More gloating or Wigan?

Here we are still wallowing in the glow of Monday’s memorable night, and yet forty eight hours later, it is once more ‘over the top’ and into battle. I do have a problem with inking a pre-match. From a footballing standpoint,  I take a great interest in all things Arsenal. However, I take none whatsoever in any other team, which leaves me with a big problem. I have absolutely no idea what a Wigan is. I know what a David Beckham is because I have a gay friend who says David is very handsome indeed. In the same way I know what a Posh Spice is, because my Wife has her hair done by someone called Trace. Now neither my gay mate or Trace have heard of any Wiganers, which must mean that they are butt ugly and their wives do not not make the pages of Halo Magazine.

I mean no offence to Wiganists, it is simply my heavily blinkered outlook.

So, back to what I think I do know. Firstly, we have a deep and very capable squad. Cesc is taking a wee breather, which is fantastic, and as I have discussed previously, I think the fitness of RvP and his influence over the remainder of the season will be paramount to what we achieve. Of course two games in two days is nuts, so some juggling will be performed by our string puller.

Also previously, I have aired my thoughts on defensive understanding, so I would always tamper with this department as little as possible. TV will be back at some point, so right now I would go with JD and Kozzer once more. We do have cover on the mend for Clichy in Gibbs, so for the sake of continuity, Gael begins.

We have the little matter of some other Chavs to entertain next Wednesday, so it is imperative to build on the momentum we created in such style against Chelsea. We all know about our vulnerability in being over confident and underestimating some teams. We also know that the teams around us are as capable of dropping unexpected points, which just reinforces how “Up For Grabs” the title is this season.

To my mind one of the great things about the aftermath of a massive win, is that it elevates the level of  belief within the squad. This in turn makes everyone want the ball, and the only way to get that ball is through selection. Voila, a hunger for places. Healthy competition. My only area of concern is in the cover for central midfield. I think we need Denilson back. He will be very valuable. I have to say that as soon as Rambo returns to Arsenal action, I will have considerably fewer worries.

With what looks like being one of the closest Title contests in years, it will be decided by these types of games. The fitness of key players amongst the protagonists will be key, and so will the ability to rotate during the periods of fixture congestion. We are very well placed in this department. Only City can match our bench, and lets face it, with Adebeyor, Tevez and Balotelli amongst their ranks, solidarity will not be one of their strengths. So tonight is where we discover what we are made of. This title will be won by twenty players, not eleven.

COME ON YOU GUNNERS.

Written by MickyDidIt89

Title inspired by London

176 Responses to More gloating or Wigan?

1. gnarleygeorge9 says:

I know a bloke called Don Wigan.

Thanks Micky for the post, I don’t have the techie skills to put the pitch lay-out into your post but I’m sure Rasp will do it when he’s around.

I like you wouldn’t change the CB pairing from the other night but I suspect AW will use Sqidgy instead of the new amazing man mountain Djourou alongside Kozzer.

3. Hi gnarley – what time will you have to get up for this game?

4. gnarleygeorge9 says:

6.30am peaches. Quite civilised really. Stick the coffee perculator on the stove, then sit back on the comfy couch for the fireworks.

5. The goal fest would be lovely but the three points are more important really. Wigan, under Martinez, like to play football don’t they, so we should get lots of space to play our game too.

Hi Peaches/London.
    Thanks for the Headline. Forgot about that bit. If you are going to get Rasp to do his layout stuff, then please omit the bracketed Eastmond. That was there for you to edit as I was unsure of Den’s fitness. Thanks.

Kind of strangley, you would imagine that during periods of fixture pile up, you would want every advantage including a Home game. I think being away on this occasion may be a help. We have fantastic away support, and I believe it will help to sharpen the senses after monday. Our worst games have been at home, and I think it will be good to get away from the cosy comfort of The Emirates.

8. It will be done Micky.

Has the great thaw reached you in Devon or was the thrust of your mother-in-law’s departure enough to clear the ice?

9. Its interesting what you say Micky about the Emirates being cozy, I remember the first time I went into Club Level thinking that it really wasn’t a football experience at all. Carpet, wallpaper, very nice ladies toilets – and lots of them, I managed to never go to the toilet at Highbury!!!!!!

On Monday night, after the initial rousing noise by the crowd there was a period when you knew everyone had settled back into their seats waiting for something to happen. The away supporters never do that, they’re always singing – well done to them.

10. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Its no good beating chavski 3-1 then dropping points 2 days later, due to still having combined heads in the clouds. Wigan must be a beaten, nothing less, there is a Title “Up for grabs nooooowwwwww”

COYRRR

Night

11. brdgunner says:

Fabianski

Eboue Johan kos Clichey

Diaby Denilson

Rosicky

Walcott Chamakh Arshavin

This team can win at Wigan. With Nasri, RVP, Bendy, Song, & Wilshire, that could change a game. The next 6 games are massive.

12. Oh no I’ve just realised we’re only three days from the madness that’s the January transfer window. If Denilson is going to be sold I would like us to be signing a sub for Song – if he gets injured we’re really in trouble, although Denilson doesn’t bring as much to the team as Song he is pretty reliable – in a boring kind of way.

Nite Gnarley.

Peaches,
    It came as no supprise to me that the ice vanished within hours of its departure. Spooky to some, I know!

15. 26may1989 says:

Thanks Micky.

Always hard to predict a line-up when there’s going to be rotation, but I reckon it’ll be:

Fabianski
    Sagna, Djourou, Koscielny, Clichy
    Denilson, Diaby
    Walcott (or possibly Eboue), Rosicky, Arshavin
    Chamakh

Last year’s defeat at Wigan, while coming once the title had gone away from us, was rubbish, hopefully the players will use that as motivation. And at least we don’t have Silvestre now…..

Peaches,
    I would far rather keep Denilson this season. He knows the drill, and like my team selection for tonight, could slot straight into a fully functioning Arsenally midfield with Rosicky and Diaby.

This is the great beauty of Arsene’s system. Players can come seamlessly in and out of the team, and the engine still purrs.

Off out.

19. I agree Micky, Denilson is a part of this team and slots straight in when needed but we know how AW likes to shake it up when it looks like its finally working.

20. 26may1989 says:

Can’t see Denilson being sold, at least not before Ramsey is match fit and available again. Vela looks the only one who might move out permanently.

21. Red Arse says:

Nice pre-match Micky. :-)

However, shame on you for not mentioning that world famous landmark, The Wigan Pier. Well unlike Blackpool Pier or Brighton Pier, it is no-where near the sea, because it is on the Leeds and Liverpool canal, but it is famous …. seriously! :-)

Peaches,
    Now that Gnarley has nagged me about an avatar as well, what do I do? I have a pic.

Apparently its called a Gravatar, Gnarley!!! Too much sun, that’s your problem.

RA,
    Ahh, of course. The Road to Wigan Pier.

I knew a Chinese bloke called Wi Gan.

26. Micky – would you like me to do it for you or send you instructions? You’ll need to sign in through http://www.wordpress.com and open an account – they’ll ask you if you want a blog or just a Gravatar. You get the chance to upload a pic which becomes your Gravatar, simples ;)

NIce preview Micky. I’m full of anticipation for tonight. Surely the buzz the lads got from working so hard as a team against the Chavs will carry over…

And if Raddy will forgive me, I have taken the liberty of looking up some facts about Wigan…
    The name dates from at least the 7th Century and was probably Celtic in origin.
    Population in 2001 was 81,203. Interestingly, the population a hundred years earlier was 82,428. So 1,225 people left.
    Famous sons: George Formby; Limahl from Kajagoogoo; and The Verve.
    Wigan is home to the annual World Pie Eating Championship – so our away supporters really can sing “who ate all the pies?” at them.

Morning all,

Great preview Micky. We seem to have righted all the wrongs in the last game. I was particularly pleased to see us come out revved up for the 2nd half – and behold, 2 goals.

I think the energy and work ethic was the most significant, we will need to pepeat that this evening. Luckily Wigan have an visionary manager who wants his team to play football and I doubt will tell his players to kick us off the park.

30. Gooner says:

Djourou aint guna start end of. Wenger aint rushing him and he’s not needed at Wigan, the big test is facing the lanky streak of piss Zigic on New years Day!!!

Micky,

Why don’t you send me your proposed pic for your gravatar and I will make sure it reproduces clearly in the small format. There aren’t that many good pics of Micky Thomas so good luck in your search ;)

Hi Gooner,

I think you are probably correct. Writers often select the team they’d like to see rather than the one they expect Arsene to pick.

I see tonight’s game as probably the most important of the 3 in as much as everyone expects us to win and it is games like this that we have slipped up on in the past. I hope the likes of Diaby and Denilson will work as hard and show as much urgency as we did against the chavs.

