Oh Ye of Little Faith: Arsenal 3 Chelsea 1 (and ratings)

Where are they now then, the doubters and doomers, the carpers and cavilers?

There’ll be barely a squeak from them today and what little there is will be drowned out by another sound.

Do you hear it?

That low, grinding rumble?

It’s the sound of tectonic plates shifting; of seismic change in the English Premier League.

An edifice that hitherto had seemed rock-like and immovable is revealed as friable and fragile. Its place is suddenly vulnerable to a hard, new force that has been quietly forming and solidifying.

Or, to mix metaphors, the Roman empire is facing decline and fall, while Arsene Wenger’s belle epoque is about to begin.

Does this sound like hyperbole?

I don’t care. Monday December 27th will come to be seen as the day the Arsenal reclaimed its rightful place as London’s top club. (Yes, I know our history and record of trophy winning puts us streets ahead of any other club in the capital but, on the field of play, we have indisputably been second best to Chelsea for the best part of five years).

It was only one game, but the symbolism was immense.

Chelsea’s tired old warriors were out-played, out-passed and out-fought, while their younger colleagues looked weak and ineffectual. Arsenal exhibited fire, hunger, energy and skill.

The Chelsea bench had all the depth of a toddlers’ paddling pool.  Arsenal’s bench, by comparison, was the Marianas Trench. Just look at the respective line-ups:

Arsenal: Szczesny, Squillaci, Diaby, Rosicky, Arshavin, Chamakh, Bendtner.

Chelsea: Turnbull (who?), Bosingwa, Van Aanholt (who?), Bruma (who?), Ramires (what a waste of money), McEachren (who?), Kakuta (who?).

The victory was thoroughly deserved and the margin should perhaps have been bigger. But if you look beyond this single result the evidence for a shift in the balance of footballing power in London is even more compelling.

Chelsea have a relatively small stadium and often have trouble filling it. Their billionaire owner (whose roubles are the only reason that they have been able to compete at the top level) has snapped shut the wallet. If the rumours are to be believed, he is now focusing on the 2018 World Cup in Russia and is losing interest in his malfunctioning toy.

To replace ageing players of the calibre of Terry (30), Lampard (32), Drogba (32), and Cole (30) they will need to spend tens and tens of millions, because they certainly don’t have any real quality coming through the ranks.

It’s unlikely that Roman Abramovich will make the money available. And even if he did, who’s to say the new acquisitions would gel with the rest of the team, or that Chelsea would be able to compete with the even bigger billionaires at Man City (and, possibly, at Old Trafford, if the Qatar Royal Family story turns out to have legs)?

Any way you cut it, Chelsea are in for a period of decline. They won’t collapse like a house of cards, they will still win some big games and stay in touch with the championship race this season, but their time is over.

Our time, however, is just beginning. Arsene Wenger has brought together a squad of supremely gifted players at very little cost, nurturing talent from within and balancing the budget while moving us to a new 60,000 seater stadium and keeping us in the Champions League every year. In the future this achievement will come to be more widely appreciated for the astonishing piece of management it is. If you don’t believe me, just look at the fuss made about Old Twitchy and his Posse of Cocks for getting into the Champions League just once, despite having spent tens of millions more than Arsenal on players over the last 10 years.

The ‘Arsene Out’ brigade really needs to take the blinkers off and look at the big picture of what is being built at our club.

Yesterday’s result showed that our young team is finally ready to claim its destiny.

I have rambled on for too long now, so there will be no full match report, just some observations:

• We were fantastic. A true team performance in which we completely outplayed the champions.
  • Djourou was immense and limited our nemesis Drogba to scraps and crumbs.
  • Chelsea’s goal came from a dead ball situation and, apart from that strike, they rarely threatened (and certainly not from open play). So much for our ‘weak defence’.
  • Playing Theo against Cashley was a Wenger masterstroke, nullifying the greedy traitor’s attacking threat.
  • The biggest factor that decided the game was our work rate. Every single Arsenal player bust a gut to help his team mates.
  • In other words, for a change, we played as well when we did not have the ball as when we did have it. This is the trick Barcelona have mastered.
  • We were better without Arshavin. I love the pocket Russki, but Theo’s defensive work (aided by his recovery speed) was a refreshing change and gave extra support to Sagna.
  • One man bossed the game from start to finish: Alex Song, take a bow.

