Arsenal’s lack of sharp shooting gives O’s a payday

Written by GoonerinExile

After the highs of Wednesday night, expecting either the fans or the players to get excited about the game against Leyton Orient was a big ask.

So with that in mind and also the visit of Stoke on Wednesday night and the trip to Wembley on Sunday we could only expect Arsene to field a much changed side.

The likely candidates were given a much needed outing, Squillaci, Rosicky, Gibbs, Denilson, Chamakh and Bendtner all needing starts. The surprise selection was our 18 year old Spanish centre back Ignasi Miquel. Remaining spots filled by Sagna, Arshavin and Song.

This side looked strong enough on paper to overcome League One opposition, unfortunately football, as the old adage goes, isn’t played on paper, it turns out at Brisbane Road it isn’t played on grass either, but still the pitch should not be used as an excuse as it seemed in the main to be flat enough to play our style of football on.

At kick off I sunk back into my sofa to relax and enjoy the match, this was my change from Wednesday night when I couldn’t move from the edge of my seat for 90 minutes of football.

Despite controlling possession from kick off the play stagnated around the edge of Orient’s box, where it became ponderous and confused in front of two banks of four defending. Bendtner seems in these games to think he can walk the ball around the opposition and forgets the Wengerball principle of pass and move, often realising too late that he needed to release the ball, and by then being too far into a treble stepover to do anything about it.

Chamakh was holding the ball up well and attempting to bring others in to the play, when through a combination of his hold up, a pass by Rosicky and a cross from Gibbs he was presented a chance on a plate but fluffed his lines and failed to get enough contact with the ball to give us an opener.

The first half played out with us camped mainly in their half or, if not in their half, in our half with possession in droves. Still failing to create any more clear cut chances except for a quick bit of interplay between Bendtner and Arshavin which saw the latter shoot wide at the near post and into the side netting.

Bendtner was shooting from improbable angles and positions but that is I suppose better than failing to have an effort on goal.

The second half continued as it left off with the team stalling in Orient’s defensive third. That was until Sagna decided to fire a shot from well over twenty yards, which after a bit of ping pong found its way to Bendtner who moved the ball wide to find space and picked out Rosicky with a cross, a well placed header later and it was one nil to the Arsenal.

Following the goal Orient then decided to play a bit and broke their banks of four at the back, this should have meant that we could then break through in numbers and on the counter. Twice after our goal breaks were made, but where we would normally expect to see two or three players join the break Arshavin had to make do with trying to score from 18 years out, and Song had to try and beat the defence on his own when he found himself clear.

Lacking match fitness or too frightened to commit men forward the team allowed Orient to get a foothold in the match, then the crowd started to get involved, and eventually we were made to pay for our ineffectiveness going forward, the ball falling to Tehoue, who in a blink of eye had skipped past Gibbs and Miquel and was through on goal, he smashed it as hard as he could between the legs of Almunia and added an unnecessary game to our fixture list.

In summation I think the team should have been good enough, but for whatever reason once they had got their noses in front decided to sit back and see out a comfortable win, I guess no one in the side got the memo that Barry Hearn wanted a replay at the Emirates and seemed to think what Orient had been giving up until the 53rd minute was all they could muster, they ended up getting a shock for their naivety.

A quick word on our debutant Miquel, for an 18 year old he appeared very calm at the back, unflustered in possession, and quick to read the game. Another cracking prospect for us to look forward to seeing more of.

Ratings:

Almunia 6 (still hesitant when the ball is his for the taking)

Sagna 7 (untroubled defensively, supported attack well when given the ball)

Squillaci 7 (great block with his face, otherwise untroubled)

Miquel 7 (would have been 8 but for his part in Orients goal)

Gibbs 6 (not as attacking as I would hope and dived in to give Tehoue the room to get away)

Rosciky 7 (seems to be unable to find his teammates consistently enough, but did score!)

Denilson 6 (kept the ball moving, rash in the tackle)

Song 6 (needed to step up to the plate and move the team forward more)

Arshavin 7 (always showing and continued to try for 90 minutes, shame his teammates were not on same wavelength)

Chamakh 6 (a shadow of the player we saw at the start of the season)

Bendtner 6 (needs to be taken down a peg or two, glimpses of skill followed by a lot of arrogance)

117 Responses to Arsenal’s lack of sharp shooting gives O’s a payday

Lots of comments already posted on the previous post this morning so if anyone wants to re-post theirs please feel free.

