Time to break up the Northern Mafia

Written by Gooner in Exile

It has been a troubling few weeks for us all as Arsenal fans, unfortunately it has led to navel gazing and infighting which is unhealthy for the club and its supporters. So today I aim to give us something to unite in anger against.

After another particular raw deal from the man in the middle I decided to have a bit more of a look at our Select Group of Referees. I must admit I was shocked, presently fourteen of the sixteen select group referees hail from the northern counties. For sake of clarity I drew a line across the country from the Wash to the Severn above the line Northern Monkeys below the line Southern Softies.

The Select Group of Referees started in 2001, in that year the split of north and south was even, and stayed this way until 2004 when the split started to move to the North until we end up in this current situation. Over this time it is undoubtable that we have been on the end of some good and bad decisions. Who can forget Graeme Poll giving the thumbs up for Thierry to take the quick free kicks which caused all kind of fuss.

More recently as the Northern drift has occurred we seem to be getting less and less decisions in our favour. This season for example we have had young Anthony Taylor from Manchester turn down appeals for a penalty against Sunderland in a key game for us this season. All I’m asking is for a small amount of balance. The referees raised in the North appear to enjoy the rough and tumble tactics applied by the more robust teams of the Premier League. It would also appear that they favour their own.

As the geographical shift of referees has occurred, we have also witnessed a shift in the location of the competing clubs. In 2001 the split between north and south was eleven to nine, this is now more uneven fourteen to six. The time has come to stop the rot, we need to see some more balance brought to the Select Group of Referees. I have had a look through the football league referee group to see whether there are many from the South. The good news is there are quite a few referees in the National List who come from the South, however there is one that I would like to say now even though he is from the South should never be allowed to referee in the Premier League.

His name is Darren Deadman and he is listed as from Cambridgeshire, there are a couple of reasons I would not like to see him progress. The first is from memory I am sure he supports the clowns in N17. The second is a bit more personal. Not that I am one to hold a grudge. Eighteen years ago I was goalkeeper and captain of my school first eleven. Mr Deadman had left our school a few years earlier and was already doing his referee training (having given up being a goalkeeper). At the end of every year the Teachers would play the First XI, as long as I had been at the school the pupils had never won the match. With the pupils leading 2-1 with a minute to go Mr Deadman awarded a penalty against me for an innocuous push on the opposition Centre Forward, he smiled as he gave the decision and clearly he did not want my team to beat the teachers and achieve where his generation had failed. Thankfully I saved the penalty. To this day I have never forgiven him for the blatant cheating, and therefore never want to see him progress, like I say I’m not one to hold a grudge. So apart from D. Deadman (Cambridgeshire) could we please have a few more referees from the South in the Select Group please.

132 Responses to Time to break up the Northern Mafia

1. Red Arse says:

Morning, GIE, :-)

Fascinating insight into the refereeing fraternity, and also an illuminating personal note regarding your youthful experience with the ‘Cambridge One’!

Excellent! :-)

2. TotalArsenal says:

Hi GiE, as far as you are concerned that Darren is a Deadman, and quite rightly so!

I lived and worked both in Norwich and London and Liverpool and Manchester over the last ten years, and as a non-Brit, I can confirm there is a definite devide in culture between the North and South. If as many as 14 out 16 members of the ‘Select Group of Referees’ are indeed from the North then that would be a huge benefit for the Northern clubs – little or no doubt about it. But what can be done about it?

3. Evonne says:

Morning GiE – Deadman is a marked man now. I hate him too. Great post, as usual, thank you.

GiE,
    Great stuff, although I think your Wash-Severn Line is way too far North. Sould run through Muswell Hill.

5. Evonne says:

Kelsey, Total, Peaches – i am sorry, I got carried away this morning :( Yes, I do have split personality, regards Mark.

6. Wonderman says:

Gie , thats some really interesting research, I never gave it a thought before.

7. referees are useless. I don’t know more than one or two referees who are not biased against Arsenal. Big big decisions don’t go our way and in the end we are left with a poor scoreline despite having played better than the opposition
    One thing I seriously hope is somehow England realizes the risk of a possible burn-out if he goes to the under-21 championship.Please FA, do a sensible thing for once.

8. Evonne says:

I am convinced that referees and other FA officials are wary of Fergie. Nobody wants to be at the receiving end of his rants. A mixture of fear and respect for one of the football’s greatest man (as much as I hate him) are bound to influence some of the decisions.

