Arsenal – Cannon Fodder?

Aura and Grrrr

Written by mickydidit89

I think we, The Arsenal, need a new Aura.

Now, we are not Chavs, so we will not simply pop out to Harrods and buy the most expensive one available. No, because remember we have Class, and while that is something quite tricky to define, we all know that we have the stuff in abundance. As a club it does have much to do with breeding, but also about the way in which we conduct ourselves. However, I believe during different eras of our long and proud history, we have donned more than one type of Aura. We have moved on from the greased back “we’ve got bigger shorts than you”  Chapman years, through to the nine pints of Lager “what are you looking at” Graham era, and this begs the question as to  what type of Aura are we sporting now. Well, I happen to believe that it has become slightly too shiny, and most definitely a little too slippers-and-cigars comfortable. I think we need a little more Grrr about the house, and a little less “no, after you sir”.

“Well Micky, all this Arsenal and class bollocks. So you really do think you are above the rest of us then?”. “ Well, errr, yes actually”, but what is this based on? Thinking about the class thing, at Highbury we had The Marble Halls for example. Is the fact that the other lot have mere concrete and lino floors good enough reason to look down on them. I happen to think it is, but then I have a thing about flooring materials. The Halls kind of dealt with the Class bit in a physical way, which enabled us to flirt with Grrr, whilst always having the Posh bit to fall back on. Now we have gone all Carpets and Diamond Clubs we need more than ever to counter balance this with some unique Arsenal style of Grrr.

It is time to roughen the edges of our Aura.

Now many here will remember the marching band before kick off at Highbury. I do understand that this idea is dated. I also remember them trying to introduce Majorettes and thinking “no, this is all wrong”. So, what’s to be done? Firstly, it has to be bye bye to that bloody Dinnasorous thing. What kind of soppy message does that send out. Hardly a call to arms is it.

So, here it is, my brilliant suggestion, and I did not need to look far to realize the answer was right before me.  Cannons. We are The Gunners and proudly have the Cannon on our crest. So how about four 24-pounder Howitzer Cannons (these boys are VERY VERY loud) positioned at the four corners of the pitch. We fire them off as the teams hit the field, then every time we score. Believe me, we will get used to it, the opposition on the other hand will be needing clean shorts.

Now I realize that The Lunatic Fringe of Islington Council Health and Safety Department will be less than impressed, but you know what, sod ‘em.

What do you reckon?

103 Responses to Arsenal – Cannon Fodder?

Micky.

What a brilliant suggestion.

Listen to the beginning of Hells Bells by AC/Dc. Start with the Bells and then the Cannon’s and then the Guitar riff ….. spine tingling.

2. I’ll sign up to that Radders/Micky – although I suggest the later bit of “For those about to rock” where they do actually have cannons firing off.
    Now that would set us up for a fight in every match.

Excellent, at last someone talking sense on this sorry excuse for a blog. When we play manure, we should load the cannons with custard pies and aim them at Fergie’s face when we score :P

Chary. I though of that too, but the bells ringing at the start of Hells Bells would tell the beer drinkers that it was time to get into their seats – a bit like the 3 rings at the theatre. and with the very loud sound system at the Grove they would reverberate all around Islington

5. king gooner says:

absolutely 100% brill idea!we need an identity at the new ground-not that f***g useless pa trying to drum up enthusiasm by getting the crowd to shout out players names-totally embarrasing!& bring back the band-why not?it shows tradition,a bit of class,any old shit stadia can bang out dj crap!(& elvis-pleassseee)used to love seeing whether the band leader would drop the baton or not as a kid!seriously-send this off to the pr dept or whoever(whether you’re joking or not)the stadium would have the perfect name as “the armoury”but that alas is never going to happen,due to sponsorship-for me agreat idea-giving a cannon blast every we time we score would be hilarious & seriously piss the opp off-but as you say the pc squad at the council will try & justify their jobs by elbowing it..

