What’s Arsène worth? – Debunking an Arsène Wenger Myth.

How many times do we read of the size of Mr Wenger’s wage packet? Some have said that our leader benefits from the profitability of the club which they proclaim accounts for his penchant to buy small and his insistence of selling big. Thankfully, this nonsense has been rebutted and rarely raises it’s ugly head, even in the most anti-AW sites.

We know that Mr Wenger is paid £6m a year. A huge wage. Is he deserving of it? Does this affect his performance insomuch as he is guaranteed his wage whether the team performs or not? What is your opinion?

Here is mine. Let us assume that Arsène has been earning an average of  £3m a year throughout his AFC tenure (probably conservative). 13 years adds up to almost £40m. Take away a lump in tax, say 50% = £20m in cash, in the bank. This is without the inevitable increases a man of his financial abilities will promote. Furthermore, a few years as Head Coach in a League winning Monaco team and a couple of years in the highly paid J League  – both of which were tax-free – would mean he was a wealthy man even prior to his AFC calling.

In other words, this is a man with a probable bank balance of in excess of £25m. A rich man, no let me amend that, an enormously rich man.

What would you do if you were 61 years old and had more money than you could ever spend? Would you go through the frustrations of trying to satisfy an insatiable Arsenal fanbase? Would you take the insults aimed at you from the blogs and terraces? Or would you say, “Enough. It is pipe and slippers time”?

My point is that it is totally irrelevant how much AW earns at the moment. It has no impact whatsoever upon his efficiency as Arsenal manager. He does it because he loves AFC and believes he is the best man for the job.

In my opinion, to suggest that Mr Wenger stays at Arsenal for the money is a nonsense, but if you know better …………

Written by Big Raddy

189 Responses to What’s Arsène worth? – Debunking an Arsène Wenger Myth.

Morning,

Nice little nugget of a post Raddy. The summer lull is a good time to put some myths to bed once and for all.

AW is the last man to be motivated purely by money – that’s why he’s mooted as a candidate for the FIFA job.

I also cannot understand how any manager can be paid less than his highest paid player. I know its a market economy, but if a player is earning more than his manager, that means that the club values him more highly – how on earth can that manager then assert his authority over the player?

2. Che Guevara says:

Who wrote dat? :-)

Good point, well taken.

The other side of the coin in measuring worth is to assess what the club gets for its money in return.

I think over the years AW has repaid his salary many times over, as well as overseeing and driving home the design and development of the stadium, the training ground and its facilities etc.

Over and above that he is a decent, honest man who has given me, and many others, wonderfully entertaing football, although we went thru a rough patch at the end of the season.

Your point tho’ is perfectly correct. AW does not need to manage for the money, he does it for his own reasons and not least of these, I am convinced, is his determination to make Arsenal great again.

Viva Le Prof! Viva L’Arsenal! Viva La Revolucion! :-)

Well said Che – or is it he of the rubicund derriere? :P

4. The cabbie says:

If you want to protest do it by not purchasing a match program

On a serious note and relating to the ongoing discussion re FIFA corruption – is there a site with an online petition for football fans worldwide to register their dissatisfaction with FIFA?

6. I think Arsene loves the club more than anybody else. The board pays him 6million. I don’t think he would have demanded the 6 million.

Season Review: Part I http://delhigunner.wordpress.com/2011/05/31/season-review-part-i/

7. WiganGooner says:

Interesting read. I think Arsene himself has said many times the day he feels like he doesn’t want to challenge himself any more is the day he will quit.

As you say, its not about money and top-level player’s and manager’s aren’t really interested in the money because they know they will always earn top-dollar if they choose to.

I tell you now, I bet Messi’s contract negotiations don’t take half a season like Nasri. Messi loves playing football at the highest level and challenging himself every game. The money is a huge benefit but it’s second to his enjoyment of the game.

If Arsenal had a few more player’s who felt like that and we’d be onto a winner.

WG

8. WiganGooner says:

@ Rasp..

I hope there is, I’ll have to have a google later on

WG

Thanks WG,

For once all football fans should unite and drive these villains out of our game, they represent no one’s best interest other than their own.

10. GunnerPete says:

At no time have I thought Arsene was in it just for the money. He could have doubled that wage in Dubai or Japan or even Spain…but he is a Gunner now and will stay for AFC pride. Yes he has made many bad mistakes re; buys in the past 5 seasons that have cost us at least 3 titles and many cups…I tend to think that was because of his determination to give us a great new stadium with the added income for the next 20+ years and not because he is tight. My real hope now is that the hiarachy can sort themselves out and decide who will own the club etc. I hope that if Stan owns us that he will offer Usmaov a place on the board immediately. This will give us power in USA & Russia with their contacts etc. We will then have the marketing base that is superior to all the rest and can increase our off field income by a vast ammount. Mind you Arsene has to spend at least £55 mill this summer on UK quality plus a couple of foreign stars who are at the top now like Benzema & Chellini. Add to them Jones & Samba and we have a squad.

Morning all,

Post was prompted by a suggestion on the site (not from a regular) that AW was in it for the money.

GunnerPete. AW will not spend 55m in summer. He never has and I doubt very much he ever will. We are not a team in crisis – despite the media witch hunt, we are a team that needs better defensive coaching and a DM who can cover with discipline.

When we played well against the big clubs last season it was invariably a result of Song maintaining his defensive duties

12. WiganGooner says:

In a bit of shameless self-advertisement, please see my post @ http://www.wigangooner.co.uk/

“What is the obsession with Christopher Samba”

Thanking you

WG

13. Morning all, I agree with the rationale of the post that Wenger is not in it to milk the club dry – for all his faults he is not a mercenary, yes I believe he can be stubborn and intransigent but it’s obvious he could have earned more elsewhere, especially 4 or 5 years ago when his stock was much higher.

Going back to the hilarity in Wembley on Saturday – I note with disappointment, but not surprised, that the hacks have painted Shrek and his cohorts as valiant losers against the Catalans.

When we lose to them we are an embarrassment to the EPL and its conclusive proof that we are in a state of terminal decline.

When the purple nosed ones rabble lose they are merely victims of an act of god – funny that ?

14. WiganGooner says:

@ Rasp

Closest I can find is this from Sky News..

