New Captain for Arsenal?

Is it time Arsenal had a new captain?

And if so, who should it be? Someone already in the squad? Or a transfer market move for the missing leader so many people have been craving?

This debate has been prompted by some of the points raised in response to Micky’s “Looking Ahead – 2nd Half Term” post.

Micky felt we needed Cesc and Robin van Persie to stay fit for the rest of the season if we’re to have a realistic chance of silverware.

But he also said he would approve of a dip into the January transfer window for a World Class Leader in the mould of Tony Adams or Franck McLintock.

Leaving aside the issues of whether a WCL would be available in January and whether, even if he was, we would be remotely likely to pay the World Class Price Tag that would come with him, Micky’s post raises the vexing question of whether we currently have the right captain at Arsenal.

I can see two arguments against Cesc Fabregas being our captain. The first is that he has missed too much time out through injury in recent seasons. Not his fault, of course, but you really want your captain to be playing in the vast majority of games throughout a season.

The second, more problematic argument against Cesc’s captaincy is whether he is a sufficiently good leader on the pitch.

No-one disputes the supreme level of his skills (or his ability to win games almost single-handedly). The question is, is he the right man to drag his colleagues by the scruffs of their necks to grind out wins in adversity? Is he the sort of person you would want beside you in the trenches like an Adams, a Vieira, a McLintock, a Silvestre? OK, in Silvestre’s case you’d fill in the trench and run away, but you get the point.

It was clear from some of the posts that many Arsenal supporters don’t believe Cesc is that kind of leader and that their preferred captain in our current squad would be Vermaelen.

Cesc is perceived to not be a shouter, to not talk enough to his team mates during the game, to not give sufficient encouragement and bollockings.

Sometimes, in those games where we have been misfiring as a team, I find myself fantasising about how TA6 would have reacted had he been playing.

You know the games I’m talking about – the ones where Song has vanished upfield with a head full of dreams of being Thierry Henry; where Clichy is wandering around picking his nose; where Eboue is running up and down the line grinning at the happiness fairies that only he can see; where Diaby is being out-jumped by midgets; where Walcott is racing up the wing with the speed of a locomotive and a touch to match; where Rosicky has all the shooting prowess of an empty water pistol…

We all know how Tony would react.

He would go ABSOLUTELY FLIPPING MENTAL.

He would need new boots for the second half because his original pair would have been planted so far up the arses of his team mates during the half time team talk that they would have studs for teeth.

Which brings us back to Cesc. It seems clear that, like Thierry before him, he was given the armband as part of a strategy to keep him at the club.

I can understand Arsene Wenger’s reasons for doing this, but it devalues the job of captain. Unfortunately this is not something that the boss seems to particularly care about if his past comments are anything to go by: “I think the captain is an important position, but it is not as important as the team spirit. You do not have to over-emphasise the importance of the captaincy.”

He has also said that he has a team of captains on the pitch and has done his best to demonstrate this by passing around the captain’s armband as if it were radioactive. In recent times the following players have all stepped out as Captain of The Arsenal: Fabianksi, Almunia, Nasri, Silvestre, Campbell, Rosicky, Clichy, Squillaci, van Persie and probably others too that I can’t recall.

Obviously part of this is because we have had so many injuries, but it’s a sad state of affairs that one of the great offices available to man has been reduced to this.

I would much prefer us to have a clear structure of captain and vice captain, which should cover us for most games.

My own view is that Cesc can be a great captain for us. He does more talking and encouraging on the pitch than he is given credit for and leads by example with his own bravery and skill.

Where I think he struggles as captain is when his own form is off, as it has been in some of his recent outings. At these times he seems to go more introspective and quiet, which doesn’t help the rest of the team.

But when he’s on fire I believe he has all the required attributes and I hope that in the second half of the season we will come to see him as the inspirational captain for whom we have been waiting. Of course, this also depends on him managing to stay injury-free, which is not a foregone conclusion.

Vermaelen’s day will come, but for now the right role for him (when he returns from injury) is as vice captain to Cesc.

RockyLives

71 Responses to New Captain for Arsenal?

1. goonermichael says:

Cesc Shouldn’t be capatain
    He doesn’t want to be here and he’ll be gone in the summer so it really is pointless.

I like the post though :)

2. goonermichael says:

what’s a capatain?

