How many Spurs players would get in Arsenal’s First X1?

Sorry all, Rasp and I are really busy today, we haven’t been offered a match report but BigRaddy wrote this before he went away so it would be churlish not to use it for discussion today following last night’s thrilling 3-3 at the lane.

We had some fun recently with a post discussing how many Man Utd players would fit into our team playing in the same formation as Mr Wenger employs.

Today I will do the same with Tottenham Hotspur :-

Szczesny v Gomez.

We missed our young Pole during his injury, his influence over the defence in such a short time is profound. He bosses the area in a way we have missed since Mad Jens and Seamo. Gomez is flaky, there is no other word for him. He can be excellent – a fine shot stopper and dominates at set pieces but he is prone to regular lapses of judgement. Given that our lad has so far only made one glaring error (and I blame Koscielny for that), it’s the Pole in Goal.

Sagna v Corluka.

Sagna has returned to the reliability he showed a couple of seasons ago and IMO is the best RB in the country. Corluka is a fine player, has good ball skills, a decent engine and can cover at CB, but he is not as good as Sagna.

Clichy v Assou Ekotto

Gael has his critics but remains an excellent full back. Ekotto has a loyal fanbase amongst Spurs fans and has been very good whenever I have seen him. Clichy is the better attacking player and apart from his weekly lapses in concentration is the better tackler.

Centre Backs

It is hard to establish just who are Spurs first choice CB’s. Woodgate and King are fine defenders, in fact The Master (TH14) has said that King is the best defender he played against. But they are permanently injured. This leaves Gallas, Dawson and Kaboul and for the sake of discussion I will drop Kaboul.

Is Gallas as good as Djourou? In his prime certainly, but one must ask why Mr Wenger chose to sell him to our local rivals; obviously because he believes he has better replacements, and a fit JD is a wonderful CB.

Dawson v Koscielny is not so clearly defined. IMO Dawson is the best English CB, I would have liked to see him in an Arsenal shirt, but Kos has the makings of a great player and an Arsenal legend. In his first season he has made silly mistakes but which player hasn’t? Koscielny gets the shirt because he is  better at passing and driving forward the team.

Midfield.

Again it is difficult to decide upon Spurs first choice midfield. Like us they have a glut of quality players but unlike us they have no set go to 4  players. I will choose Modric, Huddlestone, Van de Vaart and Bale. Probably more attacking than Harry would choose as he often plays 2 DM’s (he has Palacios, Huddlestone, Krancjar, Jenas, Pienaar and Sandro to choose from!)

Song v Huddlestone

Easy choice really. Song is amongst the finest young DM’s in world football. He has improved so rapidly over the past 2 years that we noticeably miss him when he is injured. He has a fantastic first touch, good engine, is a decent tackler and is good aerially. Song’s main fault is that he can get too adventurous and in trying to get back to defend makes rash tackles – he has picked up numerous yellow cards this season without making one really dirty tackle. Huddlestone, according to my Spurs mad nephew, is an integral part of both Spurs and England’s future. He too has made huge strides in his career; capable of playing an accurate and intuitive long pass and assisting defensively, he is one to watch – but he is just not as good as Song, and nor are any of Spurs other DM’s

Fabregas v Modric.

We all know the answer to this! Cesc is a genius; the best creative MF in the PL and a World Cup winner. Modric has had a fantastic season and it would be no exaggeration to say that I am sure Mr Wenger would have liked to sign him; phenomenal energy, a perceptive passer, excellent ball control and a player who knows no fear. But sadly not in Fab’s league.

Wilshere v Van der Vaart.

When playing this parlour game there are inevitably clashes that don’t really gel, and this is one of them. VdV doesn’t play the same game as JW. However, if one had to choose a player for our team I would certainly take the reliability of Wilshere. He turns up every game and gives his all whereas VdV goes missing which I guess is why Real sold him so cheaply.

Nasri v Bale.

Both fine players. Both at the start of their careers. Both up for Player of the Year. They have different skill sets which work very well for their teams. Bale could add what we lack on the left of our attack – pace, but Nasri is a better ball player and can beat a player by looking at him. Nasri scores more goals. Bale is the better defender.  I was going to give the shirt to the least ugly player but they are equal in this area as well. I will take a rain-check ….