Asking for a debate between candidates, but there is a comments section that could be well used to suggest a complete overhaul of the presidential election system.

WG

WG, Read your post and agree. Samba, though useful, is not mobile enough.

Chary. You never disappoint!

16. Che Guevara supports Peaches says:

Hi Rasp, :-)

Can I recommend another site, which has a brilliant article today regarding Arsenal’s finances.

It is a lengthy statement, but should be required reading for all Gooners — and it was not written by me. :-)

Gunnerpete, you make sensible points about the Kroenke/Usmanov shareholding, and Board arrangements, that is not conducive to good running of the company as it stands.

I have often commented on the lamentable commercial deals we have entered into, perhaps because of circumstances, that leave us lagging 2 or 3 times by value behind Manyoo, Barca and Madrid.

I am sure Silent Stan will be addressing this as a priority in the future, but certainly the Russian market is one area that can be exploited.

17. John says:

Well said that man!
    This last few weeks of the season has been the hardest ever to take. However, the fans will quickly forgive Wenger once we get that trophy again.
    The one thing I would hope for next season is that the media start to praise this squad to the degree they deserve. Fat chance! Ok, perhaps they could treat us the same as any other team (except United) and be fairly neutral. I think the constant negativity began to get to the players and that one single mistake in the Carling Cup final had them believeing that perhaps they really were a despicable team with no right to be challenging for the title. A few less bottlers and a bigger self belief (like getting wins against United and Chelsea earlier in the season will go a long way to doing that).
    As far as I am concerned we are the closest team to Barcelona and we are much closer to them than United, as we proved this season. A meat and potatos defender and DM whon stays where he should will sort that out.
    One of the most stupid things is that Arsenal need to dismantle the squad and start again. No, no, no. That is what some nasty little blighters want people to believe. No, this team needs 3 signings at most to be supreme in the Premiership and to get that away win against Barcelona. Had the Carling Cup come after the Champions League away leg then we might well have won both.
    Don’t believe the doubters, this team is the best in England already and a bit of nitty gritty defensive/set piece work will make us unstoppable and not vulnerable to imposions under pressure.
    We are the Gunners – we are the best. Don’t lose the faith.

18. LOL Radders, I’m sure most here would have imagined me doing cartwheels on Saturday evening, especially when Villa delicately chipped VdS for the 3rd, with that f**ktard Evra having a hepling hand in all 3 goals as well as Nanny goat playing a one two with a Barca player in the lead up to the 3rd goal.

Justice is sweet and we now have two things to cheer us up after the end of a pretty hateful season from a gooners point of view(the other being the relegation of the financially destitute Brum Scum, with no sign of their barber shop owner being able to bail them out.)

19. Gooner in Exile says:

Top post Raddy, well said.

WG haven’t read your post yet but I reckon I’ll be inagrerment.

20. Che – can you put a link up to the financial post you mention from another site.

I’m going into hiding now before Rasp tells me off :oops:

21. Greg Timothy says:

i think not being under pressure has madeWenger complacent. He knows he will get his salary at the end of each season,whether the gunners win or not.I could not believe it when he said finishing second for the next twenty could be rated successgul.That is why the gunners will forever be perpual losers under the FM.
    You look at the red faced.He is plotting revevnge for the painful beating.If he were to meet Barca again in the cl stages/qf/sf/f, hw will lose 99.9% of the time.
    i like his attitude of toppling barca as a challenge.
    It aint going to be easy.It would be best for him to retire when he is on a winning epl streal otherwise if he werte to lose anothe cl final,his name will be dragged into the mud.

Go on Che, put up your link by all means, I’ve never had a problem with linking to sites that have good relevant articles, we’re not in a competition for hits with anyone.

23. WiganGooner says:

@ Rasp

Just a thought for your summer comings and goings list..

Isn’t Serge Gnabry signing this summer from Stuttgart?

WG

24. London says:

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.

I like these short summer, thought provoking posts.

25. London says:

Hey Rasp

If you have a moment, can you explain what is going on in the “In an Out” box above: who are the two new ins and have Randall and Cruise simply been released?

26. Puke itopa felix says:

Agreed with u john u just made d point..all gunnaz faithful should sip a pipe 4rm dis

27. WiganGooner says:

@ London

Randall and Cruise have not had their contracts renewed and have been released to find new clubs. Their footballing futures lie away from Arsenal.

This is mainly due to stalled development on both parts, though Randall’s decline has been nothing short of epic after his breakthrough season.

WG

28. TotalArsenal says:

HI BR, another thought-provoking post! Wenger is indeed not in it for the money. He could get more somewhere else if he wanted to. Six million is a lot of money though, and I can understand some fans’ frustrations; especially in the current economic climate.

Great stuff Raddy. Thank you.
    I am not even going to bother trying to think of another business model where 24 year old employees take more money out of the business than people who invest 100’s of millions in the same venture. The whole model is utterly nuts. On the AW question, he does it to be the best.
    Moving swiftly on, I for one, hope we sign at least two horribly expensive players on extremely vulgar wages! It is a mad mad world this football thing.

30. Danish Gooner says:

He could go to some oil country but exactly were is the challenge in that.He couldnt join,Barca,Madrid,Milan,Inter etc because they wouldnt like to wait a century for one cup final,he would be sacked the first time he said something like coming second for twenty years would be fine.In fact Wenger could be nowhere else and earn an exorbitant amount of money and produce nothing season after season,Arsenal is the perfect vehicle for him,no pressure from the board whatsoever and absolutely no pressure to deliver trophies that is uniquely Arsenal and a complete lack of ambition.

31. TotalArsenal says:

DG: No pressure, and a complete lack of ambition?! Are you serious? Do you ever watch the man, on the pitch, or when he is being interviewed?

You should not take his comment about coming 2nd for the next 20 years too serious, but dig a bit deeper in what he was trying to say.

32. TotalArsenal says:

serious = seriously

33. WiganGooner says:

DG – If there ever was a manager who left nothing back in the changing rooms it’s Arsene.

He’s got more passion for the game than you give him credit for. Yes he is handsomely paid, but he is much more than a head coach. He has driven Arsenal to where we are today.

TA is right, Arsene can’t come out in the media and tell the world Denilson is crap, or Almungo, or Bendtner because he wants to sell them.