6. Evonne says:

Yeah, load them with lasagne for Tottenham!! Pizza for Fergie please! Great idea Micky. When you are at it perhaps you should suggest a replacement to that awful ‘The wonder of you!, that’s so soooo sad

Evonne, I was thinking we should load the cannons with some of that brown steaming smelly stuff that I always tread in walking back to the station to fire in ‘arry’s face

Morning all,
    king gooner,
    I am absolutely serious. The Cannon is an ever present part of our history. Lets use it. Better than having a bloom’in Chicken!!!

9. Evonne says:

Rasp – stop!!!

Morning micky,

I agree with you about the Cannon. Do you remember a few months ago I suggested that the club should award a Cannon Heart Badge (more VC than Blue peter badge) to anyone who shows an exceptional level of support to the club? I made a graphic of it which I will post on the blog later.

Evonne – there’s mileage in these suggestions for ammunition. We could fire P45’s at Mancini, sheep at Mark Hughes, nothing at Steve Bruce – have you seen the state of his nose already? etc. etc. the scope is endless

Rasp. I thought that was a fine idea. Did you forward it to the Marketing Dept?

13. Oh right Radders, I see where you’re going now with the bells.
    Do you remember the cover of the “For those about to rock” LP? It always reminds me of our beloved club.

No Raddy, maybe I should have. My daughter got a nice cast medal for completing the charity run at the weekend so its not beyond the means of the club, I just feel that they must be swamped with ‘helpful suggestions’ so mine would just be added to the pile.

15. Gooner in Exile says:

Outstanding idea. And generally agree with the sentiments and please can we do away with bloody Elvis, the fans are never going to sing it, fans adopt songs that they want not what’s forced on them.

I hate to say it but Stoke had a better pre match on the screen than us, and on a tinpot audio system to boot.

It was a drum and bass style track with a real building crescendo going on, whilst on it played several clips of moments in their history interspersed with people (fans) giving their memories of the action described. It got me excited for the game, it even gave me a few hairs on the back of my neck (and the moments meant nothing to me!)

And while were at it would they please stop playing “we’re the North Bank/We’re the Clock End” over the bloody tannoy pre match, it’s louder than fans in the ground, it’s not again something that should be lead by the powers that be, if people sitting in North and South stands now actually chose to be there rather than just sitting where they could get a ticket maybe it would happen, the great thing about the cross ground rivalry at Highbury was the rival ends, asking if you could gear the Clock End sing followed by them starting a song of their own and vice versa, I even remember sometimes where we managed to get a few in Eadt Lower to start “We’re the East Stand”, never could get them going in the West Stand though.

Agreed Chary but …

our new badge is crap. The old one was class, pure class. Changed by the marketing department because they couldn’t copyright the old cannon.

It was a sad day

17. Yes indeed Radders it was a sad day, when I think of our badge I still refer to the old East-to-West pointing one and not the yoghurt pot label badge we have now.

GIE. It is not beyond the wit of man to use amplification of the singing section to take the sound around the ground, thereby inviting others to join them.

I remember the East Stand singing – always made me smile (though it was only the Lower).

Love all the suggestions for various missiles. Exactly the kind of serious debate I was hoping to promote during these long days. When opposing players feign injury, we could fire hankies.

Condoms at Terry/Rooney

Phones at Ashley

Plaster Casts at Shawcross

Pies at Fat Sam

21. How about fish at Fat Sam, him being a walrus ?

22. jerrin says:

Amazing…i guess we could try that out..since our trophy cabinet is not pulling in new fans, maybe these antics will…

23. tommystout says:

excellent post mickey
    ive long wished for a cannon blasting “For Those About to Rock” entrance, but resident proper cannons would be unreal.
    Maybe red action should be approached about this to introduce the idea to the powers that be, unless Mickey has some sway. :-)
    Cannon blasts for any home goal would be excellent, taking a huge step in the direction of making this stadium the fortress that it should be.

