Tippy Tappy football to Nowhere.

Written by kelsey

Good morning (or is it????)

Last night was a totally inept display, no passion yet again, no leadership on or off the field, no confidence and quite frankly before half time I lost interest watching the team I support.

Undoubtedly we should have had a penalty, but I doubt it would have changed the game that much, or the performance. It also brings into question how on earth the fifth or was it the sixth official didn’t see Vela brought down.

We will beat the whipping boys Partizan Belgrade and finish runner up, and it says a lot that, everyone will want to draw The Arsenal for the next stage of the competition.

Wenger admitted, and not for the first time that he took a gamble with Cesc, and it back fired big time. He is clearly unfit and appeared to be quite nonchalant in his performance on the pitch. His first attempt with a free kick in a central position was literally a timid lob which hardly reached the keeper. Others were just as bad though Djourou and Gibbs did at least show a resemblance of wanting to actually play, and I must emphasize we were playing an out of form mid table Portuguese side.

My advice to Bendtner is to marry his beloved princess and retire gracefully to some remote castle in deepest Denmark.

There will be in some quarters increasingly loud chants of “Wenger Out” but it will never happen. One has to seriously question where is this ‘mental strength’ that we continually hear about, and why for the umpteenth time, we keep having players on the field who just aren’t fit. He literally is running out of excuses.

He must take the proportion of the blame and though he will argue that we made 7 changes from the Spurs game, it was if anything a worse performance, in fact was it a performance?

Yet again we make life difficult for ourselves from going from the top of the group to the embarressment of having to win the final game to qualify for the knock out stages.

The last goal summed it up for me. Our three players could not dispossess Matheus, he was too strong, determined and quick – if  it had been us scoring we would be waxing lyrical, but actually it felt like a dagger in the heart.

If ever there was a need to buy in January, it has to be NOW, and as a highest priority.

69 Responses to Tippy Tappy football to Nowhere.

Kelsey,
    That pretty much sums it all up very nicely, although as I said to BR earlier, I am really not in the mood to think about the ref, as frankly, that is an irrelevance in the light of recent results. Like you though, I am totally in favour of two royal weddings next year.
    Undoubtedly its goodbye to Vela, Bendy and (one more injury and out) RVP.

2. Carlito11 says:

November, bloody November! What is it about this month that in recent seasons has seen us f*** it up so royally? Last season we had injuries but with the notable exception of TV (and some might say Diaby)we should have more than enough bodies to play a fit team full of creativity. So why risk Cesc- especially as he has clearly been playing with his foot on the brake pedal?
    The need is for a defensive coach to get the back 5 +2DMs drilled and solid- come back Keown or Adams! I heard a rumour that Schweinsteiger has just 6 months on his contract and could be open to a move to the Premier League. If that is the case we need to invest money in January in the DM position and he’d make a cracking signing. He could also teach Song/ Diaby/ Ramsey a thing or two about playing in that position. If TV doesn’t recover- and achilles trouble normally doesn’t clear up quick- another CB is also needed IMO. Dark days, November days.

Someone, somewhere say something to lighten the darkness!

4. Carlito11 says:

Kelsey- thanks for the write up. It must be hard to write these match reports right now. I am not sure I share your optimism about the Belgrade game at home- the way things are going :-(

5. tommystout says:

Fine summary Kelsey.
    Its not been a very good November has it? lets hope it doesn’t get any worse on Saturday.
    I actually laughed when that second goal went in, a laugh of submission that we deserved it and also hope, that this is the kick to the preverbial rear end that we surely need.
    Jack was apalling last night but then again nobody shined, except for JD in my eyes. Super Nik, wants to keep his opinions too himself, at present he is out 3rd striker, end of.
    It should be noted that we conceeded once that we were down to 10 men and making do with Denilson at right back. But nevertheless we should have had them beaten by then. Braga with their tactical fouling and surely bribed referee and the blind men behind the goals with unwaving potter style sticks, aside – it was surely up to us to break them down.
    Yes we need to buy in January, though who and for where i do not know. But sureley we do not need another attacking midfielder.

It is hard to write such a post,but we keep seeing the same thing time and time again.

If this carries on, I am going to start watching cricket!

8. tommystout says:

Anyone know the nationality of the ref last night?

Or “I’m a celebrity get me out of the jungle!”

tommystout,
    For fun, lets say French!