Walcott v Lennon

Lennon – ugly, no final ball, phenomenal pace. Theo . good looking, developing tactical awareness, even faster. Capello prefers Theo, so do I.

RvP v Defoe/Crouch/Pav.

Robin is better than all of them. True, Crouch is better in the air. Other than that the Dutchman has it all and would prove it if he could stay fit for a season.

Manager:

Wenger v Redknapp.

Credit where credit is due. Harry has done a wonderful job at Spurs. Taking a team that was threatened with relegation to the Champions League in such a short space of time is a great achievement. Had it not been for economic reasons Redknapp would be England Manager and I am sure that if wants it  he will be after the Euro’s. But check out the Trophy Cabinet. Harry –  1 x FA Cup. Mr Wenger  – 4 x FAC. 3 xPL . French League and Cup, Japanese League and Cup.   Mr Wenger OBE voted World Manager of the Decade.  Mr. Redknapp  – Zip.

So the team looks like this:

Szczesny

Sagna   Djourou  Koscielny  Clichy

Song   Fabregas  Wilshere   Nasri

Walcott  Van Persie

Managed by Mr Arsene Wenger OBE

Why no Bale? Because he is so prone to injury, and he is a throwback.

Why no Spurs players?  Check out the table since 94/5

And this site is called Arsenal Arsenal not Dear Mr. Levy ……

117 Responses to How many Spurs players would get in Arsenal’s First X1?

1. Mike says:

We could, of course, do with have a referee on our side just for once!

2. Jordan G says:

Im a gooner and this is the most ridiculous thing ive seen

it should be WENGER

Szczesny
    sagna djourou vermalaen clichy
    song sandro
    modric cesc van der vaart
    rvp

Thanks Jordan,

An opinion is never ridiculous, only a reaction such as yours.

4. alexflex says:

As an Arsenal fan, this was kind of pointless, maybe intended to cheer us up. For me it would be:

Szczcz

Sagna Dawson Vermaelen A-Ekkoto

Wilshere

Fabregas v Der Vaart/Modric

Walcott RvP Bale/Nasri

5. Morning all, thanks for the post Radders and hope you’re having a great time in your Italian retreat(you lucky so and so)
    Trying to be objective, and I suspect Radders was being a little tongue in cheek with his final selection, I would say an on-form Defoe would be a poacher that we lack however I doubt Robin could play that well off him, Robin would need a bigger target man.
    Additionally an on form Woodgate is a class defender and Dawson too would be a good back up to our first choice of Vermaelen and Djorou.
    As an aside it is a bit depressing that we have now slipped to third, and the uncomfortable truth is that we were leading 3-1 and yet again we ending up drawing.
    One hopes that the constant dropping of leads will and the reasons thereof will be addressed urgently by Wenger, both in the last 5 games and during the summer.

6. JonJon says:

the answer is not that many

so why cant we beat them?????

morning chary,

I really shouldn’t be spending time on here this morning. The post is light hearted and is actually quite complimentary to the spud players – unfortunately they are such a neandertyhal lot that I’ve had to bin over 20 abusive comments.

The Spud supporters I work with could not even bring themselves to admit that last night was a brilliant game of football between two very good sides. They are behaving like a draw at home was a victory? – surely that implies that they realise they are not quite up to our standard as the league positions prove.

8. True Raspers, for them a home draw agains tus is seen as a win, till they start treatingf it as two points dropped, like we do, they can’t be seen as being on the same level.

Although we seem to have had a bad seasonb against the Spuds we have an even record in the 3 games we played them this season, 1 win, 1 loss and 1 draw.

Is this the legendary “Shift in the footballing powerbase in North London” we’ve been told about since the glory glory days of Christian Gross and Jacques Santini ?

9. Carlito11 says:

Loved the conclusion BR! However, I think on last night’s performance we should probably look to a different team for the defensive core of the team and we’ll struggle with to get all the excellent attackers in.
    Taking off my “GlArses” (TM RockyLives) for a minute… Modric and VanDerVaart would both merit inclusion in our team, especially VdV who must make Wenger facepalm that he missed out on signing him. But at whose expense would they get in? To see those two play with Nasri, Fabregas with Walcott and RvP ahead of them would be a sight but there would be no height at all…

10. Carlito11 says:

Are comments only available to people with wordpress accounts?

peaches is in the house and moderation is now on.

