Those Rose Tinted Glasses and Me

Life is strange; I have just sat and watched the budget and our elected representatives in their place of work. There they were, the guardians of our votes and futures, seemingly incapable of listening to each other. Argue oh yes, quoting the figures and highlighting the same points, anything that apportions blame as directed by the spin-doctors who briefed them.

Members of a tribe every one of them, not an original thought allowed among them. Simply regurgitated negatives or positives depending which tribe they belong to. Mind numbing stuff, but say it often enough and the morons out there who vote us in will believe it.

Sound familiar folks, we read blogs and articles, listen to experts and pundits, pore over Magazines and papers, devour radio and television, produce statistics and facts and now in this digital age, prolong the agony and the ecstasy by publishing them on line in a continuing roller coaster of argument, agreement/disagreement, discontent and sometimes anger. What then is the cause of this mental anguish? Why a professional football club.

Grown men and women unable to agree on what they saw, what is happening and why and what will be the final outcome. All this activity based on the antics of 11 guys who spend their working lives training, practising and up to twice a week, kicking a ball around for a hour and a half in front of thousands of people.

Sounds ridiculous doesn’t it, we watch the politicians with something akin to contempt, thinking if our children acted like that we would sort them out. Then unthinking we turn to AA and begin to air our own prejudices, likes and dislikes and battle is joined again.

Of course we have areas of agreement times of purring contentment and blissful exhilaration and these are enjoyed to the full as the belief floods across the entire fan base.

But now as the season nears it conclusion, animosities and divisions begin to manifest themselves among the faithful, as doubt and despair begin to overtake the more negative of us, made worse by the certain cheerfulness of the positive types, who believe it ain’t over till its over and the manager knows what he is doing anyway.

Nine games to go, second in the league, five points behind the league leaders, a game in hand and they still to come to our place. The potential for a verbal on line war is enormous as the countdown begins, will we, wont we, Can the Spuds do us or will we win the damn thing at WHL as in days of old? Will Chelsea do us a favour and nick some points from Utd whilst continuing their charge up the table? All fascinating stuff, guaranteed to  ruffle the decorum of the blog as we count down the games.

Me I can’t see a problem, why? I have rose tinted glasses, don’t I, Its going to be doddle, sit back folks, pound the keyboard and enjoy the ride to glory.

Written by dandan

73 Responses to Those Rose Tinted Glasses and Me

1. Anthony Timothy says:

I think Arsenal have lost the chance to win the title.Agaginst Sunderland and Albion,four points were squandered. Potential champions don’t trip in such must in games.For this,the finger must be pointed at Wenger.Granted he might win the title and be vindicated but frankly it’s a long shot.
    To depend on others to take points off the red faced is day dreaming.Wenger must know his tactics have been neutralised the last five years and if he carries on in the same manner,is it any wonder the gunners are perpetually beaten.

2. Red Arse says:

Morning Dandan, :-) a really classy and original Post. :-)

Your analysis of the behaviour of politicians in a ‘party’ democracy is sadly all too true. Throughout history, in every country, the few with a self interested agenda, knowing what is best for the rest, yeah right, have convinced the masses to chose sides and then bash the hell out of each other, until the ‘winning’ few can rule at their behest!

I wonder tho’, if there isn’t a fundamental difference between those political shenanigans and football blogs, in that politicians conform to the partyline, right or wrong, whereas bloggers don’t give a stuff and each one has his/her own independent ideas and opinions, however correct or outlandish.

That is perhaps both the beauty and the curse of blogland!! :-)

dandan,
    Many words, and all in the right order. Well done, and thanks.
    The great beauty of me being an Arsenal Fan, is that I am always right, and cannot be voted out!
    Anthony Timothy,
    How can we possibly not win all our remaining fixtures, and therefore be Champions?

4. Red Arse says:

London,

I had to write this before I forget. I wish I had been able to join you and Sharkey in your exchanges last evening.

You do not need me to tell you that you are a well respected, thru’ and thru’ Gooner, with Arsenal in your DNA. Your comments are incisive, well thought out and based on experience which can provoke interesting discourse. :-)

What I would like to compliment you for is the really humourous side you showed in your comments yesterday. I loved the following, especially.

— ‘At the Emirates I sit next to someone who would start a fight with anyone who says a bad word about Walcott and he is a darn sight bigger than me, this may make you laugh when you consider how sceptical I am about Walcott.

