Arshavin scores a great a goal

Here is Arshavin celebrating his great goal and if you haven’t seen it being scored click on the link

Out of nothing, Chamakh and our little Russian combined in the 70th minute to score a fabulous goal. What had gone on before the 70th minute was so unimaginative by Arsenal that not only were we 2 goals behind but it looked like there was no chance of us getting anything out of this game.

Poor defending had given West Brom a corner in the first 2 minutes and poor defending gave them a free header to score in the 3rd minute. But it was only the third minute. We had players on the pitch that could undoubtedly change that and surely the Baggies couldn’t park the bus for 87 minutes. Cue boring boring Arsenal.

So much has already been written about Almunia’s inexplicable decision to rush out of his goal to meet Odemwingie whilst having the support of Squillaci and Koscielny that I can’t be bothered to even rant about it. He may be a great shot-stopper but thats only part of his job. What on earth was he doing? Enough, the ball rolled into the back of the net and we were 2 down.

In the 76th minute we had our own goal from a ball that rolled over the line from van Persie, actually it trickled over the line and we were lucky that no-one was alert enough to claw it back before it got there. Suddenly, we were level and the resulting 14 minutes plus extra time were played at a frantic pace, but to no avail. Why did we wait until it was 2-2 to try and win this game?

In those frenetic 14 minutes there were occasions when there were plenty of  our Red (yellow, I know) shirts and West Brom’s striped shirts in the penalty area while we tried to score a  goal. It occured to me that the voodoo is clearly in the penalty area as we have as much luck scoring scrappy goals as we do defending corners or set pieces into the box – unlike manu who once again got an undeserved winner late on. Why is that?

What are this Arsenal team really good at? We often can’t defend and just as often we can’t score goals, we can keep the ball and weave pretty patterns in the middle of the pitch but scoring goals is what counts. Arsène, for all our possesion stats, when it counts we don’t seem to be able to score.

There were a couple of positives to be gained from yesterday game. Arsène changed the habit of a life-time and made a substitution at half-time taking off Denilson and bringing on Chamakh who was infinitely better. Was it a tactical change or did Denilson pick up a knock? I hope it was both. In addition, Aaron Ramsey made his first start since returning from injury and was welcomed back with a huge cheer from the supporters watching with me in Club Level.

We have a two week break and then hopefully the return of Theo van Nasregas at the Emirates for a must win game against Blackburn. The manks must be feeling confident that the title is theirs this morning – 9 games to go. Come on Arsenal.

Written by peachesgooner

95 Responses to Arshavin scores a great a goal

1. Grumble grumble grumble, I’m fed up of grumbling.

Although, I have to say, Arshavin’s goal took my breath away it was so quick.

I am an Arsenal supporter and I’m unhappy, so before all the rose-tinted bloggers come and kick me for my grumbles I just want to say that I’m hurting enough already so please give me a wide berth. Thank you

2. Evonne says:

Thank you Peaches, not an easy task after yesterday’s upheaval. You managed to find some positives, fair play to you; I was just totally down yesterday. That pratt Almunia had actually pushed his own defender out of the way!! Unbelievable.
    I was also worried about complete lack of leadership on the pitch – everybody seemed to be doing their own thing. Oddly enough, Chamakah and Andrei seemed to work well together. Is this perhaps a partnership we have been waiting for?
    Jens looked well, calm and thoughful….

3. Red Arse says:

Peaches a fabulous Post, well done! :-)

Count on me, I will not countenance anyone giving you a verbal kicking.

It does not even need saying that you are a true supporter, who could not know that?

You have every right to be disappointed, as we all are, rose tinted glasses or not! :-)

4. Red Arse says:

I know that Almunia is going to get a great kicking today.

I have taken the liberty of copying a comment I wrote to GIE earlier this morning, which is hopefully self-explanatory. We need a TOP goalkeeper but there is not much point slaughtering someone who will not be around for much longer.

GIE,

I have only just read last night’s comments and was in broad agreement with your take on the Almunia goal cock up.

When I saw how far out from goal he was I sighed and shook my head. Seeing it again this morning, he was not the only culprit. If the Squid had dealt with the ball, Almunia would not have been involved at all.