Apologies to any gooners who get stuck waiting to be allowed on ……………

12. Nice to see you Peachy. ;)

13. Lots of scummers binned I see, thanks chary for working behind the scenes.

It was a draw, they should get over it shouldn’t they? As per normal we conspired to snatch a draw from the mouth of victory. Listening to ‘arry you’d be forgiven for thinking that they played much better than us.

Both teams played very well and the first half was certainly the best we’ve played for months.

14. I think chesney felt bad about injuring Bale, his wink was all bravado. Afterwards he had a very uneasy few minutes and lost concentration, the scummers second goal came in those minutes.

15. If we hadn’t drawn the previous four games I’d have definitely been happy with a draw last night.

Still hopefully they won’t get into the Champs Lge again and we can be cheerful about that.

16. To be fair I think Raspers got most of them Peachy, quite amusing to read there vitriol and bile; a truly bitter species of sub humanoid they are.

Bit surprised Chesney was regretful about injuring monkey man, surely injury to primates are acceptable ?

17. Carlito11 says:

That’s an interesting observation Peaches and I one I’d probably agree with. Overall, a draw was the right result but the Tinies had the better of the second half, in my opinion aided by unnecessary substitutions on our side. Two teams on the attack with verve and imagination. Quite a game!

18. Carlito, a great game for the neutral no doubt, bit I admit to feeling a tad frustrated at the result.

19. Carlito11 says:

Chary, I also felt the hurt but only because we’d got ourselves in the position where we HAD to win last night. My pain is actually in the last 3 home games being drawn, the home loss against Sp*rs and the away draw at Newcastle. Last night was a fair result and the boys played some really fine stuff.

20. Carlito – I’m with you on that, the recent home draws have caused me much more upset that last night’s or maybe I’m hardened to it now – sad place to be really :(

21. Yeah Carlito, in isolation we shouldn’t feel too bad about an away draw against our local rivals playing in their one of two cup finals per season, but in the context of numerous capitulations during this season it hurt.

22. All you scummers that are trying to leave comments that the writer is biased – funny that, he’s a gooner and this is an Arsenal site :roll:

23. The Spuds don’t understand an Arsenal blog is biased – we don’t call them the residents of the Middlesex swamplands for nothing, LOL !

24. 26may1989 says:

Last night was excellent in terms of the game, and had our players shown that sort of application in previous weeks, we might be in a better position today. But they didn’t and the chances of winning the league are now slim.

As for Raddy’s line-up, very funny of course, but partly in light of last night, I think I’d go for:

Szczesny

Sagna, Gallas, Dawson, Assou-Ekotto

Song, Wilshere

van der Vaart, Fabregas, Nasri

van Persie

But excluding Modric, Bale, Defoe, Vermaelen, Walcott and Lennon is difficult.

One very minor point: Arsenal in red socks looks much better than white socks!

And any reason why I’ve had to log in to leave a comment? Is that the new WordPress regime?

Yesterday’s result is beginning to feel more like a victory to me going by the reaction from totdumb fans. The potential damage to their aspirations is greater than to ours.

Hi 26m,

Peaches and I were indisposed this morning and the flood of abuse from the tinytotts needed drastic action, everything should be back to normal now.

27. 26may1989 says:

No worries Rasp, all understood.

28. Carlito11 says:

26M- where’s your red avatar gone?

29. 26may1989 says:

No idea Carlito, I’m no longer in control. One day I might actually sort out a proper avatar…….

30. Carlito11 says:

Shubham, that two-line comment has nothing to do with the blog posting and everything to do with advertising your own blog. Something I am increasingly unlikely to read given your hit and run advertising and lack of anything interesting to say here. Stop it!

31. Carlito11 says:

Just took a look at Shubham’s blog- it’s actually a pre-match (out of date) blog! What a tool…

32. I have to admit, yesterday was a bad day for another reason, just before my favourite band’s farewell tour one of the guitarists has quit, namely K K Downing from Judas Priest.
    A note to the “Here today, gone tomorrow” pop bands of the day – K K has left after a mere 42 years of service. The fly-be-night !

I really like the red socks, too, 26. Even prefer the red and white hoops to plain white.

