Proof That Arsenal Are The Greatest Club The World Has Ever Seen

Form, as they say, is temporary. Class is permanent.

According to the form books, Barcelona are pretty good at the moment. And Chelsea have had a decent run over the last few years. Manchester United have had a great 20 years and we all know about the Liverpool heyday in the ‘70s and ‘80s.

But if you want a team and a club that has exuded pure, unadulterated class for its entire history then there’s only one: The Arsenal.

And here’s why:

Which team has spent the most consecutive seasons in the English top flight (90 years and counting)? ARSENAL

Which team holds the longest unbeaten sequence in the English top flight (49 games, from May 7th 2003 to October 16th 2004)? ARSENAL

Which team has the longest unbeaten away sequence in English league football (27 games, April 5th 2003 to September 25th 2004)? ARSENAL

Which team has the longest consecutive scoring run in league games in England (55 games from May 19th 2001 to November 30th 2002)? ARSENAL

Who scored the most away goals in an English league season (60 goals in 1930/31)? ARSENAL

Which team has scored the most goals in an English league season (127, in 1930/31)? ARSENAL

Which team has the record for most goals scored by a single player in an English top flight game (Ted Drake – seven goals away at Aston Villa, December 14th 1935)? ARSENAL

Which club holds the record for having the highest number if players in an England starting eleven (seven players, versus Italy in 1934)? ARSENAL

Which club has the highest attendance in English league football (83,260 for a game against Man Utd at Maine Road in 1948)? ARSENAL

Which team has featured in all three of the highest-attendance league games in English football? ARSENAL

Most away points in a top flight English season (47 in 2001/02)? ARSENAL

Most consecutive Champions League matches without conceding a goal (October 18th 2005 to April 26th 2006)? ARSENAL

First team to use numbers on the back of their shirts (1927)? ARSENAL

First team to play a match broadcast live on radio (versus Sheffield United, 1927)? ARSENAL

First team to play in a match broadcast live on TV (versus Arsenal reserves, 1937)? ARSENAL

First team to play a match broadcast live in 3D (versus Man Utd, January 31st 2010)? ARSENAL

There you have it.

The Arsenal is not just a club with history.

It’s a club that writes history, shapes history and makes history.

Others may have their moments in the sun, but only one side has endured in such a way for such a long time.

I look at the supporters of all other teams and feel only pity.

So thank whichever God watches over you (or if you ascribe to the new religion of Dawkinism, thank the mindless tinkering of the blind watchmaker) for one simple fact:

You are lucky enough to have been BORN TO SUPPORT THE ARSENAL.

RockyLives

190 Responses to Proof That Arsenal Are The Greatest Club The World Has Ever Seen

1. sherazi says:

yeeessssssssssssss………..

Rocky thanks. It never hurts to be reminded!
    Gnarley, hungover?
    Me, durrr, game not until tomorrow.

London,
    Always up at 6:15. 365 days of the year. On the dot. Nothing I can do about it.

4. tappy says:

You forgot firsts in floodlight football and numbers on the backs of shirts!!!

Hi tappy and welcome,

The numbers on the shirts is in the post, but well done on the floodlights. We welcome any other ‘firsts’ that people can quote.

tappy,
    Arsenal Tube Station?
    Oh, how I wish they would bring back our crest. I weep every single time I see the Mickey Mouse version.

7. tappy says:

Wasnt Wenger the first with a proper diet too?

We had the first black player to play for England. Viv Anderson.

tappy,
    Well, if you called steamed fish proper food!!!

10. tappy says:

And underfloor heating in the changing room

11. Willo says:

All good stuff but Aston Villa scored 128 in the
    1930-1 season beating us by one goal.
    But I’m sure it was Phil Dowds great grandfather who gave Villa 2 penalties for obvious dives.

Still buzzing….

12. brdgunner says:

Were also the only team to have won a league title in each of the last four decades.

71, 89, 93, 98, 2002, 2004. In that time Utd have been relegated, Liverpool have gone 20 years without a league title Chelsea have been non existant and as for the Supds?? We all know the answer to that.

First club to field an all foreign squad. (v. Crystal Palace). Truly non racist multi cultural!

14. spanner says:

Best pitch, medical staff and what about the clock?

spanner,
    Not trying to shove one in the works or anything (sorry), but I have often wondered whether, with our injury record, that in fact we have the worst medical staff in the history of the game!