One pleasing aspect of the win against Chavski was Walcott’s performance. Theo had a brilliant start to the season then got injured. Naturally it took him a few games to get back into the groove, but the amount of people writing him off and saying he should be sold was ridiculous.
    There’s a clinical edge to Theo’s finishing this season that will bring him a fine haul of goals if he can stay fit. When he cuts in from either wing he loves to take his shots early before the ‘keeper can set himself and his shooting accuracy from those positions is excellent.
    Hopefully he’ll play tonight.

Rasp, I agree about the importance of tonight. If it’s a tight game our bench could be important.

35. London says:

Hi all

I love that opening paragraph of the post above, it made me howl.

36. OldGoon says:

Brilliant post, as usual.

Anyone know when Rambo is back?

London,
    You Lupine Beast, you!
    Rasp/Peaches,
    I will take you up on your offer, but I have really tried. I sieze up when asked for more passwords, and they asked me really complicated questions!
    I am not sending a pic of MT. Emailing now.

38. Let me smooth the way for your Gravatar enjoyment Micky – really complicated questions eh!!!!!! Really??????

I’ll tell you the passwords and keep them safe, you can change them if you want to, but I’ll need your blood group and inside leg measurement.

Don’t you start on the complicated questions as well! And pleeaase don’t send me a password. I cannot/will not change anything. It is simply not possible.

Cripes, I can feel something happening!! I am going to lie down.

41. Red Arse says:

Micky,

That’s the curse of the “inside leg measurement!” Always best done while lying down.

42. :lol: :lol: :lol: Men ………….

43. Neamman says:

I hope Chamack gets a rest, he didnt get one on monday. Rest him here and the Cup then bring himback next week, Surely Bendtner hasnt fallen so far down the pecking order that he cant get a game against Wigan??

44. Neamman says:

Oops forgot the Cup isnt til the following weekend. But still with so many games surely NicB is worth a start/

45. Hi Neamman – I agree about giving Nik a start, whats the point of paying him all this money not to play!!!!!!

Chamakh was the only player who seemed to have heavy legs on Monday – he just didn’t want to run ….

46. gunnern5 says:

In my mind the most significant difference against Chelsea was our off the ball work rate. To a man the team were closing down Chelsea when we didn’t have the ball, we were snapping at their heels and making the nessasary fouls when we were in danger.

Out work rate off of the ball was very similar to that of Barcelona and if it remains a part of our game then we will be in with a big shout for some trophies this season. However my big fear is that players like Arshavin, Bendtner (better than some but still tardy)and Denilson simply do not have it in them to play that way for 90 minutes so I would only use them as subs when we were in a winning position.

Nice pre match Micky but if we went with your proposed team that would equal seven changes and would include the three players that I believe have suspect work rates.

47. Irishgunner says:

Evening all – I’m back in the land of slow internet tonight so will have to make do with text updates and highlights later.

Peaches – thanks for the updates last night, good result in the end. My voice is still hoarse but worth it, this is the concert I went to.

48. Hi Irish – I think I have heard her before – she looks like the sister in Ugly Betty.

We’ll all be watching on a stream so hopefully between us we’ll get a good viewing. How do you think the team will shape up? Nik or Cham to start?

49. Irishgunner says:

Imelda May is on Jools Holland A LOT, and played the Grammy’s this year.

I’m going to go with Chamakh up front.

Line-up:
    Fabianski
    Sagna Squillaci Koscielny Eboue
    Rosicky Denilson Diaby
    Bendtner Chamakh Arshavin

51. SharkeySure says:

Good point about work rates GN5, some players just do not have an ability or physiology to ‘hare around’ after the opposition do they..??

The likes of Nik B really needs to realise what areas he is supposed to be in and then he’ll find he has much shorter distances to ‘hare’ between.

52. Thats probably where I’ve seen her. Peggy Sue did a gig with Jools Holland but he didn’t invite them to be on the show :(

53. Irishgunner says:

Probably – Jools Holland is mad about her, gave her air time when others wouldn’t. Dunno why she’s not bigger than what she is – she’ll be huge in America next year, she’ll have that rockabilly niche for herself.

So AW went for Nikki B and Chamackh – teaches us for trying to 2nd guess him :lol:

Bench: Szczesny, Nasri, Clichy, Theo, Djourou, Wilshere.

no rvp?

55. SharkeySure says:

Thanks for the post MIDI.

