Wenger Will Buy in January

The frothing fury of those who feel personally betrayed by Arsène Wenger’s recent comments on the January transfer window has had me splitting my sides.

You will recall that our leader seemed to categorically rule out taking the AFC wallet out of the club strongroom (where it is permanently protected by Peter Storey and some ‘friends’) to add to our squad this January.

I have seen him referred to as a liar, a fraud, a betrayer, a loser, a geriatric and a Frenchman. Not all of those descriptions are true.

What amuses me is how people continually take at face value the comments of a master tactician whose words are carefully framed to hit the right note for multiple sets of ears (the press, his players, other clubs, agents, his own Board and, lastly, the fans).

If some of these bloggers were writing in Renaissance Italy just imagine the headlines they would come up with:

“Lying Machiavelli Is Such A Fibber.”
“Outrageous! Cesare Borgia Has Gone Back On His Word.”

It has been well publicised that Arsenal have plenty of dosh. The last thing Arsene wants is to tip off the entire weaseldom of European football agents that we are in the market for a centre back or a new defensive midfielder.

When we buy this January – as I believe we will – it will be a bolt from the blue. The press won’t get wind of it until it’s a done deal and neither will we. Remember – Arsene left himself a clear get out if he wants to buy. He said he had no intention of adding to the squad unless he had to cover for injury problems. Well, he already has one serious injury problem (Vermaelen) that demands a solution. And given that if our team was a Mister Man it would be Mister Bump, it’s a racing certainty that we’ll have at least one more serious injury before the end of January. Which will mean he will spend.

Of course that’s no guarantee that we’ll all be thrilled with the purchase. Any new signing is far more likely to be from the Koscielny category of megastardom rather than the Arshavin one. But if we haven’t got at least one new member of the squad by the end of January I will eat my hat*.

RockyLives
*My hat is made of marzipan. It’s crap in the rain.

87 Responses to Wenger Will Buy in January

1. Andrew says:

CB – Vermaelen, Djourou, Squid, Kos + Song as backup that’s more than enough CBs
    DM – Song and that’s about it
    so I think a DM might be on Wenger’s card

Heard a lot about this Kara Mbodj who can play both as a CB or DM and have a feeling that he will be our one and only signing of the summer

we have more than enough offensive players, more than enough GKs and Fullbacks.

CB or a DM maybe, one who can play both is I what I think wenger will go for in the summer

I know its not the case but I’m beginning to think that Rocky is London in disguise. Great post even if I don’t agree with you.

Much as I would love to go along with your theory Rocky – Rocky is in Canada so won’t be joining us for a few hours – as recently as last January we had both RvP and Nik injured for several weeks and were crying out for a striker. Chamakh could have been bought at that time instead of coming on a free in the summer.

Whatever sound-bites the great man gives out about being competetive it has to be on his terms and his terms are doing it without adding to the squad.

3. Steve says:

Totally agree .. Why some people believe it is beyond me he will not and never has said I’m buying in jan or summer .. He just does it .. Surely everybody has noticed for the whole time wenger has been here he never gives anything away

4. tumi says:

mr wenger will definitely buy a centre back.he is always quite when it comes to buying players.he knows that if he publickly says he z gona buy players it might kill the confidence of the players we already have.

5. G says:

We have Djourou, Koscielny and Squillaci. Only two of them can play as it is. And Song can play there. Why would we buy another centreback?

6. I don’t think it will be a centre back, mainly because I don’t think we need one but we do need another Song. Both Vermaelen and Djourou can play as DM and maybe AW is going to surprise us by playing one of those instead of Denilson/Eastmond so that we can go on and win the title :)

Good morning.

I here there is a promising teenager in Qatar who can play in goal, centre back, midfield and as a striker.He is “Loinel” Oily Slick.Comes quite cheap.50 quid a week and only request is a camel to take him around .

8. 26may1989 says:

Good post Rocky, I agree Gooners in the blogosphere (me included) are often too quick to take everything that Wenger says at face value, or misinterpret what he actually says.

But I still don’t think there will be any signings in Jan.

Where did you get that hat?

9. London says:

It’s funny you should say that Peaches, as I was reading down I thought, this is such a good post, I agree with all of it. Lol

It’s a long story, I will probably be back in the new year.

BTW, absoutely no need to sell Bendtner but I suspect an offer will be made for him that all sides cannot refuse in the summer.