Hey guys,
    What about this. I was wondering who was first foreign manager in English League and hey presto: Nattapong Ngow for Burnley 1879! Cool fact.

17. SUGA3 says:

flippin’ epic post :grin:

QED!!!

18. rico says:

Morning…

I have a first..

We were the first to stand side by side with the opposition in the tunnel, thanks to the great Herbert Chapman and Huddersfield :)

Only club to ever have the word “Royal” in the clubs’ name. Actually comes from the name of the boozer where we were founded rather than Queen’s and stuff!

20. goonermichael says:

I’m having an Arsenal tatto done tomorrow. The old badge with AC on it. Does anyone know why it just has AC and a football? no f for football. Know I think of it if it’s becuase there is the picture of the football then I’ll accept that I’m stupid :)

21. Dragooner says:

First Big Clock!
    First different coloured socks!
    First team to train twice a day!
    First team to ban Mars bars on the team bus! :)

22. Dragooner says:

Only team to have a train station named after it!
    Only team to be the centre of film plot (murder at the Arsenal stadium) or something like that!

Dragooner,
    Great work!
    There is a new bogside book in this.

24. goonermichael says:

first English team to win at san siro

25. goonermichael says:

Arsenal stadium mystery Dragooner. Watch it if you haven’t

26. DKD says:

I think AC is for Atletic Club…this article is good, but if I was a Manure fan the thing I would say is where are your trophies ???

Waiting for the first highly improbably impossible, but totally unprovable, fact.

28. goonermichael says:

First team to paint a mural with only white people in it then change it to include ethnic minorities

29. Willo says:

Lets not forget the Arsenal ladies amazing triumphs, both domestically and in Europe.

UEFA Women’s Cup Winners (1) – Only British side to win in Europe.
    2007 Beat Umeå IK 1-0 on aggregate

FA Women’s Premier League Champions (12)- Record haul.
    2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2002, 2001, 1997, 1995, 1993.

FA Women’s Cup Winners (10) – Record Haul
    2009 Beat Sunderland 2-1
    2008 Beat Leeds United 4-1
    2007 Beat Charlton Athletic 4-1
    2006 Beat Leeds United 5-0
    2004 Beat Charlton Athletic 3-0
    2001 Beat Fulham 1-0
    1999 Beat Southampton Saints 2-0
    1998 Beat Croydon 3-2
    1995 Beat Liverpool 3-2
    1993 Beat Doncaster Belles 3-0

FA Women’s Premier League Cup Winners (10) – record haul.
    2009 Beat Doncaster Rovers Belles 5-0
    2007 Beat Leeds United 1-0
    2005 Beat Charlton Athletic 3-0
    2001 Beat Tranmere Rovers 3-0
    2000 Beat Croydon 4-1
    1999 Beat Everton 3-1
    1998 Beat Croydon 4-2 on penalties (after 0-0 draw)
    1994 Beat Doncaster Belles 4-0
    1993 Beat Knowsley 3-0
    1992 Beat Millwall Lionesses 1-0

All record trophy accumilations that no other team can come close to.
    With many other team and individual records too. Points gained, goal scoring, defensive sequences all records by our amazing ladies.

30. goonermichael says:

DKD says:
    February 19, 2011 at 10:23 am

I think we’re glossing over that one. It’s obviously a point but the mancs only have 1 at the moment and I think we’ll be taking that nexty weekend

GM: Does anyone know why it just has AC and a football? no f for football. Know I think of it if it’s becuase there is the picture of the football then I’ll accept that I’m stupid”.
    I bought my son one of the small enamel badges with the same design, and I could not answer the same question, but you are right, the football behind….durrr

32. bright says:

WHT ABOUT THE FIRST ENGLISH CLUB TO BEAT AC MILLAN AT SANSIRO?THE FIRST ENGLISH TEAM THAT ARE YET TO BE KNOCKOUT OF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE BY ANY ITALY TEAM?

33. goonermichael says:

Micke
    From tommorrow that design will be forever on my chest. (or my arm if my wife keeps nagging me)

34. Willo says:

In 1928 the first £10,000 transfer – David Jack (Bolton to Arsenal).

GM,
    I remember years ago having a “disagreement” with a skinhead who had a swastika on his forehead. Ever considered planting your tat there?

