Happy Arseday To You: A New Annual Celebration for Gooners Worldwide

Ladies and Gentle Arses I have a proposition.

One of the finest things about supporting the world’s greatest football team is that it makes us part of a vast tribe of like-minded people.

Whenever I see a stranger walking along the street wearing Arsenal regalia I feel a surge of pride and pleasure.

And even though I will probably never exchange a word with that passer-by, I know that I have a bond with them: they will have shared my joys and sorrows; they will have cheered when I cheered, wept when I wept.

And this bond goes worldwide.

Britain once had an empire on which the sun never set. The same can now be said of Arsenal’s support. When the Aussie Gooners are going to bed under their red-and-white duvets, the Californian ones are waking up and pouring coffee into their cannon-embossed mugs.

So it occurred to me that it might be a good idea to devote one day a year to celebrating our international kinship.

We might call it Arseday.

And on Arseday we might do the following:

• Every Arsenal supporter would wear something with the club colours and emblem. If you have strict uniform rules at work – for example if you’re a policeman, a barrister or a bishop (don’t laugh – the former Archbishop of Canterbury, George Carey, is an ardent Gooner) – then an Arsenal pin or tie may be appropriate, even a pair of Gunners undies or socks.
  • Supporters should endeavour to meet with like-minded people (other supporters) for a social gathering.
  • Where possible the social event will include a fund-raising element to generate funds for Arsenal’s chosen charity of the year (for example, an Arsenal quiz night, a screening of the Invincibles season highlights or of the full game at Anfield from 1989 or the 1971 Cup Final).
  • All present will raise a toast to: “The Arsenal: By Far the Greatest Team the World Has Ever Seen.”
  • Maybe we could even send ‘Happy Arseday’ cards to each other!

I love the idea that on Arseday you would be on the lookout wherever you went for others wearing their Arsenal regalia. You would be able to give them a knowing nod and share a moment of togetherness, without anyone else having the faintest idea what on earth was going on.

The next big question (and I’m sure you’re ahead of me here) concerns which date should be chosen for Arseday.

There are some simple options, like the first or last day of the season, but I’m sure that we Gooners can come up with something better. Here are some possibilities:

• December 11th: the day, in 1886, when Dial Square (who would go on to become the Arsenal) played their first game.
  • September 2nd: it was on this day in 1893 that the newly named Woolwich Arsenal played their first match as a professional club.
  • September 6th: In 1913, this was the day we played our first game at Highbury.
  • December 25th: in 1886, the first time the word Arsenal was used in our club’s name (it was changed from Dial Square to Royal Arsenal).
  • January 19th: Herbert Chapman’s birthday.
  • October 22nd: Arsene Wenger’s birthday.
  • May 26th: the date, in 1989, when we clinched the most dramatic league title of them all.
  • May 8th: the day we completed our first Double, by winning the FA Cup in 1971.
  • St Totteringham’s Day. The day on which it ceases to become mathematically possible for Sp*rs to finish above us in the league.

Some have obvious problems: December 25th has already been claimed by someone else; St Tott’s day (hard though this is to credit) is not actually guaranteed to happen every single year; any dates in May run the risk of being overtaken by the drama of the business end of the season; and using AW’s birthday is all well and good – but what happens when he retires?

Perhaps we should have a poll to see which date works best?

Anyway, there it is: a modest proposal. What does anyone think? Is it a waste of time or would it actually be quite nice to have one day a year where we just celebrate being Arsenal?

Would the Arsenal blog world get behind the idea?

Over to you…

RockyLives

80 Responses to Happy Arseday To You: A New Annual Celebration for Gooners Worldwide

I’ve been sitting on this post from Rocky for weeks and he has been very patient – thank you Rocky.

I think we have the perfect date now – the passing of Danny Fiszman has given us the opportunity to honour him and celebrate our love for our club.

What d’you think about April 11th?

2. I do think it’s a brilliant idea though. I always want to say something when I see other gooners out in the street, if it’s a child I usually tell them they’re wearing a great shirt.

3. 26may1989 says:

Sorry, not for me peaches, club owners and directors aren’t the ones to get the blood flowing.

It has to be 26 May doesn’t it (or should I say 26may1989)?!

Or if we’re to go for a bereavement, how about 31 March, the day in 2001 when David Rocastle died.

Nice idea for a post by the way Rocky.

4. Evonne says:

Rocky – what a fantastic, brilliant idea!!!

I used to travel extensively and always took my Arsenal shirt or hat with me. Wherever I went I had people approaching me, shaking my hand, smiling, showing me their Arsenal badges. Wearing the shirt, the jacket or hat always makes me feel I belong.