In theat mdfield you pick, I can’t see who’s gonna be in charge..??

On mon nite all three took ‘charge’ in their own way. I’d love to see Song out there tonight, just give the MF that authority that it misses without him.

Alex is only 23, and hasa long rest lie the others, and plays in a position that could allow him to not overextend himself if he chooses not to.

56. SharkeySure says:

“Arsenal: Fabianski, Eboue, Squillaci, Koscielny, Sagna, Diaby, Rosicky, Denilson, Bendtner, Chamakh, Arshavin.
    Subs: Szczesny, Nasri, Vela, Walcott, Wilshere, Djourou, Clichy.”

Wigan’s team includes Watson, Cleverley, Rodallega and Insomnia. Thats four very dangerous players. If we don’t start well, and with full commitment, we could be in a bit of trouble !!

COYRRG

57. Broke a toe-nail the other night I heard – how are you kelsey?

58. Who else is watching Scum 4 Arsenal 5 on sky?

59. That must’ve been some rubbish team eh – Mad Jens, Cashly, Cygan, Senderos, Lauren, Vieira, Fabregas, Freddie, Bobby, Thierry and I’ve lost one :(

Eboue as left back seemed to be a recipe for disaster, but last time he played in that position he did remarkably well.

This is a weakened team, no Nasri, Cesc or Wilshere and Diaby not match fit. Who is going to be the playmaker? Looking at that line-up, a lot will rest on Denilson’s shoulders. He could be making his way out of the club considering the advancement of Wilshere and Ramsey’s return, so this could be his chance to stake a claim.

61. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Morning all

Holidays, sunshine & The Arsenal certainly go together :cool:

Don’t take your foot off the peddle mon ami. Go for the jugular Arsene :twisted:

62. SharkeySure says:

Thats a fucking dive !!!!!!!

WE are very lucky to be 2:1 up.

As I have asked several times recently – why doesn’t Arsene ever learn?

8 changes
    No Cesc, Nasri, Song, Wilshere (on for Diaby)
    We have Denilson – hardly played
    Eboue at right back
    Diaby – unreliable
    Rosicky – not the player he was
    AA – out of form

This team selection shows a lack of respect for Wigan who are fighting to stay out of the relegation zone and are capable of good attacking football.

64. gnarleygeorge9 says:

How was that a penalty?

Little Jacky has changed the game.

AA23 is like a Martini, he needs to be shaken, not stirred. Assist No 9 for the season & a nice finish as well.

65. Well we’ve got out of jail so far but Arsene must have been drinking when he put together this team.

66. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Calm down Raspy :cool:

67. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Yes peaches, drinking with Diaby @ the pub. Why does he start with 2 tall forwards NB52 & Chamakh

68. For 35 mnutes we looked like schoolboys – I hate it when AW does this, I want to enjoy watching my football!!!!!!!!

Hopefully it’ll all be fine but Wigan have a strong attack. Kozzer has already been punished for sticking a leg out so thats his one muck-up gone :)

69. Irishgunner says:

We’re winning, and the chavs are dismal by all accounts, hopefully Bolton can pop up with a goal.

70. Good news about the chavs ;)

Shit shit shit, just got in, what’s going on. We were 1 down, are we winning??????

72. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Yes MDI89. But went behind from a dubious penalty. Little Jacky has since come on for Diaby & lit the fuse, & AA23 has gone off like a cracker.

73. Its 2-1 to us now Micky :D

74. Nik had a shot saved and deflected into the path of Arsh who scored with a rather good overhead kick, then Nik slotted home for the 2nd

Who scored our goals

I’m calm gnarley, but I just don’t think our manager’s risk assessments are up to scratch. To make so many changes and replace proven reliable performers with players who are either not match fit or not on form is a gamble we shouldn’t be taking.

I take it you know we’re 2:1 up now Micky.

Thank god Diaby has gone off and LJ is on.

78. Whats that game when the question gets answered before its asked?

I did well with team. Bloody hell, this was a tough one to predict. I am much better than BR!!!
    Logged on to onlinefootie now. Here we go go Gunners!!

80. Irishgunner says:

Jeopardy

You did Micky, the only difference is EE at LB. I think we’ll need a third to secure the 3 points.

82. Irishgunner says:

Chavs 1-0 up

Hi Rasp,
    Don’t really agree about the lack of respect. Chelsea was only 48 hours ago. Had it been saturday, I’m sure AW would have gone full strength.