9. Evonne says:

Shubham – no, we cannot blame EVERYTHING on referees. Most of them are doing a terrific job, it is only the likes of Deadman from Cambridgeshire that give them bad reputation

10. Red Arse says:

Someone was asking when the transfer window opens.

FIFA allow national FAs to set their own transfer window dates, but I understand the English Transfer Window commences on the last day of the season until the 31st August 2011.

France, Germany and Italy have from the 1st July until the 31st August, so any players bought from those countries by an English club, effectively mean the same dates for us.

In other words, the usual mishmash. Lawyers! Hah, 26! :-)

11. Red Arse says:

Hi Evonne, :-)

Myślę, że GIE powinien trafić Deadman.

RA,
    That’s disgusting!
    Oh and thanks for the dates. T’was I.

13. Evonne says:

Red Arse – you is polish too? How did you do it??? I cannot get polish font! You are clearly not just a pretty face :)

14. Evonne says:

Micky – stop! You are the funniest guy I know

I never get caught up in the bias ref do da, although there are some very unprofessional and inconsistent decisions. As far as Arsenal is concerned, then lets just crack on and score one more clear cut goal than them.
    Changing tack slightly, but on the North/South divide theme, my favourite all time fan chant comes from Torquay United (most southerly league team) who merrily chant “you dirty northern bastards” no matter who they are playing, and that will include Plymouth Argyle (the second most southerly).

16. Red Arse says:

Micky, :-)

Evonne, co masz na myśli Micky jest najśmieszniejsze? :-)

17. TotalArsenal says:

Hi Evonne, you seem to be on fire this morning!

A quick question for you: a Polish guy I know, told me recently that the name of former Feyenoord, Holland and Chelsea goalkeeper Ed de Goey, used to lead to much hilarity back in Poland: is Goey perhaps a Polish swearword?

18. Mickeyk says:

Fantastic news denilson is going brilliant .one of the worst midfielders I’ve ever seen at arsenal.let’s hope he takes song bentner almunia rocsiky squill fabiansky eboue clichy .also get rid of the medical staff and get some new coaches in .it’s a pity pat rice has stayed a good arsenal man but we need to move forward.(denilson added I can’t see myself returning in a Chelsea shirt ,or Liverpool ,or man city) this boy lives in a fantasy world .once he’s gone he’ll never be heard of again.

19. Red Arse says:

Good to see you are in such fine form this morning Mickeyk. :-)

20. Mickeyk says:

Cesc has been a great player for us and loyal but he should go for he’s own good and with the fans blessing.

21. Red Arse says:

Micky,

I am relieved you have never got caught up in the ref’s do da.

I have occasionally seen their like in Walt Disney movies trudging around singing ‘do da, do da, dey!
    Very unsavoury! :-)

22. Mickeyk says:

What has beckham done to his hair it looks like half a syrup

Morning All
    Excellent idea for a post GiE. I wrote one a while back about how referees are biased (subconsciously) against Arsenal and Arsene Wenger, but I had no idea about the north-south divide.

There is no question we have had the rough end of bad reffing decisions for the last few seasons, this one in particular. I would love to have time to look at how many major reffing mistakes went against each of the top six teams this year – I am sure we would be well out in front in the League of Injustice.

We should start a campaign for the FA to start using more European refs. There should be no legal reason why this is not possible.

Let me just pop and get me Grazia. I’ll get back to you on that one. Could be very serious indeed.

Morning Rocky,
    More European refs. They would all be in the pocket of Platini and we would end up Avec Zero Points (that bit is meant to be in French!).
    RA,
    Unsavoury indeed :-)

26. Danish Gooner says:

English refs should never ref in England
    but in Italy or some other country and vice versa.We all know that half or maybe even more then half of them are fans of Manure and probably have shares inthe shite too.

Here’s an idea.
    To my mind refereeing lacks the wow factor. Free kick here, telling off there. Its ok, but how about we have the players wired up to a remote electric shock pulser. A yellow card styley foul or dive gets so many watts, whereas a red card or bad dive gets the maximum wattage. Oh how the crowd would love that. The joy on tha faces of the little Dinosaurus Fans.

In the words of GM, I’ll get me coat!
    As I said, its going to be a long summer and I have very many brilliant ideas up my sleeve. Bye.

29. I think the answer is to have all the games controlled by Polish refs ;)

Then introduce the sin bin for a start.

micky
    I think your proposal for electric reffing could be very current. Certainly better than leaving things static.