3. charybdis1966 says:

Hi GM – that sounds like a question from “Call my bluff”; I can almost see a guy with a comb over askng the same question.

Entetaining post as always R Lives – I’d go for the Verminator too, giving a player the captaincy as incentive to stay rarely works well.

Rocky,
    The “new boots for the second” line is my all time favourite from amongst some very serious competition here on this great site. A very low bow to you sir!

Sorry “second half”.

6. sundramponnambalam says:

The obvious choice in non other than CESC.He is here to stay.Nasri could be his deputy.

7. fingooner says:

Odd that Wilshere isn’t mentioned once. He has shown great character and leaders qualities this season.

8. goonermichael says:

Cesc is going sundramponnambalam .

Here is my bombshell for the day, and the great thing is this, the moment I have dropped it, I’m off out so will be well out of the fallout zone.
    The fact that RvP did not “demand to play me or sell me” against The Wigan, means I would flog him. 27 goals in four seasons. Not good enough. So back to the leadership. I agree with the Verm as long term boss, and I also do not want to hinder the long term development of Rambo or Frimpong, so short termist, I would go for Reina as well as Alonso/Mascherano, and no, I have not been at the Sangria!
    See ya.

10. simon says:

How’s stripping Cesc of the captaincy mid season going to benefit anyone?

Rubbish blog – stick to what you do best, moaning about dropped points

Read it again simon – this time to the end, and you will see that the conclusion is that Cesc IS the best candidate for captain……

12. Harry says:

Quote”””where Eboue is running up and down the line grinning at the happiness fairies that only he can see””” –Absolutely priceless………..

I agree with alot of what you have put across and Cesc does seem to struggle to lead when his form dips, but I do feel he is getting better at it, he probably was given it too young, but we all understand why….

There is a Captain – vice in place, just unfortunately they are both always injured, perhaps its a curse?

TV5 would be the natural choice for strong leader, but when is he coming back? I had an achilles injury and was out for 2years!! If he was at the back we would not have lost those 5 games…maybe 1 or 2…..

Looking at why you penned this article, it was about dipping in the transfer market for a WCL, its more of a fighter who leads by example, someone who will die for the cause, put his body on the line, someone to play alongside song when the chips are down. Against Chelsea Song played his best this season bar none,(should have played against wigan) when he is not there we miss that, Diaby is too injury prone, ah perhaps he is on the vice list?

Sol Campbell gaves us a boost last year when needed and fought with desire and passion, even if his legs werent quite up to it, although saying that he kept up with some stoke player in the dying minutes in the cup match which amazed the commentators….

SO the person we bring in doesnt have to be WC but a natural born fighter who leads by example………

Probably an experienced 28-32 old battle hardened and built like an ox who can play CB or DM… Thats all we lack…..?

And I would take Henry back for a couple of months during his time off from the MLS, he is trg with us so why not register him?

This is what Arsène had to say about the leadership issues in the Wigan game. Without Cesc we have no captain at all …..

“We need to communicate much better. That’s something we need to rectify. Nobody is taking charge on the organisation side, there is no voice when the focus drops a little bit. You don’t feel that anybody takes charge on alertness and we need to communicate much better than that.”

14. Harry says:

And in the Long Run we have Ramsey coming back he will be in the hat for Captain alongside, Jack, Henri, JET, Miquel, Kyle………

15. Am says:

This article is absolute rubbish.

To strip a player of the captancy would cause massive disruption in the dressing room, it would also signal that Cesc has been stripped of responsibility and may be able to leave.

We havnt lost a game in which he has started this season, thats how important he is to us. He has demonstrated good leadership.

People like you dont know much about football.

16. Am says:

Plus You dont need to be captain to show leadership.

It is down to all the players, Even if we bought a Veira or Adams in the transfer window, Cesc would still be the official captain, but the new player would be the one giving it in the dressing room.

17. dandan says:

IMHO the issue of captain had nothing to do with on the pitch activities, it is a hang up of English football that he is important. What is needed is a leader and decision maker a talker who will direct, cajole and direct, in short a manager on the pitch who can change reshape the team and carry out the managers wishes.

This is patently different to the club captain who has to make speeches, do PR and be the face of Arsenal on TV and in public, fine if you have someone capable of managing the two jobs which unfortunately we probably don’t have Cesc is great as the face of Arsenal but not the leader I think we need. TV may well prove to be the leader but is not charismatic enough for the PR part of the job.