I am disappointed that the second string keep doing this to us but is it so hard to train them as a team? The front 6 yesterday included Song but the rest would surely have been able to train as part of the same team. They must by now know how to find each other and where their strengths are. They just don’t seem to click.

2. Red Arse says:

Well written GIE, that’s pretty much how I saw it too.

Your earlier comment about Chamakh, marries up with a similar comment made yesterday by Raddy about Bendy.

Neither seem to know or be suitable for the positions they are asked to play in. Square pegs and all that, possibly because of the need to give them games.

3. Smith14 says:

Not sure I agree with the idea that Bendtenr needs to be taken down a peg or two. I don’t see what he did so wrong yesterday plus he created our goal.

He’s got a laid back style and bundles of self confidence. I’m certain he’d be a better player if his own fans got behind him a bit more. It’s his arrogance that got him that goal against Ipswich for example. He has self belief so why do we look to knock him?

I have changed my mind slightly with reference to us having an A team and a B team.

Sagna is our first choice right back.Arshavin (our highest paid player if what i read is correct ) is a class player but has had a dip in form,and didn’t play badly..Song has been brilliant in several games this season, maybe he hadn’t come down from the Barca game or was upset about being subbed in the Barca game.
    What was missing was a midfield general and on current form one needs at least 2 of 3 from Jack,Samir and Cesc.

I have watched the game again and Almunia was awful from his attitude and display and Wenger needs to ship him out ASAP.

Denilson,Gibbs,Bendtner and to an extent Chamakh are B team players,at least for now.
    Rosicky though he scored doesn’t offer enough to change a game .
    Many games to go but i wouldn’t be surprised to see Arshavin,Rosicky and Bedntner all leave in the summer,but we need a fox in the box to compliment the A team, aswell as cover for RVP.

This is from the last post.

5. Red Arse says:

Guys and Gals,

I have to go and see a man about a dog, so won’t be around for a while, but hope to be back Wednesday if all goes well.
    Luckily you cannot see my trembly fingers! Scared? Moi? :-)

Thanks for your welcome comment last night Rocky, really appreciated. :-)

Football is full of opinions, particularly about individual players, and we all tend to modify or change those opinions depending on what we see in front of us from match to match. That is human nature and makes for lively debate.

The following item shows two views that will perhaps never be compatible. Bye for now. :-)

–A guy in a hot air balloon realized he was lost. He reduced altitude and spotted a man below. He descended a bit more and shouted: “Excuse me, can you help me? I promised a friend I would meet him an hour ago but I don’t know where I am.”

The man below looked up and replied, “You’re in a hot air balloon hovering approximately 30 feet above the ground. You’re between 40 and 41 degrees north latitude and between 59 and 60 degrees west longitude.”

“You must be an Engineer” said the balloonist.

“I am” replied the man. “How did you know?”

“Well,” answered the balloonist, “everything you have told me is probably technically correct, but I’ve no idea what to make of your information and the fact is, I’m still lost. Frankly, you’ve not been much help at all. If anything, you’ve delayed my trip by your talk.”

The man below responded, “You must be in Management.”

“I am” replied the balloonist, “How did you know?”

“Well” said the man, “You don’t know where you are or where you’re going.
    You have risen to where you are, due to a large quantity of hot air.
    You made a promise to someone, which you’ve no idea how to keep, and you expect people beneath you to solve your problems.
    The fact is you are in exactly the same position you were in before we met, but now, somehow, it’s my ***king fault.”

Thanks for the match report GiE. The plusses are that Miguel looks like a prospect and we’re still in the cup and are unlikely to risk many of the ‘first team’ in the replay.

I agree that (similar to the first game against Ipswich) these players need more time to gel as a unit. AA looked like the only playmaker whereas I would have thought that was Rocsicky’s role to orchestrate play and feed the ball to AA and Bendy. I don’t know how (except in training) the club can give these players the opportunity to form a cohesive team, but as many have said, they should have been more than capable of beating Orient.

7. Gooner in Exile says:

Morning all again, I’m not sure if its not gelling but too many similar players, if say RvP and Cham were injured Nik B would play upfront, instead he finds himself on the right wing as he needs game time.

I agree Smith re Nik B, he is confident and that is good for a footballer, did you hear that he has the highest self opinion in the Arsenal squad after some psyche tests, literally nothing is his fault, and when things go well in his mind it is all of his doing.