After such an outstanding and emphatic win I don’t want to dwell on negatives but, like an impoverished Japanese home owner, I have a couple of small carps:

• Cesc is still blowing hot and cold (he made some careless misplaced passes and was caught in possession a few times) but the ‘hot’ bits were scorching.
  • Koscielny could have done better for their goal, failing to get a proper challenge in on Ivanovich.
  • Fabianski’s position was poor for the goal – he neither came to claim it nor stayed on his line to save. Instead he came into no man’s land and seemed to try the unusual trick (for a goalie) of making himself small.

But, as I say, these are only small complaints in what was an all-round team performance of great confidence and power.

This should now give us the boost we need to go on a run of great results, starting tomorrow at Wigan.

Come on you Reds!

RockyLives

Player Ratings

Fabianski: Chelsea hardly troubled him, but he might have done better for their goal. 6

Sagna: excellent game from our Mr Reliable. 8

Djourou: at last we have a CB who refused to be intimidated by Drogba. Towering performance by the big Swiss. 8.5

Koscielny: lost Ivanovich for their goal, but apart from that did very well and made some very important tackles and interceptions. 7.5

Clichy: still prone to charge forward when we should be protecting a lead, and was dispossessed too easily a couple of times, but his forward thrust did help keep Chelsea pegged back. 7.5

Fabregas: some outstanding play from the skipper, including the glorious pass for Theo’s goal. His passing is still not back to its very best – but it will soon get there, and what an awesome prospect that will be. 8

Song: what can you say? He was immense, scoring the vital opener (and yet again making me eat my words for saying he should not go forward so much) and breaking up Chelsea’s moves for the entire match. 9 MoTM

Wilshere: made a few mistakes through inexperience, but the fact he held his own in such a big game at the age of just 18 is so, so encouraging. Imagine what he’ll be like at 21!  7.5

Walcott: kept Cashley confined to defensive duties and suckered him beautifully for the second goal. Was always a threat and took his goal well. 8

Nasri: almost scored with a sublime chip and was constantly probing at Chelsea’s right flank. Not as influential as in some recent games, but that was partly because we sent a lot of play down Walcott’s wing. Fluffed a great chance in a one-on-one with Cech. 7.5

van Persie: started very sharply and displayed good movement, but never quite got the game by the scruff of the neck. Tried a couple of ambitious shots that went well over the bar. 7

Subs

Diaby (for Walcott, 73 mins): didn’t really get into the pace of the game, but that’s hardly surprising after such a long lay-off. 6

Chamakh (for van Persie, 76 mins): slotted in to his usual centre forward role without fuss and held the ball up well. 7

Rosicky (for Fabregas, 88 mins): used his experience to help run the clock down, but not on long enough for a rating.

120 Responses to Oh Ye of Little Faith: Arsenal 3 Chelsea 1 (and ratings)

Comment from Carlito 11 brought forward from yesterday’s post …..

I’ve never enjoyed a bleary eyed 3am kick off game with the sound turned down so as not to wake my sleeping wife so much in my whole life! What a cracking team performance! So many positives: Song was splendid. We were dominant in the air and aside from the slip up for their goal, even in dead ball situations. JD was great but Kozzer also won a lot in the air and it was great to see him take the ball off Drog when he got the ball goalside of him even if the linesman got the offside call right. Theo did some things brilliantly and combined well with Cesc. Jack played a great sensible game and Nasri too. I particulary liked that we looked to break quickly at times and mixed up qucik forward balls with our normal possession play. Not quite sure what Diaby contributed when he came on but we will need him in the coming games. Well played the lads!