24. Moses Watasa says:

Arsenal are absolute cannon fodder who collapse and get deovoured particularly when the stakes are high. If Sir Alex Ferguson had a choice, he would have opted that Man Utd draw his favourite cannon fodder – Arsenal (other that Chelsea) in the quarter-finals of the Champions League. The gunners are too predictable, one-dimensional, devoid of the winning mentality and lack any fire in their bellies to win especially the must-win matches.I am embarassed disgusted at the ease with which Man Utd lately batter the clueless and easy-to-figure-out Arsenal FC and burnt-out Manager (Arsene Wenger).

Moses Watasa
    Kampala – Uganda

tommystout,
    Micky has little or no “sway” with Mrs Micky let alone Red Action, and while I have no doubt that Mrs M is a considerably more formidable opponent than the massed ranks of Red Action, I will have to leave it to others.
    I have heard Cannons blasted at both the Albert Hall (1812) and Earl’s Court, so I know it is possible.

micky,

On the theme of Arsenal having a ‘classy image’, I’m loving the fact that Brazil play their friendly international games at the Ems.

I love King Gooner’s suggestion of having the ground named “The Armoury”. Talk about revamping our Aura.

Rasp,
    Are you tring to steer us back onto matters Brazilian?
    Congratulations to you daughter. A very worthy cause. Always important to help those less fortunate.

29. tommystout says:

what about renaming it The Battlements – Mickey.
    No doubt our stadium will carry the next sponsers name though :-(

Haha micky, on the subject of trimmimg, we used to we’ve wonderful patterns on the hallowed turf but its just boring stripes these days. I have seen some rather good pitch topiary (chequered etc) at other grounds this season. Obviously for Brazil we should trim it right down to the ground so no pattern is possible :?

31. Red Arse says:

Hi Micky, :-)

Now your talking (well writing) Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture, in E flat major, opus 49 would be classy and fitting .

The canon firing at the crescendo would scare the sh*t out of the opposition! :-)

I thoroughly enjoyed your Post until I got to the end, with a big grin on my mouche, only to realise I had not understand a word of it until I got to the cannons bit! :-) :-) Some achievement!! :-)

Rasp,
    O here we go :-)
    Tommy,
    Yip, like that too. How much did we get for naming it the Emirates and over how many years? Surely, we could find a way of preserving our identity/Aura?

RA,
    Oh come off it. I use short words, and not many of them!

micky, do you remember that old film The Pride and the Passion with Sophia Loren (talking of big cannons :P )

Rasp,
    Ideal. Even bigger than my 24 Ilb’ers! Big is most definately beautiful when it comes to Arsenal Cannons.

I tell you what, I think we are on to something. Some Aura we will have!

37. Red Arse says:

Micky, genuinely meant as a compliment. :-)

So, consider me ‘off it’. :-)

micky
    Absolutely brilliant.
    I would seriously suggest you send the cannons idea to the club.
    And Redders has it right – if we enter the pitch to the 1812 Overture that would be pure class. It’s also a brilliant crescendo ending with the cannon shots.

Micky,
    The hooters are big in that film too :roll:

Hang on Rasp, you’re shifting us from cannons to bazookas…

Hi Rocky,

They have those naff fireworks at the presentation ceremony for the Emirates Cup, so why not some similar incendury device at games? H&S is a nightmare these days, athletes can launch javelins and metal hammers at athletics grounds but footballers can’t wear snoods?

Rocky,

Ah but Sophia Loren – she always reminded me of a dead heat in a zeppelin race when I was an impressionable youth ;)

44. Red Arse says:

Hi Rocky, :-)

The lead into the cannons firing at the climax of the 1812 Overture, mixed with the resounding pealing of the bells of St Peter is intoxicating.

If Micky can get a stereo recording of this into the pre-match Emirates build up as the teams come out we would underline our classy aura for all time! :-)

Rasp
    “a dead heat in a zeppelin race” :)

Wow, slow down RA,
    “If Micky can get a stereo recording of this into the pre-match Emirates”. Micky can do this, Micky can do this. I am but a lowly peasant who sows the seed. You are all men of substance and cunning!

