My rant about everything Arsenal, by GunnerN5

Written by GunnerN5

Part 1.

Home Crowd – When, oh when, will they learn just how important it is for our players to have their supporters fully behind them?  Our home crowd seem to be stuck in the thinking that the team needs to entertain them in order for them to show their real support, whereas I believe that if they gave unabashed support throughout the game then maybe the team would react positively instead of reacting negatively to the silence followed by moans and groans and boos.  Oh, how I dislike hearing the moans and groans and especially hearing the boo boys!

My goodness, all you hear from the attending dissenters is that it’s the person sitting next to them that’s  the problem and not them – or it’s Elvis or the acoustics or the stewards etc, etc, – BS at it’s worst – let’s blame it on anything or anybody but me!

Then they show their true colours (black) by demonstrating and threatening not to renew their season tickets as we don’t win trophies – frankly who gives a  damn.

Fair weather fans for sure and “supporters” we can do without.

If you are a home attendee then please understand that YOU are the problem and not someone else –   if you believe you are NOT a part of the problem then at least (next season) spread your passion to the people around you – maybe the atmosphere can be changed one seat at a time.

Whatever happened to the supporters of old who would freeze their nuts off to stand in rain and snow just to watch their beloved Arsenal, I guess now they sink into their red seats and wait for something exciting to happen.  |God forbid they make a noise in case they wake up the person sleeping next to them.

It’s embarrassing to say this (in fact, I hate saying it) but the 16, 000 home fans of Stoke City show more passion than our mob, who have been spoilt by the good times brought to us by Arsene Wenger.  Stoke fans show an unreserved love for their team (and they show it) while ours only love positive results, blaming others or, of course – silverware.

Away Supporters – It’s a joy to both see and hear the level of support shown, they are vocal and passionate and show just what it means to truly support the Gunners and they are among the highly valued minority who cheer at the Emirates.

The only thing black about them is the black looks they give to the home “supporters”

Part 2.

Captaincy –   Does anyone else remember the picture of Tony Adams standing over and glowering down at Alan Smith, Smith was lying in a heap on the ground after being felled by Adams, he was an 18/19 year old cocky upstart with Leeds United and earlier he made a bad tackle on Adams – Tony put him in his place.

My friends, Tony Adams, (Mr. Arsenal) was a Captain personified and he created the textbook for future Captains, sadly it’s very apparent that only Patrick Vieira read the book the rest have been mere pretenders.

We need a Captain that takes no prisoner’s, who has nothing but a winning mentality, whose heart is so big that it won’t fit inside his chest and someone that refuses to rationalize the reason for losses and ties – in his mind they are simply unacceptable.

He has to be the vocal on field General, organiser and motivator; he needs a dynamo for his engine, he needs to show by example how to play the game and he will never – ever give up.

Stand up Thomas Vermaelen.

To come..

Part 3 – Heart, Desire, Commitment, Passion, Pride

Part 4 – Entitlement vs. Reality

Part 5 – Size and Physicality

Part 6 – The team

Part 7 – The Management

Part 8 –  2011/12

Part 9 – Arsenal through the decades

Today marks the anniversary of our amazing 2-0 win at Liverpool in 1989 which secured the title and led to great celebrations amongst Gooners. Last year we published an article written by BigRaddy to mark the occasion, it’s a timeless masterpiece, read and enjoy http://arsenalarsenal.wordpress.com/2010/05/30/a-belated-happy-birthday-and-the-renaissance-of-football/

Happy 26th May to all.

101 Responses to My rant about everything Arsenal, by GunnerN5

We published this by BigRaddy last year, it’s a timeless masterpiece. Read and enjoy.

Happy 26th May

G5. A top rant. And you are right. Mea Colpa (when I attend), I join in the singing and never start it.

3. A rant from the heart N5 and thanks.
    While we are in confessional mode I admit to only starting a few chants up and usually just joining in.
    However, in mitigation I would like to point out that when a kid Spud fan was picked out as a guest of honour at Members day last August I started up the “Who are you ?” chant as he walked along the touch line.
    I’m also going to take credit for numerous “You dirty northern b***ards” chants whenever our players would get poleaxed by one of the usual suspects(Brum/Bolton/Blackburn) as well as shouts just as oppo players take a corner or their goalie a goal kick in order to put them off.

4. chary – we know that ‘who are you?’ is your favourite chant anyway :P

5. I couldn’t believe the sheer bare faced cheek/effrontery of the spud turning up at an ARSENAL members day Peachy.

I felt quite scandalised.
    The good news was that later on he was ejected from the VIP area – and rightly so !