He can’t scream and say it’s crap finishing fourth because he still needs his players to believe and he needs to convince incoming players that we are still a good prospect.

DG – I think you need to consider the bigger picture.

WG

34. Che Guevara supports Peaches says:

Sorry Peachy and Rasper, I have been out for a coffee! :-)

I am ashamed to admit that I do not have a clue how to find ‘links’ let alone link the lonks! (I know, but lonks looks funnier) :-)

I can point you at it tho’.

It was on Newsnow at 9:22, headed ‘Arsenal transfer Budget’ (site) The Swiss Ramble.

It has absolutely everything anyone could possibly want to know, and if I had written it I would be proud of myself. Worth printing out.

Ah ha, so the red bit of your arse refers to your Trotskyite leanings :-)
    Coffee, mmm good idea.

36. Che Guevara supports Peaches says:

Hi WG, :-)

Well said sir, although you are wasting your time with DG, he is the antithesis of optimism. :-)

In the papers today, young Jack has said that Arsene takes all the flak on his own shoulders, after poor games, to save the players and they know that.

He also said the criticism of AW was not fair because Arsene does not run out on the pitch and play like a wassock, that is down to the players and agin they know it.

If DG was a player he would be the exception, of course, and would have a Wassock Exemption Permit! :-)

Hi London,

Sorry I’ve been otherwise engaged.

As WG says, the two ‘outs’ are being released, the two ‘ins’ are 16 year olds out of the Barca academy – both ‘clever attacking midfielders’ I believe.

No worries Che, I’m sure someone will find it.

39. TotalArsenal says:

A Trotskyite, creative accountant, with a gift for verbosity, who is on a mission (statement)? Rood Achterwerk,we are blessed to have you in our AA!

WG,

I was only going to make entries into the IN/OUT list when the deals had been confirmed by A.com, do you know the status of the Serge Gnabry deal?

41. Che Guevara supports Peaches says:

Micky, who is this – ‘ow you say it – Roseate Posterior?

I am Che the mighty revolutionary warrior and the love lorn acolyte of the Pulchritudinous Peachy.

We are conquering the FIFA when we are not drinking coffee.

42. Che Guevara supports Peaches says:

Rasp,

Young Guns reported a while ago that Gnabry a 15/16 year old will formally sign for us on June 1st.

Thanks Che,

I will add him to the list this evening

44. SharkeySure says:

Hola amigos….

Not that old chestnut again Raddy. ‘You know who’ and his little acorn have a lot to answer for don’t they.

It just goes to show how easy it is for mistruths to spread and take hold with an almost gospel like status. I’m sure there’s some Freudian theory on how people will believe almost anything when things aren’t going so well. You’re better placed than me to expand on that one though ‘eh..??

John’s comment earlier exposes/highlights how the media have spun our current state as one in need of major surgery. That so many people seem to have fallen for it is astonishing.

45. WiganGooner says:

@ Rasp

As far as I have been able to ascertain its all signed and he will officially join us tomorrow after spending the Winter break with us earlier in the year.

The Swiss Ramble link is here : http://swissramble.blogspot.com Extremely good analysis. He’s a great writer.

WG

SS May I respectfully be in total accord with you.

The major surgery and buy in winners argument is wasted upon me. What have Cahill or Samba won?

47. TotalArsenal says:

Impressive Che, how you managed to find the appropriate alliteration for our female blog manager P.

48. Che Guevara supports Peaches says:

Hi TA, :-)

How’s it going?

I am amused that you think me verbose, altho’ it is probably true. :-)

The English language, which you speak so well, is beautifully flexible, whereas many ‘foreign’ languages are much more long winded.

Take for example, the word “get” and its myriad uses, as one can see from the following description of my morning:

“I got out of bed, got the paper, got myself some breakfast, got some coffee, and began to get dressed and to get ready for work.

I got in the car, got to work, and got to the office on time. I got a lot done, and still had time to get some money from the bank and to get a sandwich at the deli for lunch.”

You can see how flexible and important the ‘idea’ of getting is, and how fortunate we English speakers are to have a word for it.

Some languages just don’t have this word at all. French, for example. To describe my morning in French I would need at least half a dozen verbs to convey what I was able to convey with our good English word get.

Verbose I may be, but English could have allowed me, quite grammatically, to use a number of different verbs if I had wished, like this.

“I got out of bed, got/fetched the paper, got/prepared myself some breakfast, got/made some coffee, and began to get dressed (dress myself) and to get ready (prepare) for work.”

Damn! I think i am being verbose, again! :-)

49. SharkeySure says:

Lol Red/Che….

I sometimes despair at the copmplexity of the English language in sympathy for my friends and colleagues for whom it is a 2nd language.

I’m particularly bemused how they learn to understand the varying sounds and uses attributed to the four letters ‘ough’.

Cough, through, bough, though, Slough, rough etc. Nightmare.

50. SharkeySure says:

I said last week about Samba that he’s a bit of a conundrum for me. Fantastic never say die spirit, real leaders attitude and mentality etc etc, but not techically good enough for us.

On balance, I think we could do with a better balance between graft and craft, and I think he would help to address that.

Driving through Slough is pretty rough though sharkey :?

52. TotalArsenal says:

Che, I get(!) the picture. you are a true champion of verbosity, but not of prolixity. You are always to the point, and yet manage to describe things in a rich, vivid and often poetic way.

Hi sharkey,

For me the answer is staring us in the face – but then I’m not a top manager….. play Kozzer at DM and then a big lump like Samba could do a job at CB and our fullbacks could still go bombing forward.

54. SharkeySure says:

Rasp !!!

*emoticon* ??

Not sure which one though.

55. TotalArsenal says:

ShS, you can add thorough to that. I always have to make an effort to say it anywhere near the correct pronunciation.

56. Che Guevara supports Peaches says:

Hi Sharkey, long time no sea! :-)

Your comment, ‘I’m sure there’s some Freudian theory on how people will believe almost anything when things aren’t going so well.’

In the middle ages, women were often banned from boats because they supposedly brought bad luck, and some unfortunate females were thrown overboard at the height of storms.

The Incas suffered from great droughts and the resultant lack of crops causing many to die of starvation. We would see this as an inevitable natural cycle.