11. tommystout says:

MDI89 as long as you dont sink to the “strictly” level mate!

12. Red Arse says:

Gloomy times indeed.

It is difficult to find anything upbeat to say, but for me there is one ray of sunshine.

I have never taken to lead boots Bendtner and that display last night should put to bed any pretensions he has, or any delusions AW has, of him being a professional footballer.

An ex-Arsenal favourite, Alan Smith, commentating last night, said that as a centre forward he was bemused by the positions Bendy was taking up. What out on the left or right wing? Or playing like a midfielder, with all the sluggish pace of Denilson?

Then this morning I realised Wenger agrees with me!!

The newspapers are full of his determined bid to buy, in January, another French forward colossus, the 5’7″ Gameiro.

Now that has got to make you laugh ….. doesn’t it?

tommystout,
    It can’t be far behind now.

Was the ref Hungarian. Whatever he is, he now has a nice house by a golf course in the sun!!

What is needed is not 2 more corrupt officials but the use of available technology.

But as I said earlier nothing can remove the sheer awfulness of that performance.

15. charybdis1966 says:

Morning all, TommyS – I think the ref was Hungarian.
    I too laughed when the 2nnd went in, I was punch drunk by then and had used up all my anger in hearing the 3 spud goals go in and the first goal while Eboue was being stretchered off.
    Of course we need to buy in January but I’m pretty sure I read somewhere Wenger has categorically ruled that out.
    Kelsey – you were remarkably restrained in your write up, well done.

16. Red Arse says:

Sorry Kelsey, I forgot to say thank you for a brave attempt to right a balanced article. I could not have done so.

The ref was/is Hungarian, and is apparently highly rated by Uefa. It is no excuse, but that was probably the worst refereeing performance I have seen in many years. He was a total embarrassment, as were the girly tumbles and squeals of the Braga players, who played him for a fool.

Aside from the debate over whether to sign a striker, DM, CB or anything else, what I think would be invaluable is simply sighning a big name winner with big muscles. It would give the whole squad a lift by injecting some fresh blood and verve. He must be an established world class player to have the impact.
    My vote would go to Fatima Whitbread.

18. Sad Sack says:

HUNGARIAN

19. Tim says:

I understand the disappointment, but we are where we are. This is a squad which was good enough to hammer six past both Braga and Blackpool early in the season, and tough enough to eke out battling wins at Wolves and Everton more recently.

The players are occasionally tough, but not consistently so. We lack leadership in the spine of the team – a Vieira or a Campbell in their pomp – who will not allow the team to sit back when they get nervous, but instead step up to the challenge and press the ball even harder. Vermaelen can do this for us – I’m not sure anyone else in the current squad can.

We are too passive in difficult situations, and the second goal last night was a prime example of this. Three defenders around Matheus. One of them should have stepped up and tackled him – or at least fouled him. Instead they all backed off. Sol would have just flattened him.

Wenger is partly to blame for the players’ attitude, but leadership isn’t something you can really coach. The players either have it or they don’t. With the exception of Tommy V, they don’t.

RA,
    Gameiro: can assume he is twelve and one for the future?

21. Red Arse says:

Micky, Gameiro is apparently 23/24 years of age.

RA,
    Well that rules him out then!
    Whitbread for Arsenal, I say.

23. Red Arse says:

Oddly enough, a man I never thought to much of as a referee has said, just as AW has, that the Uefa/Fifa 5 man refereeing team does not work.

What is the point of them? Well apart from allowing that plonker Bladder to postpone video technology.

24. Red Arse says:

Nil desperandum, Micky.

He is a key part of AW’s bold plan to eventually have 11 fit midgets playing for us. :-)

Septic Bladder.

26. Red Arse says:

Sorry, the man I never thought much of (above); is Graham Poll. I still have difficulty naming him! :-)

Semper ubi sub ubi

I am going away as I cannot take things seriously at the moment.

29. Carlito11 says:

Another DM I really like is DiRossi at Roma. Him or Schweinsteiger- big men, tough tacklers, on-field leaders… anyone else in the fantasy football stakes? Essien? ;-) The only refuge from misery is fantasy!

30. king gooner says:

depressed,seriously depressed-”black november again”-it’s like groundhog day-& it’s not over yet.with “the villans”to stick the knife in this saturday to finish the job-lord save us!