6. gunnerN5 lives in Canada and won’t be around for a while.

I’ve sat in many different areas of the ground and always stand and applaud the team onto the pitch but there are some who don’t even do that and I’m sure that that sets the tone for how little interaction to expect.

First rule of attending games should be receive your team with gusto!!!!!!!!!

7. TotalArsenal says:

G5,great rant – good to let all your frustrations out, and by the looks of it, this is only the beginning!

Totally agree with you on what a captain needs to be like. The verbal leadership aspect is often poo-pooed by so called experts, yet it is absolutely vital. A good verbal captain on the field will also, indirectly, get the crowd going quicker.

Vermaelen as captain is interesting. I prefer RvP, especially if we are going to play him in the hole position.

I would like to congratulate Mr David Bentley on yet another fine season. Did SFA at Spurs and worse at B’ham.

Nice.

9. And Radders, don’t forget he helped get Brum relegated. HAAAAAAH Ha !

10. TA – I agree with you about choosing van Persie as captain and have been looking for a good reason why it would be ok, of course playing him in the hole means he’s more involved in the play coming from deep.

He definitely deserves the arm-band.

11. Not sure I like the fact that two ex-gunners were in the squad that beat us in the cup final and then got relegated :(

Morning all,

I completely agree with half of GN5’s point No.1 and completely disagree with the other half.

1A – yes, some of the fans are very poor, I’ve compared them to waxworks dummies before. There are also (admittedly the minority) some excellent fans.

1B – the inference that we can make any excuses for the player’s poor performances based on the lack of vocal suppport from the crowd. If this idea got into the player’s heads it would only serve to fuel what I detect as a victim mentallity. Some players need to stop feeling sorry for themselves – that is not a winning mentality. They have to stop looking for excuses and pull their socks up and fight for every ball, defend as hard as they can, win every 50/50, have the gonads to take a shot at goal – play every game as if their lives depended on it.

Point 2 re the captanicy I totally agree with.

13. KING gooner says:

agree with almost everyting except we have a very pc bunch of stewards who seem determined not for anyone to show an ounce of support/emotion in fear of upsetting our “theatre goers”.this is a huge problem that needs sorting out.how?i don’t know…

14. That’s interesting KING gooner that you feel that the stewards have a part to play. Am I being naive in assuming that the stewards would all be gooners? If they are then although they have safety rules to uphold they would also get swept along with the emotion.

When Cesc scored that amazing goal against the spuds seconds after the re-start following Robin’s equally amazing goal my section stayed on their feet for several minutes enjoying the moment with no interference from the stewards.

15. Carlito11 says:

Morning all- Happy 26th May! I would criticise our supporters for having a “big club mentality”. Hear me out! The “silent majority”- those I have to turn around and eyeball to join in or continue singing around me- seemed to have no problem keeping up their support when Barcelona came to visit or indeed when ManUre turned up at the Grove. I got told by some tweeters this morning that we have delusions of grandeur. I disagree, but some of our fans are a bit like that- the support against Leyton Orient this season was embarrassingly sparse for example.
    I really hope the club allow my request to move to the lower tier this season (3rd attempt now)…

16. chris says:

I don’t agree… I understand your point but it’s easier said than done.

When players are continued to be picked who don’t do their job properly how can you be supportive? Or when a player looks like he doesn’t give a shit it’s hard to “get behind your team”.

Wenger has reiterated many times that this team is capable of challenging, and by no means am I saying they should win everything, but put up a significant challenge for something. Example the carling cup final before fielding the side he went in with the mentality that it was just another game, and that reflected in the team’s performance.

So far it seems like he’s bred a team of mediocre performers in the shape of Almuina, Denilson, Diaby, Clichy, Bendtner. I just want a change, and all the blame shouldn’t rest solely on wenger, the players need to take the brunt aswell…

Welcome chris, I can excuse a player for lack of ability – that’s not necessarily his fault, but lack of effort is inexcusable. Clichy and Bendtner work hard whereas others simply do not put in enough effort. I have seen too many of our midfielders trotting back this season.

18. John says:

Help, I agree with a blogger! Is it a coincidence that Arsenal has an appalling home record? I really hope v Persie isn’t made captain, we really need him to concentrate on what he does best. I prefer a real bastard in defense of midfield to lead the team. I’m happy to take the red cards.

19. London says:

When it came to Arsenal pedigree in blog land I must admit that for a while I thought I had it nailed: my grandfather, father, both season ticket holders, I remain so, five brothers all Arsenal supporters, two sons Arsenal supporters, of course…………and then I read GunnerN5’s story and realised I was just a Johnny Come Lately.

