Mentally Scarred….Is it terminal?

Written by Harry

I am still fed up with the way we keep getting beat, when we have the better of the game……it goes to show that even when you do dominate {ala Barca}, games can go against you (so if RVP had stayed on…..who knows), we used to have that ability, to win when not playing well, sneak your one chance and 1-0 would be sung with gusto as we see out a game, or sometimes that 1 goal with ten minutes left would open the floodgates, it’s all about taking chances……..

Our on field issue of converting chances when they come along is symptomatic of our recent history, the ability to take chances, the Carling Cup for example, win that and the confidence would have oozed, I am sure……..

United are a poor side and very average squad {1 domineering WC CB and WC Keeper and a spluttering of just above average players}……., but they retain that ability to take a chance, make something happen and fergie gets the best out of them. How many times have we out played them or Chelsea and that one chance sees them take the lead and we then get caught trying to catch them…….

Frankly I have a grudging admiration for the old red nose pensioner, single handedly he has kept United in the upper echelons of the football world, far longer than they should have been…….

I have defended staunchly certain players and the manager, I always will within the confines of the Emirates, but my belief is been eroded away at an alarming rate and as much as I can be objective about the defeats we have suffered and other games such as Newcastle away, I feel such annoyance that we keep getting so close but falling short, yes we have a larger than fair share of injuries (and always key players)…..How can I continue to berate other fans for being negative, when we consistently disappoint?

Other teams have gone out of all cups, now there are only be 4 left in the FA cup, there are only 8 left in CL as today sees the draw….so we are not alone in being out, many others have fallen, and last night saw the end of Man City and Liverpool as they bit the Europa league dust…(so much for spending loads of wonga, doesnt guarantee trophies)

Now we are only in with a chance of 1 trophy instead of 4 all within a space of about 10days, this is what is so shattering, devastating and in the long term we have to look at the mental scars, is this becoming terminal?

I get so frustrated at the way the press have harped on about the 6 years  with no trophy blah blah,  ask any fan of any team how long since Arsenal lifted a trophy and you’ll get a correct response, ask about other teams and nobody will get it right………………..

Somehow we need the Emirates crowd to get behind the team and in some respect, an away match is probably best right now, get 3 points and we are still in there, by our fingernails….(mathematically strong position : mentally still fragile though)

Then we have to keep winning, if we drop anything, even a draw, then it’s over for the season, then could the unthinkable happen, especially with these injuries racking up? Will we still qualify for the CL next season?

After WBA we have a ten day break, timely to say at least………Time to heal, after WBA we have Blackburn and Blackpool, after those 3 games we need to have taken 9points…………..As after that our run in gets interesting, with Liverpool been a big test right now…….followed by Spurs, Stoke, Bolton, United, villa and fulham…..

I will never ask for Wenger to leave, I hope he’ll know when his time is over and not get forced out, but if we fail this season on all fronts and he decides to stay, he must seriously look at our squad the makeup and then shake it up, with perhaps 6 going and maybe 7 / 8 coming in, remove that brittleness by injecting some new blood, try to remove that mental barrier…….He can still retain his football ethos, but he must admit that the choking at the finish line is a malaise within, a rotten core that needs ripping out and replacing with some real winning mentality…………..

Maybe Jens Lehmann on his ad-hoc monthly rolling contract will at least bring a stronger mentality to the dressing room, a calming influence, did I say that? Certainly more experienced than all others around him, it might just help…..I think he is the best option right now…….

I am trying so hard to retain some belief that we can do it, after 90mins at the Hawthorns on Saturday I will have my answer, it will either strengthen my resolve or it will allow me to prepare for the worse and steady myself for the possibility of total failure…..

Without been too melodramatic, I actually see this WBA game now as been one of the biggest in our recent history….Not just in the sense of fighting for this title, but the very real danger of this squad been damaged beyond repair, mentally can they respond…..