So the answer leave Cesc as captain and let the natural leaders get on with it and do their job on the pitch, the players will respond to them. Which is what I suspect AW is doing.

18. Gooner in Exile says:

This is a difficult issue, in all honesty we haven’t had a proper captain since TA.

Also the number of times the captaincy is bandied around by AW is a concern but I guess that goes back to the rotation issues from Wednesday night.

I still believe the captain should not be a “flair” player, as others have mentioned when Cesc’s form dips he seems demotivated, RVP is another definite no no, constantly moaning at players around him if the pass isn’t precisely where he wants it (although he is improving). Saying that I’m not sure the captain should be removed from Cesc either he has done nothing to lose the faith of teammates, fans or manager.

If Cesc decides it is time to leave the Grove in the summer then it would be a difficult decision.

I would put mention in for JW for a couple of years time but again the fact that he is also a flair player albeit with a little more bite than the others. Age is not really an issue as TA proved.

How is anyone recommending Samir Nasri? Fantastic player = yes, captain = no. Just because we fans have given him a unique song does not make him Captain material, otherwise we would see Tinkerbell with the Armband on every week.

The reason I dislike “flair” players as Captains is they are often responsible for giving the ball away (an evil of the role), or making a through ball to a centre forward who hasn’t timed their run as desired can result in a sulk or moan at the teammate, captains should never moan or whinge.

TA would hand out rollickings as a gee up, and also lead the team tell them when to dig in and roll sleeves up. When TA wasn’t available it was Winterburn, Dixon or Bould that filled the role, playing in positions where they could see the whole game, also where they could drag the team off their own 18 yard line if sitting deep, and shout encouragement when necessary.

So my recommendations for captaincy are Sagna, Djouro or TV, Clichy needs to iron out a few of his inconsistencies or be replaced by Gibbs before I nominate a left back for captaincy.

Sagna is Mr Consistent, that is a must for a Captain, he never moans, goes up and down the flank tirelessly and is often seen making last ditch challenges in front of goal, I like him more and more with every game I see him.

Most of my thoughts whilst writing this were with Wilshere, Frimpong, JET, Scezny, Eastmond or Gibbs in terms of future captains, have I been so brainwashed that I look forward to the future more than I look at the current team?

Happy New Year Gooners.

19. Red Arse says:

Am,

Some of what you say is valid, but please read the article properly before mouthing off.

The Post was supposed to stimulate discussion and has succeeded in doing so. It leads us thru various options but comes to the writer’s conclusion that Cesc IS the best captain.

You and Simon, above, seem to have very limited ability to read the article, but a lot of ability to pontificate, even tho’ you are saying the same thing as the Post writer.

Sad really.

20. SharkeySure says:

Great read that Rocky.

Happy New Year to Gnarley !!!

21. 26may1989 says:

Interesting thoughts Rocky. Like DD, I’d say there’s a cultural issue around the idea of captaincy. Outside the UK, a captain has less of a role, something not only Wenger has pointed to but also Capello and Benitez.

But traditionally in England and Scotland, we see a football team as something like a military unit, requiring leadership and direction from a key figure, who, like the caricature of a sergeant-major, will shout at and cajole those who are under-achieving.

A player like Cesc isn’t going to provide that but is it even what is needed? Even that uber-British manager, Alex Ferguson, has said footballers today are different and don’t respond to shouting and intimidation the way they once did. And look at United and Chelsea, they have strong characters but leadership in reality is parcelled out amongst them, Ferdinand relies on Rooney, Vidic, Neville, Giggs and Scholes, as does Terry with Drogba, Lampard and Essien.

We do have issues with the strength of character in the team, there are too many nice guys in there (what can you expect with names like Theo, Sebastien, Johan, Thomas, Alex, Jack and Robin? Not exactly Gary, Kevin or Tony is it.). But I wouldn’t put it down to captaincy. Without going all Billy Gallas about it, we just need the players collectively to be more gutsy. There have been signs of improvement this year but it’s not been consistent yet.

As for who should be captain, I agree with Rocky, stick with Cesc but in the longer term, Vermaelen is the answer.

Anyone think the sale of Nordtveit means anything re purchases in the January window?

