Arsenal Rock and Roll onwards…..Phew!

Written by Harry

As the sun shone all over Bloomfield, Arsene’s battle weary troops took to the field with Lehmann starting his 200th game for the gunners…….No mean feat, apart from the fact his 199th was 3 years ago!! Manuel was injured in the warm up…….I think I heard that Eboue had tied his bootlaces together…Anyway Big Jens was in the spotlight…..

As expected Blackpool started like a rollercoaster, pace and purpose with a few ups and downs, survival is paramount to the seasiders and they tried to get at a vulnerable Arsenal defence, supposedly which is there for the taking according to some…….But Arsenal held firm with Squillaci and Kosceinly doing a good impression of a Centre back partnership..

And although Blackpool got some crosses in Lehmann took every catch with the air of authority as he marshalled the back line as if he had never been away, he has a presence about him, a calmness that really does settle the team…..

Fabregas was back and although not at his majestic best, his array of passing was on show as he looked to open up the seasiders, a delightful lobbed pass over the Blackpool back line saw van Persie’s control just let him down as the ball ran through to Kingston.

Arsenal really began to control the game as Blackpool found it difficult to maintain the early pace, Diaby intercepted and strode forward with purpose, laying off to Cesc, Diaby then thrust towards goal, as Cesc pinged the ball wide left to van Persie, who only needed to play the ball across the area to an Arsenal player, yes for once someone was in the area!! Honest!! As Diaby just ended the move he started with ease, 1-0……..

It wasn’t long before it was 2-0 with the goal of the game for me, Eboue cutting in from the right played a one-two with Wilshere, as he took the ball on the return in his stride and absolutely smashed in the far top corner….If that had been Rooney and Scholes, the press would have wet themselves, that was a goal of a high quality……

Arsenal tried to put the game to bed, but for the rest of the first half they had a bit of a Torres spell……Most memorable moment came when Nasri couldn’t quite get the ball out of his feet to get a shot off inside the area, he was pushed wide, he played the ball back across and darted into the box again as Fabregas sent a sublime chip into his path, as the keeper came out, nasri struck across the ball, which hit the post and away, that would have been a quality goal, one we all knew we needed.

Just before Half Time Blackpool signalled their intentions not to lie down, when they got down the right and put the ball across into a melee, somehow a faint touch from Lehmanns outstretched leg stopped the ball going in and Fabregas calmly took the ball away.

In the 2nd half, Blackpool took the game to Arsenal, with more gusto than a Talksport presenter criticizing Arsenal……

As Blackpool broke again, little Jack stretched to a tackle, but brought himself a yellow, Mason waved play on, Blackpool attacked at pace, as DJ danced into the box he took the ball towards the goal, Lehmann, came out and took him down, the ball fell to Taylor-Fletcher who tapped into the empty net, game on…..

As much as I rate Lee Mason as the worst referee I have seen in the premiership (he was the ref at the Everton home match), fair play to how he handled this phase of play……Lehmann could have seen red… (Lucky Break No1)

Blackpool really went for it and Arsenals steadiness of the 1st half was replaced with some ropey impressions of Bambi on ice, then lucky break no2, Koscienly took Taylor-Fletcher out just inside the area with what was a stone-wall penalty…..Mason waved them away, ying and yang somehow playing their part, me thinks….

Wenger made his first substitution with an inevitable early retreat for Arshavin, I think we could all see that coming a mile off.  Walcott’s entrance would add an extra threat that would finally seal the points.

But the start of the move for the points bagger, must see high praise for Toto, who slid in for a perfect tackle, taking the ball away just as Blackpool threatened again, Diaby mopped up the ball but was under immediate pressure, he twisted and turned and got a chip pass through to Cesc, who first time helped it on to the jet fuelled Theo, who disappeared down the right faster than Rooney chasing a Camera man, he passed across to van Persie who passed the ball into the bottom right hand corner. Game over, planets re-aligned…..

Ratings:

Lehmann: 8: Probably a tad generous with his near red moment, but then it wouldn’t be Jens without that; I just liked the authority he has, barking his orders and berating the slightest error….keeps them on their toes. Made a couple of good saves as well……Does he have 7 more games in him?

Eboue: 8: Still has the ability to frustrate with his acting ability, but I love the way he takes the game to the opposition, not afraid to see a gap and attack it, his goal was superb.

Koscienly: 7: Solid enough game, but lucky not to give away a penalty, but apart from that I felt he did his job without too much problems.

Squillaci: 8: Very solid, read the game well, cannot remember any mistakes and his tackle that started the move for the 3rd goal was exceptional.  For me, probably controversially, my MotM…

Clichy: 7: Had a decent game apart from his moment of “Total Liability” when he decided to dwell on the ball and acts like a lemming……For me it is a too regular occurrence, Spurs, Birmingham etc.

Fabregas: 7: Fantastic Passing, orchestrated attacking moves like only he can, just lacked a bit of sharpness in his movement, but he is nursing his hamstrings….

Diaby: 7.5: Started and Finished the move for the opener, and was instrumental in the 3rd, got a silly booking before half time. This is the Diaby I defend continuously….although he has even more to give, physically he can dominate games if his head is in the right time dimension.

Wilshere: 7: Although no where near his best in affecting the game creative wise, but he kept in there and was involved throughout in physical encounters, never gives up, has the right attitude for me.

Nasri: 7: Looked more himself today, still not as sharp as before his injury, but getting there. When we were on top he really was buzzing, probing and trying to get at their fullbacks. Nearly scored twice…….

