A Thierry Henry hat-trick saves our week – April 2004

Some serious cheering up needed today. There’s no shame in going out of the Champions League at the hands of Barcelona although having to listen to how Arsene Wenger sent his team out to park the  bus and play negatively is almost beyond the pale. Anyone who watched the game will know that we hardly touched the ball and that was because they didn’t let us. We’ve done that to countless teams and now we know how it feels. Ouch.

Waking up, though,  to find that our arch rivals have progressed to the quarter finals is more than upsetting. I’m in two minds whether I wish Barcelona on them or not, to have them crowing about entertaining Barca at the lane or them playing at the Nou Camp is asking a lot. I’d rather they got the chavs really. Spiteful, moi?

I turned to the fixture list after the disappointment of Tuesday night to see when I could next be called upon to cheer and encourage my beloved Arsenal only to find that we don’t have a home game until 2nd April – thats still another 3 weeks away! How cruel the fixture list is sometimes, just  when you want to be there to prop up the team you find they’re going to have to play without you.

I reminded myself of a week not long ago when we went out of the FA Cup on a Saturday to the manks and then out of the Champions League to the chavs on the following Tuesday. We were playing Liverpool at home on the Friday of that week, it was Easter and Thierry had picked up a back injury and wasn’t starting. The disappointment of the weeks previous results was pretty crushing and I was desperate to get to Highbury to cheer the team out of the tunnel. For some reason I was worried that the crowd would hold back on their support, how foolish of me. The noise that Highbury created that day when the team ran out brought tears to my eyes, to a man we stood and cheered them until I thought we would burst.

The game started off badly and by half-time Liverpool had definitely scored 2 goals and I think we’d scored 1 but in the second half Thierry came on and scored a hat-trick and the tears rolled again.

It was 2004. It was the eighth game before the end of the season, the season where we would go unbeaten. I believe Theirry Henry saved our unbeaten run on that day, coming off the bench with a back injury and single-handedly winning that game, but he was always my hero anyway.

This team have 2 difficult away games before I can take my seat and be part of our history but from the comfort of my couch I will be shouting loudly in my support and just hope its enough. We still have a double in our sites, lets go and grab it.

Written by peachesgooner

105 Responses to A Thierry Henry hat-trick saves our week – April 2004

Apologies for the girlie-post, I just had to cheer myself up and thinking of Thierry definitely does it for me ;)

That’s excellent peaches. Thanks – just what the doctor ordered :P

Up until I read your post I thought nothing could drag me out of my deep depression, but then the sheer majesty of TH and the memories of past glories came flooding back.

3. Ah, a rare Peachy post – I should have guessed from the references to “tears rolling” – a sure sign of a girly post.
    Thanks for reminding me of that time and it seems an awful long time ago, but it should be a diversion from the double media lockdown(our capitulation on Tuesday and the press creaming themselves off about North London’s representatives in the Q/F’s of the Champions League.
    Dark, depressing times to be a goner at the moment.
    And what’s next, we go to old Toilet to take on the mank scum and their referees.

4. Hi chary, seems like such a huge mountain to climb at the moment doesn’t it?

That Highbury game had been my favourite game until the Barca home tie a couple of weeks ago, interestingly I didn’t remember it was part of the unbeaten run until I researched it this morning.

Thanks peaches. :)

Looking on youtube for that game, I came across this. Picture is rubbish but the commentary is wonderful…

6. Thats fantastic chas – that goal, the Liverpool defenders just let Thierry waltz through – very Thierry Henry :D

7. London says:

Great stuff Peaches

Did you get a ticket while you were over there?

8. Red Arse says:

Lovely Post Peaches and not at all girlie! :-)

You have hit the nail on the head, in that, at the moment, we do not have a Thierry or an Ian Wright, Wright, Wright to get a game by the short and curlies and stand it on its head.

Bob Wilson was interviewed after the Barca game and said that Arsene must, in the Summer, buy a top, top class player, even if the price was outrageous, to enable just such moments to be possible for us in the future.