To appease their Gods they sacrificed a large number of people to implore the Gods to relent.
    It seemed a good idea to those doing the sacrificing, not so good to those being fruitlessly sacrificed.

Nothing much has changed. Men will always find someone or some group to blame for their ills!

Nik Anelka is about to be offloaded by Chelsea.

Proven goalscorer, French. Used to sitting on the bench. Likely to be reasonably cheap. Has a couple of good years left.

I would sign him. Would you?

58. TotalArsenal says:

‘From error to error, one discovers the entire truth’

Sigmund Freud.

59. TotalArsenal says:

BR, two superNiks in one team!

60. On Nik Anelka – Yes please, yes please, yes please but didn’t we have the chance to sign him again once before and AW even said he’d thought about it.

I’d rather have Drogba

…. Berbatov anyone?

Berbs, Drogba, Nik. All good but I expect MU want good money for Berbs. PL top scorer and a 35m purchase.

Drogba would be fantastic but the Chavs would have to be mad to sell him to us, whereas Nik may be a possibility.

64. Che Guevara supports Peaches says:

TA, you have me blushing. :-)

I am embarrassed to think I only speak one language fluently, and just a few words in three others.

The professional people I have dealt with in Europe all speak/spoke very good English, and occasionally good naturedly tolerated my attempts at German and French.

I sneakily used my lack to poke gentle fun at one or two meetings.

Both German and French use ‘have’ in conjunction with certain verbs. Whereas in English we would say ‘I am hot’ in both these languages they would use ‘have’.

My trick was to say in German or French (with a straight face) ‘I am hot so I will open the window’ and wait to see who would laugh first.

As you will probably know, to say ‘I am hot’ in vernacular German/French means ‘I am turned on’, ‘I am feeling sexy’. Once one person tittered, the rest fell about laughing and then apologised profusely to me for being rude, to my great delight! :-)

A similar thing happened to me when I had a meeting with some senior Deutsche Bank officials. They all spoke English well, but not always idiomatically correctly.

After exchanging business cards, one chap did not have any on him. Rather than hold the meeting up, he reached across to his colleague and said, ‘never mind, I will write on his backside for you’.

I held out for 10 seconds before I collapsed with a fit of the giggles, much to their amazement.

Obviously he meant he would write his name on the reverse of his colleague’s card. Dangerous thing language! :-)

Raddy, if we spend big (by our standards) money on any player, it should be a striker. Berbs is obviously out of manu. Nasri is clearly flirting with manu – could there be a covert swap in the pipeline? Berbs is an archetypal AW player.

66. Che Guevara supports Peaches says:

Raddy,

in the papers they were saying Manyoo were looking for £7.5m for Berbatov. Not sure about him myself.

Anyway, Manyoo, Chelski etc would never sell to us, and AW has said that even if Arsenal cannot agree a contract with Nasri, he would not sell him to Manyoo, as has been proposed by some.
    What goes around, come around.

67. Che Has Gone to Look For Red and Have a Coffee says:

Guess what I am going to do? :-)

68. SharkeySure says:

Gone to open a window Che ?

69. dandan says:

Nice one Raddy 100% correct.

For all of you still down in the dumps, this might cheer you up, it is a couple of years old, includes a lot of swearing, but is a funny funny rant.

70. SharkeySure says:

Cheers TA ‘thorough’ has been added to my list !!

Yerah Red, long time no see indeed. I don’t really even know why. Mt newish job is not really conducive to blogging, but thats never stopped me before. Note to self…must do better.

I might even have a headline post in the offing. *Looks over both shoulders to make sure Peaches isn’t lurking*

71. London says:

No, no, no, it’s not Nasri who is mucking about it’s the club; that deal is done they are simply waiting for the right time to announce it and that will probably be when it is just starting to dawn on people that there are not going to be the big money signings that so many were hoping for, well that is what I would do any way.

72. London says:

I can’t get excited over Anelka anymore, Berbatov mah, perhaps Drogba but his wages make that deal seem unlikely.
    Benzema has got ot be a serious possibilty, I can’t see him staying at Real Madrid and I would think that he is regarded as just a bit too much of a risk for manu to get involved.

This, of course, is based on either Bendtner or Chamakh leaving.

Benzema would certainly be the best signing and AW has been clear in his admiration, but would Jose sell him to us? It would be risky for RM to start the season with just an injury plagued Higuian as CF. Unless they actually sign ADe.

Amazing to think that Jerzy Dudeck remains their backup GK. He must be even older than Lehmann

dandan,
    That “fishy” article is just brilliant. Any football fan can identify with the poor sod. Well apart fron Chavs of course who just jump ship.

75. London says:

Talking of manu, if they sell Berbatov where are they going to get another striker from? I am not sure they will be able to compete financially for the 2011 version of Berbatov. I mean they would never to be able to afford Rooney now, if he was still at Everton both Chelsea and Mancity would easily out bid them.
    It seems to me that they are going to have to start adopting our buying strategy that’s to say take chances with more unproven talent. They have been lucky so far with Cockrochito but he is far from capable of leading the line for a complete season. They can only defy gravity for so long.

I think we have to get shot of players who earn big money and deliver little. Vela must surely be sold, Nik wants away etc etc.

I like the look of Chamakh and should we sign a player who can cross a ball he will be far more effective.

Bringing Theo inside and playing a 4-4-2 with him as the spearhead would be an interesting experiment, though RvP has shown himself to be an predatory finisher.

77. London says:

BR

I am working on the basis that Tevez will be playing for Real at the beginning of next season. Benzema wasn’t a Maurinho signing, so no loyalty there.

London. Let it be so …….

Hi London and BR.
    London,
    Your “there are not going to be the big money signings that so many were hoping”. Would you regard Benzema as a big money signing? For what its worth, I would.

That would be great. Though one should remember that MU have Michael Owen !

Adding Tevez to RM would be frightening

Micky. Absolutely. Benzema and a back up DM, and I am a happy man

BR,
    I agree with you, although in my dreams, we would buy one of those powerful front men who can play (and score) from both wide flanks as well as central. This maestro would also be a dead ball expert. While unrealistically I can only think of Henry and Ronaldo, there must be a Mark II out there somewhere.

83. SharkeySure says:

Hey London.

Your 3.09.

Word perfect.

