What’s with the negative vibes, man?

Feeling lucky punk? Well are you? I am, and here is why. We are a very good team who have suffered from a mixture of bad form, bad luck and bad refereeing over the past two games. Prior to that we had won two difficult away games and had discovered our fighting spirit.

Does the dire 45 mins v Spurs and the very poor performance in Braga mean we are a poor side fortunate to be in 3rd place?  I would shout a definite “No”. We still have the ability to beat anyone and we are still title contenders. Some may say (and do say) that this side is brittle, lazy, and lacking in spirit; some say we lack leaders, that the defence is a shambles,  the GK is a fool and Mr. Wenger should be reading his P45 on the bus home (are there still P45’s?). Rosicky is finished, JW is overworked, Denilson is not good enough, Nik, Diaby and Theo must be off-loaded, Squillaci is wooden, Koscielny too weak for the PL and Chamakh won’t shoot. Oh, and Clichy is too inconsistent,  Sagna can’t cross and Arshavin isn’t trying. That is without Cesc constantly thinking about Barca!!

Cobblers I say. This team is on the verge of something special. We are in the mix and with a good run can be top going into the New Year. Now I know one could counter and ask “upon what do you base your positive opinion” My main answer would be that I prefer to believe we are going to win than to lose. Plus we have seen this team destroy other sides – it is not so long since we dismantled Man City.

Our away form is good, for once better than our home record. What that shows I have no idea, we have played more difficult sides away!

Villa. We have an OK record against them at Villa Park. They are struggling to adapt to their new manager and the loss of two midfielders (Milner and Barry). The signing of Stephen Ireland looked inspired but he has yet to achieve the influence he showed at Citeh, 20 y.o. Bannan  has been on fine form and is highly rated by Villa fans. Upfront there are the usual motley crue – Heskey, Young, Carew, Agbonlahor and the new rising star Delfouneso. We should have enough to hold them, though on current defensive form we are almost sure to concede and will be looking to our attackers to create a winning platform.

Of course there is a special player in the Villa squad, one who is a particular hero of mine, a man who lit up the green fields of Highbury and many other pastures, a player who was so respected by his  colleagues that they all bowed down to him when he limped up to take his PL medal on that great day at Highbury. I hope Bobby gets some pitch time when we are 3 up with 10 minutes remaining, but unlike Eduardo doesn’t score!

The loss of Cesc for a few weeks is painful – he was just returning to some form, but Nasri has the opportunity to take his creative role. Once again, I lament the absence of Diaby, who plays well in tandem with his French midfield buddy

My team:

I would love to see van Persie start but “chocolate legs” doesn’t seem to have the confidence of his manager.

Finally, much is said about the “5 years”. If one takes out the League Cup (winners in ´94 & ´96) the last time Villa won a trophy was 29 years ago, though to be fair, it was the European Cup! Maybe it is our turn this year  ………

COYRRG

written by Big Raddy

35 Responses to What’s with the negative vibes, man?

1. barumgooner says:

Very good post BR nice positive attitude. 3-0 to the gooners.

2. Tommy. says:

Good article. I love it.

I’ve been lying low ever since BR said I had to pay for Carlito’s new car.

…and on to today’s game.
    Thanks for the positive vibes BR – truth to tell I’ve been a bit wobbled by the last week (particularly the all too apparent fear that ran through our squad when Bale got the first goal for the Spuds).
    But, as you say, when you step back and look at our overall position it’s not bad at all.
    Hard to quibble with your starting 11, but we need Song and Denilson to concentrate properly.
    I’m on a flight back to North America, leaving at 12.00, so I won’t find out the score until I land seven hours later. Here’s hoping…

Morning,

Suitably, rousing post Raddy – makes me look like the antichrist :roll:

And to maintain the spirit of positivism, a lot of our problems are in the head, and if the players can get back the attitude they had early in the season we could do really well.
    Theo, for example, is being written off by a lot of supporters, yet until his injury he was absolutely flying and was picking the right option much more regularly than last season. His return from injury has seen him play a few bit part roles and not really impress, but once he finds his feet again he’ll start terrorising opposition defences again.
    Chamakh was shot-shy last Saturday but has already given us a better return for a newly signed striker than either TH14 or DB10 did when they joined us – yet, again, he is already being written off.
    Patience needed. We will come good again, hopefully today.

Right, off to the Gate and hoping for good news when I land. Have a good day all – I’ll be reading all the comments later.

Safe flight RL.

Good point about Chamakh, he has already scored more goals than I anticipated. If the FB’s or AA learn to cross a ball he may well get over the 20 mark.