I know the lack of singing at the Emirates is a pet hate but I think the anger is misplaced.

In a sentence: football has moved on.

We are slowly moving across the Atlantic where football is family entertainment and singing is momentary. I hate it but what can we do? The idea that we can go back to a 99% male environment of the North Bank is sadly gone for ever.

One situation summed this up for me perfectly, I was at the CC final with Peaches, she certainly met the team with gusto, I on the other hand was very apprehensive, I couldn’t see where a goal was going to come from but that is a different story.

To Peaches right was a young man singing his heart out, some swearing but a nice enough young man, not some hairy arsed thug, anyway he was passionately into the game (he put me to shame). After an hour the man in front turned round and said in a really concerned voice rather than an aggressive one: will you stop that can’t you see I am with my wife.

At that point, I thought, there is the future, the young man would have stood on the North Bank twenty years ago but he will slowly disappear as the EPL becomes more and more North American and family friendly in its presentation.

20. Carlito11 says:

London,
    I’ve been reprimanded for blue language and- bizarrely- for whacking the tall guy next to me in the face with a scarf celebrating a goal. In the heat of the moment I’ve bawled them out saying “you know what a football environment is like- don’t bring your wife/kids/grandma if they are sensitive to a bit of verbals”. We’d lose half our songs if we became too sensitive- the “My old man said” song has died and probably a good thing too, but I worry about football in a sanitized environment. Apart from anything else our team will get a shock every time they play in Istanbul, Rome, Poland, Stoke etc if we can’t muster any kind of threatening environment for the away team to suffer…

21. dandan says:

100% right London agree with you totally it is a much more family orientated game Today. My sons derive much amusement each time we hear one, from the certain knowledge that should I go to a match and find myself next to one of these so called bands or a guy with a drum or a trumpet, I would endeavour to deposit said instrument where the sun don’t shine.
    Whist on the subject of supporters I find the constant criticism that midfielders do not track back quick enough irritating(normally its “the ref beat Denilson back nonsense) The modern game is very fast and when a midfielder goes on a number of runs at speed he is knackered and is entitled to expect another team member to cover for him as he makes his recovery and way back.
    Why are doggies the most disliked part of training? because they and the recovery are so bloody painful.

The game changes we talk of box to box and a good engine, we don’t talk of flat out both ways.

22. evonnethegunner says:

N5 – thank you for this gem of a post!

Tony Adams is in Azerbejdzan now, writing funniest stories I have read, ie cows walking onto the football pitch, the physio for the national team was the local dentist, ect, etc. But he loves it, i hope he succeeds

London, chary,

I agree with you both. The corporate/commercial direction of the club is for good clean (profitable) family entertainment, whilst the diehard fans want an imposing hostile environment.

Men only = testosterone, bad language, hand gestures and that will never change, but put children and families among them and the dynamic is quite different. I have often been embarrassed in hindsight by the language I have used when sitting near to kids etc. but I am expressing a human emotion that momentarily I cannot suppress.

I’m sure it could never happen, but why not create family areas within the ground where the stewards can be at their most officious. Conversely, there could be a ‘grown up’ area where men (and some women) could be men (and women).

And lastly an accountants area where fans could recite poetry to one another :lol:

24. LeBoss'tock says:

So so true….. and spot on with the home support, I get so frustrated at the Emirates…. maybe they should place banners as you walk up the steps and into the Emirates arena with the dictionary definition of ‘Supporter’!! People take note…. get behind your team!!

…. and perhaps a ladies area where they can do knitting and swap cake recipes :oops: … ok , I’m running away now….

dandan,

I cannot agree with your @ 12:01. The suggestion that players (midfielders) should be allowed to take a rest and let another player do the defending for them is, I believe, part of the problem. They have to perform to their physical limit. There will always be phases of play when they will not be fully exerted and so can recoup, but when they are required to defend is most definitely not one of them!

27. goonermichael says:

I was talking to a client of mine who has been a gooner for decades (definitely not a johnny come lately) She said she knows a lot of people from the black scarf brigade and they are definitely not plastic fans. They are pissed off about paying 4.5% extra when they see a lack of ambition in the transfer market. The team get paid to play and perform. Unfortunately anyone who has the money can buy a ticket (when it’s available) so they (fans)are what they are. How about going to play in a hostile environment with no support? don’t they have to motivate themselves then? They should be able to do it at home then.

28. Gunnern5 says:

I won’t be around until around 6:00pm UK time.
    My wife fell and broke both of her wrists 8 weeks ago, the casts are now off and I have to take to physio.