Now here is a lad I seriously rate. Jose doesn’t like him and he will be available. Short-term as a back up to Song or ahead of him in selection he would fit in well.
    And he is BIG

32. Billboy says:

One DM of really high quality would only show how bad the defence is. Bad buys from someone with absolutely no idea how to organise a defence. Yet again a performance totally lacking in heart and spirit. 52 years of watching this team is about to end, only Don Howes team pre GG came this close to turning me off. I think strictly come dancing might be the answer.

33. Carlito11 says:

BR- I like Diarra too- will Madrid sell? He was a hit there under previous managers. Maybe a loan move? Billboy- I feel what you’re saying- it’s gone through my head more than once that “this is it- no more!” but who am I trying to kid?! I’d be a gooner even if we were in League1

34. Billboy says:

Carlito, you’re probably right. I wish you weren’t but I think you are. Arsenal forever!

35. Danish Gooner says:

Forget it,it is as likely that he will buy the necassaty players in january as it of me winning the lottery.He will wheel out one of his tried and tested excuses like no value for money,hard to find quality in a down spiralling market or the icing on the cake,i stayed up all night and we came very close.

How many times have I said to myself “you are nuts, this obsession is causing you and your family distress”? But a win and I am back in the groove.

Arsenal is for Life…..

37. charybdis1966 says:

Way to make us get over the humiliation of Saturday boys(Arsenal players) !
    You really showed how much the Spuds defeat hurt buy your performance last night.
    This must be what being like a dipper felt like a month ago.
    Dark days indeed to be a gooner.

38. charybdis1966 says:

Danish, as I said earlier, I’m sure I read somewhere Wenger had categorically ruled out any purchases in January.

39. brian says:

Just how bad was Bendtner.
    Just how ineffective was Rosicky.
    Just how useless was Walcott.
    Just how ineffective was Denilson.
    Just how crap at free kicks and corners is Fabregas.
    Just how off it was Wilshere{ok we’ll forgive him}
    The list could go on but I for one am getting fed up with this tippy tappy possession football with no end product.Apart from crosses and coming out to Walcott I cant remember their goalkeeper having to make one save..

There seems to b a general discussion as to how poor we were collectively and the ref’s bias against us.

I cannot accept that we have a stronger squad than in the last few seasons and AW is responsible.
    if only he would venture into the PL and buy no nonsense players who would need little or no adjustment.Scott parker is an example.

Which top club has 3 keepers and not one has an outstanding claim to be number 1.

A good team doesn’t turn into a bad team overnight,but are we really that good.

Then again injuries.We supposedly have the best facilities in the land then either a player is fit or not.It’s not rocket science,is it ?

The future may be bright with the likes of Gibbs,Wilshere,JET and ramsey and (possibly Walcott) but there is just too much deadwood in the squad.

I reserve judgement on Squilli and Kos and to an extent Chamakh.

Vela and bendtner can go for all I care.

the trouble is now for the next month or so we are very much dependant on nasri to conduct,with AA as his side kick,and Rosicky for the chorus.

41. Carlito11 says:

In Nasri we trust!

42. Red Arse says:

BR,

I think Mahamadou Diarra was the bees knees 5 years ago. Absolutely top class but he is now injury prone and about 31 years old. Just what we need to add to our growing ranks of injured. :-)

Brian, your comment is spot on.

brian, you read the headline :)

44. Michael Thomas 4 says:

Got to learn to work hard defensively for the point. It was all we needed so playing “our” way is nonsencical when asked to play for a result away from home. Should of had pen no doubt but our heads went down once denied it. Bendtner cannot do the target man job, his touch is too heavy, Denilson not strong enough and midfield with or without Jesus the midfield is not working back. Injuries are really unfortunate but think Villa will be a win, as we are so unpredictable. Get the feeling Fabs is being flogged b4 his inevitable sale? Djourou again steadily improving.

Diarra is “supposedly” 29, but who knows , he could be the same age as Kanu.

MT4. I do not accept that Fab is going anywhere.

Kelsey. None of the 45 goals shipped this week were down to Fabianski. I agree he has cost us points this season but to be fair to him we would have lost to both Wolves and Everton had Almunia been in goal. He appears to be improving and I believe we need to stick by him.