GM,
    The rate you go through wives, I’m not sure I would pay much attention to what she says :-)

37. Ricky M says:

Longest time without concedeing in Champions League by a keeper: 853 mins (Jens Lehmann)

Longest winning Premiership sequence against one team: 11 Against Man City:

Least amount of time spent off the top of the table in a season: 0 In 1947/48. Lead from start to finish

Most top-flight matches in one season: 70 in 1979-80 consisting of
    42 League matches
    11 FA Cup matches
    9 Cup-Winner Cup matches
    7 League Cup matches
    1 Charity Shield match

There’s loads of this stuff at arseweb.com (hasn’t been updated for ages though)

38. goonermichael says:

39. Ricky M says:

And the funniest :

Fewest matches played by a Premiership club’s season: 40
    Tiny Totts 2005-06

Ricky,
    Top stat so far!
    Off out.

41. Ricky M says:

@Mickydidit89 – I think the crest you are talking about is the 1935-36 one which has A, C and a football, and the numbers 1935-36, with no cannon. It was a one off for the FA cup final (hence the ball maybe?)

Micky That was very funny!

Fine and interesting post RL. I think it would be worthwhile repeating mid-week with all the new info. The work day chaps may have some input.

43. Ricky M says:

Just had a look around, there were three of these crests used, all used for FA Cup finals: 1935-1936, 1949-50 and 1951-52. Hope that answers the question :D

44. Iron Man Copping says:

nice. lets not get carried away. hate to rain on the parade, but season 1930/31 when we won the league scoring 127 goals, incredibly 2nd place Villa scored 128. just saying :-)

45. El tel says:

Scored the latest goal in football history to win the League. Anfield 89 Mickey Thomas.

46. El tel says:

I have the A football C crest tatoo on my left arm. It was the era of my Granfather and the crest that was around the top of the Stadium at Highbury. Oh how I miss that place.

47. El tel says:

Were we the first Club to have undersoil heating?

48. El tel says:

The only Club to win the League on all our proper rivals grounds. the mancs, The Spuds and Pools.

The Chavs have never been a proper rival IMO.

49. Willo says:

Cliff Bastin, the youngest player ever to play in a FA Cup final, well at least till Howard Kendall in 1964.

El Tel. Nice to see you here. The Barca game was the nuts eh!

Were we the first English team to beat Real Madrid in Madrid?

52. Zeal says:

I LUV DIS & AM SO HAPPY 2 BE BORN A GOONER.

53. London says:

OK, Ok, as a borderline case, I am now convinced, so supporting Arsenal it is then. lol

54. john njamio says:

first team to go all the way to eufa c league final without conceding a goal

55. Red Arse says:

Rocky,

To think I was there when the germ of an idea for this Post first sparked to life. :-) Excellent!!

I have another for your list;

— The streets around Highbury had more horse manure than all the other stadia put together!

56. Carlito11 says:

Morning all- great post Rocky and loving the additional firsts in the comments. Not stopping but wanted to leave this for Rocky’s son. I was sent a link to a website called truelad.com which had the following post on it “18th February 2011

to the Arsenal LADs who sang this chant, even though it never caught on! ‘Clichy to the left of me, Sagna to the right, Here I am, Stuck in the middle Djourou’ retroLADS ”

have great day AA Gooners- catch you tomorrow for the action!

57. Allan Wasilwa says:

i will forever be a Gooner. Thats why i love Arsenal

58. Wow what an amazing post, saw rico while I was scrolling through and hi to many others who popped in.

Best comment goes to London @11.31 :D :D :D

59. Willo says:

Remember Andrew Ducat, Clement Arthur Milton and Harold Thomas William Hardinge? They were all double internationals for Football and Cricket and were all Arsenal players.
    The first and only club out of the 90 to boast three double internationals.

In another significant “first” Andy Ducat was doubly out in the first innings of his only test: his bat disintegrating playing a ball bowled by Ted McDonald; the ball looped to slip where it was caught, and a bail was dislodged by a flying splinter (he was given out caught rather than hit wicket).

60. Rocky won’t be up for hours probably :roll:

Loved the guy that mentioned the lack of trophies – obviously class has nothing to do with winning too many trophies :lol:

26may will be sorry to have missed this

So were the Compton brothers (cricket and football Internationals) who attended Bell Lane School in Hendon

62. Willo says:

Technically Dennis Compton never played in an official football internatonal and Leslie never okayed cricket for England.