He can sometimes over elaborate when playing the minnows, thinking he is far superior, and forgets the basics, this is why I find him frustrating, because he has a lot of the attributes to be a top player, I think his touch and ball control are better than some give him credit for, but for some reason he doesn’t do the basics right in these types of games, he is looking to be the hero, or to steal the managers eye.

Just looking at his stats they are not as bad as some would imagine, these have to be taken in context of the type of appearances (probably more often than not sub, rather than starting).

06/07 (Birmingham) 13 goals, 9 assists, 48 appearances
    07/08 9 goals, 4 assists, 40 appearances
    08/09 15 goals, 4 assists, 50 appearances
    09/10 12 goals, 7 assists, 31 appearances
    10/11 5 goals, 2 assists, 21 appearances (11 starts)

At least 1 goal in 3 appearances in 09/10 and this season looking good too, and only 23, how many youngsters could boast those numbers.

Abonglahor at (24) has managed 3 from 22 this season, with 16 starts

Rooney (26) has scored 6 from 21, with 18 starts.

Crouch (30) 6 from 33, with 21 starts.

Torres (26) 9 from 27, with 26 starts.

8. Good luck Red Arse, come back soon :)

9. brian says:

How can you award Almunia 6 marks.He fumbled a couple of straight forward saves and dived over the ball for the goal.
    Bendtner looked totally at home playing against a League one team.
    How much further backwards can Gibbs go.
    To say Miguel played well is slightly patronising.He had nothing of difficulty to do until,together with Gibbs and Almunia he let Orient equalise.Kyle Bartley is a much better prospect.
    Chamakh seems to have totally lost it.

10. Smith14 says:

Brian,

Admittedly Almunia could have done better but, he is now our 3rd choice keeper. It’s not a massive problem.

As for suggesting Bendtner is a league 1 player, have a look at the stats posted above by GiE.

Gibbs makes one mistimed challenge and all of a sudden he’s regressed.

Let’s get some perspective please. Ok, it wasn’t the result we wanted and it’s another game we didn’t need but we didn’t play terribly. We should beat Orient, of course, but things don’t work out that easily. Sometimes we have to accept that you don’t win week in week out and every negative result doesn’t require an in depth post mortem.

11. Hi Smith14 – my young footie friend was delighted with the draw as she’ll get to go to the replay …. the more games the merrier as far as she’s concerned :P

12. Gooner in Exile says:

I need to see the goal again I’m not sure I blame Almunia that much, as he broke through I could see a goal coming Tehoue larapped (sp.) it and it could have gone anywhere, Almunia had to rely on his reactions which are understandably rusty.

Yes Gibbs dived in but yet again he is 21, and has not had enough football and is STILL learning to be a Left Back, check him out he has been a Centre Midfielder for our youth and for England youth setups.

And regarding Miquel I can only judge him on what I saw. Comfortable in possession and in the air.

I saw Bartley commit a very un Arsenal like tackle to get booked in the Old Firm yesterday, he is a big lad with strength and I’m sure back at home he can be great for us too.

Your comments Brian are full of negative, we should try and look for positives in every game, how much more positive should we feel than ManUre looking at their B Team? Bebe and Obertan average at best and Crawley outplayed them at OT for large amounts of the game.

Our B team controlled a game in their backyard and should’ve killed the game off, we paid the price for complacency, another valuable lesson learned for Wenger about his players and for the players themselves.

Again you’d have thought we’d lost. We’ve lost 1 in 16 since Christmas. And the one loss was overturned in the 2nd leg.

If Bendtner shows up with a vital winner against Brum will we appreciate him then? (remember Morrow and Linnighan?)

13. Smith14 says:

Peaches,

Professionally speaking, we could do with as few games as possible at this stage but, personally, I’m more than happy for all the opportunities to go to The Emirates.

Equally, as someone who used to stand on the North Terrace at Brisbane Road as a penniless student, it’s a good opportunity for us to help out a neighbour.

Certainly no reason to be too upset.

I don’t see any negatives from yesterday’s result, only question marks against some player’s level of performance. A win by a second string team at the Emirates will be all positive.

Arsenal at its best, like Barca, is a very finely tuned machine that requires all the major components to be working. We have seen this season that losing more than 2 or 3 key players can destroy our rhythm and cohesion.

We are lucky to be at pretty much full strength at this stage of the season – a luxury we haven’t enjoyed for many years. I would expect manu and Arsenal to field weaker teams in the next round of the FA cup if we’re still both in the CL and title race.

