The Last Post

So we arrive at the hateful day when the approaching empty oceans of a no-football summer is at hand. Normally, it a day of deep depression but following the events post- Birmingham, there is a sense of relief that the disappointments of the past 3 months have come to an end. Such are the slings and arrows of supporting an Arsenal team in “development.”

My intention was to write a Fulham post littered with literary quotes and clever quips, but quite frankly I can’t be arsed!  Instead you will get the chaotic final episode of Big Raddy’s pre-match ramblings for the 2010/11 season.

It seems a short while ago since the opening day draw against Liverpool when my hopes for the season were established. At that time I would have  asked for :- Us to be in the mix at the end of March, have had a decent Cup run, a couple of famous victories in the CL, and some standout individual performances from the players. All of which has come to pass, and yet, and yet, I feel really disappointed. I can’t decide whether this is because I am an ingrate (my father’s favourite name for me!) or because I lived with too high expectation, either way, BR, like many fans is unhappy.

Today we hope to rejoice in  a possible victory over another set of heathens, in this case a Fulham team managed by the miscreant Mark Hughes. Now it has to said that if Mr Hughes were to be in my close proximity, I would not dare to speak my mind – why? Because he is a venomous, vituperous, violent viper of a man, and he would knock me into  next week. This is a manager created in the image of SAF and Fat Sam; the only manager who elicits antipathy from Mr Wenger (which is surely proof of his awfulness).  I do not like him and with his record I cannot understand how he remains a PL manager, it is once again proof that in football mediocrity can be handsomely rewarded.

His Fulham team reflects his playing philosophy; destruction ahead of creativity, workrate ahead of  skill. They have fought their way to safety based upon a solid defence, a competitive midfield and aggressive  but low scoring attack (only 47 goals so far this season ). Dempsey is their top scorer on 12 followed by Zamora and Hangeland with 4 apiece. On current form (last 8 games) Fulham lie 6th (as opposed to our 10th), and are difficult to beat at Craven Cottage. A Top 10 finish is a definite possibility and with a victory today they could finish as high as 7th, which would represent a fine campaign.

Enough of them, what about us? Would that I could say we have enjoyed a successful campaign, we have had another season of so near, yet so far. The problems which were manifest over the past 3 years resulted once again in our failing – a back-up quality DM, a proper GK, and an organised, secure defence. But there have been plusses, many of them: – beating all the teams around us including both CL Finalists, discovering a Goalkeeper , 2 decent CB’s (JD & Kos) and 2 superb young MF’s, plus sorting out the uncertainty at Board level.

If anything the problems on the terraces are more concerning than those on the pitch. In the 50+ years I have been an Arsenal fan I have never witnessed the kind of antipathy between fellow fans. The Black Scarf movement, anti-Wenger chants and the booing of the team are all evidence of a growing dissatisfaction which can be seen on both blogsites and the terraces. Any support of the manager or the team is seen as senseless and retrogressive by a growing number of fans. To me this is a bewildering progression, I am an Arsenal fan, you are an Arsenal fan, we may have different ideas as to how the team can improve but surely we are a brotherhood. As one who is privy to the AA backroom, I can tell you that there have been hundreds of abusive comments which have been moderated off the site and they come primarily from Arsenal fans who think it fair game to abuse fellow fans. I disagree and disagree strongly.

Right – off the soapbox and onto our team for today. I am hoping for a Nasri return. Losing him and Cesc at the same time massively reduces our creativity. The Ramsey/Wilshere midfield may well be the future but it is not the present, though Chamakh deserves a start following his performance last week.

My team:

Fulham has not been blessed with Heavy Rockers though Brian May and Kelly Jones (Stereophonics) are residents.

Finally, I would like to thank all those who have read a Big Raddy pre-match this season. I hope they have entertained and BR would like to say that anything offensive has been written in jest (as if!). I wish you all a fantastic post and pre-season and look forward to seeing you in the comments. (though BR is now in Italy)

Come on You Rip Roaring Gunners.

158 Responses to The Last Post

1. goonermichael says:

Thanks for the post Raddy

2. goonermichael says:

Where is everyone? I like Chamakh. I think if he plays just ahaed of RVP he’d do well.