The fact that the spuds celebrate dropping two points at home just highlights their small club mentality. :)

34. Carlito11 says:

Rasp- TommyStout just tweeted me to say he can’t comment. Just wanted to let you know some people are still excluded from comments if you didn’t know already…

35. goonermichael says:

What a great game.

36. tommy – if you’re watching, I’ve turned the button off that meant that comments had to be through wordpress so can you try again.

37. goonermichael says:

I think VDV, Modric and essou ekotto are very good players.

38. goonermichael says:

I can only imagine some of the abuse you must of filtered.

39. tommystout says:

thats cracked it Peaches.
    now wheres the spuds!!!

40. Sorry anyone who can’t get on, we checked a button this morning that meant that only people who were signed in through wordpress could put a comment – it’s now unchecked but BigRaddy is the master of this post and sometimes wordpress only lets the master of the post undo things ……. so we may be stuffed for today :(

Great tongue-in-cheek post from Raddy.

Last night was a disappointment for us, but a body blow for the Spuds.

We knew that the Title was a real long shot, and what’s important is finishing in the top three for an automatic qualifying place for the CL. A point away in the NLD, with our run-in, is a perfectly decent return.

The Spuds, however, have an incredibly difficult run-in and three points AT HOME were absolutely vital to their CL ambitions.

I said at the start of the season that this would be their one and only year – ever- in the CL and I am more convinced of that now than ever.

Always in our shadow.

42. Well said Rocky – I don’t understand why they’re so chuffed at getting a point :lol:

tommy – I think they all got mashed this morning I’m afraid :P

43. Carlito11 says:

RL- I might be wrong, but I think only the top2 automatically qualify for the CL next season. 3rd and 4th need to play qualifiers…

gm
    I’ve had a little peep at some of the Spud comments that were binned.

Absolutely hilarious. And notable, primarily, for the complete lack of any sense of humour.

And also for the usual spite and bitterness.

Half of them are celebrating a home draw as if it were a win; the other half are smarting at the fact that we have probably ensured that they’ll be back in the Europa Saddoes League again next year.

Carlito
    I didn’t realise that – have they changed the rules for next year?

46. Hi Carlito – just looked it up on Wiki and it’s still only the 4th placed team that has to play a pre-qualifying round, like the Spuds did against young buys. They made a good start in that round didn’t they ?

Still they finished their one and only Champions Leauge campaign as they started – being totally humiliated.

47. Wonderman says:

Wonderfully entertaining post BR . The spuds can be as vitriolic and caustic as they want, the facts remain

1. We have scored 66 goals they have scored 47
    2. We have conceded 34 aganst their 39
    3. We are 3rd they are 5th in the table.

Whilst I have to respect their ability to come back from deficits (and they have done that several times this season).I can’t see that they warrant comparison. They haven’t challenged for the title in decades, and have got into the champions league once !!!!
    Last night was a thrilling game and it was comforting to see Walcott score from the position I think he will excel most in centrally

48. Rocky – I had a look at the Spud outbursts too; I don’t know what’s funnier, the puerility of their thought(if any) processes or the idea that they’re shaking impotently with rage that their garbage comments haven’t seen the light of day.

49. Red Arse says:

Now look here Peacher and you Rasper, I know I am an abusive trouble maker but keeping me away all morning is cruel and unconstitutional. :-(

I totally agree with Raddy’s suggested team chosen from the two clubs. :-)

Redders :)

51. Gooner in Exile says:

Lovely post Raddy.

As moronic as Spuds are they half make a decent atmosphere in that craphole.

If I was being honest and after seeing a stat Carlito retweeted we could have done with Crouch. In the second half only 2 of 26 of Chesneys kick into Spuds half were won by Arsenal.

52. Red Arse says:

CharyB,

Are you sure it’s only the 4th placed team who has to pre-qualify? Not that I am doubting Wiki, of course.

I heard that it is the 3rd and 4th placed who both have to do so, and the source was that esteemed and authoritative voice of all knowledge ….. TalkSport! :-)

53. I’m only going by Wiki, RedA – probably not much more reputable than Talkspite I suppose.

54. Red Arse says:

CharyB,

I think it was a certain Mr Brazil taking the piddle out of Arsenal, (or Arzzenal as he says) and therefore my money is on Wiki.