15. Rasp – I don’t think it’ll go down very well if we field a team with as many changes as yesterday’s though. Change Jack or Cesc for Denilson and Theo for Nik on the right and I think we would have put the tie to bed yesterday.

16. Gooner in Exile says:

Rasp and if we are still in the FA Cup!

17. dandan says:

Good Report GIE, I made my feelings known this morning before your post. So wont go into detail again, suffice it to say we will play again at the Emirates with basically the same team and I expect us to win.
    Pity poor old AL let it go through his legs, but he was hardly match sharp,having not played for weeks, had been a spectator for much of this match and is probably leaving at season end. Considering that lot his mind was probably elsewhere and who can blame him.

I think had Theo played and AA played on the left we would have won, and certainly will win at the Grove.

As RA says, this is a discussion site and emotions can run high after a game – long may it continue !

RA. Courage mon Ami. All will be well.

Hi GiE,

As I said, I expect us and manure to rest a couple of players in the next round of the FA cup, but once in the semis we should field the strongest team.

We do have quite a few ‘physical challenges’ coming up – Stoke, brum, Sunderland etc and so we have to hope that karma intervenes in our favour this time and we can stay free from injuries. I see Barca have lost their keeper and possibly Puyol as well as Piquet for the return leg – maybe its our turn to get lucky and not manure or pool.

20. dandan says:

Hush your mouth Rasp, don’t tempt providence mate:-)

I am through the misery of yesterday and remain basking in the glory of Wednesday evening.

Stoke this week and we can continue our PL run. Unbeaten in 2011.

22. dandan says:

BA I was happy until 5 minutes ago and then the bloody tax man delivered my new code number. GRRRRRRRRRR

Raddy,

I keep replaying that second goal in my mind. It was near perfection – far far better than the Rooney goal.

We were under the cosh deep in our own half with Barca swarming all over us and within the space of 2 swift and perfect passes we were on the edge of their box whilst most of their team were still in our half. Nasri’s vision to allow RvP to be the decoy and draw defenders to the side and then AA’s gut busting run was rewarded by the pinpoint pass aaaarrrggghhh its just too good. AA’s finish … speechless – and it was against Barca. Gurardiola could only look on in admiration.

I can think of maybe a couple of goals involving Pires and Henry that were such complete masterpieces.

Barca will be very wary of us hitting them on the break over there. They’ve seen what we can do. Maybe that goal alone will change their game plan. We will score at the CN.

Karma dandan :lol:

26. dandan says:

I can think of better words Rasp, Remember I am but a poor pensioner :-)

DD. Over here, basic rate tax starts at 48% and over €20k rises steeply. One can pay over 80% in income tax.

VAT is 25%

Car taxes are unbelievable. One takes the cost of the car and add 180% to it in tax!! Which means that a €20k car costs a Dane €56k, and as you will know, €20k does not buy much …..

Be Thankful :-)

GIE. That was a fine match review and I agree most of the player ratings…. except.

I think Nik played better than Chamakh, so 5 and 6 for them

Arshavin was my Arsenal MoM so an 8 for him

29. dandan says:

Bloody hell BR no wonder you like a drink mate. One question…. is it worth it

And one is taxed on one’s state pension !!

One answer. …. Yes, if like me you have socialist tendencies (and an eye for a beautiful blonde!)

32. dandan says:

Yes so am I BR, that is actually all I complain about, when you pay a bloody site more tax than your state pension and then they put your pension up and tax you more, you do get a trifle peed off

33. ryandanielwood says:

Rasp, I agree with you about the 2nd goal, I rarely watch highlight reels (especially on ITV player!) but I rewound that moment over and over again, just beaming and awash with joy, a perfect goal. My only adjustment to your version would be that Guardiola wasn’t so much looking on in admiration (at least when the camera jumped to his expression)he simply looked vacant…

his team are actually quite smug when they talk off the field, and for all the lessons we were apparently given on the pitch, they could take a bite of our humble pie in post match interviews…

Hi rdw,

You’re right, maybe shellshocked disbelief best sums up Guardiola’s expression. I like him, he’s a gentleman.

35. ryandanielwood says:

yes, and i felt for him in his ITV PM interview.

“So Pep did the best team win?”

What kind of question is that?

“Arsenal, no brainer, give some hard ones Gabriel.”

;P

In all seriousness “Pep” should have nutted him.

36. Gooner in Exile says:

Re match ratings for me everyone starts at 7 and has the potential gain/lose points from there.