Was Denilson this good 1st 45?

85. Irishgunner says:

:lol: Liverpool losing again

Irish,
    Exactly how many screens do you have?

Concentrate now lads!

Oh f…………

Get Theo on…surely

90. Irishgunner says:

I can’t see our game MDI89 so just keeping updated on BBC text, hence how I know all the scores ha ha

Liverpool 0 – 1 Wolves
    Chelsea 1 – 0 Bolton

91. Irishgunner says:

Oh for fuck sake – more points thrown away

92. SharkeySure says:

Gutted.

Fabianski in complete no mans land. We have 7 yellow shirts in the box and at least are stood stock still ball watching.

No pen for handball…shocking

Two points thrown away by our manager – disgraceful.

We need someone at the club who can tell him when he’s entering into Arsene dreamland. I’m sure in his head he had a romantic vision of our 2nd string scoring 6 – he never learns.

94. SharkeySure says:

*at least 4*

The man at the near post should have left that post by that time imho.

Just seeing the handball replay. Barely an appeal from any player, the appeals you can see look to be claiming for a corner.

Weak on details our lot

Only saw second half, but I think it was a huge mistake not sticking with JD alongside Kos.
    Hate to try some positive spin so soon, but in the cold light of day, the result won’t seem that bad. Chucking away the lead will though.

96. charybdis1966 says:

Groan, what an anti climax….it’s like loads of foreplay and then nothing.

Arsene will keep fucking about with the CB’s. It is all about understanding.

Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely….

Too much power rests in Arsene’s hands and it has clouded his judgement. He’s a great manager who has taken on too much. Just for once, I’d like to hear him take some responsibility for this result. He got it wrong by underestimating the oppposition and thinking too much of the next game instead of the one he was about to play.

3 points is 3 points whether its against Chelsea, Wigan or Brum – why did he consider the 3 points against Brum to be more important than tonight’s game?

I am going to bore you as well me if I stay, and I have a big day tomorrow. So I’m off.
    Shit, scoring two away from home should be enough.
    Nite all.

100. How can a team build any kind of momentum when its not the same team – its a nonsense to change 8 players from Monday and expect them to be carried along on the wave of victory.

101. charybdis1966 says:

You’re right there Raspers, too many changes in one go.

Oh well, we move onto Brum now.

That’s pissed me off a tad.

102. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Ok Rasp, I’m with you now. & without sounding like a record, why isn’t Johan an automatic starter. Total lack of respect for the importance of a solid defence by The Arsenal hierarchy.

8 changes be fcuked. Why??????????????????

103. gnarleygeorge9 says:

If it wasn’t for genius of the Wizard Whitlock, I’d be totally peeeeeved.

104. Wonderman says:

I would’nt go too overboard, their goal was a simple goal keeping error, Fabianski had no right going past his post. Decisions with long balls into the box appear to be his weakness ditto chelsea on monday, newcastle at home.
    It feels like a loss but remember we came from a goal down and they had an extra day’s rest, which at this time year makes a difference. Squillaci proves that “experience” gaurantees you nothing but put it this way we got a point more than we did last year !

I’m not calling for AW’s head; or moaning that he won’t spend money; or complaining about the lack of trophies…..

I’m just fed up with him mollycoddling the players. There are teams with tiny squads who send the same players out game after game and they perform.

For some reason our players apparently aren’t strong enough so for us ‘rotation’ means being prepared to drop points in order to wrap players in cotton wool.

If Song had played this evening we would have won.

106. We’re five points behind where we were at the same time last season – surely that tells you something?

It does ….. we never learn :(

108. SharkeySure says:

Well said Wonderman (who’s a good mate of mine btw!)

I don’t think that the changes meant everything.

Their pens a dive
    At 2-1 we were in almost complete control with this group of players
    Fabianski & others make a massive error in allowing one wigan player to cause such havoc in our box.
    Ref denies us a clear clear pen which he should have been perfectly placed to see.

For me, none of that’s about personnel, as Fabianski was always going to play.

Fabianski is error prone and crumbles under pressure. He should have stopped the Chelsea goal at the weekend which was straight at him and was culpable for Wigan’s second tonight.

110. Sid says:

Tad harsh Rasp. Disgraceful? I don’t think the manager underestimated the opposition at all. In the cold light of day I think you will see this result as quite unlucky. Penalty given for them, penalty not given for us. The difference in the end. Look at Man U last night. They were unlucky too. I must say though, I think it’s over for Diaby. The manager can’t count on him any more.