22. Gooner in Exile says:

Good points may1989 but would add that the difference of the Mourninho’s of this world to AW is that they lead themselves from the touchline.

As much as I hate Mourinho I admire the way he holds himself on a touch line all bravado and confidence, rarely do you see him with head in hands showing frustration that his plan is not working, he gets out of the dug out and tells them to change, Wenger is a more pleading with his players to do the right things, Mr Nice was needed to bring this crop of youngsters through unscathed, Mr Nasty needs to rear its ugly head a bit to take away the comfort blanket, maybe it is time for him to stop making excuses for the players, and actually begin to question them (in public if need be). If he can’t do that perhaps it is time to let Pat Rice bare his teeth.

23. Red Arse says:

Hi 26, :-)

Arsenal offered Nordveidt a contract extension but could not guarantee a first team place (I understand), but he refused. To draw any inference on this basis would be highly speculative.

Arsene, in his most recent i/v, repeated there would be no transfer activity unless there were further injuries.

In addition, he believed the cause of the equalising own goal was the result of lack of communication, and wants all our multi-national diaspora to speak only English on the pitch in future. Not a captaincy issue therefore.

Unless he chooses to leave Arsenal, and who can forecast that, Cesc should and will remain captain. (that’s me, not Arsene, but as you know, he often uses me as his mouth-piece). :-)

24. 26may1989 says:

Fair points Exile. I detest Mourinho but there can be no-one who follows football who doesn’t respect his qualities, and you’re right, his influence from the touchline is one of them.

I think in recent years Wenger has been more openly critical of the players, his comments after the Wigan game about insufficient communication being the latest example. But he will never be the guy who affects the team during the game – his whole philosophy is built on trusting the players and building them up, and everything he does happens on the training pitch, not at the match itself.

25. 26may1989 says:

Ha ha, very good Mr Arse!

And a Happy New Year to everyone on this blog – despite the rather stupid comments from a couple of newbies today, it remains the best Arsenal blog around.

Here’s to 2011, a new dawn for the Gooners!

26. dandan says:

Interesting, AW has just said Ramsey will return immediately from Forest

27. tomstoned says:

just in to wish you all a Happy New Year….and keep up the good work with this great blog..:)always interesting read even if it is a bit Wengerish ;..

London mate…youre comment yesterday about apron and running back to Geoff…well…childish mate still i hope you did have a wet dream about it ;,anything to help mate….

captain…well have to agree Rockylives Wermy seems like a very good choice when he returns…and thx for a great post old chap :

Good day to all and thankyou for the responses. To pick up on a few points:

GM: I don’t think Cesc will go, but a lot depends on whether we lift any silverware this year.

Fingooner – JW looks to have captain potential but it’s way too early for him yet (although when he’s 24 I could see him being captain of Arsenal and England).

MIcky – if it’s true (as rumoured) that we’re being offered £27m for RvP I would take the money in a heartbeat and try to buy Suarez from Ajax.

Harry – nice comment. If we were to buy that 28-32-year-old battle hardened ox for DM/CB I would be delighted.

Dandan – I can’t agree with your view of the captaincy. The PR side of it is much less important – that’s just the annoying duty that comes with the important part of the job (namely the on field role). You should always pick your captain on the basis of his suitability to lead the team on the pitch. The fact that he has some extra off field duties is neither here nor there.

GiE – I want to take issue with your point that flair players don’t make great captains but I’m struggling to think of some examples. Trevor Brooking? Steven Gerrard? Good point about Sagna – he is an outstanding RB. Is he loud enough to be captain? Also loved your point about about the difference between Maureen on the touchline and our own beloved Arsene. Arsene’s demeanour makes an on-field leader all the more necessary in my opinion.

26May – ideally we do need leaders all over the field, but I like the concept of a forceful leader who (through the office of captaincy) has the authority to tell the players what to do in the middle of difficult match situations.

Redders – does AW pay you for the mouthpiece role? If so, what with?

29. SharkeySure says:

HNY to to you too Tom !

Can I also say the same to you on behalf of London. I agree that his comment was a little out of order, but he is a bit of a nutter when riled.

You have a good one.

Thanks Toms – good debate always welcome on here. Yes, the prevailing sentiment is pro-Wenger, but we’ll always enjoy engaging with a more sceptical view provided there’s no silly name-calling.