Arshavin would have got himself an 8 if he had found the net with that effort that clipped the post in the second half. 3 inches from a 2-0 win. Bah!

This week is so important, must win both, one to keep pressure on ManUre and the other to shut the “no trophy” brigade up.

as much as wenger got it right with the subs against barca he got it wrong yesterday.10 changes was just too many.

with regards to keepers i would advocate one keeper for all games,chesney should start every game from now and as a compromise next season if/when fab is fit he can be number 2.

38. Gooner in Exile says:

Ryan if I didn’t have to watch ITV or listen to their numpty pundits again I’d be a happy man.

I feel sorry for Southgate working with Townsend, Beglin, Drury and Childs. They even recently employed the master of restarts Fat Sam to provide analysis…….way to move football on!

39. London says:

London says:
    February 20, 2011 at 10:56 am (Edit)

Morning BR

I agree with your team above and I think it is the right way forward for the club.

Is there anyone who thinks today’s line up should be the same as Wednesday? There shouldn’t be and by realising that I hope people stop writing that we should always field our strongest team. To call for that shows a lack of understanding of our squad system. The team above is not the strongest we have but it should be more than enough to beat Orient and if it isn’t, so what because, as the thrust of the post above says, we really have bigger fish to fry.

40. Gooner in Exile says:

10 changes to the starting XI maybe Kelsey, but AA, Cham, Squilli and Nik B have all played a part in recent games, Sagna would have started against Barca and one of the changes was in goal which shouldn’t upset the balance of the attacking play.

We were weakest yesterday in the centre midfield trio, it just didn’t tick over as well without Cesc and LJ, and there was not enough running beyond the forwards in the final third.

41. ryandanielwood says:

Gie,

I agree a right bunch of fart spouters, the lot of them. Southgate does manage to keep his small bursts of analysis tight enough to make partial cohesion with the events on the field. But it seems the big games, go with Tyldesley and Townsend, because of their big game banter. It’s woeful for the atmosphere you try to create in your living room watching on, cringing.

Commentary seems to be a drama within itself, i’m surprised they don’t plug their own twitters during play, the way they think so much of themselves.

The Micky Pre-Match Level Gauge is DEAD.
    LONG LIVE the Micky Blood Pressure Gauge.
    GiE,
    Great report, thank you.
    RA,
    Thoughts are with you, speedy return.

Dark clouds are gathering. As I have mentioned, am off to States for a week and will miss CC Final. London pointed me towards a sports bar on Manhattan, which as it turns out, is the home of The New York Gooners. However, my paying hosts have just invited me to their home in the sticks for sunday lunch. This is very bad news.
    There is a crisp tenner for the best excuse!

44. Carlito11 says:

Afternoon all- thanks for the balanced match report GoonerinExile. I would have been hard pressed after throwing all my toys out the pram at throwing another lead away. As has been said here enough, it’s not the end of the world- I was just hacked off at sitting through 90 mins of a pretty lousy match and having even the good result snatched away like that. Anyway, enough grumbles!
    Here’s a video of Ryo Miyaichi’s latest game at Feyenoord- some great skills but still needs a final ball when crossing- can see a version of Duran Duran’s “Rio” making a cracking song for this lad!

45. dandan says:

Only one word for ITV’s coverage “EMBARASING” that silly table by the touchlne is more Mickey Mouse than Disney.

46. Carlito11 says:

Micky- claim to be a Plymouth Bretheren of other similarly austere protestant. The Sabbath is sacred and for convening with higher powers only (Arsenal in our case!)

47. Carlito11 says:

*or*

48. Carlito11 says:

Actually it needn’t be a real sect- call yourself a devout “Wengerian”- that should do it!

49. dandan says:

Go with a good grace Mickey, leave your phone on vibrate and get your mates to keep you up to speed.
    New City enjoy the experience.

Carlito,
    Perhaps revealing the truth (that I am a Cultist) may not be the best idea, however more alarmingly, as the best, if only excuse so far, that may be the winning offer!

51. dandan says:

Jack W. Tweet: jack_wilshere Classic cup game that..we will have to beat them at home! Great crowd aswell.well done to Miquel.great debut and who said we need a new CB! 19 hours ago · reply

The lads a gent as well

dandan,
    I know from experience how important it is to get one’s priorities right for the sake of all. Shortly after proposing to my now wife, we agreed that the next day we would think about a date for the big day. To her horror she arrived down in the morning to find me logged on to the FA web page, looking up the date for FA Cup Final. I had to explain that our wedding day would be the most important day of my life, and that I would need my mind on the job. How could I concentrate should it happen the The Arsenal were playing in the final and chasing the double. We did the double and were married the following weekend!