111. Wonderman says:

The bottom line is if you were offered 5 points off the top at the end of the year with only 3 injuries at the beginning of the season most gooners would have taken it. The only reason this ‘looks’ damaging is losing to WBA and Newcastle at home. We’ve matched the leaders with them still to come to us and play Chelsea. As I said to my mate earlier Denilson and Diaby in the same midfield always concerns me, but even that was,nt why we lost. We lost because Arshavin did’nt make it 3-1 and Fabianski continues to make bad goalkeeping decisions in respect to long balls

112. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Q: Who is to blame for the dropping of 2 points?

A: …………………………….

113. Sharkey – can you pen a match report?

114. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Someone needs to take a good hard look @ themselves in the mirror & be big enough to actually take the heat, not try and make excuses.

8 changes to a winning side is ludicrous end of!

Hi Sid,

Sorry, unlucky? – decisions go for and against you in all games. We blame the ref when we drop points but that is absolving ourselves of responsibility. We didn’t learn when we sent out a weakened side and failed to win our CL group and we didn’t learn tonight when we made 8 changes. We were fantastic against Chelsea, tonight’s performance was unrecogniseable in comparison because it was a different team.

116. gnarleygeorge9 says:

How can AA23 take the blame. Fabianski made a similar save minutes later which would have made it 2-3.

117. Surely squad rotation is about moving players in and out of the team to get the best out of the players and not affect the team in a negative way.

118. London says:

Welcome Wonderman

Any friend of Sharkey’s is a friend of ours.

119. London says:

Exactly so Peaches.

120. SharkeySure says:

I can try

121. Sid says:

Rasp, all I can do is refer you to the papers today and all managers complaining of two games in 48 hours. The intensity of the game the other night must have played into the managers team selection. If he plays JD, van Persie et al who have been injured and they get injured again the manager gets stick. If not and we don’t win he gets stick. What do you do?

122. London says:

I understand Rasp’s frustration but the theory was right: rotation was the best way of dealing with the congestive fixture list. Wenger got let down by his players. If I vented the way I would like to BR would never talk to me again.

Sid you’re a fellow gooner who must also be feeling the disappointment so I’m not arguing with you or anyone else on here. We should worry about putting the 3 points in the bag, not the three points we may or may not get in the game after. If we lose to Brum, the gamble of tonight will seem even more ludicrous.

124. Wonderman says:

Just seen their equaliser again 3 errors a) Sagna loses his player which allows the player to head back across the goal b) Fabianski inexplicably leaves the centre of his goal c) Squillaci is caught again inexplicably on the wrong side of his opponent.
    It does’nt matter who is playing if you continue to make basic defnsive errors like that you will Always concede. We have let in 22 goals in 19 games. If we continue at this rate we will be in the 40’s by the end of the season. I dont do blame …I do performing the basics of your job

125. London says:

Rasp

I’m not sure Wenger was focusing on the Birmingham game.

126. Wonderman says:

Thanks London

127. Thanks Sharkey – you’ll manage to open our eyes to some positives I feel, whereas Rasp and I may damage the good feelings we try to maintain on this site.

London – Sharkey is going to make us feel all better tomorrow lol

London, I could have understood a sensible level of frustration, but 8 out of 10 outfield players????? Peaches suggested that we should start with a stronger team and then rest key players if we build up a lead – not a bad idea, but nothing we would ever do anymore than make a substitution at half time.

129. Sid says:

I’m not arguing either. I’m frustrated too. I think all on here are. The theory was right but it didn’t work. What can I say Rasp, all us fellow gooners feel terrible. But as I’ve said before I’m an optimist. Chin up mate. It could be worse. You could support Liverpool!

Wonderman I agree with everything you say in your 10:38 – a perfect illustration of us not learning from our mistakes. The scenario you describe is familiar!

131. London says:

Rasp

I see it in a way the team he put out should have been strong enough to beat Wigan. Did you see Arshavin in the second half? None of us did, he was in a well known West End night club, Bendner was drinking with him. There is a section of players that just don’t try as hard as they should.

132. It was essential and not unexpected that there would be squad rotation for todays game – thats not the problem, Its the gungho way that AW makes wholesale changes without thinking about who is going to run the game.

It was lucky that Diaby picked up a knock and Jack came on as before that we were a team of headless chickens.