But…… Leslie Compton was selected for England for their match against Wales on November 15, 1950, making him, at 38 years and 64 days, the oldest post-war England debutant and the oldest ever outfield player to debut.
    These records still stand.

63. Willo says:

Whoops…..Leslie never ‘played’ For England though he may of okayed it if he did.

64. Ricky M says:

Not sure on this, but I think we were the first London club to join the Football League.

Also

First London club to do the domestic double (FA Cup and League) and first club to do the cup double (FA Cup and League Cup) just remind any Spuds that argue about their black and white double win, they weren’t a London club until the Greater London Authority was formed in 1964 :P

65. joe says:

Not to put a downer on it, great artticle by the way, but aren’t we only club in european history to lose all three european finals?.

66. viviosman says:

proud to be gunnersss

67. thedeadlygonner says:

Most appearances in FA Cup final: 17
    Most appearances in FA Cup semi-final: 25
    Most Player of the Year awards: 3 (Thierry Henry)
    Most league and cup doubles: 3
    Most away points in a league season: 47
    First player to win consecutive golden boots: Thierry Henry
    Most goals for England U21s: Franny Jeffers (13)
    Most decades in which league has been won by individual captain: 3 (Tony Adams)
    Oldest player on England debut: 38 (Leslie Compton)
    Fastest goal ever in UEFA Champions League: Gilberto (20.07 seconds)
    THE only team to have a trophy on every day of the week.
    And the list continues on………from Arseweb.com

68. Everton lining up in baby pink shirts!!!!!!!

69. Willo says:

The Comptons though are the first and only brothers ever to have won the national title both in football and cricket. With both Middlesex and ARSENAL.

70. Gooner in Exile says:

First team (along with Sheff Wed) to wear names on backs of shirts in Cup double year.

71. harry says:

Class Article Rocky, about Our Class Club……..

You cannot buy history although certain blue clubs have tried….

My dad has been great to me over the years,usual stuff etc, but if there is one thing I must truly and be eternally thankful for is taking me to highbury when I was about 4 years old….

I have now watched them for more years than I can remember, never doubted my loyalty, my kids are gooners which they are too are thankful for, the face on my little ones face when I threw him in the air on wednesday night at the emirates as the place erupted was priceless…..

Arsenal is in my blood, there is something special about this club, i am sure others say it about their clubs, but they never come across as gooners do about arsenal……

The most poignant thing you said, was that it is not that Arsenal are a club with History, but that we make, shape and write History…..

My personal firsts…..

I was one of the first Junior Gunners!!!!

Altogether now:@

Oh to be, Oh to be a Gooner……….

72. thedeadlygonner says:

And i have heard a person killed himself in kenya becuase of Arsenal after losing to united in champions league??????????

73. London says:

Sad story, he should have held it together and he would have been able to join in the Wednesday night celebrations.

74. [...] the original post here: Proof That Arsenal Are The Greatest Club The World Has Ever Seen … No Comments by admin on February 19, 2011  •  Permalink Posted in [...]

75. RedandDread says:

Most number of goals in the CL group stage – Arsenal. we broke that record this season

76. dom says:

how about trophies? no?

Great post Rocky, someone should collate all the added ‘firsts’ bloggers have come up with to produce a definitive list.

I could add – the only club to start every season top of the table :lol:

Good day all.
    Some very funny comments today and some brilliant extra ‘firsts’.
    Thanks for those who pointed out that Villa scored one more goal than us in our championship winning year of 1931. I took the stat from the Wiki page and slightly misrepresented it: it should have said highest goal tally for a league-winning team!

dom
    We’ve had plenty of trophies along the way too, but if you think that’s what this article is about you’re rather missing the point.

Rasp
    I like that one. Another way of putting it would be: the only team to have held first position in the league in every single season in which they have competed.

80. Zeal says:

D only team invited by Queen of england 4 a tea party.

Zeal
    Nice one. We probably also have the best list of famous fans, including:
    Her Maj
    Osama Bin Laden
    Melvyn Bragg
    Dr George Carey (former Archbish of Cant)
    Jonathan Sachs (chief rabbi)
    Dermot O’Leary
    Matt Lucas
    Ainsley Harriott
    Tony McCoy
    Frankie Dettori
    Prof Robert Winston

82. MikeSA says:

Chapman also “invented” the “D” on the edge of the 18 yard box, and suggested the change from a committee to a single England manager responsible for selection and coaching.