55. Red Arse says:

Hi Rocky, :-)

GIE, as a knowledgeable tactician, can you explain why Clichy, in particular, but others too, often receive the ball in space but rather than pass or kick it upfield, elect to pass it back to the keeper who with the oppo forwards on top of him, wallops the ball upfield to the oppo defence, with the inevitable result that you indicated above?

That’s a long sentence …….. but the sh*ts who keep chanting disgusting personal abuse at AW deserve longer! (Segueing humour with something that affronts civilised human behaviour).

Redders
    Top point about the vile chanting.
    Why doesn’t AW simply get some footage of a bunch of the morons chanting that stuff and sue them all for defamation? When they all end up paying him tens of thousands of pounds each (which he will no doubt donate to charity) it will soon put a stop to others doing it in the future, at Shite Fart Lane, Old Toilet and elsewhere.

57. RedA, the fat, balding, ex-spuddo jocko tosser never lets the facts get in the way of having a go at The Arsenal.

58. Red Arse says:

Rocky,

I do not understand why the cops don’t look at the CCTV that is no doubt available. Under English/European Law I’m sure that sort of vile chanting makes both the individual and the club jointly and severally liable. Where’s 26 when you need him? :-)

CharyB,

I think we should have someone like you on a footie show for balance, and with your dexterity in the use of apposite adjectives the biased plonkers might think twice before having a go! :-)

59. Carlito11 says:

re next season qualification- I think that making both 3rd and 4th placed teams play qualifiers is part of Platini’s plan to make UEFA more “democratic” ie less dominated by PL teams…

60. Yeah, I could do quite a rant RedA – as a fair counterbalance to the hateful anti Arsenal venom Talkshite spout routinely.

Carlito, that’s interesting I wonder if that extends to the other countries who get 4 places, namely Spain & Italy.
    Somehow I think not.

61. Carlito11 says:

Chary,
    I must do- they have the same system as us at the moment- this season both of their 4th placed teams did not qualify for the group stages if I remember rightly. UEFA likes this and wants it to happen more. IMO it’ll just make the group stages even more boring as we’ll face champions from Latvia and Slovakia more often. I guess there is also more potential for “giant killing” too though

62. So are we sure this IS the regime for 2011-12 Carlito, or just a wish list from everyone’s favourite French Wenger-hater ?
    I don’t see how the Eye-ties still get 4 qualifiers as their league is pretty pants nowadays, average attendances less than those of the Championship.
    I guess all the Eye ties mamma’s boys would rather be posing on their lambrettas than watching footie anymore.
    I’d rather give the Bundesliga another space as they run thier league in the right way.

Carlito, Chary,

I can only find references to CL 2011/12 qualification that say that countries with coeff of 1-3 (England, Spain and Italy) get 4 teams, 3 of which get automatic passage to CL group stage. Where have you heard otherwise?

64. Carlito11 says:

Chary, it’s all done on the “co-efficient”. With Inter winning it last year they’ll have a good rating next year too. As for the attendances… they have a hooligan problem like we did in the 80s. Old shoddy stadia with a strong threat of violence (at least every time I’ve been) so it’s unsurprising that ordinary fans, women and children don’t go to the grounds. Bundesliga will have an improving co-efficient with Shalke in the semis- even better if they beat the Manks! Could be that they get another place…

65. Carlito11 says:

Just seen the co-efficients for Germany and Italy- Germany only marginally behind so they may well get a fourth spot as early as next season

66. Carlito11 says:

Chas- I’ve been huntin on the http://www.uefa.com website but can’t find the info. I was told by two separate and knowledgeable people over the past week. But it could be they’re wrong…

67. So Chas/Carlito – as the co efficient haven’t been fully determined, i.e. till the 2010-11 Champions League is over, presumably that means we aren’t sure YET how many of the Premier League teams get automatic entry into the Group stages?

Chary/Carlito, it sounds as though the coefficients calculated for 2010/11 only affect the 2012/13 competition, not the 2011/12 comp.

69. Hi all

I’m nagging for volunteers ………. with Raddy away we need a pre-match for Bolton and we need something for tomorrow and Saturday. If anyone has a rant for tomorrow that would be good and maybe something a bit fun for Saturday.

70. Hi Peachy,
    I could do the pre match for Bolton, but I’d have to do it tonight(so it may not be very up to date by Saturday) as I’m away for 4 days as of tomorrow morning, actually down to MDi89’s neck of the woods for a mini holiday with the little Charys and, sadly, the ball ‘n chain.