Morning gm,

Thanks for another stylish pre-match Raddy. I agree we should start with Chamakh and try to get the ball out early to the flanks and provide him with some service. We have to go all out for a decisive win and hope that City drop points.

4. goonermichael says:

Morning Rasp
    I’m off to work now. See you later

5. MistaKen says:

Good post but we will lose today because the players don’t know how to win at this stage of the season. As for the booing, sadly the increasing price of tickets will ensure our ever growing fan base of uneducated wealthy punters will boo even louder until we start winning

6. TotalArsenal says:

Hi British Rail, oh oops, I mean Big Raddy (Who’s the Raddy!?), a fine pre-match write-up!

You sum up our feelings perfectly well: so close and yet so far. Let’s hope for a fine finish today, and maybe ‘Arsenal-style-of-football-fan’ Coyle will do us a favour and beat the money grabbers of Citeh.

Come on the Gunners!

Who knows which Arsenal tam will turn up.

Looking through the “rumour mill” IF Wenger really means what he says it will either be an admission that project youth has run it’s time or he really is going to have a massive clearout.My guess is for the first time pressure has been demanded from the BoD for him to change his approach plus the fact that we actually have money to spend for a change.

I honestly think Cesc will be off if the valuation is met by Barca.

However to make wholesale changes just won’t happen and if it did it would take time for a new squad to gell together.

We have IMO a few outstanding players in Cesc,Vermaelen,Nasri,RVP and Sagna and then we have those who are the raw recruits in Wilshere,Ramsey and I will include Kos (as I think he has improved dramatically as the season has progressed .)
    Djourou has been with us for years and like Diaby and Rosicky are injury prone and unfortunately so is RVP.Many of the others are overpaid squad players.

It doesn’t sit well with me that after the horse has bolted, certain players say they have let the manager down, but hardly a mention of the fans, except from one or two first teamers.

These guys are some of the highest paid in the league and it is their duty to give 100% every game.That leads to the question were is the motivation to win .Is it Wenger’s fault or are they just a load of prima donnas who are guided by their dreaded agents to disrespect loyalty to the club and it’s fans and let everything revolve around how much money they can earn regardless of effort.

I am falling out with my love of football as what is happening now can’t be sustained, and the paying fans in the main are on wage freeze and it will continue in the UK as in other parts of the world for a number of years.

This summer will be pivitol as to the direction the club goes, but as a senior supporter, 6 or 7 years without a trophy means nothing to me.I have seen much much worse times than these,and eventually Arsenal will rise again when sanity is restored.

Hi MistaKen and welcome.

I hope you’re first sentence is incorrect but accept the sad truth of your second.

The summer is generally torture for us Arsenal supporters, but this is set to be the worst ever.

The idea that we would want ‘any player’ from Barca as a make weight on a Cesc deal is ridiculous. We only want players who want to play for us so at least we can be sure that we get 100% committment from the player.

9. MistaKen says:

Samba, Cahill and Hangerland and we will have steel, belief and concede half as much as this season. Vermalen will be injury prone for ever just like all Arsenal players until the club recognises we have a problem with injuries and address it.

10. I’m disgusted, the mancs and the spuds are on sky today and so is the stoke v wigan game – fair enough they are all relegation battles but the mighty Arse aren’t even on the stream I use – what’s going on??????

11. Red Arse says:

Hi Guys, :-)

Raddy, a nice, gentle, somewhat whimsical review of our disappointing season. Thank you my man! :-)

TA, Big Raddy is so named after the iconic centre forward from yesteryear, Big John Radford. You can still see him and his sometimes incomprehensible Yorkshire accent on ATVO. (The original JR, not BR) :-)

12. kelsey – good point about the wages and the players being prima donna’s and only caring about the money and not the club. I still think it’s going to be a huge problem to shift any player that Arsene has decided to move on. Theo has been on £60k/week for 2 years now – ridiculous.

13. Not that I’m suggesting that Theo should move just pointing out that the boy is 21/22 and many supporters have questioned his worth.

14. Red Arse says:

Peaches, our match was originally scheduled to be shown, but as it is a ‘non’ match Sky hooked it. :-(

I wish AW would lister to me. He is quoted in the papers today as saying the fans must understand the season ticket prices had to go up to enable us to compete in the transfer market.