10. arsenal4ever says:

renat yebaev is rumoured we are already in talks about him. But in the russian press not the english ones so there could be substance into it.

11. London, you could definitely have written that post :lol: nice to see you

12. MikE says:

i tend to quietly agree – nice piece!

what of any outgoings? can he keep vela the cat and the great dane happy with a few short walkies over the holiday period then a family outing to ipswich?

13. Sammy Medora says:

Why don’t you put your dosh where your mouth is? I bet you £10 that Wenger wouldn’t sign anyone in Jan. Deal?

London. Nice to see you …. hope we have the pleasure of your company in the near future. If not – I wish you a merry Xmas and a fine New Year.

Rocky. Just as well I love marzipan! I will counter your wager with the offer of my icing sugar earmuffs should we sign anyone in January.

I feel there is compromise that we may do a swap deal involving bendtner.

great timing schwarzer signing a new deal at fulham.

london if only you knew, your ears must have been burning.Anyway all the very best for xmas and the new year.

Greetings again,
    I won’t repeat my thoughts on DM and CB cover, so, if I had to buy someone for somewhere, it would be a right back. Who could also cover as a GK.
    A long term injury to Sagna would be bad news. I like the snow on the page.

17. Carlito11 says:

I want a marzipan hat! Loving the snow theme on the site this morning (or have I only just noticed?) We are DEFINITELY Mr Bump! (love that!)
    With regard to prospective signings- can we sign someone with a pronounceable name ;-) “Vela the cat” is my new favourite fan-nickname!

Morning,

Great post Rocky, the counter-argument to yesterday’s. If I had to put dandan’s house on it, I’d say we won’t buy in January. However, I do agree with all your conclusions about the motivation and effect of Arsène’s statements, he’s done it so many times before.

London,
    Nice to have you back if only briefly. Peaches flushed you out with flattery when my attempts at provocation had failed :lol: Seriously, we love having you on so come back soon/whenever you’re ready.

19. Joe71 says:

If Wenger says he wont sign then he wont sign. The one thing he hates is spending money. Its this stupidity that has put Arsenal where they are. All he needed to do was to buy a decent defender and goalie in the summer and we would have been 5 points clear at the top of the table by now. This man only wants to do just enough to get us in the champions league every season. That to him is enough success for you lot.

20. Lasylays says:

been playing assasins creed i seé. Good post! But i dont think we buy anyone….

21. rpn_arsenalfc says:

well i also think that we will sign at least 1 player which is wellington silva.. Hahahahaaa… But I do agree with you that beside wellington, it seems we will get another CB who can also play as a DM. While bendtner and vela are potentially be sold. In front we have a very strong squad (chamakh, persie, bendtner/ vela, JET), CM is even better (cesc, nasri, wilshere, rosicky, arshavin, and ramsey), but weakest is DM (song, denilson, diaby, and eastmond). Oya, and please sell Almunia..

I like the snow feature. Very smart.

On consideration, I don’t think AW will buy in January unless he sells, and that is unlikley. The wage bill is very high and has to be a consideration. I think that Almunia, some of the youngsters (reserve players) and possibly Vela and bendtner (sorry Raddy), will go in the summer.

Rasp. NB is definitely not my favourite player – far from it, but I have to defend him from the Danism on the site :-)

Anyone think we will struggle against Ipswich?

Sorry BR.
    If the semi was a uni-pedded affair, then always the possibility of a bad day at the office, but as a bi-pedder, then very doubtful.

Shame the Danism isn’t replaced by Dynamism in Nik’s case Raddy. It’s no wonder he’s big headed when he’s given god-liike status at home and marrying into Royalty. Funnily, if I could give him one trait that he lacks, it wouldn’t be a better first touch but just more aggression so that he would attack the ball better in the box.

We are lucky to be playing the away leg against Ipswich first. Were it the other way round and we were to field a weakened team at the Emirates I would worry, but if we win away we’ll breeze it at home.

29. brian says:

If we are 4-0 up with 10 minutes to go in any game I am normally so pessimistic that I am waiting for the collapse and will settle for a draw but it is totally in-conceivable that we fail to beat a mid-table championship side over two legs with both games being played on excellent pitches and with no rain and wind howling in as it does up North.

Two total twats – Keane and Hughes. Only superceded by Teddy Sheringham.