31. SharkeySure says:

Cheers for your last post Rocky, you’ve just saved me 30mins of reading thru the comments. Well played.

Sharkey :) – anything to make life easier!

I imagine you lot are all getting in to New Years Eve mode (it’s not 8am yet here in Canadia).

33. Hi all

Thanks Rocky for a great post – can’t stop but before I go we need a pre-match for the morning if anyone fancies.

Be back in a while – Happy New Year Gnarley

HNY Gnarley!!!

35. dandan says:

Rocky You have my permission to disagree with me today given that it is a new year coming up. It seems fair to allow you to be wrong just this once, but will needless to say, straighten you out in the months ahead. LOL

DD :)
    Not the dreaded ‘straightener’??

Hi all,

Thanks for another classic post Rocky, shame some have judged it without reading to the end :roll:

I think there is one thing on which we may all agree, any team is better for having a strong leader and captain. I am happy with Cesc with TV hopefully as VC, I was very unhappy with Gallas (post brum game) and Almunia.

…. oh, and the likes of Adams, Vieira and Gerrard are very rare indeed.

Good point Rasp. The TA6s of this world come along very rarely. I don’t even think Paddy V was a perfect captain (not much of a shouter/cajoler) but his play was so dominating that it meant he probably didn’t need to talk so much.

40. gunnern5 says:

Over the years I’ve been very fortunate to watch some of Arsenal’s greatest captains – Joe Mercer, Frank Mclintock, Pat Rice, Kenny Sampson, Tony Adams and Patrick Vieira. They were are all leaders and stayed as Captain for at least 8 seasons. This longevity gave a special meaning to the Captaincy – a player the others looked up to and used as a role model.

My family always talked about how great Eddie Hapgood was but I never got to see him.

Unfortunately we do not have any current players who fit the old mould, so I would also choose Cesc and TV with TV being my first choice.

I remember watching Arsenal when we had no less than four players on the field who had all Captained England – any guesses?

41. ernest claridge says:

I haven’t read all the comments due to time limitations so someone may have already made this point. I think the captaincy distracts from players such as Cesc or TH14. They need to think only of their own game and not worry about having to set an example for others. I always prefer a defender ..my choice would be the obvious.. TV if hes fit. I wonder in Alex Song could grow into it. Of course none of us know who are the leaders in the dressing room and that’s essential knowledge.
    Happy New Year all. For those in Thailand/Cambodia I will be going there in a few weeks for a few months or longer so maybe we can catch a game. If anyone is interested please ask Peaches for my email.

Hi ernest,

That’s an excellent point. I think that there was an element of club politics in the appointment of TH as captain. Certainly if he headn’t been the exceptional talent he was, we’d have been less tolerant of some of his antics in the last season or two.

Alex Song is a mountain of strength in the midfield but I wonder if he is demonstrative enough to be a great captain. I think Sol Campbell showed us how a captain should behave (even though he wasn’t captain) in the latter half of last season. He was constantly talking to and encouraging the players around him

43. 26may1989 says:

GN5, my guess: some combination of Adams, Seaman, Platt, Keown and Campbell.

I would like to wish all the regulars on here a Very Happy and Healthy New Year and may Arsenal prosper.

dandan makes a good pont about leadership off the fiels,whilst on the field there should be 11 captains but that may well be the wrong word,it should be 11 who give 100%.

I second that Kelsey: a very happy New Year to all at AA. It’s been a surprise and a pleasure to have found myself among you this year. I have enjoyed so many wonderful posts and comments, not to mention a lot of brilliant humour and banter.

46. ytgunner says:

I think Chesney could be a future captain. The way he shouts at his backline, people much older than him, and the way he commands the defence. Brilliant. Of course, Vermaelen gets my vote.

But look at it this way. Cesc is an inspirational captain, not a holler-at-em captain.

ytg – interesting call on Chesney. He certainly has the attitude for it. I always wonder whether a GK can do enough to change a game…

48. SUGA3 says:

Happy New Year, y’all ;)

may the 2011 bring us a lot of trophy bling :grin:

49. gunnern5 says:

26may: You got it! Seaman, Adams, Platt & Keown.

50. gunnern5 says:

Happy New Year to everyone.

I wish you, and yours, good health and prosperity.