2. Arse&Nose© says:

walcott played infront of sagna, so dont know how you came to the conclusion that he helped out clichy!

3. Statics says:

Right now we have the BEST defensive midfielder in the world! I always thought essien edge out song a little bit, well, maybe by experience. But judging by yesterday perfomances, essien who?!! He won the battle in the middle of the park, in the defensive third, and have a time to place his name on the scoresheet as well.. He did his job, fabregas job, big johan job, and messi job in the same time!

Damn it! I hate song! he really put Bergkamp and Viera places in my greatest Arsenal player of all time in jeopardy!!:)

4. chris says:

just saying but yesterday’s result probably says more about Chelsea than Arsenal.

ManCity, ManU are the teams to beat right now that’s obvious and being the best team in London is not a trophy (although personally I think it’s better than the Carling Cup)

Morning A&N,

Thanks for the heads up on that, I’ve ammended the post.

Rocky is in N America so won’t be coming on until later in the day – pretty damn good match report apart from that little glitch though don’t you think?

chris,

Do me a favour, we can expect the Arsenal haters to make that point but not our own fans surely. It was an excellent team performance that showed all the qualities our detractors have been saying we lack.

We were strong, disciplined, worked hard, closed them down, defended well (apart from the goal) and we were clinical in front of goal. Chelsea looked poor because we outplayed them.

7. SharkeySure says:

Chris…..is that really your only thought on this bright sunny tropical morning..??

Do you not think that Chelsea fans viewed this as the sort of game that was perfect for ending the slump. Full strength team out, with all their big guns back..?? Lol.

Honestly, what were your pre match thoughts/hopes about the game ??

8. chris says:

I’m not saying it wasn’t a good performance
    I’m not at all a doom monger and I think the future is generally bright
    But I just think you’ve got a bit carried away and the post sounds a bit too triumphalist.
    This Chelsea team has been beaten by Sland and Bham and drawn with Newcastle (as well as Everton and Spurs). The title’s about consistency in the run-in, sorting out the home form and maintaining the away form and beating ManCity and ManU if possible both (and Spurs is a massive game, too).

9. Steve says:

Having not played for over 2 months Diaby seemed to be facing the right way and made and received a few passes – he will get better – hope he plays on Wednesday and allows Song or Wilshere to be fresh for the weekend.

10. SharkeySure says:

You’d think some people had had to sleep rough last night Rasp. Jeez.

11. SharkeySure says:

Chris. Tomorrow’s for down playing and a bit of overanalysis if you like.

You HAVE to celebrate and enjoy every win. Thats where the problem starts, when wins are taken for granted and or expected.

The author doesn’t talk about us having one hand on the trophy does he..??

Written in peace Chris, we question, not attack over here.

12. SharkeySure says:

Rasp. Sent a draft post in to Arsenal nuts address.

It started out as a comment but two lines I knew it had legs. Its a bit topical but not urgent.

chris,

I understand where you are coming from, but lighten up, let’s enjoy a great victory and as Raddy put it yesterday – ‘a monkey off our backs’

We’ll have plenty of time to stress about the upcoming games, but for a team that was 2nd in the Premiership we have had to put up with a lot of criticism so I’m not ashamed to indulge in a bit of light triumphalism after last night’s result.

Rocky,
    Oh happiness on top of joy with a great post.

15. chris says:

Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!

Yes, it’s very nice that we’ve shown we can play at a level that gives us a chance based on what we do rather than relying on others.

And it’s also great that people are startig to see the strength of the squad (especially with the young guys starting to come through properly soon, eespecially Frimpong, Afobe, Aneke and hopefully Lansbury, Bartley and Coquelin).

I mumbled on here a short time ago about the importance of keeping Nasri, Cesc and RvP fit if we were to achieve top honours this season. I read a comment on LeGrove last night where someone said that on the previous two occasions that we beat the Chavs in recent years, both RvP and Cesc were playing, however never both in the other dismal results. Interesting stat.

17. bops says:

There is only on SONNGGGG !!!