I believed in this team and the squad at the start of the season, all I felt we needed was another CM / CB Warrior {ie Parker/ Samba etc}, and I believe that was right at that time and still do on the aspects of technical and physical ability, but now we have to assess the mental state of some players, they might need to move on for themselves and the best interests of Arsenal…

Lets see what Saturday brings, 3points and a performance, I pray…….All Gooners, Stand tall Be proud, Stand as one Stand together, conquer all……

100 Responses to Mentally Scarred….Is it terminal?

1. Heart-felt rantings Harry – well done. We have to hope that the team can find that fighting spirit and put together a great run for the end of the season.

It all feels a bit disjointed to me at the moment, playing away tomorrow and then an International break – 2 weeks until there’s a game at the Emirates …….

2. Barca fan says:

Are u serious? Dominate barca. You got outclassed in every way. No shots at goal at all. Just face it, no trophies and your not that good. Lucky you can jus qualify in 3rd place most of the time. Thats what happens when you don’t win your group. Hope you taught something by that lesson.

P.s. Messi gol offside and penalty claim 2nd leg. Song cud have been sent off 1st leg. Also i bet you, Rvp heard that whistle but it was a tad harsh.

3. dandan says:

Harry felt I was reading a realy good article until I reached the point where you suggest we should bring in 7/8 new players!!! are they all to be purchased or are counting Loanee’s? If you are suggesting purchases then IMHO that is a nonsense a total non starter.
    I believe we will make a big signing in the close season and mix and match with the current squad,Loanee’s, and reserves. Maybe half a dozen overall may leave, but not all from the current squad.
    We have the basis of a fine team, keep the faith we will get there.

4. Red Arse says:

Excellent Post, Harry, and I think many fans will understand exactly what you mean. :-)

We all have moved from hopeful disbelief when we were going for 4 trophies, to pragmatic realism that winning four trophies was never going to happen, and then back again, until that fateful 10 days crunched our hopes in 3 competitions.

I don’t gamble but this ‘will we, won’t we’ must be similar to the vicarious thrills gamblers get. Exhileration or desolation? Only time will tell.

5. Red Arse says:

I suspect Dandan is right re the players in and out.

Arsene does not go in for wholesale changes, he is more an evolution man rather than a revolutionary.

You highlight our inability to score that one decisive goal from time to time, and that has to be right.

But there is an alternative view. I have mixed feelings about Bendy and Chamakh recently, but rather than get rid of them, I feel a wing wizard, with great crossing ability, could change their effectiveness, and that is the major transfer I am hoping will be made by Arsene in the summer.

6. Slice says:

Top man I enjoy your column but one thing, I know it’s petty but please use the correct word “being” rather than “been”! Does my head in and I forget your thread! Good work though

7. Red Arse says:

Barca fan, you won we lost, now it is time for you to move on. Desaparece, mi amigo!

8. Harry says:

Barca Fan: Read it again….I was alluding to the fact even when Barca dominate they can still be beat, like we did against United and Birmingham in the 2nd half…..Sorry you didnt read it properly…

Dandan:
    The point I was making was if we do fail completely, then a major shake up maybe needed, but that influx would include returnees, of actual new players 2 or 3 max, but thats only if we fail, the line if very fine at the moment, if we do manage to win the title then the mental state would improve and some players would survive….

Red Arse: exactly only time will tell, come Sat at 5 I will know where we will end the season, just need a few more planets to align….

9. kharadonha says:

Good article Harry and you know how to motivate the lads buddy. I said earlier Arsenal will not win a thing this season bcos our lads they don’t show the hunger to win games and that determination is not there and will never be there again as long as we still have players who don’t seem to be interested in wearing Arsena Red & White shirt. We (fans) are the only ones who respect Arsenal but the those who supposed to show respect including Arsene himself don’t show it at all. I’ve been crying here in South Africa and all my friends now just make fun of me off which its not nice at all but I always keep the faith.

Secondly Harry, Arsenal players seem to be lacking that motivation from the manager coz he doesn’t shout at the players. how will they know if they are doing the right thing or not? I have never seen Arsene shouting at players which means he doesn’t demand 5star perfomance from them. we need Arsene to scare the boys so that they don’t make mistakes which are unnecessary. for me Frimpong is better than Song and Ramsey is 250% better than Abu Diaby and Rosicky. why keep players who don’t bring joy and happiness in North London?