As you are here Rasp,
    Earlier you commented “this sorry excuse for a blog”. You have created without question a great Arsenal Blog, and it is very unique. After all, it houses RA :-)

micky
    I am a man of custard and sunning.

RL :-)

Ah micky that conjures an intriguing picture – AA as a cyber ‘enclosure’ for RA – although in this case I think the lunatics are running the assylum.

RL
    “Maybe we could get Canon (the photocopier people) to be our next ground sponsors…”. Excellent idea.

AA becomes The Arseylum.

Work calls.

54. Talking of bells in classical music, how about the Russian Easter festival overture by Rimski K?

I’m sure our meerkat would appreciate the gesture.

Work calls for me too, but what an entertaining start to the day – thanks to all you fine fellow inmates of the Arseylum.

Sad losses today.

I saw both Elisabeth Taylor and Fred Titmus,.

Ms Taylor was one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen, she was staying at the Savoy and was in the bar at the next table to me.

Fred Titmus was a part of my youth. I went to Lords most weekends in Summer and had the privilege of getting his autograph on a number of occasions. I was in awe of his and tried to bowl like him at school – sadly, I was rubbish at cricket, but loved playing.

57. Gooner in Exile says:

Sad news indeed Raddy.

Arseylum. Very droll.

59. Carlito11 says:

Loving the cannons idea Micky- excellent and should be workable. Not sure how the 1812 overture sounds- can’t access sound on my work computer, but it should inspire Arshavin to great heights!

60. London says:

What a clever angle for a post.

61. dandan says:

Fred Titmus great character, had his toes cut off by a speed boat in the Caribbean from memory, but still remained a clever spin bowler. Frightening when you see many of your heroes passing away.

62. London says:

It is definitely true that we do need more Grrrr……clever observation, very clever.

Hi dandan/London,

dandan,
    They thought that Titmus’ career would be over when he lost 4 toes (very important for the balance) but he came back and was still a first class bowler.

London,
    Tevez and Rooney have plenty of Grrrr – you’re right, we have Jack and Cesc but one or two others could do with an injection.

64. Brigham says:

As an ex Royal Navy Field Gunner the cannons being fired gets my vote unconditionally and would take me back to my youth!

We could even load them up with grape shot for when the knuckledraggers from up the road visit.

65. Red Arse says:

Raddy,

Have just heard an unconfirmed report that Bendy has received an ankle injury training with the Danish squad.

Have you heard anything more concrete over there?

66. king gooner says:

come on let’s make it happen-someone cut/paste it off to ivan gazidis at the club-apparently his into the arsenalization of the club-it would be a huge step in the right direction….also can i correct the idea that the spuds have a chicken on their shirt..correction.it is in fact A COCK.which somes them up perfectly!!who else but a bunch of dicks would support them…

67. Nice one King Gooner.

68. Gooner in Exile says:

I’m a happy chappy today as hopefully I will be spending Easter Sunday feasting on the carcass of Bolton Wanderers at the Reebok.

The ticket info is 3,000 allocation with more available to be given dependent on early sales. Early allocations are for Golds/Silvers/TC Members with +10 away points, then 5+ away points, Red Members get a punt a couple of days later.

I am in Somerset with my not very geographically aware other half on Thursday Friday and Saturday, but have convinced her that we should extend our trip with a visit to Lancashire on Saturday night, before taking in the game on the Sunday.

I might have to treat her to a nice dinner in the area on Saturday night to swing it :D

69. Gooner in Exile says:

Tickets £27 adult, £13 under 16, good day out better than eating shed loads of chocolate

Very stylish GiE – you sure know how to treat a woman :P

71. Gooner in Exile says:

She’s learning about the Arsenal, she’s quite good at a few songs, and knows not to ask too many questions when the game is on…quite probably perfect!

Loving the cannons idea, Micky.

GIE, the Bromilow Arms on Lostock Lane is a great little pub quite close to the Reebok for pre-match beer. You can park on a side road really close too.
    Somerset to Lancashire, eek!