71. Carlito11 says:

Ours is miles ahead of Italy/ Germany- top 3 leagues get 4 teams. So we’ll definitely get 4 teams but not clear from anything I can find if it remains 1 team in the final qualifying round or 2 as I have it by word of mouth

72. Carlito11 says:

Peaches, I’m off to Italy tonight for Easter- the Mother in Law has had a serious operation and I need to out there to support. Afraid I won’t be able to do a post or in fact be on the blog at all until next Tuesday :-(

73. Carlito11 says:

Chas are you looking at the wikipedia page? I’m not sure it’s 100%- surprisingly for wikipedia ;-)

74. chary – that would be fantastic if you’ve got time to write the Bolton pre-match, thank you xx

Carlito – you’re off the hook then, hope you enjoy your weekend xx

75. Ok Peachy, I’ll do it tonight rather than trying to do it amidst the last minute packing. It’d be cool if MDi89 was around, we could catch up for a pint, but I’ve probably got his location all wrong and I’ll probably be 50+ miles away.

I was using this one as well Carlito, but it’s probably only taken from Wiki anyway!

Yesterday was my birthday, shared with a certain A.Hitler. :(

I was hoping for a birthday present from the boys.
    Still I was at Highbury to witness this in 1992 also on my birthday. :)

78. Carlito11 says:

Chas- one of my favs that! Cheers :-)

79. Red Arse says:

Anyone seen the following resume?

— Feyenoord were heading towards the unthinkable, the unimaginable – one of the big three in Holland could realistically be playing in the second tier.

Something needed to be done, they needed a spark, and they just got that, in the shape of Ryo Miyaichi.
    On loan from Arsenal, the predacious talent from Japan debuted against Heracles and became an instant hero. His display of ‘no fear’ began to rub on the rest of his team-mates and began to sway the fans into a more positive outlook.

They were in ecstacy chanting “Ryo!, Ryo!, Ryo!”. He gave the team what they needed, galvanised the side. Now they could ward off relegation and maybe even mount a challenge for Europe. —

Quite a glowing accolade for young Myaichi! :-)

Peaches
    Have put a short post in drafts.

81. Barca Fan says:

Do a comparison with Barca or even Chelsea. Would love to read it. (No hate)
    Also, if you say i think it was a Cb that is injured and you don’t choose him. Why choose Rvp? He is good but on your theory, Defoe is a better striker.
    Also i think huddlestone is better than Song. Tackles more cleanly and has a better shot. Good mid with a nice shot.

82. Mickeyk says:

Succsess again for are great club with a top four finish.we was unlucky not to come second.hopefully with are fine strong squad we will finish in the top four again next season if tottenham don’t spend big and Liverpool .happy days.more of the same next season mr wenger

83. 26may1989 says:

So you’re back then Barca Fan (from Walthamstow or Erith I imagine, certainly not Catalunya).

If the exercise was done with Barca, the only Arsenal players I would see making the XI would be Szczesny (just don’t rate Valdes) and maybe Wilshere instead of Busquets.

Feel better??!

But Chelsea is a different story. Terry, Luiz, Cole and Drogba would make it in, but for me the rest would be Arsenal.

Fernando Torres walks into a bar and says, “I’ll have a couple of shots please.”…….The barman says, “That’s not like you.” ;)

Evening all,
    Love the post BR,
    Very amusing.
    Rasp,
    Deepest sympathies to you having to work with people with thick necks and unusually long arms.
    Chary,
    Would love to meet. I have a full on w/e with sister and family coming down from London tomorrow, so cannot travel far from base. Where will you be? Do get my email address from Peaches or Rasp.

If last nights’ game goes some way to stopping the Scuzzers (I think that word works very well) from getting into the CL, then I see it as a resounding victory.

87. goonermichael says:

My wife shares Hitlers birthday too.

88. Harry says:

Evening All, couldnt post earlier from my work PC….

If I was picking an Arsenal/SPuds Team: Of all Squad players if all fit…..The team would be…..

Chez

Sagna Vermaelen Woodgate Bale

Song Fabregas

VdV Modric Nasri

RVP

Bench: Walcott, Wilshere, Arshavin, Sandro, Defoe, Bassong and Fabianski…..