Rasp,
    “a bit of light triumphalism”…jeepers, I have sent out for a full marching band!

Rocky,
    You made an excellent point about Theo helping out on the Sagna/Cashley side of things. I was equally impressed with the Clichy/Nasri axis on the other flank. Both Theo and Sami made absolutely vital contributions towards denying Chelsea time and space in a non Dr Whoey kind of way.

Thinking of Dr Who, what I would give to go back to yesterday and do it all again. I have a warm other worldly glow today.

Strewth, my laptop is being driven by nothing but positive vibrations. No mains or batteries required today my friends.

Morning Micky,

Rocky makes a very good point about the strength of our bench (and the lack of quality on Chelsea’s). We are going to need all the squad players to see this campaign through and hopefully the competition for places will bring out the best in them. I’m not sure what Vela or Almunia’s future hold, but I don’t expect to see much of either of them in the rest of the season.

23. California Gooner says:

I thought that Arsene got the line-up dead on yesterday; good thing he consulted Big Raddy on that one ;-). While Song was immense, really everywhere, I didn’t think there was a player on the pitch for Arsenal that was not excellent, with the possible exception of RVP. And even he did his work. It was really a quite awesome team performance.

24. Carlito11 says:

What a cracking write up! I’ve been beaming all day (dinner time here now) and can’t quite put into words my enthusiasm and renewed optimism for the coming 5 months. The ManYou result felt like a 50-50 1-0 scoreline and we beat the ManChavs away already so I think we can safely say we can at least hold our own with all the top prem teams this season. And if we can play the same game with the same commitment and harrying we may even do well against Barcelona (oh how that fixture glimmers like the North Star!) Gutted I couldn’t be at the Grove or even hear them on TV last night- a 12th man I hear! Good times :-D

Rasp,
    Indeed. Just shows how short termist the Chelsea approach has been. Absolutely no youth policy whatsoever.

I did hear that Abramovich has designs on F1.

Let’s hope he doesn’t buy McClaren or Williams, I’m sick of him buggering up British sport, he should go back to ice hockey.

Hi Carlito,

It would be great if we could have a 10 day rest before the Barca game – it certainly showed in our energy levels yesterday. I’d be confident of victory if we can reproduce a performance like that against the catalans.

Cesc is out of the Wigan trip after collecting his 5th yellow card = 1 match suspension. That may well be a good thing, the others must show there mettle in the northern wastelands.

Cheer up Rasp,
    If Abramovich does clear off, he will leave Chelsea right up one without a paddle. Silver linings!

I’m cheered Micky :P We’re back on track, but as an integral part of the team :? I must focus on every game as if it were the CL final and implore our boys to do the same :lol:

32. ACC says:

“Wilshere: made a few mistakes through inexperience, but the fact he held his own in such a big game at the age of just 17 is so, so encouraging. Imagine what he’ll be like at 21! 7.5″

Wilshere will actually be 19 on New Years eve/day — small point.I thought he was simply fantastic!!

33. Statics says:

Songinho really made Essien look second class!! owh, somebody please stop me! I just could not forget him since yesterday!!

Thanks ACC, that one got past the editing suite, I’ll nip in and correct it.

Crikey, its infectious. I just made a world class interception as my son attempted to glide past with a plate of chocolate fingers. Won’t be trying that again, the little snake.

36. London says:

A great, great match report; Rocky, I salute you.

I wholeheartedly agree with the thrust of the post, that Chelsea looked like a bunch of over 30 year olds happy to collect their pension, there is a pun in there somewhere.

Where as Arsenal looked like a lean mean Red Machieeeeeeeen.

If you guys thought Song was good from your TV screens you wouldn’t believe how much better he was live.

Awesome, absolutely awesome.

I think we have put that nonsense about him not going forward to bed once and for all.

A great day, a truly great, sunny tropical day with a marching band out there in full swing…….and rightly so……triumphalism…..I despair….if you can’t gloat today when can you gloat?

37. Red Arse says:

Wonderful game, brilliant result, and a superb write up Rocky. :-)

What can be left to say?