No Italian or German refs.Many have already been caught in corportion cases, and FIFA officials are also involved.

Kelsey – have you noticed that your acronym is now KILL?

Polish refs who ONLY SPEAK POLISH.

That would sort ‘em out.

No I hadn’t RL

Anyway as I understand thee are more Poles in England than in Poland these days.

Almunia(remember him) was often quoted that he only spoke or swore at the players during a match in Spanish.

34. Mickeyk says:

Refs who gives a f..k about refs it’s boring .ps has any one heard the news Howard in the Halifax advert is leaving the Halifax and joining arsenal to replace denilson. Great signing arsene.

Mickeyk,
    no one forces you to read our blog and if that is all you have to say it might be better if you find a more appropriate blog for your earth shattering news.Goodbye.

36. Gooner in Exile says:

Morning all thanks for comments, Rocky I like the idea of foreign referees, if we are the best league in the world according to the PR why shouldn’t we have the best refs too? I’m all for that.

When Collina had to retire from Internationals and UEFA due to age he would have still qualified to ref in the Premier League.

Also there is too much fast track nonsense where young referees with little experience jump through the pro leagues with few games taken in all.

Also I’d be up for Mickys electric shock idea, plus mic the refs up but let us hear what is said and decisions explained, that also pick up player complaints and abuse.

One last thing do a quick google of Darren Deadman and referee reviews and you’ll see he is not popular at all.

37. goonermichael says:

Mickey
    Funny you should say that I’ve heard beckham wears a topee.

38. goonermichael says:

English refs should only ref in Lichtenstien This season more than any has seen a huge bias towards the mancs. Even taking into account the chav game and Caragher not going off. I wouldn’t be suprised to see vidic go off in the CL final.

39. goonermichael says:

toupee mickey my bad (as the kids say)

Denilson has ruled out shitty. They must be gutted :)

40. goonermichael says:

Oh no one’s here

GM,
    “Denilson has ruled out City”. Now that is very funny :-)

Here’s another idea. The Refs can issue on the spot fines. Too work, these need to be in proportion to their vulgar salaries, and wired through the stadium pa system in the style of the Darts “ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY”. So we could have “pathetic dive, ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY THOUSAND”. Oh how the crowd would titter!

Coat Get.

44. goonermichael says:

Oh no don’t titter.

45. goonermichael says:

It’s a little bit sow on here.

46. goonermichael says:

Might as well get my nanny goat as well.

47. Evonne says:

Rocky, Kelsey and Micky – drunk polish referees that cannot even speak polish :)

Total – I am afraid I am a bit high today, bad news for me :(

Red Arse – Micky is very funny, but nowhere near as funny as your polish :)

A titter ran through the crowd.

He was subsequently apprehended by stewards.

Interesting, GIE.

I always think the ref is biased against us.
    Haven’t we hit the woodwork the most, too?

50. TotalArsenal says:

The Referee

By Eileen Clemens Granfors

All he wanted was for the world to play fair,

The rules are clear if people would look.

Instead, cheaters prospered and left him back there.

They gained prominence, ignoring the Book.

He first tried to help when his parents would fight,

Offering a peacemaker’s role to their ire.

They looked right through him, a sad oversight,

Then divorce buried his heart in mire.

He grew up, he married, he vowed to change things,

Make a family perfect for the world to see.

He provided and nurtured, taught his household to sing,

At the park, he was a referee.

The parents in leagues, and the coaches there too,

Acknowledged his love of the game.

Yet, they on the sidelines would mock and stew,

Throwing epithets at him and his name.

The world is not fair, won’t play by the rules

He’s older and he sees that’s just fate.

Some people are kind, some people are cruel,

Standing tall, he smiles amid hate.

51. Mickeyk says:

We’ve hit the woodwork because we can’t bloody score.

52. Red Arse says:

Rocky,

“A titter ran thru’ the crowd” — “HE was apprehended”.

HE, Rocky, HE? I am getting worried about your memory for these things!! :-)

53. Red Arse says:

TA,

A very nice and topical poem.

I have always been fascinated by alternate or cross rhyming patterns, used to brilliant effect by masters such as Wordsworth.

The opening stanza of his “I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud,” has similar cross rhymes using the words; cloud-hills-crowd-daffodils-trees-breeze et seq.

Although, technically, I seem to remember my teacher describing that as a rhyming ABABCC, as it does not stay constant to alternate rhyming thru’ the poem. :-)

54. Red Arse says:

Evonne,

That might be because I Polish my shoes every morning, and I write polish like a Kiwi!