53. Carlito11 says:

Mickey, it should be an 11.30 KO in NY- why not suggest a late lunch? Could be the easiest option…

You mean as a result of my morning cultist obligations?

55. dandan says:

Have no argument with that Mickey whenever possible Priorities need to be addressed, but if your host has made alternative arrangements tough…. I presume this is a business trip IMHO in these tough and dodgy times one has to protect ones income first, business can be a pig but it does pay the bills.
    Good luck hope it works out for you

dandan,
    Yip, that is a great tweet. That bloke is a superstar.

57. dandan says:

Mickey look on the bright side should we lose, how much business you gonna lose when you blow your top, perhaps better you don’t know LOL

58. Wonderman says:

Afternoon all, great post GIE.For the most part I agree with everything you have said. I am disappointed that we didnt hold on to the lead, but it is not a disaster. Leyton Orient did what was good for them , with their players, on their pitch, and it worked. On a much bigger, slicker surface they will not be so successfull.

For me Bedntner goes wide when he should stay central and vice versa, yesterday he dribbled when he should have passed and vice versa. For those who point at his scoring record, in a team that produces the number of chances we do thats the least that he should be producing. I will be surprised if he is with us next season.

I thought Miguel oozed class for one so young and gave a very good account of himself, will be interesting to see what happens with Bartley in the summer

A very wise and sagely attitude.

60. Carlito11 says:

Mickey, on another note, returning to your follically inspired piece of last week- check this link to early Fabregas hairstylings. I’d almost forgotten how mad his hair was! http://blog.footballrascal.com/legendary-haircut-of-the-week-early-cesc-fabregas/

Yuk, its a Waddle or a Hoddle!!

62. dandan says:

mickey The Keegan was the worst looked like Jimmy Hendricks :-)

Bad news. Plymouth Argyle in administration. Shame. Great club, great fans and of course Paul Mariner.

“The Keegan” :-)

65. Carlito11 says:

Off again- work to catch up on after not doing anything for 48 hours pre-Barca due to excitement/ nerves and for 24 hours after due to elation/ lack of voice! Who’s going to Stoke on Weds? If so, I’ll be up for a prematch pint…

“Who’s going to Stoke on Weds?”. That’s just winding me up. Have fun.

Work too. Ugh.

Good post GiE, with plenty of sensible perspective.

Let’s remember that, but for the thickness of the woodwork, we would have won 2-0.

And but for the thickness of the woodwork ManUre would have been facing a replay against Crawley Town.

I can’t say I’m too worried by yesterday.

micky
    Lovely story about your wedding. Married in 1971 then…

70. Gooner in Exile says:

My wedding last year I made sure to miss World Cup, as it was Opening England match was whilst I was on honeymoon but I got to watch from comfort of my hotel room, not that it was worth it!

Great footage of Ryo Carlito, nice find, he looks pretty useful, but unfortunately that tackle he received towards the end of the clip will be very similar to what will be dished to him if we manage to get him a work permit. Reminded me a lot of the gelled tumbler (C Ronaldo) early days at ManUre.

71. Gooner in Exile says:

Is sad news Micky, I seem to remember Peter Reid having to pay the electric bill back in November/December to keep them afloat.

Risdale as a consultant is strange (wasn’t he involved in bringing Leeds under?)

They owe £300k to the Revenue by all accounts, whats that just over 2 weeks of Fabio Capello’s salary?

72. dandan says:

Just been listening to the worsening situation in the Arab world, Grand Prix Cancelled, Gaddafi thought to be on way to Venezuela.

So thought for the day what happens to City if Arab countries all get involved in the civil unrest.

GIE,
    yes he was and at cardiff. The more i know the best i keep quiet.

dandan, and civil unrest in morocco which is visible from our home.

74. Carlito11 says:

Dandan- can’t see it happening in AbuDhabi- oil revenues mean no one pays income tax!

75. Carlito11 says:

Gie- I’ve been following ryo more than any other young prospect since carlito vela- he’s great to watch- c ronaldoesque as you say. Never easy to judge the differences he’ll face in the prem but I think you are right that he’ll take a lot on his ankles! The other difference seems to be that Dutch defenders seem to stand off him so I haven’t seen how he deals with the kind of close attention he’ll get playing for us. An exciting prospect nonetheless!