He also suggested goal line adjudicators (plant-teenies “idea” that he claims is his, 70+ years AFTER Chapman suggested it).

If Chapman had been around today, he would also be advocating the use of technology.

Just shows how completely backward and blinkered the football administrators are, they’re more than 70 years behind the wave, and at the time they also demanded that Chapman remove the 45 minute clock he had put up!

Our ladies also have an unbeaten league season, but their’s was even more remarkable in that they weren’t only unbeaten, they also won every game they played in the league, no draws.

Rocky,

Apparently Michel Roux and MR junior are gooners too

84. dandan says:

Rocky afraid your 2:13 is not quite true mate, we used to be called “The Arsenal”, I believe we changed it so it would be first in the fixture list when at home and when the results were read out on radio each Saturday. Another of Herbert Chapman class calls I think.

PS Why wasnt I on your list above???????

85. …..or me????????????? :lol:

86. Rocky – you did that wiki page proud I have to say. Maybe we should save this post a new page – Rasp, what do you think and add the extras that bloggers have given us?

I agree peaches as I said earlier, we just need someone to collate it all and keep it up to date ….. gunnerN5?

dandan
    you were on my list: I thought ‘dandan’ was just your cover name and that really you’re an Archbishop.

I have huge respect for Messi as a footballer, but if the reports coming out saying Cesc is going to Barca in the summer are accurate quotes, he’s just gone down in my estimation. Its disrespectful when we are paying his wages and we have yet to play them in the return leg, but not as disrespectful as his club who are apparently only willing to pay £34m for this player they covet so dearly.

Rasp
    Smells like fear to me. Why make those comments half way through a ECL tie, except to try and destabilise an opponent who has got you seriously worried?

I hope all those who were on AA’s back this season are enjoying the humble pie. I have watched the goal several times and I can’t decide which was the most brilliant…

Cesc’s first touch turn and pinpoint perfectly weighted pass to Nasri …… Nasri’s weaving run, – he looked up, held the ball and waited before threading it through the eye of a needle to AA … or AA’s perfect finish that was composed accurate and would only have been attempted by someone with his exceptional talent.

We must not forget Robin’s run into the box which distracted the defenders who then blocked the keeper’s view of the shot. If Barca had scored that goal the press would have gone overboard.

92. Great free kick by Leighton Baines to make it 1-1 – don’t really want either of them to win though :roll:

93. Red Arse says:

Rasp,

Don’t forget Jack’s instantaneous pass to Cesc to set it all rolling. Exquisite!

94. mjc says:

Fidel Castro and Chairman Mao should also be included as gooners!

True RA. The pace and accuracy of the entire move was breathtaking. No wonder Guardiola looked bemused. He was very gracious in his comments after the match, shame some of the hierarchy at Barca don’t exhibit the same dignity.

Hi mjc,

Where have you been? We’ve proudly added you to the list of authors but not enjoyed your company much lately.

Hahahahahahahaaaaa……

A’Hole misses the penalty for the chavs and Everton go through

and we don’t hold the record of losing 7 penalty shoot outs in a row :) ha.hah.ha.

So out of the so-called top teams, only us and the two Manc teams still left in the FA Cup. It’s starting to shape up a bit like the CC…
    Come on Crawley!

100. London says:

Damn

I watched the last 15 minutes of the chav game 0-0 so I turned off. Then I see there was penalties, rats, I missed the fun.

101. dandan says:

You got confused Rocky the only thing the Archbishop and I have in common is that I don’t hold a crook mate, I am one. LOL

dandan :)

103. dandan says:

Our £23 million man Anelka was showing off, puts ball on spot, walks three paces, toe pokes it, keeper saves it, Ashley’s kick landed in the Kings Road. Both kicks missed by Ex gooners, conspiracy theory anyone.

104. mjc says:

Been absolutely buried in work.
    Promise to send in an article soon!

105. Red Arse says:

Dandan,

If Peter Cech saved it that would definitely be a conspiracy! :-)

106. dandan says:

OOPs got that wrong RA sorry.

107. Leo says:

@Dandan

Cashley Cole shot a bird with his penalty kick.