[In case you get Peaches to tell me off, that is a pun on Polish (Capital ‘P’ — People/Language) and shoe polish, (small ‘p’ or – lower case ‘p’). :-)

TA taught me that! :-)

55. Red Arse says:

I seem to have caught goonermichaelitis.

I’m off too.

56. Evonne says:

RA – I write it all in lower case coz I cannot be arsed. Plus Peaches won’t tell ME off, I am looking after her grandson today

57. TotalArsenal says:

Hi RA

I don’t think it is the best poem ever written (technically), but I love the content. I often wonder why people decide to become a referee. They seldom or never get complemented on a good performance, but get so easily castigated for the smallest mistake they make. It must take a certain personality to want to become a referee, and this poem describes wonderfully well the referee’s burning desire to improve the world, to do justice – and perhaps make up for ‘mistakes’ made in his personal lives – but also, to allow other people to enjoy the game. There is both warmth and depth in this poem.

58. goonermichael says:

RA
    You’ve totally lost me.

59. Red Arse says:

Hi GM, :-)

I was referring to your earlier comments when no one was around! :-)

‘Oh no one’s here’

‘It’s a little bit sow on here.’

‘Might as well get my nanny goat as well.’

I was going to bring my heifer when I saw that!!

Evonne, a ‘heifer’ is short for elephant; as in ‘heiferlump’. Micky will confirm! :-)

60. Red Arse says:

Gone again, now!

61. goonermichael says:

I meant with the poetry stuff RA. Tha only one I know is “If” which was read at my dad’s funeral. It was on an Arsenal site earlier this season and I was sobbing by the 6th line. Didn’t realise how much I mised my dad (even though he was an alcoholic knobhead) Anyway the only other poems I know are

A thousand hairy savages sitting down to lunch
    gobble gobble glup glup munch munch munch.

and

String is a very important thing
    Rope is thicker but string is quicker.

One is Jonh Lennon and one is Spike Milligan (I think).

Redders
    Well, my memory is definitely fuzzy, but even so I haven’t been aware of too many ladies who like to grab other ladies’ embonpoint in public places… so the titter in my 3.03 is definitely of the male persuasion.

63. Red Arse says:

GM,

I put Rudyard Kiplings ‘If’ on AA quite some weeks ago. A week later it was on Arseblog (?) beautifully done with some great Arsenal pictures accompanying the stanzas.

It has always been one of my top poems, and I was delighted that a little poetry has leaked out from this great site! :-)

What I meant about Wordsworth’s ‘Daffodils’ was this;

I wander’d lonely as a cloud (A)
    That floats on high o’er vales and hills,(B)
    When all at once I saw a crowd, (A)
    A host, of golden daffodils; (B)
    Beside the lake, beneath the trees, (C)
    Fluttering and dancing in the breeze. (C)

Continuous as the stars that shine (A)
    And twinkle on the Milky Way, (B)
    They stretch’d in never-ending line (A)
    Along the margin of a bay: (B)
    Ten thousand saw I at a glance, (C)
    Tossing their heads in sprightly dance. (C)

So, in each 6 line stanza, line 1 and 3; and line 2 and 4 rhyme. [Cloud and Crowd; Hills and Daffodils]

Then lines 5 and 6 rhyme with each other; [trees and breeze]. Hence, ABABCC.

This is repeated in the following stanzas.

GM, you are now an accredited poetry ace — that will 55p please! :-)

64. Red Arse says:

If you say so Rocky! :-)

That was one of Frankie Howerd’s favourites and I saw him camp that up at a Uni show many years ago.

But I am sure he will bow to your embonpoint! :-)

GM, I too loved Spike Milligoon’s nonsense poetry. Not so sure about John Lennon. :-)

65. goonermichael says:

Thanks
    I understand now. The Arseblog one got me sobbing. I thought it was well done too.

66. HCAA says:

Are there any real journalists anymore, who ask seering questions? And is there any other manager in the world with as many variable excuses as Wenger? Anything and everything that could possibly de-rail our quest for major honours has happened this season. Wrong weather, wrong ball-type, wrong pitch, wrong opposition at the wrong time, and a new one that we hadn’t accounted for, the World Cup. Of course! Why did we not realise that having van Persie AND Fabregas in the WC Final would have such a negative, damaging impact on our season! Pep Guardiola must have been cursing and screaming all sorts of obsceneties that after a whole season, so many of his players played almost every minute of Spain’s successful WC campaign! And yet there they are, La Liga champions and awaiting another CL Final. Did no journalist think of making the comparison between our two representatives and Barcelona’s eight? Is Alistair Campbell on our pay-roll, or does Wenger make it up as he goes along?