Well, apart from ….. Arsene is brilliant, he is a wonderful tactician and a superb manager! :-)

38. Hurray – I have internet!!!!!!!!!!

Morning all

What a wonderful morning to be a gooner, I’m so pleased I had the game to watch again when I got home – I was much too pumped up to sleep.

I’ve heard we (12th man) came across quite well on tv last night but I have to tell you that the stadium was rocking :) Well done to all who were at the ground because we really did make an intimidating amount of noise – not for the whole 90 minutes but pretty much most of the time.

39. Neamman says:

A great display against a dclining team, yeah..lets enjoy it but i will REALLY enjoy when we beat MU nd thos sods up the road!!!! Chelsea have never meant anything to me so while I am happy ..very happy.. its not the “big one” in my mind.
    It looks like mothr nture is bringig British weather to Toronto, its getting cccooolllddd here, -1 last night!! :<(
    5 more weeks and then I can escape back to Thailand!!!!

40. Neamman says:

hahah that should minus ELEVEN not -1. We arn’t such wimps.

41. As Raddy is away skiing would someone like to volunteer a pre-match for the Wigan game tomorrow please?

42. Red Arse says:

You are so right Peaches, well done to you real fans at the game, my sound system was alive with the pulsating roar from the crowd! :-)

Excellent!!!

Welcome back to the internet peaches :P

Just to reiterate a couple of comments from yesterday….

Congratulations to Raddy for getting the team spot on and for his faith in Djourou (before most of us were converted)

Great team selection and tactics form AW. I was a bit worried when Diaby came on as he sometimes takes a while to adjust to the pace of the game and we didn’t want to be giving the ball away cheaply, but it was such a strong team performance that everything was fine.

44. You’ve all run away just cos I asked for a post :(

…..oh, and our site has the best headline banner on the internet … even though I say so myself :oops:

46. Rasp – I’m with you on being worried that he brought Diaby on, I know the guy needs time on the pitch but he can be a recipe for disaster. Saying that, at the time of the substitution the chavs were going all out for their 2nd goal and Diaby gave us extra height.

47. …… and we definitely have the best headline banner on the whole of the internet Rasp :D :P :lol:

48. Red Arse says:

Rasp, Peaches, it is all too easy to take your work on the blog and the photos, headlines etc for granted! Well done and keep up the quality work! :-)

49. Thanks RA, we weren’t fishing for compliments just having a bit of fun. Did you get to the game last night?

This comment was posted by ‘Mr K’ late on Christmas day as a response to my festive message of ‘keep the faith’

……..What a piece of shit. I’m an arsenal fan, and I dont wanna hear this utter tard coming from staunch wenger fanboi’s excusing the lack of progress from this team and the lack of trophies.. it’s not terminal by any stretch.. but to say it’s not a major problem that Arsenal arent winning trophies.. is to say that Arsenal are not a major team.

And if you think that.. then you can kiss my trophy chasing ass. Whats the point of having all this revenue if you dont actually spend it on buying players.. You can talk about Barcelona and academy all you want – they still have the common damn sense to buy talent that will transform their side from nearly men to champions..

Who the hell do all these youngsters have to learn from? Cesc? He hasnt won shat in an Arsenal shirt for them learn from.. and his heart doesnt seem to be in it either.

SPEND WENGER SPEND.

UTTER MUPPET.

….. I don’t mean to denigrate Mr K for his views but simply remind him and others to look at the bigger picture. I doubt he would have written that comment after yesterday’s game …. some 3 days later. We could trip up against one of the smaller teams in the coming weeks and many will repeat this kind of view, but as far as I’m concerned, we turned an important corner yesterday.

51. Red Arse says:

If supporting the Arsenal was like belonging to a Club which espoused sentiments like those above, from Mr K, you would have to firmly include me out!

There is a kernel of valid comment there, when the hyperbole and insults are filtered out, but I suspect that the vast majority of us on this blog would not agree with the manner in which those thoughts have been expressed.