Van Persie: 7: Good game, unfortunate the ball ran away from him on one occasion and another he just seem to half hit it. Took the goal well to seal the points, worked hard, just needs to be a tad more clinical at times.

Arshavin: 6: Not involved enough for me, after a couple of better performances lately, but he needs the team to involve him more. Personally I would play him behind Van Persie, would be much more effective, but I am no Professor…….

Subs:

Walcott :7:  Lively and Jet fuelled, want him to be more selfish when near the goal, but there again that’s not in our locker….

Gibbs and Ramsey: Too little time to judge…..

Wenger: 9: End of a turbulent week for Le Boss, his handling of the press set the scene for a punchy response from his team. Made the right changes to the line up and made the substitutions at the right times…..

Roast Dinner at Pub with Man United Mates: Priceless …………

Overall:

Some decisions went for us, some didn’t, its argumentative who had the real key defining ones, although Kozzers’ was a stonewall penalty, but hey ho that’s football……..It was a great result and a much more impressive performance, still needs to be upped a level for the next seven games, all must win for me.

Away from home we definitely play with more freedom, less fear. With Blackpool fans epitomizing my firm held belief that a crowd can play its part, okay, they didn’t win, but the positive support helped them go through the gears with the speed of Jensen button…..

Footnote:

Probably could do without the talk of takeovers at such a crucial time, but just maybe the distraction could keep the fans from been so negative about the team and Wenger?

And if the takeover sees the return of Double D, this could reignite the successful times he enjoyed with Wenger till his acrimonious departure, I pray…….

2nd Footnote:

Man City think they can buy our Jack for 40million?

For that amount of money they can have his boots, he isn’t going nowhere my middle eastern oil pumpers…..See you all next Sunday……

141 Responses to Arsenal Rock and Roll onwards…..Phew!

1. goonermichael says:

Great post.

Fine post Harry. “with more gusto than a Talksport presenter criticizing Arsenal……” Great stuff.

A very fair report harry, and there is no doubt many decisions went our way yesterday,yet I am convinced that we still would have won.As i said last night none of the remaining teams we play,except Spurs, will have the gung ho approach.

jens does command his box well and jens is jens,but understandably he has lost his agility.

Re kroenke, it is intersting that AST have a meeting tonight with Gazidis.Co incidence or not.

As long as our principles are maintained i hope the takover is a good thing, and we don’t become the arsenal jets.

I don’t envisage shed loads of money being poured into the club, but I sincerely hope DD comes back regardless of what some may think.
    I think we need a few days to gather in our thoughts,and The Swiss Rambler will surely put up a post to clarify things.

I said 6 months ago this would happen, and maybe Fiszman’s health and the way lady Nina a was treated gave Kroenke the opportunity to make this takeover,with considerable thinking on his behalf and meetings these lat few months.
    The fair play rule is only 18 months away and Chelsea and City will be dramatically affected.

I forsee good times ahead, just be patient.

4. Carlito11 says:

Cracking write up Harry. I enjoyed the game despite the worrying rally from Blackpool after half-time. We looked to get the ball forward more quickly and a good day in the office from Diaby certainly played its part. He rarely dallied on the ball and looked for the quick pass- if he can keep playing like that we’ll be fine. Saying that though, we definitely missed Song’s defensive cover and I shudder to think what a similar defensive performance would yield against Liverpool and Manu.
    Fair play to the Blackpool supporters for lifting their team and making sure it was a contest. Conversely, for anyone who doubts whether “moaning fans” have an adverse effect on players- check this out: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/905611/vedran-corluka:-i-called-spurs-fan-an-idiot?cc=5739
    The thing is- I’d always associated this kind of support with the spuds, getting on their players backs instead of getting behind them. It is not something Arsenal fans did!

5. goonermichael says:

I’m with you Kelsey

Rule No1: If you don’t want to be “got” by Peaches, then don’t write excellent match reports.

7. Red Arse says:

Morning folks, :-)

I posted the following after Rasper signalled ‘New Post’ so thought I would copy it here.

This is all speculation, but ties in roughly to what is reported in the media.

Hi Guys, Just thinking out loud. :-)

We obviously still do not know the full extent of the deal to acquire the shares of danny Fizman and Lady Nana.

The reported shares acquired by Kroenke, so far, amount to 63%.

The acquisition of Usmanov’s 27%, (I have already explained why he will sell), would bring the shares acquired to 90%, at which time the remaining shareholders could be forced to sell their shareholdings, giving Kroenke 100% ownership.

The total shares of Arsenal Holdings PLC = 62,000, if you take a mean of the shares already bought, and allow for the expected current share purchase price of between £11,500 and £12,000 (reports vary), say £11,750 that would value the company at £729,000,000.

Usmanov’s 27% would bring him approximately (£729m/100*27) = £197m.

If Usmanov bought most of his shares from David dein for £75m (16%) reported, plus the balance (11%) for approx £9,000 per share (reported) = [say] £100m = total £175m – offer price [£197m] = £22m, then he will have made a tidy profit, although no doubt peanuts to him!

RA, Its Fiszman with an s, but Lady Nana I really like :-)

9. Red Arse says:

Fune Post, Harry. :-)

Like Carlito, I enjoyed the game and especially the result but there were some excitingly hairy moments here and there. [Lehman could/should have been sent off and Kozzer's mad penalty area challenge].

Refreshing tho’ after the gloom lately.