Once we landed in Bulgaria and I was wearing my arsenal top. There was a plane from Mancunia that landed at the same time – gosh, did I get some dirty looks… :)

Once I took my lawn mower for repairs and I was wearing some Arsenal t-shirt. The old man behind the counter said ‘You can take that off for the starters, or I won’t serve you'; then I noticed all the spurs regalia on the walls ….whooops

5. hec says:

The day Charlie scored at Wembley, the sun shone , we had won the league the previous monday at white hart lane ,as the spporters used to say at the time , we`ve won the cake lets get the icing , sounds a bit naff nowadays, but All was well with the world , an unforgettable day.

6. JonJon says:

how about the day we win the groves first trophy..?? ;)

danny fiszman day should be the day the grove opened..

Rocky,
    An excellent idea. Dec 11 suits me best!
    I know what you mean about seeing a fellow Gooner. If the situation permits, and he/she does not have a moustache or look like a killer, I cannot resist at least a knowing glance.
    Recently, on my trip to New York, I visited Katz Deli to get my “World’s Best Pastrami Sandwich” and as I made my way through to our table, noticed a man mountain of an African American (his words) in AFC Cap and Top. Had to lean over and shake the hand. He was delighted to meet a fellow Gooner who had actually seen them live, and I had that warm tingly feeling of the World being an even better place.

Oh, and I think we need a World Class Striker. Not a good one, a very very expensive one. All winning teams have one.

9. phemchy_Nigeria says:

really luv dis post.
    Anyday is ok by me, bt d prblm is hw can we make it a reality, we nid 2 inform arsenal.com abt dis, its a v. Gud idea.
    Lets start d campaign now, goto blogs,sites,twit,fbk etc n share dis link, we nid 2 celebr8 a day 4 gooners worldwide.
    It begins wt u n me, lets do it

10. JonJon says:

yup we need a striker..
    rvp is class but never fit we rely on him too much another would be good

utd have been poor most of the season but they have three top strikers and its practically won them the league..maybe the double..

we may have the best creative midfield in the league but its your strikers who win you games…

11. Evonne says:

Rocky – how about some day in the summer when we are all starved for footy? Is there a memorable day in say July or August?

12. Red Arse says:

Hi Rocky, :-)

What a brilliant idea contained within a beautifully written Post.

But ….. and life would not be complete without a ‘but’ from RA, would it? :-)

There are two points that you might have to reconsider.

a) I am deeply flattered, but also disbelieving, that I could be part of ‘a vast tribe of like-minded people’.
    So many AA’ers have told me I am a denizen of ‘La La’ land that it should read, ‘it makes us part of a vast tribe of like-minded people’ + 1. :-) Deal?

b) There is a problem in that I have already patented a day which bears the key word in your suggestion, and that is ‘Red Arse Day’.
    The only way I can be bought off is if you agree to write at least 3 more lovely Posts in the next month! Deal? :-)

13. Evonne says:

Red Arse – ‘it makes us part of a vast tribe of like-minded people’ + 2. I am completely and utterly la-la too

14. Abduul says:

Arsenal wll win livapol wth 2-0

15. Harry says:

Rocky, quality, knew you had wrote that before I got to the bottom…..Unique style my man…….

I know exactly what you mean, generally if I see a fellow gooner, I will make a comment, similarly if I see a sp*rs fan and have my kids with me, I make a point of “come near son you might catch something, its one of them spuds” I have had some great comments back on that one, my kids are older now and maybe dont appreciate it so much these days!!

I am all for a Annual Arse Day, as long as the right type of people come along, if you get my drift…….

I hear you peaches, but after a great idea from Rocky, can we wait a whole year for the day to come round for the inaugural celebration?

Therefore it has to be soon, anyday really, would be happy with 26 May, season generally would be over, then whether we win silver or not we have a coming together in celebration of being gooners……

Altogether now, Oh to be Oh to be a GOONER………

What time we all meeting up tomorrow, princess?

16. Very says:

Hey posters, what a brilliant idea and fab support from everybody. Problem, need a better name than Arseday. Won’t want people to laugh at our behinds. How about Gunnersday?

17. Gorip says:

December 11th will be great for Arseday

18. Morning Harry :)

I did think straight away that it has to be on the 26th May but the 1971 double was really special too.

I think we should plan to meet up between 2.30 and 3 at the Tavern, how’s that with everyone? chary won’t be joining us and I don’t remember if GiE is either but you and I know how to make a party rock :)

19. Gooner in Exile says:

I’m unfortunately not making it tomorrow.