52. Red Arse says:

Peaches, I did not manage a ticket for the game, but still enjoyed every minute of watching on the box.

One minor carp about the game, was that, from my admittedly biased viewpoint, Clatterbum awarded far too many “soft” fouls and yellow cards against the Arsenal, while showing too much leniency to the Chavs, and in particular to Terry.

I agree RA, Clatters has impressed me lately but yesterday he was definitely too lenient on the chavs and as you say, JT in particular.

Having said that, I think getting Cec’s 5th yellow and subsequent suspension out of the way could be a blessing.

I’m very jealous of all of you who managed to be at the game in person – must have been quite an atmosphere. You could really hear the crowd on the TV.

No apologies for the triumphalism – this win feels like a very significant result to me because our team, at this point in its development, seems to be affected significantly by psychology.

Finally thanks for those who pointed about a couple of factual errors in the piece. That’s what you get for writing late at night after far too many celebratory beers…

Hi Rocky,

Thanks for the stupendous report and the clever inclusion of minor errors to get people’s attention.

I can’t help thinking that some of our fans are killjoys, but credit to chris, he left with a good comment about some of our emerging youth players.

56. charybdis1966 says:

Afternoon all, I had to come out of my Mugabe style media lockdown as the opening line of R Lives post seemed like a personal invitation !
    I confess I feared the worst as our form lately had been a touch on the average side so the win came out of the blue and therefore I suppose I am a bit of a doomer at heart(I listen to some black metal and Slayer so what d’ya expect?)
    Did anyone see the post match interview with Ancellotti ?

Two things occurred to me as I watched the post match interviews.

Firstly I have a bit of respect for him as he seems an honourable and decent sort and the interviewer showed him a complete lack of respect; he was basically trying to get Carlo to say “Yes, I expect to be sacked soon”, perhaps we should remember this when we hear some say that only Wenger is picked on by the media.
    Most managers are usually given a rough ride if the hack pack get even a whiff of managerial sackings – however no hack ever tries to take on Lord Fergie of Whiskey.

Secondly I recalled that I was standing exactly where the interviewees were on Friday, as I said on Sunday’s post (for those of you who read it) they are like other parts of the stadium that look bigger on TV than they actually are, they were in little “cubby-hole” rooms where is only room for a few people.

Hi chary,

You’re not a doomer (that’s a term I don’t like to use), you’re just more comfortable being pleasantly surprised rather than disappointed :lol:

Those post match interview rooms (I think there were 3) are tiny – not enough room to swing a meerkat, the camera lies!

58. charybdis1966 says:

It’s why a lot of my TV viewing is comedies,Raspers.
    I ‘m a miserable git by nature so I have to keep laughing as much as possible.
    Yup, three of the interviews rooms on your left as you walk to the main press conference room after you turn right at the end of the players tunnel.
    I got a chav friend who was at the Grove with his gooner son texting me before the game; didn’t hear from him after the game though.

59. Mike says:

Nice post there! Sorry, I don’t have time to make any points about it at the moment. Well, to be honest, I’m a bit hungover after the celebrations that proceeded after our terrific win yesterday, so I don’t think my brain will spout anything worthwhile to talk about at the moment.

Rasp, saw your comment about my ratings yesterday. I’d love to write the player ratings, but I’m not too sure I can make an entire post that’ll inspire the debate the rest of you do!

Just watching Spuds v Barcodes. I also watched Villa-Spuds the other day. From both games it’s absolutely clear that Van der Vaart is (a) a really good player and (b) an appalling cheat who goes down at the slightest touch and manages to con the ref every time. It’s now 23 mins into this game and he has already done it three times. He also did the same trick numerous times against Villa.

Mike,

You’re being modest. It doesn’t have to be a long article – just ‘we were fantastic and won 4 nil, here are my player ratings’ etc :P

Seriously though, you have written some great comments on here and I’d love to add your name to our list of authors.

I never want to see totnum win any game, but how crass were Newcastle to get rid of Chris Hughton and replace him with the mediocre, never won anything, Pardew? – a disgraceful decision.