I wish I wasn’t but sceptical I am. I cheer him like a demon at the games though mostly out of fear; I go to football with old school nutters, its best to go with the flow.’

That is brilliant! More please! :-)

(for clarity, were you referring to Peaches and Rasp?) :-) :-)

Morning RA.

Zooming out.

7. Wonderman says:

Great thought provoking post Dandan. I am of the ‘never give up until it is over’ camp. If most gooners were told in August that with 9 games to go we would be in this position , I would guess they would thave taken it. I dont believe Wenger is always right, and he makes mistakes just like we all do. But I just dont understand the mindset of those supporters who espouse doom and gloom when we are still in with a chance, success and failure are two sides of the same coin with sometimes a very fine line between the two.

@Anthony Timothy we are not ‘depending on others to take points off the reds’ at the moment if we win our remaining 9 games we are champions …simples . So many things can happen between now and then but lets be positive…afterall it doesnt hurt or cost a penny

8. Red Arse says:

Wonderman, :-) spot on sir!

Morning Micky :-)

RA,
    Will Ferrari win this year?

10. Wonderman says:

Morning RA,

I Despair, 2007/08 was the last time we had the opportunity to win the league dependent on our own results, and yet there are still people who can find a pre emptive negative !!!!

11. Red Arse says:

Wonderman,

It beats me.

For some the glass is half full, for others ….
    Personality traits clearly affect all of us, one way or the other.

I know someone who always fears the worst. So that if the worst happens it does not hurt so much. Conversely, if the best, and not the worst, happens they can rejoice and forget their negativity.

It’s what I call the ‘cry before you are hit’ syndrome.

For me, I know life can kick you in the ghoulies but it can also be brilliant, live it, enjoy the experience, and see how things pan out.

There is everything to play for. :-)

Micky, I am a big Louis Hamilton/Jenson Button fan so ‘come on McLaren’! Of course, if they switched to Ferrari I would say ‘come on Ferrari’!

Unlike football, I do not give a stuff about the car, I follow the driver(s). What a tart, eh? :-)

RA,
    I understand. My problem is that Ferrari are the only real car (engine et al) as well as my father once telling be that back in the Fangio era, Ferrari were leading by several laps and so decided to bring their cars in, clean them, so that they “looked good” crossing the line. That did it for me! Also a tart! Mind you, give me an English driver in a Ferrari.
    Back out. Day off and sun. Spot on Chary.

13. 26may1989 says:

Hello everyone. Apols for recent absence, just been very busy (and with this bleedin international break, not feeling very football right now).

Dandan, nice post – like you, I have a splendid pair of rose-tinted specs. Much more pleasant wearing those than those dark doom and gloom numbers. I long ago gave up on onlinegooner.com when it became dominated by unremitting and unrealistic negativity. It’s not just a case of disagreeing with that view (I love a good argument) but it was the unrelenting tide of ill thought through criticism, as if our club had done a Leeds. In the end, I just couldn’t be arsed wading through it all.

I love bland generalisations like this from Anthony Timothy at the top of the chain: “Potential champions don’t trip in such must win games” as vs Sunderland and West Brom. Now I was as disappointed as anyone that we dropped points, but a quick check of the history books shows how wrong AT’s generalisation is.

Just looking at the March to May period of the last six seasons (three titles won by each of United and Chelsea), we can see the champions dropping plenty of points to lesser sides like Birmingham, Middlesbrough, Newcastle, Aston Villa, Everton, Blackburn, West Ham, Fulham and Portsmouth. In 2009 United even managed to lose 4-1 at home to Liverpool in their charge to the title.

Everyone drops points in the run-in. Of course, it’s harder for us to win the title having drawn our last two games, that’s obvious. But to say it’s already gone because of those games is plain wrong.

I still think we’ll win the title, but it’s going to be very tight.

14. Red Arse says:

Welcome back, 26, :-)

Very sage comment.

26,
    And you will remember that nice easy run-in at the end of the ’89 season. Two home wins against Derby and Wimbledon and the title was ours!!
    Off again.

dandan is a positive person and has the added advantage that some others have on here of following the Arsenal for many years through thick and thin. That possibly makes him always positive regardless of the outcome of any game.