10. Carlito11 says:

Harry- “a spluttering of just above average players” quality phrase :-) Like you, my confidence has ebbed away, I’ve been keeping quiet in the hope that the players can restore it. Win handsomely tomorrow and it’ll return I’m sure.
    I loved how you got this in “so much for spending loads of wonga, doesn’t guarantee trophies”- good to deal with that thorny issue and yesterday’s results give us a strong example to bat it away.
    Tomorrow’s game IS much more important than last week’s FA Cup game. I’m already feeling the nerves a bit. Just hope that Wenger’s been applying a different psychological approach than the last couple of seasons where we’ve suffered similar circumstances… COYRRG!

Barca fan
    What are you doing here? If you’re not sure, I’ll tell you: in your heart of hearts you know that your lot only put Arsenal out with the help of an, at best, incompetent, at worst, bent, ref. You know that if we had had 11 men for the whole match you would not have scored three goals and you would be out. Barca would have faded in the last 20 minutes as usual and Arsenal would have stepped on their throat again. That’s why you’re haunting Arsenal sites, misunderstanding the point of the post: Deep down you know.

Harry
    Really good post – you have expressed what many, if not most, of us are probably feeling right now: mathematically we have a brilliant chance to be champions, but have we got the bottle?
    If we fail again, I agree with you that serious questions will need to be asked. (I don’t mean ‘Wenger Out’, I mean about determining what sort of additions would give us the missing ingredient to turn our nearly-men into champs).

13. Barca fan says:

@rockylives

Which is why we had a goal disallowed and a blatant penalty. Your team is failures. We don’t need francesc, that is just the newspapers repeating over and over. Rather have aff and alcantra. Arse-Nil trophies in 6 years.

14. Harry says:

Rocky, exactly what my ramblings were on about….if we do fail this year, serious analysis is needed….

Slice@: Sorry mate, always get me been and beings wrong, wheres carlito when I need him………

15. Harry says:

ah Barca fan your back, re read it? understand now? and ps mate before you started winning trophies again a few years back, how long had you gone without winning….? it goes in cycles, our time will come again…..

Haha Barca fan… you want to compare a marginal offside with the most outrageous refereeing decision most people have ever seen in a Chmapions League game?
    That Swiss ref booked four Arsenal players in the first half precisely because he wanted to give himself every chance of sending one of them off. Even if RvP heard the whistle (and if you look at the incident, you’ll see he shows no sign of reacting to anything other than the ball), he took the shot less than a second after it was blown. Mighty, might suspicious.
    Come back on again and chat when Mourinho’s Madrid have won the CL in May…
    Never mind your 5-0 win, when it comes to the big crunch game he’ll do you again.

17. Carlito11 says:

Hope Barcafan comes back on- reading RL in this kind of form is exactly what’s needed to liven up a rainy Friday and get us in the mood for the game tomorrow!
    Harry- I wouldn’t worry too much about the old been/ being business old bean! It’s the passion and flow that gets us all reading!

18. Gooner says:

Great post, but to say united have only two good players is a joke, i look at thier squad and i only see about two or three of our players starting for them. The likes of nani, rooney, berbatov, chicharito all pop up with a bit of goal scoring magic while we have to rely on van persie and nasri farvto often. The reason we can not win trophies is not down to unluckiness but a lack of investment and belief.

19. Harry says:

Cheers carlito, wasnt sure if the article worked or not, penned it on sunday and have played around with it during my time away this week up in Coventry….As positive as I am, you cannot help harbouring slight doubts of concern, tomorrow I will be a bag of nerves, just hope I can find a decent stream to watch it on…..

20. Harry says:

@Gooner:

2 world class in van der sar and Vidic, the others ie nani, rooney , berba are just above average as they have no consistency, …..nani is improving granted, rooney flits in and out, I am not saying they are crap, just that old red nose has kept them up there when their individual form at times has not stood out, or have I missed something?