84. Red Arse is Back says:

Just seen Jack Warner calling on the Caribbean FA to vote for Bladder tomorrow.

Is it possible that he has been told to keep quite and Bladder will reinstate him after he is re-elected. Perhaps the alternative is, if he keeps opening his mouth, he will take himself and Bladder down. Quite some volte face!

Waiting for the other suspended guy to maybe fall in line now.

They operate in the different or parallel world of FIFA, which none of us are privy too.

85. Red Arse is Back says:

Quite = Quiet. Tut tut! :-)

86. Red Arse is Back says:

london,

‘Cockroachito’ has been added to my list of favourite names! :-)

87. London says:

Mickey

Yes I would regard Benzema as a big money signing, I can see my contradiction. It might have been better to say that the club will keep the signing of Nasri in hand just in case a big money signing doesn’t materialise.

88. London says:

RA

The master deserves credit for that one: when it comes to tearing into manu no one does it better than our very own Chary.

89. London says:

For the sake of discussion would the hypothetical DM back up be better than Song, not quite as good or young and up and coming?

90. Red Arse is Back says:

Dandan,

That Grimsby Town rant is so funny and doom laden. :-)

That is, until the last para when suddenly the real supporters faith in his club kicks in and re-establishes his love for the Black and White of Grimsby, even in the most hopeless of times.

The disenchanted fans of all clubs could learn a lot from that guy. We all could! :-)

91. Red Arse is Back says:

London,

Good question.

If Arsene buys a new CB as seems likely, he will need to square the circle as to who plays and who warms the bench between Johann, Kozzer, Vermalen et al.

I think there is mileage in the ‘New’ guy and TV playing as the central pairing, with Kozzer playing in midfield as an alternate with Singa Song. (We always have so many injuries this might appeal).

Not an easy solution for AW, especially as we have Bartley and Miguel knocking on the door, not to mention Squidger.

92. Cheers London @ your 3.50; it’s gratifying when your work is appreciated by those that matter the most, i.e. other Arsenal fans.

93. SharkeySure says:

DanDan. That Grimsby rant…quality.

‘That night’ …lol.

Back up DM has to be a large unit, be prepared to be the workhorse and not the creator and above all be disciplined in his tactical awareness.

An alternative to Song for the more physical, long ball games.

Unless AW has a plan to push Kos or TV into midfield I cannot see the signing of another CB coming to pass. We have 3 top CB’s and as you say 2 coming through. Who knows if Bartley is as good as Rangers say, but he would certainly be good enough as 4th CB. That is IF Squillaci is moved on, of which there is no guarantee.

The defensive frailty is at set plays (53% of goals conceded), so any big man who is good in the air will assist our defenders.

95. London says:

Can’t see a new CB arriving unless Squillaci leaves and then the arrival would be of 4th choice CB calibre. I can’t see either a DM back up coming in. A striker is possible if there are departures but for me it is all down to Cesc: if he leaves it will create a revolution, I am not sure people realise just how big it will be, the whole system will change, we only play 4.3.3 to accommodate him, everything will change, in fact that could be the catalyst that triggers the buying of a new CB a new DM and a new striker. Total, total change.

Hi London,

I agree with your ‘total change’ observation – on a scale of 1:10, how likely do you think it is that Cesc will leave?

The problem with the uncertainty that surrounds his situation (as last year) is that many other deals hinge on his future and Arsenal may not be the prime movers in that respect. The worst case scenario would be Cesc leaving near to the end of the window and denying us the time to re-structure the team.

97. London says:

Hi Rasp

The second part of the first sentence could have been tomorrow’s post.

On a scale of one to ten with ten being a certainty that Cesc will leave………..one.

London,
    I don’t think this is suposed to be happening, but you do make I titter. We all like a bit of wild optimism, but you keep my feet firmly on the ground. You can’t see a CB coming in, unless he is absolute rubbish, or a DM, and not really a striker either :-)

OK London, good answer.

Next question – do you think that will be because:

AW will just refuse to sell whatever Cesc’s wishes?
    Cesc doesn’t really want to go?
    Barca won’t want to pay the money?

Rasp,
    Sorry for butting in, but Ans: C.

Rasp,
    Let me fire one at you.
    Cesc only wants to go to Barca, but hey offer 3p in installments and City offer £60m in readies. What do you think the board would do?

102. London says:

Hi Micky

I would certainly understand if you thought I was being a miserable sod even more so to the question about our expectations next season to which I said that if we finish fourth I think we would have hit the bulls eye……..but there is method to my madness, the thing is I cannot see the board or Wenger changing anything until the financial rules change the season after and then my friend you will see me singing like a lark….are larks optimistic, I am not sure; oh well, lets pretend they are for the sake of this comment.

103. Gooner in Exile says:

You optimistic bugger London :D

Had a chat with a Norwich City fan over the weekend about young Lansbury.

Asked why he hadn’t started many games towards the end of the season….answer:

“Lambert is a clever manager, he knew that when teams were tired it was the time to get the most out of the best passer and most intelligent footballer in our squad, hence leaving Lansbury to come on around the 60 – 65 minute mark to pick holes in their defence…..I wish we could keep him for our return to the PL”

In further discussion he said Lambert was a very good manager but was more a British manager than a Continental manager, ie he has a team of coaches that do the day to day training whilst he does the motivational stuff (Fergie approach).

Continental “coaches” are the opposite and want to work with the players day in day out, Wilkins said recently his job at Chelsea was to make sure the players were ready to be coached by Ancelotti.

Continental Coaches have those big sticky out wing mirrors and no soap in the bogs.

Haha Micky,

I don’t think Cesc would go to City for one minute. We must be paying him a handsome wage, 50% more wouldn’t be enough to turn cesc into a mercenary surely.

I wouldn’t take £60m for Cesc unless he came out publicly and said he wanted to leave to go there, in which case I’d bite their hand off.

106. London says:

Rasp

Arsenal don’t want to let him go, Barcelona don’t want him (they can afford him if they really wanted him) which means I expect him to happily stay at Arsenal where he will play every game he is fit which, if you think about it, was the reason he left his home town and came to play for us in the first place.

107. California Gooner says:

Good point, BR… add to that he could double his wages by moving to Madrid and one can be sure that Wenger’s not in it for the money.

