Bendtner – Man or Mouth?

Written by CarlitoII

Nik – “Supernik” to some – Bendtner has caused a ripple in the Arsenal news pond recently by being an outspoken advocate of his own abilities. So what’s new? The man’s ambition is loftier than Peter Crouch’s adams apple and his head seems to swell up on a regular basis as if his brain suffers from an allergic reaction to reporters .

The stir seems to be caused mainly by the fact that, after claiming he would leave the club if not given more first team opportunities, he didn’t make the bench against Everton. Let’s start by analysing what the man actually said.

“I’m extremely disappointed with the lack of minutes on the field.”

Well, Nik. You were injured for the start of the season and Chamakh did a great job leading the line so you’ll have to wait your turn.

“I feel I’ve done everything right in getting back to fitness and I’m in the best shape of my life.”

Then you’ll prove it when you come on as a sub. Play well enough and you’ll be undroppable.

“I feel better than before the injury and at that point I was in the starting XI and close to fulfilling my potential.”

Wenger says that all players say this but his data tells him you need to be eased back in. Any fan can see you still have to work on your first touch!

“When I’m 100 per cent fit, I can’t accept sitting on the bench.”

Right, go on… *handing out just enough rope to hang yourself with*

“I’m 100 per cent good enough for the starting XI in Arsenal. I have the qualities and I’ve been sitting enough on the bench in my career.”

Glad you’re so full of self belief, it’s important in a striker…

“If my manager feels differently that’s fair, and he’s the one choosing the team, but then I disagree.”

Ah Nik, the rashness of youth! You disgree with the best manager Arsenal have ever had? Well ok then, um, we really missed you at Everton…

Whatever happened to letting your performances do the talking? If you’re good enough, you’ll play. Any casual observer can see that, in the main, Chamakh has a better first touch and holds the ball up better than any centre forward since Thierry.. My personal belief is that Nik feels threatened by this, and he is probably right to do so. My question to you all is: would we really miss him if he went?

I love the directness that he can bring when he comes off the bench. I love his “never give in” mentality that brought us memorable last minute goals last season. I’m also superstitious, in that I believe we need a good Scandinavian player to bring home a trophy (Limpar, Jensen, Freddy…) – ok it’s my own superstition that one, but one I cling on to! But he’s not the new TH14 is he, and until he becomes the finished article, it would behove him to keep his head down!

Post Script- I wrote this article before the Totnum game and “SuperNik” has since had his chance at Braga. I missed the game sulking but I gather there may be a few words to be said about his performance- I’ll leave that to you!

62 Responses to Bendtner – Man or Mouth?

My orphaned comment from the end of yesterday’s post ……

…..Morning all,

peaches point is extremely relevant. We are desensitised from the match day experience by the amount and quality of coverage we see on TV. I know people who choose not to go to games because they think they get a better ‘picture’ of the game from Sky. This may in some way explain why the atmosphere at the Emirates is not as good as some perceive Highbury was. I can assure any overseas supporters that the ‘Highbury faithful’ are just as vociferous as they always were, but their effect has been diluted by ‘new fans’ and the size and acoustics of the stadium.

As far as I can see, no-one was disrespectful to the manager in yesterday’s debate so I assumne GN5′s comments were aimed at other blogs. As far as our right to discuss difficult topics, that is one of the reasons this site exists with the caveat that any debate should be civilised and reasonable.

This’ll ruffle a few feathers!!!!

In fairness to Carlito he did write this last week when Nik was having a moan in the press but Niks performance on Tuesday night was business as usual – his first touch is appalling, but on the other hand he is a handful and does have passion.

I liked the idea that Neamman came up with of Nik and Theo being a fantastic combo – maybe we’ll see that against Wigan in the cc.

This is the link to Neamman’s post http://wp.me/pNcrc-1OT

Great post for a Friday Carlito.

Nik is certyainly one of those who divides fans. He was poor against Braga and I felt should have been subbed earlier. I think both he and Theo play with a far greater urgency when they come on as subs as opposed to starting. I’d like to see our strikers attack the box more especially when AA or Theo are bombing down the wings. We moan about the quality of our crosses and yet often, there is no-one in the box to receive the ball. This has been going on for years – the emphasis on attacking midfielders as opposed to out and out strikers.