67. Red Arse says:

GM,

To cheer you up, this is one of those funny/clever pieces of poetry, that used to confuse me as a kid.

Spelling and Sounds:

Beware of ‘heard’, a dreadful word
    That looks like ‘beard’ and sounds like ”bird.

And ‘dead': it’s said like ‘bed’, not ‘bead';
    For goodness’ sake, don’t call it ‘deed’!

Watch out for ‘meat’ and ‘great’ and ‘threat’.
    (They rhyme with ‘suite’ and ‘straight’ and ‘debt’.)

A ‘moth’ is not a moth in ‘mother’,
    Nor ‘both’ in ‘bother’, or ‘broth’ in ‘brother’.

This can be a tongue twister if said aloud! :-)

68. Red Arse says:

HCAA,

Arsene has heard of your fame as his main castigator, and has written this cross rhyming poem for you, to show he is a brave man, and, by extraction a brave manager.

Arsene the Brave:

I have fought against the poodle with his gory, deadly paws;
    I have faced the fearsome kitten, wild and bony,
    And somehow I’ve evaded the enormous chomping jaws
    Of the frighteningly ferocious Shetland pony.

My triumph o’er the rabbit is now sung throughout the land,
    And men still speak in whispers of the day
    When, attacked by twelve mosquitoes, with my one unwounded hand,
    I killed nine of them and dove the rest away.

I have faced the housefly in his lair, I have stalked the ladybird
    And the caterpillar, grim and fierce and hairy;
    That trophy there is bumblebee, and this, my favourite rug,
    Has been fashioned from the hide of a canary.

I have dove into the ocean to do combat with a shrimp,
    I have dared the hen to come on out and fight;
    I have battled with the butterfly (that’s why I have this limp),
    And I slew a monstrous grubworm just last night.

But this evening I must sally forth to meet the savage moth,
    And if I don’t come back in time for tea,
    You shall know that I fell gallantly, as gallantly I fought
    So please be gentle when you speak of me.

I try to manage the great team
    I try with all my might,
    But try as I will, it does always seem
    HCAA thinks I’m just shite.

Redders
    That’s funny – I remember that line from Frankie Howerd too, and when the word ‘titter’ was mentioned earlier it (and he) immediately sprang to mind. He used to say it something like: “Did you know… yes, dear… did you know that earlier tonight a titter ran through the back row of the audience… [PAUSE] …he then ran through rows R, S and T before making off through the fire doors…”

HCAA
    A very valid point about the World Cup, but you do realise you’re interrupting Poetry Corner, don’t you?

Redders
    Love ‘Spelling and Sounds’ – have never seen that before.

71. Red Arse says:

Sorry about the poetry, Guys, :-)

I’ll sod off now. Anyway, blame it on TA, and if not …. it’s Micky’s fault!! :-)

One of my favourites – A Martian Sends a Postcard Home From Earth (by Craig Raine). It’s all about seeing everyday objects through an outsider’s eyes:

Caxtons are mechanical birds with many wings
    and some are treasured for their markings–

they cause the eyes to melt
    or the body to shriek without pain.

I have never seen one fly, but
    sometimes they perch on the hand.

Mist is when the sky is tired of flight
    and rests its soft machine on the ground:

then the world is dim and bookish
    like engravings under tissue paper.

Rain is when the earth is television.
    It has the properites of making colours darker.

Model T is a room with the lock inside —
    a key is turned to free the world

for movement, so quick there is a film
    to watch for anything missed.

But time is tied to the wrist
    or kept in a box, ticking with impatience.

In homes, a haunted apparatus sleeps,
    that snores when you pick it up.

If the ghost cries, they carry it
    to their lips and soothe it to sleep

with sounds. And yet, they wake it up
    deliberately, by tickling with a finger.

Only the young are allowed to suffer
    openly. Adults go to a punishment room

with water but nothing to eat.
    They lock the door and suffer the noises

alone. No one is exempt
    and everyone’s pain has a different smell.

At night, when all the colours die,
    they hide in pairs

and read about themselves —
    in colour, with their eyelids shut.