9. John says:

Hurray, a blog by a real supporter. Bookmarked!

10. Carlito11 says:

Great positive post BR. I hope we can do well today and rebuild belief. Just caught the car banter on yesterday’s post :-D

Mmmm Bobby starting for AV.

And TR ahead of Denilson, plus Kos plays with JD on the bench

We are going for the win

COYRRG

Great positive post Raddy.

Bobby to start :( thats gonna be hard and special to watch.

What a brilliant half.

I have realised what the problem has been …. S.A.D. The moment the sun shines we play sunshine football.

14. California Gooner says:

Classic! I love it!

Rosicky is finished, JW is overworked, Denilson is not good enough, Nik, Diaby and Theo must be off-loaded, Squillaci is wooden, Koscielny too weak for the PL and Chamakh won’t shoot. Oh, and Clichy is too inconsistent, Sagna can’t cross and Arshavin isn’t trying. That is without Cesc constantly thinking about Barca!!

California. Let’s hope for a repeat of the first half, then (say it softly) we are top of the League!)

Looking good from a pub in Bath. Hi BR.

Hi Micky. I bet every Gooner said “not again” or something stronger when Clark scored. Once again the opposition score with their first shot on target.

Brilliance from TR for MC’s goal

No one can say our games aren’t exciting :-)

JW was magnificent today. So was Chamakh.

So for all that teeth gnashing we are TOTL !!

20. What an exciting game of football – the first half was quite fabulous.

Supporting this team is definitley going to do me in though – scary stuff.

Well done to Samir, Jack and Arsh – I thought Arsh was awesome today :)

Agree Peaches that was AA’s best game of the season

22. Carlito11 says:

Sounds like a good result and can’t wait to catch the highlights! Lovely to see jack scored :-)

23. Carlito11 says:

Just seen a comment elsewhere saying the mank result just goes to show how much Fat Sam hates Arsenal!

I cannot recall a worse performance than Blackburn today. Totally spineless.

25. SharkeySure says:

Ahoy me hearties…..

I watched it as live but delayed buy avbout 390mins after playing taximan to and from football and ballet. Footie for my daughter and ballet for my son…lol.

At 2-0 a friend rings who knows I’m watching, and kets slip that the game gets more intense. I knew that could only mean Villa score.

Anyways, we all know how it ended so I can only agree with Peaches and say – this really is doing me no good.

Great post Radders.

26. SharkeySure says:

Kozzer – wot a perfrmance. BIg John Carew takes some beating in the air, but beat him Kozzer did – repeatedly.

Agreed re that being Arshavins best game this season. I’d almost offer that it was his best game in an Arsenal shirt, as the night he scored four goals he prob only had 6 touches of the ball !!

I love Alex Song. Without him the team just doesn’t seem as solid or fluent !!! His passing range is pretty damn good for a DM. I just don’t know how any Arse fan can not rate him, I realy don’t.

Off to take a peek at the Circus

It was all out war over there during the game. The lack of understanding is frightening – virtually all the derogatory comments I made came to the fore.

We won our third away game on the trot against a decent team. I am happy.

The PL was wild today – could it have been the weather? For me the result of the day was WBA who are proving to be dangerous opponents.

28. Steve Palmer says:

Would just like to comment on Alex Song, have heared a few negative comments about him over the past couple months, without this guy we would be in all sorts of trouble,he in my mind as important to the team as Fabregas, he dosn’t like going backwards his surgeing forward runs and his fighting tackling back should be an inspiration to his team mates,pitty they dont do the same, would like to see JD Or AD or Fringpon by the side of him

29. SharkeySure says:

Well said Steve P. I agree completely.

11 Songs and we’d walk the League due to his fighting spirit and attitude alone !!!

But hey, its not to be is it..?? Cos we all know – we’ve only got one Song !!!

Back in Canada – delighted with the result and, by the sounds of these comments, it sounds like the performance was pretty good too.

One heretical thought… were we better by not having a mis-firing Cesc at the heart of the team? Maybe a few weeks out will do him and the rest of the team some good.

Who had the armband today?

31. Rohan says:

Koscielny had a great game today. Hugely impressive. I truly believe the lad is special. He really has a knack for the art.

As for Nasri, what a player. That triangle of him linking up with Chamakh and Arshavin is getting to be very fearsome. I think we just might be looking at the Premier League player of the season.

A shout out for Rosicky who I thought was great and led the team well after being given the armband. And last but not the least, what gives me the most pleasure is that Arshavin looks to be back. In the following winter months, that boost is hugely important.

Roll on the Arsenal!