73. Red Arse says:

Your Duck is Dead–

A woman brought a very limp duck into a veterinary surgeon. As she laid her pet on the table, the vet pulled out his stethoscope and listened to the bird’s chest.

After a moment or two, the vet shook his head and sadly said, “I’m sorry, your duck, Quackers, has passed away.”

The distressed woman wailed, “Are you sure?”

“Yes, I am sure. Your duck is dead,” replied the vet.

“How can you be so sure?” she protested. “I mean, you haven’t done any testing on him or anything. He might just be in a coma or something.”

The vet rolled his eyes, turned around and left the room. He returned a few minutes later with a black Labrador Retriever. As the duck’s owner looked on in amazement, the dog stood on his hind legs, put his front paws on the examination table and sniffed the duck from top to bottom. He then looked up at the vet with sad eyes and shook his head.

The vet patted the dog on the head and took it took it out of the room. A few minutes later he returned with a cat. The cat jumped on the table and also delicately sniffed the bird from head to foot. The cat sat back on its haunches, shook its head, meowed softly and strolled out of the room.

The vet looked at the woman and said, “I’m sorry, but as I said, this is most definitely, 100% certifiably, a dead duck.”

The vet then turned to his computer terminal, hit a few keys and produced a bill, which he handed to the woman.

The duck’s owner, still in shock, took the bill, and said, “£150! £150 just to tell me my duck is dead!”

The vet shrugged, “I’m sorry. If you had just taken my word for it, the bill would have been only £20, but with the Lab Report and the Cat Scan, it’s now £150.”

Be careful what you ask for!! :-)

74. Mickeyk says:

Arsenal don’t care what thier surpporters think

75. London says:

Great stuff RA

76. Red Arse says:

London, it’s so quiet I thought I would be sneaky and slip one of my lame jokes in! :-)

77. London says:

OK, I’ll take the bait.

“Arsenal don’t care what their supporters think”

I am curious, what does this mean?

78. London says:

I love them all RA

79. Red Arse says:

London,

I suspect MickeyK is a hit and run merchant, I’ve got to go and so I will never know what he means.

Sleepless night ahead now ……. Not! :-)

80. Harry says:

Love the Cannon idea, blow them away, how about a feed into the away changing room pre match, boom, boom, get right on their nerves…..

I agree that the Wonder of you is false and forced upon us, there was so many options but they go with that, as someone said, Arsenal (some officials) dont really care about the core of arsenal fans, the people who run the club dont understand the bond we have…..

Its so frustrating, all the fans forums things and red action, ok some things get done, but generally lip service is paid by the club officials….

81. London says:

The fact that at least some things have been done gives me hope. I must admit for a while I couldn’t imagine there would be any changes what so ever. One obvious, albeit simple, change was for that stupid song to stop being played when the team came out. It is still there but at least Red Action or whoever it was got it moved down the pecking order.

82. Evonne says:

London – Mickeyk is the Barca Fan using different name. He’s just a d*ckhead trying to wind us up for some sad reason
    Red Arse – cheers for the Duck

83. SharkeySure says:

Pretty poor that Mickey…only 4 cannons..?? On a pitch the size of ours…?? Shocking !!

We need at least two just pointing at the away dugout. Then double that for the scum, Northern Chavs, and Fergie’s boot boys.

Sorted.

84. Harry says:

There is always hope London, just feel lip service is often paid to the needs of the fans…Particularly by the way the tickets are sold, allocated etc….

I liked the re-introduction of the clock, that was needed…….

I really want the way seating / singing sections etc is done…….