29. dandan says:

Sorry to hear that Gunner5, hope she is well in herself, am well used to the hospital run myself in recent years so feel for you.

Hope she makes a full recovery GN5, thanks for today’s thought provoking post.

31. dandan says:

Rasp :-) no problem mate, I did not expect you to agree, but if you think back to the famous offside trap, our midfielders did not keep busting a gut, even though the game was no where near the pace of today’s offering.
    Even in Viera time when he went on the charge it was Petit who would cover even though Pat’s charge might take him right through the opponents penalty area. If the ball was lost then, there was no way for Pat to beat the ball back.

32. London says:

GM

That is a really good point: if players can find the motivation to lift themselves in hostile away grounds there really is no reason why they cannot do it at home. Naturally the more vocal support the better but I do not accept the lack of it as an excuse for poor performances.

I agree with you dandan, that’s the point, we commit everyone forward and constantly get hit on the break, if we wised up and one or two midfielders held back to provide the necessary cover, there might not be the same need for the attacking midfielders (= all of them) to track back.

OK, I’ve solved the problem of making the different areas acceptable to different supporters, we create the following:

Area 1. For ‘proper fans’ with vocal chords
    Area 2. For diehard %$£*&ing fans who would make Gordon Ramsey blush
    Area 3. A Hannibal Lecter-type cage just for chary
    Area 4. Some comfy armchairs with slippers and free Werther’s originals for some of the ‘new fans’
    Area 5. Poets/accountants corner
    Area 6. Family enclosure with cartoons and popcorn
    Area 7. The knitting circle

…. if there’s somebody I’ve forgotten to offend, please let me know :?

35. London says:

GM

While, I’m on a roll:

“The lack of ambition in the transfer market”.

If ever there was a sentence that creates the line in the sand and divides Arsenal supporters it is surely this. I do not agree with it in the slightest and I view those who do as being ignorant of basic football economics to the point of embarrassment. But this needs much more explanation and I don’t have the time and the inclination to do so is fading daily.

36. Good one Raspers, area 3 !

Come to think of it, we already have Area 4 – it’s called Club Level. Right, that is everybody offended.

38. Just making a point from the ‘Ladies corner’.

London’s telling of the story of our experience at the Carling Cup Final is correct and while the gentleman may have been concerned that his wife was not enjoying the enthusiastic swearing from the young man next to me – if you go to football and your team is playing pants it’s gonna happen.

I’m sure that bad language is greatly reduced when we’re enjoying a win. Although I have to admit that when we scored our second against Barcelona I’m pretty certain something like ‘f*”?^>g brilliant’ jumped out of my mouth :oops:

39. Love it Rasp – do I qualify as a ‘geezerbird’?

40. Sorry to hear about your wife’s accident gunnerN5, wish her a full and speedy recovery.

Great rant Gn5 and welcome back.

Sorry about your missus.

In the Upper West where I normally sit there’s very little singing except in the big glamour games (Barca, ManUre and of course Spuds).

I would like to say I stand up and try and galvanise everyone around me but the truth is I don’t. If you try it you get a lot of strange looks and I suppose I’m just too self-conscious. Does that make me a ‘rubbish supporter’? I’d like to think not.

Back in the 80s and 90s when I was at all the home games there were still plenty of older diehard Gooners who weren’t big singers but whose loyalty to Arsenal was never in doubt. It was just that they seemed to have reached a point in life (from middle age onward) where they were happy to leave the singing to the younger brigade, except for those magical moments where the hole ground was bopping.

Away games were different of course. Everyone sang on the away trips.

There is a gentrification process going on in football. I’m not sure we can do much to stop it and I think it’s unrealistic to expect all the non-singing hordes (most of whom are genuine fans) to suddenly start chanting.

The answer is probably for the club to do more by having more designated ‘singing’ sections, by using the sound system to broadcast the singing to all parts of the ground and so on.

42. TotalArsenal says:

Hi Rasp, your idea of dedicated sections according to shared ‘background characteristics’ makes perfect sense… and it’s very funny. I would join Chary in area 3, as I am sure we would be accompanied by some decent old hard rock to pump up the adrenaline!

I seem to remember a few years ago, Ajax tried to recreate the former F-side section they had in ‘De Meer’/old ground, within the new stadium ‘De Arena’. They had also realised there was not enough atmosphere/verbal support for the team and that’s why they made the change. How difficult would it be to do this at the Emirates?