This is going to cause even more animosity towards him from a large section of fans. He must leave this sort of thing to the CEO or Silent Stan, otherwise he will bear the brunt of the backlash. Especially if we do not buy much this Summer.

15. Red Arse says:

Got to go, but, Evonne, I am not surprised you do not like poetry.

Why can’t Wordsworth, Keats, Shelley and the rest of them just speak in good old fashioned, straightforward Polish! :-)

It wasn’t the breeze, that tickled your knees … it was my finger.

It wasn’t the grass that played with your arse … it was my ……..

Now that’s more like it! :-)

Sayonara.

16. Compete in the transfer market!!!!!!!! Pah, what rubbish, we moved to a new stadium in order to compete in the transfer market.

The only way we’ll compete is if we have loads of dosh to spend and we don’t so that’s a non-starter.

For an intelligent man, our Arsene does spew a load of tripe sometimes :(

17. Carlito11 says:

RA- hopefully that is the clearest indication that we’re planning to spend properly this summer…
    Peaches- cannot believe our game is one of only 2 not being shown- perhaps we are being spared a last drop of misery?
    Thanks for the pre-match BR- and for all the pre-matches this season- top notch!

18. TotalArsenal says:

Thanks RA for explaining the Big Raddy reference. You are right regarding Arsene’s defence of the increase in ticket prices: he should stay well out of it.

Hey Kelsey, agree with your feelings regarding our players’ motivation the last few months. I would include Szczesny as ‘raw recruit’ and am surprised you left our ‘only Song’ out. He had a phenomenal season, and we have missed him everytime he did not play.

So, I am now off the watch my boyhood team Roda play ADO Den Haag for the 2nd leg UEFA spot play-off. It is on ESPN!

Peaches, I saw somewhere that the season ticket price increase generates an extra 4 million a season. We sure are gonna buy big with that!

I’m sure you’re aware of myp2p, but just in case. I’ve always found a sopcast link that works. Not sure if I’ll watch it.

I left Szczesny out as he is a very raw recruit but has confidence a bundle and Song is a bit like marmite :)

21. Hi chas – the season ticket hike just makes us feel used :(

Actually I feel double used because I use ‘silver’ membership tickets to buy my seats for games and the silver membership has increased by 50% in addition to the extra I’ll be paying for my tickets :(

22. Evonne says:

Hiya BR – great pre-match, thank you. You think that Chamakh deserves a start, but you don’t include him in your team, how come?

I like your view on our midfield: ‘Ramsey/Wilshere midfield may well be the future but it is not the present’, how true.

I am not sure Hughes is the only one that Mr Wenger does not like, I seem to remember him having problems with Jol, Pardew, Fergie and few others

23. Evonne says:

Peaches – here is a link to a site with dozens of links http://www.freefootball.org/upcoming.php?id=a

24. Evonne says:

RA – OMG!!!

25. Thanks Evonne – I’ve got my dark glasses on, have you?

26. Evonne says:

Hiya Kelsey – you are spot on about overpaid players not giving their 100%. I have always defended footballers saying that all entertainers earn ridiculous money, and these guys entertain in front of live audience week in week out, often in attrocious conditions, against violent opposition, far away from home.
    Most of them deserve to earn shitloads. But I am not prepared to pay towards wages of players who don’t give two hoots about the club, the fans or the results.

27. Gooner in Exile says:

BR thanks for a solid pre match to be fair this one must have taken a lot of effort to put energy in to.

Chas you raise an interesting point the £4m ticket increase is hardly going to generate revenue I do believe however it will cover costs fuel and wages (of matchday staff), I would net Policing costs have also risen as they attempt to recoup some of the spending freezes.

MistaKen u make a good point re the fans who can afford it booing it has become akin to a pantomime for some home support altho I still think this is the minority of the crowd. And most of then are too busy munching a pack of donuts or what ever took their fancy at the kiosk.

We have never been the noisiest and there have always had moaners. However I do think the club lost something in the fans way back when bonds were issued for the North Bank redevelopment.

28. Evonne says:

Dark glasses? Why, have you been crying?

29. No, in disguise :lol:

30. Evonne says:

Oh, Nick? No, he actually took it well and agrees with you.

Thanks BR – an elegant and thoughtful pre-match with a brilliant headline.

As well as missing the footy this summer I will also miss the matchday ritual of waking up, getting a cup of tea and opening up the laptop for my Big Raddy pre-match.