108. Gooner in Exile says:

As well as reports about Cesc there was a report on Caughtoffside saying Barca were set to launch a £35m bid for Nasti in summer, not a single quote in the whole piece, thankfully it got 1* from readers, more annoying was that BBC website was linking to it under breaking gossip!

Re: Messi comments look for the quote marks, remember if it’s in double speech marks they said it (or theres a libel case coming), if it’s just in single speech marks it’s implied normally by friends.

109. kyo_9 says:

wow.. thanks a lot for this post..
    I’m glad I chose Arsenal as my favorite team long time ago..

110. Gooner in Exile says:

Cesc is in contract until 2014/5? Never understood it he had six years left in 2006 when he signed a five year deal with an option to extend for three more years. Not sure if that was a five year on top of the six which would mean best case he is on contract until 2017-2020 if we extend….too confusing.

Whatever we’ll let him go on a free then. :D

111. Ricky M says:

Here’s another one (I think!) We have more clubs in other countries named after us or wearing a kit modelled on ours than any other League club

112. Gooner in Exile says:

Courtesy of our GK Szcezney on twitter:

“Tweeps what do you think Ashley was aiming for when he took his penalty?”

I love our players being on twitter, very funny!

Seems like LJ is looking forward to Cup so hopefully he is playing.

113. Gooner in Exile says:

He followed that with this:

“Is it a plane? Is it an aeroplane? No, its just ashley throwing chelsea out of the fa cup :)”

God love Szcezney not only best celebration we’ve seen from one of our GKs he also knows how much we enjoyed that Ashley miss

114. Ricky M says:

And don’t forget – First London club to get to the CL final

Ricky M
    Nice one.

116. Ricky M says:

Arsenal were the first team south of Birmingham to join the football league in 1893

117. Thanks Ricky M – I’m going to trawl through the comments later and put the add-ons onto the post and repost as a page so that the info is always there.

118. Ricky M says:

Clubs named after Arsenal:
    * Arsenal F.C., a football team from London, named after the Royal Arsenal Woolwich
    * Arsenal L.F.C., the women’s team of Arsenal
    * Arsenal F.C. (Argentina), from Sarandí, Argentina
    * FC Arsenal Kyiv, from Kiev, Ukraine
    * FC Arsenal Kharkiv, from Kharkiv, Ukraine
    * Berekum Arsenal, from Berekum, Ghana
    * Arsenal FC (Roatan), from Roatan, Honduras
    * FC Arsenal-Tula Tula, from Tula, Russia
    * Arsenal Wanderers, from Mauritius
    * FK Arsenal, from Montenegro
    * FK Arsenal Kragujevac, from Serbia
    * Arsenal (Maseru), from Maseru, Lesotho

119. Ricky M says:

I’ll just keep adding any new ones I find :D

BTW, I forgot to change to my normal nick Wembley79, when Im started posting. So, just call me Wembley

120. Wembley79 says:

“Good Old Arsenal”, with new words from Jimmy Hill, reached No 16 in the charts in the summer of 1971

Jimmy Hill also stepped in for an injured linesman for an Arsenal game v Liverpool in 1972 (he was there as a spectator, but responded to a request over the PA for a qualified Ref)

121. Ok Wembley, thanks for joining in :)

122. Wembley79 says:

We are the only English club to have played our home european matches at Wembley

123. Wembley79 says:

First professional London football club

We have only been relegated once, in 1904, having won only one game all season

124. Wembley79 says:

We were the first london club to win the UEFA/Fairs cup, in 1970

125. Wembley79 says:

*correction* we were relegated in 1912-13, not 1904

126. Wembley79 says:

In 1930-31 we were the first Southern Club to win the top flight league title (First Division)

127. Wembley79 says:

128. Wembley79 says:

The youngest average age for a Champions League team is 20.90 years and was achieved by Arsenal FC (England) in their Champions League first round match versus Olympiacos Piraeus (Greece) at Georgios Karaiskakis Stadium, Athens, Greece, on 9 December 2009.

129. Wembley79 says:

The most times a player has topped the end of season scoring charts in the Premier League is four, by Thierry Henry (France) playing for Arsenal (UK) between 1999 and 2007. Henry top scored in 2001/02 with 21 goals, 2003/04 with 30, 2004/05 with 25 and 2005/06 with 25.

130. Wembley79 says:

The most consecutive Champions League matches that an individual player has scored at least one goal in is six, by Marouane Chamakh (Morocco) playing for Bordeaux (France) and Arsenal (UK) between 2009 and 2010.