133. And then when they’re not working he leaves them on the pitch – thats bad management.

Absolutely totally agree with you London …. and we knew that about the players before the team was announced. The side on Monday was full of battlers (Clichy, Nasri, Song, Cesc), tonight’s side had several players who we know go missing. We can afford to carry one or two passengers, but not half the team.

135. gnarleygeorge9 says:

If Big Johan was there to crash through the pack near the end, that ex Celtic prick Caldwell would have just been splattered/brushed off like a fly.

Please Mr Wenger, do not take risks. You need the Big Fella from now till the end of May. He is a rock!!!!!

136. London says:

We got a really good perspective of just how influential Jack is now…..the poor boy just couldn’t do it all.

137. London says:

I agree with the idea that he should have changed them around seventy minutes……..half time makes no sense they had just scored and in theory should have been buzzing but I want to shoot the pair of them.

Jack was the closest we had to a leader on the pitch this evening. He’s brilliant, but only 18 and we are asking too much of him.

139. gnarleygeorge9 says:

You blame AA23 for dropping points :lol: I cannot believe you people. Are you pissed or something?

140. Wonderman says:

Rasp, we make basic defensive mistakes in every game. Even the penalty which looked soft to me , Diaby’s positioning virtually invites the player to go inbetween him and Kosser…unbelievable for a pro to make that decision. I cant remember the last time in the league a team scored a goal of beauty against us which did’nt have an element of gift about it

I wasn’t suggesting we should have made changes at half time today, I’m suggesting we should have made changes before the game was started. As I said on here at the time, we were very lucky to be 2:1 up at half time, the writing was on the wall then but it was already too late to put it right.

142. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Get a grip. A player scores one & assists in another & he is to blame? You don’t deserve quality players you really don’t. No wonder Cesc wants to go!!

143. gnarley – who’s blamed arsh for dropping the points?

144. London says:

Gnarley

I watched the game from a pub and I can honestly say I cannot remember Arshavin doing one single thing in the second half. Against Chelsea we chased after everything but the importance of that side of the job seems to be ignored by Bendtner and Arshavin.

145. London says:

Me, he is a lazy sod.

146. gnarleygeorge9 says:

read back how “lazy” he apparently is. & I don’t just mean this post, or this site.

8 changes to a winning side. Who in world sport does that? & expects to win away?

Wonderman,

I’m not a Diaby fan. He has moments of instinctive brilliance but too many other times when he doesn’t read the game and gives away possession too cheaply and seldom makes enough effort to make amends. He gives more hospital passes than any player in the squad. What was so brilliant on Monday was how good we were when not in possession of the ball – the opposite was true this evening.

148. SharkeySure says:

I’m not Spartacus either…ooops I meant I’m not arguing either…lol

Seriously Rasp, I owe you half an apology, cos I weren’t too enamoured with the team that started either. I also suggested on here pre-match that Song needed to start this game, two day gap or not.

Of course, we may or may not have had the same outcome.

Anyway off to try and cobble together a silk purse, once I’ve found a pig and cut its ear off.

149. London says:

Alright, good night folks, theropy is over for me.

Thanks Sharkey,

You’re a better man than I :? There are plenty of quotes (rants) on here for you to pull apart in your match report – good luck!

151. So he should have been subbed – they should have been subbed – 10 minutes of magic at the end of the first half isn’t enough.

And those flashes of magic instill a feeling of power that then evaporates.

152. SharkeySure says:

Gnarley, big DJ got the call on Monday, that was a big call, and a very positive sign of how he is now viewed. But after 14mths out he won’t be made or asked to play twice in two days. Its just not gonna happen.

Night London,

I’m off too, today is my birthday and its not been great – maybe I’m taking it all too personally.

154. gnarleygeorge9 says:

8 changes to a winning side that beat their nemesis chavski, for an away game where they lost last time round after leading 0-2. Its either arrogance or stupidity, one of the two.

Dropping 2 points this season is like dropping 5 or 6 in previous season due to the closeness of the comp this time round.

When some of you wake up tomorrow with hangovers, remember “8 changes to a winning formula” cost you your bragging rights with your opo mates. & the problem is French. Now the sun is calling me :cool:

155. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Shark

If JD20 was actually asked I bet he would have jumped @ it. Title winning spots in sides aren’t available to softies. Ask Tony Adams.

156. Neamman says:

Spuds only 3 points behind us.