10. goonermichael says:

I’ve only seen the Arsenal goals so I think it was a perfect performance :)

RA,
    Maybe that “tidy profit” will allow Usmanov to buy the club he really supports ie Utd.

12. goonermichael says:

I hope we see the back of jabba the hutt. He’s scum and a manc

13. Red Arse says:

Mickey,

I never add ‘e’ to names either!! Oops :-)

You say potato, I say potater; potato – potater; let’s call the whole thing Dinny Fiszman.

You will soon hvae me typing and spellin korrectly! :-)

Would anyone agree that a real problem with the Kos/Squil pairing is that they look too similar, or might that be the aging eyesight of this viewer. I have always been in favour of a CB with a difference up top, say a Stevie Bould or a Willie Young.

RA :-)
    I can’t spel, you can is the sad truth!

16. Sidcup Reds says:

The soul has gone from my beloved club, an American businessman buying it, watch the season ticket prices go up now. ALL American sport is pure tedium, this bloke will kill our club.
    I’m out, not renewing my season ticket after 37 years, the ground is full of plastic fans anyway now, golf anyone?

The mickydidit actually comes from a cap that Mickey Thomas was wearing on the saturday (may 27, 1989) and that is exactly what it said. “Micky Did It”. Honest gov.

Sidcup,
    Samaritains 0800 202020

19. Gooner in Exile says:

Cracking report Harry, i feel justified doing the ironing now :D

Was yesterday evidence that Theo’s role is one of impact sub rather than regular starter?

For me he at times lacks the skill to round a pair of fresh legs, however coming on against a tired Blackpool full back his quick change of direction were enough to get him away from the marker.

As you say good performances from the rest of the players, particularly Squilli and Eboue (who lest we forget signed a long term contract extension around December/January just gone).

I thought Eboue showed all the qualities that he possesses, bags of energy, good feet, pace and drive.

Diaby also had a good game, but as others commented yesterday he and Jack together is not a good defensive midfield combination, he offers more than Song going forward but the lack of bite for defensive duties. But the way he won back the ball gave it to feet and moved through to the box with so much ease is exactly why so many of us feel he has unfulfilled potential.

Final thought for the non Twitterers:

“300 games for Arsenal today with a very important victory. I look back and i see so many great things. But i look at the future and i see…

…Even greater things. Thank you very much for making me feel so special all those years. Now i want more. Let’s fight untill the end!”

I take it from those words that those who believe Cesc is gone in the summer may have to retrain their beliefs.

20. goonermichael says:

Golf? I’d rather chew my own face off. But I wouldn’t condemn others for partaking.

GM,
    I am sure there is a different 0800 number for your sort :-)

22. goonermichael says:

I just don’t like golf micky. I’m actually excited by the takeover.

Kos, goes near the mark nearly every game,and I am sure when he was bought he was going to be third or forth choice.A huge jump from the french second division to us.having said that,i think he will become a good player and it doesn’t help when we have to keep changing our central defender pairing so often,

Not much mention of AA.he is either out of form, uninterested or just not got the pace for the PL

24. Red Arse says:

Micky,

You always give me a chuckle. You are a ‘reet good laff’. :-)

You know I was teasing you about Micky. I still have a black and white ‘photo somewhere of him on the celebratory bus, (Ithink) wearing it. Oh happy days! :-)

25. Gooner in Exile says:

Sidcup is the ticket lower tier or upper, i’ll have it.

In reality what has changed, we are not talking more money into the club, we are talking about buying shares that were there to buy anyway if the right price was reached. I’d much rather the acquisition is friendly and that the Board will be kept in place (no doubt a condition of recommending the sale).

But for the foreseeable future I would not expect any major changes, why would there be, Kroenke has been on the board for enough years, has worked with the board in that time, so it has been slowly slowly and like players he could only have learned in that time what the Club represents in terms of traditions and values to fans and to the wider football community.

26. goonermichael says:

I’m off to the airport now. See you all when I get back to the shithole that is London

27. Red Arse says:

Sidcup,

Cheer up.

The club has been owned by Kroenke, Usmanov, a lady who inherited her stakeholding, and a resident of Switzerland for the last few years. What’s changed??

28. 26may1989 says:

Nice write up Harry, though I have to say, I agree 100% with Carlito, Exile etc – the defensive cover from midfield yesterday was poor. Diaby’s the prinicpal one for that job but Wilshere, Fabregas, Arshavin/Walcott and Nasri needed to do more too.

And had Taylor-Fletcher not scored, Blackpool would’ve had a penalty and Lehmann probably would’ve been sent off with van Persie having to go in goal – much as I love him, am not sure Jens deserves an 8 in that context. In fact, I’d probably knock a mark off the ratings of Kos, Squillaci, Clichy and Diaby.

Was excellent to see Jens giving some vocals to the defenders though. And hopefully the players will use yesterday as a launchpad for the tough games to come (Liverpool, Spurs, Man U).

29. Red Arse says:

GIE,

I really had not read your message before I posted mine.

Great minds etc etc …… or bloody accountants! :-)

Morning all, great post Harry – the ‘…….I think I heard that Eboue had tied his bootlaces together’ made me spit my tea out.

I’m all positivity this morning. I agree with Raddy, very little is going to change as a result of Silent Stan coming in. No extra debt (I pray) and continue with the same prudence (we’re not going to splash millions on glory buys) because that makes us stable and secure.