Hope Arsene was listening too! :-)

9. Red Arse says:

Peaches,

I have sent you an email, with a truncated article as the Rasper requested! :-)

10. London – I had to give up my trip to stay here and be a mummy!!! Not fair but …….

11. Peachy, I remember how Tel went one better in the next game and absolutely decimated Leeds by scoring 4 to effectively send them down.
    To be honest at the moment I’m a bit fed up with our managers tactics/selections: on Tuesday why on earth did we not start with Arshavin and put Diaby there –he hardly impressed against Sunderland did he?
    As it seems like Vermaelen is not back anytime soon why on Earth were we fobbed off with “What shall I do with 6 central defenders ?“ when we asked for a back up CB in January.
    And substitutions- up until a few weeks ago Wenger was getting them right but sadly he seems to have reverted to type more recently, namely leaving it too late to make a difference.

12. But I want Cesc to be that player and I bet Jack himself wants to be that player so who could we buy that would not step on Cesc or Jack’s toes?

Its very frustrating but there were heroes in waiting at the Nou camp – Robin, Cesc, Jack, Nik – they all had a chance.

13. Thanks RA, I’ve replied.

Now that I’ve written that post I’m well and truly in denial – the therapy is complete – I’m full of love for Thierry and can’t imagine we’re not going to win the league :lol:

chary – we’re constantly amazed that our manager can get things so wrong from team selection to subs. I’d love to know what he said to the ref the other night though.

14. Red Arse says:

On a slightly off topic note, I wrote a comment/email to ANR (I may already have told you guys) suggesting that this Myles character stopped being a non-Arsenal supporting hypocrite while hiding behind his ‘Arsenal’ site name.

I demanded he change it to Spurs NR or Manc NR. No reply did I receive to either.

Today the so and so has written that Arsene betrayed his philosophy by ‘parking the bus’ at the Nou Camp. How I would love to be able to have a frank exchange of opinions with that guy!

He vets communications so carefully that I feel a real sense of injustice. What is he afraid of do you think?

15. Peachy, he(Wenger) probably got caught up in the heat of the moment as he is human and as angry as anyone of us would have been after that refereeing display.
    But that is the point, he is human and prone to making mistakes, but it’s the repeated mistakes that grate with me – when we were all out of strikers and we played Arshavin up front on his own because he didn’t want to get a striker on loan as a stop gap it annoyed. He seems to be doing the same with centre backs – Vermaelan –a first choice XI player- probably will not play for us again this season and he kept saying he would be back early March and he is nowhere near a return.
    All it takes is for Johan to suffer a relapse, and with his injury record it’s more than possible, and we are left with Kozzer and the Squid as our CB’s while we try and win the title.
    If I was paranoid I’d say Wenger knew we wouldn’t seeTV5 again and it was just miserly tendencies coming to the fore again.
    I don’t know, I fear our season may start unravelling if we lose at Old Toilet on Saturday, and the Arsenal haters will be out in force gloating, just like the Spuds who texted me last night “Now THAT’S how you get into the Quarter finals” .
    The stick my youngest son took from chavs/manks/spuds at school on Wednesday was horrible.
    Absolutely awful time to be a gooner right now.

16. Red Arse says:

Peaches,

Re-reading your post brought the hint of moisture to my eye too, as it was one of the last games I saw before work took me elsewhere.

The gloom of the preceding games had wormed its way like acid into my usual demeanour, but the transformation of the scores by Titi that day was one I vividly remember.

I was hoarse by the end of that game, all that preceded it put firmly out of mind! :-)

17. Red Arse says:

Chin up, CharyB,

Transient results are one thing, belonging to and supporting Arsenal, the best club in the world is another!! :-)

18. Smith14 says:

Chary,

Cheer up pal! It’s not really a horrible time to be an Arsenal fan is it? We are second in the league and 1 game away from another Semi Final.

I’d still rather be a Gooner than a Tottenham fan.

Liverpool are all happy at the moment and Chelsea have won 2 games on ther spin but they still trail a long way behnid us.

Come on Gooners, lets get some perspective and realise how close we are to doing something special.