NB had a stinker but to sell him would be a knee jerk reaction, he has played less than 3 games this season and is slowly coming back. I am also certain that AW told him to come deep for the ball otherwise our captain would have given him an earful, perhaps the idea was to pull the CB’s forward and create space for others. Who knows – but I agree in that he was awful last night.

The post you wrote is an accurate reflection only JD and Gibbs earned their corn

Kelsey. None of the 45 goals shipped this week were down to Fabianski.

WHAT ;)

It just felt like 45 goals :(

48. Red Arse says:

Kelsey,

Are you trying to say our Big Raddy is on the jungle juice early? :-)

I thought he was referring to all the Premier League goals, but Rasp could be right, the 5 goals we blew just felt like 45.

49. Carlito11 says:

Loving the gallows humour lads! :-D

50. Red Arse says:

Carlito,

Gallows humour? You saying we are for the drop? :-)

Well, I was feeling really miserable reading through the comments until I got to Micky’s suggestion for the big strong marauder we need in midfield: Fatima Whitbread.
    Made me laugh out loud.
    Thanks Micky.

The only consolation I can take is that we’ve been here before and the team has pulled it round and got a decent run going. We still have a squad of highly talented players despite recent results.
    Today I am deciding to keep the faith.

You know what I meant you pisstakers :-)

54. Red Arse says:

Rocky,

I confess I did not laugh at “Fatima Whitbread”. Who he?

I assumed he was an Argentinian hardman, with big cohones!

Redders, that just made laugh again.
    And then there’s BR with his questionable goal tally.
    You fellows are really cheering me up.

56. Red Arse says:

Tomorrow Guys.

Hope the crappers of WH Lane collapse like ….. well like us really! :-)

How was the flight RL? Have you gone over to see the THFC v Bremen game?

58. Brigham says:

I like many others did not enjoy watching that game last night as Kelsey correctly said, it was an inept display by all of them with possibly the excepion of GIbbs and Djourou.

Bendtner had the chance to step up to the plate last night and on that performance he would have trouble stepping up a 6 inch pavement. He, along with Walcott continue to fail to impress, with Walcott living on the England game two years ago and that hatrick against Blackpool. Time for both to move on in my book.

I actually thought last nights pathetic attempt at playing football was worse than the defeat against Spuds as at least the Spuds are actually playing decent football these days, as much as it hurts to say that. Braga are a no nothing team, who probably compare to someone like Cardiff or Wolves. Yet our superstars are so busy counting their weeks wages they forgot to take it seriously until it was too late.

I fear for us on Saturday as Villa has never been a very happy hunting ground for us most of the time, but knowning our lot of primadonnas they will get a result and the cracks will be papered over once more.

Arsene spending money on some ‘proper’ players in January? More chance of me winning the lottery I think.

Right now, I am finding it very hard to keep the faith like you Rocky and think that Wenger is slowly losing the plot. My Jack Russell has more mental strength!

BR – Flight was smooth. I shall be at a party getting off my t*ts tonight, even though the idea of turning up in Hades as a Bremen supporter would be fun…

60. myredarmy says:

One must also ask, what the fuck is the ref doing?

61. Charybdis1966 says:

Just to complete a truly miserable 5 days in the life of a gooner I’ve got a volley of gloating texts from a spud saying”all the best teams have qualified with a game to spare, better luck next year!” Can things get any worse ?

Chary – we’ll know the answer to that one on Saturday.

Yes it can get worse. A Siddle hatrick and England with their backs to the wall after just one day of the Test.

I can just see GG with a smirk on his Tassie face

64. charybdis1966 says:

Radders, England will have to bowl well to keep the first innings deficit low, bu tat least one goner(GG) will feel happy today.
    Talkshite are running poll “Are Tot***ham more entertaining than Arsenal?” – to be honest, at the moment they are.

R Lives – what price a late Pires winner to condemn us to our 3rd defeat on the spin on Saturday ?

Spurs…….

One swallow does not make a summer

Or You can’t make a silk purse out of a pig’s ear

Or a Leopard cannot change his spots

Or All that glisters is not gold

Or From the sublime to the ridiculous is just one step……. etc etc etc

66. charybdis1966 says:

How about “A flash in the pan” Radders ?

New Post

68. Brigham says:

What about this old one Radders…

Form is temporary, class is permanent.