But I like Hernandez, he would be ideal for us, he keeps it up next season, then I might add him to their list of top players…..

21. Red Arse says:

Harry,

The Gunning Hawk site often suggests a selection of live feeds for the Arsenal games. Choose one and if it isn’t good enough, go back and try another.

Good luck! :-)

22. Red Arse says:

Hi Rocky, :-)

See you have the bit between your teeth this afternoon/morning! :-)

23. Harry says:

Cheers Red, thats where I do go mate, but you just know tomorrow the feeds will be slow and intermittent….

I did have a really good site, firstrow, but it got closed down…

24. Carlito11 says:

Harry- I was given the link to live online footy but some of the chaps on here – you have to pay £2 for 24 hours or £6 for 2 months! It hasn’t let me down yet- not even once all season

25. Carlito11 says:

Harry- I was given the link to live online footy by some of the chaps on here – you have to pay £2 for 24 hours or £6 for 2 months! It hasn’t let me down yet- not even once all season

26. Red Arse says:

Carlito,

Someone has pinched your heroic avatar!

27. Carlito11 says:

RA- there’s a story there. I was thinking about 1990-91. The first season I really watched a lot of Arsenal games and the obsession started. I was absolutely entranced by the wing play of our new Swedish signing and he kept getting better as the season went on. I am hoping that adopting a Limpar avatar will add some good Juju to our run in- a parallel effect that might rub off on RvP perhaps?

28. Red Arse says:

Good thinking Carlito, hope it works! :-)

29. Barca fan says:

5 years? during that drought, the new team was being cultivated in La masia. i.e valdes pique, xavi, iniesta messi, pedro. Look at the success

Can you compare against this?

30. Harry says:

@barca fan….5 years…so what was the point of what you were saying mate? as I said it goes around…. What do want to compare?

carlito, can you text me the details, or i’ll call you tonight…..

31. Barca fan says:

So what is our current crop winning trophies and is seen as argubaly the best team ever was made in that drought. As arsenal had the same period from last year.

What can you compare from this?

Also due to the CL game, if you could not muster a single shot with rvp on the pitch, how sure are you that you would win. With our 2 goals, Rvp would not have not tracked back that far to stop the attack.

32. Carlito11 says:

Harry- I think it’s just the 3 words in my previous plus .com at the end! Give us a bell if that’s wrong! The weekend starts here! Will be mainly offline this weekend but hope to join in on Sunday. Come on you Gunners!

33. Barca fan says:

VISCA LA BARCA

34. Harry – its http://www.liveonlinefooty.com as Carlito says £2/24hrs or £6 for 2 months

Enjoyed both of today’s posts immensely. Thanks Harry and RA.

As regards the Barca game, nobody seems to mention that the RvP sending off incident proved that we were getting back into the game because it was the most space we’d created when Robin took his shot. With Barca having to press, being a goal down, there would only have been more room for us to attack in the last 30 mins, exactly as there was in the first leg. Completely agree with Rocky.

We’ll never know what would have happened because of the corrupt ref.

FFS. Barca rubbish again. You won, we lost. The only time a non-Spanish club beats you is if they are able to pay a bigger bribe to the officials (Chavs & Inter).

Go away. This is an Arsenal site.

37. Barca fan – you must like it here. At 2-1 the game was going to extra time unless we scored in which case you were out. I expect there’s a shrine somewhere to the ref that saved your blushes.

Just because we hadn’t mustered a shot up until the sending off doesn’t mean the game was definitely going to pan out as it did.

We may come across as sore losers but there were plenty more ‘ifs’ on that night that could have changed the game. The referee decided which he wanted it to be and sent Robin off.

38. Danish Gooner says:

They will bottle it against Wba,it is certain.Wba will score inside the first 20 minutes and park the bus,rosicky will play his passionless onedimensional football and and Arsenal will pass sideways to the cows come home,i am even willing to take a wager on it.a last ditch penanlty will make the score 2-0 to wba and Wenger will say we are still in it and the lads gave everything and that we will learn and we are mentally stronger then anyone in the whole wide galaxy and then i am gonna puke my guts out.