We have the opportunity to ruin their days (and possibly seasons). Bring them on …

31. charybdis1966 says:

Morning all, I alluded to this yesterday and while it has nothing to do with our spanking(hoped for) of Sparky’s lot tomorrow, turning to the WC shenanigans but I see Football going the way of Horse Racing in that the big players will be Oil rich arabs, most of the nig stables are owned by various royal families from the middle east with questionable attitudes to human rights and democracy .
    We only have to look at our stadium sponsers, the Em*****s for how close to home the boney fingers of middle eastern oligarchs has extended.
    What Sepp Bladder (c. Jackie Charlton) is planning for is a time where more and more teams are owned by various Shiekhs, ManShitty being the start, but by the time the Qatar WC(I mean, Qatar, seriously, Qatar FFS !?)starts who knows how many more major teams will be petro-dollar financed franchises?
    We had the “fake sheikh” who was supposed to save Pompey and Shiteh’s mob are well and truly ensconced in their council house stadium and perhaps we shall see other teams owners ride in on camels between now and 2022.
    Of course I could be way off the mark and Bladder’s committee’s decision may have been a fair assessment of the most suitable place to hold a mid-summer football tournament(!) and in no way influenced by “extraneous” factors…allegedly. I’m merely trying to fathom some reason why Qatar should be ssen as so much better than elesewhere.

Someone posted above that everone here is satisfied with a CL placing each year.

We are a broad church of opinion here and we are neither AKB’s or doomers and to homogenise our points of view on a presumption is lazy and specious.

Chary. Well said (both points)

A sad but totally logical conclusion chary. I don’t think that the state of football will bear any resemblance to today’s by the time we get to 2012. Rather, as we already put club before country (well most of us), I can see the WC being treated with the same indifference as The Eurovision Song Contest and Miss World.

I’m sure there has been arab interest in buying into Arsenal – is it only a matter of time since money is no object?

34. charybdis1966 says:

Raspers, that’s a good way to analogise the situation regarding club v country – the WC will be to football what Eurovision is to actual musical talent.
    I fear the foothold the Em****es group has in our club could well extend in the future to a tangible form of ownership.
    I live for the day when we can call our stadium something else.

35. gunnern5 says:

My old Grannie used to recite this ditty:

One fine day in the middle of the night.
    Two dead men got up to fight.
    Back to back they faced each other.
    Drew their swords and shot each other.

Today this is known as Wenger speak?

36. gunnern5 says:

A Man C blue bar keeps flashing at the bottom of the screen – most annoying!

Hello All. And apologies for the grammatical howler in the first paragraph (teach me to try and post from an airport lounge on an ipad).

Peaches – ‘London in disguise?’ – you flatter me.

@Sammy, who wants to bet me £10 that we won’t sign anyone in Jan: Sammy, betting over the internet can get you into real trouble. One regular on here recently lost his house to another regular. And I’m already in default over a new car I have to get for Carlito, so how about this – if we make no signings in Jan I’ll give a tenner to charity and if we do make a signing(s) you do the same…?

BR: marzipan hat vs icing sugar ear muffs – you’re on.

Lazylays – what’s assassin’s creed?

Don’t get me started on the World Cup. Grrrrrr.

And finally, for Gn5, the rest of your Wengerspeak example:

One was blind and the other couldn’t see,
    So they chose a dummy for a referee.
    A blind man went to see fair play,
    A dumb man went to shout “hooray!”
    A deaf policeman heard the noise,
    And came and shot the two dead boys.
    A paralyzed donkey walking by,
    Kicked the copper in the eye,
    Sent him through a rubber wall,
    Into a dry ditch and drowned them all.
    (If you don’t believe this lie is true,
    Ask the blind man — he saw it too!)

Setting off for London. See some of you tomorrow. Happy blogging, and behave.

Cheers Micky. I also wanted to pick up a point you raised towards the end of yesterday’s comments – about what our first choice CB pairing would be if Verm was fit. You listed:
    TV JD
    TV Kos
    JD Kos
    JD Squil

Funny that you didn’t mention the pairing that will actually (imo) be our first choice pairing:
    TV Squid

40. gunnern5 says:

Rocky.

Thanks for that, I’ve never heard that before. It was obviously too much for me old Grannie to remember – what with having 14 kids and 40 grandchildren and all..

Ah, the good old days of big families. My mum is one of seven and my dad was one of 8.

I’m not sure who that verse is by Gn5, but I remember learning it at school. Maybe it’s Lewis Carroll or Edward Lear. Or maybe it’s just ‘anon’.