My preference at home is our away support sits next to the opposition away support…..Our away fans are awesome, best in the league……………

85. king gooner says:

in reply to mickydidit89 great peice & to big raddys idea of an intro track-i have one where i think the tempo & lyrics are superb, it’s by emerson,lake & palmer(ancient,i know!)but bear with me.the track is “karn evil 9″the lyrics are…

” welcome back my friends,
    to the show that never ends,
    we’re so glad you could attend,
    come inside,come inside.
    there behind the glass,
    is a real blade of grass
    be careful as you pass,
    move along! move along!
    come inside the shows about to start
    guarranteed to blow your head apart.
    rest assured you’ll get your mneys
    worth,the greatest show in heaven,
    hell or earth.its a dynamo,you’ve got to see the show…….etc etc”

give it a listen to on you tube & let me know what you think.imo with the cannons blasting away at the end it’s got possibilities no?
    but whatever happens,something has got to be done with our intro at present which are piss poor!

86. Mickeyk says:

Evonne be a good girl and go and do some girly stuff with the girls .you obviously don’t know much about arsenal.

87. SharkeySure says:

Radders – “Changed by the marketing department because they couldn’t copyright the old cannon.

It was a sad day”

Can I respectfully deride that as a massive understatement on your part. It was a truly terrible thing to do, absolutely stinking, fetid, rotten, awful. You just don’t throw away HISTORY like that for the sake of a few quid.

The old badge was truly majestic, and carried the clubs motto. The motto is now hidden away inside collars, or woven into the fabric in a manner that renders it almost invisible to a casual glance.

Every time I put on an old shirt, I look at the badge in a way that I find hard to describe. Affection doesn’t quite cover it, but I think it might be how some dog owners feel about a faithful dog, not that I’ve ever owned or wanted a dog.

88. johnQ says:

@charybdis1966

‘Just goes to show we are lucky to have chosen the Arse, better a mighty cannon as a symbol than a stringy chicken on a basketball !’

th greatest line i ever read on Asenal Blog!!

89. Mickeyk says:

The winner takes it all

90. SharkeySure says:

King which impression shoud I be listening to…

I’ve tried scanning one or two of them, to no avail so far in finding/hearing the lyrics you’ve listed.

91. Mickeyk says:

Sorry Evonne just been told off

92. SharkeySure says:

John Q, with all due respect to Chary who definitely is a quality wordsmith, you might also care to rate these lines that appeared on Monday, courtesy of RockyLives:

“Opinion is divided on Denilson. Some men like a neat and tidy Brazilian. Others prefer something a bit more luxuriant.”

The standard of writing here is as good as you’ll find anywhere. Those two examples alone support that.

Anyways, night all

93. johnQ says:

Thanks SharkeySure, I’ve been a regular reader on this site for quite some time now, but Chary line was just pure class.

94. Mickeyk says:

My last ever post I’m sorry if I’ve upset anyone up the gunners.EiE arsenal forever

95. Rohan says:

Quality post, today is.

I don’t know if you’re joking, but regardless, the cannon idea would be brilliant. :D

Cheers, and have a good one.

And, hello Sharkey.

Nothing confirmed on Nik’s injury. He limped off at training and taken to the medics. He is 50/50 to play at the weekend v Norway.

Congratulations to the Ladies team upon reaching the CL semi-Final

97. Evonne says:

It has been great fun toying with the cannons idea :) Sadly, it is never to happen, sorry to be a spoil sport :( Micky was right – Islington Council would never allow it, and if we were to have just small, not so loud cannons, we would be laughed at….what a pity…we could have so much fun

98. Evonne says:

MickeyK – I am used to it, most men don’t like female supporters; it might be because I look at the game from less technical, but more emotional point of view. I doesn’t make me less of a supporter. Anyway, I am sorry for calling you a rude name, I regretted it immediately, but the comment was already there, soz

I’ve had to schedule the post to publish itself at 9.30. I hope it works but I will be back in a while if it doesn’t.

If someone can flag up New Post on here when it publishes that would be great. Thanks

100. Morning Peachy, I’ll be around so I’ll put up “New post” as and when.

BTW, thanks for the “big up” @ 9.57pm last night JohnQ.

101. Evonne says:

New post :)

102. Beat me to it Evonne.

103. king gooner says:

sharkeysure-it’s”karn evil 9″-studio version with lyrics-you tube(not live-sounds crap)studio-WOW!