A little perspective does not hurt. But Almunia’s day is done, whatever is said now.

peaches, I didn’t see any grumbling, just an honest and accurate assessment of the game.

Shame manyoo spawned another 3 points, but hey ho, on we go.

Peaches. Well played. A positive spin – not sure I could have written one!

RA. I hate to contradict you but the goal had nothing to do with Squillaci and everything to do with Almunia. Imagine Squill’s shock when he turns and finds his GK 35 meters from goal – in the CB’s territory. Would a goal have resulted had Almunia not come out? IMO a definite No. S quill would have shepherded the ball and the player away. I cannot watch it again, but I recall Almunia running out even before the ball had bounced.

I hate picking on a player, especially one as fragile as Manuel, but just as he has to receive the plaudits following his Barca performance, so must he take responsibility for yesterday’s mistake. And he did – one only had to look at his body language.

But let us laud Arshavin’s goal. A masterpiece of finishing

Apparently, West Brom had 4 shots yesterday. One was blocked (Squiddly), one missed (Chris Brunt’s far post slide that went wide of the post), and the two goals.

Poor old Almunia didn’t even make any kind of save and conceded two goals.

8. ros says:

i did have this feeling sat morning that it was gunner be a draw not glad i was right but hopefully our next game we will have song and fab back and i would play jens in goal why not, his better than that clown.still think we can do it manks will drop points

Morning all,

Thanks peaches for having more balls than the rest of us :?

I said yesterday that Almunia lacks balls – a better way of phrasing it would be to say that he panics. He panicked when Rose kicked the ball at his head last season, he panicked when Phillips lobbed a header over him as he fell back into the goal and lost us 2 points against brum last season and he panicked when he came rushing out yesterday.

One of the things I like about Sz is that he is calmness personified. When he was thrown to the ground and carded for it against toon he just stood proud and calmly carried on.

10. pat says:

had to watch the game on mute while teaching my 6 year old how to play “happy birthday” on her ukelele. Still had to cringe at the Aluminas “happy birthday” WBA goal – he looks like a man with confidence in tatters. Not sure I would be going nuclear with the Lehmann option but to be honest couldnt have seen him doing any worse – Al just looks like a very unhappy chap!

On a better note – Andreis goal – awesume. Us equalising = cool. Daughter was asking why gunners arent wearing their red shirts was pretty cute so she now understands the rules around vistors uniforms that after a quick explanation!

Still obviously disappointed about the draw, but yes we did very well to come back from 2-0 down. Maybe when we were 2-0 down we hit rock bottom and the only way was back up! United are going to drop points – there is no way they can win all their remaining games (they have to play us and Chelski!). All to play for and not over yet…

11. Red Arse says:

Hi Raddy, :-)

Whether or not Almunia was culpable is unarguable, because clearly he was, not least with his decision making about how far out to ‘sweep’.

I was simply observing that castigating someone who will leave in the summer is a bit pointless really.

However, I also think Squillaci was indecisive and should have dealt better with a ball that travelled a long way out from the West Brom defence. The Squid also made a tremendous saving tackle in the second half to be fair.

12. Red Arse says:

Hi Rasper, :-)

Your comment to Peaches figures high in my list of backhanded compliments! Keep it up, so to speak! :-)

‘Thanks peaches for having more balls than the rest of us.’

Thanks Peaches, and,
    Morning all,
    Am I alone in feeling extra sensitive in the wake of a game like yesterday. I am really referring to my skin. Too many of my shirts appear to be made of sail making fabric on a day like this, whereas I feel in need of a luxurious combination of silks and satins. A kind of comfort blanket dress code is needed.
    We looked increasingly dangerous as the urgency grew. Says something to me.

I’m wearing sackcloth, Micky.

Pervert

There is never going to be a happy ending when the Manager selects Lunatics to play at the time of a Full Moon, and to think it is Jens in the wings!