The main plus could be the exit of PhW and reinstatement of DD, this time as chairman, but I only expect that to happen straight away. No doubt we’ll hear in due course that PhW has decided to stand down after years of faithful service to the club and that would be the Arsenal way of han dling affairs.

31. 26may1989 says:

@RA 9.56: I still don’t think Usmanov is going to sell his 27% quickly. Yes, the club will now be under day-to-day control of Kroenke, but Usmanov’s carefully assembled stake allows him to block company resolutions requiring at least 75% of the shares. These don’t arise often but when they do they are important matters relating to the structure of a company. Usmanov’s strategy will be to sit tight until his vote is needed for one of those special resolutions, and then block it unless a whacking premium is paid to him for his stake.

The ownership position will be simpler with Silent Stan taking day-to-day control BUT the conflict between him and Usmanov is only going to become more intense. And there is no reason for it to be resolved any time soon, Usmanov can sit there and wait, there is simply no down side for him in doing that.

That’s my bet anyway!

32. Gooner in Exile says:

Kelsey AA23 looked a little out of the game, in the early phases he was missed out completely or players couldn’t reach him with their passes due to Blackpool pressing game on the midfield.

Although I need to look at a video I would suggest that he must have made some kind of movement away from the left wing to occupy a defender that then allowed RvP the time and space to pick Diaby out for the first.

At 29 his fitness seems to be an issue but he has played many more times than others, he is joint 4th for starts behind Jack and Kozzer (joint 1st) and Clichy 2nd. But if you add in subs appearnaces he has appeared most this season (in all competitions) 45 times.

33. Red Arse says:

Hi (12+11+3) :-)

We shall see what we shall see, as the oyster said to the kipper. :-)

We’ve got TheoVanNasriGas on the pitch, maybe we could have IvanArseDein running the football club in the future.

35. 26may1989 says:

Took me a minute to spot you were talking to me there Herr Arse, you and your arithmetic!

Rasp,
    “IvanArseDein”. Arse as in the Red One. Got my vote.
    Workski. Bye.

37. Red Arse says:

Arsh is a complete Russian enigma to me.

I just have a very positive feeling about him and he is certainly different to the average player and also has class.

I think he really tries so hard, but his little legs don’t always seem to do what he wants, and you can see how the fans reaction affects him.

Some say he is not affected by the fans groans etc, but I can empathise with him not wanting to show his hurt feelings and hiding behind an inscrutable mask.

I still think we should keep him because he will come good. Minority view, no doubt, but I don’t care.

38. Gooner in Exile says:

RA no problem keeping Arsh for me, he is a bit mardy when losing the ball, but what he contributes going forward is indisputable.

Also he has a great attitude when being fouled he is not a roller or a whiner, he expects to be fouled as he knows his skill will bamboozle defenders, therefore he gets up and gets on, you rarely see him complaining to a ref for a decision either.

39. Red Arse says:

Hi 26, :-) re. your 10:42

I am using classic distraction techniques to keep you away from my earlier ‘shares’ comment. Luckily it seems to have worked, in the main, because only Micky has picked me up on a spelling mistake (Fiszman). :-)

Trying to think about what I was writing, and then trying to type what I was thinking I was writing, while doing basic mental arithmetic calculating the values and percentages of shareholdings, as well as breathing, caused me a great cerebral overload! :-)

So far no one seems to have checked my maths, so I am happy with Micky’s spelling check!!

40. Red Arse says:

GIE,

You are quite right. That non complaining/non diving attitude is a great credit to him.

The little fella could still win us the EPL come May. :-)

41. Red Arse says:

Guys,

The following, courtesy of Young Guns, is a bit of an eye opener. We all feel so pleased with our young squad coming thru’, but perhaps we might need to re-think.

a) JET not in Cardiff squad
    b) Mannone not in Hull squad, injured
    c) Watt not included in Leeds squad
    d) Eastmond not included in Millwall squad
    e) Mark Randall not included in Rotherham squad
    f) Wellington not included in the Levante squad
    g) Carlos Vela unused sub for WBA
    h) Galindo was an unused sub for Salamanca
    i) Coquellin was an unused sub for Lorient
    j) Sunu came on as 76th min sub for Lorient
    k) Botelho sent off in 84th min for Cartagena
    l) Traore played full game for Juventus :-)
    m) Myaichi played full game for Feyenoord :-)
    n) Afobe played full game for Huddersfield :-)

Very interesting.

42. WiganGooner says:

Excellent write up again, good job Harry.

The takeover is on and we just need to strap ourselves in for the ride. I’m pleased its happened now because it means all the transfer embargo’s that happen during this process will not affect pre-season. It also will give Kronke the opportunity to sit down with Gazidis and Wenger and say that mediocrity will not be accepted anymore. He’s a winner and he demands that his teams follow his lead.

I’m not afraid of Kronke, in my mind he is the lesser of two evils in an inevitable situation. Arsenal would never have remained under the kind of share management it has so far because shares get traded all of the time for all kinds of different reasons.

I just look at what his other teams have achieved after he has got involved and that gives me hope. He has a proven track record in starting success at his clubs. Thats a winning attitude we need.

WG

RA,

you have just underlined my point that perhaps two or three will eventually make the first team squad, the others will make a living in the lower leagues and we will save a considerable amount of money,hopefully to be spent on a few experienced players so as to get a better balance IMO

44. Carlito11 says:

WG- thanks for the transfer embargo nugget- I had no idea there would be one during a takeover and that clarifies what I thought was a case of poor timing. I was thinking to myself this morning “Why now? Does the septic tank want to go on an open bus tour of N5 in May?” ;-)

45. Gooner in Exile says:

RA you (Young Guns) missed Lansbury full game for Norwich.