Back to the post whilst in principle I support the idea I have a problem as Very said and Harry intimated that the name might attract fans of a different kind of Arse. But then if it also brings out the things they admire perhaps it is not such a bad idea :).

20. Gooner in Exile says:

Oh and Very have you thought of the consequences of Gunnersday in countries where the right to bear arms is sacramount.

21. When i first read Rocky’s post I got the impression it would be secret celebration between all of us, not a fanfare and flag waving kind of day but a sly smile to other gooners who were wearing a badge or hat – a very classy celebration ……..

22. Sal Paradise says:

As today 16th April is the day that this great idea took flight, I think it must be the first Arse Day. We now have a year to plan something proper for the next one.

23. Great idea Sal Paradise :)

24. Harry says:

Alas the gathering shall be small tomorrow I fear, the clan of AA will be small in numbers but brave in voice as we shall yield our mighty positivity onto other fellow gooners…….

Stand tall, be proud, stand together stand as one conquer all…..

I like the sound of Gooners Day, on that day all gooners around the world must wear something that shows their alligeance, and any gooner they see they shall decry the immortal words “Oh to be a Gooner”…..

Tottenhams would be “Spud u dislike day” they could have a celebration, all dress up as Mr Potato head and release a dvd of it…….

Cannot wait for tomorrow……..The real arsenal are going to stand up……

25. Harry says:

Is that a private party peaches? oh you make me blush….:)

26. Demented Gooner says:

Knowing what to say isn’t really a problem. Usually when I see someone in an Arsenal shirt, hat or whatever (away from the Emirates area), I always say to them something like ‘that’s a great shirt you’ve got on’. People have done the same to me. Simple. Sometimes it can lead to a good chat too.

Great post as usual Rocky and a good time to remind ourselves what the Arsenal means to us with the ‘crunch games’ coming up.

Arseday? has to be in the warm weather for the party atmosphere, so for me 26th May is perfect.

Thanks for the kind comments and for not ridiculing my little idea.

Rasp
    The trouble with the end of May is that so many Gooners are so grumpy these days that if the season has ended like, for example, 09/10, then people might just not be in the mood. I’d favour one of the December dates.

Redders
    ‘it makes us part of a vast tribe of like-minded people’ + 1
    That made me laugh – and I love the way Evonne wants to join you in LaLa Land.
    It also reminded me of the brilliantly clever scene in The Life of Brian where Brian is addressing a large crowd and trying to persuade them not to follow him, but to be individuals:
    Brian: “You are all individuals.”
    Crowd (as one): “We are all individuals.”
    Little Guy At The Back: “I’m not.”

29. Red Arse says:

Hi Rocky, :-)

In my book you are a ‘natural’ in whatever you write, whether it is a knowledgeable or an amusing piece.

Love reading your stuff! :-)

30. Red Arse says:

GIE,

I think you are a tease too! Your made up word sacramount fits in perfectly with the Rocky’s mention of the Life of Brian.

A very nice blend of sacred and paramount = sacramount! :-) Very cunning.

31. Red Arse says:

Rocky,

I am ashamed to say that I have never seen ‘The Life of Brian’, although I know of it by repute, of course.

(walks off blushing with embarrassment) …….

32. Gooner In Exile says:

RA:

1) Watch Life of Brian probably one of the all time greatest comedies.

2) sacramount isn’t a word? :oops: what did i mean then? (sacrament/sacrosanct….English not my strong point, i’m a numbers man ;) )

33. Red Arse says:

GIE,

I loved the clever word combination. Are you being modest? :-)

Paramount = of the utmost importance
    Sacred = divine or holy

That sums up the views of people (USA) who love their guns. Sacramount ….. if is not a word it should be! :-)

34. Cyrus kiprop says:

Great idea,i had the same thoughts,but i was thinking of starting an arsenal supporters club in the campus i attend and the chose an arsenal day where every arsenal suppoter dorn arsenal colours,am gonna do it…we ahve a great number of arsenal supporters where i am.

35. 26may1989 says:

Rasp @12.41: “for me 26th May is perfect” – I didn’t know you cared!

36. Gooner In Exile says:

RA, did I mention the USA ;)

37. Red Arse says:

Well done, Cyrus. Go for it! :-)

26, I think you ‘may’ have misunderstood what Rasp intended to say.

His un-redacted comment was ‘for me 26th May is perfect, cooked gently in olive oil until golden and served on a platter, garnished with a large red apple in his shiny white teeth’.