39. Barca fan says:

Yh it was a corrupt ref including barca claims. But with that possesion, i highly doubt it. But whatever happened, we the best team Barac won.

Btw,Harry what is the comparison? No youth. How many arsenal products are in the team with silverware. No hate btw just curious.

No beef

Harry. Another interesting post and could well have been the pre-match, thereby saving me a job!).

Like the others I cannot see wholesale changes , nor I do believe they are necessary. A tweak here or there and Bob is your …..

And I think we have to get things into perspective – - – If we win our game in hand, we are level Top of the Table with 9 games to play!!!

How can you lose hope now?

41. Barca fan says:

Barca*

DG, you really ought to change your name!
    How about Danish Pastry?

Danish Gooner.

Are you really an Arsenal fan or Tottenham in disguise?

44. Danish Gooner says:

Hey !!! Piss off Barca fan,your corrupt league isnt of any interest to real football fans,say hi to your doctor from me,you know Eufamio Fuentes,yes that is right your darling dwarf Messi was once even smaller untill Fuentes gave him horse hormone.

45. 26may1989 says:

I know where you’re coming from Harry but your post seems a bit OTT to me (in danger of finishing fifth? Purlease). This is the best side in England, and I fancy they’ll do well in the run-in. What happened in the cups is a shame but we got to a final, a QF and lost to the best team in the world. What’s to panic about in all that, given that we’ll be level at the top if we win our game in hand?

Some clichés are true, one being: winning breeds a winning mentality. When I look at players like Wilshere, Fabregas, Szczesny, Ramsey, Song and Koscielny I see a great, competitive attitude. We’ll get momentum going and will march towards the title, while United get their knickers in a twist about CL games etc.

As for Barça Fan, he just shows why so many people hate the club and their fans while loving what the team do on the pitch. Arrogance personified. And by the way, this is really the first season since 2004 when the team has not been held back by the new stadium investment. Wenger has been doing the same squad rebuilding that Barça did in assembling this squad, only he’s done it without money.

I got into a cab in Istanbul this afternoon, and the driver looked at me and asked two questions: “English?” Yes. “Arsenal?” Absobloodylutely!!

46. Barca fan says:

“Wenger has been doing the same squad rebuilding that Barça did in assembling this squad, only he’s done it without money.”

La masia, the academy lot of money isnt it

Apologies for my late appearance everyone. Thanks for a fine post Red Arse and a brave baring of the soul from Harry.

I empathise with every word of your post Harry and have had one or two darker thoughts recently. You are correct, we must get 9 points from the next 3 games – and W Brom will be the most difficult due to the missing players.

I do not accept that to win the title we need 9 points from the next 3 games. There is no way MU are going to win all their matches and Chelsea, who are 6 points back, will have to win every game (including MU away).

This season has thrown up so many strange results (who would have thought that bottom of the table Wolves would end MU’s unbeaten run) that there are certain to be more in the run-in. There is many a slip twixt cup and lip.

49. 26may1989 says:

Completely agree Raddy.

Hi Harry,
    Bit gloomy, “if we drop anything, even a draw, then it’s over for the season”. Nah. 27/30 possible points would do it. Probably quite comfortably.
    Thanks for the post though.

You may be right Raddy and 26m, but one thing is for sure, the games against pool, the spuds and mancs will be more challenging than those 3 games. I think you are forgetting our loss of momentum and that the defensive triangle of Squillaci, Kozzer and Almunia will be more vulnerable to set pieces and aerial attack.

52. You smooth talking lot you, we might not need the 9 points in the end but secretly wouldn’t it be nice if we had them in the bag sooner rather than later :)

53. Barca Fan says:

I’m not being arrogant, just stating that Arsenal fan think they are really good and are on the same level as Barca. Your not!

End of…

Goodbye, and good luck for your title race.

54. 26may1989 says:

Nice bloke that Barça Fan, shame he can’t read.