73. kelsey in lala land says:

.Every blog is talking about Denilson leaving but I haven’t seen one report that anyone is actually bidding or has bid for him

74. Irishgunner says:

Twitter rife with rumours saying we have signed Ricardo Alvarez http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23WHOokeyac&feature=player_detailpage

Interesting Irish
    Left-footed attacking MF according to Wiki. The new Messi? Or the new Carlos Vela?

76. TotalArsenal says:

Hi Irish, Ricardo Alvarez? He sounds like a poet! I bet you are hoping he is a number 7: a creative hub..

77. Irishgunner says:

RL – hopefully the former.

Fox News have confirmed it, the thing is they haven’t said is he going to Arsenal, London or Arsenal, Argentina….

78. TotalArsenal says:

RL @6.18, that is a beauty!

RA @ 6.03, you are mad: how quickly did you put that one together? HCAA should be honoured!!!

79. Irishgunner says:

TA – ha ha ha but a new number 7 means the end of Rosicky :(

Ah Irish, if looks were all it took…

81. Irishgunner says:

If only RL if only RL :)

Seriously Super Tom was an astounding player, WAS :(

Arseblog made the best comment on Denilson’s (alleged) quote about how he’s a winner and that’s why he wants to leave Arsenal:

“Perhaps there are many definitions of ‘winner’ but I would suggest that any player who is overtaken by a referee as he half-heartedly chases an opposition attack into his own half might be in danger of breaching the trades descriptions act there.”

You can’t blame Denilson for wanting to leave as he has become pretty unpopular with the the crowd and has slipped way down the MF pecking order. You would hope he would keep his counsel and not say anything negative about the club. His quotes were in the Sun so they’ve probably been manipulated in any case.

Either way, I shall wish him well. He can probably have an OK career at a mid-to-low level club in La Liga or Serie A.

Irish
    I agree.
    Even earlier this season he looked good. I actually wrote a post saying we should start him more often, but he seemed to tail off pretty quickly once we got to the dreaded month of November.

84. Irishgunner says:

Denilson has lost his spot to Wilshere and Ramsey is ahead of him in the pecking order as well, dude needs football.

I don’t think he’s a bad player but not suited to us or the EPL. Italy perhaps where the pace is slower.

85. Mickeyk says:

Please stop with the poetry I’m confused .i’ve not long come back from the hay festival and read some poetry and have decided that there is a life to live and can’t be f..ked about it .let’s hope doujrou is going as well.

86. Mickeyk says:

Who in there right mind would bid for denilson

87. Red Arse says:

MickeyK,

Why do yoy want Djourou to go the Hayfever festival?

He only did a couple of lines of poetry and left the rest to you.

My dearest darling trout;
    I wish you’d get them out

How did you get on?

88. goonermichael says:

If Djourou goes we’ll have to keep squddly diddly

89. Gooner in Exile says:

Poetry corner :D

Denilson saying he wants to leave because he is a winner strikes me as a total misquote, but unfortunately the press are still allowed to print it how they want as long as it was actually said.

Reminds me of films that used to put quotes from film critics like “EXPLOSIVE” on a billboard but the actual quote was more like:

“the director should be ashamed and should go to a quiet spot with a big bag of explosive and do the film watching public a favour”

Denilsons quote could have been:

“I have to leave Arsenal, I have fallen behind the other players, I am a winner and I don’t want to lose the battle for my career here and would be better off elsewhere”

90. Gooner in Exile says:

Hmmm I think Clara is a bot!

91. Irishgunner says:

I agree regarding Clara.

92. dandan says:

A guy is reading his paper when his wife walks up behind him and smacks him on the back of the head with a frying pan.
    He asks, “What was that for?”
    She says, “I found a piece of paper in your pocket with ‘Betty Sue’ written on it.”
    He says, “Jeez, honey, remember last week when I went to the track? ‘Betty Sue’ was the name of the horse I went there to bet on.” She shrugs and walks away. Three days later he’s reading his paper when she walks up behind him and smacks him on the back of the head again with the frying pan.
    He asks, “What was that for?”
    She answers, “Your horse called.”

93. Irishgunner says:

Dandan – Classic joke, a comedian called Brendan Grace uses it all the time.

My favourite comedian (after EE27 of course) is Michael McIntyre – what a funny, funny man.

94. dandan says:

The new comedians are as much a mystery to me Irish as Lady Gaga.

It seems the Queen has gone down rather well over there Irish, that surprised me. Didn’t think she would be abused but did not expect such a welcome.

Our good friend MikeyK
    Wished all our players away
    Denilson, Djourou
    Almunia too
    Is anyone left to play?