The heavy metal theme has also been fun. Maybe season if (as I hope) yo continue to write the pre-matches, you might consider some other aspect of popular culture to delve into for the each of the towns our boys visit.

As to today? I’m resigned to fourth. The only issue is that this current Arsena; team seems intent on finding new ways to heap agony on us, so I’m expecting a loss for Man City… and a loss for us too.

32. Gooner in Exile says:

:D Rocky it wouldn’t be the Arsenal if they didn’t do it

Afternoon Rocky, GiE,

Unfortunately this afternoon’s result is irrelevant when it comes to what needs to be changed over the summer. I, like many others would prefer to see a performance charactreristic of our season rather than a trouncing of Fulham that could add weight to the theory that there is not that much wrong.

It has nothing to do with the (lack of) money available and everything to do with talented players underachieving.

GiE
    I expect us to lose (because the team seem to have given up) but I wouldn’t be surprised if we batter them either.

Rasp
    I fear you’re right.
    It’s not even about the personnel.

When talented players underachieve it’s about the management, motivation and organisation.

Despite all the complaints from fans, the current group of players are good enough to win the EPL. The fact that they have failed to do so from a strong position speaks more about they way they are managed than their abilities as players.

But having said that, we need some experienced heads to come in who have not been poisoned by the “can’t win” malaise that runs through our squad.

Completely agree Rocky – that’s why I was disappointed that Pat Rice’s contract was extended. Don’t get me wrong I think he’s a great guy and wonderful servant to the club, but we need some new blood and new ideas and PR represents the ‘old guard’.

Having said that, PR has been incredibly animated on the touchline throughout the last few games – a stark contrast to AW whose body language has been that of desperation and frustration.

Rasp
    It’s good news that JW is going to get a summer holiday – but AW needs one even more than Jack.

His body language, demeanour, bizarre comments and general defensive grumpiness have been at an all time low in the past couple of months. He makes it easy for rival fans and the media to ridicule him.

As for Patrice… I don’t have a problem with him staying but I was hoping for the addition of a new defensive coach or some other coaching addition to the first team line-up. It doesn’t look like it’s going to happen, so whichever ‘big CB’we sign, our defence is still likely to be disorganised and vulnerable.

Rasp
    Quick WordPress question. Has the site changed? I can’t seem to get into drafts any more…

39. Will u people stop submitting posts once the season closes. Please say no!
    I love this blog

Rocky, the layout behind the scenes changed a couple of days ago and seemed to be linked to a browser update. We haven’t changed anything. Maybe we should re-assign you as an administrator? I’ll take advice and get back to you.

shub,

We endeavour to keep going throughout the summer.

42. Hi Rocky – the ‘drafts’ button at the top of the dashboard seems to have gone. If you use the ‘posts’ button down the left-hand side, the draft posts sit in there aswell. Have a go and let me know.

Peaches
    Thanks – that works!

44. A win would surely help today.
    My predictions:
    Arsenal 3rd
    City 4th
    Liverpool 5th
    Spuds 6th

Blackpool 17th

45. Mickeyk says:

Arsene says he understands that the fans are not happy about ticket prices .how can he understand when he’s on 6millon a year that’s about £125.000 a WEEK .well mr wenger no matter what happens next season your excuses have run out and you have got to win something next season and I don’t mean the carling cup because if you don’t you will be GONE.

Mickeyk
    Do you understand that famine victims in Africa are not happy about their lack of food and resources? You probably earn more in a week than they do in a year, but I’m sure it doesn’t stop you being able to empathise.
    I know people are very cross about AW right now, but slagging him off for saying he understands fans are not happy about ticket prices? Surely you can find better targets than that?

There’s plenty to criticise him for, but slagging him off for perfectly reasonable things he does and says just diminishes the more valid critical points you might want to express.

As it happens, I agree with your second point. If Arsenal fail again next year in the way we have this season then I would not be surprised to see a change of manager.

47. johnQ says:

I love Stereophonics!!

48. dandan says:

Thanks Raddy enjoy your break.

Reading your post’s makes me think the preacher man got his days wrong and the world will end today. One to enjoy.
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Their flags and their banners they are waving with joy and excitement they shout
    The hero has kicked the winning goal but what are they shouting about
    To them it should not really matter ’tis only a game of football
    But to them it is very important and their’s is the best team of all.