43. TotalArsenal says:

Peaches, yes RvP would make a good captain if he would be playing in the hole. As we have seen especially in the last two months, he loves the club and gave it his all where some of the others had given up. He just got so much more mature since the birth of his kids, and can be both supportive as well as demanding towards other players. He is an extravert, unlike Cesc and he would jump at the opportunity. In the hole position, he would have a bit more time to lead the team and make the right football/leadership decisions.

44. Red Arse says:

Good afternoon Cherubs, :-)

Reading thru’ the comments I am in the odd position of thinking all of you are correct.

Dealing with just one comment, I agree that the support is patchy at the Emirates (but then I have only been twice), :-) but the contrast, from my season ticket days at Highbury, was quite startling.

Myself, my companion and three young strangers at one of the games tended to set each other off singing thru out the match.
    In the two rows immediately in front of us, a group of seemingly effete men of disparate ages, spent more time chatting to each other or making ‘phone calls than watching the game. Wierd.

Rocky,

I know you are talking sense but the perceived ‘gentrification’ has the effect of castration unfortunately.

TA

I certainly think the club should make it easier for supporters to move if they are unhappy with those they sit amongst so that there could be some kind of natural selection taking place.

I agree that the gentrification of football is stifling the atmosphere. It also explains why there is a higher noise level at s”’tholes like Stoke, Wolves and Man City.

47. dandan says:

BR That is definitely not PC my friend :-) Stoke and Wolves I agree with, but have some sympathy with City. Imagine how we would be when winning something, if we had lived in the shadow of the Spuds the way those poor buggers have had to endure the triumphalism of those other manc,s.

48. Right on there TotalA – imagine if they pumped “One shot at glory” out just before kick off, the crowd would be whipped up into a frenzy.

Steady on Rasp. They’ll never neuter the Accountants’ Poetry Section!

50. Red Arse says:

Rasper,

That’s me in Area 7 with my pearl one knit one, then! :-)

Cunning accountants and flibberty gibbett poets, who needs them, eh? :-)

51. TotalArsenal says:

Chary, what about ‘Run to the Hills’ by IM. Plenty of ‘english mustard’ in that song haha.

52. evonnethegunner says:

Rasp – yeah, you forgot a special area for you, simply because you are not safe around those from 7

RA – your companion? Not an ex-girlfriend?

53. v says:

Wilshere is the man to tell everyone to pull their finger out!!! no one listens! he is too young!!!

54. evonnethegunner says:

N5 – sorry to hear about your wife’s accident, it must have been hell for both of you! Both wrist, blimey

DD. It was written in jest. …. Gentrification – those citiies.

I like MC and their fans are great, but the surrounding area is hardly what one could call “gentrified”

I would like to be in the Knitting Area and I think GM will join me ;-)

BR, Chary and TA
    I would have us walk out to Blood of the Kings by Manowar!

58. Red Arse says:

Nice Post GN5 and good to see you back on the site. :-)

I was amused to see it is the first part of many Posts.

One of my relaxations is reading and I have very eclectic tastes, but subjects I occasionally enjoy is science fiction and epic fantasies. The authors of these frequently extend their stories into a series of books which are printed annually over many years.

Is this what you intend? :-)

59. 26may1989 says:

Nicely written post N5, and welcome back. Plus all the best to Mrs N5.

But I have to strike a contrary note on this atmosphere thing. I’ve been going to Arsenal games for over 30 years, and truth be told, in that time we’ve never had much of an atmosphere. For big games (Spurs, Liverpool, West Ham), it lifted, but for most games, it wasn’t much different from the reserved, quiet affairs I see today. It wasn’t called “Highbury the Library” for nothing, we’re a quiet bunch of fans. And in some ways home support is much better now than it was in the 1970s and 1980s: the attendances for more routine games then were shocking. I certainly remember being at one league game where it was as low as 17,000, but it was a good day if we managed to get over 30,000. And that was when Highbury held 60,000. But today (even accounting for the club’s ridiculous attendance figures) every game has at least 50,000 people.

Do I wish the atmosphere were better more often? Sure. But we’ve never had the culture of a Balkans team, or Celtic, or Stoke, and the gentrification/family entertainment issues that London mentions mean it’s not going to happen any time soon.

My real bugbears about our support are (a) people leaving early and (b) over critical fans who decide that sarcasm and moaning is the way to react to players not doing as well as we’d like. My view is if you’ve got nothing helpful to say, shut up until the final whistle, otherwise get behind the team.

60. dandan says:

BR sorry was laughing with you not at you.
    The remarks on City were out of pity really. Incidentally a lot of the houses around the old Main Road are owned by Robbie Fowler, now that was a rough Area, he bought them I believe thinking the ground would be redeveloped and a lot of compulsory purchase orders would be issued, but the council built Arab City for the games and rented it out instead, I also believe the new ground is slightly out of town and a bit more respectable, wouldn’t swear on it haven’t been there yet.