96. Irishgunner says:

She did indeed Dandan and she’s welcome back for a cup of tea anytime.

Despite all the moaning here before hand, it was policed well, they kept people at bay because they were just idiots trying to cause trouble but they couldn’t get near her.

The majority were very impressed by her speech, and those that met her said she was very nice. Philip seems a right laugh as well.

Suppose its the majority just saying we’ve had enough of looking back, we’ve enough worries in the here and now than to be looking for those potatoes back than ye robbed :lol:

The £7 billion bail-out from the UK to Ireland might have helped sweeten relations too…

98. Irishgunner says:

Until we can’t afford to give it back :lol:

Our country is a mess but sure got to keep on keeping on.

We’ve Obama next week, we’re so popular :lol:

99. dandan says:

Irish I had a flat in Hollywood, Belfast, right behind the Police station, and was a regular visitor all through the troubles, still I loved the place and many of the people have remained my friends.
    Used to sail out of Bangor a lot and you know I love fishing in the South of Ireland down on the Shannon

100. Irishgunner says:

Belfact I don’t know but the South I do, the river shannon is Limerick and Limerick is my home, not that I live there anymore though :( But only an hour away

Irish
    I was born in London but both parents are Dubliners – so I’m Irish by blood if not by nationality.

102. Mickeyk says:

I’m off to connamara in the west of ireland next month to get over the season we’ve just had.I hope there’s a reciption waiting when I get off the plane.

103. Irishgunner says:

Good stuff RockyL :)

I’m all Irish but have a lot of relations in England, some in London

104. Evonne says:

Irish – an hour away!!! It took us 15 hours to get to Mayo! My in-laws are Dubs, proper ginger Paddies :)

105. Irishgunner says:

Mickeyk – of course there will ha ha

106. Irishgunner says:

I’m going to Mayo Friday week for a gig, going to take me half the day to get there :roll:

107. 26may1989 says:

A late check in from me. I’ll leave the poetry to Red A and that culture vulture, mickeyk.

On Exile’s post, I’m not one for conspiracy theories etc, and most reffing errors I’m sure are innocent mistakes that anyone could make given how difficult it is to referee without replays etc. But I do think there’s something in Exile’s argument, that referees are mainly northern and that likely pushes them towards the “In my day it was a contact sport” end of the spectrum, regardless of what the rules actually say.

And when I look at my own pet hate, Stoke-on-Trent’s very own Phil Dowd, I see pretty convincing evidence to back that up.

Ok, not very scientific evidence but it’s good enough for me.

Re Denilson, he’s not as bad as the hysterical types make out: he keeps possession an completes passes as well as anyone, and he’s an honest lad, but he’s also a limited player and his defensive play is often inexcusably bad.

So I’m fine with his decision to move on, and as others have said, good luck to him in Italy or wherever he ends up.

But it’s both a shame and predictable that Denilson’s very dignified announcement that he’s going is met with “I’m delighted, it’s fantastic, fuck off now” from some. Here’s a player who has actually acknowledged what a lot of Arsenal fans have been saying about the end of season collapse and who hasn’t shrunk from acknowledging responsibility.

It’s also been good to see van Persie, Vermaelen and Sagna say similar things. I just wonder why we haven’t heard a peep from our bloody captain (even if he is going, he could at least do us the courtesy of acknowledging the errors).

Anyways, have a good night one and all.

108. Evonne says:

Irish – where, in Westport or Castlebar?

109. Mickeyk says:

Does anyone get the feeling that the arsenal players don’t even want to turn up at fulham .it’s half a liberty asking them to play on a Sunday they should get payed overtime and a free oyster card and be excempt from the congestion charge.I don’t know how they live on there wages no wonder they don’t stop moaning.

110. Irishgunner says:

Evonne – Castlebar

111. Mickeyk says:

Denilson going is fantastic I’m delighted now f..k off .excuse my language .

112. HCAA says:

Five minute Gunners, and those of fifty years,
    sprouting everywhere with all their blogging fears,
    “Mr Wenger, why are we losing? What is it these multi-millionaires are doing? Where is the heart, hunger and desire, and what has happened to our fire?”
    The glittering silver has become life-less grey,
    as we fall further and further away.
    A visionary from the ‘total-football’ school,
    his 4-4-2 made pundits drool, but just as Highbury reached a poignant end, we found we had no money to spend.
    The biggest test of his career,
    but battle-hardened, he felt no fear,
    we can’t shop at Harrod’s but there’s a Netto next door,
    the goods are cheap and the quality poor,
    and in defiance to prove his doubter’s wrong,
    we don’t need a ‘Messi’ because we’ve got Song!
    Supporters are divided, should he stay or go?
    Fifty per-cent say “YES!”, the other fifty “NO!”,
    banners still fly “In Arsene We Trust”,
    but is a brilliant accountant earning a dis-honest crust?