108. London says:

As much as Cesc is never going to say he wants to leave (that man really really appreciates what Arsenal have done for him) he is never going to say that he wants to stay. This argument infuriates me; Cesc can’t be 100% certain that Arsenal would not sell him if City offered 60 million. Think of how he would be received by his new fans if they thought he really did not want to join them, no one comes out and says they want stay where they are nowadays.

109. goonermichael says:

My birthday today and someone sent me this

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional
    happy birthday

I really liked it.

Maybe not in so many words London, but Twitter / innuendo / interviews with foreign journos / statements from members of the family / pronouncements from agents etc etc are all ways that players find to get their pint across – even if it is just a ploy to get a better deal from their current employer = Rooney

111. London says:

It just annoys me when people use the excuse to attack Fabregas by saying that he never came out and said he wants to stay did he? Not take into account the very real possibility that Arsenal could sell him whether he likes it or not shows incredible naivety.

There is too much at stake for twitter innuendo.

112. London says:

Happy birhtday GM

Hope you have a good one, are you in Tokyo or London?

I agree and I think Cesc is too good a human being to play those games so he just keeps schtum – but I do think he’d really like to go to Barca.

114. London says:

Would you like to play for Arsenal……just once?

Many Happy Remarriages – oops Returns GM :P

116. London says:

Cesc and father took a very pragmatic decision to leave the beloved Barcelona in the first place, if he was able to sail straight into that team I would be worried but he can’t (breaths huge sigh) and so why would he want to go back just to sit on the bench? May as well stay here where he is loved and guarenteed football.

I think he may think it’s now or he’ll miss his chance. One season as undesrtudy to Iniesta and then he gets his regular first team place.

Look, I don’t want him to go, it’s all hypothesis, hopefully he’ll stay – and want to stay.

118. London says:

Iniesta? That must be a typo you mean Xavi, yes perhaps but there is huge assumption that Barcelona think of him as Xavi’s replacement.

We all want him to stay, we are just discussing the possibilities; I am killing time waiting for bloody solicitors to get in touch.

119. London says:

I have just looked up through the comments

I’ve really hogged the blog this afternoon haven’t I lol

Sorry, you’re right, Xavi

Hello everyone,

please read this though rather long from an esteemed author.It is relevant to the post and it pays notice to the fact that the debt by barca for hleb and Henry has been payed.Apologies as I thought different.

122. Red Arse is Back says:

It is easy to forget that a footballer’s life is very fleeting, at the top level.

Cesc will eventually go back to live the rest of his life in Catalonia, and I could not fault him for wanting to play for the closest thing to their national team (barca).

Failure to do so would reflect badly on him in the eyes of a very proud ‘regional’ people.

I do not want him to go, but if Arsenal were paid the market rate, I would not begrudge him the opportunity to become a hero in his ‘homeland’. It’s a short life, (for all of us). :-)

123. Gooner in Exile says:

Indeed Kelsey, ‘Che who supports Peaches’ recommended it earlier. Very good article.

He mentions that we are only owed £1m at the moment, probably Eduardo?

In fact we are probably in a stronger position now to demand cash up front rather than wait for others to pay over three years.

London its good to have you actively contributing, although I always enjoy your concise one liners that hit to the heart of most issues.

124. Red Arse is Back says:

Hi Kelsey, :-)

Great minds and all that! :-)

I recommended that site Post earlier today, as a great read and a financial myth buster.

It should be read by every Arsenal fan who wants to understand what transfer funds are available; how much debt the club still has; what the commercial revenue is currently; what the financial future looks like; how the Fair Play Rules will affect us; etc, etc.

A quite brilliant read! :-)

125. Red Arse says:

Apologies to those who did not realise that ‘Che Guevara’ was my alter nom de plume.

Peaches, earlier today, asked for volunteers to join her in a revolution against the FA and FIFA, but in the event, there was just her and me in the Revolutionary Army, and I am not too sure about her, so the revolution is over! :-(

126. Red Arse says:

This is an interesting item which brings into perspective the ‘newby’ supporters of Arsenal and their sometimes unrealistic expectations!

“- Arsenal left their historic Highbury home for the 60,000 capacity Emirates Stadium in order to meet demand for tickets, but back on 5 May 1966 a 6,000 capacity ground would have been more appropriate.

That night just 4,554 people watched Arsenal’s top flight match with Leeds United and the crowd was so sparse that fires were lit on the old North Bank terrace in order to keep the few spectators warm on a cold spring evening.

This shocking attendance was partly due to Liverpool’s Cup Winners’ Cup final with Dortmund being televised live at the same time, in an era when football matches on TV were few and far between, but is still a stark reminder to all Gooners that the good times shouldn’t be taken for granted.

Where’s Dandan when you need him? :-)
    I hope you were one of the 4,554, Dandan? :-)

Sorry, I have been really tied up these last few days….stress ;)
    Notice Spurs wage bill compared to ours….don’t believe it.

128. Cue kelsey………

I was there.wore the T shirt ;)

snap peaches…great minds and all that.

131. London says:

RA

6:10 bang on.

132. goonermichael says:

Thank you. Just finished work and off for an Indian soon.

133. GhostFace says:

If Mr. Wenger isnt so concerned about the money perhaps he could be so generous as to offset the extra 4-5m that the fans have to pay through his wages?

134. goonermichael says:

London
    Regarding Cesc if he stays and comits himself to Arsenal I’ll change my avatar back. It would make me really happy. He’s probably the best midfielder in the prem. I’m in London btw.

135. Gooner in Exile says:

Yes Ghost Face I expect him to do that, just the same as I expect the Chief Exec of Tesco to put £5million of his wages back into the company to make groceries cheaper for the rest of us.

He is paid the required rate to secure his services.

The problem is Ghost is that as I’m sure you have experienced its pretty hard to get tickets for the Emirates when the team is playing well and even when its not, so putting the prices up is a no brainer for the board, especially being its the FIRST RISE IN THREE YEARS……minimum wage has gone up 6% between 1 Oct 2008 to 1 Oct 2011, so thats 6% extra costs at least on stadium (matchday wages), now add fuel price inflation and suddenly 6% increase in tickets looks reasonable. Less than half of the clubs income comes from the gate receipts.