He naturally believed the last part was superfluous as it was a ‘given’, of course! :-)

38. 26may1989 says:

Excellent RA!

39. Red Arse says:

Some might consider this sacrilegious, but I have been watching the Rugby Premier League game between Leicester and Gloucester!! :-)

It was a fabulous game full of guts and courage, with a last second equalising try.

If I was manager of Arsenal, I would make that sort of game mandatory watching to show some of our more effete players what is expected of them.
    So what if it is rugby ….. these guys are a fantastic example of determination and never say die!

Sacrilege? No way!! :-)

40. desigunner says:

Excellent Idea.

I’d go with Dec 11th or, if someone can find out, the day the idea of the club was first conceived. I would say that was the day The Arsenal was born and would be a fitting day. Other dates which are with reference to events might get overshadowed by something else in the future. For instance, the first treble will over shadow the first double.

41. Evonne says:

Desigunner – a treble? Nice one :) Next season ?

42. Red Arse says:

Arsenal’s first ever game was on the 11th December 1886, as alluded to by many earlier comments.

But how about a sunny August 1st, right at the beginning of the Emirates Cup Tournament.

A natural gathering of Gooners, if I ever heard of one, as well as those other clubs’fans to spread the news? :-)

43. Evonne says:

Red Arse – good idea, plus in the middle of the football-barren time of year, should give us something to look forward to

44. Red Arse says:

Well, that’s the plus 2, Evonne, now we have to convince all Rocky’s ‘vast tribe of like-minded people’ !! :-)

Anyway, I am not sure I am even talking to you, after your comment this morning to Peaches about an AA book.

You said I could do the one liners and the rest of the AA gang could do the wise comments for the book.

Now everyone knows Micky is the funny ‘one liner’ man and as I am excluded from the ‘wise’ comments, I will become known as ‘no book’ Red Arse. :-(

45. Evonne says:

Oh darling Red Arse,I am so sorry, me is polish and silly!!!! That’s not what I meant at all – your one liners are classics, witty, funny and all together brilliant….. am I forgiven?

46. Evonne says:

Has anyone noticed the fury on ManU players’ faces after they lost to City? Scolls’ determination? Rio’s reactions? Well, we never see that after our team loses a game

47. Red Arse says:

Evonne,

You should know by now I am a terrrible tease. :-)

I am extremely pro-Polish people; you are certainly not silly and you are a very lovely person, as all the AA’ers on here will tell you! (especially the equally lovely 26)! :oops

That will not stop me teasing you tho’, and everyone else on AA, if I get the chance. :-)

48. Red Arse says:

I am so happy Manure lost, it is almost unseemly!

Yaay! :-)

49. London says:

Is this just wishful thinking or did anyone else notice that United were starting to look a bit tired. Maybe that crowded fixture list is starting to take its toll.

Clever idea for a post Rocky.

50. Evonne says:

London – they did look tired and rattled :) Peaches told me today about posts you wrote in the past and how brilliant they were; I am going to dig them out, but when are you planning to write your next post?

51. Evonne says:

Red Arse – you naughty, naughty boy!! I will tell Peaches!
    Kelsey will think we are flirting again :)

Scholes out of the Emirates clash?

Nice idea, Rocky. How about Arsetillery Day?

Just popping in.
    Everyone gloating. Me too.
    RA and Evonne still flirting. Excellent.

Off popping now.
    Hope to see some of you tomorrow.
    Leaving very early. So here’s to giving them a good thrashing.
    Nite all.

55. Evonne says:

I give up :(

56. Harry says:

Evonne @7.16pm, not sure I fully agree with exactly what your saying, the fury of rio was linked directly to Balotelli, yes he reacted as he had lost, but the anger was all stirred by the young italian…….otherwise they looked no different to what our players did at Wembley……
    Scholes determination? what for his tackle? no different to wilshere’s determination at times….?

I agree London in a way they did looked tired, lets hope Newcastle are well up for it on Monday or Tuesday when they them at SJP……

Tomorrow we need to kill Liverpool off early, huge game on wednesday, by then we’ll all know whether we are out of the title race…..

57. Evonne says:

Harry – yes and no. Rio wouldn’t be wind up by Ballottelli had they won, it was the lost game that angered him, Ballottelli was just a trigger.
    Scholes is known to do just about anything to win a game, including some horrid tackles, like the one today. I would not see Jack or others act like that, I am merely pointing out the difference

Did you son’s team win last week?

58. SharkeySure says:

Evening all, graet idea Rocky.

I’m with Evonne on this one. It needs to be an off season date, and yep around the time of the Emirates Cup would be a great time.