17. dandan says:

Brave effort Peaches well done.
    As I said in Fridays (apparently to some discontent) post, points will be dropped by all the protagonists in this run in, yesterday was our turn.
    As a perceived pink glasses wallah, I believe that was a precious point gained, from a position that allowed both the team and the manager to show they do indeed have the backbone and mental strength to override adversity in a manner that derides the constant denying of both by some fan’s and pundits alike.
    A GK crisis, yes of coarse, the answer Manuel or mad Jens its as broad as its long.
    Personally I would go with Jens he at least dispenses confidence and the defenders must be crying out for a dose of that.
    But the race is still on Man U lost one maybe two defenders yesterday and they have some high hurdles comming up.
    Interesting or poetic justice I wonder, that our season could well turn on a night at White Hart Lane. Been there done that. Happy days :-)

18. goonermichael says:

Well done peaches. Arshavins goal was fantastic. Not many players in our league can score goals like that, I like Chamakh too. his link up play is excellent.

19. goonermichael says:

I wouldn’t be suprised to see almunia still here next season unless his contract is finished.

Unsuprisingly, AA’s goal came about when MC had taken up the wider position, allowing AA to thrust from a more central position. Same rules apply to Nasri.
    And hi GM/Dandan.

21. goonermichael says:

Hi Micky

22. dandan says:

Off to a four year olds birthday party see you later.

I have a nasty feeling that one day someone will buy AA and give him a free role behind a striker, and then you will see the real player.

dandan,
    Don’t nick all the jelly. That ends in tears.

25. Red Arse says:

Hi Micky, :-)

Just got back and immediately read your 11:49;

-’allowing AA to thrust from a more central position. Same rules apply to Nasri.’

Tut, tut!

26. glenn says:

mickydidit89 you’ve just said what i wanted to. Arshy should be played in his right postion in the middle not wide putting in the crosses or passes but getting on the end of them. Our wise one plays him wide to prove a point to ivan cos he never wanted him in the first place.

27. Gooner in Exile says:

Morning all.

A fair report Peaches, the only counter I would add is re goalscoring …. Yesterday we scored our seasons average 2 goals, we did concede greater than our season average and therein lies the problem.

Oh RA,
    You really don’t approve of my banging on about the out of position Nasri stuff do you?
    Cannot help myself :-)

GiE,
    I think it was BR who said that we would have scored a winner given five more minutes. I would argue that had we played the full 90 like the last 45, we would have scored four.

I would love to see:
    Nasri RvP Theo
    ….AA Cesc
    ……Song

31. Red Arse says:

Micky,

I was more worried that you were about to say, ‘they’ll be alright, in the middle of the night, thrusting centrally together!’ :-)

I understand from a comment on the radio that there were ‘ironic’ cheers when Denilson was subbed at half time.

The away fans sounded great with their singing and chants and enthusiastic support for the team, but I don’t like boo-ing our players or cheering when they are taken off.

A player may have a crap game, but he is still an Arsenal player after all. :-(

32. goonermichael says:

On another note. although I can’t stand tery I’m glad that plug has lost the england captaincy. maybe Jack will lead england one day and I’ll give a shit again. As it is I don’t even watch them anymore

RA,
    There are worrying signs concerning your cerebral arrangements! :-)

Right then,
    Lawn, sun, papers and sleep.

35. Red Arse says:

Micky,

Nothing wrong with my celebrations, I quack as loudly as the next duck. :-)

RA,
    Very good.
    No sunday lunch as everyone appears to have caught at least one of my maledies, and I am better.
    Not good.
    Bye.

Micky, bloody cheek of it…I’m the pervert and you’re banging on about silk and satin panties close to your skin!

38. Harry says:

@Peaches, quality post, loved the wide berth warning…passion, grit and desire a never say die attitude there my girl….now then where would like to see some more of that?

This is my last comment on the Almunia debate from the end of yesterdays post and comments today…I will not mention it again….(Promise!!)

@GIE: Somehow I will have to learn how to explain myself better, still missing the point of what I was getting at, you cannot defend the indefensivable….Its not about character assassination, i agree there needs to be an even playing field, but almunia is passed that…….

@Red Arse: Your assertion that having seen it again, that it is not all almunias fault is partially right in that, clichy lost the ball, then as the ball came over Squid should have gone directly to it, but schoolboy-esq defending allowed him to let the ball bounce (my team get right pelters from me if they do that), but he recovered his ground and turned his shape to cover the attacker and arguementively was about to block, tackle, clear, jockey etc etc and then out of the clouds came almunia to push him in the back, he lost his footing and the wba player rolled the ball into the net…For all the individual ,mistakes and there was more than one, IF almunia had not come out 3000yds too far and pushed his own player, we would not have conceded…..