55. Evonne says:

26may – he cannot spell either

Barca Fan – you are being arrogant, end of

56. Red Arse says:

Hi 26,

What are you doing in Istanbul? Are the fuzz after you? :-)

57. 26may1989 says:

Shhh, you’ll blow my cover……

58. Evonne says:

What’s the fuzz?

59. Barca Fan says:

Amazing team….

Shouldn’t it be the fez?

61. Red Arse says:

Evonne, English slang for the police, I think! :-)

Chas, ‘fez’. :-)

BTW. Barca Fan is one of those strange fans who live in the UK and support Barca or Real.

Says it all really. And particularly apt when considering RA’s post this morning.

63. Harry says:

Back from work finally, thanks to all for good comments…..

Some feedback:

@Barca: Lets compare on your terms when we have won the title at the end of this season with a nucleas of young guns in the team…

@Big Raddy: Yeah you could have used this for pre-match, but I thought you had that spot reserved for you, anyway, its a bit dark for a pre-match…

@chas, how about Danish Crumble……?

@26M: Yes wew are on our day the best team in england, I agree, but as Rasp has pointed out with the injuries we have to rely on others not quite equipped to deal with the likes of stoke and bolton….I dont really think that we will end up outside the top 4, but I do worry, as I said tomorrow will hopefully settle the nerves….

@all I wrote the main part of this straight after the united cup defeat…..

@Mickydidit: Yeah sorry a bit gloomy, as I just said wrote in the aftermath under my quilt…..

Sorry if I depressed all of you, but at times, yon need to feel the realism of the situation to make sense of it…..

Redders
    I just got round to reading your entertaining post about the nature of fandom. Very enjoyable read. What I took from it was the strange paradox that, while defining the essence of being a true fan is a task beyond the wit of language, science or philosophy, we all know it when we see it.

Can’t believe that Barca fan stuck around as long as he did today. I suppose if you support a team in the Scottish Premier League (Southern European Section) there’s not a lot to talk about on your own sites.

I just read that Diaby is out for the WBA game – and when I read it I got a surge of hope. I immediately felt slightly guilty (and a bit disloyal) but I can’t deny that my instant gut reaction was “great!”.

If we were to start the West Brom game with Denilson and Diaby in MF I would be seriously worried. As it is, there must now be a chance that we’ll start with Jack, Aaron and (?). I suspect the third spot will go to Den, but I would rather see Samir in there, and have Arsh, RvP and Bendy up front.

Sorry if I’m pre-empting tomorrow’s chat.

66. SharkeySure says:

Hola amigos…buenos noches..??

Quality read Harry, it is a question that has perplexed me for a while. I asked a few people over the summer if they would forego ALL new signings for an injection of some never say die spirit into the players that we already had.

It was galling to see the Man U players last Sat react to their poor start in the game, by just working harder and harder until them stemmed the tide a bit. They simply refused to be completely overrun.

I have to give that classless scumbag Ferie some credit in that respect. Year after year he is ruthless towards his non performers, to the point where ‘not performing’ or not busting a gut trying, is simply not an option.

Can we loan him some of our players over the summer and have them back in August..??

67. SharkeySure says:

*Fergie* if ‘classless scumbag’ wasn’t enough of a clue !

68. SharkeySure says:

Whilst I agree thats its not completely ‘all or nothing’ tomorrow, I really do feel that a good win will represent ‘much more than just 3pts’ after the trouble and strife of the last 3 weeks.

Likewise with a loss or draw – god/fate/allah/buddha forbid !!

I’m edgy already. Def con time.?

69. goonermichael says:

Mancs v chavs. Exactly what I asked for.

70. London says:

I love the way these Barcelona fans criticise us for trawling the world for the new young talent before quickly singing the praises of La Masia that magical place where they have developed the likes of Iniesta, Messi, Xavi….but wait, Iniesta is from some two horse town in Castille and Messi the Catalan? I think not, they kidnapped him at the age of thirteen from Newell’s old boys. Bunch of hypocritical toe rags.

71. Harry says:

Thanks Sharkey, you have fully understood where I was at mate, if we do win the title, 1 or 2 would supplement our team nicely, but if we falter then I do believe that to salvage a team we would need to change a few more than 1 or 2…..Mentally they’ll be shot…….