19. Red Arse says:

CharyB,

As adults we can handle the slings and arrows hurled at us by the Spuds and the Chavs, but it is harder for CharyB minor and other youngsters.

Remind him, that even if Chelsea and Manu get thru’ this round with the Spuds, only one of them can win the CL (subject to Barca) and so his time will come to laugh at his tormentors when they lose, as they eventually will! :-)

20. Yeah, I see what you mean guys – the bigger picture is we are not too badly off, but what annoys me is that Wenger is in a position to improve our chances but he keeps making damaging mistakes.
    Losing to moments of madness or lousy officiating s part of supporting a team but handicapping yourselves by crossing your fingers and hoping your second best defender stays fit otherwise we have our 4th choice(the squid) playing regularly and we bring in a reserve team CB(Miquel) at this critical time.
    RedA – you know kids can be cruel and he is such a vocal goner at school so he makes himself a target sadly. He loves the club like me, but I get the feeling of being let down by a number of players who had the chance to step up, but failed.

21. Carlito11 says:

Morning all- not around much but there appears to be quite a frenetic gnashing of teeth from Arsenal fans that Spurs have gone further than us in the Champions League. I’m not getting involved. Let them have their day in the sun- We’ve been residents of the Maldives in comparison!

22. Red Arse says:

CharyB,

Both you and CharyB minor will bounce back, even as soon as Saturday, all being well.

Almunia made an interesting comment saying he too was disappointed by certain players who towards the end at Barca were ‘walking’ not running to tackle etc.

He is factually right and on the surface it did not look good. But chasing the ball all game can be much harder than having the ball and passing it. I suspect a number of our players (not Lil’ Jack) were out on their collective feet. Hope they have had plenty of massages and rest before saturday.

23. Red Arse says:

Very true, Carlito, :-)

My 10:57 spells out what is going to happen to all but one of the british clubs left in, subject to Barca rolling over.

24. Carlito11 says:

Peaches, thanks for that great memory. As you rightly say- still much to aim for and no shame to go out to Barcelona. Our away form has been encouraging this season and I feel confident that when we next roll up to the Grove we will still be in contention for silverware. COYRRG!

25. With the injuries we may have does anyone see this as a possible starting XI against the manks?

Almunia

Eboue, the Squid, Kozzer, Gibbs

Denilson, Diaby, Jack

Rosickly, Bendy, Chamakh

26. RedA – I think Chary Minor is more resilient than his dad and he’ll be ok – the advantages of youth compared to being a miserable old curmudgeon like me.
    Funnily enough Chary major didn’t seem to hurt by the defeat, a more reserved character I guess.
    I wonder how Wenger will approach Saturdays game – best XI or rotate 7-9 players like he did for the previous FA Cup round.

27. Red Arse says:

CharyB,

Quite right, the kids will be fine! :-)

I hope that AW will put out his strongest side. But Le Prof has amind of his own on these matters and I for one would not second guess him.

28. RedA, I’d like to see(injuries permitting)
    Almunia

Sagna, Kozzer, Johan, Clichy

Jack, Cesc, Nasri

Bendy, Robin, Arshavin

If Song’s available obviously I’d slot in him Nasri’s place and move him up front into Bendy’s position, Bendy being benched then.

29. Carlito11 says:

According to Opta the last 9 FA Cup games between us and the Mancs have alternated in who wins. Last time ManUre won, so it’s our turn!

30. Gooner In Exile says:

2nd in the league game in hand, quarters of the FA Cup. Am I worried, only at the unwarranted criticisms of AW which seem to be coming from the media and occasionally amongst our own.

Have we progressed since last season, well CC final, further in FA Cup and more chance to win the league than last season.

Has Squilli been that bad at the back?

The only people to be questioned over Tuesday night are Cesc and RvP neither were fit enough in my opinion for a game of that magnitude.

So am I looking to blame Wenger….not a chance. If we slip out of Top 4 this year maybe.

But I will ask anyone who wants to replace AW, who would you employ instead?