136. dandan says:

I was there but not in a T shirt it was to damn cold, mind you When we played Leeds back then the heat generated from the players kicking each other warmed the place up a bit.
    At least I didn’t have to queue for my Bovril.

137. GhostFace says:

Well it appears the fans who were singing

“6% your having a laugh” dont seem to share that same view point Gooner in Exile.

Denilson’s wages alone can offset the ticket rices with some change!

138. dandan says:

There are a percentage of our fans ghost, who would complain about having nothing to complain about. As GIE said in the scheme of things the rise was justifiable.

139. GhostFace says:

Happy Birthday GM

140. goonermichael says:

Thanks Ghostface. I’m off catch you all later.

141. GhostFace says:

Ofcoarse the rise is not justifiable when you have multiple players on the team who are obviously excess to requirements.

142. dandan says:

It might seem remarkable now, but for games around 1966 if you got there reasonably early it was no problem to park within 100 yards of the stadium as most people did not have a car.

143. GhostFace says:

Is Arsene not an Economist? Or does he think that leting the fans pay Rosicky another 70k a week is as you say “justifiable”

144. dandan says:

Contracts are contracts Ghost, no doubt your firm honours yours.

145. GhostFace says:

Forgive my tone,

I cant wait for the summer to get here.

I have to admit, I admire your un-wavering confidence in Arsene to fix our problems. Despite the mountain of evidence to the contrary.

I guess the next couple of weeks will decide.

Well I certainly can be released from my contract at any time.

146. dandan says:

Dont think two weeks will tell us much Ghost, he is away on holiday and wont rush in I am sure, although the need for an early preseason and our far east tour may have a bearing on that

I was at home watching Liverpool the night of our record low attendance. It was a bloody freezing , damp evening and I salute anyone who went!

DD. Do you recall the street urchins who used to “look after your car for a tanner”? My Dad always paid them – I was appalled as it was a weeks pocket money.

GF. Without hope what is life?

148. TotalArsenal says:

Hi RA@1.57, Very funny, especially the ‘I will write on his backside for you’. An easy mistake to make but hillarious nevertheless.

I was once asked by a Frenchman what ‘no merci’ is in Dutch, to which I replied ‘nee dank U’. The guy spat his mouthful of beer all over me from laughter. To the French ‘Nee Dank U’ sounds like ‘nez dans cul’, which means…. nose in arse…

149. London says:

I think Wenger should have foreseen Rosicky’s injury, well, while I am at it he should have seen Van Persie’s and why not Diaby’s, oh why stop there? He should foresee every injury that will happen in the future and adjust players wages accordingly and if he doesn’t he shouldn’t get paid the whopping six million a year. 70 thousand a week for Rosicky is outrageous.

Are you still a teenager Ghost Face, that is not meant to be insulting but it would explain an awful lot.

London. I am pretty sure that GF is older than your lithe young self :-)

151. London says:

That would be very, very scary lol

When is the big cycle tour? Are you prepared?

153. Gooner in Exile says:

Ghost Face I’m so glad you’re privy to the players wage information….who is your source, the player, the manager, the chief exec or just another mindless blogger who has no idea and is spouting a number that will spark outrage.

Face it none of us know how much these players are paid.

Yes some fans were singing it, if those fans were so against the exorbitant prices they could have voted with their feet a long time ago, we have had some of the most expensive seats in the PL for quite a while, but then we also have a large majority at a fair price.

Chavs Prices 2011/12
    Cat B
    Cheapest Family Enc £36
    Cheapest Normal £47
    Top £65

Cat A & AA (Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton, Villa, Spuds, ManChavs, ManUre, Fulham)
    Cheapest Family Enc £41
    Cheapest Normal £52
    Top £70

Spuds Prices 2010/11
    Cat C
    Cheapest £30
    Top £45

Cat B (Bolton, Newcastle, Everton, Fulham, Sunderland, Blackburn, Villa)
    Cheapest £35
    Top £55.50

Cat A (Arsenal, ManUre, ManChavs, Chavs, West Ham, Liverpool)
    Cheapest £45
    Top £78

Arsenal Prices 2011/12 (adding 6.5% to 2010/11 pre VAT rise prices)
    Cat B
    Cheapest £35
    Top £70

Cat A (Chavs, ManChavs, ManUre, Spuds, Liverpool)
    Cheapest £51
    Top £100

Like Dandan says justifiable, to complain about 6% you’re having a laugh, there are plenty of seats (24,000 in fact) lower tier at less than £40 for 15 home games.

Spuds thats 18,000 tickets a game for 13 games a season at under £40

Chelsea thats 800 tickets a game for 11 games a season at under £40.

So in summation Arsenal accomodates 360,000 fans a season for less than £40, Spurs 234,000, and Chelsea 8,800.

Still think thats bad value?

154. dandan says:

Big Raddy funnily enough it was mainly near the ground you found the little buggers and yes I paid them.
    The best one was at Liverpool’s ground, I had a Singer Gazelle at the time, pretty new, a sort of top of the range Hillman Minx if you remember. I paid a minder before the game and when I returned to the car he said “good job you paid me Mr. my brother was really mad cos I wouldn’t let him pinch your wheels”. Good investment eh.

155. Gooner in Exile says:

Forgiove my tone I have just had to spend time on both the Spurs and Chelsea websites and am deleting my internet history as we speak in case my mac gets infected.

156. dandan says:

GIE :-)

157. TotalArsenal says:

DanDan, that’s very funny. Did you give him an additional tip for his bravery?

158. dandan says:

AS it happened he asked my mate for a cigarette, I have often wondered if it was Tarbucks Brother :-)

159. Red Arse says:

Dandan,

In about 1984, I went to a game on a motorbike I had at the time. My pride and joy!

I parked off the Seven Sisters road and tied it, with a chain, to a railing close to a block of flats.

On return it was gone and I eventually got over the shock and reported its loss to the police. They asked me if I had checked with the Council’s (?) pound in case it had been ‘towed away’.

I dismissed this as rubbish but eventually checked it out anyway, and sure enough it was there. The b*stards must have cut thru the chain and even tho’ it was not on the road they took it.

Furious, I ‘phoned the police again and they simply said it was probable that one of the guys fancied riding my brand new Japanese bike to the pound, (ho ho) and I would have to pay up to get it back.