Kelsey it is difficult to judge on one weekend, Lansbury did not start midweek for Norwich came on as a sub and then started against Swansea on Saturday so could be the age that prevents managers playing them 2/3 times a week

46. Carlito11 says:

RA- I started a post on trying to assess the strength of the crop out on loan but by the time I’d put my conclusions on paper the players who hadn’t been getting games before now were and vice versa! I think it’s clear that Lansbury has done very well and Miyaichi likewise. Bartley was doing very well too but it looks like a serious knee injury the poor fella.
    The others have all been very hit and miss as far as I can work out- Sanchez Watt was extremely well-liked at Leeds but he has scored precious few goals so it’s unlikely he’ll make the grade at the Grove next year I’d think. JET and Eastmond have huge question marks next to their commitment levels.
    Traore is an interesting one- definitely not a kid anymore- if he’s regularly getting picked in SerieA, maybe he’s finally learnt the art of defending? If so, that can only be good news as it was always this part of his game that was lacking IMO…

GIE,

I think Lansbury has a great chance of making it, but generally very few others will get to the standard required.

Carlito,

How is the 6 miles Sky High Diving Club going ;)

49. Carlito11 says:

Hi Kelsey,

I have achieved 50% of my target of £300 sponsorship so going well! Thanks for your support… In fact, it’s likely to go swimmingly until I arrive at the jumpsite on June 11th at which point I’ll start to go green around the gills!

50. Red Arse says:

Hi Kelsey, :-)

I think you have a point about the limited number of loanees who will get thru to our 1st team.

Even Arsene said, some time ago, that if we get one ‘nugget’ out of every annual intake that would be a huge bonus.

When I watched Henri in the youth teams, with his long flowing locks, :-) he really looked excellent and I had high hopes for him. After his illness he never really looked quite the same. I am very unsure about him now. Hope i am wrong.

Hi Carlito,

Your point is well made re the young guys who are doing well, but I think 90% of the names in the above list will only make a living in the lower leagues, as Kelsey says.

The difference between becoming a multi millionaire ace, (Jack) and a common or garden footballer is wafer thin sometimes. Application and hard work are essential and not all of them have that.

51. WiganGooner says:

Also, this was on the guardian website…Worrying news for Danny Fiszman

The offer was triggered by an agreement between Kroenke’s company, KSE, and DF Nominees (the company holding Danny Fiszman’s interests in Arsenal Shares) whereby KSE will have the right to buy DF Nominee’s 16.11% stake within 20 days of Fiszman’s death. Along with KSE’s 29.9% holding, that agreement effectively gave the US group control of more than 30% of Arsenal shares – which means it is compelled to make an offer to all Arsenal shareholders under the Takeover Code (Rule 9). Separately, KSE has agreed to acquire Lady Nina Bracewell-Smith 16.79% stake, plus smaller shareholdings of Arsenal directors. In total KSE now speaks for 62.89% of Arsenal shares.

KSE now has four weeks to launch its offer to other Arsenal shareholders – which will involve it sending out formal documents to shareholders. This offer must stay open for a minimum of 21 days, but can run for three months.

52. Red Arse says:

WG,

Danny Fiszman has terminal cancer and needs to sort out his family’s trust fund, and PDQ, I suspect.

Fiszman is still a relatively young man (only 66). A timely reminder to live each day to the full. (Carpe Diem).

Who do you think will be relegated? We could have an AA sweepstake.

54. WiganGooner says:

Hi RA,

DF’s illness is something I was aware of, but I suspect with the terms of the agreement as above it looks like he has little time left.

A massive shame, he’s been awesome for Arsenal.

WG

55. Red Arse says:

You are spot on there WG.

Referring to your previous comment, my gut feeling is that Kroenke has spoken to Usmanov and already got a deal in place.

Let’s see.

56. 26may1989 says:

The BBC’s economics guru, Robert Peston, tweets that: “Usmanov is in no mood to sell his Arsenal stake to Kroenke, says ally. He is livid, feels AFC stitched him up.”

He ain’t going anywhere! At least not without a huge pay-off (eg, double his money).

57. Carlito11 says:

Robert Peston (BBC Business Editor) has this to say on twitter: “Usmanov is in no mood to sell his Arsenal stake to Kroenke, says ally. He is livid, feels AFC stitched him up.”

58. 26may1989 says:

Both 1.57pm Carlito but mine’s in there first!

59. Gooner in Exile says:

My only fear there RA is that the shareholding ends up being greater than 90%. I really would like AST and other individuals hang on to a small shareholding as a token if nothing else

60. Carlito11 says:

It seems Peston is a Gooner: “What may be lost at Arsenal with Kroenke takeover is our distinctiveness & proud sense of independence. Now we’re just like the rest. Sad”
    He’s much more palatable a communicator on twitter when you don’t have to hear his ridiculous intonation!!!

61. Carlito11 says:

Haha! Great minds 26…

62. Red Arse says:

I think once the dust settles, Exile, that Kroenke will want to make a PR move to appease the fans and allow the AST to keep their shares.

I hope so.

63. 26may1989 says:

Completely agree Exile. But given the bad PR that would flow from triggering the compulsory share purchase that could follow getting a 90% shareholding, my guess would be that Kroenke would have some sort of plan for AST, Fanshare and fan-shareholders. Perhaps they would be able to retain their shares, though these would be nominal. Or perhaps some alternative track would be proposed (eg, fan directors on the Board, as some other clubs have?).