61. TotalA – yeah, plenty of English there, but probably a bit too quick a song, it’d leave us breathless.
    Rocky – crikey, Manowar, that’s a name I haven’t heard in a long time. They were very similar to Armored Saint were they not ?

26may
    Happy Name Day!
    I agree with you that it’s unrealistic to expect the whole crowd at the Grove to sing as one on a regular basis – and that anyone who thinks this used to happen regularly at Highbury is looking through rose tinted glasses.
    But you’re also right to highlight a new (Emirates) phenomenon that needs to be stamped out – namely the sarcasm, ironic applause and instant booing every time a pass goes slightly astray or a suspect ‘keeper catches the ball. That really doesn’t help the atmosphere and I, for one, never do it and give my hardest Paddington Stare to anyone nearby who does.

63. Carlito11 says:

Rasp- you are on fire today! Loved this “And lastly an accountants area where fans could recite poetry to one another ” and the further comments on club level and Chary’s cage!

Chary
    Were?
    Manowar are still going strong I’ll have you know (although drummer Scott Columbus died last month). And they still hold the world record for the loudest ever concert.
    Armored Saint broke up years ago I think.

65. London says:

I don’t know if it is the rose tinted glasses or not but I do seem to remember the atmosphere being better at Highbury than we have the majority of time at the Emirates today.
    One of the problems as I see it is that many people got displaced when they moved. To chose my seat at the Emirates, as a season ticket holder, I had to go to a building near Pentonville Road where I was shown a computer image of what the view would be like from various seats in the new ground. I wouldn’t say anything I was shown was truly representative of what I finally got. This must be true for all season ticket holders, I simply don’t believe that the club had the foresight to say to people when they were choosing their tickets that if you want to sing you should be in the North Bank or the Clock End (we know they missed a trick by not using those names to guide us) Consequently people got scattered all over the ground and it is my firm belief that many, if given the opportunity, would like to move.

Solution: establish a season ticket swap scheme.

I am in the upper west almost on the half way line and would like to sing my heart out behind they goal, would anyone like to swap?

Interesting read GunnerN5, and all the very best to your wife.

I can only contribute so much as I have never been to The Emirates,but the so called hard core fans used to stand on the terraces though it has been pointed out that a few games this season,especially Barca the home support was vocal.
    Good point about it becoming more a family outing as opposed to men being with their mates and letting loose all their frustration,anger,pleasure by sheer emotion.

Liverpool are unique with the home support nd like it or not it is generally accepted that it is/was a working class game as opposed to rugby.
    I have heard that stewards stifle any resemblence of people actually enjoying themselves and leting rip,be it good or bad, but as stated above 30 or 40 years ago the atmosphere was more often than not dreadful.
    health and afety rules didn’t apply in those days and to some extent there are pros and cons of that today.
    In any environment you get all sorts of people and they express themselves differently and that applies to football.
    When I moved into the seating area at Highbury you knew everyone around you and it was like several little groups of people that one saw week in and week out.and again everyone reacted differently win lose or draw.
    maybe it’s an age thing ;)

67. TotalArsenal says:

Hey Rocky. Chary, Man-o-War!!!!!!!!! That is a blast from the past. I saw them best part of 30 years ago in a tiny village in the South of Holland. Until I entered the village hall, I did not believe they would actually be there (I was such a big fan at the time). Not more than 80 fans were there but they were so loud. My dad was waiting in his car for us at the end of the gig, and he said everything was shaking in the village; that’s how loud it was. Absolutely brilliant.

68. Rocky, Manowar never quite hit the big time here although I’d liked their caveman/warrior gimmick and their largely anthemic type of style.
    TotalA – that’s a bit like when I saw Uli jon Roth play the student hall at Leeds Poly back in 1984 – he had a hall sized PA being used in a small bar.
    The bar maids didn’t know what hit them.

69. have goosebumps just by thinking about that goal.
    If any of you gooners here did see that live, plz share ur experiences with me and other gooners.
    Imagine we do the same next year :)

70. TotalArsenal says:

hi London, it has to be a ‘lesson learnt’ for other clubs who decide to build a new stadium: make sure you move the excisting fan-sections together, ‘en masse’ to the new ground. Would be the best guarantee to keep an element of atmosphere going. Once the fans are scattered throughout the stadium it becomes very hard to reunite them, yet it is such a vital part of being a ‘home fortress’.