Red Nose isn’t leaving ManUre anytime soon, Jose is at Real Madrid for the forseeable future, Hiddink….maybe but he’ll go back to Chavs before coming to us, Sven….

The field of managers to stand above AW is short very expensive and would make huge demands on our Board. Would we want a Jose to come in buy the necessary talent and forget the clubs future for the sake of his own trophy cabinet. I think I’ll stick with Wenger and his Youth Policy, within one to two years we will witness a very homegrown team achieve greatness and we can shut all the foreign talent only at Arsenal idiots. We already have Wilshere and Walcott as first choice, Lansbury, Frimpong and others progressing.

Stand tall, stand together and conquer all. We are the Arsenal, no one likes that we are where we are without doing it “the English” way, we have a chance to prove the doubters wrong and shut them up once and for all. Believe in the team and the boss.

Squeaky bum time for Red Nose he has admitted that we are his biggest threat and admits to being surprised we are still in the race, well let’s really surprise everyone and win the league.

31. Red Arse says:

CharyB,

I tend to agree with your team selection. Whoever gets selected will get our support.

GIE, well said. No argument here!! :-)

32. Carlito11 says:

GiE- I blame the Gunnersaurus! Sack him! Get rid of him! Terrible first touch. Takes the worst penalty I’ve ever seen! He MUST go!

33. dandan says:

Morning all, Good article Peaches: I am glad your opinion of TH14 is based purely on his football skills. :-)

As for Sundays game I would be diconnockerated (amazed) if AW puts anything like a full strength side out. The league must concentrate all our thoughts and energies now, we will never have a better chance of regaining our crown and must do everything to ensure we do.

My last word on the Barca match, I have been waiting to see some idiot saying Cesc did that back heel on purpose, gifting them a goal as he is off there at the end of the year, surprisingly I have not seen one has anyone else.

34. I’ll reserve judgement on whether I want AW to leave till the end of the season – I’m certainly frustrated by his intransigence and reluctance to show “tough love” to the players.

35. dandan says:

Chary you are a lucky man….Chary Major obviously has the wisdom of his years and Chary minor the optimism of his youth, you as the meat in the sandwich need to adopt an amalgam of the two.
    I wonder have Dad and junior ever threatened to bin you when you get it wrong. :-)

36. Tough love gets you know-where chary – you either love or don’t love, tough love just messes around with peoples heads.

37. Red Arse says:

Hi Dandan, :-)

I would hate to disappoint you!

I think Cesc deliberately backheeled that ball to Iniesta to allow Barca to score, because he is off there in the summer! :-)

That should draw the idiots out!!! :-)

38. Peachy, what I mean here is that Wenger tries too much to be a father figure for the players rather than a coach and is loathe to criticise or chastise under performing players, i.er. to take responsibility for their progression as players.

39. Oops, I’m one of those idiots RedA !

40. Gooner In Exile says:

Chary, have you considered what Wenger portrays to the media is different to what goes on behind closed doors?

He has shown he clearly has a temper, I’m sure it is shown occasionally.

41. Hi GiE – when I worked with Justin Hoyte’s dad he said to me that after every match, no matter what the result, he would not say a thing. For me the acid test of how a player progresses is have they improved since they joined us.
    Some in our squad have, but a significant number haven’t and I suspect that is because little pressure is exerted on them, either by the manager or competition for places.
    This is only how it looks to me, from the outside, I’m only trying to marry up the attitude I see from some of our players, like JET, Bendy, Randall and in the past Pennant, Bentley and Traore., with lack of progression and under performance

42. Red Arse says:

CharyB,

I was only teasing Dandan about his comment. I wasn’t really talking about idiots, or Cesc leaving!! :-)

43. Red Arse says:

CharyB,

How is Justin doing now? I have lost track of him.

44. He’s at Boro now RedA – smashing lad, a gooner to the core, but not quite good enough for us.
    Shame his dad is a mank !

45. Gooner In Exile says:

Chary agreed but what makes them different to Ramsey, Walcott, Nasri, Wilshere, JD. The environment is there for them to get better, it’s whether they have the desire/aptitude to improve.