76. dandan says:

Hope you are right Carlito

Rocky,
    ’71 ?!!!?! No, the second of our doubles…cheeky sod :-)

I know micky – just teasing :)

Rasp, Peaches
    I have put an offering for tomorrow into Drafts.
    It includes a couple of YouTube links, but it would be much better if the actual YouTube clips could be included, except I don’t know how to do that… maybe you clever clogses can do it for me…

80. Irishgunner says:

Hi everybody,

Who wants to do me a favour?

I need a couple of Gooners to answer a few general questions for an article I am doing for Sports Haze.

Arsenal, Arsenal and any other site you contribute too and want to be plugged will be plugged.

81. Irishgunner says:

* PS the article is on the Carling Cup Final

82. Hi Rocky – thanks for the article, I’ll do the youtube thang for you. When do you arrive in the UK?

Irish – how do you want to ask the questions, email?

Who wants to write the Stoke game up – any volunteers?

Irish,
    Count me out, won’t be around sadly!

Peaches,
    Count me out, won’t be around sadly!
    Anything else I’m missing out on. Annual AA Piss Up perhaps?

85. Irishgunner says:

Hi Peaches – yup by e-mail.

86. Irishgunner says:

MIDI – where are you going?? Anywhere nice or just not able to see the game?

To add, I need the replies by Thursday afternoon because the article needs to go up that evening, other wise it couldn’t be called “Terrace Talk on Thursday” :lol:

Annual AA Piss Up perhaps?

Actually, that sounds all wrong doesn’t it!

Irish,
    Yes, nice. NYC, but it is work.

Time for stew. Out.

90. Irishgunner says:

Ah nice NYC is a nice spot, pity about the work part :(

I love my work, so no sympathy required, but thanks. Really over and out.

92. dandan says:

You can ask me if it will help Irish, I wont be offended if you dont as I am an armchair fan

93. Irishgunner says:

Dandan – that’d be great. I’ll e-mail you on the questions. Thanks :D

94. dandan says:

Cant do before tomorrow afternoon Irish as taking dog to vets first thing in the morning. If thats ok I am ok

95. London says:

What’s all this nonsense about work taking priority over watching Arsenal win a trophy…ridiculous, right lets sort this out ;)

Micky

Unfortunately, it is a 4pm GMT kick off, 11am in New York so you will be in the bar for two hours for the game, add watching Cesc lift the cup, plus lap of honour, so now you are downtown Manhattan at 2pm….tricky.

Solution: ask for a late lunch, explaining that your team are in the equivalent of the Super Bowl.

If that doesn’t fly.

Plan B, having explained your predicament, your hosts should be quite understanding and so at this point ask them if they have the FOX Soccer channel, if they don’t offer to pay for a month’s subscription, it is only five dollars and they get 16 channels…trust me I have been in the position of having to see the opening match of the season and this worked. If your hosts are game for this get round there early make sure everything is up and running, then explain that pubs open in England at 10.30 and it is quite normal for Brits to get stuck into the beer early on. The advantage of being there for the game is that while you are watching Arsenal winning our first trophy in five years your hosts can be making lunch and all you have to do is move from the telly to the dinning table and tuck into some celebratory Champagne while reliving Van Persie’s winning goal with your hosts.
    Job Done.

I have just checked the FOX soccer and they are showing the game live.

96. Irishgunner says:

Dandan – just e-mailed you. I don’t need it until Thursday afternoon – look after your dogs :)

Peaches
    Thanks for sorting the Youtube.
    In on Saturday – but I do get an extra game thanks to the lads engineering a draw at Orient! (I don’t leave until Thursday).

98. dandan says:

London you are Incorrigible and a very bad man to put such temptation the poor mans way :-)

Irish
    I can answer a few Qs if you need more than one person.

100. 26may1989 says:

Drawing the match yesterday was a disappointment, nothing more, but am surprised most have been so gentle with Almunia. Diving over the ball or letting it go between your legs from about 10 yards away ain’t the mark of a good keeper, no matter how rusty and no matter how hard the ball was hit. I like Almunia, and feel he’s often been treated unfairly. But that was a sorry effort from Manuel yesterday.