It is in ones genes to be positive or negative in all walks of life and positive people do not on the whole give knee jerk reactions.Is that maturity, as maturity comes to some early in life, to others later in life and to many never at all.

Having experienced being extremely positive and often in recent years fighting the negativity I admire him and many others, and envy his thought pattern when discussing all things, including the love of all are lives ….The Arsenal

17. 26may1989 says:

Absolutely right Micky, I was at both those games in 89, and there was definitely a view that our chance had gone. How wrong we were.

18. Red Arse says:

Hi Kelsey, :-)

Just popped in again, before finishing some overdue work! :-)

Good to see you. You are right about Dandan, always positive and a true Gooner, in my opinion too!

See you later.

26,
    I too was there for both and it was a grim atmosphere at the end, but even in the 90th minute of THAT match, I screamed that we only need “one chance!”

Out again.

I have very little patience for clouds during daylight hours. Thay are not cute and they are not clever.

22. Evonne says:

Dandan – big thank you to you and others for lending me your rose tinted glasses. I have been very negative lately and listening to even more negative so-called-supporters, until Peaches had introduced me to this blog. And most of my doubts, negativity and resentment towards the Club have disappeared… I have been suffering from depression for many years now….if I knew about you guys sooner I would save myself a fortune on money paid to shrink 
    26 hit it on the nail – bland generalisations.

Also 26 – I hate the bleeding international breaks too! I bet you guys support England, but I just cannot do it – I cannt cheer for JT, Lampart or English players from Mancunia

23. 26may1989 says:

A timely parallel from cricket (apols to Irish if she’s reading….) for the “ain’t over till it’s over” principle: New Zealand have just beaten South Africa in the World Cup, bowling the Saffers out for 172, knocking the last 8 wickets over for 64 runs. Ignore the detail if cricket bores you but New Zealand showed guts, belief, concentration and intelligence to win from a losing position. If Arsenal show those qualities over the next 9 matches, we can win the league. Believe!

And you’re right Evonne, I do support England despite seeing Rooney, Terry and that little tosser, Ashley Cole, in white shirts. It sticks in the throat sometimes, but you can’t choose can you?? Despite the allegiances though, I find international football boring, low quality and inconsequential. Like many football fans, I care much more about my club than I do my country.

But I will watch tonight to see Ramsey vs Wilshere, looking forward to that!

Have you put your clocks forward yet, 26? :)

25. Red Arse says:

Sacre Bleu, 26.

I watched Formula 1 from the early hours, and then had breakfast while watching New Zealand making a pigs ear of the first few overs. 16 for 2.

See, I do understand it! :-)

I saw they (NZ) had made a paltry below par score of 224 (?), and then over lunch saw the Sarf Afrikans, (Jacques Kallis) heaving the ball about like goodoh.

So I admit the news you have imparted is strange indeed. Up until now the best (strangest) games have involved a topsy turvy England side.

Quite enjoying it all!

What’s your prediction for tomorrow? Actually, stow that, who can predict England cricket matches? :-)

This from Anthony Timothy is classic, “is it any wonder the gunners are perpetually beaten”. Perpetually beaten, ffs.

Nice post, dandan. I verge wildly between half full and half empty, myself, but find it impossible to fathom those that have given up while it’s all still possible.

27. 26may1989 says:

Ha ha, quite right Chas! Tomorrow, I meant to write tomorrow for the Ramsey v Wilshere clash – I told you I don’t care much about internationals though, you can’t blame me if I get the details wrong!

Reminds me of the time I turned up to Highbury for a match, only to discover I was there 24 hours early!

28. Red Arse says:

Chas,

Rocky and GN5 can confirm that in America and Canada they have already put the clocks forward, on the 1st March.

Actually, where are they, and Dandan, Sharkey and London et al. I’ve given up on Peaches and Rasp. (shouldn’t that be Cream?) :-)

RA, I was either early on AA this morning or very late on Carlito’s post. It all depends on your perspective.

I enjoyed Sharkey and London’s exchange last night too. ‘We all watch the same games’, after all. :)

30. 26may1989 says:

And RA, I’d be shocked if it were anything other than a Sri Lanka win. They’re a much better one day side than we are, and have some amazing indivdual players. That said, they don’t like playing at home, and perhaps England will feel they got lucky after all the group stage games.

For pyjama cricket it has been fun though. Formula 1 though, seriously?! Can’t understand that one!

