And if that northern monkey, James Milner, had actually been looking, he would have played Theo in when he was in acres in space and positioned perfectly to score one of those Theo chances he does so well with. But no, Mr Monkey chose to hold onto the ball and screwed up one of England’s best chances that didn’t fall to Darren “My aim is” Bent.

Senderos: Best defender on the pitch by a country mile. Liked the look of Baines yesterday though.

Hart: Goals like those make keepers look silly but they’re all about the defenders’ failings. Where the hell was Terry for the first one, and Ferdinand missed the flight of the ball. Three Swiss players got in front of our defenders, with only misjudging Ferdinand actually tracking back. Once the ball was missed, Hart had no chance to react. And on number two, what the pigging hell was Mr Milner Monkey doing??! What a complete tit, moved out of the way when all he needed to do was bleedin stand still. Footballers really are cretins sometimes. I don’t blame Hart for either goal yesterday.

Bent: Why didn’t he play like that at Ashburton Grove a few weeks ago?

Switzerland: Didn’t even play that well. England just played worse.

Nasri: The quotes are directly attributed to him by the French TV programme, Téléfoot. What they say on their website is roughly as follows: “Especially coveted by both Manchester clubs, will Samir Nasri extend his contract at Arsenal? ‘I don’t know,’ he replied on Téléfoot. ‘Discussions are in progress. I haven’t really thought about it. I still have some important deadlines with the selection.’ Has the Gunner been contacted by Manchester [United]? He kicked that into touch saying ‘We must ask the agents. We must see if it’s concrete. Then he will ask the right questions and talk about it with the club after the match against Poland.”

With only a few exceptions, football players are all scumbags I’m afraid.

47. goonermichael says:

I’ve already had my heart broken by cesc now nasri is being a slut :(

48. London says:

Cesc has never once said he wants to leave Arsenal, it is unrealistic for him to say he wants to stay every single time a newspaper needs to find a way of filling some column inches. It is also unrealistic in view that he could never know if Arsenal would sell him if the price was right.

If we haven’t had enough experience of this stuff by now with Cesc, Henry , Vieira, and Wenger to know when we are just being wound up there are now people turning their back on Nasri because of a couple of twitter messages. FFS show some support.

49. London says:

Silly me, it is on Téléfoot it must be true.

50. TotalArsenal says:

London @2.47: ‘a new CB should be better than Koscielny and Djourou’. Don’t agree. He should be better than Squillaci. All our CB’s have a history of injury-‘proneness’. We need four quality CB’s to ensure a consistent performance in this key area of our defence/team.

51. 26may1989 says:

Not to worry, I’m sure we’ll see the now traditional denial tomorrow. And Nasri’s agent will still have got the message across to Arsenal and any would-be buyers.

52. goonermichael says:

Who’s turning their back on anyone?

53. TotalArsenal says:

London @4.28 agreed. Nasri is simply in contract negotiations and we just have to be patient and not get wound up by the eternally gossip-hungry press.

54. TotalArsenal says:

26, good to hear you had a great holiday in Sardinia. I have not been yet, but one day I will.

@3.47 re Jack: that pass to Bent, preceded by a great and already trademark run by Wilshire, was simply sublime. RvP or Shrek would have scored from such a pass.

It surprises me more and more how after so many years of the chinny Italian in charge, there is still no familiar line/system to the England team. you never know what to expect from one game to another. Yet Jack is Jack, and we can all see what he brings to this team, in whatever England team he plays. What a prospect – by far the best player on the pitch yesterday.

55. 26may1989 says:

Cheers Total, and all agreed.

By the way, The Guardian has a youtube link for THAT Dennis Bergkamp goal vs Argentina. God, it’s good, I love that guy.

56. London says:

GM

It was a just a general rant into the ether rather than being aimed at anyone in particular.

57. Red Arse says:

26,

I take it you do not really like Mr Monkey?

He speaks highly of you! :-)

58. goonermichael says:

I hope we don’t lose Nasri or Cesc for that matter. When does the window open?

59. Mickeyk says:

Two failing teams and thier will not win a thing .England haven’t got a chance of winning anything .arsenal won’t get in the top four next sseason.

60. Mickeyk says:

Djourou is crap bentners crap walcots a fairy wimp who only thinks of his own performance and talks about himself what a wimp nasri can f..koff does he think afc will colapse with out him .cesc can go the quicker the better.and get rid of all the dead money wasters at arsenal .out with the old in with the older.

61. London says:

Total Arsenal

You have flummoxed me: you say, CB wise, we need someone that is better than Squilaci but not necessarily better than either Djourou or Koscielny….unusual but fair enough.

Most people want someone who would be an improvement on Djourou and Koscielny. Naturally, I would not say no but I really don’t expect Wenger to do that for the reasons I have given above.