64. 26may1989 says:

Carlito, Peston, like me, grew up Crouch End/Hornsey/Wood Green, and he went to the comp at the end of the road I lived on. He does sound like a tit on the radio but is both a top journo in his field and a proper Gooner.

65. Red Arse says:

Carlito/26,

Usmanov is used to getting his way but he is a big boy and a hard nosed businessman, and he will get over it.

He will not tie up his dosh just out of spite.

If he is an accountant (?) he should be more disciplined in his public persona.

Peston is relying on third party info, and should know better than to propogate what is basically rumour.

Altho’ rumours can be delicious fun!! :-)

66. 26may1989 says:

But RA, I don’t see this as being emotional on his part at all, quite the opposite – Usmanov’s always talked about wanting negative control or a blocking position at Arsenal, which is what his 27% gets him; while there was a stalemate between Fiszman, Bracewell-Smith, Usmanov and Kroenke, that didn’t mean much, as there was always the “will he won’t he” of which of Kroenke and Usmanov would go for outright ownership. But now there is a single majority shareholder, Usmanov can be mega hard-nosed and, if he’s patient, get a huge pay-off by threatening to block special resolutions of the company when they are needed.

That will be at the cost of the club, since negative control effectively means holding the club (or more accurately, the company) to ransom as to the way it manages itself. Which is one of the reasons why I have never understood why other fans have supported Usmanov. With Kroenke, there is a chance his commercial interests and our interests as fans will coincide; with Usmanov there is much less chance of that happening, because, as he’s always made clear, he wants to leverage his stake for the maximum return.

Usmanov can afford to sit on his investment and wait for Kroenke to come to him with the best, most eye-watering price. Kroenke, who may well only have moved now due to Fiszman’s health problems, will see no urgency in getting Usmanov out, and will probably wait. But he will need to deal with it at some point. The only game changer I can see in all this is if Usmanov needs the cash for something else; then he would want to cash in. I vaguely recall his last rich list entry showing that he had suffered a hit in 2009 but had recovered from that and is now as rich as he’s ever been. If that’s right, this battle could well be a slow-burner.

67. Carlito11 says:

26/RA/WG/GiE- thank you all for helping me understand not only what is going on but also the potential ramifications. Much clearer now!

68. Red Arse says:

26,

Who knows? You could be right, but I remain unconvinced.

His only ‘buyer’ in the future, if he refused Kroenke’s bid offer, is ,,,, kroenke. No one else would buy a ‘dead’ investment. So it would be one hell of a risk to take with the best part of £200m at stake, by relying on being hard nosed with another hard nosed businessman.

Anyway, if Usmanov wanted to pull out, in the future, because he needed the money for some other project/investment, that would leave him vulnerable to Kroenke who would then offer him peanuts for his shares.

No, I don’t see him turning down a nice little profit, now, for speculative goodies in some unknown future.

As an accountant I just do not buy it. Usmanov may be a fabulously rich guy, but they are usually very prudent even parsimonious with their own money/investments.

Anyway this is all speculation, let’s see how it pans out.

69. 26may1989 says:

I’ve just realised that Peter Hill-Wood is also selling his relatively small pot of shares to Kroenke. That will end the 93-year connection between the Hill-Wood family and the club. Plus Lady Bracewell Smith’s sale will bring to an end an 73-year connection with the Bracewell Smith/Carr family.

Am no fan of rich buggers, but that makes it quite a day for the club.

70. Red Arse says:

By the way, 26, I never mentioned the deal being based on an emotional response.

That was your friend Robert Peston in the twitter you mentioned. “Usmanov is in no mood to sell his Arsenal stake to Kroenke, says ally. He is livid, feels AFC stitched him up.”

That sounds pretty emotional to me.

But my comment made it clear I do not believe he will make any ‘emotional’ decisions. Business is business! :-)

71. Red Arse says:

I think Hill Wood held only about 0.1% of the issued shares, which is pocket money for him.

He sold out long ago, to David Dein.

72. 26may1989 says:

I think PHW will get £4.7m – I wish Kroenke would pay me that sort of pocket money!

73. Red Arse says:

Sun has gone in and I can now “see” my screen, got to go and save someone some tax, and get paid, so I don’t have the bailiffs in! :-)

74. Red Arse says:

It’s all comparative pocket money, 26, he made a ricket years ago selling his huge stake to Dein for ‘pocket money’ and losing out on hundreds of millions.

The greatest number of shares now in play originally belonged to PHW and his family. Must be a sobering thought even for a wealthy man like him.

Wow! It;s an accountant’s field day on here today.
    Thankyou to all you clever numbers people for making sense of this stuff for the likes of me.

Thanks also Harry. I didn’t get to see much of the game yesterday but after that write-up I feel like I watched every moment.

RA,
    “Usmanov is used to getting his way…..he will not tie up his dosh just out of spite.”
    Perhaps not, but he may well tie up anyone who does get in his way. If I were in that particular “livid” man’s way, I would do a Gadaffi, and never sleep in the same bed twice!

Great write-up, Harry.

Love the photo of Manuel and Jens practising pushing the striker out of the way at a corner, too.

Didn’t hear this yesterday, but saw RA’s comment so had a look.