Good morning peaches – or is it ‘Good moaning’ :P

5. :lol: you could be right there – a moaning we will go :lol:

7. We’d better keep chatting then – looks like it’s just you and me kid :)

8. MikE says:

nice piece : nik is nik!

very decent squad player – aw will sell him if and when when it suits him but not mid-season!

and not for a massive fee that would reflect nik’s status as a world class player (his words not mine) probably £3-4m tops with add ons plus a sell-on clause.

9. MikE says:

ps off subject but i do hope notts forest nurse ramsey back and don’t give him 90 minutes too soon?

10. gradew says:

we must be on the side of betner, he is a potential.

Hi MikE,

The value of our players if sold is an interesting one. I would assume that other clubs must be wary of buying Arsenal players after so many fail to perform to the level they did for Arsenal. Nik should be £5-10m as a striker worthy of at least lower half Prem sides.What would RvP be worth? His past few years suggest that he will not manage more than half the games any season so that must seriously reduce his value.

12. Red Arse says:

Nicely written article Carlito. :-)

Sorry Peaches, Bendy and Theo are just not going to cut it!

Rasp, talking of an orphaned comment above, makes me think of ideas, views, philosophies that are generally deemed to be rubbish. No one owns to the hence they are “orphaned”.

The obverse is true, ideas, views, comments that are sound and become accepted have many claimants for the credit.

I say this because the Sun are running an article by their Chief Sports Editor, Howard, which seems to be a direct lift from articles, comments, views lifted straight from AA.

if you haven’t read it he refers to “Wenger ignores a helping hand”. This refers to AW’s apparent refusal to engage Bouldy or Keown to coach the first team defence.

He talks of Wenger repeating the same defensive mistakes; poor tactical/positional defending; and the replacement of Gallas and Sol by our new “lightweight” defenders etc, etc.

I agree with every word printed, partly because I and other AA bloggers (though not all) wrote about them, and suggested the remedy, ad nauseam.

So stand up AA and it’s faithful bloggers, and take a bow! :-)

The meedja as well as AFC obviously do read our comments, and they are welcome!

13. zeki says:

I hate this guy, id give anything to see him leave

Morning RA,

I think yesterday’s debate reflected what a lot of ‘sensible fans’ are thinking. My earlier point about Arsenal players not performing as well for their new clubs would suggest that Arsène is able to get more out of players than other managers and so could be offered as a balance to the ‘he won’t take advice’ argument.

Carew returns for Villa tomorrow. He’s a big bugger, I’d like to see JD play but I think Arsene has decided that kozzer is his number two CB.

16. Red Arse says:

Rasp,

I’m not sure AW does not take advice either.

The main thrust of my argument is that he should appoint a defense coach, (Bould/Keown). I have no idea whether or not Pat Rice or anyone else has suggested this to him,but I can’t imagine why he has not done so.

17. Steve Palmer says:

We got £25mil for Adebayer,surely Bentner must be sold,Adebayer said how good he was and city bought it could we be that lucky again.

18. Steve Palmer says:

Thinking about my last comment, may have to call him a midfielder wouldn’t want to be done by the fair tradeing people

Great title (Carlito or Rasp, whoever is responsible) and quite a prophetic piece Carlito since it was written before the Braga game.
    I only saw the second half versus Braga but Nik didn’t seem up to much. Martin Keown was damning about his performance, basically accusing him of laziness and stupidity.

20. Carlito11 says:

Steve :-D Maybe that’s answer! We need a bit of height and drive from midfield…RA- what? The sun talking sense ;-)
    Where’s BR to defend the Dane?

Hi Rocky,

The article is all Carlito’s.

I think the length of time we persevere with players in the hope/expectation they will make the grade is an issue. I can’t say that I’ve seen a marked improvement in either Theo or Bendtner, but then their progress has been hampered by ijury – usually just as it appears they may be about to step up a level.