Those people were hateful in those days and things haven’t changed much since.

I would rather have paid the little scruffs protection money! :-)

160. TotalArsenal says:

DanDan, come to think of it, that little scouser showed great loyalty towards you and pride in his job. Unless he made it all up to get some more money out of you… Glass halve full or halve empty?!

161. dandan says:

Whatever!!! he did it well TA.

Nothing wrong with a little enterprise. I expect he is now a wealthy chap.

I used to park in Drayton Park when I drove up from the Cotswolds where I lived for a number of years. Always found a parking spot. Positive thinking placates the Parking Gods.

163. Red Arse says:

TA,

I like your ‘Nee dank u’ story. :-)

I have occasionally heard the term ‘cul de sac’ in England meaning dead end or no thru’ road.

Yet the French have no such phrase, apparently. Now that is strange! The English using a French term that does not exist! :-)

164. Red Arse says:

GIE,

You 8:16 is damned impressive. What a comprehensive list of prices.

Are Arsenal one of your clients? :-)

Got to go. Tomorrow!

165. Gooner in Exile says:

:D RA

Just had a hunch that we had quite a few well priced seats in the ground, and in pure numbers at X pounds we were probably quite good value compared to other Capital Premier League clubs. Turned out I was right…which is always nice.

As with most of my stuff its all there to be seen its just whether you have the time and inclination to find it and use it…..admittedly that doesn’t say a lot about me that I do… :oops:

And to further the embarassment I Just checked West Ham and they had only one price band at under £40 for Cat B matches and it was still more expensive than the cheapest ticket at the Emirates. At best there are 8000 seats at less than £40 in Upton Park, so 112,000 tickets under £40.

You see the whole pricing at the Emirates looks even more reasonable surely?

166. Gooner in Exile says:

The closest we ever parked at the ground was in Finsbury Park, but that was always touch and go when the gates locked at dusk and I remember once having to run back to the car to avoid it being locked in for the night as we misjudged the daylight hours. I say we it was obviously my Dad! Mum was none to pleased to be running all the way.

167. TotalArsenal says:

RA, it is indeed bizarre that Cul-de-Sac is used in the UK, if it is true that the French don’t use this phrase at all. I always thought it was another name for ‘Close’ as in a street that had no way true – only one way for going in and out (like the letter ‘U’). Translated, it means ‘bottom of the bag’, which is hardly flattering! It sounds to me that somebody decided to translate bottom of the bag into French to make it sound posher/more acceptable. C’est redicule!

RA. 9.05. Very funny.

GIE. Impressive piece of investigation. Why not use it as today/tomorrow’s post … give it a headline and an intro an we have something which will surprise many people.

Morning Raddy,
    Coffee machine on.

I cannot make up my mind on the CB issue. I often comment on the need for stability and understanding between the central three, GK and two CB’s, and we have not seen that due to injuries. Re your 56% conceding from set pieces stat, would that stand had Ches, TV and Kos had a good run together, with perhaps the taller JD being deployed when we face the bigger brute/long ball merchants.

Also, I do wish Diaby would make up his mind once and for all whether he wants to be a really outstanding player or not, as for me, it is simply down to desire with him.

Morning all.

Is it me or at corners does Szcz not come off his line as much as he used to when he first came into the team? I seem to remember him being very dominant and commanding his area at Newcastle in the CC.

Micky, I’m not sure if Diaby’s physical structure is up to the rigours of the premiership.

Flying visit, soz.

173. Gooner in Exile says:

Raddy I’ll send it over to Peaches

Chas,
    “Szcz”. I do wish our brilliant GK would change his bloody name, or that we could all agree on something. I use rubbish like Chezzer, and frankly, feel cheap, stupid and even a bit Australian!
    I think, sadly, that you could be right about Diaby on the physical side.

Micky. Cut & Paste!

If we can get 20 games out of Diaby then that is a fair return. We also need to find space for RAmsey’s development which is so important to our longer term future.

Micky, I know you are a farm hand :-) but do you have to get up at first light? No fun if you worked over here, we are having 20+ hours of daylight at the moment.

I wish I could cut and paste Diaby into Paddys sturdy frame!

Raddy,
    I work from 5:amuntil 10:30 am, leaving masses of “play time”. The rest of the day, I bodge work as needed!
    Farm Hand :-)

Micky. What a good idea. Only really bettered by working 10.00 until 10.30 which leaves even more “playtime”

Thinking about the SCZ problem. How about PIG (Pole in Goal)? When he plays well, he can be The PIG

180. Evonnethegunner says:

Raddy & co – that is noughty, calling him a pig!!

Why can’t you guys call him Lucky? That’s what Szczesny in old polish translates to.

Polish, shmolish, new or old, that’s brilliant Evonne. Spread the word.

182. Gooner in Exile says:

Interesting question on Szczesney and corners, reminds me of Adams talking about when Manninger filled in for Seaman and how he basically told him when and when not to come. As at first he came for stuff the defence could easily deal with without his interference.

Cross claiming needs a calm head, why Seaman was so good. See the ball judge the trajectory, pace and and come late and clear out anyone in your way and attack at it’s highest point. 6th plus arms should win everytime.

If I see another Arsenal defender marking the man standing on the keeper I might walk to the goal and give them some impromptu marshalling lessons. If the oppositionput one or bodies on a keeper why stand there and make it harder for the keeper to move and the ref to see an infringement, it’s all too easy for ref to blame infringement on the defender if there are too many bodies.

183. TotalArsenal says:

Lucky PIG, sounds great to me..

184. SharkeySure says:

Reading tales of entrepreneurial urchins, brought back ny own memories of doing similar things as a kid.

I grew up right beside the Oval cricket ground, and we used to do that ‘watch your car mister’ line all morning. Go off to the park for the day and come back in time to collect our ‘fees’. Most people simply paid up front to ensure that their cars weren’t scratched or hubcaps stolen.

I was only 5 or 6 out there with my older sister and cousin. They might have been the ripe old ages of like 8 and 9 !!

Sorry, crossed lines between Rasp and I, be with you in a bit ;)

186. oufball says:

92 redknapps

187. хидрогенна система…

[...]What’s Arsène worth? – Debunking an Arsène Wenger Myth. « Arsenal Arsenal[...]…