Michael Macintyre is a spud. :(

Loved the poetry. :)

114. Gooner in Exile says:

26 quite right on Denilson.

Interestingly Cesc has been on Twitter after the charity dinner last night.

“Just watched Spurs vs Arsenal 4-5 the season 04/05 on SS1. What a memories.”

“With the present and future of arsenal and british football. But, who is the best looking one?” (followed by a pic of Ramsey and Wilshere)

Jack also tweeted that the team must end the season with a win.

Other stories from last night both Sagna and Diaby gave £35k each to sponsor a Centrepoint Mental Health Officer plus RvP announced each member if first team squad was putting in £5k.

Best tweet from DJ Tayo who was there:

“Team member about NB52 – “he’s a dickhead, but he’ll be a successful dickhead somewhere. He’s really good.””

He also reckons AA23 told him he was stain with this tweet

“AA23 says he is staying. “arsene told me today”” :D

115. Carlito11 says:

Just read it all- have little time for blogging at the mo as gearing up for summer- peak.
    Have to take my hat off to Herbert Chapman’s Arsenal Army for a contentious but quality riposte on the poetry front! Can’t be another blog quite like this one- magic!

116. Evonne says:

Irish – it’d better be a good gig! Rather you than me girl! Did you hear how Castlebar was brought to a standstill a couple of years ago? Roundabouts were introduced and nobody knew how to use them :) It’s not a joke, honest

117. goonermichael says:

I donated a haircut at the charity dinner last night,

118. SharkeySureLives!!! says:

Morning all on a very sunny morning !!

Cracking post GiE. I love a post with a bit of a personal angle and a big dollop of nostalgia. But sadly, there was no black and white pic, a b&w pic would have been great.

Rasp, Peaches…more b&w white pics please !!!

GM,
    Did the winner know it was to be a Mohican?

Sharkey,
    Great news. You are alive.
    The AFC Wimbledon story is very romantic. Soppy like that I am.

121. Evonne says:

Sharkey – yeah, where the hell have you been

Right, off to get my hair cut. £7! GM, am I being ripped off?

123. Evonne says:

Ripped off??? The amount of hair on you!! Geez, some peeps are tight

Morning all,

Have we signed Ricky Alvarez or not?

Evonne,
    Tight?
    The size of the tip depends entirely on the speed in which the whole performance is done and dusted, which has taken the total into double figures! Its all down to the quality of the operator.
    Bye.

126. TotalArsenal says:

HCAA, that’s brilliant and very funny: ‘the glittering silver has become life-less grey, as we fall further and further away’. Although, I dont agree with the second part, I love the first part. A great way of venting your obvious disappointment in Wenger’s performances over the last few years.

127. goonermichael says:

I don’t know if anyone bought it Mickey. I didn’t go as I didn’t have a spare £800. :(

128. goonermichael says:

I love your poem HCAA but what is Netto?

129. Harry says:

Morning all….All well in the land of gooners this morning?

GIE, interesting read and good to note you do not hold grudges for too long, but as you I hate blantant cheating, it leaves a sour taste……And although I am sure that no refs in the PL cheat, there are some very strange decisions……

Rocky that quote from arseblog was pure genius….

I am still laughing inside now from reading denilsons quotes, his level in the last two years has fell below blue sq premier…..

I always remember my favourite match of his against spurs in the CC semi we drew first leg 2-2 and won the 2nd 3-1 after extra time, what a night, at the time was the best atmosphere the new ground had felt, my Motm that night was Denilson, he was everywhere, throwing tackles in and chasing and harassing every player…..High Hopes……

Anyway things to do today, Reece is playing football on the hallowed turf tonight and then camping there overnight, jealous? of course I am, but chuffed for my little one, he is so excited…..I have to pick him up from the stadium at 7 in the morning!!!

There’s a New Post

131. Mafia 2 Trainer…

[...]Time to break up the Northern Mafia « Arsenal Arsenal[...]…

132. Goin’ All Veggies,All About Golf,Anger Managemen…

[...]Time to break up the Northern Mafia « Arsenal Arsenal[...]…