78. Red Arse says:

Hi Chas, :-)

So my hearing is poor. They were not singing ‘effing’! :-)

79. I’m really busy chaps for the next couple of hours. Rocky has asked to be excused a post for tomorrow as he’s very busy too so I’m begging for a post for tomorrow. Any of you clever grown ups want to write about poor Mr Usmanov and his predicament or how the take-over will benefit/or not our club. Doesn’t have to include evrything just a couple of points would be good.

I’ll not be around to answer emails so if you could flag your intentions up on the blog to save having 4 articles – I wish ;)

Back in a bit …………..

80. Harry says:

Evening All, nothing worse than doing a match point under the gun and then working all the next day away from my laptop……..grrrrrrrrr.

GIE: Are all your wifes socks done now? lol……..Glad you feel justified, high praise indeed..

Rasp:Sorry about your breakfast…….

Thanks for all the great comments, Micky especially liked yours……

Just never know if they work or not and as usual I had little notice, but couldnt let you guys down…….

Sidcupsid: Throw your season ticket my way fella, my love for arsenal is unconditional…….Cannot imagine for 1 sec life without the greatest team the world has ever seen……I might have an opinion on who owns us, but I wouldnt leave because of it, your choice mate………

Regards the young guns:
    Lansbury will be in the first team squad next year, he is another romford pele…

There are others who should make it, Chuks Aneke, Myiachi, Afobe and Botelho are the ones I have high hopes for, I would like to see Coquelin make it as well…..

81. Harry says:

GIE, your turn?

Oh dear,
    Me write about “Poor Mr Usmanov”, and have AA Towers visited by the men in black? Best not!

83. Gooner in Exile says:

Have you got a post peaches? I have some free time….wife is on cupcake course…..yum yum….and I was just about to sit down and have done me time.

84. Red Arse says:

GIE says he is chomping at the bit to get on your good side Peachy.

He knows more about Silent Stan and Usmanov than anyone else on earth! (He paid me £5 to say that —- anything but those bloody socks Harry!).

Hi GiE,

You are the only one offering at the moment – so go for it :P

86. Red Arse says:

GIE,

Hope you have done some swotting, because 26 will be keeping an eagle eye on your factual content! :-)

87. Gooner in Exile says:

Bugger facts i’m going to just put allegedly in front of every sentence.

88. Red Arse says:

Man after my own heart GIE. :-)

Go for it.

Anyway, Evonne says he is nice, well very nice and polite, and I would not argue with her. :-)

GiE,
    “Bugger facts i’m going to just put allegedly in front of every sentence” Love it :-)

Some say Micky is off now.
    Sources close to Micky believe this might be true.

I have spent several hours reading about the implications of this takeover and one thing bothers me.
    As the major share holder he could take dividends (something never done before) but i believe he is in for the long term, bringing the team to America, expanding TV rights world wide for Arsenal and then eventually selling at a handsome profit.

How he will raise the cash as yet has not been explained,though e emphasises that there will be no debt incurred to the club.

92. Gooner in Exile says:

Trust me to pick a post that needs some research!!! Learning interesting nuggets of info.

93. Gooner in Exile says:

Regarding Financials admittedly being a private company might mean they don’t have to be as upfront about facts and figures.

But as a large UK company it will still be required to produce accounts to Companies House and I dont think they will be given any exemptions unless of course there is something for foreign owned that I am unaware of.

94. harry says:

beats ironing lol

95. London says:

Top match report Harry, really enjoyed it.

GIE ……

As an airplane is about to crash, a female passenger jumps up frantically and announces, “If I’m going to die, I want to die feeling like a woman.”

She removes all her clothing and asks, “Is there someone on this plane who is man enough to make me feel like a woman?”

A man stands up, removes his shirt and says, “Here, iron this!”.

97. London says:

Your a braver man than me BR, the Raven Haired Warrior Princess will be unleashing hell any moment.

Liverpool are currently destroying City 3 nil and Tevez is off with a hammy and so will miss the FA cup semi.

That is not good news Rasp.

Two reasons. Spurs have a better chance of 4th and MU the treble.

London. I get braver the further I am from the danger.

Agreed Raddy, I suppose it give us a bigger gap over City but I wouldn’t want to give totnum any encouragement. The word is that ‘arry will rest players for the home leg against Real to have them fresh to play us. We have 3 games in 7 days and they have a 7 day rest.

102. Irishgunner says:

According to the twitter feeds at the meeting, Usmanov twice offered more for Lady Nina’s shares than Kroenke and twice she turned him down on the grounds she had agreed terms with Kroenke

From the performance of Liverpool tonight, our upcoming game is going to be very tough, they are totally bossing MC

104. SharkeySure says:

Harry, a truly majestic write up, and the effort you’ve clearly put into it, is very obvious to me. Well played.

105. Tut tut tut BigRaddy ….. and you the Liberal ;)

Gooner in Exile – what a fine man you are. The beers are on me on Sunday, what did I do before I had you and Harry to nab for posts :D

106. Irishgunner says:

A woman’s place is in the kitchen – fact.

Luckily I’m more of a bitch and less of a woman.

107. Gooner In Exile says:

I was thinking that myself Peaches!

i warn you this has turned into a dissertation!

108. Can you split it into two parts GiE?

109. Hi Irish – a womans place is wherever she wants to be :lol:

110. Irishgunner says:

That sounds raunchy Peaches :lol:

111. Gooner In Exile says:

Its winging its way!