22. Carlito11 says:

Rasp- I think you’re right. This is why the Wengerball experiment has “failed” because we constantly live in hope and rather than expectation. Of course Fabregas developed with us and Nasri appears to have made the grade this season. JW is also good enough now that further improvement will only add to his game. But the time taken for players to really step up is the cause of our frustration with the experiment. In this bracket I put Theo, Bendtner and Diaby.We need to buy a couple of finished articles- raise the bar and tell the “kids” that they have to reach their level to get extended game time.

23. Carlito11 says:

Rocky- not sure about “prophetic” ;-) – Bendtner seems to have taken a leaf out of AW’s book in thinking that all he has to do is say he’s great and it will come true! The whole nature of so much meeja chat emanating from the club appears to be based on the idea of “self-fulfilling prophecy” and us fans no longer take kindly to it as it raises our hopes only to see them dashed by the lack of the very qualities they espouse.

24. Carlito11 says:

Great blog on quiet supporters http://ht.ly/3fMFv following from yesterday’s discussion

25. Carlito11 says:

Quiet on here today and all ;-)

This article and many and of the following comments are Danist and we need to kick Danism out if football :-)

HAs anyone ever heard Bendtner say these words or express himself in such a manner direct to the camera? No

These quotes are taken from translated interviews and almost always from BT which is the Danish equivalent of the Sun. Are they true? Highly unlikely but they make good copy.

That Nik has confidence cannot be denied, that he thinks he can be a top striker is also true. Sadly at the moment his desire is not matched by his performances. Should he be sold I believe it will come back to bite us and as a bench striker I prefer him to Vela.

A good point was made yesterday about whether he very top clubs (RM,Barca, Chavs, Inter) would have signed Chamakh and the answer is surely No

27. We love you Raddy for your Danism :lol:

You make a good point – as have others – about Chamakh, why was there no competition to buy him?

Vela has pace, is stronger than Theo and has more tricks. They are both cute – but Vela is infinitely more handsome :P

Theo is English and is being groomed to be the face of Arsenal and English football – call me a cynic but thats why he gets more minutes on the pitch.

Peaches. You are a cynic……

29. Red Arse says:

Big Raddy,

Can I wholeheartedly join you in saying kick Danists out of football. Starting with Bendy! :-)

30. SharkeySure says:

Carlito…you’re lucky you didn’t see him on Tues nite, you would ghave removed most of the ‘balance’ from this report if you had.

To say he played poorly really doesn’t cover it.

Tue’s performance suggested that he has a completely panglossian belief in his own ability.

Great post btw.

31. shakinswedens says:

SS :-D “I’m the best striker, in the best team, in the best of all possible leagues” Dr Niklas Pangloss

32. Red Arse says:

Sharkey,

Where do you posh guys get words like “panglossian”?

Next you will be saying “naively optimistic”.

Oh, I say, you played a blinder sir! :-)

33. Red Arse says:

Shakin,

You sound suspiciously similar to someone whose name begins with”C”. :-)

34. Carlito11 says:

RA- Dammit! I’m a mixed up man in a mixed up world! Just keeping you on your toes ;-)

35. Carlito11 says:

I think that word has had a couple of outings too many on here- my fault, I started it!

36. Red Arse says:

Shakin/Carlito,

I think you are being far too panglossian in expecting us to believe you intriduced the word to AA.

Sharkey will scratch your eyes out! :roll: :-)

37. Steve Palmer says:

Nice to see you lot have swallowed a dictionary, but theres only one word, i can think of to describe our great Dane (USELESS)

38. SharkeySure says:

Thats a bet lost for you Red,….it WAS old Shakin who had us all looking it up last week.

39. SharkeySure says:

Oh andRd…I’m more of a kick ‘em in the bollox man, than an eye scratcher outer !!

40. Red Arse says:

Sharkey,

I’m glad that’s been settled amicably. :-)

For myself, I would hate to be thought of as a pedantic, pretentious sesquipedalian, or heaven forfend a compulsive polysyllabricator! :-)

No siree Bob, I leave that to you two! ;)

41. Red Arse says:

Sharkey,

I never believe in letting the facts get in my way. I can always make them up later! :-)

But then, how come you say Shakin introduced the word, when Carlito now claims to have done so. Are you trying to get them to scratch each other’s eyes out? :-)

42. Carlito11 says:

Ra – :-D *reaches for dictionary*

43. Frothing Inarticulate Loon says:

Lol Red….Sharkey says he can’t keep up with your craziness.