62. Mickeyk says:

They can all f..k off out of are great club these players are nothing without arsenal get rid of these wasters .sell the lot of em and theyll soon find out there not as good as they think they are they’ll soon wake up .don’t give that snide nasri a new contract sell him to man u f..k him off the wrongun. And cesc all of em gat some hungry players in not wimps thre to soft at afc man up.

63. goonermichael says:

Mickey
    You say we’re finished then you say we won’t collapse if Nasri goes. don’t we need him to qualify for the europa league?

64. goonermichael says:

Ryan Giggs model prtofessional :)

65. goonermichael says:

one day I’ll learn to slepl

Peaches
    Post in drafts.

67. TotalArsenal says:

Hi London, I am surprised you’re flummoxed about that. If I say that next season between 10-20% of all matches we have two injuries/suspensions/fatigue to either TV, JD, or Koz, would I be too pessimistic? Don’t think so. This means we would see our friend Scillaci selected for 5-12 matches. Recruiting a better CB than Scillaci would therefore make sense. Whether this is going to happen or not, is a totally different matter.

68. TotalArsenal says:

26, you can never get enough of a goal like that. Bergkamp had it all to do, but Frank de Boer’s pass was sublime as well. TH once said that Zidane touches the ball with his feet the way we touch a ball with our hands (so much feeling). On that day, Bergkamp showed he had exactly the same ability.

69. London says:

Total Arsenal

I am not trying to say you are wrong about the amount of injuries we are likely to incur I am just surprised your wish list is so reasonable.

70. TotalArsenal says:

London, agreed it is reasonable: many others will want a better CB than JD and Koz. I think they are both good and just had their first almost-full season in the PL. You would expect them to grow further in the seasons ahead. The two other areas I would like us to improve is a quality winger and a LB (assuming Cesc and Nasri are staying).

71. London says:

A quality winger…hmmmmm would he play ahead of Arshavin or ahead of Walcott?

And a left back, once again how do you see it? Would he play head of Clichy, be a replacement for Clichy or be back up for Clichy but be ahead of Gibbs and Traore?

72. The left back question is the hardest to fathom IMO. Does Arsene allow Clichy to go and then feverishly try to find a replacement or does he identify one and then tell Clichy he can go – either way if he doesn’t know who he wants we’re in trouble.

In addition weren’t Real Madrid in for Clichy a couple of summers ago and he said he never wanted to leave Arsenal.

73. ……. and if Nasri goes where do we get our extra goals from? Not from Jack that’s for sure ….

……. mind you Ramsey is cool in front of goal ……

74. TotalArsenal says:

London, re winger: I would hope we could get a better one than either Walcott or Arshavin. A new LB would ideally be a replacement for Clichy.

75. London says:

I have never heard one single reliable word that has made me believe that Clichy wants to leave. I mean ok he has been with us for a long time and might want to experience football in one other country at one stage in his career but he has got it pretty good at Arsenal especially when you consider his crossing leaves a lot to be desired and his ability to drop a clanger will not increase the list of suitors. This all leaves me thinking why on earth would he want to leave?

76. TotalArsenal says:

Hi Peaches, you are right in pointing out the dilemma of replacing Clichy. It is never easy.

77. London says:

Lol Total Arsenal

I see your wish list is not quite as humble as I first thought.

If the winger plays ahead of Walcott then you must agree that Walcott should be sold to make way for him. Walcott is not going to allow himself to rot on the bench he will want away.

78. London says:

The thing I am quite excited about is the option Wenger will have to alternate Ramsey and Wilshere. I got a real bee in my bonnet about Wilshere towards the end of the season, he was playing too many games and became ineffectual. I think I am over it now I realise that it had more to do with other injuries than Wenger’s insistence of playing him every game, anyway this should change in the forthcoming season.

79. Herb'sArmy says:

How many times has it been said by many Arsenal fans, Walcott and Arshavin aren’t wingers. If AW needs to fix one thing, it’s to stop playing square pegs in round holes. I really hope we don’t buy Defoe. If he isn’t good enough for Tottenham…

80. TotalArsenal says:

Ok London, this has been your point of view consistently. I believe we need both more cover in those positions as well as a bit of healthy competition. We could be playing 50+ games next season again (hopefully). Minimum requirement is 4 wingers within our squad: Nasri, Walcott, Arshavin, new recruit. This does not mean a lot of sitting on the bench, even in the rare event that all these players remain fit throughout the whole season (which would be a small miracle), as these players can play in other positions as well.

81. TotalArsenal says:

Hey Herby, I would say Arshavin is pretty close to a real winger, but he is not consistent/bothered enough. Walcott is pretty close to a winger too, but he finds it hard to play in the Arsenal system. I would say the MU system would suit Walcott better. But I agree they are not in the mould of Overmars, Robben, Ribery, etc. Good wingers are hard to find.