71. goonermichael says:

London
    If you are still here. I should have said “thier percieved lack of ambition in the transfer market” Some people do think we are not ambitious becuase we haven’t bought Torres, Suarez, Drogba or David Villa but some people see not getting a keeper (schwarzer) as a lack of ambition beacuse we tried to get him on the cheap than left it late and missed out. Or not getting a defender when TV was injured. Signing sylvestre, what was that about? A cast off from our main rivals.

72. TotalArsenal says:

Chary, Uli Jon Roth I do not know at all – passed me by!

73. He was an ex-scorpions guitarist, he went all mystical with his guitar playing at that time but he had a cool 26(I think it was) fret guitar..

74. London says:

GM

I see what you mean.

75. Gooner in Exile says:

GN5 top rant, on the fans I whole heartedly agree, I have a solution and it concurs slightly with London’s displacement theory.

As I see it the singing was North Bank and Clock End (I’m talking pre bond and all seater). When they sold the bonds and adopted seating at Highbury the noise levels started to drop, although there was still more noise than today as we had clearly defined ends and those were the ends responsible for the noise. The West and East may get involved on memorable matches. (Talking of the all seater I must dig out the letter I wrote to the Arsenal Board when they tore down the North Bank)

People have talked of gentrification and not wishing to upset families with youngsters etc, have you heard kids talk today? Go to Bolton, Blackburn and Stoke as I have done in recent years and you will see kids aged between 12-16 giving it large to the away support with all kinds of hand signals as their parents look on smiling and egging them on.

There is a simple solution to the Emirates but the club will never back it, simply do not allocate seats in Clock End and North Bank (as now named). Just sell a seat in the area block x-xxx are choose your seat. Rather than have 1 block of Red Action (how many empty seats were there in there for the Villa game by the way) fans gathered we may get 2 or 3 blocks at the back of each section creating noise. I don’t expect the whole ground to sing as one, but I expect noise to start at either end that might go round the stadium.

I sing, sing and sing even in the lower tier surrounded by families. Its much harder in the Upper Tier to sing without being looked at weirdly.

As for the Captain, players like TA and PV are one in a generation, we were lucky to have them both. But Cesc is not captain material, when you stand in the wall and lift your arm to block the free kick when stood in the area you have lost any respect from your teammates if you rant at them for doing something as schoolboy like in the future, perhaps thats why Denilson wasn’t happy with him.

76. TotalArsenal says:

The referee for the CL final will be Kassai from Hungary. Although he refereed the Spain – Germany WC semi-final, I cannot understand UEFA choosing a referee from such a small football league. Surely, for such a big game the referee should be either Italian or German.

77. Hi all, the post cupboard is nearly bare so if you’ve something to say please send it through, thanks

78. johnQ says:

what is the AA’ers opinion about Viera taking the coaching role at Arsenal next season?

Damn it I have him in a heartbeat!!

79. Gooner in Exile says:

I played football tonight the mind was willing the body wasn’t.

They decided to let me float around midfield, those that have met me will realise float is an unlikely description of what I might do.. :D

Feeling the pain now, was going to have a relaxing night but I have a couple of ideas for a post.

John. Vieira 100% yes

GIE. You need a pre-season. I think you missed last year and it affecting your end of season performance – much like JW

81. GiE – hmmmmnnnn I can see how floating would be testing for you :)

82. Damn, I’ve just read the last line of your comment :oops:

You know I wouldn’t upset you for the world :D

83. Gooner in Exile says:

To be fair I put in a decent shift for the first 8 a-side in a year. My bro in law is a train driver and it was Guards v Drivers and a couple of drivers had picked up late injuries.

I was fat Cesc Fabregas looking for the key to unlock the tight defence. (ok was more Jan Molby). Game ended 0-0 and we hardly had a shot on goal….well i did but from way outside the area and not one was on target :oops:

Scored my penalty in the shoot out though and we ran out triumphant 4-3 winners on penalties (rather embarassingly 8 penalties a side were taken for that meagre total).

In fairness goals were hockey siz’ish.