At least that is how they do see it their lives revolves around their team
    When their team win a huge boost to their egos and a loss bad for their self esteem
    Last week their team lost in a thriller but their loss reduced them to tears
    And tonight they will sing their Club song in the Local and celebrate with a few beers.

They look forward to the football Season and they live for the love of the game
    And on their bedroom walls a poster sized photograph of their heroes and they know every player by name
    Why do they take football so serious they talk about it at work every day
    But suppose each of us have our own passions and each to their own one might say.

Their flags and their banners they are waving as proudly they sing their Club song
    And they look forward to next weekend’s game each day till then for them too long
    Their football team to them important their lives revolve around the game
    And each time their heroes are defeated the referee’s for the loss they will blame.

Have a good day the new season starts tomorrow and we are all equal.

49. SharkeySure says:

Cheers Br, have a good trip mi amigo.

Why have we still got no team news..??

50. SharkeySure says:

Wojciech Szczesny
    Bacary Sagna
    Thomas Vermaelen
    Johan Djourou
    Kieran Gibbs
    Abou Diaby
    Aaron Ramsey
    Jack Wilshere
    Robin van Persie
    Marouane Chamakh
    Samir Nasri

51. SharkeySure says:

I’m stumped as to who’s gonna play where. Chamakh at CF is all I’ve got so far

Back at H/t. Off to find a stream !

52. SharkeySure says:

Liveonlinefooty.com Ch 13 !

53. Is it??? When I just checked it was cricket, thanks Sharkey xx

Philippe is playing

No Nasri, Cesc or Clichy …. ominous!

Come on Blackpool…..

……and Bolton

57. Nasri is playing just saw him :)

Good, Nasri’s the one most likely to stay

great noise from the travelling support again.

Bright start from us, which must mean it’s only a matter of moments before the first Fulham goal :)

61. Rocky – from so far away ….. so much negativity ;)

62. Urgh – the Manks have scored and so have B’burn

63. … and so it came to pass that Fulham made a quick break down the right and scored :( We used to score goals like that all the time :( :( :(

64. Robin van Persie Robin van Persie yeeeeeeees 1-1

65. SharkeySure says:

That goal was shocking Peaches.

Ours was absolutely outstanding. Mr Diaby…I salute you. Brilliant brilliant play from him.

Sell him…lol

66. I’m over excited obviously, I haven’t blogged while watching a game for ages :P

67. Fantastic free kick by Charlie Adam gives Blackpool a bit of hope

68. Serious multi-tasking going on here :P

69. SharkeySure says:

Online footie has a multicast on …in French. Its our game, but they switch to every other game when a goal as it scored.

OK Peaches, I’m exuding positivity now…. :D

71. Carlito11 says:

RvP has scored 9 consecutive goals in 9 consecutive away games- that is outstanding! 18 Premier League goals and he was out for the first 3 months! What a player when he’s fit! DEFINITELY a 20 goal a season player.
    Gibbs on the other hand was at fault again after Nasri’s daft blind backheel. KG was completely out of position and worse, seemed unaware of the danger in behind him :(
    Loving the Canal+ coverage keeping us up to date with all the goals in other games- quality!

I am on Canal + which flashes to any game when a goal is scored.
    Fulham’s goal was a direct mistake by Ramser with an over elaborating with a back flick to nowhere.

i like the RVP/Chamakh partnership and Robin is on fire (right foot again). Defence still looks vunerable against an ordinary Fulham side .
    Was it Vermaelen that cleared off the line.

sharkey must be the same channel i have got.

which channel is it on online footie please.

was it nasri i thought it was ramsey

anyone out there.

77. Carlito11 says:

Hi Kelsey- was it Ramsey with the backheel then? I thought it looked like Nasri…

78. Carlito11 says:

The Vermaelen saving tackle was unbeleivable! it’s on channel 13 Kelsey

actually it should have been arshavin,but he’s not playing ;)

81. Mickeyk says:

Another let down .why is it when we used to go to them far off places like fulham I used think and know deep in my soul that we would win .mind you thinking about it that was a long time ago.now I just except to be let down I know we won’t win today and it’s only half time.how times have changed even the hope has gone .ps where did it all go wrong arsenal.