112. 26may1989 says:

Dealing with Suares, Carroll, Kuyt and Meireles on this form on Saturday would be a serious issue, they look great, though City’s defending is helping them. (Just when did Kuyt become this good?)

But Liverpool are still blowing hot and cold: they’ve beaten Chelsea, United and now City in that time but have also lost to West Brom, West Ham and Braga.

Aside from our weekend issues, it’s great to see City get mullered, I’d be delighted if their cheating cash leads to a failure to get into the CL.

113. SharkeySure says:

“k) Botelho sent off in 84th min for Cartagena”

But at least he started the game !! Hopefully he was sent off for something quite vicious and he’ll bring a bit of steel and aggression with him when/if he returns in the summer.

You know what they say about every cloud ;-)

114. Harry says:

London, Thank you……

SharkeySure…..Cheers, I enjoy writing them to be honest…

BR: Cracking Joke…..

Peaches: Yeah just what did you do? and I see my description of you is taking off, my raven haired warrior princess……..

115. Evonne says:

Harry – keep on writing then, they are great read!

Sh*tty result last night, Scoucers on the high, ManCity on their knees will roll over for United

116. Gooner in Exile says:

Rumours abound that we are close to a deal for Yann M’villa defensive midfielder, 21 (natch), French (natch). Must be easy for Press hacks, find a young French player and link him to Arsenal!

I know many of us are hoping for a bit of winning grit to be bought but with some of the team reaching mid to late twenties it will be youth to fill holes we haven’t got in our Youth teams.

117. Evonne says:

Takeover question – do you guys think that the there will be a greater accountability at the Club? Will AW be answering to the Board or directly to Kroenke?

Morning all,
    This is not a joke. Need two tickets for sunday!!

119. Evonne says:

Micky – ha ha ha :)

GiE,
    M’villa? Don’t like his name, so its a NO from me.

121. Gooner in Exile says:

Evonne having read up a bit on Kroenke it seems he will allow the club to run as it always has so I guess that’s to the Board.

Kroenkes statements (which can be found on BBC website) are supportive of manager and also of the existing board….he thanks them for allowing him to take a more prominent role. That’s a nice touch “allowing him” which makes it sound like he asked nicely.

By the way news is Szczesney fit for Sunday.

Looking at Liverpool last night would love JD to be back too, they looked very good going forward last night but we should be able to take advantage of their high line (should they play the same way at the Emirates.)

122. Gooner in Exile says:

:D Micky I do partly blame AW for lack of singing at Emirates as he keeps buying players with names we can’t rhyme!

Still think this one should run:

“When I find myself in times of trouble Arsene Wenger came to me, speaking words of wisdom Diaby Diaby”

Evonne,
    You may laugh, but out of curiosity, I looked at Online Ticket Agency. £700 for 2 Row 20 Upper!!!!

124. Gooner in Exile says:

There was one on the exchange for £50 and one for around £60-70 Micky. Impossible to get two together so I’m staying at home for this one.

Or you can sit in the plush ones at £215 per seat.

125. Evonne says:

GIE – yes, I have read a couple of articles more or less along the same lines; well, let’s hope he will not start meddeling in team’s affairs.

I forgot we are playing Liverpool this weekend and was stupidly cheering each time they scored :( What an idiot I am :( They looked very good, enjoying themselves, Carrol and Suarez are seriously dangerous. Mind you, City had no defence whatsoever. I hate that Yaya Toure – he refused to join us and then went for big dollar

GiE, :-)
    Trying to think, who was the young bloke about four years ago with the really cool double barrelled name?

127. Evonne says:

Micky – ha ha ha :) Phone Samaritans on …… or my shrink 0208- **** There are too many Scoucers in London DYING to see King Kev

128. Evonne says:

King Ken of course

GiE,
    I am not a red member, so cannot use ticket exchange.

130. Evonne says:

Micky – I am red, do you want me to try?

Just editing Gooner in Exile’s excellent post.

micky – do you want seats together?

Evonne,
    I guess it was inevitable that someone would lob the Samaritains thing back my way. :-)

133. Evonne says:

Micky – checked the exchange, a couple of singles but not together, at £70 each

GiE,
    “Looking at Liverpool last night would love JD to be back”…I say sod the CB’s, with Liverpool strike force on that kind of form, me thinks two brickies, some cement and lots of those hard oblong thingies!

Evonne thanks. I need two together. Its an English chum over from NY so really want two together. Pretty much any price, but not £700. Off for 40 mins.

136. There’s a pair in Club level £215 each

Good morning accountants everywhere. :)

There are reports that Robin laid into Diaby at half time on Sunday over his stupid booking for kicking the ball away, threatening the first half’s good work with another potential sending off a la Newcastle away.

Is this why we came out for the 2nd half with lead in our boots?

138. Good for Robin I say but why was it left to him to do it, why wasn’t AW waiting to give him a blast of harsh words?

Maybe they all get a dose of Rescue Remedy at half time thats why they come out so chilled :lol:

139. Gooner in Exile says:

Saw that too Chas, he had a go at him on pitch which we all saw. For the press to speculate it continued at half time is easy copy.

I’m not sure RvP is the best man to talk about needless bookings given his silly first half booking at Barca.

Sometimes I’m not sure RvP is good for those around him, when things are not going to plan his body language can be negative.

140. can everyone advise of a good seo producer? there looks to be a flood of them, most people say use who shows up initially in the search engines once you kind in seo that kind of can make sense but I’m not certain. Any improve or guidance will be definetely appreciated. I’ll check back regular for responses.