72. Harry says:

Spot on London, spanish hypoaellacritas…..

73. Barca Fan says:

Visca La Barca.

74. gnarleygeorge9 says:

“I will get behind the team and try to be positive till the season ends, all I hope is that it ends on the 22nd May at Craven Cottage with us taking the Premier League Crown………”

Harry that is not being positive. The Title will be won @ Stoke 2 weeks earlier :lol:

BELIEVE!!!!!!!!!

75. SharkeySure says:

Harry – ‘game face’ is what I’m after. Phil Senderos had ‘game face’. Martin Keown was born with a game face.

Some of our lot look a bit too non plussed* at times.

For some reason ‘np’ came to mind to describe some of our players in the tunnel and even during games. I figured I’d double check themeaning before I used it.

Found this ‘at a loss as to what to think, say, or do’ Spot on or what ?!

76. SharkeySure says:

Think – right, time to dig deep.

Say – “come on boys we can get back in this, plenty of time. F***ing concentrate – no more mistakes”

Do – roll up sleeves and fight for every ball as though your life depended on it, and hope the attitude spreads.

Nite all

77. gnarleygeorge9 says:

After Arsenal dumped on barcelonely in the 1st leg everyone went ape shit, beating their chests about winning “the battle”.

Some of you blow your bolts too early; carry on giving other fans the amo, then when it goes pearshaped, get all upset when opo fans/media take the piss.

You are your own worst enemies. Its time some Arsenal fans learnt how to shut it till the fat lady belts out her number.

Some of you are like the yanks in Vietnam. going into battle making a hell of a noise & presenting themselves as easy targets for “Charlie”.

Whereas Australians played the silent but deadly game & put the shits up the Vietcong in the end. Our boys beat’em @ their own game.

Now just sit back & learn how to count your 3 times table x 10. Do not go too early if some dumb arse chav or spud taunts you. Coz the big one is coming. Arsenal are in the box seat.

P.S I will defend this club when other fans attack it. But i will also say what I feel needs to be said in the line of battle. Coz in the end its the war that matters, & this one is going to be won by the good guys.

Chins Up! COYRRR

78. Harry says:

Sharkey, game face, exactly, worse one for the little lost sheep look? Kozzer, love the guy, he is talented, but he needs to be more aggressive….

GG.I know what your saying and I am positive, believe me, note some of the extra comments I have made….
    Its all in the head……GG your right about the heat of battle and what to say and when, Believe me I stand tall in the trenches and will fight for Arsenal till my last breath…My article is surrounding the emptiness of feeling down when all seems lost, but holding that little crumb, understanding and believing…
    but ultimately if it does go pear shape we have to look at what we need to change, we are so close to been the best we are not far from Barca, we are on the coat tails, but we keeping slipping at the line, why? it hurts, I want the best for us…..Solace is found in the strangest of places, that odd decision may change our luck, maybe Jens is our rabbits foot!!

And if it is won at Stoke with games to spare I will be estatic……..Tomorrow will tell me all….

Read it all again, feel the anguish, the hurt, the pain the worry the nerves, see the steely belief at the end…….Its all about been an Arsenal fan and the emotions are club subject us to…Never an easy ride….Hold on tight…..

79. Have a nice day tomorrow you all, I’ll be out early to the Emirates for the Fun Run and hope to watch the game there later.

The best start for the next 10 games will be bringing home the three points tomorrow.

Catch up after the game.

80. Gooner In Exile says:

Bit late on read the post early but couldn’t reply as I had tricky client issues.

Anyway for my tuppence I am not concerned by our cup exits or manner of them.

After all at the start of this season everyone wrote us off as being out of the top four, let alone potentially going level top with our game in hand with 10 games to go.

Barca was tough to take due to the manner of the exit, ManUtd was tough to take as yet again we were the better team and VDS had a blinder, Birmingham was just one of those days.