BR pre season……i did a a couple of those :)

84. Gooner in Exile says:

bah hit enter too early

BR pre season …. i did a couple of those and they never agreed with me :)

85. goonergal says:

I am not fortunate enough to have a season ticket at the emirates, I had not watched Arsenal in the flesh since the good old days of Highbury, where I stood most of the time in the northbank singing to the clockend, olay olay olay! apart from ewhen the mural was there as that would have been just stupid!
    My friends son lent me his ticket, I went merrily skipping off to watch my beloved Arsenal play against Blackburn, I was looking forward to it so much it actually hurt, oh boy did I come doen to earth with a bang and I can say without resevation I do not want to go there again I was sitting behind the goal on I think the middle upper section, and was gutted by what I witnessed that day. Not as you would expect the way we could not break Blackburn down, but by the people around me a man sitting/ranting behind me went on and on through the whole game calling our players out as not fit to wear the shirt, Samba is a real player ~ wenger is an arse for not signing him, how much his season ticket cost on and on and on all through the game, wenger out! Blah Blah Blah! if I had purchased that seat for a whole season I think I would have been arrested for murder, he drove me mad for the whole game, my son and his friend later told me they had expected me to actually tell him to shut the f#*k up, in the hope they would not have to listen to him in future games, but I had my “I am a lady” hat on that day, I must admit at home I scream at the telly “do this wenger, do that, wenger, but as a fan lucky enough to be there week in week put your voice behind the team, the emirates semms disjointed to me, pockets of fans may start a chant but it just fades away and never goes around the whole ground, we don’t even seem to have proper songs anymore, the atmosphere was horrible. I used to be able to reach out and touch the passion at Highbury but I just did not feel it that day. Has our fanbase changed so much? have we become too polite? is it something to do with prawn sandwiches?, I just don’t get it I dared to jump up at one stage, as I watch all Arsenal games on the edge of my seat win, lose or draw, I was abruptly told sit down! I am not an AKB, a doomer or gloomer, or any other set of randonm letters used to critisize other arsenal fans, I just love Arsenal, I have again experienced all the emotions that each season brings the highs, lows, and what feels like inevitable tears when it all goes wrong, but I will spend my money supporting Arsenal next year and every year after that. Come home Veira we need you, next year gooners we will all be millionaires!!

86. Gooner in Exile says:

Goonergal get s red membership and get a few tickets away…,the old songs exist :)

87. Evonnethegunner says:

GoonerGal – I went to the Blackburn game too. I am not well and stopped going to games about 3 years ago. It was the first and possibly last for another 3 years.
    It was a boring game, fans abuse aimed at Wenger and players unacceptable. I could not swear or shout becasue I was accompanied by a lawyer, our own 26may.
    I loved going to Highbury, so many fond memories, it really felt like being ‘at home with your family’. The first 2 seasons at the Emirates were better, so much enthusiasm and joy from just being there.

I agree with you, it has changed, died down somehow.

Rocky, GiE – what happened to the petition about cannons, chants, arseday?? We need to take action

Cannot wait for start of new season.

89. Evonnethegunner says:

Oh Micky – patience is a virtue, seldom found in a man, never in a woman :) good morning

Morning Evonne,
    I don’t think patience is a virtue. Its like the old saying that if at first you don’t succeed, try try… whereas I teach my children that if at first they don’t succeed, change the bloomin’ plan :-)

91. Evonnethegunner says:

Micky – good idea, nothing winds me up more than people trying to press the same key on the computer knowing that it didn’t work on previous 100 tries

I hate summers and the long wait; I say that I don’t do internationals, but in Poland we say that if there is no fish to catch, crab is a fish.

I am so looking forward tomorrow, come on little Lionel !

GiE,
    Brilliant suggestion yesterday about not allocating seating area.

“crab is a fish”
    Big Raddy would be causing a ruck in Poland.

Evonne,
    I am considering buying two pigs as pets. Well, when I say pets what I mean is workers, and when I say workers I mean machines, and when I say machines I mean rotivators.
    Rotivators we can stroke. Two stroke rotivators :-)
    What do you think?

95. Evonnethegunner says:

Micky – you know what I think about you! That you are the funniest man I know! Two stroke rotivators, genius:)
    Me is stupid and bought a Mantis instead; you are welcome to borrow it. Or you can borrow my German sheppard, she loves digging in the garden

I’m afraid me and those German Dogs fell out a while ago. The Mantis, on the other hand, I have big plans for!

97. Evonnethegunner says:

Micky – I am in Oakwood, come and get it anytime. I hardly ever use it now, soil on my allotment is beautiful now. What will you grow? I like growing spuds, the nice variety

I am going to bugger off now, and allow the site to return to matters Arsenal. The common good prevails. Bye for now.

And there was me thinking you were referring to the Preying type!
    I grow everything including slugs and snails!
    Really bye.

New Post

101. apple ipad future…

Just want to say your article is astounding. The clarity in your post is simply spectacular and i can assume you are an expert on this field. Well with your permission allow me to grab your rss feed to keep up to date with incoming post. Thanks a milli…