Lets hope that this break see the medical team work some magic and we have a right run of games…..
    I’ll be at Blackburn match supporting whom ever the boss picks………….

Peaches, i meant to do a match report, but got carried away with the forum, then it was too late, i will do some articles this week for your approval, but i tink i kneed to praktis me inglishe a lickle wiv sum of vee poosts i goat bacc……:)

39. 300000000 yds :lol: quality Harry

Bloody bloody bloody football

Don’t worry about the spelling Harry, I’ll get Rasp onto it :P

40. Harry says:

@glen…..Our wise one plays him wide to prove a point to ivan cos he never wanted him in the first place????

are you sure?

41. Red Arse says:

Steady on Peaches,

I thought it was only men who exaggerated! :-)

You have turned Harry’s 3,000 yards into 30,000,000 yards, yup 30 million. I think I will get you to negotiate my fees in future! :-)

42. Brigham says:

Sublime finish by the Meerkat and it just shows you what we can do when our strikers do not try to walk the ball into the net. We just do not shoot enough and if we did, we would score far more IMHO.

We now have a decent two week break and lets hope our players who go away on International duty come back without any injuries.

As for Alumina, no comment is really needed is it?

Peaches
    Brilliant job of finding an outstanding positive moment to focus on.
    I’m bored of the Almunia debate now – we all know he screwed up by advancing 30 millions yards from his line, but we’re probably stuck with him for the next bunch of games.
    Back to the Arshavin goal – it’s the quickness of his feet that makes it impossible for the GK and defender to react.
    How about this for a team set-up:

GK
    Sagna Squid Kozz Clichy
    Theo Song Cesc Nasri
    AA
    RvP

Yes – it’s 4-4-2. Heresy!

44. goonermichael says:

Rocky
    GK? shea perhaps

The problem with that line-up is there’s no room for JW

I suspect our GK for the rest of the season will be MA.

46. goonermichael says:

Rocky
    we is fucked then :(

Having said I was bored by the Almunia stuff I am now going to prove myself a liar:
    I have just watched it five times (check out arsenalist.com if you ever want to watch the goals/incidents from any recent Arsenal game) and I think Squillaci couldn’t have done anything about it. This is important, because he’s another whipping boy at the moment and it would be a shame if the goal came to be seen as a “mix-up” between him and Almunia.
    The long punt upfield is slicing away from Squid’s position so he can’t get there in time to head it. Instead he sets himself to deal with it when it bounces. However, the ball takes a really irregular bounce that completely fools him. Even then, it’s not really a danger as he has time to recover and deal with Odemwingie… except that his ‘keeper is already outside the penalty area, in which case the striker only needs two touches to put it in the net.
    Even after Odemwingie’s first touch takes the ball past Squid there’s still a chance he could tackle him – but Almunia pushes him in the back, rendering a tackle impossible.
    It is, quite simply, an inexplicable piece of goalkeeping that could only be done by someone who is mentally shot. The closest I’ve seen to it on a footy pitch was Eboue running across the entire width of the pitch at The Grove to tackle his own player during the game in which he was having an on-field mental breakdown.
    Yesterday I was arguing with Rasp that it was as much of a risk to bring Jens back in as to keep Al, but having re-examined that goal I now think we have no choice. I feel very sorry for Almunia, but his head has turned to blancmange. Jens to start from now on.

……and having said that Rocky, I do not expect AW to drop Almunia for Jens precisely because he made that ricket and it is not Arsène’s style to punish players for failure. However, there is a lot to be said for the ‘phantom injury’ so maybe Al will suddenly develop one of those as he did earlier in the season when Fab2 supplanted him.

Rocky,
    When I posted my line up earlier (same personel as you) I did consider the JW issue. However, how many games before either Cesc, Nasri or Song were unavailable? He would be first call for any one of the three. My point was to get AA more involved.
    Either formation works for me.

If one team must win this afternoon, then City would be preferable. If I had to choose!
    Bad tempered 4-4 draw would do nicely.

My money is on Rasp’s phantom injury, unless gardening leave is still an option!

Sorry,
    Afternoon Rasp and Rocky.