Didn’t see either of the goals, but the reckless backheel sounds familiar.

We’ll score three in this half and win 4-1.

83. Mickeyk says:

What a great site and you people are so friendly I’m taking a break now untill next season .have a great summer everybody .

can someone tell me why rvp was booked he was blatantly thrown to the ground.

Cheers Mickeyk
    Come back full of hope and optimism in August!

Djourou ball-watching.

87. SharkeySure says:

Djourou…ball watching of the highest order !!!

he has absolutely no clue where Zamora has gone

Is he a bad defender, or just badly coached?

he’s a back up RL, but the one and only looks a bit shaky today.

the lord said to arsenal come forth….and they did.

91. Harry says:

oh well, perhaps coming fourth, will mean that wenger will really be merciless with his squad over the summer and make some real changes….

Raddy, fine final pre-match, hard to say much about us at the moment…Look forward to your pre=match for the champions league qualifier…

92. johnQ says:

Djourou not fit enough for quite some time now. We have to find a proper replacement for him in the summer so that we can ease him up after injury.

I just heard that Fabregas is enjoying himself at the Spanish Grand Prix. I have my doubts about his supposed injury but whether he’s really injured or not, he should be with the squad.

94. Mickeyk says:

I fear the rot has set in so deep their isn’t a hope of a top four finish next season

95. Gooner in Exile says:

I’m happy Birmingham down

I’m gutted Blackpool down

That is all

96. Carlito11 says:

GiE- ditto

97. dandan says:

So Birmingham used all their luck up at Wembley, be a while before they are at Emirates in the league again.
    Sorry about Blackpool, and The Hammers.

Hope you guys dont spend the summer slagging the club and team off.

The Last Post indeed.

Birmingham down. :)

Gary Neville has retired. :)

99. What a shame for Blackpool although like many of us I’m thrilled that the totts are playing in the Europa lge with B’ham who have just been relegated :P

I know, I’m all heart ……….

As for our lot, what a terrible end to the season :(

100. I don’t have any sound :( what’s the youtube clip of?

101. Who wants to write something for tomorrow? I’ve texted Harry but he hasn’t responded.

Peaches – Taps is ‘the last post’ (in the military).

Can’t write a report as only managed to see about 15 mins of the game (and none of the goals!).

103. That’s ok Rocky, I’ve just turned off the manks ceremony and celebration yuk

104. Harry says:

Cesc is gone for me now, I’d be amazed if he stayed….

105. Harry says:

Peaches, my work phone is knackered, calls are diverted but texts not, so thats why I havent responded……..

Not sure I have time tonight, I have some work to do, see if someone else will do tomorrow’s, I am in the process of a month by month season review…..will be ready in about a week…..

How chuffed I am i that Brum-mug-gits are down, oh shove the carling cup up your……..pure bitterness…

106. Gooner in Exile says:

Harry just get to mid February and be done with it :D

Nothing happened after that.

How do we feel about Cesc being in Spain for the final game of the season? There seems to be some bitterness about it.

107. Evonne says:

Chas @6:06 – beautiful

108. SharkeySure says:

I’m kind of happy for Wigan, really sad for Blackpool, and not too bothered about Brum, even though Ridgewell always does Ok for me in the Fantasy League things year in year out.

Our game. What on earth has happened to Johan..??

Kieran Gibbs. Oh dear.

We need to defend as a team. The hammer blwop of our compelete inability to learn from our mistakes was when Schwarzer saved a very good header from Gibbs. The cross had been made by Sagna. Thats both our full backs no more than 25 yds from oppos goal…IN OPEN PLAY….AWAY FROM HOME !!

Maybe our full backs should be fitted with inter connected limiters, that prevent this from happening..??

109. Neamman says:

Anyone else think that Charlie Adam would be a great buy for us? Though it looks like he will be going to either Liverpool or Man U.

Just my opinion, but if Cesc really was openly in public enjoying the Spanish GP while his teammates were battling for automatic CL qualification, then that seems to me like a statement that he’s off.

If he was not going to be at Fulham for what was actually quite an important game, he could easily have stayed out of sight.

Parading himself at the GP (IF the reports are true) is quite a thing to do in the circumstances.

I’m pretty sure we’ve seen the last of Cesc in an Arsenal shirt.