89. Harry says:

@ Barca Fan, mate do you seriously watch football? Huddlestone is a very poor player, yes he has a good shot, thats it, he struggles in games, his fitness is poor, has no stamina, has no tactical awareness, turns up blind alleys, picks poor passes and cannot tackle for toffee…..I would find it hard to drop denilson for him……

90. 26may1989 says:

All true Harry, but apart from poor fitness, poor passing, poor tackling, and poor decision making, you have to admit, Tom Huddlestone is a very fine player….. Should be playing for Barça really.

Harry,
    Ah ha, Mr Woodgate. Injuries aside, I think he is the outstanding footballing centre half. There was a time during the Cygan era, when I really thought we missed a trick by not signing Southgate, and then a couple of years later Woodgate. I guess the injuries would have proved me wrong though.

92. Harry says:

Barcarsenal…..XI

Chez

Sagna Vermaelen Puyol Alves

Xavi Fabregas iniesta

RVP Messi

Villa

Bench: Nasri, Walcott, Wilshere, Pedro, Busquets, Arshavin, Valdes…..

26 :-)
    That just about covers it!

Nite all.
    Chary, Have left a message on your mobile number which I had from earlier in the season.

95. Harry says:

Mdi89, agreed we missed a trick not signing Woodgate (injuries aside), also resigning Anelka, Vieira, not signing Alonso, Vdv, Kompany all players we could have had……

26m89, Lol, Huddlestone for Barca, he’ll be wearing an england shirt next….lol…..how did that happen…?

Harry,
    Out of all of those, Alonso was the big miss I think.
    Really off. Children stuff.

97. 26may1989 says:

Much as I love him, I can’t say I’d have wanted Vieira back as a player. As a coach maybe but not as a player. And with a player like Woodgate (or Ledley King), can you really ignore the injuries? They make van Persie look the model of solidity.

As Micky says, Alonso is the one in Harry’s list I would have loved to have got. Kompany would have fortified us where it matters too.

98. If you’re around MDi89 I’ve emailed you back.

Peachy, I’ve put my post in drafts but you can change the title if you want as I didn’t have a particularly good one.

I may not be around till next Tuesday, so here’s to 3 points on Sunday.

Come on you red and whites !

99. Johnny says:

Hi guys, love the blog and the game last night, its a real wonder about those dastardly Spuds, its almost like they think its some kind of territorial dispute, and in fact the points dropped don’t matter as much as simply making sure they don’t lose to an organisation they see as culturally lacking as a result of recent consistent success. Its a matter of opinion of course, however, one fascinating aspect cannot be denied, and that is that Arsenal support features a large majority of intelligent, well adjusted individuals, drawn to the club by the success and flair of the football they play under Wenger, whereas there cant be many Spuds who’ve chosen, as a result of success and good football, to support THFC. Hence forth the conclusion can only be that the vast majority of spuds are of that peculiar global breed of maniacs born into a football supporting tradition, no more able to choose a team than a muslim or catholic, born and raised of that faith, is able to pick an alternative belief, or certainly unable to pick one that can come anywhere near inciting the same depth of passion in reaction to a slight on their culture. This would, I suggest, certainly explain the craziness of Spuds supporters in celebrating a draw next to the more clinical and measured reaction of the typical Arsenal fan, many of whom are of course, and perhaps, only just beginning the often painful journey of a lifetime following a side that disappoints on a regular basis. It will be a test of those supporters, if, in the next decade, Arsenal do not achieve at the highest level, to stay the course, having consciously chosen their faith as adults during the glory years. In fact should Arsenal fail in their pursuit of the cream of European footballing clubs, consistently, from here on in, perhaps only those truly brainwashed and fanatical individuals will remain, to celebrate wildly the relief of having not been humiliated by one’s foe and having stood toe to toe and lived to tell the tale. I bid you good night my cousins, warm regards, Johnny.

100. Gooner in Exile says:

Morning all, I’m now in the lovely village of Old Sodbury with friends so won’t be around much until Bolton.

Just saw RA’s question about backwards passing.

Watching game on Wednesday I noticed a couple of times Clichy receive the ball and end up passing back. When it happened he was pressed by two players and no one in midfield was offering a short simple option when he had possession this meant he could play hopeful or he could retain possession and pass back.