63. London says:

Still not enough to want to see spuds do anything other than crash and burn.

Rule 4.3 subsection 8 of the Arsenal supporters code.
    ;)

Agreed London,

It’s getting tight at the top, we could do with a surprise Brum victory this evening, and it is amusing to see the chavs outside the top 4 even if it is that shower down the road above them (temporarily)

65. dandan says:

Evening all, good post and comments, glad to see you all so happy.

Does anyone have any idea of a stream for tomorrows game. live on line isnt showing it

As if things couldn’t get any better, joy of all joys, my mother in law has left the building. Oh happy days. Jeepers creepers, that woman has all the grace and charm of a crack Panzer Division.
    Chary,
    Ignore Rasp, you are a Doomer :-)

67. dandan says:

MD89 you have covered her good points, now be honest what dont you like about her.

You know her Dandan :-)

Unbelievably, I think I have just had yet another of my brilliant ideas, and it concerns RvP’s shooting. Now I have never thought that he was very good at it. However, and herein lies the seed of my idea, he can pass with the precision of a surgical knife. So here’s the idea Robin. Don’t shoot. Pass Hard.

70. London says:

You have a great sense of humour Micky, you really put a smile on this site’s face.

71. charybdis1966 says:

You got me sussed MDi89 :)

72. SharkeySure says:

MIDI – can I second London’s point. Panzer ..lol

Micky: Pass Hard – love it!

But I’m a bit concerned by the thought of a Panzer Division on crack.

74. charybdis1966 says:

Talking of Doomers, could this be their anthem, especially the riff at 1:50 to 2:08 ?

Chary,
    Now look what you’ve gone and done with your Black Death Noise. Everyone’s laptops have self combusted, other than mine that is armed with a Doom Detector.

76. charybdis1966 says:

Hehe Mdi89 – it’s scared off the Bros Fans, LOL.

Ever considered a Bond Baddy Role?
    Offski.

78. charybdis1966 says:

Come come, Mr 89, I’m sure we can come to…………….an arrangement.

79. BROS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’ve missed all the fun – and no-one wants to write a pre-match for Wigan – I must be losing my touch :(

Peaches,
    If you are in deep trouble, I am up most very early!
    Nite for tonight.

81. London says:

I have no idea how to write a pre-match.

Mine would go something like this: tonight we play Wigan but do we really want to talk about that so quickly after our magnificent victory or do we want to carry on with some good old fashioned gloating…..think carefully: more gloating or Wigan? More gloating or Wigan? Well, that seems unanimous…more gloating it is then. The Arsenal 3 The Has Beens, fast moving down the crapper 1.

82. London – I have to agree :)

83. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Morning all

Before you start, yes we are resigned to our fate.

84. And the joy continues as B’ham equalise :)

85. Morning gnarley – its been a great day to be a gooner, sad for you aussies though ….. never mind

86. London says:

Wow, that was an unexpected bonus.

87. gnarleygeorge9 says:

On ya Brum :cool:

88. gnarleygeorge9 says:

…….& good morning to u 2 peaches & London.

89. London – I’ve pinched your words for a title for tomorrow.

The only problem with B’ham nicking a point off of the mancs is that we’re there on Saturday :(

90. ……. and Bolton go to Stamford Bridge tmoro night :), they’re playing cracking football without fear, the chavs could be sixth tomorrow night.

The only downside is who’s in fourth place :(

91. Micky – I’ve penned a pre-match, I shan’t be giving you a 10 miniute warning when you get up :P

92. 26may1989 says:

Evening all, and a belated Merry Xmas.

Fab write up Rocky, nothing wrong with some triumphalism after a game like that, especially after a period of pain and disappointment. We all know it needs to be followed up with some consistency, and the City game now looks immense. But last night’s was a must-win game for both sides, and the fact is our lot did it, and in some style, so we all should enjoy it to the max.