Haha, 26, I once turned up for a game at Highbury only to find out it had been postponed earlier in the day. Felt a right pillock.

I’ve loved watching the England cricket games I’ve seen this time around. Some really entertaining stuff. I fear Malinga the Slinger will be a little too fierce for England tomorrow though.

33. 26may1989 says:

Another annoying thing about international football: what is this bollocks about calling up players for both the senior and U21 sides? It buggered up Walcott before and now Stuart Pearce is doing it again with Wilshere. As Wenger says, once a player is in the senior side, that ought to be the end of U21 football.

U21 football is a development exercise, nothing else, so why the hell would you want to overuse players like Wilshere and Carrol in order to prevent other players getting a chance to develop? It doesn’t happen with other countries, why the hell does it happen here?

The whole management set-up at England is rubbish, from Capello down they’re poor.

34. dandan says:

Evening all, thanks for your kind comments, sorry I haven’t been around I have a poorly wife.

Aaron captain of Wales, is that a sign of things to come for us, I wonder what JW would say about that.

Evonne don’t let the negatives get to you love. Our day is comming even if it turns out to be not this year although I think somehow it will be Give this a little thought

It’s not just what you’re born with
    It’s what you choose to bear

It’s not how big your share is
    But how much you can share

And it’s not the fights you dreamed of
    But those you really fought

It’s not what you’ve been given
    It’s what you do with what you’ve got

I think we will do alright our young men are maturing

35. 26may1989 says:

Just a point of detail re Dandan’s excellent post – I don’t think we can win the league at WHL, it’s too early. I think (but could be wrong) if United lost all their games before we play them and we won all of ours, the first time we could win the league would be when they play at our place. Slightly hopeful thinking there……

36. dandan says:

Actually 26 I didn’t mean win it that day, rather that the spuds will be breaking their necks to stop us at the lane and if we do come away with three points we can say, that’ll do nicely Mr Lillywhite. They will go ballistic :-)

37. 26may1989 says:

A nice thought DD!

38. Evonne says:

Dandan – that’s a very beautiful verse, thank you once again. I am sure that once we win the league and the CL next year, I will be cured from my depression :)
    I turned up for a game 4 hours earlier once, it was the first game of the season and I could not wait any longer. So there I was, with my brand new shirt, programme in my hand and biting my nails….Finally the game began and Jens sprung into action – do you remember that howlere in 2007? I still don’t know how I did not die then and there

39. Red Arse says:

Sorry to hear about your poorly Mrs, Dandan, hope she gets better soon.

I think we can look forward to years of friendly competition between Aaron and Jack, both internationally (Jack will win that :-) ) and at Arsenal …… hmmm, don’t know who will come out on top there. Aaron is more mature, and Jack can be a little naughty, altho’ every one is at that age!! :-)

40. Wonderman says:

Hi Dandan I like that little prose

41. Red Arse says:

I drove to a game some years ago (Highbury) from Gloucestershire.

The weather was fine and sunny when I started out, but as I neared London there was some snow on the ground and it was cold.

I triumphantly arrived at my usual parking place and walked to the ground but was perplexed to see so few other fans around.

My heart sank as I arrived at the West Stand gates to see them firmly shut. Apparently the game had been called off at 1 p.m. because the pavements surrounding the ground were dangerous to fans on foot.

In fairness it had been announced on the radio and TV, while I was blithely listening to my bl**dy CD’s.

It was only a little bit of snow, for goodness sake, and dangerous my arse!!

An eight hour round trip for nothing! :-(

Sorry to hear you have not been well Evonne, hope you are OK at the mo’. :-)

42. Red Arse says:

Dandan has got me back to poetry I like. :-)

I love all beauteous things,
    I seek and adore them;
    God hath no better praise,
    And man in his hasty days
    Is honoured for them.

I too will something make
    And joy in the making!
    Altho’ tomorrow it seem’
    Like the empty words of a dream
    Remembered, on waking.

Robert Bridges. Lovely eh? :-)

43. Red Arse says:

Of course, if I was a lawyer I might go for more sophisticated stuff! :-)

A Limerick Limerick

There was a young man from Limerick
    Who bought a rhyming dictionary
    ‘Well fuck a duck
    That’s just my luck
    I’ll have to move to Tiperarry’

Subtle, eh? :-)

44. Red Arse says:

Oh, OK, I’ll bugger off then. What’s the phrase, –sent to Coventry?