Should it always be a Sat or Sun?? ie. the first Sat of August, making get togethers and meet ups that much easier.

59. SharkeySure says:

What was up with Yaya Toure today. Normally he needs a long lie down after his first two runs, today he kept on going and going. He was a monster today.

I wonder if he intercepted that package I sent to London Colney yesterday..?? That would explain it. If he hasn’t actually pilfered my parcel, then I want him drugs tested

60. Harry says:

No they drew 3-3, 3-1 down with ten to go, so it was a good point……He misses his game tomorrow as we will be at the Emirates…..

I understand you were merely pointing out your perception of what you saw…..I just disagree with your understanding of the situations you quote and its relation to our players and what they would have done, still do, are you there tomorrow? I’ll explain to you next time I see you….

61. Evonne says:

Sharkey – psssshhhh…..drugs…you are sooo old-fashioned! Yaya had double helpings of steak and cottage cheese

62. Evonne says:

Rocky – we all love your idea, but how are we going to progress it? I wouldn’t want it to be just an idea, but reality

63. Gooner in Exile says:

Agree London, united looked tired, any explanation for Giggs absence today?

Scholes to miss three Premier League games so if Giggs is injured that’s two of their go to experience players in doubt.

Vidic looked woeful on the deck when Toure ran at him. I think Rio and Van der Sar are definitely carrying knocks but Fergie makes sure they run through brick walls for him.

Both teams played 4-5-1 but Uniteds “winners” came short against ManChavs, do we think Scholes would have got red card if Fergie was on bench?

64. SharkeySure says:

I’d like to hope so GiE. Even before Dean pulled out his red card, I suspected it might be coming. There was just a steely look about Dean like he was manning himself up for something.

I figured he saw something from close quarters that we didn’t see too clearly on TV. And so it proved to be.

Shocking assault by Scholes, completely and wholly intentional. Great player, but also a gnarley little git.

65. SharkeySure says:

Evonne. Steak and cottage cheese…?? Polish speciality..??

66. Gooner in Exile says:

I have no problem with aggressive teams but Fergies teams have always been on the edge and capable of horrible challenges….Keane for example.

67. Carlito11 says:

Great idea for a post Rocky- sorry I wasn’t around yesterday. I think Gunnersday should be on the day we played our first matching N5- that’s when things really took off for the club and it would wind up the spuds! Plus it would be early season when optimism and good wether coincide :-)

68. Carlito11 says:

Gie- you may be right that Dean wouldn’t have dared had he had to face Fergie on the touchline!
    I also watched “El Clasico” yesterday which was hardly a classic game but what was interesting was that Barca did their play acting and waving imaginary cards and it worked- although Real’s red card was spot on too. However, they tired again soon after 70″ and Real managed to get one back with a man down. Wenger’s plan was definitely spot on for that game- he just needs to train the team to play as effectively as mourinho does!
    Btw- is there a meet up at the Tavern today?

69. Evonne says:

Carlito – you party animal!

Sharkey – cottage cheese and steak as recommended by Peaches, have you not read Friday post??

M1 still closed, less Scoucers, less noise at the Emirates, good.

70. Carlito11 says:

Party animal Evonne? Just read my last post again- I meant *train the team to play as effectively with 10 men as Mourinho does*… Note to self: Coffee BEFORE Blogging. Always. :-)

71. Evonne says:

Carlito – in your own words: ‘Btw- is there a meet up at the Tavern today?’ – 2 coffees for you before replying!!

72. Carlito11 says:

Haha! :-D More coffee coming right up!

73. Evonne says:

cheeky monkey – I believe there is a meetup organized by Peaches, but very few attending
    Have fun! Up the Gunners

74. Carlito11 says:

Sun’s poking out- Nina Simone playing on the speakers- got a good feeling about today- think we might see the Cesc Walcott show today…

75. Evonne says:

What about that Andy Carroll?? I am beginning to seriously dislike the guy

76. Carlito11 says:

JD and Szezzer should cope much better than when we faced Newcastle without either of them I reckon…

77. Rasp – shall I put the post up?

78. JediKnut says:

Absolutely love the idea! Brilliant one. St. Totteringham’s Day sounds like a good date to keep, but then, why club the two together? We have another day to celebrate by keeping them separate.

December 11th it should be!

79. Latrice says:

Howdy! This blog post could not be written any better!
    Going through this article reminds me of my previous roommate!
    He always kept preaching about this. I am going to forward this
    article to him. Pretty sure he will have a great read.
    Thanks for sharing!