42. gunnern5 says:

Rocky,

I just googled the rhyme, there are many different versions and it appears to remain unattributed.

43. charybdis1966 says:

Yeah, see you tomorrow MDi89.

44. charybdis1966 says:

R Lives, Assasins Creed is a “shoot ‘em/slash ‘em up” video game, my 2 boys play it on PS3, but I suspect you may already have known that.

Rasp said

“I can see the WC being treated with the same indifference as The Eurovision Song Contest and Miss World.”

I said “speak for yourself ;)”

46. California Gooner says:

Just curious: any chance of games being canceled this weekend? what is the weather like over in London?

47. Carlito11 says:

Sepp Blatter was asked who his favourite Qatar player was- “Eric Clapton” he replied!

48. I just DO NOT TRUST Arsene Wenger AT ALL.

49. gunnern5 says:

Paul are you “sitcing” us up?

50. charybdis1966 says:

CalifG – conditions are no worse (probably better) than on Tuesday when the Wigan game went ahead so I’d be very surprised if the Fulham game was called off.

Hi Paul – does that mean you agree he’ll sign someone (having said he won’t) or that you don’t trust him to strengthen the squad?

Hi Chary – yes, my teenager has Assassin’s Creed. He claims it’s really good.

53. charybdis1966 says:

R Lives – no doubt he has been raving about Black Opps also; it’s all my boys talk about nowadays.

CalifG – There could be a question mark over the game: it’s been snowing on this site for the last seven hours :)

I don’t blame you for asking – I used to live in California myself and you don’t want to be getting up for a 7am kick off if you don’t need to.

I haven’t heard him mention Black Opps yet – he probably hasn’t managed to scrounge it off a mate yet.

56. Wolfe says:

The main bloke in Assassins Creed II looks just like Cesc. Just saying…

57. Red Arse says:

Rocky,

As usual I enjoyed your prose. :-)

But, and there has to be a but, :-) I am slightly concerned about your logic in saying our excellent manager voices comments/statements artfully designed to hit the right note for multiple ears.

In the case of 90% of the Arsenal fans he has said absolutely the wrong thing.

Almost every Arsenal-blogger/pundit/ex-Arsenal-player expected/longed-for/demanded that he should buy a DM or GK or CB or all three, or a combination of any 2 out of 3.

The howls of derision arising after his comment accusing him of profit-protection/stubborness/incompetence seems to indicate he got this very wrong.

As a Wengerite myself, I fully expected him to buy a CB, so it shows how much I know.

I would have much preferred him to have kept his mouth firmly shut, so that I could dream/argue/challenge other bloggers thru’out January about who he was, or was not, about to buy, and then fall into the usual slough of despond when he bought bugger all! :-)

58. charybdis1966 says:

Wolfe – I always thought that guy from Heroes(Syler ?) looked like Cesc.
    R Lives – it’s the latest version of World at War, quite blood thirsty too; it’s odd I never liked war games as a child, but Chary Major and Chary Minor love it.

Wolfe – is the Cesc lookalike going to bugger off to a different game in a few months time?

Redders: fair point, but I wasn’t trying to suggest that Arsene can please all those sets of ears at once. I think his ‘not buying’ comments were aimed at agents and other clubs (and to a degree at his own players to let them know he believes in them). In this case, it was not what the fans want to hear, but he probably thinks that’s a price worth paying if it means landing a top player in Jan for quite a bit less dosh than would be the case otherwise.

60. Red Arse says:

Rocky,

Can I add to my previous point?

I voiced the opinion on LG some time ago that I actually believe that AW tells the truth, with only minor transgressions. Foe example, he has admitted telling little white porkies about players’ well being/injuries on occasion, although always with their agreement.

I was dismissed as an AKB, which is untrue, (my comments on AA and elsewhere show my admiration for him both as a man and a manager, but he is not God and therefore he is not infallible).

But, when he says he will not buy, (excepting the “Loss” caveat) he really means it.

To think that he is speaking in code, or is trying to mislead Agents or other Clubs, and that he will then strike a deal out of the blue, can only lead to frustration and disappointment when he buys, (as stated in my previous comment) “bugger all”.