111. SharkeySure says:

I think Cesc tweeted the picture himself…if true, its very disappointing behaviour

Disgraceful that Cesc was at the Spanish Grand Prix – he’s gone, if he’s not, he should be stripped of the captaincy. no-one is bigger than the club. Give the armband to RvP, TV as vice captain.

113. goonermichael says:

Cesc should have gone last summer. RVP is our most important player.

114. Evonne says:

Why am I having that deja vu feeling??
    Season 2006/07 and our skipper has had his last season with us. His last season was probably his worst at Arsenal, injuries, poor attitude, negative body language, his heart elsewhere. And finally another summer of speculations started with his announcement ‘That’s it guys…’
    Yet, during his last season he cleared £10m geeps, I wonder how much Cesc earned?
    TH should have been sold one year earlier and so should Cesc

115. Evonne says:

And I would be £150 richer. Instead I have a worthless picture of ex-Gunner on my wall

116. goonermichael says:

I’m with you Evonne. I stopped liking him after last summer.

117. goonermichael says:

Can’t you paint barca stripes on his short and sell it?

118. goonermichael says:

short = shirt

119. Evonne says:

GM – nay, he is kneeling in front of the fans, who really don’t look too Spanish to me :) You know the look – shaven head, tatooes, clenched fists and Emirates shirt

120. Harry says:

Well Chelsea have just ended ancelotti’s reign, so the ones calling for wengers head will use this as fuel for their fires…..

121. goonermichael says:

Cut him out and change the background

122. goonermichael says:

Has he gone?

123. Evonne says:

GM – who is gone??

124. Evonne says:

oh yeah, Ancelloti

Whom are they going to get now?? That geezer from Buyern Luis van something

125. str8bat says:

Ancelotis sacked by the chavs – ridiculous. He won them the double last season, now that is impatience!

126. goonermichael says:

Anci that’s your lotti
    I bet that’s the sun headlime tomorrow

127. Rasp – you doubling up again :)

128. Anyway, back to tomorrows post. I don’t suppose we really need a match report do we so who wants to start the moaning?

129. goonermichael says:

Why would we be moaning Peaches? :)

130. Gooner in Exile says:

Just a quickie on Cesc.

If he went to the Spanish Grand Prix which finished about three o’clock whats the problem?

He subsequently tweeted that he was sitting down with his Grandad to watch football this is what it said:

“After a nice day with my family, ready to watch the game with my grandad. Come on Arsenal! Lets finish well boys! #Arsenal”

He doesn’t have to tweet anything, no one is forcing him to do it, so read itto it what you will.

I don’t have a problem with an injured player not being at the game, especially away ones, Wenger never lets them travel away unless in the squad normally so why would he treat today any different?

131. goonermichael says:

I’ll give Wenger til Christmas. If there’s no improvent then we need a change before the next window..

132. Quite right gm, I stand corrected :oops:

We need a post for tomorrow although I’m sure we’d still get a discussion going if we just published a picture of my dog :)

133. goonermichael says:

Ther would be people trying to send abusive comments saying sack him he’s a dog.

Hi GiE – you don’t have a problem with Cesc attending the Spanish Grand Prix?…. tell me honestly, bearing in mind the collapse of our season, if you were captain, do you think you would have put yourself in the limelight at another sporting event rather than supporting your teammates. I’ve met you and I’d bet my bottom dollar you would have been at Craven Cottage.

I don’t even believe he has much of an injury – call me cynical :(

135. goonermichael says:

GiE
    The other players probably appreciate thier captain tweeting good luck to them after watching the grand prix in a different country. Shows leadership. He is so gone. As gone as a very gone thing.

136. If you haven’t seen Theo’s goal here it is, it’s actually rather good …… watch how he deftly pushes the ball away and then runs onto it while turning on the rocket power. Well done Theo, more of those please

137. Gooner in Exile says:

I just think there is a lot of anti Cesc feeling going on at the moment, has he been to any away game when injured? Or are any of our players for that matter, like i say if you’re not in the squad you don’t travel away normally.

Yes he could have been there, and yes I would have been there, but I am not sure it has ever been the way with us under Wenger.

Its pretty hard to be a footballer and not be in the limelight wherever you go, for me he deserves a little more sympathy from us right now, do we really want to push him out of a door he is half hanging out of already?