RA, why lawyer?

46. Red Arse says:

Chas, just a sly dig at my friend 26! :-)

47. Red Arse says:

Well, as you all loved my poetry???? :-)

Here’s my last word.

A Sad Song about a Parrot

Jasper the parrot sat on his perch,
    Abandoned at the alter, left in the lurch,
    Gave his heart to a flighty mynah bird,
    Said she’d marry him, gave him her word.

But then she met a rooster in the barn,
    He told her the story, told her the yarn,
    She then went to Jasper, said, Sorry, my Jock,
    I really like you but I’m going for the cock.

Ahh, the empathy. :-(

RA. 4hrs from Glos to London? Were you on a bicycle?

I lived in the Cotswolds for 10 years and commuted to London, won’t tell you what my record was for the 101 miles from work to home ;-)

49. Red Arse says:

Sodding snow decided to whizz in behind me Raddy. Not nice.

I was stopped, incredibly by a cop car. He swept past me and disappeared. He then popped up on the hard shoulder ‘hiding’ behind a lorry/truck and pulled me over.

Said he had caught me on his backward facing radar going at 20 mph, and asked me if I needed help!!

Ha bloody ha!! Almost gave me apoplexy, but actually it was funny, and he then told me conditions ahead were deteriorating and he suggested I got off the motorway because of accidents 10 miles out.

50. Gooner in Exile says:

Quality post DanDan, I think you are right about the warring parties, there are the Arsene Knows Best, and the Arsene Knows Nowt brigades, then in the middle applying reason and diplomacy is yet again the silent majority, trying to go about our supporting the way we always have, and that is “make your choice, get what your given” pragmatism that in the main pervades this site. Which is in my opinion a bloody good thing.

51. Gooner in Exile says:

Peaches has had her whip out so I’m off to write a post :)

52. Evonne says:

Red Arse – you are hillarious, thanks mate

GIE – will your post be another poem? That’d be nice….

Red Arse – have you tried writing ‘songs’ or chants for us? There are some good golden oldies, but nothing compare to the Scousers. I wish we had our own athem and some good chants. Go on, Red Arse – now that you are in the poetic mode – go for it!

53. Gooner in Exile says:

I’m an accountant Evonne, poetic licence is not our strong point, well until we raise the Invoice anyway.

Peaches gave me a theme and I tried to write it. Tricky one but hopefully it works.

54. 26may1989 says:

RA, did you really try to rhyme “dictionary” with “Tiperarry”?!! Shocking!

55. Thanks GiE, I’ve just tucked it into drafts ready for the morning.

It’s now my birthday so I’m off to bed to wish for the safe return of all our players on International duty and for the footballing gods to smile on our team for the remainder of the season.

56. Gooner in Exile says:

Happy Birthday Peaches….21 and never been kissed :)

57. Evonne says:

Peaches, Happy Birthday to you,
    Happy Birthday to you,
    Happy Birthday dear Peaches
    Happy Birthday to you!!! xxxxx

58. Evonne says:

GIE – looking forward to your post

Have a great birthday peaches.

May all your birthday wishes come true.

60. Evonne says:

Chas – that’s a selfish wish :) You know what would make Peaches REALLY happy

61. London says:

Good morning and happy birthday Peaches

62. Morning early-birds

Thank you for all your birthday wishes :)

63. Doh I’ve already put todays post into drafts …… I could have stayed in bed for a bit longer :roll:

A very happy Birthday Peaches. May you year be filled with adventure.

Could this be another record….?

This week Arsenal have 4 players who are their National Captains

Aaron Ramsey
    Samir Nasri
    Andrei Arshavin
    Tomas Roscicky

And when fit, Vermaelen is Belgium’s Cpt which would make 5!!

And people say we lack Leaders ….

66. Evonne says:

Big Raddy – well spotted!

67. Red Arse says:

Good morning all, :-) and happy birthday Peaches! :-)

68. Rasp – are you in the post, sorry I just F5’d and may have lost what you were doing :oops:

Happy Birthday peaches, not long for the bus pass ;)

Kelsey. You know how to charm a lady!

Morning peaches, Many Happy Returns :P

It’s ok, the changes I’ve made are still in the post.

72. Do they give bus passes out at 30 then :P