Wasn’t Lehmann dropped for Almunia after his early season rickets against Fulham and Blackburn?

Definitely a draw is best for us in the chav derby.

Afternoon micky & chas,

He may have been chas – are you in favour of keeping with Al?

Both strategies are a gamble. I just compared the pictures of Lehmans steely clenched jaw when we conceded the second and compared it to Al’s hapless headshaking and that decided it for me.

I agree about Almunia’s head-shaking, Rasp.
    I don’t think we have any choice, Lehmann for me.

56. Harry says:

rocky, exactly …..cant say much promised i wouldnt talk about it anymore…..

I like the role of arshavin, I was saying about it all last season, but wenger does have a habit of playing players out of their comfort zone….

Ok with your formation, jack has a rest, or maybe put him in g….., no just a thought we could play nearest? Or Bendtner is a big lad?

57. Red Arse says:

Damn! I wrote a deliciously sarcastic comment re Almunia and the slightly odd suggestions for his replacement.

The ‘cannot locate server’ warning came up and it was lost to the aether, which is probably just as well as I may have been banned by the cognoscenti on AA.

I watched, helplessly, as a one legged magpie was pecked savagely by the fellow titterings.

He was probably a crap magpie with his one leg, but give him a break fellows, I thought, as I forlornly waved my arms at them!

Ditto Almunia.

58. Who was the tennis commentator that used to say ‘Oh my word’ in a hushed tone when someone played a fantastic point? That’s what I heard in my head when Arshavin scored – it was breathtaking and worth watching the game for.

As an aside I often hear Andy Gray saying ‘Fill your boots son’ when other’s score :lol:

It’s ok, I think the men in white coats will be here soon ……..

59. gunnern5 says:

I’m watching the Chelsea / Man C game and the thing that strikes me the most is that their defenses are made of steel and both have outstanding goalkeeping.

They are the only teams with a better goals against average than us with .86 goals against while we have 1.0. Our goals for at 2.03 per game is the reason we are above them but imagine our goalscoring and their steel.

Oh how I miss, Seaman, Adams, Keown and Bould.

Excellent game at the Bridge and proof positive that a top CB can win games. Luiz is Chelsea’s Vermaelen and shows what we have missed with TV for the season.

If one adds the 8 goals he scored last season we would already be top, let alone the defensive security he brings

The GK situation has long been a blindspot for AW.

SAF knows that a top team is based upon the GK, and brought in VdS to succeed the brilliant Schmeichel. You can be sure that he has VdS’s successor in his sights for summer.

We had the chance to sign Given and didn’t take it.

BR, you seem to be forgetting Roy Carroll and Timmy Tourettes!

63. Harry says:

I am not sure what grates the most, the lapses in defending that costs us the odd goal or even with the attacking talent at our disposal we seem to squander way too many chances….?

As much as people bang on about we try and walk it in the net, quite often we will upwards of 20-25 chances but score only 2 or 3 if we are lucky and the goalie isnt a paid member of the “be MotM goalie against Arsenal” club….

Our team is set up and constructed to win games by scoring significantly more goals, not just by one…..

We need to be sharper in front of goal and release the pressure on the defence a bit more…but there again i suppose we did that at Newcastle! but the dowd one scuppered that one for us……And since then have we looked assured at the back?

…and Barthez

65. Harry says:

Agreed radster, vermaelen would have been a major difference in the season for us…….Another IF in the season of IFs…….

9 games……lets focus and hope that the attacking talent we have can score one more than the opposition….

Yesterday explained..

Sorry BR, didn’t mean to shoot you down.

Had my Chary head on. :)

I’ll get me coat.

Chas. Shoot away.

But Schmeichel was at MU for 8 years and VdS for 7. That is 15 years of top GK’s.

And you missed out that Italian fool Massimo Taibi!

69. Gooner in Exile says:

Ok i have some worrying stats, a prelude to a post i am working on:

29 games played, this season W59% D24% L17%

Worst losing percentage for an individual starter:
    Squillaci W53% D18% L29% (played 17 games)

Percentages when he didn’t start
    Squillaci W70% D30% L0%

My post will focus on combinations so am not giving anything away, but that stat is concerning whilst JD remains injured.

70. London says:

Absolutely true: a great goal by Arshavin and a very good post on a difficult day.