157. gnarley – I think most of us are in agreement that 8 changes to a team that were on fire on Monday was a ridicuous gamble. Enjoy the sunshine :D

158. gnarleygeorge9 says:

peaches

I was sort of defending those who might cop it for saying the bleeding obvious like rasp & you.

Actually while I was down in the garden weeding I was thinking about RVP. Why did he need a rest? Song would run all day all year if he had to so he should have played.

We all knew that the boyz needed a 3rd goal buffer, so why didn’t Arsene Wenger make the change earlier to suit the situation, not his wim. He says he has the uttmost confidence in his squad, so why not make the changes when they needed to be made. Oh what, he takes off the spark Lil’Jacky. Dumb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

159. SharkeySure says:

Peaches, just mailed you that silk purse I was making !

160. Clear as a bell gnarley – I thought I’d missed something from earlier lol

161. You’re a SharkeyStar, it will make us feel better won’t it, our sanity is in your hands :lol:

162. SharkeySure says:

Gnarley, sorry I dithered between asked and made, only cos I know he’d have no say in it. I wholly agree that he’d want to play, and that he woud have smashed Caldwell in two.

Do you remember the nut that DJ put on the Hull striker Manucho that was on loan from Man U. That was stone cold I tell ye….

163. SharkeySure says:

Only in parts Peaches. I do introduce the TLR though !!!

*From the gallery* “Ooh a bit of mystery…..I love a bit of mystery me.”

Nite all

164. Nite Sharkey and thanks.

Rasp is 100% right. I could not believe it when I heard he had made 8 changes to the team that beat Chelsea.

I don’t care if they were going to be knackered – we could take some of them off after 70 and, in any case, they had a 10 day break before the Chav game.

Football is all about momentum. Monday’s brilliant win gave us the potential to really push on, but only if we played substantially the same team. I bet the 11 players who beat Chelsea were itching to play again as soon as possible and recreate that great feeling. Instead 7 of them were rested (and 1 suspended).

HUGE MISTAKE by the boss.

The table ain’t gonna get prettier.
    Citeh and Spuds have both got ‘gimmes’ on Saturday (home to Blackpool and Fulham respectively).
    ManUre are away at West Brom, who have started to slide badly after their good start to the season.
    Chavs are home to woeful Villa on Sunday.
    Meanwhile we go to the Brummies, who are hard as hell to beat at their place.
    By Sunday night we could be fourth, level on points with the Spuds and 5 pts behind ManUre having played a game more.

OR WE COULD HAMMER BIRMINGHAM 5-0!

Just glancing through some of the reports, not a single mention of Nzogbia’s dive for the penalty. Imagine if that had been an Arsenal player who went down like that.

I realise I’m talking to myself now, so I should say goodnight (to myself).

ESPECIALLY AS I HAVE TAKEN TO ENDING ALL MY COMMENTS WITH CAPITALS.

168. GhostFace says:

The ‘Arsene Out’ brigade really needs to take the blinkers off and look at the big picture of what is being built at our club.

Yesterday’s result showed that our young team is finally ready to claim its destiny.
    ——————————–

Lmfao :lol:

169. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Why the %$#& was RVP10 rested? The boy has barely raised a sweat this season for The Club, yet he is given time off.

8 bloody changes, what a joke, what an absolute joke :lol:

Rocky

Not to mention the hand ball incident which was exactly the same as the Cesc one against the spuds. Yet the scapegoat again is AA23.

8 friging changes for changes sake :evil:

170. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Call me paranoid, whatever ;) but. I know Arsene Wenger is paid a shed load of dosh to manage The Club, but I wonder if someone else pays him more to tank each year.

I don’t mean that, honestly, but how can 8 changes be explained?????

Cesc yes, Johan no, Sheeps head no, Nasri yes, RVP certainly not, Lil’Jacky no, Theo no, Chamakh & AA23 I can understand why they started coz they are class, Clichy no.

Morning all,
    My powers of recovery are legendary, but today, I am mighty pissed off. Here’s why.
    First thing, the team I posted above was what I thought AW would do, NOT what I would have done. I made it clear in the post that the area of the team you do not muck about with is the heart of the defence. As far as I am concerned, the two CB’s and the GK should eat, sleep and breathe together. Once again, he breaks up what is clearly our strongest pairing (at the moment) of Kos and JD. This is utter madness.
    As for the other changes, well we scored two away from home, and that ought to be enough. The defensive side of the midfield was covered by Denilson who is hardly inexperienced.
    Thankfully, I am out today, and can switch off.
    Bye bye.