Compare Eastmonds and Wilshere’s twitter feeds and you see two very different people, it is no surprise reading them that Wilshere is in our first team and Eastmond is getting splinters in his bum at Millwall.

46. GiE – I suppose some of our problems stem from too many of our squad being in the same stage of their development cycle so if some of our younger players don’t develop as quickly as hoped our first team results suffer more than if we had a balanced squad with more experienced players to help the youngsters develop.
    Letting lots of youngsters develop on their own without many guiding hands from older heads is always going to be risky, hence the barren years we have gone/are going through.

47. I feel a bit bad for spoiling the mood after Peachy’s upbeat post – it just all came splurging out after all the news about our latest round of injuries came out.
    Sorry Peachy, there’s always at least one party pooper. :(

48. dandan says:

Would be nice to see Aaron back in action this weekend alongside Jack, things are coming together, we are the future, never doubt it.
    Next years first teams squad cant wait to see it. keep the faith my friends

49. Red Arse says:

GIE,

I used to go to Barnet a lot to see the youth and reserve teams. I first saw Jack when he was about 14 and he looked the biz even then.

Randall and Lansbury in their different ways looked absolutely full of technical skill, although Lansbury lost his way a bit after he got a virus, but seems to be doing well again at Norwich. Randall seems to have gone off the radar, sadly.

Eastmond on the other hand never looked at the same level as the others. Every year Arsenal let go the unlucky ones who are not going to make it. From watching him I always thought Eastmond would have been one of these.

Clearly I know sod all, because he has played for the first team since. I am still not sure that he is a keeper tho’.

50. Red Arse says:

I’m with you on that Dandan.

And we have some really classy kids coming thru’ behind the current crop, and they will be our lifeblood in future seasons too.

nice post peaches.

i don’t know if it has been mentioned but fabregas was a complete twat trying to back heel the ball away on the edge of his area.

52. dandan says:

AW wants an apology from UEFA, and has told em so on camera, hats off to that man he is the business.

53. Red Arse says:

Dandan

UEFA claim that he said “…king idiot” to the ref. How likely is he to swear in English, or at all for that matter in any language?

I think they are …king idiots frankly! :-)

54. RedA – Eastmond is a midfielder…….boom boom !

55. D-Gooner says:

Quality post….. good old days. by the way check out my new blog @ http://dgooner.wordpress.com thx

56. Red Arse says:

CharyB,

I might send the humour police out to get you! :-)

57. Carlito11 says:

Guess who the ref is on Saturday? Unbelievable! :-(

58. Red Arse says:

Dowd?

Peaches,
    If that’s a “Girlie Post” then I’m Gay and Proud!

60. goonermichael says:

Great post Peaches and I’d been thinking about the week when the chav’s and the mancs knocked us out of the cups and we came from a losing position to beat the bindippers. I still can’t get over the embarrassment of us being out and the pikeys stinking out the quarter finals of the champions league. I haven’t changed my mind about Cesc though. He’ll be gone in the summer.

61. Carlito11 says:

Worse than that RA- I’ll give you another guess!

62. goonermichael says:

I did have my doubts Mickey

Chary,
    Yours is an upside down Micky House. At the final whistle, my ten year old son walked calmly over to the piano. Carefully moved his sheet music out of the way, then slammed both hands down on the keys with all force!

64. goonermichael says:

clattentwat

65. Carlito11 says:

Oops I’ve been strung along but a twit on twitter who told me it was Webb. Apparently not- sorry for this (shameface)

66. Red Arse says:

Clattenberg, Mason,

They are all as bad as each other Carlito.

67. Yeah Mdi89 – Chary major only gets wound up if you ban him from the PS3 – nothing else seems to faze him.
    I can’t believe we’ve got Clattenburg – for such a big game they’ve obviously picked the ref in form. He’s made no clangers lately(!)

For Fulham’s penalty shouts deniedlast week read ours on Saturday.

GM,
    We come in all shapes and sizes us gays!

Utd are going to be horribly fresh. Yuk!