131. Wembley79 says:

Theo Walcott:

Became the youngest ever England player at 17 years and 75 days when he came on as a 65th minute substitute against Hungary, 30 May 2006;

Became the youngest ever England player to score a hat-tick, aged 19 years, 177 days, against Croatia on 10 September 2008;

Became the youngest ever England player and goalscorer at U21 level.

132. Wembley79 says:

Bernard Joy of the Corinthians and Arsenal, earned his only cap and became the last amateur to play for the senior England team in the 3-2 loss to Belgium in Brussels on May 9, 1936.

133. Wembley79 says:

1928 The first £10,000 transfer – paid by Arsenal for David Jack

134. dandan says:

Wembley, Jimmy hill was not a spectator but working as a co comentator with I think ITV’s the big match with Brian Moore, but it could have been BBC’S match of the day,probably with David Coleman at any rate I was there that day and JH did quite a good job. It was after that the FA started having a spare official at matches often a local referee in the early days.
    I used to stand in the west stand where the camera platform jutted out from the seated upper tier and the mikes hung down over our heads.

Hi Wembley79,

Thanks for your contributions, do you have some kind of database with all these stats?

136. Wembley79 says:

@Dandan, thanks for that – I took the reference from the history section of Arsenal.com http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/tv-pundit-jimmy-hill-runs-the-line – I am jealous that you were there though, didn’t get to go to my first game 27/1/1979 FA Cup 4th Round v Notts County (hence the name!)

137. Wembley79 says:

@Rasp, lol, no – I just know how to google :D

138. Willo says:

Dandan 7.36pm : It wasn’t the camera platform that jutted out from the seated upper tier, it was Jimmy Hill’s chin.

139. ric says:

u forgot….english team with the most appearances without winning the champions league

140. dandan says:

This could well be true Willo, do you remember Arthur Mullard he used to stand next to us.

141. London says:

GIE

It would be pretty mean spirited not to let Cesc leave on a free in 2020 lol.

142. London says:

Do you have some kind of data base Wembley79? No, just Google! You have to see the funny side of that Rasp. I would do a smiling face here but I still don’t know how to do them. lol is the best I can do.

Wembley
    Thanks for all those contributions. My favourite was this:
    “Based on annual final placings within the whole of the football league from 1900-1999, Arsenal were the highest placed team of the 20th Century, having a higher average league placing than any other team in England/”

Some clubs may have clocked up more titles, but I love it that if you tot up all the placings then we are Champions of the 20th Century. And we will go on to be Champs of the 21st too!

London
    That made me laugh too.
    I was baffled by smiley faces too, until someone told me how: all you do is put a colon : and a right bracket ) together and it magically pops up as a smiley face.
    : + ) = :)
    Go on – give it a try…

145. London says:

So it is a bit like an upside down face?

146. Wembley79 says:

well, more of a sideways face :D

147. Wembley79 says:

: + D = :D
    : + ( = :( etc

148. But my favourites are :+lol+: :lol:

and the very best :+roll+: :roll:

149. Wembley79 says:

By the way, who do I have to kill to get a proper avatar? ;P

We can sort you out an avatar Wembley. Either choose a pic for yourself or tell us what you want and we’ll find you one.

151. Wembley79 says:

Here you go 32×32 image (If you need a larger one, I can give you a link to it no probs)

152. wembley79 says:

Just created a gravatar account – I assume that’s what I need

153. gnarleygeorge9 says:

1st to use a wired/miked up medico when attending injured players

154. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Most CL appearances never to win it ;)

Sorry to drag you all back to reality, but the jobs not done yet.

er… first Premier League to fail to win for a position of 4-0 up.

No, no, that was a bad dream, surely?

BR,
    Like I said (prematurely) yesterday, tough call today. I think you will do well to achieve 8+/11.

Morning GG,
    “Sorry to drag you all back to reality, but the jobs not done yet”. I would argue that if for some reason AW stood down today, that the job has been very well done. Packed away loads of trophies, move to Grove, youth policy flourishing, sound finances etc.
    For me though, and this is personal, it is the CL that counts most. We must be the first London Club and it would complete the collection.

158. Gooner in Exile says:

Indeed Micky well said.

Morning GiE,
    Are you agreeing with the CL bit?

Is Diaby available today?