I loved Djourou’s intelligent play and the hustle-and-bustle energy of the performance across the pitch, exemplified by Song and Walcott. But a word for someone who I think has been a little neglected: Jack Wilshere may not have defined the game but his performance was as disciplined and hard-working as one could want from a player, let alone one so young. A very impressive and mature performance.

I was there last night with a Chelsea fan as a guest. He was utterly disconsolate at their performance, and could see nothing to suggest that their future holds out anything other than decline. They’ll still be there at the end of the season but there are big issues facing them.

It was fantastic to see the players and the fans approach the game with such energy – the question has to be why both they and we can’t do that more often? We have the squad (too many people have ignored the depth of our squad for too long) and in a season as mad as this one, we need to get the best out of it. We need to exploit the demolition of Chelsea and build on it.

On a personal note, the only negative aspect of the whole game was the behaviour of one of our number. My guest was well behaved and just didn’t celebrate when each of our goals went in. But, despite this being in the Prawn Sandwich Club Level, there was an obnoxious dickhead sat in front of us who felt he had to threaten and abuse my guest. I hate Abramovich’s Chelsea, and genuinely hope they are about to go into decline, but I was plain embarrassed by my fellow Arsenal fan’s behaviour.

93. London says:

Excellent read that 26

You get some real dick head Arsenal suporters in that Club level.

94. 26may1989 says:

You’re right London, I only go there once in a while when doing a bit of work schmoozing crap, reluctantly giving up my West Stand seat, but this guy was way beyond the pale.

But it was still an utterly fantastic evening! Probably our first truly epic match at our new ground, one that I hope we will use as a marker for good times to come.

Now (and apols to Gnarley) to The Ashes….

95. 26may1989 says:

Sorry, one more thing: watching last night, I wonder what Fabio Capello thought of his decision to ignore Walcott last summer.

96. gnarleygeorge9 says:

100 up. Something you don’t here an Aussie say much these daze :cool:

97. gnarleygeorge9 says:

……..but like a pheonix from the flame, its great seeing the word Richmond on top of the ladder. Yes folks, I’m top of the Arsenal-Arsenal fantasy league, or should I say the Mighty Tigers. 1000 up

Morning Gnarley,
    Are you still pissed post Chelsea BBQ as I don’t have a clue what you are on about. Tigers up a ladder in Richmond?

So City after Dzeko. That’s plain vulgar.

Chelsea City. Is the Oily Oligarch really going to want to lock swords with the Oily Sheik, and spend to re-build. These two are not good for the game.

101. gnarleygeorge9 says:

MDI89

If you look @ the fantasy league ladder or table as you call it you will understand.

Anyway, If The Arsenal wins by 5 goals they go top at the hinge of 2010/11

102. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Its great to see that Gooners are finally jumping aboard the Big Johan train.

1st Class ticket here Gnarley!

104. 26may1989 says:

Gnarley, I’m a JD convert, I admit that I’d long ago written him off but every time he has played this season he’s been excellent. I’d still be pleased if we signed another high quality CB but a first choice combo of Vermaelen and Djourou looks pretty good to me.

105. Micky – are you there?

106. gnarleygeorge9 says:

26/MDI89

The more game time Big Johan has been getting, the more strings in his defending bow he has been adding. But be warned, the Arsenal injury curse could be just around the bend ;)

107. I’m going to use your post Micky ;)

Hokey dokey.

Just remember to set your speller checker on high!

111. gnarleygeorge9 says:

Why don’t u have an avatar MDI89?

112. messi says:

I love this site, everything here is true. I can’t imagine how do they find out so many things

113. very nice reading!rich information, i think you should consider add your site to the new business microblogging network

114. Panzar Codes says:

hi!,I like your writing very a lot! proportion we communicate extra approximately your post on AOL?
    I need a specialist on this area to solve my problem.
    Maybe that is you! Having a look ahead to look you.

115. Magnificent beat ! I would like to apprentice at the same time
    as you amend your site, how can i subscribe for a weblog site?
    The account helped me a appropriate deal.
    I have been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright
    transparent idea