70. Red Arse says:

Micky,

Give us a kiss and I won’t tell. :-)

71. chary – you are, of course, forgiven :)

Oh here we go. You think just because someone is gay that they are easy. You are all the same you homophobes!

73. While I was doing my research this morning I came upon this wonderful site full of stats :P

Have a look at this page

74. goonermichael says:

If it’s clattenberg we’ll need to forget about a double.

75. Carlito11 says:

Apparently- but my source is now someone I don’t fully trust- the ref will be Chris Foy.

76. I’m just a mood killer at times aren’t I but thanks for your magnanimity Peachy.
    Untypically I’ve got a bad feeling about Old Toilet, especially with Clattenburg in charge and no Cesc, Chesney or Song.
    Gulp.

77. Evonne says:

Peaches, that might make you smile, TH14 by Ray Parlour “He’s one of the best players I played with by a mile. Dennis Bergkamp and him was the catalyst for doing so well, the goals their scored … Ian Wright’s record, I thought it would never get beaten but Thierry came on to the scene and what a fantastic player and what a great guy as well.

He sat next to me in training, we had such a good laugh, he learned in English through me which is unbelievable because I can’t speak English myself. I remember when he scored against Manchester City, at home at Highbury, the ball hit the post and went it.

And we’ve done an interview after the game and I just said to him, ‘Just say we had a bit of luck off the beans on toast” which is a bit of slang for post and I thought he wasn’t going to say it but then all of a sudden he comes out with it and it was brilliant, he laughed, looked at me and I just walked off”

Evonne. That is a very funny story!

Don’t know why but the further we get from Weds the more convinced I become that we were robbed. At 1-1 against a team that now had to push forward we could well have taken advantage of the spaces created, and RvP was the man to do it.

So the referee …. and I am sure AW with his love of stats will point this out to UEFA.

Books 4 AFC players in the first half thereby stopping us from playing a pressing game for fear of a marginal timing error.

Books no Barca player despite Alves hacking down Nasri twice and Abidal throttling RvP.

Sends off RvP in a ludicrous fashion when it would appear AFC will get something from the game.

Ref has a 30 game unbeaten stretch with games involving Spanish sides

Gives a penalty when Barca needed one. I maintain that Kos got into position prior to the Barca player diving over his leg. Watch it again.

AW played the game with a clear tactic in mind – to wait, absorb the pressure and give it full throttle in the last 20 minutes. The referee stopped that possibility.

Well done to the Cave dwellers and their fans. A momentous night for them and let them enjoy their moment in the spotlight…….. it will be many years before they get another ;-)

Though (and written in a stage whisper) they are developing a very good squad and with the addition of a decent striker could be serious competition. Hopefully their squad will be decimated by the end of summer – Bale would look very good in an Arsenal shirt.

80. Gooner In Exile says:

Raddy if only the spotlight was on the Spuds, instead on guess which radio station they are focussing on Arsenes comment about UEFA charges. And yet again trying to convince themselves that Arsene is clueless and is never going to take us to a trophy again. And then said if we did the double it wouldn’t be considered a success. IDIOTS!

I know I shouldn’t listen, but they are pure wind up merchants.

You can see why RedNose doesn’t bother with giving interviews, they ask AW a question, he gives his opinion and get slated for it.

It’s time for AW to blank the press screw the consequences and concentrate on somehow lifting ourselves to a level to win the double.

81. dandan says:

GIE you just make then worse by listening and pushing up their figures mate watch the pool on channel 5 instead :-)

82. goonermichael says:

Chesney looks like he may be out for the season. That’s a real blow if it’s true. I agree with your view Raddy but I’ve had nothing but ridicule from gooners as wel as spuds. mancs and the like. We’ll never know unfortunately

83. Red Arse says:

I think you could have been right GM.

OK, Bendy made a horlicks of that beautiful pass from Jack towards the end of the game, when even a toe poke would have seen us thru’. But he was there to try, wasn’t he?

With 11 men that chance could have happened earlier and been repeated.