We have a couple of interesting problems brewing between the sticks: there’s the Fabianski vs Szczesny one (we all know what the fans think, but Wenger?); and then there will be the question of a third choice keeper. We assume Almunia will move on (would be best for him and the club if he did) but you never know, he might still be around in August. Then there’s Mannone (impressive on loan at Hull, but may well feel he should move on) and the untested Shea.

Drawing bloody United away in the next round, if we beat Orient, is a pain, especially as it comes a few days after the mammoth match at Barca. But c’est la vie.

101. Irishgunner says:

Brilliant Rocky thanks – I’ll e-mail on the questions.

Micky

This is an opportunity to recruit new Gunners. As London says, buy them the channels and get in the beers. They will really want to see how the English love their sport and at the same time will have the opportunity to be good hosts.

Irish. If you need 3 interviews, email me.

103. dandan says:

Job Done Irish hope you have received it

104. Irishgunner says:

Dandan – Got it thanks.

BR – Just e-mailing you now thanks :) I’ve plenty now, thanks everyone, you guys are the bestest.

105. I’m with London on Micky piling the pressure on his hosts to watch the game, its a cup final after all. Micky’s biggest problem will be getting to his hosts by 10.30 am to open the beers :P

106. They’re having a great time at Upton Park :P

107. Neamman says:

Although I am happy for Orient having a big payday this is not a good result for us and to round off a truly bad sunday the very good guys lost to the very bad guys 3-0 up north1 :<(
    I tend to think several of yesterdays team will be off in the summer and people like Lansbury, Frimpong and JET will be playing more regularly.
    Question for the board. if you have to choose ..who would you keep Cham or Nic B?
    i go for Nic but Im a huge fan of his anyway. I always feel sorry for him having to go wide when he plays with Cham. I prefer him up front and maybe have Cham just behind.

108. Hi Neamman – nice to see you. I agree that its a shame for Nik to be pushed out wide while Chamakh gets to play up front but I would say that maybe its Nik’s confidence in his own ability that lets AW use him in that way. Nik doesn’t complain about where he plays only that he should be playing which is a good thing.

109. ryandanielwood says:

I’m happy to answer any questions Irish, I understand if you’re sorted, Rocky and DanDan are more than qualified to do it justice. my email is stackedactor2003@yahoo.co.uk

ship me the email whenever I am free all of tomoz.:)

110. harry671 says:

Carlito, defo up for pre-match pint on wednesday, you meeting up with Peaches and Rasp again?

Cham or Nik B? Earlier in season would have been Cham, but i actually feel that Nik B has more potential to unlock, just needs to get past his ego to the key hole to unlock it……..

My biggest moan is at Wenger, one match he cracks the substitute and tactical timing bang on, the next he misses the point…..

Firstly, at Wigan, he left it too late and we drew, against Leeds, 2-1 up, not closing it out he brings on Fabman and Robin, moments later 3-1 game over…

Play the rotation game by all means, but learn when to bring on when required…….Why not bring on Walcott against Orient, they would have struggled to deal with him…..

Also when he rotates leave a core of A teamers there, ie at least 4 and you’ll get away with it….

BUt I’ll let him off, he got it right against Barca and I’ll never forget that night…….

111. Gooner in Exile says:

26May said:
    “Evening all. Have been in the wilds of Norfolk, wrongly assumed there would be functioning internet there….”

Steady that’s my adopted home county your talking about!!

I’m down for Stoke and up for a beer, travelling in on the tube from Rickmansworth was going to walk from Kings Cross, anyone know how long it takes to get in on the Met line from Rickmansworth?

112. Gooner in Exile says:

Weirdly Arsenal actually sent me a proper ticket for the game rather than sticking it on my card, it hadn’t gone on GS as far as I’m aware!

113. 26may1989 says:

Irish, have just registered your earlier request – looks like you’ve got plenty of positive responses but happy to help out if needs be.

114. 26may1989 says:

Exile, I guess I should apologise for offending East Anglian sensibilities, but having all my roots there (my parents are from the delights of Lowestoft) I feel entitled to abuse and insult it!

I was up near Cromer for the weekend, love it up there, but bloody hell, it was chilly. And as for tinternet….

Rickmansworth to Kings X should take you about 45-50 minutes.

Would be delighted to meet some AA-ers for a pre-match drink, if something’s getting sorted.

115. Gooner in Exile says:

I’ll let you off 26, to be fair I take the pee out of the locals as much as others, benefit of not being born here :D

Went to see Ocean Colour Scene at UEA Norwich, halfway through Dion Dublin came out to play his Dube along with the band……surreal

There’s a New Post