The Emirates wasn’t even full last Sunday, how much could the fans possibly care about third place, why should we expect the players to give a damn? Its all about trophies right, well if he is off to win one elsewhere why should we be surprised we don’t think he’ll win won with us either.

And if he does leave and if this is a sign of it can you blame him, would you want to play football in such a negative environment?

Clearly I am using “we” in the wider sense as I know most on here don’t feel its all about the silver things, I’m sure Birmingham players will look at their CC winners medals and cry into their beer tonight when they realise it means sweet FA.

Thanks GiE, you are of a more generous disposition than I :P

I really think it is unfair to tar all the ‘Emirates fans’ with the same brush. Wholesale condemnation of the fans and apportioning blame for poor performances is likely to make the honest supporters want to stay away. What’s the point of me and other AA’ers going to games if we’re going to be branded as bad supporters and taking the blame for the team’s failure – it’s ludicrous.

139. Gooner in Exile says:

Rasp my disappointment was all vented at Bolton away whatever has happened since then has been irrelevant so I have already made my positive turn and am looking forward to next season. :)

My point about Emirates being empty was more a devils advocate thought process that Cesc could easily be using to justify not being there today.

The problem is as probably discussed previously by visitors here and by Gazidis himself fans are in danger of being priced out.

There were unsold tickets on the Exchange, some would say an indictment of the poor form but you could equally argue that those fans that consider themselves excluded had a chance to be there and didn’t take it.

When the team becomes successful again I’ll be lucky to get a seat unless I miraculously make it up the red member ladder to silver anytime soon.

There’s also been a number of fans selling their Season Tickets on Twitter I don’t understand how this works, but it’s happening and makes a mockery of the waiting list.

I wanna see a picture of Peaches’ dog. :)

Bloody Catist.

142. Evonne says:

Chas – he is not Peache’s!!! He is her and mine grandson. I don’t know how to attach a photo to a blog :( I tried and tried again, but it doesn’t work :(

Peaches’ dog is her and mine grandson. Silly me for thinking RA was the weird one around these parts :-)

144. Evonne says:

Micky – yeah, you are silly :)

Ralph is the most beautiful baby pug in the world. My son bought him for Peaches’ daughter; instead of children those two have a dog, hence the grandson bit.

145. Gooner in Exile says:

Our dog Alfie (Lhasa Apso) always gets excited when my wife tells him we’re going to Nanny and Grandads (my parents).

He is also becoming a Gooner when we score and I jump up and down he comes to high five and jump with me.

146. Evonne says:

GiE – I call Ralph – Alf for short:) Both his grandmothers (Peaches and I) are mad Gooners and the silly dog LOVES watching footy

147. Evonne says:

Peaches – you have admin rights, Chas wants to see Ralphie, could you publish his pics? He is a Gooner

148. Morning all, ‘sup ?

149. Morning chary – just putting together a quick post

Wazzaa to you too Chary.
    There is something spooky going on.

Hi guys,

The dejection after yesterday’s game has rendered even the most prolific among us ‘post shy’, but luckily dandan has come up with an interesting insight that will be published shortly.

152. I thought mugabe media lockdown may have extended to here too.

Haha chary, no, but it looks like we’re in for a long arduous summer. I haven’t found out yet whether the remarks attributed to AW re: ‘what can he learn from another coach’ are misquotes, but I pray he chooses his words carefully in these turbulent times.

Morning Rasp and Peaches,
    Sounds more than a little intriguing.
    I always said I would wait until after the final ball had been wellied before giving my thoughts on individuals. I am about to break ranks.

155. Red Arse says:

Morning all you (un)happy Gooners, :-)

It’s a New Season, the past is dead – long live the future 2011/12 Champions, Arsenal!! :-)

Having cast a swift glance at the early posters, my eye was drawn to the amusing novelty of being abused as ‘wierd’ by a cross-eyed, pink panther avatar.
    Not that he is wrong! :-)

Morning mickey,

I reckon their are several who have been holding fire but are now primed and ready with both barrels!

Morning RA,

Not much to be happy about at the moment, but talk of poetry, music, wine, food and travel will no doubt sustain where the football can’t ;)

158. New Post

Rasp – dandan’s was a copy and paste from the Times, I’ll put in the new comments