That’s football and it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that given a second chance Bendy or RVP would have buried it. Bugger it! That ref did us. :-(

GM. I couldn’t give a rat’s arse what Spuds ,Mancs or Martians think. I know and Arsene knows.

GIE. May I endorse DanDan’s wise words.

There are only 5 manager’s in the history of English football who have won the Double, and guess what, Arsene Wenger is one of them (and twice!).

Someone today told me that “it was only a game”. Visiting hours are between 12 and 2.

RA Exactly. Take Cesc off, put on AA, take Rosicky off, put on Nik and we have another more attacking team. True we open the possibility of conceding, but if we score we are through

87. Gooner In Exile says:

It’s okay Lomas has come on and talking sense, just said to a question how close Spurs are, he said still along way away.

Would watch Pool DanDan but I’m still travelling home. I hear they are struggling between the rocks too.

88. I think we definitely could have gone on to win the game with the right subs. When Robin went off it was 1-1, Barca could still score which would only lead to extra time.

Raddy – I’m with you – not on the visiting hours though as we’re open 24/7 – with AA and Nik on for Cesc and Rosicky we would have at least had a fit creative player and a target men.

89. Why does Arsene have to say that Barcelona deserved to win? TS keep going on about decisions that didn’t go for Barca – a penalty shout on Messi, Messi’s goal that wasn’t off-side at the Ems, Djourou hand-ball but what about Abidal’s grabbing Robin by the throat, no yellow cards for the systematic clipping of Jack and Nasri’s ankles?

It’s a nonsense, there are always decisions that don’t go either teams way but to give a yellow for a kick within a second of a whistle is blatantly bizarre.

90. Red Arse says:

It was not just Abidal grabbing and throttling RVP, Alves grabbed Samir by the throat too.

I am not hallucinating! I have kept the ;photo from the paper.

Both could have been given red. Then what?

Bollocks!!

91. goonermichael says:

Peaches
    talk sport are utter c…s

92. Gooner In Exile says:

Ok in face of the media onslaught of out club time for some perspective and a look to the future…..

GKs:

RvP
    Walcott
    Bendtner
    Chamakh
    Afobe
    Watt

Brackets denote might not be here next season.

Where would the doubters have us buy? If AW had bought a keeper would Szcezney be at the club, would we buy a centre back to stifle the development of Bartley, Kozzer, or Miquel.

The only position we look weak in is up front.

93. Gooner In Exile says:

That’s 36 players….hmmmm not sure how that works with 25 man squad rule. Not sure how we fit nee signings in either

94. dandan says:

Any one under 21 doesnt count GIE

95. goonermichael says:

Shevchenko

96. goonermichael says:

I’ve been to Kiev. Beautiful women :) .

97. London says:

I would be amazed if there was a single signing over the age of 21 in the summer.

As I have said before, I think there is a gap on the left. We needa speed merchant, just to give us an alternative weapon. If Ashley Young was given a Wenger education, he could be the man, especially as rumour has it he is a big Arsenal fan and his brother is in the Arsenal Academy

99. Gooner In Exile says:

But what would he cost Raddy?

Oh and I missed a player who would give us that speed …….. Ryo, not only a speed merchant but skilful, assuming we can convince Immigration he deserves a work permit.

Yesterday I came to the conclusion the ref was an idiot.

Today, after much ruminating, I have to second Evonne’s point that the second yellow on RvP was so odd that it’s more likely that the ref was bent.

A West Ham fan and a Man Utd fan who are friends of mine both separately said they were 100% convinced it was a fix, and that the ref had booked so many Arsenal players so early precisely so he could ensure giving a second yellow to one of them and reducing us to 10 men.

Was it personal bias on the ref’s part (quite possible given his track record of reffing games involving Spanish teams)? Or was it outright corruption, with money involved? Who knows. But it was so, so odd.

Btw Peaches – thanks for the uplifting post.

Busy day – will be around more tomorrow. Night all.

Sent off for violent play! The world’s gone mad.

103. Evonne says:

Chas – that’s hillarious :) was that Fellaini in mankini?

There’s a New Post

105. linda says:

i love you theirry henry