82. Herb'sArmy says:

Hi TA,

why are we referring to Arshavin, Walcott and Nasri as wingers?

83. TotalArsenal says:

But HA, what’s the alternative? Wenger likes to play pressure football where we hem in the opposition within their own box. Classical wingers would find it hard to find the space during those ‘suffocation spells’. Nasri and Arshavin do a decent winger-job within this style of play, but Theo is still finding his way, yet doesn’t seem to have the required close ball-control.

84. Herb'sArmy says:

Didn’t Arshavin play in the Bergkamp role at Zenit? As for Walcott, it gets me down when I see him out wide. He just doesn’t cut it. All our best players are linked with moves away, never Walcott. Why is that? Because he isn’t good enough.

85. Herb'sArmy says:

TA,

What Wenger likes and what his players actually produce are two entirely different things, as witnessed in our now annual collapse. And Nasri went missing for the 2nd half of the season.

86. TotalArsenal says:

Sure HA, Arshavin can play in the hole: he has got the skills but has he got the stamina and concentration i.e. is he prepared to work his socks off? Don’t think so. I have my doubts about Theo as well, but being a glass-halve-full person, I hope the best is yet to come. Is he the ideal ‘super-sup’ to come on when we are 1-0 or 2-0 up to make use of the space that inevitably becomes available?

87. TotalArsenal says:

HA, remember the Chelsea home game: Nasri, Cesc, Song, Walcott and RvP upfront. Everybody worked hard and Chelsea were very well beaten. Theo said after the game the reason we won it was the pressing by all players, and he was right.

We might have an issue of consistency and maybe strength of depth, but our players can play the Wenger way.

88. Herb'sArmy says:

For me TA, Walcott isn’t good enough for the PL.

89. Herb'sArmy says:

Remember TA, we caught Chelsea in their worst run since Abramovich arrived, and it took them a while to re-group after Ray Wilkins left.

90. TotalArsenal says:

Agreed HA, but then there is always something you could pick on. They still had a strong team out there, and we beat them fair and square.

Anyway, got to go, goodnight HA.

91. goonermichael says:

Has anyone (who can understand french) watched the nasri interveiw?

92. Herb'sArmy says:

Goodnight TA.

93. [...] What was Djourou doing? How funny was that, watching England scrape a 2-2 draw against the Swiss yesterday? Dreadful defending by England to [...] [...]

94. Duh!! says:

Djourou took Wilshere down to earn himself a yellow card!!! NOT WALCOTT

95. London says:

And who said anything to the contrary?

Morning London,

Duh, has clearly misread the post and felt the need to be critical rather than add anything constructive to the discussion.

97. London says:

Morning Rasp

So it looks like Harry is going to pickup a pair of cockney sparras in Parker and Cole, I think they will need more than that if they lose Modric.

I agree, Cole is way past his peak and Parker although possessing a big heart, didn’t look in the same league as Wilshere for England – so I hope ‘arry succeeds and gets them both. I suspect he subscribes to the myth that you need as many English players as possible to give the side ‘grit’.

Back to the CB discussion. An obvious solution is to buy a quality back up DM. In the unlikely event of having 2 CB injuries we can play Song at CB and the new fella in Song’s position.

Song’s indiscipline cost us dearly last season and he needs pressure on him to buck up – Denilson is not an alternative.

The goals against coming primarily from set plays indicates a lack of tactical awareness not frailty in our back 5. (IMO). e.g We look better defensively when Nik is playing because he is very good in the air.

100. Larry Kamvazina says:

Bergy’s goal against the dirty argies was pure class!I haven’t seen a technically perfect international goal since.FACT!

At least there is discussion about who Harry is going to sign whereas all the AFC talk is about who is leaving!

Here’s a hypothetical question to start the day. We all know that the Nasri story is fired by the press but manu are sniffing around him and Modric ……. who would you prefer in the Arsenal side, Nasri or Modric? Taking into account their relative performances throughout the season, I’d have to plump for Modric (but it would never happen)

Mornig Raddy,

As usual we are not the proactive ones in the transfer market. We have to wait and see which of our ‘stars’ decide they wantaway before we can talk about replacements it seems.

104. TotalArsenal says:

Morning BR, what about an additional CB with the option of JD or Koz playing as defensive DM now and again?

There’s a New Post

106. goon box says:

thank god king has been crocked all season or we be on c5 every thursday.drogba has never scored vrs spurs from open play when leadley king has played.nasri ur scum

107. goon box says:

rasp ur right but if modric stays(and my spud m8s say he will)and nasri go’s then the spuders will never be of or case lifes hard as it is for me as most of my m8s are spuds and bust my balls every day in life.ps modric hates vidic and all serbs cus they killed his grandad when that place was at war,kicked the life out of each other at whl this season