He’s asked me to fill in and say nite !

Nite !

That’s mighty fancy talk from some high in the saddle hog-swogglers!

45. Red Arse says:

I would agree with you BR if I could get my head around your horn swaggling lingo! :-)

Yeehaw!

Night Frothing, lovely to see you again! :-)

Areet lads, It’s nite, nite from me too!

RA. You clearly do not know that in West Tuscon hog-swoggling is the polite form of horn swaggling (- which if you google is a fine term that I may have to use !!) ;-)

47. SharkeySure says:

“It’s a landmark day for AA peaches; Carlito’s post will see us pass half a million visits – not bad for 9 months!”

Thats very good going…congrats to all.

48. Carlito11 says:

Congrats peaches and rasp- thanks for posting me today and making it look good with the pic and everything. Great stuff and well pleased to be involved :-)

Does Carlito win a new car for being the author of the post that delivered the 500,000th visit?

RL. Yes he does. We have taken a straw poll and you are lucky enough to have been chosen to pay for it.

No worries Carlito, it’s a collective effort, we can all congratulate each other :P

52. barumgooner says:

Hello evry1/any1
    I havn’t been able to face talk of the Arsenal since Wednesday for fear of reading all the doom and gloom. I too felt awful watching us lose to a very average Stoke type of side but at the same time dont think we were all that bad or that it should be the time for us to call time on any player or players. In my opinion the team did ok against a home side who basically shut up shop and allowed us to pitter patter about in front of them. IF the penalty had been given as it should we would indeed have won the game i’m sure and we would all be talking of the resilient performance, new found strength etc etc etc.
    The truth is we should never have lost to that side but we should never have needed to win either. The mistake was made in the last game by fielding a weakened side through arrogance and then being put in this position…..but thats not what I wanted to say. I want to stick up for Nik, to me he is a good striker. Yes he touch isn’t the best but his enthusiasm, confidence and self belief are qualities which are seldom seen lately in our players. I watched the game on Tuesday and heard Smudgers comments and to a degree he is right but how much of that is Nik and how much is the system. A good centre-forward cannot operate in Arsenals structure where the ball is rarely crossed from wide areas and rarely is a long-shot taken which may give a thumble to a greedy poacher. In my humble opinion no goalmouth striker in the world would be prolific in the system we adopt which makes all of our boys push further back and wider in search of the ball. Our (aw’s) line up of 4-3-3 0r 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 or whatever it is doesn’t work pure and simple. Go back to the line ups that actually achieved something and play 4-4-2 then we will see what strikers we have at the club. But then again that wont happen because of Mr Wengers refusal to concede that his ideas have not all worked. The difference between a good leader and a great leader is that one is open to other views and ideas.

53. barumgooner says:

Sorry ranting again. Just aswell nobody is on at this time of night !!

Hi bg,

Rant away, that’s a post in itself. I agree about fielding a weakened team against Shakhtar. I said the other day that if we’d have won that game we wouldn’t have lost to totnum. We need to go on an unbeaten run now including the game against the mancs. The run in to the end of the season is looking pretty good. If we can finish this year in 2nd or 3rd, we will be in with a chance of winning the Premiership.

55. barumgooner says:

True Rasp. We are in a very good position with key players coming back. Mainly TV. He is the key imo.

56. barumgooner says:

Flappy
    Sagna Squilly TV clichy/Gibbs

Song Cesc Denilson Nasri

Walcott/RVP NikB/Cham

57. barumgooner says:

Thats what I want to see. 4-4-2 with Song as the new Parlour. Only one to deliver a cross all season, should be on the wing.

Barum. You make some good points, particularly about how our structure doesn’t favour the strikers. With the play so compressed by the one touch football strikers have as much chance as midfielders to score. Even Wrighty in his pomp would struggle to get through the packed defences we face every week.

And the cricket is turning out to be a mons as well. ….. Could it be One Nil down, 2-1 up?

New post…….