161. Gooner in Exile says:

Suspended and according to AW press conference not fit. He did say that Djourou was fit as was Theo after overcoming back and hamstring problems respectively.

Watching the players twitter feeds it seems we might be surprised by selection.

LJ was early to bed and looking forward to it, as was Samir and Chesney.

Be interesting as we need to win the next three games, then we have 7 days to rest before Subderland and Barca, the brain says AW will have to rotate, if anything the Os play more our style so perhaps AW will assume we won’t be on the end of thug tackles, which would be more likely against Stoke.

GiE,
    I imagine the fitness of many players will be of the mental attitude flavour ie the one’s that AW can see will be really up for it after the Barca game. You only needed to see the Crawley performance to realise how bloody irritating these minnows can be!

163. London says:

I wonder what Wenger actually means when he says Diaby is unfit? Is that physically or as am stating to suspect mentally? I don’t think I would really blame him if he declared that he is sick to death of the EPL and wants out.

I would go for the fittest First XI and absolutely rotate three at 60 mins, no matter what. Stoke and Brum are extra must win games!

London Hi,
    I have long believed that Diaby will look back with serious regret on his carrer as one of massively unfulfilled potential.

So Twitter is now where we learn early team news. Not just for mobilising revolutions/miltary coups!!!

167. gnarleygeorge9 says:

“For me though, and this is personal, it is the CL that counts most. We must be the first London Club and it would complete the collection”.

Yep you agree then, the jobs only half done :) & that is the right attitude to take. Its winning the war in the end that counts. Arsenal may have won the battle, but……….

Okedoke,
    Papers, supplies and a little exercise then back.

GG,
    As The Great Ali so rightly said, its not what you do in life that counts, its doing it with style that matters! To put that in modern speak, Class:Chavism.

170. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Very true, but I know you don’t want to feel like any empty vessel March 7, so style will go out the door. Its all about the result. Good old G & D, combined with plenty of grey stuff from above the neck.

171. Gooner in Exile says:

Agreed with all of it Micky, ie state of club and CL (alongside EPL). look at LFC they may have won CL but it did not mean they were going to become a great. Would be nice to win both, I don’t see any other London club winning it anytime soon.

Chelsea can’t do penalty shoot outs (bottlers perhaps?)

And Spuds, please god no, if they won it there wouldn’t just be a DVD they’d make a bloody musical and feature length film to go with it!

172. Raddy – are you done? You lost my tags ;)

Or we could be Aston Villa….

Oooops sorry Peaches. Yes, I am done and sorry to be so late this morning. I had a heavy drinking day and early morning :-(

We have a NEW POST

176. A heavy drinking day and an early morning :P

177. wen someone asks me wat club i support and why? my answer will be ‘Arsenal, because it’s Arsenal’ forever a gooner

178. bluetooth headsets,cell phone headset,cordless phones,headphone,headset,headsets,jabra headsets,noise canceling headset,stereo bluetooth headset,voip phones,wireless headphone,wireless headsets,out door phones,Viking Surface Mount Boxes,viking securi…

[...]Proof That Arsenal Are The Greatest Club The World Has Ever Seen « Arsenal Arsenal[...]…

179. suicide clean up…

180. dating tips says:

dating tips…

181. GUNNERS ARE THE GREATEST INDEED

182. Tosin says:

I tink dis is great

183. sk0nz says:

@mickydidit89: Viv Anderson wasnt a Arsenal Player when he first time played for England. He played for Nottingham Forest, you signed him 6 years later, thats not even close to a “record”

184. ipad 2 case says:

I have been exploring for a bit for any high quality articles
    or weblog posts in this kind of house . Exploring in Yahoo
    I at last stumbled upon this site. Studying this information So i am satisfied to convey that I’ve an incredibly excellent uncanny feeling I came upon exactly what I needed. I such a lot indubitably will make certain to don?t omit this website and provides it a glance regularly.

185. Naturinda Fredrick says:

thanks for that coz its true

186. Rippln quickly became not only a company but a movement with a lot of eyeballs,
    influence and power, that’s why so many fortune 500 companies are knocking on Rippln’s door
    consistently. Nexus 7): Go to Settings -> Apps ->
    Candy Crush Saga. Baird, video games generated nearly US $60 billion in 2011.

187. Baslove_Gunners says:

I love this Arsenal. Thanks for taking me back to the memory lane