So yes, I will accept a £10 bet with you, with the loser giving the money to charity. :-)

61. Red Arse says:

Rocky,

I was typing my last comment before I read your response at 4:03, so there is a bit of “crossing”. :-)

I must have been reading your mind! :-)

62. Red Arse says:

CharyB,

I think Syler can look like who he wants. :-)

RL. I can taste the marzipan now ….. delicious, Anton Berg I think.

The Squill TV could be the dream ticket, at least for a couple of seasons, but my choice would be the youth of JD whom I believe has a great future at AFC.

BTW. Dagli Brugsen are selling a fine NZ Sauv Blanc at 66% discount – only 35 kr (€5) a bottle – fill your boots!!

65. Red Arse says:

BR,

Trust me to always put my foot in it.

I think Kosser and Squidgy are both good, stalwart journeymen. What you see is what you get and what you pay for! Physically frail, EPL naive and merely decent second string back-ups.

Nothing new there, I have said all this before. But being realistic, and choosing from what is available within our squad, the stand out compatible attributes available are the aerial power of JD and the gutsy nous of TV.

But fear not, you can relax, AW thinks I’m a plonker too, and it will never happen! :-)

RA. I am agreeing with you !!

Hang on Redders, I can’t take tenner bets with everyone – I’ll be skint. If AW doesn’t sign someone I’m already in for a tenner with that Sammy fellow and a marzipan hat.

68. charybdis1966 says:

Ok guys I’m signing off now – I’ll catch some of you AA’ers before the game tomorrow for a beer.

COYRRG.

69. Red Arse says:

Just teasing Rocky.

I will just have a bet with myself, that means charity wins, either way, and she is such a sweet girl! :-)

Redders: :) :)

If we had those 2 points extra we had at this time last season we would be top of the League.

At the same point last season we were 11 points behind Chelsea (I think!!)

72. Thats a sobering thought Raddy – 11 points behind the chavs this time last year, do you think they talk about how close we are to them this year ;)

When are you hoping to fly?

I am booked to go on Tues afternoon, d.v. Gatwick is open.

If I get to London I will definitely go to the Partizan game.

I am really pissed about not being able to meet the gang tomorrow

74. What a shame, they won’t need much persuading to lift a Peroni to your good health though :)

75. 26may1989 says:

I agree with Redders at 4.14pm re AW’s truthfulness (hence he won’t buy in Jan) but disagree with Redders at 4.28pm, LK and SS are more than naive journeymen.

In case Gnarly is online, here’s hoping your lot do badly in Adelaide in a few hours….

76. SharkeySure says:

Great Post Rocky…as always.

I never worry too much about what Arsene says in public, because like you, I think he is speaking to so many people at once.

Points already made about the motivation of his own players with his comments ring very true for me.

I can only imagine the level of outrage that his comments have caused on many sites.

77. SharkeySure says:

Mr Bump…lol !!!

Howdy Sharkey. Watching the game tomorrow?

79. gunnern5 says:

Rocky I can only see it being broadcast on a delay by Setanta at 6:00pm.

It’s going to be tough avoiding the score for 6/8 hours.

80. SharkeySure says:

Not sure if I’ll get a stream or listen to it in the car. I’m supposed to be off to Bicester nr Oxford tomorrow. Weather and traffic conditions permitting.

GN5 6-8 hrs?? Even in Canada I’m guessing there’s little chance of success .

Give http://www.atdhe.net a try. They’ve usually got all the PL games listed. I had Tues nites CC on there, and bar two or three first half mini pauses, it was damn near perfect.

Failing that go to Le-Grove posts within 5-10mins either side of the kick off and if you don’t find a stream from there then I’ll give you someone elses house, £100 to a charity of no ones choosing, and a pair of toffee apple ear muffs. I can’t say fairer than that can I !!

81. Benwell says:

I would like Gary Cahill to add a bit of grit, he could play with all of the others and become a stalwart, we have to toughen up defensively.

Gn5 – it’s on live in a pub in Toronto apparently, so that’s where I’m going.

Sharkey: Aaah, Bicester (a joke for the oldies).
    And love your toffee apple ear muffs… yum

Benwell – agree 100%

83. [...] Wenger Will Buy in January The frothing fury of those who feel personally betrayed by Arsène Wenger’s recent comments on the January transfer [...] [...]

84. Rasp are you there?

New post …..

86. Sammy Medora says:

Hey Rocky,

Yes, I accept your condition. I’ll donate £10 to charity if Wenger signs someone in Jan. If not, you do the same.

Sammy