Oops nearly forgot – we also need something to go on our trophy shelf.

Hi kelsey, GN5, SUGA3, Rocky, dandan and AA’ers everywhere…. Happy New Year to you all

52. Neamman says:

Well if its shouting thats a qualification….

How about my wife?????

:>)

53. dandan says:

Happy new year bloggers all, good luck, health and fortune to you all and may the worldwide AA family continue to prosper along with our magnificent club.

54. Irishgunner says:

Happy New Year everyone.

Neanmann: :)
    Can she tackle too?

56. A big thank you from me (and Rasp) to everyone who checks in regularly either to comment or just read – we are lucky to have a great family of gooners from all around the world and I wish you all a very Happy and Healthy New Year.

Come on Arsenal :D

Only popping in to say Happy New Year to one and all.
    Happy New Year One and All.

58. Statics says:

Happy New Year to all the Gooners!!

59. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Morning all

So far its been a happy NY, balmy weather, Gooners are unbeaten. Take it from GG9, he recommends 2011 :cool:

Morning Gnarley. Much celebrating last night?

61. gnarleygeorge9 says:

G’Day Rocky

No, just a quiet one with the family, but off for a lazy Saturday arvo with friends today. I love this sort of weather.

3 points are on my mind!

62. SharkeySure says:

Just popped up from downstairs with la familia and a few friends, to wish all who frequent ArsenalArsenal whether as post writers, commenters, or silent readers – a very Happy New Year.

May 2011 be successful for one and all, but most of all, for our beloved Club. Trophy or no trophy lets hope they continue to entertain us and provide us with more highs than lows.

Peace and good will to you all !!

SharkeySure and the Shark family !!

63. [...] New Captain for Arsenal? Is it time Arsenal had a new captain? [...]

64. Gooner in Exile says:

Justcl read that Eboue has a new contract, he will definitely have a Happy New Year.

Feel sorry for Eboue haters waking up to that news in the morning with a hangover! Then again why should I feel sorry for Eboue haters they should support everyone who pulls on the Red and White shirt and tries. It’s why Perry Groves is a legend and why I always liked David Hillier.

65. Ziggy says:

Hilarious post, really loved it but wy even consider a change of our captain? As it is Cesc IS the best choice, period. If he does leave, which I hope it never happens regardless of money they may try to throw at us, then Vermaelen is an obvious choice too.

66. goonergerry says:

Tony Adams is history.Arsenal need all their players to be leaders. Cesc has the respect of his team mates because of his quality as a player and person. No one is going to strip Cesc of the captaincy- and neither should they. Have to agree with Ziggy. Wonder why you wrote it?

67. aad966 says:

once vermaleen is back from injury than if i was wenger i wud give the captaincy to him.. first of all he is a regular starter, secondly he has been at arsenal for a season so he knows how things are done unlike squillaci and thirdly cause he looks intimidating and i think he can command ppl 2 do things.. and lastly he is older than cesc….

68. Peter King Oloo says:

Cesc can make a good captain, if he stops analyzing near misses in the press & addresses each during the game. & because AW doesn’t put 2much premium on the Captaincy, no player there feels it’s much more than some round ribbon across the arm. I remember a game where Nasri came on for Cesc; He got the arm band and wore it while entering the pitch yet logic dictated that he takes it to Rosicky, the more senior player & leader.

69. DF says:

I think it is a non-question. It is almost blasmaphous to raise such a question after last season Cesc, risking hamstring injury, scored two goals against Aston Villa, and then broke his leg scoring against Barca at the Emirates. Whatever his merits or demerits, I would curse anyone suggesting that the captain armband be taken away from him. Don’t fans have memories and be grateful? I cannot imagine any other player, even TV5 acting like that. Same thing–TH14 may not be a good captain, but who can doubt his loyalty and love for the club? Even Cesc, while loving to go back to Barca, has passion for the club, that for the moment at least, TV 5 cannot match. I want to see if JW will have such love and passion before entrusting him with the armband. We have not forgotten how Gallas wore the armband and became a Spuds. I think loyalty and passion are more important than even leadership qualities, for a team like Arsenal.

Hi DF – if you read to the end of the piece you’ll see I agree with you :)

71. services seo says:

services seo…

[...]New Captain for Arsenal? « Arsenal Arsenal[...]…