In the meantime when was the last time we lost in the PL? That is where our best form is and has been all season, we struggled past Leeds and Orient in FA Cup, and were given a close run by Ipswich, but we persevered where others had written us off again.

We are in the best position we could have hoped for, we have a team learning and maturing by the game, we have a squad capable of winning this thing. And if we don’t c’est la vie. We will soon I am sure. But 2nd in PL is a lot better than mist gave us hope of…..so I’ll still be satisfied that we have improved.

Danish Gooner I’m surprised you bother supporting Arsenal such is your dislike of the present setup.

Barca fan get real, we didn’t know about your Youth prospects when your team was being built so maybe you’re unaware of the talent coming through at Arsenal, do some homework and enlighten yourself on what is being done at the Home of Football.

Shooooooooooooooot

but I thought Song was fit again. Ramsey today?

Tell you what Micky, without Song, why not bin the whole DM thing, play Nasri Ramsey and JW and simply out football West Brom.

Like it Micky. Wait till the lads get back and I break the news. They are going to love your idea.

85. dandan says:

Watching the general direction of posts over the last two weeks has saddened me immensely, to see so many AA’rs ” toss their toys from the pram” as things have gone against us.
    Hooray for those with the fortitude to hold their headss up in the face of adversity and declare, OK that one has gone but we are still better placed than 90 other FL teams.
    The spuds are dancing in the streets because they have won some CL games, big deal, we must have won 60/70 CL games over the past 11 years. Yet some still quote those dancing spuds as evidence of our decline. Total Rubbish. Will they be in CL next year no way.
    We of course will be, but still we sulk and yes that is a good word sulk, a collective sulk descends on a section of our support, who seem to think we have a divine right to win. They say it is because they care, suggesting by that comment that we who don’t succumb don’t care.
    How mad would they get if I suggested it was because they want easy bragging rights and cant hold their own with other supporters when things don’t go there way. Well get real fellows life ain’t like that, for good or bad its just life.
    Take today we build it up as megga, yet it is just another game worth three points, we WILL drop points on the run in, as WILL all the contestants. As the cliche says “it is not over till it is over” and tomorrow is a million miles from over.
    If we win today and the mancs lose we will still not be anything like home conversely if we lose it is far from over.

The biggest criticism of this team by so many supporters is that they are less than committed. Strange then that the posters among us who make such assertion, are the first to let their heads drop at the first sign of adversity, thank goodness the team has more belief or we would be doomed.
    Another cliche “If you think you are beaten you are” these sayings have stood the test of time because they are correct,
    For goodness sake please folks lets accept that the team will give its best, forget the negativity it is a self fulfilling prophesy, get behind the lads, together we stand a very good chance of winning the league divided we will just drag them down with us.
    Sorry if that spoils your Saturday, the lads will put it right later.

86. Evonne says:

Dandan, I love your ‘dancing spuds’ expression:) Wonderful! Say ‘Dzien dobry’ to your wife

GG,
    “Some of you are like the yanks in Vietnam”. Yeah, right Gnarley!

88. 26may1989 says:

Fine late comments from dandan and Exile, leaders of the sane!

Peaches,
    Good luck to all runners and marshalls today.

Hit the BIG button BR

However I line up my team, I am always at a loss for the wide right position without Theo. Am I alone?

Looks like I am alone!

Morning micky :P

An open comment to all AA’ers. This site was set up to offer an open forum for the friendly debate of all matters Arsenal (and beyond) and that is the way it will remain as long as I am involved. As part of that function, it offers a release valve for the frustrations and anxieties that we all suffer – it is just that some are more prepared to express those feelings than others.

Rasp,
    Very fair comment.

Hear hear Rasp

Up early Rocky

Table football outside in the sun it is then.

NEW POST ……

Morning micky
    Kids woke me up and I couldn’t get back to sleep. Thought I’d go downstairs to have a cuppa and read some Arsenal stuff in peace.
    No milk.
    Have been to the 24-hour grocery and am now back with tea (and Arsenal stuff).

I like your team selection for today (Nasri, Ramsey and JW in MF) but I bet AW plays Denilson.