My moan is the formation, it started in the CC final, failing miserably then and has continued to fail all the way through until the sixtieth minute yesterday. When Van Persie is played as the sole striker with what seems like twenty four super skilful midfielders the ball is passed backwards and forwards until they run out of ideas, devoid of inspiration they play the ball out to Sagna who sends it in for Van Persie who is marked by four defenders, the unsurprising result is we lose position. Wenger finally changed the formation to 442 and when Sagna sent in a cross things finally started to happen: no less than a two goal deficit was clawed back.
    If this site had a cartoonist, the kind that is capable of drawing satirist cartoons this morning’s picture would be Almunia handing the title to Fergy on a silver platter.

71. goonermichael says:

I was going to say massimo taibi Raddy but you beat me to it.

72. Thankyou London, very true about the cartoonist and the fact that 4-4-2 would seem like a solution.

The team has been set up around Cesc’s ability to pick an uber fabulous pass – no Cesc, no uber fabulous passing and so why not play 4-4-2 for those games?

Silly me, that would be flexible :oops:

London and Peaches. That is such a good observation. Without Cesc we have to play 4-4-2, but for some reason AW is loathe to change his system.

I wish he would come out and explain his thinking with the team. Why he plays a particular formation? Oh,I have so many questions for him…..

74. Gooner in Exile says:

I too understand the logic behind 4-4-2, my only question is who would the two centre midfielders be, with the current absence of Song I don’t think our midfield would be strengthened by removing one from the centre especially as so many line up 4-5-1 against us.

3-5-2 would be my preferred option, Bac, Squilli and Kozzer would be my choice from currently available defenders to play at the back

75. SharkeySure says:

Well played Peaches !!

76. dy says:

formation to try:

Koss
    Sagna Song Clichy
    RVP Fab Arsh Nasri
    Chamahk Bendtner

all out attack !!!! No holding back.

77. Gooner in Exile says:

Dy you didnt approach the thorny issue of keeper, sod it let’s play your formation but with Koss and Squid alongside each other and we’ll play rush goalie :D

78. London says:

GIE

I thought we were already playing rush goalie with Almunia. I couldn’t resist that one.

79. kelsey – are you about?

London,
    It was there for the taking. Well in!
    Morning to both of you, although I am not actually here. Will try and contribute a post during the lull.

81. Harry says:

GIE, you not reading my posts I suggested that at 16:31 yesterday!!

82. Gooner in Exile says:

Missed that Harry :D

An international break is upon us….I’m bored already!

In a way I’m glad Chelsea won yesterday, yes it means they have a chance of winning league but it also means they have to play full strength at OT to win if they want to do it, no resting players for CL (if they’re still in it by then).

Yes I am peaches. why ?

I have my own opinions about saturday, but they may not go down to well with some.

dandan is a top bloke :)

85. Red Arse says:

You are both top blokes Kelsey! Morning! :-)

86. Red Arse says:

Hi Peaches, :-)

Your question about the tennis commentator’s name was; …. (drum roll) ……. the late Dan Maskell.

Morning all,

Chris Samba had a fantastic game for Blackburn at the weekend and scored the decisive goal – he could/should??? have been playing for us, now we have to face him next Saturday :(

Can I just make a statement about Schwarzer which I happen to know to be true.We didn’t lose out on him over money.He was not allowed to break his contract by Mark Hughes.

89. Hi Raspers – you mean we face Blackburn the saturday after next ?

I’m going to that – to see tha last rites of our Championship campaign I suspect.

90. Red Arse says:

Morning Rasper, :-)

Samba would certainly have been a good acquisition, but as Bob Wilson said over the weekend, AW tried to buy Reina for a big pot of money and was turned down. Maybe the same thing happened with the Samba man.

As Bob Wilson said, Arsene never lets on when he has made an offer and been rejected, which is the correct behaviour, but that leaves him open to accusations of not trying to buy new ‘big’ players. Pity.

There’s a New Post

92. kelsey – I just wanted to say hi, thats all :)

93. Red Arse says:

Morning CharyB, :-)

You were always one of my main bankers for your upbeat, in yer face, never-say-die attitude. :-)

You seem a bit down lately. Remember it’s not over until the fat lady stands on your toe!!