One thing Spurs (and Ekoto) did well was play long diagonal ball when in a similar situation, if they didn’t win it the ball was deep in our half. I think one of our shortcomings can be the ability to hit a long pass to relieve pressure, we value possession higher.

Morning all,

New post……..

102. Greg says:

What a pointless article. Why didn’t you just type a sentence which said, “I love Arsenal and therefore I am blind to any rational discussion of the merits of any other players particularly if they play for that lot down the road.”
    A waste of space and effort.

103. Graham says:

Typical Arsenal w….r comments. What have you won lately? How many current players played in 94/5? Did you see the game yesterday? To suggest that NO spurs players would consistantly make the Arse side is just plain stupid.Modric,Bale and VdV would play regularly.
    Just incase your asking,i live in Oz and follow West Ham !And by the way,your manager looks to be the laughing stock of the Premier League ??

104. Spurcito says:

jewboy here…

mine would be

Gomes

Sagna Gallas Djourou BAE

Nasri Modric Fabregas Bale

VDV

RVP

for what its worth I agree that Song is better than Thud and that Djourou is a great centre back

I havent seen enough of your belgian lad to put him in there.

pleased to see a gooner had BAE over Clichy, pretty obvious I think

oh and im sure wiltshere will be in there very soon (over fab not modric though ;) )

105. Ben says:

Koscielny over Dawson proves you are thick as shit!

106. Shannon says:

As a Spurs supporter I can only say, great article! I started laughing in the middle somewhere when I realised how it was going to turn out.

107. Spursforlife says:

Quite a comical article really, we are having a real good laugh at it on the Tottenham forums. You never beat us at WHL, we beat you at the qasi, says it all really…

108. LukeyD says:

wow this guy must be a biased Arsenal fan. Some of his logic about the ability of players is so misguided that you wonder if he has seen them play. You are assuming that these player’s will get better, a statement so familiar of Arsenal over the last 6 years.

In reality only a small hand fall out of the so called “up and coming” players improve drastically throughout their career. And let’s face it, if they do improve it’s good bye Arsenal. I can hear fabregas being called back to the mother ship as i type.

Szczesny v Gomez? clearly Gomez has his problem’s but Szcesny is just as bad, and in his short time in football has developed a clamity reputation which has been described as a goal keeping crisis.

Does Gomez and Tottenham bare the same crisis, hell no because Gomez has experience a proven track record and was one of the best keepers in the PL last year. He will have his mistakes occasionally, but he is capable of things only his Arsenal counter part can only dream about.

Bale is better the Nasri. That’s why he won the PFA award because unlike you people saw sense.

VDV is better then Wilkshire. Wilkshire is a overrated hype player, VDV has a proven track record and been the best player to enter the premiship this season.

Lennon is better then Walcott any day of the week. Was it not last season people was begging him to play two half decent games to get in the England Squad.

Lennon in the other hand, you know what you will get a nippy right winger which will scare the living hell out of right backs game after game.

Dawson is better then that so called promising poll. Another heroic kid who is expected to do such great things, but does so little.

To any Spurs fans planning on commenting…
    The author is a diehard Gooner but the article is very tongue in cheeck. If you don’t get the joke, well, try reading it again.
    Look at the comment at 1.48 from your fellow supporter Shannon…

For what it’s worth, I’d have BAE, Dawson and Modric in our team in a heartbeat.

110. Stoney28 says:

My oh my. I have never read such bullshit ever before. Clichy over Benny? You’ve gotta be kidding! The BeanPole over Gomes…? Wilshere over VDV? nasri over Bale? Our CB’s Are superiour to your lot 7 days a week. Cesc is overrated….so is the tactical ” genious” Wenger. I’d take Sagna and RVP in our 11, and the rest can go to Ipswich reserves…

111. vinny says:

biggest piece of shit i have ever read, you should be ashamed……ffs even other gooners said there should be spurs players in the team……..your just a twat mate………..get a life

112. Bill says:

There should be absolutely NO arse wankers in the Spurs team, cos they are all cunts.

113. miki says:

sad sad arsenal, have you nothing else to talk about.
    You will not even get through to the finals ??

114. domotica says:

domotica…

[...]How many Spurs players would get in Arsenal’s First X1? « Arsenal Arsenal[...]…

115. click here, says: